PDA

View Full Version : What does the Liverpool FA Cup result show us?

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I've been challenged on this, and am happy to respond.

We have just had a very important result against Liverpool. What does this show us?

1. Wenger is better tactically when he has a few days to think about it. With Sanogo he may have unearthed another good player.

2. He still has the dressing room (and TBH we could not have had our season so far if he'd lost it)..

3. Change can refresh a team - and with credit to our back up players they looked sharp (especially Fabianski)

4. We might have slipped up in previous important games, but its not terminal.

5. We edged a tight game when our luck was with us

The debate this season is really about the extent of this team's improvement. Days like this suggest that there is something tangible after all.

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Mods - could you please insert "result" after "Cup" in the thread title? Thanx

milla
16-02-2014, 06:12 PM
If Wenger urges more pace in our play, we will score more goals. Oxo and Sanogo are not just quicker but stronger forwards, much better than Giroud and Podolski/Cazorla.

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:13 PM
If Wenger urges more pace in our play, we will score more goals. Oxo and Sanogo are not just quicker but stronger forwards, much better than Giroud and Podolski/Cazorla.

Sanogo looks keen and up to it. Nice to be excited about a new player.

GP
16-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I've been challenged on this, and am happy to respond.

We have just had a very important result against Liverpool. What does this show us?

1. Wenger is better tactically when he has a few days to think about it. With Sanogo he may have unearthed another good player.

2. He still has the dressing room (and TBH we could not have had our season so far if he'd lost it)..

3. Change can refresh a team - and with credit to our back up players they looked sharp (especially Fabianski)

4. We might have slipped up in previous important games, but its not terminal.

5. We edged a tight game when our luck was with us

The debate this season is really about the extent of this team's improvement. Days like this suggest that there is something tangible after all.

Much more reasonable, keep it up.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-02-2014, 06:20 PM
It shows us we can beat Liverpool 2-1.

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Much more reasonable, keep it up.

I try to call it like it is. Always delighted when we get a great result, though.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2014, 06:22 PM
When our midfield presses we are good.
When they don't we are shit.
When they flip flop between doing both in a single game it all gets very random.

Arsene should be tied up inside his coat from 68 mins on.

milla
16-02-2014, 06:42 PM
When our midfield presses we are good.
When they don't we are shit.
When they flip flop between doing both in a single game it all gets very random.

Arsene should be tied up inside his coat from 68 mins on.

Worth to mention Arteta/Flamini partnership is better than Arteta/Wilshere

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Worth to mention Arteta/Flamini partnership is better than Arteta/Wilshere

Wilshere worries me. He's where Ramsey was a season or so ago for me...and is a risk when he starts.

milla
16-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Yes though I am not sure if Jack has the correct mind to rediscover his football

IBK
16-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Yes though I am not sure if Jack has the correct mind to rediscover his football:

Dunno really. Ramsey did it. Hope Jack can.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-02-2014, 09:10 PM
it also shows we can benefit from weak refereeing decisions as opposed to being punished.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Yes though I am not sure if Jack has the correct mind to rediscover his football

bit harsh thought he'd been playing well until he got injured recently.

selassie
16-02-2014, 09:20 PM
bit harsh thought he'd been playing well until he got injured recently.

Yeah me too, I don't think Jack works that well in a Midfield two, especially in the big games. Jack isn't as tactically aware or developed as Rambo. Despite all of that I still have high hopes for Jack, he is a good young talent who I think will succeed in the long term.

Marc Overmars
16-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Don't forget he outplayed Iniesta and Xavi that one time. Apparently.

lol.

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:43 PM
We've stopped the rot that was important, it shows that maybe we have a got a bit of steam left if we play the right players.

I also think (as I've always thought) playing a more direct game is much more potent, Ox Chamberlain certainly fits into that criteria.

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Don't forget he outplayed Iniesta and Xavi that one time. Apparently.

lol.

:lol:

Özim
16-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Wilshere worries me. He's where Ramsey was a season or so ago for me...and is a risk when he starts.

