PDA

View Full Version : Wojciech Szczęsny - thoughts

gunnerrrrr
18-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I have been a supporter of this guy, but i don't remember his last good performance.

Another Wenger "youth" over hyped? or is there more to come from him?

I am losing faith rapidly in his ability.

Cripps_orig
18-08-2013, 02:41 PM
He's a clown

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Backup keeper.

Letters
18-08-2013, 03:10 PM
He's OK but he's not good enough for a side that want to seriously challenge. Luckily we don't.

Grebbo
18-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Not good enough

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-08-2013, 03:30 PM
shite

Marc Overmars
18-08-2013, 03:40 PM
No consistency. Sometimes he's capable of saving us points, but he's prone to the odd rush of blood to the head as well.

Don't think he's good enough right now, maybe in time.

We won't buy a keeper anyway, so lets hope he improves.

GP
18-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Not great, not shit. Prone to the odd error. Bit similar to de gea.

cricketsi
18-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Looking at the way his fellow team mates are stagnating or regressing around him I'd have to say he and they are not being given the fullest opportunity to develop as players at present. So, he probably could be better than he is, if only our club hadn't become such a calamitous disaster zone.

Özil's Panoramic View
18-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Should have been part of the mass dross clear out.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Yesterday his performance was a let down because i am one of the guy's biggest defenders, i genuinely think he is a very good keeper and actually sometimes his solidity between the sticks is overlooked however his performance yesterday gives weight and not unfairly so to many of his detractors on here.

What was he thinking coming off his line like that yesterday, it was exactly the kind of thing that made me despise Jens Lehmann at times....though to be fair on Szczesny he doesn't seem to have the same issues with personal space that Jens used to exhibit (i.e punching anyone that would look to challenge him when he went to claim a cross).

I think being dropped last season was good for him and although his critics won't acknowledge it he didn't put a foot wrong when he returned and in fact made some excellent saves....but again to repeat incidents like yesterday don't do him any favors at all (but when your deputy is Fabianski i suppose you don't really feel under pressure for your place)

I still think he very much has a future at Arsenal and being only 23 and a goalkeeper he has time on his side, i think there is potentially a ego problem that needs addressing and it would maybe do him no harm long term if we signed an experienced goalkeeper and benched him.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I also think a goalkeeper is only as good as the back four in front of them especially at Arsenal.

Lehmann was between the posts during the unbeaten season and really the fact that we didn't suffer defeat in the league for his first season with us was down more to the back four he had in front of him....this isn't a criticism he made some excellent saves at time and had excellent experience but you had to question his temperament at times.

Munchies
18-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Yakubu at the end in the last away game of the season, he made the fat Yak shit his pants and miss the one on one :lol:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Yakubu at the end in the last away game of the season, he made the fat Yak shit his pants and miss the one on one :lol:

Let's be fair if your a black player and in front of you is a mean looking German man who let's be honest with ourselves had he lived seventy years ago would have almost certainly been a willing participant in the mass extermination of quote inferior races unquote i think it's quite an understandable reaction.

Cripps_orig
18-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Apparently Szczesny is seen as the Aaron Ramsey of keepers

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2013, 08:01 PM
I also think a goalkeeper is only as good as the back four in front of them especially at Arsenal.

Lehmann was between the posts during the unbeaten season and really the fact that we didn't suffer defeat in the league for his first season with us was down more to the back four he had in front of him....this isn't a criticism he made some excellent saves at time and had excellent experience but you had to question his temperament at times.

True enough. Our back 4 threw him under a steamroller yesterday. This is what comes of having a statue at the back with three other defenders having to charge around as cover. Everyone can see Merts is no good for this league. No point getting a better keeper in if we're sticking with the four in front.

Munchies
18-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Let's be fair if your a black player and in front of you is a mean looking German man who let's be honest with ourselves had he lived seventy years ago would have almost certainly been a willing participant in the mass extermination of quote inferior races unquote i think it's quite an understandable reaction.

:haha:

Seaman's Ponytail
18-08-2013, 08:12 PM
The thing is, goalkeepers are very different from outfield players. Goalkeepers get better from experience and generally peak in their form between age 28-30. Ches is 23, we've already stuck with him for 4 years, personally i think we'd be crazy to dispense with him now. I genuinely think by the time he hits 28 he'll be up there with the very best in the world. What he needs now (and has needed for the past few seasons) is an older experienced keeper to work with, guide him and push him to be better than he is currently showing. Whether the keeper to do that is Ceasar or not is debatable but he probably fits the criteria of what we need. Ches will undoubtedly cost us some points at some point this year (what keeper doesn't) but i'd be confident he'll be responsible for winning us some games we would have otherwise drawn/lost also

Munchies
18-08-2013, 08:16 PM
^ Yeah, his save against Wigan last season at the Emirates when it was 1-1 from Kone was massive. He's a good keeper, but having a injury prone keeper like Fabianski to challenge him won't enable him to focus on his performances. Most of his mistakes are down to lapses in concentration rather than actual goalkeeping errors, he just switches off at vital moments in the game.

Begovic/Cesar, and it's laughable that we only have Chesney/Fabianski right now. I read the reason why Cesar isn't signed, is that QPR want £2m (fair enough), but Wenger doesn't want to pay Cesar 80 grand a week.

Özim
18-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Been very disappointing for a while now, regularly makes errors some of which cause goals, must admit I'm not convinced he's that good his decision making is poor at times and play very erratic. Keepers should be solid first and foremost, he's confident to the point he maybe a little arrogant now.

Gooner23
18-08-2013, 08:49 PM
The thing is, goalkeepers are very different from outfield players. Goalkeepers get better from experience and generally peak in their form between age 28-30. Ches is 23, we've already stuck with him for 4 years, personally i think we'd be crazy to dispense with him now. I genuinely think by the time he hits 28 he'll be up there with the very best in the world. What he needs now (and has needed for the past few seasons) is an older experienced keeper to work with, guide him and push him to be better than he is currently showing. Whether the keeper to do that is Ceasar or not is debatable but he probably fits the criteria of what we need. Ches will undoubtedly cost us some points at some point this year (what keeper doesn't) but i'd be confident he'll be responsible for winning us some games we would have otherwise drawn/lost also

I agree with this. He's basically had no competition for his 1st team place. Get in an older experienced keeper for a couple of years like Cesar, and I think it would benefit Ches as well.

Right now he's not at the level we need, but he's far from our worst problem.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I agree with this. He's basically had no competition for his 1st team place. Get in an older experienced keeper for a couple of years like Cesar, and I think it would benefit Ches as well.

Right now he's not at the level we need, but he's far from our worst problem.

I'd go with that

BOBN
19-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Knew he wouldnt amount to much after his twitter comments about Ashley Cole after he missed in some pen shootout a few years back.

If you dont respect the legends of your craft then you have zero chance.

Niall_Quinn
19-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Knew he wouldnt amount to much after his twitter comments about Ashley Cole after he missed in some pen shootout a few years back.

And yet you never have a good word to say about my posts!

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2013, 12:05 PM
I thought this thread was going to be a collection of whimsical musings from the man himself when I saw the thread title.

Never mind.

KSE Comedy Club
19-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Why should he respect Ashley cole?!?

He's a cunt

Özim
19-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I disagree that Chesney is the least of our problems, he's a key player because mistakes by keepers more often than not lead to goals.

He was awful on Saturday and to be honest you can't rely on him to go through a match without a mistake these days, goals change the flow of games as well.

BlindFaith_8
19-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Chesney is and will always be a 3rd rate eastern european keeper. He is gob shite, I would say Fabianski is a more solid keeper. Cheseny thinks too much of himself and is over confident, but in reality is Rangers or Celtic standard.

Letters
19-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I disagree that Chesney is the least of our problems, he's a key player because mistakes by keepers more often than not lead to goals.

He was awful on Saturday and to be honest you can't rely on him to go through a match without a mistake these days, goals change the flow of games as well.
I don't think any of the goals were really his fault - OK, he gave away the pen for the first but he was badly let down by the defence who let Villa just walk through us. There was that alarming incident when he went walkabout but he got away with it. We could do with a proper, quality 'keeper but it wouldn't be top of my shopping list.

Özim
19-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't think any of the goals were really his fault - OK, he gave away the pen for the first but he was badly let down by the defence who let Villa just walk through us. There was that alarming incident when he went walkabout but he got away with it. We could do with a proper, quality 'keeper but it wouldn't be top of my shopping list.

Like you said though the penalty was his fault and he was lucky to get away with the walkabout. He's been making errors consistently for a while now, I personally think he's regressed (who can forget his awful performance for Poland in the Euros), he's got too cocky and his performances have been average, a decent goalkeeper will win you points ours has a tendency to lose us points if anything.

He needs to be dropped IMO, right now he's knows he's playing every game if he's not injured.

Letters
19-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I didn't say the penalty was his fault. He gave it away but only because he had a Villa player who had waltzed through our defence and was bearing down on him. He had to do something and while he made a mistake he was put in a difficult position.
Dropped for who?! (Although I thought Flappy did well at the end of last season, he's not the answer either)

Özim
19-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I didn't say the penalty was his fault. He gave it away but only because he had a Villa player who had waltzed through our defence and was bearing down on him. He had to do something and while he made a mistake he was put in a difficult position.
Dropped for who?! (Although I thought Flappy did well at the end of last season, he's not the answer either)

Yeah I know, just pointing out a mistake is a mistake, maybe a better keeper might have done a better job.

Hopefully a new signing! :-D

Letters
19-08-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't think there are any 'keepers available on a free right now.

Munchies
19-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm bewildered why we haven't gone for Cesar, would be available for near £4m, Brazil international, was the no1 keeper for Inter during their champions league run , has played in the PL, has said he want's to remain in London...

QPR signed him :faint: , more ambition than us

Grebbo
19-08-2013, 04:46 PM
There's loads of keepers out there we could get.

Mignolet was available and so is Cesar.

We could get Begovic seeing as Stoke have Butland and Sorensen.

Wenger just wants to stick with our Polish pony, no idea why.

Marc Overmars
19-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Wenger has very rarely spent money on keepers and when he has it's been at an absolute minimum.

It's fair to say the position is probably at the bottom of his priorities.

BOBN
19-08-2013, 08:39 PM
And yet you never have a good word to say about my posts!
:wave:

I'm bewildered why we haven't gone for Cesar, would be available for near £4m, Brazil international, was the no1 keeper for Inter during their champions league run , has played in the PL, has said he want's to remain in London...

QPR signed him :faint: , more ambition than us
Not signing Cesar and Gustavo is the moment Wenger became criminally negligent. Absolute no brainer, slam dunk transfers.

Throw in missing Coutinho for 8 million and callously disregarding star in the making Denilson like a piece of bum fluff and suddenly his name starts to sound more German than French. 1942 German. Does Herr Venger have an issue with the Brazilian man?

GP
19-08-2013, 08:59 PM
star in the making Denilson

Cripps_orig
19-08-2013, 09:04 PM
:wave:

Not signing Cesar and Gustavo is the moment Wenger became criminally negligent. Absolute no brainer, slam dunk transfers.

Throw in missing Coutinho for 8 million and callously disregarding star in the making Denilson like a piece of bum fluff and suddenly his name starts to sound more German than French. 1942 German. Does Herr Venger have an issue with the Brazilian man?
Don't agree on Denilson.

He's basically the Brazilian Arteta.

Anyone who rates the spaniard and laughs at Denilson is a tard

Penguin
21-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I like Szczesney but he's been struggling for a long time, although he isn't helped by our clown defenders.

We need more than just a good shot stopper. We play with such a high defence line that our goalkeeper has to read the play very well and sweep everything up. The slightest mistake in judgment can make you look like an idiot, that's why experience is vital. I didn't used to rate Valdez but he is very good at that - he has been coached that role his whole career at barca and it shows. The fact that our defenders and keeper always look so clueless is indicative of the lack of good coaching at our club.

Why the hell is Wenger so loyal to his players? These guys would fuck off in a second as soon as a bigger club comes sniffing, even to our league rivals ffs.

Master Splinter
28-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Has been excellent apart from the mad moment against Villa in the first game. The supposed fuck-up today was down to a shit backpass and Wojciech had it covered anyway.

Sir Ches :bow:.

LDG
28-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Agreed.

Just make sure he keeps focused. Swallow some of the arrogance, and he's the boy.

Dein-machine
28-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Don't agree on Denilson.

He's basically the Brazilian Arteta.

Anyone who rates the spaniard and laughs at Denilson is a tard

Absolutley - the're both shite

GP
28-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Master Splinter
28-09-2013, 09:14 PM
BlindFaith_8 :bow:.

Ollie the Optimist
16-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Szcesney has signed a new long term contract. Good news, he's been superb this season.

Syn
16-11-2013, 02:53 PM
This thread :lol:

yeah, he has been fantastic. Great to have him signed up.

Globalgunner
16-11-2013, 03:30 PM
hope the reported 100kpw does not demotivate him. Hes prob the highest paid keeper in the EPL, bar maybe Cech

Penguin
16-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Apparently Szczesny is seen as the Aaron Ramsey of keepers

:lol:

Cripps :bow:

Master Splinter
16-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Sir Chezernee :bow:.

This thread :lol: indeed.

Özil's Panoramic View
16-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Cripps :bow:

Time he was welcomed back home, tbh.

Özil's Panoramic View
16-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh, and Sir Ches. :bow:

Always rated him

GP
16-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Time he was welcomed back home, tbh.

:gp:

Back to India :wave:

IBK
16-11-2013, 09:48 PM
I had my doubts - but he has come through the tests he's had well enough for me to believe that he can be truly special. Its important that we have a stable number one and he is undoubtedly it on merit. So I was pleased to hear about the new contract.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Cripps? Bit harsh isn't it?

Özil's Panoramic View
17-11-2013, 03:30 PM