PDA

View Full Version : Is Ramsey the new Flamini

AKBapologist
21-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Before his leg break, I always saw Ramsey as an attacking player, a frank lampard style - goals from midfield type player who was clinical in the box and could be counted on to pop a decent shot in.

Then stoke happened.

And then he was reliably shit, a David Bentley style player, always trying the fancy shit without ever pulling off the basics, getting dispossessed, playing denilson-esq hospital balls and just switching off at completely the wrong times. I figured he was shot...

30 games later however. He's learnt how to do the basics again, stopped looking knackered after 30 minutes on the pitch, there are the odd hospital balls now and again, but they are the exception rather than the norm. He never did get back his preditorial instincts infront of goal, but instead, it seems, he learned something far more valuable. He learned how to tackle. He has some of the best tackling stats in the league, frequency, success rate, miles covered per game. He and Arteta, have probably just as much to do with our no loses in 10 games as our back line. I don't think I've seen this level of tenacity combined with an engine, since Flamini, and it can only get better. Aaron Ramsey won't reach his peak as a footballer for another 5 years, and if he continues this level of commitment then who knows who we'll be comparing him to next.

Thoughts?

Munchies
21-05-2013, 11:28 PM
No way, the thing with Ramsey is we all hoped he'd be a Cesc sort of player, a player who had vision and good passing ability.

He doesn't.

So right now he's basically a Park-Ji-Sung sort of player, not good at anything but not that bad either and still puts a shift in.

Good for a squad player, but shouldn't start imo.

Flamini was amazing at covering our defence.

JonasTC
22-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Right now im mostly leaning towards what Munchies are saying - His technical ability isnt good enough for our level.

But at the same time, how much he have improved during 2013 is amazing and im willing to give him another season, to see where he takes this :)

Gooner23
22-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Definitely improved as the season went on, but that's not saying much considering how average he has been since the leg break.

I like his endeavour, and he certainly works his socks off. But for me, he's not a natural holding mid. Still has a habit of over complicating and getting caught on the ball in dangerous positions. His passing is also very limited.

All that being said, I think he could develop into a very useful squad player.

BOBN
22-05-2013, 07:55 AM
I dont see this tenacity people talk about. He does everything in slow motion.

Flamini carried Fabregas, did the work of two men. Ramsey is barely carrying himself.

Marc Overmars
22-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I agree Ramzi is more of a grafter these days, he's carved out that role for himself now. Technically I think he's fairly limited but he doesn't infuriate me as much as he used to.

Still think we need to upgrade our central midfield though.

Power n Glory
22-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I think it’s all mental with Ramsey. He’s not that bad technically but it’s his decision making that really lets him down and he needs to do things a lot quicker when on the ball. He’ll develop into a better player if he plays further down the field like a DM. He just needs to get better at finding space, turning on the ball, simple ball distribution and keeping the team ticking. I was impressed with one of the games I saw where everything was just flowing for the kid. When playing deep and under pressure, he didn’t panic, he just turned his man and laid off simple passes to a free man that wasn’t under pressure. That’s what I like to see.

LDG
22-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I think it’s all mental with Ramsey. He’s not that bad technically but it’s his decision making that really lets him down and he needs to do things a lot quicker when on the ball. He’ll develop into a better player if he plays further down the field like a DM. He just needs to get better at finding space, turning on the ball, simple ball distribution and keeping the team ticking. I was impressed with one of the games I saw where everything was just flowing for the kid. When playing deep and under pressure, he didn’t panic, he just turned his man and laid off simple passes to a free man that wasn’t under pressure. That’s what I like to see.

I agree.

I think he times runs well going forward, and get's in the right positions. He's definitely got an engine, though not brilliant pace. He has an eye for a pass, but he's in a rush too much sometimes.

I know you don't particularly like Arteta (PnG), but Rambo needs to look at how he plays it simple.

Power n Glory
22-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Arteta is a good example for positioning when defending. He knows he's slow so he doesn't go bombing all over the pitch. He has discipline and that's something Ramsey will have to learn. I like his energy but I think the middle needs to be compact and the three shouldn't stay to far from each other. Keep that tight triangle shape like we used to so there is always a passing option and nobody is isolated.

My main problem with Arteta is that he can be easily marked out of a game is reluctant to receive the ball even under minor pressure. I think Ramsey has the skill to take on that pressure and lose his marker with good shielding and quick turns. Someone that's able to play on the half turn/pivot. He just needs to stay calm and not rush his pass or come off to casual and nap like we've seen him do in the past. But we should avoid playing him high up the pitch near the whole. He can't play with his back to goal. It's too quick for him and he's too slow to react to what he sees. Needs to play off instinct and get the execution spot on to play there.

Özil's Panoramic View
22-05-2013, 10:43 AM
NO!

He's not good enough for the level we want to play at. Neither is Arteta.

We definitely need to replace those two - among a few others - with quality if we're really serious about a title challenge next season.

selassie
22-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I really like Ramsey, I think he has quite a high ceiling and will continue to improve. I do agree that he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter for us now if we harbour ambitions to challenge for the title but we should def keep hold of him and use him.

He had a good season IMHO.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-05-2013, 07:29 PM
no i recall flamini being able to pass, run and look up.

milla
23-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Ramsey is OK but no Flamini. Flamini is very athletic, Ramsey is average at best. What make Ramsey looks good is he always got away with fouls. He is our mini version of Gareth Barry or Lee Cattermole, nothing more. :coffee:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-05-2013, 08:07 PM
ramsey is welsh

flamini is french

:coffee:

milla
23-05-2013, 08:14 PM
ramsey is welsh

flamini is french

:coffee:

Flamini is French born Italian. :coffee:

Nayan
23-05-2013, 08:57 PM
ramsey is more like the new Hleb utter shit for two seasons then starts to look good. THink about it - until very recently he coudlnt finish a hit dinner then you see him doing a keeper with his eyes and beating him at the near post. When did he ever have that kind of confidence in front of goal?

Cant see barca coming in for him, mind.

Globalgunner
24-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Ramsey is average, bordering on bottom grade useless. He is not a hard tackler, cant run, cant pass, gets into shooting positiona often enough but hasnt a prayer hope of working the keeper. Wenger has his blind spots we all know and Ramsy is one of them. There was a pont mid season when we couldnt win a game with him in the team and eventually he was dropped to good effect. He later came back and played well. But honestly. Can you imagine seeing Ramsey playing for another team and thibking.....I really like the look of that player, i wish he was playing for us. Coquelin is much better, but not in Wenger's eyes. He also seems a bit fragile. If Ramsy ans Arteta continue to be the mainstays of our midfield,,we are going nowhere.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Before his leg break, I always saw Ramsey as an attacking player, a frank lampard style - goals from midfield type player who was clinical in the box and could be counted on to pop a decent shot in.

Then stoke happened.

And then he was reliably shit, a David Bentley style player, always trying the fancy shit without ever pulling off the basics, getting dispossessed, playing denilson-esq hospital balls and just switching off at completely the wrong times. I figured he was shot...

30 games later however. He's learnt how to do the basics again, stopped looking knackered after 30 minutes on the pitch, there are the odd hospital balls now and again, but they are the exception rather than the norm. He never did get back his preditorial instincts infront of goal, but instead, it seems, he learned something far more valuable. He learned how to tackle. He has some of the best tackling stats in the league, frequency, success rate, miles covered per game. He and Arteta, have probably just as much to do with our no loses in 10 games as our back line. I don't think I've seen this level of tenacity combined with an engine, since Flamini, and it can only get better. Aaron Ramsey won't reach his peak as a footballer for another 5 years, and if he continues this level of commitment then who knows who we'll be comparing him to next.

Thoughts?

No, he's not the new Flamini. Flamini is a traitorous **** who had one good season and then ditched the club that made his name. Who the fuck was Flamini before Arsenal?

Ramsey is a loyal, hard working, pretty shit footballer. I'd take him over Flamini any day because I know he;d put in the shift for the club rather than his own personal advancement. I'm not saying he doesn't consider this. how would I know? But he runs for 90 minutes and seems to actually give a fuck about outcome - rare in the modern player (the modern player being an epic **** who should die painfully, I fucking HATE the modern player).

Who do we have?

Jack. Kos. Jenks. Arteta. Ramsey. Maybe Ches but he could be pulling our leg. I even think TV but he's just too shite (mea culpa for thinking he wasn't, I hold my hands up, those who feel the need can now gloat).

Ramsey is better than that bastard Walcott.

I see what you are saying with the comparison to Flamini, but Flamini was a lot more dynamic and powerful. Ramsey is pretty shite by comparison, but i like him because he has the right attitude. He could carry water for us if he had better players around him.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh dear

Woefully wrong about Flamini and Walcott in one post.

