HunderscoreCunderscoreZ :haha:

Boss
27-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Ramsey :bow: :bow:

Will be our Lampard this season.

Marc Overmars
27-08-2013, 08:46 PM
A job well done.

Sounds like there could be some dangerous groups thrown up with how the seedings are.

Munchies
27-08-2013, 08:47 PM
A job well done.

Sounds like there could be some dangerous groups thrown up with how the seedings are.

Who could we get ?

milla
27-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Spend some fekin money :coffee:

McNamara That Ghost...
27-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Who could we get ?

I'll do the thread tomorrow when we know for certain all clubs that are in.

Provisonally:

http://i39.tinypic.com/nx2he1.png

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Well played Santi, Ramsey and Jack. Defence okay, monreal did quite well. Giroud and Walcott utter shit. Ches did well apart from one mad moment. Fenerbache poor and resorted to kicking p,ayers instead of the ball.

Nothing changes though. Signings desperately needed to progress further in comp.

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Spend some fucking money please Arsene.

Gooner23
27-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Done the job.

Ramsey superb, and Cazorla is a magical player. How long can we keep hold of him though..

Unfortunately Sanogo and Ryo are no where near ready for the first team. Please spend some money Wenger, please.

Özil's Panoramic View
27-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Great win.

Lovely brace by Rambo. :bow:

Santi. :bow:

Arsenal. :bow:

Wenger now faced with the daunting task of picking the creme De la creme from the flurry of super special quality players all lined up to join, now that we've officially qualified for the CL.

Marc Overmars
27-08-2013, 08:57 PM
I'll do the thread tomorrow when we know for certain all clubs that are in.

Provisonally:

http://i39.tinypic.com/nx2he1.png

Arsenal
PSG
Dortmund
Napoli

:popcorn:

milla
27-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Just finished watching live tele on ITV1, did I hear Lee Dixon saying Wenger is gonna sign two big players before the end of this week? :coffee:

Munchies
27-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow all the other pots have some good teams in there

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Just finished watching live tele on ITV1, did I hear Lee Dixon saying Wenger is gonna sign two big players before the end of this week? :coffee:

Yes, Dixon takes many drugs.

Japan Shaking All Over
Happy.....now for a little bit of wheeling and dealing

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PAPA-LAZAROU-My-wife-now-DRINKS-COASTER-league-gentlemen-/00/s/MzExWDMyOA==/$(KGrHqJ,!h!E8f3!8yH(BPJP2ud)Mg~~60_35.JPG

make it happen....RM bargain bin here we come

milla
Arsenal
PSG
Dortmund
Napoli

Piss easy IMO. On more serious note, how come Dortmund is still in 3rd seed group? :coffee:

Munchies
Arsenal
Marseille
Basel
Viktoria Plzen

:violin:

milla
27-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes, Dixon takes many drugs.

:banghead:

Japan Shaking All Over
27-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Arsenal
PSG
Dortmund
Napoli

Dortmund is a safe bet

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Napoli is the safe bet, our summer activity coming back to kick us in the arse.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Piss easy IMO. On more serious note, how come Dortmund is still in 3rd seed group? :coffee:

It's based over five years. They would have been in Pot 1 had they won the Champions League though.

Syn
27-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Loving Ramsey atm. Not very quick or mobile but he really does give it everything. Always thought he was unfairly written off. It shows a lot of character to fight against his injury and against criticism from fans. In his interview he said he needed up until now to get over his injury - over 3 years since he is finally starting to realise his potential. I think he can carry on like this now - always had a good shot on him, just needed some composure.

AKBapologist
27-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Podolski off for +3 weeks, Ramsey 50/50 with groin strain.

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Podolski off for +3 weeks, Ramsey 50/50 with groin strain.

We will have flamini so all will be well.

Marc Overmars
27-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Podolski crocked for a few weeks.

Di Maria to replace him.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Cabaye to parachute in this week. :scarf:

Munchies
27-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Flamini to do this to Soldado ? (Got the ball in all seriousness)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRp5X_GSkk

:pray:

Özil's Panoramic View
27-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Podolski crocked for a few weeks.

Di Maria to replace him.

Been given the dreaded 3 weeks sentence by Wenger.

Podolski. :rose:

Özim
27-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Good easy win against a rubbish side let's be honest.

More importantly, in AW's post match interview it seemed like signings weren't really on the agendy with Wenger, he was focussing on the next match and as usual saying we are working very hard on transfers.

Ramsey and Cazorla very good.

Özim
27-08-2013, 09:12 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/28/esysy4ys.jpg

Zim :pal:

Another deluded Arsenal fan :rolleyes: how many of these are there out there?

milla
27-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Loving Ramsey atm. Not very quick or mobile but he really does give it everything. Always thought he was unfairly written off. It shows a lot of character to fight against his injury and against criticism from fans. In his interview he said he needed up until now to get over his injury - over 3 years since he is finally starting to realise his potential. I think he can carry on like this now - always had a good shot on him, just needed some composure.

Ramsey is never quick but he is mobile, cover a lot of ground. You can accuse of him of anything but never his work rate, slowly winning me over. Still we have to see how he fair against the technically/physically superior opponents. :coffee:

Munchies
27-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Cesc and Rooney :bow:

WayneGooney :bow:

Japan Shaking All Over
27-08-2013, 09:15 PM

thought that was you trying to get the Mods to change your name again

Marc Overmars
27-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Ramsey is never quick but he is mobile, cover a lot of ground. You can accuse of him of anything but never his work rate, slowly winning me over. Still we have to see how he fair against the technically/physically superior opponents. :coffee:

As I said the other day, he is no longer being handicapped by playing on the right of the attack. He's not quick or skilful enough to do that, so it's good to see him thriving now he's being played to his strengths in the middle.

Xhaka Can’t
27-08-2013, 09:21 PM

As you never go to games, you'll never know for sure.

milla
27-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Cesc and Rooney :bow:

Özim
27-08-2013, 09:25 PM
As you never go to games, you'll never know for sure.

Do you know?

Xhaka Can’t
27-08-2013, 09:29 PM
I've never asked or cared.

Özim
27-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Also Sanogo is the new Henry......
minus the goals

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I've never asked or cared.

You never asking, uncaring monster!

Syn
27-08-2013, 09:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Feck6qa.jpg

Ollie the Optimist
27-08-2013, 10:05 PM
another superb display from ramsey. his second goal, just stunning. first time. bang. back of the net. sexy wengerball.

great display from the boys, champions league secured, just leaves one question.

are you watching tottenham?

Munchies
27-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Also Sanogo is the new Henry......
minus the goals

https://hostr.co/file/w4jsuHHqP0IM/inverted-scoot.gif

Ollie the Optimist
27-08-2013, 10:22 PM
i wish we had flammini for tonight. he would have kicked the shit out of those twats that took cheap shots on jack and santi

Munchies
27-08-2013, 10:24 PM
i wish we had flammini for tonight. he would have kicked the shit out of those twats that took cheap shots on jack and santi

Press conference at 7 tomorrow. He's coming home . Just in time for the bigger twats on Sunday.

Soldado out for the season. :pray:

Ollie the Optimist
27-08-2013, 10:29 PM
also is there still a chance that with febenabche possibly being thrown out that we could have to replay this tie? i mean, if thrown out, could any side they beat in earlier rounds, appeal and say they deserve to have played us, or another turkish side claim they should have had a chance in the competition as the place should have gone to them?

or is it 100% confirmed if they are thrown out it doesnt affect us

Özil's Panoramic View
27-08-2013, 10:44 PM
We're 100% safe, ollie.

No chance of any replay of tie against some other pub team from what I've ascertained. Ascertained as in the match commentator made mention of it today. He said something to the effect that even if we lost the tie, we'd still go through providing Fener got tossed out.

Ollie the Optimist
27-08-2013, 10:45 PM
We're 100% safe, ollie.

No chance of any replay of tie against some other pub team from what I've ascertained. Ascertained as in the match commentator made mention of it today. He said something to the effect that even if we lost the tie, we'd still go through providing Fener got tossed out.

ah ok, glad thats ok then because if i was a team that lost to fenerbache earlier when they were banned, id kick off big time and demand replays etc but at least nothing can happen then

Master Splinter
27-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Ramsey :bow: :bow:.

Fat Santi :bow:.

BFG's skills :bow:.

Szczesny's saves :bow:.

GHELkers playing everywhere :bow:.

