PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Everton (home, FA Cup).

McNamara That Ghost...
08-03-2014, 02:36 PM
That almost constitutes a thrashing for us!

Wembley. :scarf:

Well done Arsenal. :bow:

11 is on. :dance:

GP
08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
WEMBERLEY!

Good performance, enjoyed that a lot.

Sanogo isn't ready. Flamini is a bit of a liability. Ozil is world class, absolutely top drawer. Ox is a beastly player. Wenger does it again :bow:

IBK
Better. Much better - from all. Propers to Ozil - THAT is more what we want to see from you. Also - Arteta - what composure. Very, very pleased. :scarf:

Xhaka Can’t
Really pleased - was feeling incredibly nervous going into the second half.

Great play by Sagna and Giroud for our third, and likewise between Ozil and Bif for the cherry on top of the cake.

The Emirates Gallactico
08-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Never in any doubt.

If we go on to win this thing we'd probably be the most deserving team to have done so in recent years. We've had to overcome three top 6 teams. Can't remember a run this hard.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2014, 02:42 PM
WEMBLEY WEMBLEY WEMBLEY

WE'RE THE FAMOUS ARSENAL AND WE'RE OFF TO WEMBLEY

Globalgunner
08-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Never in any doubt.

If we go on to win this thing we'd probably be the most deserving team to have done so in recent years. We've had to overcome three top 6 teams. Can't remember a run this hard.
All our ties have been at home, But yeah good going by the lads

Power n Glory
08-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Convincing!!!!

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Mesut Ozil is world class. people doubted him yet he was outstanding today but the MOTM for me was the Ox. what a talent we have there. he is going to be huge

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Up the Arse! Nice scoreline in the end and through to the semi's.....which shouldn't be at Wembley but hey!

Had Arteta missed the second pen Arteta should have lamped Giroud.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2014, 02:47 PM
4 points off top with a game in hand and a semi final in the FA Cup. suddenly our season doenst look that bad

Globalgunner
08-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Dont know why the refs have it in for Flamini. 1 tackle and he gets booked, while scrotes like Ramires make that type of tackle a dozen times a match with hardly a booking

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-03-2014, 02:53 PM
4 points off top with a game in hand and a semi final in the FA Cup. suddenly our season doenst look that bad

only be four points with a game in hand if chelsea lose today at the moment we have played exactly the same amount of games as them.

Marc Overmars
08-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Excellent result.

Arsenal. :bow:

Wem-ber-ley :patrice:

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 02:56 PM
LOOOOOOL - What a shocking day for the Owen Coyle 4 Arsenal Clique - Mesut, Mikel and Ollie x 2 Total disaster :haha:

Super performance by Ozil, smacking it straight back at the hating bitches. Santi on good form too and we have a special player on our hands with Ox. Sagna great, surely we have to sign him up?

Great goals, Arteta very cool on the double pen. 4th goal an absolute gem showing why we literally stole Ozil from Madrid. What a bargain.

Everton are no mugs but we handled them well despite the loss of Kos. Tommy was ok, good enough considering how long he has been out. Merts strong again. Gibbs a bit sloppy from time to time but he kept running.

Flappy was entertaining but solid.

Flamster kept dropping too deep, he was almost a third CB on occasion.

Sanogo, poor lad. Out of his depth again. Difference when Giroud came on was huge.

Good day at the races - crisis put on hold, doom forestalled. On we go to the next round and City.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Excellent result.

Arsenal. :bow:

Wem-ber-ley :patrice:

That song reminds me of a clip from Day of the Triffids where a group of Arsenal fans some blind, some not are singing that song and in a post apocalyptic London brought about by a solar flare that has blinded 90% of the population they try and attack and rape this fully sighted woman.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-03-2014, 02:59 PM
SHE WORE

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
LOOOOOOL - What a shocking day for the Owen Coyle 4 Arsenal Clique - Mesut, Mikel and Ollie x 2 Total disaster :haha:

Super performance by Ozil, smacking it straight back at the hating bitches. Santi on good form too and we have a special player on our hands with Ox. Sagna great, surely we have to sign him up?

Great goals, Arteta very cool on the double pen. 4th goal an absolute gem showing why we literally stole Ozil from Madrid. What a bargain.

Everton are no mugs but we handled them well despite the loss of Kos. Tommy was ok, good enough considering how long he has been out. Merts strong again. Gibbs a bit sloppy from time to time but he kept running.

Flappy was entertaining but solid.

Flamster kept dropping too deep, he was almost a third CB on occasion.

Sanogo, poor lad. Out of his depth again. Difference when Giroud came on was huge.

Good day at the races - crisis put on hold, doom forestalled. On we go to the next round and City.

Flamini reminds me of Serge from The Returned, can imagine him waiting for unsuspecting young women in underpasses so he can assault them and eat their organs.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
I almost had to check the table there!

Flamini should use a little more street smarts with getting booked. The smart destroyers will make several of those little fouls that they know the ref will let go half a dozen times before he cautions you. Usually it entails NOT going to ground.....or just do that annoying rotational team foul thing.

Anyway, the combo of Flambé and Arteta worked well.....though it is hardly the symbiotic dream team duo of choice to me.

PGFC
08-03-2014, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRMOMjCoR58

GP
08-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Up the Arse! Nice scoreline in the end and through to the semi's.....which shouldn't be at Wembley but hey!

Had Arteta missed the second pen Arteta should have lamped Giroud.

I don't even know why it had to be retaken. You see that and far worse at literally every pelanty.

The Emirates Gallactico
08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't even know why it had to be retaken. You see that and far worse at literally every pelanty.

Did you see how far of his line Joel was for the retake? He was practically on top of Arteta.

If Arteta missed that, Blattenberg should have given another retake and booked Joel.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-03-2014, 03:05 PM
well to be fair on him, he gave us the penalty in the first place....i think only chelsea get fewer spot kick awards than us.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-03-2014, 03:06 PM

I did think that at the time....

One of those rules that are just regularly allowed to be broken.... A little like foul throws.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2014, 03:07 PM
what today also showed was that the best left back in england currently does not play for england. Gibbs was outstanding

Özim
08-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Great win, really pleased with the performance and the flowing football, FA Cup giving me a feel good factor I've not had a for a long time, hope we get to the final would be a great day. Oxo and Ozil were brilliant and love the way they all combined with Cazorla, these kind of performances as so much more enjoyable than the usual stuff we churn out.

Only one downside, FA cup is mickey mouse and meaningless :(

Özim
08-03-2014, 03:08 PM
what today also showed was that the best left back in england currently does not play for england. Gibbs was outstanding

Sorry but that's nonsense.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Not sure about that. Thought he was sloppy in possession a lot of the time. But he worked the line well. He can't play in slow motion so it's always good to have him in the team. Santi and Ozil were at x1 speed today as well and it makes all the difference.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2014, 03:10 PM

most of our goals came from baines side. he is a good left back but gibbs is far better

selassie
08-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Great win and really good performance. Especially 2nd half, we were by far the better team and continued to attack with pace and purpose. As mentioned, OX, Ozil and Cazorla were our stand out players today, they all played really well.

Looking forward to the Semis! Hopefully we avoid Man City.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Great win, really pleased with the performance and the flowing football, FA Cup giving me a feel good factor I've not had a for a long time, hope we get to the final would be a great day. Oxo and Ozil were brilliant and love the way they all combined with Cazorla, these kind of performances as so much more enjoyable than the usual stuff we churn out.

Downside of the cup aside, a win is a win and this had a performance attached as well. Much better stuff.

Özim
08-03-2014, 03:12 PM
most of our goals came from baines side. he is a good left back but gibbs is far better

What about Shaw, that guy is brilliant.

Baines has been solid for a long time as well, one average performance doesn't really change that, Gibbs is 4th in line at the moment, good performance today but he's defensively naive a lot of the time IMO.

Ollie the Optimist
08-03-2014, 03:13 PM
What about Shaw, that guy is brilliant.

