PDA

View Full Version : Will we bottle the Fa Cup ?

Munchies
22-03-2014, 03:36 PM
???

If you change your mind and think this team is a bunch of bottling cunts, feel free to request your poll vote to be changed.

Changed Votes:
1-

adzzzbatch
22-03-2014, 03:41 PM
They better not do and not so Wenger can have one last hurrah, but for us fans!

Birmingham 2011 remains in the memory though! As does Bradford and Blackburn last year.

JonasTC
22-03-2014, 03:44 PM
When are we playing Wigan? And will we have Ramsey or Özil back for that one?

The Verminator
22-03-2014, 03:45 PM
You couldn't rule it out but I firmly believe we'll win it. We've bounced back from many terrible results this season and usually do the job against the smaller clubs.

Özim
22-03-2014, 04:16 PM
I expect us to win it, but I can't rule out us f*cking this up.

selassie
22-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I expect us to win it, but I can't rule out us f*cking this up.

This.

fakeyank
22-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I voted no. Its highly unlikely that we can fluff a good chance like this.

Letters
22-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I voted no. Its highly unlikely that we can fluff a good chance like this.

But you still want Wenger out even if we do win it?

milla
22-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Yep, winning it has nothing to do with the rot we currently have at the club. :gp:

Letters
22-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Rot? Do go on.

KSE Comedy Club
22-03-2014, 05:45 PM
I actually think he will walk at the end of the season.

But yeh I agree that he should go even if we do win it.

Same old problems, same old discussions.

I'm bored of it all now, it's gettin too long in the tooth tbh.

Globalgunner
22-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Rot? Do go on.
Nah! Everything is just dandy in Wengerworld. Ignore him.

Letters
22-03-2014, 05:50 PM
:rolleyes:

Yes. 'Everything is dandy' and 'rot' are the only two options.

fakeyank
22-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Yep, winning it has nothing to do with the rot we currently have at the club. :gp:

Yes. I do not see us moving forward with Wenger in charge. Lot of reasons and it primarily has to do with 'not giving a damn' about the shirt. I do not see passion in our game, I do not think Wenger has it in him to motivate the players to take the next step and for us to become one of the best teams in Europe.

I do not see him being tactically astute enough to match with the top managers in the world. Every match against top teams look the same.. lack of imagination, motivation and desire. Let me not go into our style of play, which is absolutely dire.

As for signings, I havent trusted his transfer acumen for a while but the Kallstrom signing just summed it up for me.

Yes, he HAS done many things for Arsenal. Yes, he WAS the reason why we have high expectations. But time is here for us to make the next step and move on. Time to stop living in the past and pass on the reigns to someone else. Football has sadly passed him by almost a decade ago.

Xhaka Can’t
22-03-2014, 06:52 PM
That is an exaggeration.

fakeyank
22-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Ok

Xhaka Can’t
22-03-2014, 06:57 PM
You know it is and you understand context.

I think it is time for a change, but for someone who has had football pass him by a decade ago would not have been able to manage us through the period of change the Club has undergone.

We are set up nicely for the future - it just isn't a future that Wenger is likely to take us through.

fakeyank
22-03-2014, 07:14 PM
You know it is and you understand context.

I think it is time for a change, but for someone who has had football pass him by a decade ago would not have been able to manage us through the period of change the Club has undergone.

We are set up nicely for the future - it just isn't a future that Wenger is likely to take us through.

I would agree on that. I think when I said 'football has passed him by for almost a decade', that is not correct. I think its better if I said "he hasnt moved along as quickly as football has progressed" would be more apt.
But I guess, we both agree that it is high time to have someone else to take us into a new future.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-03-2014, 10:11 PM
don't even want to entertain the prospect of us not winning the fa cup, i think i would be heartbroken

Maestro
23-03-2014, 09:26 AM
don't even want to entertain the prospect of us not winning the fa cup, i think i would be heartbroken

prepare yourself, just in case

Niall_Quinn
23-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Leave aside the performance of the team yesterday - we all just accept that was dire. But it wasn't the worst performance of the day. For that we need to look at the ref and his linesmen and the fourth official. They were as clueless as it is possible to be. So we should win this cup, we are stronger than the teams left in it, we have done well enough against all but the top clubs this season. We are clear favourites. But never underestimate the incompetence of the guy in the middle who may well end up the key player in this. Any game can be ruined by them, any result twisted 180 degrees. There's an element of lottery to every match and no guarantees.

Özim
23-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I ask you this, why was the refereeing never an issue when we were winning trophies left right and centre?

I reckon it's because we were good enough so that it didn't matter, that's what top sides tend to do, make any other factors irrelevant.

Niall_Quinn
23-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I ask you this, why was the refereeing never an issue when we were winning trophies left right and centre?

I reckon it's because we were good enough so that it didn't matter, that's what top sides tend to do, make any other factors irrelevant.

It was. That disgraceful dive by Rooney. Terribly bent pro-Utd refs like Poll and Bennett. Refs most certainly were a problem back then, they always are - win, lose or draw. They are shit and they keep proving it week in, week out. Their bosses are shit too for refusing to give them the tools to help them do a better job.

1_nilto the arsenal
23-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Wigan wll outplay and embarsse Arsenal. Another trophyless season I'm afraid.

Niall_Quinn
23-03-2014, 12:51 PM
No they won't. But they'll battle hard and we'll have to do the same. Which is why Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla should be benched. Those guys don't have the stomach for it. This is an ideal game for limited but energetic types like Flamini.

1_nilto the arsenal
23-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Have you seen Wigan play recently? They are a very accomplished passing side who tore City to shreds in the last round. When we went to City we collapased and couldnt get hold of the ball. Just because Wigan are a small town club and play in the Championship I wouldnt take this as a given. We did that against Birmingham remember. I wont even label this as a shock, I think we go in to this game as favoruites where as Wigan havent got anything to lose. Our whole season depends on this, where as thier main focus is the playoffs and promotion. This will be a day out for all of Wigan, I can see us losing this game without being shocked to be truthful.

AFC Leveller
23-03-2014, 01:25 PM
We bully the small teams and get thumped by the big teams so i expect us to win the FA cup.

However our ability to bottle the big occasions can not be underestimated and i really fear for this team now. Wenger looked a broken man yesterday.

Power n Glory
23-03-2014, 01:35 PM
After reading Arseblog, I have doubts about the FA Cup. You just never know what team will turn up when the pressure is on.

Niall_Quinn
23-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Have you seen Wigan play recently? They are a very accomplished passing side who tore City to shreds in the last round. When we went to City we collapased and couldnt get hold of the ball. Just because Wigan are a small town club and play in the Championship I wouldnt take this as a given. We did that against Birmingham remember. I wont even label this as a shock, I think we go in to this game as favoruites where as Wigan havent got anything to lose. Our whole season depends on this, where as thier main focus is the playoffs and promotion. This will be a day out for all of Wigan, I can see us losing this game without being shocked to be truthful.

That's what I said, we'll have to battle. So team selection will be very important. We had passengers onboard for the chav game, can't be giving out those free rides against a team that will raise its game for a special occasion. Provided we are committed we'll have too much for them though. The gypos lost because their mercenaries turned up assuming they had already won. If they had approached the game in the same manner they did against us, for example, Wigan would have been routed. We need to pick our best eleven in terms of attitude and discipline. If we have eleven with the right attitude and discipline.

IBK
23-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Rot? Do go on.

There is no rot. But there is a real, justifiable feeling that Wenger has run his course. I no longer believe he can do more than we have seen in the second half of his reign. More money or not.

IBK
23-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Wigan wll outplay and embarsse Arsenal. Another trophyless season I'm afraid.

The fact that we cannot be confident about playing them, given the evidence we have seen for the last 5 years - speaks volumes about where we are.

selassie
23-03-2014, 10:54 PM

I agree Wigan are a very accomplished side and I truly hope Wenger doesn't underestimate them. Wigan are a Premier League side playing in the Championship IMHO, they are no worse than West Ham or someone like that.

I think if the players are really up for this and take them seriously then we should win but it's going to be a very difficult game, I wouldn't be surprised if they take us to extra time.

Niall_Quinn
23-03-2014, 11:20 PM
The fact that we cannot be confident about playing them, given the evidence we have seen for the last 5 years - speaks volumes about where we are.

as long as we aren't as over confident as the gypos were we'll be ok.

IBK
24-03-2014, 12:18 AM
as long as we aren't as over confident as the gypos were we'll be ok.

Perhaps - but the fact that no Gooner now thinks we will take charge of this is illustrative of where we are.

Maestro
24-03-2014, 12:30 AM

tbf it is a cup game and they will be as motivated as anyone, more so because they are defending it

Dein-machine
24-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Why would you want Wenger to stay if we do win it?

Letters
24-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Why would you want Wenger to stay if we do win it?
Because we've made progress this year and if we win a trophy too that will be something worth building on.

