View Full Version : Match Reaction Marseille Away

Munchies
18-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Good win away, 10 away wins in a row.

Oh and Mourinho :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
18-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Arsenal. :bow:

Mostly a pub performance but Marseille trying to work hard ended up costing them as the game wore on. Shame about the pelanty at the end but only a consolation in the end.

Ollie the Optimist
18-09-2013, 08:44 PM
ten away wins in a row. won the last 6 games. lost only once since the spurs game.

and currently we have a squad of about 13 players.

how good will we be when we have a full fit squad?

i fucking love this club

LDG
18-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Lovely job lads.

Rambo :bow:

Jack worked his socks off tonight too.

On we go :scarf:

Power n Glory
18-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Good to see we can win a game even though we need to iron out a few kinks in the squad.

JonasTC
18-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Stuff of champions! Play like shit and still win :D

4 of 6 conceded goals are from penalties :s Please get us a proper ref soon.

Özil's Panoramic View
18-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Awesome win, even more so as it was a bit of a Must Win.

Was never going to be an easy away game against a physical setup team, though, we made life somewhat hard for ourselves conceding possession cheaply, especially in the 1st 45 mins.

Ramsey. :bow:

Walcott. :bow:

Gibbs. :bow:

Sir Ches. :bow:

Us. :bow:

the ref. :haha:

finally, and most importantly, Maureen. :haha: :haha:

Penguin
18-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Not the most convincing performance but we did the most important thing - getting the result.

Ramsey :bow:

Özim
18-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Great win away from home, didn't play our best but won the game.

milla
18-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Stuff of champions performance tbh. :good:

Master Splinter
Arsenal :bow:. Pubbing a result away from home is a positive. Overcame a hostile crowd, a shit pitch and another diabolical referee to earn a crucial three points.

Marseille were allowed to have the ball, but did nothing too dangerous with it. We took our chances and were mostly professional, apart from sloppiness in the first half, mainly from Flamini. Scary moment from Mertesacker aside, we were quite comfortable.

Gibbs superb all game. Ramsey good defensively and made another match-winning contribution at the other end. Wilshere continued his improvement, despite falling over every two minutes. Ozil was quiet, but still had a few moments of real quality. Theo not so good, but a fantastic finish.

The next game against Napoli should be good.

Marc Overmars
Aside from Merts' and Ramsey's brainfarts, it was a very effective and little bit efficient job. Defended well and were ruthless enough when our chances came. I think they had the better of us physically but they didn't really have any quality to truly hurt us.

Wheelchair and Özil were very calm and assured, while Ramzi was all over the pitch as we now come to expect. Don't think Bif and Theo got much joy from the tanks marking them, however Theo took his goal very well.

Excellent 3 points and already a win that could prove to be crucial in terms of qualifying. 2 big and important games to come now at home.

Lets go Gunners!

Dr Singh
18-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Aaron Ramsey - 7 matches, 6 goals, 5 MOTM awards. What more can you say about him?

Chesney didn't put a foot wrong.

Gibbs was phenomenal today. He's unrecognisable from the player I wrote off 2 years ago. Firm first choice for us and hopefully England soon.

Jack will probably be criticised for his display today by some but he put a good shift in and it's another 90 minutes under his belt. The closer he gets to full match fitness for us the better.

Great result!!

McNamara That Ghost...
18-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Thinking about it, tens wins away from home in a row is quite ridiculous tbf.

Xhaka Can’t
18-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Aaron Ramsey - 7 matches, 6 goals, 5 MOTM awards. What more can you say about him?

Chesney didn't put a foot wrong.

Gibbs was phenomenal today. He's unrecognisable from the player I wrote off 2 years ago. Firm first choice for us and hopefully England soon.

Jack will probably be criticised for his display today by some but he put a good shift in and it's another 90 minutes under his belt. The closer he gets to full match fitness for us the better.

Great result!!

Agree with that, but let not have Gibbs anywhere near the England side.

Marc Overmars
18-09-2013, 09:09 PM

The Emirates. :lol:

Özim
18-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Important win this one, takes the pressure off a bit. Got a couple home games coming up, if we can somehow win those we're home and dry!

Dr Singh
18-09-2013, 09:10 PM

With Wilshere, Walcott, Chamberlain and hopefully Jenkinson soon enough, I'm sure he will feel at home.

Full of pride at our team right now. 10 away wins in a row is incredible, and we still have so many important squad players to return.

Loving Jose Mourinho's start at Chelsea too. He's got them of to the ideal start in their UEFA Cup defense.

Xhaka Can’t
18-09-2013, 09:13 PM
This group has a long way to go yet. If we get out of a group with this quality, we may have the confidence to do better in the round of 16

Ollie the Optimist
18-09-2013, 09:18 PM
This group has a long way to go yet. If we get out of a group with this quality, we may have the confidence to do better in the round of 16

not just that. if we get out of this group, and do it easily too, not a last minute scrape through job, and keep this form up in the league. it will give the team confiendce that they wont just challenge but could actually win things this year. and the fans too.

Japan Shaking All Over
18-09-2013, 09:20 PM

rather not tbh......just loving it at the mo.....Rambo :bow: and lets hope Walcott can become consistent (not at being shit tho)

good away win......got home games to follow....win those and (stop said I didnt want to think)

Master Splinter
18-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Pretty much.

Although there's not a better left-back in the country. Thankfully, Cashley is still number one and Baines is continually overhyped. The fact that Walker is first choice in the right-back position tells you all you need to know about the England set-up.

Fist of Lehmann
18-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Pretty much.

Although there's not a better left-back in the country. Thankfully, Cashley is still number one and Baines is continually overhyped. The fact that Walker is first choice in the right-back position tells you all you need to know about the England set-up.

I thought Gibbs stuck to his man really well tonight. The kid's a real Fanni magnet.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-09-2013, 09:27 PM
WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWW

Ollie the Optimist
18-09-2013, 09:28 PM
wenger out.

we dont need ozil

we have a shit defence

McNamara That Ghost...
18-09-2013, 09:29 PM
The Emirates. :lol:

Bring back Wembley.

LDG
18-09-2013, 09:30 PM
WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWW

We're so fucking lucky :sulk:

Xhaka Can’t
18-09-2013, 09:31 PM
WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWW

Well, it looks OK when you put it like that.

PGFC
18-09-2013, 09:33 PM
I thought Gibbs stuck to his man really well tonight. The kid's a real Fanni magnet.

:haha: well played.

Master Splinter
18-09-2013, 10:23 PM
We're so fucking lucky :sulk:

Just remember who you're referring to.

(Also, the L was a W until Anthony Taylor interfered).

JonasTC
18-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Just remember who you're referring to.

(Also, the L was a W until Anthony Taylor interfered).

Also 4 of 6 conceded goals so far are from penalties... I think FA and UEFA are after us, because we have a good economy and show the world you can still be a top team. They want more russians and arabs to come in and break FFP rules, so they can put more money in their pockets >_<

Syn
18-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Pretty much.

He still has to prove he is better than Cashley and Baines over the course of this season to get the WC call up. He's a very good attacking left back. Apart from providing the cross for the goal, he nearly scored himself after he linked up with Ozil. Defensively he is always improving with gamesHe hasn't actually played that many times for us considering he seems to have been around for ages.

Very important result. Don't think anyone (apart from Gibbs who was decent) played particularly well. But we're getting through some of these games simply by running power. Where the opposition tire, we just don't seem to. Compare that with the way Chelsea faded out today against Basel...they lost the game for no other reason than their midfield just didn't have the legs for it.

Have a feeling Stoke on the weekend might be tougher than I first thought. Comfortably outplayed Man City on the weekend and they've made a good start. It'll be another physical battle. 4th games in 11 days for some - some will start to feel it. Giroud looked knackered today. But it's ok because Ramsey will just storm through everyone. :bow:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-09-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm sure that if I look back in the thread it has dozens of mentions but how much a penalty was that when Mertesacker got toe punted in the mouth.

:yikes: :sulk: Outrageous that it wasn't given. It was worth 3 penalties.

torontogooner
19-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Walcott's volley was superb, seen RVP (spit) do that, but this one was sheer brutish force, a killer strike :drool::drool:

Penguin
19-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Pretty much.

Not sure about that, Gibbs is still very inconsistant. He was poor against spurs (along with Jenks I would have put him in my bottom 3 for that match) and defensively he can be erratic. Cashley is much more dependable defensively than either Baines or Gibbs. He doesn't provide as much as he used to in attack but that's the main reason he gets picked.

Baines is the best attacker of the three and creates tons of chances down the left. I personally think its time for him to be given his chance in the national team.

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Gibbs has to prove his fitness more than anything else - he's already at a standard that's en par with most decent fullbacks in the league, and has shown flashes of form that suggest he could be up there with the best in his position with a bit of conistency, but to do that he needs to be able to go more than 15-20 games without picking up an injury...

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Walcott's volley was superb, seen RVP (spit) do that, but this one was sheer brutish force, a killer strike :drool::drool:

He really wanted that one, didn't he? A lot of pent-up frustration in that shot...

AFC Leveller
19-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Good win, not a great performance. Marseille didnt look like they believed they could score tbh and their fitness levels dropped towards the end which we took full advantage of. a better team (Napoli/Dortmund) would have taken their chances i felt.

well done to Ramsay for another important goal, he's probably the first name on the team sheet at the moment and Gibbs was decent and as were the other of the defenders.

also, HAHA Mourinho.

Nayan
19-09-2013, 07:58 AM
walker isnt first choice RB

BOBN
19-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Walcott will get 30+ goals if hes found his shooting boots. A runner of his sort is absolutely key and its a shame Wenger didnt add another. Hes the only real cutting edge of the team right now.

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 08:36 AM
The biggest job Wenger's gonna have this year is stopping this team from getting too carried away with itself - I'm loving the new fight and effort from everyone, but there's still weaknesses in the side to be exploited, and the potential for a few frantic moments, if we're not careful. Counter-attacking is a great fit for us right now - it compensates for some of our defensive frailties by virtue of getting men back in numbers, quickly, and we have some great options to take advantage going the other way too, when we win the ball back. My concern is that we could also quite easily get sucked back into that high-pressing, tippy-tappy, Barca-lite game, if we get too pleased with ourselves, and I'm not sure we're ready for that yet? Signing Özil is a really encouraging sign for the future, but I think we may need a couple more players of that quality before we can really play that way effectively...

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Walcott will get 30+ goals if hes found his shooting boots. A runner of his sort is absolutely key and its a shame Wenger didnt add another. Hes the only real cutting edge of the team right now.

Every game, he's getting in the right places and having a number of clear goal-scoring chances - he just seems to be picking the wrong option each time when it comes to pulling the trigger? I don't know whether that's encouraging or not, to be honest? On the one hand, you think that he's doing the hard bit, and needs very little to change to start turning those saves and misses into goals - maybe nothing more than confidence? But on the other, the longer the run of spurned chances goes on, the more the nagging doubts start to creep in. Let's hope that goal last night is enough to make the difference...

BOBN
19-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Every game, he's getting in the right places and having a number of clear goal-scoring chances - he just seems to be picking the wrong option each time when it comes to pulling the trigger? I don't know whether that's encouraging or not, to be honest? On the one hand, you think that he's doing the hard bit, and needs very little to change to start turning those saves and misses into goals - maybe nothing more than confidence? But on the other, the longer the run of spurned chances goes on, the more the nagging doubts start to creep in. Let's hope that goal last night is enough to make the difference...
Its encouraging but it would have been nice to have the option of a striker who can run away from the ball from time to time to share the burden.

Should have got Balotelli in Jan when he was considered a reject. That would have been classic Wenger :banghead:

AFC Leveller
19-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Thats why i thought we should have gone for Di maria. Him and Theo runing at FBs with Ozil, jack and Cazorla feeding them.. tasty shit.

at the moment we dont have anyone else who looks to go in behind and use his speed but it would be nice to have Pod back soon.

fakeyank
19-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Whens Podolski coming back?

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Thats why i thought we should have gone for Di maria. Him and Theo runing at FBs with Ozil, jack and Cazorla feeding them.. tasty shit.

at the moment we dont have anyone else who looks to go in behind and use his speed but it would be nice to have Pod back soon.
And Cazorla - not as much of an obvious goal-scorer as Theo or the Pod, but I reckon we could see more goals from both him and Özil when they're both playing in the same side (only one needs to be creating at any given time, so it might just give the other a little more freedom to get on the end of things)?

I was well up for Di Maria, but now I quite like the look of that German lad, Draxler - not quite as proven at this point, but he has a certain direct, marauding style that I like, and I suspect he might have more of an eye for a goal?

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Whens Podolski coming back?

Nov/Dec I think.

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Its encouraging but it would have been nice to have the option of a striker who can run away from the ball from time to time to share the burden.

Should have got Balotelli in Jan when he was considered a reject. That would have been classic Wenger :banghead:

Stick him on the list of players we could/should have signed...

Dein-machine
19-09-2013, 09:57 AM
3 points all important last night, we didn't play well but agree with Rambo's comments after regarding the pitch - not conducive to our quick passing game.
However again & again I cannot understand our substitutions. At 1-0 Marseille bring on a lively player who will double-up on Gibbs & give us problems. AW puts on Monreal to limit the threat & is keen to hold on to our 1-0 lead - I have no issues with that.
But why on earth would he take off Walcott? - I am not a great Walcott fan & I think he's having a poor season but late on when the opponents are tired there is no better player to have on to nick a goal on counter attack. If Marseille had equalised I think our midfield would have dropped to protect the point which would have left a tired looking Giroud upfront on his own. With Walcott on, I still would have fancied us getting another if it went 1-1.
Then however we go 2-0 up with very little time left, bearing in mind we have NO spare strikers & an important league game in 4 days time why the hell did he leave Giroud on the pitch. The guy looked shattered, he was hardly going to get much service as we were now defending our lead & playing keep ball. Why not give Chubba a run out, he's raw, lively & would have gained fantastic experience. Instead we leave a knackered Giroud on, who quite easily could have picked up an injury late on.
Substitutions should be made with the bigger picture in mind, not just to protect a 1 goal lead because sometimes you still concede & then you are fucked.

Xhaka Can’t
19-09-2013, 10:03 AM
I struggled to understand the Theo substitution as well.

LDG
19-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree re: Giroud.

I thought he needed to come off around 80mins or so. It was obvious.

This is Arsene Wenger though.

His computer model probably told him what to do 48 hours ago.

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 10:12 AM
We have no choice but to run Bif into the ground given the injury situation at the moment.

Fist of Lehmann
19-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Could have hooked Geeroo instead of Walcott, let him run around up front like he says he wants to.

He might have bagged another goal but obviously Walcott can't hold the ball up so it does invite pressure.

In that sense, keeping the Frenchman on is the safer option.

I get the feeling though that Wenger wants to give Sanogo pitch time, so I'd imagine Giroud will come off more once the kid is back fit.

Dein-machine
19-09-2013, 10:32 AM
We have no choice but to run Bif into the ground given the injury situation at the moment.

We don't have to play him when we are not looking to score & we had another striker on the bench. The signing of Ozil is fantastic but it is hiding the blatant fact that NOT getting another class striker in transfer window was unbelievable from the manager & the board.

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Relax guys, we have a £40m+ player now - Özil, a GK and the 8 defenders from last night should be more than enough.

I doubt we'll need an 11th man, but I suppose we can always stick Flamini on as another defender, if we want to really make sure of it...

Dennis Bendtner
19-09-2013, 11:19 AM
I didn't like the performance in the first half much but was the plan just to let them have a lot of the ball until our 18-yard line? Valbuena was bright and positive but they didn't have much else. Gignac...christ. The only drawback was not having much conviction going forward.

Wilshere was very good and did most things right. Brief signs of an exciting left-footed partnership with Ozil even though Ozil was peripheral.

Gibbs was very good again apart from some misdirected headers. He deserves more credit because he's covering the whole left flank alone a lot of the time. And he's a real attacking threat making runs inside the full-back.

Dennis Bendtner
19-09-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50bTm0bHUA

:whistle:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Giroud out for the weekend, let's hope he gets back quick:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17093405

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 12:11 PM

you bastard. :lol:

spurs :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
19-09-2013, 12:12 PM

You bastard.

selassie
19-09-2013, 12:25 PM
I thought that was a very disjointed performance, but we got the crucial 3 points and I am pleased with that. We have to step it up for Napoli & Dortmund because they are going to be the KEY games IMHO.

Basically we need bodies back and fast, the current XI are running on empty and as soon as we get the likes of Arteta, Poldi & Santi back, the better it will be.

Özil's Panoramic View
19-09-2013, 02:13 PM
When is Santi due back?

worth a bit of creaming that thought of him and Ozil linking up in our midfield.

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Mid to late October. It will be little bit awesome to see him and Ozil killing it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-09-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP7wWKz9jCQ

Flamini excellent again. Impressed by his range of passing in some of those clips. And it's a breath of fresh air to see someone so aggressive finally in the side.

Munchies
19-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Flamini :bow:

L'Equipe (Biggest French newspaper) rated Ozil 4/10 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2425028/Arsenal-record-signing-Mesut-Ozil-awarded-LEquipe-Champions-League-performance.html)on their match ratings... bitter cunts as they rated Jack 4 aswell. Either way, got the win, those cunts are bottom :pal: