24-07-2013, 11:24 AM
if bernard gets his own thread than this guy is worth his own

our odds of signing him have dampened down to 4/5

with real madrid 2/1 odds on signing him

I hope he comes home

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/luis-suarez/next-club

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:48 AM
LOL - this thread is like a rabbit in a car's headlights. Inevitable outcome.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Also, worst thread ever.

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Also, worst thread ever.

he's coming HOME

Nayan
24-07-2013, 12:57 PM
suarez is a ****.
plus he cheats.

I really cant fathom either
(a) arsenal spending 300% its club record fee to bring in someone worse behaved than the players it has shipped out /refused to buy in the past
or (b) arsenal knowing full well liverpool will only sell to a non prem team, think taht being seen offfering an empty 40mill is enough to hoodwink fans into thinking they 'got dat ambition.'

wankers

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Maybe it has nothing to do with the fans. It could be a business issue, they may be trying to send messages to the business community. Regardless, we obviously aren't signing Suarez.

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 01:17 PM
suarez is a ****.
plus he cheats.

I really cant fathom either
(a) arsenal spending 300% its club record fee to bring in someone worse behaved than the players it has shipped out /refused to buy in the past
or (b) arsenal knowing full well liverpool will only sell to a non prem team, think taht being seen offfering an empty 40mill is enough to hoodwink fans into thinking they 'got dat ambition.'

wankers
rather we sign him and actually compete to secure top 4 next season

Marc Overmars
24-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Because of his ban don't expect this to reach a conclusion anytime soon as there's no rush to get him in.

100 pager on deadline day tbf.

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Because of his ban don't expect this to reach a conclusion anytime soon as there's no rush to get him in.

100 pager on deadline day tbf.

we need him for the champions league and emiratescup

I_Killed_Kenny
24-07-2013, 01:34 PM
we arent winning either of those!

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Champions League is in the bag. All about the emirates cup

Özil's Panoramic View
24-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Has he come home yet?

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Has he come home yet?

yes.

I_Killed_Kenny
24-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Champions League is in the bag. All about the emirates cup

emirates cup and 4th place trophy! stuff of dreams!

LDG
24-07-2013, 03:17 PM
You’re bitey and you’re racist
Your teeth could do with braces
You trip on your boot laces
Fuck off Suarez

(Credit to A Gooner)

Grebbo
24-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I've come full circle now and think £40m is actually good business. He's coming into his prime, has Prem experience. Bale's going for £80m, Higuain £30m+, Cavani £50m+ etc etc

If Suarez wasn't a wanker he'd probably have been voted the best player in the Prem last season.

£40m for the best player in the Prem is a good deal.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I've come full circle now and think £40m is actually good business. He's coming into his prime, has Prem experience. Bale's going for £80m, Higuain £30m+, Cavani £50m+ etc etc

If Suarez wasn't a wanker he'd probably have been voted the best player in the Prem last season.

£40m for the best player in the Prem is a good deal.

RvP was the best player by a mile and a half. We had a player called RvP too IIRC, didn't cost us £40mill though.

Özim
24-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Should have signed Aguero when we had the chance tbf.

Grebbo
24-07-2013, 03:34 PM
RvP was the best player by a mile and a half. We had a player called RvP too IIRC, didn't cost us £40mill though.

I don't think he was. He had quite a long scoring drought and was playing for the best team in the country. Suarez was playing with far inferior players which is much more difficult.

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Bale

/thread

Özim
24-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't think he was. He had quite a long scoring drought and was playing for the best team in the country. Suarez was playing with far inferior players which is much more difficult.
The same RVP carried an inferior team with 39 goals the season before to be fair, maybe it's easier playing for an inferior team as your the focal point?

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 03:38 PM

RvP won the title and then took an early holiday. The rest had plenty of time to catch him but no luck. Suarez may have done had he not been too busy getting banned for being an arsehole of such magnitude his like hasn't been seen in the game since every time John Terry plays.

Grebbo
24-07-2013, 03:42 PM
One thing for sure is we're going to need a flesh eating lawyer to get to grips with this £40m clause. Liverpool will not sell him if they're not forced to.

I reckon this will rumble along until deadline day and we'll ultimately miss out.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 03:46 PM
One thing for sure is we're going to need a flesh eating lawyer to get to grips with this £40m clause. Liverpool will not sell him if they're not forced to.

I reckon this will rumble along until deadline day and we'll ultimately miss out.

Agreed, I think it will go according to plan too.

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 03:48 PM
suarez is coming home

GP
24-07-2013, 03:48 PM
1-1 in Newcastle

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 03:53 PM

GP
24-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Odds mean fuckall.

Marc Overmars
24-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Odds mean fuckall.

Exactly right.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Exactly right.

Are you being sarcastic or is that a huge erection you have in your pocket?

Master Splinter
24-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Odds are never wrong.

Great post.

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Odds are never wrong.

Great post.

bookmakers wouldn't offer 2/1 on him going to real madrid if they didn't know for sure that he would deffo go there

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Odds mean fuckall.

really? really?

so everything related to probability and mathematics is wrong?

REALLY?

really?

GP
24-07-2013, 04:48 PM
really? really?

so everything related to probability and mathematics is wrong?

REALLY?

really?

Odds reflect betting patterns.

Betting was suspended on signing Fellaini.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 04:49 PM

it was also suspended on suarez ;)

Master Splinter
24-07-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8838445/luis-suarez-should-snub-arsenal-and-stay-at-liverpool-says-graeme-souness

Souness :lol:.

Why is everyone associated with Liverpool still stuck in 1990?

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 04:51 PM
it was also suspended on suarez ;)

This is because everyone was betting we wouldn't sign those players.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8838445/luis-suarez-should-snub-arsenal-and-stay-at-liverpool-says-graeme-souness

Souness :lol:.

Why is everyone associated with Liverpool still stuck in 1990?

he also clearly hasnt been to anfield for a long time. best atmosphere? you can hear a pin drop most of the time there :lol:

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 04:55 PM

guess he's coming home then

Fist of Lehmann
24-07-2013, 04:57 PM
You have two more guesses remaining.

Dicks and chicks
You have two more guesses remaining.

he's coming home WHY DOES NO ONE BELIEVE HE IS

Munchies
There is no better group of supporters than they have at Liverpool. For me - and I know I'm totally biased -

STFU up then Souness you twat

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Nothing beats those special anfield nights

Dicks and chicks
24-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Nothing beats those special anfield nights
istanbull 2k5

I_Killed_Kenny
24-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Reckon cripps meant may 89?

bunsco
24-07-2013, 06:11 PM
rather we sign him and actually compete to secure top 4 next season

That kind of talk is the reason no top quality fucker wants to join us - no belief we want to go out of our way to actually win something.

Also we're a club with a long history of racial diversity and class - and now we're about to blow £40 mil on a player with a history of ill discipline (way beyond anything Keown, Merson, Adams and PV4 have done to embarrass the club) and who thinks it OK to racially slur players with use of the worse term possible.

And before anyone starts - being ignorant etc isn't an excuse, which I don't buy anyway - not like he hasn't spent enough time in Holland and the UK not to realize what he was doing - he obviously couldn't give a shit.

The guys always a flick away from a lengthy ban - he's got more than standard form for this.

whatever way we look at this - we're fucked as it seems no one of real note wants to join us anyways (durys out on Bernard - if he comes)...

Injury Time
24-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Higuain sold to Napoli
Real not realistically buying Bale
Suarez to Real for £40,000,002
Liverpool to invest extra £1 on a lottery ticket.

Cesc to Manure would then just seal another peachy transfer window (plus Board happy with the extra couple of quid towards the champers with lunch fund :good:)

Yes I know, it's probably the most optimistic I've ever posted :ilt:

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 06:40 PM
A couple of insulting words worse than being a druggie or an alcoholic drink driver?

Really?

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 06:46 PM
A couple of insulting words worse than being a druggie or an alcoholic drink driver?

Really?

Yes. Saying something racist is much worse than genocide or global corruption. People who say bad things need to be killed, I suppose by the respectable ****s who do bad things on a massive scale.

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 06:48 PM
More importantly what did Keown and Vieira do to embarrass this once great club?

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 06:51 PM
More importantly what did Keown and Vieira do to embarrass this once great club?

They made RvN shit his knickers in terror. One of the highlights in club history.

McNamara That Ghost...
24-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Vieira's was appear on ITV's World Cup coverage and Keown's was to appear on the BBC's.

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 06:54 PM
RVN :haha:

What a massive **** he was before he turned awesome.

That didn't embarrass us, that if anything gave us the "us against the world" attitude we lack these days and enabled us to go on and win the title

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 06:58 PM
istanbull 2k5

Yeah that wasn't at Anfield...

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes. Saying something racist is much worse than genocide or global corruption. People who say bad things need to be killed, I suppose by the respectable ****s who do bad things on a massive scale.

Really?

You guys are just as bad as the fucktards that defend John Terry.

Don't excuse the nonsense just because our club name has been attached to a deal with this guy. If it was one of our players involved in the Suarez incidents, would you be saying the same thing? Or a former player like Henry?

Don't try to downplay or defend the player. It was bad enough when Liverpool were at it with the T-Shirt rubbish, but at least he was their player. He's not even our player, we've just being linked with him and it's embarrassing to hear some of this. Bloody whores! :lol:

Don't belittle the incidents. It's best just to say maybe he could learn a thing or two playing in our diverse squad and being in London. Isolation won't solve racism. That's a better argument. Cannibalism....not so sure we can get around that but whatever. :lol: But don't be hypocrites.

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 07:40 PM
I still don't see how it's worse

Kano
24-07-2013, 07:41 PM
so the owner of the 'potential' selling club tweeted that he wonders what we are smoking over at the emirates stadium and there's dicussion over whether he will come or not.

come on, close the thread now and save the embarrassment.

milla
24-07-2013, 07:50 PM
so the owner of the 'potential' selling club tweeted that he wonders what we are smoking over at the emirates stadium and there's dicussion over whether he will come or not.

come on, close the thread now and save the embarrassment.

He is definitely smoking something else, who on earth would pay £35 million for Andy Carrol & £20 million for Stewart Downing rofl :coffee:

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I still don't see how it's worse

For an Arsenal fan to shit on Adams and Merson for a player who has no links to this club....whorish behavior. I can almost understand the fucktards that defend their own, but damn!

I made a similar point to NQ last week, this is a classic case of self interest. You can't claw for the moral high ground against our Board and organisations like the FA, UEFA and Fifa if you're going to justify Suarez's actions. If one of our boys gets racially abused during an away game and Blatter doesn't want to deal with it, what will you say? Heck, at least Blatter has a real self interest at stake because there is money on the line.

Kano
24-07-2013, 08:04 PM
there is justifying it then there is contextualising it.

hammer him forever for being a racist if he used the worst aggressive language and was a serial offender.

as easy as it is to dismiss his actions as 'just a one-off' and so not seeming to address the problem, it is just as easy to speed into hyperbole about how evil a person he is.

he doesn't help himself at all with his other actions but let's not forget, they are acts of extreme stupidity, which seems to point to a personality trend, rather than a pre-thought out plan of action against certain people.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Don't excuse the nonsense just because our club name has been attached to a deal with this guy. If it was one of our players involved in the Suarez incidents, would you be saying the same thing? Or a former player like Henry?

Don't try to downplay or defend the player. It was bad enough when Liverpool were at it with the T-Shirt rubbish, but at least he was their player. He's not even our player, we've just being linked with him and it's embarrassing to hear some of this. Bloody whores! :lol:

Don't belittle the incidents. It's best just to say maybe he could learn a thing or two playing in our diverse squad and being in London. Isolation won't solve racism. That's a better argument. Cannibalism....not so sure we can get around that but whatever. :lol: But don't be hypocrites.

Don't belittle the incident? No, blow it out of all conceivable proportion and then belittle everything else. This stupid country full of ignorant peasants just grovelled to the gates of the ultimate in discriminatory social bigots so they could coo over the pre-ordained right (by plucking legitimacy from thin air I suppose) of this small klan to elevate themselves above all others. They are superior, not by skin colour but by blood. God says so apparently. We will bow at the sight of them. And all of this is normal, devote the news and newspapers in worship and hang out the flags. But any attempt to place Suarez's transgression into a rational context has knees jumping and mouths frothing. Nobody condones what Suarez said but it seems mostly everyone is prepared to pursue this flea to the ends of the elephant.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 08:11 PM
there is justifying it then there is contextualising it.

hammer him forever for being a racist if he used the worst aggressive language and was a serial offender.

as easy as it is to dismiss his actions as 'just a one-off' and so not seeming to address the problem, it is just as easy to speed into hyperbole about how evil a person he is.

he doesn't help himself at all with his other actions but let's not forget, they are acts of extreme stupidity, which seems to point to a personality trend, rather than a pre-thought out plan of action against certain people.

People want to put things into context now that he's linked with our club. That's the main problem.

It's a bit whorish but human nature I guess. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:13 PM
For an Arsenal fan to shit on Adams and Merson for a player who has no links to this club....whorish behavior. I can almost understand the fucktards that defend their own, but damn!

