PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Speaks - Encouraging/Reassuring News or ST Renewal PR Bollocks?

Özil's Panoramic View
20-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Arsenal want trophies not just top four next season, says Ivan Gazidis

• Chief executive will make funds available to Arsène Wenger
• Jovetic, Higuaín and Júlio César among manager's top targets

The Arsenal chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, has moved to reassure supporters that qualification for the Champions League does not represent the height of the club's ambitions. The victory at Newcastle United on Sunday secured a fourth-place finish and prompted scenes of giddy celebration at St James' Park.
Players posted pictures on Twitter of jubilant team-mates in the dressing room after the 1-0 win served to stave off Tottenham Hotspur's challenge and confirmed Champions League football for the 16th consecutive year under Arsène Wenger's stewardship. He has vowed to invest in the summer to maintain the momentum generated by an impressive run-in that collected 26 points from the last 10 games, as he seeks a more concerted challenge for the title next season.
That remains a daunting target given that Arsenal, who have not won a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup, finished 16 points off the top. But Gazidis, echoing the sentiments of the majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, will be seeking evidence of real progress next term. "Arsène and the team put together a remarkably strong and consistent run in the final stages of the season, a run of form of which we should all be proud," Gazidis said. "It puts us into the Champions League fight for the 16th consecutive year.
"But it is important to reiterate that, for everyone at the club, qualification for the Champions League is not our ultimate ambition. Our majority owner, Mr Kroenke, has made it clear that, while it's an achievement to make the Champions League, our ultimate objective is to win the major trophies.
"We all share that clear ambition and will be driving the club forward to achieve it. Arsène and I have already been planning what we need to do to strengthen so we are better placed next season. One thing is certain: the club is in a very strong position to move forward and our form of losing just one of our last 16 Premier League matches shows that we have a solid foundation on which to build for success."
Arsenal have been in this position before in recent seasons only for title challenges to peter out with the onset of winter, leaving the pursuit of the top four as a sole objective. Yet there are particular circumstances this time that suggest theirs is now an opportunity that must be taken. All three of the clubs who finished above them are facing managerial upheaval this summer, with Wenger hopeful the stability at the Emirates will work in his favour. Furthermore, there will be no big-name departures this summer to rock the boat in the way the untimely sales of Cesc Fábregas to Barcelona, Samir Nasri to Manchester City or Robin van Persie to Manchester United so unsettled both preparations and the squad.
Off the field, the club have secured a lucrative shirt sponsorship deal with Emirates worth £150m over the next five years, and they have also agreed a five-year contract with Puma to manufacture the kit that will amount to more than £30m every season. Those agreements come into effect at the end of the 2013-14 campaign but will effectively guarantee an increase in future revenues, further bolstering the funds available for the management.
Wenger has had money at his disposal in the market before and still struggles ideologically with the concept of spending £30m on a single addition, his instinct always to buy two or three for that amount, yet he is also entering the final year of his contract and that may force him to tweak his approach. Although Gazidis retains complete faith in the club's manager of almost 17 years, there is a recognition that the coaching team must deliver more than merely another battle to finish fourth if Wenger is to extend his stay further.
Wenger has said he will "go out in a proactive way" to strengthen the squad, with Arsenal's recruitment department having scouted extensively and interest registered in a number of targets. Principal among them is the Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuaín, currently at Real Madrid, while they will also consider Fiorentina's Montenegro forward Stevan Jovetic and have even discussed Wayne Rooney's situation at Manchester United, though forcing through a transfer for the England forward seems unlikely given the size of the fee and his wage package.
Wenger will also seek to add a centre-half to his ranks, with Swansea City's Ashley Williams a target, and a right-back with Bacary Sagna, who is out of contract in 2014, expected to leave. The Borussia Dortmund full-back Lukasz Piszczek, 27, has been heavily scouted and would cost about £14m.
Júlio César, available on a free from relegated Queens Park Rangers, could also be signed. Those additions will be balanced by the release of Andrey Arshavin and Sébastien Squillaci, whose contracts expire at the end of June, and the likes of Johan Djourou, Park Chu-young, Marouane Chamakh and Nicklas Bendtner are available for transfer.

