PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely vital summer signings

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 09:53 AM
We all know that we wont strengthen properly this summer and this team needs about 8 quality players to mount a title challenge. But what are the absolute must gets in order for the club/manager to avoid gross negligence yet again??

Right Back replacement for Sagna - How this chump has got anywhere near the team this season is beyond me. Wenger at his non ruthless best. He should have been benched. Jenkinson is not the answer - we need a world class RB.

Striker - Pod and Giroud are decent enough but they're not great. The biggest thing that wins you the league is quality in the final third, nothing has proved that to be true more than Manure this season.

Centre back - replacement to Merts/Verm. Verm's shot. Merts has been very decent but he still scares the crap out of me. He's got the turning speed of a cruise ship and is just too damn slow. He's a top 4/5 team defender. If we want to push on we need a world class CB to play alongside the excellent Kos.

Midfield and GK also requires more quality but that's pushing it.

If we sign 3 quality players in those positions then it's progress IMO.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2013, 10:02 AM
A quality forward is essential IMO. Our current strikers are fairly limited and rely heavily on the service of an average midfield. Jovetic could fit the bill, he's not overly prolific but from what I've seen he's a better footballer than Bif/Theo/Pod. How many times this season have we needed a touch of class up front?

I'd also like to see a more dynamic CM come in, it's a position we've hardly strengthened in for years. Mainly due to the misplaced faith shown in Diaby.

Defence is fine but Sagan will need to be replaced if he goes. Some competition for Chesney would be welcome also.

Munchies
20-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Mignolet/Begovic from Sunderland/Scrotes
Pisczek (Dortmund's RB)
Jovetic (Is said all the time, but his goal record isn't that great imo)
Capoue or Gonalons CDM (Haven't seen them, but they're the only CDM's we've been linked with.
An attacking midfielder, for Rosicky's replacement.

http://hikiculture.net/download/file.php?avatar=434_1304452697.gif

Shaqiri Is Boss
20-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Mignolet/Begovic from Sunderland/Scrotes
Pisczek (Dortmund's RB)
Jovetic (Is said all the time, but his goal record isn't that great imo)
Capoue or Gonalons CDM (Haven't seen them, but they're the only CDM's we'

http://hikiculture.net/download/file.php?avatar=434_1304452697.gif
You utter bastard.

Munchies
20-05-2013, 10:07 AM
You utter bastard.

?

Marc Overmars
20-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I also thought there was a fly on my screen...

LDG
20-05-2013, 10:09 AM
:haha:

Did you swat it Sibbles?

Shaqiri Is Boss
20-05-2013, 10:11 AM
:haha:

Did you swat it Sibbles?
I stalked the bloody thing until it was time to pounce. Even looked at my finger afterward like a confused cat.

Munchies
20-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Sorry for that :lol:

Saw it on another forum, and it tricked me too so I thought of using it here

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 10:13 AM
:lol:

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Defence is fine but Sagan will need to be replaced if he goes.

Sagan needs to be replaced because he is shit. Makes no difference if he wants to stay. He absolutely needs to be replaced.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2013, 10:23 AM
He's been a turd burglar this season but I don't think 1 season makes or breaks a player.

If there's an opportunity to upgrade and get Pisczek then great, but I don't view it as essential.

Japan Shaking All Over
20-05-2013, 10:27 AM
We need a true DM. . .if we were after Capoue in Jan then I dont see whywe shoildnt be going back in for him. . .unless of course they are asking too much or we didnt offer enough

Dennis Bendtner
20-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Two players with real quality in attack are the ones that would potentially make a real difference. We could improve everywhere in theory, but it's doubtful that marginal improvements in other positions are going to have much weight in pushing us to 'challenging' level. The attack is where the difference is made in the games against the top six where we've been blunted easily.

I reckon it would be quite good if Sagna signed for another year and was kept as a utility defender to play CB in emergencies too so we could buy a new RB but I don't expect him to turn down offers from France. So a new RB would be on the agenda anyway.

I_Killed_Kenny
20-05-2013, 10:53 AM
GK needed but i think an experienced No2. BUT i cant think of any. The only ones i can think are about the same age as chesney and/or have the same experience.
RB - Pizszcek
CB - Sakho from Psg
DM - Matuidi and one of gonalons/capoue
CF - Higuain

selassie
20-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Absolutely Vital/Essential

At least one top class Centre Forward, TBH I would be very happy with Jovetic, he is a top class player. We need to spend money in this area though, no "projects", we need as close to the finished article as possible.

Pretty Vital

Goalkeeper, Begovic or Adler would be very good signings.

Centre Back, not sure who, but a experienced-ish CB to compliment Kos would be nice. Don't get me wrong I do quite like Merts...but if we could upgrade this position we potentially would have the makings of a top class centre-back pairing.

Right Back, assuming Sagna leaves we will need one and he will need to be replaced properly. That chap at Dortmund is a good call but I don't think we'll be able to attract him.

