PDA

View Full Version : The quality of L'il Mozart

Darknight02
27-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I just wanted to gauge some of you guys (and gals) thoughts regarding Rosicky. His best years for us were robbed by his injury unfortunately but there was no doubting the level of his class and quality - most of Dortmund's younger players (e.g. Reus) still quote him as their hero and he was their player of the year when he led them to the Bundesliga and Uefa Cup titles.

In his early career with us before his injury he never played in the playmaker role unfortunately. But since his full recovery from injury for the past three seasons, he's been one of the best attacking players we've had in driving us to fourth place consistently.

This season the biggest difference is that he's started like that and in my opinion, Ramsey aside, is our best midfield player. He's probably our most intelligent midfielder along with Ozil. And he's got qualities that noone else in our team offers.

He accelerates the game and increases the tempo to such a level with his passing and movement and that sudden burst of acceleration and pace he has over the first ten yards and the fact that he can pull the strings from any part of the midfield including hassling and making tackles is brilliant. Of course the biggest issue is that he is 33 and no longer a spring chicken but he doesn't seem to be showing it. Against Dortmund he was phenomenal in terms of his energy, work rate and running.

I do think that Wenger has a clear plan in mind to use him in the most important games and I'm pretty sure Wenger will rest him at every opportunity in the minor games. Its no surprise that he has started him in all out Champion's League games until now. I do think that it was a shame him and Mertesacker weren't fit for that United game because had they been I really do believe we'd have started with a far quicker tempo and taken the game to them in the first half.

I really hope the guy continues to play his part and helps us to a trophy this year so his time at Arsenal can be a success. Rated all over Europe as one of the finest playmakers before he came here and following his injury problems, has become such an underrated player over the past few years in my opinion.

Marc Overmars
27-11-2013, 10:12 AM
He gets about the pitch well, makes important tackles and can often begin attacks with his little bursts.

I used to think he was a spare part but now I think he's a pretty valuable asset for the squad. His fitness issues mean he probably can't play every game back to back, but on the flip side I think that makes him the perfect player to rotate and keep the likes of Cazorla and Wheelchair fresh, which is how Wenget has been using him. He seems happy with the role as well which means it's vital we give him a contract extension.

Syn
27-11-2013, 10:44 AM
His 2 year extension a while back was one of the best value for money deals that Wenger has done. Sometimes being a squad player is tricky because when you're in and out every odd game it's difficult to get a rhythm going. Can't imagine someone like Koscielny or Walcott ever making good squad players because they need a run of games before they find some form. Rosicky seems to play on and off but fits like a glove every time. A guaranteed 7/10 for him.

Last night I think his execution on passes was well below par but some of his ideas were unique. Should be one of those players that can keep going for another 3-4 years at the top level because the game is mostly played in his head.

Power n Glory
27-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Good post, Darkknight. Rosicky makes such a difference to the squad. He’s one of my favourites. He’s always aware of his surroundings and knows what he’s going to do with the ball before receiving it. Makes such a huge difference to our tempo and pace when on the pitch. It’s a damn shame we never got to see him and Cesc operating in the middle of the park. Besides his awareness and crisp passing, he’s no slouch in the tackle. He’s a real talent and a must keep.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I was chatting to the guy next to me last night and we agreed that Rosicky's one of a few that changes the tempo of our game.

He gets better with age, perhaps because he knows how to treat his body better.

I'd love him to be our Giggs. He seems to understand the values of playing for the Arsenal, always putting in a shift and getting the crowd going.

I remember the way we slaughtered him after the 8-2 when he couldn't even be bothered to turn around everytime a free kick went over his head. How he's turned it around. Top man.

Master Splinter
27-11-2013, 07:03 PM
That pass he swung across to the right-wing (to Sagna, I think) with his back to the play was great in summing up how he's always looking to keep the speed of our play up and how inventive he is with his distribution.

As Lawro said, he can't tackle though, so sell him.

Munchies
27-11-2013, 07:10 PM
He's one of my favourite players we've had in the post FA cup trophy era.

I was really excited when we signed him, he has all the natural ability in the world.

Losing him to injuries over the years was really annoying, but he's just as good as he was. He's a great player to have either on the pitch or on the bench in terms of squad depth.

Running in the opposite direction to Giroud to celebrate in front of the spuds after the Giroud goal:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZC2jcwCIAAUHj_.jpg

Syn
27-11-2013, 07:20 PM
That pass he swung across to the right-wing (to Sagna, I think) with his back to the play was great in summing up how he's always looking to keep the speed of our play up and how inventive he is with his distribution.

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/D5rxw.gif

Master Splinter
27-11-2013, 07:25 PM
You appear to be the new GIF king.

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I partially agree with DK in that we were robbed of the best of Rosicky. It is a personal tragedy for him that he spent a large part of his prime years on the treatment table. Rosicky is and always has been an exceptionally talented footballer with an incredibly sharp football mind. Had he been fit throughout his prime, I believe he would have gone on to become one of the world's top footballers.

Whether he'd have been playing at the top level wearing an Arsenal shirt is a matter for debate. Given our transfer strategy over the past decade, I reckon had he been fit, he'd have been gone. This isn't a criticism of the player, it is an observation based upon the strategy of our Club.

Hopefully he/we can turn what was an unfulfilled career around over the next season or two. If we are to go on and win something this season or next, I think Rosicky will be a key part in anything we achieve. He still has the talent, the mind and the will. He also seems to be able to manage his body better, avoiding injuries. The only thing against him now is his age. If he can stay fit until the end of the season and beyond, he will be one of our key players and a wonderful player to have in the team.

I still remember many years back, watching him have an amazing first half against Villa. His performance was mindblowing. He stood out even amongst some of the great talents we had on the field that day. Then he got a knock in the second half and he was out. This pretty much sums up his Arsenal career. I hope he finally overcomes what has been an injury plagued career by lifting the Premiership trophy.

selassie
28-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I have always rated Tommy. As others have stated his injury problems have blighted his career both here and in Dortmund.

Despite all of that, he has been playing at quite a high level for the past couple of seasons and is a very valuable member of our squad, not a spare part, a very good player to bring into the team or off the bench.

He's quite a multi-functional player too, looks happy on the wings and in Central Midfield.

IBK
29-11-2013, 09:50 AM
I was chatting to the guy next to me last night and we agreed that Rosicky's one of a few that changes the tempo of our game.

He gets better with age, perhaps because he knows how to treat his body better.

I'd love him to be our Giggs. He seems to understand the values of playing for the Arsenal, always putting in a shift and getting the crowd going.

I remember the way we slaughtered him after the 8-2 when he couldn't even be bothered to turn around everytime a free kick went over his head. How he's turned it around. Top man.

Nail on head, for me. IMO he's become such an important component, as given our passing, possession game, we need to play at a high tempo to be at our best, and with teams getting bodies behind the ball, we can get bogged down otherwise. Rosicky, along with Wilshere has become vital in achieving this, and of the two, Rosicky's been more effective for us this season. long may he continue!

Japan Shaking All Over
29-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I can remember some doubting his worth due to the time spent in the sick room and there was talk of him moving on. Wenger got this one right, by keeping him we have kept a quality player who is showing his worth to the squad and can in no way of being accused of being a leech (NicB cough cough)

IBK
29-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I can remember some doubting his worth due to the time spent in the sick room and there was talk of him moving on. Wenger got this one right, by keeping him we have kept a quality player who is showing his worth to the squad and can in no way of being accused of being a leech (NicB cough cough)

He got Dutch Skunk right too - is he right about Diaby?

JonasTC
29-11-2013, 06:33 PM
He got Dutch Skunk right too - is he right about Diaby?

Time will tell... A Diaby in shape has the potential to be world class

Power n Glory
29-11-2013, 06:39 PM
I think he'd be one of the top midfielders in the league if it wasn't for the injuries.

Marc Overmars
29-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Can't ever really see Diaby getting over his injury problems, the severity of the injuries he sustains are ridiculous.

Hopefully he does recover one day, he could be a great asset for us.

Japan Shaking All Over
01-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Paddy V M2 he is not nor will be but I do think he has potential if only he could get the injury demon off his back....hard to see him starting though, better to have around than the likes of Denilson et all

Dr Singh
01-12-2013, 10:32 AM
He's a great squad player to have.

In Monreal, Rosicky, Wilshere, Flamini.... and arguably Chamberlain and Podolski, we are assembling a group of squad players who can slot into the first team with absolutely no loss of quality. Our squad strength is severely under-rated. We may not have high numbers, but our quality is undoubtedly there.

Rosicky doesn't play like a 33 year old. I reckon he still has another 2 years in him. Hopefully he can stick around for long enough to entice Reus to join us.

Penguin
01-12-2013, 10:52 AM
The problem with Diaby is that he needs a run of games to get into form. He can't come back after months out injured and hit the ground running, unlike Rosicky who can read the minds of our mids like he's been playing with them for 10 years.

GP
01-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure it's even worth considering Diaby as a squad member any more.

Master Splinter
04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Hope Diaby recovers.

Big fan of his awesome Diaby turn/aimless Diaby wander combo I am.