PDA

View Full Version : Mathieu Flamini Thread (official)

Pages : [1] 2

Munchies
22-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Wenger will resign Flamini, according to the Guardian. He wants £75k a week.

lol

Article on DM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2400151/Arsenal-set-sign-Mathieu-Flamini-free-transfer.html

Munchies
22-08-2013, 04:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Tv9bbgr9I

:haha:

The Emirates Gallactico
22-08-2013, 04:57 PM
75K a week?

Hope the fee to use our training facilities for the past two weeks gets taken into account.

Özil's Panoramic View
22-08-2013, 04:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Tv9bbgr9I

Marc Overmars
22-08-2013, 05:30 PM
A laughable signing really (we were told we could do exciting things this summer :haha:) but I don't care anymore.

Just get some players in.

GP
22-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Don't have that much of an opinion really. Hopefully he can do a decent job until Artekkers is back.

Grebbo
22-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Fuck off

Penguin
22-08-2013, 05:43 PM
That video :haha:

We need someone better tbh. He's the type of player that would be good as a squadie, but not the first team. I'm still kind of pissed off at how he walked out on us in the way he did so fuck him, you missed your chance at Arsenal.

And £75k? Really?! :lol:

Power n Glory
22-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Why did we let him go in the first place? How much was he demanding when he left us? It's pure stupidity. Didn't Song want £75k before he left? Madness and no forward thinking from this regime.

But it is what it is. We need a DM and he'd be better than anything else we have....I hope.

Munchies
22-08-2013, 05:53 PM
In terms of squad depth, its a good signing, but he's nearly 30 now, and has probably lost most of his pace. We'll see how he does I guess.

A player like Gustavo is the sort of CDM we need though.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-08-2013, 05:53 PM
In all seriousness just offer 30 million for Lars Bender and let's be on our way.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-08-2013, 05:56 PM
We're certainly getting our French back.

GP
22-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Why did we let him go in the first place? How much was he demanding when he left us? It's pure stupidity. Didn't Song want £75k before he left? Madness and no forward thinking from this regime.

But it is what it is. We need a DM and he'd be better than anything else we have....I hope.

He just wanted to go to Milan. Nothing to do with money.

Marc Overmars
22-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I hope we still have an interest in Cabaye even if we sign Flamini.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-08-2013, 06:03 PM

To be honest i'd rather us sign him than spend 20million on Cabaye, short term solution really but we know wenger won't be here beyond the end of the season as we have no chance of winning anything....and i'd be prepared to have him back and put a bit more steel in our midfield....would like him to start this weekend....take Ramsey out of the side. But because he wasn't awful against an extremely average side Wenger doesn't have the ruthlessness to make that decision.

Munchies
22-08-2013, 06:04 PM

No chance :lol:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-08-2013, 06:06 PM

I don't

Marc Overmars
22-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't

Some more options at CM could mean Ramsey is not always first choice. Thought you'd enjoy that possibility.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Some more options at CM could mean Ramsey is not always first choice. Thought you'd enjoy that possibility.

i never said i didn't want us to have more central midfield options, i just said i didn't want cabaye.
I'd rather us sign Diame

GP
22-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Cabaye is better than Diame.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Cabaye is better than Diame.

Better at what?.....no chance he has the strength, pace and pitch coverage of Diame....

GP
22-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Ramsey is better than Diame.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Ramsey is better than Diame.

Most definitely.

Master Splinter
22-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I hope WUMger plays Flamini exclusively at left-back.

He's not a bad squad option, but if he's the only signing in midfield after genuine interest in Bender and Cabaye, then :doh:.

Also, Diame :lol:. Deary me.

cheesy bites
22-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Has anyone actually watched Flamini at Milan or are we judging him based on how he played years ago? If it's the latter, I won't trust a word anyone says about him until he plays.

Power n Glory
22-08-2013, 06:34 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-563587/Arsenal-boss-Wenger-says-Flamini-cash.html

We are not naive enough to think it is not linked to money,' said Wenger. 'He says he wants to stay and if he goes somewhere else that means it is linked to what?

GP
22-08-2013, 06:47 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-563587/Arsenal-boss-Wenger-says-Flamini-cash.html

"I supported Milan since I was very young so people must understand it is very special for me to play for this club," he says.
"My dad is Italian and I have lots of family here. I can visit them and I speak Italian now so it has made it easier for us to be in contact. They are all very proud of me and it has brought us all closer.
"It was an important move for me and I'm very happy as a person and as a footballer."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8010235.stm

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Most definitely.

how?....ramsey can't tackle or track back or run or pass which diame can so i don't understand what he's better at

Master Splinter
22-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Ramzee is the worst.

Power n Glory
22-08-2013, 07:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8010235.stm

That would be easier to believe if we matched Milan's offer but I don't have a problem with Flamini.

It's backwards for Wenger to believe he left for money and done us over to then let him train with the club and offer him the £75k he was asking for 5 years ago.

Grebbo
22-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't want Flamini, even if he's just a squaddie. What's the point?

Cripps_orig
22-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Good player in his first spell.

Would mean the end for Arteta.

I see no negatives

Munchies
22-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Its kinda makes sense, we haven't really replaced his prescence ever since he left, just sign him again (albeit when he's slightly more run down now ) :lol:

I'm in favour of this deal , good signing.

GP
22-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Whatever suits your agenda, I guess.

Özim
22-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Never really rated him the 1st time he was here, since then he's had a failed career at Milan, no thanks Mr Mercenary can f*ck off back to France and take his mole with him.

Because of him we lost Diarra due to the fact Wenger wouldn't play him as Flamini fooled him into thinking he was staying (not hard to do admittedly).

Japan Shaking All Over
22-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Saw article on BBC and thought :doh:

But this signing can work if it is agreed he isn't the answer to our DM problem, squad filler at best, I agree a upped bid for Bender is in order...how about that Ginter kid, I know he denied the rumour but its the second time we've been linked so there have to be some legs to it

Master Splinter
22-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Diarra was and is shit.

Cripps_orig
22-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Never really rated him the 1st time he was here, since then he's had a failed career at Milan, no thanks Mr Mercenary can f*ck off back to France and take his mole with him.

Because of him we lost Diarra due to the fact Wenger wouldn't play him as Flamini fooled him into thinking he was staying (not hard to do admittedly).
He was and is better than Diarra

Master Splinter
22-08-2013, 07:55 PM
.how about that Ginter kid, I know he denied the rumour but its the second time we've been linked so there have to be some legs to it

Ginter's mainly a centre-back and he has said any link was rubbish himself.

Özim
22-08-2013, 08:03 PM
He was and is better than Diarra

Not convinced in addition he's really been nowhere since he left, never really made it at Milan and that's despite them having an ageing squad when he moved.

Cripps_orig
22-08-2013, 08:04 PM
He's better than Flamini the one season wonder, since he's left he's done nothing.

05/06 was a great one season though you have to admit.

As for doing nothing, Milan, biggest club in Italy wanted to keep him. Says it all.

Özim
22-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Diarra was and is shit.

and Flamini isn't? Please....

Master Splinter
22-08-2013, 08:05 PM
This is a not "I love Flamini," "my player is better than yours" WUM-off, Diarra is just plain shit.

He's basically an expensive Frimpong.

Özim
22-08-2013, 08:06 PM
05/06 was a great one season though you have to admit.

As for doing nothing, Milan, biggest club in Italy wanted to keep him. Says it all.

He did OK in 2005/06, Milan want to keep him as they're not rolling in money and he's a freebie squaddy, he's never going to be a 1st teamer and certainly shouldn't be for us. I'd take him as a squaddie if not for the fact he's another one of those mercernaries, walked out Marseille then walked out on us leaving us with noone to fill the position.

Özim
22-08-2013, 08:07 PM
This is a not "I love Flamini," "my player is better than yours" WUM-off, Diarra is just plain shit.

He's basically an expensive Frimpong.

Hardly, Frimpong is just a mouthy kid, Diarra was an aggressive tough tackling midfielder.

Cripps_orig
22-08-2013, 08:08 PM
He did OK in 2005/06, Milan want to keep him as they're not rolling in money and he's a freebie squaddy, he's never going to be a 1st teamer and certainly shouldn't be for us. I'd take him as a squaddie if not for the fact he's another one of those mercernaries, walked out Marseille then walked out on us leaving us with noone to fill the position.

And a squad player is exactly why we should get him.

We need a better squad.

Cripps_orig
22-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Hardly, Frimpong is just a mouthy kid, Diarra was an aggressive tough tackling midfielder.

Doesn't he play for a Russian pub team having flopped everywhere hes been?

Niall_Quinn
22-08-2013, 08:09 PM
As expected. Flamini in, now sell Podolski and we've had a cracker of a window - depending on who's viewpoint you take.

Özim
22-08-2013, 08:10 PM
And a squad player is exactly why we should get him.

We need a better squad.

If we sign him he won't be a squad player though.

Özim
22-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Doesn't he play for a Russian pub team having flopped everywhere hes been?

Not sure but Russian teams sign a lot of very good players.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd take flamini just to show these idiots what passion means. The guy had it.

Yes he pissed off for money but players always do. I think he genuinely realises he made a big mistake leaving hence why he turned down a few offers to train with us in hope of getting a contract.

Is he better than Pingpong? Yes. Sharteta? Yes. Get him in.

AKBapologist
22-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Apparently he's on 60k a week now...

Wonders what the point of clearing deadwood was...

Munchies
22-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Apparently he's on 60k a week now...

Wonders what the point of clearing deadwood was...

Get rid of deadwood to get more deadwood :lol:

Anyone know how long the deal is for ? A season wouldn't be bad.

BlindFaith_8
22-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't get it? Why are we going for non attached and free transfer players, and then on the other side of the spectrum we are offering £40 Million and a squid for Suarez? Oh I get it, they have around £40, 000, 001 in the kity for one player and the rest will be freebies. Great work Wenger & Gazidis. Please do not sign Flamini, always reminds me of a headless chicken, bad move all the way.

-Xs-
23-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Certainly worse signings but anything now is just a stop gap till the end of this season. We can't trust Wenger to spend money on actual super quality so best we keep as much in the kitty for the next manager.

If we can get some journeymen in just to keep us afloat with a slim chance of nicking 4th we'll be alright. Forget about challenging, this season's already been written off by the poor summer.

The Verminator
23-08-2013, 06:07 AM
I think Flamini would be an excellent signing. Good competition for Arteta and on a freebie no less!

And in theory, frees up the rest of the kitty to strengthen other positions. I did say "in theory"! :p

Marc Overmars
23-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Wenget says no decision has been made on Flamini and he's only training with us at the moment.

GP
23-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I think if they announce Flamini now there will be a riot.

Need a big name first.

Munchies
23-08-2013, 10:41 AM
I think if they announce Flamini now there will be a riot.

Need a big name first.

Yeah you're right .

Wenger : "He is just here to work on his fitness and he does that very well. I don't say there's no chance, and I don't say there is a chance."

Doesn't say there is no chance, and doesn't say if there is a chance, Wenger :bow:

Can you be alive and dead at the same time ?

Özim
23-08-2013, 10:42 AM
A free signing, this is right up Wenger's street, he never said he was going to spend money, just that there would be signings!

Munchies
23-08-2013, 10:43 AM
A free signing, this is right up Wenger's street, he never said he was going to spend money, just that there would be signings!

Carlton Cole ?

Imagine if we get Anelka :haha:

Niall_Quinn
23-08-2013, 11:24 AM
There are some really terrible players out there whose clubs would pay to get rid of them. That would be even better than a free transfer. Can we not get some of these really terrible, dire, shit wasters in and make some fucking money?

WMUG
23-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Just read the BBC article from when we signed him in 2004 (what's that? A life? Nope, never heard of it), and there's this gem of a quote from 606: "Drogba to Chelsea for 24 million, Flamini to Arsenal on a free transfer - who got the better deal?"

Munchies
23-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Just read the BBC article from when we signed him in 2004 (what's that? A life? Nope, never heard of it), and there's this gem of a quote from 606: "Drogba to Chelsea for 24 million, Flamini to Arsenal on a free transfer - who got the better deal?"

:lol:

606 back in the day :bow:

Niall_Quinn
23-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Signing Flamini is like defecating in your hand and using the shit to temporarily stop a draught. Effective in the very short term, solves nothing in the long term and stinks.

Nayan
23-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Wenger will resign Flamini, according to the Guardian. He wants £75k a week.

lol

Article on DM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2400151/Arsenal-set-sign-Mathieu-Flamini-free-transfer.html

i read 'wenger will resign' and got excited.
bastard

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Wenger is the best manager in the league.

We are lucky to have him.

Nayan
23-08-2013, 07:25 PM

i think he has been great.
and is now a has been

Cripps_orig
23-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Moyes :haha:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-08-2013, 07:27 PM
i think he has been great.
and is now a has been

Who would you bring in? No-one can do a better job than him.

Not even Fergie could have kept us into the top 4 like wenger did. Deserves a new 6 year contract.

Nayan
23-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Honestly i dont care who we bring in. I dont give a fuck about champions league football - spurs sign players without anyone asking them 'do you play in ze champion's ligue?' and for all the talk about the money that keeps coming in - I just see it swelling the coffers and share price but getting nowhere near the team.
I'm bored of the shit football he peddles as the beautiful game and totally uninspired by the players he puts in our shirt.
I refuse to get excited about how we are getting rid of dead wood when they are the same players he previously insisted would be world beaters.
And after listening to his crap about denilson, diaby and park chu fucking young etc I dont have a problem being unimpressed about his precious free signing sanogo whom I never heard, saw presented to the fans nor saw kick a ball in anger.

I used to support what I thought he stood for but he is turning following The Arsenal into a chore. His time has passed and he has to go

Frankly Id rather see us in a relegation scrap with fans who gave a shit than sneaking into next year's champions league with (as always) no plan to win it but just an overriding focus on sneaking into the one after that.

KSE Comedy Club
23-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Fucking re signing Flamini???

Really????

Zzzzzzz

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Honestly i dont care who we bring in. I dont give a fuck about champions league football - spurs sign players without anyone asking them 'do you play in ze champion's ligue?' and for all the talk about the money that keeps coming in - I just see it swelling the coffers and share price but getting nowhere near the team.
I'm bored of the shit football he peddles as the beautiful game and totally uninspired by the players he puts in our shirt.
I refuse to get excited about how we are getting rid of dead wood when they are the same players he previously insisted would be world beaters.
And after listening to his crap about denilson, diaby and park chu fucking young etc I dont have a problem being unimpressed about his precious free signing sanogo whom I never heard, saw presented to the fans nor saw kick a ball in anger.

I used to support what I thought he stood for but he is turning following The Arsenal into a chore. His time has passed and he has to go

Frankly Id rather see us in a relegation scrap with fans who gave a shit than sneaking into next year's champions league with (as always) no plan to win it but just an overriding focus on sneaking into the one after that.

Wenger is tactically efficient and gets the best out of players, look at the way he dropped vermaelen and chesney last season to start our incredible run. Not many other managers would have done that. Wenger is a great manager.

Nayan
24-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Wenger is tactically efficient and gets the best out of players, look at the way he dropped vermaelen and chesney last season to start our incredible run. Not many other managers would have done that. Wenger is a great manager.
capello dropped beckham to win la liga.
Like I said though there is no doubting wenger's CV. i just think he is a tired old man now. happy to be proved wrong of course

Munchies
28-08-2013, 10:34 AM
It appears Mathieu Flamini is taking nothing for granted at Arsenal.

The 29-year-old has been training with the first team for some time and manager Arsene Wenger is poised to hand his former player a contract to return following his release from AC Milan.

Yet Flamini is understood to be shunning simple perks enjoyed by the players until his deal is confirmed — despite several offers, the midfielder has so far refused to park his car in the area reserved for the first-team squad at Arsenal’s London Colney training ground.

Instead, the Frenchman has opted for a space further away from the front door, usually occupied by club staff and often used as a visitors’ overflow.

One interpretation of this is it shows clear evidence of the humble and thoughtful character Wenger is keen to re-employ as Arsenal bolster their squad with much-needed additions in the final week of the transfer window.

Surely, Flamini will jump at the chance to rejoin the Gunners: the deal makes sense on either side.

But after the summer Arsenal have had, Wenger could be forgiven for momentarily fearing it is proof another target is just passing through.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/mathieu-flamini-shows-his-class-at-arsenal-training-ground-8787187.html

Munchies
28-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Arsenal agree terms with former player Mathieu Flamini (Sky Italia)

Probably being announced today.

Press conference at 7 :coffee:

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 10:40 AM
A wonderful use of our new found resources.

Cripps_orig
28-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Don't mind this signing. He's a good player as we saw in his first spell.

Good squad player.

Need more players though which we won't get

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Don't mind him as a player for squad purposes but it smacks of penny pinching, again.

milla
28-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Arsenal agree terms with former player Mathieu Flamini (Sky Italia)

Probably being announced today.

Press conference at 7 :coffee:

7 am :coffee:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Good to have a player that runs about and shows pashun.

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Don't mind him as a player for squad purposes but it smacks of penny pinching, again.

That's one of AW's 1-2 super super quality signings.

The other one is peg leg, but don't worry we are working very hard, 24 hours a day on transfers :coffee:

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Good to have a player that runs about and shows pashun.

Now you mention it, I think he's actually the French BSP.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Flamini has the super quality of being free so he is a great player but I do not want to name him. I must tell you, Dick Law is here from his holiday to do what he can. This player wants to play for us and he trains with us and is free, I cannot tell you more than that. It is not simple but we will do what we can. Is it possible? Yes, why not? It is 50/50 if we work 24 hours every day.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 11:27 AM

I think he probably is, though he can actually score belters for good teams, occasionally.

Syn
28-08-2013, 11:34 AM
How bad were his injuries? He should be entering the prime years of his career for a DM. No idea why he'd settle for a squad role. If he can still run around quickly and kick opponents I'd take him.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Good because that's all you are getting. He'll play a few games and then get crocked for two years, ideal for us.

Munchies
28-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Here are a few vids of Flamini for AC, this one is against us during the Emirates cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtDRBdofXos

Munchies
28-08-2013, 11:43 AM
All his goals last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJ3D3ld_4I

Not a bad signing imo

Cripps_orig
28-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Well if we can't get the original, lets get an equivalent.

Should've got Parker from West Ham where he was brilliant but we got Arteta instead.

Spuds got him and the rest as they say is history.

Parker goes on to excel at Spuds before injury took its toll. Arteta is laughed at by his own fans

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I mean congratulations to the board. We start the season looking at Higuain and end it saying fuck, get anyone, Flamini will do. Nobody can say these guys aren't good at what they do.

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 11:51 AM
How bad were his injuries? He should be entering the prime years of his career for a DM. No idea why he'd settle for a squad role. If he can still run around quickly and kick opponents I'd take him.

He missed the entire 11/12 season and only managed something like 20 games last season. :lol:

I think he'd probably settle for a squad role because he knows he's heading for the nackers yard and we're his best option right now.

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:55 AM
He missed the entire 11/12 season and only managed something like 20 games last season. :lol:

I think he'd probably settle for a squad role because he knows he's heading for the nackers yard and we're his best option right now.

He was a squaddie for Milan and never good enough to be better even when they were ageing, don't see why he should be anything more than a squad player right now.

selassie
28-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Was obvious we were going to sign him up, he's free after all. We wouldn't have gone near him if he commanded a transfer fee.

What do I think of this signing? Meh...just a squaddie I suppose, I'll be honest, I've not really followed his career since he walked out on us after that breakthrough season.

Özim
28-08-2013, 12:15 PM
He's not special never was, he can come in as a backup but we don't even have a quality defensive midfielder for him to cover for. We've fallen so far our targets are now free transfers noone really wants anymore.

LDG
28-08-2013, 02:14 PM
He wants 75k a week allegedly :faint:

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 02:17 PM
He wants 75k a week allegedly :faint:

He heard a rumour we pay huge money to mediocre players.

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 02:56 PM
75k is fine, our overpaid dross quota is low at the moment.

GP
28-08-2013, 02:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kDvB8oF.jpg

Munchies
28-08-2013, 03:52 PM

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/B4C96ZTJIhU/hqdefault.jpg

Power n Glory
28-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Is it 2008 again? Deja Vu.

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Just need Hleb and Cisc back.

GP
28-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Just need Hleb back and Cisc back.

Yes please.

Hleb can make the tea.

Power n Glory
28-08-2013, 04:21 PM

We'll soon know for sure what really motivates him.

Fist of Lehmann
28-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Good thing we front loaded that big sponsorship deal.

Master Splinter
28-08-2013, 07:39 PM
He has officially come home, according to @GeoffArsenal (https://twitter.com/GeoffArsenal).

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 07:40 PM
I won't believe it until they have the bald faced cheek to announce it on Pravda.com

Master Splinter
28-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Thought you were getting an early night.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Thought you were getting an early night.

I changed my fucking mind. If that's okay with you!?

LDG
28-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I changed my fucking mind. If that's okay with you!?

Someones tired :rolleyes:

Go to bed N_Q

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Someones tired :rolleyes:

Go to bed N_Q

Why do I have to go to bed and Cripps gets to stay up?

GP
28-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Why do I have to go to bed and Cripps gets to stay up?

You can go with him if you like.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 08:29 PM
You can go with him if you like.

Good idea, otherwise it would be my word against MS'

Munchies
29-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Apparently he's getting £50k a week, 3 year deal . Deal is done.

GP
29-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Who confirmed it? Geoff or Gooney?

Munchies
29-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Goal.com :getcoat:

Cripps_orig
Hasn't he been training with us for weeks now?

Impressive how we can long out a deal for a free transfer

GP

Arguably even worse

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Goal.com :getcoat:

Goal :haha:

LDG
29-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Hasn't he been training with us for weeks now?

Impressive how we can long out a deal for a free transfer

Tbf to Flamini, he doesn't have to rush, as he's a free agent and can sign for anyone outside of the transfer window.

Knowing him, he'll be creaming every penny he can.

Penguin
29-08-2013, 08:47 AM
If we wait until deadline day we save ££££££ on his weekly wages! :dancingman:

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Flamini doesn't seem the sort to give a fuck about money.

Saw out his contracts at both Arsenal and AC where he was no doubt offered new deals for more money but he left seeking new challenges which is fine.

Flamster :bow:

Restoring our faith in footballers

LDG
29-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Flamini doesn't seem the sort to give a fuck about money.

Saw out his contracts at both Arsenal and AC where he was no doubt offered new deals for more money but he left seeking new challenges which is fine.

Flamster :bow:

Restoring our faith in footballers

He stands to make much more money by running down his contracts. Hefty signing on fees and hyper-wages, because there's no fee attached.

I don't think he's ever left mid-contract, which on the outside may look admirable, but really, it's a means to hiking up his cash haul.

He's a trained lawyer isn't he....so, he's not exactly stupid.

Penguin
29-08-2013, 08:52 AM
It's the opposite. He left on a free from Marseille, us and Milan so he could get more wages, since those clubs would be saving millions on the transfer fee.

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 08:55 AM

He stands to make much more money by running down his contracts. Hefty signing on fees and hyper-wages, because there's no fee attached.

I don't think he's ever left mid-contract, which on the outside may look admirable, but really, it's a means to hiking up his cash haul.

He's a trained lawyer isn't he....so, he's not exactly stupid.
Such a glum view you have.

I'm a naturally optimistic person and tend to see the best in people

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 08:56 AM
It's the opposite. He left on a free from Marseille, us and Milan so he could get more wages, since those clubs would be saving millions on the transfer fee.

Well you're not going to leave your work place and go to another for less pay.

I have no problem with Flamini did. I'd have loved it if he stayed but AC came calling and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for a poor boy growing up in France.

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 09:01 AM
3 months ago I didn't expect us to be here a few days from deadline day having only picked up a couple of strays in Sanogo and Flamini. Not even in my worst case scenario did I picture this.

Penguin
29-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Poor boy :lol:

Wasn't he on £80k/week at Milan?

Özim
29-08-2013, 09:21 AM
3 months ago I didn't expect us to be here a few days from deadline day having only picked up a couple of strays in Sanogo and Flamini. Not even in my worst case scenario did I picture this.

Yeah me neither, but with Wenger in charge it's better to expect the worst, I'd hate to spend Christmas at his house.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 09:23 AM

I don't think anyone ever saw Flamini coming back to us after he left in 08

Such is the current predicament though, wouldn't be surprised to see Hleb back

LDG
29-08-2013, 09:27 AM

http://bizzam.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/sean-bean-as-boromir.jpg?w=500

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah me neither, but with Wenger in charge it's better to expect the worst, I'd hate to spend Christmas at his house.

He doesn't have a house, houses are ridiculously overpriced.

Özim
29-08-2013, 09:44 AM
He doesn't have a house, houses are ridiculously overpriced.

I reckon he has a pizza hut, without the pizza.....or the hut.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Or some bank repossession job with big gates so the three evicted kids can't get back in.

milla
29-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Nothing wrong with honouring you contract tbh. People made it as seeing out your contract is a bad thing. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Nothing wrong with honouring you contract tbh. People made it as seeing out your contract is a bad thing. :coffee:

There's quite a lot wrong with Wenger honouring his contract - means we're fucked for at least another season.

milla
29-08-2013, 10:10 AM
There's quite a lot wrong with Wenger honouring his contract - means we're fucked for at least another season.

Well Wenger wants to stay for life with or without contract, man up and live with it. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Well Wenger wants to stay for life with or without contract, man up and live with it. :coffee:

no u

Penguin
29-08-2013, 10:28 AM

It's the way he did it. He clearly wasn't honest about it with Wenger and everyone else and fucked us over, just as he did to Marseille before us.

tjmill
29-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Any news on Flamini signing?
Last heard was training with us is that still the case?

LDG
29-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Any news on Flamini signing?
Last heard was training with us is that still the case?

GW understands that talks were ongoing last night. Everything agreed aside from the wages.

selassie
29-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Yep it's ridiculous and totally unaccapetable IMHO.

The worst thing is we got rid of a lot of dross and cleared space in the squad to add quality, yet here we are a few days left from the Windows end with a thin squad full of crocked players.

Honestly...the best we can hope for now is a bunch of squad player signings to fill the gaps...sad thing is we'll probably try and shift some of these squad player signings in a couple of years.

milla
29-08-2013, 10:59 AM
It's the way he did it. He clearly wasn't honest about it with Wenger and everyone else and fucked us over, just as he did to Marseille before us.

He was honest on the fact that Milan offer him 10k more, what more you want him to say? :coffee:

Penguin
29-08-2013, 12:55 PM
He should have told Wenger he had no intention of signing a new contract, which is obviously what he had planned.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Wenger should tell us he has no intention of signing a new contract, just to put our minds at rest.

milla
29-08-2013, 01:08 PM

McNamara That Ghost...
29-08-2013, 01:36 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/mathieu-flamini-rejoins-arsenal

Official.

Ollie the Optimist
29-08-2013, 01:38 PM
a player thread taht leads to actually signing that player :faint:

Munchies
29-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Me :bow:

The key to my success was choosing a player like Flamini. A Quagriella thread would be the next best bet :coffee:

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Welcome back. :wave:

Make sure you scrote it up good this season.

Ollie the Optimist
29-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Welcome back. :wave:

Make sure you scrote it up good this season.

could have used him on tuesday night when fenerbache decided to kick jack. they owuldnt have dared with flamini responding

Munchies
29-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Take Soldado/Lamela out for the season :pray:

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Good signing.

Need more

Ollie the Optimist
29-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Take Soldado/Lamela out for the season :pray:

or if bale plays, take him out, ruin his move to madrid, send spurs into finacial ruin as they spent the bale without getting it.

instead Arsenal hero :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
29-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Well if he ends up recapturing the form he showed us in his final season here then this can be good. Just need to add more players now.

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Might as well get Hleb back for a laugh as well.

Cisc might be harder but having 3/4 of our best midfield since the Invincibles is enough.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Just went on glory-glory, they've linked this site : http://comeonyouspurs.co.uk/

Its faster than our offiical one :haha:

Munchies
29-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Might as well get Hleb back for a laugh as well.

Cisc might be harder but having 3/4 of our best midfield since the Invincibles is enough.

Cesc's 3 brathers :bow:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 02:03 PM
In June I was thinking get Flamini, would it be possible? And now it happens. What threatened to be an absolutely disastrous summer has suddenly become a springboard for a realistic attempt at the title. Throw in his CL experience and who's to say we won't win that too? Eight long years waiting for something like this to happen, waiting for a change. It's amazing how things can turn around. And to think we got him for free. City, Utd, the chavs, of all the clubs he could have gone to and he chose us. It's a great feeling finally getting one over on our rivals. The tide is turning. We're back!

milla
29-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Welcome back Flamini, I hope he will kick start just where he left in 2008/09. A true combative CM when he is fully fit. :coffee:

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Arsenal confirm Flamini return

The midfielder has returned to north London after a spell with AC Milan and manager Arsene Wenger says the Frenchman is a "good addition to our squad"

Arsenal have confirmed that midfielder Mathieu Flamini has rejoined the club.

Goal understands the Frenchman has signed a two-year deal at the Emirates Stadium worth £50,000 a week, with his contract including an option for a third year.

The midfielder left the Gunners for AC Milan in 2008, making 122 apperances for the Serie A side before being released at the end of last season.

Manager Arsene Wenger says he is delighted that the Frenchman has returned to Arsenal, becoming the club's second signing of the summer alongside Yaya Sanogo.

"We’re very pleased Mathieu has agreed to re-join us," Wenger told the club's official website.

"He is a player of real quality, with a fantastic work rate and great mentality.

"As we know, Mathieu is a strong midfielder, but is also is comfortable playing in defence too. He is a very good addition to our squad."

Flamini won the FA Cup during his first spell at Arsenal as well as helping the Gunners reach the Champions League final in 2006, where they lost 1-0 to Barcelona.

Goal :doh:

selassie
29-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Gareth Barry next?

LDG
29-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Sign all the free playa!

PGFC
Gareth Barry next?

Go wash your mouth out, spouting filth on here.

milla
TBH Gareth Barry is not half as good as Flamini IMO. So big NO from me. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Milan must be gutted to lose such a great player on a free.

Power n Glory
29-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Shouldn’t have let him go in the first place. Goes to show that price rules everything around this club. Would have thought Wenger would have felt personally wounded by the way Flamini left the club. But when the price is right, principles goes out the window.

LDG
29-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Time to dig up some old posts from 2008 GW??

:ninja:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=31468

milla
29-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Milan must be gutted to lose such a great player on a free.

Milan actually did offer him contract extension, I guessed they are gutted. :lol:

selassie
29-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Shouldn’t have let him go in the first place. Goes to show that price rules everything around this club. Would have thought Wenger would have felt personally wounded by the way Flamini left the club. But when the price is right, principles goes out the window.

Yep

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 03:32 PM
http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=31400&st=0

LDG
29-08-2013, 03:35 PM
http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=31400&st=0

http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=31468

Elche

He can go and f^%k himself...the money sucking disloyal tosser.

:bow:

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 03:36 PM
http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=31635&st=0

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 03:38 PM
http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=31635&st=0

Cripps -> Banned :haha:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 03:41 PM
RvP is the Future (of Utd)

Some people on that old forum actually supported Wenger if you can believe that.

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 03:42 PM

Some people on that old forum actually supported Wenger if you can believe that.

That was back when only the seeds of the rut were in place. Only people like Zimm were ahead of the game back then.

zimm woz rite

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 03:43 PM
That was back when only the seeds of the rut were in place. Only people like Zimm were ahead of the game back then.

zimm woz rite

Ahem - and me.

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Some on here still do

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Self imposed ban.

Marc Overmars
29-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Ahem - and me.

You weren't really a mainstream poster back then tbh.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 03:59 PM
You weren't really a mainstream poster back then tbh.

No, more underground and alternative. There were only a few lucky people in my sphere.

Özim
29-08-2013, 04:01 PM
How exciting, he's back, my summer is complete :coffee:

milla
29-08-2013, 04:02 PM
How exciting, he's back, my summer is complete :coffee:

Thank fuck, let's focus on Spurs game then. :cold:

Static
29-08-2013, 04:44 PM

I still do, just less now.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 05:01 PM

My first account that I had in late 05/early 06 got banned aswell :lol:

Just made a new one :run:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 05:07 PM
New rule - no separate threads for freebie players. See what's happened now?

Munchies
29-08-2013, 05:13 PM
New rule - no separate threads for freebie players. See what's happened now?

New rule - only me and Maccy make the new threads

100% success rate

Newguy
29-08-2013, 08:08 PM

http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=35974&hl=

some people is right lool

Newguy
29-08-2013, 08:12 PM
http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=35974&hl=

some people is right lool

That was five years ago, but a little change of teams and player names and that could have been a recent post.....loool....shocking really

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Actually quite pleased that we have brought him back, unfortunately he has arrived back at the wrong time and the fact that he won't have a transfer fee with him will only antagonise people.
Had we made meaningful signings he'd have been a welcome squad addition but now he just appears like masticated blu tack.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Then he got us to the Champions League and FA Cup semi-finals and completely ballsed it up. FFS Wenget.

LDG
29-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Yup. In itself, and ignoring the other needs of the team, he's a pretty good signing.

Had it come on the back of two or three really top draw purchases, I'm sure everyone would be happy.

As it is, it's hard not to feel like Whelmed is on the top bunk, and we're all on the bottom.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 08:21 PM
and ignoring the other needs of the team

Wumger :bow:

Newguy
29-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Not fussed about flamini really, we need additions and he'll be a good back up at left back (yea he'll be playing at left back) gibbs playing Central midfield against fernabache said it all loool. The main thing is that we need more than two free signings.

Özim
29-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Wenger only cares about the cost of players anything else is irrelevant, if he's cheap he's super super quality. His principles are laughable :lol:

How can anyone take this man seriously when he contradicts 95% of what he says, he's got not pride clearly.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 08:40 PM
^ Wenger will go by May next season, may be painful seeing what's going on at the club, but the fucker is going. May 2014.

fakeyank
29-08-2013, 08:45 PM
^ Wenger will go by May next season, may be painful seeing what's going on at the club, but the fucker is going. May 2014.

Inshahallah!

Bergkampwonderland10
29-08-2013, 08:54 PM
let's see if he's still able to keep up on the pitch...not so sure. No love lost for flamini I'm afraid...he got good and then left...and now he's probably not so good...he's back...surplus at AC Milan ...but hey we'll see.

Japan Shaking All Over
29-08-2013, 09:10 PM
welcome to a squad filler, which in fairness we need......hope he isnt get paid a packet and hope there are more and better to come.........cos the mantra 'spend some cun#ing money' can still be heard the top of the pagodas

Munchies
29-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I actually want him to start in the derby, think our 3 of Ramsey/Rosicky/Wheelchair are too weak defensively.

He's been training for 3-4 weeks, should be fine.

Özim
29-08-2013, 09:20 PM
This isn't a good signing, it's a cheap signing...if any fans are satisfied with the shower of sh*t that is this summer they need to have their head checked. The only reason we signed the guy is because he cost nothing, Wenger of course is piping out the usual nonsense but we all know the real reason he's here.

Hope the guy screws Wenger over again, because that's kinda what he deserves after resigning him after what happened last time round.

LDG
29-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I hope he plays well, tbh.

GP
29-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Good signing.

PGFC
29-08-2013, 09:42 PM
It's just like he's coming back from a '3 week' injury.

Xhaka Can’t
29-08-2013, 09:44 PM
It's just like he's coming back from a '3 week' injury.

Penguin
30-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Good squad signing as he can fill in in 3-4 different positions but he's actually a step down in the quality of the players we have in those positions. Even as a DM he's a bit too ball-chasey for my liking.

:doh:

bunsco
30-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Good squad signing as he can fill in in 3-4 different positions but he's actually a step down in the quality of the players we have in those positions. Even as a DM he's a bit too ball-chasey for my liking.

:doh:

No, he has a point - and I was never convinced of he's effectiveness in the role either. Providing the whole team defend properly as a unit(which we rarely do, if ever), a Good DM stamps their authority on a game in the way ,say PV4,Makelele or a Diddier Deschamps would do without the need to run around like a headless chicken.

Anyway, he's now Injury prone and not as young as he was, so hopefully he's gained enough experience so as to not need to do the headless chicken....though I have my doubts

Nayan
31-08-2013, 11:59 AM
good signing. He wants to play, donest ask for huge wages and we need versatile squad cover. Might teach some of them (yeah I'm looking at you denchpong) that its more useful to be an annoying cunt in the middle of the park than an annoying cunt in the middle of soccer AM.

plus if flamini had the good sense to call bulshit on wenger's mast pln five years ago he deserves a pat on the back, not pelters

Munchies
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oswBOJlOBmc

Flamini played well today :popcorn:

Nayan
02-09-2013, 11:25 AM

he was our defensive midfielder in 07/08 -ie the only season when we challenged for the title since 2004/05. rossicky was shit/injured all the time from then to his recent rebirth and hleb has been utter gash ever since.
fabregas did alright of course. He and flamini were the part of the spine of that team. Incidentally, when gilberto was out with a broken back, and we'd ost vieira & edu, fabregas and flamini were thrown in at the deep end vs chelsea in 2005. They totally bossed a midfield featuring lampard and makalele in their pomp and it was only becasue of henry spooning it over the bar when faced with an open goal on his hattrick that we didnt take all three points
Flamini for his part edges out gilberto silva lest we forget. And it was a monumental act of douchbaggery on wenger's part to lose him on a free. Cant balme flamini for having enough of wenger's bullshit and walking either - though he himself acknowledges he has unfinished business here.

focussing on the practicalities though:
1) we need more cover in the middle of the park
2) we now have three squad mmber who can play RB
3) (on vermaelen's return) we will have four options at LB
4) he was signed on a free
5) he is an experienced player who can organise/teach the younger lads a thing or two.

think of him as the sort of player john o shea was at united. useful

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Flamini delighted to be 'back home'

The Frenchman rejoined the club on a free transfer following his release by AC Milan and explains that it feels as if he has never been away

Mathieu Flamini has expressed his delight at rejoining Arsenal, admitting that playing in Sunday’s north London derby victory was like returning home.

The 29-year-old spent the summer training with the Gunners following his release from AC Milan, eventually signing a contract with the club at which he had previously enjoyed four successful seasons.

The Frenchman was signed in time to make a substitute appearance in the 1-0 win over Tottenham, and says he has found it easy to slot back into life at the Emirates Stadium after five years away.

"I really have the sensation of being back home. Playing against Tottenham in a big derby, it was a great emotion, a great feeling,” he told the club's official website.

“Playing against Tottenham is never easy but it is special for the club, for the fans and for the players.

"Of course, for me it was my first game and I wanted to show everyone how committed I am to this club, how I am ready to give everything on the pitch. I hope everyone saw it; I really did my best when I came on.

“I have heard it a lot [that it is like I have never been away]. I feel like I never left.

"There are players I played with before, and even staff, there are a lot of people still here that I knew before and the [relationship] with the fans was just amazing. I just want to thank everyone for the nice atmosphere on Sunday. It was great.”

Flamini was Arsene Wenger’s second summer signing following fellow free transfer Yaya Sanogo’s arrival at the club, but has since been joined by on-loan goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano and €50 million man Mesut Ozil.

The midfielder has been impressed with the quality of his team-mates, and believes everything in place for the Gunners to enjoy a successful season.

“The quality is very high in this team and at this club,” he continued. “That is the most important thing, to have players of quality because that makes a difference.

“The team spirit is also very good, and we saw on Sunday that everyone was helping each other on the pitch. That makes a difference in the big games.”

Proof players read GW :bow:

Good to have him home

Syn
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
"My fitness levels are still very good," Flamini told Arsenal Player. "After what [fitness coach] Tony Colbert told me after some speed tests, I am quicker than I was five years ago.

"It was funny because we made a joke that it was like wine, getting better with age. I still feel very fresh.

"I would say I evolved [in Italy]," he went on. "I'm 29 now, I played a lot of games in Italy and I had the chance to discover a new championship like the Italian league, based on a lot of tactical aspects because there is not a lot of space so I think it made my game evolve.

"I think I'm much better tactically because being in Italy for five years you learn a lot of tactical things in training, what you know is your position on the pitch. Afterwards with your age you read the game better so for your position this is important.

"Serie A is much more tactical than the English league. The English league is much quicker and physical and the intensity is very high from the beginning to the end. In Italy there is less space and that's why you don't have as many goals as you do in England.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-i-m-like-a-wine-i-improve-with-age-

I guess all that talk of tactics is supposed to make us believe him shouting and pointing in the NLD made a big difference. Also interesting to note he is supposed to be quicker than he was 5 years ago.

But can he start 40 games for us this season? That's more important for us given the qualities he has.

Master Splinter
10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
The new Tactregas?

Syn
10-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Possibly. Although at least he's using his priviledged tactical education with us.

It's just a shame the old tactregas has morphed into statregas.

Fist of Lehmann
10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Was going to make this self same point infactually.

Italian football is more tactical, and more defensive. It's not like the Crash, Bang, Wallop of the Premiership.
They like nothing better than a good old tactical 0-0, it's the perfect place for a DM to learn the trade.

All the shouting in the NLD was most likely him going: "What in fuck are you doing?"

Munchies
14-09-2013, 07:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUIY68yCQAEN017.png

He was pretty much everywhere today, glad to have him back .

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Ramsey was everywhere too. It's why having a generic DM is redundant in a team like ours. If you have good footballers like Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere and Rosicky who can cover a lot of ground, work hard defensively as well as contributing to the forward play, it's a much more effective option than having a scrote to break up play and do the water-carrying. It's why Bender was a potentially great signing and someone like Gustavo would have been a big "meh". Not that we were ever in for Gustavo outside the world of daily internet transfer bullshit.

Syn
14-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I love having a DM destroyer. Tactmini is very limited on the ball. But where Ramsey and Wilshere can be pulled all of the place, it's important to have someone like Flamini or Arteta who have better awareness and can cover the space. Today nobody held a fixed position and it worked (especially in the first half) but we generally need some shape when playing against top half teams.

Ideally we'd have someone quicker, angrier, blacker and leg-breakier than Flamini and Arteta but they'll do the job. Good thing about Flamini is he can also cover at LB or RB. Who gives a fuck if he doesn't like it - what's he going to do? He's got a 3 year contract.

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Frimpong.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 07:28 PM
He's only a destroyer of the English language.

Syn
Leave it yeah

GP
#Bench

BOBN
15-09-2013, 11:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUIY68yCQAEN017.png

He was pretty much everywhere today, glad to have him back .
Everybodies heat map looks like that tbh.

Would have prefered Gustavo but this guys a man you'd want to go to battle with. Glad to have our best CM from the 07/08 season back.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Ramsey was everywhere too. It's why having a generic DM is redundant in a team like ours. If you have good footballers like Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshere and Rosicky who can cover a lot of ground, work hard defensively as well as contributing to the forward play, it's a much more effective option than having a scrote to break up play and do the water-carrying. It's why Bender was a potentially great signing and someone like Gustavo would have been a big "meh". Not that we were ever in for Gustavo outside the world of daily internet transfer bullshit.

Having a proper DM gives confidence to players like Jack and Ramsey to go forward knowing someone is there to cover their arse properly. You put someone like Cabaye there and eventually he'll drift forward forgetting his defensive duties, leaving us screwed for the counter. At least with someone like Flamini you minimise that.

You've categorised Flamini with the rest of the players but he's very different from what we have. He's the only real tough tackling player in the whole team. Yesterday he clattered his way around the pitch and although it seemed a nuisance to concede free kicks, it gave our players a vote of confidence knowing their 'backs were covered', as to speak. We don't need players that are good on the ball, we have plenty of them. We need an imposing c*nt like Flamini who just wants to win the ball back.

The sight of him going straight into Diakite in the second half and leaving him squealing on the floor, god that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. We've missed that over the years.

Munchies
22-09-2013, 07:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AWyLG7i2Zo

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-09-2013, 12:01 AM
That video is superb.

Not only does he throw himself about and command others into place, the way he's able to play the ball under pressure when opposition are closing him down is excellent. Something posters like PnG always says is crucial for a DM as he lambasts Arteta for not being able to do it.

So glad to have this guy back.

Ollie the Optimist
23-09-2013, 09:49 AM
just goes to show, price tags in football mean nothing. superb signing so far

LDG
23-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Was it Matty who did that bit of skill on the touchline toward the end as well??

Ollie the Optimist
23-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Was it Matty who did that bit of skill on the touchline toward the end as well??

and then clapped the fans straight after it :lol:

Power n Glory
23-09-2013, 10:06 AM
That video is superb.

Not only does he throw himself about and command others into place, the way he's able to play the ball under pressure when opposition are closing him down is excellent. Something posters like PnG always says is crucial for a DM as he lambasts Arteta for not being able to do it.

So glad to have this guy back.

It makes a big difference having a DM that's comfortable on the ball. Remember when United stuck Rooney on Arteta and shut us down. We struggled to get the ball out of our half and we'll have the same sort of problem against high pressing teams. Was watching the City game and Yaya was just immense. Was able to collect from deep areas and just turn and shrug players off to help mount attacks. I remember when Vieira left they did an analysis of on his role of the club and why we miss him. It was the simple stuff. Just collecting the ball from deep and passing it off. It's an important part to our game. It's good to see Flamini back in the squad.

McNamara That Ghost...
23-09-2013, 11:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AWyLG7i2Zo

Pearl Jam. :bow:

Fist of Lehmann
23-09-2013, 01:37 PM
It makes a big difference having a DM that's comfortable on the ball. Remember when United stuck Rooney on Arteta and shut us down. We struggled to get the ball out of our half and we'll have the same sort of problem against high pressing teams. Was watching the City game and Yaya was just immense. Was able to collect from deep areas and just turn and shrug players off to help mount attacks. I remember when Vieira left they did an analysis of on his role of the club and why we miss him. It was the simple stuff. Just collecting the ball from deep and passing it off. It's an important part to our game. It's good to see Flamini back in the squad.

When you compare Flamini to the rest of our midfield you can see he's not at the same technical level. To my knowledge no-one has stuck a man on Flamini thus far but if we allow teams to isolate and outnumber him, he will struggle as much as Arteta did in that game.

The fact is, previously we relied on Arteta to be the launchpad for our attacks, that's why sticking Rooney on him was such a smart idea - cut off the supply. We don't rely on Flamini in anything like the same way. This year we are supporting the DM much more, AFAIK Ramsey is joint leading midfield tackler in the league so far, averaging over 2 tackles more per game than he did last year.

Plus of course, we are sitting deeper and staying more compact this year. That always helps.

It's worth noting that Arteta's previous season stats (3.2 tackles, 2.9 interceptions, 2.2 fouls - per game) vs Flamini's so far (2.7, 1.7, 1.3) aren't because Flamini is a worse DM, but because he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the load.

Özil's Panoramic View
23-09-2013, 01:53 PM
With the Flamster now clearly our preferred deep lying midfielder, I'd like to see Arteta being given a bit more of an advanced role - one where he's allowed to have a more creative influence.

A bit of rotation between him and Jack perhaps.

Munchies
23-09-2013, 01:56 PM
I've kind of forgotten how Arteta was in an advanced role (eg at Everton). I'd also swap him for Wilshere so he can rest up for the time being

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-09-2013, 02:01 PM
When you compare Flamini to the rest of our midfield you can see he's not at the same technical level. To my knowledge no-one has stuck a man on Flamini thus far but if we allow teams to isolate and outnumber him, he will struggle as much as Arteta did in that game.

The fact is, previously we relied on Arteta to be the launchpad for our attacks, that's why sticking Rooney on him was such a smart idea - cut off the supply. We don't rely on Flamini in anything like the same way. This year we are supporting the DM much more, AFAIK Ramsey is joint leading midfield tackler in the league so far, averaging over 2 tackles more per game than he did last year.

Plus of course, we are sitting deeper and staying more compact this year. That always helps.

It's worth noting that Arteta's previous season stats (3.2 tackles, 2.9 interceptions, 2.2 fouls - per game) vs Flamini's so far (2.7, 1.7, 1.3) aren't because Flamini is a worse DM, but because he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the load.

That is an excellent post.

Power n Glory
23-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Technical ability is one thing but Arteta doesn't hustle for the ball and make space for himself if marked. He stays at one pace and will point for defence to hit it long or out wide if he can't shake his marker. He's not the most agile player and can't play on the half turn. Not saying Flamini is the most technically gifted but I could see from yesterday's game that he'd at least try to relieve pressure from the defence and give them a passing option. You'll just have to watch how he reacts when he's back in the team to see the difference.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Technical ability is one thing but Arteta doesn't hustle for the ball and make space for himself if marked. He stays at one pace and will point for defence to hit it long or out wide if he can't shake his marker. He's not the most agile player and can't play on the half turn. Not saying Flamini is the most technically gifted but I could see from yesterday's game that he'd at least try to relieve pressure from the defence and give them a passing option. You'll just have to watch how he reacts when he's back in the team to see the difference.

Ollie the Optimist
23-09-2013, 02:30 PM
havnt seen this from anywhere official yet but some rumours appearing that flamini said to wilson after he fouled jack "do it again and i will blind you"

probably bollocks but please be true. that would be fantastic. scoring from set piece goals, threatening their players. well and truly out stoking stoke

milla
23-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Your face however is not so excellent. :coffee:

Ollie the Optimist
23-09-2013, 02:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU2kopdCYAEFYX9.pnghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU2kopdCYAEFYX9.png

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-09-2013, 02:35 PM
havnt seen this from anywhere official yet but some rumours appearing that flamini said to wilson after he fouled jack "do it again and i will blind you"

probably bollocks but please be true. that would be fantastic. scoring from set piece goals, threatening their players. well and truly out stoking stoke

Jesus christ I've just fallen in love with him even more.

LDG
23-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Ollie the Optimist
23-09-2013, 02:40 PM
flamini reminds me of lauren. if anyone kicks any of our players, they will jsut hunt them down and kick them back

Power n Glory
23-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Just like Paddy! :lol:

Legend!

Fist of Lehmann
23-09-2013, 02:49 PM

I already know 'the difference' you are talking about, Arteta does tend not to want the ball when in traffic, but the problem was exacerbated by him being the only midfield out ball. Now any one of Wilshere, Ramsey or even Ozil drop deep to pick up the ball.

As I said, no-one has tried marking Flamini, so at present we can't be sure how he would manage that sort of pressure.
The only pointer I can think of was yesterday when Szcez gave him a pass with a couple of orcs around him.
In that instance he did very well to control the ball and come out with possession.

Irrespective of that, relying on your DMs to get out of tight spots is inherently dangerous. Flamini may be well suited to tight games where the opposition press, whereas Arteta may better suit games where possession and controlling tempo is more important, such as in Europe.

Now there's something Arteta probably wouldn't do...

MF Enforcer :bow:

Munchies
23-09-2013, 03:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU2kopdCYAEFYX9.pnghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU2kopdCYAEFYX9.png

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-09-2013, 03:08 PM
"Do it again and I'll blind you"

sounds like something out of Taken :haha:

Munchies
23-09-2013, 03:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUxrEu_CAAAaS2E.jpg

BOBN
23-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Lightyears ahead of Felliani as a central midfielder. Wenger knows.

footloose, the wanderer
23-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Aaaargh! Ye Olde Arsenale

Having a proper DM gives confidence to players like Jack and Ramsey to go forward knowing someone is there to cover their arse properly. You put someone like Cabaye there and eventually he'll drift forward forgetting his defensive duties, leaving us screwed for the counter. At least with someone like Flamini you minimise that.

You've categorised Flamini with the rest of the players but he's very different from what we have. He's the only real tough tackling player in the whole team. Yesterday he clattered his way around the pitch and although it seemed a nuisance to concede free kicks, it gave our players a vote of confidence knowing their 'backs were covered', as to speak. We don't need players that are good on the ball, we have plenty of them. We need an imposing c*nt like Flamini who just wants to win the ball back.

The sight of him going straight into Diakite in the second half and leaving him squealing on the floor, god that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. We've missed that over the years.