DM, Gonalons at Lyons looks a good player, would like him here.

[Areas that need looking at]

Depth in Midfield could be improved, the likes of Diaby, Coquelin & Frimpong are surplus to requirements IMHO, an emerging talent would be nice in this area.

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I know Chesney has had a poor season but he did remind us of his quality with a couple of fantastic and crucial saves recently. One against QPR when we were one nil up and one against Wigan when it was 1-1.

I can't help but think he could come good if we stick with him.

I_Killed_Kenny
20-05-2013, 11:09 AM
yep i too have faith in chesney. think getting dropped was needed to keep him on his toes. but he needs an older head to just be there to giude him and give enough pressure for his place.

selassie
20-05-2013, 11:11 AM
I know Chesney has had a poor season but he did remind us of his quality with a couple of fantastic and crucial saves recently. One against QPR when we were one nil up and one against Wigan when it was 1-1.

I can't help but think he could come good if we stick with him.

He's a good goalkeeper but he needs proper competition for his place, he became way too complacent and TBF Arsene did the right thing by dropping him.

Fabianski isn't a great alternative, sure he did pretty well when he came in...but he is very injury prone and has too many flaws IMHO.

If it means we need to spend 10-15 million on bringing in a quality keeper to fight it out with Chesney then so be it.

We will only benefit given that we will have 2 good goalkeepers to choose from.

LDG
20-05-2013, 11:17 AM
yep i too have faith in chesney. think getting dropped was needed to keep him on his toes. but he needs an older head to just be there to giude him and give enough pressure for his place.

I'd go with that.

He's a talented lad, but it's no coincidence that a Goalkeeper looks better when he has a solid defence in front of him too.

I_Killed_Kenny
20-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Spot on LDG. with BFG and Kos keeping the CB partnership has shown how solid we can be. Chopping and changing causes to much confusion and doesnt allow for understandings to be built. Stable, solid defence and a good experienced no2 and I can see chesney being our No1 for the next 10 years

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-05-2013, 02:27 PM
the inevitable 'vital summer thread'. how many is that now? 5th year in a row? :lol:

anyway selling song and not replacing him was one of the biggest fuck ups he's ever made. its no coincidence we've been nowhere near 1st place since we sold flamini tbh, the last real DM we had, so to sell song (who papered over the cracks) and not replace him was immoral. say what you want about flamster but he was bloody effective. then we had song who was a downgrade and a pretty crap DM tbh but he still managed to become a vital cog in our team due to his responsibilities. i cant remember how many times ive said 'we need to sign a DM' but im getting sick and tired of it. arteta is no DM. he is good alongside a DM i.e. like last season. he links up play and keeps things flowing, he is not the person who should be putting his body on the line and making the crunching tackles. signing a DM would add aggression and presence in our midfield and prevent teams steam rolling us like they were doing at the start of the season.

a world class striker. if we kept van persie he'd have won us 10 extra points over the course of the season. that makes you title challengers.

a centre half if verm goes.

if sagna leaves promote cafu. realistically he aint signing a right back is he.

keep fabianski as back up he's been decent.

Ollie the Optimist
20-05-2013, 02:45 PM
i think we need a keeper, cesar from qpr would be great, a decent cb, ashely williams from swansea would be good as back up to kos, per and depends if vermaelen stays. if sagna goes, id go for micah richards instead of a cb as he can play both

midfield, if we can fabregas and joevitc in our midfield and a top class striker, we will have the makings of a very good squad.

The Emirates Gallactico
20-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Goal Keeper is 50/50 for me. Chesney has looked dodgy at times but reassured others. Whether he's enough to win a title is another matter and thankfully a decision I'm not paid to make.

In order of piority

1) Centre Forward: Top top quality centre forward to replace you know who. Someone who can bang in 20+ a season, create something out of nothing & isn't so utterly dependent on service and can contribute to overall build up play. May be Jovetic.

2) Defensive midifielder. I don't really rate Arteta, we need someone more dynamic.

3) Central midfielder. We're too reliant on Santi to create us chances. God forbid he gets a serious injury or is off form like he was during the middle part of the season and we'll be in trouble.

Other less important positions, a RB, backup CB and another wide player if Gervinho leaves.

Seymour Butts
20-05-2013, 03:15 PM
We all know that we wont strengthen properly this summer and this team needs about 8 quality players to mount a title challenge. But what are the absolute must gets in order for the club/manager to avoid gross negligence yet again??

Right Back replacement for Sagna - How this chump has got anywhere near the team this season is beyond me. Wenger at his non ruthless best. He should have been benched. Jenkinson is not the answer - we need a world class RB.

Striker - Pod and Giroud are decent enough but they're not great. The biggest thing that wins you the league is quality in the final third, nothing has proved that to be true more than Manure this season.