http://m.guardiannews.com/football/2013/may/20/arsenal-trophies-ivan-gazidis?CMP=twt_gu

Kano
20-05-2013, 09:23 PM
well, you couldn't expect him to say anything different at all could you?

let's face it, fans will only mug themselves off if they buy into what our manager or ceo says.

actions and actions alone are the only thing that can change things. nothing else.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Gazidis. :bow:

Always rated him.

Munchies
20-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Same Shit Different Year

Injury Time
20-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Wow a Flamini-esk performance from our CEO just at contract season ticket renewal time...little bit less conversation little bit more action on transfers please!

Munchies
20-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow a Flamini-esk performance from our CEO just at contract season ticket renewal time...little bit less conversation little bit more action on transfers please!

:bow:

-Xs-
20-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Need to stop selling all our assets then really.

Furthermore, there will be no big-name departures this summer

Do we even have any 'big-name' players left?

Master Splinter
21-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Do we even have any 'big-name' players left?

Yes, http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/brandon-ormonde-ottewill.

Power n Glory
21-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Moving on from yesterday’s post, yet again, there seems to be very little news in the pipeline. Remi Garde has proclaimed that Arsene Wenger will stay at Arsenal…shocker, eh? Also, today’s papers are pointing out that Mourinho is talking to Chelsea and PSG. So that push for Wenger was clearly super serious.

It’s interesting thinking about this summer because it really is important on many levels. This season, despite managing to stay in the mix, fans have almost hit a point where things have become so stagnant, they are neither here nor there with the club. We’ve supported what’s gone on over the last 8 years… but now it’s all become too predictable. I don’t mean to sound spoilt, but it feels like we go into the season without anything to cheer.

I made the point the other day that all the magical technology on offer next season with regards to tickets is pointless if people can’t be bothered to go. Probably the most noticeable change of the last 5 years is sometimes, you can’t give your ticket away. Worse than that, there are clearly quite a number of fans who don’t see their ticket as valuable enough to want to give it away. That’s a sad indictment on our relationship with Arsenal.

Now, the management team can involve the fans in forums, they can bring bloggers in for chats and they can improve the user experience… but the only thing that is going to quell the storm around the club is improving the squad.

Simple fact is fans don’t want to speak negatively of the team they love, they want to be proud… and don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of things to be proud of. We’ve weathered the storm of a new stadium build, we’ve consistently stayed in the mix, we’ve seen some great players… we’re in a very strong position to kick into the European elite of finances.
… but none of it matters without a team. Well, to the fans at least.

Now, the vibe I took from the club is that the people behind the scenes are fully aware of fan desires. They’re fully aware of what people are saying about certain figures at a personal level, and they don’t like it. I get it, the dehumanisation of people you don’t know is quite common in social media. I’ve been on the receiving end of it enough times over the last five and half years… people forget when they’re calling you a cu*t that you’re just a football fan writing a blog for an hour a day. The same has to be said of the people at the club. They’re just doing a job. It just so happens that a job in football opens you up to far more abuse than a job at Pepsi.

Again… football is a passion point. If things aren’t going well, the instant reaction is always to attack. I guess the reason for telling you this is to quell this idea that the club aren’t reading and that they don’t care. You don’t get to the top of a business without caring. Being called a s*it c*nt whatever level of pay you’re on stings.
…back to the story.

The club aren’t there to hoard cash. There’s no reason to do so. 1% interest over the course of a year is worthless to Stan Kroenke… not to mention the tax implications of having too much cash in the bank account. We’ve all seen the extraordinary lengths Amazon and Google have gone to to conceal any shred of profit in this country.
So we keeping up here?

