PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Marseille (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
26-11-2013, 09:46 PM
That was mostly a bit of a struggle to get it done but get it done we did.

Us. :bow:

Marc Overmars
26-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Job done. Very comfortable game, shame the scoreline doesn't reflect the dominance, we really should have slaughtered them but never mind.

Nice to see Wheelchair getting amongst the goals, he's been needing to do this for a long time. Couple of good and alert saves from Chesney as well despite having nothing to for most of the game.

Quite annoying that we're not through yet despite have 12 points. Looks like we'll have to waste the energies of some big players to ensure there isn't a disaster at Napoli.

Munchies
26-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Look who was in the away end:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaBy3-QCEAEm4yX.jpg:large

:haha:

Ollie the Optimist
26-11-2013, 09:49 PM
an easy win, no need to get out of first gear for majority of match. this group of death thing so far has been, well quite, un death like.

Marc Overmars
26-11-2013, 09:56 PM
We have Napoli on the Wednesday then we're at City in the Saturday lunch time kick off. With the minimal recovery time maybe Wenget will have to rotate.

Munchies
26-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Shitty play Bayern away, on a tuesday though so they have a days extra rest , and its a meaningless game... ffs

milla
26-11-2013, 10:02 PM
We have Napoli on the Wednesday then we're at City in the Saturday lunch time kick off. With the minimal recovery time maybe Wenget will have to rotate.

There is not much room to rotate, maybe this weekend against Cardiff and midweek against Hull. But no way should we rest players vs Everton, Napoli and Citeh.

JonasTC
26-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Kinda having a wierd feeling after this game, we won and defended well... But how we managed to fuck up so many chances :s Should've won by 8 or smth like that.

Syn
26-11-2013, 10:10 PM
There is not much room to rotate, maybe this weekend against Cardiff and midweek against Hull. But no way should we rest players vs Everton, Napoli and Citeh.

The Napoli game is set up quite nicely for us. Napoli and Benitez will absolutely have to attack to beat us by 3 goals. And we just want the point to finish top and avoid the top teams. Send Flamini Arteta out there to break up their play, and get theo to run into the massive gaps they'll create by pushing forward. Meanwhile our midget technicians will be fresh for Man City.

Özil's Panoramic View
26-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Job well done, but it should have been a pasting by the time the ref blew the whistle ending the 1st half.

Great to see Ozil stepping up his game in the 2nd half. He's back!

Wilshere has been showing he has an eye for goal for a few games now - was rather unlucky to have the upright deny him when he chipped that one against Soton last Saturday - so no surprises about today's brace. :bow:

Ramsey has got to be one of the fittest players around at present. Can't think of another player who's had more minutes for the last twelve or so months, yet he never seems to tire. Offers so much going forward, and makes key tackles when we're on the defence.

Giroud was his usual hardworking self. Would have been nice to see him being rewarded with a goal today, but I reckon he'll be our hero after that crucial Naples encounter has ended.

Monreal put in a decent shift and it's great to see we have proper options for that LFB position.

Sir Ches - what can I say about this young man. Uber talented, top quality goalie and I'm sorry Cripps isn't around for me to :haha: at him.

Our CBs were their usual commanding and reassuring selves. Great to see that we aren't nervous these days once opponents get past the halfway mark. All our successes under Wenger were built on top quality defence lines and I'm of the belief that this pairing of BFG and Kos has something special in the making.

All in all, a most invaluable win, especially as BVB brushed aside Napoli on the day. Draw in Naples is enough to see us finish top now, so Come ON You Rip Roaring, CL Team Smashing Gunners. :scarf:

Syn
26-11-2013, 10:16 PM
@Arsenal: Wenger on @JackWilshere: 'He is starting to think 'what @aaronramsey can do, I can do too'" #AFCvMAR

Wenger :bow:

Syn
26-11-2013, 10:22 PM
There was a story leaked out that after the Man Utd game, Flamini had an argument with Viv Ackers about cutting the sleeves short on his shirt - think that was mainly because the shirts were being auctioned for charity after. Tonight he did it again and I don't think the club are too thrilled about it. Not sure why it's an issue but there you go.

@johncrossmirror: #afc I asked Wenger on Flamini cutting his sleeves. Wenger says he doesn't like it and it won't happen again

Munchies
26-11-2013, 10:26 PM
There was a story leaked out that after the Man Utd game, Flamini had an argument with Viv Ackers about cutting the sleeves short on his shirt - think that was mainly because the shirts were being auctioned for charity after. Tonight he did it again and I don't think the club are too thrilled about it. Not sure why it's an issue but there you go.

@johncrossmirror: #afc I asked Wenger on Flamini cutting his sleeves. Wenger says he doesn't like it and it won't happen again

Just let him play with short sleeves, whats the issue ?

McNamara That Ghost...
26-11-2013, 10:28 PM
BFG has some money to collect from you Mathieu.

Marc Overmars
26-11-2013, 10:30 PM

Yeah I read they all have to wear the same length shirts, which is decided by the captain on matchdays. I don't get it really, if someone is more comfortable in short sleeves then they should be allowed to wear it and not bloody have to cut the sleeves.

GP
26-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah, some club tradition going back literally thousands of years. Bit weird.

Özil's Panoramic View
26-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah I read they all have to wear the same length shirts, which is decided by the captain on matchdays. I don't get it really, if someone is more comfortable in short sleeves then they should be allowed to wear it and not bloody have to cut the sleeves.

Bit of an Arsenal tradition, apparently.

Marc Overmars
26-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Short sleeves and black boots, Flamini is being pretty traditional tbf.

Syn
26-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah I read they all have to wear the same length shirts, which is decided by the captain on matchdays.

The match day captain or the club captain?

So either Arteta is pissing off his competition - what a scumbag.

Or maybe this is Vermaelen's valuable contribution to the team.

Munchies
26-11-2013, 10:44 PM
What a non issue, its one player out of 11, hardly a big deal.

Just let him wear short sleeves if he says he prefers to play in short sleeves.

Penguin
26-11-2013, 10:53 PM
It's a silly tradition. Let him wear what he wants ffs

Syn
26-11-2013, 10:55 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibyoVfZzrsqmfb.gif

McNamara That Ghost...
26-11-2013, 10:58 PM
He tickled it.

Munchies
26-11-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDZuLDzG6Y

:haha:

--
Sir Ches has been pretty great for us recently, he had hardly anything to do till that point and unlike before, he's being more consistent now.

A Gunner
26-11-2013, 11:07 PM
The shirt thing is a tradition thing. I forgot what I was watching, but it was mentioned a few years back, we are the only club in the country to have to captain choose the length of sleeve, and everyone has to follow thing. And it's the team captain who chooses it, not the club captain.

Fist of Lehmann
26-11-2013, 11:11 PM

Missed opportunity there from The Wenfather.

Should have said: "Do it again, and I will blind you."

Munchies
26-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I just noticed the shirt thing right now, how long has this tradition been going on ? :haha:

:doh:

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Andy Townsend is a diseased vagina.

GP
26-11-2013, 11:32 PM
He is a blue waffle.

Munchies
26-11-2013, 11:35 PM
He is a blue waffle.

:lol:

I remember the opposite to that, a friend said do you want to eat at this restaurant 'special fried rice' , and gave the link to it. I thought it was the restaurants site...

:ilt:

Xhaka Can’t
26-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Oh god, I'm sorry I posted that.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Got back about an hour ago.

Comfortable, comfortable, comfortable.

Defence superb again. Mertescielny top notch.

Chesney brilliant.

Wilshere and Giroud the outstanding players tonight. Giroud doesn't stop working and Jack found his mojo.

Flamini protected the defence well.

So fucking proud of these boys.

As for Arsenal fans :bow:

Everytime stewards told us to sit down someone would shout 'STAND UP IF YOU HATE TOTTENHAM' and everyone would stand up again :haha:

Was standing all game pretty much.

Love it.

Master Splinter
27-11-2013, 02:08 AM
That was basically a training match until Valbuena and Thauvin came on.

I don't want to excuse the sloppy passes, the poor final balls/finishing and the continued presence of Mesut Arshavin, but sometimes an opponent is so poor and I suppose it devolves into something as odd as that.

It should really have been 5-0 at the very least though. Maybe it's not so important at this CL stage, but squandering the chance to boost the goal difference could be costly in the League. For all the progress the team has made over the last year, not killing teams off and hammering home our superiority is still a problem. It's unprofessional to just loiter around when you should be taking advantange of any situation.

Despite the underwhelmingness of it all, Ramsey, Wilshere, Giroud and the defence again were really good. Szczesny is so impressive at the moment and he will only get better. Maybe it's too early to say it definitively, but seeing Wilshere getting in to goal-scoring Ramsey-esque positions shows that it could be about to all click together for him too. Not that there was ever any doubt that he would regain his form again, but his actions in the final third are much improved.

Ramsey is just ridiculous now. He seems to pull out new tricks every game and they're all coming off. He's the centre of the team in every way currently. Giroud an absolute physical fulcrum. Sagna is probably playing the best football of his life. Sign him up FFS. And it's almost as enjoyable watching Koscielny and BFG nicking the ball off strikers and intercepting everything as it is seeing a triangle special outside the box.

With the team performing well, Ozil's lacklustre attitude and failure to even execute the basics can be somewhat overlooked, but if it continues it's a worry. He did improve slightly in the second half though.

Anyway, Arsenal :bow:.

fakeyank
27-11-2013, 02:19 AM
The shirt thing is a tradition thing. I forgot what I was watching, but it was mentioned a few years back, we are the only club in the country to have to captain choose the length of sleeve, and everyone has to follow thing. And it's the team captain who chooses it, not the club captain.

They tell you about it during the tour of the stadium.

Ralpheroo72
27-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Joey barton the bell end
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2514152/Barton-away-bleachers-cheer-Marseille--throws-dig-Arsenals-faithful-good-measure.html

Zerlathon
27-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Joey barton the bell end
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2514152/Barton-away-bleachers-cheer-Marseille--throws-dig-Arsenals-faithful-good-measure.html

The Guy makes me laugh (out of pity, not because he's actually funny) more than anything. The tool is crap at football, so the next best thing is to stay in the limelight by spouting bollocks. He kinda reminds me of a short-haired Carol Thatcher... with tits.

I am invisible
27-11-2013, 08:39 AM
At least he's stopped spouting off about Nietzsche - that's something...

Penguin
27-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Just saw the highlights again. Our finishing :haha:

Munchies
27-11-2013, 08:50 AM
The Guy makes me laugh (out of pity, not because he's actually funny) more than anything. The tool is crap at football, so the next best thing is to stay in the limelight by spouting bollocks. He kinda reminds me of a short-haired Carol Thatcher... with tits.

Barton is crap, and the reason he was starting in their team is a sign of how shite Marseille are now.

I am invisible
27-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Yeah, when did Jack Wilshere become our most clinical finisher? Great news for us though if he's finally found his scoring boots - that really was the only thing lacking from his game...

Power n Glory
27-11-2013, 09:03 AM
It looks like Wilshere is getting back to his best. Besides the very good goals, he's not losing the ball as much which is a good sign. Good to see he's able to play on the right if need be.

Power n Glory
27-11-2013, 09:13 AM
That was basically a training match until Valbuena and Thauvin came on.

I don't want to excuse the sloppy passes, the poor final balls/finishing and the continued presence of Mesut Arshavin, but sometimes an opponent is so poor and I suppose it devolves into something as odd as that.

It should really have been 5-0 at the very least though. Maybe it's not so important at this CL stage, but squandering the chance to boost the goal difference could be costly in the League. For all the progress the team has made over the last year, not killing teams off and hammering home our superiority is still a problem. It's unprofessional to just loiter around when you should be taking advantange of any situation.

Despite the underwhelmingness of it all, Ramsey, Wilshere, Giroud and the defence again were really good. Szczesny is so impressive at the moment and he will only get better. Maybe it's too early to say it definitively, but seeing Wilshere getting in to goal-scoring Ramsey-esque positions shows that it could be about to all click together for him too. Not that there was ever any doubt that he would regain his form again, but his actions in the final third are much improved.

Ramsey is just ridiculous now. He seems to pull out new tricks every game and they're all coming off. He's the centre of the team in every way currently. Giroud an absolute physical fulcrum. Sagna is probably playing the best football of his life. Sign him up FFS. And it's almost as enjoyable watching Koscielny and BFG nicking the ball off strikers and intercepting everything as it is seeing a triangle special outside the box.

With the team performing well, Ozil's lacklustre attitude and failure to even execute the basics can be somewhat overlooked, but if it continues it's a worry. He did improve slightly in the second half though.

Anyway, Arsenal :bow:.

I wouldn’t get drawn into that talk of killing teams off. The ITV pundits were pissing me off with all that talk. Nothing wrong with a comfortable victory and we’re not there to put on a spectacle for the pundits that continue to write us off. We were defensively solid and they keep overlooking that. Even if we put 5 or 6 past them they’d still have doubts about our chances winning anything so they can piss off. I thought it was an entertaining game.

Darknight02
27-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Completely agree.

I thought it was a professional performance and we did exactly what was required without having to expend excessive amounts of energy or risk injury.

Ozil - I can understand why everyone is concerned but he can produce a match-winning moment of quality in every game at any second and he's worth carrying for that reason. He had a poor game yesterday but he laid on an assist, could have scored a penalty, could have scored another with a lovely run and control for a shot that was saved, and could have scored if his touch hadn't left him after another great run. He also links our play and rarely loses the ball no matter how difficult it appears to conjure a pass.

One concern is that I genuinely think he's tired mentally and physically in terms of games played. And he's also adapting to a new league, a much more energetic and demanding league. I do hope Wenger does manage to rest him to give his some recovery.

Thrilled to see the job that Ramsey and Rosicky are doing. Ramsey has become the beating heart of the side. I've never seen him pull off the amount of tricks he has started to pull in the past month. Norwich, Southampton, Marseille. Fantastic skills all coming out. He played all over the park yesterday - as a defensive midfielder, as an attacking midfielder, as a playmaker in the number 10 role and as a winger. And he looks equally comfortable in all positions. Around the box he produced some lovely skills including winning a penalty. He made so many dinked Bergkamp-esque passes including two from which Ozil should really have scored. And he orchestrated the second goal finding Ozil in space. What a player.

Rosicky - I've elaborated on in another thread.

The defence is rock solid and Sir Ches is starting to dominate and impose his presence on games with his aura. Glad to see how well Monreal performed and to know we have solid back up available when required.

Giroud is the concern. Even yesterday we weren't able to substitute him and I really hope it doesn't take a toll on him in terms of injury.

All things otherwise considered, we need to keep going. The league isn't won against the big teams. Its won against the minor teams as it gives you leeway against the big guns. Onwards to Cardiff and another win. Come on you Gooners!

Letters
27-11-2013, 10:07 AM
It's nice to be confident going in to games like this and to enjoy watching them play again. Whatever happens this season it's going to be mostly enjoyable and we're miles ahead of where we were last year.

Not an outstanding display but good enough, I always felt we were playing within ourselves and could have stepped it up if need be. We got a bit sloppy at 2-0 and Chesney had to make a couple of good saves. Overall though, job done. On we go.

Slight concern about Özil, after a storming start to his Arsenal career he's gone off the boil a bit. Struggling to adjust to the pace of the English league, maybe? First half last night he was poor - summed up by his lack-lustre penalty. Never understand why players do the two step run up thing, they generally have it saved. He was much better 2nd half and pleased he set up the 2nd goal as he needs a bit of confidence.

Good to see Wilshere playing so well too. Even I got a bit caught up in the media storm recently and started to doubt his ability but last night he reminded me what he's capable of.

:scarf:

Marc Overmars
27-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Wenget has rotated Cazorla and Wheelchair but seems to be flogging Mesut Arshavin to death, probably giving him a crash course so he can adapt to intensity required over here. Good chance to give him a rest next week against Hull next week though if we wanted to.

I think the Christmas schedule may come as a bit of a shock to Mesut, so he needs to be managed well IMO.

Syn
27-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Agreed Moe. Will be the first time in a while there won't be a winter break for Ozil. I'd say Wenger will manage his fitness well but his track record isn't great on that front. That said, he hasn't really had a squad for a while where he starts with good players in every position and can still throw Walcott, Cazorla and Arteta on from the bench. Wenger did also say he will be forced to rotate until the Napoli game.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Someone made a brilliant point on twitter earlier.

Walcott, Cazorla and Arteta came on for Ozil, Rosicky and Wilshere.

That's quality subs coming on. And we still have Podolski and Chamberlain to come back too.

We finally have squad depth.

This is exciting.

Letters
27-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah. I noticed that. I'm a bit concerned about our squad depth up front but otherwise we have it in spades.

Fist of Lehmann
27-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Sloppy performance against a side that could barely muster a single fuck to give.
With the obvious exception of Bendtner I thought we lacked focus, we were not conscientious in our work.

Good win though, goal difference not an issue as it's only head-to-heads that count. That said, scoring is still good for morale so we should had buried them.

Plus we're pretty much through. Can't see any team putting 3 past this defence while keeping us out. Sorry Rafa. Is Facht.

Niall_Quinn
27-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Not so fast with the celebrations, seems things at the club are falling apart fast. Here's what the Daily Mail managed to pick as a headline from a night of European football:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2514132/Mathieu-Flamini-cut-Arsenal-sleeves-Arsene-Wenger-unhappy.html

Quality journalism.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Wenger: "I don't like that and he will not be doing that again."

Pussy Wenger has gone. Old Wenger is back :bow:

Taking no shit :bow:

Bumble
27-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Szczensy made another class save last night... we need him to make a howler soon otherwise Barca or Real will come sniffing around as neither have a quality keeper (as Cassilas doesnt play i think).

Marseilles were dreadful and it was so simple that the atmosphere was hard to keep up. Good to have Wilshere score though, should be good for confidence. Also will Walcott returning, and still Podolski and the Ox what is our strongest starting XI.

Özim
27-11-2013, 05:37 PM
We won that's all we needed to do, caught some of the 2nd half, wasn't great but didn't need to be.

mkkreuk
27-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Szczensy made another class save last night... we need him to make a howler soon otherwise Barca or Real will come sniffing around as neither have a quality keeper (as Cassilas doesnt play i think).

I like szczesny and think he will be a top keeper in a few years, but as things stand he is not better than Diego Lopez...

Master Splinter
27-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I wouldn’t get drawn into that talk of killing teams off. The ITV pundits were pissing me off with all that talk. Nothing wrong with a comfortable victory and we’re not there to put on a spectacle for the pundits that continue to write us off. We were defensively solid and they keep overlooking that. Even if we put 5 or 6 past them they’d still have doubts about our chances winning anything so they can piss off. I thought it was an entertaining game.

I fully agree that the pundits were completely off the mark, as ever. Last night it was fine and probably wise to conserve energy with the run of games coming up. I was suggesting that it could prove costly in the League. We've seen it too many times in the past where we ease off when ahead and don't make certain that a game is over. City have a stupidly good goal difference at the moment and we know it's proved beneficial for them in very recent history.

Ollie the Optimist
27-11-2013, 07:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaGK8pPIIAAesW3.jpg:large

what a great photo.

Arsene Wenger :bow:

Bumble
27-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Amazing really we have same points at city and more than Chelsea and united and yet are the only English club not through to the knock outs!!!

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-11-2013, 05:38 PM
The Ox had a set back and is back in the new year mate.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Regarding Flamini's sleeves, he clearly knows about the tradition as he has been at the club long enough before this current stint & return. He used to roll them up if my memory serves well.

He could just as well easily do so again instead of taking his scissors out of his little boot bag / hair preening / cosmetics bag and cutting them.

I remember Lehmann taking Bendtner's hat off his head in the dressing room and telling him it was rude to wear a hat inside. You won't be surprised to know there weren't many gooners demanding Bendtner can do as he likes or outraged by Lehmann's actions. :d

Good to be surprised when Ramsey failed to score the chance he had. Ozil will and should play through the jadedness (soo didn't want to use that word and surprised it even is one).

Ironically Wilshere benefited from playing way way out of position and we shouldn't forget that this was one of those odd occasions when players playing elsewhere actually reaps rewards. We are usually and rightfully I might add, against it.

On Ozil, let's not forget that he came here partly because he felt he had the 'trust' of the manager in footballing terms. Suddenly dropping him may not translate well, particularly when you consider Wenger himself has alluded to him needing time to fully acclimatise and famously citing the '6 months settling period' for new players.

Having said that, Wenger is manically obsessed with fitness levels to the point he refused to play Podolski a full 90 up until recently, so he will drop/rest (delete as you will) him when he feels he physically needs a rest eventually. He has also set this up well with his words about rotation recently too.

Dein-machine
29-11-2013, 12:49 PM
We won a game against opposition comparable to a Div 1 side. Tbf we haven't played well since the Liverpool game. When I say well, I don't mean lots & lots of passes in non-threatening area's, I mean good attacking football. I thought we were poor against Palace, Manure & Southampton in that area & against Dortmund we did a smash & grab. Ozil doesn't need resting, he needs players making forward runs to help get his game going. At the moment he has Giroud or Ramsey to look for, the rest of it is going backwards. It concerns me that we don't have a natural leader out there pushing us forward when we have a 1 goal lead. How many times last year did we throw away a lead after playing too deep & negatively. We weren't good enough defensivley, therefore we needed to get the 2nd goal. I see that again this year, but we are better at the back & Sir Ches had made some great saves at 1-0 ie Palace. We need to far more aggresive when we get a lead. When a team with our current reputation goes infront it should frighten the opposition as to what comes next. We seem to sit back on leads, start passing a ball about negatively against shit opposition. We need to be more aggresive when we're the dominant team. We see Wenger say this time & time agian after games like Tuesday but I never see him off his seat pushing his players forward. We could have played 3 at the back for all the problems Marsaille caused us, they were shit defensively & yet it took us over a hour to score the 2nd goal. Quality players like Ozil & Santi need to be fed inside or around the box, they seem to be playing most of their attacking football 30 yards from goal.