PDA

View Full Version : Are our players overtrained?

Nayan
23-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I read something on a running website recently, the gist of which was that if you do great in training but consistently disappoint in races you may be training hard too often and not letting your body recover properly (which is when the gains and biomechanical adaptations in response to training stimulii actually happen).

I recall a Wenger quote about how Arsenal's traditional austrian pre-season "killed arshavin a little bit" and wonder about how injury prone we are. I start to suspect that wenger has players doing too much - rather than too little- in the Colney Creche, and that might even explain why certain players keep getting selected and others don't - they look good in (brutal) training to the myopic one while others (typically those who have trained under different managers) dont fit in - I'm thinking Arshavin and maybe Podolski here.

I dont have any evidence as such for this but if anyone has noticed anything that supports or refutes the theory Id love to know

GP
23-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Well we use those sports bra trackers so I'd say it's unlikely.

AKBapologist
23-08-2013, 07:58 PM
That used to be true a few ses

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-08-2013, 08:01 PM
We have the best manager in the world.

He won't overtrain them.

Özim
23-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah we do too much 5 yard triangular passing consequently the other areas of the players bodies are weak and get injured and the body parts they use for the triangular passing also get injured as they are used too much.

In short Wenger's training sessions are too one dimensional and sh*t.

Cripps_orig
23-08-2013, 08:06 PM
I remember going to some of the training sessions back in the day when I was an idiot and thought Wenger was awesome.

Now I look back on it, all they did was short passes.

Doubt much has changed

Niall_Quinn
23-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Well if they are it isn't paying off in any way, they can barely pass a ball.

Cripps_orig
23-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Well if they are it isn't paying off in any way, they can barely pass a ball.

Arteta can tbh.

Have you not seen his wonderful 5 yarders to Mert/Kos/Verm?

Nayan
23-08-2013, 08:52 PM
i mean are they being run into the ground, not are they practising corners and free kicks

GP
23-08-2013, 08:52 PM
No

Özim
23-08-2013, 09:08 PM
i mean are they being run into the ground, not are they practising corners and free kicks

Dunno but most of them are built like twiglets so it wouldn't take too much to run them into the ground.

KSE Comedy Club
23-08-2013, 09:16 PM
They only thing they are overtrained in is how to get 4th spot at the end of every season.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-08-2013, 10:45 PM
no not over trained just trained inefficiently