So the finances that are scrutinised by the AST and bloggers like the Swiss Ramble. Guess what? They’re bang on the money. The club aren’t hiding anything. Those figures being bandied around for player purchases… they’re there or there abouts. The club offer up as much of that to the manager as possible. There’s no reason to bank surplus cash at a football club. Every penny they bring in as profit can go on the team. Obviously there has to be certain money apportioned to developing the club as a brand globally… and occasional infrastructure updates. But in the main, that cash is not for a Stan Kroenke smash and grab. It’s too insignificant.

So the money is there…. and the club trust the manager. The club make the purchases, they don’t make the decisions. That’s why they have a £7.5m a year manager in place. Now, if there wasn’t a legacy issue, then they might have more power. But you have to be realisitic, how do you force a manager who gets you into the top 4 every season to purchase players? He’d leave. If he left and things went south for Arsenal. Who’d take the rap? The club… and it would be forceful.

So the manager makes the decisions, the decisions have been pretty poor over the last few seasons and the performances haven’t been acceptable. It’s not just us that see this.
This summer though… and I know what you’re thinking… is going to be different. Firstly, we don’t have any players leaving. Everyone is tied down to a contract, no one is unhappy… so bar the deadwood, the squad stays the same. Now, think whatever you like about us as an elite team… as a team in the league… we have a solid base to build from. The feeling I took from the meeting without drilling down into specifics… and also tugging on insight I’ve had from someone else close to the action is that this summer will see positive improvements… and if thing go really well, the movements could be super positive. The club can’t have empty blobs around the stadium. The sponsors won’t tolerate it. The club need to maximise revenue in the shops. They need to g ive all these new sponsors something their clients can be proud of.

That starts with a team.
The infrastructure has been laid. We’re a Michelin star restaurant that’s been getting away with Tesco’s own brand ingredients. This summer, we have to go out and bring in the Kobe beef. Arsenal have to make a huge impact and I really wouldn’t be surprised if we did. I’m not talking signing Benteke either… think bigger. The feelers are out as of now.
Anyway, I could be totally wrong on this. I could have misread the situation. I could have been taken down the garden path on this one. But ask yourself this… what would be the point? Bring in one of the most disruptive bloggers on Arsenal and make a fool of him. What would be the pay off?
It’ll all come down to the manager at the end of the day… but the perfect storm is brewing for him to make this a final hurrah. If he fails on us again, well, at least you know the intent of the club is to move things forward at some point.

Right… I hope you enjoyed that. See you in the comments.
P.S. Check our the Le Grove Tumblr for some pics.

http://le-grove.co.uk/2013/05/02/moving-things-forward-will-the-manager-match-the-clubs-ambitions-this-summer/#more-17422

This was in Le Grove a few weeks back and they don’t usually pull the punches when it comes to the club and manager. But I think Gazidis is aware of the negativity surrounding the club among supporters and he’s trying to fix it. It’s interesting Gazidis has also mentioned Stan and it shows that the club are aware of the criticism and that it needs addressing. It could all be PR but they’re taking a hefty risk if they disappoint again next season. I don’t mind Ivan all that much and think he’s in Wenger’s ear about how we’re perceived as a club. Even though we’ve sold players over the past couple of season, we haven’t simply promoted youth players to fill the gaps. We’ve just bought badly and that’s down to scouting and Wenger in my opinion. But I think we mean business this summer and it goes beyond the usual PR talk.

Ollie the Optimist
21-05-2013, 10:28 AM
the club know whats going on with the fans, they also know they cant hide any more. the new commercial deals are happeneing and there is a lot more money, they cant hide behind that, they themselves have held this year up as the year we can actually spend so its time for them to do so. fergie leaving too makes this a huge summer, our best chance to close the gap, and they know it

selassie
21-05-2013, 01:23 PM
well, you couldn't expect him to say anything different at all could you?

let's face it, fans will only mug themselves off if they buy into what our manager or ceo says.

actions and actions alone are the only thing that can change things. nothing else.

This

Injury Time
21-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Well mate and I have shown them the money so £1,900 should be the crock from Auxerre covered :good: