PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Liverpool (home, FA Cup).

McNamara That Ghost...
16-02-2014, 05:53 PM
GET IN! Arsenal. :bow:

We really need a close big win, after the previous tonking. :dance:

Bring on Everton. :scarf:

GP
16-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Brilliant.

Stick that up your bollocks.

Marc Overmars
16-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Excellent result. We really needed that one.

Well done to the lads, had to dig in a lot.

We should have designs of winning this competition now. FA Cup #11 is coming home.

Darknight02
16-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Merts and Kos outstanding after an early wobble.

Fabianski outstanding.

Yes they had chances but who gives a shit when you are up against the most inform striker on the planet.

Sanogo showed us a very promising start today - worked tremendously hard.

The Ox was fabulous. And Wenger really needs to see that Pod and Ox add something different on the flanks.

I don't give a flying fcuk about the penalty not given.

COME ON YOU FCUKING GOONERS.

THE FANS AND THE PLAYERS DONE US PROUD TODAY.

Well done to the FANS for giving their all to support the side today.

IBK
Brilliant.

Stick that up your bollocks.

Delighted with that! Needed that.

Shaqiri Is Boss
Oh well.

Oxlade looks a very good footballer. The big difference from Saturday is we didn't take our chances.

It takes a special kind of referee for both sets of fans to think he's been shit.

Please beat Everton for us. Ta.

GP
16-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Delighted with that! Needed that.

I look forward to your 'What does 'X result' tell us' thread.

IBK
16-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Merts and Kos outstanding after an early wobble.

Fabianski outstanding.

Yes they had chances but who gives a shit when you are up against the most inform striker on the planet.

Sanogo showed us a very promising start today - worked tremendously hard.

The Ox was fabulous. And Wenger really needs to see that Pod and Ox add something different on the flanks.

I don't give a flying fcuk about the penalty not given.

COME ON YOU FCUKING GOONERS.

THE FANS AND THE PLAYERS DONE US PROUD TODAY.

Well done to the FANS for giving their all to support the side today.

Any more than Scousers cared about Liverpool's offside first goal last week....

McNamara That Ghost...
16-02-2014, 05:59 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/GracefulVelvetyGoose.gif

Webb is such a poor ref. Errors for both sides, completely lost without his Lord and Master.

Darknight02
Oh well.

Oxlade looks a very good footballer. The big difference from Saturday is we didn't take our chances.

It takes a special kind of referee for both sets of fans to think he's been shit.

Please beat Everton for us. Ta.

Mate you must be so proud of your team. Your front three is absolutely devastating. Well played and did everything right. Just our day today.

If you sort out your defence and manage to replace Gerrard, you've got one hell of a team.

Well played.

Power n Glory
Promising. I'm hoping we see more of Pod and Sanogo for first team action. Confidence restored.

Marc Overmars
16-02-2014, 06:01 PM
March/April looks even more fun now.

Everton H
Bayern A
Spurs A
Chelsea A
City H
Everton A

:popcorn:

Munchies
Sanogo played great, considering it was his first game after a long while out aswell.

IBK
I look forward to your 'What does 'X result' tell us' thread.

Predictable. Working on it....

selassie
16-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Massive result, really important for confidence. I felt Liverpool were the better side but we really dug in deep, really dogged team performance.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Great stuff from Merts, Kos, fab, pods, Ox, Ozil. Great energy from sanogo. Arteta and flamini hot and cold. Jenks solid enough. Monreal caught out over and over.

Had to fight for it. Held out despite bizarre Wenger interventions. What a WUM.

Webb showing again why he's the best in the business. Gave a pen that wasn't, ignored a stonewall pen and simply ignored Gerard's persistent fouling. Laughing stock ref.

Home vs Everton. Every chance to progress to the semi vs city.

WMUG
16-02-2014, 06:03 PM
If BTSport can afford £100m for the CL rights, surely they can afford a studio?

hobson's choice
16-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Like most of our games this season, not really much to write home about, but they got the job done.

And if Liverpool can manage to keep their key players, and add some quality depth, they are going to be even more scary. When they attack, they look good.

selassie
16-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Sanogo played great, considering it was his first game after a long while out aswell.

Yeah he offered a great physical presence. I saw a lot of potential in him today, once he beds into the squad and puts a run of games together I think he will be a good addition to the squad.

The Ogg Monster
16-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Great fucking result, fuck yeah!

Very impressed with Sanogo, looks like another Adebayor in the making, but hopefully he isn't a cunt!

Cunt.

Cunt.

I want some cunt... :blink:

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Pathetic dive for the 1st pen.

Was great to see that second goal. Pace :bow:

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Suarez's ridiculous dive probably cost him the second pen.

GP
16-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Suarez's ridiculous dive probably cost him the second pen.

It's funny because he's going down before Ox even gets there.

The Ogg Monster
16-02-2014, 06:10 PM
I hope we can all unite in saying '...that 5-1 was a fluke, we are still a point off top and higher than Liverpool, who we just beat, we are still in the PL race, the FA cup and CL, and life is worth living".

Yeah!

Ollie the Optimist
16-02-2014, 06:12 PM
so depsite all of us having a meltdown (me included) over that line up, perhaps actually Arsene does know what he is doing. that team was superb today. we have quality in all positions. defence was brilliant, the Ox outstanding, Mesut Ozil was just sublime and Sanogo looked very good. moves ahead of Bendtner. Fabianski though was my MOTM, we wouldn't have won the game without him IMO. some great saves, the best being that one of sturridge.

webb was shit for both teams, yes suarez should have had a second pen, but gerrard should have been sent off and santi should have had a pen.

Master Splinter
Good response to a week of disappointment. Whole team worked hard and earned an important result.

Liverpool and the media who are devastated that they can't capitalise on the seventieth Arsenal crisis in a week will cry about Webb not awarding Suarez the pelanty, but Webb was equally bad for both sides and Gerrard and Sterling shouldn't have even been on the pitch at that point.

Oxlade, Ozil, BFG, Koscielny and Fabianski were excellent. Podolski and Sanogo put in a good shift too and gave Liverpool's defence something to think about all game. Podolski will be benched for a month for scoring again. Sanogo (in the little we've seen of him) always makes good runs and gets into promising positions. He's extremely raw, but clearly has something about him.

We need the same kind of energy against Bayern, so I hope Rosicky and Gibbs are recalled and perhaps Wilshere and Cazorla benched. They have been far too slack recently and against Bayern, we will be constantly punished. The shirkers or those who are not performing to their best should not be rewarded.

Arsenal :bow:.

selassie
And if Liverpool can manage to keep their key players, and add some quality depth, they are going to be even more scary. When they attack, they look good.

Yep, if they keep Suarez & add quality in Midfield & Central Defence then they are going to be strong contenders next season, I still think they are strong contenders this season. Offensively they run City very close IMHO.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:14 PM
It's funny because he's going down before Ox even gets there.

Fucking horrible player despite all his legitimate talents.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:16 PM
What the fuck did we ever do to BT? Can you believe this post match shit?

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Mate you must be so proud of your team. Your front three is absolutely devastating. Well played and did everything right. Just our day today.

If you sort out your defence and manage to replace Gerrard, you've got one hell of a team.

Well played.
We've got a fantastic first XI, when everyone is fit. Unfortunately our defence has been destroyed through injury... hence Kolo. Our squad is still wafer thin though. I'll be over the moon with 4th, really didn't see it coming this season. Moyes :bow:

It makes a nice change from being flat-out shit though.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:18 PM
We've got a fantastic first XI, when everyone is fit. Unfortunately our defence has been destroyed through injury... hence Kolo. Our squad is still wafer thin though.

It makes a nice change from being flat-out shit though.

It was a slimy underhand move not to play kolo.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-02-2014, 06:18 PM
FA cup is ours

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:20 PM
so depsite all of us having a meltdown (me included) over that line up, perhaps actually Arsene does know what he is doing. that team was superb today. we have quality in all positions. defence was brilliant, the Ox outstanding, Mesut Ozil was just sublime and Sanogo looked very good. moves ahead of Bendtner. Fabianski though was my MOTM, we wouldn't have won the game without him IMO. some great saves, the best being that one of sturridge.

webb was shit for both teams, yes suarez should have had a second pen, but gerrard should have been sent off and santi should have had a pen.

For me, it interesting to analyse what the manager gets right. Like I said on the other thread, Wenger can show some tactical nous when he has a few days with his laptop, and our players responded to what on reflection might seem like an over-emphasised reaction to last week's result. It is right to praise an Arsenal performance that got the result in an important game. But given our history of imploding, and very disappointing transfer window the question marks after last week were entirely legitimate. Lets all enjoy the fact that the team has surprised us today without recriminations.

Maestro
16-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Good response to a week of disappointment. Whole team worked hard and earned an important result.

Liverpool and the media who are devastated that they can't capitalise on the seventieth Arsenal crisis in a week will cry about Webb not awarding Suarez the pelanty, but Webb was equally bad for both sides and Gerrard and Sterling shouldn't have even been on the pitch at that point.

Oxlade, Ozil, BFG, Koscielny and Fabianski were excellent. Podolski and Sanogo put in a good shift too and gave Liverpool's defence something to think about all game. Podolski will be benched for a month for scoring again. Sanogo (in the little we've seen of him) always makes good runs and gets into promising positions. He's extremely raw, but clearly has something about him.

We need the same kind of energy against Bayern, so I hope Rosicky and Gibbs are recalled and perhaps Wilshere and Cazorla benched. They have been far too slack recently and against Bayern, we will be constantly punished. The shirkers or those who are not performing to their best should not be rewarded.

Arsenal :bow:.

:gp:

that's how i'm calling it

Letters
16-02-2014, 06:29 PM
For me, it interesting to analyse what the manager gets right. Like I said on the other thread, Wenger can show some tactical nous when he has a few days with his laptop, and our players responded to what on reflection might seem like an over-emphasised reaction to last week's result. It is right to praise an Arsenal performance that got the result in an important game. But given our history of imploding, and very disappointing transfer window the question marks after last week were entirely legitimate. Lets all enjoy the fact that the team has surprised us today without recriminations.
There's a fair bit of luck in football. It was obviously a tight game today which could have gone either way. Had it gone the other way there would no doubt be all kinds of hand wringing and analysis of how Wenger got it wrong. We won so Wenger is awlsome. Such is the lot of a football manager.

Massive win today, we really needed that after the last couple of games.

Zimm's cat will be getting a right kicking tonight. :(

Marc Overmars
16-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Only the 2nd time we've gone beyond the 5th round since we last won the cup in 2005. :lol:

Ollie the Optimist
16-02-2014, 06:34 PM
the last time we beat liverpool in a home fa cup game, we won the double.

its on

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:35 PM
There's a fair bit of luck in football. It was obviously a tight game today which could have gone either way. Had it gone the other way there would no doubt be all kinds of hand wringing and analysis of how Wenger got it wrong. We won so Wenger is awlsome. Such is the lot of a football manager.

Massive win today, we really needed that after the last couple of games.

Zimm's cat will be getting a right kicking tonight. :(

Perhaps - but not from me. This was a positive response and a half decent tactical set up. And because of it there would be fewer reasons to criticise even if we had not prevailed.

Letters
16-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Perhaps - but not from me. This was a positive response and a half decent tactical set up. And because of it there would be fewer reasons to criticise even if we had not prevailed.

I think the trouble is a lot of people struggle to separate result from performance.
It is understandable when emotions are high but sometimes you play poorly and win, other times you play well and lose.

WMUG
16-02-2014, 06:38 PM
the last time we beat liverpool in a home fa cup game, we won the double.

its on

Ollie the Statistician :bow:

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I think the trouble is a lot of people struggle to separate result from performance.
It is understandable when emotions are high but sometimes you play poorly and win, other times you play well and lose.

I'd say more than that. Football is an emotional game and that's what makes debate interesting...

Syn
16-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Very relieved that we won. I don't really care but if I'm being honest, Liverpool were quite clearly the better team. Many thanks to Webb for saving our arses - that was a definite penalty from Ox's challenge. Fabianski was our best player but Sturridge missed some cracking opportunities. Suarez, again, different class to everyone else on the pitch.

Anyway, as I said - I'm finding it hard to care; hopefully Everton should be less threatening so we've got a real chance of making it to the semi finals.

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Very relieved that we won. I don't really care but if I'm being honest, Liverpool were quite clearly the better team. Many thanks to Webb for saving our arses - that was a definite penalty from Ox's challenge. Fabianski was our best player but Sturridge missed some cracking opportunities. Suarez, again, different class to everyone else on the pitch.

Anyway, as I said - I'm finding it hard to care; hopefully Everton should be less threatening so we've got a real chance of making it to the semi finals.

Referees are part of the game. Suarez is happy to use that route to get a result. We've had plenty go against us this season when we've dropped points. We were lucky but still showed spirit to make best use of that luck.

Syn
16-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Sanogo seems like someone who'll pick up a lot of red cards in his career. Endearing but if you keep going up with your arms like that you're going to get called on it eventually.

GP
16-02-2014, 06:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgne1UOIQAAOgsJ.jpg

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Sanogo seems like someone who'll pick up a lot of red cards in his career. Endearing but if you keep going up with your arms like that you're going to get called on it eventually.

Endearing :haha:

Possibly the worst insult ever.

Syn
16-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Referees are part of the game. Suarez is happy to use that route to get a result. We've had plenty go against us this season when we've dropped points. We were lucky but still showed spirit to make best use of that luck.

We've definitely had far more games where we've been unlucky with decisions - no argument there. I just think that this performance isn't really a recipe for success either; i.e. don't read too much into it. The defence looked uncharacteristically shaky as well, especially Mertesacker who seemed to be getting caught out constantly. I guess there wasn't much else we could do today - we had decent pace out there and a good attitude so that gives us a good chance.

Chippy
16-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Slightly lucky, but a great win! Might give back some confidence?

IBK
16-02-2014, 07:04 PM
We've definitely had far more games where we've been unlucky with decisions - no argument there. I just think that this performance isn't really a recipe for success either; i.e. don't read too much into it. The defence looked uncharacteristically shaky as well, especially Mertesacker who seemed to be getting caught out constantly. I guess there wasn't much else we could do today - we had decent pace out there and a good attitude so that gives us a good chance.

Bingo. I think may of us are just relieved to see another full meltdown dealt with. Little steps...

Letters
16-02-2014, 07:04 PM

Hope so. We desperately needed that today.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Zim :bow:

Chippy
16-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Sorry! Should have introduced myself! I am a newbie (but have been reading the posts for a few weeks).
Been a fan since 1975 so I am obviously old! My username is obviously from the Master, Chippy Brady! Come on you reds!

Power n Glory
16-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Very little steps. Fabianski made some important saves to keep us in the game. Just glad we're not heading for a replay.

Can't read much into that game. Just hope some performances have opened Wenger's eyes and he has more confidence to start some players.

LDG
16-02-2014, 07:09 PM
One of Ox or Gnabry MUST start every game until the end of the season, as the pace and directness is essential to our chances.

We're still not playing great, but when we put in the effort like today, you get rewards.

Suarez is a cunt. Highly talented, but a cunt nonetheless.

Özil's Panoramic View
16-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Fantastic results. Absolutely love it.

This has to be ranked as our best win in however long, as it has totally pissed off the cretins masquerading as pundits. They are completely gutted and can't get over the fact that Webb didn't fall for that cheating beaver's theatrics twice.

Letters
16-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Sorry! Should have introduced myself! I am a newbie (but have been reading the posts for a few weeks).
Been a fan since 1975 so I am obviously old! My username is obviously from the Master, Chippy Brady! Come on you reds!
Welcome to the board :tiphat:

Syn
16-02-2014, 07:18 PM
What did everyone think of Sanogo? 21 years old, about the same age as Adebayor when he came. That take and volley that lead to the first goal showed a hint of the dids but looked very raw.

Worth keeping him upfront? Or is that just an irrational reaction to being fed up of Giroud? Obviously Giroud is much better with the ball, but Sanogo seems to have the physical strength to get himself involved more IMO.

Chippy
16-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the board :tiphat:
Thank you! :):scarf:

Marc Overmars
16-02-2014, 07:26 PM
What did everyone think of Sanogo? 21 years old, about the same age as Adebayor when he came. That take and volley that lead to the first goal showed a hint of the dids but looked very raw.

Worth keeping him upfront? Or is that just an irrational reaction to being fed up of Giroud? Obviously Giroud is much better with the ball, but Sanogo seems to have the physical strength to get himself involved more IMO.

I thought he played well in patches but also looked a bit amateurish at times, though I suppose that's par for the course with players like him with not much of a career to speak of so far. He's pretty much a blank canvas for Wenget, so hopefully he can be moulded into a useful player. Raw ingredients are there seeing as he's big, he's tall, he's quick, he's got pace etc.

He should definitely be used more often, we need to explore every striking alternative we have.

Bumble
16-02-2014, 07:26 PM
sanogo did alright... although does remind of carlton cole and that's scary.

great result and nice to set a decision for us as that was a penalty any day of the week. Everton home next so at least we got a home draw. City will bash Wigan and they are the only decent team left.

Chippy
16-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Quite exciting when you think that he has been out for such a long time! At last, we have some options! (Sanago, Giroud, Podolski, The Ox, Bendtner). Time to get excited??

Gooner23
16-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Sanogo worked hard and seems good in the air, fairly hopeless with the ball at feet at times though. Time will tell, but I don't see the raw potential that others have talked about. Good luck to the lad though.

Great result though against a bang in form Liverpool team. Would love to win it this year. It would certainly be deserved if we get past Spurs, Pool, Everton and probably City.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Everytime we get smashed we respond well

Clean sheet against the reigning champions and a win against Liverpool in the cup.

It's ON!

Master Splinter
16-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Wenget putting some turds in their places:

on Jose Mourinho's comments…
I am embarrassed for him, honestly. First of all I would say that I didn't speak about him at all in my press conference, and I have no more to say… I am more disappointed for Chelsea than for me. I am not interested in the subject at all, and that is really genuine. If you are interested, and you have nothing better to do in your life, you are free to do it. But honestly, I cannot force my interest in things that are not interesting for me. I love football and I'm sorry to disappoint you, but what interests me is what happens on the pitch.

on Olivier Giroud being rested…
He looked a bit tired and… I know where you [the reporters] want to lead me, slowly but surely… he has made a statement and we will deal with it internally. I don't think there is much more to add to that because I want to respect his privacy as well. I haven't seen it [his statement].

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-on-cup-win-sanogo-and-team-news

:lol:

Wenget :bow:.

The Epitome Of Class.

Syn
16-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Looks to me like Wenger's a bit rattled there. #martinsamuel #wheresmyburgergone

Japan Shaking All Over
16-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Well done boys! Time to break the other of Liverpool's heart

Power n Glory
16-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Looks to me like Wenger's a bit rattled there. #martinsamuel #wheresmyburgergone

Watching that press conference, you can tell Jose lost his cool. Was reading on Bleacher report how he's king of the mind games. Not after that move.

GP
16-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Sounds like even the English press are starting to get sick of his shit.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Sounds like even the English press are starting to get sick of his shit.

You mean they are starting to taste what's on the end of their tongue? Little bit about time. If Mourinho is smart he'll make a point of apologising in public. This is why I expect him to set fire to Wenger's house.

WMUG
16-02-2014, 09:26 PM
So this is why Webb didn't give the second pen

http://i.minus.com/irMVhlpuQdoq.gif

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 09:30 PM
So this is why Webb didn't give the second pen

http://i.minus.com/irMVhlpuQdoq.gif

He's a dumb arse. He totally distracted the ref from the actual incident. Who wouldn't be riveted by theatrics like that?

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Revenge is a dish served with jumbo fries, ketchup and lashings of lard. Here's the fat bastard's headline:
Blatant! Webb denies Liverpool ace Suarez crucial penalty as The Ox and Podolski book sixth-round FA Cup place for the Gunners

A lot of people are really gutted over this result. That's a whole week of crisis headlines just gone. Precious headlines that could have distracted from Maureen's meltdown of a week.

KSE Comedy Club
16-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Revenge is a dish served with jumbo fries, ketchup and lashings of lard. Here's the fat bastard's headline:
Blatant! Webb denies Liverpool ace Suarez crucial penalty as The Ox and Podolski book sixth-round FA Cup place for the Gunners

A lot of people are really gutted over this result. That's a whole week of crisis headlines just gone. Precious headlines that could have distracted from Maureen's meltdown of a week.Doesn't it feel all the more satisfying :)

GP
16-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Fucking hilarious, tbh

Ollie the Optimist
16-02-2014, 09:43 PM
liverpool had a penalty denied and so did we. 1-1 on that count.

The Emirates Gallactico
16-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer biting racist tbh.

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Tbf, that is phenomenal rotation.

Munchies
16-02-2014, 10:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgoC8ExIAAAuO3b.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgn5IRkCQAELTIk.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgnl16QCcAA_jLA.jpg

:haha:

GP
16-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Only himself to blame.

fakeyank
16-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Best part about today was Wenger's comments about the cunt Mourinho... "I am ashamed for Chelsea" :haha:

If we are not to win the title, I'd hope it'd be anyone but Chelsea's.. the despicable one!

Marc Overmars
16-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Normally Wenget comes out looking like a chump in these exchanges but he's certainly got one over Mourinho here.

Xhaka Can’t
16-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Normally he doesn't.

fakeyank
16-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Normally Wenget comes out looking like a chump in these exchanges but he's certainly got one over Mourinho here.

In the eyes of the media, Mourinho can never do wrong with his quotes but Wenger has always kept it classy. But today Wenger just killed it. Game Set Match!

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Great win today, I managed to watch some of it until my bloody stream was died!

Podolski, Oxo two definite starters for me, Oxo is a class player who seems to have an eye for goal and Podolski is a finisher something we've missed, hope they get some more games now!

Only Man City to worry about now, reckon we'll beat Everton at home, surely we're looking at a final?

fakeyank
16-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Great win today, I managed to watch some of it until my bloody stream was died!

Podolski, Oxo two definite starters for me, Oxo is a class player who seems to have an eye for goal and Podolski is a finisher something we've missed, hope they get some more games now!

Only Man City to worry about now, reckon we'll beat Everton at home, surely we're looking at a final?

Do we know who we will face in the semis, if we beat Everton? Or is that going to be a draw as well?

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Do we know who we will face in the semis, if we beat Everton? Or is that going to be a draw as well?

I was under the impression that the semi's were pre-determined (could be wrong though)?

WMUG
16-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I was under the impression that the semi's were pre-determined (could be wrong though)?

Nah, that's the CL you're thinking of. FA Cup has always been done round by round.

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgoC8ExIAAAuO3b.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgn5IRkCQAELTIk.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgnl16QCcAA_jLA.jpg

:haha:

:lol: Great player but what an arse!

Injury Time
16-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Citeh away.

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Nah, that's the CL you're thinking of. FA Cup has always been done round by round.

Ok well doesn't matter too much I think we know we have to beat Man City one way or another, got to beat the best if you're going to win trophies at the end of the day.

WMUG
16-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Ok well doesn't matter too much I think we know we have to beat Man City one way or another, got to beat the best if you're going to win trophies at the end of the day.

Come on Wigan :pray:

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Just seen Suarez's dive, how thick is he to think that a dive like that will get you a penalty? :lol:

Özim
16-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Strachan, great guy, top manager! :bow:

Injury Time
16-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Took eldest to the match, we were lucky they missed early chances, but our second was little bit awlsome:jumpnana: didn't cave when we conceded :faint:.

Sonogo hmm, was being fouled all match but great temperament (given BFG bust up I was expecting a smack down), think the back injury may have affected the messages to his legs, just a bit rusty. Ox looks like he was told "go for it" and obliged and tbf Nemö seemed more direct too. Anyway job done. I really thought it was Liverpools year.

ETA Fabianski had his best game in an Arsenal shirt IMHO.

Japan Shaking All Over
17-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Only himself to blame.

:gp:

Static
17-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Yaya Sanogo vs Liverpool for those who missed the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR2ehrrXIvk

KSE Comedy Club
17-02-2014, 02:15 AM
I think the media are genuinely pissed that we won.

All ssn are doin is reporting on 'wenger reigniting his war with mouron'

????

And 'Rodgers saying Webb missed a clear penalty and the best team lost'

???

I've always hated that saying, along with the shite about the team who deserved to win didn't.
Fuck off. If you were the best team you would have won plain and simple.

There's no praise for our win and resilient defending to see out the win. Nothing about how we showed strength and courage to beat a team that just spanked us 5-1.

They needed a pen to score a goal at the end of he day, if they didn't have Suarez the diver it would have been 2-0. That was down to an awesome display by Fabs. Stevie me was lucky to still be on the pitch too.
But let's not get facts get in the way of some arsenal bashing, eh hacks?

They were more concerned with pool and how they can push on in the PL cause they are playing less games.

Well fuck the lot of ya then!!

AFC Leveller
17-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Today showed us that last week's scoreline was a fluke. Last week, they scored with their first 3 shots if i remember correctly and that almost never happens. today Sturridge missed two goalden opportunities and although it would have been a different game had he scored, these things even themselves out over a season and we were due a bit of luck.

Dont know why he played Montreal, he was our weakest link last week and yesterday, Gibbs would have been the better choice by far.

Sanogo, two CBs, Ox and Ozil were great for us. Now onto another MASSIVE game on Wed.

AFC Leveller
17-02-2014, 07:04 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/UntimelyFirsthandKid.gif

Gooner23
17-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Podolski or Cazorla on the left vs Bayern? I'd stick with Pod, but think Wenger will go for what he sees to be the safer option in Cazorla.

AFC Leveller
17-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Do we know who we'd play in the semis if we get through?

Xhaka Can’t
17-02-2014, 08:34 AM
I think the media are genuinely pissed that we won.

All ssn are doin is reporting on 'wenger reigniting his war with mouron'

????

And 'Rodgers saying Webb missed a clear penalty and the best team lost'

???

I've always hated that saying, along with the shite about the team who deserved to win didn't.
Fuck off. If you were the best team you would have won plain and simple.

There's no praise for our win and resilient defending to see out the win. Nothing about how we showed strength and courage to beat a team that just spanked us 5-1.

They needed a pen to score a goal at the end of he day, if they didn't have Suarez the diver it would have been 2-0. That was down to an awesome display by Fabs. Stevie me was lucky to still be on the pitch too.
But let's not get facts get in the way of some arsenal bashing, eh hacks?

They were more concerned with pool and how they can push on in the PL cause they are playing less games.

Well fuck the lot of ya then!!

Well, they spunking themselves over next season and whether to repeat ad nauseum, "Arsenal haven't won a trophy for ten years!" or "Arsenal haven't won a trophy for a DECADE!".

This puts all that in jeopardy.

Its a tough job being a parasitic hack without a GCSE in English Language.

Tipsychubbs
17-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Only saw the last half hour, good to see out the win under pressure from pool.

Sounds like we were more mobile/direct earlier on with ox, pod and yaya.

This Liverpool team are going places though, a couple more signings and they'll be right up there. I thought last year Rodgers was quietly building something good. Their attack looked dangerous, mobile and penetrative, with good off the ball of movement and dribbling; which is what we should be looking to emulate.

AFC Leveller
17-02-2014, 09:55 AM
They have goal scorers, they have pace and the players to supply the frontmen. Their defence is shite though and is no where near as organised as it should be.

Sturridge's running in behind is one of the best in Europe, really clever and timely. Suarez we already know how good he is and Sterling has improved this season.

LDG
17-02-2014, 10:02 AM
They've been a suprise package, but they'll get found out next year. No doubt about it. Unless they can afford to spunk serious money on a squad.

GP
17-02-2014, 10:05 AM
No European distraction has helped them as well

LDG
17-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Pretty much.

The talent they have up top is undeniable, but unlike us, they are not subject to the same pressures. Teams still don't park it against them.....

I expect them to be down the pecking order a few places next season, unless, as I say, they invest heavily in a squad.

Marc Overmars
17-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I thought they were comfortably better than us but we won...that's football I guess. In fairness I've been really impressed with the potency of their attack, I'm guessing they'll invest heavily if they qualify for the CL, which I'm sure they will. Next season will be a more accurate measuring stick for them. More games, better players and teams will be a lot more aware of the threat they pose.

Özim
17-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I thought they were comfortably better than us but we won...that's football I guess. In fairness I've been really impressed with the potency of their attack, I'm guessing they'll invest heavily if they qualify for the CL, which I'm sure they will. Next season will be a more accurate measuring stick for them. More games, better players and teams will be a lot more aware of the threat they pose.

Rodgers is actually a pretty good manager it has to be said, he's turning Liverpool into a decent team and yeah their attack is really something, so much pace about it and so potent, with an attack like that you can beat anyone to be honest, I really wish we could have a couple strikers who can bag 25+ goals a season.

Shaqiri Is Boss
17-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Pretty much.

The talent they have up top is undeniable, but unlike us, they are not subject to the same pressures. Teams still don't park it against them.....

I expect them to be down the pecking order a few places next season, unless, as I say, they invest heavily in a squad.
Team do park it against us, tbf. But for some reason, not at Anfield. At Anfield teams often play hilariously high lines, not bother to press and try to play us, at their grounds they will put 9 behind the ball and we have struggled against that at times: see Fulham the other day.

A lot will depend on whether we get CL. That injection of money should help us immeasurably, but if we don't get it then Suarez is off and we take 100 steps back.

We're definitely lacking in terms of squad though. The only plus point is that we have a number of decent players out on loan [most if not all better than the shite we replaced them with ie: Wisdom, Ilori, Suso and Borini for Kolo, Aspas and Moses.] and our entire defence was struck down with death. We are a incredibly young team as well, which theoretically bodes well for the next few years.

This does seem like a "now or never" season though... same with 08/09. :ilt:

Fist of Lehmann
17-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I'll be honest, I'm glad we're not facing them again this season. Yeah we beat them twice, but that front 3 plus Coutinho has really come together. A lot depends on whether they can keep Suarez this summer, or if they lose him, they use the probably ridiculous amount of money to rebuild effectively (no more Carroll+Downing).

As for us: Sanogo :bow:

Always rated him tbf.

I'll hold my hands up on this one, I knew his technicals still needed a lot of work but I wasn't expecting so much from him physically, especially after a long lay off. Replacing his spine using spare parts from Kallstrom really paid off.

The Adebayor comparison isn't a million miles from the truth, he was pretty raw when he came to us but compensated with athletic ability. If Sanogo can develop along similar lines (without becoming a lazy, greedy, off-sidey cockmunch), we'll have one for the future.

That said, I still wouldn't want Giroud out injured for any length of time.

Interesting Bendtner got ditched as soon as humanly possible.

Elsewhere, Suarez. What a twat. At a loss as to how to describe that spin on his face thing he did, but deserved to be ignored just for that. Well done Webb. Called in completely wrong, and rightly so.

selassie
17-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Rodgers is actually a pretty good manager it has to be said, he's turning Liverpool into a decent team and yeah their attack is really something, so much pace about it and so potent, with an attack like that you can beat anyone to be honest, I really wish we could have a couple strikers who can bag 25+ goals a season.

I rate him too, some of his signings have been superb and he has moulded Liverpool into a very attractive side. Offensively they are as good as anybody in Europe. I have been closely watching Liverpool for a few months now and have been really really impressed with them. I watched them away to City a month or so ago and they ripped them to pieces, they just didn't take their chances, similar to yesterday in a way.

Yeah we desperately need a couple 20+ a season goal threats, TBH, with the return of Theo and the addition of a WC/Top Quality Striker I think we would be very strong offensively.

The Emirates Gallactico
17-02-2014, 02:01 PM
This Liverpool team are going places though, a couple more signings and they'll be right up there. I thought last year Rodgers was quietly building something good. Their attack looked dangerous, mobile and penetrative, with good off the ball of movement and dribbling; which is what we should be looking to emulate.

Yes they do and it puts our result in context as they came here on the back of some excellent form and we still could see them off.

I've been mightily impressed by them and the work that Rodgers has done since he took over. If they replicate this form over the course of next year there's no reason to think they can't seriously challenge for the title.

I'm hoping then that even if they manage to get CL (which looks odds on now), some of the bigger clubs will raid them for their stars this summer (and I include Rodgers in that list) so they aren't allowed to build anything long term. We just can't let Suarez and Sturridge scoring 20+ goals every season - surely a PSG or Monaco will splash out on them. Also that the extra 20+ fixtures a season from competing does affect their league performances which by all accounts it should.

Saying that, their owners look more resolute in keeping their top players as opposed to ours so maybe they can fend of the vultures this summer.

Niall_Quinn
17-02-2014, 02:40 PM
At Anfield teams often play hilariously high lines, not bother to press

It's fine - you can mention us by name.

Grebbo
17-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Was impressed by Liverpool tbh. Our defenders are scared shitless of Suarez. Even though he didn't score he's one of those players that puts fear into the opposition players and fans whenever he has the ball.

I'm not sure how to judge Rodgers. He has the best player in the league by a country mile and we know from experience how one player can drag a team to 4th. The season when RVP scored almost every game and we got 3rd when the rest of the squad played mostly shit proves this. One player can really make the difference to a team, like RVP with Man U last season.

It's hard to judge Rodgers yet. I'm not sure his signings have been particularly good. Coutinho is good and so is Sturridge but I can't think of any others.

It's all about Suarez. You can only really judge Rodgers when he has to replace him.

If Suarez has a buy out clause of 100m euros we should forget about Draxler and any other signings and just pay it.

Dein-machine
17-02-2014, 04:50 PM
A mixed reaction in the posts which is only to be expected after the week we've had. Don't think we should be applauding Wumger for the tactics, again it could have been game over in the first 10 mins. Thought Ozil had a better game but our only shinning light in real attacking play was Ox. At 2-1 we take him off!!! - which means had we conceded shortly after, we had no chance of winning the game. We will always allow teams to attack us when we play Arteta & Flamini, we sit far too deep.
But the real concern is the fact that we are all talking about how good Liverpool are. And they are very good as an attacking team. This team has a relatively new manager & hasn't had the massive funds available like the Chavs & Mancs. In fact, they have probably had the same spending budget as us. Bearing in mind its been years since they were a serious threat to us or the top teams, it would seem to suggest that another manager is far less time than ours has had & with limited funds is able to put together a team that has outplayed us 2 weeks on the trot & is a joy to watch in an attacking sense.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Coutinho is awesome and their front line is very impressive. Apparently Countinho has played the most successful through balls in the prem so far....which is of course an isolated stat to consider, but when you see him play you understand why he can be deadly.

I actually thought Sanogo looked spindly, gangly and really clumsy for the most part. That said, he put himself about in a real concerted way and didn't just watch the play unfold around him. It was amazing to see him play period considering the injury record so far.

Ozil has really tried to step it up since Liverpool in the 5-1......really encouraging to see and Fabianski was outstanding.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Lose 5-1 with Arteta as the main DM and beat them 2-1 with Flamini as the main DM.

No coincidence.

Marc Overmars
17-02-2014, 06:28 PM
really encouraging to see and Fabianski was outstanding.

Fabianski has been really good whenever he's been called upon, nothing like nervous wreck he was a few years back. It's a shame he's decided to leave because I don't think there are many better number 2 keepers than him, however you can't blame him because he's good enough to be first choice somewhere else.

Grebbo
17-02-2014, 06:36 PM
But the real concern is the fact that we are all talking about how good Liverpool are. And they are very good as an attacking team. This team has a relatively new manager & hasn't had the massive funds available like the Chavs & Mancs. In fact, they have probably had the same spending budget as us. Bearing in mind its been years since they were a serious threat to us or the top teams, it would seem to suggest that another manager is far less time than ours has had & with limited funds is able to put together a team that has outplayed us 2 weeks on the trot & is a joy to watch in an attacking sense.

Well we're still above them in the league, still in the FA Cup and they have Suarez so if anything I'd say that puts Wenger in a good light.

Suarez is fucking amazing. He'd turn any of the top 8 teams into top 4 challengers.

Globalgunner
17-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Well we're still above them in the league, still in the FA Cup and they have Suarez so if anything I'd say that puts Wenger in a good light.

Suarez is fucking amazing. He'd turn any of the top 8 teams into top 4 challengers.

Hes an amazing player but an irremediable cheat. The spinnarooney he did in an attempt to win a second penalty was worthy of King Booker himself. Hilarious!

Shaqiri Is Boss
17-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Nothing beats the Kanaroonie!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2546425/kanearoonie-o.gif

Chippy
17-02-2014, 07:35 PM
A mixed reaction in the posts which is only to be expected after the week we've had. Don't think we should be applauding Wumger for the tactics, again it could have been game over in the first 10 mins. Thought Ozil had a better game but our only shinning light in real attacking play was Ox. At 2-1 we take him off!!! - which means had we conceded shortly after, we had no chance of winning the game. We will always allow teams to attack us when we play Arteta & Flamini, we sit far too deep.
I could have sworn that I joined Goonersweb rather than Scousersweb?:faint:

Özim
17-02-2014, 09:36 PM
I could have sworn that I joined Goonersweb rather than Scousersweb?:faint:

No, I think you have come to the wrong place, we're just going through refurbishment but the contractor has put the wrong sign up :doh: bloody contractors!

Özim
17-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Hes an amazing player but an irremediable cheat. The spinnarooney he did in an attempt to win a second penalty was worthy of King Booker himself. Hilarious!

I think he thought he was just playing spin a win on the fruity, he got greedy though and lost.

Kano
17-02-2014, 11:01 PM
The most enjoyable aspect of that game was after the final whistle. The feeling of relief that we got through the test after a rocky week was shared by everyone watching, both in the stadium and by those of us at home. I hate to say it but Andy Gray was spot on when he said that losing the two goal advantage would've been disastrous for the remainder of the season. That said, unless we find a way to start controlling games again soon, we can't continue to get away with scraping wins.

Oh and that should have been a second penalty for Liverpool but a combination of Webb bottling it because he awarded a penalty a short time before and Suarez's making the most of the contact, meant we got away with it. If that had been Agger checking Ox in the penalty area, we would expect a penalty. Luck is earned, not just given to you, so here's hoping that triggers a resurgence of confidence in the team now.

IBK
18-02-2014, 10:20 AM

At one stage I thought he was going to launch himself into orbit! :lol:

milla
18-02-2014, 10:42 AM
At one stage I thought he was going to launch himself into orbit! :lol:

He did :coffee: