PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs West Ham (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
15-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Routine stuff in the end, took us a long time to do anything of note. On we go.

And come on Crystal Pulis.

Heisenberg
15-04-2014, 08:41 PM
My goodness, it's good to have Ramsey back. So much more movement.

GP
15-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Enjoyed that. Really comfortable in the end.

Carroll is properly shit.

IBK
15-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Thought the players put in a shift tonight and well done for coming back. Big problem for this team is reproducing this tempo against the big teams away from home. Oh, and Ramsey made a massive difference - but this was one of Cazorla's best games for us for a while.

Chippy
15-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Thought the players put in a shift tonight and well done for coming back. Big problem for this team is reproducing this tempo against the big teams away from home. Oh, and Ramsey made a massive difference - but this was one of Cazorla's best games for us for a while.
Good effort after a draining game at Wembley. Happy for Pod! Just so annoying that we have to rely on Everton dropping points. They are still favourites in my opinion!

IBK
15-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Good effort after a draining game at Wembley. Happy for Pod! Just so annoying that we have to rely on Everton dropping points. They are still favourites in my opinion!

I think I'd call it evens now. 3 home games against poorer teams and Norwich away. We should win all 4 and would be surprised if we don't finish 4th if we do.

Gooner23
15-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Best 2nd half I've seen from us in a long time, really enjoyable to watch for a change.

Defence were good, thought Verms in particular did well out of position. Arteta and Poldi good. Giroud terrible first half but good second. MOM Santi though, he was quality throughout. But to be fair, they all put in a shift.

Never thought I'd want Pubis to do us a favour.

Globalgunner
15-04-2014, 09:02 PM
As usual they put us through the wringer, but much better performance than we've seen for a while......Poldi. He is class, Imagine having him and RVP on the same team......goals galore. Giroud went from diabolical to unbelievable....Nice feeling this.

Munchies
15-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Apparently this was the first game we won since Ozil got injured.

Been that long ? Wow

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlSrEy0CcAAELrZ.jpg

fakeyank
15-04-2014, 09:21 PM
I think I'd call it evens now. 3 home games against poorer teams and Norwich away. We should win all 4 and would be surprised if we don't finish 4th if we do.

Hull is away though

Marc Overmars
15-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Good win, much needed.

Started pretty shit as usual but once we got going it was pretty comfortable. Some nice goals scored as well.

gunnerrrrr
15-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Ramsey is world class.

Such a shame that between Wenger and the rest of the incompetent medical team we could not get the guy back to fitness sooner.

Chippy
15-04-2014, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=gunnerrrrr;388301]Ramsey is world class.

Such a shame that between Wenger and the rest of the incompetent medical team we could not get the guy back to fitness sooner.[/QUOTE
:gp:
Yep! We must get rid of Harold Shipman!

KSE Comedy Club
15-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Any gifs of the goals?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Pretty uninspired first half performance, but pretty solid start to the second half confidence grew and grew, west ham looked less and less likely to get back into the game as the match went off and eventually we killed the game off.

Three excellent goals this evening as well in terms of great finishing from the strikers, after a nervy first half the defence looked a lot more composed and in control. Ramsey had a very effective cameo performance, looked our most inventive player in midfield.

Injury Time
15-04-2014, 10:22 PM
My eldest coming along was yet again a lucky charm, her favourite player is Santi btw "because he can play football properly" is the reason she gives. Back to the need to let one in before we go direct and open up the taps :sulk: we little bit suffrered lack of Gibbs (is he dedead agin?), Pod fitness seems to be improving, he was desperate for his hattrick.
Second half was much better as was Giroud, guess his pro-plus kicked in :shrug:
Anyway West Ham for breaking out the "are you totnumb in disguise" at 1 up <_< to our fans repeating it at 1-1, 2-1 & 3-1 :fingers: I fucking hate West Ham :pal:

Munchies
15-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Any gifs of the goals?

http://arsenalist.com/

Loads there for the game

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Giroud's goal was incredible. Couldn't believe it when I saw it....especially after his first half chance which was horrific!

Fortunately Santi's team mates were on his wavelength today otherwise a few would have been slaughtering him for being crap and not trying and needing to be sold....

Good to see Kos back in the centre of defence and Podolski really did put a shift in. Lovely taken goals and nothing new in that regard.

Özil's Panoramic View
16-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Much needed win. 4 more to go.

Podolski. :bow:

Among the very best finishers in the world without a doubt.

Bif. :bow:

Was diabolical for the most part, yet pulled a goal from out the top drawer.

Cathorla. :bow:

His best game in a while. Weaved a bit like magic throughout game and was rightly awarded MotM.

Rambo. :bow:

Oh how he was missed. A few exquisite touches in that cameo, one leading to an assist.

The Arsenal. :bow:

Up The Gunners! :scarf:

KSE Comedy Club
16-04-2014, 06:34 AM
http://arsenalist.com/

Loads there for the game

:tiphat:

selassie
16-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I thought we played quite well last night, especially towards the end of the first half and for large parts of the second half. Much needed win and confidence boost for our fight for 4th place, good news on the returning players too, Ramsey did well last night and Ozil is apparently back on Sunday. The squad is starting to look good again, let's hope we can keep everybody fit now!

Power n Glory
16-04-2014, 07:25 AM
A very poor first half but we took it to them for the 2nd. Some sublime goals. Giroud can play like a lump of shit but my my that goal was a thing of beauty. Silky touch whilst slightly off balance and bang. Through the keepers legs! Top goal. Also noticed a brief moment where we dribbled on the ball for a few seconds on the edge of the box, dished off the pass and then charged into the box. It led to nothing but that's the sort of aggression I want to see from him around the box. He'd be difficult to stop if he moved with that sort of speed all the time. The static play and trying flicks around the corner needs to be to we down.

Pod's first goal and finish was excellent and that third goal was great team play. Wenger is missing a trick by not playing him as a striker or 2nd striker. Both goals came from the same position in the box and he executed perfectly. Good to see he got his full 90 minutes too. Still not a winger by a long shot and we need to adjust his playing position because his finishing is lethal.

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 08:40 AM
1st half was typical of what we have been serving up lately. Giroud playing like a non-league striker doesn't help but nobody runs beyond him - we look so flat in an attacking sense. 2nd half possibly the best football we've played for a few months. You can see what the energy & runs of Rambo does for us, we finally had someone running past their backline,off the ball. With Rambo & Ozil now available we need to use Ox in a wider Theo type role. We don't need him in the middle of the pitch, he loses possession to much in tight areas - get him out wide running at defenders. If we do this we can win all 4 games left & lift the cup.

Özim
16-04-2014, 08:48 AM
As far as I see it we won a game we should expect to win against a side with nothing to play for.

Decent goals, Podolski clearly should be playing as he'll score goals and is our best striker no question, I pretty much expect us to win every game until the end of the season (we should based on our fixtures).

I watched the post match interview by Wenger and watched him on the touchline and 4th place means so much to him, he celebrates it like he was winning the CL or PL, he's also clearly very proud of his team, his attitude gives me the impression he's happy with his squad and that he doesn't feel it needs much in the summer.

It only takes Wenger 2-3 results to perk up and believe his team are the best thing since sliced bread, he seems to be at that stage again now and come the end of the season if we win the games we're expected to win I fully expect him to talk about our end of season unbeaten mini run and the spirit and togetherness of his team.

Letters
16-04-2014, 08:51 AM
As far as I see it we won a game we should expect to win against a side with nothing to play for.
:lol:

Özim
16-04-2014, 08:52 AM
:lol:

What are you saying it wasn't and that West Ham do have something to play for?

We're at home against a smaller club, West Ham are safe from relegation, please tell me which part of my statement isn't true?

Letters
16-04-2014, 08:58 AM
It's obviously true but it's textbook Zim.
We had a tough game on Saturday which went to extra time. It was a chance to go back above Everton and put a bit of pressure on.
If we'd lost or drawn it would have been all "we bottled it" or similar.
We win so it's all dismissive.

Yes, it's a game we should have won but we did and by all accounts played well in the 2nd half. But hey, any chance to have another dig at Wenger. You were WUMming throughout the match thread, you're doing the same here.

Özim
16-04-2014, 09:04 AM
It's obviously true but it's textbook Zim.
We had a tough game on Saturday which went to extra time. It was a chance to go back above Everton and put a bit of pressure on.
If we'd lost or drawn it would have been all "we bottled it" or similar.
We win so it's all dismissive.

Yes, it's a game we should have won but we did and by all accounts played well in the 2nd half. But hey, any chance to have another dig at Wenger. You were WUMming throughout the match thread, you're doing the same here.

I'm not that impressed with a result I expected us to get tbh, had we not won it yes I'd have been annoyed as I fully expected us to win this, it's the same old same old fight for 4th place which we'll invariably get, but 4th place really means little to me so it doesn't get any brownie points.

Frankly I'm pretty tired and underwhelmed by anything Wenger's team does these days, I know how this is going to go, we'll get a few results and he'll preach in the summer about how well we've done, it's all very predictable....the truth is since December we've largely been average thus a few good results at the end of the season won't change much for me.

Oh and Giroud may have scored a goal, but it really doesn't make up for the fact he's a very average player and nowhere near the 1st team, I hope he leaves in the summer, he won't of course because Wenger loves him for some odd reason, Podolski isn't perfect but at least he's a goal threat.

Globalgunner
16-04-2014, 09:14 AM
We won the match its true but then again we should. We have won all 6 of our previous matches against the Hammers so winning was expected and also much needed, but given the current circumstances, where we are in a life or death battle with Everton for 4th. It was a good performance. We need to step up and win all our remaining games. Its not a dig at Wenger to lament the position we find ourselves in, simply a sad indictment of our policies that has brought us here.

I think the last thing any true fan would want is another season like this

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-04-2014, 09:27 AM
It only takes Wenger 2-3 results to perk up and believe his team are the best thing since sliced bread, he seems to be at that stage again now and come the end of the season if we win the games we're expected to win I fully expect him to talk about our end of season unbeaten mini run and the spirit and togetherness of his team.

Or the fact that he knows it was a must win game and it's the first game he was won outright in almost a month.

AFC Leveller
16-04-2014, 09:35 AM
The Pod's finishing is the best we have (Theo too) and i like his no nononsense finishing, keep it up. Giroud's goal was excellent but he owe dus one for that shocking piece of showboating in the first half.

Santi was good, Arteta was okay (he usually is against bottom 10 sides) and Ramsey gave us some spark that we have missed since he got injured.

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm not that impressed with a result I expected us to get tbh, had we not won it yes I'd have been annoyed as I fully expected us to win this, it's the same old same old fight for 4th place which we'll invariably get, but 4th place really means little to me so it doesn't get any brownie points.

Frankly I'm pretty tired and underwhelmed by anything Wenger's team does these days, I know how this is going to go, we'll get a few results and he'll preach in the summer about how well we've done, it's all very predictable....the truth is since December we've largely been average thus a few good results at the end of the season won't change much for me.

Oh and Giroud may have scored a goal, but it really doesn't make up for the fact he's a very average player and nowhere near the 1st team, I hope he leaves in the summer, he won't of course because Wenger loves him for some odd reason, Podolski isn't perfect but at least he's a goal threat.

Understand your feelings & frustrations because I have them aswell but the difference for me is that we have been playing such shit football for a while now & I don't expect to win these games. If we play crap football in the last 4 games & fail to make top 4 then its "hat's off" to Everton, they've played better football then us recently & have a manager who makes a mockery of the idiots who think that longevity is a must when it comes to success as a manager. They would simply deserve it - the league table doesn't lie. However, for the 1st time in a long time I was pleased with our 2nd half performance & with Rambo & Ozil back I hope we can continue playing at a faster pace & with players making forward runs. If we do & use Ox in a Theo type role we could finish the season strongly. Then because of our 1st half of the season, we would deserve our place in the top 4. If Wenger decides to play Flamini & Arteta together again in his pathetic negative style then we won't win these games & will deservedly finish out of the top 4. He completely ruined our momentum earlier in the season by trying to play defensively & because he never learns his lesson it wouldn't surprise me if he does it again.

Özim
16-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Or the fact that he knows it was a must win game and it's the first game he was won outright in almost a month.

He's done the same thing in previous seasons so not it's not just that I don't think, it was more a general point.

Letters
16-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Frankly I'm pretty tired and underwhelmed by anything Wenger's team does these days, I know how this is going to go, we'll get a few results and he'll preach in the summer about how well we've done, it's all very predictable.....
So you wouldn't see the FA Cup as any progress or a step in the right direction?

Özim
16-04-2014, 10:29 AM
So you wouldn't see the FA Cup as any progress or a step in the right direction?

I will love us winning the FA Cup, but seeing how our league season has gone is deja vu for me.

I wouldn't have a problem with things if I could see it changing next season, I just don't believe it will, Wenger is a manager who has too much belief in something that hasn't really worked and doesn't seem to have the flexibility in his approach to change and that's where the big issue is.

It's pretty clear we need to make certain changes in the summer, a change in style of play to something more pacey and a few key signings, but does anyone actually believe Wenger will do what we need, I really don't.

I can't watch another collapse, I expect it but that doesn't mean I want it to happen and yet it happens time and time again, I don't think he's able to setup his teams to last the distance in the big competitions, there's something they're missing he just doesn't seem able to give them.

Power n Glory
16-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Just like the media that keep repeating the 'trophy draught' headlines, I think you misunderstand why Arsenal fans are frustrated with the manager and club. It's not just about silverware.

Letters
16-04-2014, 10:51 AM
No, it's not just about silverware but that is a part of it as it's linked to the idea that we bottle it on the big occasion and can't finish the job.
If we win the FA Cup then it will show we can finish the job which could be a springboard to further progress.

Özim
16-04-2014, 10:54 AM
No, it's not just about silverware but that is a part of it as it's linked to the idea that we bottle it on the big occasion and can't finish the job.
If we win the FA Cup then it will show we can finish the job which could be a springboard to further progress.

I don't think it's that simple, look at how it's gone in the league, another collapse, now tell me things have changed?

Wenger isn't going to do what we need, he's still obsessed with the min Barcelona idea even if we don't implement it too well these days and he's poor at identifying the right players for the team in the transfer market, I don't see how anything is going to change when the manager continues to be so blinkered when it comes to his team.

Letters
16-04-2014, 10:59 AM
What's changed is we're on the verge of our first major trophy in 9 years. Finish the job there and it will surely give us more confidence as a squad and club.
The title was never on my radar this year and while I am disappointed at how badly we've fallen away I don't think many of us had serious thoughts we could win it this year. We clearly need more up front.

AFC Leveller
16-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I dunno about you guys but ever since that CC final defeat to Birmingham, i've made up my mind that we'll never win another trophy/title under Wenger and even tough we're up ahgainst Hull city, part me doesnt believe we'll win it. It feels like its fate.

Özim
16-04-2014, 11:29 AM
What's changed is we're on the verge of our first major trophy in 9 years. Finish the job there and it will surely give us more confidence as a squad and club.
The title was never on my radar this year and while I am disappointed at how badly we've fallen away I don't think many of us had serious thoughts we could win it this year. We clearly need more up front.

Funny how you call it a major trophy, when most have been calling it small time for years, I personally agree it is still a big trophy.

We haven't finished the job yet, but I still think our shocking collapse with some absolute spankings this season leaves some real questions unanswered, I'm not going to sweep those under the carpet as they are very pertinent, it almost feels like they haven't happened sometimes in here.

You don't get beaten so convincingly as much as we have this season without some serious issues IMO, I don't know of too many managers that would survive with their jobs after beatings like that.

Munchies
16-04-2014, 11:34 AM
What do people think about having Pods and Giroud upfront as a 2 ?

Maybe a 4-3-1-2 , with the 3 being : Ramsey, Arteta/Flam, Ox , the one being Ozil/Cazorla, and Giroud/Pods uptop.

Letters
16-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Funny how you call it a major trophy, when most have been calling it small time for years, I personally agree it is still a big trophy.
Beggars can't be choosers...
It has definitely been devalued by the CL which is a shame but it's still a major trophy.

It's been a weird league season, the first two thirds were far better than any of us could have reasonably expected and have got some really good results this year in games which last year we'd have dropped points. But the spankings are a worry. I don't think whether the manager keeps his job should be based on a few games though, it should be based on how we do over a season and not too many managers who finish 4th (if we do) and win the Cup would be losing their jobs. There is a context to all this of course but still, if you'd given me 4th and the FA Cup at the start of the season I'd have been pretty happy with that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-04-2014, 11:51 AM
I dunno about you guys but ever since that CC final defeat to Birmingham, i've made up my mind that we'll never win another trophy/title under Wenger and even tough we're up ahgainst Hull city, part me doesnt believe we'll win it. It feels like its fate.

No i think most of us probably have in the back of their mind the doubt over whether we can win another trophy under Wenger, and i think even though we are playing Hull City.....not Man City, Man United, Chelsea i think most fans are not in anyway taking a win for granted.
Frankly i don't really approach any game at the moment expecting us to win....haven't for years.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Beggars can't be choosers...
It has definitely been devalued by the CL which is a shame but it's still a major trophy.

It's been a weird league season, the first two thirds were far better than any of us could have reasonably expected and have got some really good results this year in games which last year we'd have dropped points. But the spankings are a worry. I don't think whether the manager keeps his job should be based on a few games though, it should be based on how we do over a season and not too many managers who finish 4th (if we do) and win the Cup would be losing their jobs. There is a context to all this of course but still, if you'd given me 4th and the FA Cup at the start of the season I'd have been pretty happy with that.

I agree with your last sentiment, i think most fans would have taken 4th and fa cup at the start of the season....but 4 wins from 12 whoever you happen to be playing isn't a particurlarly acceptable return. And whilst we did well in the first half of the season it was relatively deceptive because of the teams we were playing, and i'm really not seeing the improvement from last season in terms of overall league performance. The record against the big sides has been worrying, not just this season but in general for years....take Man United for example we have won once in our last eleven games against them and when you think about how bad they have been this season, you have to think there is a massive psychological block there....these teams have had consistently better players than us but there isn't the massive gap that the head to head results suggest.

selassie
16-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I agree with your last sentiment, i think most fans would have taken 4th and fa cup at the start of the season....but 4 wins from 12 whoever you happen to be playing isn't a particurlarly acceptable return. And whilst we did well in the first half of the season it was relatively deceptive because of the teams we were playing, and i'm really not seeing the improvement from last season in terms of overall league performance. The record against the big sides has been worrying, not just this season but in general for years....take Man United for example we have won once in our last eleven games against them

Yep, totally agree.

I think the collapse and thrashings have pretty much removed any confidence I had left in Wenger. I understand one freak result...but to be thrashed by the 3 clubs above us in a similar manner is totally unacceptable.

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 12:04 PM

Maybe a 4-3-1-2 , with the 3 being : Ramsey, Arteta/Flam, Ox , the one being Ozil/Cazorla, and Giroud/Pods uptop.

Why not - It cant be any worse than the garbage that Wenger has us playing at the moment. The good thing about this line up is that we would have to get the ball upfield quicker & stop fucking about with it in the middle of the pitch, going sideways, backwards or getting caught in dangerous areas. The only difference for me would be to use Ox's pace up top alongside either Polds or Giroud. I would play Ozil as the 1 & Rambo, Arteta, Cazorla as the 3.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-04-2014, 12:59 PM
To be somewhat pedantic I actually thought we were looking something like ourselves again before the second half even started in the first half and right before they scored. Their goal was against the run of play but going forward we were looking likely to score.

I would take the revolving sponsorship cup over 4th place never mind the FA cup and for me it is pretty much every bit as meaningful a trophy as it always has been. Not too arsed how the football collective see's it generally. The embarrassing defeats have been abject and downright shameful and I hope Wenger takes a good hard look at himself over them, but IF we win the FA cup then I'd say a significant amount has changed for the very fact we've finally won a bloody trophy. It's not like we haven't been trying the last 9 years.

That's not the same as saying enough has changed or the manager is the man to take us forward but winning the FA cup would be a marked turn of events to say the least in my view. It is easy to forget the ability within a squad when half your team is out but the likes of Ozil, Ramsey, Chamberlain are proper quality and the type that can take this club forward. Even though he didn't score, you could see why Ramsey has scored so many last night.

Power n Glory
16-04-2014, 01:13 PM
This season has raised more questions then it's answered and that's enough for me. We had money to spend but we didn't use it wisely.

The top player we've bought has lost form and confidence very quickly because of bad management. People will continue to quote the Pires example regarding adaption time but the same argument was used for players like Chamakh, Gervinho, Giroud and other struggling players. It's 50/50 on Ozil finding his true form.

Injuries are still bad and it's made worse by Wenger keeping a small squad and under using his bench players.

Wenger is tactically stubborn and won't change things even if he sees the team struggling. No change in formation, change in position, approach....it's not enough at this level.

I doubt the cup will sort this mental block. For starters, the majority of players haven't been at Arsenal long enough to be really effected by the trophy draught. It makes no sense for this team to get jittery and choke.

Özim
16-04-2014, 01:26 PM
This season has raised more questions then it's answered and that's enough for me. We had money to spend but we didn't use it wisely.

The top player we've bought has lost form and confidence very quickly because of bad management. People will continue to quote the Pires example regarding adaption time but the same argument was used for players like Chamakh, Gervinho, Giroud and other struggling players. It's 50/50 on Ozil finding his true form.

Injuries are still bad and it's made worse by Wenger keeping a small squad and under using his bench players.

Wenger is tactically stubborn and won't change things even if he sees the team struggling. No change in formation, change in position, approach....it's not enough at this level.

I doubt the cup will sort this mental block. For starters, the majority of players haven't been at Arsenal long enough to be really effected by the trophy draught. It makes no sense for this team to get jittery and choke.

Yeah I agree with this to many problems with the current setup which won't IMO ever been sorted, it's not like he's not had the opportunity to fix many of these, rather than doing so he's convinced himself crocks will stay fit all season and that we've got what it takes to beat teams without proper tactics to counter their players and an adaptable style.

I don't really see what is going to change, this season when things have been going wrong early in games, he's sat there and done nothing, I'm not sure what kind of management that is, he should at least try and change something.

On top of that we've taken some particularly bad beatings this season, which IMO based on our current position shows an element of going backwards rather than forwards seeing as we're 4th but having played a game more.

Letters
16-04-2014, 01:27 PM
The top player we've bought has lost form and confidence very quickly because of bad management.
Care to elaborate? What bad management?

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Care to elaborate? What bad management?

Erm - how about buying one of the worlds best attacking play makers & then asking him to become Lee Cattermole. Watch the away game against Napoli, he was obviously under strict instructions not to venture over the halfway line due to his defensive duties - This is Ozil we are talking about. If you want defensive play Jenks, Vermaelen or Gibbs in midfield but don't ask someone like Ozil to do it - he's never done it, so it would suggest he won't be very good at it.
Then add to that the after Rambo's injury we had nobody running past a very static Giroud at any point during a game - with a player like Ozil you have to give him targets getting into goal scoring opportunities. We have given him nothing to aim at, no ways of getting beyond defenses to do what he does best, we have failed him - not the other way round.

Letters
16-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Strict instructions :lol:

Letters
16-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I watched the post match interview by Wenger and watched him on the touchline and 4th place means so much to him.
It's interesting how when it suits you you take his words and actions as proof positive how much he cares, but when things aren't going so well you ignore his clear frustration and say he isn't bothered about us winning.

Globalgunner
16-04-2014, 02:58 PM
It's interesting how when it suits you you take his words and actions as proof positive how much he cares, but when things aren't going so well you ignore his clear frustration and say he isn't bothered about us winning.
4th place and winning aren`t really the same thing

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Strict instructions :lol:

Any other response to what I posted apart from the usual pathetic sarcasm - How about how you disagree that he has been managed badly.

Injury Time
16-04-2014, 03:09 PM
No mention of Rosicky last night, I appreciate Santi was good but it was Rosicky (IMHO) that bought the energy and movement to unstick him from a potential plodding performance. Kim looked solid & nice to see him, Rosicky and even Pod with some "robust" challenges. As I said earlier not loving the general lack of directness pre-Spam goal.
I think Pod has been put on the wing to get him fit...

Maestro
16-04-2014, 03:10 PM

To be fair to Zim, when we were being handed our arse in the thrashings this year Wenger sat there, lifeless and shell-shocked ..no reaction, no getting on the touchline to cajole, organise and instruct ...absolutely nothing, giving the impression he was clueless as to any sort of answer or response to the pummeling we were taking. To me he came across as a man resigned to our fate and accepting that we had no response, until of course for the lame stato substitutions at 68 minutes, long after we'd been raped.

...on the other hand, now that we are desperately fighting for 4th spot and facing the lesser lights in the league, he's all up on his feet early in games cajoling, organising and instructing ...get the picture

Letters
16-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Any other response to what I posted apart from the usual pathetic sarcasm - How about how you disagree that he has been managed badly.
It's just funny because Wenger is constantly criticised on here (with some justification) for not giving the players enough instruction, now he's being accused of giving players strict instructions. :shrug:

And yes, obviously Ozil needs players running on to his balls but if the players we've got who can do that are injured then that's not poor management of Ozil.

Letters
16-04-2014, 03:16 PM
4th place and winning aren`t really the same thing
But Wenger's been roundly criticised (with some justification) for saying 4th place is like a trophy. The "4th Place Trophy" is widely mentioned on here as a joke at Wenger's expense. So to him it is...

Niall_Quinn
16-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Nothing like a win to bring the doom mongers out in full force.

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 03:34 PM
It's just funny because Wenger is constantly criticised on here (with some justification) for not giving the players enough instruction, now he's being accused of giving players strict instructions. :shrug:

And yes, obviously Ozil needs players running on to his balls but if the players we've got who can do that are injured then that's not poor management of Ozil.

All players will be instructed about their personal role before a game, the fact that Ozil & the other midfielders were so deep all night would suggest this is what they were told to do because its not natural for most of our midfielders. So, we could say that the instructions whilst trying to nick a draw may have worked on others, they are the wrong instructions for someone like Ozil = Bad management.
Whilst injuries to Rambo & Theo have definitely hindered Ozil, Wenger has restricted our forward movement by regularly playing Flamini & Arteta together, asking our attacking midfielders to play deep & the biggest mistake of all - not buying pace & a goalscoring threat in Jan window when he knew he was without Rambo & Theo and that Giroud is shit = Bad management

Özim
16-04-2014, 03:38 PM

It's not actually his words, more his general demeanour and actions, I never said he doesn't like winning but I've noticed his excitement at the prospect of 4th place particularly the other night.

Özim
16-04-2014, 03:39 PM
To be fair to Zim, when we were being handed our arse in the thrashings this year Wenger sat there, lifeless and shell-shocked ..no reaction, no getting on the touchline to cajole, organise and instruct ...absolutely nothing, giving the impression he was clueless as to any sort of answer or response to the pummeling we were taking. To me he came across as a man resigned to our fate and accepting that we had no response, until of course for the lame stato substitutions at 68 minutes, long after we'd been raped.

...on the other hand, now that we are desperately fighting for 4th spot and facing the lesser lights in the league, he's all up on his feet early in games cajoling, organising and instructing ...get the picture

Great post and spot on, you can just see the excitement and hear it in his interviews too.

Letters
16-04-2014, 03:40 PM
It's not actually his words, more his general demeanour and actions.
Which you interpret however you wish on a case by case basis in order to back up what you've already decided to be the case.

Özim
16-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Nothing like a win to bring the doom mongers out in full force.

Should we change our opinion because we got a couple of wins? A couple wins doesn't really change that much and doesn't fix the problems, my opinion doesn't change whether we win or lose, it will only change when I see real signs of progression over the course of a season and a demonstration that we're willing to adapt to the changing circumstances on and off the field.

Özim
16-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Which you interpret however you wish on a case by case basis in order to back up what you've already decided to be the case.

Not really no, but I would think after the disaster in the last couple months he would be a little less excited about beating a team we should beat who have nothing to play for at home, there's nothing on the line except 4th place, it's not like the title is an option anymore.

I can understand the excitement in the FA Cup but not when you're fighing for 4th, in football terms (not financial) it's almost meaningless and yet he reacts as if his goose has just laid a golden egg.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Not really no, but I would think after the disaster in the last couple months he would be a little less excited about beating a team we should beat who have nothing to play for at home, there's nothing on the line except 4th place, it's not like the title is an option anymore.

I can understand the excitement in the FA Cup but not when you're fighing for 4th, in football terms (not financial) it's almost meaningless and yet he reacts as if his goose has just laid a golden egg.

Champions League football is key to our sustainability as a football club, and whilst the board may not put pressure on him to win trophies i can imagine they do for him to win 4th. Plus i don't care who you are, if your team hasn't won in almost a month you are going to celebrate when they do....doesn't matter who you are playing.
And to be honest i'd rather us finish 4th than 5th, because what's the point of having a new manager in at the club if he will have next to nothing to spend and we won't get in a top manager because the top manager wants to manage a club in the champions league?

Power n Glory
16-04-2014, 04:09 PM

I expected, hence the silence. Ozil has been played into the ground with the amount of games he's played. The injury was bound to happen.

fakeyank
16-04-2014, 04:17 PM

I love that idea. I want to see us line up with two up top. I understanding crowding the midfield when we are away against the likes of Chelsea, City, Liverpool but two up top is my favorite formation.

Dein-machine
16-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I expected, hence the silence. Ozil has been played into the ground with the amount of games he's played. The injury was bound to happen.

100% - its like buying a dressage horse & expecting him to finish the National. Wenger ruined Arshavin by not playing to his strengths, he's ruined Arteta by deciding he is a defensive midfielder & he'll do the same to Ozil. We've seen good improvements in the likes of Kos & Rambo but their playing where they should play & given a role that suits them.