PDA

View Full Version : Mesut Özil Thread (official!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

bunsco
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
La Liga is pretty shit when you exempt the top 2 teams there. So yes, I could see Giroud poaching 20 goals a season against other shit Spanish opponents and thus warranting a call up to the Spanish Nat'l team.

Spanish league is much stronger than the French league where he had his best season - also he was playing for the eventual champions where as Soldado was really playing for a 'shit' spanish team.

Also as the Europa and Champions league has shown in recent years - the other 'shit' teams are not too shabby (Athletico Madrid/Valencia/Real Sociedad/Villarreal) when put up against our top 8 teams.

Im not saying Soldado is the cream of the crop - but to say he's average or obviously worse than Giroud after 3 games is nonsense.

Fair assessment can be made after Soldado has a season under his belt...with an inferior team. But i do get the feeling Giroud is about to hit a rich vein of form - better do as we got fuck all backups....

JonasTC
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Soldado didn't play for the top 2 teams though and still got 20+ a season.

Giroud played in a shitter league and was unheard of before firing Monty to the title

You keep mentioning this 20+ goals a season, like its his average... The guy has only one time scored 20+ goals in the league and that was last season. Before that he was a 16-17ish goalscorer every season and the only reason he got 20+ was because he started being their number 1 penalty kicker (6 goals from penalties last season, before it was 1-2), if Giroud had been our penalty kicker last season he would have been around 20 goals for his first season in the premier league.

KSE Comedy Club
05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I had patience for this team back then. Thinking it might come good.

Patience is gone. Seeing the same shit time and time again would kill anyone's hope and enthusiasm for this once great club.

The signing of Ozil is awesome and a start but we need a lot more
I don't disagree with any of that, I feel the same way.

I do believe that giroud is better than he's being made out to be on here though.

bunsco
05-09-2013, 11:36 AM
So they choose to take strikers but then decide they would rather play a midfielder up front instead of a striker. Says a lot about the quality of strikers if the manager would rather play a midfilder up front then an actual striker

So with Torres and Villa at their disposal - they choose to play games in the World Cup/Euro's without strikers instantly making them shitter than there midfield colleagues in their position!! :doh:

Spain are different from any other country in that they have an embarrassment of riches in the attacking midfield area to such an extent that they can get away with playing without a striker and play with complete fluidity - hence the coach sometimes does so.

Oh god - whats the point...

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Penalties are still goals are they not?

It's a matter of self confidence and belief. Being man enough to take one.

Soldado has been

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't disagree with any of that, I feel the same way.

I do believe that giroud is better than he's being made out to be on here though.
He's looking much better than at any point last season.

Is it a blip or will he continue it on? We shall see.

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Holy moo cow. We just beat the spuds and if we can do it again the 6 points will be enough to finish above them this season. That's the challenge, beat them at their place and tick them off the list. We're ahead in this particular match up, half way there already.

The Emirates Gallactico
05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
He's not shit but he's not exactly amazing either. They grossly overpaid for him at 28 million, he's worth at max half of that and Valencia really took them to the cleaners with that deal. It's not that difficult to score goals in La Liga, just look at Vela.

He'll score about 13 goals this season from open play, a similar figure next season before he'll start deteriorating and fades away to the bench before being sold. All in all a pretty meh signing. He would make our bench of course right now but that's only because we only have Sanago and Bendtner, but when Podolski returns he'd be farmed out to the reserves.

Giroud is better right now and will be for the next few years. It is known.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Spanish league is much stronger than the French league where he had his best season - also he was playing for the eventual champions where as Soldado was really playing for a 'shit' spanish team.

Also as the Europa and Champions league has shown in recent years - the other 'shit' teams are not too shabby (Athletico Madrid/Valencia/Real Sociedad/Villarreal) when put up against our top 8 teams.
K
Im not saying Soldado is the cream of the crop - but to say he's average or obviously worse than Giroud after 3 games is nonsense.

Fair assessment can be made after Soldado has a season under his belt...with an inferior team. But i do get the feeling Giroud is about to hit a rich vein of form - better do as we got fuck all backups....

No where did say he's worse than Giroud. You can make your point without making stuff up, you know.

Anyway, Giroud is our striker, Soldado isnt; he's a scum and hardly an improvement on said Giroud, so fuck him.

/debate

bunsco
05-09-2013, 11:43 AM
He's looking much better than at any point last season.

Is it a blip or will he continue it on? We shall see.

:gp:

It's if he can continue to deliver when we most need it...

My god - I got Cripps as a wing-man on this one - never thought I'd see the day.....

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

It's if he can continue to deliver when we most need it...

My god - I got Cripps as a wing-man on this one - never thought I'd see the day.....
If it helps, you're the wing man

bunsco
05-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Holy moo cow. We just beat the spuds and if we can do it again the 6 points will be enough to finish above them this season. That's the challenge, beat them at their place and tick them off the list. We're ahead in this particular match up, half way there already.

Carefull - they thought that the last couple of seasons...

bunsco
05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
If it helps, you're the wing man

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Carefull - they thought that the last couple of seasons...

Yeah but that's them, annual bottlers. What I mean is the striker argument could be made redundant by January and (hopefully?) before we play them again and their new signings have had time to bed in. Personally I think they have lost a lot of creativity from that team, if they can't get the ball to Soldado it doesn't really matter if he's RvP or Chamakh.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Ffs Cripps and bunsco are in agreement.

GW. :rose:

JonasTC
05-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Soldado has been

Thats not the point, you're making him out to be a world class player with 20+ goals a season, thats not the truth. The truth is, he's an average player with an average of 15 goals a season through out his career. Giroud is still young enough to be able to develop under Wenger, Soldado is 28 and now he's gonna use 1-2 years to adapt to premier league by then he'll be 30 and not worth anything. Do you still rather want him, than Giroud?

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Thats not the point, you're making him out to be a world class player with 20+ goals a season, thats not the truth. The truth is, he's an average player with an average of 15 goals a season through out his career. Giroud is still young enough to be able to develop under Wenger, Soldado is 28 and now he's gonna use 1-2 years to adapt to premier league by then he'll be 30 and not worth anything. Do you still rather want him, than Giroud?
Yes.

Proven players are what we need.

Fair enough through out his career he might be averaging 15 a season but that includes his younger years where he probably scored a few goals a season. I'm looking at the more recent season which is relevant and in the past 5 seasons, he's got 20+ in all of them playing for clubs where you wouldn't expect many chances.

Probably not all league goals but a goals a goal regardless of what cup it's in.

Syn
05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
We'll see in time. The spuds midfield is at least competitive if not better than ours apparently, so we'll see who ends up with more goals in the season.

Munchies
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
The Spuds spent £100m, we spent £32m net this summer, and I'd rather sign world class players than 5-6 good ones. We already have some decent players, but its the world class ones who can make the vital difference.

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
The Spuds spent £100m, we spent £32m net this summer, and I'd rather sign world class players than 5-6 good ones. We already have some decent players, but its the world class ones who can make the vital difference.

Do they?

We had a world class striker. We finished 4th

We had no world class players last season. We finished 4th.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Soldado didn't play for the top 2 teams though and still got 20+ a season.

Giroud played in a shitter league and was unheard of before firing Monty to the title

freddy kanoute, julio baptisa and diego forlan got golden boots in that league. They didnt play for the top two either

Özim
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM

They recouped 86 million though.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Soldado has been

Good point. On that basis he is right up there in the Striker hall of fame next to Lauren and Pascal Cygan (both of whom were good at spot kicks).
Oh.

Özim
05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
freddy kanoute, julio baptisa and diego forlan got golden boots in that league. They didnt play for the top two either

Kanoute was very good and socred a lot of goals for West Ham who were really never competitive. Forlan just didn't settle I think, but he's proven at International level as well.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Kanoute was very good and socred a lot of goals for West Ham who were really never competitive. Forlan just didn't settle I think, but he's proven at International level as well.

all three were shit in the league. Come on.
By comparison, giroud's last season in france and first season in England were both better than the comparaqble seasons were for didier drogba.

Just saying

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Good point. On that basis he is right up there in the Striker hall of fame next to Lauren and Pascal Cygan (both of whom were good at spot kicks).
Oh.

I have no idea what you are talking about in this and the other post

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Exactly.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about in this and the other post

you: penalties are goals. Strikers score goals. Soldado converted two penalties therefore he is a good striker
me: ralph and zinedine did that too. Nobody is calling them strikers.

=> logical flaw somewhere along the line.

you're welcome

Ollie the Optimist
05-09-2013, 12:14 PM
They recouped 86 million though.

Yeah spurs net spend this summer is not a lot, however it's champions league or bust for them really. They spent a load of money, probably very good wages too, and want a new stadium. We saw how difficult it was for us to build a new stadium, with champions league money. If they want that new stadium, they simply have to get champions league. It's almost last chance saloon for them. If they fail 3 years in a row to beat arsenal, despite spending over 100 million to close the gap, they really won't be an attractive option.

Syn
05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
The real nayan would never get involved in shitty reasoning like this. Mods should ban these fake TEG and Nayan weirdos.

Marc Overmars
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I believe this is the real Nayan.

Imposter TEG though.

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
you: penalties are goals. Strikers score goals. Soldado converted two penalties therefore he is a good striker
me: ralph and zinedine did that too. Nobody is calling them strikers.

=> logical flaw somewhere along the line.

you're welcome

Yes cos scoring 2 penalties is all Soldado has done in the past 5 years

Master Splinter
05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Did you talk to Per Mertesacker and Lukas Podolski about the Club before you made your decision?

Unfortunately not. It all happened so fast. I spoke to the manager a lot on the phone and he presented his vision and what he thinks about me. That convinced me and that’s why I am now at Arsenal.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/mesut-ozil-his-first-arsenal-interview

BFG :doh:.

Podolski :doh:.

Wenfet :bow: :bow:.

Worthy of a new four-year deal tbh.

GP
05-09-2013, 12:32 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/mesut-ozil-his-first-arsenal-interview

BFG :doh:.

Podolski :doh:.

Wenfet :bow: :bow:.

Worthy of a new four-year deal tbh.

:haha: Awesome

Ollie the Optimist
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
So basically what ozil is saying is:

Wenger :bow:

Özim
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
He also knew he could go out for some Sunday afternoon saukraut and brockwurst with Podolski and Mertesacker.

Özim
05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
So basically what ozil is saying is:

Wenfer :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
05-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Do they?

We had a world class striker. We finished 4th

We had no world class players last season. We finished 4th.

We finished third the season before last.

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Ozil :bow:

Mert :bow:

Pod :bow:

Germans :bow:

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
We finished third the season before last.

I was talking about the 08/09 season tbf with Adebayor as our striker

Xhaka Can’t
05-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I was talking about the 08/09 season tbf with Adebayor as our striker

Really?

In which case you screwed up for an entirely different reason.

Syn
05-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Wenger probably had a little influence. But from what I've gathered from the 7 million recent articles on Ozil, he seems to be more interested in a) furthering his ability, and b) furthering his 'brand' and image.

Being the go-to guy for a CL club will probably help a). And his popularity has already gone up massively adding the worldwide support of Arsenal fans desperate for a big name signing. He was always a world class player but the newer guys Gotze, Draxler(?) are maybe the new talk of German players. A high profile and controversial (wrt the Real Madrid sale) move keeps him in the limelight. Don't think Wenger was absolutely crucial, but I'm guessing.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
The real nayan would never get involved in shitty reasoning like this. Mods should ban these fake TEG and Nayan weirdos.

Im just bored mate. And there arent any proper idiots to poke fun at.

Kano
05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Im just bored mate. And there arent any proper idiots to poke fun at.
you're really not looking hard enough.

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Wenger probably had a little influence. But from what I've gathered from the 7 million recent articles on Ozil, he seems to be more interested in a) furthering his ability, and b) furthering his 'brand' and image.

Being the go-to guy for a CL club will probably help a). And his popularity has already gone up massively adding the worldwide support of Arsenal fans desperate for a big name signing. He was always a world class player but the newer guys Gotze, Draxler(?) are maybe the new talk of German players. A high profile and controversial (wrt the Real Madrid sale) move keeps him in the limelight. Don't think Wenger was absolutely crucial, but I'm guessing.

He goes to Utd if that's his main aim surely? He'd be the go-to guy there too and he'd have RvP to replace Ronaldo. Coming to Arsenal represents a bigger challenge and bigger risk. He said he was pleased to hear our plans for the future, yes just as much chance of that being post transfer bullshit as truth, but let's not entirely discount the possibility he heard some shit to get him excited. Maybe we really have just emerged from an eight year long tunnel. Hope so anyway.

Power n Glory
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM

I think the phone conversation had a lot to do with it to be honest. He was expected to stay with Madrid up until the last week. Credit where it’s due really. He could have had the Moyes effect. Utd are a massive club but nobody was interested in joining them. That says a lot and we really have to bring in a top name when Wenger is gone or he has to leave a really good team with title winning potential behind him if we go for an unknown.

LDG
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Soldado got owned by Kos.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I think the phone conversation had a lot to do with it to be honest. He was expected to stay with Madrid up until the last week. Credit where it’s due really. He could have had the Moyes effect. Utd are a massive club but nobody was interested in joining them. That says a lot and we really have to bring in a top name when Wenger is gone or he has to leave a really good team with title winning potential behind him if we go for an unknown.

putting moyes on the phone reminds me of utd sending Gary Neville to chat up aaron ramsey.
Rooney thinks he's a twat and RVP has had to make a point of daying how much he oves being Moyes boy.

If proper players dont want to play for him I think there has to be a chance he has lost the dressing room by the end of the season. I dont think its the most likely scenario, just that it could happen.
With hilarous consequences.

LDG
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
We have only gone and fucking bought Mesut Özil!!

Özim
05-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Soldado got owned by Kos.

Remember when Robinho was in Eboue's pocket?

What did Eboue do with him in the end?

Ollie the Optimist
05-09-2013, 01:29 PM

A few days ago ozil said he was staying, one phone call with wenger changed that. This is one signing that you credit wenger with. He convinced the player, a genuine world class player to sign for us. Gazidas did his bit by getting the money side right. But this is wengers signing, and he deserves all the credit.

Remember how wenger said spending money on proven quality is not a problem for him? He's right. No haggling, no dithering. He wanted ozil and got it done.

Özim
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I remember when Wenger signed Bergkamp, this is a bit like that.

Letters
05-09-2013, 01:33 PM
"It's important to put the umlaut on the O because then you can see what Daniel Levy's face looked like when he heard about us signing him"
- Someone

:haha:

GP
05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
:lol: Wenger didn't sign Bergkamp.

He just advised David Dein to sign him.

Ollie the Optimist
05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
"It's important to put the umlaut on the O because then you can see what Daniel Levy's face looked like when he heard about us signing him"
- Someone

Spurs :haha:
Madrid :haha:
Levy :haha:

LDG
05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Remember when Robinho was in Eboue's pocket?

What did Eboue do with him in the end?

Probably played a practical joke on him or something. I have no idea.

Robinho :lol:

I remember him.

LDG
05-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Spurs :haha:
Madrid :haha:
Levy :haha:

MÖyes :haha:

RÖnaldÖ :haha:

Syn
05-09-2013, 01:40 PM
He goes to Utd if that's his main aim surely? He'd be the go-to guy there too and he'd have RvP to replace Ronaldo. Coming to Arsenal represents a bigger challenge and bigger risk. He said he was pleased to hear our plans for the future, yes just as much chance of that being post transfer bullshit as truth, but let's not entirely discount the possibility he heard some shit to get him excited. Maybe we really have just emerged from an eight year long tunnel. Hope so anyway.

Word on the street is Man Utd didn't offer enough because they couldn't afford him. His options were us or PSG.

Maybe he lapped up a good sales pitch. Maybe he didn't. But my thinking is that this wouldn't have generated as much of a fuss if any other club had bought him, and I doubt he or his agent didn't know that.

But regardless of how it has happened convincing the first top player was always going to be the most difficult. Consistent £40m net expenditure a year will see us competing in a couple of years max, unless our new manager's moyes or someone shit.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
I remember when Wenger signed Bergkamp, this is a bit like that.

Do you actually have proof of wenger's involvement there, beyond dein supposedly consulting him about it before he'd taken the Arsenal job I mean

Xhaka Can’t
05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I read about it in a book on. Wenger about 9-10 years ago.

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 02:04 PM
putting moyes on the phone reminds me of utd sending Gary Neville to chat up aaron ramsey.
Rooney thinks he's a twat and RVP has had to make a point of daying how much he oves being Moyes boy.

If proper players dont want to play for him I think there has to be a chance he has lost the dressing room by the end of the season. I dont think its the most likely scenario, just that it could happen.
With hilarous consequences.

Rooney should be fairly easy to handle under those circumstances :haha:

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Sauce?

Injury Time
05-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Saucy!##

Indeed.

Özim
05-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Do you actually have proof of wenger's involvement there, beyond dein supposedly consulting him about it before he'd taken the Arsenal job I mean

People have said on GW. Pretty conclusive I think you'll agree.

Özim
05-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I read about it in a book on. Wenger about 9-10 years ago.

Yeah good book that, also great title "Don't Bullshit a Bulshitter"

Penguin
05-09-2013, 03:20 PM

He's a world class player in his prime. I doubt he would leave one of the giants of world football for a bit of limelight that wouldn't even last long. He's probably giving up the trophies and the glamour of Real and taking a big risk by coming here.

Ozil's actually already given the reason. He said in one of his first interviews after his transfer:

In an interview with the German Football Association's official website, Ozil said: "At the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid.

"At the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid. But afterwards I realised that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined."But afterwards I realised that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined".
He has lost the "faith" from his coach/bosses. Which probably means that he was told he wont be first choice anymore now that they have the little spanish poster boy Isco. They might have even hinted that he should go somewhere else to play more regularly, seeing as they needed to recoup some of the transfer funds from the Bale deal.

The reason our transfer was on the last day was because Spurs were delaying the Bale transfer for so long and Real couldn't afford to let one of their best players and fan favourite go before they were 100% sure they were signing Bale. There would have been a lot more teams in for Ozil if he was available at the start of the window.

As you said, Man Utd weren't in with a chance because they only offered £35m~. PSG probably made a better offer than us but Ozil wanted to play in the premier league rather than the second rate french league. Also credit where it's due to Wenger for phoning up personally and talking to him in german and sweet talking him with his vision for him.

Real Marketing :lol::penguin:

Özim
05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Probably played a practical joke on him or something. I have no idea.

I remember him.

Yeah he was the new Ronaldo. Then they found Neymar

Awful Ronaldo.

Özim
05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
He's a world class player in his prime. I doubt he would leave one of the giants of world football for a bit of limelight that wouldn't even last long. He's probably giving up the trophies and the glamour of Real and taking a big risk by coming here.

Ozil's actually already given the reason. He said in one of his first interviews after his transfer:

He has lost the "faith" from his coach/bosses. Which probably means that he was told he wont be first choice anymore now that they have the little spanish poster boy Isco. They might have even hinted that he should go somewhere else to play more regularly, seeing as they needed to recoup some of the transfer funds from the Bale deal.

The reason our transfer was on the last day was because Spurs were delaying the Bale transfer for so long and Real couldn't afford to let one of their best players and fan favourite go before they were 100% sure they were signing Bale. There would have been a lot more teams in for Ozil if he was available at the start of the window.

As you said, Man Utd weren't in with a chance because they only offered £35m~. PSG probably made a better offer than us but Ozil wanted to play in the premier league rather than the second rate french league. Also credit where it's due to Wenger for phoning up personally and talking to him in german and sweet talking him with his vision for him.

Real Marketing :lol::penguin:

A certain artist said it best when he said "Cos you gotta have faith, you gotta have faith, cos you gotta have faith afaith afaith you gotta have faith afaith afaitha!"

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Factor is that worm Levy's activity and I'm sure there was a lot more going on behind the scenes than we'll ever know, until Wenger writes a book about it.

Whatever the truth, Wenger, Gazidis, Law and Kroenke all got together and did whatever it was they did to bring Ozil to Arsenal. No matter how hard I look at it I can't find a single negative aspect to this reality. On the last day they stole ever last clap of thunder from all around Europe and released it over the Emirates and put Arsenal bang on the map again. The overwhelming bitterness of our rivals is almost as loud as the thunder.

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
A certain artist said it best when he said "Cos you gotta have faith, you gotta have faith, cos you gotta have faith afaith afaith you gotta have faith afaith afaitha!"

Bit gay.

Özim
05-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Bit gay.

That's what she said.

GP
05-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Moyes also called Ozil personally and give him a passionate speech...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4

Xhaka Can’t
05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah good book that, also great title "Don't Bullshit a Bulshitter"

Nope, it was a book written about Wenger at the height of his popularity prior to the invincible season. it was in a chapter relating to his relationship with DD before he became manager.

edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenger-Making-Legend-Jasper-Rees/dp/1904095542/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378406255&sr=1-9&keywords=arsene+wenger

BOBN
05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Graham Hunter and a few journos on the Spanish side of things are adamant that Ozil was stalling Arsenal and desperately waiting for United to gazump us.

Who else is starting to dislike this guy already?

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/09/05/mesut-ozil-manchester-united-join-graham-hunter/

:popcorn:

JonasTC
05-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Who cares.

He's an Arsenal player now and after his first game at the emirates listening to fans chants his name, he'll be loving it here.

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Who cares.

He's an Arsenal player now and after his first game at the emirates listening to fans chants his name, he'll be loving it here.

Pretty much.

Football is littered with transfers of players who wanted to go elsewhere but the call never came.

I'm sure if someone asked Craig Mackail-Smith if he'd like to join man utd, he'd love to but the call never comes so he joined Brighton.

Xhaka Can’t
05-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Graham Hunter and a few journos on the Spanish side of things are adamant that Ozil was stalling Arsenal and desperately waiting for United to gazump us.

I have never heard of Graham Hunter, but yeah, I hate him already.

GP
05-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Hunter is talking shit.

Khedira said Ozil told he he was joining us last week.

Edinburgh Gooner
05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm only on page 66 (catching up) and hope this hasn't been posted. There is another one that I saw earlier but can't find it just now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-a1cbha0U8

GP
05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTPswZYCIAAqUF6.jpg

Marc Overmars
05-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Pretty much.

Football is littered with transfers of players who wanted to go elsewhere but the call never came.

I'm sure if someone asked Craig Mackail-Smith if he'd like to join man utd, he'd love to but the call never comes so he joined Brighton.

Yep. If everyone had a choice, they'd all play for Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Not bothered if he did want to join United, it's in his best interests to perform for us.

Gooner23
05-09-2013, 07:14 PM
All those 'experts' talk out their ass anyway. Just pretend to be ITK to justify their self-proclaimed job titles. Little bit pathetic really.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I have never heard of Graham Hunter, but yeah, I hate him already.

Pretty much this^

McNamara That Ghost...
05-09-2013, 07:48 PM
A player waiting for Man Utd to call. :lol:

As if his reps wouldn't just phone them directly.

Rors
05-09-2013, 08:06 PM
At 9:30 AM on the 2nd, SSN told us "Man Utd were in contact with Ozil's representatives. By 10 AM, we would never hear of that again. I wonder why....?

McNamara That Ghost...
05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
And then not long after PSG were about to gazump us. :rolleyes:

Munchies
05-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Sky Sources = Twitter sources

Remember seeing the United talk and thinking ffs he's not joining us.

Phew :coffee:

Ollie the Optimist
05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/09/05/mesut-ozil-manchester-united-join-graham-hunter/

Yeah you'd sign a five year deal with a club you didn't want to join.

Maestro
05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Factor is that worm Levy's activity and I'm sure there was a lot more going on behind the scenes than we'll ever know, until Wenger writes a book about it.

Whatever the truth, Wenger, Gazidis, Law and Kroenke all got together and did whatever it was they did to bring Ozil to Arsenal. No matter how hard I look at it I can't find a single negative aspect to this reality. On the last day they stole ever last clap of thunder from all around Europe and released it over the Emirates and put Arsenal bang on the map again. The overwhelming bitterness of our rivals is almost as loud as the thunder.

Simply put this :good: .., is the fact of the matter and the haters can't hack it right now. Every enemy, rival, partisan journo, fake fan really don't know what hit 'em with this transfer and don't quite know how to cope with the reality.

OZ on his own is not enough, we need a couple more but fantastic signing and a very smooth operation from our usually lethargic motley crew. I'm well made and happy with this transfer! Anyone questioning or doubting this transfer is just a hater, simples.

:pal: To ABA

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Hunters an idiot.

Master Splinter
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Hunters an idiot.

Best Gladiator in the business.

McNamara That Ghost...
05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Hunters an idiot.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/iffygriffey3/GIFS/HHH-Angry.gif

Xhaka Can’t
05-09-2013, 08:44 PM

But enough about me...

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Best Gladiator in the business.

Nah, Shadow was.

Can't forget Wolf of course.

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/iffygriffey3/GIFS/HHH-Angry.gif

Trips :bow:

Özim
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Pretty much.

It's not that surprising, I mean Man U have been competitive for years so it isn't entirely surprising a big player would prefer a move to them over us. What's important is that we got him and we can move forward now, the trouble with our policy in recent years is that big players were less and less likely to join but signing Ozil may reverse that trend, it's our lucky break if you like....sometimes you need a bit of luck to get things going.

Nayan
05-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Fuck Utd tbh
And I never heard of hunter.

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Big news attracts news surfers and repeaters. If Ozil had wanted to go to Utd he'd be at Utd now. Unless Utd were too dumb to snap this player up in which case they are in an even worse state than previously thought - either because they don't have the cash or more likely because they swapped a legend for a mediocre manager who's out of his depth. Or both. This is the numero uno transfer of the summer, nothing else comes close in this country. By the sound of it, Ozil wanted to stay at Madrid. So if we're second choice then so is everyone else. And if we're second choice to Utd then great news, long time since we were able to outgun a money club in the transfer window. And great to see one of our rivals struggling so badly to get it together, long may it last.

Cripps_orig
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Manchester United claim they have no regrets about not signing £42.4m playmaker Mesut Ozil ahead of Arsenal. The Premier League champions were offered the 24-year-old a month ago, but chose to prioritise trying to buy a central midfielder and left-back.
Full story: the Times [subscription required]

Hunter :haha:

Moyes :haha:

Ollie the Optimist
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Turning down ozil to sign fellani. Moyes is so far out of his depth it's unreal

GP
05-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Turning down ozil to sign fellani. Moyes is so far out of his depth it's unreal

Moyes doesn't understand the merit of a technical player. Surprised he didn't go for Peter Crouch tbh.

Kano
05-09-2013, 11:28 PM

probably just wums, idiots and non-arsenal fans.

you know the type don't you?

Niall_Quinn
05-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Fabregas was Utd's primary target anyway. His response - he wouldn't have gone there if they'd have tripled his wages. This much we do know to be true.

bunsco
06-09-2013, 12:18 AM

No ones saying we wish we had soldado, I'm just saying its wrong to judge a player who's just joined a new league as 'very average' after just 3 games.

Niall_Quinn
06-09-2013, 01:41 AM
No ones saying we wish we had soldado, I'm just saying its wrong to judge a player who's just joined a new league as 'very average' after just 3 games.

He's a spud, fuck him. Who cares how he plays? Won't be able to see him anyway because he's in a huge shadow.

Nayan
06-09-2013, 04:42 AM
He's a spud, fuck him. Who cares how he plays? Won't be able to see him anyway because he's in a huge shadow.

More likely Real Madrid wanted psg and Utd to get goosed into outbidding us
Just like Napoli did with higuain

From what I read ozil wanted arsenal much earlier than deadline day

Boss
06-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Giroud > Soldado, will outscore him by at least 5 goals in all comps this season.

And Spurs have made a 3M profit in the transfer market this season, quite impressive hustling tbh.

That said, 7 players to replace 1 and they'll still end up below us :haha: :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
06-09-2013, 07:16 AM
probably just wums, idiots and non-arsenal fans.

you know the type don't you?

Deep man.

Nayan
06-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Giroud > Soldado, will outscore him by at least 5 goals in all comps this season.

And Spurs have made a 3M profit in the transfer market this season, quite impressive hustling tbh.

That said, 7 players to replace 1 and they'll still end up below us :haha: :haha:

they might ahve made a profit on the cost of players, but those 7 players wont be splitting whatever bales salary used to be.
ie their wage bill has swelled hugely.
ok so they loaned out some other players too but you get the idea.

plus they have a stadium build to pay for and we know how that goes...

GP
06-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Yep, they won't be able to spend big when the mortgage is due. That's why they had to squeeze every penny out of Real.

Cripps_orig
06-09-2013, 10:00 AM
FOOTBALL
Arsenal confirm they are investigating "as a matter of urgency" whether academy coach Mark Arber bet on the signing of Mesut Ozil.

The former Dagenham and Dartford defender, whose father Bobby has also worked for the Gunners as a scout, posted a Tweet on his personal account on Monday that suggested he had bet on the German midfielder's impending move to the Emirates Stadium.

The Premier League club are now looking into the potential breach of gambling rules.

An Arsenal spokesman said: "We take this very seriously. All Arsenal employees and workers are well aware of their responsibilities in this respect and we are looking into this as a matter of urgency."

:wave:

LDG
06-09-2013, 10:02 AM
@geoffarsenal :rose:

Kano
06-09-2013, 10:12 AM
ah, now there's the corporate arsenal we've all grown to hate.

crushing the hope of the everyman.

Özim
06-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Dagenham and Dartford oooo are they?

Exarrrrctly.

Fist of Lehmann
06-09-2013, 12:47 PM
they might ahve made a profit on the cost of players, but those 7 players wont be splitting whatever bales salary used to be.
ie their wage bill has swelled hugely.
ok so they loaned out some other players too but you get the idea.

plus they have a stadium build to pay for and we know how that goes...

They also sold Huddlestone, that was huge. More the player himself than his wages but still.

They've always had money to spend, but watching them cope with the financial duress of a new stadium might get interesting.
One things for sure, I can't see them getting CL every year.

Munchies
06-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp admits he does not know why Real Madrid sold Mesut Ozil to Arsenal.

Klopp and his Dortmund side will now face Arsenal in the upcoming UEFA Champions League group stages.

Klopp has backed the opinion of German coach Joachim Low, who was equally mystified at the decision.

"I do not care which player will play against us in the UEFA Champions League," Klopp said.

"But Mesut is a football grenade. No one really knows why he was sold. Maybe Real Madrid needed the money?"

Klopp added: "Real Madrid chairman Florentino Perez wanted to have Gareth Bale, of course, and he paid 100million Euros.

"Florentino Perez once even bought Hochtief (the German construction company). Maybe he just doesn't know in the mornings what he is about to do with his money when the evening comes."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8908817/borussia-dortmund-coach-jurgen-klopp-questions-real-madrids-decision-to-sell-mesut-ozil

Fist of Lehmann
06-09-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8908817/borussia-dortmund-coach-jurgen-klopp-questions-real-madrids-decision-to-sell-mesut-ozil

This appears to be a story about a man not knowing something.

GP
06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
They also sold Huddlestone, that was huge. More the player himself than his wages but still.

They've always had money to spend, but watching them cope with the financial duress of a new stadium might get interesting.
One things for sure, I can't see them getting CL every year.

Spurs sold Huddlestone for the same reason Bart had to give up Stampy.

Nayan
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
This appears to be a story about a man not knowing something.

thats not a defence. Ask Dave Lee travis

LDG
06-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Could be the 'surprise' Wenger alluded to...

P.s I have had a 100% success rate with my transfer threads this summer :coffee:

Just to go back to where it all started.

Munchies :bow:

BOBN
06-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Arsenal to launch bet probe
Arsenal are investigating whether academy coach Mark Arber may have broken FA rules by betting on the signing of Mesut Ozil.

The Germany midfielder Ozil moved to the Emirates from Real Madrid for a club record £42.4m fee on transfer deadline day.
Arber wrote on his Twitter feed: "Lovely bit of 14-1 Mesut."
An Arsenal spokesman said: "All our employees and workers are well aware of their responsibilities in this respect and we are looking into this as a matter of urgency."
The FA regulations state: "You are not allowed to place a bet on a game or competition in which you have any influence, either direct or indirect.
"The above includes all bets related to the following: Any other events involving your club or other clubs playing in the same league competition (such as next manager markets)."

Deserves the sack for still requiring employment. Bet this mug only put a tenner on :doh:

Nayan
06-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Deserves the sack for still requiring employment. Bet this mug only put a tenner on :doh:

if its only a tenner be might get away with a slap on the wrist.
might.

IF he lumped on he should be at least fired

Syn
08-09-2013, 04:21 PM
The Guardian:

Mesut Ozil: How Arsène Wenger convinced me to join Arsenal

• Wenger phone call persuaded midfielder to join Gunners

• 'Reaching Champions League final not enough, I want to win it'

Mesut Ozil has revealed that a long telephone conversation with Arsène Wenger last Monday convinced him to sign for Arsenal and has hit out at the lack of "trust and respect" at Real Madrid. The Germany midfielder, who joined the Gunners for €50m (£42.5m) on deadline day, was persuaded by Wenger, who is fluent in German, that a move to England was the right one, despite the player initially wanting to stay at Real.

"Somehow this telephone call just flicked a switch in me," Ozil told Die Welt. "I thought: 'What he is telling me is what I have missed at Real: transparency, trust, respect. He told me exactly how he sees me [as a player], how he wants to use me, what he expects from me and what he hopes I will contribute."

The 24-year-old, who has already won 48 caps for Germany, reiterated that he is desperate to help Arsenal end a trophyless run that now stretches back eight years. "I want to win titles and will do everything in order to do that. That is my mentality."

Asked whether a tough Champions League draw, in which Arsenal were placed with Borussia Dortmund, Napoli and Marseille, is discouraging, Ozil said: "We will do everything to get as far as possible in all the competitions. I learned that at Real. I don't go into any competitions saying: 'The aim us to reach the semi-finals or the final.' When I play, I want to win."

Ozil, who played in Germany's 3-0 win against Austria on Friday and is set to face the Faroe Islands on Tuesday night, said that he had travelled to Munich to meet up with his international colleagues on a return ticket but that he has now had to ask for a single to London on Wednesday morning.

"I did not even have time to pack so my Dad is sorting all that out," he said, before adding: "The transfer fee has nothing to do with me. I would have joined Arsenal on a free."

Ozil is expected to make his Arsenal debut against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Master Splinter
08-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Wenfer :bow:.

A truly great man. 8-year contract worth £8.5m coming up.

Let's go Gunners.

Niall_Quinn
08-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome Ozil, to the scumbag British press.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2415392/Mesut-Ozil-chased-ex-Miss-Venezuela-Aida-Yespica-offloaded-Real-Madrid.html

Master Splinter
08-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Why has Perez changed his name to John Drayton?

McNamara That Ghost...
08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
He would have joined us for free? Wenger. :doh:

Master Splinter
08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Spending is a quality.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-09-2013, 05:29 PM
It would have been great getting Özil in on a free and spending £42 million on Sanogo instead.

Static
08-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Wenger out.

milla
08-09-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2415392/Mesut-Ozil-chased-ex-Miss-Venezuela-Aida-Yespica-offloaded-Real-Madrid.html

NSFW - Nudity
http://cdn01.cdn.egotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/14/aida-yespica-topless-collection-01-580x435.jpg

I would :coffee:

MOD Note - when posting material like this, put spoiler tags and a warning as people are accessing this material at work

Nayan
08-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Those stories seem to have been planted by Real Madrid to save face after flogging ozil to pay for bale.

BOBN
08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Ozils still reading from the Real Madrid PR depts "suck off the fans" checklist with that "free" line

“I would have come here for a penny,” Bale said. “I just wanted to be here and in a white shirt.”

Munchies
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Perez has gone off on Ozil:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTuNuCtCMAApilg.jpg

Trying to appease his own fans :lol:

Niall_Quinn
09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Perez has gone off on Ozil:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTuNuCtCMAApilg.jpg

Trying to appease his own fans :lol:

So if we can get him to go to bed early he'll be an even better player than the genius he already is? Good news.

Anyone know how much Marketing pays their whore friends in the media to print their PR shit? I hope it's a lot, because it sure is a lot of shit.

Zerlathon
09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Well as the saying goes...

€100m euros can buy you a football kicking chimp, but it cannot buy you class.

Munchies
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Their bid was part-funded by british taxpayers aswell :lol:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11835/8908983/british-taxpayers-contributed-to-gareth-bale-sale-says-david-bick

Munchies
11-09-2013, 01:13 PM
http://youtu.be/ao8mF6uf0F8

Niall_Quinn
11-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Their bid was part-funded by british taxpayers aswell :lol:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11835/8908983/british-taxpayers-contributed-to-gareth-bale-sale-says-david-bick

Marketing and Barca are both corrupt to the core. Nobody will do a thing about it.

Munchies
11-09-2013, 04:37 PM
He's here :bow:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT5Wax1CIAA61B9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT5UE_AIAAA6frX.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1175037_746494835361835_368487719_n.jpg

McNamara That Ghost...
11-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Run DMC? :haha:

I know he recently changed over to Adidas but what a sellout.

Poldi has completed his full conversion to a GHEL.

milla
11-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Ox: Ozil mate, how are you?

Ozil: Good and who are you?

:coffee:

LDG
11-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Worrying that he's obviously visited the Arsenal Hospital already.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-09-2013, 08:34 AM
He'll be in the press conference with Wenget apparently. :bow:

milla
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
He'll be in the press conference with Wenget apparently. :bow:

press conference :bow:

Syn
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Odds on "little calf problem for Rosicky. 2-3 weeks."?

And "theo is maybe short for saturday".

milla
12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Odds on "little calf problem for Rosicky. 2-3 years."?

:upset:

LDG
12-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Odds on "little calf problem for Rosicky. 2-3 weeks."?

And "theo is maybe short for saturday".

"We rate him at 50/50. He has a chance. More chance than not, I fink".

tjmill
12-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Cant wait for his debut now hope hes fit from the Germany games to start but guess will probably be used from the bench?

LDG
12-09-2013, 10:53 AM
With Rosicky unfit, and Cazorla the likely man to fill in on the left side, I would assume he'll start.....

Marc Overmars
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
He's our best player, of course he should start.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-09-2013, 11:18 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/12/1378984362555_lc_galleryImage_ST_ALBANS_ENGLAND_SE PTEMB.JPG

:bow:

LDG
12-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Why is Per running with a skateboard across his back and under his arms? Posture?

Özim
12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
He's our best player, of course he should start.
No U

McNamara That Ghost...
12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
Özil: 'It feels great, I feel very good here. I'm sure the boss will improve me and I'm proud to be part of the team'

Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
Özil: 'I talked to Mertesacker and Podolski about the Club. I've only heard positive things'

James Olley ‏@JamesOlley
Özil on Wenger: "What he thinks about me and what his plans were the most important. I decided to come to #afc because I have his trust."

Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
Özil: 'Of course [we can challenge for the title]. This is one of the biggest clubs in the world'

Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
Wenger: 'Özil has a style that will integrate our style of play. He has all the attributes to be one of our leaders

Arsenal.com ‏@Arsenal
Özil: 'I had a very good time in Madrid.. but I have made the next step, I'm in the strongest league in the world

:scarf:

Fist of Lehmann
12-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Tbf, he was a Wenger signing. :haha:

Syn
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Tbf, he was a Wenger signing. :haha:

Hard to disagree. :haha:

Wengee is little bit hoping for Ozil to carry us up to another level. And Ozil is only here because he wants to move up another level in his own game. He's already one of the top 5 or so midfielders in the world so the only way to improve now is to be the go to guy and start single handedly winning us games like Kos.

GP
12-09-2013, 01:51 PM
http://player.arsenal.com/player/4016-wenger-and-ozil-press-conference

The Emirates Gallactico
12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
The Evening Standard has story about Ozil and his father being on the verge of sueing Perez and RM for libel for all the shit they've spouted since the move to try and stop the anger from RM fans. You know the crap about him being obbessed with models, being a poor trainer, bad for squad morale etc etc.

God I hope he takes that walrus to the cleaners. Will teach him and his despicable club to shut their mouths in the future.

McNamara That Ghost...
12-09-2013, 04:02 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/b13e4868d843a18428cc6897cca51907/tumblr_mt0n30JeIB1qi532yo1_500.gif

WUMger's smile. :haha:

LDG
12-09-2013, 04:24 PM
http://player.arsenal.com/player/4016-wenger-and-ozil-press-conference

Wenger sprechen kliene bit German :bow:

Munchies
12-09-2013, 04:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT9tQxcCMAAA2Tv.jpg

Master Splinter
12-09-2013, 06:18 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/696x392/sep_13/gun__1378990185_Ozil2.jpg

I'm sure this WUMface has been exported from an older picture.

Nayan
13-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Wenger's his dad isnt he?

Niall_Quinn
13-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Wenger's his dad isnt he?

He probably hasn't told Ozil yet though. All in good time.

GP
26-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Didn't realise he was only 5 foot 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

Munchies
02-10-2013, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjJ-McHZtc

Munchies
02-10-2013, 09:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyLZ4ZuGDI

Özim
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
This guy makes such a difference to the team, he's a very clever play and is so creative it allows other players to excel and increase in confidence. For years we've cried out for top players citing the difference they can make, we've got first hand experience of this now.

selassie
02-10-2013, 02:38 PM
More often than not you get what you pay for when purchasing "established elite quality".

I won't deny that I am pleasantly surprised how quickly he has integrated into the team but this boy has been playing at a high level for a good few years now.

We're lucky to have him.

JonasTC
02-10-2013, 06:31 PM
And he's only 24 :drool:

Real Madrid :pal:

Marc Overmars
02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVg2JbRIEAAg_w-.jpg

Ollie the Optimist
02-10-2013, 06:42 PM

we have Mesut Ozil. he is actually our player. i cant believe Arsene pulled that one out of the bag. simply stunning

Marc Overmars
02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
he woz a panik buy

heez like all the ova arsenal midfielders

Munchies
03-10-2013, 08:22 PM
My name is Mesut, here is ur pizza:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/03/article-2442366-187DBCB000000578-202_634x685.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/03/article-2442366-187DBC4000000578-425_634x696.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/03/article-2442366-187DBD5000000578-115_634x434.jpg

Nice car :good:

Penguin
04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
He's fucking shit.

JonasTC
04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Its funny how alot of people are saying he's really unproffesional off the field, smoking, eating bad, "marathon sex", partying, whatever... Funny how he still manages to play 60 games a season and be the best #10 in the world, i say let him do whatever he wants, if thats what he needs to do in order to play like that :D

Fist of Lehmann
04-10-2013, 11:24 PM
"marathon sex"
I'm pretty sure they changed the name to Snickers.

Munchies
15-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Wenger has answered quite a few questions about Ozil :

Arsène, there was just half an hour left before the transferdeadline when the Ozil deal was announced, why was the deal concluded so late?
The timing of the deal was linked to the Gareth Bale deal, but also all the other deals as well because Real Madrid bought Illarramendi and Isco in the summer. When I first contacted Real Madrid, things were quite open. They also needed time for Carlo Ancelotti to get to know his squad better, so he could make a decision. So all these aspects put together explains why it happened so late. We had a big advantage, and that was that I had been in contact with Mesut before, when he first went to Real Madrid three years ago. I spoke to him back then on the phone, in the end he told me he wanted to go to Real Madrid, so I wished him well, but that first contact had been made. He knew that I wanted him for a long time, and this was not the first time I tried to sign him.

The deal more than doubled Arsenal’s previous transfer record, was there any wariness in spending that much on a player?
Of course, it’s a big responsibility to spend that amount of money. But I feel comfortable with it because we had the money to do it. Before we couldn’t have done it because we didn’t have the money available. It’s as simple as that. I had a huge sense of responsibility when we built the stadium to get the Club through it without going bankrupt. The first years were difficult, and also explained why we lost some players. Now we are in a more comfortable financial position, I - more than anyone - want the great players to play for Arsenal Football Club. If we have to spend the money to do that, I will spend the money.

Full article http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/-ozil-knew-i-wanted-him-for-a-long-time-

Ollie the Optimist
16-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Arsenes back :bow:

Fist of Lehmann
17-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Arsene always has said he didn't spend because there was no money.

Gazidis has always said there was money if the manager needed it.

Ah bollocks to it, at least there's money now, of that there can be no denial or misdirection.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-10-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing Wenget meant spending £42 million on a single player without needing to have sold that same amount. We spent more last summer after all but little bit sold RVP and Song.

GP
17-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Song :lol:

I forgot about him.

How he is not missed.

Syn
17-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Yeah but he is winning trophies. Or having trophies won for him. Or something that justifies that ridiculous career move.

speaking of which. Still a bit unbelievable we got Mehzut Orzle.

Power n Glory
17-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Arsene always has said he didn't spend because there was no money.

Gazidis has always said there was money if the manager needed it.

Ah bollocks to it, at least there's money now, of that there can be no denial or misdirection.

Spending £42m would bankrupt the club, eh? :lol:

Hopefully, we can close the chapter on this sorry saga, but from his words, his either being too cautious, isn't that smart or he's trying to play us for chumps.

Money was just spent badly and he looked to spread the cost across a range of players instead of focusing a good sum of it on a great player. We could have done this sort of move years ago,

Fist of Lehmann
17-10-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm guessing Wenget meant spending £42 million on a single player without needing to have sold that same amount. We spent more last summer after all but little bit sold RVP and Song.

Absolutely that's what he meant. Net spend.

I reckon it must have cost us some (relatively small) amount of cash paying off deadwoods as well, which I feel is significant in how it differs from previous deadwood policies.

It was more the fact that they chose to contradict each other constantly. If you wanted to push the "we have money/we have no money" angle the least you could do is try and stay on message.

Maybe there was a strategy behind it, but buggered if I know what it was.

Bumble
20-10-2013, 07:11 AM
I am sure it has been said before but Real Madrid are stupid. 42.5m absolute bargain. Hahahahaha

Özim
20-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I knew he was a great player so wasn't worried about the money we spent on him, what's been great is that his presence has raised the game of a number of players in the team.

Big money signings :bow:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think Real are stupid, I just think it's been such a long time since we had a player of Ozil's quality come in that we have completely forgotten what it feels like. Real have a handful of players of that quality.

Real do have Isco, Ronaldo and Bale, all 3 of which are providers and goal scorers and we paid them a lot of money for Ozil. The most they have ever been given in fact.

GP
20-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, they sold us their 2nd best player to buy a space chimp for twice as much.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

Penguin
20-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Admittedly I haven't seen that much of Isco, but from what I have seen he looks like a great replacement for Ozil. He has bags of talent. Spain must have a factory somewhere making all these brilliant little CAMs. Obviously he's not at Ozils level yet but he's not that much of a step down either.

GP
20-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Real Madrid fans don't agree. They have no fuse for their dynamite.

AFC Leveller
20-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Isco is a classy player and will oust one of the barcelona men sooner or later for Spain. However; Ozil is a better player all day long and real know that. as libk says though; they were under pressure to regain some of that 100m they sepent on monkey boy and we offered them something they couldnt turn down.

Munchies
20-10-2013, 08:52 PM
That header he scored was the first header he's scored in his professional football career :wacko:

Mesuts....

JonasTC
20-10-2013, 10:42 PM
That header he scored was the first header he's scored in his professional football career :wacko:

Mesuts....

Cazorla did the same thing in his first season with us... Must be a sign! Cazözil :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
20-10-2013, 10:46 PM
You sold Bale, WE SIGNED MESUT OZIL

MESUT OZIL

MESUT OZIL

GP
20-10-2013, 11:00 PM
How does it feel to be Tottenham?

How does it feel to be small?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Norwich :haha:

Got Ozil'd.

BOBN
22-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Wayne Rooney told him that he should have signed Mesut Ozil after the 2010 World Cup.

The United striker informed the Scot of his viewpoint shortly after he had handed in a transfer request, having questioned the club's ambition in the process.

However, Ferguson has revealed that he told Rooney that it was "none of his business" who the club signed.

"My response was to ask Wayne: 'when have we not challenged for the League in the last 20 years?' How many European finals have we been to in the last three or four years?," he wrote in his autobiography. "I told him that to say we weren't ambitious was nonsense.

"Wayne said that we should have pursued Mesut Ozil, who had joined Real Madrid from Werder Bremen. My reply was that it was none of his business who we should have gone for. I told him it was his job to play and perform. My job was to pick the correct teams. And so far I had been getting it right."

I just hope Wenger told RVP the same thing. Minus the challenging for titles part and stuff.

Özil's Panoramic View
22-10-2013, 05:15 PM

I just hope Wenger told RVP the same thing. Minus the challenging for titles part and stuff.

I hope Wazza is aware that playing with Ozil is still pretty much a possibility.

Time he came home.

Syn
22-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I hope Wazza is aware that playing with Ozil is still pretty much a possibility.

Time he came home.

It'll could be a possibility in summer 2015 if he hasn't already signed another contract (which he is already planning). But it's definitely not a possibility in the next 3 transfer windows.

BOBN
31-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Mesut Mozil may have just angered Asrene Wenger by declaring that Jose Mourinho is the best coach in the world.

Following Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat on Tuesday night in the Capital One Cup the German midfielder was seen giving his Arsenal shirt to Jose Mourinho after the game. Normally you see players exchanging shirts with one another but never do you see a player giving the opposition manager his shirt.

Speaking after the game, Ozil said, ‘I gave my jersey to Mourinho because he’s the best coach in the world and I love him like a father.’
http://www.thegooner.com/2013/10/30/has-ozil-angered-wenger-he-reveals-why-he-gave-his-shirt-to-mourinho/

:wacko::angry::thumbsdown::sick::censored::fury::t hreaten::o:yikes::ilt:

Btw whats a Mozil? Hope thats stinging wordplay and not a schoolboy typo.

Power n Glory
31-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Nah, it's ok. He's not a shit player so it's allowed.

Marc Overmars
31-10-2013, 11:58 AM
He developed into one of the best in the world at Madrid under Mourinho, of course he's going to have some affection for him.

Özim
31-10-2013, 01:21 PM
So he thinks Mourinho is the best coach big deal, he is he's proved it over his career.

JonasTC
31-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Is there actually a proper source of him saying it, other than 101greatgoals "claiming" he said it?

Özim
31-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I think "Hugs-R-Us" might also have printed the story, but don't quote me.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Admittedly I haven't seen that much of Isco, but from what I have seen he looks like a great replacement for Ozil. He has bags of talent. Spain must have a factory somewhere making all these brilliant little CAMs. Obviously he's not at Ozils level yet but he's not that much of a step down either.

Isco is a fantastic player and it's only a matter of time before most people realise just how good he is.

We laugh at Real for selling Ozil, but we did sell RvP and Cesc and I'm sure they thought we were even more stupid for it. I am most definitely in a minority here too, but I would probably prefer Bale to Ozil. Bale had become a beast in this league.

Ozil may prove to be too but I feel like some have quite quickly forgotten how good the Ape king was in the last couple seasons here.

Syn
31-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I agree, Bale over Ozil is an obvious choice in this league. Only the hipsters think otherwise. But obviously Ozil is a phenomenal player as well and we're lucky to have him. Isco has it all to prove though. Talent alone doesn't get you far.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 04:25 PM
We are lucky to have Ozil because he's a fantastic player, even if he does represent the sort of signing that was long over due here.

Isco has already started to prove his talent, has had a marvellous start to his Real career and will continue to get better. If he does a U turn and turns out to be some Reyes type dud, I will be happy to be taken to task on it.

GP
31-10-2013, 04:35 PM
We are lucky to have Ozil because he's a fantastic player, even if he does represent the sort of signing that was long over due here.

Isco has already started to prove his talent, has had a marvellous start to his Real career and will continue to get better. If he does a U turn and turns out to be some Reyes type dud, I will be happy to be taken to task on it.

Who has said he isn't a great talent?

I think you're arguing with yourself.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 04:38 PM
The suggestion was that Real are stupid/crazy for letting Ozil go. I am suggesting that Isco, Bale and Ronaldo are such that their decision was not ludicrous. Unless nobody was actually suggesting that Ozil to us was silly at all....

GP
31-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Selling players solely to buy inferior ones could indeed be seen as silly.

Isco was bought long before Ozil was sold anyway.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Like I have already suggested. I don't believe Bale is particularly inferior to Ozil. There are things that Ozil clearly does better than most if not anyone else in the world but I don't believe that the whole package Bale offers as a player is inferior. If you believe Bale is significantly inferior, then fine, that's your view.

And it was because of a few players they bought that Real were willing to sell Ozil. Had they not signed IIaremendi(sp) Isco and Bale they probably would not have let Ozil leave.

GP
31-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I thought it was only Spurs fans in their infinite delusion that regarded Bale so highly.

There's always one, I suppose.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Clearly you didn't get the part where Bale went to Real, hey. Who paid in excess of 80 million quid for him.

GP
31-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Clearly you didn't get the part where Bale went to Real, hey. Who paid in excess of 80 million quid for him.

That's right. Selling a player to buy an inferior one for twice as much.

Silly.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 04:54 PM
That's right. Selling a player to buy an inferior one for twice as much.

Silly.

It is one thing to hold the view you do, but to be as ignorant as you are seeming to be about the existence of another view contrary to your own, namely from Real Madrid.....

And here you are calling me delusional....

GP
31-10-2013, 05:02 PM
It is one thing to hold the view you do, but to be as ignorant as you are seeming to be about the existence of another view contrary to your own, namely from Real Madrid.....

No, I called spurs fans delusional.

You're perfectly entitled to believe Bale is twice the player Ozil is. That's your prerogative.

Holocaust deniers are entitled to their opinion as well. I'll think they are silly as well.

fakeyank
31-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I think Isco, Iniesta or even David Silva will be found inadequate if you have shit players like Bendtner playing up front.

Dein-machine
31-10-2013, 05:06 PM

GayPete - Ignorant, surely not :bow:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I thought it was only Spurs fans in their infinite delusion that regarded Bale so highly.

There's always one, I suppose.

Hmmm....lol.

No, I called spurs fans delusional.

You're perfectly entitled to believe Bale is twice the player Ozil is. That's your prerogative.

Holocaust deniers are entitled to their opinion as well. I'll think they are silly as well.

Where did I say Bale is twice the player.... but I understand that it is necessary to alter the facts to strengthen whatever argument you believe you have here....

Your holocaust comparison is comical. Comparing my opinion of Bale being a better player than Ozil to Holocaust deniers makes you look rather silly.

GP
31-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Apology accepted.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-10-2013, 05:17 PM
You are a magnanimous King GayPete.

GP
31-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I like to think so.

Zerlathon
31-10-2013, 05:36 PM
You are a magnanimous King GayPete.

I wonder how many people will google that word to see what it means...

Dein-machine
31-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I wonder how many people will google that word to see what it means...

Not GayPete becuase he's so magnanimous

Özil's Panoramic View
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Argument was won by GP the moment the other poster tried to put the chimp on par with, or even suggested he's better than Ozil.

GP
01-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Munchies
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Picture perfect! Arsenal star Ozil trades his football boots for the camera lense as he snaps stunning girlfriend Mandy Capristo

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/01/article-0-1920961D00000578-911_634x431.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/01/article-0-1920969A00000578-76_306x423.jpg

Nice car :tiphat:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Argument was won by GP the moment the other poster tried to put the chimp on par with, or even suggested he's better than Ozil.
And if time should show 'the other poster' correct, you can be behind GP in the line in offering up the idea that you might have been wrong.

Although it does at times baffle me on goonersweb why when confronted with a view different to their own, people don't just actually put forward a case against or say why they disagree rather than engage in all the other stuff. You wouldn't think that that was heresy on a discussion board.

Marc Overmars
01-11-2013, 04:57 PM
And if time should show 'the other poster' correct, you can be behind GP in the line in offering up the idea that you might have been wrong.

Although it does at times baffle me on goonersweb why when confronted with a view different to their own, people don't just actually put forward a case against or say why they disagree rather than engage in all the other stuff. You wouldn't think that that was heresy on a discussion board.

Welcome to GW my friend.

Master Splinter
01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Welcome to GW my friend.

Exactly right.

Syn
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Yeah, it's a shit forum. Free speech for idiots is always a bad idea. The good posters were driven away a long time ago, all that remains are us attention-seeking nobs.

Power n Glory
01-11-2013, 08:25 PM

I'm too lazy to find another forum but probably should.

GP
01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Definitely.

Özim
01-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Bunch of tw*ts.

Exactly right.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-11-2013, 01:43 AM

LDG
06-11-2013, 11:18 PM
The boy has some awesome control.

He seems a little in and out at times.

Would love a "worldie" performance from him on Sunday, all over RVC.

Marc Overmars
06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't even think he's got out of 3rd gear but he's clearly had a profound impact on the team.

Dein-machine
07-11-2013, 12:17 AM
just wait till he's got his mate Polds & Theo to feed - he'll be awesome

AFC Leveller
07-11-2013, 07:52 AM
He might not be creating chance after chance but i think he is influencing games and dictating play brilliantly. As we know, the runners in our team are out injured and thats one of the reasons he's not been assisting as much.

Penguin
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
The problem for Ozil is that we have nobody making runs in behind. Literally nobody. The one game that we saw the best of Ozil's threaded passes was the one he played with Theo. That's just wasting his best ability as a player.

Giroud doesn't play that way as he doesn't have pace, but I'd like to see him vary it a little and try to get in behind rather than coming short all the time. Same with Cazorla.

WMUG
07-11-2013, 10:10 AM
The problem for Ozil is that we have nobody making runs in behind. Literally nobody. The one game that we saw the best of Ozil's threaded passes was the one he played with Theo. That's just wasting his best ability as a player.

Giroud doesn't play that way as he doesn't have pace, but I'd like to see him vary it a little and try to get in behind rather than coming short all the time. Same with Cazorla.

January innit

Letters
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
January innit
Wouldn't hold your breath about a big signing in January.

milla
07-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Wouldn't hold your breath about a big signing in January.

Doesn't have to be big signing but someone like Pato, Balotelli or El Shawaray would be good enough for us. With Bendtner on his way out, we should sign 2 two strikers between Jan - Aug 2014. :coffee:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Balotelli? No chance. He's only just tuned the harmony of the team the way he wants it. He won't upset that by bringing in someone like Balotelli.

AFC Leveller
07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
This team really needs a Suarez type to complete the jigsaw. We have crafters and grafters but we dont have that explosive player to call upon in the final third.

Balotelli minus the personality would be fantastic.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Giroud doesn't have the pace to get away from the last defender. Yesterday he tried to knock it past their defence but he didn't have the acceleration to successfully run onto the ball. That's where a Suarez would really help.