PDA

View Full Version : Julian Draxler Thread

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-01-2014, 04:10 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/092009/1253885876_suicide.gif

Maestro
15-01-2014, 05:09 PM
would go mental if we signed him, would love him here but should we really do this to ourselves ...your gif says it all

milla
15-01-2014, 05:12 PM

That's how they did to JFK tbh. :coffee:

Dein-machine
15-01-2014, 05:18 PM
How can buying one of the worlds best footballing prospects at the age of 20 be anything other than the way forward. Doesn't matter what position he plays in, he is already & will be a better player than Wheelchair, Cazorla is very hit & miss, Rosicky isn't the future. I could see him & Rambo becoming a dream attacking midfield team with a world class DM behind them. If we're not going to invest heavily in a proper goalscoring forward, then we are going to need midfielders who score alot of goals, only Rambo is doing that regularly from midfield & we have now lost Theo's annual contribution.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-01-2014, 05:18 PM
We really don't need to see that GIF. As for the thread, :(.

Come home Draxler. Your dad is waiting.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2012/6/21/1340295634758/Laurent-Koscielny--008.jpg

milla
15-01-2014, 05:20 PM
How can buying one of the worlds best footballing prospects at the age of 20 be anything other than the way forward. Doesn't matter what position he plays in, he is already & will be a better player than Wheelchair, Cazorla is very hit & miss, Rosicky isn't the future. I could see him & Rambo becoming a dream attacking midfield team with a world class DM behind them. If we're not going to invest heavily in a proper goalscoring forward, then we are going to need midfielders who score alot of goals, only Rambo is doing that regularly from midfield & we have now lost Theo's annual contribution.

:gp:

fakeyank
15-01-2014, 05:27 PM
:lol:

This thread :rose:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-01-2014, 05:28 PM

To be fair, we can't complain if we spend £80m in 2 transfer windows. For years we cried at the underinvestment but this would certainly show a new direction in terms of our spending policy.

The only thing is, why take a risk by trying to turn a midfielder into a striker at a critical point of the season? Will it happen overnight? Probably not. Hence many being unhappy with the idea. Sign a decent striker and we win the league. Simple. But I won't sit here and complain if Draxler comes. This is what we always wanted.

I am invisible
15-01-2014, 05:39 PM
No problems - we can just balance it out by buying Costa and playing him on the wing. This management lark is easy...

milla
15-01-2014, 05:59 PM
No problems - we can just balance it out by buying Costa and playing him on the wing. This management lark is easy...

Buy Costa and loan him to Barnet. :coffee:

Ollie the Optimist
15-01-2014, 07:39 PM
if spurs sell holtby to shalke which allows us to sign Draxler during the same season that they sold bale to allow us to sign Ozil, they should probably just give up football

Marc Overmars
15-01-2014, 07:43 PM
How good is this guy? I've only seen snippets of him from CL highlight shows, can't ever recall watching him properly.

JonasTC
15-01-2014, 08:38 PM
ScoutNationHD just uploaded this compilation of him... The assist he does 2min in, is all i need to know about him :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaj8yOkcA0

Niall_Quinn
15-01-2014, 08:50 PM
How good is this guy? I've only seen snippets of him from CL highlight shows, can't ever recall watching him properly.

Good enough to prompt the fans to hire a fleet of trucks and paint slogans on the side so they could taunt the opponents who tried to sign him, apparently. If Wenger wants him he'll either be very, very good or very, very shit. I think they'd have a nerve to want £40mill for a very, very shit player so on balance I suppose he's very, very good. Like most, I suspect, I;ve hardly seen him play. He looked okay on the few occasions I've watched him.

dazthegooner
15-01-2014, 08:57 PM
The kid has talent and as said he's only 20 if we get him I think it would be a fantastic signing

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-01-2014, 09:59 PM
I've seen people say he's the best young player in the world and that he has the potential to be as good as Messi.

They're probably way over-exaggerating but if people even think to say that then it surely speaks volumes about his ability.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-01-2014, 10:08 PM
He's not that good but you're only going to get harmed comparing players to Messi really. :lol:

Draxler if anything, will probably more like Ronaldo as a player but he's 20, so just sign him and get him in the Wenfer lab.

I am invisible
15-01-2014, 11:04 PM
When I first saw some of the earlier clips of him my first thought was 'German Bale' (probably because he was always on the left or in midfield) - he seemed to have that same marauding style when he got going, and when he scored it was nothing but worldies and screamers. But looking at some if these new clips, I can definitely see elements of a striker in there.

That being said, I'm not as convinced as some that that would be our plan for him? I suspect we might end up using him in much the same way as he's currently used at Shalke, and still look for another CF?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-01-2014, 12:36 AM
He's not that good but you're only going to get harmed comparing players to Messi really. :lol:

Draxler if anything, will probably more like Ronaldo as a player but he's 20, so just sign him and get him in the Wenfer lab.

Well I don't want him then. If he's only going to be as good as Ronaldo we might as well keep Miyaichi.

Japan Shaking All Over
16-01-2014, 06:38 AM
And talk in the Mirror is that Levy is trying to veto any move by Holtby back to Germany so to scupper our hopes if landing JD......it's like he believes his Scum team are direct rivals to us :doh: !!!!

AKBapologist
16-01-2014, 08:33 AM
That's bollocks, he's only injured for 10 days too.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Well I don't want him then. If he's only going to be as good as Ronaldo we might as well keep Miyaichi.

That's not exactly what I said tbf.

PGFC
16-01-2014, 09:08 AM
So, rumour has it that Levy is blocking Holtbys move to Schalke in a bid stop us from getting Draxler, priceless, a chairman more concerned about what we do than what his own club is doing :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
16-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I was a bit dubious we'd get Draxler but now Levy is involved it's a sure thing! Welcome to Arsenal Julian and thanks as always Danny boy!

BOBN
16-01-2014, 12:42 PM
How many prodical young Germans can there possibly be at the end of the day. Makes you wonder why they havent just blown everybody away in the last few tournaments.

In football, we have fashions. Scottish and Iberian managers are popular because of Fergie and Mourinho, and C level Spanish players like Llorente and Mata have taken clubs for bucketloads, trading on their nationalities.

This guy could quite easily be the Steward Downing of German football.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Even if he is, Bayern Munich would still buy him from us.

selassie
16-01-2014, 01:27 PM
From what I have seen of him he looks very very good, he's very highly regarded in Germany, he's seen as one of their most exciting talents and they have plenty of them!

He's quick, technically excellent, a great dribbler, decent shot, fairly strong too.

I would love it if we signed him because I truly believe Wenger will develop him into a World Class Player.

He's had a couple of seasons in Bundesliga and has done well, also has done well in CL.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-01-2014, 01:30 PM
How many prodical young Germans can there possibly be at the end of the day. Makes you wonder why they havent just blown everybody away in the last few tournaments.

In football, we have fashions. Scottish and Iberian managers are popular because of Fergie and Mourinho, and C level Spanish players like Llorente and Mata have taken clubs for bucketloads, trading on their nationalities.

This guy could quite easily be the Steward Downing of German football.

What have the Stewards of Downing street got to do with this....

:d

Power n Glory
16-01-2014, 02:06 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1922075-can-julian-draxler-become-the-new-robin-van-persie-for-arsenal

Interesting reads.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1924467-scouting-report-can-arsenal-turn-julian-draxler-into-a-superstar

Very. Kid could be a beast.

Interesting quote.

When Arsenal announced the signing of Henry from Juventus in 1999 for a then club-record transfer fee of £11 million, Wenger was taken aback when there were suggestions of placing Henry back on the wings.

"I don't know why you would put a player with his physique on the wing," Wenger said, as per Roy Collins at The Guardian. "You have to at least try to play him down the middle."

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-01-2014, 04:14 PM
You must be a far faster and comprehensive reader than me PGtips..... always have a few external sources at the ready!

Most interesting part of that was - 'There is one quality above all others that makes Draxler a suitable choice to play upfront at Arsenal: his first touch.'

A very important ingredient for an Arsenal centre forward. RvP in a sense was a little more obvious as he always had incredible shooting technique on his left foot and had a knack of scoring from bizarre angles but if Draxler's first touch is top notch that lands him in good stead.

Not quite sure how he is ranked Bild's 90th best Bundesliga player and Kicker's 108th! Not sure what it is based on.

I think Rafael Honingstein is a really good reporter and I was interested to hear him comment on Reus' clause recently too in which he said it did not come into effect till the summer.....which I think is what a few have suggested for Draxler.

BOBN
16-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Not quite sure how he is ranked Bild's 90th best Bundesliga player and Kicker's 108th! Not sure what it is based on.

Simple really. Its based on them studying German football week in, week out. As opposed to seeing his score on Champions League Goals one evening once.

Just hope Wenger knows what hes doing. 3 Germans for 100mill odd, while the two so far have not really impressed.

JonasTC
16-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Simple really. Its based on them studying German football week in, week out. As opposed to seeing his score on Champions League Goals one evening once.

Just hope Wenger knows what hes doing. 3 Germans for 100mill odd, while the two so far have not really impressed.

You trust the german media to be correct about what they're writting, because they're the german media. Yet you dont trust one of the best managers ever on his football knowledge? BOBN strikes again :haha:

BOBN
16-01-2014, 05:50 PM
You trust the german media to be correct about what they're writting, because they're the german media. Yet you dont trust one of the best managers ever on his football knowledge? BOBN strikes again :haha:
Yes thats right. I trust the German media over Wenger.

They arent like the giddy English press pack. About a decade ago I remember a German article delaring there were no world class players in the Bundesliga getting attention over here. We would never do that, when the Premier League was second rate we pretended muppets like Cantona were top drawer.

Power n Glory
16-01-2014, 06:02 PM
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1920820-arsenal-preparing-julian-draxler-bid-but-is-he-the-right-man-for-the-gunners

Read this yesterday also. Writer also questions if this is the right move for us and why not? He's still a kid in development at the end of the day and it's a lot of money on the table if we spend another £40m. Ozil is proven talent and you know he'll get better but Draxler is a gamble even though he looks very talented.

As for Wenger's knowledge...he doesn't always get it right so you can't blame anyone that's skeptical. It's not as if we didn't sign Chamakh after he was scouted for a while. As for young players, we've had our fair share of duds and Reyes was one of them even though he looked to have it all in his locker.

I'd welcome the signing of Draxler but if reports are right, we may be able to get him for £20m because Schalke. I'd be comfortable with that.

Grebbo
16-01-2014, 06:36 PM
We wont be paying anything like €40m for Draxler. We'll be trying to turn his head and make him only want to join us and effectively down tools at Schalke giving them little choice but to sell.

We thought we could do that with Suarez but it turns out he didn't want to join us enough to refuse to play for Liverpool and force the move. I'm sure he would have done if Madrid were after him.

Power n Glory
16-01-2014, 06:41 PM
You must be a far faster and comprehensive reader than me PGtips..... always have a few external sources at the ready!

Most interesting part of that was - 'There is one quality above all others that makes Draxler a suitable choice to play upfront at Arsenal: his first touch.'

A very important ingredient for an Arsenal centre forward. RvP in a sense was a little more obvious as he always had incredible shooting technique on his left foot and had a knack of scoring from bizarre angles but if Draxler's first touch is top notch that lands him in good stead.

I think Rafael Honingstein is a really good reporter and I was interested to hear him comment on Reus' clause recently too in which he said it did not come into effect till the summer.....which I think is what a few have suggested for Draxler.

It's a great site for football fans. Always worth checking out.

You're right about the first touch thing and I guess I've found the answer to why Wenger has been playing Theo on the flanks. It links in with that other quote about getting players to learn how to play in tighter spaces so they learn his to exploit space better when deployed in the centre.

The kid sounds exciting. Both footed, deadly shot and pretty good at beating his man. Even if we don't play him as a striker in the centre, the winger role from the left could be perfect for him. It's a risky move for us because he's been inconsistent in the league and hasn't been that influential this season. I'd like to see him join the club but not so sure we should be activating his release cause to get him now when it seems like he's more of a project and one for the future. But we will see. Wouldn't complain if we did. Kid could be a beast if he really is about it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-01-2014, 07:18 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/092009/1253885876_suicide.gif

Neil Patrick Harris obviously very used to putting things in his mouth

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Erm no....sorry doesn't matter how good this guy is what's the point when we do not need anymore midfielders

Maybe to be considered in the summer as a long-term replacement for Tomas Rosicky but it's got to be a striker if we want to maintain any pretence of wanting to win things this season.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Unveiling on monday apparently :pray:

Maestro
19-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Unveiling on monday apparently :pray:

ketchup?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes thats right. I trust the German media over Wenger.

They arent like the giddy English press pack. About a decade ago I remember a German article delaring there were no world class players in the Bundesliga getting attention over here. We would never do that, when the Premier League was second rate we pretended muppets like Cantona were top drawer.

:d :lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Erm no....sorry doesn't matter how good this guy is what's the point when we do not need anymore midfielders

Maybe to be considered in the summer as a long-term replacement for Tomas Rosicky but it's got to be a striker if we want to maintain any pretence of wanting to win things this season.

The world and his wife is convinced he is destined to be RvP the second coming. Also, Wenger has said Rosicky will carry on beyond this summer too.....