I made a similar point to NQ last week, this is a classic case of self interest. You can't claw for the moral high ground against our Board and organisations like the FA, UEFA and Fifa if you're going to justify Suarez's actions. If one of our boys gets racially abused during an away game and Blatter doesn't want to deal with it, what will you say? Heck, at least Blatter has a real self interest at stake because there is money on the line.

Sorry, but who is justifying Suarez's actions?

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:15 PM
People want to put things into context now that he's linked with our club. That's the main problem.

No, I just want to put it into context and drag it out of the realm of insanity.

Kano
24-07-2013, 08:20 PM

it's the tribal nature of football. if a player mistackles one of 'ours' let alone call him a racist name, he is tarnished as an absolute ****.

when you realise you may have to support someone, it can bring out a little bit of rationality. and i mean a little bit.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:22 PM
it's the tribal nature of football. if a player mistackles one of 'ours' let alone call him a racist name, he is tarnished as an absolute ****.

when you realise you may have to support someone, it can bring out a little bit of rationality. and i mean a little bit.

And it's a moo point because he's not coming here anyway. We just made a bid to activate a clause. Did the same with Felaini. If I had to guess I think Wenger is getting psychological help and the first step is to role play a few bids out. Next year he will move on to meeting prospective signings and in 2015 he will go to PSG.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 08:24 PM
No, I just want to put it into context and drag it out of the realm of insanity.

Yes, now you feel a need to drag it into context because he's linked with our club. Did you feel a need a year ago or 3 months ago even?

milla
24-07-2013, 08:27 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/24/4140562/suarez-preparing-to-submit-transfer-request-to-force-arsenal?ICID=HP_HN_1

Luis Suarez is preparing to submit a formal transfer request to engineer his departure from Liverpool, Goal can reveal.

The striker has told Anfield officials he wants to leave the club and join Arsenal, who made a bid worth £42 million for him on Monday.

However, Liverpool insist that Suarez is not for sale and have let it be known to the player’s camp that he will have to lodge an official transfer request in writing in order to leave Merseyside.

This raises the prospect that Suarez will concede bonuses and other financial triggers but, with the player so keen to leave, Liverpool will face a decision over whether to begin negotiating a fee for his sale with Arsenal.

The Gunners lodged a second bid for the forward on Monday, made up of £35m up front and supplemented by £7m of add-ons.

This has been rejected by Liverpool but it is understood that Arsene Wenger will ‘pull out all the stops' in an attempt to land Suarez, who has become the main focus of his attention as he attempts to make a marquee striker signing.

Arsenal are believed to be confident that the Uruguayan is keen on a move to Emirates Stadium, and have now gone into completely unchartered territory to capture him.

The offer, which is comfortably a club record, is nearly double the £23.1m offer the Gunners made earlier this month for Gonzalo Higuain, who is putting the finishing touches to a £31.8m move to Napoli.

Arsenal are also preparing what is believed to be a lucrative package for a player who signed a £100,000-a-week four-year deal last summer.

Liverpool are fighting to hold on to the striker, who has spoken frequently this summer of his interest in a move, most specifically to Real Madrid. However, the Spanish giants have yet to make a bid for him and Arsenal are currently the only club in the running for his signature.

Earlier, Suarez made an 18-minute cameo appearance as a substitute on as he returned to the Liverpool team for the first time since April 21. In front of 95,000 fans at the MCG, he set up the second goal in the Merseysiders’ 2-0 win.

Brendan Rodgers has compared Suarez's value to that of Edinson Cavani, who joined Paris Saint-Germain last week for £55m, but the Anfield manager has stopped short of completely ruling out the Uruguayan's departure, merely saying every player has his value and he will only leave "if something drastic happens".

Suarez has a £40m clause in his contract which his advisers believe entitles him to ask for permission to speak to any club that matches the price. But Liverpool claim they only have to inform Suarez and the clause does not oblige them to sell.

Arsenal believe they have been given enough encouragement by the Uruguayan's representatives that he is keen to move to Emirates Stadium in search of Champions League football.

The Gunners' second offer has been timed to coincide with Suarez returning to pre-season training following his extended summer break. The striker linked up with Liverpool in Melbourne on Sunday for the second leg of their pre-season tour.

Suarez has emerged as Wenger's first choice ahead of Higuain and Wayne Rooney, who is the subject of strong interest from Chelsea.

:popcorn:

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 08:27 PM

I can understand tribalism (to an extent) when it's our player.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Yes, now you feel a need to drag it into context because he's linked with our club. Did you feel a need a year ago or 3 months ago even?

I said I couldn't give a shit about it at the time, I said it was horribly blown out of proportion at the time. Look it up. Evra appeared a while later liberally using the word nigger, but that was just a bit of fun. Wasn't it? And I don't want Suarez to come to the club.

What else do you have?

Grebbo
24-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Don't belittle the incident? No, blow it out of all conceivable proportion and then belittle everything else. This stupid country full of ignorant peasants just grovelled to the gates of the ultimate in discriminatory social bigots so they could coo over the pre-ordained right (by plucking legitimacy from thin air I suppose) of this small klan to elevate themselves above all others. They are superior, not by skin colour but by blood. God says so apparently. We will bow at the sight of them. And all of this is normal, devote the news and newspapers in worship and hang out the flags. But any attempt to place Suarez's transgression into a rational context has knees jumping and mouths frothing. Nobody condones what Suarez said but it seems mostly everyone is prepared to pursue this flea to the ends of the elephant.

Do you write for a living? If not then you should.

Özim
24-07-2013, 08:40 PM
From what we've seen on the pitch Suarez have been involved in cheating (handball in the world cup, does he dive as well?), a racism storm (which he refused to put behind him) and in violence (by biting someone, 2nd time he's done this).

Hardly a model pro is he, from a purely football perspective does any club really need a guy who is likely to get himself banned for a significant amount of time at any given stage in the season, especially when you have to pay big money for him?

I personally don't think he's a special enough talent to warrant putting up with this.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Do you write for a living? If not then you should.

I just post what Cripps sends me.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I said I couldn't give a shit about it at the time, I said it was horribly blown out of proportion at the time. Look it up. Evra appeared a while later liberally using the word nigger, but that was just a bit of fun. Wasn't it? And I don't want Suarez to come to the club.

What else do you have?

How stupid are you? That's what you're going to use to justify this nonsense? Another black man using the word like how it's done in Hip Hop or street culture?
Was he trying to wind anyone up and using it to cause a offence? I don't think so. Did you find it offensive?

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 08:58 PM
How stupid are you? That's what you're going to use to justify this nonsense? Another black man using the word like how it's done in Hip Hop or street culture?
Was he trying to wind anyone up and using it to cause a offence? I don't think so. Did you find it offensive?

Yeah, I'm not trying to justify anything. I don't care what any of them said, I'm just pointing out to those who seem to be on some sort of selective moral crusade that there are far, far (far) worse things in the world but nobody bothers mentioning them. If this horrible crime committed by Suarez gets the crusaders fired up I can't wait to see them in action confronting the mega racist shit exploding all around their ear holes. In between cheering in favour of it at parades of course, because everyone needs some down time.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I'm not trying to justify anything. I don't care what any of them said, I'm just pointing out to those who seem to be on some sort of selective moral crusade that there are far, far (far) worse things in the world but nobody bothers mentioning them. If this horrible crime committed by Suarez gets the crusaders fired up I can't wait to see them in action confronting the mega racist shit exploding all around their ear holes. In between cheering in favour of it at parades of course, because everyone needs some down time.

You yourself are on a selective moral crusade. Stop pointing the finger in the other direction all the time and at bigger organisations. They're all built on individuals. And if you don't care what either of them said then you have no business talking about bigger issues because you can't see the wood for the trees.

Özim
24-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Let's be fair, Suarez is a high profile sportsman earning millions who is idolised by many people, including kids.

His actions on the pitch are probably mimicked in kids matches all over the country and so are his actions (kids are impressionable). As a high profile sportsman he has a duty to at least try to set a good example and not make certain unsavoury aspects of society acceptable.

The things he does has a big impact due to his profile. Obviously there are much worse things all around, perhaps not so much in the public eye however and thus not able to influence the masses in the same way.

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Do people seriously think he's racist?

If he was, I'm sure the black Liverpool players wouldn't stand for it yet I'm sure some were wearing the infamous t shirts.

And in no way is what Suarez said worse than what Adams and Merson did.

Got nothing to do with who plays for who etc. it's just common sense

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:22 PM
You yourself are on a selective moral crusade. Stop pointing the finger in the other direction all the time and at bigger organisations. They're all built on individuals. And if you don't care what either of them said then you have no business talking about bigger issues because you can't see the wood for the trees.

Bloody hell, you have several selective crusades going on but I'm not allowed even one? You get to preach to the fans who have the nerve to have an opinion on transfers, you get to be the PR agent for keeping Suarezgate in the spotlight. What do I get? All I wanted was a small, unnoticed corner full of brutal war criminals, slave owners and global fraudsters whose very stock in trade is extreme racism. Okay, I'll wear the clown suit and stomp around slagging Suarez if I really have to, but after that I'm having my own fucking crusade and that's the end of it.

Özim
24-07-2013, 09:23 PM

If he was, I'm sure the black Liverpool players wouldn't stand for it yet I'm sure some were wearing the infamous t shirts.

To be honest people could say the same about Terry, he has black teammates and yet he's labelled a racist.

Adams and Merson didn't bite players on the pitch to be fair, he made his actions worse by refusing to let bygones be bygones when he was to blame for the incident.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Yep, he killed 6 million Jews which proves it.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Let's be fair, Suarez is a high profile sportsman earning millions who is idolised by many people, including kids.

His actions on the pitch are probably mimicked in kids matches all over the country and so are his actions (kids are impressionable). As a high profile sportsman he has a duty to at least try to set a good example and not make certain unsavoury aspects of society acceptable.

The things he does has a big impact due to his profile. Obviously there are much worse things all around, perhaps not so much in the public eye however and thus not able to influence the masses in the same way.

Let's be fair, David Cameron is the PM of Great Britain.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Cripps....if a guy at work uses a racial slur against you in the office to try and wind you up so you lose it and lose your job, are you going to make the same argument just because he works with colleagues of a different race?

Common sense now!

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Cripps....if a guy at work uses a racial slur against you in the office to try and wind you up so you lose it and lose your job, are you going to make the same argument just because he works with colleagues of a different race?

Common sense now!
I'm not defending Suarez. I'm just saying what he did isn't worse than Adams and Merson antics.

They could have killed themselves and others. Suarez said a bad word. Oh my, lets hang him.

Suarez is a **** but hopefully he'll be our **** soon

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:35 PM

Common sense now!

What about an office full of angels of goodness and harmony that makes its profits and pays the wages on the back of slave labour? How many verses of Kumbayah do you need to sing to make that okay?

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm not defending Suarez. I'm just saying what he did isn't worse than Adams and Merson antics.

They could have killed themselves and others. Suarez said a bad word. Oh my, lets hang him.

Suarez is a **** but hopefully he'll be our **** soon

The fact that you keep bringing up Adams and Merson just makes it worse. You are defending him and stop trying to downplay it and make out as if it was nothing.

If you want to make a case for him joining the club, the football speaks for itself. He's a great player and that's all you need to argue. Don't give me this shit about Adams or play it like the public are being too sensitive.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:40 PM
The fact that you keep bringing up Adams and Merson just makes it worse. You are defending him and stop trying to downplay it and make out as if it was nothing.

If you want to make a case for him joining the club, the football speaks for itself. He's a great player and that's all you need to argue. Don't give me this shit about Adams or play it like the public are being too sensitive.

His words, "I'm not defending Suarez."
You, "You are defending him..."

Seems reasonable you would be best placed to know what he thinks so you have my vote.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 09:41 PM
What about an office full of angels of goodness and harmony that makes its profits and pays the wages on the back of slave labour? How many verses of Kumbayah do you need to sing to make that okay?

And you preach night and day about corporate corruption. :lol:

We both know you're full of shit!

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 09:43 PM
His words, "I'm not defending Suarez."
You, "You are defending him..."

Seems reasonable you would be best placed to know what he thinks so you have my vote.

Take a nap. You've had a long day.

Grebbo
24-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Most people are a little bit racist tbh.

Schmeichel shouted racist abuse at Wrighty and he's regarded as a legend and has since worked for the BBC.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:45 PM
And you preach night and day about corporate corruption. :lol:

We both now you're full of shit!

It's a hobby, I got fired from my day job for treating gun shot victims with toothpaste. You should never neglect your teeth no matter the circumstances.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 09:48 PM
My grandmother calls a broken beer bottle a 'Nigger Knife'

Which I guess makes Suarez your cousin?

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 09:48 PM

:gp: reading some fans thoughts on twittter on this one, most agree that the racism can be forgiven as a one off comment in the heat of the moment situation, if he had apologised sincerely. most believe he hasnt ever offered a sincere apology to evra and his sense of injustice of it all is what peoples problem with him is. its mine too.

suarez as a player is fantastic, second best striker in england, we get him and our squad has jsut massively improved. suarez the person is a complete **** and prone to do something stupid. he could score you 30 goals in a season, he could also be banned 30 games. i think we need to sign him, no other striker who will make a statement like suarez would is avalible. (higuain has gone, rooney isnt as good as saurez) im excited we are willing to spend 40 million on a genunine world class player, im just not that excited its him.

GP
24-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Which I guess makes Suarez your cousin?

Father's, brother's, sister's, cousin's, nephew's former roommate.

Grebbo
24-07-2013, 09:51 PM
There ain't no black in the Union Jack

Should sing that when Suarez scores tbh

LDG
24-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Father's, brother's, sister's, cousin's, nephew's former roommate.

I lived next door. Small world.

You must be his uncles cousin's sister's brother's son they were always talking about. The one with the limp.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 09:56 PM
tonights daily mirror are saying that for the first time liverpool have admitted he is for sale but at 50 million only.

thats their first position weakened, by saying he is for sale has weakened them massively even if they say for 50 million only. next step is a transfer request, weakens them further. i reckon he will go around 45 million

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 09:58 PM
:gp: reading some fans thoughts on twittter on this one, most agree that the racism can be forgiven as a one off comment in the heat of the moment situation, if he had apologised sincerely. most believe he hasnt ever offered a sincere apology to evra and his sense of injustice of it all is what peoples problem with him is. its mine too.

suarez as a player is fantastic, second best striker in england, we get him and our squad has jsut massively improved. suarez the person is a complete **** and prone to do something stupid. he could score you 30 goals in a season, he could also be banned 30 games. i think we need to sign him, no other striker who will make a statement like suarez would is avalible. (higuain has gone, rooney isnt as good as saurez) im excited we are willing to spend 40 million on a genunine world class player, im just not that excited its him.

That's just it. There is really no point in trying to sugarcoat the issue or defend his character. Its best just to focus on his skills as a player and what he could potentially bring to the team and leave it at that.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 10:05 PM
That's just it. There is really no point in trying to sugarcoat the issue or defend his character. Its best just to focus on his skills as a player and what he could potentially bring to the team and leave it at that.

So provided the people who disagree with you remain silent all is well? It can be left at that?

It's a generous offer, I'll have to think about it.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:07 PM
n many respects, the setting that Ivan Gazidis chose for his declaration of Arsenal's transfer market intent at the beginning of last month only served to emphasis the dawn of the new era. If the boardroom at Highbury House feels as though it has been lifted from decades gone by, it is because, in essence, it has.

When the club moved from their old ground to the Emirates Stadium, English Heritage highlighted various aspects of architectural significance and they included the wood-panelling from the boardroom, the long table and the chairman's chair, which is actually more of a throne. So Arsenal took them all across, as they created a near-replica of the past in their home for the future. There are even dummy doors along one of the walls, which used to function when the old room was also the match-day lounge for directors. The sense of history is powerful. These walls have absorbed a lot of expensive cigar smoke and incredible hush-hush stories.

Gazidis's words on the afternoon of 6 June broke so sharply with tradition as to be startling and those that say the club's chief executive always talks the talk in the close-season and that this was nothing new must have had their grey matter depleted by the stress of following Arsenal. This was different. Here was the measured and meticulous, legally-trained and naturally cautious Gazidis promising that Arsenal were ready to "compete with any club in the world" to sign the very top players.

The example that was put to him and which he acknowledged was feasible was Wayne Rooney, but there appeared to be few limits. "We can do some things which would excite you," Gazidis said. "We can think about all kinds of things." Those things, it has now transpired, include the offer of £40m to Liverpool for Luis Suárez.

Gazidis explained that the "escalation" of the club's "financial firepower" was the result of renegotiated commercial deals and, once the mental arithmetic was done, it was possible to see that Arsène Wenger stood to receive an extra £70m each year to spend on transfers. The manager already has a substantial slush fund.

Gazidis was bullish, supremely assured and the thing was that he wanted it to be so public, which is most un-Arsenal-like. One interpretation was that he had an A-lister lined up with which to wow the supporters. We now know that this was not the case, although it did emerge two weeks later that Arsenal had agreed personal terms in principle with the Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuaín, if not a fee with his employer.

It was easy to imagine that Gazidis was sending a message to Wenger, which ran along the following lines: 'I've done all I can on the commercial side. The financial platform is in place. Over to you. Please spend some money.'

Wenger has attempted to dilute the levels of expectation during the club's pre-season tour of east Asia. He has spoken of adding "one or two players who will give us something more," and of a difficult market in Europe, where there is "a lot of money and not many players." Yet the horse has bolted and, from Gazidis's and Wenger's point of view, there is an almighty rod to support the back.

Wenger's move for Suárez is sensational, not only because Arsenal have never paid a fee of more than the £15m they spent to take Andrey Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg in 2009. Suárez is the best player at a rival Premier League club; Liverpool have, unsurprisingly, blocked his sale and, as such, the situation has become strained. Arsenal know what it is like to lose their best player to a domestic rival, having been powerless to prevent Robin van Persie's transfer to Manchester United last summer. They intend to lace the boot to the other foot and do the kicking.

It is, though, the divisiveness which Suárez inspires that has spiced the tale. Some Arsenal fans see a player whose on-field indiscretions read like a crime-sheet and conclude that a club of their varnished-oak dignity ought to have nothing to do with him. But others prefer to focus on the talent that has put the 26-year-old in the world-class bracket; the touch, the balance, the vision, the goals. Watching Suárez live, when his off-the-ball movement can be fully appreciated, is one of the game's true pleasures.

Suárez is a family man, who is married to his childhood sweetheart and he is simply considered to be a nice bloke by his Liverpool team-mates. Those that know him from his previous clubs speak well of him, too. "He likes to laugh and he likes to joke," said Tottenham Hotspur's Jan Vertonghen, who played with Suárez at Ajax. The Arsenal captain, Thomas Vermaelen, also knows and respects him from the Dutch club.

There would be no issues in the Arsenal dressing room were Suárez to sign, partly because players are a worldly bunch, concerned purely with whether somebody will put it in for them. Almost to a man during the current tour, Arsenal's squad have spoken of their desire to see high quality additions. They would love it were Suárez to join.

There is also the school of thought that a player of Suárez's win-at-all-costs mentality is precisely what Arsenal need. The Uruguayan has admitted that something changes inside him when he crosses the white line and he feels the competitive juices; something that makes him prepared to push the boundaries of what is thought to be acceptable. Have Arsenal, trophyless since 2005, been guilty of being too nice? As an aside on morality in football (such as it is), it is remarkable how supporters can turn as soon as a player changes teams.

Arsenal will sit back to watch the effects of their bid. The next move must surely come from Suárez. The offer was of one pound over £40m and Arsenal have been encouraged to believe that it will trigger a clause in Suárez's contract whereby he is permitted to seek the transfer. Arsenal's inclusion of the extra £1 felt provocative.

Liverpool maintain that they must merely inform Suárez of the interest in the event of a club bidding more than £40m for him, although it is a stretch to think that he does not already know about it. In that case, the clause would appear pointless and Suárez's agent, Pere Guardiola, would surely not have bothered to insert it.

Wenger is rolling the dice hard for a player who will be banned for the first six domestic matches of the season, a carry-over from his punishment last April for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic. Wenger has spoken of a potentially more "open" title race, with the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea adjusting to new managers and the move for Suárez reflects the desire to capitalise.

Conspiracy theorists have also seen it as a final roll, as Wenger enters the last season of his contract. He suggested in May that he knew Sir Alex Ferguson would retire at the end of the season as soon as he paid £24m to take Van Persie to Old Trafford. Wenger's words have come to feature a rich sub-text.

What is clear, however, is that the consequences of Arsenal failing to land a marquee target are unthinkable. The nightmare scenario for them sees Rooney moving to Chelsea, Higuaín going to Napoli, and Madrid, having bided their time, nipping in to get Suárez next month. Arsenal's new era is not free of uncertainty.

this is an article from the guardian this afternoon. i think its spot on. its a brilliant read and covers the suarez issue very well IMO

Shaqiri Is Boss
24-07-2013, 10:09 PM
tonights daily mirror are saying that for the first time liverpool have admitted he is for sale but at 50 million only.

thats their first position weakened, by saying he is for sale has weakened them massively even if they say for 50 million only. next step is a transfer request, weakens them further. i reckon he will go around 45 million
Our position hasn't changed; we have said [never directly obviously, officially he's not for sale... ha] that we would consider bids of around £50m. In fact I just read an article from the end of May which is playing pretty much how it is now; we would consider bids of around £50m, he has a clause in his contract at £40m that allows him to speak to other clubs if he so wishes but he would have to put in a transfer request to force our hand.

Whether we get that or not, who knows. We probably won't, and we probably never expected to.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 10:11 PM
So provided the people who disagree with you remain silent all is well? It can be left at that?

It's a generous offer, I'll have to think about it.

Feel free to try and sugarcoat Suarez if you wish. I've said it's hypocritcal. You especially shouldn't be preaching about bigger ethical issues if you're able to whitewash this.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Our position hasn't changed; we have said [never directly obviously, officially he's not for sale... ha] that we would consider bids of around £50m. In fact I just read an article from the end of May which is playing pretty much how it is now; we would consider bids of around £50m, he has a clause in his contract at £40m that allows him to speak to other clubs if he so wishes but he would have to put in a transfer request to force our hand.

Whether we get that or not, who knows. We probably won't, and we probably never expected to.

i think though if liverpool expected bids, they would be from madrid or barcelona and they would pay the silly money. i dont think they ever imagined that the only serious bid, one which activvates the clause, would come from Arsenal. nor that suarez would want to talk to them, seem open to joining them. (which i believe he is otherwise he wouldnt want to talk us at all)

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:15 PM
independent going with the story that suarez and his people believe it is a release clause not a clause that they can talk to him

The Liverpool striker Luis Suarez is expected to tell Brendan Rodgers tomorrow that he wants to speak officially to Arsenal about a move following their bid of £40m plus £1, which the player believes obliges Liverpool to sell.

Suarez and his agent, Pere Guardiola, brother of the Bayern Munich manager Pep, have worked on the understanding that a clause in the player’s contract states that Liverpool’s failure this season to secure Champions League football means any bid in excess of £40m from a club in the competition would require Liverpool to sell the player. They are mystified as to why Liverpool have rejected the Arsenal bid out of hand.

In private, Arsenal believe that the offer is adequate for them to be allowed to talk to Suarez. They made the bid specifically on the understanding that it would force the issue.

The Gunners are set to miss out on their second option, the Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain, as he and Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina both passed their medicals with Napoli today. While there are obvious fears that Higuain moving to Italy could trigger a bid from Real for Suarez – leaving Arsenal hunting for a new striker – the Uruguayan’s position is that he does not have a preference for Madrid. Arsenal are aware that they are playing a delicate game of negotiation but are confident that they can get Suarez.

Napoli are thought to have an agreement with Real Madrid to buy Higuain for £31m, more than Arsenal have offered, with that deal now expected to be completed.

There is no guarantee that, even with the proceeds from Higuain’s sale, Madrid would outbid Arsenal for Suarez and, as is their way, the Spanish club would probably try to make one of their unwanted players part of the deal.

A day of tension between the two Premier League clubs ended with Suarez making his first appearance for Liverpool – on tour in Melbourne, Australia – since he bit Branislav Ivanovic on the arm at Anfield on 21 April. A 72nd-minute substitute, he set up the second goal for Iago Aspas in a 2-0 Liverpool win over Melbourne Victory in front of 95,446 fans at the MCG.

After the game, Rodgers said he was not surprised that a player of Suarez’s calibre should attract big-money offers from rival clubs but that the Uruguayan should remember how the Liverpool fans have stuck by him despite all the controversy that has engulfed him at times.

“I think the support that he’s received from the supporters and the people of the city of Liverpool has been unrivalled,” Rodgers said.

“In the period of time, he’s missed a lot of games for the club through various reasons. And the people have stood by him like a son and really looked after him.

“So I’m sure whatever happens in the coming weeks, that will be in his mind because it’s certainly something you can never forget.”

The expectation is that the player will tell Liverpool that he wants to leave and would accept a move to Arsenal. Should an offer of that size, or greater, be accepted by Liverpool it would break Arsenal’s record transfer fee by some margin. The club’s record transfer has never been clear but is thought to be the 2009 deal for Andrei Arshavin, worth more than £15m.

In response to Arsenal’s offer, the principal owner of Liverpool, John W Henry, provoked a considerable response when he tweeted: “What do you think they’re smoking over there at Emirates?” The club have stated consistently that Suarez, who is four games into a 10-match ban for biting Ivanovic, is not for sale and it is clear that if he is to leave then it will require the player to force the situation.

Beyond Suarez and Higuain, Arsenal have a much-reduced set of options, possibly including the Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko. Wayne Rooney, another target, is the focus of Chelsea’s remaining activity in the window and they have always been determined to out-bid Arsenal for the player should Manchester United consent to sell.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 10:19 PM
i think though if liverpool expected bids, they would be from madrid or barcelona and they would pay the silly money. i dont think they ever imagined that the only serious bid, one which activvates the clause, would come from Arsenal. nor that suarez would want to talk to them, seem open to joining them. (which i believe he is otherwise he wouldnt want to talk us at all)

Don't rule out Madrid just yet. They've got more money from the Higuain sale. It seems as though most news stories are pointing towards the signing of Bale and let's hope it stays that way.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Don't rule out Madrid just yet. They've got more money from the Higuain sale. It seems as though most news stories are pointing towards the signing of Bale and let's hope it stays that way.

yeah i think they will go for bale first, felt all summer he has been their target, actually felt that ever since they set up that partnership with spurs last summer.

i alos wouldnt be surprised if liverpool sold suarez to madrid for less then they want from us

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:25 PM
also isnt it nice that for once, a summer saga is us buying someone elses best player not us selling ours? it feels quite odd, a good odd though. hope it stays like this for many years

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Feel free to try and sugarcoat Suarez if you wish. I've said it's hypocritcal. You especially shouldn't be preaching about bigger ethical issues if you're able to whitewash this.

Whitewash? Bit racist.

But I'm okay with going along with your plan and ignoring everything except the football. Cheers for suggesting it, your whitewash is much better than mine.

LDG
24-07-2013, 10:27 PM
I do hope we are working on other deals which are a little more sensible.

This all just seems so un-arsenal.

I personally would relish the signing of Bernard, and bringing Cesc home (if we can find a way).

Then maybe a few squad fillers.

GP
24-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Seems there's some 3rd party ownership deal with Bernard, which could prevent him coming to England.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:30 PM

I personally would relish the signing of Bernard, and bringing Cesc home (if we can find a way).

bringing cesc home would be awesome, that depnds on united though. they get a bid accepted, im certain wenger will step in and get him. especially for 25 million.

it does seem un arsenal you are right, but i think we could do with just three signings. bernard, cesc, suarez. i do rate our current squad, it just needs that extra world class quality. cesc and suarez give that, bernard is just a better gervinho.

if we get cesc and suarez this window, we win the league.

LDG
24-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Seems there's some 3rd party ownership deal with Bernard, which could prevent him coming to England.

Bugger :(

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:32 PM
both the telegraph and independant are tonight reporting that suarez and his camp are convinced the 40 million clause, is that any bid of 40 million or above from a club in he champions league must be accepted and are mystified liverpool rejected it.

tribunal anyone?

Özim
24-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Pretty much agree, Suarez deal isn't realistic.

Not too fussed about Cesc but Bernard would be a good exciting signing for me.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Pretty much agree, Suarez deal isn't realistic.

Not too fussed about Cesc but Bernard would be a good exciting signing for me.

has anyone done a u turn quicker then you? before yesterday you wanted world class players and wenger to spend the money. after the 40 million bid for suarez, you dont want us to spend the money on a world class striker but instead now sign bernard, who no one knows much about and most i reckon havnt heard of him before the links appeared this week. you've gone from wanting world class players and spending the money to devolping exciting talent in 24 hours. impressive

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Exactly right. If (when) the Suarez deal falls through there better be other options or it will be a tough season. Suarez alone won't be able to make up a 16 points so there needs to be more activity anyway.

Özim
24-07-2013, 10:41 PM
has anyone done a u turn quicker then you? before yesterday you wanted world class players and wenger to spend the money. after the 40 million bid for suarez, you dont want us to spend the money on a world class striker but instead now sign bernard, who no one knows much about and most i reckon havnt heard of him before the links appeared this week. you've gone from wanting world class players and spending the money to devolping exciting talent in 24 hours. impressive
FFS do you never ever read what others write?

How many times do I have to explain the same thing?

Edinburgh Gooner
24-07-2013, 10:43 PM
It doesn't help matters when chief negotiator wenger is in the far east. And Gazidis aswell. I know dick law is meant to be dealing with transfer negotiations, but wenger needs to be there for the final persuasion.

GP
24-07-2013, 10:44 PM
It doesn't help matters when chief negotiator wenger is in the far east. And Gazidis aswell. I know dick law is meant to be dealing with transfer negotiations, but wenger needs to be there for the final persuasion.

Well Suarez is in Australia anyway...

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:44 PM
FFS do you never ever read what others write?

How many times do I have to explain the same thing?

its quite clear what going from saying "you are lving in cloud cuckoo land, wenger would never bid 40 million for a player" to "what the fuck wenger, dont spend 40 million on one player. spend less and get more players in"

last week, i said suarez wasnt worth more then 40 million, you said that was the going rate for world class strikers. you also said, when i was syaing it was wise to buy three players last year, taht it wasnt, that we needed a world class striker and that you prefered to watch world class players then devolping players.

you are now saying the exact opposite. you've changed completely as soon as one story came out. its very clear what you are doing

Özim
24-07-2013, 10:47 PM
its quite clear what going from saying "you are lving in cloud cuckoo land, wenger would never bid 40 million for a player" to "what the fuck wenger, dont spend 40 million on one player. spend less and get more players in"

last week, i said suarez wasnt worth more then 40 million, you said that was the going rate for world class strikers. you also said, when i was syaing it was wise to buy three players last year, taht it wasnt, that we needed a world class striker and that you prefered to watch world class players then devolping players.

you are now saying the exact opposite. you've changed completely as soon as one story came out. its very clear what you are doing
1) Suarez is not happening
2) Don't want him anyway as don't want us to blow our entire budget on one player
3) Prefer slightly cheaper players who are still top class
4) Bernard is exciting, he's Brazilian, skillful and I've always wanted us to sign a proper Brazilian

I never said 40 million was the going rate for Suarez you made that up, I said we won't pay the going rate for players which we won't (look at the players we've missed out on due to penny pinching - this doesn't have to be on ridiculous megabucks deals). The going rate for Suarez is 55 million anyway, ask Liverpool.

Edinburgh Gooner
24-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Well Suarez is in Australia anyway...

exactly lol. media bs.

Özim
24-07-2013, 10:49 PM
exactly lol. media bs.
Someone convince Ollie please.....

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:50 PM
1) Suarez is not happening
2) Don't want him anyway as don't want us to blow our entire budget on one player
3) Prefer slightly cheaper players who are still top class
4) Bernard is exciting, he's Brazilian, skillful and I've always wanted us to sign a proper Brazilian

I never said 40 million was the going rate for Suarez you made that up, I said we won't pay the going rate for players which we won't. The going rate for Suarez is 55 million anyway, ask Liverpool.

1. something clearly is happening given we met a "clause" and bid 40 million.
2. you dont want him because that means you would have to admit wenger has proved you wrong and spent big so you changing your arugment to one you have never ever mentioned when talking about suarez so wenger continues to be wrong in your eyes
3. bollocks. you've said you wanted world class players not top class ones. stop shifting goalposts
4. i dont know much about him, how much do you know? seen him before?

going rate is not 55 million. until we find out what this cluase is, its up in the air.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Whitewash? Bit racist.

But I'm okay with going along with your plan and ignoring everything except the football. Cheers for suggesting it, your whitewash is much better than mine.

Don't sulk and get childish because your argument has been debunked.

There is no point in trying to make out as if what he did was a minor or point to bigger issues in life. Trying to downplay it would be wrong and if the club took that approach it would be highly embarrassing. It would be a mistake to do what Liverpool did.

The best way to deal with racism and ignorance in general is integration so I'm not suggesting we ostracise him from the club. You can't ignore it but don't go one better by trying to sugarcoat it as small 'tiff'. That's corrupt and the sort of thing Blatter has been doing for far too long.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 10:53 PM

have you ever heard of a telephone?

Özim
24-07-2013, 10:55 PM
1. something clearly is happening given we met a "clause" and bid 40 million.
2. you dont want him because that means you would have to admit wenger has proved you wrong and spent big so you changing your arugment to one you have never ever mentioned when talking about suarez so wenger continues to be wrong in your eyes
3. bollocks. you've said you wanted world class players not top class ones. stop shifting goalposts
4. i dont know much about him, how much do you know? seen him before?

going rate is not 55 million. until we find out what this cluase is, its up in the air.
1. Nothing will happen, Suarez will have a chat (if this BS is even true, with some random person at the club as everyone's away :lol:) then eventually it will all go pearshaped and we can go back to living our normal lives
2. I don't want him because it's way too much money for us to spend on one player when we need 3-4, I've told you this about 10 times now!
3. You don't have to pay 40 million for world class players
4. He's Brazilian, he's skillful, haven't seen much of him however skillful Brazilians are always something to get excited about...once upon a time we almost signed Juninho but got pipped by Middlesborough, was really disappointed.

Edinburgh Gooner
24-07-2013, 10:56 PM

business is done better face to face

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 11:00 PM
1. Nothing will happen, Suarez will have a chat (if this BS is even true, with some random person at the club as everyone's away :lol:) then eventually it will all go pearshaped and we can go back to living our normal lives
2. I don't want him because it's way too much money for us to spend on one player when we need 3-4, I've told you this about 10 times now!
3. You don't have to pay 40 million for world class players
4. He's Brazilian, he's skillful, haven't seen much of him however skillful Brazilians are always something to get excited about...once upon a time we almost signed Juninho but got pipped by Middlesborough, was really disappointed.

the amount of times you call wenger deluded etc for taking gambles on unknown players and you are now advocating getting an a brazilian player, who you admit you haven't much of, becuase he might be skilful instead of signing proven world class players.

ridiculous shifting of goalposts. shit wumming. I'm done

Özim
24-07-2013, 11:02 PM
the amount of times you call wenger deluded etc for taking gambles on unknown players and you are now advocating getting an a brazilian player, who you admit you haven't much of, becuase he might be skilful instead of signing proven world class players.

ridiculous shifting of goalposts. shit wumming. I'm done
Wenger buys cheap unheard of nobodies from France, there's a big difference. This guy is neither cheap, nor unknown plus he's from Brazil not France.

You're the wum pal, going on about this ridiculous charade all the time, the stories you post about Suarez on here are just ridiculous a lot of the time.

When this all goes wrong as it invariably will, be prepared to disappear off with your tail between your legs like you should have when the Higuain thing went pearshaped...after all you said he was signed didn't you?

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Some people are against getting Suarez cos they think he's a racist. He's not obviously. As for Adams and Merson which you originally brought up by the way, I'm just trying to make the point that if people are against Suarez coming here, what was the reaction to Adams and Merson cos what they did was far worse? Doubt they wanted them to fuck off. It's hypocrisy.

For me personally, Suarezs talent n the pitch comes before anything and we need him

Shaqiri Is Boss
24-07-2013, 11:08 PM
This is like our RVP situation. I'm just waiting for the statement...

Selling our best player to a rival who right now is aiming for the same thing [you can say the title, but it's top 4 really] and who will improve you no end.

And before you laugh at the "rival" part, in the last 3 seasons we've finished closer to you than you have to United, so it's not as farfetched a comparison.

It'd certainly be a step up for him financially as well as footballistically, but, and don't take this the wrong way, I'm not sure it is enough of a step up given he's coming into the prime of his career. Unless he's already tried and failed to entice bigger clubs ie: Madrid, it just seems an odd choice. Not to mention given the bullshit excuses about wanting to leave the country, and before getting to how odd it is for you as a club.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Wenger buys cheap unheard of nobodies from France, there's a big difference. This guy is neither cheap, nor unknown plus he's from Brazil not France.

You're the wum pal, going on about this ridiculous charade all the time, the stories you post about Suarez on here are just ridiculous a lot of the time.

When this all goes wrong as it invariably will, be prepared to disappear off with your tail between your legs like you should have when the Higuain thing went pearshaped...after all you said he was signed didn't you?

ill make a deal with you. if we dont get suarez, ill leave because i was wrong and wenger made me guliable etc. if we get him, you leave because you said wenger would never ever bid 40 million or indeed pay 40 million for a single player

and your arugment that he is from brazil and not france is just complete and utter bullshit. theirry henry was from france, julio baptista was from brazil. and price proves nothing, and he kind of is unknown given you hadnt heard much of him. defintion of unknown that

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Don't sulk and get childish because your argument has been debunked.

There is no point in trying to make out as if what he did was a minor or point to bigger issues in life. Trying to downplay it would be wrong and if the club took that approach it would be highly embarrassing. It would be a mistake to do what Liverpool did.

The best way to deal with racism and ignorance in general is integration so I'm not suggesting we ostracise him from the club. You can't ignore it but don't go one better by trying to sugarcoat it as small 'tiff'. That's corrupt and the sort of thing Blatter has been doing for far too long.

You know all that stuff you just said? All created by you, nowhere do you see any of that coming from me. I didn't say it was minor, I responded to your criticism of Arsenal fans - who by your measure are hypocrites because they want Suarez at the club. All I was saying is it's a little bit massively hypocritical of you to berate them while managing to miss almost 100% of the problems yourself in favour of focusing in on an issue that has been highlighted and dealt with. Admittedly you finally addressed this by suggesting all that sort of stuff was me talking shit. In some ways you could say your downplayed, whitewashed, sugar coated the big picture, which is not to say the little picture hasn't got some significance. Hence the toothpaste thing (and I meant what I said about teeth). Then you suggested we all move on by ignoring everything bar the football, or at least you urged the fans you had previously blasted to brush aside everything bar the fact Suarez has football talent. This again perked my suspicion you were on some sort of Huttonesque mission to stick a pencil in both your eyes to avoid witnessing the inevitable outcome of your own argument.

I think your idea of integrating racists into the team for their own good is an excellent way forward. If we can stamp football out of racism, or even do it the other way around, I'm all for it.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:10 PM

No

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:11 PM
business is done better face to face

Or with a gun.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:13 PM

Well you must admit if this crazy Suarez thing comes off the all those claims of Wenger being afraid to spend money are shot down.

Özim
24-07-2013, 11:14 PM
ill make a deal with you. if we dont get suarez, ill leave because i was wrong and wenger made me guliable etc. if we get him, you leave because you said wenger would never ever bid 40 million or indeed pay 40 million for a single player

and your arugment that he is from brazil and not france is just complete and utter bullshit. theirry henry was from france, julio baptista was from brazil. and price proves nothing, and he kind of is unknown given you hadnt heard much of him. defintion of unknown that
Leave? :lol:

I'm not leaving anything, plus I don't want you to leave, you give me a reason to post with your stories!

The point is you post this sensationalist BS all the time and it never f*cking happens, you've already done it this summer but never seem to learn. Suarez isn't coming I said Wenger will never buy a 40 million pound player and he won't because this deal will go pearshaped.

If you think this will happen more fool you.

You going back to signings from a decade ago, Henry wasn't unknown at all he was a big name after the World Cup. As for Baps, yeah not a typical Brazilian as I said, he had no skill. The best Brazilians are the skillful ones.

Özim
24-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Well you must admit if this crazy Suarez thing comes off the all those claims of Wenger being afraid to spend money are shot down.
Yeah it will, funnily enough I'm not worried, are you?

The only difference between this summer and previous ones if we came out and said we have big money, so now the press have got that between their teeth and we can use that to our advantage, other than that it's just the same.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:18 PM

Selling our best player to a rival who right now is aiming for the same thing [you can say the title, but it's top 4 really] and who will improve you no end.

And before you laugh at the "rival" part, in the last 3 seasons we've finished closer to you than you have to United, so it's not as farfetched a comparison.

It'd certainly be a step up for him financially as well as footballistically, but, and don't take this the wrong way, I'm not sure it is enough of a step up given he's coming into the prime of his career. Unless he's already tried and failed to entice bigger clubs ie: Madrid, it just seems an odd choice. Not to mention given the bullshit excuses about wanting to leave the country, and before getting to how odd it is for you as a club.

Two things. If you demand anything from £40,000,002 up the deal will be off anyway. And this could definitely be a stepping stone for Suarez. If he wants Madrid then a season in the CL with us might be just the ticket. Could even be why we are touting such huge figures, because we could make even more next year.

In the end though this will be about what Liverpool want. If you don't want to sell you don't have to sell.

Ollie the Optimist
24-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Leave? :lol:

I'm not leaving anything, plus I don't want you to leave, you give me a reason to post with your stories!

The point is you post this sensationalist BS all the time and it never f*cking happens, you've already done it this summer but never seem to learn. Suarez isn't coming I said Wenger will never buy a 40 million pound player and he won't because this deal will go pearshaped.

If you think this will happen more fool you.

You going back to signings from a decade ago, Henry wasn't unknown at all he was a big name after the World Cup. As for Baps, yeah not a typical Brazilian as I said, he had no skill. The best Brazilians are the skillful ones.

the current brazilian side arent exactly that skilful, compared to the old days. even england beat them FFS and we had phil jones playing in midfield. just because you are brazilian and cost 20 million doesnt make you skilful. you also cant complain about wenger gambling on players and not spending on proven world class ones and then change to lets get an exciting brazilian talent in and devolp him and not buy a world class striker.

you may not like what i post, but at least i stick to it, and keep changing my argument whenver something else happens and means i might be wrong like you do.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Yeah it will, funnily enough I'm not worried, are you?

The only difference between this summer and previous ones if we came out and said we have big money, so now the press have got that between their teeth and we can use that to our advantage, other than that it's just the same.

Well it would be great if our skinflints have finally pigged themselves out enough to kick something back. Would rather they build a title challenging team than blow it all on one player, but I won't argue about it if some of those millions finally start coming back to the fans. But £40mill+ and then maybe £20mill on top in wages? I don't think I'll even believe it if I see it.

Özim
24-07-2013, 11:26 PM
the current brazilian side arent exactly that skilful, compared to the old days. even england beat them FFS and we had phil jones playing in midfield. just because you are brazilian and cost 20 million doesnt make you skilful. you also cant complain about wenger gambling on players and not spending on proven world class ones and then change to lets get an exciting brazilian talent in and devolp him and not buy a world class striker.

you may not like what i post, but at least i stick to it, and keep changing my argument whenver something else happens and means i might be wrong like you do.
That's true but there's a few exceptions, Neymar being one and this guy being another. Yes England beat them but this side have now gone and thrashed Spain, friendlies mean f*ck all in the end.

20 million from a Brazilian team suggests he's pretty special to me otherwise his value would be much lower.

Again I want him to buy a world class striker, but I want to see 3-4 players this summer, not one. If we signed one player I wouldn't be happy because this won't make us anywhere near good enough to challenge, 3-4 players however could. This is the reason I'd rather we bought someone world class up front for less leaving money for other signings.

I don't change my argument, you just think I do for some reason, my stance has never changed and throughout my time I've never advocated spending 40 million on a player, I just wanted quality players to come in (a few of them).

Özim
24-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Well it would be great if our skinflints have finally pigged themselves out enough to kick something back. Would rather they build a title challenging team than blow it all on one player, but I won't argue about it if some of those millions finally start coming back to the fans. But £40mill+ and then maybe £20mill on top in wages? I don't think I'll even believe it if I see it.
True and I'm the same I'd rather see a few players, but it would be better than not spending a penny or bringing in cheap nobodies at least.

Again I agree, I'll believe it when I see it, seem unfeasible we'd go from penny pinching to suddenly blowing 75+ million on one guy when we had a top striker last summer and couldn't keep him.

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 11:29 PM

What else do you have?

@NQ

My original post. It was never a criticism of those that wanted to sigh him. It's of those that are willing to downplay his actions because we're now linked with him. I said from the start that itergration is a better argument. Don't act as if you weren't Dow playing it either.

Özil's Panoramic View
24-07-2013, 11:30 PM
bringing cesc home would be awesome, that depnds on united though. they get a bid accepted, im certain wenger will step in and get him. especially for 25 million.

it does seem un arsenal you are right, but i think we could do with just three signings. bernard, cesc, suarez. i do rate our current squad, it just needs that extra world class quality. cesc and suarez give that, bernard is just a better gervinho.

if we get cesc and suarez this window, we win the league.

Seriously, Ollie, wtf are you on?

Cripps_orig
24-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Seriously, Ollie, wtf are you on?

:lol:

You'll get used to it.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2013, 11:37 PM
@NQ

My original post. It was never a criticism of those that wanted to sigh him. It's of those that are willing to downplay his actions because we're now linked with him. I said from the start that itergration is a better argument. Don't act as if you weren't Dow playing it either.

Where have people been downplaying his actions since this transfer business began? Which people?

Power n Glory
24-07-2013, 11:48 PM

What else do you have?

Really?

Yep, he killed 6 million Jews which proves it.

Where have people been downplaying his actions since this transfer business began? Which people?

Just you and Cripps really.

It's late.

Kano
24-07-2013, 11:55 PM

i don't think liverpool in their current state are a rival to us but i certainly understand why the owners/directors of the club believe that is the case and want to charge accordingly. 40m won't be enough. it sounds ridiculous to say we are trying to it on the cheap but essentially, we are.

fair play, i commend anyone who tries to bargain a cheap(er) deal because you get f all without trying and in most commercial cases you are being ripped off anyway. but when it comes to a situation like this, you can't lowball. these are the sort of transfers that break domestic records. so 50m is closer to the mark - and before anyone pipes in to say "yeah but he isn't worth that" - well no, of course not. but that's not the point. nor how it works.

utd, city and chelsea are the teams who have historically come in an taken a 'rivals' best player. not on the minimum cost when the player has a good part of his contract still to run. you can't get the deal that way. it's pretty shit to supposedly trigger some sort of clause and then hope he kicks up such a fuss they want to pass the hot potato. all that would happen with suarez is the same situation developing now, at the emirates in two seasons max.

so it all leads back to the suspicions of this being a legit offer with real intent behind it, or another cosmetic powder puff fluff up in the same vein as higuain.

3 weeks until the season starts and for all the big, brave talk of affording the market rate wages, it has just remained that. talk. no commitment. and no change.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-07-2013, 12:14 AM
:lol: people fully debating suarez and he hasnt even joined yet

what a mess.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Just you and Cripps really.

It's late.

So considering I only responded to your post bashing fans, what really happened was you got well and truly WUMmed by Cripps?

bunsco
25-07-2013, 05:52 AM

Really?

Yes.

In regards to the fact that being a druggie or a drunk are both personal traits/decisions players do in their own time away from the game that impact ONLY on the person themselves (and close family/friends), and although not ideal in a PR sense does come remotely close to damaging the reputation of a club than a player doing a Suarez or Terry.

Would it be OK if we returned to 'the good ol days' of the 70s/early 80s where 'a couple of insulting words' was "just part of the game" - just as long as we get a world class player on board.

Fuck, the guys probably not gonna join us anyway, but I'm disturbed by the acceptance here by his behaviour - as someone stated earlier - would you be clambering for him if it was one of our players he abused?

bunsco
25-07-2013, 06:12 AM

Mmm... Good one - though I don't know what comparing racist statements to murder etc has anything remotely to do with football. Where as racism - or even racial acceptance/tolerance - has everything to do with the game

No ones had a lengthy 12 plus game ban for mass genocide or any other totally irrelevant example you care to trivialise the point with.

Whether you like it or not, it is important - we traditionally have made a point of signing not only the player but also the person when getting a player. And although you don't have to be an angel, surely getting a head case who's always a moment away from a lengthy ban isn't worth 'overlooking' -regardless of how good he his.

bunsco
25-07-2013, 06:19 AM

See ya point, but come on, context now eh?

bunsco
25-07-2013, 06:27 AM

what a mess.

Guilty as charged and :gp: time to move on......til he joins :o

Letters
25-07-2013, 06:40 AM
ill make a deal with you. if we dont get suarez, ill leave because i was wrong and wenger made me guliable etc. if we get him, you leave because you said wenger would never ever bid 40 million
The very definition of win win

:patrice:

LDG
25-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Mmm... Good one - though I don't know what comparing racist statements to murder etc has anything remotely to do with football. Where as racism - or even racial acceptance/tolerance - has everything to do with the game

No ones had a lengthy 12 plus game ban for mass genocide or any other totally irrelevant example you care to trivialise the point with.

Whether you like it or not, it is important - we traditionally have made a point of signing not only the player but also the person when getting a player. And although you don't have to be an angel, surely getting a head case who's always a moment away from a lengthy ban isn't worth 'overlooking' -regardless of how good he his.

Bloody right. And bloody well put :gp:

So far as the game goes, professional footballers, awash with all of their gold, are bad enough at the best of times. Let alone racism and premeditated biting. The game is plummeting to new depths of ignorance, greed and lack of morals, season upon season.

Arsenal are far removed from where they used to be. A club with a bit of class, who did things the right way. I understand that we have to move with the times (from a football and business point of view). But I'd rather 11 Arteta's or Mertesecker's and just be Arsenal FC, than tolerate a **** like that.

Of course, it's natural for a fan to grow to worship a player. It's part and parcel of the game. If Suarez were to sign, and score the winnner against the spuds, I'm sure I'd dance around like a loon. He would have scored a goal. The goal is what I'm celebrating, not necessarily the personality.

I'll still reserve my right to think that this clown is an ignorant, arrogant racist.

Özim
25-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Luis Suarez: Brendan Rodgers dismisses £40m Arsenal bid

Arsenal are not "anywhere near" matching Liverpool's valuation of striker Luis Suarez, according to Reds manager Brendan Rodgers.

Liverpool rejected an Arsenal club-record bid of £40m plus £1, but Suarez wants to talk to the London club.

The approach triggered a clause in his contract that means he has been told of the bid and can now talk to Arsenal.

"If Arsenal want the player they have to produce the value for the player," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo.

"There was an offer a few weeks ago of £35m and two weeks later it is now £40m and £1. I don't think it is anywhere near the value of what he is worth.

"It is two-fold really. A player may want to go, but then somebody has to pay the value or worth of that player."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23446686

Munchies
25-07-2013, 08:16 AM
If Suarez hands in a transfer request, that frees up a £5m signing fee from Liverpool.
£40m from us.

£45m in total, get Fellaini, and title is ours.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2013, 08:18 AM

what a mess.

Let's face it, he'll probably need his own thread during a season anyway.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2013, 08:20 AM
It's down to Suarez really to force a move because it doesn't look like Liverpool are going to budge. If they're going to strengthen the team they need to usurp for the top 4, they're right to demand top dollar.

Özim
25-07-2013, 08:21 AM
If Suarez hands in a transfer request, that frees up a £5m signing fee from Liverpool.
£40m from us.

£45m in total, get Fellaini, and title is ours.
The 5 million won't make a difference, it doesn't make it a 45 million deal at all, they don't want him to go so don't count that 5 million as part of the deal (that's Ollie's theory). We're going to have to pay a lot more if we want him.

I doubt very much we will.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2013, 08:21 AM
The very definition of win win

:patrice:

:popcorn:

Make it happen. We need a contract signing and everything.

LDG
25-07-2013, 08:25 AM
The 5 million won't make a difference, it doesn't make it a 45 million deal at all, they don't want him to go so don't count that 5 million as part of the deal (that's Ollie's theory). We're going to have to pay a lot more if we want him.

I doubt very much we will.

All depends on whether another team comes in for him really. That's what Liverpool are trying to do by being so open. They're inviting others to start a bidding war.

If nobody else is interested, they'll be pushed into a corner, very much like we were with Fabregas and Barca. They'll not want to miss the chance to get a good fee, even if it's not the best they could possibly get.

Don't forget they have to replace the racist bastard too.

Özim
25-07-2013, 08:29 AM
All depends on whether another team comes in for him really. That's what Liverpool are trying to do by being so open. They're inviting others to start a bidding war.

If nobody else is interested, they'll be pushed into a corner, very much like we were with Fabregas and Barca. They'll not want to miss the chance to get a good fee, even if it's not the best they could possibly get.

Don't forget they have to replace the racist bastard too.
I think they can hold onto him for another year personally, he has 3 years left so they're in a strong position. They could probably convince him that next year he can get his dream move to Real for example rather than stay in England (which he said he didn't want to do).

You can usually convince a player to give it one more year if you promise to let him go the following season.

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 08:32 AM
I think they can hold onto him for another year personally, he has 3 years left so they're in a strong position. They could probably convince him that next year he can get his dream move to Real for example rather than stay in England (which he said he didn't want to do).

You can usually convince a player to give it one more year if you promise to let him go the following season.

They’d be a playing a dangerous game if they try that. He could go all ‘Bay Harbour Butcher’ in Merseyside and start picking up lengthier bans.

Özim
25-07-2013, 08:34 AM
There is the fact they've supported him fully throughout the troubles, which will count in their favour with him I think.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm not so sure, not in a World Cup year.

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not so sure, not in a World Cup year.

u r gay won't make the world cup.

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 08:44 AM
There is the fact they've supported him fully throughout the troubles, which will count in their favour with him I think.

Credit to him if he does stick by them. Most players wouldn't.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2013, 08:45 AM
u r gay won't make the world cup.

Well they'd get a pub team in the play-off as it stands.

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Well they'd get a pub team in the play-off as it stands.

they have the hardest run in amongst all the people in the group

Uzbekistan will be hard away from home and their play off record is far from good, they missed out in 06 against a weak australian side and only narrowly beat costa rica in 2010, uzbekistan are much stronger than costa rica.

GP
25-07-2013, 08:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vaVt0U8.gif

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2013, 09:02 AM
they have the hardest run in amongst all the people in the group

Uzbekistan will be hard away from home and their play off record is far from good, they missed out in 06 against a weak australian side and only narrowly beat costa rica in 2010, uzbekistan are much stronger than costa rica.

It's more likely Ecuador, Argentina and Colombia will be qualified by the time they've played all three.

It doesn't really work out often that A is better than B so that means they will beat C.

JonasTC
25-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Wasnt sure if this was the right place to put this, but just to put it in perspective to those people who rather wanted us to go for a "cheaper" Higuain. The numbers im getting in danish media is we put in a 347mil dkk bid (40mil) for Suarez and Higuain went for 350-400mil dkk (which i guess is 40-45ish) - If those prices are correct, would people still want Higuain or go for Suarez?

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 09:05 AM
It's more likely Ecuador, Argentina and Colombia will be qualified by the time they've played all three.

It doesn't really work out often that A is better than B so that means they will beat C.

the altitude will mean Ecuador will be borderline impossible to beat.

Argentina is always tough

Colombia would probably still need some points

Peru away will be very tough

added to that this U r gay team are in very very poor form

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Wasnt sure if this was the right place to put this, but just to put it in perspective to those people who rather wanted us to go for a "cheaper" Higuain. The numbers im getting in danish media is we put in a 347mil dkk bid (40mil) for Suarez and Higuain went for 350-400mil dkk (which i guess is 40-45ish) - If those prices are correct, would people still want Higuain or go for Suarez?

would prefer jackson martinez and stephen el shaaarwy,

aren't milan broke? surely we should just go for el shaarwy

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Yeah it's probably not the best tactic to appeal to Suarezs moral side. We said the same with van Persie. If the player wants it. The player most likely will get it

McNamara That Ghost...
25-07-2013, 09:13 AM
the altitude will mean Ecuador will be borderline impossible to beat.

Argentina is always tough

Colombia would probably still need some points

Peru away will be very tough

added to that this U r gay team are in very very poor form

The problem with talking about tough run-ins and things is that it often forgets the teams the other teams they are competing against (in this case Peru and Venezuela have to play each other) and they can't both win.

It could be the case that above match happens and Uruguay face an already qualified Colombia.

In any case, this matters little in what I originally said about Suarez and the World Cup. He won't be stating 100% they won't be going there.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Marca are apparently reporting this morning that Madrid are happy with their strikers amd are not interested in Suarez

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes.

In regards to the fact that being a druggie or a drunk are both personal traits/decisions players do in their own time away from the game that impact ONLY on the person themselves (and close family/friends), and although not ideal in a PR sense does come remotely close to damaging the reputation of a club than a player doing a Suarez or Terry.

Would it be OK if we returned to 'the good ol days' of the 70s/early 80s where 'a couple of insulting words' was "just part of the game" - just as long as we get a world class player on board.

Fuck, the guys probably not gonna join us anyway, but I'm disturbed by the acceptance here by his behaviour - as someone stated earlier - would you be clambering for him if it was one of our players he abused?

Being a drunk driver only impacts themselves?

What if he had hit someone?

No one from what I've seen has accepted his behaviour. We all know it was wrong. It wouldn't stop me from wanting him here though cos firstly and most importantly he's a quality player

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Being a drunk driver only impacts themselves?

What if he had hit someone?

No one from what I've seen has accepted his behaviour. We all know it was wrong. It wouldn't stop me from wanting him here though cos firstly and most importantly he's a quality player

He was already our player and we didn't try to break our transfer record to get him after convicted. It's hard to compare the two.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 09:49 AM
So if Suarez was already our player and he said whAt he did then it would have been ok?

Slight hypocritical.

Shouldn't make a difference whether he was our player or not.

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 10:13 AM
So if Suarez was already our player and he said whAt he did then it would have been ok?

Slight hypocritical.

Shouldn't make a difference whether he was our player or not.

As said, you can’t compare the two and as addiction is a different ball park.

To stand by Adams through troubled times is one thing but imagine if club decided to run a ‘Free Adams’ T-Shirt campaign whilst he was doing time. You can support the player through troubled times, support the quality of their game without having to trivialise and downplay their wrong actions.

Özim
25-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah it's probably not the best tactic to appeal to Suarezs moral side. We said the same with van Persie. If the player wants it. The player most likely will get it
I think you said the same not "we" to be fair, but we were in a weak with Van Persie due to his contract length.

Kano
25-07-2013, 10:31 AM
so what's the message here about suarez?

that he's a massive racist and shouldn't be welcomed anywhere - i don't see what point any of this debate has led to.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-07-2013, 10:38 AM
he has made mistakes in the past just like any normal human

if he comes here he starts fresh as far as im concerned

under a proper tutor like wenger he'd curb his behaviour. under kenny and brendan he went awol cause they're both shite

wenger is still shite but less shite cause people admire him for his past glories. suarez needs a proper manager tbf

wenger :bow:

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Bloody right. And bloody well put :gp:

So far as the game goes, professional footballers, awash with all of their gold, are bad enough at the best of times. Let alone racism and premeditated biting. The game is plummeting to new depths of ignorance, greed and lack of morals, season upon season.

Arsenal are far removed from where they used to be. A club with a bit of class, who did things the right way. I understand that we have to move with the times (from a football and business point of view). But I'd rather 11 Arteta's or Mertesecker's and just be Arsenal FC, than tolerate a **** like that.

Of course, it's natural for a fan to grow to worship a player. It's part and parcel of the game. If Suarez were to sign, and score the winnner against the spuds, I'm sure I'd dance around like a loon. He would have scored a goal. The goal is what I'm celebrating, not necessarily the personality.

I'll still reserve my right to think that this clown is an ignorant, arrogant racist.

Dude, Arsenal just signed a deal with a Nigerian bank. This myth of us being classy has to stop.

Özim
25-07-2013, 10:43 AM
he has made mistakes in the past just like any normal human

if he comes here he starts fresh as far as im concerned

under a proper tutor like wenger he'd curb his behaviour. under kenny and brendan he went awol cause they're both shite

wenger is still shite but less shite cause people admire him for his past glories. suarez needs a proper manager tbf

wenger :bow:
Wenger curb his behaviour?

Can't see it myself, he let Barndoor get away with allsorts (headbutts, almost attacking a referee) has let his players run amok for years defending everything they do.

Suarez will probably become the new Joey Barton under this kind of discipline!

Özim
25-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Suarez is a very good player, but he's not as special as many people seem to think, I think his abilities are overexaggerated....he's no Zidane, Bergkamp or Henry and thus I'm not sure all the baggage and risk he brings with him is worth the hassle (especially when you consider the price tag attached to his name).

If he does this sh*t again he'll end up with a longer ban and his club will end up losing a key player for 3/4 of the season.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 10:47 AM
So we shouldn't get him cos hes not as good as some of the best players ever?

Don't think we're signing anyone ever again then

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 10:47 AM

that he's a massive racist and shouldn't be welcomed anywhere - i don't see what point any of this debate has led to.

He can be welcomed in without having to sugarcoat and play down his past. That’s all. As said, he could probably learn a thing or two playing for a club like Arsenal if he’s indeed that ignorant.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 10:51 AM

The point. When there's an overt problem (OMG! Everyone can SEE FFS!) people need to rapidly jump a bandwagon and be seen to be doing the easyright thing. But when the problem is covert it is best to stay out of sight and profit as quietly as possible. And if in the first case some people don't sing loudly enough then everyone else is entitled to call them a hypocrite.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Suarez is a very good player, but he's not as special as many people seem to think, I think his abilities are overexaggerated....he's no Zidane, Bergkamp or Henry and thus I'm not sure all the baggage and risk he brings with him is worth the hassle (especially when you consider the price tag attached to his name).

If he does this sh*t again he'll end up with a longer ban and his club will end up losing a key player for 3/4 of the season.

hes the second best striker in england and one of the best strikers in europe. thats all we need to know about his ability. he improves this team no end.

with regards to your comments about the ban, yes you are right. there is that risk. but i think its one we have to take, we need a world class striker, hes the only one left we can get. time to go big and be bold

Özim
25-07-2013, 10:53 AM
So we shouldn't get him cos hes not as good as some of the best players ever?

Don't think we're signing anyone ever again then
More because his price tag huge, he's likely to get himself banned and we'll have no money left for anyone else if we sign him and we need several players.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 10:56 AM
More because his price tag huge, he's likely to get himself banned and we'll have no money left for anyone else if we sign him and we need several players.

More chance of getting players if they see we are serious about challenging and getting one of the best in the world in regardless of the price will show that.

Right now, the likes of Fellaini etc wont choose us over Man Utd cos we have shown nothing to prove we are worth joining for. These players don't want the 4th place trophy.

Özim
25-07-2013, 10:57 AM
hes the second best striker in england and one of the best strikers in europe. thats all we need to know about his ability. he improves this team no end.

with regards to your comments about the ban, yes you are right. there is that risk. but i think its one we have to take, we need a world class striker, hes the only one left we can get. time to go big and be bold
2nd best striker in England, I don't agree.

Aguero is certainly better than he is, as is RVP.

Perhaps, still would be worried that would be the end of summer spending though due to the size of the transfer.

Özim
25-07-2013, 10:58 AM
More chance of getting players if they see we are serious about challenging and getting one of the best in the world in regardless of the price will show that.

Right now, the likes of Fellaini etc wont choose us over Man Utd cos we have shown nothing to prove we are worth joining for. These players don't want the 4th place trophy.
I agree with this, however we won't be seeing any of those players this summer and as good as Suarez is he won't be turning us into challengers for silverware by himself, last year we had RVP who bagged 39 goals and we still couldn't challenge.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Perhaps, still would be worried that would be the end of summer spending though due to the size of the transfer.
Aguero? :lol:

No chance. He wasn't even better than Tevez and Tevez didn't give a fuck for the last 18 months or so.

Suarez would have been top scorer last season bar his ban. I think he's the best striker in England and a must get

Letters
25-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Or would you just be worried that we've finally spent big on proper quality so you're pre-empting that with a bit of goalpost shifting before the fact so you can still complain about the transfer if it happens?

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:03 AM

rvp is the best striker in england, we all know that. but last season aguero hardly set the world alight. think in terms of goals scored suarez and rvp were top two. (just looked. suarez scored 11 more goals then aguero. 23 v 12)

i know you think our squad is shit and we need about 400 players to improve it, but i disagree. i think it needs jsut two or three genunie world class players. suarez and a world class midfielder and we are ready. how many world class players did united have last year? RVP for one. they just had very good players in other posistions, i think we are at that stage now. add two or three world class and we are ready.

and as cripps says above, its a statement. we havnt gone for the cheap option. 20 million for bernard, people look up, say not a bad player but dont take much more notice. get suarez for 40 million, people sit up and take notice. its a hell of statement

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Or would you just be worried that we've finally spent big on proper quality so you're pre-empting that with a bit of goalpost shifting before the fact so you can still complain about the transfer if it happens?
No.

Firstly let me clear this up again, I don't believe we'll sign him. If by some miracle we did yes I would be worried that our summer has been focussed on bringing just one player in when we've all known we need 3-4 quality players, a team is made up of more than one player and as I said Suarez would effectively be replacing RVP so we'd be nowhere near challenging.

Would it not be wiser to spend money on bringing several quality players to bring the general level of the team up, superstar signings are great for teams that already have a strong side as an additional strengthening of it, but for sides who need to build a team to get back up there sometimes it's better to spread your resources across the team a bit.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 11:04 AM
We are so far away from this Suarez deal it's painful. No fee agreed, no terms agreed with the player, legal arguments over clauses in contracts, the club don't want to sell, we aren't the player's first choice. This remains far and away the most unlikely signing of the window so far (unless we go and put in a bid for Rooney).

While this carnival is rolling on I haven't seen any mention of serious activity around any other player. That's a worry. Have we really put all our eggs in one basket and then balanced the basket at the edge of a cliff?

Power n Glory
The point. When there's an overt problem (OMG! Everyone can SEE FFS!) people need to rapidly jump a bandwagon and be seen to be doing the easyright thing. But when the problem is covert it is best to stay out of sight and profit as quietly as possible. And if in the first case some people don't sing loudly enough then everyone else is entitled to call them a hypocrite.

As said last week, you can’t trivialise the Evra and Suarez issue, brush it aside as minor and then talk about the MLK days and ‘real’ racism. With that sort of attitude, you never get to the root of the problem. You’ve got to combat racism on all levels otherwise it grows and you get scenes like what we saw with the England under 21 team in Eastern Europe.

Cripps_orig
Ffs zim, you're making me and Ollie agree.

Banning offence surely?

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I agree with this, however we won't be seeing any of those players this summer and as good as Suarez is he won't be turning us into challengers for silverware by himself, last year we had RVP who bagged 39 goals and we still couldn't challenge.

yes but look at the squad RVP played with to the one suarez would play with. just take the forward line. rap, chamkh, bentner theo. or suarez, theo, giroud, podolski.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 11:07 AM
yes but look at the squad RVP played with to the one suarez would play with. just take the forward line. rap, chamkh, bentner theo. or suarez, theo, giroud, podolski.

We also have a fit Wilshere, a defence that is finally showing some form.

We need players, of course but we're more of a team these days rather than a one man team when the **** was here

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:08 AM
rvp is the best striker in england, we all know that. but last season aguero hardly set the world alight. think in terms of goals scored suarez and rvp were top two. (just looked. suarez scored 11 more goals then aguero. 23 v 12)

i know you think our squad is shit and we need about 400 players to improve it, but i disagree. i think it needs jsut two or three genunie world class players. suarez and a world class midfielder and we are ready. how many world class players did united have last year? RVP for one. they just had very good players in other posistions, i think we are at that stage now. add two or three world class and we are ready.

and as cripps says above, its a statement. we havnt gone for the cheap option. 20 million for bernard, people look up, say not a bad player but dont take much more notice. get suarez for 40 million, people sit up and take notice. its a hell of statement
I'd take Aguero over him, he's still the most influential player in the City side and is one of the best around regardless of what happened last season.

If we sign Suarez that will be it, I can't see any more money being spent, so we won't be seeing these two to three world class players, just the one.

Does it matter if people sit up and take notice though, it's more about what they do on the pitch as I've said before the thought of a genuine Brazilian at Arsenal excites me just because he's not been as high profile as Suarez that's not to say in a year's time he won't be, the likes of Ronaldinho where not know when they came to Europe either that's how it tends to work with Brazilians.

Anyway I don't mind the signing of Suarez, just think blowing all your budget on one single player when the team is lacking is several departments isn't the wisest thing to do.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:09 AM
What about the midfield, goalkeeper and to an extent defence though?

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 11:10 AM

We need defensive cover as well. Bulking up the attack won’t mean a thing if we’ve got shaky legs. We don’t want to return to the old days where we were top heavy on attack but floored easily on counters because our defence was so weak. Injuries are already racking up and it’s a worry.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Ffs zim, you're making me and Ollie agree.

Banning offence surely?

So you would rather have just one player this summer (Suarez) than 3 quality ones (and maybe a 4th player), not talking players like Vermaelen or Chamakh either, genuine quality?

IMO the squad looks weak, shockingly weak, even with Suarez we'd be an injury or two from disaster.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:11 AM
What about the midfield, goalkeeper and to an extent defence though?

defence was second best in the league last season, wasnt when van persie played. so thats improved. midfield, players have got better, devolped more, ie jack, ramsey, ox etc. cazorla is a huge improvement.

goalkeeper, we need a decent number 2 to challenge chesney, i will give you that.

with the squad though, in terms of personnell, it might not have chagned that much since van persie played, but the players have. they are better, fitter, know each others style of play, formed partnerships etc. its a much stronger squad then when van persie played with them

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Wenger curb his behaviour?

Can't see it myself, he let Barndoor get away with allsorts (headbutts, almost attacking a referee) has let his players run amok for years defending everything they do.

Suarez will probably become the new Joey Barton under this kind of discipline!

you know what i mean though, a proper manager who has a deep respect in the footballing world. someone who's very philosophical and a father figure. not novices like rodgers.

will be interesting to see how wenger handles a ticking timebomb like suarez though, as you say.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:15 AM
defence was second best in the league last season, wasnt when van persie played. so thats improved. midfield, players have got better, devolped more, ie jack, ramsey, ox etc. cazorla is a huge improvement.

goalkeeper, we need a decent number 2 to challenge chesney, i will give you that.

with the squad though, in terms of personnell, it might not have chagned that much since van persie played, but the players have. they are better, fitter, know each others style of play, formed partnerships etc. its a much stronger squad then when van persie played with them
Yeah to be honest, I'm not convinced that wasn't just a blip you might well find that it goes back to normal this season, we were pretty poor for large parts last season as well in defence it's only at the end of the season we improved, in addition look at the injuries we're already racking up.

Cazorla is excellent if a little fairweather at times, Wilshere is injury prone and unproven, he's got a big reputation but has done little to back it up thus far, Ramsey yeah less said the better about him.

I don't think we're much better than when RVP left, we were awful last season, truly awful just look at some of our performances and results, as I said the min run at the end of the season was always going to mask our defficiencies as it always seems to do.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:16 AM
I'd take Aguero over him, he's still the most influential player in the City side and is one of the best around regardless of what happened last season.

If we sign Suarez that will be it, I can't see any more money being spent, so we won't be seeing these two to three world class players, just the one.

Does it matter if people sit up and take notice though, it's more about what they do on the pitch as I've said before the thought of a genuine Brazilian at Arsenal excites me just because he's not been as high profile as Suarez that's not to say in a year's time he won't be, the likes of Ronaldinho where not know when they came to Europe either that's how it tends to work with Brazilians.

Anyway I don't mind the signing of Suarez, just think blowing all your budget on one single player when the team is lacking is several departments isn't the wisest thing to do.

one striker scored 23 goals with jordan henderson in midfield. the other scored 12 with david silva in midfield. i think i know which one is more influential.

i think its good to make people sit up. how many times do we hear journalists sneering at us. just have a look at them on twitter now, they are so arrogant towards arsenal and their bid for suarez. it shuts them up, it shows we mean buisness. Arsenal have jsut gone out and payed 40 million for a world class striker. it shows we arent going for the top four trophy, it shows we want to win and are going for it. none of this taking gambles anymore on cheaper players. world class, 40 million done. people sit up and take notice and will look at us with a bit of fear unlike htey do now.

or is it partly you are worreid that everything you say about wenger is being proved wrong. hes not winner, he wont spend, just comfortable with top four. signing suarez proves all that wrong, and you dont want to admit you are wrong and wenger proved you wrong

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 11:16 AM

So you would rather have just one player this summer (Suarez) than 3 quality ones (and maybe a 4th player), not talking players like Vermaelen or Chamakh either, genuine quality?

IMO the squad looks weak, shockingly weak, even with Suarez we'd be an injury or two from disaster.

Chances of us getting 3 quality players this summer is practically zero. We have seen how long it takes for s to buy one player. To get 3, it's impossible. We'd need to ask for an extension to transfer deadline and that won't happen cos it SLAMS SHUT end of August.

So in that case, get Suarez in, maybe another keeper seeing as Cesar is available n a free. Midfield is a weak point so maybe set aside some cash for that.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Chances of us getting 3 quality players this summer is practically zero. We have seen how long it takes for s to buy one player. To get 3, it's impossible. We'd need to ask for an extension to transfer deadline and that won't happen cos it SLAMS SHUT end of August.

So in that case, get Suarez in, maybe another keeper seeing as Cesar is available n a free. Midfield is a weak point so maybe set aside some cash for that.
I agree with you, maybe I'm just thinking about what happens at normal clubs.

If we're going to get one signing then signing Suarez would be pretty good, was just hoping to see a few quality players coming through the door for once so we can believe we can pick up some silverware again.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah to be honest, I'm not convinced that wasn't just a blip you might well find that it goes back to normal this season, we were pretty poor for large parts last season as well in defence it's only at the end of the season we improved, in addition look at the injuries we're already racking up.

Cazorla is excellent if a little fairweather at times, Wilshere is injury prone and unproven, he's got a big reputation but has done little to back it up thus far, Ramsey yeah less said the better about him.

I don't think we're much better than when RVP left, we were awful last season, truly awful just look at some of our performances and results, as I said the min run at the end of the season was always going to mask our defficiencies as it always seems to do.

think thats harsh to call cazorla fairweather. he was exceptional last season given it was his first season.

one stat i saw last season was only two teams never lost games they took the lead in. one of them was us. (cant remember the other one, think it was city though) so holding onto a lead wasnt our problem, it was getting the lead. suarez will get us leads. the defence showed last season it was ready. i felt all season our problem was attack and getting big goals. its all very well scoring 4/5 goals against reading, we need big goals against citys, uniteds etc. suarez i think will give us that.

Kano
25-07-2013, 11:21 AM
yaya toure is the most influential player in the man city team.

aguero had a great first season. struggled badly with injury and form in a much lower scoring team last time round.

you can't call him the second best in the league based on achievements two seasons ago, that's nuts.

he has the potential to be but still needs to do it. next season will tell all.

as it stands rvp, suarez and bale are the best strikers. and let's not kid ourselves. bale is a striker in the ronaldo mould.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:22 AM
We need defensive cover as well. Bulking up the attack won’t mean a thing if we’ve got shaky legs. We don’t want to return to the old days where we were top heavy on attack but floored easily on counters because our defence was so weak. Injuries are already racking up and it’s a worry.

last season we were defence heavy. the defence was so much better and our problems were in attack. getting suarez doesnt make us attack heavy, it gives us more balance IMO. but injuries are a worry, hopefully koscienly is just a minor one. seen him in training pictures this week so it doesnt look to bad. am sure there are decent 7 million pound defenders who we can get in as 4th choice to give us some more depth

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:22 AM
one striker scored 23 goals with jordan henderson in midfield. the other scored 12 with david silva in midfield. i think i know which one is more influential.

i think its good to make people sit up. how many times do we hear journalists sneering at us. just have a look at them on twitter now, they are so arrogant towards arsenal and their bid for suarez. it shuts them up, it shows we mean buisness. Arsenal have jsut gone out and payed 40 million for a world class striker. it shows we arent going for the top four trophy, it shows we want to win and are going for it. none of this taking gambles anymore on cheaper players. world class, 40 million done. people sit up and take notice and will look at us with a bit of fear unlike htey do now.

or is it partly you are worreid that everything you say about wenger is being proved wrong. hes not winner, he wont spend, just comfortable with top four. signing suarez proves all that wrong, and you dont want to admit you are wrong and wenger proved you wrong
One the same note RVP scored 39 goals for us and scored less for Man U, thus perhaps being the focal point means you score more?

One player isn't suddenly going to make us challengers, like I said he's replacing RVP effectively, we still won't be up there we need several quality players.

I couldn't give a damn about being proved wrong, would be good if he did for a change.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:24 AM
yaya toure is the most influential player in the man city team.

aguero had a great first season. struggled badly with injury and form in a much lower scoring team last time round.

you can't call him the second best in the league based on achievements two seasons ago, that's nuts.

he has the potential to be but still needs to do it. next season will tell all.

as it stands rvp, suarez and bale are the best strikers. and let's not kid ourselves. bale is a striker in the ronaldo mould.
Yeah Yaya Toure is excellent but it's touch and go, when Aguero is playing well Man City are hard to stop.

He's done it in Spain as well and you have to look at his age, Suarez is hardly that proven either he's only been here two seasons as well and came from Holland a weaker league.

Suarez has 51 goals in 96 Aguero has 47 in 88 a similar record.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2013, 11:27 AM
No doubt Suarez is one of the top strikers in the league, could even arguably be the best given what he's done in a fairly poor team.

No point scoffing at the price, the types of figures being thrown about are perfectly normal these days. I'm sure we'd have enough in reserve to buy another top player if we did spunk 40-50m on him.

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 11:27 AM
last season we were defence heavy. the defence was so much better and our problems were in attack. getting suarez doesnt make us attack heavy, it gives us more balance IMO. but injuries are a worry, hopefully koscienly is just a minor one. seen him in training pictures this week so it doesnt look to bad. am sure there are decent 7 million pound defenders who we can get in as 4th choice to give us some more depth

We have to maintain the defence and with injuries to Verm, Monreal, Kos....we're looking thin.

Cripps_orig
25-07-2013, 11:29 AM
We have to maintain the defence and with injuries to Verm, Monreal, Kos....we're looking thin.

You forgot Gibbs

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:29 AM
I thought the midfield was lacking last season as well and the goalie was pretty dodgy too. The defence improved but towards the end of the season, for the 1st half of the season I remember people complaining about the shambles at the back.

Plus what happens when we get injuries which we invariably will.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:30 AM
You forgot Gibbs
People do, except the medical team.

Kano
25-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah Yaya Toure is excellent but it's touch and go, when Aguero is playing well Man City are hard to stop.

He's done it in Spain as well and you have to look at his age, Suarez is hardly that proven either he's only been here two seasons as well and came from Holland a weaker league.

Suarez has 51 goals in 96 Aguero has 47 in 88 a similar record.
if you go over the past two seasons, toure has been a far more consistent presence in the team, defensively and going forward. for one reason or another aguero wasn't last season, so again, if you base it on either last year or the past two years toure averages out as more influential.

we are talking premier league here, not spain or holland.

and remember, stats don't count.

Cripps_orig
I agree with you, maybe I'm just thinking about what happens at normal clubs.

If we're going to get one signing then signing Suarez would be pretty good, was just hoping to see a few quality players coming through the door for once so we can believe we can pick up some silverware again.

Yeah few quality players ain't happening. Might as well go all out for Suarez and hope he improves the rest of the team

LDG

Sagan at CB :cloud9:

Özim
No doubt Suarez is one of the top strikers in the league, could even arguably be the best given what he's done in a fairly poor team.

No point scoffing at the price, the types of figures being thrown about are perfectly normal these days. I'm sure we'd have enough in reserve to buy another top player if we did spunk 40-50m on him.
I hope you're right, I reckon with a 75-80 million pound outlay that will be it. We've already made our 2nd signing.

Ollie the Optimist

as i said, kos has been seen in training pictures so i dont think its taht serious an injury. i really hope it isn't.

monreal, well sellling santos is a bad decision now ;) and vermaelen, am sure we can find a decent CB for 7 million ish to cover for him and be 4th choice. someone was posting links about a valenica CB for that price.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:36 AM
One the same note RVP scored 39 goals for us and scored less for Man U, thus perhaps being the focal point means you score more?

One player isn't suddenly going to make us challengers, like I said he's replacing RVP effectively, we still won't be up there we need several quality players.

I couldn't give a damn about being proved wrong, would be good if he did for a change.

one player isn't if he was just replacing rvp with no else coming in. four new players have come in so its a better squad, i persoonally believe it is a better squad given players are older, more devolped etc. but lets not continue this one, it will just go round in circles.

also, going back to my point about making a statement. if we ended up paying 50 million for him, we could become the britisth record holders for highest transfer fee paid. arsenal, highest transfer fee paid. just say that to yourself, the league would take notice. its not chelsea or city, its a team whos record signign is 16 million.

also, its so nice that its our money, we've saved and can go big without being bankrolled by an arab or russian. its our money and although its late, its nice to see us joining the party

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 11:36 AM
As said last week, you can’t trivialise the Evra and Suarez issue, brush it aside as minor and then talk about the MLK days and ‘real’ racism. With that sort of attitude, you never get to the root of the problem. You’ve got to combat racism on all levels otherwise it grows and you get scenes like what we saw with the England under 21 team in Eastern Europe.

Oh good grief, this is painful. Get to the root of the problem? What do you think I'm doing? Do you seriously think racism exists because some people are just meanies? Racism, religious intolerance, all forms of bigotry (except the officially endorsed state sponsored type that raises its head from time to time when expediency calls) are always symptoms of a wider inequality in groups/ societies. Who do you think benefits most when the population is at each other's throats?

Racism isn't about which words should or shouldn't be banned - that's PR and chest thumping, a lousy apology for indifference to the real problems. At its root racism is a systemic agenda that has been carefully nurtured over centuries by those who benefit most from poverty, denial of education to the masses, war. Especially war because it's pretty damn hard to shoot somebody in the face when you perceive them to be the same as you. But a rag-head or some African bloke who "comes from a country that doesn't even have proper toilet paper and they all live in tents but some of my best friends are black people you know", no worries. They are inferior and a lot of the time we're actually doing them a favour by burning up their kids. George Bush and Tony Blair said this, so it's true. Why do you think we had slaves, because blacks are inferior to whites and in our ignorance we recognised some moral entitlement? No, because we had guns and it was fucking profitable to get somebody else to do all the work. Get real.

I mean haven't you been watching the news over the last 20 years? Racism? Do you think the people suffering from the direct effects of racism give a flying fuck about what Suarez did or didn't say? But, you know, I understand why we all need to go around explaining how virtuous we are and how we stood up (with the rest of the herd) when the real condemnations had to be made. Suarez - bastard, bad, bad. Anything other than fanatical condemnation is viewed as a white wash, you said so yourself. Well apologies, I guess my failure to sing loudly about one drop in an ocean in preference to "talking shit" about the ocean itself means I don't get access to the heavenly throng. I can live with that.

As an aside, it's true, there's no genocide in football (barring a few unfortunate incidents of genocide that happened elsewhere so don't count). I'm very confident the same guy who moralises from the stands wouldn't dream of lining up to clap on demand at some monument in London as the war criminals march past. And even if he did, there's no connection. Compartmentalisation is one of the best things ever invented, so convenient. So black and white.

Özim
25-07-2013, 11:37 AM
if you go over the past two seasons, toure has been a far more consistent presence in the team, defensively and going forward. for one reason or another aguero wasn't last season, so again, if you base it on either last year or the past two years toure averages out as more influential.

we are talking premier league here, not spain or holland.

and remember, stats don't count.
I'm not just looking at stats believe me, Aguero didn't have the best of seasons however I watched him a number of times and when he plays he's unstoppable (better than Suarez IMO).

As for Toure yes he is very good, but when Aguero isn't firing neither are Man City, both key players though so hard to say who's more important I guess.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Gazidis said we have £70mill PER SEASON as a transfer budget, right? So this won't be the year when we become title challengers. But if they really do intend to spend and we really do have a budget each year then in 2-3 years we might have the squad we need. This ties in with what Wenger said about challenging in 2-3 years. The key then will be to ensure we can keep players at the club as well as sign new ones. So this Suarez thing might make sense over a longer term. Sends a message to the players already here and lays the groundwork for more signings next year. Suarez will assist us to stay in the top 4 which is all we need to keep the plan on track if that's the plan.

Or, they're just screwing with us and plan to sell Cazorla.

Grebbo
25-07-2013, 11:47 AM
No point comparing Suarez to Aguero. Aguero isn't for sale and wouldn't want to join us.

Arsenal are not a top club so it is very difficult for us to get a world class striker to sign for us. Arsenal signing Suarez is a real coup.

Ollie the Optimist
25-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Sagan at CB :cloud9:

hes played there a bit during pre season hasnt he? he also played there against sunderland last season and was outstanding. his best game last season by a mile.

maybe wenger is thinking about moving him? he seems to have lost a bit of his pace so maybe it is a good move making him a CB if wenger is going to do it.

Shaqiri Is Boss
25-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Beside from all the baggage he has, he's obviously playing up with us, he kicked off at Groningen when he wanted to leave there and he forced a move from Ajax after biting someone there, so it's fairly likely he'd do the same to you after a couple of years.

Then we'll all hate him....

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Dangerous times for Liverpool though. I'm assuming Rodgers is playing hardball now because the club is trying to line up a replacement, then it will be interesting to see the attitude towards Suarez.

The offer for Chamakh is still open, even though you were less than cordial when I first brought it up.

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Oh good grief, this is painful. Get to the root of the problem? What do you think I'm doing? Do you seriously think racism exists because some people are just meanies? Racism, religious intolerance, all forms of bigotry (except the officially endorsed state sponsored type that raises its head from time to time when expediency calls) are always symptoms of a wider inequality in groups/ societies. Who do you think benefits most when the population is at each other's throats?

Racism isn't about which words should or shouldn't be banned - that's PR and chest thumping, a lousy apology for indifference to the real problems. At its root racism is a systemic agenda that has been carefully nurtured over centuries by those who benefit most from poverty, denial of education to the masses, war. Especially war because it's pretty damn hard to shoot somebody in the face when you perceive them to be the same as you. But a rag-head or some African bloke who "comes from a country that doesn't even have proper toilet paper and they all live in tents but some of my best friends are black people you know", no worries. They are inferior and a lot of the time we're actually doing them a favour by burning up their kids. George Bush and Tony Blair said this, so it's true. Why do you think we had slaves, because blacks are inferior to whites and in our ignorance we recognised some moral entitlement? No, because we had guns and it was fucking profitable to get somebody else to do all the work. Get real.

I mean haven't you been watching the news over the last 20 years? Racism? Do you think the people suffering from the direct effects of racism give a flying fuck about what Suarez did or didn't say? But, you know, I understand why we all need to go around explaining how virtuous we are and how we stood up (with the rest of the herd) when the real condemnations had to be made. Suarez - bastard, bad, bad. Anything other than fanatical condemnation is viewed as a white wash, you said so yourself. Well apologies, I guess my failure to sing loudly about one drop in an ocean in preference to "talking shit" about the ocean itself means I don't get access to the heavenly throng. I can live with that.

As an aside, it's true, there's no genocide in football (barring a few unfortunate incidents of genocide that happened elsewhere so don't count). I'm very confident the same guy who moralises from the stands wouldn't dream of lining up to clap on demand at some monument in London as the war criminals march past. And even if he did, there's no connection. Compartmentalisation is one of the best things ever invented, so convenient. So black and white.

good post, there are people in Sudan, Syria dying every day and no gives a shit about them because they are sudanese and syrian.....isnt that racism?

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Gazidis said we have £70mill PER SEASON as a transfer budget, right? So this won't be the year when we become title challengers. But if they really do intend to spend and we really do have a budget each year then in 2-3 years we might have the squad we need. This ties in with what Wenger said about challenging in 2-3 years. The key then will be to ensure we can keep players at the club as well as sign new ones. So this Suarez thing might make sense over a longer term. Sends a message to the players already here and lays the groundwork for more signings next year. Suarez will assist us to stay in the top 4 which is all we need to keep the plan on track if that's the plan.

Or, they're just screwing with us and plan to sell Cazorla.

were is the per season mumbo jumbocome from?

Kano
25-07-2013, 12:05 PM
good post, there are people in Sudan, Syria dying every day and no gives a shit about them because they are sudanese and syrian.....isnt that racism?
go ask General Butt Naked.

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 12:07 PM
go ask General Butt Naked.

cock

GP
25-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Syrians :haha:

Dicks and chicks
25-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Syrians :haha:

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=26

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2013, 12:11 PM
were is the per season mumbo jumbocome from?

From Gazidis who claims new sponsorship deals and a resulting increase in annual profits will allow Arsenal to compete with clubs like Bayern Munich. Not saying I believe him, just reporting what he said. I'm trying to find a reason why we (of all clubs) would suddenly break the British transfer record.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10104877/Arsenal-preparing-to-join-European-superpowers-with-70m-boost-says-chief-executive-Ivan-Gazidis.html

Kano
25-07-2013, 12:16 PM
cock
no, Butt Naked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Butt_Naked

Power n Glory
25-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Racism existed before the corporation. I knew you’d go off on a tangent. Again, wood for the trees. Do you really think racism was created in a vacuum? The state isn’t all powerful and these massive corporations can’t freely impose their ideology onto the unsuspecting masses without resistance. I have a problem with this top down approach you keep presenting because it leaves out the individual. There will always be wider problems in the world but they’re never solved without looking at the smaller details and just basic human interaction.

At its root racism is a systemic agenda that has been carefully nurtured over centuries by those who benefit most from poverty, denial of education to the masses, war. Especially war because it's pretty damn hard to shoot somebody in the face when you perceive them to be the same as you.

I agree with some of that but the root starts from the individual. You have to teach a child how to share, not to be selfish and how to be play with other kids nicely. :lol: Certain behavior doesn’t have to be taught. We’re naturally selfish and perceive difference as a threat. But this goes way beyond football. In short, Suarez could learn a thing or two here at Arsenal and in London.

PM me if you want to continue because I’m sure most people on here don’t want to hear this talk about inequality, Syria and war. Selfish human nature I guess. :lol: