PDA

View Full Version : How many players do you think we actually need?

AKBapologist
29-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Deadline day is fast approaching and I guess some of you have seen the team sheet, glanced at spurs and seen the buys our rivals have made to strengthen their squad, whilst Arsenal first 11's dropped like flies to injuries, and reserve team matches cancelled to help pad out the bench.

Are you in the 1 or 2 super super quality camp? Or do you think we're half a squad short?

Cast your vote and state the positions you'd want strengthening, and come September 2nd, we see just how close we came, or how far away we are, from having a competitive team.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 11:18 PM
1- Experienced Goalkeeper (Julio Cesar fits the exact criteria ffs)
2- Quality CDM (Lars Bender, we got Flamini yes, but he should be a bench player)
3- Right Back (If Sagna moves to CB from now)
4- CAM/Winger (Di Maria)
5- Striker (Who's left ??? )

Ollie the Optimist
29-08-2013, 11:18 PM
we wont sign anyone else now. so thats my vote for september 2nd :good:

however IMO what we need is 3-4 players added to a fit squad. with our injuries now, we still need those 3-4 but also the long term injured to be replaced/covered properly so thats ox, verm, podolski, arteta.

so thats 8 players we need.

of the 3-4. id say top striker, a DM, a winger and a keeper.

GP
29-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Need 3, more would be nice.

Striker, GK and someone else.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Before Flamini signed we needed six, now we need five

Need a holding midfielder, creative central midfielder as cover for Rosicky

Winger, Striker and Centre-Back

AKBapologist
29-08-2013, 11:24 PM
My vote.
We need at least an average, experienced goal keeper. As long as their better than what we have in reserves, then I don't really care who it is.
A super super quality striker, can score from free kicks somewhat reliably, makes chances out of nothing, goes to war for the team. Basically Shrek
A Left winger. Pacey, has the tricks to get behind fullbacks and carry the ball into the box, can cross, tackle and occasionally score.
A good CDM, or CAM who loves to tackle
A good right back. Given the full season, Jenks may be good enough for first 11 duty, but he'll cost us points and goals in the meantime.

Any more would be pudding.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 11:25 PM
My vote.
We need at least an average, experienced goal keeper. As long as their better than what we have in reserves, then I don't really care who it is.
A super super quality striker, can score from free kicks somewhat reliably, makes chances out of nothing, goes to war for the team. Basically Shrek
A Left winger. Pacey, has the tricks to get behind fullbacks and carry the ball into the box, can cross, tackle and occasionally score.
A good CDM, or CAM who loves to tackle
A good right back. Given the full season, Jenks may be good enough for first 11 duty, but he'll cost us points and goals in the meantime.

Any more would be pudding.

Pretty much spot on, but I fear its 5 players too many :rose:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Sorry meant to say Not Wayne Rooney...or anyone English preferably....the only English player i'd consider is Micah Richards.

Munchies
29-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Sorry meant to say Not Wayne Rooney...or anyone English preferably....the only English player i'd consider is Micah Richards.

Not another crock right now, when is he returning back to fitness ?

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 11:36 PM
95% chance of us getting no more players at all, which I believe has been the plan all along, and 5% chance of them being shamed into splashing on one big target. One new player, no matter how good, won't make the required difference. Even RvP couldn't fire us to a serious challenge.

Ideally.

1. Goalie, PL experienced
2. Top quality full back, preferably who could play on either side.
3. World class CB who can work with Merts or Kos, assuming one of the trio will always be suspended/ injured at any given time.
4. Dominating midfield destroyer.
5. Top 10 in the world striker.

In other words - pure fantasy. But we used to have these players (have to go a long way back for the CB admittedly) and slowly they were let go and never replaced.

Cripps_orig
29-08-2013, 11:37 PM
First choice keeper

CB as cover

LB as cover

First choice DM

First choice AM

First choice striker

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Before Flamini signed we needed six, now we need five

Need a holding midfielder, creative central midfielder as cover for Rosicky

Winger, Striker and Centre-Back

if you think we're signing another DM you're hyped blud

flamini, arteta, frimpong and diaby? Also ramsey who can play there too? Nah.

flamini was the DM. Realise that.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2013, 11:48 PM

I do. It's pathetic. Forget about Frimpong and Diaby, write offs. Arteta isn't even a DM. Flamini should be cover at best but he'll be our main freebie provided he can play 60 odd games without collapsing.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-08-2013, 11:51 PM
welcome to the world of wenger.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-08-2013, 11:58 PM
In order of priority:

1) A defensive midfielder

God knows why we just don't stump up the extra cash required for Lars Bender who (repeating for the hundredth time now) was clearly identified as our first main target of the summer. Wenger identified this position as a priority and after one rejected bid has just given up. FFS just give Layerkersun 25 million cash up front and we'll get him. Flamini is nice but he shouldn't be more than a squad player at his age and at this moment in time.

2) A striker

Podolski is out injured and whilst I like Giroud he can't do it all by himself.

3) Another Centre Back

Need someone to push the likes Koscienly and Mertesacker. I like that partnership but having someone ready to fill in will keep them on their toes and make sure they don't get complacent. I want to keep Sagna at RB until Jenks is ready.

4) Wide Player/AM

Someone who can ideally play on the left side of attack. Di Maria would be perfect.

5) Backup experienced GK

Would be welcomed for reasons already stated in previous posts but I see this as less of a priority personally.

JonasTC
30-08-2013, 06:42 AM
I think all we need is a quality holding midfielder and a quality striker, we have good cover on the rest of the field and i think its stupid to go spend money just because we have a bunch of injuries

Marc Overmars
30-08-2013, 07:21 AM

A back up CB, quality DM and a top striker (although a striker can be negated by a super quality wide player like Di Maria).

I_Killed_Kenny
30-08-2013, 07:57 AM
in almost every position.

GK - good experienced back-up (Sorenson, given)
CB - Sakho, howedes, papadop geezer from schalke
DM - flams is great for squad but we need longer term target. bender is a must get, matuidi
AM - cover on flanks and/or centre. yarmolenko, Ozil,
CF - I would have said if we had pod fit for him to be 2nd choice and then concentrate on getting wing players in but now a striker is needed. benzi is the only 1 can really think of, Guidetta from city I like the look off but that's more for squad at the moment. Dzeko if he were to be available.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Sorry this thread is who do you think we need not who do you think we will get. Ramsey can't play there thats why teams run through our midfield at the Emirates.

If the thread was who do you think we will get?. The answer is no one. Our summer business is done (on the purchasing front) . And Frimpong will be sent out on loan before the window closes