PDA

View Full Version : The Official Serge Gnabry Thread

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2013, 11:45 PM
so there we were, with most of our wingers injured and Arsenal seemingly out, WRONG. Up steps Mr Gnabry to take responsibility.

I thought he did okay last week against Stoke but this week he was superb. A well taken goal and growing in confidence, he seems to have embedded into the first team nicely.

Is he left footed or is he right? Is he a left winger or a right winger? No-one really knows.

I must admit it's good to have a good roster of kids coming through and finally making an impact. For years we went through a lull where they would shine in the reserves then fail to make the step up to the first team, but this new batch seem different. It feels like the Arsenal of old.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8340/8248357094_8b74066303_z.jpg

http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8222531.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Serge-Gnabry.jpg

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/151844725-serge-gnabry-of-arsenal-during-a-training-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QUsuH3qnoz7R5dd%2F44CMXPqvk% 2FEChDh0fnT6Gda8BJzxRj29YtDQfhyZdBXJ%2BuyM%2FA%3D% 3D

Master Splinter
28-09-2013, 11:59 PM
The offspring of Frimpong and Oxlade has a good future.

Do not forget he can play left, right, as a striker, at centre-back and in goal.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-09-2013, 12:34 AM
I really like the look of the lad. Has the technique, skills, pace and physique to make it at this level. With the Germans in the squad to help steer him in the right direction hopefully he develops the right mentality to continue to grow as a player. Definitely ahead of Ryo and probably the most likeliest youth player to break into the first team proper.

Too early too say anything for certain though. A certain Jermaine Pennant looked very impressive when he made his debut for us and looked how he turned out.

Germans :bow::bow:

Syn
29-09-2013, 12:48 AM
You can tell when Wenger rates a youngster with outstanding talent, because even at 18 they're in the first team and he has no worries about throwing him into the deep end when there wasn't much need. He could've played Monreal today but he chucked Gnabbers in for the 3rd start of the week.

He seems to be playing quite cautiously, just making sure he doesn't lose the ball, he's putting in a massive defensive shift and just trying to keep things simple until he gets up to the speed of the game. Twice he has had good second half performances in the two league games he has played. Hasn't been quite as explosive as Oxlade's first few games but very sensible. Apparently a lot more to come from him because he's meant to have serious talent.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-09-2013, 12:59 AM
His match highlights today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiK7yZxvKBQ

Özil's Panoramic View
29-09-2013, 01:19 AM
He's a proper player.

That little burst to round his man. :bow:

GP
29-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I like him, he's fast, he's quick, he's got pace.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Been very impressive and not just for his little bursts, he appears to be very composed and mature considering he's only 18. Doesn't waste the ball and seems to be a good worker as well.

Özim
29-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Was impressed with him, took the goal very well and made the mazy run to setup Giroud at the end of the 1st half, looks to have a lot of potential.

JonasTC
29-09-2013, 10:35 AM
2nd youngest goalscorer for Arsenal :)

Dennis Bendtner
29-09-2013, 10:39 AM
He seems to be playing quite cautiously, just making sure he doesn't lose the ball, he's putting in a massive defensive shift and just trying to keep things simple until he gets up to the speed of the game. Twice he has had good second half performances in the two league games he has played. Hasn't been quite as explosive as Oxlade's first few games but very sensible. Apparently a lot more to come from him because he's meant to have serious talent.

Up until yesterday he'd played it very safe in all of his first team games (including Reading in the Cup last year, for example). Yesterday was when he showed little bit personality as Wenger said. Tried to be more involved in the interplay and influence the game himself.

selassie
29-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Good little player, looking forward to see him develop. I like that he's very mature in his approach and as we saw yesterday can be pretty devastating when he is direct.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
29-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Up until yesterday he'd played it very safe in all of his first team games (including Reading in the Cup last year, for example). Yesterday was when he showed little bit personality as Wenger said. Tried to be more involved in the interplay and influence the game himself.

Yeah agree.

That's what I mean when I say he did 'okay' against Stoke last week, every time he got the ball he'd retreat in his shell and pass sideways instead of pick the ball up with real vigour. Yesterday was different, he dribbled more, had greater passing range and played little through balls.

A lot of people were worried that 3 games in a week would be too much for the kid but I think it had the opposite effect. It allowed him to build up his fitness which he needed in order to put in a high-tempo performance like he did against Swansea where the game is typically more open. And of course at a younger age it's much easier to play 3 games in a week.

