PDA

View Full Version : Wenger Out?

Letters
19-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Do you still want Wenger out? We were pretty much all on the same page about this in the summer but I honestly don't know any more.

Özil was a great signing and maybe shows a corner turned in terms of our transfer policy and after the first day it's been a fantastic start to the season. Concerns remain about our squad depth though and over a long hard season I think it will be found wanting unless we make some signings in January.

He's clearly not the idiot some have made him out to be but he has been (until the Özil signing) hopelessly out of touch with the modern game and transfer market. We've lost the edge we had when he first came and his knowledge of the European game and training methods was unsurpassed.

This long without a trophy isn't good enough for a club of our stature but we do seem to be moving in the right direction now and changing manager would probably see us lose momentum.

In brief...Wenger in?

The Ogg Monster
19-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Anyone who wanted Wenger out are fucking morons, I certainly didnt. Wenger out, who in? It would be Arsenal F.C suicide to sack Wenger. So shortsighted. He will leave when he wants and this season is very promising so no-one should want him out
now.

LDG
19-09-2013, 12:42 PM
He shouldn't be given a contract until the end of the season.

The signs are positive, but lets wait until we have a bad patch and see how he, and the team react.

Injuries are pretty bad at the moment, but we have been especially unlucky this early in the campaign.

That said, we should have signed a striker, and if he doesn't buy in that position in January, I think questions will again have to be asked.

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Well signing Özil and recovering so well from the Villa game doesn't rewrite history, but I think I'm feeling more hopeful now than at any point in recent memory. Happy to see how things pan out but still wary about what lies ahead because we've had enough false dawns to last a lifetime.

Wenger in...for now.

LDG
19-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I should add, that I am not suprised we're playing well, and getting results.

He's a very good manager. The question has always been, has he outstayed his welcome and gone stale.

Infuriating as he can be, I still love him to bits, and would love to see him guide us to some silverware again.

:cloud9:

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 12:45 PM
no hes the best manager ever

but seriously. he gets this season, confidence is high etc so no point sacking him or announcing he is leaving until the very end. dont want that hanging over us. but he doenst deserve a new contract as yet. compared to after teh villa game, he is a lot closer to a new contract but still not quite ready for it. if by march/april we are seriously challenging, maybe even won the carling cup, then yes give him a new 2/3 year deal.

in terms of the team. last seaon there was a noticed new ruthlessness about wenger. just look at vermaelen. no sympathy, he wasnt playing well so he just dropped him. this season too, hes been quite ruthless. changing the team when needed. in 2013, we have taken more points then anyone else, ten away wins in a row. 6 clean sheets, 4 goals conceded in that run. he is clearly doing somehting right and this team right now just seems to refuse to lose.
against spurs, it wasnt hanging on praying for the whistle to go, it was a standing there saying to spurs, we can do this all day, you wont score. we are going to beat to you.

does wenger deserve to go now? no. does he deserve a new contract? not yet. but if we are seriously challenging and have won a cup, by march/april then sign him up. in fact any trophy this season gets him a new contract, id probaly say if we make a final he gets it oo

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-09-2013, 12:46 PM
A good start to a season changes very little at the moment. We've had positive spells before only to be completely let down. I still don't want him to sign a new contract, too much has happened to simply overlook. Let's get to march/april and see where we are.

However, if we come out the january window having addressed our issues with a top class striker, I will probably be back in the 'support wenger' camp. All we ever wanted was to address our issues and make an effort to compete, over the past few years we haven't. If they do that, I can't really complain.

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Anyone who wanted Wenger out are fucking morons

:doh:

LDG
19-09-2013, 12:47 PM
However, if we come out the january window having addressed our issues with a top class striker, I will probably be back in the 'support wenger' camp. All we ever wanted was to address our issues and make an effort to compete, over the past few years we haven't. If they do that, I can't really complain.

:gp:

Yep.

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 12:49 PM
i think most fans, even those who do think wengers time is up, would love to see him and him alone, standing there with our next trophy above his head.

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 12:51 PM
i think most fans, even those who do think wengers time is up, would love to see him and him alone, standing there with our next trophy above his head.

Exactly right.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-09-2013, 12:52 PM
no hes the best manager ever

but seriously. he gets this season, confidence is high etc so no point sacking him or announcing he is leaving until the very end. dont want that hanging over us. but he doenst deserve a new contract as yet. compared to after teh villa game, he is a lot closer to a new contract but still not quite ready for it. if by march/april we are seriously challenging, maybe even won the carling cup, then yes give him a new 2/3 year deal.

in terms of the team. last seaon there was a noticed new ruthlessness about wenger. just look at vermaelen. no sympathy, he wasnt playing well so he just dropped him. this season too, hes been quite ruthless. changing the team when needed. in 2013, we have taken more points then anyone else, ten away wins in a row. 6 clean sheets, 4 goals conceded in that run. he is clearly doing somehting right and this team right now just seems to refuse to lose.
against spurs, it wasnt hanging on praying for the whistle to go, it was a standing there saying to spurs, we can do this all day, you wont score. we are going to beat to you.

does wenger deserve to go now? no. does he deserve a new contract? not yet. but if we are seriously challenging and have won a cup, by march/april then sign him up. in fact any trophy this season gets him a new contract, id probaly say if we make a final he gets it oo

Spot on.

We have a good platform going into the january window. If they build on that with top quality signing(s), we can really push on and compete.

Signing players in january is crucial though, we can't retreat into a safe haven where we think nature will run its course and gift us a trophy just because we signed 1 world class player in the summer. That won't happen. We must now push forward and one part of that is getting into the cycle of buying players on a regular basis again.

Power n Glory
19-09-2013, 12:53 PM
It's way to early for this sort of thread.

GP
19-09-2013, 12:56 PM
http://goalstage.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/97bfe3c8nger-trophy.jpg

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 12:56 PM

it is and it isnt. he is out of contract this season, its perfectly reasonable to discuss wether to give him a new one or not. with players, we hate it when they go into the final year, open talks two years before the end etc but why dont we with a manager?

LDG
19-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I would dearly love to see that extactic smile on his face again.

No WUMger smile.

Just that "We just won the league at Old Trafford" smile.

Letters
19-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't see how there's any right or wrong time to have a debate about this sort of thing.
People's views about this will vary over time but for most of the summer there were very few people defending Wenger.
A very good signing and start to the season and that will clearly change people's opinions so I started the thread to find out where people were at right now.
It's pretty much the point of this place :shrug:

torontogooner
19-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Wenger has been remiss in not strengthening the squad. It borders on dereliction of duty and also shows a level of borderline incompetence. In addition I question his business acumen and that of the executive team in wheeling and dealing for new players. It would seem that they are regarded as a soft touch by other clubs. Why do they leave things to the last minute? Close the deals early, that would make their lives and our lives far easier.

My jury on Wenger is still out and pondering.

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 01:11 PM
I would dearly love to see that extactic smile on his face again.

No WUMger smile.

Just that "We just won the league at Old Trafford" smile.

:gp: this.

there would be no greater sight in football this season then Arsene standing there with that trophy above his head, smiling as he knows he did it. and did it his way.

his way might have his flaws, it might drive us up the wall, but if he stands there with a trophy this season then the last 8 years will have been worth it. and as gary neville said, it would look like one of the greatest managerial performances to keep us in the top four every year. and then to win that trophy too.

I am invisible
19-09-2013, 01:19 PM
My last Amazon purchase took too long to arrive - Wenger out!

Power n Glory
19-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't see how there's any right or wrong time to have a debate about this sort of thing.
People's views about this will vary over time but for most of the summer there were very few people defending Wenger.
A very good signing and start to the season and that will clearly change people's opinions so I started the thread to find out where people were at right now.

After two games, it's silly for anyone to have a firm stance on this. Ozil hasn't even played a home game yet. The team needs time and there is no fair way to assess the direction of the club at this point.

Syn
19-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure he'll go at the end of the season regardless of how we get on. He normally signs with at least a year or so to go. The easy thing for him would've been to sign a new contract now (or a couple of weeks ago) when the fans were delighted with the Ozil signing, and Ozil himself said that Wenger was the main reason he signed. We are also playing well right now (2nd in the table) and I think now would've been the best time to slip the news under the radar a little when games are coming thick and fast.

But he hasn't done that and I fully expect him to walk out at the end of the season. Go to PSG or Real Madrid or summat.

Letters
19-09-2013, 01:31 PM
After two games, it's silly for anyone to have a firm stance on this. Ozil hasn't even played a home game yet. The team needs time and there is no fair way to assess the direction of the club at this point.
People had a firm enough stance after one game :shrug:

You're right to an extent of course but I thought it would be interesting to see how people's opinions had changed after the Özil signing and the good start to the season.

Power n Glory
19-09-2013, 01:33 PM
People had a firm enough stance after one game :shrug:

You're right to an extent of course but I thought it would be interesting to see how people's opinions had changed after the Özil signing and the good start to the season.

Okay, Adrian Durham! After one game people wanted Wenger out.

Slow day, huh?

torontogooner
19-09-2013, 01:34 PM
It's never to early for this thread considering the drought we have had for 7/8 years. Hell, I'd like to see him lift a trophy, but one top signing does not vindicate his poor management performance since our last trophy.

The Ogg Monster
19-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Yeah you were silly for thinking that, but I forgive you.

Dein-machine
19-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Agree Letters that there's nothing wrong with debating this now although I disagree with your opinion on Wumger. He will always be seen as a legend in my eyes, he has helped transform this club into one of the finest in the world ( even with limited recent success on the pitch ) & we are envied by many ( especially the Spuds ). However the lack of new signings means that he is too naive to manage & have success in a league which unfortunatley is financially very different to when he 1st arrived & enjoyed success. We need a manager who can move with the times, not one that is stuck in time. There are now plenty of managers hell bent on playing the beautiful game a-la Barcelona but unless you are prepared to pay the money for the quality of the likes of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc then it can't & won't happen.
Bayern dominate the German league because they buy the best players & pay the best wages. The same for Barca & Madrid. You will now see it with PSG in France. Man City did within 2 years of money arriving, what they couldn't do for 25 years. Chelsea the same.
Wumger won't have it & thinks he can compete on a different level. The last 8 years should be proof that he can't & the fact that we didn't buy at least 1 class striker in transfer window should be a sackable offence on its own.
He says he is concerned about the strength of his squad - who's fault is that.

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah you were silly for thinking that, but I forgive you.

There were plenty of rational reasons for wanting a change. The only morons are the militant fans who camp at one end of the spectrum.

I forgive you though.

