PDA

View Full Version : Former Players Views

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Cripps_orig
14-11-2011, 12:27 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3933117/Robin-van-Persie-contract-news-Cesc-Fabregas-was-Arsenal-star.html

Suns version :lol:

Letters
14-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Ah, shuddup Cesc.

Flavs
14-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Ah, shuddup Cesc.

and get a bloody hair cut!

Japan Shaking All Over
14-11-2011, 02:59 PM
What is it with Barca players. . .that makes them feel a need to give their opinion about things that dont fucking concern them

Cesc, you got your wish, now do one!

Olivier's xmas twist
14-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Cesc what an utter Cunt, always was one tbh.

Kano
14-11-2011, 04:44 PM
nothing wrong with what cesc said.

just the usual mongoloids who can't read, not understanding plain english

Cripps_orig
14-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Its more the why he has to comment on stuff that has f all to do with him more than what he said tbh.

When he decided to leave us in the lurch and turn his back on us like the rat he is, he broke all ties with us so he can STFU and GTFO and concentrate on staying on the Barca bench

Kano
14-11-2011, 04:50 PM
people ask a question, he answers. thats how press conferences work

your bitterness toward him won't change that.

his comments mean nothing in the grand scheme and if anything, he states more about rvp remaining with arsenal than leaving

a nothing article in a non news football week

Cripps_orig
14-11-2011, 04:52 PM
So basically saying he should go now or he'll be stuck here forever isnt his way of saying RVP should get out asap?

Kano
14-11-2011, 04:58 PM
depends if you let the tabloids suck you up or not

"I don't know if they will keep him," Fábregas said. "It is his decision. At his age, if he wants to move, it will be his last chance and if he wants to stay he will stay and retire at Arsenal. We will see what he decides but he's been very loyal to Arsenal for a few years. He is a key player, the fans love him. For me, he is the role model of Arsenal, the star player and they cannot afford to lose him.

"He is having an amazing season and hopefully he will be fit for the whole season. Unfortunately, when I was there, he never enjoyed a whole season and it was one of the things I regret a little bit. I hope he can keep going like that. Could he come to Barcelona? He would fit in anywhere but I'm an Arsenal fan and I want him to stay at Arsenal."

Cripps_orig
14-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Couple of BS lines there

he's been very loyal to Arsenal for a few years

Well no, its been the other way around. Whilst he was picking up thousands a week whilst on the treatment table, we kept faith in him

but I'm an Arsenal fan

No hes a Barca fan

So you have to ask, what else does he say that is BS in that article?

Syn
14-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Cesc doesn’t say anything incorrect but a classier guy (e.g. someone like myself) would’ve stifled any ‘What do you think Van Persie should do about signing a new contract?’ question with a ‘It’s got nothing to do with me. I respect Van Persie and Arsenal and it’s their decision’. The END. None of this weighing up the options ‘it’ll be his last chance to move’ shit.

Marc Overmars
14-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Digusting how fibreglass is treated on here.

fakeyank
14-11-2011, 06:41 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/11/14/2756040/barcelona-midfielder-cesc-fabregas-arsenal-cannot-afford-to-lose-

Feels a shame to have this cunt in this thread of legends speaking but he is a former player plus he doesnt deserve a thread of his own cos hes a cunt, something he confirms in the article above

Nothing wrong about what he said

Letters
14-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Nothing wrong about what he said

So the opposite of your face then?

GP
14-11-2011, 09:22 PM
So the opposite of your face then?

:haha:

It's funny cos it's brown

Master Splinter
14-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Disgusting how non-whites are treated on here.

fakeyank
14-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Disgusting how non-whites are treated on here.

:gp:

Double standards ;)

Cripps_orig
14-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Nothing wrong about what he said Still a cunt though tbh

Japan Shaking All Over
15-11-2011, 11:04 AM
He may not be wrong or he may well be!

I think for someone who remained in the centre of his own 'will he or wont he' media circus and tug of war between clubs saga that involved everyone from the Barca president to their tea lady, and having seen the turmoil it created within the club that basically gave him the chance to make a name for himself, we are not being too unreasonable to ask him to refrain from makong the kind of cooments that the media jump onto like a rash.
And I dont consider myself to be a mongloid for having such expectations.

Cripps_orig
15-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Nigel Winterburn has told talkSPORT Theo Walcott needs to improve his consistency – but warns that whatever he does will never be enough to satisfy some people.

The Arsenal wide man, who is now 22, still has question marks against his name despite playing more than 125 times for the Gunners.

Walcott also has 20 England caps to his credit, but is seemingly still some way short of being a guaranteed starter in Fabio Capello’s first XI.

And Winterburn admits the former Southampton starlet still has plenty to prove.

The former Arsenal full-back told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “Walcott is now a senior player. He’s been in and out of the squad for a long time now, but he’s too inconsistent.

“There’s still a lot of pressure on him because of the amount of money he cost as a youngster and he still needs to mix his game up a lot more.

“He needs to get a high level of consistency with his performances, but some people have already judged him and what he does will not be enough.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1283/44/exclusive-winterburn-walcott-too-inconsistent

Spot on

Niall_Quinn
15-11-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1283/44/exclusive-winterburn-walcott-too-inconsistent

Spot on

I don't care what Walcott does - it will never be enough :patrice:

Cripps_orig
29-11-2011, 12:06 PM
For Armand Traore, it would begin days, often a week, before the match. The anxiety. The nerves. The sick feeling in the pit of the stomach. By kick-off, he would be drained and exhausted.

The stress was a manifestation of being a young fringe player at Arsenal, aware that opportunities came along only fleetingly.

“You can feel it there,” he said, pointing to his stomach. “It is not good and you cannot perform as well as anyone who is training all week and playing every week. It is different. Whenever I played, I was under a lot of pressure. You have to perform or that’s it.

“Every time you go to control a ball, you automatically think, ‘I cannot miss my touch’. Then, after that, you think, ‘I cannot miss my pass’. You worry about so many things. It’s just not good for your head and you are not entirely focused.”

Honest and open, Traore offers it as a heartfelt explanation, not an excuse, for his failure to make the breakthrough during six years at Arsenal, especially timely on the day his former club prepare for a League Cup quarter-final with a team likely to be dominated by young guns. He was not so troubled during his season-long loans at Juventus and Portsmouth, or current employers QPR, where he is enjoying regular first-team football.

“It actually feels really good,” expanded Traore in his first extended interview since his move on the penultimate day of the window. “I was explaining to a few of my relatives that I almost feel that I’m needed sometimes, where at times at Arsenal it was almost like, ‘well, if [Gael] Clichy is injured, if [Kieran] Gibbs is injured then maybe you can play’. So you never really know when you are going to play.

“It wasn’t the best conditions to focus and play every week. When you are more relaxed, you can do more things. This was my big problem. I didn’t play much, that’s for sure. I had some not-so-good games as well.”

Traore does not blame Arsenal, or Arsene Wenger and his coaching staff. He has “no regrets, never” about six years of education at one of football’s finest finishing schools and retains great affection for the club that he joined as a 16-year-old.

The expectation came from within. “It was from me because I have got ambition and my ambition was to be at some point the first choice,” Traore explained. “I put a lot of pressure on myself and it didn’t happen.

“One time I spoke with Wenger and he said he knows what it's like. Even before the game started he said, ‘Your energy is almost gone because of the pressure. You think about the game too much, for the whole week’.

New lease of life | Traore has established himself at QPR following his summer move

“I know at the time I had trouble with coping with the pressure. Especially when you are young and you have all these people looking at you and judging you the next day. I learned to cope with it at my time with Juventus.

“Now, it’s a different story. I can’t wait to play. I set myself goals for games like getting assists and making sure when I play left-back that the goals don’t come from my side.

“It’s completely different. I feel like I am more useful. I feel I can help the team more. Before I was a bit like, ‘Hmm, I don’t really want to play’. At some point I just wanted to go and play football."

The nadir of Traore’s Arsenal career came at Old Trafford on August 28 in his 13th and final league game for the club. An injury crisis meant a late call up, the postponement of his transfer to QPR and then an 8-2 buffeting.

Traore reveals: “For me personally, I was supposed to leave before that game. It was all arranged. The game was on the Sunday and on the Thursday my agent calls me and says, ‘We are going to sign for QPR in the afternoon’. In my head I was gone already and didn’t want to be there anymore.

“I wasn’t fit. Pre-season is the most important part of the season and I missed part of it at Arsenal, which maybe stuffed me. I came back from injury for the game against Udinese. So, personally, for me, it was a crazy score. You can talk about the Arsenal defence back then but have a look at the goals. At least maybe three or four, maybe five, are unbelievable goals.”

QPR made sense for Traore, what with a charismatic manager, an ambitious new owner, a London postcode and the prospect of a regular starting place.

Speaking at Rangers’ training ground at Harlington while planes fly overhead en route to nearby Heathrow, he explained: “There was interest from other clubs but I liked what Neil Warnock said. It is definitely going places. The chairman [Tony Fernandes] is not kidding about this club. A couple of times he came to talk to us and it sounded good.

“The fact it was in London as well, so I didn’t have to move my family. I have just had a little boy. I learned from Juventus when I had to bloody move all the way to Italy. I thought, ‘I’m going to give it a go’. That was one of the reasons and I thought I would get a good shot at playing.”

Traore’s goals are simple: “to try and play well every week” and for QPR “to stay in the Premier League”.

He also has shared motivation with fellow window signings Shaun Wright-Phillips, Anton Ferdinand and even Joey Barton. “A lot of us are united by the fact we have a lot of people to prove wrong,” he said. “100 per cent we have something to prove.”

For Traore, professional disappointment has been exacerbated by personal heartbreak over the last two years

“My life has changed a lot,” he explained. “People don’t know this on the outside. I lost my Dad to cancer. I used to be on the phone to him almost every day. I have seen my Dad when he couldn’t even walk or get out of bed. I had to pick him up myself in the middle of the night. When you see things like this and think about them again, it can be very heartbreaking.

“He passed away and I had to cope with trying to get back into the Juventus side at the same time as the front page of the papers saying, ‘Traore hasn’t even started playing. He is still injured’. My wife was pregnant. Injuries, injuries, injuries. That was a crazy season. It was a painful time.”

Traore was helped by his Muslim faith, which he has embraced with added vigour in recent times after a spell when he admits he did not practice it properly.

“Without my faith it would have not been the same. I would probably still be thinking of my Dad now and all sad. He was suffering and now he is okay, you know. My faith helped. When you have faith in God, it is okay.”

Despite playing for France at Under-21 level, Traore opted in June to represent the land of his fathers and by pledging allegiance to Senegal. It is a decision that would have pleased his father, a former Senegal international himself.

“This is one of the main reasons why. My mother keeps telling me, ‘If he saw you now he would be proud’. All the time we were talking about France or Senegal he was, like, ‘Wait a bit, until you are 21 or 22’. But I knew that he wanted me to play for Senegal because back in Senegal are all my family and there is a lot of pride in me playing for Senegal.

“The fact also is that when I saw what Senegal was trying to do, rebuild the team with so much quality, the names they were trying to bring in, I thought, ‘I want to be part of this; there is something we can do there’. Everyone is my age, quite young and could be there for the next 10 years.”

One regret Traore does have is decorating his body with three tattoos, one on each arm and wings on his back.

“I don’t know what I was thinking,” he admitted. “I was 16.” Traore has spoken in the past of removing them but is now concerned about the pain.

“I have heard the laser is more painful than the actual tattoo,” he grimaces. “I am still thinking of doing it but at the end of the day I hope that I have been forgiven for what I have done. I might as well not try and go through the pain. The ones on my arms, the small ones, definitely, but the one on my back, the big one, is going to be difficult.”

Talking of art, Traore returns to the subject of Arsenal and Arsene, who he was too bashful to approach as a teenager but gradually got to know over time. “Outside of football, I had some good chats with him. He is a good man.”

Before he leaves the training ground to go home to his wife and 12-month-old son, who Traore laughs is “wrecking the house at the moment”, the defender talks with optimism about the future.

He said: “My aim was to establish myself as the left-back at Arsenal. It didn’t happen. It was meant to be like this. I’m not going to cry over it. I have moved on and want to get on with my career. That’s what everyone should do.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/11/29/2778452/qpr-defender-armand-traore-reveals-his-arsenal-nightmare-i

Good read

Kano
29-11-2011, 05:01 PM
For Armand Traore, it would begin days, often a week, before the match. The anxiety. The nerves. The sick feeling in the pit of the stomach. By kick-off, he would be drained and exhausted.

exactly how I'd feel when I heard he was on the team sheet.

Cripps_orig
06-12-2011, 12:03 AM
George Graham insists a top four finish for Arsenal this season would be classed as Arsene Wenger’s greatest achievement.

The Gunners have turned their season around recently following a poor start in the Premier League, winning five out of their last six games to leave them fifth in the standings.

But former Highbury boss Graham fears the push into the Champions League places might just be beyond his former side.

“They’re in the position I thought they would be,” Graham told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.

“At the beginning of the season, when they brought new players in, I thought they would be struggling to finish in the top four.

“The way they’re playing at the moment they could do but I still think that if Arsene gets them into the top four it will be his best achievement.”

“At the beginning of the season, when they brought new players in, I thought they would be struggling to finish in the top four”George Graham

Robin Van Persie has been in fine form and currently leads the Premier League goalscoring charts, but many are worried about the contribution from the other strikers at the Emirates.

Wenger claimed after the 4-0 win against Wigan that he’s not interested in strengthening his squad, saying: “At the moment, I will do nothing in January. I have a big squad.”

But Graham believes the Frenchman is light up front and needs another forward to cover Gervinho and Marouane Chamakh when they leave for the African Cup of Nations.

“I’m surprised Arsene doesn’t want to strengthen,” headded. “It’s obvious he needs another centre-forward.

“He needs some more power, they definitely need another striker without doubt. The African Nations Cup is going to be a difficult period for a few teams, Arsenal included.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1348/05/exclusive-graham-top-four-finish-would-be-wengers-greatest-achievement

Best achievement? Really?

IBK
06-12-2011, 09:32 AM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1348/05/exclusive-graham-top-four-finish-would-be-wengers-greatest-achievement

Best achievement? Really?

I get where he is coming from. I ask myself where our competitors would be if they had lost their 2 best players and had to re-build their back 4 from scratch - completely changing the way they play in the process. For me - the fact that the manager has proved himself adaptable is the most enjoyable part of this season so far. There is a joie de vivre back in our side - and with the competition as fierce as it is I think its pretty remarkable to have bounced back to 5th place already after such an horrendous start to the season. I'm confident we'll finish top 4.

Mind you - greatest achievement? Bit of poetic licence from Graham when AW has gone a whole season unbeaten...

Cripps_orig
06-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I get where he is coming from. I ask myself where our competitors would be if they had lost their 2 best players and had to re-build their back 4 from scratch - completely changing the way they play in the process. For me - the fact that the manager has proved himself adaptable is the most enjoyable part of this season so far. There is a joie de vivre back in our side - and with the competition as fierce as it is I think its pretty remarkable to have bounced back to 5th place already after such an horrendous start to the season. I'm confident we'll finish top 4.

Mind you - greatest achievement? Bit of poetic licence from Graham when AW has gone a whole season unbeaten...

Joie de vivre?

IBK
06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joie_de_vivre

Cripps_orig
06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Ah ok.

I do agree with that to an extent but its the same old problem. How will we react to a defeat? Its been a problem of Wenger sides for ages, not just the last 6 years.

I hope we never lose so we never find out

IBK
06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Ah ok.

I do agree with that to an extent but its the same old problem. How will we react to a defeat? Its been a problem of Wenger sides for ages, not just the last 6 years.

I hope we never lose so we never find out

We did OK on Saturday ;)

Cripps_orig
08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has expressed his sadness at leaving Arsenal without having won a Premier League title, and feels the chopping and changing at the Emirates was the reason why they failed to keep up with their rivals.

Fabregas's only trophy with the Gunners came back in 2005, when they beat Manchester United to win the FA Cup, but the Spanish midfielder conceded that the Red Devils, along with Chelsea, raced ahead of Arsene Wenger's team after that defeat due to having a spine of players that remained largely unchanged.

"I’ll always have that thorn in my side, that sadness," Fabregas told FourFourTwo. "I wish I had gone having won something, at least to leave with a title.
"We never had a team like Manchester United or Chelsea, who have always had a base of seven or eight players together for years.

"We were always changing; one would come in, another would go, another wants to leave… in the end, it makes a difference."

The 24-year old insisted he did not regret leaving the Emirates Stadium, however, and that the time was right for a move back to the club with which he began his career.

"I thought it was the right moment," he said. "I'd given everything for Arsenal.

"I played with a broken leg, I played when my grandfather died. I gave everything but you reach a moment when you say: 'I can't give any more'."

Fabregas also dismissed suggestions that he took the easy way out by leaving Arsenal for a star-studded Barcelona team in search of trophies.

"I think I took the hardest option," he says. "I will have to work twice as hard to win a place as I did in London.

"I’m not guaranteed a starting position. I'm competing with the best central midfielders in the world, some of the best in history."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/08/2793227/we-never-had-a-team-like-manchester-united-or-chelsea-barcelonas-

STFU

Cunt

Olivier's xmas twist
08-12-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/08/2793227/we-never-had-a-team-like-manchester-united-or-chelsea-barcelonas-

STFU

Cunt

Best post you've ever done tbh.

Cesc needs to STFU and worry about Barca, because thats what he did while he was with us.

IBK
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Not interested in what this Barca supporter and player has to say about our club.

Syn
08-12-2011, 04:05 PM
I think his comments are quite honest. Season before last (09/10) he was playing on when clearly injured and in pain - not only against Barcelona as people will point to, but also against Birmingham. Last season, I don't think he gave everything because he was very bad in too many of the games he played in.

And he's spot on here:

"We were always changing; one would come in, another would go, another wants to leave… in the end, it makes a difference."

And that's because we keep signing players like you.

Fuck Gotze, Hazard and whatever £30m names that are being mentioned.

Come on Wilshere, Walcott, Chamberlain, Ramsey and Szczesny.

Olivier's xmas twist
08-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Not interested in what this Barca supporter and player has to say about our club.

Thats what not playing every game and being 1st choice does to you, you have a lot of time to think tbh

Xhaka Can’t
08-12-2011, 05:29 PM
His statement would blow up the most sturdy of irony meters.

Cripps_orig
08-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Samir Nasri has hit back at critics of his mega-money move to Man City by blasting Arsenal for failing to provide the Europa League football he craved.

Nasri - who was criticised by Arsenal fans and labelled a mercenary when he left for Man City in the summer - feels vindicated following the 2-0 victory over Bayern Munich that helped Man City finish ten points above Villarreal to qualify for the Europa League's last 32.

"I can't wait to hear the Europa League anthem as we line up on the pitch on a Thursday night," said the winger. "The hairs will be standing up on the back of my neck as I hear that tune. How does it go again?"

Nasri was part of an Arsenal side that visited Barcelona in the Champions League last season, but admits it was difficult watching new club City visit the likes of FC Politehnica Timisoara.

"If I ever wanted to play Europa League football I had to leave Arsenal," claimed Nasri. "It's been over a decade since Arsene Wenger last guided his team into Europe's second-tier competition and Arsenal again failed to land a Europa League spot last year. To make matters worse, we had to watch Spurs grab the last place. Even Fulham got in via the flippin' fair play league - at that point I knew it was time to say au revoir.

"There were moments this season when I wondered if I had done the right thing moving to City, when it looked as if we were in danger of qualifying for the next round of the Champions League and Arsenal were on course for the Europa, but now I can look forward to possibly playing Stoke."

Nasri is chomping at the bit to face the Europa League's finest. "There are no easy names in the Europa League," he said. "Whether it's FC Metalist Kharkiv, FC Vaslui or Vorskla Poltava, I can't pronounce any of them. At least I might get a game, though."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-12-08/talksport-spoof-nasri-i-had-leave-arsenal-play-europa-league

Marc Overmars
08-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Master Splinter
08-12-2011, 06:39 PM

IBK
08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I think his comments are quite honest. Season before last (09/10) he was playing on when clearly injured and in pain - not only against Barcelona as people will point to, but also against Birmingham. Last season, I don't think he gave everything because he was very bad in too many of the games he played in.

And he's spot on here:

And that's because we keep signing players like you. Fuck Gotze, Hazard and whatever £30m names that are being mentioned.

Come on Wilshere, Walcott, Chamberlain, Ramsey and Szczesny.

Nutshell.

Cripps_orig
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Tony Adams says that Arsenal are the only English club that he would consider joining after leaving his role with Azerbaijani side Gabala FC.

The former England international is looking for a return to coaching after departing the Azerbaijan Premier League side in November and is targeting a return to Europe.

“Coaching is what I love. But back in England? There is only one club I would want to go back to and be No.1 or even on the backroom staff – and that is Arsenal,” he told Mirror Football.

“If Arsene Wenger wanted me to join in some capacity, that would interest me a lot.

“I enjoyed my time as coach at Portsmouth when we won the FA Cup. Now what appeals is working in Scandinavia or Belgium or Holland. Or even at somewhere like Dinamo Zagreb. An established club not doing so well. That would appeal.”

The 45-year-old recently had a statue of himself unveiled by Arsenal outside of the Emirates as part of the club’s 125-year celebrations and was understandably delighted.

He added: “I cannot tell you how good that makes me feel. I feel very humble, very proud to have something like that in my honour.”

The Englishman spent his entire playing career at Arsenal and had been managing Gabala FC in Azerbaijan for the past 18 months until his resignation.

He continued: “It was all getting too much. I was doing the whole lot from arranging to have the training pitches marked out to sorting out the showers.

“The coaching that I love doing, well that was just one of a number of things. Then there was the three-hour drive to Gabala from Baku every day. My family love Baku but the drive was just taking too much out of me. I had to hand over the coaching responsibilities.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/11/2798197/former-arsenal-defender-tony-adams-targets-a-return-to

Defensive coach?

Ernesto
15-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Ian Wright telling SSN that we're a couple of shrewd signings away (one of them being an out-and-out striker in January) from actually winning the league this season!

Nice to show some optimism. Have some of that, Merse!

Cripps_orig
16-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Former Arsenal (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/england/94/arsenal) defender David O’Leary is confident his old club will prosper in the Champions League (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/#) but does not believe the Gunners have what it takes to reach the pinnacle of European football because they are “not in Barcelona (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/spain/125/barcelona) or Real Madrid (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/spain/124/real-madrid)’s class”.

O’Leary, who guided Leeds United to the semi-finals of Europe’s elite club competition (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/#) 10 seasons ago, is convinced that both the Spanish giants will prove too strong for Arsene Wenger’s team.

“Manchester City and Manchester United going out of the competition can only boost Arsenal’s chances because they are two really big clubs,” O’Leary told Goal.com ahead of the draw for the last 16 of the Champions (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/#) League.

“I sincerely hope that Arsenal will go as far as they can in the Champions League but they are not in Barcelona or Real Madrid’s class at the moment.

“And I hope that I am proved wrong by Arsenal but Barcelona are a class act, arguably the best ever club team. They look like they are a cut above the rest and Real Madrid aren’t too far behind them. I would have thought they would both have too much for Arsenal.

“But Arsenal have already shown in the group phase that they are a team that will not to be taken lightly by anyone and they will be strengthened when Jack Wilshere is back in action so with a bit of luck they could go a long way.

“They will command plenty of respect. But win (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/#) it? I don't think so. Not with Barcelona and Real Madrid around."http://u.goal.com/92300/92312hp2.jpg

Nemesis l Arsenal have struggled to get the better of Barcelona in the Champions League

Even if Arsenal - who have been eliminated by Barcelona in the last two seasons and lost the final (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/#) against the Catalans in 2006 - do not win the competition this season, O’Leary, who made a club-record 722 appearances for the Gunners, is confident the north London side will be back in the Champions League next term by virtue of a top-four finish in the Premier League.

“I do hope that Arsenal can go on and win the FA Cup and get into that top four in the league but I don’t see them winning the league at the moment,” the former Aston Villa manager added.

“Top four is definitely achievable. I still think they need a couple more players. They still need another centre-forward to go with Robin van Persie in particular but without a doubt they are in the mix for that. They have gone from strength to strength since they had a shaky start to the season so that has got to be their aim this season.”

The former Republic of Ireland international, who helped Arsenal win the league title in 1989 and 1991, believes that while the Emirates Stadium club might not have won a major honour since their FA Cup success in 2005 they still win more and more admirers worldwide due to their style of play and the way the club is run.

“Arsene Wenger could have gone to other places over the years but those other places would have not have given Arsene what he has had over the last 15 years which is total control of the running of the football club and there aren’t many clubs that operate in that way,” O’Leary continued.

“Sir Alex Ferguson has got it at Manchester United because the people at Old Trafford trust him and the same applies to Arsene and Arsenal. When I was there you could feel the tension and the pressure when you went a couple of years without winning anything. Arsene appreciates what good people he is working for.

“They are good, solid decent people. They lost a hugely important figure there last year in Danny Fiszman who was an unbelievable ambassador as well as director for Arsenal Football Club but there are plenty more great people there like Danny.

“That is what has put the club where it is at the moment in that they might not have won anything for a while but they still command huge respect and support for they way they go about their business both on and off the field. They have sound people making sound decisions.”

The 53-year-old O’Leary was honoured for his exploits in an Arsenal shirt between 1975 and 1993 when the club’s 125th anniversary was celebrated last weekend.

“It makes me feel I am one of them,” O’Leary said. “I spent 20 years at Arsenal and I never thought I would last so long at such a great club. I am very privileged that they felt I contributed enough to honour me.

“But then again what Arsenal do is just class. Everything they do is done in a very classy way. The way they look after players and the way they treat people when they are at the club is just first class.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2011/12/16/2804527/arsenal-wont-win-the-champions-league-because-they-are-not

Cripps_orig
19-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Cesc Fabregas could give Arsenal fans the perfect Christmas present by returning to the Emirates.

But before Gunners fans get over-excited, the Barcelona man isn't re-signing for his former club, he's just planning to watch them take on Wolves on Boxing Day.

Barca have a winter break over Christmas and Fabregas, who insists he is still an Arsenal fan, may take the opportunity to visit old friends in north London.

"Arsenal gave me everything", said Fabregas. "And I will never forget that. I am looking forward to going to watch them on December 26 and catching up with everybody there.

"It's a special club that has always been amazing for me. I have only good things to say about them."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1390/91/fabregas-plotting-arsenal-return

Last thing we need is this cunt at the ground. Hope hes booed

Letters
19-12-2011, 04:38 PM
"perfect Christmas present"

:doh:

Give me strength.

Kano
19-12-2011, 04:57 PM
he should be welcomed back of course but i'm sure there are plenty of bitter numpties ready to open their gobs about it

GP
19-12-2011, 05:01 PM
"perfect Christmas present"

Give me strength.

I'd prefer a mountain bike.

Cripps_orig
19-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Going to the Wolves game. Thinking of making a Poster Boy of Failure sign with the cunts picture on it.

Letters
19-12-2011, 05:09 PM
he should be welcomed back of course but i'm sure there are plenty of bitter numpties ready to open their gobs about it

I don't particularly have a problem with him, certainly wouldn't boo him. but "perfect Christmas present"?

Give me strength.

Olivier's xmas twist
19-12-2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/spo
rts-news/football/premier-league/1390/91/fabregas-plotting-arsenal-return

Last thing we need is this cunt at the ground. Hope hes booed

Hope hhe does some training with Diaby tbh

Xhaka Can’t
19-12-2011, 05:44 PM

I wouldn't boo him, but frankly I'd prefer it if he stayed away.

Also, I'd like a road bike.

LDG
20-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Thethk can thuck oth!

Marc Overmars
20-12-2011, 09:36 AM
There's a SSN special with Cesc on Christmas Day. Looking forward to it.

Kano
20-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't particularly have a problem with him, certainly wouldn't boo him. but "perfect Christmas present"?

Give me strength.

yeah but that's talksport on the wind up and it seems to be working.

Cripps_orig
20-12-2011, 12:32 PM
THE time has come for Arsene Wenger to shackle El Matador — and unshackle the Ox while he's at it.

It was great to see Arsenal go toe to toe with Manchester City on Sunday, and but for a couple of Joe Hart saves, they could well have nicked something too.

But as close as they pushed the leaders, it did raise a couple of points that need addressing quickly to close that gap.

First — and we have known this for ages — without a top-class attacker alongside Robin van Persie, Arsenal are only one injury away from everything blowing up in their faces.

That's why I think Arsene MUST bid for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani — El Matador — if there is any chance of tempting him from Italy next month.

It will be more difficult now Napoli have reached the Champions League knockout stages, largely thanks to his performances in the group games.

But plenty of other clubs around Europe haven't given up the ghost, and I'd love to see Arsene in the mix as well.

If, heaven forbid, anything did happen to RVP, you'd fear Arsenal would be stuffed. That's a ridiculous pressure to carry on your shoulders every week.

But when you look at the rest of the squad, where do you think the goals will come from?

Andrey Arshavin seems to be somewhere else at the moment.

This is the guy who got four at Liverpool, hit the winner against Barcelona, but just isn't doing the business.

When Marouane Chamakh comes off the bench you never really expect him to make the sort of impact you'd want.

And although Gervinho looks good dribbling and running at people, again there haven't been many goals to go with it.

That's not something you could say about Cavani, and it's no surprise that he has become one of the most wanted men in Europe.

He's the type defenders hate playing against, always on the move, always looking for the right run, always a threat.

More than anything, he always looks hungry — the sort of guy who could be having a shocker, but is still likely to nick you a goal out of nothing. That's something Arsenal need right now.

When all those fans headed north on Sunday, they travelled more in hope than expectation.

Yes, there was always the prospect of nicking something on the break, and when it comes to playing football, Arsenal still do it better than most.

But the benches emphasised the difference between the clubs.

City had the likes of Edin Dzeko, Nigel de Jong, Adam Johnson and James Milner — all proven internationals. Arsenal didn't have anyone in that bracket.

How I'd have loved to have seen young Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain among those subs. The time has come for him to be seeing a bit more of the action.

When he got a chance against City in the Carling Cup, he gave Pablo Zabaleta a hard time. It would have been great to see him running at Zabaleta for 20 minutes or so on Sunday.

I'm not suggesting that, at 18, he should be in there every minute of every game.

Youngsters must be brought on gradually. You have to get the balance right, and playing all the time isn't the answer at that age.

But the Ox has a great physique and it baffles me that he hasn't had more of a go.

If he's going to fulfil his obvious potential, the next step comes with playing against the likes of City, in high-pressure, high-intensity games with a great atmosphere.

I can see him being an integral part of things at Arsenal for years to come, but he's not going to do that if he's held back. So I'd say to Arsene: Release the Ox.

He's been grazing in the paddock for too long, let's see him feeding on Premier League defenders instead.

How good would it be to see him causing havoc on one wing, Theo Walcott on the other, with RVP and Cavani waiting to pounce in the middle?

Just now, opposing defences realise if they keep Van Persie quiet, they are pretty much guaranteed to silence the Gunners.

With another top-notch finisher alongside him, and two lightning-fast wide men providing the ammunition, back fours wouldn't know what hit them.

After the start Arsenal had, it's a great achievement to be back in the mix for a top-four place.

But until they fill a couple more gaps, that's probably the best they can hope for.

And for Arsenal fans like me who want to see them pushing for silverware, those hopes are much higher.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4008893/Ian-Wright-Arsene-Wenger-must-sign-Edinson-Cavani.html

Wrighty :bow:

How much would Cavani cost?

Coney
20-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I think it is more a case of what would not having him (or a similar player) cost us if we don't spend some money?

fakeyank
20-12-2011, 03:31 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4008893/Ian-Wright-Arsene-Wenger-must-sign-Edinson-Cavani.html

How much would Cavani cost?

Doesnt matter how much he'll cost, we are not getting him. Look for an African 16 year old who is the next 'Cavani' and we are definitely getting that SOB!

fakeyank
20-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Cesc back at Emirates should be nice. Hope he gets the applause he deserves for carrying a dead carcass on his back for a few years!

Coney
20-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Cesc back at Emirates should be nice. Hope he gets the applause he deserves for carrying a dead carcass on his back for a few years!

That's so unfair. I saw Arshavin move when someone held out a pie.

Cripps_orig
20-12-2011, 04:31 PM
There's a SSN special with Cesc on Christmas Day. Looking forward to it.Id rather watch the bitch speech

fakeyank
20-12-2011, 05:25 PM
That's so unfair. I saw Arshavin move when someone held out a pie.

I meant Denilson, Diaby, Almunia etc

Cripps_orig
20-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Harsh on Denilson tbh.

With him at the forefront of our CM whilst Cesc was pining over Barca in the 08/09 season, we went 20+ games unbeaten in the league and semis in the FA and CL competitions.

Cesc comes back and we fuck up

Moral of the story

Denilson>Cesc

McNamara That Ghost...
20-12-2011, 06:00 PM

That was a mullet.

Kano
20-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Harsh on Denilson tbh.

With him at the forefront of our CM whilst Cesc was pining over Barca in the 08/09 season, we went 20+ games unbeaten in the league and semis in the FA and CL competitions.

Cesc comes back and we fuck up

Moral of the story

Denilson>Cesc

we went 17 unbeaten

w7 d10 only scoring 24

it was one of the dullest unbeaten runs ive seen in my time supporting football as we had no creativity for most of it

and cesc didnt play in the roma game away we lost

Ollie the Optimist
21-12-2011, 12:20 AM
if i was at the game and cesc was there, id applaud him but wouldnt cheer. deserves some respect imo for what he did with us, but i wont boo him, abuse him etc nor will i shout and cheer. polite applause just to say thanks you did ok

Syn
21-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Doesn't deserve a favourable reception, nor a negative reception. Pure indifference.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Doesn't deserve a favourable reception, nor a negative reception. Pure indifference.

Think he will get Cheers and claps though.

Letters
21-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Why doesn't he deserve a favourable reception?

dazthegooner
21-12-2011, 10:03 AM

He always said he would always end up back at Barca so its not like he lied to us and it isn't his fault the way Barca conduct there transfer business!

Marc Overmars
21-12-2011, 10:14 AM
He admits to a loss of motivation in the upcoming SSN interview.

Cripps_orig
21-12-2011, 11:51 AM
:gp:He always said he would always end up back at Barca so its not like he lied to us and it isn't his fault the way Barca conduct there transfer business!he doesn't deserve one cos he always said he wanted to go to Barca. Was never fully committed to us, pined for Barca for years, refused to play for us, shite captain, a cunt, didn't tell his gay boys at Barca to stfu and probably encouraged when he went thereTake your pick.

dazthegooner
21-12-2011, 12:07 PM
he doesn't deserve one cos he always said he wanted to go to Barca. Was never fully committed to us, pined for Barca for years, refused to play for us, shite captain, a cunt, didn't tell his gay boys at Barca to stfu and probably encouraged when he went thereTake your pick.

Though he did speak very highly of you!

Letters
21-12-2011, 12:11 PM
no he didn't, he thought Ach was a dick like the rest of us.
He's not an Arsenal legend but I always thought he gave his best for us and was with us longer than he might have been given he always made it clear he'd go back to Barca at some point. I've got no issue with him.

dazthegooner
21-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Thats it hold back what you really feel :lol:

GP
21-12-2011, 12:37 PM
He admits to a loss of motivation in the upcoming SSN interview.

Does he also admit to being a greasy rentboy?

Syn
21-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Because, overall, I don’t think he did anything special for the club given what the club did for him. He didn’t give us any of his best years - he had barely turned 24 by the time he left. The club was used as a stepping stone and he left as soon as he could (given his only preference was Barcelona). By all accounts he wanted to leave the season before and his last season here was filled with apathetic performances and a complete lack of leadership in sharp contrast to the season before. and in sharp contrast to what Van Persie is doing now. There have been articles which highlight the lengths Van Persie (and his wife, apparently) are going to keep the players unified. I don’t think much of Cesc's character or leadership to the club not to tell Barca to cool it with the tapping up. Wenger made it clear he was frustrated with Barca’s behaviour, it was disrupting the club, and Cesc continued to say nothing whilst Barca players kept creating a stir.

I don’t blame Cesc for going - that’s what modern footballers are like and you can't expect a non-Arsenal fan to stay loyal to the club when a much better club wants him - but he did nothing special or selfless for the club. It worked out as a business deal for both parties. Shake hands, move on. Just another player.

Dennis Bendtner
21-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Why are some heroes talking about booing him anyway? He'll be holed up in some exec box. MOTD will cut to his face for a few seconds. Unless we're booing our TVs?

Coney
21-12-2011, 02:57 PM
He's not an Arsenal legend but I always thought he gave his best for us and was with us longer than he might have been given he always made it clear he'd go back to Barca at some point. I've got no issue with him.

:gp: If he had stayed another season, I see no reason to believe he would not have continued to do his best - when he is on the pitch he wants to perform regardless. He did score a penalty against Barca so I don't doubt his commitment. Had he lead us to victory in the CL he could have touched legend status but he didn't. But he was a dedicated player as far as I could tell. And he told Brown to fuck off. Nothing wrong with him.

Marc Overmars
21-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Cesc won't be invited back in 25 years when the club celebrates it's 150th birthday, put it that way.

However I don't feel any biterness towards him, sure he could have been a bit more professional last year instead of day-dreaming about Barca but he is only human, he obviously felt bogged down by the direction the club was heading in - we all felt like that.

I'm not going to sing his name or boo him. He was a good player for us and really fought for our cause at times, but he was never an Arsenal man, therefore I don't feel much of a connection or rapport with him.

Letters
21-12-2011, 03:49 PM
He wasn't a good captain but that's not his fault, Wenger's been notoriously poor at choosing captains.
Can't fault his efforts otherwise and while his goalscoring stats in his last season were poor he made a lot of assists and I never felt he was giving less than 100%

Master Splinter
21-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I never felt he was giving less than 100%

Is that because you felt he gave less than 0%?

Seriously though, did you watch him last season? He was awful.

GP
21-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Is that because you felt he gave less than 0%?

Seriously though, did you watch him last season? He was awful.

He was also greasy

Letters
21-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Seriously though, did you watch him last season?

Yes.

Syn
21-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Pervert.

Letters
21-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Pervert.
Yes

fakeyank
21-12-2011, 05:46 PM
:gp: If he had stayed another season, I see no reason to believe he would not have continued to do his best - when he is on the pitch he wants to perform regardless. He did score a penalty against Barca so I don't doubt his commitment. Had he lead us to victory in the CL he could have touched legend status but he didn't. But he was a dedicated player as far as I could tell. And he told Brown to fuck off. Nothing wrong with him.

He also told Pubis to fuck off!

Cripps_orig
21-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Brown was right about him

fakeyank
21-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Because, overall, I don’t think he did anything special for the club given what the club did for him. He didn’t give us any of his best years - he had barely turned 24 by the time he left. The club was used as a stepping stone and he left as soon as he could (given his only preference was Barcelona). By all accounts he wanted to leave the season before and his last season here was filled with apathetic performances and a complete lack of leadership in sharp contrast to the season before. and in sharp contrast to what Van Persie is doing now. There have been articles which highlight the lengths Van Persie (and his wife, apparently) are going to keep the players unified. I don’t think much of Cesc's character or leadership to the club not to tell Barca to cool it with the tapping up. Wenger made it clear he was frustrated with Barca’s behaviour, it was disrupting the club, and Cesc continued to say nothing whilst Barca players kept creating a stir.

I don’t blame Cesc for going - that’s what modern footballers are like and you can't expect a non-Arsenal fan to stay loyal to the club when a much better club wants him - but he did nothing special or selfless for the club. It worked out as a business deal for both parties. Shake hands, move on. Just another player.

Well if AW showed some inclination to bring in world class players alongside him instead of the crap he played with, he'd have wanted to stay. He was wanted by his boyhood club who were sweeping all before him and anyone would get their head turned! Look at all the players he had to play with- Almunia, Diaby, Denilson, Chakma, Squillaci, Walcott, Rosicky, Clichy etc to name some...

I blame AW for him wanting to leave so early and I also blame AW for bowing down to Barca's price. Arsene couldve told Cesc "You know you are worth more than 40 million quid and you know that. I know you want to go back but I have to look for whats best for the club. If they match our price valuation, I will sanction your sale"- plain and simple!

Syn
21-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Well if AW showed some inclination to bring in world class players alongside him instead of the crap he played with, he'd have wanted to stay. He was wanted by his boyhood club who were sweeping all before him and anyone would get their head turned! Look at all the players he had to play with- Almunia, Diaby, Denilson, Chakma, Squillaci, Walcott, Rosicky, Clichy etc to name some...

I blame AW for him wanting to leave so early and I also blame AW for bowing down to Barca's price. Arsene couldve told Cesc "You know you are worth more than 40 million quid and you know that. I know you want to go back but I have to look for whats best for the club. If they match our price valuation, I will sanction your sale"- plain and simple!

I disagree but in either case:

I don’t blame Cesc for going

The rest of your reply is typically naive.

fakeyank
21-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I disagree but in either case:

The rest of your reply is typically naive.

You disagree that he had to play alongside at best mediocre players for the last 3-4 years of his time with us? You disagree that AW didnt do a lot to get top players at Arsenal?

Cripps_orig
25-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has spoken of his desire to one day play for Arsenal again.

The Spanish international left the Emirates Stadium in the summer after a protracted transfer saga involving the Gunners and the club where he first began his career.

The 24-year-old eventually joined the European champions for an initial fee of £25 million, but says that leaving north London was a deeply emotional time for him.

"If I have to leave Barcelona, I will go back to Arsenal - I would like to," Fabregas told Sky Sports News. "I am not embarrassed to say that the day I left I could only say 'Thank you very much', I couldn't say more.

"I'm not embarrassed to say that I nearly cried. Arsene Wenger, I have never met someone that loyal. He is one of the best, I really believe that."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2011/12/25/2817626/cesc-fabregas-if-i-have-to-leave-barcelona-i-will-go-back-to

We dont need you :good:

Marc Overmars
26-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I watched the SSN interview, thought he was quite honest about what happened last season. He wasn't sugar coating anything or saying things to appease us.

Good luck to him anyway. :good:

Japan Shaking All Over
27-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Would dind it difficult to get in the current time :shrug:

Olivier's xmas twist
28-12-2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2011/12/25/2817626/cesc-fabregas-if-i-have-to-leave-barcelona-i-will-go-back-to

We dont need you :good:

So all the time he was with us, he kept bleating on about how he'd love to be at barca.

Now he is with Barca he is bleating on about how he'd love to play for us.

go on Jack and song put a shirt on him and tweet about how much he should join us.

Cripps_orig
28-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Ray Parlour says there is “no chance” Arsenal will win the Premier League this season after their 1-1 draw with Wolves on Tuesday.
The Gunners sit 12 points behind Manchester City and Manchester United after the frustrating stalemate at the Emirates and Parlour claims the title is now out of his former club’s reach.
“They have been playing well but they have got no chance of winning the league, Arsenal, being realistic about it,” he said.

Parlour believes Arsenal’s fierce rivals Spurs, however, are serious title contenders after their victory over Norwich tightened their grip on third place.
“Come April, if they are up there, they have got a great chance of winning it Spurs, no doubt about it,” he added.
“From Arsenal’s point of view, it’s now top four. For me, Arsenal can’t win the league but top four is vital to be in that Champions League.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1414/52/exclusive-%E2%80%93-parlour-says-spurs-can-win-title-arsenal-have-no-chance

Cant disagree with that

Olivier's xmas twist
28-12-2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1414/52/exclusive-%E2%80%93-parlour-says-spurs-can-win-title-arsenal-have-no-chance

Cant disagree with that

Give him a blue peter badge for stating the obvious.

Cripps_orig
29-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Arsenal goalkeeping legend Bob Wilson has backed the club's potential loan signing of Thierry Henry, insisting that a return to the Emirates Stadium would help inspire Robin van Persie.

The New York Red Bulls star has been linked with a two-month loan deal with the Gunners and Wilson believes the club cannot afford to miss out.

He told lbc97.3: "I don't think Arsenal can lose out. I think it would be a great thing that Thierry would be there. I think also it would be a little bit of an inspiration to Van Persie.

"You only have to see the guys at the training ground when Thierry walks in. It sort of lifts spirits everywhere, because he's such a level-headed guy with an extraordinary record.

"I think that whereas with Vieria, Arsene thought, 'No, I don't want to risk [it at his] age' I don't think he would lose any status.

"People are saying, 'You don't want to lose legendary status.' Well, everybody knows why he's there.

"And in the same way that Wenger brought back Lehmann as a goalkeeper with his legendary status as a player in the 49 games they went unbeaten, I think it would be a huge lift for the fans.

"They need cover at this moment in time. I think it would be a good call."

Wilson also believes Liverpool's greatest managers would be disappointed by the way the club has handled the Luis Suarez racism case.

The striker has been banned for eight games following the use of racist language towards Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

But manager Kenny Dalglish and the rest of the squad, including the Uruguayan himself, wore t-shirts with the striker's name on the back in support as the club felt let down by the FA after the sanction was announced.

Wilson added: "Okay, you support your man. But I think Shankly and Fagan and Paisley - at this moment - would be saying, 'You got it wrong, guys. That is really not what Liverpool Football Club should be doing.'

"Liverpool like Arsenal had a way of doing things. All I would say is that they should never have gone down the road of those t-shirts."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/29/2823114/arsenal-legend-bob-wilson-believes-loan-signing-of-thierry-henry-

Its a shame no one is looking at the bigger picture here

dazthegooner
29-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Well we all know we have no chance of winning the league we all knew this before the season started we have good players but not the experience which Wenger eventually brought in (bit too late mind but still) the most we can look at is 4th place because lets be fare we are not going to win the champions league and for Parlour to even think the spuds can win the league he must be in contact with Merson and smoking the shit he did... Yes they have been playing well resently but they don't have in it them to win it outright it will be a straight battle between Surrey Utd and the Arab globe trotters.

Master Splinter
30-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Bob Wilson's views should go in the Mindless Optimism thread tbf.

What a man :bow:.

Cripps_orig
30-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Former Arsenal midfielder Paul Davis has welcomed the prospective return of Thierry Henry to the Emirates and is certain the former French international will bolster the Gunners on and off the field.

Davis is adamant the former Arsenal skipper will bolster Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger’s push for a place in the top four of the Premier League if he agrees a two-month deal, because of the example he will set to younger players and his overall footballing ability.

“To have a player of Thierry Henry’s stature coming back to Arsenal is fantastic for the players that are there and it’s great for the club as a whole even if it is just for two months,” Davis told Goal.com.

“It’s a great idea. It could be a win-win situation and I see no reason why it shouldn’t work out well. He is a fantastic character to have around the place both on and off the field. He is a fabulous role model, especially for the younger players that wouldn’t have got to play with him but will have heard so much about him and what he did for the club.

“His personality and the way he conducts himself mean that it will be great for players likes Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey to have him around and [for] Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott, who will know him from his first spell.

“Because he is so experienced, Thierry will be able to show them the path forward and that has got to benefit the club. I can’t think of a better person to have around a group of young players than someone like Thierry Henry.

“It is all a big plus for me. To have someone like him around is a bonus.

“Having him around will really boost the chances of Arsenal finishing in the top four of the Premier League at the end of the season.

“What makes his so special, apart from his footballing ability which is there for everyone to see is his character.”

Davis, who made 447 appearances and scored 37 times for Arsenal between 1978 and 1995, is optimistic that Henry, who left Arsenal for Barcelona in 2007, still has what it takes to have a positive impact in the Premier League following a season of Major League Soccer in the United States with New York Red Bulls.

“Even if he is not at his very best as we saw when he was at Arsenal and then Barcelona, there can be no doubting that he has the skill, the pace and the all-round ability to do well for the club,” added Davis.

“I don’t know how fit he is but the manager and the coaching staff must feel that he is up to the appropriate level. No-one should doubt the manager’s judgement so there is no better person to come in than Thierry.

“The hardest thing will be actually playing in the games. I don’t know how easy it will be for him to fit back into things after being away for so long and spending the last season in America.

“It will be interesting to see if he can keep up with the pace of the Premier League now he is 34 but I wouldn’t bet against him having a really positive impact. He has that much quality – it’s just a matter of him getting up to the speed of the Premier League again."

Henry helped Arsenal win two Premier League titles and three FA Cups and remains Arsenal’s leading goalscorer with 226 goals in 370 games.

Davis, who is currently working for the Professional Footballers’ Association's coaching department, is confident that Henry's reputation will not be tarnished by his return.

“He is one of the best players that the Premier League has ever seen and if the manager does go ahead and offer him a deal it will be because he has seen enough when Thierry has been training with the rest of the squad,” said Davis.

“To come back and pick it all up again when he is four years older will be a challenge for him, I think, but there’s no way he will spoil the memories of Arsenal fans who used to worship him for the amazing things he did at the club.

“The interesting thing will be how he adapts to playing, whether that be from the start or whether he is used as an impact player from the bench, and whether he can create performances that will yield goals or create goalscoring chances.

"Ultimately, that is how this temporary spell will be judged. We will have to wait and see how much of a difference he can make out there on the pitch but off it he will do a fantastic job for the club."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/30/2823388/the-stature-of-thierry-henry-makes-him-perfect-player-to

Cripps_orig
31-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Ex-Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira believes Gunners youth team coach Steve Bould should be the managerial successor to Arsene Wenger.

Bould played for the Gunners between 1988 and 1999, notching up 369 appearances as part of a back-four that included Lee Dixon and Tony Adams.

Although not an obvious candidate to the Emirates hot-seat, Vieira believes his work with the north London club’s youth teams would merit his appointment.

“Steve Bould has been doing really well,” the Frenchman told Colourful Radio.

“If I had to say a name then it would be him because he deserves it.”

After retiring from professional football in 2000, the former Stoke City & Sunderland defender began earning his Uefa coaching badges.

Bould subsequently joined the Arsenal coaching team and has won numerous trophies with the Under-18s side as head coach of the youth team.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/30/2824011/patrick-vieira-backs-arsenal-youth-coach-steve-bould-to

No thanks. We need someone experienced to get us out of the rut

Cripps_orig
31-12-2011, 12:57 AM
With Thierry Henry (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/france/1145/thierry-henry) set to seal a two-month loan return to Arsenal (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/england/94/arsenal), former Gunners midfielder Stewart Robson has aired caution, suggesting the 34-year-old's arrival at the Emirates could prove less than beneficial.

Whilst the majority of the footballing world has hailed the Frenchman's return to north London, Robson has intimated the New York Red Bulls striker's presence may cause unrest in the Arsenal camp.

“I can understand all the reasons why Arsene Wenger has taken him back - he has been training there and it will give the crowd a lift - but I’m not sure it’s a good move," Robson toldTalkSport.

"For the last two years that Thierry Henry was at the club his ego made him the biggest player there and other players fell by the wayside because of that.

"I’m just worried for the likes of van Persie, for the likes of [Theo] Walcott, for the likes of [Aaron] Ramsey, that Thierry Henry wants all the limelight, takes all the limelight, and it takes away from Arsenal getting back on a good run.

“One of the reasons Robin van Persie didn’t progress as quickly as he should have done three or four years ago and why [Jose Antonio] Reyes didn’t become the player that he should have done at Arsenal, and why two or three other players fell by the wayside, was because of Thierry Henry. There’s no question about it."

The 47-year-old has also suggested that Henry's presence at the club first-time round 'undermined' the confidence of a number of younger players.

“I’ve spoken to one or two of the young players at Arsenal that were then when Thierry Henry was there and they said he undermined their confidence. He was a player that threatened them, that didn’t like being threatened himself.

“When Robin van Persie came into the side and looked as though he could be a better player than Thierry Henry and when Reyes came to the club, they were undermined by Thierry Henry. I hope that doesn’t happen again because Robin van Persie is now showing what a world class player he is.

“I’m just hoping that Thierry Henry will realise he’s not the player he once was and won’t try to hog the limelight.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/30/2824172/thierry-henry-must-not-hog-the-limelight-or-he-will-cause-unrest-

F (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/12/30/2824172/thierry-henry-must-not-hog-the-limelight-or-he-will-cause-unrest-)inally some sense. Agree with all Robson says

Cripps_orig
31-12-2011, 02:01 AM
PEOPLE say you should never go back to an old club but, sometimes, it can actually work.

I'm pleased Thierry Henry is returning to Arsenal and I really hope he is a massive success.

Had I been given the opportunity,I'd also have jumped at the chance of a second spell with the Gunners.

But I have a couple of problems with this deal.

The first is that I don't like the fact it's only a two-month loan — it seems a bit weird.

It will be incredibly frustrating if Henry does brilliantly for Arsenal and then, at the start of March, he goes back to the United States and plays for New York Red Bulls again.

He could blitz Spurs in his final game at the end of February then everyone would be on a downer if he left. Arsenal and boss Arsene Wenger would be back to square one.