Last year we were struggling most of the season and only just snuck into the top 4 on the last day.
This year after 29 games we were 4 points off the top with a game in hand. Yes yes, the thumping was embarrassing but we're still 9 points off better than at this stage last year and we've got a lot of good wins this year in games we were drawing or losing last year. We've negotiated 3 tricky Cup ties (all at home, admittedly, but still 3 of the top 6 teams and one who are genuine title contenders) to get us to the FA Cup semi final. We've had this big mental block in big games over the last few years which has contributed to us not winning trophies. If we go and do it this year - and with the teams left then we really should - then that's something we can build on. The players will no longer be playing for a side who haven't won a trophy in 9 years. We're a top striker away from being a side who can genuinely challenge. We don't need to rip everything up and start again.

Niall_Quinn
24-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Anyone who wants Wenger to leave this year under any circumstances is simply cutting their own throats and hasn't been paying attention to anything that has happened at this club over the last year. It really is a simple as that. If you measure the state of a club simply on the final league table then you have measured 50% at best of the important factors. Over the next 10 years we're going to have a big say in how that final table looks - BECAUSE of the 50% most are ignoring. Well maybe, because maybe football will change all over again, you can only plan for what you know. But the signs are excellent.

Another question that has to be asked - why do fans want to win tin pots above all else? Is it for the pot? The tin it is made from? Or is it for something else? If the pot is a symbol of achievement that represents the culmination of effort across a broad spectrum then there is value. But if we are chasing tin for bragging rights or some other meaningless and fleeting satisfaction then there is no value. What strikes me most about modern fans is the ability to shift from worship to outright hatred in the space of a week. It implies a lack of thought and appreciation of what it really means and what it really takes to achieve something that is hard to achieve.

We could lose this tin cup for many reasons, just as we can win it for many reasons. A significant part of the outcome in any cup competition is random. To say we must win because we are a big club against smaller clubs is to throw away the essence of sport and competition. If we are at our best and the opponent is at their best and the random factors are not too significant then we should win. That's the best we can say. To approach the match with the feeling of entitlement is a sure fire way to lose. Again, I'm glad that some of our so-called fans aren't within a mile of the decision making process.

There was a time when it genuinely appeared the fans were being fucked over. The many being robbed by the few. There has now been a clear demonstration this is not the case. There is evidence right under our noses. So now there are the loudest calls of all for everything to be blown to pieces, some say on the strength of who gets to hoist a tin cup. The pot isn't the goal. The effort and planning that goes before the final and almost trivial by comparison act of hoisting the pot is what counts. And if anyone has the nerve to say there has been no effort, no plan, then the only option is to laugh in their face. There is a simple remedy for the pot chasers who value nothing but the tin - there are two clubs available who have turned the capture of pots without any of the typical burdens of sport and ambition into an art form. They will welcome your shallow support with open arms.

Dein-machine
24-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Because we've made progress this year and if we win a trophy too that will be something worth building on.

Last year we were struggling most of the season and only just snuck into the top 4 on the last day.
This year after 29 games we were 4 points off the top with a game in hand. Yes yes, the thumping was embarrassing but we're still 9 points off better than at this stage last year and we've got a lot of good wins this year in games we were drawing or losing last year. We've negotiated 3 tricky Cup ties (all at home, admittedly, but still 3 of the top 6 teams and one who are genuine title contenders) to get us to the FA Cup semi final. We've had this big mental block in big games over the last few years which has contributed to us not winning trophies. If we go and do it this year - and with the teams left then we really should - then that's something we can build on. The players will no longer be playing for a side who haven't won a trophy in 9 years. We're a top striker away from being a side who can genuinely challenge. We don't need to rip everything up and start again.

I can see where you're coming from with the "monkey off our back" scenario but I just think the footballing world at top level is simply beyond Wenger now. Watching EL Classico last night made me realise that we have actually gone backwards, we are not progressing. These teams have qualty players in every position, not necessarily £50mill + players but they can all pass & move with pace - a bit like what we used to do. We may even miss out on 4th this year yet & whilst I agree our points total is better so far, I put this down to us holding on & narrowly beating lesser teams by defending in numbers. This is not progress for Arsenal (only if we want to become Stoke) - it is anti-football for us & whilst we may get away with it against Palace & Fulham, we are not good enough at it against the better teams. 3 out of our last 4 signings have been free transfers, this is Wenger style - no other top manager would do this because they know it cannot work. Even our subs should be of a certain quality for us to be where we should be at this stage of Wenger's reign. When, during his early reign, did we ever get the hammering's we've had in later years by our competitors - don't bring out the "Sheiks & Oligarchs" excuse because Liverpool hammered us this year & we were lucky in my opinion to not get another hammering from them in the cup. We have been & are able to compete with them financially. Liverpool can certainly claim progress - we most certainly can't.

Dein-machine
24-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Anyone who wants Wenger to leave this year under any circumstances is simply cutting their own throats and hasn't been paying attention to anything that has happened at this club over the last year. It really is a simple as that. If you measure the state of a club simply on the final league table then you have measured 50% at best of the important factors. Over the next 10 years we're going to have a big say in how that final table looks - BECAUSE of the 50% most are ignoring. Well maybe, because maybe football will change all over again, you can only plan for what you know. But the signs are excellent.

Another question that has to be asked - why do fans want to win tin pots above all else? Is it for the pot? The tin it is made from? Or is it for something else? If the pot is a symbol of achievement that represents the culmination of effort across a broad spectrum then there is value. But if we are chasing tin for bragging rights or some other meaningless and fleeting satisfaction then there is no value. What strikes me most about modern fans is the ability to shift from worship to outright hatred in the space of a week. It implies a lack of thought and appreciation of what it really means and what it really takes to achieve something that is hard to achieve.

We could lose this tin cup for many reasons, just as we can win it for many reasons. A significant part of the outcome in any cup competition is random. To say we must win because we are a big club against smaller clubs is to throw away the essence of sport and competition. If we are at our best and the opponent is at their best and the random factors are not too significant then we should win. That's the best we can say. To approach the match with the feeling of entitlement is a sure fire way to lose. Again, I'm glad that some of our so-called fans aren't within a mile of the decision making process.

There was a time when it genuinely appeared the fans were being fucked over. The many being robbed by the few. There has now been a clear demonstration this is not the case. There is evidence right under our noses. So now there are the loudest calls of all for everything to be blown to pieces, some say on the strength of who gets to hoist a tin cup. The pot isn't the goal. The effort and planning that goes before the final and almost trivial by comparison act of hoisting the pot is what counts. And if anyone has the nerve to say there has been no effort, no plan, then the only option is to laugh in their face. There is a simple remedy for the pot chasers who value nothing but the tin - there are two clubs available who have turned the capture of pots without any of the typical burdens of sport and ambition into an art form. They will welcome your shallow support with open arms.

Arsenal fans had become used to success at Highbury & we were sold the "Emirates" dream by the board advising that we were moving to increase our financial revenue to allow us to build a side that could dominate Europe - NOT compete, we were already doing that with C.L semi-finals & final. Dominating Europe, I would expect them to mean winning most trophies or tin as you put it.
Now we have a lovely stadium but alas no tin! - not even a hint of it for 8 years.
So maybe as we're paying the highest prices in the league for season tickets, seeing the revenue increase every year, new shirt deals etc - maybe you shouldn't begrudge some of us having a moan when the guy in charge fucks up another year of our lives with his lack of ambition. If I was just here for the tin, I should be happy we have a great chance to win the FA Cup, but winning it this year after being humiliated by the top teams doesn't mean we are any step closer to dominating Europe.

Yes the Mancs & Chavs have bought trophies but if Liverpool were to win the title this year - it would prove money doesn't always prevail. Sometimes you need a manager with fresh ideas,one that understands the modern game & one that realises that free transfer players normally means that their SHIT.

Niall_Quinn
24-03-2014, 01:05 PM
But... the 8 years is how long it has taken to build the stadium and the financial footing to start delivering the objectives. I'm really not sure why people aren't seeing this. Correct, no trophies in 8 years. Instead, stadium, hugely expanded financial model, partly funded by player sales but now that can reverse. Saw the first signal with Ozil and the pursuit if Suarez. The other option was to go back to the early 80s and battle it out and even nick a cup from time to time, while the big clubs played in the billion quid marketplace and the gap became insurmountable. But yes, it has taken time to build what most of the others have written out a cheque to buy. Fair play to Liverpool, they have (sort of) done it in a similar way but they have their big challenges yet to come. And they have spent, what, three times what we have net on players over the last few years?

Dein-machine
24-03-2014, 01:26 PM
But... the 8 years is how long it has taken to build the stadium and the financial footing to start delivering the objectives. I'm really not sure why people aren't seeing this. Correct, no trophies in 8 years. Instead, stadium, hugely expanded financial model, partly funded by player sales but now that can reverse. Saw the first signal with Ozil and the pursuit if Suarez. The other option was to go back to the early 80s and battle it out and even nick a cup from time to time, while the big clubs played in the billion quid marketplace and the gap became insurmountable. But yes, it has taken time to build what most of the others have written out a cheque to buy. Fair play to Liverpool, they have (sort of) done it in a similar way but they have their big challenges yet to come. And they have spent, what, three times what we have net on players over the last few years?

Yes, I agree with a lot you say but the money Liverpool have spent is not "out of our league" & it has given them to push they needed to compete at the top - we haven't spent when we obviously needed to & more importantly, when we've had the money to do so. 3 out of our last 4 signings have been free transfers. It worries me that Wenger still believes that buying cheap to get good is better than buying expensive to get quality - it can't work nowadays.

fakeyank
24-03-2014, 01:53 PM

What exactly is progress? A few seasons back, 2009-10, we were in the PL running and folded completely around this time. Ditto for the 07-08 season. Progress to me for a club of Arsenals size is playing better football than last season, winning or at least challenging the big teams, having an air of positivity around the club etc.

You want to see progress? Look at Liverpool... that is what you call progress. To me, there are two sides where we made some progress this season: Defense (a record whose stats look like poo because of our hammerings this season) and the fact that we spend 42 million quid on a player (albeit someone we didnt necessarily need).

What makes you think we will have big match mentality, play better football, go beyond 2nd round of the CL? To me, there is very little that makes me optimistic of any of this happening under Wenger.
If Wenger signs a new contract after winning the FA Cup, it will certainly give him one more season to stay and build. Do I think it'll be different? I do not see much reason to believe so.

Letters
24-03-2014, 02:09 PM
What exactly is progress?
I've posted a million times the progress I've seen this year and the signs of hope for the future.

The title was never the benchmark this year. Did you think we'd win the title before the season started? If so then fine, but I certainly didn't although it's nice to have been far more involved in the title race than I expected.

Finish the job in the FA Cup and that will show there's a bit more about this lot than in the past few seasons ago, they can do it when it matters.
It would be a good basis for further progress and last summer we were going after players of the calibre that could seriously push us on. Ozil was a great signing, it sounds like the club weren't as stupid as some on here made out in their pursuit of Suarez. The money is there now so there are no more excuses, we've made some progress this year and if we win the Cup that would give the players some real belief that they can win trophies. I don't think that's the time to be disrupting all that by changing manager.

If we cock up the FA Cup then fine, with the clubs left that would be a capitulation too many for me and show we'll never win anything under Wenger again.

Dein-machine
24-03-2014, 02:22 PM
What exactly is progress? A few seasons back, 2009-10, we were in the PL running and folded completely around this time. Ditto for the 07-08 season. Progress to me for a club of Arsenals size is playing better football than last season, winning or at least challenging the big teams, having an air of positivity around the club etc.

You want to see progress? Look at Liverpool... that is what you call progress. To me, there are two sides where we made some progress this season: Defense (a record whose stats look like poo because of our hammerings this season) and the fact that we spend 42 million quid on a player (albeit someone we didnt necessarily need).

What makes you think we will have big match mentality, play better football, go beyond 2nd round of the CL? To me, there is very little that makes me optimistic of any of this happening under Wenger.
If Wenger signs a new contract after winning the FA Cup, it will certainly give him one more season to stay and build. Do I think it'll be different? I do not see much reason to believe so.

Totally agree - I think Letter's stance is that we have more points than last year. I would say that we'll get less points in the second half of this season compared to the 1st. Don't think that is progress & its totally up to date..
If you look at the negative football we are playing this year, to me started at Dortmund with a wonder result but then for some reason we decided we were Italian's who wanted to defend 1-0 leads & play counter attacking football - even 2-0 up at home to Coventry in the cup. We have ruined Ozil after a promising start by asking him to become a defensive midfielder & by given him no options in front of him apart from the statuesque Giroud. We had a natural successor to Theo to give us pace & purpose down the flanks enabling us to get behind defenses, but we've decided the OX is a central midfielder. The football in the last 3 months is possibly the worst I've seen from any Wenger team.

Letters
24-03-2014, 02:28 PM
It's not just about points although that is a good indication of where a team is (agreed the end of the season is when it really matters though).
It's just some of the games we've won this year which we wouldn't last year. We look like a better, more solid side. It's not always great to watch when we're hanging on for dear life but we've been moaning for years about us conceding silly goals late in games to drop points, this year we've hardly done that.
Win the FA Cup and that would show they can finally finish the job and hopefully push on next year. That is not the time to throw everything up in the air by changing manager or having huge clearouts. We've not been a million miles away this year, let's build on that.

Dein-machine
24-03-2014, 02:40 PM
It's not just about points although that is a good indication of where a team is (agreed the end of the season is when it really matters though).
It's just some of the games we've won this year which we wouldn't last year. We look like a better, more solid side. It's not always great to watch when we're hanging on for dear life but we've been moaning for years about us conceding silly goals late in games to drop points, this year we've hardly done that.
Win the FA Cup and that would show they can finally finish the job and hopefully push on next year. That is not the time to throw everything up in the air by changing manager or having huge clearouts. We've not been a million miles away this year, let's build on that.

Its progress defensively against the lesser teams, certainly won games this year by defending well. But to be defending heavily against lesser teams must mean we are not attacking them, playing too deep, counter attack football - IS THIS PROGRESS?
This is NOT the Arsenal way, NOT the philosophy of Wenger & NOT why players such as Ozil come to Arsenal.
Wenger is desperate to win something but he has lost the plot in doing so. If you want to play like Stoke on match days, buy the correct type of player ( Huth ) & train like it 5 days a week. We continue to train as Barca & yet want to play like Stoke on a weekend - it can't work.

Letters
24-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Play like Stoke? Seriously? Behave...

fakeyank
24-03-2014, 02:47 PM
The problem that I see under Wenger in recent years has been this- if we are solid defensively like this year, our attack seems crap. If our attack is good, our defense is shit. If we win/draw big matches, we lose the silly ones against mid-table teams. If we win against the mid-table teams, we cant win the big games. If we win the home games, we drop points in the away games. If we win the away games, we drop points at home.

Its never being able to cohesively be good in every department. Its one or the other. How many times can you recall AW saying "Our home form is great but away form is a worry", "Our away form is better than home form because the fans are on our backs", "we played with a little bit handbrake", "we conceded goals we should not have conceded"

May be winning the FA cup will change everything, just like it turned the tables for Man Utd but I just do not have faith in AW after the repeated failures of the last 7-8 seasons.

AFC Leveller
24-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Agree with the yank. A good manager/coach is able to find the right balance between attacking and defending and Wenger simply can't.

These capitulations run a lot deeper than just "off days" and i think either the players dont listen/trust him anymore or he doesnt set them up properly.

Ive had so much crap taken the piss out of me this week from all sorts of fans that its gone beond banter! all because of this usueless team and clueless manager.

Letters
24-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Ive had so much crap taken the piss out of me this week from all sorts of fans that its gone beond banter!
Really? How old are you? Maybe I'm getting old but I've just had a few mates take the piss a bit, I'd have done the same to them, and that's that.
All fairly good natured, that's how it goes. It's not going to ruin my next week.

Ollie the Optimist
24-03-2014, 04:30 PM

this rot you talk about. if we do win the cup this season, we will have a trophy, will probably finish top four and not too far off the champions either, added to the fact we signed a world class player this season, that is clear progress from last year. Perhaps Arsene might not be the right man from next season onwards, but calling this a rot is just a bit spoilt brattish

Ollie the Optimist
24-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Yes. I do not see us moving forward with Wenger in charge. Lot of reasons and it primarily has to do with 'not giving a damn' about the shirt. I do not see passion in our game, I do not think Wenger has it in him to motivate the players to take the next step and for us to become one of the best teams in Europe.

I do not see him being tactically astute enough to match with the top managers in the world. Every match against top teams look the same.. lack of imagination, motivation and desire. Let me not go into our style of play, which is absolutely dire.

As for signings, I havent trusted his transfer acumen for a while but the Kallstrom signing just summed it up for me.

Yes, he HAS done many things for Arsenal. Yes, he WAS the reason why we have high expectations. But time is here for us to make the next step and move on. Time to stop living in the past and pass on the reigns to someone else. Football has sadly passed him by almost a decade ago.

in the last three years he has signed, Mertesacker, Ozil, Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla, Oxlade Chamberlain, Arteta, Flamini, Monreal

I know he has signed others like santos who have been clear failures but those signings above are pretty decent players and have made a difference to us. Bar Ozil, they aren't world class players, they have given us a pretty solid base and yes there are better players out there then those ones but with the new money coming in, the club can sign better players. His transfer record recently is better so i don't really know what the kallstrom signing sums it up for you, especially given the last signing before that was Mesut Ozil. A genuine world class player

Niall_Quinn
24-03-2014, 04:39 PM
It was Rioch who signed Ozil, not Wenger. And George Graham signed Kos and Merts.

fakeyank
24-03-2014, 04:53 PM
in the last three years he has signed, Mertesacker, Ozil, Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla, Oxlade Chamberlain, Arteta, Flamini, Monreal

I know he has signed others like santos who have been clear failures but those signings above are pretty decent players and have made a difference to us. Bar Ozil, they aren't world class players, they have given us a pretty solid base and yes there are better players out there then those ones but with the new money coming in, the club can sign better players. His transfer record recently is better so i don't really know what the kallstrom signing sums it up for you, especially given the last signing before that was Mesut Ozil. A genuine world class player

Out of those, none bar Per and Santi stand out. Podolski never plays, Ozil hasnt proven his worth, Giroud (I love this guy) is above average at best, Oxlade still has a lot to prove, Arteta is garbage, Flamini is above average at best.

While I believe everyone's rating for a player is different, our conversation regarding that can go on and on. What I meant by not trusting his transfer acumen is more about what is needed and what is actually being done. Example: We need pace in the team yet all we sign are attacking midfielders, no pacy wingers. Ozil IMO is/was not what we needed. We needed a striker desperately to cover for our team, we sign Kallstrom. We desperately needed anybody to replace Almunia in Goal yet we persisted. Buying Arteta and playing him in a position in which he sucks.
AW will instead play JW on the left, Ramsey on the right, Arshavin on the wings and then be surprised why its not working. Get what is needed for the team. Horses for courses!

FYI, there are also signings like Santos, Gervinho, Hasselhoff, Arshavin in recent seasons but thats not the point. The point is that he buys players we dont necessarily need, to play in positions in which they are not good at!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
24-03-2014, 05:01 PM
It was Rioch who signed Ozil, not Wenger. And George Graham signed Kos and Merts.

:haha:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-03-2014, 05:03 PM
prepare yourself, just in case

i have, i have :-)

first class plane ticket to switzerland....one way

milla
24-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Cripps :gp:

Özim
24-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Everyone knows it was Stojković who signed Ozil :rolleyes:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-03-2014, 05:04 PM
:haha:

I signed Ozil, i told him of all the halal butchers and restaurants in north london

GP
24-03-2014, 05:05 PM
I signed Ozil and so did my wife.

AFC Leveller
24-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Really? How old are you? Maybe I'm getting old but I've just had a few mates take the piss a bit, I'd have done the same to them, and that's that.
All fairly good natured, that's how it goes. It's not going to ruin my next week.

I work with about 400 people and everyone knows il a Gooner so imagine bumping into anyone and everyone a day after we lose 6-0? not nice i can tell you.

IBK
24-03-2014, 07:00 PM

Any 'progress' we have made has not changed the frailty of this team. Those skeptical about our credentials remain so - as much as they have done for any of the past 5 years.

Letters
24-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Any 'progress' we have made has not changed the frailty of this team. Those skeptical about our credentials remain so - as much as they have done for any of the past 5 years.

If we win the Cup then some of that skepticism about our ability to finish the job will have been answered. If we don't then... :ilt:

Xhaka Can’t
24-03-2014, 08:01 PM
If we win the Cup then some of that skepticism about our ability to finish the job will have been answered. If we don't then... :ilt:

http://replygif.net/i/317.gif

Injury Time
24-03-2014, 08:36 PM
:scarf: got tickets for Wembley :scarf:

I was at Highbury when Wigan dumped us out of the cup...we're fucked :ilt:

Özim
24-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Regarding our progress, it's difficult to gauge, on the one hand we were up there for much of the season, on the flips side we've received some real thrashings and it has to be said we were woeful last season so improving on that wasn't hard. Our defence has certainly been better although having been beaten convincingly and fallen to pieces a few times there's still some questions that need to be answered there, our attack on the other hand hasn't been as good, it's been 4 months since we played well but there's a few games where we've played some good football when we've played counter attacking football

If we end up 4th is that really progress, I'm not sure. Winning the cup would be fantastic and certainly an achievement for us, but due to circumstances we wouldn't have had to play those crunch games (I know we played Liverpool but that's not usually the stage we struggle it's usually when we get closer to winning something). and thus it still wouldn't necessarily answer the questions about our ability to win games against the top sides when it matters, if anything we've so far proved we can't.

Had we put up respectable shows in the big games and won the cup it would have been a decent enough season, the embarrassing results raise some real questions for me though, how can a side who are supposedly challenging get battered in the way we have as many times as we have.

We had a pressure situation in December when we had a chance to go well clear and we stumbled badly, we then had this run in February and March which was going to define our season and it's not been great to be honest, again we've collapsed somewhat.

I'm just not convinced the manager can do it anymore, I was shocked to see him do nothing when Liverpool were 2-0 up at Anfield and we were being taking apart, he sat there out of ideas and didn't even try to change things, I just can't understand this, it's his job to manage and adapt to the different situations and he clearly doesn't.

Can we develop anymore under Wenger? IMO no, a few years back we were in a similar situation and collapsed and we just haven't really progressed from there, we went backwards and have now gone full circle and still have the same problems we've always had. In addition I just don't trust him in the transfer market, whilst he does find good players, rarely are they in the positions we need and he time and time again fails do the necessary. The Ozil signing was a fantastic signing, however being critical he wasn't a player we needed (though I'm happy we got him) and some might disagree but in my mind the signing was in no small part due to the pressure the fans put on the club, it reminded me of the panic buying after the 8-2 defeat a few years back, albeit that it differed in the sense we signed one top quality player rather than 5-6 good players.

I think he's had his chance now and I just don't believe in him and IMO neither do the players judging from their performances in the big games recently.

LDG
24-03-2014, 10:43 PM
I signed Ozil and so did my wife.

Shut up big nose.

Niall_Quinn
24-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Regarding our progress, it's difficult to gauge, on the one hand we were up there for much of the season, on the flips side we've received some real thrashings and it has to be said we were woeful last season so improving on that wasn't hard. Our defence has certainly been better although having been beaten convincingly and fallen to pieces a few times there's still some questions that need to be answered there, our attack on the other hand hasn't been as good, it's been 4 months since we played well but there's a few games where we've played some good football when we've played counter attacking football

If we end up 4th is that really progress, I'm not sure. Winning the cup would be fantastic and certainly an achievement for us, but due to circumstances we wouldn't have had to play those crunch games (I know we played Liverpool but that's not usually the stage we struggle it's usually when we get closer to winning something). and thus it still wouldn't necessarily answer the questions about our ability to win games against the top sides when it matters, if anything we've so far proved we can't.

Had we put up respectable shows in the big games and won the cup it would have been a decent enough season, the embarrassing results raise some real questions for me though, how can a side who are supposedly challenging get battered in the way we have as many times as we have.

We had a pressure situation in December when we had a chance to go well clear and we stumbled badly, we then had this run in February and March which was going to define our season and it's not been great to be honest, again we've collapsed somewhat.

I'm just not convinced the manager can do it anymore, I was shocked to see him do nothing when Liverpool were 2-0 up at Anfield and we were being taking apart, he sat there out of ideas and didn't even try to change things, I just can't understand this, it's his job to manage and adapt to the different situations and he clearly doesn't.

Can we develop anymore under Wenger? IMO no, a few years back we were in a similar situation and collapsed and we just haven't really progressed from there, we went backwards and have now gone full circle and still have the same problems we've always had. In addition I just don't trust him in the transfer market, whilst he does find good players, rarely are they in the positions we need and he time and time again fails do the necessary. The Ozil signing was a fantastic signing, however being critical he wasn't a player we needed (though I'm happy we got him) and some might disagree but in my mind the signing was in no small part due to the pressure the fans put on the club, it reminded me of the panic buying after the 8-2 defeat a few years back, albeit that it differed in the sense we signed one top quality player rather than 5-6 good players.

I think he's had his chance now and I just don't believe in him and IMO neither do the players judging from their performances in the big games recently.

I prefer this argument than the "incompetent old cunt" argument presented by others. It has the merit of being debatable.

Letters
25-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Who are you and what have you done with Zim? :angry:

Don't agree with it all but
:gp:

GP
25-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Shut up big nose.

LDG eunt domus

AFC Leveller
25-03-2014, 10:38 AM

This.

Letters
25-03-2014, 10:38 AM
People called LDG they go the house? :unsure:

Niall_Quinn
25-03-2014, 01:23 PM
People called LDG they go the house? :unsure:

Correct. Now type it out 1,000 times.

Injury Time
25-03-2014, 10:13 PM
:sulk:
:scarf: got tickets for Wembley :scarf:

I was at Highbury when Wigan dumped us out of the cup...we're fucked :ilt:

The bottle is on :sick:

Marc Overmars
25-03-2014, 10:17 PM
I keep telling myself the cup is safe but I just don't know anymore.

Niall_Quinn
25-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I keep telling myself the cup is safe but I just don't know anymore.

I would definitely avoid telling yourself it is safe. It never has been, it's the cup. If Wigan can beat the gypos they can beat us. We'll have to play well to win it, not just walk up and wave entitlement forms.

Munchies
25-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Whoever wants to change their vote now, you can :coffee:

Updated the first post.

Power n Glory
25-03-2014, 10:21 PM
You'd think this team would have the common decency to turn up after the weekend's pummeling. Banking on this team to turn up for the FA Cup....it's 50/50.

Niall_Quinn
25-03-2014, 10:22 PM
You'd think this team would have the common decency to turn up after the weekend's pummeling. Banking on this team to turn up for the FA Cup....it's 50/50.

Bit pessimistic.

52/48 in our favour.

1_nilto the arsenal
25-03-2014, 10:38 PM
The Cup is 50-50, if we expect Wigan to be an easy game, we are going to be in for a helleva of a shock.

Xhaka Can’t
25-03-2014, 10:51 PM
I reckon the semi-final is 50/50

Injury Time
25-03-2014, 11:10 PM
I reckon the semi-final is 50/50

Really? You see I think it could go either way.

IBK
26-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Very. Good. Post. Zimm :gp: