PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs. Sunderland

Pages : [1] 2

GP
14-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Great win.

Mesut Ozil is awesome. Money well spent.

Aaron Ramsey is a man reborn. Absolutely magnificent.

Olivier Giroud has had a storming start to the season.

Theo Walcott...

Pretty comfortable really, could have been all over in the 1st half, but the ref handed them a lifeline with a phantom pelanty.

Lets go Gunners!

Top of the League!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Ozil superb :coffee:

Giroud can't stop scoring :coffee:

Top of the league :coffee:

It's our year

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Good stuff.

It's on!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Ramsey has had a brain transplant this season.

Özil's Panoramic View
Ozil. :cloud9:

Ramsey. :bow:

Giroud. :bow:

Arsenal :bow:

Bar the 1st 20 minutes, Wilshere has started to look up a bit now and making a few passes.

Flamster being our cunt....bloody alwsome.

Theo was Sunderlands best defender on the day.

Cripps_orig
Ozil :bow:

Kos :doh:

Thank fuck for Atkinson and Ramsey

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Kos :doh:

Thank fuck for Atkinson and Ramsey

you missed this one:

Theo. :doh:

milla
14-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Great FH, shit SH. Won it nevertheless. Feo, what the feck is he doing on the pitch? :coffee:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Flamini was an animal today. That's what happens when you play a proper DM.

Cripps_orig
14-09-2013, 03:59 PM
you missed this one:

Theo. :doh:

Why?

I mentioned the players who played a significant part in the goals and thus the game.

Theo missed chances as did other players no doubt. I'm not criticising any of them

Munchies
14-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Flamini was an animal today. That's what happens when you play a proper DM.

Yeah, he does the job

Özim
14-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Great win, was tough in the end Sunderland really gave it a go.

Ramsey :bow:

cheesy bites
14-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Ozil and Ramsey. Oh yes.

lol theo

Penguin
14-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Did Giroud go off injured or was he just taken off as a precaution?

JonasTC
14-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Theo :banghead: for ruining Özil starting out with 3-4 assists in his first game.

:Özil: oh i mean :cloud9:

Ramsey :bow:

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Top of the league with the scum right there in our shadow again. :haha:

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Outstanding first half performance, with Ozil displaying his magic. Should have been 0-5.

Difficult second half, but came through with two instances of absolute top, top, top, top quality finished by Ramsey.

Giroud brilliant. Ramsey dominant. Flamini looks like he never left. Wilshere much improved. Ozil slick. Jenkinson impressive again.

Theo far too wasteful. Koscielny too rash. Szczesny with a slight brainfart at the end.

Arsenal :bow:.

Ramsey :bow:.

Giroud :bow:.

Ozil :bow:.

Flamini :bow:.

Arsenal :bow:.

Let's go Gunners.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I am going to carry on being abusive to Ramsey especially if as a result he ends up scoring another belter like he did today, didn't play particularly well in the first half (more the fact that he was over shadowed by Wilshere and Ozil first half and was largely anonymous) but i am glad he wants to prove me wrong (even though he has no idea who i am and i suspect never will) as i want all Arsenal players to do well when they are wearing the shirt.
Still yet to be convinced of his star quality, but he's had a good season.......

Ollie the Optimist
14-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Great win. Fought back superbly after the referee gave a penalty for a blatant dive.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 04:14 PM
This will surely be shown its entirety on SS1 at 20:00.

Sarah Jane-Mee confirms my supposition. :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
14-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Watch the media now paint us as lucky because of the disallowed goal (which tbf ref fucked up big time) despite fact we are better team and they were only level because they dived

RomfordPele
14-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Happy that we won, but this was a classic example of a game we were controlling somehow suddenly getting away from us.

I thought we were extremely vulnerable on counter attack again today (as against villa: another very average side).
Wenger needs to sort this as we could very easily have thrown points away - Sunderland had 4 or 5 decent openings in the second half, not to mention the ref's intervention at 2-1.

So yeah, bloody happy we're top of the league, but plenty to improve on if we want to stay there. (Giving theo a massive boot up the arse wouldn't be a bad start.)

The Emirates Gallactico
14-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Weren't completely at the races but still had enough quality to see of Sunderland. The signs are very promising though.

Honestly should have been lights out at the first half, complete domination and Theo guilty of missing some great chances. He's usually very composed in his finishing so we can let him of for a game. Still though, with Ozil feeding him he should be on to get 20 goals this season.

Kos needs to shape up, there was no need to dive in like that at all. Johnson was angling away from goal and Gibbs was also covering, it would have taken a wonder strike to beat him at that angle. It's the second time he's done that this season.

Lucked out with the ref decision but we were well worth the win overall. Made up for the bad performance we received against Villa. With Carzola, Merts, Podolski and Ox coming in we should have a squad capable of challenging at least.

Ozil .... what can I say. :bow::bow: Makes the game look so easy which is the sign of any top class player. He's going to be massive for us.

Hopefully Giroud isn't serious. Bring on Marseille.

Penguin
14-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Watch the media now paint us as lucky because of the disallowed goal (which tbf ref fucked up big time) despite fact we are better team and they were only level because they dived

We were lucky though. We should have killed the game off in the first half and got very, very lucky in with the disallowed goal. As for the penalty, Kos was asking for it but diving in nowhere near the ball like that. Sloppy defending all round by us, as usual. We've seen it so many times where we dominate and concede a silly goal on the counter. We can't afford to keep switching off like that...

We got the 3points but me made it much harder work than we needed to.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't think it's fair to say we got lucky for that disallowed goal as such - lucky that Sagna wasn't sent off I would concede but the rest of it was just like Giuly's 'goal' in the CL final against us ie, that part of it was refereed correctly.

Penguin
14-09-2013, 04:30 PM
But surely the ref has to play advantage in a situation like that?

Transplanted Gooner
14-09-2013, 04:32 PM
He probably should. He didn't. They whistled for the foul. That's the end of it.

Munchies
14-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Cazorla out for a month until mid-October -Wenger

Ffs :banghead:

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 04:33 PM

I'm not sure it happens too often that the whistle has blown but then ignores it and carries on - the whistle being blown is in theory a signal that the play is dead.

Transplanted Gooner
14-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Great quote from Di Canio on the beeb.

Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio on being sent off:
"He came to me and said if you keep going with your manner I sent you up to the stand. I said to him 'if you want to complete a perfect job, you send me off.' And that is what he did. I will never invite the referee to send me off again."

:doh:

Munchies
14-09-2013, 04:37 PM
3:1 - i am so proud, to be member of this team.
3:1 - ich bin stolz, in dieser Mannschaft zu spielen.

Özil on twitter :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
14-09-2013, 04:38 PM
FFS about Carzola.

Injury crisis officially.

Syn
14-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Don't think it was an outstanding performance but in terms of our link up play, it was one of our best for some time - especially the first half. Away game, just after an international break, lots of key players out injured...we have dropped points like this in the past but just glad to the three points.

Defence caused their own problems. Jenkinson was poor, and a ridiculous penalty to give away by Kos. Could've really been costly if Ramsey didn't step up and won us the game.

Thought the midfield was awesome. We could've buried the game in the first half but Theo didn't finish well. Ozil and Wilshere linked up very well - and Ozil seems like the type of player that raises everyone else's game by giving more time/space. He plays the sensible option almost every time.

Giroud was godly and is looking the part in these first 4 games. Really using the ball well at the moment. Great intelligence.

Syn
14-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Cazorla out for a month until mid-October -Wenger

Ffs :banghead:

Where did you see that?

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Podolski, Ox, Cazorla, Arteta, Vermaelen, Diaby (and Zelalem) all out for long periods at the beginning of the season.

It's ridiculous.

If we'd bought a striker and a defender, Giroud and Sagna would have been ruled out for two years instantly.

When Cazorla come back, Ramsey and Ozil will break their faces.

Munchies
14-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Where did you see that?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/09/14/4261684/arsenal-star-cazorla-out-until-october-with-ankle-injury?ICID=HP_BN_1

I know its Goal, but its from Wenger's post match conf

Munchies
14-09-2013, 04:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUIywH9CQAAGbeg.png

BFG :bow: Get well soon

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Dissapointing about Cazorla but it keeps him out of the next international break I guess. :lol:

BFG, get on that Lemsip!

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 04:45 PM
again, the ref had long blown his whistle....only reason Altidore tussled on was because of the deafening noise coming from the stands causing him not to hear said whistle.

the ref got it right.

Syn
14-09-2013, 04:46 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/09/14/4261684/arsenal-star-cazorla-out-until-october-with-ankle-injury?ICID=HP_BN_1

I know its Goal, but its from Wenger's post match conf

Fuck this shit.

Marc Overmars
14-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Excellent result. Made it tough for ourselves at times in the 2nd half but a deserved win none the less.

Hopefully Theo sorts his life out soon.

Also hope these Cazorla rumours aren't true FFS. Sounds like Bif may have picked up a knock as well.

RomfordPele
14-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Injury crisis officially.

Yeah, starting to look worrying, especially if giroud is out for any length of time.

(Isn't it a shame we don't have this big window over the summer where managers with plenty of money and busy fixture lists could, like, BUY players so they'd have a big enough squad to cope...)

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Whoever we bought would just get injured anyway. Last season was our least injury-ravaged. But even then, Diaby, Wilshere, Gibbs, Sagna, Jenkinson, Koscielny and even the keepers had long periods out.

Number one problem at the club.

Lashings of horse placenta has to be our priority in January.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, starting to look worrying, especially if giroud is out for any length of time.

(Isn't it a shame we don't have this big window over the summer where managers with plenty of money and busy fixture lists could, like, BUY players so they'd have a big enough squad to cope...)

Whilst we could have done with one or two quality additions (positions are obvious) the squad isn't that weak. We've just been very unlucky so far with injuries, which is opposite to last year where we on the whole were quite lucky with injuries.

I mean we currently have: Podolski, Merts, Ox, Rosicky, Carzola, Vermelean out since the start of this season. That's 6 quality first team players who would almost walk into the squads of all the top teams. That'd be a blow to anyone.

Letters
14-09-2013, 06:00 PM
So... two Ramsey goals. Deas that mean a famous duo will die?

Jedward :pray:

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Harry and Jamie :pray: ?

RomfordPele
14-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Whilst we could have done with one or two quality additions (positions are obvious) the squad isn't that weak. We've just been very unlucky so far with injuries, which is opposite to last year where we on the whole were quite lucky with injuries.

I mean we currently have: Podolski, Merts, Ox, Rosicky, Carzola, Vermelean out since the start of this season. That's 6 quality first team players who would almost walk into the squads of all the top teams. That'd be a blow to anyone.

Sure, its a big list, and I agree the squad isn't weak - but it is badly unbalanced. We've basically gone into this season two strikers and a defender short, and will pay the price if giroud is out medium to long term.

When you've got Ł150m sitting in the bank, it's a risk you don't have to take.

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Harry and Jamie :pray: ?

Now, that's messed up. :haha:

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Now, that's messed up. :haha:

It was a question.

Nothing wrong with the Redknapps. Triffic blokes.

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Sure, its a big list, and I agree the squad isn't weak - but it is badly unbalanced. We've basically gone into this season two strikers and a defender short, and will pay the price if giroud is out medium to long term.

When you've got Ł150m sitting in the bank, it's a risk you don't have to take.

Seems signing Ozil, on the last day, has hidden the fact that we had a horrific Summer transfer window.

Syn
14-09-2013, 07:15 PM
@_OlivierGiroud_: My knee is ok don't worry! Thanks for your support! 😉

Attention seeking cunt.

Munchies
14-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Big Sexy :bow:

Thank fuck for that

Master Splinter
14-09-2013, 07:18 PM
#good game #great support #knees ok #face is too #anguished expression

Letters
14-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Seems signing Ozil, on the last day, has hidden the fact that we had a horrific Summer transfer window.
It was part of the transfer window.
Before that signing I'd have agreed with horrific but it was a brilliant signing so obviously does and should change how we view the window.

GP
14-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Loves a hashtag does Oli.

Syn
14-09-2013, 07:30 PM

:haha:

Munchies
14-09-2013, 07:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUJZuTSCQAEMy8p.jpg

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Daily Heil have us in another crisis. :lol:

Letters
14-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Daily Heil have us in another crisis. :lol:

Too many immigrants?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-09-2013, 07:40 PM
That's true, with our GHEL brigade, you'd think they would be full of positivity for us every week.

Syn
14-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Those fucking Welshmen. Coming here, killing our dictators.

milla
14-09-2013, 07:57 PM

:lol:

BOBN
14-09-2013, 08:30 PM
According to JonasTC, since Ramsey is a "number 8" hes not entitled to go and get goals :coffee:

Compare and contrast. Its Ramsey, Ozil + 1 for the midfield now.

GP
14-09-2013, 08:32 PM
According to JonasTC, since Ramsey is a "number 8" hes not entitled to go and get goals

Shut up you fanny, he didn't say that and you know it.

Özim
14-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Just shown on MOTD how Flamini doesn't really protect the defence and sweep up very well, there was a big gap between defence and midfield (the area he should be covering) which gave Sunderland a lot of space to play in in the 2nd half. Sure he runs around and tackles and puts himself about, but in defensive midfielder terms he's not great, the other players aren't going to do the job as they're attacking players.

Cripps_orig
14-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah not the best of games from the Flamster.

Quality player 4 years ago in his first spell but time to get a proper DM.

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 09:56 PM
At least we can't say he's a pointless player, though.

Kryptonite
14-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Lucky win really. Koscielny was awful. Is he the most overrated defender in the world? We are only 4 games in and he has given away 2 penalties. We are badly missing merts! And wilshere was awful as usual. At least ozil looks class tho.

GP
14-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Lucky win really. Koscielny was awful. Is he the most overrated defender in the world? We are only 4 games in and he has given away 2 penalties. We are badly missing merts! And wilshere was awful as usual. At least ozil looks class tho.

fakeyank
14-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Where is the dude who wanted Ramsey dead? :lol:

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Starting with the negatives first.

Most remarkable aspect of this match or any match played anywhere ever or all the matches played in the future for all time is Youngy. What a diving cunt he is and when is he going to have a Pires done on him? Or an Eduardo. Pure scandal, what a fucking cheat.

Also, bad news about Cazorla. Tiresomely predictable, Ozil in Santi out.

With Ozil on the pitch and Jack linking well with him a couple of players stood out as being technically deficient to live in this team. One is Jenks. He's a great trier, he's always making himself available for the ball, he did put in one great cross that led to a goal but he hasn't got the technical tools to play the way Wenger is setting the team up and it hurt our momentum today and will hurt us in the future. I think the guy has great attitude but he's a backup and we need some better options at RB.

Then there's Theo Walcott. Holy fucking shit, how is it possible for this guy to actually get worse? We had that game won within the first 20 minutes but Walcott spent the whole first half as Sunderland's best player and the only player that by hook or by crook kept them in the game. Walnut brought the home crowd back into play, he gave the opposition hope, he did everything possible to deprive us of a result today. The guy has no technique - zero. After all this time he can't kick a fucking ball. When is this myth of Theo Walcott finally going to be called out? Surely you can't survive in this league purely on the basis of being a "nice lad with a good head on his shoulders"(TM) For every positive there are 20 negatives with this misfit, he has to go in the Summer and be replaced by somebody who can work properly with Ozil. What an even more spectacular debut Ozil would have had today if it were not for Walcott.

Yep, Ozil is the real deal. In the first 15 minutes it was like we had the old Arsenal back. Real quality in key areas on the pitch, swift movement of the ball and intelligent usage. The minimum effort and maximum result that characterised Bergkamp's play. The control, pass and finish for the first goal had me out of my chair, first time that's happened since... can't recall.

And credit where it's due, Giroud was a monster in the first half today. Constantly available, good first touch, strong in the challenges and that's two cracking finishes in two games. He kept running in the second half but when Ozil started to get fatigued the middle broke down a bit and Giroud was increasingly isolated. But he kept running and kept challenging and I like that.

Ramsey, for the first time ever one of our existing players really is like a new signing. Super goals, WTF? Is this the same player? Maybe there's hope for Walcott and Bendtner yet. Or are three miracles too much?

Jack did well for the most part, a few blind alleys but Ozil always seemed to deliver to him in time and space and that helped a lot. All in all a good performance, though not enough filthy fouls from him but you can't have everything.

Defence and goalkeeper were just about okay, they did enough. I don't thing Sagna is a CB, I'm not sure how an oil tanker stuck in mud benefits us but somehow it does because Merts was missed today and as a result Kos was dashing around the place like a loon again. Hate it when that happens, especially when he gives away silly and stonewall pens (which it was this time as opposed to the last occasion)

We deserved the win because even though the ref was a bit whistle happy on one occasion (had to happen sooner or later) we upped the effort when they dragged a goal back and eased past them in the end. Sunderalnd could have bobbled a couple in I suppose but more by luck than design and they never had a grip of the game. Without Cazorla and with Wenger trying to find the best balance to fully utilise Ozil this wasn't bad and for a short time was very good indeed. Good signs if only we can keep a minimum 11 fit. Probably not by the look of it.

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Oh, one more negative I'm afraid. Flam was shite. Headless chicken routine in the middle and he was bypassed so easily for most of the match. Lots of heart but the pace of the PL has him beaten right now. He may improve, he'll need to.

Özil's Panoramic View
14-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Only surprise is that you are willing to wait till next summer to sell Theo..... Remember there's always January.

Cripps_orig
14-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Good read

Cripps_orig
14-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Only surprise is that you are willing to wait till next summer to sell Theo..... Remember there's always January.

Tbf would be a classic Wenger move to sell quality players.

Kryptonite
14-09-2013, 11:35 PM
It would be madness to sell Theo. He is arguably our best player so I guess selling him is definitely the kind of thing wenger would do!

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2013, 11:41 PM
It would be madness to sell Theo. He is arguably our best player so I guess selling him is definitely the kind of thing wenger would do!

We signed Ozil you know? Just out of interest, having watched that performance today, why is it you suggest Walcott is out best player? Or are you joking and I'm slow?

Kryptonite
14-09-2013, 11:47 PM
We signed Ozil you know? Just out of interest, having watched that performance today, why is it you suggest Walcott is out best player? Or are you joking and I'm slow?

Ozil looks class but he has it all to prove in england. theo last season scored over 20 goals and was our best player so 75 mins from a new signing can't replace that yet! we need to wait for Ozil to contribute to the team like Cesc before we get carried away. If you look at the stats ozil has one assist but so does jenkinson today so one game isn't enough. theo has done it countless times! I'm sure ozil will be world class for us tho.

Niall_Quinn
14-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Ozil looks class but he has it all to prove in england. theo last season scored over 20 goals and was our best player so 75 mins from a new signing can't replace that yet! we need to wait for Ozil to contribute to the team like Cesc before we get carried away. If you look at the stats ozil has one assist but so does jenkinson today so one game isn't enough. theo has done it countless times! I'm sure ozil will be world class for us tho.

Messi has had no assists for us, doesn't mean he has it all to do. Ozil has done it already at the very highest level, we wait on Theo. Any day now apparently. Meanwhile Ozil goes from Ronaldo to Walcott, that has to be tough. He put them on a plate today, exactly what he was brought here to do. He's got nothing to prove, it's the guy fluffing his lines who needs to prove something.

GP
15-09-2013, 12:18 AM
I think we can all agree Mesut Ozil is head and shoulders above anyone else in the Premier League.

