PDA

View Full Version : Tony Pulis in ?

Munchies
16-04-2014, 08:43 PM
The job he has done for Palace has been unreal.

Solid team too.

Özim
16-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Spot on, great motivator and I'd argue manager of the year for what he's done at Palace, they were odds on for relegation before he took over!

Marc Overmars
16-04-2014, 08:57 PM
He's a ****.

But in fairness it's quite impressive how he's got that sack of shit to mid table and also has one of the best defensive records in the league.

McNamara That Ghost...
16-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Holloway is a bit of a clown tbf. Also, couldn't this have just gone in the many 'next manager' threads?

selassie
16-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I absolutely hate Pulis, I loathed him so much when he was at Stoke but he's done an amazing job at Palace. He's bought well too.

Alpha
16-04-2014, 09:19 PM
He deserves credit for one thing only : beating Everton to Give Arsenal Advantage in the race for champions league spot.

LDG
16-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Utterly disgusting thread.

Ernesto
16-04-2014, 09:46 PM
It's gotta be ŕ 'yes' if only for the way he pronounces our club name...

Letters
16-04-2014, 09:49 PM
:lol: What a ridiculous thread.

Is anyone still modding on here?

Maestro
16-04-2014, 09:56 PM

:haha:

fakeyank
16-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Mods are a joke tbh.. :coffee:

Time for FY to join the team :cool:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Utterly disgusting thread.

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
17-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Humour I assume. Still a bit sick.

AFC Leveller
17-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Since he took over, only Chelsea have a better defensive record.

I hate him for his Stoke links but as a manager, he is undoubtedly good. Palace were by far the favourites to go down before he took over and looked out of depth but he has gotten them 40 points with 4 games to go and bought well too.

Any manager with tactics will appeal to Gooners these days.

Power n Glory
17-04-2014, 08:41 AM
:haha: Never!

Maestro
17-04-2014, 08:46 AM
worryingly, there appears to be a couple of people on here seemingly quite serious about getting pubis in

The Emirates Gallactico
17-04-2014, 10:04 AM
We certainly could do a lot worse that's for sure. He's no Owen Coyle.

Like Leveller alludes to above, one of the reasons he does seem appealing is that his strengths seem to contrast perfectly with Wenger's flaws. For example, clearly Pulis emphasises organisation, tactical implementation, studying opponents and developing game plans etc etc. If we could draw out these qualities and force them into Wenger, we'd have the perfect manager.

Letters
17-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Gillingham:

Football League Third Division runner-up: 1995–96
Football League Second Division play-off final runner-up: 1999

Stoke City

Football League Championship runner-up: 2007–08
FA Cup runner-up: 2010–11

Wow! Does anyone have his number?

:sarcy:

GP
17-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Gillingham:

Stoke City

I'm sure the club shop will have it on file.

I am invisible
17-04-2014, 11:05 AM
I think we should take this coaching thing to the next level when Wenger goes, and appoint a new coach every week? I mean why wait until the end of each season to see who's been the best man over 60 odd games, when we could have the best man at any given moment, forever? There's literally no downside to this plan...

AFC Leveller
17-04-2014, 11:13 AM
We certainly could do a lot worse that's for sure. He's no Owen Coyle.

Like Leveller alludes to above, one of the reasons he does seem appealing is that his strengths seem to contrast perfectly with Wenger's flaws. For example, clearly Pulis emphasises organisation, tactical implementation, studying opponents and developing game plans etc etc. If we could draw out these qualities and force them into Wenger, we'd have the perfect manager.

I remember in the 08-09 season, a lot of Gooners were talking about Phil Brown being a good manager (and so were the rags who kept linking him with the England job) when he did a decent job at Hull City but luckily for everyone concerned, he's now nowhere to be seen!

I think our next manager has to have some CL experience, has to be young and although his CV doesnt have to be full of titles, id want someone with a clear plan and startegy.

Klopp has been linked with Barcelona lately so it will be interesting to see how that pans out but im sure there are other names out there.

Football can be harsh times and can change quickly, just look at Martinez. He's doing a very good job at Everton but their loss yesterday had a few journos saying he got it wrong with his selction and he cant handle the pressure. If they lose to Man ure and/or City and finish 5th or 6th, his stock will go down and i imagine he wont be the bestest every anymore.

Özim
17-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Gillingham:

Stoke City

Sorry we forgot it's only Wenger who can win nothing for 9 years and get credit for it :run:

Niall_Quinn
17-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't know which way to vote, been mulling over it for 24 hours now - despite his lack of experience in all significant areas related to running a top club and his demonic obsession for destroying the game, he might well be a good fit at Arsenal. Then again, maybe not. God, it's a tough one.

Özim
17-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't want Pulis as manager personally, but I do think his ability to motivate and organise a team is great, like I said what he's done at Palace has been sensational given they were as good as down, now they're a tough game for anyone and hard to beat.

I also agree with the sentiments that the appeal is that he offers what Wenger doesn't, our next manager needs to be more rounded than Wenger who has certain limitations which in today's game just don't work.

Özim
17-04-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't know which way to vote, been mulling over it for 24 hours now - despite his lack of experience in all significant areas related to running a top club and his demonic obsession for destroying the game, he might well be a good fit at Arsenal. Then again, maybe not. God, it's a tough one.

Same could have been said about Rodgers before he joined Liverpool, just because you've managed a top club it doesn't mean you're good and vice versa.

Niall_Quinn
17-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Same could have been said about Rodgers before he joined Liverpool, just because you've managed a top club it doesn't mean you're good and vice versa.

Agreed. I'm not at all against getting Pulis in, and his philosophy is very similar to Rodgers'. But there are other options out there. Pardew, he goes the extra mile on the touchline rather than sitting there like a lemon - at least when he's allowed in the stadium. Mancini might be tempted, no problem in the transfer market with him, he'll buy anything. We missed out on Moyes but if he's sacked for being a massive flop then we should be first in line to snap him up.

AFC Leveller
17-04-2014, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't want Pulis as manager personally, but I do think his ability to motivate and organise a team is great, like I said what he's done at Palace has been sensational given they were as good as down, now they're a tough game for anyone and hard to beat.

I also agree with the sentiments that the appeal is that he offers what Wenger doesn't, our next manager needs to be more rounded than Wenger who has certain limitations which in today's game just don't work.

Pubis has achieved what he set out to do and you could say has performed better than his rivals so i think people should judge him on that rather than what trophies he has won.

If the club + Wenger have set out to finish in top 4 all these years then i guess he too has done a great job but we dont know half the story, we dont know if we had money or not, we dont know what the target was, we dont know much really. However, what we do know is that the coaching side has been neglected, the manager is tacticaaly not that great and the motivation and calibre of the players has also cost us for far too long.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-04-2014, 11:55 AM
I sense Pulis is more a manager for a relegation battle / mid table club rather than a swashbuckling attack minded top European club, but fair play to him. He did a Harry Houdini keeping them up. Anyone that could get any kind of tune out of Chamakh is doing something majestic.....

Maybe I'm doing him a disservice though and he is really Mourinho with a cheaper suit.....perhaps even better as he doesn't need the gold or slag his forwards off all season non stop. :d

Martinez has no CL experience and even if he finishes 7th with Everton he's done well and I really do like him as a manager.

Letters
17-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Sorry we forgot it's only Wenger who can win nothing for 9 years and get credit for it :run:
That's not what he gets credit for...

But at least he has won some major trophies in his time, quite a few. Pulis has done fine but he's achieved nothing of note in his career. He's done well at Palace but it's a bit of a leap to think he could manage a top level club.

GP
17-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Pulis would be a disaster zone for any top club.

Özim
17-04-2014, 01:23 PM
That's not what he gets credit for...

But at least he has won some major trophies in his time, quite a few. Pulis has done fine but he's achieved nothing of note in his career. He's done well at Palace but it's a bit of a leap to think he could manage a top level club.

No he gets credit for getting 4th place a position noone cared about until money became the most important factor in football. The powers that be then decided that in order to make sure all big clubs were happy and not going to form their own league, they'd let 4 teams from one country into Europe's premier competition.

Yes he has but that was a long time ago now (almost a decade), Pulis has only had jobs at clubs who were realistically not going to fight for trophies, he's worked for clubs whose marker for success was promotion or staying in the PL and on that score he's delivered.

I'm not saying he should be our manager, but he gets the best out of the players at his disposal, something not many managers can do and also studies the opposition and sets up his teams tactics using this knowledge, two things we definitely need our next manager to be able to do as we lack these in abundance at the moment.

In a sense it's good to see Liverpool doing so well, it shows many of our fans what could be rather than accepting the clubs stance that we can't compete, Rodgers has done in 2 seasons what Wenger has been trying to do in the last 9.

Letters
17-04-2014, 01:29 PM
No he gets credit for getting 4th place a position noone cared about until money became the most important factor in football
As he should. And I think we both agree that football shouldn't be this way but it is what it is. And we both agree he should have delivered some trophies in that time, hopefully he will this year. In the thoroughly enjoyable 92/93 season we could flirt with relegation and concentrate on the cups, that is no longer acceptable.

Pulis has only had jobs at clubs who were realistically not going to fight for trophies
Yeah, there's probably a reason for that...

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-04-2014, 01:44 PM
As he should. And I think we both agree that football shouldn't be this way but it is what it is. And we both agree he should have delivered some trophies in that time, hopefully he will this year. In the thoroughly enjoyable 92/93 season we could flirt with relegation and concentrate on the cups, that is no longer acceptable.

Yeah, there's probably a reason for that...

Pulis is excellent at doing what he does and acheiving mid table stability at clubs that would struggle against relegation, but that's not a transferable skill into top club management. It's not like Martinez who is a manager learning his trade so its hard to see that he would get any better. That said if Wenger goes this season and whilst he's not out of the woods, 4th place and much coveted silverware is not the distant prospect it was a week ago.....I wouldn't want Martinez taking over. I think he has potential but I'd like to see how he does with Everton for the next few seasons before considering him.
It could be quite beneficial for Wenger to stay until 2016 and ear mark Martinez as a potential replacement then.

Özim
17-04-2014, 01:47 PM
I'd prefer Simeone, his team seem to have a hunger and resilience about them I'd like to see us have, they also play decent football. I also don't want to wait another 2 years, 9 years of this is plenty enough for me, don't want to go through another 2 seasons of this, it's just not enjoyable.

I don't really understand why fans want to endure another 2 years of the same old same old, nothing is ever going to change. As for Martinez, his sides seem to be prone to the odd thrashing, I'm not convinced with him, he's not bad but not right for us IMO.

Dein-machine
17-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Don't want Pulis near my club but for those dismissing him because we have Le Prof in charge just look at how he set his team up last night to stop Everton playing. Very different to the pathetic showing we put on at Goodison a few weeks ago. Guess what - it meant attacking them, something that Le Prof seems to have forgotten about. If you don't want Baines & Coleman running you ragged down the sides put pace down both flanks - it stops the team in its tracks because as Martinez showed last night Wenger style, he doesn't have much of a plan B.

Penguin
17-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Pulis?! :haha:

/delete thread

I am invisible
17-04-2014, 01:57 PM
The problem I see with guys like Pulis is they never seem to be able to adapt once other clubs start getting wise to them? They're great at causing shocks, and unruffling a few feathers while everyone is writing their sides off, but that's all they seem to have - once opponents start treating them with more respect, the results tail off, and they don't seem to have any other ideas to keep it going? I will say this for him though - his sides at least make you work for it, even when you start to work out how to get 3 points off them on a regular basis...

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-04-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd prefer Simeone, his team seem to have a hunger and resilience about them I'd like to see us have, they also play decent football. I also don't want to wait another 2 years, 9 years of this is plenty enough for me, don't want to go through another 2 seasons of this, it's just not enjoyable.

I don't really understand why fans want to endure another 2 years of the same old same old, nothing is ever going to change. As for Martinez, his sides seem to be prone to the odd thrashing, I'm not convinced with him, he's not bad but not right for us IMO.

Apart from against Liverpool...I don't think they have been thrashed by anyone. The 4-1 against us they were in the game right till the last ten minutes.
There is also the 3-1 against city don't regard that as a thrashing considering the bumming some sides have taken there.
But like I say I think, it's going to be hard to determine how good he is until he's been there another year or so.
Diego Simeone, I tend to think him coming to us would at best be a sideways move....plus I'm pretty sure he can't speak English, unlike Pochettino who can but chooses not to.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-04-2014, 02:24 PM
No he gets credit for getting 4th place a position noone cared about until money became the most important factor in football. The powers
In a sense it's good to see Liverpool doing so well, it shows many of our fans what could be rather than accepting the clubs stance that we can't compete, Rodgers has done in 2 seasons what Wenger has been trying to do in the last 9.

Roger's hasn't won the league....yet. I agree though, the 'we can't compete' stance is wearing thin. This is the football climate we are presented with and there are grotesque billionaire behemoths all around us. Let's at least make a fist of it. Our financial clout not existing is becoming increasingly untrue as our resources and reserves swell.

Ironically.....and this does not excuse him, Wenger will (probably) be the only manager left who's team have not been out of the top 4.

Manchester United are heading waaay out of it, Liverprool have spent age's out of it, Everton have seldom been in it nor Spuds and City and Chelsea have been out of it or not in it a long time....

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Not convinced of Simeone and I think he may well be one of those divisive managers behind the scenes. It's all going well so there isn't exactly signs of a fracas per se, but it is going well so what is there to groan about. There are very few teams in La Liga capable of metering out a battering to his team too unlike in this league where Palace can beat Everton, though Atletico are obviously better than Everton.

I actually don't think another a year or two will tell us as much as it should about Martinez. Everton are far from flush and I think there is a limited amount he will be able to do there hence why a few of his best players are loan signings.

No guy is ever going to appear a perfect fit to take over the club...there will always be something to question but I do think we have to think in terms of not just who is the right man, but who has the ability to become the right man for the club.

Letters
17-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Not really. Rogers has done very well and I hope they win it but there are several things which need to be considered.

They have (I believe) posted a huge loss for each of the last 2 years. That isn't sustainable and while I think Wenger has been over-cautious we're clearly working in a more sustainable way and the new commercials deals will give us more financial muscle. Last summer's bid for Suarez and Ozil signing were the first signs of that.

Liverpool haven't had any European football this year and they've had poor cup runs, I believe in total they will have played 42 games by the end of the season. We have had 10 CL games and we're in the FA Cup final so that's another 6 games. Let's see how they do next year when they've just had a tough away CL game and then have to come back and play a tough league game at the weekend, it does add significant strain on a squad.

They are massively reliant on one exceptional player. They'd still be a good side without him but champions? I seriously doubt it. If he picks up an injury or in the summer his head gets turned (he is bound to be the subject of a huge bid from someone) then I can't see them being as good next year.

Last time they came this close to the title they got 86 points, they could get 3 more this year at most . The year after that they finished 7th with 63 points. Let's see them have a sustained period of success first before crowning Rogers as the new messiah.

Özil's Panoramic View
17-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Shit thread.

Absolute worst thread ever.

Ffs my breakfast all of a sudden has a sour taste.

:sick:

Özim
17-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Not really. Rogers has done very well and I hope they win it but there are several things which need to be considered.

They have (I believe) posted a huge loss for each of the last 2 years. That isn't sustainable and while I think Wenger has been over-cautious we're clearly working in a more sustainable way and the new commercials deals will give us more financial muscle. Last summer's bid for Suarez and Ozil signing were the first signs of that.

Liverpool haven't had any European football this year and they've had poor cup runs, I believe in total they will have played 42 games by the end of the season. We have had 10 CL games and we're in the FA Cup final so that's another 6 games. Let's see how they do next year when they've just had a tough away CL game and then have to come back and play a tough league game at the weekend, it does add significant strain on a squad.

They are massively reliant on one exceptional player. They'd still be a good side without him but champions? I seriously doubt it. If he picks up an injury or in the summer his head gets turned (he is bound to be the subject of a huge bid from someone) then I can't see them being as good next year.

Last time they came this close to the title they got 86 points, they could get 3 more this year at most . The year after that they finished 7th with 63 points. Let's see them have a sustained period of success first before crowning Rogers as the new messiah.

You have to speculate to accumulate, the over cautious approach isn't going to reap any rewards as we've seen, Liverpool have wanted to be at the top for a long time and constantly do things to try and challenge and win trophies.

That maybe the case, all the more reason why we should not bother with the CL then and just worry about it when we actually properly challenge if it affects things that much (which I don't think it does personally).

Suarez is a top player, but even without him they have firepower with the likes of Sterling, Sturridge and Gerrard and to be honest it's irrelevant as most teams have one exceptional player, he seems pretty happy and if they win the title it's likely he'll stick around, as for being injured it's possible but he doesn't seem injury prone.

Different manager so you can't apply the same logic, he seems to be building something.

I am invisible
17-04-2014, 03:31 PM

The reduced fixture list and lack of travel are the big ones for me there. They've had to get by without Suarez at times this year, and the other title challengers all have their star players too, so I don't think that sets them apart as much as we'd like to believe? And when you go through their squad, I don't think you can say there's anything there that's beyond our means (or theirs) financially? It's fitness and freshness that have really given them their edge this year. Not just because they seem to be getting faster and stronger while the rest of us are falling to bits and relying on youth players and reserves, but also because it allows them to keep a fairly consistent starting XI each week, without having to constantly disrupt their team with regular rotation. Next year will be a far greater challenge - less recovery time, more fatigue and injuries, and all the hassle that comes with managing a bigger (more expensive) group of players.

Credit where it's due though - you can only go for what's in front of you, and Rodgers has done that well this year. Even if it turns out to be a standalone achievement, it's still impressive given the competition...

Letters
17-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Suarez has 29 goals and 12 assists and that's just in the league. And he missed a load of games as the start of the season, they're ridiculous stats.
I don't think his contribution can be overestimated.

Letters
17-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Different manager so you can't apply the same logic, he seems to be building something.
I'm not applying any logic, just making the point that as difficult it is to win the title it's harder to sustain that sort of level over several seasons.
Let's see how they do in the next couple of years with CL games to contend with and raised expectations.

I am invisible
17-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Suarez has 29 goals and 12 assists and that's just in the league. And he missed a load of games as the start of the season, they're ridiculous stats.
I don't think his contribution can be overestimated.
Of course. I'm not questioning Suarez's value to Liverpool - just saying that having a star player isn't a luxury that only Liverpool enjoy. The reduced fixture list, and the lack of midweek travel and increased recovery time that go with it, on the other hand, is an advantage that they have that City, Chelsea and us don't. Basically an on-form Suarez turns them from battling for a Europa league spot into title challengers, but the fitness and lack of fatigue is what will turn them from challengers into to winners who can go the distance.

fakeyank
17-04-2014, 07:08 PM
The point in this thread about the other names mentioned- Pulis, Martinez, Simeone, Rogers, is the fact that they have tactics. Their teams show passion and dont get whipped the moment things dont go their way. We completely and totally lack any sort of Plan B.
Barring Pulis, the other teams play entertaining attacking football. We dont play attractive football at all. There are exceptions like the second half on tuesday or the game against Spurs in the FA Cup but for the majority, our football is boring and tedious. IF I were a neutral football fan, I would not be excited to watch an Arsenal game.

Munchies
17-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Shit thread.

Absolute worst thread ever.

Ffs my breakfast all of a sudden has a sour taste.

:sick:

http://www.boxofficefootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Tony-Pulis-headbutt.jpg

In all seriousness, I do like the way he sets his teams out, and it's something Wenger has to take on board.

Palace were literally dead and buried before he came in, remember listening to their chairman on Football Focus saying how they had a plan if they went down before they appointed him and were prepared to go down.

Özil's Panoramic View
17-04-2014, 11:04 PM
http://www.boxofficefootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Tony-Pulis-headbutt.jpg

In all seriousness, I do like the way he sets his teams out, and it's something Wenger has to take on board.

Palace were literally dead and buried before he came in, remember listening to their chairman on Football Focus saying how they had a plan if they went down before they appointed him and were prepared to go down.

Fair enough, but how about he just stays where he currently is and continue doing all the admirable stuff he's been doing there?

Niall_Quinn
17-04-2014, 11:13 PM
http://youtu.be/2UbtcmjfKa8

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Basically an on-form Suarez turns them from battling for a Europa league spot into title challengers, but the fitness and lack of fatigue is what will turn them from challengers into to winners who can go the distance.
I think that's well summarised mate.

For all the managers failings I don't think any other manager could have won the title with the set of forwards we have and I would include Sir purplenose up in the clouds of Manchester in that too.... neither would they have wanted to.