PDA

View Full Version : Diaby needs ANOTHER surgery

Munchies
18-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Article has just been posted by the Mirror,

' Arsenal's Abou Diaby to undergo cruciate knee ligament surgery and is out until next March'

Abou Diaby has suffered a new injury blow which will keep him out until March.

Diaby has undergone more surgery on his cruciate knee ligament after a setback in his recovery from the injury.

Arsenal midfielder Diaby, 27, suffered the injury in March and is now facing 12 months on the sidelines which is another hammer blow for the French international whose career has been dogged by injuries.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger said: "He had a little key hole surgery again, on the the knee because his knee blew up every time he did something so it is now six months after the cruciate.

"He could not even jog yet so with new surgery it is a set back for him so competitive football cannot be played before March."

It was widely expected to be the last season of Diaby's career at Arsenal but Wenger insists that he may get another chance.

Wenger added: "He has one and a half years to go on his contract."

Wenger expects Lukas Podolski to be back by the end of November, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to return in December and Yaya Sanogo "could be the earliest one which could be mid-November.

Needs to be put down now :rose:

Letters
18-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Dignitas, tbh.

Munchies
18-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Dignitas, tbh.

:haha:

GP
18-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Meh. I don't consider him to be part of the squad anyway.

He'll never be 100% again.

Munchies
18-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Wenger sounds like he'll keep him here to pay the last 1.5 years of his salary off.

:tiphat:

JonasTC
18-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Its just a hard one with Diaby, because if he ever stays fit, he could become one of the best midfielders in the world.

GP
18-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Its just a hard one with Diaby, because if he ever stays fit, he could become one of the best midfielders in the world.

Nah, it's too late for him. He's missed all of his development.

Time to hang it up, take up coaching or something.

The Emirates Gallactico
18-10-2013, 10:47 PM
I know we all take the piss at times but really you got to feel sorry for the guy.

He's had a promising footballing career all but ruined by some feral thug who now works in a call centre. Never fully recovered from that and god knows where he would be if that didn't occur - he definately had the talent to be a superstar. I hope someone finds Dan Smith and breaks his legs permenently.

For his own sake it's about time he decides to seriously consider his future. He should take this oppurtunity where he still has the money and the support of the club to investigate other footballing career paths. Perhaps like Karbaiyasson he could start training to become a football scout?

Syn
19-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Definitely feel sorry for him. Not too sorry because he can retire a multi-millionaire by 30. But still, if you're good enough to get to the level where you are signed up by a top club and can perform well at the knockout CL games, you have to be distraught if you can never find out how good you could become.

We only have to look at Ramsey. If his injury was such that he could never gain fitness (which is basically 99% of what has made him a top performer - just being able to run more than everyone else), we only would've seen the 2012 Ramsey performances throughout his career, where his own fans call him shit and think he's a liability. Nice that he got the chance to put things right. Not saying Diaby definitely would've done the same but he'll never get the chance. Which is awful. For a 27 year old multi-millionaire.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Sell the prick. He has eroded our wage structure for too bloody long.

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2013, 08:07 AM
It is over.

And sadly it has been since that talentless thug wrecked his career for nothing. In a game that was over. There was nothing whatsoever to have been gained from that tackle. Nothing.

I genuinely hope something genuinely nasty happens to Dan Smith. That complete waste of oxygen had no business sharing the same pitch as Diaby.

A genuinely talented player had his career robbed from him that night.

Munchies
19-10-2013, 08:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BW52h3mIIAA7Sp_.jpg

Letters
19-10-2013, 08:38 AM

:rolleyes:

He's clearly never going to be the player we all hoped he'd become and we need to get rid but is there any need for abuse? He's not doing it to annoy you or me.

As Syn said, there's no need to be overly sympathetic as he's going to retire a multi-millionaire but it must be massively frustrating for him.

Bumble
19-10-2013, 09:11 AM
He had size he had talent. I don't think he always showed the right desire and attitude on the pitch. He must be very frustrated, but do I feel sorry not really. He doesn't need to work. Able to do nearly anything he wants to. There are a lot worse things than a rich bloke with a knee injury.

The tackle that started it was horrendous but I really don't think that has been the cause of everything since. Diabys body is just not able to cope.

Master Splinter
19-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Unless he does an RVC in a few years after having a solitary storming season where he's actually fit, there's nothing wrong with being sympathetic towards a guy who has had a rotten run of fortune. Or perhaps more accurately, had his career cut short by rotten players like Dan Smith, Essien and Paul Robinson (not the guy in Neighbours or the fat Spud).

He's not flaunting his wealth on a gold-plated dench hospital bed. By all accounts, he's been working as hard as possible to regain fitness and make sure he earns his money.

Power n Glory
19-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I really hope he's able to make a recover but it's looking unlikely. He probably knows it too and will probably retire after his contract is done. It's a shame. Could have been a beast of a player under Weneger and more match time.

BOBN
19-10-2013, 10:09 AM
To whom Einstein? :doh:

PGFC
19-10-2013, 10:47 AM
To whom Einstein? :doh:

http://simplyfreegadgets.com/freebieblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/pedigree-dog-food.jpg

Penguin
19-10-2013, 11:31 AM
I do feel sorry for him, it's not his fault he's made of glass. But we aren't a charity and we are paying him £60k per week only to get 5 games out of him every season(if we're lucky). It was worth standing by him so far but enough is enough, and unless he's willing to take a pay cut he should be moved on.

It's a shame because there were actually some glimpses of real talent, mixed in with a lot of shite.

Power n Glory
19-10-2013, 11:49 AM
He has a contract! He was injured playing for the club. You can't terminate the deal or force a pay cut. I don't get that mentality. Where is the loyalty and integrity? Any other profession and you wouldn't condone that.

Xhaka Can’t
19-10-2013, 11:52 AM
He has a contract! He was injured playing for the club. You can't terminate the deal or force a pay cut. I don't get that mentality. Where is the loyalty and integrity? Any other profession and you wouldn't condone that.
Some people don't seem to understand the obligations we have to contracted players. That said, it was unwise to have offered Diaby future contracts.

Power n Glory
19-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Considering his age, it was way too early to write Diaby off and he's a talented player so I can understand why we stuck with him. But it would be crazy to offer him another long term deal after this unless he has a really fantastic run in the team or there is a compromise.

The Emirates Gallactico
19-10-2013, 01:47 PM
It doesn't matter if he's a multi millionaire or not. He's had his dream career ruined pointlessly by some thug. I'm sure he would easily give up most of his millions to get a chance to go back in time and have another shot to make it again.

Yep there are probably a lot more deserving people out there for our sympathy but that doesn't mean that we can't appreciate Diaby's situation.

BOBN
19-10-2013, 04:26 PM
This is why I roll my eyes at the whining when people like RVP or Bale move on, talking about things like loyalty. The indignance of some when the boots on the other foot :haha:

milla
19-10-2013, 04:31 PM
It doesn't matter if he's a multi millionaire or not. He's had his dream career ruined pointlessly by some thug. I'm sure he would easily give up most of his millions to get a chance to go back in time and have another shot to make it again.

Yep there are probably a lot more deserving people out there for our sympathy but that doesn't mean that we can't appreciate Diaby's situation.

Tis :gp:

I hope Diaby will fully recover and starts playing football again. Football is probably the only things that he knows, don't take it from him. :coffee:

Özim
19-10-2013, 06:52 PM
In reality this guy should have been offered a pay as you play deal last time he signed a contract with us, that would have been logical given his injury record.

mastermind84
20-10-2013, 03:21 AM

sports fans are hypocrites.

cry for loyalty from players they like, and then want rid of players they dont like. And when you apply the stuff that happens to athletes to scenarios that fit into their own world, they suddenly change their tune.

In reality this guy should have been offered a pay as you play deal last time he signed a contract with us, that would have been logical given his injury record.
he was on the last year of his deal and had found some form.

if the club did that, he would have left and you -- and others -- would cry about loyalty and the club not keeping a player, etc.

The Ogg Monster
20-10-2013, 05:27 AM
The only real question is- firing squad, lethal injection or gas chamber? Then sell his bones for glue and his flesh for Asda lasagna

Penguin
20-10-2013, 08:46 AM

I agree with you in principal but there's no such thing as loyalty in football now. Contracts mean fuck all to players and clubs alike. If Diaby suddenly had a good season and Barca came knocking he wouldn't think twice about packing his bags and going. And Wenger wouldn't stop him either, just look at Cesc, Song and Hleb. Wenger has always been lenient with his players and sometimes they do take advantage.

I'm not sure how we can justify paying £60k/week. We've sold other deadweight in the summer so I don't see the problem with cutting our losses on Diaby.

Özim
20-10-2013, 12:31 PM
he was on the last year of his deal and had found some form.

if the club did that, he would have left and you -- and others -- would cry about loyalty and the club not keeping a player, etc.

Seeing as he's barely played since, I think we'd realise we had a lucky escape. Good player with talent but his body can't cope with football, so what's the point.

Nayan
21-10-2013, 01:34 PM
It is over.

And sadly it has been since that talentless thug wrecked his career for nothing. In a game that was over. There was nothing whatsoever to have been gained from that tackle. Nothing.

I genuinely hope something genuinely nasty happens to Dan Smith. That complete waste of oxygen had no business sharing the same pitch as Diaby.

A genuinely talented player had his career robbed from him that night.
I doubt its just dan smith, although it diodnt help. I think Diaby is basically made of glasss and was always going to be injury prone. Sad but thems the breaks.
Anyway he had the contract, and owes us nothing more than 100% comitment to get/stay available and to try to deliver when he is able/asked to.
As long as he hasnt slacked off thers not much more to be said other than 'bad luck.'

Power n Glory
21-10-2013, 02:34 PM
I agree with you in principal but there's no such thing as loyalty in football now. Contracts mean fuck all to players and clubs alike. If Diaby suddenly had a good season and Barca came knocking he wouldn't think twice about packing his bags and going. And Wenger wouldn't stop him either, just look at Cesc, Song and Hleb. Wenger has always been lenient with his players and sometimes they do take advantage.

I'm not sure how we can justify paying £60k/week. We've sold other deadweight in the summer so I don't see the problem with cutting our losses on Diaby.

I don’t think we agree in principal at all with those examples. That would be bloody scandalous. If you heard a company like British Gas or BP did that to one of their employees to save a bit of money, you’d be disgusted. Diaby came to this club as kid and he has a contract. The club couldn’t justify releasing him from his contract and I’d hope we’re not as cut throat as that. Fans shouldn’t support that sort of behaviour. It’s one thing to want to move an underperforming player on but this is different issue.

Letters
21-10-2013, 02:41 PM
It's not quite the same as a 'normal' employee who would lose his house if he lost his job.
Footballers are set for life.
Not that I think we should fail to honour his contract, but the comparisons with a normal job only stretch so far.

Power n Glory
21-10-2013, 03:10 PM
It's not quite the same as a 'normal' employee who would lose his house if he lost his job.
Not that I think we should fail to honour his contract, but the comparisons with a normal job only stretch so far.

That’s because you’re thinking of the how much Diaby makes instead of thinking about how much the club makes and comparing such actions to any other corporate organisation. The money he makes is a drop in the ocean compared to what this club generates. Principles should be the same across the board and not altered because of the pay scale. If this were another sport….F1 for example…would it have been right for a team to cut a drivers contract whilst recovering from a serious injury? Felipe Massa is an example. They earn way more than footballer’s and the risks are much higher but would it make it right?

Xhaka Can’t
21-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Diaby has a contract with us. He has done nothing to dishonour it. We therefore have an obligation both legally and morally to honour the contract. The only thing people could rationally disagree with here, is whether we should have agreed the current deal with Diaby.

I don't have nor would I expect anyone to have any sympathy whatsoever with his financial plight - or lack thereof. But I have a hell of a lot of sympathy for a person who seemed to have the ability to achieve great things in the game, but was robbed of the opportunity to realise - or have a go at realising his potential as a player.

Penguin
21-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I don’t think we agree in principal at all with those examples. That would be bloody scandalous. If you heard a company like British Gas or BP did that to one of their employees to save a bit of money, you’d be disgusted. Diaby came to this club as kid and he has a contract. The club couldn’t justify releasing him from his contract and I’d hope we’re not as cut throat as that. Fans shouldn’t support that sort of behaviour. It’s one thing to want to move an underperforming player on but this is different issue.

If the British Gas employee got a job offer from EDF with a higher wage he would leave as soon as he got the chance. That's all that matters to 99% of employees. So why should British Gas persevere with the person who hasn't been able to do his job properly for the past 9 years? They've been patient with him for nearly a decade but the job doesn't do itself.

Look how lenient Wenger has been with players and look what has happened. Cesc, RVP, Adebayor, Flamini, Song, Toure, Clichy, Cole, Nasri, and Hleb have all jumped ship at their first opportunity despite all the time we spent (or wasted) turning them into finished products. Half of them even to our close league rivals. So much for player loyalty.

It is harsh on Diaby but like I said, there is no such thing as loyalty in football. Football IS a cutthroat business and it's time to cut our losses with him. He might actually be better off playing in a less physical league where he'd be less likely to pick up a knock.

Xhaka Can’t
21-10-2013, 07:00 PM
If the British Gas employee got a job offer from EDF with a higher wage he would leave as soon as he got the chance. That's all that matters to 99% of employees. So why should British Gas persevere with the person who hasn't been able to do his job properly for the past 9 years? They've been patient with him for nearly a decade but the job doesn't do itself.

Look how lenient Wenger has been with players and look what has happened. Cesc, RVP, Adebayor, Flamini, Song, Toure, Clichy, Cole, Nasri, and Hleb have all jumped ship at their first opportunity despite all the time we spent (or wasted) turning them into finished products. Half of them even to our close league rivals. So much for player loyalty.

It is harsh on Diaby but like I said, there is no such thing as loyalty in football. Football IS a cutthroat business and it's time to cut our losses with him. He might actually be better off playing in a less physical league where he'd be less likely to pick up a knock.

You do realise that if we just terminated his contract, he would sue the Club?

And he would win. Whats more, he'd probably get more via damages than if we honoured the contract. Added to that, there would be such a breakdown in the Club's reputation, no player worth his salt would play for a Club that does not honour its contracts.

Basically you are advocating that the Club break the law.

Penguin
21-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I didn't said we should terminate his contract anywhere in this thread.

We should sell him when we get the chance though, even if we have to sell him on the cheap.

Power n Glory
21-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Forget loyalty in football, it's a problem with people in general when I hear this sort of talk. No morals. :lol:

This isn't a case of incompetence. If a British Gas worked badly injured his hand whilst fixing a boiler, there is no way the company could terminate his contract whilst he's getting treatment for his hand. As Steve French said, it's breaking the law. No player would want to play for a club that treats its players like that.

Being bitter over Cesc, RVP and whoever else is irrelevant. As for the cutthroat business argument, cutting our losses...you can't use that argument when it suits you. If the club decide to raise ticket prices again and go to corporate with the way we're run, you'd probably be arguing for a more compassionate club connected to the fans and with a love for the sport instead of corporate sponsors.

Power n Glory
21-10-2013, 07:47 PM
You do realise that if we just terminated his contract, he would sue the Club?

And he would win. Whats more, he'd probably get more via damages than if we honoured the contract. Added to that, there would be such a breakdown in the Club's reputation, no player worth his salt would play for a Club that does not honour its contracts.

Basically you are advocating that the Club break the law.

:gp:

Nayan
21-10-2013, 07:49 PM
he is a (well) paid employee, not a slave, consultant or freelancer. Apart from the fact that footballer's earn a lot of money for doing something it is *exactly* that - a normal job.
As such, if someone is injured doing their job its a bit daft calling them a prick and then claiming they should be euthanised on the grounds that, had they been a horse they wouldve been shot by now.

Not least because if they had indeed been a horse, they wouldn't have got the job in the first place.

Penguin
21-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Forget loyalty in football, it's a problem with people in general when I hear this sort of talk. No morals. :lol:

This isn't a case of incompetence. If a British Gas worked badly injured his hand whilst fixing a boiler, there is no way the company could terminate his contract whilst he's getting treatment for his hand. As Steve French said, it's breaking the law. No player would want to play for a club that treats its players like that.

Being bitter over Cesc, RVP and whoever else is irrelevant. As for the cutthroat business argument, cutting our losses...you can't use that argument when it suits you. If the club decide to raise ticket prices again and go to corporate with the way we're run, you'd probably be arguing for a more compassionate club connected to the fans and with a love for the sport instead of corporate sponsors.

I don't know why you guys are going on about terminating his contract. I didn't say that, and in fact nobody even mentioned it in this thread before you did :lol:
I don't even think we can terminate it unless we buy out his contract, which would be pointless because we'd end up paying for it anyway.

The only thing that was actually suggested was selling him, and I don't see much morally wrong with that. We wouldn't be selling him because he got injured playing for us, we'd be selling him because he has always been far too injury prone and inconsistent on the pitch in his 9 years at this club, and because he isn't worth £60k per week. I didn't hear any cries of outrage when Chamakh and Gervinho were sold this summer. Wenger was actually applauded by the majority of our fans for his newfound ruthlessness.

Oh, and I'm not bitter at all. I was just using that example to make my point about loyalty. It works both ways, we aren't a charity to nurse injured little kids back to health and release them to the Barcas and Bayerns to win trophies.

GP
21-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Sell him to who?

Who would buy him?

Xhaka Can’t
21-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Sell him to who?

Who would buy him?

And now we have come full circle to the glue factory.

The Ogg Monster
22-10-2013, 05:38 AM
He would never get into this midfield anyway.

Stick a fork up his bum, he's done.

Penguin
22-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Who would buy him?

A decent CL club like Roma who would fancy a punt
Mid-table to Europa league premier league clubs
A good French side, where he is still quite highly rated
Maybe even one of the 'big' clubs like Milan

As long as we have a realistic transfer value it wont be difficult to sell him. Obviously nobody would touch him at £20m, but at around £10m he starts looking like an attractive target. We even managed to flog Chamakh and Gervinho this summer... we'll have no problem selling Diaby who actually is potentially a beast of a CM.

Power n Glory
22-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't know why you guys are going on about terminating his contract. I didn't say that, and in fact nobody even mentioned it in this thread before you did :lol:
I don't even think we can terminate it unless we buy out his contract, which would be pointless because we'd end up paying for it anyway.

The only thing that was actually suggested was selling him, and I don't see much morally wrong with that. We wouldn't be selling him because he got injured playing for us, we'd be selling him because he has always been far too injury prone and inconsistent on the pitch in his 9 years at this club, and because he isn't worth £60k per week. I didn't hear any cries of outrage when Chamakh and Gervinho were sold this summer. Wenger was actually applauded by the majority of our fans for his newfound ruthlessness.

Oh, and I'm not bitter at all. I was just using that example to make my point about loyalty. It works both ways, we aren't a charity to nurse injured little kids back to health and release them to the Barcas and Bayerns to win trophies.

Yep, loyalty works both ways. Nail on the head.

Nayan
22-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Most people's opinion (ie hatred) of Diaby seems to stem from seeing him break down repeatedly and assuming he then chuckles to himself, collects his pay packet and heads for the nearest nightclub/ps4/Nando's.

If they have some in the know insight to back this up then fair enough - Clearly he doesn't bother spending any time with physios, fitness coaches or indeed counsellors regarding his perennial disappointment about his doomed career.

If however, those folks have nothing other than matchday banter and a mouthful of pie they are they are full of shit.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I do feel it's a little unnecessary the amount of abuse he seems to get, it's incredibly frustrating how he is injured all the time but it's the club who choose to retain his services....I wish he would get fit as i really rate him as a player but it just isn't going to happen.

Nayan
24-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Ive been very frustrated with him but Ive come to realise I dont have enough insight to be able to slate him as someone taking the piss. If you give him the benefit of the doubt then its actually quite classy that Arsenal see loyalty as a two way street.

Letters
24-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Most people's opinion (ie hatred) of Diaby seems to stem from seeing him break down repeatedly and assuming he then chuckles to himself, collects his pay packet and heads for the nearest nightclub/ps4/Nando's.

If they have some in the know insight to back this up then fair enough - Clearly he doesn't bother spending any time with physios, fitness coaches or indeed counsellors regarding his perennial disappointment about his doomed career.

If however, those folks have nothing other than matchday banter and a mouthful of pie they are they are full of shit.
:gp:

Özim
24-10-2013, 08:38 AM

I'm not sure who hates, Diaby. I certainly don't, it's not his fault he keeps getting injured but it doesn't help us at all (it's been 7 years of injuries pretty much now, seems a ridiculous amount of time to hold onto a player who's always injured to me).

That said, he's got a good life that many would love, he can't play football but has managed to keep his very well paid job for 7 years and probably has a nice lifestyle with nice cars, a nice house, plenty of money to spend on anything he likes (probably a model girlfriend, they all have these days don't they?) and some nice holidays....hard to feel too much sympathy really.

Marc Overmars
24-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Certainly don't hate Diaby and I do sympathise with the fact he's essentially had his career robbed from him.

He doesn't even register on my radar anymore. If he can get fit and be successful with us then great, if not then :shrug:

Nayan
24-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure who hates, Diaby. I certainly don't, it's not his fault he keeps getting injured but it doesn't help us at all (it's been 7 years of injuries pretty much now, seems a ridiculous amount of time to hold onto a player who's always injured to me).

That said, he's got a good life that many would love, he can't play football but has managed to keep his very well paid job for 7 years and probably has a nice lifestyle with nice cars, a nice house, plenty of money to spend on anything he likes (probably a model girlfriend, they all have these days don't they?) and some nice holidays....hard to feel too much sympathy really.

Im not saying anyone needs to feel sympathy for him, and certainly not singling you out as a hater. I don't what you may or may not have said about Diaby and dont care.
Im just saying that the bile and opprobrium he attracts tends to come from people who really arent in-the-know enough to back it up.

Moreover - If you can he is a lazy bastard slag him off. If he has a genuine physical problem then why slag him off but not a player who's career/life is cut short by a heart defect or leukaemia?

LDG
24-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Money isn't the be all and end all. Yes he's lucky to be earning bucks like that, but it doesn't fulfill you.

He surely wants to be doing what he loves doing. Spending hours of time in rehab, hours sitting around, surgery, scans....it must get demoralising. Of course you have to have sympathy.

Whether it's the best thing for the club, is open to debate. Anyone else, and I think he would have been shifted on...but Wenger has said on numerous occassions that he rates Diaby very highly, and presumably, he's willing to take the risk on him.

I'd still rather diaby on the wage bill, than some of the guff we've had clogging up the squad these last few years. at least we know that, when fit, he's a fucking good player.

Nayan
27-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Money isn't the be all and end all. Yes he's lucky to be earning bucks like that, but it doesn't fulfill you.

He surely wants to be doing what he loves doing. Spending hours of time in rehab, hours sitting around, surgery, scans....it must get demoralising. Of course you have to have sympathy.

Whether it's the best thing for the club, is open to debate. Anyone else, and I think he would have been shifted on...but Wenger has said on numerous occassions that he rates Diaby very highly, and presumably, he's willing to take the risk on him.

I'd still rather diaby on the wage bill, than some of the guff we've had clogging up the squad these last few years. at least we know that, when fit, he's a fucking good player.

http://youtu.be/hOs2Gf0rhd8
http://youtu.be/hOs2Gf0rhd8

Özim
27-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Blue moon's don't come out very often these days!