I don't believe we will pay 40 million Euro's for him...not now or even in the summer.... but if we do I'd welcome it because Wenger must bloody well convinced of his ability....my word!

Niall_Quinn
19-01-2014, 04:03 PM
According to my inside sources Wenger is determined to sign him this month.

Master Splinter
23-01-2014, 10:11 PM
100% dive.

GP
23-01-2014, 10:14 PM
According to my inside sources Wenger is determined to sign him this month.

Sources close to the club?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BesJOc6CQAA_ncZ.jpg

Edinburgh Gooner
23-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Sources close to the club?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BesJOc6CQAA_ncZ.jpg
Quality

Master Splinter
24-01-2014, 08:40 PM
He's coming home :bow:.

Munchies
24-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Wenger :bow:

AKBapologist
24-01-2014, 09:46 PM
:bow:

AKBapologist
24-01-2014, 09:46 PM
https://vimeo.com/84976656

Munchies
24-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Have to click the black box for it to play .

Good highlight so far

AKBapologist
24-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Wenger: "no news on ozil"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BexuDVrIQAAFqNK.jpg

Wenger: "No news on draxler at all"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bext1fpCcAA_a0Y.jpg

It's on.

milla
24-01-2014, 10:09 PM
:popcorn:

Heisenberg
24-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Assuming there's anything at all to this, where is he going to fit in? Midfield isn't really an area we're especially short in.

Munchies
24-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Wenger: "no news on ozil"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BexuDVrIQAAFqNK.jpg

Wenger: "No news on draxler at all"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bext1fpCcAA_a0Y.jpg

It's on.

LOL :haha: :haha:

GP
24-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 2m
Wenger on transfers: "There is nothing happening. That [the Draxler rumour] is an illusion" #AFCvCCFC

:haha: Fucking WUM

milla
24-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Assuming there's anything at all to this, where is he going to fit in? Midfield isn't really an area we're especially short in.

CF :good:

milla
24-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 2m
Wenger on transfers: "There is nothing happening. That [the Draxler rumour] is an illusion" #AFCvCCFC

:haha: Fucking WUM

I watch the interview on BT1, I can't tell if he was WUMming or telling the truth. :popcorn:

Munchies
24-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Seriously, that Wenger face made me roflmao

Roflmeow :haha:

Edinburgh Gooner
24-01-2014, 10:20 PM
I watch the interview on BT1, I can't tell if he was WUMming or telling the truth. :popcorn:

I think he was at the wum.

Edinburgh Gooner
24-01-2014, 10:25 PM
We must be signing him coz caught offside haven't mentioned anything about him for days lol.

AKBapologist
24-01-2014, 10:48 PM
John Cross is on the case.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-target-julian-draxler-3059088#.UuLtbGTFJmM

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-01-2014, 10:55 PM

I suspect that he will have some educating out wide or even in the number 10 role if needs must......but eventually.....probably.....CF.

Wenger may surprise us all and decide he doesn't need educating though....

KSE Comedy Club
24-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Apparently it was mentioned later on BT sport that an agreement has been reached and he could be an arsenal player as early as Monday.

So my mate says anyway.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2014, 11:08 PM
You don't have any mates.

KSE Comedy Club
24-01-2014, 11:16 PM
You don't have any mates.

Harsh tbh.

Now, listen here you bitter little cock snot...

Marc Overmars
24-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Time for Draxy to come home.

Özim
24-01-2014, 11:18 PM

GP
24-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Julian is a fucking hard as nails name

AKBapologist
25-01-2014, 12:41 AM
The man who revealed the Gunners’ move for Mesut Ozil has claimed that Arsene Wenger’s men are closing in on the Gelsenkirchen starlet.
http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/01/25/fjortoft-arsenal-have-agreed-a-fee-with-schalke-for-draxler/?

AKBapologist
25-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Arsene Wenger has dismissed reports that they are about to sign Schalke winger Julian Draxler for £37million as "an illusion."
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9132292?
An illusion? Like a smoke screen for instance?

:haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
25-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Time for Draxy to come home.

Moonraking it in over here.

Heisenberg
26-01-2014, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CGp5lDKME

selassie
26-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Apparently we're in advanced negotiations with Schalke for Draxler. Still a slight sticking point over the fee, we have offered 30million euros, they want the full 37million euro release clause.

I really want this lad, he oozes class and I am pretty sure Arsene will develop him into a bonafide world class player, all the tools are there for him to succeed, the boy has it all IMHO.

Been watching this comp of him against Chelsea, he actually looks very RVP-esque, though from the clips I have seen of him in Bundesliga at times he has looked quite like Bale the way he runs past defenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIwAPzjQuKo

Munchies
26-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Watched a bit of it before it got too teadious, every simple pass has been put into that for no reason :lol:

But yeah, I can see the comparisons to RVC and Bale, in terms of his control and dribbling. But he's no where near as fast as they were, he seems to be just about the same speed as Ozil, not too slow and not too fast.

Syn
26-01-2014, 11:31 PM
But yeah, I can see the comparisons to RVC and Bale, in terms of his control and dribbling. But he's no where near as fast as they were, he seems to be just about the same speed as Ozil, not too slow and not too fast.

What do you mean? Ozil's quicker than Van Persie ever was. Raw pace doesn't matter much in any case unless you're trying to carve out a career like Walcott's. Van Persie hasn't needed much pace but he's got quick feet. Draxler seems very similar to Van Persie in that sense but he isn't a striker yet so we don't know how he'll get on. Bale is a totally different type of player - acceleration and strength is more important for him than trickery.

Munchies
26-01-2014, 11:41 PM
What do you mean? Ozil's quicker than Van Persie ever was. Raw pace doesn't matter much in any case unless you're trying to carve out a career like Walcott's. Van Persie hasn't needed much pace but he's got quick feet. Draxler seems very similar to Van Persie in that sense but he isn't a striker yet so we don't know how he'll get on. Bale is a totally different type of player - acceleration and strength is more important for him than trickery.

I was referring to how he has been compared to Bale/RVC. I know he's not like Bale, I said the only aspect that Draxler is similar to them is in his control/dribbling ability.

Ozil's not that fast, he looks slow on the ball but his dribbling helps him out. RVC was pretty fast when we first signed him.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Ozil's got a nice turn of pace and covers the ground well from what I've seen. It's just he's not playing that way right now. But when he does set off down the flanks he looks quick enough.

Syn
27-01-2014, 12:18 AM
He has shown he's got pace for Germany. Haven't seen much of that yet for Arsenal. In any case my (unoriginal) point was that Draxler seems identical to Van Persie, right down to the gay flailing arm. Classy as fuck. But can't see Wenger going for him, for that much money he'd be looking a bit more short-term than that.

Penguin
27-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Apparently we're in advanced negotiations with Schalke for Draxler. Still a slight sticking point over the fee, we have offered 30million euros, they want the full 37million euro release clause.

I really want this lad, he oozes class and I am pretty sure Arsene will develop him into a bonafide world class player, all the tools are there for him to succeed, the boy has it all IMHO.

Been watching this comp of him against Chelsea, he actually looks very RVP-esque, though from the clips I have seen of him in Bundesliga at times he has looked quite like Bale the way he runs past defenders.

Where are these reports coming from?

selassie
27-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Where are these reports coming from?

Sky Sports Germany. Raphael Honigstein, the Football journalist for German Guardian is claiming stuff is happening too, apparently we are in negotiations, nothing is done yet...still a difference over valuation/fee.

Jan Aage Fjortjorft, ex Boro player who works on German TV also claims stuff is happening, he broke the Ozil story before anybody.

Also...the Schalke Boss hasn't denied their is contact, he has denied we have made an offer though.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9135758/transfer-news-schalke-deny-julian-draxler-is-heading-to-arsenal

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but this seems to me as if something is going on.

Marc Overmars
27-01-2014, 02:40 PM
It does seem like a matter of when he'll join us really. If not this week then certainly in the summer you'd think.

Penguin
27-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Seems like the same old media speculation to me. :unsure:

Munchies
27-01-2014, 07:41 PM
That extra puma money has a big hand in our transfers now.

£30m each year which could add a world-class player each summer. I just hope the board and Wenger sees that we have to strengthen each year. Spending it will make us more likely to challenge for the trophies = more likely to win trophies = more revenue generated.

We already should have alot of money left though, we supposedly had £70m for last summer, and only spent £32m net. Leaving behind £40m or so.

Özim
27-01-2014, 08:33 PM
I'd be really disappointed if we didn't sign somebody this January to be honest, given our position. IMO we'd probably be blowing a great chance of winning something by not doing so.

KSE Comedy Club
27-01-2014, 09:29 PM
I'd be really disappointed if we didn't sign somebody this January to be honest, given our position. IMO we'd probably be blowing a great chance of winning something by not doing so.
Agreed.

Shaqiri Is Boss
27-01-2014, 09:34 PM

Agreed as well.

Well, not the winning part.

But agreed nonetheless.

AKBapologist
27-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Blown it.
http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/nachgehakt/draxler-bleibt-auf-schalke-hacken-dran-34421360.bild.html

Xhaka Can’t
28-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Right up there with...

http://davidgold.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/GROWING-BUSINESS_P38a.jpg

GP
28-01-2014, 08:42 AM
:o How did it get there?

Grebbo
28-01-2014, 06:19 PM
From the clips I've seen he definitely reminds me a bit of Bale and RVP.

Wenger wont pay anywhere near the release clause though and that's why this deal hasn't happened yet. The player is injured, hasn't had a great season and probably isn't good enough yet to get into the German WC squad. He's nowhere near being the finished article.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Holtby close to joining Schalke I think the German Sky Sports said.

Spuds aren't helping us out again, surely? I might just have to rethink my stance on ground sharing if this keeps up.

McNamara That Ghost...
29-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Think this needs the: It's on! treatment now.

Marc Overmars
29-01-2014, 11:27 PM
We need to get this guy in now. Squad needs a freshen up.

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Does everyone know Draxler is injured until March? So even if we get him we won't be seeing hi for a month at least. That could change once our medical teams gets involved of course. Could end up being a 2 week special.

Özim
30-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Does everyone know Draxler is injured until March? So even if we get him we won't be seeing hi for a month at least. That could change once our medical teams gets involved of course. Could end up being a 2 week special.

Yeah we know, Diaby, Walcott, Rosicky and Ramsey are preparing the welcome party, he's going to have his own bed with his name on it in the medical centre, we think that might be the clincher.

WMUG
30-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Think this needs the: It's on! treatment now.

I think it needs the owl treatment, personally.

AKBapologist
30-01-2014, 01:33 AM
...and could be fit sooner then expected as a German doctor says he could play in a week or so, a better prognosis than the original return date of mid-March.
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/17223?&cc=5739

McNamara That Ghost...
30-01-2014, 01:59 AM

Hodgson. :bow:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
30-01-2014, 02:09 AM
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/17223?&cc=5739

http://www.london24.com/polopoly_fs/spt_wk46_12_abou_diaby_1_1697122!image/2721584082.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/2721584082.jpg

AKBapologist
30-01-2014, 03:39 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1354010/evil-owl-o.gif

the non-flying dutchman
30-01-2014, 06:35 AM
Holtby close to joining Schalke I think the German Sky Sports said.

Spuds aren't helping us out again, surely? I might just have to rethink my stance on ground sharing if this keeps up.
Surely you jest!?
But yeah, I'm starting to believe that Levy is a double agent. First Redknapp, AVB and now Sherwood it's like he's actively seeking out the most myopic and damaging managers in the game.
Then again I've been binge watching Homeland so my mind is full of conspiracy theories.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Surely you jest!?
But yeah, I'm starting to believe that Levy is a double agent. First Redknapp, AVB and now Sherwood it's like he's actively seeking out the most myopic and damaging managers in the game.
Then again I've been binge watching Homeland so my mind is full of conspiracy theories.

Of course, of course.

Spurs are determined to make North London successful though and I admire that.

AKBapologist
30-01-2014, 01:24 PM
worth a read
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsene-wenger-transfer-bingo-arsenals-3093499#.UupRZHd_uiM

Niall_Quinn
30-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Poor old John Cross. Maybe he should get a proper job. This is the trouble with modern journalists, they can't tell the difference between entertainment and news. There are big topics Cross could be writing about, plenty of investigation he could be doing. Instead he's a gossip monger, looking for seed rumours he can spin into headlines that sell his rag. Fair enough, that's the sort of trivial shite he's hired to do, but he can't then complain if the clubs, managers, fans and anyone who encounters his "work" doesn't take him seriously or has fun pointing out how lightweight his so-called profession really is.

the non-flying dutchman
30-01-2014, 02:09 PM
worth a read
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsene-wenger-transfer-bingo-arsenals-3093499#.UupRZHd_uiM
Wenger is the consummate poker player to the point that it becomes maddening hard to parse who he's actually gonna go for in any particular transfer window. I hope that rumours of Dick Law heading a delegation to Germany ring true cos after getting confirmation on Ramsey's injury our midfield does seem light (then when the Welsh maestro get back we can push the new wunderkind upfront).

Özim
30-01-2014, 02:15 PM
If it was anyone but Wenger, I'd be pretty confident we'd sign one or two players given our injuries and our lack of quality up front, but Wenger is a complicated character who always seems to see things differently to everyone else, he often looks at what he has and looks for in house solutions and convinces himself they exist when perhaps they don't.

the non-flying dutchman
30-01-2014, 02:20 PM
^ When your the type of manager that can transform wingers into strikers at near clockwork basis, then I guess you can understand his hubris. Still... I'd love me some Draxler.

Özim
30-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Draxler looks a very talented player and I'd love us to sign him, but I do think most other managers would be looking for a striker rather than a player to convert to a striking role.

I'm not saying Draxler can't be that player of course, but realistically a transformation from winger to striker will take some time, he's only young as well so probably has a lot of developing to do.

Niall_Quinn
30-01-2014, 02:29 PM
If it was anyone but Wenger, I'd be pretty confident we'd sign one or two players given our injuries and our lack of quality up front, but Wenger is a complicated character who always seems to see things differently to everyone else, he often looks at what he has and looks for in house solutions and convinces himself they exist when perhaps they don't.

He's absolutely infuriating. But, in an age of extreme financial doping he has kept us in the CL, steered us into a financially strong position and generally kept us in or around the top of the game. But there's a conservatism to him that he would probably justify by pointing to the end result but I guess the fans are agitated by because we're always left wondering what could have been achieved if we'd just applied a bit more. A player here, a substitution there. Wenger's a long game player, not ideal for fans who want it today.

Özim
30-01-2014, 02:35 PM
He's absolutely infuriating. But, in an age of extreme financial doping he has kept us in the CL, steered us into a financially strong position and generally kept us in or around the top of the game. But there's a conservatism to him that he would probably justify by pointing to the end result but I guess the fans are agitated by because we're always left wondering what could have been achieved if we'd just applied a bit more. A player here, a substitution there. Wenger's a long game player, not ideal for fans who want it today.

IMO he's not proactive enough for today's game, I agree he doesn't think about the long game, the trouble is the game always seems to be changing and playing the long game never seems to heed rewards, these days it's about grabbing the moment and making the most of what opportunities you have or trying to influence what happens using a more spontaneous approach.

His long game was to build a team of youngsters and turn them into world beaters who could dominate, in this day and age this won't happen.

WMUG
30-01-2014, 02:46 PM
these days it's about grabbing the moment and making the most of what opportunities you have or trying to influence what happens using a more spontaneous approach.

Like Portsmouth! :d

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-01-2014, 02:55 PM
I think if he signs Draxler and a striker on loan, than we will know he is serious about success short and long term if not than we will know this is a man who has no faith in his own ability to deliver silverware and is happier to retreat to his comfort zone of champions league qualification

Marc Overmars
30-01-2014, 02:59 PM
The telegraph mentioned possibly taking Tello on loan as well as Draxler.

AKBapologist
30-01-2014, 04:10 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/arsenal-blow-julian-draxler-schalke-move-ruled-out?CMP=twt_gu
oh well nevermind

Marc Overmars
30-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Draxy. :(

Niall_Quinn
30-01-2014, 04:59 PM
All of these press reports are meaningless as is anything being said by either club until the final hour of the window on Friday. That's when we do our business. In fact don't be surprised if we ask for an extension and leave it all until the last -1 hours. I really hope they don't screw around on the price this time whether it's Draxler or somebody else. Let's just get a deal done for somebody other than Sanogo's cousin.

fakeyank
30-01-2014, 05:00 PM
We will not be signing anyone. We have as well Bendtner and Sanogo who can play there

Özim
30-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Like Portsmouth! :d

I was thinking more like Leeds, they set the bar.

Munchies
30-01-2014, 06:54 PM
GeoffArsenal - ITK :bow: -

I think we can forget about Draxler for now in my opinion. I hope i'm wrong and they can pull it off. It doesn't look good. Disappointed.

Guess we didn't want to stump up the extra £7m or so. They want £37m, we're offering £30m max.

Would've been a good signing but oh well I guess.

AKBapologist
30-01-2014, 08:56 PM
David Ornstein confirmed?

selassie
30-01-2014, 09:06 PM
This one is dead.

http://www.phase2technology.com/wp-content/uploads/imports/phase2/9437lock.jpg

Özim
30-01-2014, 09:16 PM
If we'd done the same thing with Ozil in the summer we'd probably be languishing in 5th or 6th right now.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-01-2014, 01:58 PM
We were willing to blow the Higuain deal for a difference of several million too, so is it any wonder....

KSE Comedy Club
31-01-2014, 02:21 PM
So I think we have to ask the question:

Was the Ozil transfer a smokescreen?

Niall_Quinn
31-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Also Draxler is affordable in terms of wages right now. After the World Cup and in the summer the real cost may have shot through the roof. False economy to be penny pinching now.

GP
01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Draxler on Sky Germany says a deal was done but Schalke said no at the last minute.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Stay strong Drax.

GP
01-02-2014, 07:07 PM
#Pray4Draxy

Darknight02
01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Well you know what if that is true then there's nothing we can do about it.

There's a limit you can afford to go with paying for a player. End of the day and realistically we are not billionaire club and we have fixed resources and if we reached a point where Schalke wanted to deal then that's what we have to stick by.

My only hope is that We continue to be in touch with Draxler throughput the next six months and we ensure he'll go for us in the summer when a bidding war begins or rather we finish the business before the World Cup.

But having said that, Draxler was always going to be a hopeful punt for this season. It doesn't excuse the fact that we didn't look for a striker which was needed this season.

Grebbo
01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
We were willing to blow the Higuain deal for a difference of several million too, so is it any wonder....

Tbf we thought we could get Suarez for not a lot more than Higuain and Suarez is a far superior player so I think the club were justified in letting Higuain go and going for Suarez. In hindsight it was a mistake but I'm not sure Higuain is that much better than Giroud and worth £35m tbh.

Grebbo
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Well you know what if that is true then there's nothing we can do about it.

There's a limit you can afford to go with paying for a player. End of the day and realistically we are not billionaire club and we have fixed resources and if we reached a point where Schalke wanted to deal then that's what we have to stick by.

My only hope is that We continue to be in touch with Draxler throughput the next six months and we ensure he'll go for us in the summer when a bidding war begins or rather we finish the business before the World Cup.

But having said that, Draxler was always going to be a hopeful punt for this season. It doesn't excuse the fact that we didn't look for a striker which was needed this season.

Hard to sign a top striker in Jan though. No club sells a top striker in Jan unless they're financially fucked or the buying club pays way over the odds.

LDG
01-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Hard to sign a top striker in Jan though. No club sells a top striker in Jan unless they're financially fucked or the buying club pays way over the odds.

Tbf, we should have signed another one in the summer, but hey, what do I know.

I'm happy with the achievements thus far, and it's a pleasant suprise, I must admit.

Just like us to sign an injured player on loan though. That is just stupidity.

Grebbo
01-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Tbf, we should have signed another one in the summer, but hey, what do I know.

Well it's not as though we didn't try.

This team has had 8 years of underinvestment. It's going to take a few more Ozil type buys before we have a genuine chance of winning the league. Couple more big buys and we'll have a chance.

JonasTC
02-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Jan Aage Fjortoft ‏@JanAageFjortoft 15 t.

"Draxler just been on Sky saying that he could have left, had great offers, but at the end Schalke-boss Heldt said no."

So stop listening to the "great" english twitter journalists who posts bullshit about Wenger saying no. In the end i think Schalke were never going to sale Draxler no mather what in this transfer window, they're in a tough fight for the last champions league spots this season, selling Draxler now could mean that they would lose out on chl next season.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Tbf we thought we could get Suarez for not a lot more than Higuain and Suarez is a far superior player so I think the club were justified in letting Higuain go and going for Suarez. In hindsight it was a mistake but I'm not sure Higuain is that much better than Giroud and worth £35m tbh.

I'm not saying pulling out of the Higuain deal was right or wrong....only that I am not surprised we were not willing to go the extra 7 million more (allegedly) to get Draxler. I, like you (judging from your post in the other thread), suspect that he was overpriced to begin with, even at only 30 million. However, I was intrigued that the manger was willing to invest such an amount in a player that young and was happy to bow to his judgement on it as a result.

Going into the season without another top forward, by whichever means we were to acquire him through was quite foolish, providing we were actually intent on winning anything.....and that was our real crime.

The pursuit of Suarez for my money was a farce, start to finish. I took issue with us going for him and it just so turned out after it all fizzled out that there were even more reasons than I previously envisaged not to waste our time on the bloke.

Despite the cock ups had we offered 50 million for Suarez (and Liverpool do have previous, not to mention Rogers even went as far as saying early into this season that Suarez was a 50 million pound player) we may well have ended up with him. Despite the nonsense with the clause.

And it is hard to imagine that Higuain, though it may be argued he is not hugely better than Giroud (though I think the difference in quality is significant enough), would not have added a few more points to our tally than we already have. Wherever we finish in the league, the short comings of the summer of 2013 is going to make us look rather sheepish..... unless of course we actually win the league/double/triple.