I'm really unconvinced about him at the moment, I think with him in the team we're very easy to get at, his passing is also pretty poor for a player touted to be potentially top top class, he gives the ball away at an alarming rate

Globalgunner
17-02-2014, 01:34 AM
What it showed, to me, is that we only play well after we have been humiliated. Why does it take a public beat down for our players to realise a match starts in the 1st minute not the 30th. It also showed that Fabianski is a good keeper and should be kept, if at all possible.
Further more, it showed again that the manager makes frankly bizarre substitutions, taking off, his most effective players and risk snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

It also confirmed, that Howard Webb, has most likely had his employment contract at Manchester United terminated by mutual consent.

Bumble
17-02-2014, 07:30 AM
what it shows to me is that we are much better at home and infact very hard to beat at home, first goal we have conceded at home since Everton and breaks the run of 2-0s. We are very efficient, Liverpool had plenty of chances in the game and Fabby played incredibly well. We had a bit of luck with the penalty but in big games the first goal is very important. we score first and can settle down and remain tight at the back and pick off the opposition, which is also the way Liverpool play. When we chase the game we are too exposed. So it doesn't really tell us anything new, but we have to score first again Bayern if we don't and they score first I think they will ruin us.

AFC Leveller
17-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Flaps has improved so much since he got the name Flaps. In fact he should be called by his real name from now on.

AKBapologist
17-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Fab?

Xhaka Can’t
17-02-2014, 08:37 AM
what it shows to me is that we are much better at home and infact very hard to beat at home, first goal we have conceded at home since Everton and breaks the run of 2-0s. We are very efficient, Liverpool had plenty of chances in the game and Fabby played incredibly well. We had a bit of luck with the penalty but in big games the first goal is very important. we score first and can settle down and remain tight at the back and pick off the opposition, which is also the way Liverpool play. When we chase the game we are too exposed. So it doesn't really tell us anything new, but we have to score first again Bayern if we don't and they score first I think they will ruin us.

The 0-0 against United broke the run of 2-0s.

Sorry, I'm an auditor. I can't help myself.

Power n Glory
17-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Too much too soon prehaps? Always thought we put him on a silly contract way too soon. I think he’ll get better if he focuses. The injury set him back. But at the moment, I don’t want him starting games. Too much of a risk and he should be playing from the bench.

Power n Glory
17-02-2014, 12:28 PM
What we learned…we’ll never dominate possession with Arteta and Flamini in the middle and it’s best not to try to. But I was alarmed by the amount of chances Liverpool were able to create from the centre. The pair of them need to work out a partnership and understanding. We’ll continue to see them paired together. If Wenger continues with that pairing, we need pace on the flanks for counter attacks. Pod and Ox on the flanks was the right move.

Bumble
18-02-2014, 07:24 AM
The 0-0 against United broke the run of 2-0s.

Sorry, I'm an auditor. I can't help myself.oh yeah forgot about that. the game was so boring I had erased it from my memory.

Xhaka Can’t
18-02-2014, 08:13 AM
oh yeah forgot about that. the game was so boring I had erased it from my memory.

If you have any tips you could share on how to do that, I'd be grateful.

Dein-machine
19-02-2014, 01:05 PM
In answer to the thread, that they are a better team than us & play far better attacking football - the one thing that Wenger is supposed to take credit for.

JonasTC
19-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Dont give Liverpool more credit than they deserve... They probably have the best striker in the world right now, when he was out, they were not impressive at all. Add on top of that, that Rodgers dont care about defence and are playing like 2 strikers with 4 offensive midfielders/wingers. A team like that will always get alot of goal opportunities, but they will also concede alot, if they had european football this season, they would be letting in goals left and right and probably be back to 8th place were they usually are.

LDG
19-02-2014, 01:40 PM
If you have any tips you could share on how to do that, I'd be grateful.

Watch the game really drunk.

Works for me every time I attend a match these days.