Baines has been solid for a long time as well, one average performance doesn't really change that, Gibbs is 4th in line at the moment, good performance today but he's defensively naive a lot of the time IMO.

shaw is very good but IMO Gibbs is the best. Baines second, shaw 3rd cole 4th.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Hopefully we avoid Man City.

:haha:

Seriously, you think they'll pass up a big top of the PL semi and then David vs Goliath in the final? Bank on getting the gypos. Two of the balls will be glowing red hot for the draw,

Özim
08-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Downside of the cup aside, a win is a win and this had a performance attached as well. Much better stuff.

Great performance today and a great win, Wenger seemed happy too, perhaps the magic of the FA Cup is being rediscovered by Monsieur Wenger?

I enjoyed this far more than any CL game I can remember.

Özim
08-03-2014, 03:16 PM
If we play like this we're capable of beating City, though they have one or two match winners themselves, I guess this issue is that we might freeze and play our negative game which would not be good.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 03:16 PM
If we play like this we're capable of beating City, though they have one or two match winners themselves, I guess this issue is that we might freeze and play our negative game which would not be good.

Depends on the ref.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-03-2014, 03:28 PM
i honestly think i'd rather us face city in the semis, april time our fuck off fixtures have fucked off....and no sense getting all the way to the final if we think we can't beat our biggest obstacle.
Imagine going to Wembley in May having narrowly beaten City in the semis and playing a hull or sunderland in the cup final.....we lost to Birmingham in the CC Final because our defence was poo....2-0 win staple diet scoreline and a first trophy since 2004.
And then i wake up with a damp sticky patch around my groin....even my dreams are pedestrian.

selassie
08-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Seriously, you think they'll pass up a big top of the PL semi and then David vs Goliath in the final? Bank on getting the gypos. Two of the balls will be glowing red hot for the draw,

lol! I think we'll draw them too.

WMUG
08-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Come on Wigan!

selassie
08-03-2014, 03:59 PM
i honestly think i'd rather us face city in the semis, april time our fuck off fixtures have fucked off....and no sense getting all the way to the final if we think we can't beat our biggest obstacle.
Imagine going to Wembley in May having narrowly beaten City in the semis and playing a hull or sunderland in the cup final.....we lost to Birmingham in the CC Final because our defence was poo....2-0 win staple diet scoreline and a first trophy since 2004.
And then i wake up with a damp sticky patch around my groin....even my dreams are pedestrian.

:d

FWIW, I rather we face City in the Semi's too. If we do it, we might as well do it the hard way. City are not unbeatable, though I wouldn't fancy us to beat them.

IBK
08-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Its easy to get seduced by the fact that we'd prefer him to Monreal. He is not out of place in a team with our ambitions - like Sanogo for example. But better than Baines, Shaw and Cole - Orly?

McNamara That Ghost...
08-03-2014, 04:55 PM
I think this season he has been better than Baines and Cole at least, Shaw is in that phase of being in a team where his attacking is praised to the hilt (rightly) but he leaves far too much space behind him, for instance like against us.. Woy did however say he was only going to consider players that are fully fit, which is often going to see Gibbs discounted, gladly.

Özim
08-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Gibbs has always been defensively suspect IMO, including this season at times, plus as you mentioned he's always injured.

On talent the other 3 are better though, Shaw has got decent skills and a great cross, Baines has been the most consistent one in recent times and Cole is arguably the best England have ever had and still has it in him to put in top class performances at his age IMO.

Heisenberg
08-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Wembley :scarf:

Now, let's win the damn thing.

fakeyank
08-03-2014, 06:51 PM
We played some phenomenal football today. Why cant we start games all games at this tempo?! Everton got fucked in the ass! :lol:

So, if we play City in the semis, do we play it over 2 legs? If yes, I'd rather we not get them in the semis. A part of me still hopes that they lose to Wigan or face Hull/Sunderland in the other semi and lose. Most likely not going to happen but I personally dont want us to play them!

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2014, 06:52 PM

You must have been really drunk in 2005.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
You must have been really drunk in 2005.

As usual.

IBK
08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I think this season he has been better than Baines and Cole at least, Shaw is in that phase of being in a team where his attacking is praised to the hilt (rightly) but he leaves far too much space behind him, for instance like against us.. Woy did however say he was only going to consider players that are fully fit, which is often going to see Gibbs discounted, gladly.

I disagree. The problem with his still intermittent appearances haven't given us a consistent level of performance club wise as say Baines has. I'll concede that when we've seen Gibbs in an England shirt he is on a par with the competition. But he is by no means the obvious choice based on all factors, for me. I like him - but I need to see Gibbs fulfill his potential to become a permanent fixture for us. Which means staying fit - like Sagna for example.

WMUG
08-03-2014, 07:19 PM
We played some phenomenal football today. Why cant we start games all games at this tempo?! Everton got fucked in the ass! :lol:

So, if we play City in the semis, do we play it over 2 legs? If yes, I'd rather we not get them in the semis. A part of me still hopes that they lose to Wigan or face Hull/Sunderland in the other semi and lose. Most likely not going to happen but I personally dont want us to play them!

No, it's a one-off at Wembley. COC is the 2 legged SF.

Of course we want them to lose to Wigan, we'd have to massively fuck it up to not win the cup if that happened, and when's the last time we fucked up a massive cup winning opportunity?

McNamara That Ghost...
08-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Baines has given consistent performance, perhaps but not at the Champions League level/Top 4 level that we are required to perform at. Baines gets a lot of good grace for his set piece ability and his attacking. Gibbs, like our defence in general has been fairly consistent for a season and a half now; is it a coincidence that we've not had a bad beating with him playing? I'd say no it's not and it's getting a bit tiresome that so many look to other clubs that have better performers, seemingly across the board from sides we routinely finish above.

Letters
08-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Not as comfortable as the scoreline suggests today but a very good game, performance and result.

Lovely early goal from Özil, slide-rule pass from Cazola and excellent finish. Boy did he need that. Really enjoyed the first half, thought both teams played well and while we were a bit unlucky to go in at half time level it was a good goal from Everton.

Second half was tight with neither side making many clear cut chances until the penalty. Could have strangled Giroud when he encroached and made Arteta have to re-take the penalty, kudos to Arteta for coolness under pressure.

The late goals were sucker punches as Everton pushed for an equaliser but both were very well worked and Giroud desperately needed some goals so that was good.

Overall very pleasing. Looking forward to the semi-final

:patrice:

:scarf:

:yippee:

Master Splinter
08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Good game, good win, good goals.

Cazorla, Ozil, Ox, Sagna and Gibbs all excellent. Slick finishing by Bif.

Oxlade with another decisive contribution. He's going to be awlsome next season. Shame his arrival was delayed by injury this season. Hope he and Ramsey get to play together this season.

Arsenal :bow:.

Power n Glory
08-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Very enjoyable to watch and some solid performances. Bad notes - I don't trust Verm playing at CB. I watched him bomb forward when it was 1-0 and we were looking shaky in the middle. Some one needs to have a word. Flamini needs to be smarter with his fouls. He was probably worried about a 2nd offence when we conceded that 2nd goal. Also, I think Arteta is starting to show his age and rust.

The good - Ozil did the best possible thing you can do when under scrutiny. A goal and an assist. It will give his confidence a boost going back to Germany. He needs this. He and Cazorla looked great together. Rosicky was probably the missing link. I hoping he starts as well in the week. Ox was fantastic as well. Kid has a bright future if he keeps it up.

On to Wembley!

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Oxlade with another decisive contribution. He's going to be injured next season.

:gp:

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Very enjoyable to watch and some solid performances. Bad notes - I don't trust Verm playing at CB. I watched him bomb forward when it was 1-0 and we were looking shaky in the middle. Some one needs to have a word. Flamini needs to be smarter with his fouls. He was probably worried about a 2nd offence when we conceded that 2nd goal. Also, I think Arteta is starting to show his age and rust.

The good - Ozil did the best possible thing you can do when under scrutiny. A goal and an assist. It will give his confidence a boost going back to Germany. He needs this. He and Cazorla looked great together. Rosicky was probably the missing link. I hoping he starts as well in the week. Ox was fantastic as well. Kid has a bright future if he keeps it up.

On to Wembley!

Steady on - got to beat Wigan first!

LDG
08-03-2014, 09:04 PM

On to Wembley!

:unsure:

Power n Glory
08-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Sorry, 2nd goal of the game.

Power n Glory
08-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Steady on - got to beat Wigan first!

Semi final still being played at Wembley? Or have they rightly changed that?

WMUG
08-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Semi final still being played at Wembley? Or have they rightly changed that?
He's implying you support Manchester City.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2014, 09:24 PM
He's implying you support Manchester City.

Erm, no he's not. He's dismissing city as already having lost to Wigan. More in hope than anticipation in fairness.

However, there's little doubt you are a city fan.

WMUG
08-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Erm, no he's not. He's dismissing city as already having lost to Wigan. More in hope than anticipation in fairness.

However, there's little doubt you are a city fan.
Oh ok. But the semi's being played at Wembley, so nyer.

IBK
08-03-2014, 11:37 PM

That would have been a good post but for the last line. :unsure:

Özil's Panoramic View
09-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Much needed win that was, and made even sweeter seeing that it was a bit of a thrashing.

Ozil. :bow:

Was most pleased to see that wide grin on his face after providing a world class assist for that fabulous 4th goal.

Le Ox. :bow:

What a fucking beast. Him, Theo and Gnabry to strike fear in the hearts of opponents next season.

Arteta. :bow:

Proper composure.

Wenger. :bow:

Got it all right today.

The Arsenal. :bow:

Wembley. :patrice:

Slacker
09-03-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure why all the Gibbs negatives. Let's look at the facts. Cole is old and not playing regularly and gets shown up by pace these days. You can't reverse that. Bainesy is a cracking attacking full back with exceptional dead ball skills but can be a bit susceptible when defending, can't any full back though? You're playing in the best league in the World and the man you're marking is going to be capable of getting away from you now and again.

Not sure if people who stick the pages together over Shaw have actually watched him carefully. He's a confidence player whose head goes down quickly and makes the wrong decision - the failed pass, the wrong turn, the frustratingly bad Hollywood ball. Does the fact that he can sometimes get to the byline and whip the ball in mean that trumps these issues? Sure, Arsenal full backs haven't been up to the mark of late in that respect but Gibbs is a few years ahead of Shaw which makes him more consistent, experienced and able to step up the mark in an England shirt. Maybe there's others who are English, but sorry, Shaw and Cole don't deserve to be ahead of Gibbsy.

Niall_Quinn
09-03-2014, 01:10 AM
That would have been a good post but for the last line. :unsure:

Yes, Zim has been dissing the cup all week.

fakeyank
09-03-2014, 01:28 AM
I'd take the FA cup over 4th place any day tbh..

Japan Shaking All Over
09-03-2014, 01:32 AM
:clap:
Can't wait for the draw.....

Ralpheroo72
09-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Ox Man of the Match. Chased everything, there were no lost causes for him. I was a little worried in the second half, they had more possession, but were undone by a great Arsenal team performance.

AFC Leveller
09-03-2014, 07:39 AM
I thought we should have scored more than 1 goal in the first half, we put so many balls into their box and created chances, although our finishing was shit at first.

Everton are a good passing side and can be dangerous but this new defense we've built can resist pressure and stifle the best teams. Ozil, Ox, Arteta, Merts, Sagna and giroud were great, rally made a difference. The ox for me was outstanding.

City at their place are a machine but on a neutral ground, we can beat them.

Munchies
09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiOWnG_CEAAFykd.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQiNhc2UFk

Power n Glory
09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
You can just tell when we're fired up for a game or just going through the motions! Even at 1-1 I knew we'd get them back. Night and day between the Stoke performance.

Xhaka Can’t
09-03-2014, 09:15 AM
At 1-1, I was bricking it because I was in constant fear of a defensive or midfield brainfart undoing all our good work.

AFC Leveller
09-03-2014, 09:19 AM
You can just tell when we're fired up for a game or just going through the motions! Even at 1-1 I knew we'd get them back. Night and day between the Stoke performance.

Yes i agree. Even though we should have scored more in the first half, i thought we looked sharp and would open them up eventually.

Özim
09-03-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure why all the Gibbs negatives. Let's look at the facts. Cole is old and not playing regularly and gets shown up by pace these days. You can't reverse that. Bainesy is a cracking attacking full back with exceptional dead ball skills but can be a bit susceptible when defending, can't any full back though? You're playing in the best league in the World and the man you're marking is going to be capable of getting away from you now and again.

Not sure if people who stick the pages together over Shaw have actually watched him carefully. He's a confidence player whose head goes down quickly and makes the wrong decision - the failed pass, the wrong turn, the frustratingly bad Hollywood ball. Does the fact that he can sometimes get to the byline and whip the ball in mean that trumps these issues? Sure, Arsenal full backs haven't been up to the mark of late in that respect but Gibbs is a few years ahead of Shaw which makes him more consistent, experienced and able to step up the mark in an England shirt. Maybe there's others who are English, but sorry, Shaw and Cole don't deserve to be ahead of Gibbsy.

It's not really negatives, he's always been suspect defensively IMO, his natural position was winger so that's his strength not defending.

If you look at Gibbs for England he's not even in the reckoning at the moment which speaks for itself, noone is talking about him for England. Baines is considered the best and IMO he's been very good in the last few years, Cole was number 1 but obviously isn't playing much for Chelsea (but is still in the reckoning) and Shaw is seen as the England left back for the next 10-12 years, even Keown said he spotted him at 15 and was amazed with his talent and feels he's ready for a top club.

Özim
09-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Barkley's chance was a big turning point had he scored it things could have got quite tough, at that stage I was worried Everton might score and we'd need to play for a replay.

In the end we won comfortably, the game was a lot closer than the score suggests to be honest though we deserved the win as we played some excellent stuff.

Slacker
09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I hope you're right Zimm. Not seen anything myself that matches the hype plus my mate is a season ticket holder at St Mary's and he says his big thing is confidence and he can disappear. Suspect he'll end up at a Manc club, the Spuds or the chavs, ho hum...

Munchies
09-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Kroenke at the game:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/09/article-2576572-1C209E3600000578-153_634x431.jpg

Globalgunner
09-03-2014, 01:27 PM
He needs to remember to dye that moustache, when he does his hair, or better, shave that ferret off.

Niall_Quinn
09-03-2014, 02:44 PM
He needs a full face beard, I mean over his whole face. He's a weird looking fucker - like he's wearing a face he obtained in a Hannibal Lecter moment. In the picture above you can see he's just about to take it off and show us who's underneath. Is it Wenger? Have they ever been seen together?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-03-2014, 04:00 PM
I felt like after The Ox came back into the fold from injury there would be a little bit more of a split on here between people who favoured The Ox and people who favoured Gnabry. I suppose the latter hasn't played much, which is a little harsh on him, but they are very similar players to my mind as I always say.

I said before the Ox came back from injury that Barkley is a good player but that the Ox is certainly his equal at least......glad that hasn't been made to look fanciful. Barkley had his moments in the game but I didn't agree with Martinez's assertion he'd take that chance 9/10 or that our Pen was soft. I thought Martinez was a little myopic there, which you can expect to an extent because he's obviously disappointed.

I like Gibbs and would always choose him over Nacho Croucho, but I do feel like he is behind Baines and Cole, though ahead of Shaw. I don't think that should cause any real consternation as Cole's days are numbered, particularly with how little he has been playing and Baines is significantly enough older than Gibbs to not be be a thorn in his career for its duration.

Gibbs' real competition is Shaw, who he should be wary of not least because Shaw is one of those rare full backs that is a proper footballer....or at least a complete footballer. Rather than simply being one of the many full backs who just as much end up playing there as result of their limitations, Shaw looks like he could play in a few positions. A little like Lahm, not that I am comparing their actual levels as players.

I liked the Everton game, particularly because it seemed to dismiss the notion that Ozil and Santi cannot really play together which was always an idea I was reluctant to even entertain much less whole heartedly agree with.