Penguin
29-09-2013, 03:59 PM
He has clearly got talent but personally I've been a little disappointed. He's been playing it safe, too safe for my liking. He's good at keeping the ball and playing a simple pass and move game but he's not aggressive enough, or hasn't been in the last 3 games. He drops back into our own half or into the central areas passing in little triangles but it's all in the wrong area of the pitch. He should be closer to Giroud, ready to play off any lay-offs, making runs behind the opponent's backline or trying to isolate their leftback to run at. The only time he ran at the defenders in the last three games was that one against Swansea in the first half - and he nearly created a goal.

That said, he is only 18 and has done a decent job. Great composure for the goal and impressive workrate in defence.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2013, 08:04 PM
I think he probably could have been more adventurous from what we've seen so far but I think his performances have been fairly mature. There's no expectation on him to gamble and take risks, all I want to see from an 18 year old player is some competence and he's shown it.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Long range propensity to shoot aside (which is only really down to his approach of caution) he is basically the exact same player as Chamberlain. It is uncanny. Even in the positions he takes up and the way he moves with the ball. That said, it is not a bad thing to have two Chamberlains, particularly when the real one is injured....doh!

Going forward I would like to see him in our half a lot less and play much further up the field. The combination of pace, skill and power is deadly, particularly on the counter so in such occurrences you don't want him in slapping/talking distance of his own goalkeeper.

I do think Wenger has had his hand a little forced with him but I suspect that his approach of caution gave him a platform of trust in which the manager was willing to play him yet again yesterday. Hopefully now he feels he has that trust he throws a little of that caution to the wind.

Neo Reloaded
30-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Too early to tell but a good prospect for sure - Ox-like built and style.

Dein-machine
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Its great to prove some of the doubters ( & I'm one of them ) wrong, that we can continue to develop 1st team players from our youth set up - in these days where the big clubs have to strive for instant success & can't take risks on untested youngsters.
Just not sure that with a midfield already containing Jack, Ozil, Rambo & Santi with Flamini/Artete as DM - how we are also going to cater for Theo, OX & Gnabbers. Think the poor lad needs to make immedite HUGE impact otherwise he faces years on the bench or we'll sell him.

Dr Singh
01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
He looks decent doesn't he? Combination of pace, power and technique that me and Wenger both love.

He's just starting off so I can forgive him for making sure he's defensively tight and playing it simple. He's also shown enough flashes of quality to demonstrate what he could bring to us if we did fully develop him. Not a bad 3rd choice RW to have at all.

From what I understand he's actually more of a number 10 than a winger. Like Chamberlain however, he will likely have to develop his game on the right wing and it will be a long time before he gets much action in the center.

It is incredible that only a month in we are faced with a situation where we are missing ALL 4 of our first choice wingers. Glad this lad has got some minutes under his belt and could yet demonstrated himself to be a viable squad option for later in the season.

Long range propensity to shoot aside (which is only really down to his approach of caution) he is basically the exact same player as Chamberlain. It is uncanny. Even in the positions he takes up and the way he moves with the ball. That said, it is not a bad thing to have two Chamberlains, particularly when the real one is injured....doh!

Going forward I would like to see him in our half a lot less and play much further up the field. The combination of pace, skill and power is deadly, particularly on the counter so in such occurrences you don't want him in slapping/talking distance of his own goalkeeper.

I do think Wenger has had his hand a little forced with him but I suspect that his approach of caution gave him a platform of trust in which the manager was willing to play him yet again yesterday. Hopefully now he feels he has that trust he throws a little of that caution to the wind.

Syn
01-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Disgusting the way the afterhours immigrantbros are only mixing with their own kind and refusing to participate in the pub forum scum culture of GW.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-10-2013, 12:45 PM
New contract for Gnabbers. :bow:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gnabry-agrees-new-long-term-contract

Young forward Serge Gnabry has agreed a new long-term contract with Arsenal Football Club.

The 18-year old Germany youth international has emerged as one of the brightest young talents in the Gunners’ ranks. He scored his first senior goal for the Club in the 2-1 Premier League victory over Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium in September - a week after making his full Premier League debut against Stoke City.

Blessed with raw pace and technical skill, Gnabry signed his first professional contract in the summer of 2012, having impressed for the under-18 side.

He quickly made the step up to senior level during 2012/13, making substitute appearances in the Premier League at Norwich City and the Champions League home match against Schalke. In the process Gnabry became the second youngest Arsenal player - after Jack Wilshere - to appear in both competitions.

This season, Gnabry has also featured in the Capital One Cup - playing the full 120 minutes against West Bromwich Albion, having made his first competitive senior start in the same competition last season in a 7-5 win over Reading.

Arsčne Wenger said: “We signed Serge Gnabry because I believe that he will be a great player. He's nearly there now, and competes for a regular place in the team in the Premier League.

"He has technical ability, he has power, he has pace, he has finishing quality and he can give a final ball. He's a powerful offensive player and I believe that he will be a great player for Arsenal Football Club.”

Gnabry said: “Arsenal is a great football club and I’m so happy to be here and sign a new contract. For me, now it’s all about working hard and developing my game.

"I’ve had some good opportunities recently in the first team, which has given me extra confidence, and this will only improve my game. I’m looking forward to giving my best for this club in the years to come.”

Everyone at Arsenal is looking forward to Serge’s continued progression and development with the Club over the coming years.

He has power, he has pace. Almost the full Alan Hansen.

GP
28-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Well done to GerNabbers

Munchies
28-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Good stuff, great with the ball, has pace, and won our penalty the other day with that clever cut back

AFC Leveller
28-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Good player, like the way he goes forward with the ball and gets at people instead of passing it back all the time.

bags of potential though.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Was brilliant when he came on at the weekend

Direct, quick and lots of energy

The only natural winger we have with our bucket list of injuries

selassie
28-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Great news, he looks a very good prospect. I like him and hope he makes it here which is looking increasingly likely.

PGFC
28-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Theo who?

GP
28-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Theo who?

Huxtable

Özim
28-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Theo who?

Paphitis?

Fist of Lehmann
28-10-2013, 02:35 PM
The only natural winger we have with our bucket list of injuries

This is, I assume, a list of injuries everyone should try before they die.

LDG
28-10-2013, 02:38 PM

:lol:

Özim
28-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Diaby has ticked all of these already, he's an ambitious fella.

Syn
19-11-2013, 08:19 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/443974/Joachim-Low-reveals-Arsenal-s-Serge-Gnabry-could-be-Germany-s-surprise-World-Cup-inclusion

Needs to play. Should start on the weekend against Southampton.

Fist of Lehmann
20-11-2013, 01:11 PM
What about our most feared and dangerous player?

Isn't he fit yet?

Also, Sarge Gnerby. :bow:

fakeyank
20-11-2013, 04:21 PM
What about our most feared and dangerous player?

Isn't he fit yet?

Also, Sarge Gnerby. :bow:

Abou Diaby?

The Emirates Gallactico
17-01-2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-gnabry-will-end-up-in-middle

Wenger - Gnabry will end up in middle

Arsčne Wenger believes Serge Gnabry’s long-term future is through the middle - but says he has the raw ingredients to play on the flank as well.

The Germany youth international has impressed when given his chance on the right wing, and scored his first senior goal at Swansea City in September.

While Wenger feels the 18-year-old could play anywhere across the frontline, he says he is best suited out wide for the time being.

“I'm convinced he has the pace, the dribbling capacity and the physical potential to play wide and these kind of players are very important in the modern game,” the manager said.

“Of course he will certainly end up in a few years centrally because he can give a final ball as well. But we have congestion there, with many players who can play centrally.

“I have pushed many times people like Wilshere, Rosicky and Cazorla to play wide because it's an important position as well on a strategic point of view.”

Some interesting comments today from the boss. I always thought of Gnabry as a wide player (one of the few natural ones we have) and some one who would secure down one of the wide attacking berths in the future but apparently his natural position is in the centre - that's where Wenger envisages him to be.

Power n Glory
17-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Not a shock. He doesn't hug the flank or attempt loads of take ons like a typical winger. But we seem to be collecting a lot of midfield players. Ox is supposed to want that spot as well.

JonasTC
17-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Gnabry will be a fucking beast through the middle, cant wait for this kid to "grow up", vs Aston Villa you could see when he got the ball in the middle how he would quickly turn and run towards goal, making space for himself to either shoot or pass behind the defence. Im amazed at how few mistakes he makes, i know we've only seen him a few times, but in every game it just seems like he chooses the best option everytime he's on the ball.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Not a shock. He doesn't hug the flank or attempt loads of take ons like a typical winger. But we seem to be collecting a lot of midfield players. Ox is supposed to want that spot as well.

Those were my thoughts too. He quite often tucks in a little and naturally drifts into a central position, where he can pick out a final pass. Chamberlain does it too.

The pair of them are real modern day footballers.

Also Wenger seems to be confirming what we already know, which is that he likes to have one more conventional winger on one side and then a playmaker / ball playing midfielder wide on the other side. I think it is a subtlety and nuance of Wenger's tactics that gets overlooked a little. Some perceive him to either do very little in the way of tactics if not none at all.