Gibbs is a fantastic footballer. I think he might play in the left-wing role against Spufs on Sunday.

More terrible refereeing too. Nearly every Fenerbahce player should have been in the book and their tramp contingent should have all been off.

Cripps_orig
27-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Just got back.

As easy a win as we'll ever get.

Ramsey looking good. Cazorla as well.

We were already through before this match so not much to say about this.

Negatives however, Monreal is horrific. Need a left back for when Gibbs gets his customary injury. Time for Baines to come home. Sanogo played his part for the 2nd but his first 3 touches were of a postman. We need a striker.

Wilshere just doesn't look right. He should be doing what Ramsey is. Theo and Giroud were ok. Former unlucky not to score with a great free kick but got an assist for the first.

How long is Podolski out for?

Mert was awesome. Best CB we have by a mile. Gibbs was excellent when he came on. Ryo not good enough

Cripps_orig
27-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Arsčne Wenger addressed the media after Arsenal beat Fenerbahce 2-0 on Tuesday night. Below are some of the highlights of the press conference:

on securing a group stage place…
We completed the job and we had some problems to get into the pace of the game. Overall, especially in the second half, we controlled the game and did a professional job. It was maybe not a very exciting game but we did what we had to do. Overall we scored five goals and didn't concede so we are in the group stage. That's what we wanted.

on injuries…
That's the negative of tonight. We paid a heavy price on the injury front because we lost Podolski. I don't know how bad Ramsey is. I don't know how Wilshere responds to an ankle problem. We have to check that [on Wednesday] morning.

on the fouls at the end of the game…
Yes, the two tackles on Wilshere were disappointing. I cannot change it now. He looks alright. Podolski is definitely out for 21 days and Ramsey we have to check how severe his groin is tomorrow.

on if he considered replacing Wilshere…
I wanted to take him off. Yes, of course. I would have played with 10 men. We were 2-0 up. They had to score five goals in 10 minutes. I think even with 10 minutes, we could have avoided that!

on if Wilshere wanted to play on…
He wanted to go on, yes.

on if game has further heightened the need for new signings…
We have to see how bad the injuries are. I cannot tell you more than we are on the market. Everybody knows. The whole world knows that now. I cannot be more creative than that in the press conferences because all has been said and nothing has been concluded yet so I can understand your questions but I cannot give you more answers at the moment.

on if Wilshere and Ramsey will feature at the weekend…
Jack should be alright for Sunday and I'm hopeful on Aaron as well. I don't know how bad it is. I took Ramsey off with three or four minutes to go but I don't know how bad it is. I haven't seen him yet.

on if he made the decision to take Ramsey off…
Yes. He wanted to stay on.

on Juan Mata's father reportedly being in the stadium…
I have heard like you, because I watched the game last night, that Juan Mata could be on the market. I don't know. There's anyway a reluctance in England to sell to each other.

on Ramsey's performance…
He gets to the end of things now. I liked especially his second goal. It's a good finish and a year ago he would not have taken that chance the way he took it here. He's improving from week to week. That's very positive for us because a year ago, many people were questioning Aaron Ramsey.

on reaching group stage of Champions League for 16th consecutive season…
I believe that at the top level, the most difficult is to be consistent. Of course it's an achievement because if you look at the clubs in Europe who have done it, there are only three clubs that have done it in the whole of Europe. I hear a lot that it's not enough and I agree with that. But still it shows that we have been remarkably consistent. Our ambition is much higher than that and I take that on board from everybody.

on if Podolski's hamstring could have been torn…
I think Podolski will be out for about three weeks.

on if he's accepted that he will not sign Wayne Rooney…
Look we cannot speak about players who are under contract with other clubs. When players are under contract at another club, they have to respect the contract. If you want to buy the player, you have to speak to the club first. I think we have all to accept that.

Didn't realise Ramsey was injured. Hope he's ok.

selassie
28-08-2013, 08:07 AM
We are absolutely f*cked on the injury front and we are only a couple of games into the season. Jack & Ramsey might make it for Sunday but what are the odds they will be playing with injuries/not at 100%.

Wenger, W.A.C? Leaving the squad this thin is totally unacceptable.

