PDA

View Full Version : Will we win the league?

WMUG
20-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Simple question, most of the discussion on here has tiptoed round the issue, and while that's all very productive and interesting, it doesn't get to the core issue of this season; are we better than every other Premiership side?

Personally, I'd be surprised if we won it. On a level playing field, with United being shit, Liverpool still a work in progress, Spurs being Forever In Our Shadow and the two scum clubs still languishing in mid table because they were never chosen as the cock-extension of some bored billionaire, I reckon we'd be walking it.

As it is, my fear is that City in particular will just power through because of their unlimited squad depth, whereas we're relying on the lot we've got to keep performing at a similar level to what they are now; give City a sniff, which we will eventually do, IMO, and they won't look back.

I'd love it if I were proven wrong, love it, and it's not impossible, and this season is already a success given where we were last season, but I just can't believe, deep down, that we'll do it.

milla
20-01-2014, 09:54 AM
First to vote :good:

Dein-machine
20-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Even with a fit Walcott we were still concerned we only had Giroud upfront & he was unproven. Now with Walcott out & the recent struggles to score against pub teams the situation is even worse. If we don't address it with a quality winger/striker in Jan then we will get what we deserve. Top 4 = Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool - in that order.

JonasTC
20-01-2014, 10:33 AM
I dont believe we can win the league this year, despite me being an optimist. As long as Giroud keep choking when it matters and FA/refs dont want us to win, i dont see it happening. But if City keeps being shit away and we keep winning all those minor games, it might happend :)

Letters
20-01-2014, 10:43 AM
No, and it's a shame because without the billionaire fueled clubs we'd be miles ahead of everyone.
For all the criticism of Wenger over the last few years - some of which has been deserved - he's quietly built another very good squad which is better than the squads of all the other teams who have assembled theirs legitimately.
It must be recognised of course that we do have more money than many of those teams but at least it is our money, earned by prudent business decisions, not just donated by someone willing to spend until they blunder their way to the top.

I don't see it as failure to finish below City or Chelsea, all their 'achievements' should be marked with an asterisk.

Özim
20-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I don't see us winning the league, up front we don't have enough and I think we look pretty tired and laboured at the moment and there's a long way to go.

Munchies
20-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Yes.

We have a good solid base in our team, which is something we have lacked over the years.

Chesney has been great, and BFG and Kosc are one of our best CB pairings we've had since 2005. In front of that, we also now have a good CDM pairing in Flamini and Arteta. Ramsey has improved into a world class player this season, and he's returning from injury at a good time for us. Jack has been pretty good when we've relied on him aswell.

The only shortcomings which I see in our squad are up front, Giroud is decent but he's not a world class striker. I don't think we'll sign a top striker this window, it'll be in the summer, but we do need a decent stop-gap, and Berbatov wouldn't be too bad.

City though, are our biggest threats. They are deadly at home. But, they still have to play 5 of the remaining top 7 away (I think, Arsenal away, Liverpool away, United away, Everton away and Spuds lol) . Their away form has improved, from early on in the season, but I think they will slip up.

If Wenger makes a few good signings this window, I think we will win the league. :good:

PGFC
20-01-2014, 11:14 AM
No, not now you've started this thread.

GP
20-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Can we? Sure.

Will we? Dunno.

AFC Leveller
20-01-2014, 11:45 AM
No, we wont win it.

City have a silly amount of depth and qualiy + so much money. They have 4 strikers all capable of getting goals, they have a great midfield and a decent defense (not great) and have alreadys croed 100+ goals this season! There is no way a team like that will fiish lower than 1st.

They have improved so much under Pellegrini and can outscore anyone. Thier main weakness was their away record but they seem to have rectified that now and are picking up points everywhere.

I fancy us to nick 2nd though because Chelsea are an ordinary side and we can definitely compete with their current squad.

Power n Glory
20-01-2014, 11:55 AM
It’s January and we’re top of the league. It’s in our hands. If we’re short on fire power….it’s January :doh:. Massive opportunity to reclaim the title and the team have the stomach for it. They haven’t folded to pressure and we’ve lead the league all season. Management have to back this team with new signings this month. City have Spurs next and then Chelsea. I’m hoping they drop points and we continue to do what we’ve been doing. We can do it this year.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-01-2014, 12:04 PM
No because at some point the depth of City and Chelsea's squad will show.

Yes if we strengthen in January.

Hope Wenger doesn't take the risk.

Marc Overmars
20-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Certainly think we're capable but have a feeling we'll be edged out when push comes to shove.

WMUG
20-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Can we? Sure.

Will we? Dunno.

That, pretty much.

Syn
20-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Have you all been asked to go on MOTD?

lol just lol at you bunch of sheerahs.

Syn
20-01-2014, 12:33 PM
And no. Of course we won't win it. Man City are going to end up with 90 points or summat. We'll end up with low-mid 80s. Lacking the final piece of the jigsaw: a good striker.

selassie
20-01-2014, 01:13 PM
No and not because I think we will bottle it our anything. Just feel Man City and most likely Chelsea will be a bit too strong for us. Don't get me wrong, all three of us are in good form but I think we're more likely to slip up them either of those clubs.

I think in order for us to win the league we will need to beat Man City home, Chelsea away. Can't see that myself.

Letters
20-01-2014, 01:29 PM
And no. Of course we won't win it. Man City are going to end up with 90 points or summat. We'll end up with low-mid 80s. Lacking the final piece of the jigsaw: a billionaire sugar-daddy.
Fixed your typo <_<

Ollie the Optimist
20-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Can we win the league? of course

will we? well right now i think we can, its going to be close but i think we have the one thing both city and chelsea don't have which will help us. Team spirit. we want this title more then anything, look at the teams celebrations, look at the unity together both on and off the pitch. when the going gets tough for both city and chelsea this season we have seen they haven't really fought much hence some of their losses whereas we have.

one thing is for sure though, its the middle of January and we are top, every single fan should be believing we can win the league and get behind the team, not wanking over city as some fans have taken to doing

selassie
20-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Can we win the league? of course

will we? well right now i think we can, its going to be close but i think we have the one thing both city and chelsea don't have which will help us. Team spirit. we want this title more then anything, look at the teams celebrations, look at the unity together both on and off the pitch. when the going gets tough for both city and chelsea this season we have seen they haven't really fought much hence some of their losses whereas we have.

one thing is for sure though, its the middle of January and we are top, every single fan should be believing we can win the league and get behind the team, not wanking over city as some fans have taken to doing

Objective as always Ollie. ;)

How you have come to the conclusion that we have Team Spirit and City and Chelsea don't is beyond me?! If anything, both of those sides have strong team spirit now they have new managers who seem settled, I would agree last season both clubs had team spirit issues but not this season.

Moreover, to say both of those sides haven't fought much is not true, we were 5 clear at one stage and both clubs have clawed their way right back into the title race.

I do believe we can win the league, heck we are top and we're just past the halfway stage, I just feel both of those clubs have deeper squads and more experience when it comes to the title race. We also have a disadvantage in as much as we struggle in the big games, of course big games don't win you titles outright but they will go a long way to giving us a great chance.

Me personally, I am not in awe of Man City at all, but right now they look very very good, they have wiped the floor with their rivals on their home turf and have improved their away form. If I was a betting man I would have them odds on for the title.

Despite all that, it doesn't mean I won't cheer Arsenal on and I feel we are capable of winning the title until is mathematically impossible.

Marc Overmars
20-01-2014, 01:56 PM
The form of City and Chelsea is ominous now because they seeme to have ironed out the silly results they were prone to earlier in the season, however we've also kept winning and responded well to 2 demoralising defeats in Manchester, so we have enough about us to not just collapse and fall away. If we don't win the league it'll be down to lacking a top striker and a ruthless streak. We're efficient at the moment but a quick 15 minute spell won't be enough to see off our rivals like it is with the pub teams, we'll need to raise our game - like we did when we beat Liverpool because that's probably our best performance season and needs to be held up as the blueprint.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Yep, we can and we will win it. 22 games gone and top, the best record in 2013 and now in 2014, the best defence in the league, if we finish as strongly as last year then even the billionaires can't catch us. Of course we have to cope with injuries and suspensions while the chasing two don't, that could change things. But bad stuff could happen to the gypos, like a mercenary revolt, or the chavs like John Terry murdering all the black players in the team. A half decent ref in the gypo game and we can beat them, we can certainly beat the chavs. We've already beaten Liverpool and were half dead when we played Utd, we can beat both in the returns. Just got to make sure we keep picking up the three points against lowerplaced opponents (which, oh look, is everyone else in the league). The players need to believe - which sort of means the fans cheering them on need to believe. Therefore unbelievable the "nos" are winning this poll. WTF?

Syn
20-01-2014, 02:00 PM
The players need to believe - which sort of means the fans cheering them on need to believe. Therefore unbelievable the "nos" are winning this poll. WTF?

Arsenal fans scared and depressed. Losing hope.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Arsenal fans scared and depressed. Losing hope.

Getting nosebleeds from being at the summit.

Dein-machine
20-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Yep, we can and we will win it. 22 games gone and top, the best record in 2013 and now in 2014, the best defence in the league, if we finish as strongly as last year then even the billionaires can't catch us. Of course we have to cope with injuries and suspensions while the chasing two don't, that could change things. But bad stuff could happen to the gypos, like a mercenary revolt, or the chavs like John Terry murdering all the black players in the team. A half decent ref in the gypo game and we can beat them, we can certainly beat the chavs. We've already beaten Liverpool and were half dead when we played Utd, we can beat both in the returns. Just got to make sure we keep picking up the three points against lowerplaced opponents (which, oh look, is everyone else in the league). The players need to believe - which sort of means the fans cheering them on need to believe. Therefore unbelievable the "nos" are winning this poll. WTF?

Its not unbelievable at all. We have seen it too many times before where we don't consolidate a lead by adding quality, inc twice being champions but not putting up much of a fight to retain. Everyone in football knows we need to strengthen upfront, its not just about Giroud getting injured, he's not going to score enough goals for us to win the league & we've lost Theo's dozen a season - everyone but Wenger. We won't add to the squad this Jan but hope we can buy a couple in the summer. Unfortunatley so will Chelsea, Man City & Utd. SWARR says he hopes Wengers doesn't take the risk to add in Jan, I say can we afford not to.

Letters
20-01-2014, 02:31 PM
The players need to believe - which sort of means the fans cheering them on need to believe. Therefore unbelievable the "nos" are winning this poll. WTF?
I don't think a poll on a web site the players have never heard of is going to make the difference tbh.

Power n Glory
20-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Getting nosebleeds from being at the summit.

Defensive mechanism. Low ball and play down expectation so it doesn’t sting so much if we fail.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Its not unbelievable at all. We have seen it too many times before where we don't consolidate a lead by adding quality, inc twice being champions but not putting up much of a fight to retain. Everyone in football knows we need to strengthen upfront, its not just about Giroud getting injured, he's not going to score enough goals for us to win the league & we've lost Theo's dozen a season - everyone but Wenger. We won't add to the squad this Jan but hope we can buy a couple in the summer. Unfortunatley so will Chelsea, Man City & Utd. SWARR says he hopes Wengers doesn't take the risk to add in Jan, I say can we afford not to.

Shouldn't we pause and reflect on the fact we're even asking the question? Doesn't that in itself mean this season is very different to the norm? It'd be great to strengthen up top, but if we don't then what we are left with is the team that has grabbed top spot over the first 22 games of the season. At the start of the season if we'd had a poll asking if we'd be top after 22 games then we'd be seeing the same result, no, no, no chance. And yet here we are. As we all know, the gypos are the "Team of the Century" (TM), but we're still above them. How did that happen? Why haven't we been blown away yet? Why haven't we collapsed as normal? If we go on the evidence of the season so far then of course we can win it. Just keep doing what we are doing and we'll win it. Besides, it appears I need to go onto Blue Gypsy Camp in May and gloat, I know the lads won't let me down and deprive me of that pleasure.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't think a poll on a web site the players have never heard of is going to make the difference tbh.

If a butterfly flaps its wings in Ecuador then... something else happens somewhere or something like that. So stop flapping and let the butterfly do it.

Xhaka Can’t
20-01-2014, 02:49 PM
We can win the league, but I think we will come up short through no fault of our own and end up second. But to do this, I think it is imperative that we get a result at the Bridge.

Man City simply have too much resources at their disposal and are now managed by someone competent. The window for well managed football clubs winning the league closed with Mancini's sacking.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 02:52 PM
The window for well managed football clubs winning the league closed with Mancini's sacking.

He was right though, he said it over and over again, "We need more playa, we need more playa..." Pellegrini got more playa, a hundred million quids worth or something like that. Pelligrini has so many playa he might see a few problems when the jostling for world cup slots heats up and the mercs on the bench start moaning.

Dein-machine
20-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Shouldn't we pause and reflect on the fact we're even asking the question? Doesn't that in itself mean this season is very different to the norm? It'd be great to strengthen up top, but if we don't then what we are left with is the team that has grabbed top spot over the first 22 games of the season. At the start of the season if we'd had a poll asking if we'd be top after 22 games then we'd be seeing the same result, no, no, no chance. And yet here we are. As we all know, the gypos are the "Team of the Century" (TM), but we're still above them. How did that happen? Why haven't we been blown away yet? Why haven't we collapsed as normal? If we go on the evidence of the season so far then of course we can win it. Just keep doing what we are doing and we'll win it. Besides, it appears I need to go onto Blue Gypsy Camp in May and gloat, I know the lads won't let me down and deprive me of that pleasure.

Totally agree that we would have all given our left bollock to be in this position at start of the season ( right one aswell after Villa game ) & its finally good to hear compliments from others about the way this Arsenal team are doing but we are victims of our own success. This breeds expectancy amongst fans & why not when we're top of the league. However, we have a fucker of a month in March when we play Everton, Chelsea & Man City - when we played a cluster of the better teams recently ie Utd, Everton, Chelsea & City we came away with 2 points out of 12. With a far smaller squad & virtually fuck all upfront, by that time of the year we could be running on empty. The reason we are top is because City had a poor start away from home, they have rectified that now. Inevitably with all teams being strong defensively the league will be won by scoring goals, we are not in City's league & without Walcott scoring goals will be harder for us especially against the top teams.

Power n Glory
20-01-2014, 03:19 PM
We have to buy a striker this month. I really hate the idea of us not doing all we can to win this title. Next year will be even tougher because I can’t see City and Chelsea having such wobbles now that the new coaches are settled. It’s possible but as seen over the past few months, they’re more consistent and really pushing their teams on. We lack fire power now but that doesn’t mean simply accept that and let the season pass us by.

Xhaka Can’t
20-01-2014, 03:55 PM
I see what you are saying, but if there really isn't anyone available now at a sensible price, the clubs hands are tied. If we can keep this team together and make better planned additions in the summer, then we too will improve next season. The opportunity cost of acting now with no guarantee of success may not be worth it longer term.

fakeyank
20-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Simple answer, No

Have your seen our schedule in March? Our form against the top teams has been average and I can see us dropping down the pecking order then.

A small chance of us winning it, would be, if we strengthened in this window... which doesnt look like happening.

Power n Glory
20-01-2014, 04:19 PM
I see what you are saying, but if there really isn't anyone available now at a sensible price, the clubs hands are tied. If we can keep this team together and make better planned additions in the summer, then we too will improve next season. The opportunity cost of acting now with no guarantee of success may not be worth it longer term.

It seems slim but nobody would have thought we’d sign Ozil this summer. You never know. There has to be a goal scorer available even if it’s a punt on a player like Berbatov. We didn’t sign a striker in the summer and that was bad enough. I don’t want to look back on this season and feel we didn’t do all we can in the market.

Letters
20-01-2014, 04:32 PM
There is something different about this lot and in a normal season I think we'd have a great chance of winning the league. But we don't have normal seasons any more, we're not competing against normal clubs playing by normal rules. End of the day you can only put 11 players out there and ours are just about as good as anyone's. But nowadays you have the CL adding 10 games, there are too many games to put out the same 11 players twice a week in the last few months of a long season. Clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool have injuries and fatigue to cope with, City and Chelsea don't. They can just pull another few £30m players off the bench. It's like trying to win a 4x400m relay race on your own. For a while you can compete but over the long haul it's going to be too much.
We've done very well to hold off City and Chelsea for so long but ultimately they will both overtake us IMO and no doubt when the eventual champions are crowned the media will cream themselves over their 'achievement'.

Power n Glory
20-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Chelsea have three tops strikers that are firing blanks so it’s not that simple. You’re not taking form into consideration. Too much tinkering and big egos on the bench can also be a team’s downfall. It’s better to have a young and hungry player on the bench over a disgruntled primadonna that feels he has nothing to prove and feels entitled. If injuries hit those clubs in certain areas then they’ll be vulnerable.

Master Splinter
20-01-2014, 04:50 PM
A prolific forward who can play across the frontline (because getting a special quality striker IS difficult in this window) and a solid back-up defender would help greatly in the run-in. We will definitely pick up various injuries, as ever, so for once it would be useful to have options. If the forward has the impact of a Reyes or Arshavin, it will instantly lift an already quite buoyant squad and will only make us a more potent attacking force. We have the money now, not spending to consolidate our position would just be the most glaring reminder of how negligent we've been in recent years. We've been averaging -55.7 on the riskometer since the stadium move, surely a couple of January signings (no matter how they turn out) won't hurtle us into the + column and completely ruin us.

Current squad with everyone bar Feo/Diaby back: will run City/Chelsea close. Maybe FA Cup.

Current squad + canny additions: Treble tbf.

Syn
20-01-2014, 04:56 PM
While it's true that Chelsea and Man City have a big advantage, I think our current team can go up a couple of gears too. At the moment, one or two different players each game are stepping up but we're yet to see a lot of players hit top form. Only Ramsey, (possibly Giroud) and the defence have played to their potential. If, say, Ozil can find some consistency or Podolski gets a chance and starts finding the net we'll be a lot more dangerous.

Master Splinter
20-01-2014, 05:11 PM
We've probably pubbed more results than Chelsea, so it is quite funny hearing that Arsenal "have played out of their skin" and "Chelsea will get better when Mourinho finds his best team". Or the usual "City/Chelsea/United are in transition". These are three of the most expensive squads ever assembled. Ready-made, super-expensive players who've played for top teams and nations and many who have won domestic and European trophies in recent seasons. They're in transition?!

Arsenal in terms of playing staff and playing style, are probably in transition the most. We've become a more patient, defensive side who often let the opposition have the ball and look to play on the counter when possible. And important players like Mertesacker, Monreal, Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil, Podolski and Giroud haven't been here that long. The fact that the rest of our team is composed of young/previously unheralded players who have been successfully moulded into effective Premier League players tells you who was really in transition. And makes our current standing all the more remarkable in the face of infinite cheat code clubs. It would be a bit of a miracle if we did win the League.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 05:39 PM
While it's true that Chelsea and Man City have a big advantage, I think our current team can go up a couple of gears too. At the moment, one or two different players each game are stepping up but we're yet to see a lot of players hit top form. Only Ramsey, (possibly Giroud) and the defence have played to their potential. If, say, Ozil can find some consistency or Podolski gets a chance and starts finding the net we'll be a lot more dangerous.

Agreed, this is surely why we bought Ozil, to make a difference when the pressure is really on. Time for Ramsey to come back in and show he's stepped up a level, rather than had a purple patch. Podolski too, he looked hungry as hell when he came on against Fulham. And Ox has a chance to make an impact. Just as much can go right for us as wrong. Besides, if we really want to kick on and start competing in tournaments like the CL we will always be up against big money opponents. So far we've slugged it out with the gypos, the chavs, Dortmund, Napoli, and we're just about still standing. Still top of our league and still in with a shout of giving Bayern a couple of good games (no negativity please Wenger - let's go for it all guns blazing).

And injury to Merts or Kos though and I'll be changing my tune to something more melancholy. We have got to keep the defence together to stand a chance. I don't think the striker situation is nearly as critical as holding the defence together.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2014, 05:51 PM
We've probably pubbed more results than Chelsea, so it is quite funny hearing that Arsenal "have played out of their skin" and "Chelsea will get better when Mourinho finds his best team". Or the usual "City/Chelsea/United are in transition". These are three of the most expensive squads ever assembled. Ready-made, super-expensive players who've played for top teams and nations and many who have won domestic and European trophies in recent seasons. They're in transition?!

Arsenal in terms of playing staff and playing style, are probably in transition the most. We've become a more patient, defensive side who often let the opposition have the ball and look to play on the counter when possible. And important players like Mertesacker, Monreal, Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil, Podolski and Giroud haven't been here that long. The fact that the rest of our team is composed of young/previously unheralded players who have been successfully moulded into effective Premier League players tells you who was really in transition. And makes our current standing all the more remarkable in the face of infinite cheat code clubs. It would be a bit of a miracle if we did win the League.

Yeah, I laughed at that. The moneybags are in transition because they got new monkeys in to pull a billion quids worth of players off the shelf. It's so tough on them. Meanwhile we spend all the money we've saved up over ten years and now apparently we're big spenders too. Fact is, we've gone with what we had bar one addition and some of Wenger's signings and his patience with the longer term projects are bearing the results he said would happen. That in itself is a miracle, that we've managed to hold most of the team together and knit them into a system that even competes with the moneybags. We're punching well above our weight, can it continue? Yes, don't see why not.

If only Judas had shown an ounce of respect for this club and opted to pay back some of the huge debt he owed us for our perseverance. How would the gypos do if they lost Aguero and Negredo this window? Or if the chavs lost... Hmm, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to beat them. We've coped with that sort of loss and we're still leading the pack. All we have to do is avoid getting Mike Dean in the big games.