PDA

View Full Version : Wenger hits out at MOTD

Syn
03-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy just giving opinions with nothing factual to back them up says leaders' manager

Wenger said: “Sometimes I watch it (Match of The Day), sometimes not. Sometimes it’s just someone saying their opinion without an argument on something. That can make sense. But if it’s something based on hate or love, or just gut feeling then I just say, ‘Okay, it’s an opinion - he might be right, he might be wrong.’

“Often, he [the pundit] doesn’t sustain his opinion by some work he has done to support that argument.

“Of course (I have gleaned things from a pundit) - if you make an article tomorrow saying, ‘I think Arsenal will win the championship because of that, this or that' or 'Arsenal will not win the championship because of something else. Look at these numbers or statistics, they always repeat the same mistake’ or offer something that is in there.

“If you just say, ‘Arsenal will win the championship' or 'Arsenal won’t win the championship because they haven’t won it for eight years’, then I think it’s just an opinion.

“When I arrived here, people explained I couldn’t win the title as I am foreign. Everybody has their own logic.

"I just think you win the title through your quality. If we didn’t win for eight years it is because we weren’t good enough in the important moments of the season. We have a good opportunity to show we are good enough, so let’s take it.”

Wenger also dismissed Hansen’s savaging of Arsenal’s defending in their victory at Crystal Palace in October, drawing comparisons with a similar mistake against Everton in January 2010.

The Gunners' boss clearly remembered the piece of analysis, which came after Mikel Arteta was sent off at Palace when their opponents hit them on the break.

“You can find that. One specific incident,” said Wenger. “It was right on the night - we were caught on the counter from a corner. Gibbs went forward, but he was supposed to be at the back.

“The ball was kicked to him and he went forward, and we were caught on the counter-attack, and it ended up with Arteta being sent off. It was an accident but it was, a little bit, the desire for us to play.

“I have enough experience to analyse what we do and how well we play. I don’t need someone else to tell me. I’m not upset by that at all.”

“The only thing that is changing is not our mind, it’s your mind,” said Wenger. “Because until now you never ask me about the pressure, because you always thought it was an accident that we are there (top) and it won’t last.

“Now that it’s lasting a bit longer, you start to think, ‘We have to consider them a bit more seriously.’ You start to think, 'Is it a pressure for you?'

"No. We just continue to play well and that’s the pressure we have - the desire to play well.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenals-arsene-wenger-hits-back-2879324#ixzz2mSSyXUdH

:haha:

That was little bit silently venomous.

Syn
03-12-2013, 11:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWO0mtwpjO8

Marc Overmars
04-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Wenget. :bow:

MOTD. :lol:

I remember that show.

GP
04-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Shearer would be crying himself to sleep if he understood a word of it.

fakeyank
04-12-2013, 04:47 AM

That was little bit silently venomous.

Vinegar should use this to fire up the squad. Especially the Gary Lineker cunt act!

McNamara That Ghost...
04-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Red Wenger standing up for the license fee payers. :bow:

He's right though. I can't understand how the people appearing on it are allowed to get away with offering nothing substantial at all.

We conceded that goal in 2010 though!

AFC Leveller
04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Alan "two banks of 4, power, pace" Hansen is and will always be bitter.

Master Splinter
04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Remember that one time Everton caught Arsenal on the counter-attack? They were the first and only team to ever be caught like that.

Remember that one time Flamini wasn't in a perfect defensive position to cover the threat of five opposition players who weren't actually that threatening in a game that Arsenal won comfortably?

Arsenal conceded for the first time from a corner all season. Zonal sux man. LoL just lol @ Arsenal's weak underbelly.

BOBN
04-12-2013, 11:47 AM
If you aint watching MOTD via Sky+ and fast-forwarding through all the talking bits youre doing it wrong.

A one hour and a half highlight show? :haha:

Power n Glory
04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
If you aint watching MOTD via Sky+ and fast-forwarding through all the talking bits youre doing it wrong.

A one hour and a half highlight show? :haha:

:gp:

Xhaka Can’t
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
What Bonbon said. In fact I just watch the Arsenal bit and that is it for me.

It really is a putrid programme.

Marc Overmars
04-12-2013, 01:15 PM
:gp:

+1

Letters
04-12-2013, 01:16 PM
I tend to only watch the Arsenal bit but if Spurs/Utd/City/Chelsea get a kicking I might watch that bit too.
Sky+ :bow:
Fast forward button :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
If I didn't watch what they said, I wouldn't know to have a good heart laugh when they get it horrendously wrong, which is often. Plus I pay for it so I have to really. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25212939

Short video in the link showing their recent doubts.

Munchies
04-12-2013, 01:25 PM
If I didn't watch what they said, I wouldn't know to have a good heart laugh when they get it horrendously wrong, which is often. Plus I pay for it so I have to really. :(

Bigger tests to come :bow:

GP
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Match of the Day is turgid shit and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Why do they never get anyone knowledgeable on there? It's always ex-players who are, to be honest, thick.

Munchies
04-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Why do they never get anyone knowledgeable on there? It's always ex-players who are, to be honest, thick.

Pretty much.

Heck, why do they even need anyone, just show more from the matches

Marc Overmars
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
It will be interesting to see if they respond on tonights show.

They certainly will if we slip up I imagine. :rolleyes:

BOBN
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
It will be interesting to see if they respond on tonights show.

They certainly will if we slip up I imagine. :rolleyes:
Theyll laugh it off.

Hanscum doesnt want it with Wenger inside or outside the studio.

footloose, the wanderer
04-12-2013, 02:24 PM
I tend to only watch the Arsenal bit but if Spurs/Utd/City/Chelsea get a kicking I might watch that bit too.
Sky+ :bow:
Fast forward button :bow:

I enjoy butt kicking of Mancs/Chavs/Spuds as much as watching good gooner action

footloose, the wanderer
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Shearer is a 100 carat ass!

footloose, the wanderer
04-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Different format needed probably..... Lee Dixon v Robbie Savage - each brings in a guest each - shake it up baby!

Syn
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Ex-players should be better than they have been at talking about football stuff. Shearer has been one of the best strikers in England, he should be able to make some clever in-the-know comments about a striker's movement or what they're doing right or wrong.

Not just "And look at him run freely there...ok he falls over, but look at him get up...alright he looks injured, but look at him walking off to the touchline...ok, so he needs a stretcher, but..."

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
The problem is a lot of them are ex alcoholics, druggies and general thickheads. At least on programmes like sunday supplement you have degree level knowledge being transmitted to the audience.

Even though most of them haven't kicked a ball, they are brilliant at analysing football. It just goes to show that it's not about experience but using your brain. Most footballers have low IQ's and don't do the latter, hence why their analysis is shit.

Shaqiri Is Boss
04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Different format needed probably..... Lee Dixon v Robbie Savage - each brings in a guest each - shake it up baby!

Wait, your solution is more Robbie Savage?

Letters
04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Being able to play football well is no indication of being able to articulate or analyse the game well or even tell others how to play it well.
Super top, top quality players rarely make super top, top quality managers.
The trouble is pundits tend to be picked purely on the basis that they used to play the game.
So are managers actually.

Meh.

Syn
04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
They don't need to be particularly clever otherwise. With someone like Shearer they were obviously clever enough on the pitch. All they need to do is just tell people what they would've done if they were in the striker's position. Which he should know because he was able to do it. Should work. In theory.

Being a manager is obviously different - requires being able to motivate people and how to improve your squad and all that.

Özim
04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Venga knows!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
05-12-2013, 01:05 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-11555-Thailand-beach-massage-pSZK.gif

Power n Glory
05-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Maybe it’s because he’s the lead presenter but I forget that Gary Lineker was a striker playing at the top level. I also agree about the intelligence part. They should know their profession in and out. It’s amazing that they’ve played and studied the role of a striker since childhood and can’t offer any insight into what should be happening on the pitch or even how the position has evolved in recent years. You don’t need a to be super sharp to be cab driver but if you’ve been doing it for 20 odd years, I’d expect you know key locations, streets and best routes. They really need to shake up the show and get better pundits in.

GP
05-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Shearer is the absolute worst and it actually angers me that's paid a lot of money to offer nothing at all.

Literally all he does is describe the action on the screen.

'He's hit it with his left foot and it's gone in the corner'

Thanks, Alan, I'm glad you were here to point that out.

Grebbo
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
MOTD is ful of nobheads but to be fair Arsenal haven't beaten a title challenger for a couple of seasons have we? We had a great opportunity to make a statement and beat Man U at their place but we fucked it up. I thought we were dire because let's face it - Man U are there for the taking at the moment.

Until we beat a title challenger the critics wont shut up. What they seemingly fail to realise though is we can win the league without having to beat Man U/City/Chavs - it's beating all the other teams that wins you the league.

Zerlathon
05-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't find MOTD entertaining in the slightest. I only really watch the Arsenal bit (only if I missed the game) and don't even bother with the cuntits afterwards.

Nearly 1/3 of the way through the Season with a 4 point margin at the top, and they still feel Arsenal have no chance... GTFO!

Dein-machine
05-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Agreed - great player but shit pundit. If he has the answer to all teams tactical problems why was he useless at Newcastle. At least Robbie Fowler reckons we can win it, big thanks to Jack for sending him a little parcel to bribe him.

Ollie the Optimist
05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
its not the fact that they say Arsenal won't win the league that annoys me, its the fact that they just stick to outdated views formed years ago and refuse to acknowledge recent form. they say arsenal won't win because back in 2008 this happened, and refuse to accept that things could change.

we aren't asking them to say we will win the league, all we are asking is that they look at current form instead of things that happened years ago

Power n Glory
05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
That's why I can't stand watching them talk. They're still talking like we're frail at the back and haven't acknowledged the Merts and Kos partnership. Do they even rate Merts? I wouldn't be surprised if they start coming up with the old 'Arsenal don't like it up em' nonsense or we need a solid DM to sit and protect the back four.

Marc Overmars
05-12-2013, 11:07 PM
That's why I can't stand watching them talk. They're still talking like we're frail at the back and haven't acknowledged the Merts and Kos partnership. Do they even rate Merts? I wouldn't be surprised if they start coming up with the old 'Arsenal don't like it up em' nonsense or we need a solid DM to sit and protect the back four.

You can bet if they did talk about Merts they'd attempt to discredit him for his lack of pace. That's how simple they are.

GP
05-12-2013, 11:08 PM
He's slow, he's not quick, he's not got pace...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
05-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Enough about his penis. What about Mertesacker?

selassie
06-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Shearer is the absolute worst and it actually angers me that's paid a lot of money to offer nothing at all.

Literally all he does is describe the action on the screen.

'He's hit it with his left foot and it's gone in the corner'

Thanks, Alan, I'm glad you were here to point that out.

Yep, the funny thing is Shearer backs Chelsea to the hilt and talks about them like they have been strongly challenging the past few years, Chelsea finished what 2 points ahead of us last season? The season before we finished 3 places above them. Sure, Chelsea win stuff...but there really isn't anything between us and them these days even though they still spend money like it's going out of fashion. Their core is past it too.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-12-2013, 03:21 AM
It is a wonder that anyone on this board watches the show with how maligned it is. I don't watch it religiously as I once did many moons ago but being on this board and the level of discussion and references to it has encouraged me to do so.

I don't always understand why it gets so much debate. I am a little like Arseblog (arsenal blogger for those not privy) in that I am happy to admit often being a very petty and small minded man. I would like nothing more than Arsenal to win the league having had to endure 99% of pundits convince the world we never had a chance. If they just go on the charm offensive until we will do it it won't be nearly as enjoyable. Who will we laud it over.... I want to rub their filthy noses in it!

How much do people think Manure fans enjoy the fact Hansen was wrong about his 'you never win anything with kids line'? They will still be taunting the Scotsman about it at his funeral.

Moreover, I quite enjoy Hansen with his Scots accent absolutely tearing apart the failings of a teams defence. That mostly isn't us these days as we have the best record in the league. Yes he will have his turn at trying to rip us a new one, when our Zonal system fails once in 100 attempts but refer back to my first point. The more they try to ridicule us the sweeter any success is.

Xhaka Can’t
06-12-2013, 08:32 AM
its not the fact that they say Arsenal won't win the league that annoys me, its the fact that they just stick to outdated views formed years ago and refuse to acknowledge recent form. they say arsenal won't win because back in 2008 this happened, and refuse to accept that things could change.

we aren't asking them to say we will win the league, all we are asking is that they look at current form instead of things that happened years ago

This is the crux of it all. I don't care whether or not they think we will/can win the League. But from such a show, you generally have a combined level of experience at the top level in football of ~30 years between the host and the panelists. And they are extremely well rewarded with our money.

But where is the insight or analysis? It is non existent. I'm not looking for them to say nice or nasty things about us or any other team. I'd just like them to do a decent job and if they can't do that, just revert back to the 70s type style with someone introducing each of the matches with a post match interview or two and leave it at that because the studio section of the show is an embarrassment to the BBC.

Penguin
06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Apart from the big matches they probably don't even watch the matches. They base their opinions on the highlights which doesn't always give you an accurate picture of the game. That's why they regurgitate the same old story every time they analyse our games, and why they still haven't cottoned onto our improved defence and resilience.

That said I don't think they're completely wrong about us either. We arguably had the strongest XI in the 2007/08 season but we couldn't maintain our performances over the whole season. We lost our lead in March after 4 draws in a row. I don't think we bottled it, we just ran out of steam and didn't have squad depth in key areas.

The Ogg Monster
06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I get the feeling Lineker really digs the gooners but is the host and is supposed to be neutral.

As for Shearer and Hanson, fuck em, when we win it it'll be sweet, they'll cry us a river on prime time.

LDG
06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I get the feeling Lineker really digs the gooners but is the host and is supposed to be neutral.

As for Shearer and Hanson, fuck em, when we win it it'll be sweet, they'll cry us a river on prime time.

You mean ex-spuddy, lillywhited fuck muncher, Lineker? A secret Gooner?

Yeah, Hansen is an Everton fan you know.

The Ogg Monster
06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah thats right. Jug-eared cunt Lineker loves us. Hes always bigging us up and asking when ppl will realise we're tearing this league a new asshole.

Hes a gooner at heart he was only in bed with spurs for the dollar.

LDG
06-12-2013, 10:48 AM
:lol:

Fair enough.

I still reckon he's a twunt though.

The Ogg Monster
06-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Nah but old Links is a great presenter.

Hes got genuine personality and his stupid puns when summing up are poetry.

Danny Murphy on the other hand looks like hes on the show for community service for wifebeating offences.

Letters
06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I quite like Lineker

Not as much as Teddy, obviously :loveblush:

LDG
06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
I quite like Lineker

Seriously.

What is wrong with you.

The list keeps growing, and you still have no shame :lol:

Letters
06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
:lol: I saw some documentary about him (Lineker) where he said how his agent said to him when he was in his mid-twenties that he should start to think about what he wanted to do after football, he thought about it and decided he might like to be in the media so he started watching how it worked behind the scenes. Kinda admire him for that, he's obviously got a few brain cells to rub together.

GP
06-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I quite like Lineker

You should be killed.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
You only have to watch 20 minutes of MNF and compare it to MOTD to see the difference. It's a massive gulf in class.

Marc Overmars
06-12-2013, 12:10 PM
MOTD2 is the better show. Less games to cover which means more analysis and there's always been a more light hearted feel to it.

Master Splinter
06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
But Dublin.

Xhaka Can’t
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Danny Murphy on the other hand looks like hes on the show for community service for wifebeating offences.
Brilliant!

Marc Overmars
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
But Dublin.

:lol:

He's a weirdo but I never really feel like he's got an agenda or reading from the same narrative.

Özil's Panoramic View
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Nah but old Links is a great presenter.

Hes got genuine personality and his stupid puns when summing up are poetry.

Where's the spit coffee smiley when you need one?

Power n Glory
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
This is the crux of it all. I don't care whether or not they think we will/can win the League. But from such a show, you generally have a combined level of experience at the top level in football of ~30 years between the host and the panelists. And they are extremely well rewarded with our money.

But where is the insight or analysis? It is non existent. I'm not looking for them to say nice or nasty things about us or any other team. I'd just like them to do a decent job and if they can't do that, just revert back to the 70s type style with someone introducing each of the matches with a post match interview or two and leave it at that because the studio section of the show is an embarrassment to the BBC.

That's how I feel about it. They'd save money if they cut the panel part. The anti Arsenal stuff doesn't bother me.