W.A.C = What A Cunt

Özim
28-08-2013, 08:55 AM
The seeding system in this competition is a complete joke to be honest, we haven't been past the last 16 in the past 3 seasons, come 4th in our own league every season and yet find ourselves in the top 6 teams in Europe, we're also getting easy points for beating much lower ranked sides and often coming 2nd in our group.

This BBC article illustrates this perfectly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23680545

Letters
28-08-2013, 09:07 AM
:console:

Never mind, Zimm. Maybe we'll lose on Sunday. That'll cheer you up.

Özim
28-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Who will mend your broken heart then? :violin:

Power n Glory
28-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Wilshere has picked up a knock as well but Wenger said he wanted to play on. I hope it's not serious. Wilshere is an idiot for playing on in pointless game and Wenger is foolish for starting him after saying he's only 90% fit and not insisting he comes off after all bad challenges. We’re on thin ice.

Letters
28-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Who will mend your broken heart then? :violin:
I won't have a broken heart, I'll just be pissed off.
I'm an Arsenal fan so I'm happy when we win, fed up when we get a poor result.
You seem happier when we lose.
Odd.

Ollie the Optimist
28-08-2013, 09:54 AM
The seeding system in this competition is a complete joke to be honest, we haven't been past the last 16 in the past 3 seasons, come 4th in our own league every season and yet find ourselves in the top 6 teams in Europe, we're also getting easy points for beating much lower ranked sides and often coming 2nd in our group.

This BBC article illustrates this perfectly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23680545

Who honestly gives a flying fuck? I couldn't care that uefa make us top seed. We are through, just stop finding stupid things to moan about and enjoy a win for fucks sake

Letters
28-08-2013, 09:55 AM
:lol:

Ollie :bow:

PGFC
28-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Well, Fenerbahce have been thrown out anyway, hurrah! they could have done that before they killed Polds, Ramsey and Wheelchair though surely <_<

Özim
28-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I won't have a broken heart, I'll just be pissed off.
I'm an Arsenal fan so I'm happy when we win, fed up when we get a poor result.
You seem happier when we lose.
Odd.

I'm an Arsenal fan who doesn't like to hear AW say how great we are when it's clearly not true and we are flattered by easy groups and seedings in the CL.

I'm not happier when we lose, I'll be happier when things change.

Özim
28-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Who honestly gives a flying fuck? I couldn't care that uefa make us top seed. We are through, just stop finding stupid things to moan about and enjoy a win for fucks sake

I kinda do as it protects us and let's AW praise us for getting into the last 16 every season without really having to work for it as we are given seeding protection due to a corrupt seeding system.

This just let's AW keep up the illusion that we are better than we are and allows him to justify summer's like the current one.

Ollie the Optimist
28-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I kinda do as it protects us and let's AW praise us for getting into the last 16 every season without really having to work for it as we are given seeding protection due to a corrupt seeding system.

This just let's AW keep up the illusion that we are better than we are and allows him to justify summer's like the current one.

We are through to the group stages after a thumping win, if you want to moan after that, moan about no money or injuries etc. don't find bullshit reasons to moan.

Or best of all, actually do what being a football fan is about and celebrate/enjoy a fucking win

Özim
28-08-2013, 10:21 AM
We are through to the group stages after a thumping win, if you want to moan after that, moan about no money or injuries etc. don't find bullshit reasons to moan.

Or best of all, actually do what being a football fan is about and celebrate/enjoy a fucking win

We beat a pub team side, big deal we expected to beat them so it's no surprise to me, as I said before we'll get to the last 16 and get knocked out when we meet a decent side.

It's not really BS, I've brought it up before the seeding system doesn't make sense, if you read the BBC article it clearly highlights this.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Well, Fenerbahce have been thrown out anyway, hurrah! they could have done that before they killed Polds, Ramsey and Wheelchair though surely <_<

Cynical bastards - get the money over two legs, wait to see if the easy option unfolds. Whatever Fener did can't have been so serious surely? Or else there's no way they'd be playing in Europe. Not so serious as say, kicking the ball away because they couldn't hear the whistle.

These are real men of conviction, or else they are men who should be convicted. Can't remember which one it is.

PGFC
28-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Match fixing :shrug: only a problem for Johnny Foreigner.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 11:07 AM
We beat a pub team side, big deal we expected to beat them so it's no surprise to me, as I said before we'll get to the last 16 and get knocked out when we meet a decent side.

It's not really BS, I've brought it up before the seeding system doesn't make sense, if you read the BBC article it clearly highlights this.

It's not going to matter if we only make the last 16, sooner or later we will drop out of Pot 1, like Real Madrid did on their last 16 run.

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:16 AM
It's not going to matter if we only make the last 16, sooner or later we will drop out of Pot 1, like Real Madrid did on their last 16 run.

According to the BBC our seeding gives us an awful of protection ensuring it's very hard for us to drop out, it's 3 consecutive seasons knocked out in the last 16 now after all. This bit is particularly relevant:

Given a favourable draw - which for Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea probably means avoiding the likes of PSG, Dortmund or Napoli this time around - it is possible for pot one teams to maintain a coefficient high enough to keep them there solely through good results against lower-ranked teams in their group.

Arsenal are a prime example of this sort of 'flat-track bully'.

In the past five seasons, the average rankings of the other teams in the Gunners' group has been 55, and they have not even had any dark horses like Dortmund were last year to deal with - in fact, the furthest any of their group rivals has got in that time is the quarter-finals. That happened three times, and the teams involved (Marseille, Shakhtar Donetsk and Porto) lost by a 13-3 aggregate scoreline.

The Gunners, who have had an average ranking of five in the same period, still only topped their group twice, but qualified for the last 16 on each occasion, for which they received five bonus coefficient points to go with the ones they picked up for their results.

So they got an easier group because of their seeding, and consequently qualified from it to get bonus points that gave them an extremely good chance of the same thing happening again the following season. Which it did.

Effectively if we get good group results against weaker opposition it should keep us in pot 1.

GP
28-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Why is this even a problem.

This is good for us, surely?

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:20 AM
It's a problem because it allows AW to persist with this illusion that we are a top side, how often does he claim we make it to the last 16 or qualify for the CL x amount of times. This in his mind supports his argument that his team is something special when in reality it's not and get's an easy ride in the CL, wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact he doesn't feel compelled to spend any kind of money on new players because of it.

Ollie the Optimist
28-08-2013, 11:20 AM

:gp:

its not like there arent things to moan about right now, hes just picking a stupid thing to moan about instead of being happy we won a game.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Well it's good for the money men at the club at very least. So I'm for it.

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:23 AM
:gp:

its not like there arent things to moan about right now, hes just picking a stupid thing to moan about instead of being happy we won a game.

:yawn: People like you compound the problem at the club, you're constantly in denial and support the establishment whatever they say and do. No wonder f*ck all ever changes, why would it?

Ollie the Optimist
28-08-2013, 11:28 AM
:yawn: People like you compound the problem at the club, you're constantly in denial and support the establishment whatever they say and do. No wonder f*ck all ever changes, why would it?

people like me? you mean people like me who enjoy it when Arsenal win a fucking game? because thats what supporting a team is all about, its not about worrying wether we deserve to be in pot 1 or pot56, its about winning every game we play. and when we win, im happy, when we lose, I'm upset. but yes its people like me who ruin this club.

there is a lot to moan about right now, lack of signings, injuries, wether to change a manager or not, but worrying about which pot we get drawn in, is not something to worry about.

actually, supporting a club comes down to one thing. watching the game, and cheering on the team to the win. thats what football is about, winning. not about which seeds you are, which transfers, its winning. but of course, fans like me, who are happy when the club wins, are ruining this club,

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 11:30 AM
According to the BBC our seeding gives us an awful of protection ensuring it's very hard for us to drop out, it's 3 consecutive seasons knocked out in the last 16 now after all. This bit is particularly relevant:

Given a favourable draw - which for Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea probably means avoiding the likes of PSG, Dortmund or Napoli this time around - it is possible for pot one teams to maintain a coefficient high enough to keep them there solely through good results against lower-ranked teams in their group.

Arsenal are a prime example of this sort of 'flat-track bully'.

In the past five seasons, the average rankings of the other teams in the Gunners' group has been 55, and they have not even had any dark horses like Dortmund were last year to deal with - in fact, the furthest any of their group rivals has got in that time is the quarter-finals. That happened three times, and the teams involved (Marseille, Shakhtar Donetsk and Porto) lost by a 13-3 aggregate scoreline.