BOBN
15-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Yeah lets replace Walcott with more slow, unproductive, "technical" players like Wilshere :doh:

Walcotts game is perfect for Ozil. That combos gonna be deadly. Walcott is just readjusting to the fact hes getting properly weighted through balls again. Probably couldnt believe his eyes.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 01:45 AM
What worries me is the six years it took Theo to almost adjust to whatever he was getting before Ozil arrived. Meanwhile Giroud seems to have adjusted and he's not even that fast. Just a lot more productive. Of course we all want to see Theo deliver on that potential, eventually, finally, at some point in the future. Any time now I'm sure.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Flamini was excellent

bullish and physical, exactly what we needed.

Shearer's analysis :haha:

in clip 2 he says Flamini should have protected the defence. He was the only one between the defence and midfield covering the open area :haha:

in clip 3 he says Flamini should have moved to the right, closer to Sagna. That would have left the left hand side completely unmarked for the Sunderland players to run into :haha:

Shocking analysis. No wonder BT sport have gained in popularity.

Power n Glory
15-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Flamini was excellent

bullish and physical, exactly what we needed.

Shearer's analysis :haha:

in clip 2 he says Flamini should have protected the defence. He was the only one between the defence and midfield covering the open area :haha:

in clip 3 he says Flamini should have moved to the right, closer to Sagna. That would have left the left hand side completely unmarked for the Sunderland players to run into :haha:

Shocking analysis. No wonder BT sport have gained in popularity.

Just got the Sky + on pause as the prick talks utter shite!

They need to get better pundits in. These guys haven't got a clue! Are they trying to get more analytical because of the criticism and comparisons to Sky's pundits? It's embarrassing!

Power n Glory
15-09-2013, 07:18 AM
The amount of chances Theo missed...you can't defend that crap. He needs to step his game up quickly because I'm not impressed. That game should have been over from the 1st half. If he plays like that again and we have Cazorla available, he should hit the bench. If he can't put those chances away, what good is he to us?

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2013, 07:33 AM

The first one was never a penalty. And if Theo had put away at least one of his gilt edged chances, you'd not be talking about a lucky win.

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2013, 07:38 AM
I think we can all agree Mesut Ozil is head and shoulders above anyone else in the Premier League.

I think you're forgetting about Rambo.

LDG
15-09-2013, 08:27 AM

It's almost like you're Krypps, but with a very cleverly disguised name.

LDG
15-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Very good win with half our squad injured.

Couldn't watch, but thanks to N_Q for his analysis.

The Orcs from Stoke next in the league. Poor Ozil. He's gonna wonder what the fuck he's doing in England.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Yeah lets replace Walcott with more slow, unproductive, "technical" players like Wilshere :doh:

Walcotts game is perfect for Ozil. That combos gonna be deadly. Walcott is just readjusting to the fact hes getting properly weighted through balls again. Probably couldnt believe his eyes.

Pretty much

BOBN
15-09-2013, 08:55 AM
The amount of chances Theo missed...you can't defend that crap. He needs to step his game up quickly because I'm not impressed. That game should have been over from the 1st half. If he plays like that again and we have Cazorla available, he should hit the bench. If he can't put those chances away, what good is he to us?
Walcott was shit. But its obvious a runner is needed to fully utilize Ozil, and it "worked". Many chances arose. You dont then go replace him with a tippy-tappy player just because he looks nicer on the ball.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Feo will be fine, his finishing is generally very good and with the service he has it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open. He's just going through a lean spell at the moment and probably needs to pub one in to restore confidence, I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting himself into position to score.

Power n Glory
15-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Walcott was shit. But its obvious a runner is needed to fully utilize Ozil, and it "worked". Many chances arose. You dont then go replace him with a tippy-tappy player just because he looks nicer on the ball.

He needs to step his game up. No real point in getting too 'theoretical' in what he brings to the team. The chances he missed could have been a costly three points. We'll have players in the bench iching for a chance to play. More of that and he's on thin ice.

A Gunner
15-09-2013, 09:08 AM
His strike rate is 22%, I've read somewhere. So he should score 1 in 5. So maybe next game.

Penguin
15-09-2013, 09:22 AM

We don't have to replace him with a 'tippy-tappy player', Theo isn't the only runner in football.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 09:26 AM
We don't have to replace him with a 'tippy-tappy player', Theo isn't the only runner in football.

Is there another runner as good as theo?

20 goals a season player plus assists

Nah didn't think so.

Needs a goal this season to get started but fortunately after more or less single handedly getting us top 4 last season, the others have stepped up especially Giroud and Ramsey. If they continue and when not if Theo hits form and it won't be long judging from yesterday, the title is coming home

AFC Leveller
15-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I think Theo will start scoring soon, he still gets in good positions and could have had three yesterday.

Sagna was a rock, proper defender. he's 30 now and for a CB, thats prime time so the club should tie him down to a new deal before its too late.

Globalgunner
15-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I think Theo will start scoring soon, he still gets in good positions and could have had three yesterday.

Sagna was a rock, proper defender. he's 30 now and for a CB, thats prime time so the club should tie him down to a new deal before its too late.

He was good but not a rock. He is small for a CB, which is why he was bullied out by Dozy Altidore that almost led to a goal. In fact it was a goal but we got lucky with the ref blowing for a foul. We need a CB in January. Sagna should be a last resort, but by all means give him a new contract . He is a soldier. We should tempt Everton with a 10m bid for Seamus Coleman,. I like him even though he bears an uncanny resemblance to monkey boy.

AFC Leveller
15-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Being Small isnt an issue for sagna because he wins (and won yesterday) most headers. He has a good leap and is a no nonsense defender.

Coleman looks like he's on crack but yeah a really good right back, i think he was a wideman before.

Bumble
15-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I think Ozil will suit Walcott style of player and he will end up as our top scorer. Lets not forget you have to get into positions to be able to miss the chances. A win is a win although a little lucky in the 2nd half.

Master Splinter
15-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Sagan is probably our strongest player.

Altidore is just a brute tbf.

GP
15-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Those saying it should have been a goal are just wrong. The ref blew his whistle well before he got into the box. Whatever happens after that is irrelevant.

Özim
15-09-2013, 11:17 AM
In that case Sagna should have got a red because it was a goalscoring chance as the goal proved. Either way he got it wrong, should have allowed play to go on realistically, that's what a good ref would have done.

Worked in our favour so all good, but had it been the other way round we'd be incensed.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2013, 11:24 AM
There was definitely an advantage to be played but oh well.

Syn
15-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Made Sagna look like a right chump.

Master Splinter
15-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Those saying it should have been a goal are just wrong. The ref blew his whistle well before he got into the box. Whatever happens after that is irrelevant.

Hard to disagree.

Plus our defenders heard the whistle and clearly stopped.

United's win was far more controversial.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Heard Mertesacker was ill.

Hope he's ok for Marseille.

GP
15-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Hard to disagree.

Well, exactly. It's easy to score when you're the only one playing.

Unless you're Walcott haha lol

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 11:34 AM
In that case Sagna should have got a red because it was a goalscoring chance as the goal proved. Either way he got it wrong, should have allowed play to go on realistically, that's what a good ref would have done.

Worked in our favour so all good, but had it been the other way round we'd be incensed.

I agree with that, we got lucky. But also they dived for their penalty so they can shove their complaints up their arse

Master Splinter
15-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Well, exactly. It's easy to score when you're the only one playing.

It's the only way Heskey's son was ever going to score.

Or not haha lol

Özim
15-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I agree with that, we got lucky. But also they dived for their penalty so they can shove their complaints up their arse

MOTD reckon Koscielny was reckless, would need to look at it again to be honest, Koscielny didn't get the ball that much we know.

Özim
15-09-2013, 11:45 AM
There was definitely an advantage to be played but oh well.

Worked out in our favour so all good, but you can see why Sunderland might be annoyed that's all.

Power n Glory
15-09-2013, 11:45 AM

We have options and if we get back to a more intricate style of play, it will open up more opportunities for other players. Just look at Ramsey's 2nd goal. Wenger may toy with the idea of playing Ozil and Cazorla on opposite flanks but having the freedom to roam. If that actually works, then Theo will see a lot more bench time along with others in the squad.

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Our players didn't stop, noticed you didn't address the issue of Sagna being sent off either.

Yes Man U's 1st goal was dodgy and shouldn't have been but we're not talking about them are we?

I don't think you can say united goal was dodgy. It was just wrong. Nothing dodgy about it, the referee got it completely wrong

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 11:47 AM
MOTD reckon Koscielny was reckless, would need to look at it again to be honest, Koscielny didn't get the ball that much we know.

Kos went in a bit recklessly but still the Sunderland player dived.

Özim
15-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Hard to disagree.

It's funny coz are defendaz didn't stop and we was not torkin about Unitedz win.

LOLZ just LOLZ at Sundurland.

Özim
15-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't think you can say united goal was dodgy. It was just wrong. Nothing dodgy about it, the referee got it completely wrong

Yes it was a wrong decision as the ref couldn't have seen it, but we're not talking about Man U here.

Özim
15-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Kos went in a bit recklessly but still the Sunderland player dived.

From the replay on MOTD you couldn't really tell conclusively to be honest, so I can't comment, he may well have dived but without seeing it again I can't be sure.

Has anyone got a clip of it?

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes it was a wrong decision as the ref couldn't have seen it, but we're not talking about Man U here.

No we aren't that's true, but ill leave this final point. The linesman should have seen it was outside the box, it was a dive and the ref got it wrong. Shocker all round and no doubt it was wrong decision.

With Sunderland, there is doubt about it, it's not a 100% right or wrong decision. But also after being fucked over by villa ref, it's time we got something in our favour

Marc Overmars
15-09-2013, 12:03 PM
From the replay on MOTD you couldn't really tell conclusively to be honest, so I can't comment, he may well have dived but without seeing it again I can't be sure.

Has anyone got a clip of it?

Looked like there might have been some contact but the guy fell pretty easily. Kos should know better though, if you attempt a tackle inside the box but don't get the ball then you're fair game.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Definite contact and penalty.

Kos has learnt nothing from the villa game where he did the same thing and that was a stone Waller as well.

Time for Verm to come back in?

Master Splinter
15-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Our players didn't stop, noticed you didn't address the issue of Sagna being sent off either.

Yes Man U's 1st goal was dodgy and shouldn't have been but we're not talking about them are we?

They slowed down and then started running when Altidore had taken the shot. Why should Sagna be sent off if a) the ref had blown for a free kick well before it ever became a clear chance for Altidore or b) Sagna wouldn't have been the last man if advantage had been played because Koscielny and Gibbs would have gotten there without the whistle stopping them?

By virtue of these posts, we are now talking about Manchester United, yes.

I do wish you're this passionate and militant in your desire to educate people on the referee's apparent mistake the next time it adversely affects Arsenal.

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Looked like there might have been some contact but the guy fell pretty easily. Kos should know better though, if you attempt a tackle inside the box but don't get the ball then you're fair game.

It's true he fell easily and I couldn't really tell from MOTD whether he touched him or not, but this is typical of Koscielny diving in and giving away fouls when there's no need to, it's the weakness in his game.

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:15 PM
They slowed down and then started running when Altidore had taken the shot. Why should Sagna be sent off if a) the ref had blown for a free kick well before it ever became a clear chance for Altidore or b) Sagna wouldn't have been the last man if advantage had been played because Koscielny and Gibbs would have gotten there without the whistle stopping them?

By virtue of these posts, we are now talking about Manchester United, yes.

I do wish you're this passionate and militant in your desire to educate people on the referee's apparent mistake the next time it adversely affects Arsenal.

I didn't notice them slowing down (I really don't think they did), but it's neither he nor there. As for Sagna, well he stopped a goalscoring chance, which it was and that's a straight red, he was the last man, noone would have got to him there just wasn't enough time, even if they were quicker than Usain Bolt.

Were are now yes, but they have nothing to do with our game, should we go round every ground in the country and point out mistakes as well?

I'm not passionate, I like to think I'm fair and I can see Sunderland's point of view without being totally biased about what happened. The dive may have been a dive but I can't tell from the angles they showed, the goal they scored was much clearly as there was nothing obstructing it, in my eyes, it was either a red or a goal, personally think the ref should have played the advantage (that's what you usually do and then bring it back if it doesn't work out).

I thought there were some tackles which should have been punished from Sunderland but weren't, by the Korean guy I think. We got the win and deserved it IMO, but I'm not going to make stuff up either.

Incidentally you do realise the person you chose to agree with is as biased as they come, if he was ref we'd have 12 penalties a match, the opposition would be down to 8 men and shots over the bar would count as 2 goals.

Master Splinter
15-09-2013, 12:17 PM
It's funny coz are defendaz didn't stop and we was not torkin about Unitedz win.

LOLZ just LOLZ at Sundurland.

And this edit was definitely a wise one. These brilliant parodies of parodies just work on every level of humour. Please continue them. They are a daily highlight.

LOLz just lolZ at me for being constantly owned.

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:19 PM
And this edit was definitely a wise one. These brilliant parodies of parodies just work on every level of humour. Please continue them. They are a daily highlight.

LOLz just lolZ at me for being constantly owned.

Don't worry I enjoy putting them together, so I have no intention of stopping...it's quite amazing what fun can be had.

As for the edit, I knew you liked them, so I changed it just for you. :lol:

Özil's Panoramic View
15-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Kos has learnt nothing from the villa game where he did the same thing and that was a stone Waller as well.

Pretty much this, except for the Verm part.

We need a proper centre back in.

On another note, wtf are people going on about that we got lucky? Exactly how? We dominated those cunts for large portions of the game bar a few moments in the 2nd half when we allowed them to run a bit riot.

Game should have been well over by the halftime whistle, and even if they were allowed that equalizing goal, that doesn't mean we wouldn't have gone on to win just the same, does it?

And for the last time, the ref got the call right. He had long blown for the foul before any advantage was clear. If Altidore had heard the whistle, he'd have rightly stopped and allow for the freekick.

Good bloody win in the end, as we never have it easy up there. Hope we can have this luck follow us for remainder of season.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Referee should have done one of two things.

1 - let play continue which meant they'd have a goal and back to 2-2

Or

2 - send Sagna off once the whistle was blown leaving us with 10 men away from home and knowing our mentality, we'd have crumbled.

We got lucky. Atkinson saved us. Best referee out there.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2013, 12:45 PM
We need a proper centre back in.

Kos and Merts are proper CB's, they're amongst the best in the league. They're not without their faults though, Kos in particularly is a magnet for trouble because of his style of defending, however I'd say the good certainly outweighs the bad.

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:47 PM
On another note, wtf are people going on about that we got lucky? Exactly how? We dominated those cunts for large portions of the game bar a few moments in the 2nd half when we allowed them to run a bit riot.

Game should have been well over by the halftime whistle, and even if they were allowed that equalizing goal, that doesn't mean we wouldn't have gone on to win just the same, does it?

Yes we did, but we missed our chances. It doesn't matter if you have 95% of the possession and 50 chances if you miss them all and the opposition get 1 chance and score you still lose.

We deserved to win, but your point about how much we dominated is invalid as we didn't take those chances we created.

Syn
15-09-2013, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xCevchXRmyQ#t=72

Pyscho fan :bow:

"You better not leave us son!"

"You're better than Bale. ADMIT IT!"

Özil's Panoramic View
15-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes we did, but we missed our chances. It doesn't matter if you have 95% of the possession and 50 chances if you miss them all and the opposition get 1 chance and score you still lose.

We deserved to win, but your point about how much we dominated is invalid as we didn't take those chances we created.

How can pointing out our dominance in a game where folks are calling us lucky be invalid?

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I suppose if Walcott could finish we wouldn't be talking about the penalty or luck as we would have been 4-0 up. He's been poor this season so far. Needs to up his game

Özil's Panoramic View
15-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Kos and Merts are proper CB's, they're amongst the best in the league. They're not without their faults though, Kos in particularly is a magnet for trouble because of his style of defending, however I'd say the good certainly outweighs the bad.

Koscielny's fault is way too costly. He gives away too many silly penalties for me to be comfortable with him. He doesn't seem to learn that you cannot dive in with those rash challenges in the box. Perfect opportunity he's providing opponents with to go down easily on the slightest contact. And yes, there was contact on that challenge yesterday.

Ffs that's two pels already and the season's just begun.

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:56 PM
How can pointing out our dominance in a game where folks are calling us lucky be invalid?

The point about us being dominant and having a lot of chances is kinda invalid, we didn't take them and thus the score was still 2-1 when they got their chance. Had the ref got it right it would have been 2-2 or Sagna would have been off, in that sense we got lucky because at 2-2 or down to 10 anything could have happened.

As I said we deserved to win, but we made hard work of it in the end due to our wayward finishing and got the rub of the green in the 2nd half. I don't think people think we were lucky to win because overall we were good value for it, but I think people think we were lucky because after a great 1st half, we gave Sunderland too many chances in the 2nd half and if not for a poor decision could have found ourselves on the wrong end of a defeat or have just got a draw.

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Referee should have done one of two things.

1 - let play continue which meant they'd have a goal and back to 2-2

Or

2 - send Sagna off once the whistle was blown leaving us with 10 men away from home and knowing our mentality, we'd have crumbled .

We got lucky. Atkinson saved us. Best referee out there.

Just like we did at Sunderland last year with ten men.

Oh

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I suppose if Walcott could finish we wouldn't be talking about the penalty or luck as we would have been 4-0 up. He's been poor this season so far. Needs to up his game

If we'd taken our chances we'd have been out of sight as we were great in the 1st half, but football is about taking your chances and if you don't it's quite feasible you can end up dropping points in a game you should and deserved to win.

Kryptonite
15-09-2013, 12:59 PM
We got lucky because the ref gave us a 50:50 decision that really benefitted us and affected the result. Even wenger admits it. No point bringing theo up he has been carrying the team for a year! maybe if others could score 20 goals a season we wouldnt rely on him when he has an off day.

Özim
15-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Koscielny's fault is way too costly. He gives away too many silly penalties for me to be comfortable with him. He doesn't seem to learn that you cannot dive in with those rash challenges in the box. Perfect opportunity he's providing opponents with to go down easily on the slightest contact. And yes, there was contact on that challenge yesterday.

Ffs that's two pels already and the season's just begun.

It's a problem with his game, he can be very good but you always fear he's going to do something rash just like he did yesterday, needs to eradicate this from his game because these mistakes could be very costly for us.

Özim
15-09-2013, 01:02 PM
We got lucky because the ref gave us a 50:50 decision that really benefitted us and affected the result. Even wenger admits it. No point bringing theo up he has been carrying the team for a year! maybe if others could score 20 goals a season we wouldnt rely on him when he has an off day.

Players have off days, it happens, I think that after a great 1st half we eased off in the 2nd and that encouraged Sunderland, in the end it worked out but that decision could have been key, we'll never know know which is good because we ended up with the 3 points.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Just like we did at Sunderland last year with ten men.

Oh

That was last season

Penguin

And for the last time, the ref got the call right. He had long blown for the foul before any advantage was clear. If Altidore had heard the whistle, he'd have rightly stopped and allow for the freekick.

Watch the replay here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/sunderland-1-arsenal-3-motd/
(7:17)

The ref blows the whistle after Altidore wins the tussle over Sagna. He should have waited and played advantage so it should have been 2-2. Our players played on after the whistle - Sczesney tried to make the save and Ramsey bust a gut trying to clear the ball off the line.

Ok the ref made a mistake and blew early - but if it was a foul by Sagna he had stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity and should have been sent off. Altidore was through one on one with the goalkeeper. Two massive blunders by the referee and I'd have been livid if those decisions went against us.

We were lucky because we didn't kill the game off in the first half after 3 golden opportunities and let Sunderland back into it with poor defending. And again after scoring a fantastic goal at 2-1, we let them in again and we were lucky that the ref made a mistake in our favor.

Don't get me wrong, we were awesome in the first half but we nearly threw the points away in typical Wenger fashion.

Özil's Panoramic View
It's a problem with his game, he can be very good but you always fear he's going to do something rash just like he did yesterday, needs to eradicate this from his game because these mistakes could be very costly for us.

The trouble is, he doesn't seem to be able to. Sure he knows it's a massive flaw to his game, but when it's split 2nd decision time, he doesn't seem to bother with the thinking and just executes what he's predisposed to doing.

Özim
15-09-2013, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Arsene Wonga;327076]The point about us being dominant and having a lot of chances is kinda invalid, we didn't take them and thus the score was still 2-1 when they got their chance. Had the ref got it right it would have been 2-2 or Sagna would have been off, in that sense we got lucky because at 2-2 or down to 10 anything could have happened.[QUOTE]

How exactly the ref getting it right would have resulted in us being down to 10 men and the score at 2-2? I thought the argument was that if the ref gave a foul -as he did - he should have sent off Sagna. Or is it that he should have allowed the advantage, which wasn't there to be allowed when they were both tussling, which would have resulted in an equalizing goal and still have sent off Sagna?

I said or not and.

Özim
15-09-2013, 01:11 PM
The trouble is, he doesn't seem to be able to. Sure he knows it's a massive flaw to his game, but when it's split 2nd decision time, he doesn't seem to bother with the thinking and just executes what he's predisposed to doing.

I tend to agree with you to be honest, he's pretty good a lot of the time but I've seen him make some costly mistakes quite a few times now, he seems to want to tackle at every opportunity rather than being more selective and putting in a tackle when it makes sense.

Penguin
15-09-2013, 01:14 PM
The penalty decision is at (4:24) http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/sunderland-1-arsenal-3-motd/

Tbf it looks a little harsh on Kos in the replay but his trailing right leg may have caught Johnson. Not enough to bring him down but any sort of contact is a penalty by the letter of the law, especially since he was nowhere near the ball.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't say we are lucky to get one decision in ten form refs, which is how it has been. What about the Villa game? Yesterday was the first time in an age that I was quite comfortable watching the game, I knew we had enough to beat that lot even if they pubbed a couple of goals and despite the fact they had Walcott. Really though, about time the ref made a mistake in our favour. Doubt it will happen much this season.

Syn
15-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Pure stupidity. His strength does lie in reading the game and making quick interceptions but the penalties he has given away this season are almost due to arrogance; making a tackle that the cameras will like. Absolutely no need in the one yesterday - Gibbs was right there to block the cut back. In the box, stay on your feet unless it's absolutely necessary. That's just schoolboy stuff.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Did someone call him Raymond in that video :haha:

Özil's Panoramic View
15-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Rambo. :bow:

Folks, we have a new star on our hands.

Cringeworthy thought, isn't it?

At this rate, he's off to madrid or Bayern next season.

Globalgunner
15-09-2013, 01:35 PM
We were lucky of that there is no doubt, not because we played shit and won but because we played well and could have lost.
The main flaws to our game still remain, as in the game against villa. We score early and then start to toil, missing chances by the bucketload. We have seen it many times even in the days of Henry and the invincibles. We can never seem to put the screw on craps teams.
If we had been 4-0 up by half time the crowd would have been half gone during the break and the remaining fans would have been baying for the Italians blood.
We need to cut that flaw out of our game but with the same manager and backroom staff it will not be easy excising an endemic trait

The Emirates Gallactico
15-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Kos definitely fucked up but let's not go overboard. He was still our best defender last season and has many good qualities that outweigh this negative. Hopefully Bould has a word with him in training about it as we can't keep affording to give away sloppy penalties. Though mind you, better defending all round from the midfield to stop tricky pacey wingers having a free run at our CB's in the area would be a much better remedy. Arteta's return or signing someone like Lars Bender (:pray:) would help in that regard.

Likewise with Theo. Sure someone like a Bale or Ronaldo would have had a hat trick yesterday but Theo is still our best finisher, typically very clinical and composed so I'm not that worried yet. The first one was a good save as well. Like Moe said, once he gets one the floodgates will open. He's making the right runs and getting into the positions. Hopefully he decides to spend a few extra hours in training practising his finishing this week.

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Take a day off or get some glasses

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Take a day off or get some glasses

Or get some glasses on his day off! Efficient, like a German.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Or get some glasses on his day off! Efficient, like a German.

But what about a Red Indian?

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 02:10 PM
A day off from what?

Speaking the truth?

Is that an invitation to WUM then?

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 02:12 PM
But what about a Red Indian?

Okay, take a day off, get some glasses and get a bottle of whiskey plus blankets doused in smallpox.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Kos definitely fucked up but let's not go overboard. He was still our best defender last season and has many good qualities that outweigh this negative. Hopefully Bould has a word with him in training about it as we can't keep affording to give away sloppy penalties. Though mind you, better defending all round from the midfield to stop tricky pacey wingers having a free run at our CB's in the area would be a much better remedy. Arteta's return or signing someone like Lars Bender (:pray:) would help in that regard.

Likewise with Theo. Sure someone like a Bale or Ronaldo would have had a hat trick yesterday but Theo is still our best finisher, typically very clinical and composed so I'm not that worried yet. The first one was a good save as well. Like Moe said, once he gets one the floodgates will open. He's making the right runs and getting into the positions. Hopefully he decides to spend a few extra hours in training practising his finishing this week.

You seem to have forgotten a certain BFG tbh.

Artetas return will help no one either.

Other than that, I agree

Özil's Panoramic View
15-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Kos wasn't our best defender last season. Mertersacker was by a stretch. Kos's 10 good games ended with the end of last season.

Hope he can get it back together, though, as when on form, we tend to keep a fair amount of clean sheets.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Kos wasn't our best defender last season. Mertersacker was by a stretch. Kos's 10 good games ended with the end of last season.

Hope he can get it back together, though, as when on form, we tend to keep a fair amount of clean sheets.

Take a day off from speaking the truth

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Take a day off from speaking the truth

And get glasses!

Özil's Panoramic View
15-09-2013, 03:07 PM
OK, which of you fuckers on here is an optician?

hobson's choice
15-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Good result, but there are some things they still got to work on. Ozil and Giroud were good, Wilshere was awful, i'm still waiting to see what exactly is so special about him. Ramsey, two very good goals, but he still irritates me, with his constant turns, and twists, and taking forever on the ball. Flamini needs play with a bit more composure, and maturity.

But i'm enjoying watching this team play, it's slowly coming back. Can't wait for Santi to come back into the team.

Zerlathon
15-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Good result, but there are some things they still got to work on. Ozil and Giroud were good, Wilshere was awful, i'm still waiting to see what exactly is so special about him. Ramsey, two very good goals, but he still irritates me, with his constant turns, and twists, and taking forever on the ball. Flamini needs play with a bit more composure, and maturity.

But i'm enjoying watching this team play, it's slowly coming back. Can't wait for Santi to come back into the team.

Have to disagree with some of your comments, but I do agree with your overall opinion. I think we are going to be in a much better position come January (which shall hopefully help attract 1 or 2 more Players).

Sirjackofwilshere
15-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Have to wonder wether some people even bother to watch the matches before spewing bull

Wilshere wasn't playing to his potential but he was hardly awful..jeez

Really liking the midfield tho..Ramseys finally putting in the performances and building on his pre-injury state. Wilshere is slowly improving..lets hope he doesn't get involved too much with the England setup. Flamini was reasonably solid but did let play bypass him sometimes too easily...Arteta coming back should help remedy that. All in all a good win.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Where have you been?

BOBN
15-09-2013, 05:37 PM
We have options and if we get back to a more intricate style of play, it will open up more opportunities for other players. Just look at Ramsey's 2nd goal. Wenger may toy with the idea of playing Ozil and Cazorla on opposite flanks but having the freedom to roam. If that actually works, then Theo will see a lot more bench time along with others in the squad.
You dont spend 45 million to put a player on the periphery. The most important players in the game play down the middle, always have always will. Think of other options.

PS. Even Bergkamp needed a relative donkey like Ljungberg to look good. A runner is key.

LDG
15-09-2013, 05:48 PM
You dont spend 45 million to put a player on the periphery. The most important players in the game play down the middle, always have always will. Think of other options.

PS. Even Bergkamp needed a relative donkey like Ljungberg to look good. A runner is key.

Pires played left, Henry pulled off to the left channel.

Ronaldo plays wide.

Bale plays wide.

All down the middle. All of them.

Munchies
15-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Was Freddie that bad ? I always thought he was a good player

GP
15-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Of course he was. Bitter spuds are bitter.

hobson's choice
15-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Have to wonder wether some people even bother to watch the matches before spewing bull

Wilshere wasn't playing to his potential but he was hardly awful..jeez

Really liking the midfield tho..Ramseys finally putting in the performances and building on his pre-injury state. Wilshere is slowly improving..lets hope he doesn't get involved too much with the England setup. Flamini was reasonably solid but did let play bypass him sometimes too easily...Arteta coming back should help remedy that. All in all a good win.

Wilshere was not good, and he hasn't really done Jack(no pun intended) for a long time. Tries to do too much, when simple would just be better, hasn't shown the ability to play "that" pass, and hasn't shown he has the ability to score goals.

When Carzola gets back, it should be Flams, Ramsey, Carzola, and Ozil, with Jack on the bench.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Wilshere was fine, he had a few doh moments but otherwise moved the ball well, in the first half at least. In the second half he drifted out of the game but that's because the player who made the best debut I have seen faded a bit and the rest of the midfield suffered as a consequence. The first half of that game yesterday was exciting and showed were we might be able to go with the players in this squad if only we can keep enough of them fit. The opposition couldn't get anywhere near us and we were only in 3rd gear.

Master Splinter
15-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Wilshere was not good, and he hasn't really done Jack(no pun intended) for a long time. Tries to do too much, when simple would just be better, hasn't shown the ability to play "that" pass, and hasn't shown he has the ability to score goals.

When Carzola gets back, it should be Flams, Ramsey, Carzola, and Ozil, with Jack on the bench.

Wilshere has been poor this season so far, but apart from an early run into nowhere yesterday, he was very good. Linked well with Ozil, especially on the move that led to Theo missing that headed sitter. Yes, he should be on the bench at the moment, but he was much improved yesterday.

torontogooner
15-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Not much said about Jenkinson. His cross for Ramsey's goal was tremendous, but Jenks still makes me nervous.

Cripps_orig
15-09-2013, 06:49 PM

He was brilliant.

Loved the guy

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Can you guys (NQ and Cripps) just PM each other instead of boring the crap out of people amd posting the same garbage for the bazillionth time?

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Seriously - just shut it now.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Can you guys (NQ and Cripps) just PM each other instead of boring the crap out of people amd posting the same crap for the baillionth time?

No, come on. We are both all positive about Arsenal right now. But give us something of the old time to hang on to. Because if we can't compare the glorious future we have in front of us to what went before then we won't appreciate it. So Cripps and myself are performing a valuable public service very much in the interests of the club and all its fans and the future in general. We're thinking of the future generations who will support the club, the kids. It's a bit like a country making a sudden change for the better, you've spent years under the drudgery of a shitocracy and suddenly it is all transformed overnight. Kids might then grow up to think it has always been that way and they'll take it for granted. And they might start bad mouthing the country. And to be honest, and I think I speak for Cripps in this, neither of us are prepared to sit silent while the country is being bad mouthed.

Anyway this is different... Walcott peaked at age 16, discuss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGGeQhyjmk

Letters
15-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Anyway this is different... Walcott peaked at age 16, discuss
More a case of a YouTube complication can make anyone look good. Even Gervinho.

Walcott had a 'bad day at the office' yesterday, I generally rate his finishing. If Ozil keeps making those passes and Theo keeps getting into those positions he'll score plenty this season. There was only one really bad miss, the first one. The others he should have done better but weren't as glaring chances as the first.

GP
15-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Can you guys (NQ and Cripps) just PM each other instead of boring the crap out of people amd posting the same garbage for the bazillionth time?

Good luck with that.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Good luck with that.

No u

Ollie the Optimist
15-09-2013, 09:24 PM
It's not a bad day at the office though for Walcott. If people are going to have a go at kos for the penalties, then you can say the same for Walcott for being crap so far this season. He hasn't scored. If Walcott had a bad day, then so did kos.

I haven't been impressed by Walcott this season. He was crap against spurs, lazy and not interested. He needs a kick up the arse and soon. He's been poor. But he's on 100k a week so he doesn't care

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-09-2013, 10:16 PM

I think when a few players come back from injury we should rest Jack for a while, we don't want him running himself into the ground. Plus we actually have some depth in the middle of the park so bench time might help him get his act together because at one point he looked like being the next Iniesta but now he's playing like Denilson.

Same goes for Theo, bench him for 2 weeks and tell him to buck up his ideas, then watch him come back with some vengeance. A top manager will keep players on their toes, granted we have injuries so we can't really bench them right now but when they come back, Wenger needs to take action.

Nayan
16-09-2013, 08:12 AM
wilshere needs games to get his fitness abck Letting him cover for cazorla while ramsey enjoys a purple patch of form could be just the thing.

Flamini showed why he should only be backup to arteta. MOTD had it right when they flagged how exposed our midfield left the defence

LDG
16-09-2013, 08:46 AM
WE ARE TOPPALA LEAGUE
SAID WE ARE TOPPALA LEAGUE

:scarf:

:woohoo:

Power n Glory
16-09-2013, 09:23 AM

According to reports, he'd start out wide for Madrid and drift to the centre, deep or behind the striker. He just floats.

LDG
16-09-2013, 09:46 AM
They all float.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/curry-as-it%20copy.jpg

Niall_Quinn
16-09-2013, 10:52 AM
WE ARE TOPPALA LEAGUE
SAID WE ARE TOPPALA LEAGUE

:woohoo:

I must tell you, we have also signed Mesut Ozil.

We've got Mesut Ozil,
We've got Mesut Ozil...

:patrice:

LDG
16-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Were the fans singing anything for him on Saturday?

Syn
16-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Were the fans singing anything for him on Saturday?

They were doing the 'O-zil to the arsenal'.

Need a better one quickly or he's fucking off. We shouldn't have wasted that gem on Giroud, he's not going anywhere. Na na na nana na naaa mesuuuuut. But now it's all ruined.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 12:14 PM
wilshere needs games to get his fitness abck Letting him cover for cazorla while ramsey enjoys a purple patch of form could be just the thing.

Flamini showed why he should only be backup to arteta. MOTD had it right when they flagged how exposed our midfield left the defence

No he shouldn't. Various arsenal sites and personnel on the social media have explained how Flamini's positioning in the 2 clips shown by Shearer were actually not too bad, hence why it's baffling he chose to highlight Flamini's 'lack of cover' when he was actually covering.

Excellent player.

Özim
16-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Flamini's job is to protect the back 4 by protecting the space between the midfield and defence, the clips they showed clearly highlighted he wasn't doing that and that's the reason Sunderland had so much more play in the 2nd half.

The rest of the midfielders simply can't take that role as they're all attacking players. Flamini puts himself about admirably but in terms of protecting the defence in the game on Saturday he was somewhat lacking.

Power n Glory
16-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Shearer was talking crap. I wouldn't trust his analysis or what any of them have to say on MOTD at all.

Penguin
16-09-2013, 01:21 PM
The only thing Shearer should analyse is strikers, because he's useless at analysing any other position.

The first example:
http://puu.sh/4sLHT.jpg
Flamini was in the right position there just outside the D, marking someone. Wilshere and/or Ramsey should've been behind those two midfielders on the right but they were a little slow to get back.

Second example:
http://puu.sh/4sLTM.jpg
Again, nothing wrong there. Flamini was marking the furthest forward midfielder and on his way back.

Third example (the disallowed goal):
http://puu.sh/4sM01.jpg
Right where he should be again. According to Shearer he should have been cutting out the pass to Altidore..? And leave a huge gap in front of the defense? :lol:

I didn't want Flamini back at Arsenal but I have to admit he's doing a good job so far. It looks like he has learned a bit at Milan as he's improved on the positional side of the game and is far less ball-chasey than he was in his first spell here. He gives our midfield some much needed bite and graft.

He does need to improve on the ball and pass more intelligently though.

JonasTC
16-09-2013, 01:30 PM
:gp:

Özim
16-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Right where he should be again. According to Shearer he should have been cutting out the pass to Altidore..? And leave a huge gap in front of the defense? :lol:

There's noone in that gap, everyone else significantly in front of the other midfielders and thus they can track back if they see them moving forward, cutting out the pass to Altidore would be the logical thing to be doing rather than covering empty space where there's no danger.

Being a DM isn't just about sitting in a space waiting, it's anticipating danger as well.

Munchies
16-09-2013, 01:37 PM
They were doing the 'O-zil to the arsenal'.

Need a better one quickly or he's fucking off. We shouldn't have wasted that gem on Giroud, he's not going anywhere. Na na na nana na naaa mesuuuuut. But now it's all ruined.

:lol: True

The Nananana one is amazing, you can hear it from a mile off !

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 01:39 PM
The only thing Shearer should analyse is strikers, because he's useless at analysing any other position.

The first example:
http://puu.sh/4sLHT.jpg
Flamini was in the right position there just outside the D, marking someone. Wilshere and/or Ramsey should've been behind those two midfielders on the right but they were a little slow to get back.

Second example:
http://puu.sh/4sLTM.jpg
Again, nothing wrong there. Flamini was marking the furthest forward midfielder and on his way back.

I didn't want Flamini back at Arsenal but I have to admit he's doing a good job so far. It looks like he has learned a bit at Milan as he's improved on the positional side of the game and is far less ball-chasey than he was in his first spell here. He gives our midfield some much needed bite and graft.

He does need to improve on the ball and pass more intelligently though.

Superb post.

I was just about to post the videos and analyse them but you've done it all for me.

Flamini's positioning for clip 1 was great, on his way back to stifle their attack.

For clip 2, he's the only midfield player tracking back. He's clearly in between the defence and midfield.

For clip 3, if he goes to Altidore, the other sunderland player will run into the space where he's standing now with a free pass on goal. By standing there he has effectively cut out the massive gap we so often see between the defence and midfield. Then Shearer would say 'he should have been in the gap, he's committed himself and left space in behind'.

As we have gathered by now, Shearer's analysis was shocking.

Flamini was outstanding.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Shearer was talking crap. I wouldn't trust his analysis or what any of them have to say on MOTD at all.

I have it on good word from a friend who worked there that the only one who actually watches the matches in detail is Dixon. The rest have their PA's doing all the work for them and they just talk about what's been highlighted. Explains their nonsense.

LDG
16-09-2013, 01:50 PM
There's noone in that gap, everyone else significantly in front of the other midfielders and thus they can track back if they see them moving forward, cutting out the pass to Altidore would be the logical thing to be doing rather than covering empty space where there's no danger.

Being a DM isn't just about sitting in a space waiting, it's anticipating danger as well.

If he moves to block the pass, the Sunderland striker sat on Koscielny's shoulder, drops back into the space to pick up the ball, or when Altidore makes the run, dragging Sagna with him, the Sunderland striker (Gardener?) can make the run directly through the middle.

Flamini is in exactly the right spot tbf.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 01:51 PM
If he moves to block the pass, the Sunderland striker sat on Koscielny's shoulder, drops back into the space to pick up the ball, or when Altidore makes the run, dragging Sagna with him, the Sunderland striker (Gardener?) can make the run directly through the middle.

http://i.imgur.com/dAtcCfH.gif

LDG
16-09-2013, 01:57 PM
You bastard.

I'm going to have to watch the whole gif now <_<

Power n Glory
16-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I have it on good word from a friend who worked there that the only one who actually watches the matches in detail is Dixon. The rest have their PA's doing all the work for them and they just talk about what's been highlighted. Explains their nonsense.

I really don’t find that hard to believe. All we get is lazy, clichéd statements from them. Makes me wonder how much football they watch in general. They shed no insight on the game at all. Sky needs to launch a rival show on Saturday evenings. Match choice is great and they shouldn’t get rid of that, but they’re needs be a bigger Saturday night highlights show.

Power n Glory
16-09-2013, 02:00 PM
You bastard.

I'm going to have to watch the whole gif now <_<

:lol: I was caught in a trance as well.

GP
16-09-2013, 02:00 PM
BBC have first dibs on the highlights, so there's not much they can do about it.

MotD is massively shit though.

Getting rid of Hansen is a good move but you know they'll just replace him with another donkey like Owen or Savage.

LDG
16-09-2013, 02:04 PM
I remember that MOTD for the Arsenal v Wolves game where Dicko had to apologise for the show on twitter afterwards.

They'd gone out of their way to show everything anti-arsenal. I think it was a Fabregas challenge or something that they showed? But completely ignored the straight red challenge (which wasn't given), by the Wolves player.

I was fuming watching it.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:06 PM

There's no way you can be sure of that (these Sunderland players aren't top class strikers with amazing movement) and even if he does it's Koscielny's job to track his run with Sagna behind him as cover.

We also have 2 midfielders pretty much free in the centre.

Letters
16-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I quite like Dixon as a pundit. I think it was half time of the Fenerbache game he showed some clips of our defence and how the positioning was poor - if anyone should know about defensive positioning it's someone who was drilled for years by Graham. And Neville's good too.

The rest of them. Meh.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Even BT sport have trumped them and they've been in existence for 2 months. They go to Mark Halsey during games to analyse big refereeing decisions, I think that's a great move. How can someone like Shearer or Hansen analyse refereeing decisions properly?

And they have a mini-pitch in the studio where experts get up during half time, make their way over to the pitch in the studio, and talk about the incidents that have taken place by reenacting them. They used it brilliantly to analyse Young's diving over the weekend. MOTD should have got onto this years ago.

Mini-pitch is shown here @ 1 min 20:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23531950

Tbf that Jake Humphrey is a pretty decent presenter.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I remember that MOTD for the Arsenal v Wolves game where Dicko had to apologise for the show on twitter afterwards.

They'd gone out of their way to show everything anti-arsenal. I think it was a Fabregas challenge or something that they showed? But completely ignored the straight red challenge (which wasn't given), by the Wolves player.

I was fuming watching it.

I've seen them praise our football countless times, is it that just because they choose to show our weaknesses as well (which we do have otherwise we would have won plenty of trophies in recent years) that makes them anti- Arsenal?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:15 PM
There's no way you can be sure of that (these Sunderland players aren't top class strikers with amazing movement) and even if he does it's Koscielny's job to track his run with Sagna behind him as cover.

We also have 2 midfielders pretty much free in the centre.

Zimm with all due respect running into open space is basic and does not require 'amazing movement'.

LDG
16-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I've seen them praise our football countless times, is it that just because they choose to show our weaknesses as well (which we do have otherwise we would have won plenty of trophies in recent years) that makes them anti- Arsenal?

How is showing one foul they deem to be a red card, and not the other deemed to be an Arsenal weakness?

Dixon apologised afterwards, saying that the production team wouldn't show the apposing teams foul.

Letters
16-09-2013, 02:16 PM

I have to say I do try to be impartial when I watch things like MoTD because I don't believe the media have an 'anti-Arsenal' or 'pro-United' agenda. Individuals may. Generally I don't find it too bad, not as bad as some on here make out, but like LDG I have been at games and then seen the highlights they showed and noticed how they focus on some incidents and completely ignore others which were just as bad or worse. I'm not sure there's an agenda but it does irritate.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Zimm with all due respect running into open space is basic and does not require 'amazing movement'.

True but at the same time we had adequate cover there to snuff out any attack they had.

Syn
16-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't consider MOTD to be particularly biased, but they are just shit.

The 30 second Flamini criticism was really scraping the barrel. You could make 5 of those clips for any player in any game.

That said, I don't think Flamini had a great game. He was reasonably ok. Gave away possession a few times and let a couple of runners go, but generally did his job in the usual efficient way. People praising him but criticising Arteta (yes, SWAYR I'm looking at you) make me chuckle because he genuinely didn't do anything Arteta wouldn't, and I'm guessing Arteta's performance wouldn't be labelled 'outstanding'. But in the Tottenham game - yes, I could see how making a couple of rough challenges got the crowd geed up and intimidated the Tottenham midfield.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:18 PM
How is showing one foul they deem to be a red card, and not the other deemed to be an Arsenal weakness?

Dixon apologised afterwards, saying that the production team wouldn't show the apposing teams foul.

It's not necessarily that incident, it's the sentiment they are anti-Arsenal which I don't understand. Why would they be there's no reason for them to be.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:20 PM
I have to say I do try to be impartial when I watch things like MoTD because I don't believe the media have an 'anti-Arsenal' or 'pro-United' agenda. Individuals may. Generally I don't find it too bad, not as bad as some on here make out, but like LDG I have been at games and then seen the highlights they showed and noticed how they focus on some incidents and completely ignore others which were just as bad or worse. I'm not sure there's an agenda but it does irritate.

Maybe they do focus on some incidents and not other, I don't think they do this with an agenda in mind though, they have a limited time to talk about each game and maybe it's dictated by that.

I've got no problem with saying they get it wrong sometimes, but the agenda against us thing I don't agree with, there's really no reason why this would be the case, as a club we give them no reason to hate us.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Incidentally I thought he was very good against Spurs and was really competitive which helped a lot in a game of that type, just thought in the 2nd half on Saturday Sunderland seemed to get at us a bit too much.

Power n Glory
16-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Even BT sport have trumped them and they've been in existence for 2 months. They go to Mark Halsey during games to analyse big refereeing decisions, I think that's a great move. How can someone like Shearer or Hansen analyse refereeing decisions properly?

And they have a mini-pitch in the studio where experts get up during half time, make their way over to the pitch in the studio, and talk about the incidents that have taken place by reenacting them. They used it brilliantly to analyse Young's diving over the weekend. MOTD should have got onto this years ago.

Mini-pitch is shown here @ 1 min 20:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23531950

Tbf that Jake Humphrey is a pretty decent presenter.

What really pisses me off about MOTD is that they repeat and regurgitate the sort of garbage that floats around in the tabloids without analysing anything for themselves or opening up the debate. The crap about Theo lacking a footballing brain, Arsenal not liking it rough and needing more leaders…it’s soundbite jargon without any thought or analysis behind it half the time. They offer very little insight when discussing certain big issues. There is no point in listening to their analysis after a game.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:24 PM
True but at the same time we had adequate cover there to snuff out any attack they had.

In this picture

I am talking about the guy far right at the top of the screen. Not the CM (Gardner or whatever) which others are pointing out.

If Flamini is not where he is standing right now, the guy on the ball can cut inside and play the ball into the open space for that other striker to run onto, slicing our midfield and defence open with 1 ball. If that striker successfully runs onto the through ball, he has a good chance of scoring. Of course, there are no guarantees it would have led to a goal, but Flamini's position completely neutralised that problem anyway.

That's why everyone is baffled regarding MOTD comments. If Flamini was closer to Sagna where Shearer said he should have been, there would have been a gaping hole for that other player to run into. Or, as others have pointed out (and I hadn't even noticed), Gardner could make a simple run in between the two CM's which would leave a kind of 3 on 3 situation, stretching our defence and leaving us vulnerable.

In the end the ball was played to the player near Sagna and it didn't lead to a goal.

Letters
16-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Maybe they do focus on some incidents and not other, I don't think they do this with an agenda in mind though, they have a limited time to talk about each game and maybe it's dictated by that.

I've got no problem with saying they get it wrong sometimes, but the agenda against us thing I don't agree with, there's really no reason why this would be the case, as a club we give them no reason to hate us.
Individuals may have agendas (Hansen doesn't seem to have much time for us - an Anfield '89 shaped chip on his shoulder IMO - but it's not true to say he never gives us credit) but I agree there's no mass media conspiracy against us. Proof that there isn't is that fans of every team think that the media is uniquely biased against them and fiercely pro their rivals.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't consider MOTD to be particularly biased, but they are just shit.

The 30 second Flamini criticism was really scraping the barrel. You could make 5 of those clips for any player in any game.

That said, I don't think Flamini had a great game. He was reasonably ok. Gave away possession a few times and let a couple of runners go, but generally did his job in the usual efficient way. People praising him but criticising Arteta (yes, SWAYR I'm looking at you) make me chuckle because he genuinely didn't do anything Arteta wouldn't, and I'm guessing Arteta's performance wouldn't be labelled 'outstanding'. But in the Tottenham game - yes, I could see how making a couple of rough challenges got the crowd geed up and intimidated the Tottenham midfield.

Because Arteta is a toothless pussyhole. He wouldn't have made half the challenges Flamini did and he certainly wouldn't have left a black beast like Diakite squealing on the floor in agony. Add countless other things I noticed throughout the game like actually hunting for the ball in an aggressive fashion, imposing himself, and so on.

Arteta is not a DM so should not be played there. Flamini is and should be. In 135 minutes of football he has been more aggressive and imposing than Arteta has been in 2 years.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:31 PM
In the end the ball was played to the player near Sagna and it didn't lead to a goal.

Through luck, Altidore beat Sagna who is a lot smaller than him and put the ball in the net, the whistle went though (it shouldn't have) so Sagna should have then been red carded, we ended up with the best scenario though just a free kick.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Individuals may have agendas (Hansen doesn't seem to have much time for us - an Anfield '89 shaped chip on his shoulder IMO - but it's not true to say he never gives us credit) but I agree there's no mass media conspiracy against us. Proof that there isn't is that fans of every team think that the media is uniquely biased against them and fiercely pro their rivals.

Dion Dublin was given 2 minutes at the start of last season on MOTD when we played Liverpool away and incidentally has been the only one that has gone into detail to analyse how our players (Diaby at the time) was the difference between the 2 teams. His analysis was exceptional. None of the others have done that to us for years. Dion fucking Dublin.

LDG
16-09-2013, 02:34 PM

They're all anti-arsenal :angry:

Actually, you're pretty correct. Most of it is just down to poor pundits.

Neville is brilliant. Dixon is alright. But that's about it really!

Letters
16-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Through luck, Altidore beat Sagna who is a lot smaller than him and put the ball in the net, the whistle went though (it shouldn't have) so Sagna should have then been red carded, we ended up with the best scenario though just a free kick.
We've been on the wrong end of enough decisions down the years. Things like these balance out. It was a poor decision but it happens and it happens both ways.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:35 PM

Yep, and Chelsea should be top of the league but they aren't.

:tiphat:

Niall_Quinn
16-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Flamini has come into a very different team from the one he left. He'll get up to speed in the next few matches. I thought he was average on Saturday, he seemed a step slower than then the pace of the game and was bypassed fairly easily on a few occasions. But he was doing the rounds, geeing the team up and even if that's a bit clichéd communication can only be a good thing. He was reckless with one challenge but didn't go all the way or else he would have been walking, it looked as if he managed to restrain himself so it shows he's thinking on the pitch. Now the dust has settled and particularly since HRH Ozil has arrived I'm pretty comfortable with Flamini as a utility option. Decent if not spectacular player.

Syn
16-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Because Arteta is a toothless pussyhole. He wouldn't have made half the challenges Flamini did and he certainly wouldn't have left a black beast like Diakite squealing on the floor in agony. Add countless other things I noticed throughout the game like actually hunting for the ball in an aggressive fashion, imposing himself, and so on.

Arteta is not a DM so should not be played there. Flamini is and should be. In 135 minutes of football he has been more aggressive and imposing than Arteta has been in 2 years.

Well that's certainly the British way of looking at it. Which is why crud like Scott Parker gets named player of the year. The evidence is all there to show Arteta makes a shitload of tackles and interceptions and he was a major reason we had the second best defensive record in the league last year. As fans, it's nice to see someone charging around 100mph and fouling people, but ultimately we are interested in how easy it is for the opposition to get in behind the midfield and create a goalscoring chance. Last season we were as tight as we have been in the league for some time, and the stats show it. This season with Flamini playing a bigger part, we'll see.

Ideally, we want the pace/energy of Flamini with Arteta's brain, and I was hoping we would spend big money on a DM.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:39 PM
We've been on the wrong end of enough decisions down the years. Things like these balance out. It was a poor decision but it happens and it happens both ways.

I don't disagree, I was just making the point that the only reason Sunderland didn't score in the end was down to luck not good defending.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Well that's certainly the British way of looking at it. Which is why crud like Scott Parker gets named player of the year. The evidence is all there to show Arteta makes a shitload of tackles and interceptions and he was a major reason we had the second best defensive record in the league last year. As fans, it's nice to see someone charging around 100mph and fouling people, but ultimately we are interested in how easy it is for the opposition to get in behind the midfield and create a goalscoring chance. Last season we were as tight as we have been in the league for some time, and the stats show it. This season with Flamini playing a bigger part, we'll see.

Ideally, we want the pace/energy of Flamini with Arteta's brain, and I was hoping we would spend big money on a DM.

I just don't think Arteta in the DM position is the type of player to make us compete. I get the balance argument and appreciate it, but it's no coincidence that we haven't been competing since our last real DM, which was Flamini coincidentally, left.

Xhaka Can’t
16-09-2013, 02:44 PM
What really pisses me off about MOTD is that they repeat and regurgitate the sort of garbage that floats around in the tabloids without analysing anything for themselves or opening up the debate. The crap about Theo lacking a footballing brain, Arsenal not liking it rough and needing more leaders…it’s soundbite jargon without any thought or analysis behind it half the time. They offer very little insight when discussing certain big issues. There is no point in listening to their analysis after a game.

This. MOTD as the most widely available and watched football program is in an ideal position to set the debate agenda. It does nothing of the sort. It is a tired and lazy programme with tired and lazy presenters who do nothing but regurgitate what is in the papers regardless of the material they have to work with.

Özim
16-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Yep, and Chelsea should be top of the league but they aren't.

:tiphat:

I'm not sure why they should be top of the league?

Anyway you said they didn't score from the goal, that's true of course but it wasn't due to good play from us, it was due to a bad decision from the referee.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Also, you're making Flamini sound like he's a brainless rottweiler. Many of us have already explained how his positioning in clip 2 prevented the opposition 'getting in behind the midfield and creating a goalscoring chance', which you highlight is important in your post.

Therefore he offers much more than the typical 'british' ideology of a DM. He has brains and made us 'tight' on saturday, whilst having the sort of aggression Arteta doesn't. Instant upgrade imo.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure why they should be top of the league?

Anyway you said they didn't score from the goal, that's true of course but it wasn't due to good play from us, it was due to a bad decision from the referee.

With Cripps out of the match thread the quality of discussion has really improved. We'll take one for the team and agree to disagree on this one, to ensure we don't Charlie this up for everyone with pitty patty one liners.

Nayan
16-09-2013, 03:02 PM
arteta needs to grow a beard and put himself about more. job's a goodun

Penguin
16-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Altidore was being marked by Sagna and was his responsibility. There's no reason for the DM to commit to either one of those players. Look at where Flamini was standing in the screenshot - he's covering the passing lines to the player at the top left and also protecting the area just in front of our CB line. By protecting that area it takes away the threat of a striker dropping into that area and pulling our CBs out of their defensive line and losing their shape.

That's just a mistake by Sagna and has nothing to do with Flamini. Sagna was marking Altidore and was goal-side of him. All he had to do was stay goal-side rather than trying to out muscle someone twice his size.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 03:05 PM
arteta needs to grow a beard and put himself about more. job's a goodun

Özil's Panoramic View
16-09-2013, 03:06 PM
That's just a mistake by Sagna and has nothing to do with Flamini. Sagna was marking Altidore and was goal-side of him. All he had to do was stay goal-side rather than trying to out muscle someone twice his size.

Niall_Quinn
16-09-2013, 03:18 PM
This is all getting a bit technical isn't? Are we now saying we actually know something about football beyond cheering the good players and booing the bad ones?

Marc Overmars
16-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Not sure why Flamini has come in for some stick but I suppose MOTD had to continue the 'Arsenal have no defensive cover' narrative somehow.

MOTD. :lol:

What a horrific show.

Munchies
16-09-2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27cuLLbBkM

Power n Glory
16-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Not sure why Flamini has come in for some stick but I suppose MOTD had to continue the 'Arsenal have no defensive cover' narrative somehow.

MOTD. :lol:

What a horrific show.

Same old narrative. Have they even picked up on the fact that the Wilshere, Ramsey and Arteta struggle to play together? This beautiful attacking over playing football Arsenal is a thing of the past. They still talk as if we're the same Arsenal weaving pretty patterns on the field with no bite. As if Cesc leaving has had no impact.

LDG
16-09-2013, 03:55 PM

I know it was about Matty, but that touch from Giroud around 1.15 / 1.20 is eactly why he's been so good for us this year so far. He is what we've needed for so long. He's always showing for the ball, and moving about.

Good stuff :d

Transplanted Gooner
16-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Same old narrative. Have they even picked up on the fact that the Wilshere, Ramsey and Arteta struggle to play together? This beautiful attacking over playing football Arsenal is a thing of the past. They still talk as if we're the same Arsenal weaving pretty patterns on the field with no bite. As if Cesc leaving has had no impact.
I used to download caps of MOTD until about 4 years ago, and I just stopped.
They were still on the "OMG, look at how fast Arsenal counterattack" vibe as if they were stuck in pre-05 mode, when each year it became more and more obvious it was all pretty passes to nowhere. I guess they're still 3 or 4 years behind the reality.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-09-2013, 04:21 PM
They all float.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/curry-as-it%20copy.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2421823/Northampton-spooked-man-dressed-terrifying-clown-character-Stephen-Kings-It.html

Master Splinter
16-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I know it was about Matty, but that touch from Giroud around 1.15 / 1.20 is eactly why he's been so good for us this year so far. He is what we've needed for so long. He's always showing for the ball, and moving about.

That's actually always been a strength of Bif's. He pulled off loads of little flicks and those chipped balls over the top for the runner from the left last season. It's just that everyone else is fully in tune with his style now and nearly every player seems to have improved in the final third, which should be the case with young players and relatively new player relationships.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-09-2013, 07:03 PM

Exactly the little things like what he done at 37secs, Arteta doesn't do. I know it probably means fuck all but the way he throws his body about, that's what I expect of a DM. Hardly lost possession in that clip too.

Munchies
16-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Carragher creamed himself over Big Sexy, highlighting what your saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jQHsWJ-1c

Nayan
16-09-2013, 07:45 PM

they did wheel out 'going forward...arsenal good...not so good without ball...'

i dont think they are anti arsenal as such. 'lazy' would be more like it