PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs West Bromwich Albion (COC tie).

McNamara That Ghost...
25-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Us. :bow:

GP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWK5Tzss8Q

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
PHEW !

GP
What a shambles that was.

Never in doubt, mind.

milla
25-09-2013, 09:45 PM
King Bendtner :bow:

Arsenal reserve :bow:

Merts :bow:

Wumger :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
25-09-2013, 09:46 PM
that was a very young team, who showed a huge amount of bollocks in that shootout. top stuff.

bendtner can fuck off

McNamara That Ghost...
WUMger went overkill with the amount of young players this time but he still pulls it out of the bag somehow.

Marc Overmars
I was only following the match thread so I don't have much of a reaction other than: :dance:

Bring on Chelsea.

JonasTC
25-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Chuba Chuba is an exciting talent... 17 years old. Should be ahead of bendtner and sanogo as Girouds backup.

I think Jenkinson was a little bit awesome aswell.

Penguin
25-09-2013, 09:47 PM
So... do we play a strong team against Chelsea or stick to the youths?

milla
25-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Stick to similar team :good:

Marc Overmars

Strong team.

Ollie the Optimist

stronger team then tonight, but put players like ozil on the bench etc. maybe start ramsey or jack, possibly giroud but have players like akpom, gnarby playing around them

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 09:51 PM
WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWWWW

milla
25-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Chuba Chuba is an exciting talent... 17 years old. Should be ahead of bendtner and sanogo as Girouds backup.

I think Jenkinson was a little bit awesome aswell.

Akpom is a bit like Lukaku, awesome power house. :coffee:

Master Splinter
25-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Arsenal :bow:.

Dennis Bendtner actually played pretty well. He linked up with the competition winners playing around him as best he could. Strangely, he seemed quicker than he was before.

BFG and GHELkinson both played really well.

Awlful match, but the grit, spirit and determination shown by the under-8s was commendable, especially the pelanty takers.

Keeps the winning run going too. :scarf:

Gooner23
25-09-2013, 09:55 PM
To be fair to wumger with the amount of injuries, particularly in midfield, at the moment he had little choice but to play the kids. Can't afford to risk injury to Rambo, Jack and Giroud right now.

Only listened to extra time on radio, sounds like Chuba made an impact. Also Phil Brown was absolutely bumming Wenger and the Arsenal Yoof. I thought he was one of the managers we aren't supposed to like?

Master Splinter
25-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Strong team.

If any of them are fit, of course.

Marc Overmars
25-09-2013, 09:58 PM
If any of them are fit, of course.

True.

Might as well just pander to the Asian market and play Ryo, Park and Bendtner.

milla
25-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Phil Brown,

The young boys, young lads showed great bottle. A fabulous night for the young lads, great stuff from young lads. They're young lads.

:lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
25-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Dawson's pelanty was absolutely dreadful. At least Gnabbers got his on target.

GP
25-09-2013, 10:03 PM
WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWWWW

AYYY MACARENA!

Marc Overmars
25-09-2013, 10:06 PM
AYYY MACARENA!

That made me laugh. :lol:

Syn
25-09-2013, 10:34 PM
All the twitter heroes (Ramsey, Wilshere, Giroud etc.) out in full force.

But none more cringeworthy than this lovable sack of shit:

Very emotional return, but what better way than with a win! Fans was absolutely incredible throughout the game and help us in difficult periods. For myself I was very moved by my reception and hearing my song again made my heart skip! Young players did ever so well and kept there cool in a difficult penalty shootout. Respect! Skipper looking fresh!

Must see picture here:
http://instagram.com/p/esyo7ig_sO/

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Looks like a cross between harry potter and a tribal chinaman.

Syn
25-09-2013, 10:41 PM
and a lesbian.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-09-2013, 10:44 PM
http://allday.ru/uploads/posts/2009-05/thumbs/1241278121_01.jpg

Özim
25-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Really can't believe we got through with the pub team we put out (I thought we were out), West Brom must have been truly awful to lose to a bunch of kids with a few squaddies

On to the next round.

Özim
25-09-2013, 11:00 PM

If we play a team like this we'll get hammered, Chelsea's squad is pretty strong.

We need a stronger team, sadly our squad is weak (outside our 1st team) and doesn't really allow for that, so we'll play kids.

JonasTC
25-09-2013, 11:45 PM
If we play a team like this we'll get hammered, Chelsea's squad is pretty strong.

We need a stronger team, sadly our squad is weak (outside our 1st team) and doesn't really allow for that, so we'll play kids.

I dont think our backups are that bad... If we didnt have all the injuries our back-up would look something like this:

Fabianski
Jenkinson Mert/Kos Verm Nacho
Arteta Wilshere
Ox Rosicky Podolski
Whoever is fresh to play up top

Besides them, we also have a bunch of youngsters who can do a decent job and the myth Diaby.

I actually think its one of the best back up teams in the league

Bumble
26-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I know people are going on about the ridiculous young team we had but it still cost over 40m and had 7 internationals in it. So the team cost more than West brom, earns more than west brom. Had more internationals than West brom. So perhaps winning isn't so unexpected. But that team won't score against Chelsea and I think the standard of the team we put out depends on how are CL progress goes.

Seaman's Ponytail
26-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Game v Chelsea is also on the week before a home game in league v Liverpool so play the kids i say!

Grebbo
26-09-2013, 03:58 AM
How come Zalalem didn't play?? Injured?

Transplanted Gooner
26-09-2013, 04:48 AM
How come Zalalem didn't play?? Injured?
He tweeted back on the 10th that he was out for 6-8 weeks

AFC Leveller
26-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Good win, showed good nerves to win the shootout and i think some of them have earned the right to at least feature against Chelsea.

We obviously need to call on a few of the first teamsers but keep 2 or 3 from last night. Chelsea will play a strong team whatever happens as they have practically two excellent players in every position. Being at home though id love us to go toe to toe with them and reall go for it. This could be the year we finanly win a trophy and put an end to the "not won a trophy in 8 years" crap.

Up the Arsenal!

I am invisible
26-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Must see picture here:
http://instagram.com/p/esyo7ig_sO/
Those glasses explain a lot!

Also, is it just me, or has Bendtner shrunk while he's been away? I thought he was meant to be 6'3?

Gooner23
26-09-2013, 07:55 AM
To be fair for all this weak squad stuff that the pundits are all spouting, you cant really legislate for the number of injuries we have in midfield at the moment.

Anyone would struggle with Rosicky, Theo, Ox, Podolski, Santi, Diaby (lol) all out, and Tets, Verm just coming back. The only area I think we are desparately weak is up front, but thats been done to death.

Just annoys me when pundits get paid to repeat what they've heard elsewhere and not actually think!

For Chelsea I would go strong as at home we have a real chance of progressing. Same back five as last night, with hopefully the like of Ox, Rosicky and Podolski returning. Maybe a few of the youngsters on the bench.

I am invisible
26-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Game v Chelsea is also on the week before a home game in league v Liverpool so play the kids i say!

We've got some British players now, so surely it's OK for us to just kick them off the park? Man's game, and so forth...

I am invisible
26-09-2013, 08:09 AM
To be fair for all this weak squad stuff that the pundits are all spouting, you cant really legislate for the number of injuries we have in midfield at the moment.

Anyone would struggle with Rosicky, Theo, Ox, Podolski, Santi, Diaby (lol) all out, and Tets, Verm just coming back. The only area I think we are desparately weak is up front, but thats been done to death.

Just annoys me when pundits get paid to repeat what they've heard elsewhere and not actually think!

For Chelsea I would go strong as at home we have a real chance of progressing. Same back five as last night, with hopefully the like of Ox, Rosicky and Podolski returning. Maybe a few of the youngsters on the bench.

With everyone fit, we're only really short in 2 areas - centre forward and either a RB or a CB (depending on where Sagna plays). Beyond that, I think we're looking at luxury-buys and upgrades for anyone we can improve on, but not necessarily essentials...

I am invisible
26-09-2013, 09:11 AM
So how did Bendtner do anyway - are we boned if Giroud gets injured, or did he look useful?

GP
26-09-2013, 09:49 AM
He looked like a guy who hasn't played for 2 years.

I am invisible
26-09-2013, 09:57 AM
But he looks like he'll only take a couple of games to get up to a world-class level? Right? :unsure:

GP
26-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Sure, why not?

LDG
26-09-2013, 10:41 AM
To the tune of Sexbomb - Tom Jones:

Akpom, Akpom, Chuba Akpom
Scores goals like Terry Henry and goes to Nandos with Frimpong

Syn
26-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Japan Shaking All Over
26-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Can understand the call to bring in the big guns for the game against Chavs as this cup is always considered our best (only) chance of silverware but last night's team deserve their moment and I say play them with the possible inclusion of any injury returnees that need a run out.

AFC Leveller
26-09-2013, 11:49 AM
They do deserve their chance i agree but you put them up against Mourinho's Chelsea and you're asking for trouble tbh. I think the manager will want to be realistic and field a storng 11 with a couple of youngsters out there to make sure we dont leave ourselves open to a spanking.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Didn't even realise we won till this morning. Left at the shootout.... but field a team deemed good enough to beat the chavs. This year we should be gunning for blood!

Dennis Bendtner
26-09-2013, 12:44 PM
They do deserve their chance i agree but you put them up against Mourinho's Chelsea and you're asking for trouble tbh. I think the manager will want to be realistic and field a storng 11 with a couple of youngsters out there to make sure we dont leave ourselves open to a spanking.

Having Feo, Rosicky and Cazorla back in the squad will help. Last night was a standard Cup back five but very limited for options beyond that. All going well we'd be able to use whichever two or three extra first teamers that aren't playing much against Chelsea. Then there's less need to start guys like Ryo and Hayden. Still a month for that plan to go wrong though.

Power n Glory
26-09-2013, 01:06 PM
The squad isn't big enough to go for all four trophies. This is the only season where I say we play the kids. As crazy as this may sound, we may have a shot at the title this year. We need to focus on the league and Champions League.

Marc Overmars
26-09-2013, 01:16 PM
There's pride at stake as well as progression to the next round, it is Chelsea after all and losing to them is never good. We'll rotate for sure but I'd like to think the squad will be much stronger than last night.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-09-2013, 01:28 PM
We can't throw the competition just because we are stretched in the more illustrious ones. If we actually treat it seriously this year, with the improvement of certain players and the additions we've made we can seriously win this. I don't like to admit it but we aren't going to win the prem or the CL..... More likely that we will win the latter imo and even then that is a very slim chance.

Further additions can be made for the second half of the season push. Get Adebayor if we bloody have to. Even that idiot would have prevented penalties last night, probably on his own. He has got to be better than Bendtner, Akpom and Park who the manager would play over his dead body.

We have the home advantage against the chavs and should make the most of it. It may only be a slight advantage but an advantage it is nonetheless. I realise our away form is good but you'd still rather be playing at home in a one off cup game and who knows what our actual form will be going into that game.

As already mentioned, to have the likes of Rosicky and Flamini (who incidentally know each others game very well) will bode well for fielding a first team punctuated with a few rotations. Vermaelen (who I don't believe will win his place back in the first team) Jenkinson, Rosicky, Monreal...... too bad we can't throw Chamberlain in as he is the sort of player you'd want in a game like that too.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-09-2013, 01:45 PM
No way should we throw this cup comp away. Realistically we won't win the league this year despite our glowing start.

We aren't winning the champions league.

COC and FA cup are our best hope.

Fist of Lehmann
26-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Can understand the call to bring in the big guns for the game against Chavs as this cup is always considered our best (only) chance of silverware but last night's team deserve their moment and I say play them with the possible inclusion of any injury returnees that need a run out.

Physioroom has all of our injuries back by the Chelsea game, barring AOC who is out till Nov and Diabanogo who are, of course, listed as having "no return date".

Penguin
26-09-2013, 07:05 PM
No way should we throw this cup comp away. Realistically we won't win the league this year despite our glowing start.

We aren't winning the champions league.

COC and FA cup are our best hope.
I agree with those points but we have a thread-bare squad with virtually the same XI playing in 3 other competitions. If we use them in the COC too we're just going to run them into the ground, or worse giving them a big risk of picking up injuries.

We can't even afford to rotate in the league/CL since there's such a big gap in quality in our reserves.

Physioroom has all of our injuries back by the Chelsea game, barring AOC who is out till Nov and Diabanogo who are, of course, listed as having "no return date".

Physioroom is rarely right on return dates (for Arsenal ones at least, I don't bother checking anyone else's). If it's based on our estimates it's definitely wrong :lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-09-2013, 07:44 PM
We can rotate sufficiently in most areas providing we don't have something of the crisis we seem to be heading towards.... (doh)!

The problem is we just don't have anything like suitable quality at centre forward and ideally in that game against Chelsea you'd want a top forward. which is why I would probably just play Giroud in that game regardless. Unless of course he has literally played 2 days before.

Master Splinter
26-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Dortmund (H) - CL- Tuesday 22nd October
Crystal Palace (A) -PL - Saturday 26th October
Chelsea (H) - COC - 29/30 October
Liverpool (H) - PL - Saturday 2nd November
Dortmund (A) - CL - Wednesday 6th November
Manchester United (A) - PL - Sunday 10th November

That's a testing fixture list even without half your squad depleted. Feo, Cazorla and Rosicky should all be available for these games and maybe Podolski and Sanogo too. But it's inevitable that another handful will join Oxlade and Diaby in the hospital by then.

In December, we have:

Everton (H) - PL - Saturday 7th
Napoli (A) - CL - Wednesday 11th
Man City (A) - PL - Sat 14th
Possible COC Quarter Final - 17th/18th
Chelsea (H) - PL - Saturday 21st

Even with only 3 official CBs, our defensive options are looking solid. The striking situation could become really desperate going into all these games though. If we weren't relying on rookies and fat samurais, I'd be confident of the team's chances. Hopefully Chuba's time has come.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I agree with those points but we have a thread-bare squad with virtually the same XI playing in 3 other competitions. If we use them in the COC too we're just going to run them into the ground, or worse giving them a big risk of picking up injuries.

We can't even afford to rotate in the league/CL since there's such a big gap in quality in our reserves.

Don't care.

We are 8 years without a trophy.

Chuck the COC and FA cup and it will be 9.

Our squad is not good enough to win the league or CL even with Ozil. Being realistic, unless we spend on 1-2 top top players in Jan we will not win the league. CL is out of the question whatever happens.

So we cannot chuck the COC and FA cup away.

Power n Glory
26-09-2013, 10:44 PM
The kids will have to play the cup games. The squad just isn't big enough to go for all 4.

Penguin
27-09-2013, 06:42 AM
There's no guarantee we'll beat Chelsea even if we use our first team. Their players will be much fresher because they have a squad big enough to rotate. Even a player of the quality of Mata is struggling to get games. The other option for us is to rotate a bit in the league, but with only the likes of Ryo, Gnabry and Bendtner to call on it doesn't look too good.

It doesn't make sense to sacrifice the league or CL while we're still in it. What kind of message does that send?

Nayan
27-09-2013, 07:55 AM
The kids will have to play the cup games. The squad just isn't big enough to go for all 4.

spot on. Fuck the league cup

Marc Overmars
27-09-2013, 08:41 AM
It's only an extra 3 games before Christmas, games that are separated by a month each and the semi final takes place when there's no CL to worry about.

The FA Cup is probably more of a strain on the squad because the games are more frequent and happen during the business end of the season. Even worse if you get replays.

Seeing as there's hardly much difference in prestige these days, go for the League Cup tbh.

LDG
27-09-2013, 08:44 AM
It's only an extra 3 games before Christmas, games that are separated by a month each and the semi final takes place when there's no CL to worry about.

The FA Cup is probably more of a strain on the squad because the games are more frequent and happen during the business end of the season. Even worse if you get replays.

Seeing as there's hardly much difference in prestige these days, go for the League Cup tbh.

I was thinking that.

I know it sounds absurd, but dropping the FA Cup would seem more logical....

February onwards is the time we should be pushing on in the league.....if we're still up there of course. The FA Cup is more of a drain on resources at that point, especially with a light squad.

Go little bit hard on the COC, and fuck off the FA Cup.

Or....win the quadruple....which, let's face it....IS ON!!!

milla
27-09-2013, 09:46 AM
win the quadruple....which, let's face it....IS ON!!!

The only way forward tbh. :coffee:

I am invisible
27-09-2013, 10:39 AM

I was thinking that.

I know it sounds absurd, but dropping the FA Cup would seem more logical....

February onwards is the time we should be pushing on in the league.....if we're still up there of course. The FA Cup is more of a drain on resources at that point, especially with a light squad.

Go little bit hard on the COC, and fuck off the FA Cup.

Or....win the quadruple....which, let's face it....IS ON!!!
Looks like a few of us were thinking the same thing :good: If you're going to rest / rotate players in one or the other then it probably make more sense to do it in the FA Cup - the big teams will probably going for that one a little harder, whereas we might be able to sneak in and grab the Cocup one a little easier? Gives everyone a little boost as the run-in starts, gets that no-trophy-monkey off our backs, and eases the fixture list a little at the business end of the season, when everyone's running on fumes...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-09-2013, 11:03 AM
There's no guarantee we'll beat Chelsea even if we use our first team. Their players will be much fresher because they have a squad big enough to rotate. Even a player of the quality of Mata is struggling to get games. The other option for us is to rotate a bit in the league, but with only the likes of Ryo, Gnabry and Bendtner to call on it doesn't look too good.

It doesn't make sense to sacrifice the league or CL while we're still in it. What kind of message does that send?

Firstly we're at home, it's a big advantage. If we were away it would be understandable to throw the game.

Secondly Chelsea aren't actually playing that well. They can be easily beaten.

Thirdly we are 8 years without a trophy. Challenge on all 4 fronts and stop pissing around. The two cups are our best chances. Otherwise we'll get to May and we'll have surrendered the league again and lost in the quarters of the CL again.

Fourth it's all about momentum. Keep the winning flow and feeling going, and we'll see positive displays in the league.

You can't tackle everest straight away. You need to build a winning mentality and the best way of doing that is winning the smaller trophies, then going for the big ones next season.

It's our only hope.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Look at our Squad then look at City's and tell me we seriously have a chance of winning the league.... particularly if we don't buy in January which is not impossible. We've pretty much had one first team squad player fall to injury every week so far and it's not even October yet.

It's a little far fetched for us to think a few cup games will actually (in reality) equate to us throwing the league and/or CL away. The league lasts till May as does the CL & FA Cup which doesn't even start for us till January. The Capital One Cup won't. If by December it seriously looks like we might have the cojones and luck to actually win the title or CL then we can sign a few players in January. However we could also get to January be several points off the pace in the league, likely to go out of the CL and out of the Mickey Mouse Cup already which would be a travesty.

It may not be likely but with any number of random injuries that can affect a squad any number of adverse ways and I can't help feeling our lack of options up front is bound to affect us eventually.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Look at our Squad then look at City's and tell me we seriously have a chance of winning the league.... particularly if we don't buy in January which is not impossible. We've pretty much had one first team squad player fall to injury every week so far and it's not even October yet.

It's a little far fetched for us to think a few cup games will actually (in reality) equate to us throwing the league and/or CL away. The league lasts till May as does the CL & FA Cup which doesn't even start for us till January. The Capital One Cup won't. If by December it seriously looks like we might have the cojones and luck to actually win the title or CL then we can sign a few players in January. However we could also get to January be several points off the pace in the league, likely to go out of the CL and out of the Mickey Mouse Cup already which would be a travesty.

It may not be likely but with any number of random injuries that can affect a squad any number of adverse ways and I can't help feeling our lack of options up front is bound to affect us eventually.

:gp:

Stop pissing around. Let's go for them.

Marc Overmars
27-09-2013, 12:31 PM
The whole prioritising mentality has amounted to nothing for us, we go out of everything in the same feeble manner anyway.

Power n Glory
27-09-2013, 12:54 PM

I'd usually agree but the squad is wafer thin. We play a full strength team in the cup games, we only risk losing them in future cup games because the fatigue will catch up to them in the league. If we play the kids we may unearth so gems that are ready for the first team.

We have a good shot at the title. City look good now but they have a new coach and you just don't know what will happen. I remember when Chelsea looked good when Scolari came in as coach. They were scoring for fun then it all fell apart. After this summer, my expectations have been set a little higher. That desperation for a cup/any cup has gone. For me, that mentality stemmed from this squad needing to believe in themselves and this club. A self esteem boost. But if we continue to spend money on players like Ozil, the team will automatically get that from the sort of players we're bringing in.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-09-2013, 01:21 PM
The whole prioritising mentality has amounted to nothing for us, we go out of everything in the same feeble manner anyway.

Spot on.

Master Splinter
27-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Expertly put.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-09-2013, 08:44 PM
I'd usually agree but the squad is wafer thin. We play a full strength team in the cup games, we only risk losing them in future cup games because the fatigue will catch up to them in the league. If we play the kids we may unearth so gems that are ready for the first team.

We have a good shot at the title. City look good now but they have a new coach and you just don't know what will happen. I remember when Chelsea looked good when Scolari came in as coach. They were scoring for fun then it all fell apart. After this summer, my expectations have been set a little higher. That desperation for a cup/any cup has gone. For me, that mentality stemmed from this squad needing to believe in themselves and this club. A self esteem boost. But if we continue to spend money on players like Ozil, the team will automatically get that from the sort of players we're bringing in.

The fact we have a wafer thin squad is precisely why we won't win the league and why we cannot pin our hopes on it whilst forfeiting the cups. All it takes is for one important player to be injured for one game and his replacement to have a mare resulting in dropped points. Said replacement may not even need to have a nightmare.All it takes is for him to not be of the requisite quality. In reality that scenario will probably happen several times over this season and it could even happen tomorrow, resulting in an accumulation of dropped points.

Gone are the days of us winning the league with a prominent base of 15 players like in 2004. They were individually and collectively better than the current side and even then were monumentally fortunate in terms of injuries. The current side are falling like hot sacks a crap.

The year Scolari was at Chelsea may have fell a part but we weren't the ones to capitalise and take advantage. If City implode this season it is more likely that one of Man U or Chelsea themselves will take advantage.

IF we buy in January that is actually just as much reason for us to not throw the COCup because we will be better equipped.

That said, I don't see why it needs to be a choice between strict first team players or the under 21's. We won't have all our players available (at any 1 point this season!) and we needn't play a team entirely of kids.....just a mix of 1st teamers, fringe players and younglings. Ie Giroud, Gnabry Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere, Monreal, Jenks...... Moreover, Chelsea may well not play a best 11 either and will mix and match just as I am proposing we do.

Even Wednesday's team against WBA wasn't 11 kids and if it was, we would have most definitely gone out in my honest view.

Grebbo
28-09-2013, 03:32 AM

Yup, exactly.

Didn't we play our strongest teams against Bradford in the semi and Birmingham in the final??? Look how that turned out.

We're not going to win the league or the Champs Lge and the FA Cup is much harder to win than the League Cup so let's just play a strong team against Chavs and see what happens. We should have some players back by then anyway.

Gooner23
28-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Go for the COC I say

Nayan
28-09-2013, 09:14 AM
as soon as one of the first team gets injured in a COC match everyone will be calling for wenger's head for not playing the kids in it.
fuck the league cup.

Power n Glory
28-09-2013, 09:28 AM
The fact we have a wafer thin squad is precisely why we won't win the league and why we cannot pin our hopes on it whilst forfeiting the cups. All it takes is for one important player to be injured for one game and his replacement to have a mare resulting in dropped points. Said replacement may not even need to have a nightmare.All it takes is for him to not be of the requisite quality. In reality that scenario will probably happen several times over this season and it could even happen tomorrow, resulting in an accumulation of dropped points.

Gone are the days of us winning the league with a prominent base of 15 players like in 2004. They were individually and collectively better than the current side and even then were monumentally fortunate in terms of injuries. The current side are falling like hot sacks a crap.

The year Scolari was at Chelsea may have fell a part but we weren't the ones to capitalise and take advantage. If City implode this season it is more likely that one of Man U or Chelsea themselves will take advantage.

IF we buy in January that is actually just as much reason for us to not throw the COCup because we will be better equipped.

That said, I don't see why it needs to be a choice between strict first team players or the under 21's. We won't have all our players available (at any 1 point this season!) and we needn't play a team entirely of kids.....just a mix of 1st teamers, fringe players and younglings. Ie Giroud, Gnabry Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere, Monreal, Jenks...... Moreover, Chelsea may well not play a best 11 either and will mix and match just as I am proposing we do.

Even Wednesday's team against WBA wasn't 11 kids and if it was, we would have most definitely gone out in my honest view.

The same logic applies to to a cup game. One slip and you're out of the competition.

Did we not lose our opening game of the season? But where are we in the league right now? It's possible to recover in the league because other teams can slip too. We have to at least maintain the best and in form first team players we have up until January. If we're still in the race for the league by then, we have as good a chance as anyone else. If we actually challenge for the league this year, it's a big statement. A League Cup victory and scraping 4th won't be big enough. It would be nice to break the hoodoo but I'm thinking back to the original purpose of the Emirates and what Gazidis said this summer. We're looking at competing with the elite clubs in Europe and my expectations for this season have gone up a notch.

I agree that the league cup can act as a spring board but I just don't think we have the squad to do it this year or not right now. Against Chelsea, we should play the young players and maybe a few players that are struggling for form and need games. Wilshere, Arteta and Rosicky maybe.....forget risking Giroud or key defenders. It's too risky. Forget playing Ozil or Cazorla as well.

Özim
28-09-2013, 09:30 AM
as soon as one of the first team gets injured in a COC match everyone will be calling for wenger's head for not playing the kids in it.
fuck the league cup.
People have been calling for his head for years, so no change there tbh.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-09-2013, 12:41 PM
The same logic applies to to a cup game. One slip and you're out of the competition.

Did we not lose our opening game of the season? But where are we in the league right now? It's possible to recover in the league because other teams can slip too. We have to at least maintain the best and in form first team players we have up until January. If we're still in the race for the league by then, we have as good a chance as anyone else. If we actually challenge for the league this year, it's a big statement. A League Cup victory and scraping 4th won't be big enough. It would be nice to break the hoodoo but I'm thinking back to the original purpose of the Emirates and what Gazidis said this summer. We're looking at competing with the elite clubs in Europe and my expectations for this season have gone up a notch.

I agree that the league cup can act as a spring board but I just don't think we have the squad to do it this year or not right now. Against Chelsea, we should play the young players and maybe a few players that are struggling for form and need games. Wilshere, Arteta and Rosicky maybe.....forget risking Giroud or key defenders. It's too risky. Forget playing Ozil or Cazorla as well.

A cup triumph is not reliant on a strong squad, it is helped by it. There is a difference in my opinion. The same is not true for a league campaign.

So what you are saying is that you don't actually want us to play a team of kids? You want it to be a team of kids, mixed in with fringe players and players struggling for games. Well isn't that something closer to what I was actually suggesting then? Sure you may think that Giroud shouldn't play or Mertesacker or whoever but in any given game I suspect that we are unlikely to agree on a line up in any case. Even in an important league game.

You pointing out our loss to Villa only supports the idea we can afford to drop points (somewhere) in the league along the way....even if it is as a result of fatigue from a previous cup game so I'm not sure what value that example is.

If we somehow scrape 4th or even finish outside of it woe betide us, let's not pretend as if it's because we played Olivier Giroud and Mertesacker in the COCup. It will because we went into the season with a thin squad and finished it with a thin squad that are predictably tired and many of whom picked up injuries. It will be hard for Giroud to keep up he is doing....not just because there are that many games, but because it is unheard of for a striker to score a goal a game for an entire season as that would put him in the region of 35+ league goals alone.

I don't think we should take the COCup seriously because it's a springboard, I think we should do so because it's actually a tournament we might have a realistic chance of winning if we take it seriously and simply because it is a cup.

Power n Glory
28-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't think we should take the COCup seriously because it's a springboard, I think we should do so because it's actually a tournament we might have a realistic chance of winning if we take it seriously and simply because it is a cup.

That's where we differ. I believe we have a realistic chance of winning the league this year. So many new managers coming in for our rivals....this won't happen again. Not under Wenger at least. Maybe it's the new money talking, but right now I feel as if the Carling Cup is something we should not take seriously. I usually wouldn't feel this way and would be in total agreement but this is a big season for Wenger. The Capital One Cup wouldn't be enough to convince me that he's the man to take us forward. It wouldn't prove much.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't believe we have a realistic chance of winning the league unless we sign a player or two in January and that for me is no certainty in spite of the amount we paid for Ozil. Like you, I believe this season presents a fantastic opportunity to win it, but I remain unconvinced that we will capitalise on that (off the pitch).

I struggle to remember a side who have won the league with such poor options at Centre forward.....not least since Blackburn which was an entirely different footballing climate all together and with respect to Giroud, Alan Shearer he is not. Shearer made 42 league appearances and scored 34 league goals in that season which was incredible and not exactly something we can ask of or expect of any one player whilst staying injury free.

If you gave me Alan Shearer and couple guarantee me he would be fit for the entire season, then you yourself could be his back up for all I care and I'd put my liver on us winning the league.

Fist of Lehmann
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
fuck the league cup.

Well precisely. Bollocks I say.

Two upsides.
1. Winning breeds confidence and belief. Clough used to talk about how winning the Shitty Whatever Cup gave his side the confidence to go on and win the European Cup. That's great, but frankly no amount of confidence is going to add depth to our squad, prevent injuries or be an extra striker. Ultimately that will be the real threat to any sustained challenge we hope to make.

2. It stops all the bleating about no trophies for X years. That's also great, but had Koscielny not lost his mind that day you suspect the lament would now be "only 1 COC in X years" (and look how far confidence took Birmingham City). The League Cup is small time. A small time trophy for small time teams. All the prestige is in the PL, all the money in the CL. Arsenal doesn't need to win a trophy for trophy's sake, we need to be up there trading blows with Man City and Man Utd, Barca and Bayern.

If deprioritising this, the least of the 4 competitions we are in, helps us do that, then fuck the COC. Win it or don't win it, who gives a shit?