The Gunners, who have had an average ranking of five in the same period, still only topped their group twice, but qualified for the last 16 on each occasion, for which they received five bonus coefficient points to go with the ones they picked up for their results.

So they got an easier group because of their seeding, and consequently qualified from it to get bonus points that gave them an extremely good chance of the same thing happening again the following season. Which it did.

Effectively if we get good group results against weaker opposition it should keep us in pot 1.

It's a really bad article, though I should not be surprised from the BBC anymore. We'll lose the points we gained from making the semi-final for next season's competition and assuming last 16 is the best we manage then that will be 10 points less added to our total, making us very close to the 90 odd points that the top Pot 2 teams have. Plus it does not take in to account whilst we make the last 16 and go out with coefficient of somewhere of 16 points, teams can supercede that by up to 20 more points by going on to win or make the final of the Europa League!

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 11:32 AM
There's a good chance we may even get some strong teams in the group this year.

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:35 AM
people like me? you mean people like me who enjoy it when Arsenal win a fucking game? because thats what supporting a team is all about, its not about worrying wether we deserve to be in pot 1 or pot56, its about winning every game we play. and when we win, im happy, when we lose, I'm upset. but yes its people like me who ruin this club.

there is a lot to moan about right now, lack of signings, injuries, wether to change a manager or not, but worrying about which pot we get drawn in, is not something to worry about.

actually, supporting a club comes down to one thing. watching the game, and cheering on the team to the win. thats what football is about, winning. not about which seeds you are, which transfers, its winning. but of course, fans like me, who are happy when the club wins, are ruining this club,

Here we go childish insults again, that's what you're all about...clap clap I bet you feel clever now :console:

Yeah that's right support the club and let them get away with whatever they want and line their pockets so they can buy their yachts, how intelligent, I apologise, clearly you're smarter than all the rest of us put together.

Every season it's the same with you, some BS about one more season and then the following summer it starts again, you're like Wenger you never change and who can blame him, profits rolling in, transfer spending at a minimum, salaries and bonuses at a record high it's all good really.

Football is not the same as it was 20 years ago, it's a business, you basically don't give a sh*t if nothing changes that's what you essentially mean even if your hollow words say different, so in a sense yes you're helping this club to become what it is today whether you like it or not.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Indeed. We drew Borussia Dortmund two seasons ago and granted they were undercooked it for it but nobody thought that would be the case at the time!

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:38 AM
It's a really bad article, though I should not be surprised from the BBC anymore. We'll lose the points we gained from making the semi-final for next season's competition and assuming last 16 is the best we manage then that will be 10 points less added to our total, making us very close to the 90 odd points that the top Pot 2 teams have. Plus it does not take in to account whilst we make the last 16 and go out with coefficient of somewhere of 16 points, teams can supercede that by up to 20 more points by going on to win or make the final of the Europa League!

You're forgetting the clubs from pot 2 we're competing in probably have harder groups and thus will most likely pick up less points in the group stages (which call counts), with regards the Europa league perhaps but there's a number of CL teams in there, there's no guarantee of winning it or getting to the final.

The fact we're still in the top 6 teams despite 3 seasons in the last 16 (even before that what was it last 8 for 2 seasons which isn't even top 6) suggest there's a good chance we'll be staying there if we make last 16 again.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 11:45 AM

He has a point Ollie. The point is not to say you aren't a fan, it's to say that sometimes fans (or the electorate) have to stand up and be counted when the controlling authorities are feathering their nests while claiming to be representing the interests of those who fund the enterprise. You can be a loyal fan and still punch the boss in the face, sometimes that's what you have to do to redress the balance. It depends why you think the club exists. In the most practical sense it seems to be Arsenal exists to make profits for the few while creaming it off the many. But the stated aim is to compete at the highest level possible. We aren't doing that because of the actions of a greedy few who are abusing the loyalty of the fans. So it's great to cheer the team when they step up and deliver, which they have done over the last couple of games. But you can still be punching the greedy bastard in charge in the face and it's in your interest to focus on getting a good shot in because in the end if they are forced to do their job then everyone benefits.

I say well done lads, good performances, Wenger out and drop dead Ivan and Stan.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 11:48 AM
You're forgetting the clubs from pot 2 we're competing in probably have harder groups and thus will most likely pick up less points in the group stages (which call counts), with regards the Europa league perhaps but there's a number of CL teams in there, there's no guarantee of winning it or getting to the final.

The fact we're still in the top 6 teams despite 3 seasons in the last 16 (even before that what was it last 8 for 2 seasons which isn't even top 6) suggest there's a good chance we'll be staying there if we make last 16 again.

The teams with high coefficents from Pot 2 have proven themselves to be fairly good consistently, hence it's not going to be a walk in the park for us in general either and in theory, they will be one of the sides that has a chance to make it through along with us. And indeed, there are Champions League teams that drop to the Europa League, like Benfica, that dropped out of the Champions League, made the Europa League final and in conjuction with all else that they have done over the last five seasons are now very close to us, in Pot 1.

The reason we have that high coefficient is due to the aforementioned semi-final from 2008/2009 being counted which will not be the case next season. Take that away now and add 16 points instead (like we got in 06/07)...we'd be five points ahead of Porto and six ahead of Benfica. That is not very much at all.

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I didn't realise how close another last 16 exit would send us to pot 2.

Özim
28-08-2013, 11:58 AM
The teams with high coefficents from Pot 2 have proven themselves to be fairly good consistently, hence it's not going to be a walk in the park for us in general either and in theory, they will be one of the sides that has a chance to make it through along with us. And indeed, there are Champions League teams that drop to the Europa League, like Benfica, that dropped out of the Champions League, made the Europa League final and in conjuction with all else that they have done over the last five seasons are now very close to us, in Pot 1.

The reason we have that high coefficient is due to the aforementioned semi-final from 2008/2009 being counted which will not be the case next season. Take that away now and add 16 points instead (like we got in 06/07)...we'd be five points ahead of Porto and six ahead of Benfica. That is not very much at all.

True however neither Porto nor Benfica will do much in the CL as they're not top sides, I think we'd still maintain our top seed status is we made the last 16 considering we'll probably do well in our group.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2013, 12:02 PM
We're like a minor nation's champion, we turn up but we have no chance of reaching the big games. Filler material for the competition. It's the legacy of a decent team that keeps us in pot 1 and as that legacy recedes it's inevitable we find our true position. Very reflective of everything that has been happening at the club.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-08-2013, 12:05 PM
True however neither Porto nor Benfica will do much in the CL as they're not top sides, I think we'd still maintain our top seed status is we made the last 16 considering we'll probably do well in our group.

Porto or Benfica are in Pot 1 though, which means if they aren't going to do well, then teams from the other pots have to, instead of them. However Porto or Benfica are more likely to get a second chance at a European competition and in lieu improve their coefficient. It also means if we don't make the quarter final then there are eight teams more that will. Eight does not go in to seven other teams aside from us in Pot 1.

If we only at maximum get 21 points then that is only just going to be enough, for five seasons. I forgot to mention we made the QF in 2009/2010 so that's counted currently also but again, won't be in two seasons tme.

Real Madrid dropped out by only making last 16 and they usually annihilate their groups. The same is likely to be true with us, if we don't at least make the QF once, soon.

selassie
28-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Which may be a good thing? Though it could go either way with us, never know which Arsenal is going to turn up.

Marc Overmars
28-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Which may be a good thing? Though it could go either way with us, never know which Arsenal is going to turn up.

There's no chance in hell we're going to win this competition so I'd prefer to see us take on some decent teams in the group for a change. If we still manage to get through then I'd feel a lot better about our chances knowing we've overcome some dangerous sides already.

selassie
28-08-2013, 12:26 PM
There's no chance in hell we're going to win this competition so I'd prefer to see us take on some decent teams in the group for a change. If we still manage to get through then I'd feel a lot better about our chances knowing we've overcome some dangerous sides already.

Yeah me too. Might aswell enjoy the group stages.

Özim
28-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Agree with this, I don't enjoy watching us play cannon fodder until we get to the last 16 only to be outclassed, would rather we played quality teams.

Letters
28-08-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree actually, I'd rather see us get a tougher group. Teams I can get excited about seeing us play.

The Emirates Gallactico
28-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Ryo highlights already have 31k+ views

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsOjeasCGHo

Japanese Arsenal fans :bow:

Ryo :bow:

Worth the signing just for marketing reasons alone.