PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal squad 2014/2015 (how would it look if you were in charge?)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Goalkeepers: Wojciech Szczesny, Lukasz Fabianski (would try and convince him to sign a new contract)

Defenders: Kieran Gibbs
Jetro Willems
Thomas Vermaelen
Laurent Koscielny
Per Mertesacker
Christian Zapata
Micah Richards
Carl Jenkinson

In: Jetro Willems - pacey full back for PSV would be a good back up for Gibbss
Christian Zaptata - our centre backs have been excellent this season but look light in terms of numbers and a quality addition would help us to rotate
Micah Richards - plans to leave city this summer and is a boyhood Arsenal fan

Out: Bacary Sagna - not for how he has performed this season, but the fact that he still hasn't committed long term shows he isn't committed to the cause and it doesn't help to burden the wage bill further still by giving a massive wage hike to someone who has already peaked.

Nacho Monreal - Doesn't have the pace to be of any real use to us.

Midfield: Matthieu Flamini
Aaron Ramsey
Tomas Rosicky
Santiago Cazorla
Mesut Ozil
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain
Luis Gustavo
Antoinne Griezmann
Serge Gnabry

In:

Gustavo - Replacement for Arteta, been sending out feelers that he wants to leave Wolfsburg after just one season.
Griezmann - Gives us pace on the left side

Out:

Mikael Arteta - Goes without saying
Diaby - Also goes without saying
Jack Wilshere - Very controversial, but to be honest i think we have too many central midfielders, especially if we want to bring Oxlade Chamberlain into the centre and after Arteta he has been one of the poorest performers in that position this season and i think you need to be ruthless and let him go.

Attack: Lukas Podolski
Stephan El Sharaawy
Theo Walcott
Loic Remy

In: Remy: Gives us the pace up front we are desperately lacking
El Sharaawy: Same again, can also play on the wing giving us options

Out: Giroud: Too slow and not a particurlarly good footballing brain
Bendtner: Goes without saying

Munchies
18-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Goalkeepers : Ches, Fabs , 3rd choice from Serie A or something.
Out: Viviano :wave:

Defence in : Ashley Williams, Pisczeck , another CB like Zapata as we only have 1 backup, new LB
Defence out: Monreal (total liability), Vermaelen (will probably leave) , Sagna (I'd keep him, but if he leaves),

Midfield in : Gustavo/Bender , Griezmann.
Midfield out: Arteta

Stirkers in: Loic Remy, Drmic (Swiss in Bundesliga) , and a striker in the class of Diego Costa.
Strikers out: Sanogo (on loan) , Giroud, Bendtner

---- Team using the formation Wenger has used all season:

Ches

Sagna
Kosc
BFG
Gibbs

Bender/Gustavo
Ramsey

Griezmann
Ozil
Feo

Diego Costa

fakeyank
19-04-2014, 02:05 AM
This is what my team would look like:

Szezny, Another GK

Sagna, Jenkinson

Kos, Verm, Ashley Williams, Per

Gibbs, Monreal

Bender, Flamini, Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Wilshere

Remy, Walcott, Giroud, Costa, Ox, Podolski

Manager: Diego Simeone/Martinez, Klopp, another young awesome manager

INS: Bender, Costa, Remy, Ashley Williams (or another CB), Another GK, New manager

OUTS: Sanogo, Bendtner, Arteta, Flappy, Kallstrom, Diaby, Wenger

Özil's Panoramic View
19-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Ashley Williams. :haha:

Thought this was supposed to be a serious thread.

fakeyank
19-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Ashley Williams. :haha:

Thought this was supposed to be a serious thread.

As back up to Per, Kos, Sagna, Verm... I dont see whats wrong. Cant recall him making clangers for it be a such a surprise. Or may be I am missing something here.

LDG
19-04-2014, 07:40 AM
As back up to Per, Kos, Sagna, Verm... I dont see whats wrong. Cant recall him making clangers for it be a such a surprise. Or may be I am missing something here.

Dunno.

Has he made Garth Crooks' team of the week much? If he has, we can safely assume he's shit.

Niall_Quinn
19-04-2014, 12:57 PM
If the OT is serious then a better option would be to give all the shares to Usmanov, smash up the marble and replace the boot on the Bergkamp statue with an ashtray.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
20-04-2014, 03:28 PM
If the OT is serious then a better option would be to give all the shares to Usmanov, smash up the marble and replace the boot on the Bergkamp statue with an ashtray.

speaking of which, where's my ashtray....i will insist on putting things down and not remembering where i put it.

LDG
20-04-2014, 03:30 PM
If Sagna goes, we need another RB.

If Verms goes, we need anither CB

We need a super quality mobile striker.

We need some pace on the wings.

That's about it.

I am invisible
20-04-2014, 04:20 PM
If Sagna goes, we need another RB.

If Verms goes, we need anither CB

We need a super quality mobile striker.

We need some pace on the wings.

That's about it.
If Sagna and Vermaelen both go then we'll need 2 CBs as well as a RB mate, because we're already a CB short.

Plus a new keeper if Fabianski goes.

And maybe a long-term successor to Arteta, if the opportunity us there?

Chuck in the CF and the wide man and we're looking at quite a busy summer...

LDG
20-04-2014, 04:26 PM
If Sagna and Vermaelen both go then we'll need 2 CBs as well as a RB mate, because we're already a CB short.

Pretty sure Wilshere is the Arteta replacement, long term.

You're right on the Sagna thing though. One of our best signings would be to keep him.

Munchies
20-04-2014, 04:40 PM
We're being linked with Cesc again, if thier ban gets uplifted.

Arteta out, Cesc in :coffee:

I am invisible
20-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Pretty sure Wilshere is the Arteta replacement, long term.

You're right on the Sagna thing though. One of our best signings would be to keep him.
Fact!

I do think we should be keeping an eye out for another young CM though - the situation isn't critical yet, but with Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky all in their 30s, and with Wilshere still suffering a lot of injury setbacks, I think it's something that should be on out radar, if the opportunity is there...

Penguin
20-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Arteta is pretty much a full-time DM now so Wilshere can't really be a replacement. We wont get Cesc either unless we're selling Ozil or Ramsey. :unsure:

So basically we need a GK, 2 CBs, RB, DM, Winger/wide forward & a CF? Not happening :lol:

The Emirates Gallactico
20-04-2014, 05:32 PM
As usual I think any dreams which feature mass top name incomings are being overly optimistic. I think the philsophy that Wenger has is that having more than 2 or 3 major big name first team signings in a window causes squad integration problems. And I don't think he's necessarily wrong either with that belief - just have a look at Spurs this season. A complete shambles with 10 or so new names brought in, most them struggling to integrate themselves.

Sticking with that principle, my three major signings I hope for are:

Striker: Mario Ballotelli
I have my reservations about him, not on his ability but his behaviour and temperant. But top quality strikers are a dime a dozen and incredibly difficult to acquire. Given AC Milan's current plight, I believe he should be available with the resources we have at our disposal. He's 23, so right at that age of maximum return on investment.

RM: Antoine Griezmann
Quality player with bundles of pace and energy - qualities the current team is severly lacking. Seems to have a knack of scoring goals and like Balotelli, at that perfect age. Allegedely also wanted by the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool, which demonstrates his potential. But I believe if we bid early and fast and use the French influence, he's definitely gettable.

DM - No candidate yet
I had previously been a major advocate for Lars Benders however after witnessing how easily we can get brushed of the ball (often resulting in a goal) I think we need to aim for someone's who's a lot more powerful instead of a Flamini/Busquets type runner, e.g. Viera like. Someone like Matic would have been perfect for us. There's talk about William Carvalho, but personally I'm very unimpressed by him. Hopefully our scouts can find someone.

Other Minor additions
- Young reserve goalkeeper
- Young reserve Central defender
- Young reserve striker (that Swiss guy?)

Out:
Either one of Arteta/Flamini
Either one of Podolski or Giroud (Hope it's Giroud)

LDG
20-04-2014, 05:38 PM
I love the Ballotelli idea too. He's a nutcase, but ultimately exactly what we need in a striker.

He may be suspended half the year, but if like Suarez, he can keep it down anpeg or two, we'd have a blinding player on our hands.

Niall_Quinn
20-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Trouble with Balotelli is he usually goes AWOL half way through the season to fight a revolution against a central african tyrant before setting up a ballet school for anyone from the cast of Game of Thrones who is under 5 feet (without their shoes).

LDG
20-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Trouble with Balotelli is he usually goes AWOL half way through the season to fight a revolution against a central african tyrant before setting up a ballet school for anyone from the cast of Game of Thrones who is under 5 feet (without their shoes).

Half our team have a half season off anyway, so if we can get him to cover that half, we're ok.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Suarez had proved his worth beyond doubt in this league though in spite of his questionable personality. Balotelli, didn't even wait that long. There's a lot more trouble for him to get himself into down in London and I sense that he just doesn't like the fundamental culture and modus operandi in situ in England.....especially with the press and all. I seriously doubt Wenger has the personality to keep him in line.....but if Wenger signed him, I would be just relieved he got the quality through the door over anything else at this stage....

As far as unruly personalities go too, I'd like to throw M'vila in there.... Positionally disciplined and astute a quick distributor and he's got an Isley brother beard too....

fakeyank
20-04-2014, 06:04 PM
A BIG NO for Balotelli from me. Comparing him to Suarez is wrong. Suarez might be a diving cheat but he loves to play football. I do not think Balotelli's first priority is football though.. I'd rather have Remy here instead of him.

The Emirates Gallactico
20-04-2014, 06:12 PM
A BIG NO for Balotelli from me. Comparing him to Suarez is wrong. Suarez might be a diving cheat but he loves to play football. I do not think Balotelli's first priority is football though.. I'd rather have Remy here instead of him.

These sort of world class forwards don't grow on trees - you've got to take what's available, especially considering our situation where we're sort of desperate. I'd much rather take the risk going bold with established quality like Balotelli then aim for another B list foward like Giroud.

Also, Ballotelli IMO is miles better than Remy and is also 4 years younger to boot. Despite some early great form, Remy's tailored off now and looks poor in a poor Newcastle side.

Heisenberg
20-04-2014, 06:18 PM
I don't watch enough football from other leagues to be able to offer detailed reasons in favour of probably most names mentioned. However, I have noticed that in recent times Germans appear to be pretty on the ball. Therefore I suggest we cram our team full of as many as possible.

GP
20-04-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm all for Germans, but we really need a striker more than anything.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I think Remy would be best playing wide left for us anyway and be a much easier deal to complete than Balotelli. Completely in the clubs resources to go for both though.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-04-2014, 06:34 PM

The main difference is even though Suarez misbehaves on the pitch, unlike Balotelli i don't believe he is mentally ill.

pakgunner
22-04-2014, 09:56 AM
These sort of world class forwards don't grow on trees - you've got to take what's available, especially considering our situation where we're sort of desperate. I'd much rather take the risk going bold with established quality like Balotelli then aim for another B list foward like Giroud.

Also, Ballotelli IMO is miles better than Remy and is also 4 years younger to boot. Despite some early great form, Remy's tailored off now and looks poor in a poor Newcastle side. Remy is over-rated, another Ryan Babel touted as the next Henry. Balotelli on the other hand has the arrogance needed in a world class striker and under the right management and players he will flourish, at citeh he was surrounded by too many egoes all all wanting the same attention, in many ways he is like Van Persie loads of potential just needing the right guidance. With Balotelli leading the line our first team on paper would match anyone in the league, Giroud would never be feared by top team defensive lines but Balotelli will bring in the fear factor.

AKBapologist
22-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Any squad that doesn't have like Shaw would be a crap one, especially considering this is all fantasy anyway.

AFC Leveller
22-04-2014, 12:24 PM

The reality of course is that we'll buy a second rate/non world class triker (Moratta), bring Theo back and sell Sagna and Vermaelen.

AFC Leveller
22-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Balotelli is a nutcase who is not worth the hassle. He is a world class striker WHEN he wants to be but he just loves contrevercy and can be distracted any given moment.

We are desperate though and id rather Balotelli than nothing.

RomfordPele
22-04-2014, 09:07 PM
The reality of course is that we'll buy a second rate/non world class triker (Moratta), bring Theo back and sell Sagna and Vermaelen.

That sounds depressingly bang on the money. You forgot a bizarre panic buy (kalou?) in late august after a slow start to next season whilst we wait for theo and our World Cup players to get fit again.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Remy is over-rated, another Ryan Babel touted as the next Henry. Balotelli on the other hand has the arrogance needed in a world class striker and under the right management and players he will flourish, at citeh he was surrounded by too many egoes all all wanting the same attention, in many ways he is like Van Persie loads of potential just needing the right guidance. With Balotelli leading the line our first team on paper would match anyone in the league, Giroud would never be feared by top team defensive lines but Balotelli will bring in the fear factor.

Even if you're convinced he's overrated....I see Remy as more a productive version of Gervinho than a contestant or comparison for Balotelli. Their best positions aren't the same in my view. Arrogance is a bizarrely highly rated ingredient for a top forward imo. Scoring 11 out of 10 in a self confidence test hasn't helped Bendtner....and he's no kid any more.

As AFC Leveller suggests....Mario is a good player WHEN he fancies it, but he doesn't always fancy it and does an awful lot of sulking or trying peoples patience. He must be up there with the easiest footballers to wind up in world football.

Having said that, I think 30 million will get him out of Milan, possibly more possibly less and there aren't many players of his ability available for that price.

I am invisible
23-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Has anyone actually come up with a CF yet who we'd all be satisfied with? Costa has probably come closest so far, but even with him I've seen doubts raised about whether he's a one-season-wonder, and whether he could do it in the Prem (and besides, it's looking more and more like he's already decided on Chelsea now, so we might have to forget about him anyway)? Do we even agree on which players we'd put in which category (e.g. elite, world-class, flawed-genius, very good, good, average, below average, crap, Park, etc)?

Marc Overmars
23-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Personally I feel we need 1 proven, bona fide goal scorer, and another striker who's maybe a level below for competition.

It's subjective of course. Everyone has their preferred choices, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Massive change is not needed.

1 top quality striker.

1 top quality DM.

Recall Campbell.

Get rid of Bendtner, Sanogo and Arteta.

That's pretty much it.

Niall_Quinn
24-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Easier to say who it shouldn't be - Dzeko, for eaxample.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-04-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't think he's a bad player but he would be underwhelming. Not too many obvious choices which is why I suspect Wenger will perfectly placed to make an ostensibly obscure signing.

pakgunner
27-04-2014, 01:40 AM
Even if you're convinced he's overrated....I see Remy as more a productive version of Gervinho than a contestant or comparison for Balotelli. Their best positions aren't the same in my view. Arrogance is a bizarrely highly rated ingredient for a top forward imo. Scoring 11 out of 10 in a self confidence test hasn't helped Bendtner....and he's no kid any more.

As AFC Leveller suggests....Mario is a good player WHEN he fancies it, but he doesn't always fancy it and does an awful lot of sulking or trying peoples patience. He must be up there with the easiest footballers to wind up in world football.

Having said that, I think 30 million will get him out of Milan, possibly more possibly less and there aren't many players of his ability available for that price.However Bendtner didn't have the ability to match his arrogance, Balotelli does and when at the right club under the right management he will succeed it's speculative but worth the gamble at that price.

pakgunner
27-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Has anyone actually come up with a CF yet who we'd all be satisfied with? Costa has probably come closest so far, but even with him I've seen doubts raised about whether he's a one-season-wonder, and whether he could do it in the Prem (and besides, it's looking more and more like he's already decided on Chelsea now, so we might have to forget about him anyway)? Do we even agree on which players we'd put in which category (e.g. elite, world-class, flawed-genius, very good, good, average, below average, crap, Park, etc)?

At the moment Suarez is the closest thing to a fit T14 and technically still available but more likely to move to Madrid. I agree with you about Costa not proven over successive seasons so not too worried about him, however at the right price falcao would be a tremendous acquisition- pace, desire, positional sense and a proven goal scorer over the years.

KSE Comedy Club
27-04-2014, 09:30 AM
I can't see us gettin benzema, he's doin alright at RM so it's unlikely that they will sell unless they do go after Suarez, but he might want to stay at pool if they win the title.

There's more chance of balotelli coming here, and I wouldn't mind that as I do think wenger would calm him down a bit.

Either that or we take a punt on Jackson Martinez.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-04-2014, 04:14 PM
However Bendtner didn't have the ability to match his arrogance, Balotelli does and when at the right club under the right management he will succeed it's speculative but worth the gamble at that price.
You are suggesting Balotelli does have the ability and I happen to agree, but he too hasn't proven it beyond doubt yet either and he is no kid any more.

We would be spending the second biggest amount we ever have to bring a guy in who to date has mostly proven to be a maverick above anything else. Did he not have the reputation he has, he would probably be much more roundly sought after. It would be a big gamble. At least with the bitey racist his contribution on the field of play was beyond any level of questioning as we are witnessing again now.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Time for Bony to come home tbh.

GP
27-04-2014, 04:18 PM
My Little Bony :bow:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Very good addition to the squad he would make....

Dein-machine
01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
keeper out = Fabs (free)
keeper in = Marshall (10 mill)

Defenders out = Sagna (free), Monreal (5 mill) Vermaelen ( 10 mill )
Defenders in = Piszczek (15 mill ), Felipe Luiz (10 mill ) Varane ( 20 mill )

Midfielders out = Rosciky (5 mill), Podolski (10 mill), Arteta (10 mill), Cazorla (20 mill)
Midfieders in = Bender (20 mill), Di Maria (25 mill), Gustavo (25 mill), Draxler (30 mill)

Attackers out = Bendtner (can't give him away), Giroud (20 mill)
Attackers in = Reus (35 mill), Martinez (30 mil)

Net spend 140 mill

Sir Ches back up Marshall.

Piszchek back up Jenks ( i know!! )
Felipe Luiz " Gibbs
Merts " Varane
Kos

Gustavo " Bender ( or other way round ) - sometimes play both.
Di Maria " Drexler "
Walcott " Ox "
Ozil " Reus
Rambo " Wilshere

Martinez " Reus,Walcot,Sanogo also forward options.

Above based on 4-5-1 with Di Maria & Walcott playing wide of the 5. Could also look at 4-4-2 with Martinez & Reus up top. If we want to play defensive then 4-2-3-1 with Gustavo & Bender as the 2.
To have 10 quality midfielders may sound OTT but if you think of the injuries we continually get to key players in this area ie Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcot & the fact we are overplaying some of these players which may be the root cause of a lot of these injuries then I think we should be able to rotate the side to keep all happy.

With Wenger in charge we all know this is dreamland but IMO we do need a squad with that depth of quality to really maintain a challenge on all fronts.

GP
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
:wacko:

Marc Overmars
01-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Football Manager. :bow:

fakeyank
01-05-2014, 03:20 PM
keeper out = Fabs (free)

Midfielders out = Rosciky (5 mill), Podolski (10 mill), Arteta (10 mill), Cazorla (20 mill)
Midfieders in = Bender (20 mill), Di Maria (25 mill), Gustavo (25 mill), Draxler (30 mill)

Net spend 140 mill

Felipe Luiz " Gibbs
Merts " Varane
Kos

Di Maria " Drexler "
Walcott " Ox "
Ozil " Reus
Rambo " Wilshere

Above based on 4-5-1 with Di Maria & Walcott playing wide of the 5. Could also look at 4-4-2 with Martinez & Reus up top. If we want to play defensive then 4-2-3-1 with Gustavo & Bender as the 2.
To have 10 quality midfielders may sound OTT but if you think of the injuries we continually get to key players in this area ie Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcot & the fact we are overplaying some of these players which may be the root cause of a lot of these injuries then I think we should be able to rotate the side to keep all happy.

With Wenger in charge we all know this is dreamland but IMO we do need a squad with that depth of quality to really maintain a challenge on all fronts.

No way man! I dont want that many changes to the team. I agree some of those names need to leave but you dont want a team of 11 new players.

Dein-machine
01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
No way man! I dont want that many changes to the team. I agree some of those names need to leave but you dont want a team of 11 new players.

But we only have 6 that looking at quality & age are ever going to be good enough to take us forward - Sir Ches, Kos, Ox, Walcot, Ozil, Rambo, maybe 7 if Jack starts growing up & stops falling over. we can't waste more years slowly getting rid of the dross, we've been doing that for far too long now. Big changes neccessary, we've been doing the tinkering & its gets us nowhere because in between the tinkering we've had better quality players leave us.

Dein-machine
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Football Manager. :bow:

Yes - we need one

fakeyank
01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
But we only have 6 that looking at quality & age are ever going to be good enough to take us forward - Sir Ches, Kos, Ox, Walcot, Ozil, Rambo, maybe 7 if Jack starts growing up & stops falling over. we can't waste more years slowly getting rid of the dross, we've been doing that for far too long now. Big changes neccessary, we've been doing the tinkering & its gets us nowhere because in between the tinkering we've had better quality players leave us.

I'd add Per and Gibbs to that list too. If Sagna is to leave (which looks likely) then I would keep a hold of Vermaelen as back up CB or as LB. Similarly, I see nothing wrong with Rosicky either. And I rate Cazorla a LOT! I think he is a fantastic player and has been one of the most consistent players since his arrival. I would also keep Podolski as he pretty Lethal infront of goal. Then add to the mix one of my favorite players, Gnabry and we look good.

These are the players I want IN v/s players going out:

OUT: Bendnter, Sanogo, Park, Arteta, Sagna, Flappy

IN: Bender, Remy, Athletico madrid striker (whoever that may be), Piszczek for RB

Players I'm on the fence about: Monreal, Flamini, Giroud. Regarding Giroud, I'd rather have him than not have him. He has scored 21 goals + counting and that is no mean feat tbh.

Power n Glory
01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Isn't all this rather pointless?

fakeyank
01-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Isn't all this rather pointless?

Pretty much all debate on GW is pointless tbh. The only reasonable thread is the Cool Video thread

Power n Glory
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
To an extent but we might as well be discussing Fantasy Football teams in here.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
01-05-2014, 11:48 PM
keeper out = Fabs (free)

Net spend 140 mill

Felipe Luiz " Gibbs
Merts " Varane
Kos

Di Maria " Drexler "
Walcott " Ox "
Ozil " Reus
Rambo " Wilshere

:haha:

fakeyank
02-05-2014, 12:29 AM
^^^

Love your signature :lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Very much playing champ manager but it is nice to dream. Some light healthy-unhealthy respite....

Out:

Flappy (n/a)
Vermaelen (7 million)
Bendtner (n/a)

In:

Stekelenburg (5 million)
Matthias Ginter (6 million)
Eliaquim Mangala (8 million)
Yann M'vila (10 million)
Loic Remy (Free transfer?)
Josip Drmic (5 million)
Julian Draxler (40 million)

74 million. The next would be 67 million. Still enough money to go crazy on 1 additional signing....perhaps the fabled world class forward that I'm missing?

I think we should offer Sagna what he wants and try and get Podolski to re-sign too imo. Vermaelen I'd prefer to keep but it's 50/50 as he would need to take a step down so he might not find a club he wants to join.

The ins add a little pace and finesse in attack with two potential centre forwards there too....even if they aren't both obvious choices with Draxler being the second. Remy, Draxler, Walcott, Chamberlain and Gnabry and possibly Cazorla could cover the wings so we're not likely to suffer as badly again in Theo's absence.

AFC Leveller
04-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Wenger says it will be hard to sign players because of the world cup.

I wonder what his excuse was last season?

cheesy bites
04-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Scz
Casillas
A.N. Other

Sagna (Sign him up)
Jenkinson

Mert
Kosc
Verm
Caulker

Gibbs
Chambers

Flamini
Ramsey
Wilshere
Ozil
Cazorla
Rosicky
Fabregas

Walcott
The Ox
Pod

Giroud
Remy
Costa
Joel Campbell

Cya Arteta and Monreal

The Emirates Gallactico
04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Wenger says it will be hard to sign players because of the world cup.

I wonder what his excuse was last season?

Wasn't last season the one with the "waiting period"? Or was that the season before? They're so painfully similar you end up getting confused. :lol:

Also @Blink, Mangala has a whopping £30 million price tag attached to his head and Man City pretty much have that deal sewn up already. They tried right at the end of the January window to get him and Fernando but were rebuffed. I'd actually post nudes of myself on here if we sign him.

Greizeeman, big black strong but technically good DM and a world class striker please.

I am invisible
05-05-2014, 12:37 PM
OK, fantasy football time then...

Working on the premise(s) that we're sticking with 433 and that we need at least decent option for every position (with a few additional utility players here and there for added depth), then I think we need:

1x CF
Costa / Benzema / Cavani / Martinez / Mandzukic / Bony / Benteke / Lukaku / Morata / Michy

1x Wide striker or 1x direct winger (but ideally both)
wide strikers: Pedro / Remy / Drmic / Vela / Campbell
wingers: Griezmann / Draxler / Di Maria / Sanchez / Konoplyanka / Shaqiri

1x DCM (this can maybe wait another year, but its something we need to think about soon, and might as well do it now if the right player is there)
Pogba / Bender / Schneiderlin / Wanyama / Gustavo

1x RB (if Sagna leaves)
Aurier / Colman / Chambers / Janmaat / Richards / Junge

1/2x CBs (depending on whether Vermaelen stays)
Ginter / Veltman / Laporte / Hangeland(?) / (I really have lost touch with who the decent / available CBs are out there)

1x GK (if Fabianski leaves)
Casillas / Stekelenburg / Schmeichel / Marshall /

Bonus, total-fantasy, never-gonna-happen signing
Bring Fabregas and his Arsenal DNA home!

So there you go - anywhere between 3 and 8/9 players, depending on who stays and who goes, and whether there's enough time / money / available options to go for bonus signings.

There's a range of different players there at different prices, ranging from £50-60m+ to free - feel free to add more (or cross any off that are completely stupid - I've just stuck in players I've heard mentioned recently). Assuming we're working to a finite budget, then we won't be able to pick the most expensive name on each list (i.e. if we spank £40/50/60m on someone like Cavani or Benzema, then it's unlikely that we'll blow another £40m on a Draxleror a Di Maria), so it's all about getting the best balance for what we have, and getting more of the qualities that we lack into the team somewhere, even if we have to do it more indirectly than we've been thinking (e.g. we're all looking at the CF as being the signing that solves all of our problems, but if the awesome CF that we want isn't available, or doesn't want to sign for us, then can we work around it by getting, say, a world-class wide man instead, and getting someone a little further down our wish list as a CF?).

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Wasn't last season the one with the "waiting period"? Or was that the season before? They're so painfully similar you end up getting confused. :lol:

Also @Blink, Mangala has a whopping £30 million price tag attached to his head and Man City pretty much have that deal sewn up already. They tried right at the end of the January window to get him and Fernando but were rebuffed. I'd actually post nudes of myself on here if we sign him.

Greizeeman, big black strong but technically good DM and a world class striker please.
Get out of my fantasy dammit and tell beyonce I'm waiting.

Ok so scrap the Portu geezer and throw Williams in :lol:

Bergkampwonderland10
06-05-2014, 08:57 PM
I'd add Per and Gibbs to that list too. If Sagna is to leave (which looks likely) then I would keep a hold of Vermaelen as back up CB or as LB. Similarly, I see nothing wrong with Rosicky either. And I rate Cazorla a LOT! I think he is a fantastic player and has been one of the most consistent players since his arrival. I would also keep Podolski as he pretty Lethal infront of goal. Then add to the mix one of my favorite players, Gnabry and we look good.

These are the players I want IN v/s players going out:

OUT: Bendnter, Sanogo, Park, Arteta, Sagna, Flappy

IN: Bender, Remy, Athletico madrid striker (whoever that may be), Piszczek for RB

Players I'm on the fence about: Monreal, Flamini, Giroud. Regarding Giroud, I'd rather have him than not have him. He has scored 21 goals + counting and that is no mean feat tbh.

I'm not on the fence when it comes to Monreal…there is a reason why teams attack our left hand side relentlessly when he plays! Very suspect player. 10million was a crazy amount for him. Cazorla has been off form for most of this season and very inconsistent. Poor season by his standards. Sanogo should get his chance before being ousted…looks raw but very decent in the games he's played. Arteta has been a great addition to our squad, I'd keep him for at least another season. I def agree with holding onto Podolski, really hope we manage to, the best is yet to come from him.

Niall_Quinn
06-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Monreal is okay provided his opponent is in leg irons and staked to the pitch. He doesn't have the pace otherwise.

Slacker
06-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Monreal is okay provided his opponent is in leg irons and staked to the pitch. He doesn't have the pace otherwise.

Not sure about Monreal or Sanogo. Both look a cut below the level for me. What is Wenger watching when he buys these drongos???

Slacker
06-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Saying that Sagan isn't all that. He can't cross, is not good at tracking back and sometimes (i.e. Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh away), he's a liability. Good pace, great in the air, but surely we could get that somewhere without shelling out stupid money like someone's going to offer for Shaw in the next few months. OK he's a left back, but even Sagan can play there probably better than Shaw (latest overrated English kid)???

Gooner23
07-05-2014, 07:16 AM
I really dont see the potential that others do in Sanogo, looks a million miles away from being anywhere near good enough for us. Terrible touch, no idea where the goal is. Should be loaned out for a couple of seasons and if he comes good then its a bonus.

I am invisible
07-05-2014, 08:11 AM
If we sign a couple of forwards this summer (or a CF and goal-scoring winger), then I really don't think Sanogo's presence will be much of an issue...

Alpha
07-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Bring back Joel Campbell . He has significantly matured and has a good decision making, team player attitude , decent shot and can track back to help defender but still ignored by Wenger .
The young lad seems to have a winning mentality and does not look afraid of playing against big teams .
These are kind of players we should give more chance to integrate into our system .

Marc Overmars
07-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Not sure what the issue is with his work permit but if Campbell can play for us then I don't see why he shouldn't be part of the squad next season.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Not sure what the issue is with his work permit but if Campbell can play for us then I don't see why he shouldn't be part of the squad next season.

Keep it down will you....if Wenger hears things like that it will give him excuse not to buy a striker

Alpha
07-05-2014, 10:14 AM

He has been granted a work permit before being sent on loan again to Greece . That is not the real issue .

Alpha
07-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Keep it down will you....if Wenger hears things like that it will give him excuse not to buy a striker

If you are expecting Wenger to buy a striker in a mould of Diego Costa , I am afraid you might be disappointed again . He will only buy a back up to Giroud . A player like Remy , Ba , Cisse or Bony can be considered . His main priority would be to get an attacking midfielder or a winger who can score goals .Someone like Julian Draxler , Antoine Griezmann etc
Wenger still rate Giroud as his no 1 striker even though many would disagree . He is the man in charge and will decide .

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-05-2014, 11:03 AM
If you are expecting Wenger to buy a striker in a mould of Diego Costa , I am afraid you might be disappointed again . He will only buy a back up to Giroud . A player like Remy , Ba , Cisse or Bony can be considered . His main priority would be to get an attacking midfielder or a winger who can score goals .Someone like Julian Draxler , Antoine Griezmann etc
Wenger still rate Giroud as his no 1 striker even though many would disagree . He is the man in charge and will decide .

To be honest i don't rate Diego Costa so i won't lose any sleep if he goes to Chelsea, to be honest anyone in the mould of a Remy or Bony for me is an massive improvement on Giroud. I don't expect anyone with a world class reputation to be honest, i just want someone with pace and a proven goalscoring record.

Alpha
07-05-2014, 11:14 AM
To be honest i don't rate Diego Costa so i won't lose any sleep if he goes to Chelsea, to be honest anyone in the mould of a Remy or Bony for me is an massive improvement on Giroud. I don't expect anyone with a world class reputation to be honest, i just want someone with pace and a proven goalscoring record.
Wenger will definitely buy a back up striker as he saw the consequences when Giroud was exhausted . But for those who would like to see the back of Giroud , it may be too early .
On the positive note , the other striker will put pressure on olivier not to be complacent and improve his game if he still wants to keep his place as no 1 striker .

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-05-2014, 12:35 PM
We have cited Giroud being tired quite frequently but a lot of those times we were saying it, I just saw a limited player rather than one who was tired. Perhaps I'm being harsh on him.

Bony would be an improvement on Giroud as his all round game is much better, he is even more powerful than Giroud and is much better in the air.
The intermittently maligned Demba Ba would actually get 20 league goals or close to it given 38 league games in a top side which imo is why Wenger spent the dying hours of last summer trying to sign him. Unfortunately for us he was dealing with a club who's manager wouldn't sell him small pox or AIDS never mind an asset from his own club. One of the most naive pursuits in Wenger's career.

There are a small handful of strikers in my honest view that despite not being world class, would actually get 20 league goals given enough games. Sturridge is the most obvious of them but he isn't the ONLY one..... which is why it makes it even more of a crying shame we went into the season with Giroud, Sanoogo and Bendtner.

On Joe Campbell, he has certainly matured but I don't actually know that he offers us that Chamberlain or Gnabry won't apart from a few more South American tricks... For it to be worthwhile he has to likely to be of more or at least equal use to the Ox or Gnabry, both of whom can play in 2/3 positions.