Centre back - replacement to Merts/Verm. Verm's shot. Merts has been very decent but he still scares the crap out of me. He's got the turning speed of a cruise ship and is just too damn slow. He's a top 4/5 team defender. If we want to push on we need a world class CB to play alongside the excellent Kos.

Midfield and GK also requires more quality but that's pushing it.

If we sign 3 quality players in those positions then it's progress IMO.

8 quality players to compete? I think that is wide of the mark. I think we are literally 3 very good players away from a PL winning team

server too busy!
20-05-2013, 03:21 PM
ST: Higuain/Villa
ST/AM: Jovetic
DM: Capoue/Gonalons
RB: Richards/The dude from Sochaux
GK: Begovic/Minolet

Done

LDG
20-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Another 10 Laurent Koscielny's please :pray:

:bow:

Munchies
20-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Is it just me, but whenever I've seen Higuain play live, he's always been shit ?

Seymour Butts
20-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Is it just me, but whenever I've seen Higuain play live, he's always been shit ?

103 goals in 169 appearances for RM since 2007

Marc Overmars
20-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Higuain would probably struggle for form like Podolski.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-05-2013, 04:04 PM
103 goals in 169 appearances for RM since 2007

:lol: thats shite. no thanks.

prefer bendtner. at least he got 104 in 169 appearances for us.

GP
20-05-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not convinced by Higuain either.

Not going to say he's shit, his stats don't lie, but I wouldn 't imagine it would be that hard to score for Real Madrid.

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 05:04 PM
8 quality players to compete? I think that is wide of the mark. I think we are literally 3 very good players away from a PL winning team

You're nuts

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 05:07 PM
anyway selling song and not replacing him was one of the biggest fuck ups he's ever made. its no coincidence we've been nowhere near 1st place since we sold flamini tbh, the last real DM we had, so to sell song (who papered over the cracks) and not replace him was immoral. say what you want about flamster but he was bloody effective. then we had song who was a downgrade and a pretty crap DM tbh but he still managed to become a vital cog in our team due to his responsibilities. i cant remember how many times ive said 'we need to sign a DM' but im getting sick and tired of it. arteta is no DM. he is good alongside a DM i.e. like last season. he links up play and keeps things flowing, he is not the person who should be putting his body on the line and making the crunching tackles. signing a DM would add aggression and presence in our midfield and prevent teams steam rolling us like they were doing at the start of the season.

1. We've conceded less goals and scored more without Song.
2. Song is shit.
3. None of the best teams in the world play with a DM. That's so 1998.
4. Arteta isn't good enough but he's better than Song.

Grebbo
20-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Not convinced by Higuain either. He's better than Benzema though, he's one of the most overrated players I've ever seen.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-05-2013, 06:26 PM
1. We've conceded less goals and scored more without Song.
2. Song is shit.
3. None of the best teams in the world play with a DM. That's so 1998.
4. Arteta isn't good enough but he's better than Song.

1. sometimes goals and stats cover up reality. we conceded less this season but thats due to the defence being much better than last season. at the start of last season we lost 2-0 at home to liverpool, got thumped 8-2 at old trafford in the next game and let in 4 against blackburn 2 games later. per and santos ( :haha: ) had just arrived and the defence was unsettled. song was playing in a rubber dingy team. this season we were much more settled at the back going into the season and bould was introduced to our coaching staff. it made a huge difference. we started off with 3 clean sheets. arteta was playing in a cruise ship.

so the better stats this season masked the midfield frailties. things such as our physical weakness, lack of presence etc. got much better towards the end of the season when someone told the team to actually start playing without fear and with a bit more aggression.

2. i agree. re-read my original post.

3. barca have busquets, madrid alonso, pirlo in italy, city have garcia (not saying he's good just pointing out to the fact they play with DMs). so it's not 1998. its reality. and if you dont play with a DM, at least have a bunch of fighters or players with physical presence. barca may be a bunch of midgets but i wouldnt mess with half of them. you dont get that feeling with us.

4. arteta is better than song in the position next to dm yes. in dm? no chance.

but i really cant be arsed to get in a debate about song. id rather not waste my breath on him. lets see what arsene does over the summer.

AKBapologist
20-05-2013, 06:50 PM
We need an actual left winger more than the rest tbh.

fari
20-05-2013, 08:52 PM
We need an actual left winger more than the rest tbh.

yes...although santi could in theory play there...then we would have to get in another #10 type player

Kano
20-05-2013, 08:58 PM
cazorla is no good out wide. far better in the middle. when he is out wide, he drifts in, like theo does and we lose width. we need a winger but i can see us sticking with you gerv - although ox deserves a run.

And Higuain? Great finished and predator in the box but no pace and far better in a front two than playing by himself.

Master Splinter
21-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Considering we have evolved/devolved into an efficient, grindy, passionate, honest pub team that gets the job done, two kwhality attacking players are essential.

Time for Reus and Falcao to come home.

Or Ryo and Sanogo.