So for this reason, Wenger should try to make his move permanent if he does superbly.

Henry should finish his career with the club and then take a role behind the scenes, like Patrick Vieira has done at Manchester City.

My other issue is that this move is proof that Wenger has not signed a quality striker since Henry, 34, left for Barcelona in 2007.

Obviously, Robin van Persie has emerged as one of the best strikers on the planet — particularly in 2011 — and he will not be threatened by Henry's arrival.

But I am sure he would have liked a bit more help over these last couple of years yet Wenger has not bought big — and the club has suffered as a result.

Instead, we have a situation where Arsenal have gone back for a player who, in some peoples' eyes, has been grazing in the United States.

I can understand why Arsenal fans are buzzing.

Over the last few years, they have seen their club struggle to compete financially with Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and even Liverpool.

So on this occasion, a stellar player has fallen into their laps.

I hope Henry will be a great influence on the team and he'll help ease some of the immense pressure on skipper Van Persie.

Maybe Henry can help influence players such as fellow striker Gervinho and midfield playmaker Aaron Ramsey to contribute with a few more goals.

But as I said, the situation is not exactly ideal as Henry will be back at the club for such a short space of time.

Regardless of that, I would still like to still see Arsenal strengthen in the goalscoring department next month.

Whatever Henry could do in the MLS next season, I still feel he could have a bigger impact at the Emirates.

It's important that Arsenal fans remember there is a big difference between a player who is 30 and one who is 34.

When Henry left for Barcelona in 2007, he still possessed electric pace like no other player.

Because he has looked after himself, the Gunners legend will still cause problems with his speed but he will not be quite as explosive as before.

Equally, though, I remember being a lot wiser when I was playing at 34.

Henry is also an incredibly intelligent player and he will use that experience to his advantage.

As a result, I still think he will still be one of the best players in the Premier League.

There will be a lot of pressure on his shoulders — but then that will not be new to him.

Even when a lot was expected of him at Arsenal, he still delivered some wonderful, magical moments. I would have him in a top 20 of all-time players.

Another reason why Arsenal fans are walking around with a smile on their faces is that they know Henry is now one of them. He is a massive fan of the club.

You sometimes hear some players talk about their love for a team but you wonder whether they really mean it. With Henry, you know that when Arsenal lose a game, even if he is on the other side of the Atlantic, it is hurting him.

Henry sets high standards as a player and he will expect the same from his team-mates at the club's London Colney training ground.

But it's not as though the Gunners first team don't know Henry as the Frenchman has already trained with them.

I know this deal has not been rubber-stamped yet so it could be a week or so before Henry is available — with his first game possibly against Leeds in the FA Cup third round a week on Monday.

The sight of Henry warming up on the touchline at the Emirates will be an incredible sight for Arsenal fans — and no doubt a chilling one for the opposing defence.

If he starts causing havoc in the Premier League — just like he used to in his first spell at Arsenal between 1999 and 2007 — then Wenger and his board will have a major decision to make.

And that will be to pick up the phone to New York and make a decent offer.

It will be a case of going back to the future for my old club.

But Wenger will know that Henry running out in an Arsenal shirt again will not be the answer to all of his problems.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4029613/Ian-Wright-Thierry-Henry-cant-fix-everything-at-Arsenal.html

Agree with it all bar the last line cos Wenger will believe that Henry is the answer to all our problems

Cripps_orig
31-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Former Arsenal defender Lee Dixon says Thierry Henry's likely return to the club on loan is a "risky" move.

Gunners legend Henry, 34, is set to rejoin on a two-month deal from Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls.

"I always think it's risky going back to a club," Dixon told BBC Sport. "He will never recapture that magic."

Ex-Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson disagreed, saying: "Thierry could still do a great job, even off the bench - I think it's a win-win situation."

Henry has been training with the club during the MLS off-season and it is understood a deal is likely to be completed over the weekend.

With Gervinho and Marouane Chamakh set to depart for the Africa Cup of Nations in January, the Frenchman would offer back-up to captain Robin van Persie.

Henry captained Arsenal for two seasons before joining Barcelona in 2007 and is their all-time leading goalscorer, with 226 goals in 370 appearances.

Dixon was Henry's team-mate between 1999 and 2004, but he is unsure how successful the move will prove.

"He will never recapture that magic," said the former England right-back. "He is not the player he was when he left, that is obvious.

"His pace has waned a little and he is several years older, which does slow down the body. He needs longer to get over games now, even at MLS level.

"A full 90 minutes in the Premier League, having been so long out, may be too much to ask."

Dixon did, however, suggest that Arsenal's dressing room would benefit from Henry's arrival.

"His stature at the club is such that everyone will be lifted by his signing, albeit for two months," stated Dixon. "He will invigorate a dressing room that is now showing some signs of experience - a missing ingredient in recent years.

"[Arsenal manager] Arsene Wenger and Thierry are very close and I'm sure they have talked about how his position will be used. With the African Cup of Nations intruding into the domestic calendar then it is feasible that Thierry might be needed to start a game or two.

"But he will be of best use as an impact sub. He is a top drawer finisher, no doubt, and he will score if given a chance - although I think that Arsenal are still short up front, even with Thierry."

Having spoken to Henry about the move, Wilson can only see it having a positive effect.

"Arsene would not bring him in if he didn't think he was up to the job," Wilson commented. "There is sentimentality but Arsene is very sensible about it.

"Imagine if you were struggling a bit and you needed a little impetus - both for the crowd and the team - and you bring Thierry Henry off the bench. I think the opposition would be a little bit nervous of what they were about to face.

"I actually spoke to Thierry about it on Saturday and he said, 'what do you think?'. I said, 'look. I know what you're thinking, the legendary bit - but you won't lose that'.

"I don't think you can lose it. He will always be up there as one of the truly great, great Arsenal players.

"Anybody who played against him, never mind people who watched him play, will say I was privileged to play against Thierry Henry."

Nigel Winterburn played alongside Henry for a season and he is looking forward to seeing Henry reunited with Arsenal's current leading striker Robin van Persie.

"I've seen him in MLS a few times and he still looks very, very sharp - but the Premier League is a different ball game," explained former Gunners left-back Winterburn. "I just hope it works for Arsene Wenger and Thierry Henry.

"The one thing that excites me is looking at how the team will play. Will Van Persie still be the main man at centre forward, will Henry sit on the bench or just play when Van Persie needs a rest, or will Wenger play them together? It's exciting for Arsenal supporters.

"I just hope everything goes as everyone expects it to. Some say it's not a risk, but when you have had a living legend like Thierry Henry at the football club you remember him for what he was, and I hope it doesn't go wrong.

"I'm excited about it but I look at the flip side as well. Although it's only a short period of time - only two months - I hope it doesn't fall flat on its face."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16370385.stm

BBC :doh:

Also need full backs so get Dixon and Winterburn back asap tbh

Cant be any worse than mega shite Jenkinson

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Former Arsenal striker John Hartson has called on Arsene Wenger to stop blaming refereeing decisions when results do not go his side's way.

The Gunners were pegged back to a 2-1 defeat at Craven Cottage on Monday following late goals from Steve Sidwell and Bobby Zamora, after defender Johan Djourou was sent off by Lee Probert.

The Frenchman criticised the decisions of the officials in the aftermath of the loss, but ex-Wales international Hartson has called on the 62-year-old to look at his team's performances instead, and believes the Djourou's dismissal was correct.
Hartson told Talksport: “People are sick of it. You want Wenger to come out and say ‘look, my players were ill-disciplined’.

“Over the years at Arsenal the discipline has been woeful under Wenger. You want him to take it [the blame] on the chin.

“We all know Arsenal should have won the game, they go 1-0 up but that’s a dangerous score line, they needed that second goal. Fulham are always thinking, one more goal and we’re back in this.

“I’m getting sick of excuses [from Wenger]. I don’t know how you can defend his comments really. I genuinely feel Djourou deserved to get sent off.

“The first tackle on Dembele was a definite booking, and a rash referee could have sent him off. Then he gets away with another one on Frei that could have been a booking and then the third one on Zamora.

“Zamora's a very clever player and if you’re clean through and then pulled back, clever players go down. You’ve seen Arsenal players like Samir Nasri, Cesc Fabregas and Robert Pires all go down under Wenger.

“This is was what clever players do. If they are touched, if they’ve felt a little bit on the shoulder, they go down. It’s not cheating, it’s clever.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/03/2828252/ex-arsenal-striker-john-hartson-slams-arsene-wengers

Ollie the Optimist
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/03/2828252/ex-arsenal-striker-john-hartson-slams-arsene-wengers

yeah but when you get denied four stonewall penatlies in five games, someone has to stand up. the last three games, the refs ahve been fucking awful. not just for us, for wolves too

Master Splinter
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Hartson is one of the thickest people in the world.

He makes Ian Wright seem intelligent.

He also makes Ian Wright's vocabulary seem impressive.

Cripps_orig
03-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Ian Wright has come out with some good articles tbf concerning us which are on this thread.

I dont read anything else he writes

Master Splinter
03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Do you see him when he opens his mouth on television?

Xhaka Can’t
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I dont read anything else he writes

Take one word out of that sentence and you'll know 50% more about football.

Cripps_orig
09-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Former Arsenal player Martin Keown believes Arsene Wenger has now dealt with the club’s problems in defence.

The centre-back made over 300 appearances for the club, winning three Premier League titles and three FA Cups under the French manager, in addition to the Uefa Cup Winners' Cup in 1994.

The Gunners’ last match finished in disappointment as Fulham seized victory with two late goals to overturn Laurent Koscielny’s opening goal, however, the club's form towards the end of 2011 was a substantial improvement from the start of the season when they were routinely shipping goals and losing games.

The team re-grouped and have now risen to fifth place, a point behind Chelsea, and have qualified from the Champions League group stages.

“I know they were caught by a pair of late sucker punches at Fulham, but I am less concerned by Arsenal’s defence now,” Keown told The Mirror.

“They have looked pretty solid, even with a big injury list, and Wojciech Szczesny, apart from one uncharacteristic mistake the other night, has been outstanding.

“A year ago people were screaming at Arsene Wenger to go out and buy a world-class keeper, but Szczesny looks like he’s going to be the solution after all. The other demand was for a commanding centre-back, and Per Mertesacker has settled in well.”

It has in fact been at full-back that the Gunners have looked short this season, as left-backs Kieran Gibbs and Andre Santos, along with right-backs Bacary Sagna and Carl Jenkinson, have all been out through injury. The club have recently deployed of a back four consisting entirely of centre-backs.

Turning to the Gunners’ attack, Keown added: “Bringing Thierry [Henry] back, even on a short-term basis, is a gamble but it’s a real treat for the fans and he has obviously looked sharp in training so he deserves that opportunity.

“[Robin] van Persie is a magnificent striker, but he can’t win football matches on his own every week.”

The Dutch international has scored almost half of his side’s goals in the Premier League with 17 out of the Gunners’ 36.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/09/2837719/former-arsenal-centre-back-martin-keown-praises-per

Cripps_orig
09-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Arsenal (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/england/94/arsenal-fc) legend Martin Keown believes that the return of former captain Thierry Henry (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/people/france/1145/thierry-henry) could see the Gunners (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/08/2836071/martin-keown-thierry-henry-will-restore-pride-at-arsenal#) end their silverware drought.

The last time that the north London club won a trophy was during his first stint with the club, when they beat Manchester United in the 2005 FA Cup final on penalties.

Arsene Wenger's men (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/08/2836071/martin-keown-thierry-henry-will-restore-pride-at-arsenal#) have since endured a barren period that has lasted six years, but the former England international reckons the return of the club's top goalscorer could bring about a change in fortunes.

For now, the Gunners take on Leeds United (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/08/2836071/martin-keown-thierry-henry-will-restore-pride-at-arsenal#) in the third round of the FA Cup on Monday.

"He has been magnificent against Leeds in the past," Keown is quoted by The Sunday Mirroras saying, in reference to the Frenchman's tally of nine goals in his last five matches against the west Yorkshire club.

"It will be a treat for the fans, the manager and the player *himself. It’s like being transported back in time — a fantasy come true for everyone.

"He may be a bit slower. And it might not be till the end of the two-month loan that we see glimpses of what he did before.

"But I think his return will restore Arsenal’s pride. It will energise *Arsene Wenger and he’ll be a huge influence on the young stars such as Jack Wilshere and Theo *Walcott. Theo idolises him. It could certainly *galvanise the team into winning a *trophy."

Keown also insists that he had a feeling that Wenger would bring Henry back into the fold after watching him train during the MLS off-season.

"I saw him train with Arsenal on a corporate day and I saw the reaction from Arsene," he said.

"There was a glint in his eye and I wondered if he would bring him back.

"At the beginning of the season, Arsenal had lost a gumshield and were lying on the floor on their backs. Now, they’re on their feet and I think Thierry can deliver a knockout punch. He is the best athlete I’ve ever seen with a pair of boots on."

Concerning the upcoming game against Leeds, Keown added: "It’s one of the big games in English football (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/08/2836071/martin-keown-thierry-henry-will-restore-pride-at-arsenal#).

"It’s a shame what’s happened to Leeds since they were in the Champions League semi-final 10 years ago.

"The Premier League has missed them."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2900/fa-cup/2012/01/08/2836071/martin-keown-thierry-henry-will-restore-pride-at-arsenal

Olivier's xmas twist
09-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Keown :bow:

Cripps_orig
10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Former Arsenal captain and Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has expressed his delight at Thierry Henry’s goal on returning to the north London side.

The Frenchman netted the winner against Leeds united in the FA Cup third round after coming on from the bench in his first match since joining on a two-month loan deal from MLS outfit New York Red Bulls.

Henry’s goal was the 227th of his Arsenal career and former team-mate Fabregas congratulated him on his successful comeback.

The Spaniard said via Twitter: “Just seen Thierry's goal last night. Only he could have done something like that... Special players for special moments. Fantastic!”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/10/2839769/barcelonas-cesc-fabregas-hails-fantastic-thierry-henry-after

Cripps_orig
10-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Robert Pires has ruled out a possible return to Arsenal, insisting he is only training with the club to maintain his fitness levels.

Having seen his old team-mate Thierry Henry enjoy a fairytale return when he netted the winner for the Gunners against Leeds United, there have been suggestions that the former France international could be tempted for a similar return to his old club, with whom he has been training recently.

Jack Wilshere took to his Twitter account to add weight to the rumour, stating: “Super, super Robert Pires is training today........return of another king?!? How amazing would that be!”

But the 38-year-old has moved to quash any such talk of a return, insisting on his own account on the social networking site: “And of course i am training just to maintain my fitness level! But thanks I appreciate you all want me back at Arsenal!”

Pires has been seeking a new club since his departure from Aston Villa over the summer, and it was believed in some quarters that the winger was contemplating hanging up his boots.

But the former Villarreal man was rumoured to have been approached by French side Valenciennes last month, and with the January transfer window now open, he would be free to seal a move to the club.

Pires won three FA Cups and two Premier League titles in an illustrious career with Arsenal, and was part of the famous 'Invincibles' side which went unbeaten in the 2003-04 league season.

He also earned 79 caps for France, winning the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/10/2840370/robert-pires-rules-out-arsenal-return-after-training-with

Pires :bow:

Cripps_orig
10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Frank McLintock has praised Thierry Henry for his ‘brave decision’ to return to Arsenal - and claims it's paid off.
The New York Red Bulls star has agreed a six-week loan deal at the Gunners and scored on his return to the side he spent eight years with to earn Arsene Wenger's side a 1-0 win over Leeds in the FA Cup Third Round.
It’s been five years since the Frenchman’s move to Barcelona and he has since had a statue erected outside the Emirates to celebrate his achievements at the club.

I thought it was a brave thing for Henry to come back

Frank McLintock
Many have claimed the 34-year-old’s comeback could have harmed his legacy at the club but former captain McLintock insists Henry has lifted the crowd and the whole squad.
“I thought it was brave thing for Henry to come back,” McLintock told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast. “He could have damaged his reputation so much.
“Last night made a huge difference, it gives Arsenal a great boost. Henry wasn’t in the game much but his movement is still terrific.
“Chamakh was facing up all the time and Leeds were just compressing him and compressing him, there wasn’t any room. As soon as Henry came on he was on the shoulder of the defenders and he was stretching them immediately. That made it much easier and gave them more space.
“That’s what Robin Van Persie and Henry give [the team]. He’s so brave to come back. It could have gone a different way for him and everyone could have shaken their heads and said no – he's not the same player as he has been.
"I was so pleased for him last night and he did lift the crowd and the players as well.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1450/86/exclusive-mclintock-hails-henrys-brave-arsenal-return

Paid off? :lol:

LDG
11-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Adams - Mertesacker is making good progress
Tony Adams has given his seal of approval to Per Mertesacker.

The legendary centre-back, who made 669 appearances in 19 years as an Arsenal player, is an admirer of the German international who moved to Emirates Stadium at the end of the transfer window.

Adams believes Mertesacker is forging a strong understanding with Thomas Vermaelen and Laurent Koscielny at the heart of defence. This pool of talent reminds the former captain of his halcyon days in north London when the Club was renowned for its defensive solidity.

“I've seen Per Mertesacker a few times now, he interests me and I think he is a good player,” Adams told Arsenal.com. “I think he is very intelligent and he knows how to play central defence.

“I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him because I don't think Thomas Vermaelen has actually played enough with him just yet. But they could be a fantastic central defensive partnership and would certainly excite me.

“It'd be like going back to the days of Adams, Bould, Keown maybe.”

Tony :bow:

If he says it; It's right :good:

Syn
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
That's true enough.

Adams: Vermaelen not good enough for Gunners

Legendary Arsenal defender Tony Adams has warned manager Arsene Wenger not to splash out on rumoured target Thomas Vermaelen this summer.

The 23-year-old has made more than 80 league appearances for the Dutch giants since joining in 2003 - scoring against Aston Villa in last season's UEFA Cup - and has established himself as one of the most highly-rated stoppers in the Eredivisie.
And his form has led to speculation linking his name with a possible move to the Emirates Stadium during the close season, with the Gunners' faithful keen on Wenger to sign several experienced heads to compliment their vast array of talented youngsters.
However, Adams - who spent several years coaching in Holland - does not believe the Belgian stopper is ready for the rough and tumble of the Premier League yet.

"I think Thomas is a very good player but I don’t think he’s ready for the Arsenal," said Adams, who made more than 500 league appearances for the Gunners, winning four league titles.

"I don’t think the punters at Arsenal would like another small one.

"I don’t know whether he’ll end up going for a bigger player. We’ll see how much money we’ve got first.

"I have been looking at the Dutch league, but to be honest with you it’s been decimated.

"It’s a poor league at the moment, there’s one or two players but they’re leaving too early."

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/32015/default.aspx

LDG
11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Like I said.

If he said it; It's bullshit :good:

LDG
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1450/86/exclusive-mclintock-hails-henrys-brave-arsenal-return

Paid off? :lol:

Exactly. Where did it say that in his quotes. Awful journalism.

Boss
21-01-2012, 02:41 PM
14.00 GMT: Samir Nasri has been speaking to The Times about his move from Arsenal to Eastlands. He said: "I didn't choose Manchester City for the money. The Premier League table shows that."

:angel:

Syn
21-01-2012, 02:47 PM
His logic is appalling. In any case, I don't think he moved solely for the money. But I think, at this moment in time, if he is seriously happy with the choice he made, then his mentality is no better than a glory-hunting child who's self-worth is tied to how his sport team is performing - because he has made absolutely zero impact on what the premier league table shows right now.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-01-2012, 02:56 PM
:angel:

Oh come on he was never going to say he went for the money was he. and saying look at the league table to stupid because when he 1st went there he had no idea city would be top like this did he.

Master Splinter
21-01-2012, 02:57 PM
glory-hunting child who's self-worth is tied to how his sport team is performing

These types sound familiar..........

Niall_Quinn
21-01-2012, 04:06 PM
His logic is appalling. In any case, I don't think he moved solely for the money. But I think, at this moment in time, if he is seriously happy with the choice he made, then his mentality is no better than a glory-hunting child who's self-worth is tied to how his sport team is performing - because he has made absolutely zero impact on what the premier league table shows right now.

He's a greedy lesbian cunt.

Xhaka Can’t
21-01-2012, 05:05 PM
And a liar.

Niall_Quinn
21-01-2012, 05:12 PM
And a liar.

And on the bench.

Master Splinter
21-01-2012, 05:14 PM
And on the bench.

Did you hear he was a dyke as well?

Olivier's xmas twist
21-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Did you hear he was a dyke as well?

Her girlfriend Ach told NQ so.

Cripps_orig
23-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn fears Robin van Persie is losing faith in manager Arsene Wenger after Sunday’s agonising home defeat to Manchester United.

The Gunners captain openly shared the frustration of the Emirates Stadium crowd when Wenger opted to cut short youngster Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s sensational full Premier League debut after 73 minutes and replace him with out-of-favour Russian Andrey Arshavin.

Winterburn believes the talismanic Dutchman’s reaction to the decision was telling, and fears any further loss of hope may drive him to leave the club when his current contract expires at the end of next season.

"I know Robin van Persie loves the football club,” Winterburn told Sky Sports News.

“What was slightly worrying yesterday was his reaction when [Alex] Oxlade-Chamberlain was brought off and also at the end of the game.

"He was staring into the abyss. You wonder what he was thinking there.

"It was almost like 'oh no not again, we got ourselves into a great position and we've let it slip'.

"I hope he stays. I think Arsene Wenger will be looking at himself and the players he's got at the football club to analyse where it has gone wrong for Arsenal.

"They've got to re-focus for the end of the season, try and get into fourth position and I hope he will re-strengthen the squad in the summer."http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/23/2861860/he-was-staring-into-the-abyss-arsenal-legend-nigel

Hope he re-strengthens in the summer? Heard that every summer

Niall_Quinn
23-01-2012, 02:10 PM
"They've got to re-focus for the end of the season, try and get into fourth position and I hope he will re-strengthen the squad in the summer."

New and refreshing take on things.

Cripps_orig
23-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Ray Parlour believes the sooner Andrey Arshavin moves away for Arsenal the better for both club and player.
The Russian allowed Antonio Valencia to ran away from him and set up Manchester United’s winner in their 2-1victory against the Gunners on Sunday.
Arshavin had only just come onto the pitch, in place of Alex Oxlade-chamberlain, and the Emirates faithful voiced their opinion of the substitution by booing the change.
Many fans have criticised Arsene Wenger for the decision but former Highbury favourite Parlour claims the fault lies squarely at the ex-Zenit St. Petersburg midfielder’s door.
“He’s not for me,” Parlour told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast. “Arsene Wenger trains with them every day and must see something in him that can affect the team though.
“Arshavin looks disinterested in playing though. I don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t get enough chances or he’s not getting enough football.

I don’t know what the situation is but the quicker he moves on the better for Arsenal, and probably himself

Ray Parlour
“I don’t know what the situation is but the quicker he moves on the better for Arsenal, and probably himself.
“He’s not playing on a regular basis. He must be frustrated and when he does get his chance he doesn’t really take it.
“He comes on and he’s not interested in the game. I wouldn’t have put him on but I’m not the manager.”
Many fans were angry about Arshavin’s introduction because Oxlade-Chamberlain, making his first Premier League start for the Gunners, was playing so well.
And Parlour believes the former Southampton winger has a bright future for both club and country.
“He’s fantastic, a different class,” Parlour added. “I saw Thierry Henry after the game and he said to me he’s something else.
“Some players at his age would be scared to get involved in the game as much as he did. Some of his first touches and his running with the ball was brilliant.
“He really enjoyed himself and he’s a massive prospect for Arsenal and England. He’s going to grow into a better player and deserves to keep his place for the next game.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1483/93/exclusive-parlour-arsenal-must-get-rid-arshavin

Xhaka Can’t
23-01-2012, 05:50 PM
He really enjoyed himself and he’s a massive prospect for Arsenal and England. He’s going to grow into a better player and deserves to keep his place for the next game.”

You just have to wonder about these ex-players.

There is no point playing Oxo if he is sick, injured and asthmatic.

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Alan Smith: the five reasons why Arsene Wenger is starting to lose his grip at Arsenal
From players showing dissent to disquiet among supporters, where is it all going wrong for Arsenal's once-revered manager?

Failing to keep star names
On July 11 last year, Arsene Wenger said this: “Imagine the worst situation — we lose Fabregas and Nasri. You cannot convince people you are ambitious after that.”
To say such a thing, the manager must have strongly fancied his chances of keeping the pair.
Why else would he risk labelling the club as unambitious? But label it he did when Fabregas subsequently joined Barcelona and Nasri left for Manchester City.
Before that happened, however, a chance still existed to at least soften the blow. When it became clear the two players were off, when the club was rightfully bargaining hard to get the best deals, Wenger should have made provisions by bringing in quality replacements.
Instead, he delayed and was eventually forced into panic buying at the very last minute, hence the imperfect solution of signing Yossi Benayoun.
-----

Losing his eye for a player
On the subject of quality, Wenger’s reputation gets damaged when he is seen to persist with sub-standard players.
Think back to how long Philippe Senderos stayed around when it had been clear for some time he wasn’t quite good enough.
The same was true of Nicklas Bendtner, and maybe Johan Djourou now. Yet Wenger keeps faith in a way other managers might not.
How many more chances will Andrei Arshavin get? Park Chu-Young is different in that he was fortunate to win a contract in the first place.
One lad I know, who played with the South Korean at Monaco, could not quite believe that Wenger actually rated the striker, so average had he been in France.
So having been enthralled by Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira et al, the supporters revolt when mediocrity turns up.
-----

Refusing to spend big
If one thing frustrates Arsenal fans more than anything else it is Wenger’s reluctance to go the extra mile when pursuing a transfer target.
The Frenchman seems fixated with buying at the right price, rather than paying a little more to tie up the deal and secure players who can make a real difference.
Gary Cahill looked in that category when Wenger made a bid last summer. Bolton wanted more money and negotiations fizzled out, all for the sake, it seemed, of a few million pounds. At 26, Cahill is reaching his prime.
He might even become an England regular over the next few years, meaning he would still have a good resale value in, say, four years’ time.
But Wenger backed away, before eventually signing Per Mertesacker at the eleventh hour.
The big German, as yet, has not justified that faith.
-----

Tactical naivety
Wenger has never been a tactician. His gifts always lay elsewhere, like earmarking talent and giving it the platform to shine in an open, attacking style.
Nevertheless, there are times when the need for caution should not be ignored and never was that more true than when Arsenal travelled to Old Trafford in August with a very weak team.
Several injuries and Gervinho’s suspension forced Wenger into fielding a vulnerable-looking side. Under the circumstances, then, you could have forgiven the manager for trying to keep things tight by sitting back and being hard to break down.
But no. The visitors tried to play their normal expansive game and got thrashed 8-2. It is difficult to forget humiliations like that, especially when it could have been avoided with a different game-plan.
-----

The Carling Cup disaster
Last year’s Carling Cup final must still rankle with Wenger, the way his team threw away a great chance to end the trophy famine.
On that February afternoon, it was Birmingham’s impressive veterans who ended up celebrating following a disastrous mix-up between defender and goalkeeper.
Some might say it was only the Carling Cup but that trophy would have lifted some pressure off manager and players and perhaps changed the atmosphere at the Emirates.
Instead, the fans trooped away from Wembley wondering how on earth their team had managed to blow it. Even worse, those players couldn’t recover. A worrying mental frailty saw their season implode.
More worrying still, Wenger was powerless to prevent the collapse, prompting a swell of doubt that is beginning to grow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9034044/Alan-Smith-the-five-reasons-why-Arsene-Wenger-is-starting-to-lose-his-grip-at-Arsenal.html

Good read Smith talks sense.

Cripps_orig
24-01-2012, 11:52 AM
One lad I know, who played with the South Korean at Monaco, could not quite believe that Wenger actually rated the striker, so average had he been in France.

Wenger :doh:

Park :doh:

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Okay then smart arse, are shirt sales up or down in Korea?

Olivier's xmas twist
24-01-2012, 12:52 PM

yeah because wenger bought him to play.

all he is was a marketing tool nothing else.

Coney
24-01-2012, 12:53 PM

"One lad I know" - this has a lot of credibility then? :unsure:

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2012, 01:01 PM
"One lad I know" - this has a lot of credibility then? :unsure:

Watertight.

Cripps_orig
24-01-2012, 01:40 PM
"One lad I know" - this has a lot of credibility then? :unsure: Tbf i dont know anyone who played at Monaco with Park but even i could tell you he was average

Cripps_orig
24-01-2012, 01:44 PM
LIKE all fans, Arsenal supporters like a good grumble.

But they are actually extremely tolerant and patient, particularly when you compare them to regulars at many other Premier League clubs.

Arsene Wenger was booed by a massive number of supporters in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United due to his decision to replace the excellent Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain with Andrey Arshavin.

The intensity of the jeering may have been a surprise to some but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

What with six seasons without a trophy, expensive season tickets and the fact this team is nowhere near the top of the league.

Defeats to Fulham and Swansea were bad enough yet against United, here was a young kid with bags of talent having a great game getting taken off. The fact United ended up winning — with fingers pointing at Arshavin for the goal — made matters worse.

Wenger had his reasons for replacing Oxlade-Chamberlain but you have to look at the wider issue and that Arsenal now face a major struggle to make the Champions League.

It is maybe understandable that over time, Arsenal fans — like United and Chelsea ones — have got used to finishing in the top four.

I still feel Chelsea could be caught. However, there is a realisation among the fans that their side could face some trips to random towns on the continent in next season's Europa League.

And Tottenham's success this term has made things more painful. If they finish third or even fourth, they will celebrate and claim the campaign has been a major success, while Arsenal have been finishing in these spots — and higher — for years.

Yet the fact Spurs are still 10 points ahead of Arsenal proves Wenger needs to make some major improvements while there are maybe a couple of players who need to be moved on. The jeering was a case of the locals making a big point to their manager.

These actions were totally understandable and sometimes it's not a bad thing for fans to voice their disapproval providing it's a one-off.

Also, I could see why Robin van Persie was frustrated with the substitution as there is so much pressure on him to score and the skipper recognises Oxlade- Chamberlain is a help for him.

But it's important for the negativity to end right now. And I'm confident Arsenal's fans will get behind the team and not turn on Wenger.

I know some people are tearing their hair out after Wenger hinted he is unlikely to spend in the transfer window. But even though the team needs strengthening — that's clear for anyone to see — rushing out next week and making some rash signing would not be the answer.

This happened on August 31 last year and I'm not sure whether Arsenal really benefited.

Mikel Arteta has done OK — while the jury is out on Per Mertesacker and Yossi Benayoun has not really been given a chance.

So I wouldn't say they have all been amazing successes. Arsenal have been hit badly by injuries and having four full-backs crocked is crazy.

But Jack Wilshere is coming back, among others, while I like the central defensive partnership of Thomas Vermaelen and Laurent Koscielny, who is turning into a Nemanja Vidic-type player at the back.

Arsenal are on a bad run in the league and it certainly isn't good enough. But as they have already proved this season, they are just as likely to go on a really good run and still have a major chance in the FA Cup — Sunday's home game with Aston Villa is massive.

Also, it's easy to forget Arsenal still have a huge tie against AC Milan in the Champions League and both Manchester United and Manchester City would certainly be happy to swap places.

Oxlade-Chamberlain will continue to develop over the next few months.

He proved against United he is capable of causing major damage against the big teams, so he will be a terrific asset.

I accept why Arsenal fans wanted him to stay on against United and the lad will look back on his performance with a great deal of pride.

The booing of Wenger's decision will not affect him — he'll see it as a positive as it proved the fans love him.

Yet it is also important for Oxlade-Chamberlain not to be weighed down with expectancy and this is where Wenger comes in.

He needs to get the best out of his team and not just rely on one or two players. And most importantly of all, despite that moment of raw emotion on Sunday, Wenger needs to know that all the fans are behind him and the team.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4080577/Wrighty-Arsenal-need-big-surgery.html

Cripps_orig
26-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Stewart Robson has claimed that if Arsene Wenger’s relationship with Arsenal fans continues to deteriorate it could end up costing him his job.
Wenger, who has been in charge of the north London side since 1996, is enduring his toughest period as the club’s manager, with a fight on his hands just to finish in the top four of the Premier League this season.
The Frenchman has come under fire for some of his decisions in leading Arsenal to this point, with the substitution of Alex Oxlade-chamberlain during the 2-1 defeat to Man United at the weekend leading some supporters to vocally vent their anger and question Wenger's stewardship.
And Robson reckons that supporters’ unhappiness about the club’s direction may lead to a parting of ways with Wenger.
He told talkSPORT: “Ivan Gazidis said at the beginning of the season in one of the general meetings that we will never get rid of Arsene Wenger, he is here for life, although if the relationship with the supporters becomes so bad we might have to look at it again.
“Well I think the relationship with supporters is getting worse. Their reaction to the [Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain] substitution wasn’t just about that, it was because they are unhappy with how the season has gone so far.
“They’re very frustrated that Arsenal aren’t going to challenge for the league title this year and that substitution was the culmination of a lot of anger that has been vented towards Arsene Wenger in recent weeks.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1487/79/exclusive-robson-wengers-relationship-arsenal-fans-could-cost-him-his-job

That is the dream

Xhaka Can’t
26-01-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1487/79/exclusive-robson-wengers-relationship-arsenal-fans-could-cost-him-his-job

That is the dream

Really?

I'd have thought an Arsenal fan would dream of better things than sacking Wenger.

Like things turning round and Wenger winning the League.

It is unlikely to happen, but seeing as we're dreaming, I'll dream of success rather than the sacking of a man who bleeds red and white for the Club.

Cripps_orig
31-01-2012, 02:00 AM
JOSE MOURINHO has helped Real Madrid move seven points clear of Barcelona in La Liga.

It will be a truly astonishing achievement if he adds a Spanish league title to his collection of championships from Portugal, England and Italy.

Yet it also seems that Mourinho will be leaving the Bernabeu this summer, whether he resigns or ends up being sacked.

I would love to see Mourinho back in the Premier League — and I think he will be next season.

He is a fantastic character and great value for both supporters and the media.

But I hope he does NOT turn up at Arsenal.

There is talk of a job swap with Arsene Wenger and I am sure many Real fans would love to see the Frenchman take charge of their club.

He would certainly change the current playing style imposed by Mourinho. It is certainly effective. Yet while Real may be racking up both points and goals, they are still not winning any friends.

Against Barca last week, Mourinho's team — not for the first time — seemed happy to kick lumps out of the opposition and it certainly was not pretty.

Mourinho has brilliant tactical ability but also a nose for an argument.

He always seems to be in conflict with his players, opposing managers, fans or the board. The Premier League is where he is happiest. Perhaps over here, the fans understand what he is all about.

But I just do not think he would be suited at Arsenal, who have a history of doing things the right way.

I cannot imagine any Gunners manager celebrating a goal by sliding on his knees in the Emirates technical area.

Equally, I do not think Mourinho will ever get the chance of managing Manchester United for much the same reasons as why he will not manage Arsenal.

It would not surprise me, though, if Tottenham, who could lose Harry Redknapp to the England job, make an attempt to lure him to White Hart Lane.

Also if Roberto Mancini suffers a nightmare with Manchester City and wins nothing this season, they, too, could come in for the self-styled 'Special One'.

Providing he is given money, Mourinho could be a massive success at either club.

I think Spurs and City fans would tolerate Mourinho's style of football — and behaviour — if the end product was the Premier League title.

Chelsea fans, I am sure, would take him back immediately.

Yet there is no way that Roman Abramovich would ever have him return, no matter what Andre Villas-Boas does this term.

Obviously, United and Arsenal would love to win the championship. But not at any cost.

They want to see trophies, yet also football played in a certain way.

People often ask me what I would prefer, good football or trophies. Of course, I want both. But first a team needs to play a decent style.

Despite my frustrations with the current situation at Arsenal, and the fact the club has not spent anywhere near enough money on top-quality new signings, I still want to see Wenger remain at the club.

He is the best thing ever to have happened there, along with Dennis Bergkamp. Next up come players like Thierry Henry.

I have no doubt Wenger would go to Spain and do an amazing job. He has had the opportunity before and turned it down and I am sure he would once again snub Real if the offer came.

Wenger has certainly enjoyed some spats with Mourinho down the years and I feel convinced that they will be locking horns with each other again very soon.

Mourinho may win both the La Liga title and Champions League with Real this season.

But that volatile relationship is still heading for a divorce.

Meanwhile, there are some key Premier League matches this week which could give another indication as to how the title race will pan out.

I am sure Manchester United will win at home to Stoke tonight and I do not think Spurs will have too many problems with Wigan at White Hart Lane.

But I believe Manchester City face a tough test at Everton this evening and a draw could make the title race that bit more exciting.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/4097701/Ian-Wright-column-It-would-be-so-wrong-if-Jose-Mourinho-replaced-Arsene-Wenger.html

Wright speaking shit as usual

Needs to STFU

Apart from the Bergkamp bit :bow:

fakeyank
31-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Really?

I'd have thought an Arsenal fan would dream of better things than sacking Wenger.

Like things turning round and Wenger winning the League.

It is unlikely to happen, but seeing as we're dreaming, I'll dream of success rather than the sacking of a man who bleeds red and white for the Club.

I dreamt that AW won us the title or some sort of silverware but now I dream of him being sacked. He can bleed red and white but so can I and many on here and around the world. That does not mean we put anyone in charge or not replace someone who is not taking us to the levels we should be in.

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
John Hartson has admitted he sympathises with Arsenal fans planning to protest at the game against Blackburn.
Gunners’ fans intend to cover empty seats with bin liners to show their unhappiness at a return of just one point in four Premier League games and a lack of activity in the January transfer window.
And Hartson has backed them, criticising Arsene Wenger’s unwillingness to strengthen a squad which has slipped to seventh in the league table, and is struggling to qualify for the top four.

I’m absolutely sure there is money to spend, I don’t know what Arsene Wenger is thinking sometimes in not wanting to spend the money.

John Hartson
“Arsenal fans watching every single week must be feeling very despondent at the lack of money spent,” Hartson told talkSPORT, “Even if they brought in one player, just to appease the supporters.
“There must be players out there that Arsene Wenger fancies. A club like Arsenal should be strengthening at every opportunity.
“They need players, as a squad they can’t go and say they are as strong as other squads out there. If you look at Spurs, or even Everton and Newcastle who have spent money [in January].
“Arsenal really do need to be spending. I’m absolutely sure there is money to spend, I don’t know what Arsene Wenger is thinking sometimes in not wanting to spend the money.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1519/53/exclusive-%E2%80%93-hartson-%E2%80%98arsenal-should-be-strengthening-every-opportunity%E2%80%99

Before the Blackburn match this was and its spot on

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't give a fuck about 'spending money'. I'd like the team strengthened. Now while I accept punters trotting out that line, I expect more from people paid to offer an opinion as Hartson was in this case. Why pay Hartson for an opinion that is limited to repeating a number of times that money should be spent.

Hartson is presumably an expert, otherwise he wouldn't be asked, so rather than trotting out some line any punter can and has been stating, what is his opinion on where in the team it should be spent? On who? When and where it could have been done?

John, say something that takes some fucking thought, or stfu.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't give a fuck about 'spending money'. I'd like the team strengthened. Now while I accept punters trotting out that line, I expect more from people paid to offer an opinion as Hartson was in this case. Why pay Hartson for an opinion that is limited to repeating a number of times that money should be spent.

Hartson is presumably an expert, otherwise he wouldn't be asked, so rather than trotting out some line any punter can and has been stating, what is his opinion on where in the team it should be spent? On who? When and where it could have been done?

John, say something that takes some fucking thought, or stfu.

:lol:

Marc Overmars
05-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Angry Gary scares me.

Ollie the Optimist
05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1519/53/exclusive-%E2%80%93-hartson-%E2%80%98arsenal-should-be-strengthening-every-opportunity%E2%80%99

Before the Blackburn match this was and its spot on

hartson said that he was sure there was money to spend yet nigel witerburn said this week taht he knew for a fact there was no money. not sure who to believe but winterburn was adament there is no money and the board are lying to us

GP
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Am I the only one who couldn't give a flying fuck what former players have to say?

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 09:36 PM
hartson said that he was sure there was money to spend yet nigel witerburn said this week taht he knew for a fact there was no money. not sure who to believe but winterburn was adament there is no money and the board are lying to usWe just got £50m last summer from the sale of 2 players alone.

The board also said there was money available

Syn
05-02-2012, 09:37 PM
hartson said that he was sure there was money to spend yet nigel witerburn said this week taht he knew for a fact there was no money. not sure who to believe but winterburn was adament there is no money and the board are lying to us

So you're saying there are two opposing views - one where money is being made available to spend but Wenger isn't spending, and another where the board aren't making money available?

That's interesting. I'm sure everyone would like to know eachother's opinion on this. Lets have a mass-debate over it.

I'll start: Wenger is a ****.

Syn
05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Am I the only one who couldn't give a flying fuck what former players have to say?

Depends on who it is. For the large part, no, because people like Ian Wright, Merson and many others don't have anything interesting to say.

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Tbf Wright has been spot on with most of what hes said.

People just dont think it cos he acts an idiot on tv :rolleyes:

Syn
05-02-2012, 09:43 PM

I didn't say he wasn't spot on. I said he wasn't interesting. Being spot on doesn't equate to being interesting.

I went for a shit 5 minutes ago.

There - I'm spot on with what I said. Is it interesting?

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Very very very occasionally, Wright makes a fairly decent point, but I'm sure that is more by accident than design. Keep on talking and talking and talking and in amongst all that shite, he is bound to say something of relevance.

A bit like here, on GW. Every once and awhile, you'll make a good post.

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I didn't say he wasn't spot on. I said he wasn't interesting. Being spot on doesn't equate to being interesting.

There - I'm spot on with what I said. Is it interesting?

Depends on what you ate last night.

Letters
05-02-2012, 09:49 PM

He's not acting.

Olivier's xmas twist
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
We just got £50m last summer from the sale of 2 players alone.

The board also said there was money available

The board say alot of things but so does wenger lol, Its one of them things that we will probs never know the truth.

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Very very very occasionally, Wright makes a fairly decent point, but I'm sure that is more by accident than design. Keep on talking and talking and talking and in amongst all that shite, he is bound to say something of relevance.

A bit like here, on GW. Every once and awhile, you'll make a good post.Well from all the articles that ive posted of his, hes been pretty much right in all of them. Not sure why you dont agree with him. Maybe it goes against the "Wenger is God" stance you have.

Oh well

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM

There - I'm spot on with what I said. Is it interesting?Well it is interesting but with all due respect, the things you find interesting such as Test cricket pretty much puts what you think as interesting at a laughable level

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
He's not acting.Fair enough. Havent seen him on tv tbh since he quit the BBC.

Fuck knows what hes on now but he does write great articles tbh bar the last one i put on here

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Well from all the articles that ive posted of his, hes been pretty much right in all of them. Not sure why you dont agree with him. Maybe it goes against the "Wenger is God" stance you have.

Oh well

Yeah, I have been calling for God to be sacked for nearly two years now.

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Fair enough. Havent seen him on tv tbh since he quit the BBC.

Fuck knows what hes on now but he does write great articles tbh bar the last one i put on here

You do realise he doesn't write them? (I did consider a pun there).

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
You do realise he doesn't write them? (I did consider a pun there).Yes

Olivier's xmas twist
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Fair enough. Havent seen him on tv tbh since he quit the BBC.

The guy was on channel 5 with Melinda messenger and she had to leave cause he was such a knob, only for him to get sack a few weeks later.

Xhaka Can’t
05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
The guy was on channel 5 with Melinda messenger and she had to leave cause he was such a knob, only for him to get sack a few weeks later.

I'm not sure that being considered a knob by Melinda Messenger is an entirely bad thing.

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
The guy was on channel 5 with Melinda messenger and she had to leave cause he was such a knob, only for him to get sack a few weeks later.Never watched it so dont give a fuck tbh

All i know is hes an Arsenal legend and thats good enough for me and what he says about the club he clearly still loves is worth listening to.

Ollie the Optimist
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Never watched it so dont give a fuck tbh

All i know is hes an Arsenal legend and thats good enough for me and what he says about the club he clearly still loves is worth listening to.

using that logic, whatever wenger says is good enough for you too. he clearly loves the club, is a legend so you cant complain about him

Cripps_orig
05-02-2012, 10:41 PM
using that logic, whatever wenger says is good enough for you too. he clearly loves the club, is a legend so you cant complain about himWell its not clear is it if hes happy with us being a laughing stock

Cripps_orig
07-02-2012, 12:07 AM
http://www.insidefutbol.com/2012/02/06/lyon-boss-remi-garde-backs-arsene-wenger-as-potential-laurent-blanc-successor/57743/

Cant copy and paste the article for some reason but Garde speaks sense

Japan Shaking All Over
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
TBF and this is not a subtle attempt at showing him the door, few would argue against AW tryimg his hand at international management, akthough having not won the CL will grate somewhat. . .

Seeing Wenger leave (for all its supposed positives) worries as to who would replace him! and for those who desire his apparent (death), its not as easy as saying 'anyone would be better'. . .think long and hard haters

Olivier's xmas twist
07-02-2012, 01:15 AM
http://www.insidefutbol.com/2012/02/06/lyon-boss-remi-garde-backs-arsene-wenger-as-potential-laurent-blanc-successor/57743/

Cant copy and paste the article for some reason but Garde speaks sense

Speaks sense because you want Wenger gone, not that you agree he'd suit international footie.

TBF and this is not a subtle attempt at showing him the door, few would argue against AW tryimg his hand at international management, akthough having not won the CL will grate somewhat. . .

Seeing Wenger leave (for all its supposed positives) worries as to who would replace him! and for those who desire his apparent (death), its not as easy as saying 'anyone would be better'. . .think long and hard haters

This.

Cripps_orig
07-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Speaks sense because you want Wenger gone, not that you agree he'd suit international footie. Couldnt care less if he suited it or not. As long as hes out of here.

If he does suit it then all the better as it makes it more likely he will go.

LDG
15-02-2012, 09:40 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9082469/Arsenal-are-predictable-weak-and-lacking-a-winning-mentality-says-Dennis-Bergkamp-ahead-of-Milan-clash.html

Arsenal are predictable, weak and lacking a winning mentality, says Dennis Bergkamp, ahead of Milan clash

What he says, is correct, in a way....but the headline is as out of place as a fart in a spacesuit.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Hope that wasn't Smudger's headline. :lol:

LDG
15-02-2012, 12:30 PM
http://news.arseblog.com/2012/02/deconstructing-dennis-analysis-of-db10s-take-on-arsenal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Cracking analysis from Arseblog here, btw, on Dennis' comments.

I tend to agree.

Furthermore, it's nice to see such comments from Dennis. I can't help but feel he'll make a great manager sooner or later.

Coney
15-02-2012, 12:42 PM
a fart in a spacesuit.

I have never understood why the expression is "as popular as a fart in a spacesuit". The smell of your own farts is fine - it's the smell of other people's farts. Should be "as popular as a fart in a space capsule".

Syn
15-02-2012, 12:50 PM
http://news.arseblog.com/2012/02/deconstructing-dennis-analysis-of-db10s-take-on-arsenal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Cracking analysis from Arseblog here, btw, on Dennis' comments.

I tend to agree.

Furthermore, it's nice to see such comments from Dennis. I can't help but feel he'll make a great manager sooner or later.

The second point on mentality is harder to quantify. How do you define English mentality? Dennis was privileged to play alongside one of the greatest defences that football has ever seen. The players were English, but their confidence and determination was drawn from a belief in each other…not necessarily their nationality. I think it would be hard to suggest that Vermaelen, Sagna, Koscielny and Szczesny don’t have the desire and heart to win big games…

Thankfully a non-English-English person has said it. If Ian Wright had said it there would be an outcry of 'xenophobic commentary'. Dennis might not be English-English but he is English. pen bottling class avec un extra slice of petulance. Arseblogger talks about Wilshere, Van Persie and Vermaelen as our only players who'd step up in face of adversity. I would remove Vermaelen from that list because I haven't seen him do it yet even though he's capable. I'll tell you another one - Carl Jenkinson. Untalented, garbage, spongebob-filth of a player. Play him against Barcelona and he's less likely to get skinned than Sagna. Guaranteed. Ghels imo.

GP
15-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I have never understood why the expression is "as popular as a fart in a spacesuit". The smell of your own farts is fine - it's the smell of other people's farts. Should be "as popular as a fart in a space capsule".

Cool story bro

Ollie the Optimist
15-02-2012, 12:58 PM
anyone see adesawhore on twitter last night? was abusing arsenal fans, even abused RVP saying he was a no one yet he was great for us when he was here and claiming all sorts of crap about how he is a legend everywhere he goes and arsenal fans dont like him because he moved on to win stuff but he could never do it with us as the fans were crap.

then he claimed he lost his blackberry and was someone else :lol:

GP
15-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Not really sure if anyone cares when he said.

I know I don't.

Syn
15-02-2012, 01:04 PM
anyone see adesawhore on twitter last night? was abusing arsenal fans, even abused RVP saying he was a no one yet he was great for us when he was here and claiming all sorts of crap about how he is a legend everywhere he goes and arsenal fans dont like him because he moved on to win stuff but he could never do it with us as the fans were crap.

then he claimed he lost his blackberry and was someone else :lol:

Wasn't exactly unprovoked because he was getting racist abuse, but yeah - it was pretty stupid of him. The amount of times where he was bragging about money was ridiculous.

I initially thought his account must've been hacked but if he claimed he lost his blackberry and someone else did it - that's almost as weak an excuse as John Terry saying "I said it, but I said 'I didn't call you a fucking black ****'".

Cripps_orig
15-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Probably Charlies cousin

Syn
16-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Petit in the Independent.

"I asked myself what has become of the team that I knew. It's worse than I thought, they haven't recovered from the departures of (Cesc) Fabregas (to Barcelona) and (Samir) Nasri (to Manchester City)," Petit told www.sofoot.com.

"It's a gulf which is confirmed weekend after weekend.

"And what is perhaps the most worrying thing is the club won't do anything this summer to reverse the trend.

"They don't want to go back to overspending in the transfer market, and I think they're right. But for two seasons, the level of the team has only gone down."The Gunners went down 4-0 at the San Siro in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie in a performance branded "shocking" by manager Arsene Wenger.

Petit added: "The problem is that previously the club compensated for its lack of physical strength with Fabregas. With him, Arsenal were the most attractive team to watch in Europe behind Barcelona.

"There, in midfield, there isn't anything now, the defence is constantly under construction. It's fortunate that (Robin) van Persie is up front.

"Certain young players haven't done enough to justify the confidence that Arsene has in them. Walcott - somehow he's going to have to reach the next stage. It's been years that he's been at the same level.

"(Aaron) Ramsey, against Milan, I got the impression it was his (twin) brother on the pitch. In the way they behave, in their body language, we see they're not there anymore.

"We shouldn't hesitate to talk about the end of the cycle. Regardless of age, we have to look seriously at certain players. Right now.

"You have to send out a strong signal. You have to say to Arshavin, and to Rosicky: 'Gentlemen, thank you, but goodbye'. And soon."

Petit also cast doubt on whether Lille's Eden Hazard would be a suitable signing, claiming the club need more experienced players.

"I like him a lot but what has he done at a high level?" Petit said. "Has he been good in the Champions League? We haven't seen him. Has he been good for Belgium? He's sometimes even a substitute.

"What's needed is five or six players of real stature, great experience. Players who are 27 - 30 years old at most.

"Players with technical qualities, obviously, but also strong character. A group of guys who refuse to accept defeat, who inspire confidence in the rest of the team."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-must-tell-andrei-arshavin-and-tomas-rosicky-thank-you-but-goodbye-says-emmanuel-petit-6988623.html?

Sure it's another ex-player stating the obvious...but Petit doesn't sugar-coat it and singles out the same players we are. The British players that the media are generally scared to criticise - Ramsey and Walcott.

Olivier's xmas twist
16-02-2012, 05:49 PM
He's spot on tbh

milla
16-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Petit in the Independent.

Sure it's another ex-player stating the obvious...but Petit doesn't sugar-coat it and singles out the same players we are. The British players that the media are generally scared to criticise - Ramsey and Walcott.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Nothing new, Brits players are the worst culprit IMO. Rosicky and Arshavin do not play week in and week out, Ramsey and Walcott do. In fact, The former are better players but forced to do what they are not capable of (ie play in wider or deeper role etc).

Grebbo
16-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Petit for manager.

Cripps_orig
16-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Petit is spot on but pretty much says the same thing that is posted on this thread over the 22 pages

Cripps_orig
20-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Former Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Petit believes Arsene Wenger has reached his lowest point at the club.

The Gunners were eliminated from the FA Cup on Saturday, losing 2-0 away to Sunderland, whilst they look to be out of the Champions League having lost 4-0 in the first leg of their tie with AC Milan.

They are also 17 points below Premier League leaders Manchester City in fourth place and look set to finish without a trophy for the seventh successive season - their last win coming in the 2005 FA Cup.

However, although former Gunner Petit believes Wenger is currently at a low ebb, he insists that the players should take some responsibility.

He told BBC: "This is the worst moment of Arsene's career with Arsenal.”

“The players have to look in the mirror, be honest and ask questions of themselves.

“They are playing like they don't know what's going on, they don't know what to do on the pitch. Mentally, they are very weak.”

Arsenal were defeated at the last minute in the 2011 League Cup by Birmingham City, and Petit recalled that loss as the moment when their problems intensified.

He added: "Birmingham was the crucial point. From then on, the players started to lose confidence in the policy at Arsenal.

"Arsene built success based on experienced players and big characters. All of a sudden he decided to completely change it, put confidence in young players.

"For five years they were close to winning something but they didn't and that's why they have to change the policy.

"They have to bring in more experience and big characters. They need leaders. But you cannot sign big players if you are not in the Champions League."

The Frenchman also spoke of the destabilising effect of the summer sales of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri to Barcelona and Manchester City respectively.

He continued: "How they managed that was terrible. Nothing was controlled. Everything was done so quickly without thinking.

"Every year they're selling their best players. Arsenal are not a football academy - they're one of the biggest clubs in Europe and need to get back to that level.

"They have to spend money to get the big names, and they must also ask some players to leave."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/20/2917415/this-is-the-worst-moment-of-arsene-wengers-career-with

Syn
20-02-2012, 02:23 PM
In that same interview, Petit also said:

But the former Gunner believes it would be the "biggest mistake" to sack Wenger who he says is "still the solution".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17088995

Cripps_orig
20-02-2012, 02:30 PM
GEORGE GRAHAM has delivered a devastating verdict on Arsene Wenger's Arse-nil flops.
The Gunners legend piled into Wenger with a blistering assessment of the crisis gripping the Emirates.Graham, 67, who won the Double with Arsenal as a player in 1971 and bossed them to two league titles in 1989 and 1991, pulled no punches as he:
Blasted Wenger for buying flops, saying a summer clear-out is a must.
Insisted the board have doubts about the French boss after what will be their seventh season without winning a trophy.
Declared that star striker Robin van Persie will leave and Gunners should get rid of Theo Walcott as the England winger has not fulfilled his potential.Graham said: "Yes, Arsenal are in crisis. It has been slipping away for the last couple of years."They've not been replacing those players who left four or five years ago."They're lacking leaders and the quality of the players they're bringing in is just not up to the standard if you want to win the Premier League."Arsenal crashed out of the FA Cup 2-0 at Sunderland on Saturday — three days after they were humiliated 4-0 at Milan in the Champions League.They are currently fourth in the Premier League but a massive 17 points behind leaders Manchester City and 10 adrift of bitter rivals Tottenham, who are third.And Graham admits Arsenal's board must have concerns about the Frenchman turning things around.He added: "Arsene's not won anything now for the last six years so there would be doubt in there. They've got money and I can't understand why Arsene has not gone out and bought some real quality players."But he has a fantastic reputation and I don't think the board will forget what he has done."I think he will still be there next season but he badly needs to refresh the playing side of the club. He needs to keep bringing youngsters through but he must buy quality, experienced players to win trophies."Van Persie is out of contract in June 2013 and has delayed talks over a new deal until the end of this season. But Graham believes the Dutch striker will go — and says Walcott should be shipped out too.He added: "Some players at Chelsea and Manchester City are earning £175,000 a week or more."For Van Persie, this will be his last big contract. He'll be 29 when his contract finishes and he's going to be looking for a four-year contract, maybe even five. You can't expect Arsenal to pay that knowing that in his last two years he probably won't be a regular in the team."I would let Walcott go. He was a promising boy but his potential has never really been fulfilled. He has still got fabulous pace but he's been there five years and I can't see a great improvement."Arsenal face another daunting match in Sunday's North London derby at the Emirates. And Graham warned: "They're playing Tottenham next week. Believe me if they lose that one, the fans will be upset."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4139751/George-Graham-in-blast-at-Arsene-Wenger.html

F (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4139751/George-Graham-in-blast-at-Arsene-Wenger.html)ans already are :good:

And the non idiotic ones will remain so regardless of the result next sunday

Letters
20-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Agree with his comments about Theo.

Cripps_orig
20-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I agree on all of his comments

Olivier's xmas twist
20-02-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4139751/George-Graham-in-blast-at-Arsene-Wenger.html

F (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4139751/George-Graham-in-blast-at-Arsene-Wenger.html)ans already are :good:

No Arsenal fan will thing are problems are over if we beat spurs, but if we beat our rivals why should they not be happy.

Letters
20-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I agree on all of his comments

You've been sucking Theo's cock all season, disagreeing with anyone who has criticised him, and now you agree with Graham when he says he should be shipped out and, he's not fulfilling his potential and he's not improved in 5 years?

OK :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
20-02-2012, 03:05 PM
You've been sucking Theo's cock all season, disagreeing with anyone who has criticised him, and now you agree with Graham when he says he should be shipped out and, he's not fulfilling his potential and he's not improved in 5 years?

OK :lol:

You do know who your reply too?

Letters
20-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I know. Just thought I'd highlight it though. :d

Cripps_orig
20-02-2012, 03:17 PM

OK :lol:Wouldnt care less if any of our players/manager/board were shipped out. That includes Theo

Unlike you and others, i dont have favourites. I support Arsenal and not individual players

Letters
20-02-2012, 03:18 PM
:lol:

:console:

Cripps_orig
20-02-2012, 07:43 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17095044

If you want to hear it instead

Ollie the Optimist
21-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Samir Nasri admits that he has at times found it hard to live up to his price tag since moving to Manchester City.
But, six months on, the Frenchman is adamant he made the right move, with City still top of the league.
And he believes his old club Arsenal are currently faltering because they do not know how to "win ugly".
"Sometimes it's good to win ugly," Nasri said. "Arsenal are proof of that. They play good football but, after seven years, they don't win."
Arsene Wenger's side have lost five of their last 10 matches, leaving them 17 points behind Premier League leaders City.
They trail AC Milan 4-0 after the first leg of their last-16 Champions League tie - having not won a trophy since the FA Cup in 2005.
Nasri in numbers
£15.8m - The fee Arsenal paid to Marseille
£24m - The fee Manchester City paid for his services
18 - The number of Premier League goals he scored for Arsenal
4 - How many goals he has so far for City
31 - His number of appearances in all competitions this season
Wenger has come in for criticism in the past week with former Arsenal and France World Cup-winning midfielder Emmanuel Petit saying this was "the worst moment of Arsene's career with Arsenal".
Former Gunners manager George Graham has also said the club is failing because Wenger has not bought "quality" players.
But Nasri is hopeful that they will get it right in north London.
"I don't want Arsenal to fall down," he said. "I have respect for the players and the manager.
"They have a good philosophy. I know they will find some solution."
Since moving to Manchester in the summer, for £24m, Nasri has started 25 matches for City and believes he is now starting to show the form that earned his big-money move.
"It's always tough when you change," he said. "When you go to another team and have to be involved 100% and I wasn't.
"Now I start to be settled and you will see a better Samir every week.
"I never asked City to pay £24m so it's not me.
"What you want to do is to give something to the team and the people who bring you here and trust you."

the judas money grabbing **** has decided to tell us how to win. this makes me laugh, what did this **** ever do to help us win? disappeared in a major final when we needed him, was good for 4 months and now thinks cos his city team are winning he knows how too even though he just sits on the bench.

the stupid judas ****

Olivier's xmas twist
21-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't want Arsenal to fall down," he said. "I have respect for the players and the manager.

Interesting

Cripps_orig
21-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Nasri :bow:

Özil's Panoramic View
23-02-2012, 03:35 AM
WTF does Nasri know about "ugly wins".....when has he ever etched one for us?

sure shiteh is currently top the league tables now and will probably win the title but it won't because of that little whore's contribution - not when all he's doing is hogging up all the bench

Coney
23-02-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't want Arsenal to fall down," he said. "I have respect for the players and the manager.

Interesting

Shame he didn't have respect for the fans or the club.

Cripps_orig
23-02-2012, 04:09 PM
On the face of it, there is no reason why Tottenham's trip to Arsenal on Sunday should carry more significance than previous north London derbies.
Two fierce local rivals, three keenly contested Premier League points and one much-coveted set of bragging rights - so far, so familiar.
But scratch beneath the surface and an entirely different picture emerges.
"This is the most important derby in Arsene Wenger's 16 years as Arsenal manager," former Gunners right-back Lee Dixon tells BBC Sport.
"It comes at a very poignant time in the club's history."
2011-12 Premier League
Arsenal's average of 1.7 points per game is their lowest under Wenger
Tottenham's 2.1 points per game is their highest since Wenger arrived
Out of contention for every domestic trophy and facing likely Champions League elimination, Arsenal are staring at a seventh consecutive trophy-less season.
Defeat by Tottenham, who have never finished above their neighbours during Wenger's tenure, would leave the Gunners 13 points behind third-placed Spurs in the Premier League with 12 games remaining.
Unless Arsenal then won a probable four-way scrap with Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool for fourth place, their 15-year run in the Champions League would be over.
"If they don't get Champions League football next season it's going to be a nightmare," says ex-Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Petit.
"To get back to where they were, Arsenal need to sign big players in the summer and you can't do that if you don't play Champions League."
Following devastating defeats by Sunderland and AC Milan in their last two matches, Arsenal will be desperate to reignite their season against Spurs.
It is a league fixture that Wenger lost only once in his first 14 years at the club, but all evidence suggests the tide is turning.
North London derby

Arsenal have been higher-placed in the table before 28 of the 32 derbies since Wenger arrived
On average, Arsenal have had 10.62 points more than Spurs going into derby games
Arsenal have won just one of their last seven top-flight meetings and go into the game below Tottenham in the table for only the fourth time in Wenger's 32 derbies.
"Spurs are a better team than Arsenal," Petit admits, while Dixon adds: "There has definitely been a gradual shift of power over the last few seasons."
Football analyst and author Alex Fynn wrote a book in 2000 entitled The Great Divide, which sought to explain Arsenal's dominance over Tottenham.
"Certainly there is no great divide now," says Fynn. "If anything, it may be role reversal."
This has not gone down well with the crowd at Emirates Stadium, where rumblings of discontent have been audible for some time.
Tim Payton, spokesman for the Arsenal Supporters Trust (AST), describes it a "a culture shock, a wake-up call for Arsenal fans who have been used to enjoying St Totteringham's Day".
That is the name Arsenal followers jokingly give to the date each season when Spurs cannot mathematically finish above Arsenal.
Unfortunately for them, that holiday looks like it will not be celebrated in 2012 and many of those fans are questioning how it has come to this.
Continue reading the main story

There's no bigger game than the north London derby at this stage of the season with so much at stake. So roll your sleeves up and get stuck in

Lee Dixon
Ex-Arsenal defender and BBC football pundit
Wenger lifted seven trophies in his first nine years at Arsenal, but now looks set to endure the longest barren spell of any manager in the club's history.
"Wenger needed a challenge from his backroom staff and the board," Fynn argues. "This is the most significant problem he has failed to deal with.
"The other major clubs have arguably had better backroom staff and refreshed them on several occasions. Just look at Manchester United.
"Wenger has never had this and, as other clubs have moved on, Arsenal have stood still and maybe even gone backwards.
"Why has he not surrounded himself with men of quality? What on earth is [retired former Arsenal captain] Patrick Vieira doing at Manchester City?"
Fynn also blames the 2007 departure of chief executive David Dein, who remains Wenger's best friend, for Arsenal slipping behind their rivals in the transfer market.
This is one of many areas in which Tottenham have excelled since chairman Daniel Levy appointed Harry Redknapp as manager in 2008.
"Spurs were branded a team without ambition for almost a decade," Petit explains. "But in the last two years they have signed so many good players and big characters that this team seems far more competitive than Arsenal.
"All of a sudden the politics changed and they started to spend a lot of money. Big wages, bringing in many international players with big experience, big characters - mixing the likes of Rafael van der Vaart and Emmanuel Adebayor with very good players already in the team like Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon, Jermain Defoe.
"Now the quality is there and they have the mentality too. It will be very interesting to see how Arsenal react to this, especially at home. It's a massive test after what's happened during the last week."
The Redknapp effect
Arsenal have won only one of their last eight Premier League games against Harry Redknapp's Tottenham
Dixon adds: "Going into a north London derby, as fans you'll read lots of stuff. As players you put that all out of the way, you forget it, because it is ultimately about what happens on the day.
"The thing to pay more attention to is recent results and Arsenal's form is poor.
"That in itself is demoralising. But when I was at the club, if we ever had a bad series of results the next game you want to be a big one because it gets your mind focused on what's coming rather than feeling sorry for yourself.
"And there's no bigger one than the north London derby at this stage of the season with so much at stake. So roll your sleeves up and get stuck in."
The AST estimates that missing out on the Champions League could cost Arsenal £45m and that is why Payton thinks Sunday is "much more than a north London derby".
Victory would bring fresh hope but, for Arsenal and Wenger, defeat does not bear thinking about.
"That would be the third body shot in quick succession," says Fynn. "It may be the knockout blow."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17132737

Dixon and Petit and a couple of Pub Teamers on the NLD

Cripps_orig
23-02-2012, 05:13 PM
If Arsenal win the derby on Sunday the celebrations will stretch from the red half of north London to a Red Bull in Tucson.

That's where Thierry Henry will be watching after returning to the United States last week to prepare for the new MLS season with his New York team-mates.

The 34-year-old will be resting after a Desert Diamond Cup clash with the New England Revolution when Sunday's local affair kicks off in London, but this is one game the former Arsenal player - and full-time Arsenal fan - will not want to miss.

And Henry believes three points against Spurs could kick-start his old club's campaign.

"I will be in Arizona for a pre-season camp and for sure I won't be watching it with [New York team-mate] Teemu Tainio because he's a Tottenham fan!" Henry told Arsenal Player.

"For years we have been used to being on top of Tottenham, by a mile, and now it is the opposite. But this is the derby, which you don't want to lose, and we need those three points massively.

"Hopefully it will be the derby that can spark the players, the fans, everybody at Arsenal Football Club. We'll see.

"The league is going to be very difficult but the top four is in Arsenal's hands. They have the squad, there is a long way to go, they have to play Chelsea at home, Tottenham at home, Newcastle at home, Man City at home… it is not impossible."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/henry-derby-victory-can-revive-arsenal

He sounds like Wenger

Olivier's xmas twist
23-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Heny :bow:

The king rallying the troops

Cripps_orig
23-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Arsenal's record appearance holder David O'Leary believes Arsene Wenger is not to blame for a season that looks set to bring his former club no silverware for the seventh consecutive season.

The former Leeds manager, who guided the Yorkshire club to the Champions League semi-finals in 2001, believes it is in fact poor performances of the players that are responsible for providing another disappointing campaign.

O'Leary won two top division championships and four domestic cups with the Gunners during his time in north London and he urged the Frenchman to act in the transfer marker to bring success back to a club.

The 53-year-old told Press Association Sport: "Arsenal need to change about half a dozen players. I think Arsene has been let down by a group of players he had a belief in.
"That group have been failures in my eyes and now a change is needed.

"Just look at the AC Milan game last week - they were well and truly beaten but what will disappoint Arsene Wenger is that this Milan side was not nearly as good as the other Milan sides he has played down the years.

"Arsenal are now fighting it out with Chelsea for fourth place - and they only good thing for them is that Chelsea are struggling too."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/23/2924448/wenger-is-not-to-blame-for-arsenal-failures-former-player

You can see why no big club has touched O'Leary since his Leeds days

Olivier's xmas twist
23-02-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/23/2924448/wenger-is-not-to-blame-for-arsenal-failures-former-player

You can see why no big club has touched O'Leary since his Leeds days

Well tbf he's not wrong, as much As AW bought these players etc, they still should show they can be up for it, not just show they are here for a paycheck.

Coney
23-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Arsenal's record appearance holder David O'Leary believes Arsene Wenger is not to blame for a season that looks set to bring his former club no silverware for the seventh consecutive season.

The former Leeds manager, who guided the Yorkshire club to the Champions League semi-finals in 2001, believes it is in fact poor performances of the players that are responsible for providing another disappointing campaign.

Sorry, Mr O'Leary, but that is bollocks. 'it is in fact poor performances of the players that are responsible for providing another disappointing campaign' begs the question as to why the manager has kept the same players for another campaign. I'm afraid that at the end of the day, the manager takes the responsibility for performance. An odd day here and there where someone does not perform is one thing, but a lack of performance time and again, year after year, is not the blame of one player or another.

Cripps_orig
25-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor has warned Arsenal they can forget challenging for trophies, let alone winning them, if they continue with their current transfer policy of selling their best players instead of building around them.

Speaking to The Sun, the Togolese striker expressed his fondness for his former employers ahead of Sunday's north London derby.

"Arsenal have unfortunately lost their best players and have needed to merely replace rather than kick on, but if they would just give themselves a chance to keep their best players, players like Robin van Persie and then strengthen, they would be a real threat again," he said.

"We can all see that Van Persie is one of the best strikers in the league, in the world, and to lose him would be a massive blow. But to lose him, not to replace properly and to not build up the squad afterwards would be a disaster.

"That would be an Arsenal team without any capacity to even challenge for trophies, let alone win one. That would make me sad. I'm very proud that I played for Arsenal Football Club."

Despite now playing for Spurs, Adebayor also insisted he was not enjoying seeing Arsenal's current struggles which he feels will continue without investment in the squad.

"I swear to you there's no joy for me in seeing Arsenal like this. Just because I play for Spurs now doesn't mean I want to see them struggle," he added.

"I don't. I have a lot of good memories and good friends still at the club but I'm sorry to say the problems are there for all to see and in my opinion there's a simple explanation for it.

"Every year they are losing great players like an Ashley Cole, Thierry Henry, Cesc Fabregas or a Samir Nasri. So every year they desperately try to replace these guys.

"But it is not easy to find another Thierry Henry or Cesc Fabregas as even Arsene Wenger has found out. So that's the problem.

"In an ideal world you keep those great players and every year add even more quality to the squad.

"That way you improve, that way you move forward, that way you stay competitive. But you can never improve if all you do is try and replace the players that you lose every year and never strengthen.

"It just means there's even less chance of winning trophies, so it all becomes a vicious circle and you lose even more players.

"Because all top players are the same - they want to win things and when they know that's impossible they will look to leave. That's football..."

Adebayor is expected to have recovered from a knee injury ahead of the clash at the Emirates, but can expect a hostile reception with both sets of fans having already been warned over anti-social behaviour.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/25/2928279/adebayor-selling-van-persie-would-be-a-disaster-for-arsenal

Ade :bow:

Clearly still loves the club

Needs to come back home

Ollie the Optimist
25-02-2012, 11:30 PM
what is it with these judas ****s who have won fuck all, telling us how to win when as soon as someone flashed the cash htey fucked off.

Marc Overmars
25-02-2012, 11:37 PM
what is it with these judas ****s who have won fuck all, telling us how to win when as soon as someone flashed the cash htey fucked off.

He's only saying what is said on here every day.

Ollie the Optimist
25-02-2012, 11:38 PM
He's only saying what is said on here every day.

yeah but somehow i value the opinions of gooners who pay money to support their club not small time charlies who fuck off when somoene flashes cash

Japan Shaking All Over
26-02-2012, 12:52 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/02/25/2928279/adebayor-selling-van-persie-would-be-a-disaster-for-arsenal

Ade :bow:

Clearly still loves the club

Needs to come back home

Home?
He can try but tell him we've changed the lock. . . .
that guy wouldnt know how to spell the word 'home' let alone find his way back there

Xhaka Can’t
26-02-2012, 01:18 AM
If you respond to that, you'll respond to anything.

fakeyank
26-02-2012, 02:32 AM
what is it with these judas ****s who have won fuck all, telling us how to win when as soon as someone flashed the cash htey fucked off.No difference between AW and him regarding money really. One finds trophies n higher salary attractive while the other finds 4th place n higher salary (plus possible bonuses) attractive.

Olivier's xmas twist
26-02-2012, 04:02 PM
No difference between AW and him regarding money really. One finds trophies n higher salary attractive while the other finds 4th place n higher salary (plus possible bonuses) attractive.

Yes their is Ade is a lazy money grabbing twit and he showed it today, went 2-0 up and went home. Feck off should he come back here.

Cripps_orig
29-02-2012, 03:28 PM
THEO WALCOTT received a major favour from Arsene Wenger in the North London derby.

And now I would love to see Wenger do one more thing for Theo... finally stick him up front next to Robin van Persie.

It would be a move which could give AC Milan a major fright in the Champions League next week.

Theo was getting major stick off some fans during the first half of Sunday's unbelievable clash with Tottenham — and those supporters need to take a serious look at themselves.

Wenger must have thought about replacing Theo at the break because the situation was not good. The player was getting slaughtered. It was horrible. And I'm just thankful that a substitution was avoided.

Hauling Theo off at the break could have been a defining moment in his career and certainly not in a good way. It would have been some task to recover from that.

Yet Theo responded with a brilliant second-half performance — including two goals. The character he showed to bounce back was a big highlight of Arsenal's 5-2 win.

I've heard some Arsenal supporters saying that the moaning at the Emirates 'got Theo going' but that is absolute rubbish.

He was being made a scapegoat and I didn't like it.

I am just thankful that Arsenal were rewarded in what was a great match.

Theo is still only 22 but now is the time for Wenger to play him up front.

For years, Wenger has been saying that he sees Theo in a central role but has never done anything about it.

At the very least, I would like to have seen Wenger experiment in a Carling Cup or FA Cup tie.

I know Wenger's favoured formation is to have one man up front with two wide players. But as a striker myself, I know Theo would do some major damage.

Arsenal face Milan in the Champions League next Tuesday and, obviously, it looks as though they face an impossible mission after their 4-0 collapse at the San Siro.

But Theo has the pace to be an absolute nightmare for central defenders and I believe he is a decent finisher — as he showed against Spurs.

There would not be many better strike partnerships in the Premier League than a Walcott-Van Persie combo.

Playing Theo up front against Milan could give Arsenal a chance of making life difficult for the Italian side. I'm not saying Wenger's team can win 5-0 but a couple of early goals could give Milan a big scare.

It's not as though Arsenal don't have a ready-made replacement for Theo on the right-hand side of midfield because Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is a superb talent.

I'm sure the second half of Sunday's game will give Theo some renewed confidence.

He is due to play for England against Holland tomorrow and some of his best performances in the last year have come at international level.

Hopefully, he can enjoy a decent run of form until the end of the season for Arsenal.

Saturday's match against Liverpool is another big one and I've no doubt Theo will be desperate to continue his good work.

We all know Sunday's result was massive for Arsenal and Wenger — and a big blow for Harry Redknapp's Spurs.

Now we will really see what Tottenham are made of.

Being consistent over a season — and nicking results when you don't play well — is a real art. Manchester United proved that on Sunday when they stole three points with a 2-1 win at Norwich.

I'm really looking forward to Tottenham's home clash with United this Sunday. It's a game Spurs cannot afford to lose and there is now some pressure on them.

But, whatever happens, it has been a tremendous season for Tottenham.

While Stuart Peace takes charge of England for tomorrow's friendly against Holland, I still believe he is keeping the seat warm for Redknapp.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4158608/Ian-Wright-column-Its-time-to-play-Theo-Walcott-up-front.html

Wrighty does it again :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
29-02-2012, 03:38 PM
That Theo was being 'made a scapegoat' is utter lazy horse shit.

If Theo wasn't English, he'd have been run out of the Club years ago. He kept the fans on his side far longer than he should have and has barely progressed since the day he arrived.

It can be argued that this is down to Wenger, Theo or both. What cannot be argued is that he hasn't been shit.

I hope he gains confidence from his second half performance, but I suspect we are likely to see more of his first half play.

Letters
29-02-2012, 04:07 PM
The first half performance from Theo on Sunday was embarrassing and pretty much any manager bar Wenger would have hauled him off at half time.

Ollie the Optimist
29-02-2012, 04:22 PM
The first half performance from Theo on Sunday was embarrassing and pretty much any manager bar Wenger would have hauled him off at half time.

there was one moment of utter brilliance from theo in the first half, a magical backheel to RVP which put him clear and he the post with is shot then sagna scored.

theo was awful first half, didnt track back and just looked lazy. someone kicked his arse in the dressing room because he came out a different player. need 2nd half theo not first half but walcott problem is ten shit games and one good game, needs to change that

Letters
29-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Among Wright's bullshit (about the fans being harsh on Theo, the fans have been VERY patient with him, far more patient than they would have been with a foreign player) there is some sense though. I'd like to see Theo in the middle and Ox wide. Theo is not a skillfull player, he had a horrible first half and his first touch for that first goal was awful. It's only because he's so bloody fast he was able to recover and to be fair it was a good finish. His finish for the 2nd and the one before either goal which went past the post were pretty good. He's no good on the wing trying to beat players, he's not skillful enough. Play him in though and get him to use his pace to beat the offside trap and he could be effective.

LDG
29-02-2012, 04:24 PM
That Theo was being 'made a scapegoat' is utter lazy horse shit.

If Theo wasn't English, he'd have been run out of the Club years ago. He kept the fans on his side far longer than he should have and has barely progressed since the day he arrived.

It can be argued that this is down to Wenger, Theo or both. What cannot be argued is that he hasn't been shit.

I hope he gains confidence from his second half performance, but I suspect we are likely to see more of his first half play.

Theo only plays when the pressure is off him.

When the team get going, he gets involved. He doesn't ever look to make things happen for the team.

Basically because he can't.

He has no control of the football. And if a team sits deep, he's fucked.

He is good when games open up, and when we're on top, because other teams naturally push up when they're getting beaten by us.

Power n Glory
29-02-2012, 04:25 PM
The moans and groans must have been messing with him. He was getting everything wrong and it was a terrible performance because the crowd were on his back. Being ineffective is one thing but Theo looked totally unsure I himself in that game. If you think booing players during a game is counter productive, the constant groans and moans have the same effect.

But anyway....time for Theo to play up front. I agree with Wright.

Ollie the Optimist
29-02-2012, 04:26 PM
The moans and groans must have been messing with him. He was getting everything wrong and it was a terrible performance because the crowd were on his back. Being ineffective is one thing but Theo looked totally unsure I himself in that game. If you think booing players during a game is counter productive, the constant groans and moans have the same effect.

booing can work to a degree, it worked with eboue, he didnt moan, he just went back to the training pitch and put the extra hours in, the crowd saw this and loved him again. think the problem with theo is he looked like he didnt care during the first half.

this doesnt however mean i support booing. i think its wrong during a game.

Letters
29-02-2012, 04:27 PM
You can't blame fans for moans and groans. It's a natural reaction to a player earning more each week than we get in a year not being able to pass a football.

GP
29-02-2012, 04:30 PM
You can't blame fans for moans and groans. It's a natural reaction to a player earning more each week than we get in a year not being able to pass a football.

Agreed. Theo wasn't playing badly because the crowd were on his back. The crowd were on his back because he was playing badly.

First half, he had a holocaust.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-02-2012, 04:31 PM

He looked that way all season lets not make excuses for him, he has been shite end off and if the fans feel it they should say it, just like if they feel wenger makes wrong choices they should boo him.

even Wenger says he nearly too theo off at HT cause he was notplaying well.

Ollie the Optimist
29-02-2012, 04:33 PM

there is this, but then htere is the fact he is reportly asking for a lot more money to play for us. i dont think that will help keep the crowd at bay. of course it could be media bollocks but when a player not playing well and then demands more money the crowd arent going to be forgiving

Syn
29-02-2012, 04:40 PM
He messed up a few times, but it was that one where he had a clear run at goal and decided to pass to Van Persie who had 3 defenders near him. That really pissed everyone off. As Letters says, Wenger is probably one of the only managers who is so patient with repeated mistakes (which is one of his repeated mistakes) because although it does pay-off sometimes, it usually has not been. Must admit - nevermind half-time, I would've hauled him off at that moment. He has to learn. A bad first-touch, a wayward pass...things like that you can forgive because he's not the most gifted player. But a complete lack of cojones, nope, he can do one (though it did take some cojones to keep making those runs in the second half and keep at it).

The crowd will definitely groan when players fuck up a promising attack. It's just what you do. You can't really help it. It doesn't matter who it is that fucks up - Van Persie, Walcott, whoever. It's just that it happens to be Walcott far too often. If you make too many of them, people will start shouting out "FFS Theo". Big fucking deal, either stop fucking up or leave.

I don't think Walcott has got any unfair criticism from Arsenal fans. ****s like Hansen who decide to lay into him after he scores a hat-trick...yeah, that's a bit out of order. But otherwise, given this is his 6th year of top flight football, I think the fans have been quite good to him. And rightly so. He should grow some balls but otherwise, he's ok. Not good enough for us IMO but that's Wenger's fault for sticking with him. It's not his fault he's shit but he is a tryer. This season especially himself and Gervinho do work hard tracking back. But the only aspect I think he has improved on since joining is his finishing...when he actually decides to shoot instead of bricking it and passing up the responsibility, he's quite clinical. Maybe his runs are more intelligent now too (Van Persie's goal came about because Theo made a great run from out wide to centre...Ljungberg style).

Letters
29-02-2012, 04:41 PM
there is this, but then htere is the fact he is reportly asking for a lot more money to play for us. i dont think that will help keep the crowd at bay. of course it could be media bollocks but when a player not playing well and then demands more money the crowd arent going to be forgiving

A combination of:

Arsenal being on a terrible run and the fans being pissed off anyway.
Going 0-1 and then 0-2 down to Spurs.
Theo reportedly (and it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, fans will read it and it will effect how they feel) wanting a salary hike to £80k a week despite not being consistently effective all season.

and

Theo then having an awful first half.

It's not going to make people kindly disposed towards him. I like Theo and I think he can be effective but he hasn't been so far. Not consistently. And while he's young he's not that young and he should have developed more than he has.

Power n Glory
29-02-2012, 04:42 PM
It still effects a players confidence and especially when he's being asked to do something that isn't suitable to his game. He's not a winger and that should be the discussion instead of people getting defensive especially when I've heard the same people critcise others for booing during a game. Theo was getting abuse and that won't help his confidence one bit. But forget all that. The discussion should be about Wright's main argument. Playing him up front with RVP.

Kano
29-02-2012, 04:47 PM
It still effects a players confidence and especially when he's being asked to do something that isn't suitable to his game. He's not a winger and that should be the discussion instead of people getting defensive especially when I've heard the same people critcise others for booing during a game. Theo was getting abuse and that won't help his confidence one bit. But forget all that. The discussion should be about Wright's main argument. Playing him up front with RVP.

the "he's not a winger" argument has nothing to do with it. controlling, passing or making a decision is not based on where you play but who you are as a player. i was a big fan of the boy but have lost faith in him due to his inability to do the footballing basics on a consistent basis.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-02-2012, 04:53 PM

What has missing a pass or failing to beat his man having to do with him being a winger ? he was booed because he was poor in the 1st half same as anyother player would be if they were frustating as him.

This him not being a winger talk is getting tedious now.

Cripps_orig
29-02-2012, 04:55 PM
The discussion should be about Wright's main argument. Playing him up front with RVP.This

Dont understand why Wenger doesnt do this. 4-5-1 has killed our game and we need to go back to basics. To 4-4-2, a formation that won us trophies. Theo up top with RVP just behind, a baby version of Henry and Bergkamp and who knows, in time might be as good. Stick Ox on the right, Gervinho on the left until we get someone better and Song and Wilshere in the middle.

Pretty simple

Olivier's xmas twist
29-02-2012, 04:57 PM
This

Dont understand why Wenger doesnt do this. 4-5-1 has killed our game and we need to go back to basics. To 4-4-2, a formation that won us trophies. Theo up top with RVP just behind, a baby version of Henry and Bergkamp and who knows, in time might be as good. Stick Ox on the right, Gervinho on the left until we get someone better and Song and Wilshere in the middle.

Pretty simple

Because walcott is shite no matter where you put him end off, just not good enough.

Power n Glory
29-02-2012, 04:57 PM
the "he's not a winger" argument has nothing to do with it. controlling, passing or making a decision is not based on where you play but who you are as a player. i was a big fan of the boy but have lost faith in him due to his inability to do the footballing basics on a consistent basis.

It is mate and you can look at Vermaelen as a good example.

Kano
29-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Because walcott is shite no matter where you put him end off, just not good enough.
i wouldn't call him shite and he may prosper more in a duo in the middle but that still doesn't excuse the continual silly mistakes he makes most weeks.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-02-2012, 04:59 PM
i wouldn't call him shite and he may prosper more in a duo in the middle but that still doesn't excuse the continual silly mistakes he makes most weeks.

Fine shit then

Kano
29-02-2012, 05:00 PM
It is mate and you can look at Vermaelen as a good example.
vermaelen's poor decision making is evident either at lb or cb - his position doesn't change his make up as a player.

and i'm not sure comparing someone who plays sporadically in a different position with someone who has spent 4/5 years there with marginal improvement is a fair assessment.

Power n Glory
29-02-2012, 05:01 PM
What has missing a pass or failing to beat his man having to do with him being a winger ? he was booed because he was poor in the 1st half same as anyother player would be if they were frustating as him.

This him not being a winger talk is getting tedious now.

Your posting is shit. Sort it out.

Power n Glory
29-02-2012, 05:02 PM
vermaelen's poor decision making is evident either at lb or cb - his position doesn't change his make up as a player.

and i'm not sure comparing someone who plays sporadically in a different position with someone who has spent 4/5 years there with marginal improvement is a fair assessment.

Erosion of confidence. Play Verm there too long and he will suffer.

Cripps_orig
29-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Your posting is shit. Sort it out.Just remember who you're replying to

Syn
29-02-2012, 05:05 PM
If failing to beat players and an inability to cross (both of which are true) were his only problems, then fair enough...the 'not a winger' stuff holds up. But as TT says, not having the balls to carry on towards goal and put a shot away - if you fancy yourself as a striker, you need to at least show some initiative.

I'm not in favour of changing the system for Walcott. Maybe he will play better in a 4-4-2 -ish type formation. He probably will. Maybe we need to change our system anyway. But until he shows better goalscoring instincts and some better basic control and decision-making, there were other players that would benefit from playing in a 4-4-1-1 formation more that I'd give a go first. Arshavin, Rosicky, Benayoun. Maybe even Chamakh.

It sounds harsh but he only netted the first goal due to a miscontrol. It made his mind up for him to go for the chip because he'd over-run it. His initial touch (before being dragged on) was minimal...as it so often is the case with Walcott, he couldn't carry the ball with him. You have no chance as a striker if you can't do simple stuff like that.

Cripps_orig
29-02-2012, 05:07 PM
His first touch for the 2nd goal looked good to me

Marc Overmars
29-02-2012, 05:10 PM
He's a pub teamer FFS, but that's not to say pub teamers can't be effective. This is it for Walnut, you've either got that natural poise and nous of a footballer or you haven't, he's been on display long enough now for us to know his limits.

Some games he'll spend in the pocket of his marker, other games he'll find space to punt and run towards goal. It's a lottery with him.