Impressive.

Power n Glory
24-05-2013, 03:54 PM

:doh:

I think it's personal.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 03:57 PM

I think it's personal.

Tbf both have signed new contracts, one scores goals and assists and has been our best player this season. The other runs around doing flicks that end up losing possession.

We can put it down to another NQ shocker

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 03:58 PM

I think it's personal.

I want players who are committed to the club. I'd rather have that than trophies. What's bad about that? The commitment is an essential ingredient for excellence. Even when the constituent parts are weak a team can still be strong. But not if it is populated with bastards.

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Oh dear

Woefully wrong about Flamini and Walcott in one post.

Impressive.

I just don't like your girlfriend's attitude.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 04:02 PM
I want players who are committed to the club. I'd rather have that than trophies. What's bad about that? The commitment is an essential ingredient for excellence. Even when the constituent parts are weak a team can still be strong. But not if it is populated with bastards.

And theo signing a contract is a sign of lack of commitment? :blink:

You are one strange confused dude

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 05:11 PM
And theo signing a contract is a sign of lack of commitment? :blink:

You are one strange confused dude

Holding the club to ransom when we were in a critical situation having already lost key players? If Theo's too thick to figure that out (which I doubt) his **** agent won't have been. Jack signed quietly in the background. Big, big difference.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 05:15 PM
The main difference being Jack knows no big club will be after him as he's injury prone atm so he's taking as much money from us as he can whereas Theo has actually produced on the pitch and deserves what he gets

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 05:22 PM
The main difference being Jack knows no big club will be after him as he's injury prone atm so he's taking as much money from us as he can whereas Theo has actually produced on the pitch and deserves what he gets

And the difference in reality being Theo whored himself out but there were no takers.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Oh dear

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Oh dear

That's what I thought at the time. Anyway, doesn't matter. He'll be gone first chance next summer provided he can show he's worth the cash we'll ask. Otherwise we're both lumbered with each other for a while longer yet. If he can continue his 1 in 10 strike rate and turn up for his usual 1 in 3 games he can play a role until we find something better.

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Enough of this humiliating yourself over theo.

Back to the topic in hand

Flamini had 2 great seasons and was a decent squad member for the other years.

Ramsey is poor in comparison.

Flamini stayed loyal to us and saw out his contract. Ramsey will walk the first chance he gets

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2013, 05:42 PM
You have quite a soft spot for players who hold the club to ransom.

Globalgunner
24-05-2013, 06:06 PM
In truth Cripps is either related to Theo. Or......maybe he IS Theo. Big blind spot there.

Kano
24-05-2013, 06:42 PM
it's sad that two of the biggest players at our club are the point of contention instead of all the useless wastes of space that reverse our club, like gerv and co.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
24-05-2013, 11:09 PM
No, he's not the new Flamini. Flamini is a traitorous **** who had one good season and then ditched the club that made his name. Who the fuck was Flamini before Arsenal?

Ramsey is a loyal, hard working, pretty shit footballer. I'd take him over Flamini any day because I know he;d put in the shift for the club rather than his own personal advancement. I'm not saying he doesn't consider this. how would I know? But he runs for 90 minutes and seems to actually give a fuck about outcome - rare in the modern player (the modern player being an epic **** who should die painfully, I fucking HATE the modern player).

Who do we have?

Jack. Kos. Jenks. Arteta. Ramsey. Maybe Ches but he could be pulling our leg. I even think TV but he's just too shite (mea culpa for thinking he wasn't, I hold my hands up, those who feel the need can now gloat).

I see what you are saying with the comparison to Flamini, but Flamini was a lot more dynamic and powerful. Ramsey is pretty shite by comparison, but i like him because he has the right attitude. He could carry water for us if he had better players around him.

:haha:

Cripps_orig
24-05-2013, 11:38 PM
it's sad that two of the biggest players at our club are the point of contention instead of all the useless wastes of space that reverse our club, like gerv and co.

It is indeed.

IBK
03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
No way, the thing with Ramsey is we all hoped he'd be a Cesc sort of player, a player who had vision and good passing ability.

He doesn't.

So right now he's basically a Park-Ji-Sung sort of player, not good at anything but not that bad either and still puts a shift in.

Good for a squad player, but shouldn't start imo.

Flamini was amazing at covering our defence.

IMO part of our defensively solid run in was down to Ramsey playing well.