GP
19-09-2013, 01:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/El4cbl1.jpg

Özil's Panoramic View
19-09-2013, 01:50 PM

saw it too. :lol:

Özil's Panoramic View
19-09-2013, 01:51 PM

this bit. ^^^

Montyzuma
19-09-2013, 02:52 PM
It will take more than a few wins for me to forget some of the crap that has gone on over the last 5 years or so. The fact he has started to spend some money and admitted that he hadn't spent in the past because it wasn't there has calmed me down a bit.

It does feel good to be playing well/competing and to finally have some honesty coming out of the club but still to early for a new contract.

Dein-machine
19-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Agree Letters that there's nothing wrong with debating this now although I disagree with your opinion on Wumger. He will always be seen as a legend in my eyes, he has helped transform this club into one of the finest in the world ( even with limited recent success on the pitch ) & we are envied by many ( especially the Spuds ). However the lack of new signings means that he is too naive to manage & have success in a league which unfortunatley is financially very different to when he 1st arrived & enjoyed success. We need a manager who can move with the times, not one that is stuck in time. There are now plenty of managers hell bent on playing the beautiful game a-la Barcelona but unless you are prepared to pay the money for the quality of the likes of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc then it can't & won't happen.
Bayern dominate the German league because they buy the best players & pay the best wages. The same for Barca & Madrid. You will now see it with PSG in France. Man City did within 2 years of money arriving, what they couldn't do for 25 years. Chelsea the same.
Wumger won't have it & thinks he can compete on a different level. The last 8 years should be proof that he can't & the fact that we didn't buy at least 1 class striker in transfer window should be a sackable offence on its own.
He says he is concerned about the strength of his squad - who's fault is that.

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Pretty sure he'll go at the end of the season regardless of how we get on. He normally signs with at least a year or so to go. The easy thing for him would've been to sign a new contract now (or a couple of weeks ago) when the fans were delighted with the Ozil signing, and Ozil himself said that Wenger was the main reason he signed. We are also playing well right now (2nd in the table) and I think now would've been the best time to slip the news under the radar a little when games are coming thick and fast.

But he hasn't done that and I fully expect him to walk out at the end of the season. Go to PSG or Real Madrid or summat.

i think hes probably going to stay, purely because of what Ozil said. Arsene convinced him to come with one phone call, not just to sign either for a few years but a five year contract. suggests to me that Arsene has a plan, that is longer then one year.

fakeyank
19-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I still want Wenger out based on what has gone on for the last many seasons... Do I want him to prove me wrong? Absolutely! There is no manager I'd like to prove me wrong and bring Arsenal back on top again. Do I think he has the ability to prove me wrong? Really not sure about this one... while Ozil's signing makes me think that the tide has changed, the thought of how threadbare our squad is, makes me think otherwise. Until and unless we are realistically challenging for honors come April, I'd like to reserve judgement on him.

Either way, he has got some respect back in my eyes by the signing of Ozil.. I despised everything about him till then. Makes you wonder how different things wouldve been if we got our signings in early and we had a positive atmosphere around the Emirates right from the beginning of the season. I cannot forget the negativity of everyone at the Emirates on match day v/s Villa... it was a poisonous atmosphere!

Master Splinter
19-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Why did Wenger buy Veron?

Ollie the Optimist
19-09-2013, 04:24 PM
the villa game was horrrible. the atmosphere was awful, but right now it looks like a complete one off. take into the account the refereeing display it looks like we can write it off as a freak.

however your point about not getting the signings into before is correct. ill let the ozil one go as that was clear it was dependent on bale but should have got others in. even flamini would have been good against villa.

Dennis Bendtner
19-09-2013, 04:38 PM

I don't expect Wenger to leave after only having a year of coaching his record signing and a young squad. It would be odd anyway. By all accounts he's wanted Ozil for a number of years so I don't see that as some sort of present to the fans. I think this coming contract will be his last and probably take him to 2017.

I've not been a follower of Wengeroutism. There aren't many better managers out there, less available, and would we think the board would be able to find and sign one of them? It's very difficult. Who knows, Chips Keswick might be able to entice Guardiola but quite a few average managers have found themselves at big clubs recently.

Xhaka Can’t
19-09-2013, 05:38 PM

I disagree. There has been a palpable change in the mood of the fan base because it would appear we have turned a corner in terms of making full use of our resources.

I have wanted a managerial change for around 3 years. I don't want him out presently. I do however want to see what happens in the January window before making a call on whether he ought to be offered a new contract.

Özil's Panoramic View
19-09-2013, 06:41 PM
a poll wouldn't go amiss.....

Shaqiri Is Boss
19-09-2013, 06:42 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01236/graham_poll_1236337c.jpg

Xhaka Can’t
19-09-2013, 07:00 PM
You must live the life of Riley.

Power n Glory
19-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I disagree. There has been a palpable change in the mood of the fan base because it would appear we have turned a corner in terms of making full use of our resources.

I have wanted a managerial change for around 3 years. I don't want him out presently. I do however want to see what happens in the January window before making a call on whether he ought to be offered a new contract.

Exactly. It's still too early. It's unreasonable to suggest he should go now considering it looks like we may finally be on to a new chapter, but equally foolish to say we should offer him a new contract now. We've played two games since signing Ozil. The starting line up and positions haven't even been established with the first team yet. Plenty to see on the field yet. Enjoy the next few months and see how things play out.

Bumble
19-09-2013, 07:32 PM
with wenger it hasn't been because he hasn't signed the right players, we have had quality players before yet won nothing. we have lost to inferior sides, had many embarrassing performances in recent memory that a good run recently cant eradicate. the struggles happen when we juggle competitions. our best performances tend to be when there is only one target. We have had a pretty easy start to the season, even Spurs at home with a lot of new players getting to know each other would have been a lot tougher in November/December. Lets see where we are by Christmas before we can ascertain whether a corner has been turned. Wenger has spent longer not winning trophies than winning trophies. He doesn't deserve a new contract, he is 63 so cant go on forever anyway but perhaps the Ozil signing can impress a new manager like Klopp for example.

Xhaka Can’t
19-09-2013, 07:51 PM
No, it is a point of view, others see it differently. In fact I see it differently from how I did last month, because if asked then, my answer would have been very different. Therefore it is a valid question.

Exactly. It's still too early. It's unreasonable to suggest he should go now considering it looks like we may finally be on to a new chapter, but equally foolish to say we should offer him a new contract now. We've played two games since signing Ozil. The starting line up and positions haven't even been established with the first team yet. Plenty to see on the field yet. Enjoy the next few months and see how things play out.

GP
19-09-2013, 07:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Kf2x0YN.jpg

Marc Overmars
19-09-2013, 08:09 PM

:haha:

Japan Shaking All Over
19-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I have never had the balls to say outright "Wenger Out" but I my frustration has at times got the better of me and showing him the door seemed like the only option. The bridge of who would repalce him is going to have to be crossed one day but for the time being Wenger is ok to stay imo.

However, I still feel we fall short in our transfer dealings, for some time now we seem to get rid of more than we bring in and we dance very close to the edge with regards to what the squad is asked to do. We should have bolstered the squad with a couple of decent squad players if we were going to put all our eggs in Ozils basket but I suppose we may never be allowed to have it all good.

We need a great dealof damage limitation till the likes ofArteta are back to help out and then after that we need to free wheel it to Jan.....then we do need to buy again.....preferably at the beginning of Jan rather than 10 minutes to February!

Show us what youre made of Wenger

RomfordPele
19-09-2013, 10:04 PM
He still seems to be the same old wenger as far as I can see: sells throughout july, sits on his hands all August and then complains all September that he doesn't have the squad to deal with the injuries.

Signing ozil was the bare minimum to protect himself from fan backlash, and for me the jury's out on whether this summer's dealings amount to just mild incompetence or full-scale negligence - not a ringing endorsement either way.

Time will tell I guess but he's still got an awful lot to do before I'd be convinced he's the right man beyond 2014.

Transplanted Gooner
19-09-2013, 10:45 PM
He still seems to be the same old wenger as far as I can see: sells throughout july, sits on his hands all August and then complains all September that he doesn't have the squad to deal with the injuries.

Signing ozil was the bare minimum to protect himself from fan backlash, and for me the jury's out on whether this summer's dealings amount to just mild incompetence or full-scale negligence - not a ringing endorsement either way.

Time will tell I guess but he's still got an awful lot to do before I'd be convinced he's the right man beyond 2014.
There's too much negligence over too long a period for me to want him to renew his contract under the existing conditions.

V-Pig
20-09-2013, 04:58 AM

Zlatan :bow:

PGFC
20-09-2013, 07:05 AM

Özil's Panoramic View
20-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Zlatan :bow:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Would a contract decision be sensible at the beginning of January then? That way enough time would have passed to see where the team is at and moreover, the managers intentions going forward.....

On a side note I suspect a player of Ozil's ability and connections would very much respect a progressive and proactive manager like Klopp....and even only a year being coached under Wenger can be telling for a player as talented as Ozil is.

LDG
20-09-2013, 02:18 PM

The Ogg Monster
21-09-2013, 12:00 PM
So, an answer to the thread question, Wenger out? No.

AFC Leveller
22-09-2013, 11:07 AM
lets wait until the end of the season. Give him time to buy in January and if he wins a trophy or we see real improvement then id like him to stay and guide us back to the top.

i personnaly dont belive he's bene hamstrung by our finances but i saw an interview with him the other day where he said something like "i'll be honest with you, this was the first time i had big money available but nobody to buy".

Zerlathon
22-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Honestly, I don't feel that we need to win a Trophy to validate whether or not Wenger should stay (although it would be a major plus). I would be happy if we simply gave it a good go at challenging for various honours and that we actually compete for the title this season.

Ollie the Optimist
22-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Honestly, I don't feel that we need to win a Trophy to validate whether or not Wenger should stay (although it would be a major plus). I would be happy if we simply gave it a good go at challenging for various honours and that we actually compete for the title this season.

i think you are right there as long as we sign someone in january. if it looks like we did everything we could to win then fair enough. let him stay. if he refuses to spend etc in january, says current squad is good enough yet they fail then questions have to be asked and i think we all know the answer to them

The Ogg Monster
25-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I think we'd have to get relegated for the board to sack him and even then he'd probably get one more season.
So does anyone think there was ever a chance in hell of him getting sacked?

Ive yet to hear a convincing Wenger out argument and now that he has signed the best assister in the world and we're top proves there never was.one imo.

Letters
25-09-2013, 08:23 AM
I don't think we'd have to get relegated, for all our problems we have still finished top 4 every year. God knows how but we have.
It seems clear enough that's the board's target for him and he's met it. If we'd slid into mid-table he'd have been out IMO.
Keeping us top 4 without spending much money, what's not to like? (From a business point of view)

WMUG
25-09-2013, 08:38 AM
And now we've saved up for one power season. It was the plan all along. :trophy:

Letters
25-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Maybe it was. :shrug:
And the frustrating this is we were damn close to winning some trophies in the 'lean' years. Had we done so they'd be regarded very differently.
But coming close doesn't cut it of course.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 09:07 AM
I think we'd have to get relegated for the board to sack him and even then he'd probably get one more season.
So does anyone think there was ever a chance in hell of him getting sacked?

Ive yet to hear a convincing Wenger out argument and now that he has signed the best assister in the world and we're top proves there never was.one imo.

But are you convinced he should stay? - What does being top after 5 games prove when we haven't competed against the Chelski or the Mancs for years?

The Ogg Monster
25-09-2013, 09:10 AM
But they have billions. Without wenger wed have done worse. Just sacking managers left right aonly works at chelsea. Where they have tonnes of money.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 09:32 AM
But they have billions. Without wenger wed have done worse. Just sacking managers left right aonly works at chelsea. Where they have tonnes of money.

United haven't been the most successful team in PL because they have billions - they don't. Fergie was continually rebuilding, fine tuning with a mixture of youth & experience. He was aware of the Chelski & Manc Shity threat & still beat them without spending what they have. Wumger can't & doesn't do this, he is incapable of doing this as he doesn't think he should or needs to. When it was clear 4/5 years ago that Wumger wasn't for change, we needed change.
A 60+ year old man who's coaching methods are now very antiquated compared to the likes of Dortmund cannot bring success to this club unless he buys it & we know he won't.

Letters
25-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Tbh, comparing any manager with Fergie is like comparing most runners with Usain Bolt.
Both are little bit freak in their respective fields.
Wenger certainly could have done more to compete though.

The Ogg Monster
25-09-2013, 09:55 AM
But all I hear is we need change, sack him etc.. without any thought to how much worse it could get or could be sans Wenger.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Tbh, comparing any manager with Fergie is like comparing most runners with Usain Bolt.
Both are little bit freak in their respective fields.
Wenger certainly could have done more to compete though.

I think Wumger thinks he compares with Fergie and favourably. If you take the situation 2 years ago when Fergie realised they needed a quality 20 goals+ striker they bought our top scorer because we thought that was better for us than paying him more. This year when even the tea lady realised we need a quality 20+ goals striker we did what? - Sonogo. SO yes, I think your are correct - Wenger certainly could do more to compete.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 10:02 AM
But all I hear is we need change, sack him etc.. without any thought to how much worse it could get or could be sans Wenger.

But have you asked yourself why this is "all you hear"

Marc Overmars
25-09-2013, 10:03 AM

It is a gamble, I don't think anyone has said getting rid of him is a sure-fire route to success. At various points over the past few years it got to the point where not many of us could see much light at the end of the tunnel, patience wore thin and rolling the dice seemed like the only chance we might have of getting out of this rut. As fans regardless of what your expectations are, watching the same thing over and over again is not enjoyable.

KSE Comedy Club
25-09-2013, 10:06 AM
This has been done to death and plenty of posters have stated a number of valid reasons as to why wenger should go.

I think it's actually now time for us to hear valid reasons as to why he should stay.

LDG
25-09-2013, 10:26 AM
This has been done to death and plenty of posters have stated a number of valid reasons as to why wenger should go.

I think it's actually now time for us to hear valid reasons as to why he should stay.

I don't think there are many in the camp who think he should be given a new contract now.

Some people still think he's gone as far as he can and should go now, and I think the majority now feel that he should be given until the end of the season to see where we stand.

If he again looks to add quality in January, we challenge (realistically, not in the top four sense), and make positive steps forward, then maybe it warrants a new contract.

At this point, you can't say he SHOULD be given a new deal, because a collapse could be just around the corner.

But it's clear that there is optimism around the club, and most fans seem to be content to see where this leads us this year. If, ultimately, it ends up as more of the same, then he shouldn't be given a new deal. Simple as.

PGFC
25-09-2013, 10:28 AM

They might put Di Canio in instead :yikes:

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I would be happy & it would be good for everyone if Wumger was allowed to install a proper "assistant" that was being taught the ropes. This could be good so Wumger could walk away on a agreed date with his head held high. I am no longer a fan of his & I think an awful lot of you have been hoodwinked with the Ozil signing, but at the end of the day he has done wonders for the club in the past & we should remember him for good reasons not bad. The issue is that the assistant cannot be a "yes" man, he needs a valid opinion of his own & I would like to see this person get involved with issues such as tactics & new players - areas where Wumger has lost it.
My choice would be to offer DB10 the role with a view to him taking over properly in 2015.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't understand why people think Bould is a yes man and think Bergkamp wouldn't be. Doesn't make any sense.

The Ogg Monster
25-09-2013, 12:19 PM

1)Arsene Wenger is the most successfull Arsenal F.C manager of all time
2)We are top of the league.
3) We have qualified for the champions league ahead of Spurs who have spent far more and achieved far less.
4) Who do we replace him with? (Ozil stated he joined mainly because of Arsene Wenger, who called him, spoke in GErman and persuaded him Arsenal was the best place for him.
5) Arsenal F.C have, whilst qualifying for Cl every since the Cl started, achieved a profit that equals/almost equals, i cant remember, the profit made by every other PL club put together! (I think this is true)
6)Who do replace him with please?

Ive yet to hear a convincing argument as to who would do a better job. I believe this is because all that call for Wengers head are reactionist fools who have no sight of the long term. AW is a genius manager who brought us into a new staium and has found a way to keep us in the top four despite Man City and Chelsea having unlimited cash, or financial doping as the great man once put it.

Just look at Spurs (lol) who have changed manager time and time again, spent FAR more than us, and achieved FAR less.

Arsene Wenger is a one in a million manager who we need to keep as long as the human boday can keep a man managing a football club for.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't understand why people think Bould is a yes man and think Bergkamp wouldn't be. Doesn't make any sense.

Was Bould not part of the team that stood by in the whole of the transfer window & did nothing about getting a quality striker. This failure after the promise of "Summer spending" from the board & in view of our lack of quality forwards is gross negligence at the very least.
Which world-class players are going to sign for a team run by Steve Bould. His only interest is defensively, you can ask people down at Colney & they'll all tell you, he's just a newer Pat Rice.

Power n Glory
25-09-2013, 12:41 PM
This is the first time Wenger has had a massive budget to play with. All talk of his future should be assessed in January. If it's a sense of deja vu by then and we're struggling with the same problems, then we've run out of options for him. Where else is there to go?

McNamara That Ghost...
25-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Was Bould not part of the team that stood by in the whole of the transfer window & did nothing about getting a quality striker. This failure after the promise of "Summer spending" from the board & in view of our lack of quality forwards is gross negligence at the very least.
Which world-class players are going to sign for a team run by Steve Bould. His only interest is defensively, you can ask people down at Colney & they'll all tell you, he's just a newer Pat Rice.

I think that's all largely irrelevant. It's not Bould's responsibility to make sure players are signed; I don't think any player is signed based on the strength of who might be the assistant.

Do you think Bergkamp's vision of how football is and should be played will be vastly different to Wenger's and in lieu of that where is the disagreement between the two going to come from? Like you say, Bould's ethos is mainly about defending which would surely make him likely to be less of a yes man than someone who shares Wenger's sentiments of attacking.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 12:49 PM
1)Arsene Wenger is the most successfull Arsenal F.C manager of all time
2)We are top of the league.
3) We have qualified for the champions league ahead of Spurs who have spent far more and achieved far less.
4) Who do we replace him with? (Ozil stated he joined mainly because of Arsene Wenger, who called him, spoke in GErman and persuaded him Arsenal was the best place for him.
5) Arsenal F.C have, whilst qualifying for Cl every since the Cl started, achieved a profit that equals/almost equals, i cant remember, the profit made by every other PL club put together! (I think this is true)
6)Who do replace him with please?

Ive yet to hear a convincing argument as to who would do a better job. I believe this is because all that call for Wengers head are reactionist fools who have no sight of the long term. AW is a genius manager who brought us into a new staium and has found a way to keep us in the top four despite Man City and Chelsea having unlimited cash, or financial doping as the great man once put it.

Just look at Spurs (lol) who have changed manager time and time again, spent FAR more than us, and achieved FAR less.

Arsene Wenger is a one in a million manager who we need to keep as long as the human boday can keep a man managing a football club for.

You are exactly the kind of Arsenal fan that the board wants. Let me take you back to the early days of success for Wenger & building work on-site at Highbury. We asked Wembley if we could play our Champions League games there & got 80,000+ for a few home games - WOW thought the board, if we had a bigger ground we could make alot more money from the poor bastards on the 8 year waiting list at Highbury. But how can we get our fans to agree to move from the History of Highbury. Well, that's easy, we'll tell them that we're doing it to become the biggest club in England & compete with the best in the world. These were words echoed by Arsene.
What they forget to tell us was that this would all take about 10 years, just incase some of us didn't want to buy a season ticket to watch us consistantly trying to finish fourth by doing exactly the opposite of what we were promised - "competing".

As Arsenal fans we are all living on former glory - Wenger's early success gave us the need for a bigger stadium but the difference was how we view success. Fans like you view it through a lovely stadium with money in the bank, others want what we were promised. Another few years of Wenger & we won't need the Emirates - we'll ground swap with Orient & give that prick Hearn the big stadium he wants so that his 4,000 fans can go & have a dozen seats each.

Letters
25-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Do you seriously think we'd have stayed in the top 4 had we stayed at Highbury?
I realise that shouldn't be the only aim but we've got more chance of competing if we stay in the top 4 than had we slipped into mid-table.

GP
25-09-2013, 01:01 PM
If we were still at Highbury we'd be fucked right now.

Syn
25-09-2013, 01:08 PM
If we were still at Highbury we'd be fucked right now.

If you want to be a self-sufficient club, sooner or later we would've needed to make the step up. Even the spuds realise that and I've always said I respect the way they've handled the club at upper management. Now it's clear we are fucking loaded and sustain higher wage bills and high transfer fees with the higher revenues coming in. Exciting times ahead, it seems. Shame FFP is a fairytale myth but even so we should compete.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Do you seriously think we'd have stayed in the top 4 had we stayed at Highbury?
I realise that shouldn't be the only aim but we've got more chance of competing if we stay in the top 4 than had we slipped into mid-table.

Absolutely - if we had bought sensibly & strengthened the Invincibles team with like for like players & then got rid of the dead-wood on the board, let Mr Dein bring in his Russian mate to give us some spending money why the hell not. Chelsea have a shit awful stadium & they have won the C.L Ffs - not just qualified.
Why on earth would we have slipped into mid-table - they doesn't say alot for the "wonders of Wenger"

Power n Glory
25-09-2013, 01:21 PM
We’d have stayed top four at Highbury. Man Utd and Chelsea were the only teams with crazy spending power back then and we weakened our team as a result of the move to the Emirates. We’d probably have serious problems now sustaining top four now that the teams below us have gotten better with more money and better managers.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 02:01 PM
We’d have stayed top four at Highbury. Man Utd and Chelsea were the only teams with crazy spending power back then and we weakened our team as a result of the move to the Emirates. We’d probably have serious problems now sustaining top four now that the teams below us have gotten better with more money and better managers.

Thank god for this post - there are some sense on GW this afternoon

Syn
25-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Thank god for this post - there are some sense on GW this afternoon

He's basically saying you're talking rubbish and that we needed the move.

Özil's Panoramic View
25-09-2013, 02:06 PM
A bit rich questioning the move a bigger stadium. Sure some dishonesty was involved, as the whole truth wasn't told about how long it would take us to start competing on the pitch again, but it appears to be paying off now. Bit late, but as the old saying goes, better late than never.

We've been patient...... well some of us, ie (I'm not even part if that 'us' ffs), and now we've just made our record signing. And what a signing it was. :cloud9: Brighter days seem ahead, and I'm willing to tentatively have some faith in Wenger, at least till January through May, to see what exactly was this vision he used to convince Ozil to come here.

If I'm left feeling duped again, then so be it. Comes with the territory of being a passionate supporter of the Club I reckon.

I am invisible
25-09-2013, 02:07 PM
If you want to be a self-sufficient club, sooner or later we would've needed to make the step up. Even the spuds realise that and I've always said I respect the way they've handled the club at upper management. Now it's clear we are fucking loaded and sustain higher wage bills and high transfer fees with the higher revenues coming in. Exciting times ahead, it seems. Shame FFP is a fairytale myth but even so we should compete.

:good:

Really, this whole argument comes down to short-term glory vs long-term security. Would we have stayed in the top 4 over the last few years if we'd stayed at Highbury? I think absolutely yes we would have, and, what's more, I think we'd have won a lot more along the way too. Would we have been able to stay there and continue winning trophies going forward? I'm not so sure. I mean, anything's possible in football, but our main rivals would have had a huge advantage over us each year, and the job would become increasingly more difficult as the financial gap continued to widen, and the number of piranhas in the tank continued to grow. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but, as you say, you only need to look at clubs like sp**s and liverpool, who are desperate to do the same, to know that it was probably a necessary move. That's what I'm clinging to anyway - after all, why would a club like sp**s, who are so painfully close to cracking the top 4, be looking to put themselves through 5-10 years of restricted budgets, if they didn't feel they had to?

Letters
25-09-2013, 02:10 PM
We wouldn't have stayed top 4 for as long. The only sides to do that consistently have had loads to spend either because they're bankrolled or have massive stadiums and fan-bases. I personally wouldn't want us reliant on a sugar-daddy. It's not much of a long-term strategy.

Letters
25-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Would we have stayed in the top 4 over the last few years if we'd stayed at Highbury? I think absolutely yes we would have, and, what's more, I think we'd have won a lot more along the way too
I'm not following the logic of that opinion? You think in a 'sport' where money and success are increasingly correlated we'd have done better with a lot less money?

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 02:15 PM
He's basically saying you're talking rubbish and that we needed the move.

If you read things properly I've never said we didn't need the move. I said it was part of the lies told by the board & Wenger. Long term the move is great with a fantastic asset on our books & double the capacity but basically we are a football club & as a football team we are worse than we were 8 years ago, we don't compete at the top table & we are not viewed by anyone as one of the worlds top teams.

GP
25-09-2013, 02:17 PM
It's pretty naive to think the team wouldn't suffer in the short term while the front-loaded commercials deals had time to run.

There were no lies told there.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not following the logic of that opinion? You think in a 'sport' where money and success are increasingly correlated we'd have done better with a lot less money?

United have spent far less than Chelsea & City & still won the league last year. If we hadn't been paying of Stadium debt how much money would we have had less?, can you follow that Logic?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 02:28 PM
If you read things properly I've never said we didn't need the move. I said it was part of the lies told by the board & Wenger. Long term the move is great with a fantastic asset on our books & double the capacity but basically we are a football club & as a football team we are worse than we were 8 years ago, we don't compete at the top table & we are not viewed by anyone as one of the worlds top teams.

But if we look back at those 8 years and see it was just a blip in history then quite frankly it's nothing.

For all the stick we've given Wenger it does seem more and more like he was right all along.

There was fuck all money to spend. Hence the recent quotes from board + himself.
He stuck by players like Ramsey and he's now reaping the rewards.
He turned youth players like adebayor, flamini etc into established household names. Maybe patience was the key.

I dunno but it's easy as fans to sit and think he done a shit job but we don't really know the truth. He should have spent in key areas over the years because he took underinvestment to the extreme, we all agree on that. And we all agree that tactically he was shocking, especially the defence, which was allowed to get away with murder week in week out. But now we're looking like we might improve. So as he was given such a rough ride during the past 8 years, maybe he's allowed to enjoy the new funds and be given the opportunity to take us back to the top :shrug:

If we go into february having done fuck all in the transfer window again then fine. But up until now, we're doing fucking amazing.

Letters
25-09-2013, 02:44 PM
United have spent far less than Chelsea & City & still won the league last year. If we hadn't been paying of Stadium debt how much money would we have had less?, can you follow that Logic?

As discussed, Utd had Fergie. Will they win it this year without him? I don't think so.
Fair point about the stadium debt I guess but the sooner we moved the sooner we could start paying that off. Longer term it was the only option. Spurs have done well over the last few years but they're looking to move now so they'll be paying off a stadium debt which will affect their spending just at the time we're starting to have serious money to spend.

The last 8 years have been painful at times, more painful than they should have been and I do blame Wenger for that, but the Özil signing showed he's not averse to spending big when he's got the money to so maybe he really couldn't have done much more previously.

:shrug:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 02:49 PM

The stadium move had to be done.

We are a massive club with a massive waiting list. Staying at Highbury would have been an archaic move, hindering us in the future, especially in the age of enhanced commercialisation. Being stuck in a 38k capacity stadium in the modern game? It's ludicrous. Look at Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs doing everything in their power to try and move to a bigger stadium, it's just crucial in the modern era.

I don't agree the extent to which the board + manager went to exhaust a youth model which was practically flawed, nor will I ever forgive them for the utter embarrassment I've had to face as an Arsenal fan over the past 8 years living in British society. But it's done now. The poor, shoddy players that represented this club are largely gone and we are looking like we might move forward.

Some of us on here have been his biggest critic, to the extent we've fuelled a civil war on this forum. But when you sit and think about how tough his job has been then you can't help but feel he's had to do it the hard way. Liverpool lost Alonso and have finished 7th/8th ever since, well Wenger had to deal with top players leaving every summer yet kept us in the top 4. Yes most of the wounds were self-inflicted but as I said earlier, if it was just an 8 year blip, then fuck it. Let's move on and enjoy the good times :shrug:

I am invisible
25-09-2013, 02:49 PM
No, I'm arguing exactly the same point that you are. The key part of that sentence you've highlighted is "over the last few years" - basically, I'm saying that, if we'd stayed at Highbury instead of moving stadium, then we would have had more available money to spend on the team in the immediate / short-term, and therefore probably would have won more over the last 8 years because of it. However, I'm also saying that it wouldn't have lasted, and that, ultimately, we needed the move to the bigger stadium, with it's increased revenues, if we want to see sustained success in the future...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 02:52 PM
No, I'm arguing exactly the same point that you are. The key part of that sentence you've highlighted is "over the last few years" - basically, I'm saying that, if we'd stayed at Highbury instead of moving stadium, then we would have had more available money to spend on the team in the immediate / short-term, and therefore probably would have won more over the last 8 years because of it. However, I'm also saying that it wouldn't have lasted, and that, ultimately, we needed the move to the bigger stadium, with it's increased revenues, if we want to see sustained success in the future...

Well what a pointless point to make then. I think we all know that.

Power n Glory
25-09-2013, 03:06 PM
We wouldn't have stayed top 4 for as long. The only sides to do that consistently have had loads to spend either because they're bankrolled or have massive stadiums and fan-bases. I personally wouldn't want us reliant on a sugar-daddy. It's not much of a long-term strategy.

You’d have to really question Wenger’s managerial skills if he couldn’t hold off Aston Villa, Everton and Spurs for top 4. It would have been scandalous for us to finish anywhere outside of the top 4 during that period.

Letters
25-09-2013, 03:15 PM
You’d have to really question Wenger’s managerial skills if he couldn’t hold off Aston Villa, Everton and Spurs for top 4. It would have been scandalous for us to finish anywhere outside of the top 4 during that period.
With the amount of money we have I'd say 4th is about par - Utd, Chelsea and City all have more money than us.
But with the amount of money clubs like Spurs and Liverpool have spent to try and unseat us in the top 4 I don't think staying above them has been as easy a task as you're making out.

I am invisible
25-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Well what a pointless point to make then. I think we all know that.

If we all know it, then why has everyone been we been arguing about it for the last 2 and a bit pages?

Shaqiri Is Boss
25-09-2013, 03:25 PM
If we all know it, then why has everyone been we been arguing about it for the last 2 and a bit pages?

Welcome to GW.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Tony Blair said we could. It was on BBC news this morning.

Power n Glory
25-09-2013, 03:48 PM
With the amount of money we have I'd say 4th is about par - Utd, Chelsea and City all have more money than us.
But with the amount of money clubs like Spurs and Liverpool have spent to try and unseat us in the top 4 I don't think staying above them has been as easy a task as you're making out.

The last couple of seasons haven’t been easy and we’ve spent money to stay in the race but I get the impression you’re thinking of the Prem in its current state as if it was like this after we left Highbury. In fact, it’s as if your forgetting we were Champions. Take City and their billions out of the equation because they weren’t around. Liverpool had a top 4 team around those times under Rafa but they were never a threat to us like Man City are now. Do you really think Spurs under Martin Jol should have been pushing Wenger to his limits? Or Everton and Villa in those years? No way should it have been a possibility for us to have dropped out of the top 4 and been a mid-table team. Be serious.

Dein-machine
25-09-2013, 03:57 PM
The last couple of seasons haven’t been easy and we’ve spent money to stay in the race but I get the impression you’re thinking of the Prem in its current state as if it was like this after we left Highbury. In fact, it’s as if your forgetting we were Champions. Take City and their billions out of the equation because they weren’t around. Liverpool had a top 4 team around those times under Rafa but they were never a threat to us like Man City are now. Do you really think Spurs under Martin Jol should have been pushing Wenger to his limits? Or Everton and Villa in those years? No way should it have been a possibility for us to have dropped out of the top 4 and been a mid-table team. Be serious.

Totally agree

I am invisible
25-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Back to the original theme of the thread, I'm happy enough to keep Wenger on for a bit longer - the man may have his flaws as a tactician, but if he can sell off his best players every summer, and start each season with a bunch of bargain-basement misfits and youth players, and still manage to finish 4th (behind 3 of the richest clubs on the planet), then I have no problem with seeing what he can do each year with a settled squad and serious money to strengthen it with (even if it turns out someone else is forcing him to do the spending). I also think that a lot of the little things we've been grumbling about for years have started to be quietly addressed, so I'm prepared to give him a bit of credit for that too - the coaching team has been refreshed, we seem to be giving a bit more thought to the defensive side of our game now, the attitude of the players looks better, contracts renewals are getting sorted out earlier, the dead wood is steadily being cleared, and big money is starting to be spent on top players. We've even started getting more British players in the squad (for anyone who ever gave much of a toss about that to begin with)! All positive little signs that things are maybe starting to change for the better.

That being said, I'm nowhere near as worried about losing him as I have been over the last 8 years, when everything's been so tight. As a club, we're now in a pretty good position - the academy takes care of itself, we have a new team of executives and suits to take care of the business side of things (although they could still do with another couple of windows to practice transfer negotiations!), and there's large sums of sustainable money coming in each year - so whoever eventually takes over from him really shouldn't have anything to worry about other than training the first team. That really does open up the pool of candidates we can at, and the new revenues give us a bit of a safety net if we make the wrong appointment (we should be able to survive without CL football for a bit if the worst happens now)...

Power n Glory
25-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Totally agree

The originally move from Highbury to the Emirates was for the purpose of competing with clubs like Man Utd and Real Madrid. Not staying in the Top 4. Gazidis has come back out to realign that vision when speaking about Bayern and Dortmund. Some fans are getting it twisted.

I am invisible
25-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Welcome to GW.

(I'm loving it really - it's nice to have something Arsenal-related to talk about that's not transfer gossip!)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I think there tends to be less to discuss when things are going reasonably well, i can't imagine what the Bayern Munich forums were like last season

"So we are all agreed, we are pretty f**king awesome?"
"Ja!"

I tend to think if AW is awarded a new contract that this one should contain a clause to say that the offer of an extension will only be forthcoming in the event of winning a trophy.....i don't think he should be allowed to sign on to contract extension after contract extension without winning anything and i tend to think he'd be the first person to agree with that. I wonder if he will see what he is able to win this season before committing to a new contract and if he does win something (even the league or fa cup) than i'd be more than happy for him to stay.

As much as some of his interviews make him seem oblivious to fan opinion i think he knows exactly what the majority of fans think and feel, he is too smart not to....the Ozil signing as well as being a player he liked (what's not to like?) he knew it was something he had to do to keep us onside.
So for the moment at least he has bought himself time, and take away the Villa game which is looking more and more like a statistical anomaly (and i hope that doesn't come back to bite me) considering our injury woes our start to the season has been pretty good and i think he does deserve praise for that.
Starting tonight we have some pretty tricky fixtures leading up to the next lot of internationals and if we remain unbeaten to that point i think that can be seen as a definite plus.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Back to the original theme of the thread, I'm happy enough to keep Wenger on for a bit longer - the man may have his flaws as a tactician, but if he can sell off his best players every summer, and start each season with a bunch of bargain-basement misfits and youth players, and still manage to finish 4th (behind 3 of the richest clubs on the planet), then I have no problem with seeing what he can do each year with a settled squad and serious money to strengthen it with (even if it turns out someone else is forcing him to do the spending). I also think that a lot of the little things we've been grumbling about for years have started to be quietly addressed, so I'm prepared to give him a bit of credit for that too - the coaching team has been refreshed, we seem to be giving a bit more thought to the defensive side of our game now, the attitude of the players looks better, contracts renewals are getting sorted out earlier, the dead wood is steadily being cleared, and big money is starting to be spent on top players. We've even started getting more British players in the squad (for anyone who ever gave much of a toss about that to begin with)! All positive little signs that things are maybe starting to change for the better.

That being said, I'm nowhere near as worried about losing him as I have been over the last 8 years, when everything's been so tight. As a club, we're now in a pretty good position - the academy takes care of itself, we have a new team of executives and suits to take care of the business side of things (although they could still do with another couple of windows to practice transfer negotiations!), and there's large sums of sustainable money coming in each year - so whoever eventually takes over from him really shouldn't have anything to worry about other than training the first team. That really does open up the pool of candidates we can at, and the new revenues give us a bit of a safety net if we make the wrong appointment (we should be able to survive without CL football for a bit if the worst happens now)...

That's about the size of it for me too. I think Wenger would concur with the idea that we can see how he gets on for a little while at least before shoving a new contract in his grill.

Xhaka Can’t
25-09-2013, 06:36 PM

There is a 'correlation' between money and success - that differs from an absolute linkage between the two.

United got the balance right better than us, but that is hardly surprising given they had the best Manager in the history of the English game and weren't side tracked by the biggest capital infrastructure project ever taken on by a football club. Sure things could have - should have gone better with many of the decisions on the playing front - both in terms of tactics and purchases.

With hindsight however, I can't think of another top Manager who would have seen us through this move. But that is not to say he hasn't made some glaring mistakes - mistakes many here feel he should have been held accountable for. Lets be honest here - we were taken to the brink by this parsimonious strategy over the years. That is why our Suarez bid was laughed off. Now that we've signed Ozil - we have demonstrated our intent -no one will be laughing when (if) the next big bid is made. But we need to build on it fast. If we don't, then it is all for nothing other than having a world clas stadium hosting mediocre to good football.

We'll see soon what the true story is, and then it will be time to make an informed judgement. For the first time in many years, I'm hopeful that we have built a solid foundation that otherwise would have been impossible at Highbury.

I am invisible
26-09-2013, 08:36 AM
That's about the size of it for me too. I think Wenger would concur with the idea that we can see how he gets on for a little while at least before shoving a new contract in his grill.

In some ways, there's probably a lot less pressure on him now than there has been over the last 8 years, even though he has been more or less untouchable? Sure his neck's on the block now, and he could lose his job if he doesn't perform, but what does that really matter to a multi-millionaire who's close to retirement anyway (and would likely have his pick of any number of other jobs or commentary positions)? I think he'll be feeling that that weight of responsibility [of thinking that the club's future rides on your careful management] has been lifted from his shoulders now, and that all he has to do is play around with the first team, and "spend some f--king money". If it all goes wrong, then so what? One man loses his job, and the club roll on. No serious harm done. It must pale into insignificance compared to what he'd have been fearing could have gone wrong if he'd/we'd (tee hee hee - "he'd weed") f--ked up that period when the stadium build was still under way...

The Emirates Gallactico
27-09-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24295263

"The good thing with me is you don't need a lot of talks to extend the contract I have," he said.

Seems to me that he wants to stay. :unsure:

Edit - More from his press conference this morning reflecting on Kroenke's interview yesterday

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-honoured-by-kroenke-tribute

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-football-is-still-an-adventure

Some interesting bits I thought,

"Honestly, I would love to be here forever because that would mean I would be immortal! I'm not naive enough to believe that. What I would like to do as long as I am here is give my best for this club because I love this club of course."

"I don't know [when I will sign a new contract]. When we find time. I don't think that's the most important problem at the moment. It's straightforward and I don't think there's anything more to add to that."

Marc Overmars
27-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Happy 17th anniversary to Wenget.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01396/arsene-wenger_1396315c.jpg

LDG
27-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Arsene Wenger :bow:

Despite his infuriating tendancies....

There is only one Arsene Wenger.

:scarf: :scarf:

I would dearly love him to win us the league again. Fuck the cups and everything else. Win the fucking league. Go on. For us, for the players and for him.

:crying:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-09-2013, 11:27 AM
February 1st.

If he's signed a top class striker then he can happily sign on the dotted line.

Not now. We need to see if he's serious about winning trophies.

Özim
27-09-2013, 11:40 AM
What's changed since last month, we won a few games and we made one very good signing. Doesn't deserve a new contract based on that, let's see where we are at the end of the season when the prizes are handed out.

LDG
27-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Agreed. I think everybody thinks the same.

Doesn't mean I don't want him to win us something though :d

Özim
27-09-2013, 11:45 AM
I want him to win us everything :d

LDG
27-09-2013, 11:53 AM
It's ON!

Dein-machine
27-09-2013, 01:58 PM
The originally move from Highbury to the Emirates was for the purpose of competing with clubs like Man Utd and Real Madrid. Not staying in the Top 4. Gazidis has come back out to realign that vision when speaking about Bayern and Dortmund. Some fans are getting it twisted.

Put PnG on the board !!! - for these "Wengerites" out there read the above carefully. When he & the board promised that the move would mean we'd compete at top level, they forgot to tell us the bit about "not for ten years though!!!".

GP
27-09-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't think they did. It was quite obvious we'd have to tighten our belts in the short term.

Dein-machine
27-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't think they did. It was quite obvious we'd have to tighten our belts in the short term.

If we had to tighten our belts short term, then it would also be quite obvious that we couldn't compete short term - so they were lying. You can't have it both ways. If they said the move was to enable us to compete in a decade I would accept your view but they didn't.

The Emirates Gallactico
27-09-2013, 02:46 PM
It was more the arrival of Abramovich and the other sugar daddies that forced us to tighten our belts to the level we had to.

Even with the stadium move in progress it still would have been us and the Mancs mainly competing for the title. We would have been able to retain our better players, finish higher in the league possibly winning a few along the way (definitely challenging at least) and not had our prime transfer targets stolen by outrageous bids and contract offers from sugar rich clubs.

As an additional benefit, wages and transfer fees wouldn't have been inflated to the ridiculous levels they are today. It was more this than the stadium move IMO that fucked us over the most - we were the main casualties of it. Had it not been for it, we would have earned a lot more through more prize money and the knock on benefit of better commercial earnings and had to spend less on wages and transfers.

I am invisible
27-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Come on guys, it was pretty much all there in the public accounts every year. It's not like we even had to trawl through ourselves to find the truth of the matter! There were plenty of well-read, reliable Arsenal blogs out there who did all the donkey-work for us, and condensed it down to a few bullet points that you could browse over your morning cup of coffee (not to mention an army of former players, pundits, newspaper hacks and rival fans ramming it down our throats on an almost daily basis). Everyone knew.

And what's wrong with realigning our vision to be competing with Bayern Munich? Aren't they currently the best team in Europe, with arguably the best blueprint for how to run a top-level club? I can't think of too many better examples that we should be following...

LDG
27-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Come on guys, it was pretty much all there in the public accounts every year. It's not like we even had to trawl through ourselves to find the truth of the matter! There were plenty of well-read, reliable Arsenal blogs out there who did all the donkey-work for us, and condensed it down to a few bullet points that you could browse over your morning cup of coffee (not to mention an army of former players, pundits, newspaper hacks and rival fans ramming it down our throats on an almost daily basis). Everyone knew.

And what's wrong with realigning our vision to be competing with Bayern Munich? Aren't they currently the best team in Europe, with arguably the best blueprint for how to run a top-level club? I can't think of too many better examples that we should be following...

Priiiidddddy much!

Power n Glory
27-09-2013, 03:03 PM
The emergence of Chelsea and then City changed the level of competition in the Prem but we just adopted the wrong strategy to compete with them. Project youth and the wage structure held us back. I know there has been a lot of talk about us being financially limited but it’s not as if we’ve done anything this season that we couldn’t have done 2/3 seasons ago. We spent £40m on one player and the rest were free transfers. I wouldn’t have been impossible for us to spend £25m to £30m on one key player each season would it?

Dein-machine
27-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Nothing wrong with it but don't you think they were saying that in 2003 about us. In a year when we were "Invincible" & playing some of the best football in Europe they won absolutely nothing. Since then they have changed their managers, adapted to new modern style of play, new training techniques & spent regularly every year by bringing in world class players without paying ridiculous money. Now ten years on we are talking about copying them, doesn't that simply prove that we in relation to competing with the best have actually gone backwards. Simply because we have a manager who will not change his methods that may well have been effective in early 2000's but are now well out of date especially his transfer policies.
Get him out.

Globalgunner
27-09-2013, 06:08 PM
The only reason Wenger wants to stay is because he wishes to serve up more of the last 8 years. He gets paid like a champion while winning nothing. Blaming everything and everyone except himself. None of Kroenke's US teams have won anything since 2001. He is on a losing streak since rocking up here too. A non success oriented owner with a self indulgent manager. Perfect storm.
The longer we stick with Wenger the more we will miss out on great potential like the current Juve manager. ? Let him takes greatness elsewhere, if he dare

Dein-machine
28-09-2013, 07:01 PM
The only reason Wenger wants to stay is because he wishes to serve up more of the last 8 years. He gets paid like a champion while winning nothing. Blaming everything and everyone except himself. None of Kroenke's US teams have won anything since 2001. He is on a losing streak since rocking up here too. A non success oriented owner with a self indulgent manager. Perfect storm.
The longer we stick with Wenger the more we will miss out on great potential like the current Juve manager. ? Let him takes greatness elsewhere, if he dare

LDG
28-09-2013, 07:07 PM
smells

GP
28-09-2013, 07:13 PM
It's only smellz

milla
28-09-2013, 07:13 PM
smells

Shite

The Emirates Gallactico
28-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Wenger :bow::bow:

Always rated him. :coffee:

Dein-machine
28-09-2013, 07:39 PM
yeh he's wonderful - just been played & passed off the pitch by a team that were a game away from non-leage when Wumger was last winning anything. 10 years on whose gone forward us or them?

Zerlathon
28-09-2013, 07:53 PM
yeh he's wonderful - just been played & passed off the pitch by a team that were a game away from non-leage when Wumger was last winning anything. 10 years on whose gone forward us or them?

Were we watching the same game, as I seem to recall that we won and are now 2 points clear on the top of the League. Was always going to be a difficult game, but we come home with 3 points in the bag.

At the end of the day, the points you take from the game is what matters. How many times has Arsenal played fancy football, only to draw or lose? Personally, I like this new talent of grinding out results when needed (and we can still win with pretty football at times also).

It's pretty obvious that you are dead set on Wenger to go. However, who do you think would be available to take the reigns that would provide the same attraction for Players as Wenger (remember, Ozil chose Arsenal because of Arsene)?

LDG
28-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Classic wumming.

EDIT: Shit wumming.

Dein-machine
28-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Were we watching the same game, as I seem to recall that we won and are now 2 points clear on the top of the League. Was always going to be a difficult game, but we come home with 3 points in the bag.

At the end of the day, the points you take from the game is what matters. How many times has Arsenal played fancy football, only to draw or lose? Personally, I like this new talent of grinding out results when needed (and we can still win with pretty football at times also).

It's pretty obvious that you are dead set on Wenger to go. However, who do you think would be available to take the reigns that would provide the same attraction for Players as Wenger (remember, Ozil chose Arsenal because of Arsene)?

Please not the "top of the league" shit - Southampton are 4th Ffs.
With the good players we already had & a shit load of money in the transfer window do you honestly think someone like Laudrup couldn't have given us a similar start this year. The difference would be that for a supposed top european club we wouldn't be playing with such a wafer thin squad when it comes to quality.

Munchies
28-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Please not the "top of the league" shit - Southampton are 4th Ffs.
With the good players we already had & a shit load of money in the transfer window do you honestly think someone like Laudrup couldn't have given us a similar start this year. The difference would be that for a supposed top european club we wouldn't be playing with such a wafer thin squad when it comes to quality.

:ilt:

GP
28-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Cripps/10

Marc Overmars
28-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Cripps/10

You mentioned him by name. :faint:

Munchies
28-09-2013, 08:24 PM

This, my signature which had that reference got deleted quietly :haha:

GP
28-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Who?

Munchies
28-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Who?

Crisps

GP
28-09-2013, 08:35 PM
I like crisps.

Shaqiri Is Boss
28-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Crisps :lol:

Awful potato-based snack.

GP
28-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Pringles/10

Munchies
28-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Sour Cream and Onion Pringles :bow:

Özil's Panoramic View
28-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Cripps/10

Harsh, very harsh on Cripps.

Even he would be elated now we're top of the league.

Master Splinter
28-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Pringles :sick:.

The Ogg Monster
28-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Where are the Wenger out brigade right now? :lol:

Bit early but another month like this and we'l start to really look like champions in the making.

PL games cant come soon enough and all with so many players still to come back.

The idea of sacking wenger surely seems very silly and shortsighted.

torontogooner
29-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Bit early but another month like this and we'l start to really look like champions in the making.

I was one of the Gooners that was critical of Wenger. Many of us acted out of frustration and I feel that our criticism of Wenger acted as a catalyst for Arsene and the board to strengthen the team. The acquisition of Ozil could well have acted as a lightening rod for many of our players. We showed ambition by getting a world class player and writing a cheque for an unheard of + 40 million pounds. The players in turn started to perhaps believe even more in their respective abilities.

So, we are still here to push and cajole Wenger to strengthen even further so that we can heap scorn on the spuds, manure, chavski et al.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Early days still and I think it is late October into early November where we have a tricky run don't we? Still only 6 games gone in the league.

Dortmund
Palace
Chelsea
Liverpool
Dortmund
Man U
Southampton

That is a tricky run with the exception of Palace who don't seriously look like they can trouble us. Southampton have really impressed me though and have been good value for their good start so far. Things can change very quickly, which is not to say that I'm not positive (at this point in time), but we can still very much finish 5th and win nothing.

Syn
29-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Regardless of the opposition, the funny part is looking ahead at the fixtures and thinking "Ah, fuck, we're at home".

Harland
30-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Early days still and I think it is late October into early November where we have a tricky run don't we? Still only 6 games gone in the league.

Dortmund
Palace
Chelsea
Liverpool
Dortmund
Man U
Southampton

That is a tricky run with the exception of Palace who don't seriously look like they can trouble us. Southampton have really impressed me though and have been good value for their good start so far. Things can change very quickly, which is not to say that I'm not positive (at this point in time), but we can still very much finish 5th and win nothing.

Team needs to stand up and be counted during that run, if all our players haven't been burnt out at that point that is.

Bumble
30-09-2013, 06:45 AM
We have started very well but we have started well in seasons before. Only to perform badly in November recover then fall away again Feb/March until the title has gone when we win the last few games to make it close.

I think getting CL qualification sorted as soon as possible is key as we want to be able to focus on the league. Win next two home games and we are more or less there.

As has been said it is way to early to say a corner has been turned.

hobson's choice
30-09-2013, 07:02 AM
What I like about this team is that, so far they are quietly getting the needed results, even tho they are no where near the finished article. There's a lot more to come from this team, the main thing is getting players back from injuries, and keeping them healthy.

We won't really see the best out of Ozil, without Carzorla and Theo, I think those two, especially Carzorla will be so important to Ozil. Cause a player with the quality of Santi, will immediately be on the same wave length as Ozil.

This coming month and half will tell us, what this team is capable off. I was really nervous about Swansea, it was our first real test, and for most part I was happy with what I saw. Wenger is doing an understanding job so far.

GP
30-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Harsh, very harsh on Cripps.

lol nah

selassie
30-09-2013, 10:11 AM

No need for gloating just yet.

I will happily put my hand up and admit that I haven't been happy with Wenger and his player recruitment policy, but the signing of Ozil, and the improvement in the team has come as a welcome surprise.

In some ways, having all these injuries has also come as a blessing in disguise, because the likes of Cazorla & Theo should walk back into the team when fit, it will only makes us stronger.

Still early days, but the signs are very promising.

We STILL need to buy though, we are definitely short on numbers and quality in Attack and to a lesser extent Defence, but the foundations are there now and I can see progress.

Power n Glory
30-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Of course there is no need to gloat. You could just as easily turn around and say where are folks that wanted Stan/Gazidis/Board out?

Most people have been critical of the transfer policy for years and although it looks as though we’ve changed our approach, I still can’t understand why we couldn’t have done this 2/3 years? A class signing each year with a few bargain basement deals.

The Ogg Monster
30-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Gloating is the wrong word. I just dont understand people wanting Wenger out, at all.

He's a world class manager, and sacking him would be crazy.

Without Wenger we'd be below Spurs in the pecking order, probably we'd be an Everton type club, no chance of the PL and a tiny chance of the CL.

Anyway, the good thing is, he will never be sacked anyway, never, he will choose when he wants to go and hopefully its a long time away.

AW at least I love you!

Özil's Panoramic View
30-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Gloating is the wrong word. I just dont understand people wanting Wenger out, at all.

Without Wenger we'd be below Spurs in the pecking order, probably we'd be an Everton type club, no chance of the PL and a tiny chance of the CL.

Anyway, the good thing is, he will never be sacked anyway, never, he will choose when he wants to go and hopefully its a long time away.

AW at least I love you!

Bordering on the ridiculous there, eh? Especially since you have absolutely no way of substantiating such a strong assertion.

fakeyank
30-09-2013, 02:32 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about what we can achieve this season. We have been going on 10-12 games unbeaten run in the last few seasons as well but there was never that air of positivity around the club, that is there right now. Two things responsible for that- not losing any major players in the summer and the signing of Ozil. To push on from here, it is imperative that the following happens:
- Sign a back up striker or someone who can partner Giroud
- Sort out Sagna's extension.. that guy is a beast and deserves a new contract
- Give an extension to Kos and Per asap
- Pray that we can keep this good run going till December and add some firepower

GP
30-09-2013, 02:37 PM
It's worth pointing out this isn't just an unbeaten run, it's an extended run of wins.

Dein-machine
30-09-2013, 02:44 PM

AW at least I love you!

How on earth do you know that we'd be shit without Wumger. If someone like Laudrup or Guardiola had arrived at the Emirates a few years ago due to the fact that we've been shit for 8 years, how do you know we would be below Spurs now.
With sensible signings of quality for decent money that we COULD afford, we may well be competing with Chavski & the Mancs far better than we have done.
Stop thinking the past month has changed all our lives. We all going to get "Wengered" up the arse again when he spends fuck all in Jan.

Dein-machine
30-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about what we can achieve this season. We have been going on 10-12 games unbeaten run in the last few seasons as well but there was never that air of positivity around the club, that is there right now. Two things responsible for that- not losing any major players in the summer and the signing of Ozil. To push on from here, it is imperative that the following happens:
- Sign a back up striker or someone who can partner Giroud
- Sort out Sagna's extension.. that guy is a beast and deserves a new contract
- Give an extension to Kos and Per asap
- Pray that we can keep this good run going till December and add some firepower

We didn't lose any players in the transfer window because nobody wanted any of em! Apart from Jack & Santi, Wumger had ruined the rest. Good job Ramsey didn't play like this last year or else we would have sold him - probably to one of the Manc clubs.
Not sure about Sagna extension - he's average at best & is the 2nd worse crosser known to man - after Walcock.
Agree about Kos & Per
Don't agree with praying, Wumgers turned me atheist.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-09-2013, 03:02 PM
It's worth pointing out this isn't just an unbeaten run, it's an extended run of wins.

It is not quite an unbeaten one as Villa did us on our own turf but you are right to point out that generally the upturn in results have been rolling out since we beat Bayern Munich. The team showed a different kind of resolve from that result on and it is nice to see that the back end of last season was not a fleeting run of results attained due to the pressure of finishing 4th alone.

Ramsey has been the stand out player since that game too but Wenger has been a little fortunate with his goal return and he has even been quoted on not expecting him to score so many. Ramsey's goals are saving us from the dire truth of having a player who vowed never to play for us again as our back up centre forward. If he stops scoring then I suspect our poor forward options will cost us.

Clearly we can't win every game but Wenger does have a lot of work to do still and a lot of the questioning he has received has been reasonably justifiable and continues to be so. I desperately wanted him to change/alter his ways and he monumentally did that is signing a player for more money than I could ever imagine he would.

I'd have been delighted just to see him spend 20-25 million on genuine quality and then he went out and spent twice that. Like others I do get the arse about people who seem to suggest Arsenal would be nothing without Wenger. I'm not one of those into marginalising his affect on us but Arsenal were a great club who appointed a promising manager who then became a great manager. Not the other way round.

Marc Overmars
30-09-2013, 03:07 PM
18 wins from 21 I read somewhere. It's incredible form and that rate we'd surely win the title let alone challenge for it.

We'll undoubtedly hit a bad patch, it's just a case of whether that transpires into the usual winter of discontent or we can dust ourselves off and go again.

It would also be nice if we could chalk up some wins against the other challengers, as we haven't been too hot against them in recent memory.

Syn
30-09-2013, 03:26 PM
I think what's quite interesting is that we've been notoriously bad starters of games. Last season we often found ourselves a goal down early and then we had the best second half record out of everyone. In this '18 wins from 21' form, we usually don't look in the game in the first half.

But now that seems to be a tactic. It's like we accept we're going to be shit and so just work hard on defending by purposely staying on the back-foot in the first half and not trying anything risky. And then we trust our fitness levels to take the opposition on running power alone in the second half. Looking at the goals we're scoring recently, it's not like we're doing anything special from a technique POV. It's just athlete ball and the opposition getting physically tired.

In the bigger games - and by that I mean the CL - our inability to keep 65% possession might get us into trouble. But it's hard to see it being too much of a problem in the league.

Bumble
30-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Although this season Swansea was the first game we didnt score in the first 25 minutes so goes against what you are saying. And the only game we have lost was the only game we gone behind in and had to chase.

Ollie the Optimist
30-09-2013, 07:53 PM
saw a stat that said if you took the last 38 games played in the league, we would be second.

its a slightly skewed stat given that we will have played some teams twice and others not at all, ie swansea away twice in that run. however its showing very pleasing form, and a real desire to win. 18 wins in last 21 games. 9 wins in a row since villa loss. some have been games we expect to win (stoke, fenerbache, sunderland) but still you have to win. swansea and spurs were very tough games and a draw would have been acceptable but we won. if we keep this run going, the same desiere and passion shown so far, then one loss wont hurt us. just look at villa. long way to go yet but so far, so good

Ollie the Optimist
30-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Although this season Swansea was the first game we didnt score in the first 25 minutes so goes against what you are saying. And the only game we have lost was the only game we gone behind in and had to chase.

we havnt gone behind in a single game this season. we scored first against villa.

Bumble
30-09-2013, 08:19 PM
we havnt gone behind in a single game this season. we scored first against villa.to lose you have to go behind though.

Ollie the Optimist
30-09-2013, 08:22 PM
to lose you have to go behind though.

sorry misread your post, i thought it said that the villa game we were behind all game. of course to lose you have to be behind but you meant villa took the lead and we just scored a consolation

Bumble
30-09-2013, 08:32 PM
sorry misread your post, i thought it said that the villa game we were behind all game. of course to lose you have to be behind but you meant villa took the lead and we just scored a consolation
no just meant that villa are the only team who have lead against us at any point in the match. I think we are a bit naive when chasing the game.

Ollie the Optimist
30-09-2013, 08:35 PM
no just meant that villa are the only team who have lead against us at any point in the match. I think we are a bit naive when chasing the game.

not sure on that. havnt really been tested by being behind this season, but the more games that go by, the more that loss looks like it was heavily down to the referee in the villa game.

Japan Shaking All Over
30-09-2013, 08:35 PM
saw a stat that said if you took the last 38 games played in the league, we would be second.

its a slightly skewed stat given that we will have played some teams twice and others not at all, ie swansea away twice in that run. however its showing very pleasing form, and a real desire to win. 18 wins in last 21 games. 9 wins in a row since villa loss. some have been games we expect to win (stoke, fenerbache, sunderland) but still you have to win. swansea and spurs were very tough games and a draw would have been acceptable but we won. if we keep this run going, the same desiere and passion shown so far, then one loss wont hurt us. just look at villa. long way to go yet but so far, so good

:oldboy:

this. our run may not have been created from winning against the elite of the PL but thats no fault of ours......in fact in seasons past, it has been the lower teams, the teams we should have beaten that have been our undoing! a run such as this can only be great for the morale of the team.

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Of course there is no need to gloat. You could just as easily turn around and say where are folks that wanted Stan/Gazidis/Board out?

Most people have been critical of the transfer policy for years and although it looks as though we’ve changed our approach, I still can’t understand why we couldn’t have done this 2/3 years? A class signing each year with a few bargain basement deals.

To be fair, I wanted everybody out and for them to take Ramsey with them.

hobson's choice
30-09-2013, 10:56 PM
:oldboy:

this. our run may not have been created from winning against the elite of the PL but thats no fault of ours......in fact in seasons past, it has been the lower teams, the teams we should have beaten that have been our undoing! a run such as this can only be great for the morale of the team.

Honestly there really isn't any elite teams in the PL. Basically we take care of business against teams, we are better than. We will be in the shout for the title, which is what this team does very well(beating the lessers).

hobson's choice
30-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I do love how no one is giving us a chance at the League, the less attention we get, the better.

GP
01-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 3m
If Arsène Wenger lost each of his next 130 games in charge, he would still have the best win percentage of any Arsenal boss in history #AW17

selassie
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
18 wins from 21 I read somewhere. It's incredible form and that rate we'd surely win the title let alone challenge for it.

We'll undoubtedly hit a bad patch, it's just a case of whether that transpires into the usual winter of discontent or we can dust ourselves off and go again.

It would also be nice if we could chalk up some wins against the other challengers, as we haven't been too hot against them in recent memory.

Yep, our current form is outstanding. Moreover, this is the first time in a long time where I geniunely feel confident playing our rivals, I think we have the beating of all of them, though I do think we need our strongest XI to do so. I.E. Cazorla & Theo coming back at the very least.

The Ogg Monster
01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Bordering on the ridiculous there, eh? Especially since you have absolutely no way of substantiating such a strong assertion.

I Should have said the chances are would be below them, going on money availiable a lesser manager would likely have us behind spurs. With all the money the pl has now I just think we're v lucky to have got wenger when we did and kept him, and if we hadnt, and hadnt arrived at the emirates I think we'd be far back in the pl, nearer everton.

And in response to another poster (dein machine), if we had of got another manager 99/100 he'd not have been Guardiola quality.

Power n Glory
01-10-2013, 08:55 AM
It could be worse. We could have David f***ing Moyes! :lol:

Dein-machine
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 3m
If Arsène Wenger lost each of his next 130 games in charge, he would still have the best win percentage of any Arsenal boss in history #AW17

Wonderful , he'd also be the longest serving Arsenal manager that had one fuck all in a decade.

GP
01-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Wonderful , he'd also be the longest serving Arsenal manager that had one fuck all in a decade.

Dein-machine
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Cyber bully

GP
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM

selassie
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM

AW at least I love you!

Regardless of the word, we haven't achieved anything yet and we could just as easily finish 5th as we could win the Title so I really don't think now is the time to start the "I told you so" type conversation.

The rest of your post is based on your own personal assumptions and carries no weight whatsoever, not a single fact or shread of evidence to suggest we would have struggled without him over the past decade.

Özim
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Atfer 8 years of not winning a thing, it's taken 1 expensive signing and a good start to the season for some to come out and claim he's untouchable and should never been sacked.

There's a long way to go in the season and things can change a lot, an injury or two in the wrong positions and we'll find it much harder, the squad isn't strong enough IMO and it should be as we had enough time to recruit in the summer.

He needs to deliver this season and he needs to strenghten in January to have any chance IMO, otherwise we should wave goodbye to him next summer, my opinion hasn't changed on that.

Replacing him will be hard, simply because he's been here so long and everything is built around him (a bit like it was at Man U), but we have to do it at some point and if he's not delivering success it's as good at time as any.

Dein-machine
01-10-2013, 03:25 PM
We have to look at why he hasn't delivered the success after the early glory years. Do any of us really know if he had a decent transfer budget every year in spite of stadium repayments. If so we can blame him & not the board for the lack of quality signings to allow us to compete. If someone came out & said it was imperative that AW could only spend whatever he sold due to stadium debt then we can all agree that he's done a wonderful job to keep us in the top 4 & have continued C.L football. I would be happy to give him time to see what could be achieved if he was willing to buy world class players & agree that he's changed his ways but the single signing of Ozil isn't enough to suggest that has happened yet.
I simply believe that he is a man of principal & stuck in his philosophy of turning good young prospects into great players rather than buying the finished article. His problem is that when you don't have successful teams these great players fuck off. On top of that we have had silly money spent at Chavski & Man Shity to fast track their success & left us stuck with a philosophy that simply cannot work in the new mega bucks era for football.
The Jan window will be key for AW, he can change a lot of the negativity if he acts quickly to bring in at least one quality defender & striker. It will continue the feel good factor in the squad that we are becoming the team everyone is talking about & it will mean all players will be having to produce on a weekly basis to keep their place. If however he thinks the signing of Ozil is enough money spent & we have quality throughout the rest of the team to compete then he needs to go as quickly as possible.

GP
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Arse and Nose.

Shaqiri Is Boss
01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
And eyes and ears and mouth and nose.

Munchies
01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVhmqftIMAAw0ZG.jpg

-Xs-
02-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Looks really angry in that second to last picture.

footloose, the wanderer
02-10-2013, 06:28 AM
I'd always viewed DM as AWs replacement down the road. I think DMs problems as inherited in the squad left by AF and feel his problems stem from not getting 3 BIG signings in the summer.

It could be worse. We could have David f***ing Moyes! :lol:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-10-2013, 07:30 AM
I'd always viewed DM as AWs replacement down the road. I think DMs problems as inherited in the squad left by AF and feel his problems stem from not getting 3 BIG signings in the summer.

It's fair to say i viewed a lot of people (especially recently as AW isn't getting any younger) as potential replacements for him....but Moyes was not one of them.

Whilst Wenger has us playing the kind of football and producing the kind of performances that we did last night, i am more than happy with him at the club. The trick for him now is to convert that into something tangible (i.e silverware).

Power n Glory
02-10-2013, 08:15 AM

The lack of signings in the summer and Rooney situation disrupted the summer. But Moyes isn't the right man for us. His philosophy on football is totally different to what we do here. He was left the Champion. Hard to say he inherited a bad team. Imagine where we'd be if he'd take over Arsenal in that case.

Özim
03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Speculation about a new 8 million a year contract for him, don't agree with this at all if there's any truth in this:

Gunners bid to keep Arsene at Emirates with new £24m deal

Arsenal are preparing formal discussions with Arsene Wenger over a new three-year contract worth £8million-per-season.

The new contract - that would see the Frenchman net a £500,000-per-year increase - would take Wenger beyond 20 years at the north London club.

It is understood money to pay for the proposed new deal has already been earmarked from the club's budget.

As revealed by Sportsmail during the summer, informal discussions over fresh terms have already taken place between Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

But with the club currently riding on a crest of wave, there is now an urgency to get Wenger round the table for crunch talks - which could happen during the forthcoming international break.

Club officials are confident Wenger will extend his stay beyond the end of this season, when his contract expires.

The signing of Mesut Ozil has breathed fresh life into the manager, something that has not gone unnoticed by his backroom team at the club's London Colney HQ.

But while there remains a confidence the 63-year-old wants to lead a new Arsenal era, the manager's public insistence that he wants to wait until later in the season before deciding his future remains a worry.

Cash-rich Paris St Germain want Wenger to finish his career in the French capital and are continuing to monitor his contract situation.

But Arsenal hope the prospect of a lucrative new deal and the chance to add more bona-fide world class talent to his squad in the future will be enough to convince Wenger to stay.

Indeed, despite the club record £42million outlay on Ozil, the Arsenal hierarchy will make more money available to Wenger again in January, primarily to sign a new centre-forward.

Olivier Giroud remains the club's only regular centre-forward, something Wenger will rectify in the winter transfer window.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2442069/Arsene-Wenger-set-offered-new-year-deal-Arsenal.html

Xhaka Can’t
03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
There is not a single quote in that article. Not even from an unnamed source.

Özim
03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah that's true "but it is understood"

JonasTC
03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I really hope its true, i want us to stick with Wenger as long as possible. You can see the impact it has on ManUtd, changing a long-sitting manager and the impact it have had on all the other teams that keeps changing managers.

Xhaka Can’t
03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Yeah that's true "but it is understood"

I agree with you though. I want to see what happens in January before a contract is agreed.

Özim
03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes it does have an impact, but we have to change as some point so it will have an impact regardless, the longer it is the worse is it.

Ferguson was something else and Moyes should have made a few signings to make the team his own, as it is it's Ferguson's players and he's not getting the best out of them yet.

Letters
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
We should have sacked him a couple of years ago. We didn't though and right now it would be a stupid time to change manager.
It is early in the season though and I agree he needs to do more to earn a new contract.

GP
03-10-2013, 12:18 PM
We should have sacked him a couple of years ago.

Seemed like that at the time, but if this form continues, maybe not.

Syn
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
He's not going to do anything in January. We've got we've got. Wenger doesn't think it's enough, but the players seem to. The key is going to be how many injuries we get - everything else is in place.

I still feel Wenger's best influence is bringing in the right players and developing young players. Cry about the few dud signings as much as you want, comparatively he remains an absolute genius in the transfer market, second to no-one (although Klopp looks promising). When it comes to being ruthless enough to his own players, Wenger falls way short. The attitude in the squad seems great atm, but the minute they start believing in the hype, Wenger is useless and we need someone else to get the best out of this very talented group of 23-24 avg. year olds.

Chuck Felsea
03-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Other rumors have PSG wanting Wenger to replace Leonardo...

Zerlathon
03-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I really hope its true, i want us to stick with Wenger as long as possible. You can see the impact it has on ManUtd, changing a long-sitting manager and the impact it have had on all the other teams that keeps changing managers.

I would like us to stick with Wenger for as long as possible, as long as he actually shows some ambition. I think we can all agree (well I hope so anyway) that an enthused Wenger is a sight to behold, and quite frankly he has looked tired of it all for the past 6 or so years.

However this Season is different, he seems to have rekindled his drive from times of old. Hopefully, this will drive (I was going to use the word "spur", but then I was sick in my mouth) him to achieve great things once again.

He's not going to do anything in January. We've got we've got. Wenger doesn't think it's enough, but the players seem to. The key is going to be how many injuries we get - everything else is in place.

I still feel Wenger's best influence is bringing in the right players and developing young players. Cry about the few dud signings as much as you want, comparatively he remains an absolute genius in the transfer market, second to no-one (although Klopp looks promising). When it comes to being ruthless enough to his own players, Wenger falls way short. The attitude in the squad seems great atm, but the minute they start believing in the hype, Wenger is useless and we need someone else to get the best out of this very talented group of 23-24 avg. year olds.

I think Klopp would be the only Manager that would be suitable as a replacement. He has shown on the highest level that he has what it takes...

I know Wenger was fairly unknown when we got him, but we were a mid table Club back then.

Bumble
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
We finished 5th the season before he arrived, I wouldnt say that is midtable. And the catalyst for the success was already there in DB10.

Ollie the Optimist
03-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Speculation about a new 8 million a year contract for him, don't agree with this at all if there's any truth in this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2442069/Arsene-Wenger-set-offered-new-year-deal-Arsenal.html

Zimm- while i agree that contract shouldnt be offered just yet, if we win a trophy or two this season, would you like him to stay on for another year/2 years? i know what you feel about the past, but if this team wins this year, it really could go on and dominate for the next 2/3 years

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Klopp is fantastic but if he ever took over here I hope he doesn't think selling your best player to your biggest footballing rivals is acceptable just because it is going to happen under his watch at Dortmund and because Wenger did it too.

It can never happen again.

Penguin
04-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Klopp is fantastic but if he ever took over here I hope he doesn't think selling your best player to your biggest footballing rivals is acceptable just because it is going to happen under his watch at Dortmund and because Wenger did it too.It can never happen again.It's not out of choice (re; selling lewandowski). Klopp even forced him to stay into the last year of his contract instead of selling him for more cash in the summer.

LDG
04-10-2013, 10:45 PM
It's not out of choice (re; selling lewandowski). Klopp even forced him to stay into the last year of his contract instead of selling him for more cash in the summer.

Probably why dortmund will be a flash in the pan, rather than a team that can qualify for the ECL 16 years on the trot.

:shrug:

bunsco
04-10-2013, 11:59 PM
I think Klopp would be the only Manager that would be suitable as a replacement. He has shown on the highest level that he has what it takes...

I know Wenger was fairly unknown when we got him, but we were a mid table Club back then.

In absolute,total agreement.

Klopp is Taylor made for this club - he's Wenger, but with the ruthlessness.

fakeyank
05-10-2013, 02:44 AM

In absolute,total agreement.

Klopp is Taylor made for this club - he's Wenger, but with the ruthlessness.

Disagree that Wenger is not ruthless.. when time came to pull the plug, AW pulled the carpet beneath the floors of some players quicker than you can blink an eyelid- Vieira, Lauren, Gilberto, Eduardo etc
Where I think AW seems less ruthless is because of Rosicky, Diaby, Ramsey. These players and some more are here more because of Arsene's stubborness rather than him being less ruthless!

bunsco
05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Disagree that Wenger is not ruthless.. when time came to pull the plug, AW pulled the carpet beneath the floors of some players quicker than you can blink an eyelid- Vieira, Lauren, Gilberto, Eduardo etc
Where I think AW seems less ruthless is because of Rosicky, Diaby, Ramsey. These players and some more are here more because of Arsene's stubborness rather than him being less ruthless!

Point taken, though in the case of selling viera etc - that was more of a combination of clearing out the old guard as part of plan for the future based around youth, so was more of a case of maximising business potential than getting rid of players who are of no use to the team anymore . I don't see the point in listing rosicky and Ramsey, but I do see where your coming from with countless other dead woods in recent times.
But Wenger is FAR more stubborn with under performing players than the other top managers in the league which has had a damaging effect on our in terms of success and prestige - even considering our financial juggling acts.

Ollie the Optimist
05-10-2013, 12:24 PM

and thats why he is the manager not you. two of the names you said there have come good. Rosicky was awesome in our runs for fourth over last two seasons, and ramsey is just fucking awesome right now. glad AW wasnt ruthless with those two.