PDA

View Full Version : Sagna's contract

Dennis Bendtner
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I think Sagna is the one first XI player whose contract finishes next year and any talk of it from the club has gone quiet since the summer. The point of contention seems to be Arsenal’s standard one-year offer but Sagna wanting two or three. Appears more than likely he’ll leave next summer given how talks don’t seem to have got anywhere.

In my opinion Bac has lost some sharpness over the last year or so. Age and injuries undoubtedly have an effect here. At right-back he’s become less assured in one-on-one situations. His big strength was athleticism on the right but I think that’s declining. I think it’s might be case of Wenger looking at the stats, seeing some overall drop and prioritising his importance from that.

He’ll more than likely get a longer contract elsewhere. I have liked the idea of him staying given his accomplished performances at centre-back but that possibility seems remote. Thoughts on the situation?

Marc Overmars
07-10-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't think GHELkinson is ready yet so I would say it's important to get Sagan tied down for at least another 2 years.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
07-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Still a quality RB who does well at CB too.

No brainer.

Give him a new deal.

Syn
07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I think he has been good so far this season. He might want to go to Man City and get a last big payday and we can't stop him. Either way, finding a top RB should be a priority. Sagna was always top notch defensively but quite poor attacking wise (although, again, this season he has been decent going forward). If we can find a more experienced Gibbs-equivalent at RB, that's probably the second easiest way to improve the team, after buying a better striker.

I don't think we'll give him a new contract. And as easy it is for fans to say that they want everyone to stay and then demand 4-5 more players on top wages because psychopath Walt Wenger was hiding millions under his mattress, but it's not going to work like that. Would like him to stay but if he goes I'm sure we'll see a quality RB come in. Wenger knows how important they are and the first-choice fullbacks have always been good.

milla
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't think GHELkinson is ready yet so I would say it's important to get Sagan tied down for at least another 2 years.

At this rate, I can see Bellerin taking over from Corp Jenks as 2nd choice RB. :coffee:

Syn
07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
At this rate, I can see Bellerin taking over from Corp Jenks as 2nd choice RB. :coffee:

Agreed. He's only 18 but supposed to be a good one we stole from Barcelona. Looked very composed against WBA in the league cup when he came on - albeit in midfield.

milla
07-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Agreed. He's only 18 but supposed to be a good one we stole from Barcelona. Looked very composed against WBA in the league cup when he came on - albeit in midfield.

Well he was a midfielder for Barcelona and converted to right back at Arsenal. :coffee:

hobson's choice
07-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Get the deal done, Sagna is one of our important glue players.

hobson's choice
07-10-2013, 04:26 PM
In my opinion Bac has lost some sharpness over the last year or so. Age and injuries undoubtedly have an effect here. At right-back he’s become less assured in one-on-one situations. His big strength was athleticism on the right but I think that’s declining. I think it’s might be case of Wenger looking at the stats, seeing some overall drop and prioritising his importance from that.

To me Sagna seems to be one of those players who is good for team chemistry/spirit and what not. The other guys really seem to like him, and he's one of the leaders on the team. Don't get rid of players like this, he playing time may diminish a bit. But every team needs players like him, good team first players.

Penguin
07-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I love Jenks and his passion for Arsenal but I don't think he's not good enough to be first choice right back for us. Arsene should be looking for a top replacement for Sagna regardless, but unless he has a surefire, experienced replacement we need to keep hold of Sagna. He's still a good player.

Xhaka Can’t
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I want Jenks to be good enough to take over - but he isn't. I think he will at best, provide cover to Sagan or whoever we bring in to replace him.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
He probably doesn't have as much stamina but hasn't lost any of his athleticism to my mind. I'd be delighted to give him a 3 year contract myself. I like the fact he has embraced the idea of playing centre back and even alluded to it prolonging his career.