PDA

View Full Version : Stay or Go?

Kano
18-05-2014, 02:31 AM
Will Wenger stay or will he go?

Not should he but will he? His assertions before and after the final whistle were hardly convincing. Fair enough, when faced with a dickhead like Gabriel Clarke he done well not to lay the slimy weasel out on the floor but the question is still lingering despite the victory today.

fakeyank
18-05-2014, 02:41 AM
He will stay.

Do I want him to stay? No.

Will I be ok with him staying? Yes, just because of the FA cup victory.

Letters
18-05-2014, 06:58 AM
He'll stay. And I think he should.
It sounds a bit kneejerk to say that on the basis of one game's result - had we lost I'd have felt he should go - but I don't think it is.
There are very fine lines in football - I was reading Bergkamp's autobiography (it's more a series of interviews with him and others he worked with) and Parlour was talking about that penalty in the '99 Cup semi-final (:upset:). Had that gone in we'd have been in the Cup Final, would probably have won the Cup and Utd may have wobbled in the league and we'd have done a double-Double. We'll never know of course but one kick of a ball can make a massive difference to the momentum and future of a club.
Yesterday had Gibbs not cleared that one off the line it would have been 3-0, we'd never have come back from that in the remaining time. Fine lines.

That result yesterday gives the squad belief they CAN go on and win big trophies, it creates a feelgood factor in the squad and amongst the fans. It's a great platform to build on next season.

:scarf:

Marc Overmars
18-05-2014, 08:05 AM
He'll stay but I do think he's taken us as far as he can. At least he's eased some of the pressure on himself though, now we have to kick on and that starts with a making some top signings this summer.

Letters
18-05-2014, 08:38 AM
He'll stay but I do think he's taken us as far as he can.
Maybe. I guess the question is could anyone take us further? Maybe but I'd suggest not many people.

Toronto Gooner
18-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I think that he will stay but I hope that he will be working on a transition plan that will enable the club to bring in a new manager without the collapse we saw with Man U this season.

Niall_Quinn
18-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Wenger will stay and should stay. We asked for a trophy, we got a trophy. There you go. He's Arsenal through and through, it's doubtful we'll ever see a manager more committed to his club again. He made a gutsy call in the final yesterday and if he makes a couple of similar calls in the transfer market then this club is going somewhere. Looking forward to the summer, looking forward to next season.

Özim
18-05-2014, 11:03 AM
He'll stay.

Should he, no not after another calamitous collapse with some thrashings thrown into the mix as well this season.

IMO would be best for him to leave now on the high of winning the cup because he won't be winning anything else.

Niall_Quinn
18-05-2014, 12:06 PM
He'll stay.

Should he, no not after another calamitous collapse with some thrashings thrown into the mix as well this season.

IMO would be best for him to leave now on the high of winning the cup because he won't be winning anything else.

Pre Cup Final win: "We'll never win another trophy under Wenger"
Post Cup Final win: "He won't be winning anything else"

Letters
18-05-2014, 03:39 PM
:lol:

You're not accusing Zim of moving the goalposts are you?

Özim
18-05-2014, 07:30 PM

By your and several others definition the FA Cup is mickey mouse and not a proper trophy, well it wasn't until we got close to winning it this season anyway.

Niall_Quinn
18-05-2014, 07:34 PM
By your and several others definition the FA Cup is mickey mouse and not a proper trophy, well it wasn't until we got close to winning it this season anyway.

You already said it's a proper trophy and you prefer it to a 4th place finish - so well done Wenger :trophy:

Özim
18-05-2014, 07:53 PM
You already said it's a proper trophy and you prefer it to a 4th place finish - so well done Wenger :trophy:

Yes I already said that and I stick by it, 4th place however is mickey mouse to me.

Letters
18-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Yes I already said that and I stick by it, 4th place however is mickey mouse to me.
But this year we did both.

Wenger :bow:

Ollie the Optimist
18-05-2014, 10:05 PM
we won the cup, we got top four and we went out and splashed 42 million on a world class player. new sponsorship deals kick in this summer and the money is there. Let Arsene finish the job.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Stay.

We just won the cup FFS. What sort of message would it send out if he left now? Players would be distraught.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Stay and I think he should.

selassie
19-05-2014, 12:08 PM
He'll stay. I am happy that we won a trophy this season and happy for Wenger. What I would like to see now is the groundroots laid for a smooth transistion when Wenger calls it a day.

My personal opinion is that Wenger is a good manager but I don't believe he will do the necessary to elevate us from top 4 to title winners. I think we will always be "two players short". Despite all of this I am not saying he isn't a good manager, but for me he is too focused on his principles.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-05-2014, 12:16 PM
He'll stay but I do think he's taken us as far as he can. At least he's eased some of the pressure on himself though, now we have to kick on and that starts with a making some top signings this summer.

The question with AW is not so much what he's capable of doing as a manager, but more what he's willing to do

For me he has to show a willingness both to strengthen properly in the summer (and that means sometimes paying over the odds and not sticking to his own personal valuation so dogmatically), and to adopt a game plan against the bigger teams.

My concern with him, and the main reason i'm still not convinced about his ability to win trophies is that he is far too stubborn, is he a dictator in the way that bald idiot stuart robson describes him?...No i think he's very non-confrontational but i think he has a tendency to listen to what other people nod his head in agreement and then do his own thing anyway.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-05-2014, 12:20 PM
But yes he will stay, and to be fair for me he has acheived enough this season to deserve the chance to push on. I have my doubts whether he can get us where i feel we should be, but it'd be nice for him to prove me wrong.

selassie
19-05-2014, 12:21 PM
The question with AW is not so much what he's capable of doing as a manager, but more what he's willing to do

For me he has to show a willingness both to strengthen properly in the summer (and that means sometimes paying over the odds and not sticking to his own personal valuation so dogmatically), and to adopt a game plan against the bigger teams.

My concern with him, and the main reason i'm still not convinced about his ability to win trophies is that he is far too stubborn, is he a dictator in the way that bald idiot stuart robson describes him?...No i think he's very non-confrontational but i think he has a tendency to listen to what other people nod his head in agreement and then do his own thing anyway.

Yep, totally this.

:gp:

Özil's Panoramic View
19-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Won't ever be a more glorious opportunity for him to ride off into the sunset with a bit of pride.

Niall_Quinn
19-05-2014, 12:59 PM

How much over the odds though? Have you seen the shite in the papers today? If true (big if, but it's certainly not unheard of) the gypos are prepared to offer Sagna a 4 year, 150K pw deal. Now that's just insane. What if they decide they'd like to buy whoever we target to replace Sagna? Buy him up, put him on silly wages and loan him out, just so we can't get him? It's a tactic, isn't it - albeit a foul and anti-competitive doper tactic. The chavs have some 80 players signed up this way. These clubs are killing the transfer market, it's not so easy to say pay over the odds when the gypos and chavs can keep upping the odds with no consequences. You've seen how they have already been let off FFP, so take it for granted they can carry on doing whatever the hell they like. The limp wristed FA will do FA - they are too busy playing PR anyway. So it's not just a question of paying over the odds (now the gypos and chavs have piled inflation into the market), it's also a case of trying to conduct the deal in such a way to avoid the dopers scuppering it and also most likely with the agent casting around for some doper interest so he can drive the prices up. It really can't be that easy when you have to play by the rules and run a real business at the same time.

Bumble
19-05-2014, 01:05 PM
He will stay and i think he might actually have to stay as i dont believe the club have any idea what to do if he didnt sign the contract. We finally won a trophy which is great although can you imagine the celebrations if it was the league or CL instead of the FA Cup. They would be mental!!!!

We have been linked with Draxler, bender and benezema. those 3 plus someone like Richards from City who can play CB or RB and a back up keeper we have been linked with the Reading one and you never know.

One disappointing thing is that previously we have treated the FA Cup lightly and more or less thrown games but suddenly it suits when we become a bit more desperate.

I think perhaps we should put him on a rolling contract as he is already 64 i think and they wont sack him so and if he is given a 3 year contract as has been suggested then he is here for 3 years.

Bumble
19-05-2014, 01:11 PM
How much over the odds though? Have you seen the shite in the papers today? If true (big if, but it's certainly not unheard of) the gypos are prepared to offer Sagna a 4 year, 150K pw deal. Now that's just insane. What if they decide they'd like to buy whoever we target to replace Sagna? Buy him up, put him on silly wages and loan him out, just so we can't get him? It's a tactic, isn't it - albeit a foul and anti-competitive doper tactic. The chavs have some 80 players signed up this way. These clubs are killing the transfer market, it's not so easy to say pay over the odds when the gypos and chavs can keep upping the odds with no consequences. You've seen how they have already been let off FFP, so take it for granted they can carry on doing whatever the hell they like. The limp wristed FA will do FA - they are too busy playing PR anyway. So it's not just a question of paying over the odds (now the gypos and chavs have piled inflation into the market), it's also a case of trying to conduct the deal in such a way to avoid the dopers scuppering it and also most likely with the agent casting around for some doper interest so he can drive the prices up. It really can't be that easy when you have to play by the rules and run a real business at the same time.

Athletico Madrid proved you can win the league when against money spunking teams. You can still only play 11 people at the same time and not every single football is so driven by money that they would happily go on loan to anyone City/Chavs choose. The FA cant stop it, the Premier League isnt there competition. We have no control over what happens at other clubs but do you not think we could have maintained our title challenge a bit longer if we actually did some business in January and therefore not challenging for the league is more our own failing rather than the deep pockets of other clubs.

I am invisible
19-05-2014, 01:41 PM

Let's face it, Arsene has always been of the opinion that you have to play entertaining, attacking football as a matter of principal, and that if your own game is good enough, then you'll beat your opponents, however they set themselves up... and I can't see that ever changing. I can maybe see him being open to some change where things like fitness and rotation are concerned, and that in itself would be something, but I just can't see him deviating too far from his core beliefs when it comes to how we play?

If we're going to carry on with this same thinking, then our hope has to be that we go all in with it, and build out a squad that can genuinely win games simply by being 'that good'. Wenger's strength, for me, is his ability to find extra levels in players that noone else sees (sometimes no even the players!), so what need to happen is that we make sure he's surrounding himself with top-talent again, and that he's working to find those extra levels in them, and not just trying to squeeze what he can out of kids and unknowns. If we do that, then I think we could be a force again - perhaps still a flawed force, that will continue to suffer from the odd tactical stumble, but one that would at least be worth fearing, and would keep us well entertained?

Niall_Quinn
19-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Athletico Madrid proved you can win the league when against money spunking teams. You can still only play 11 people at the same time and not every single football is so driven by money that they would happily go on loan to anyone City/Chavs choose. The FA cant stop it, the Premier League isnt there competition. We have no control over what happens at other clubs but do you not think we could have maintained our title challenge a bit longer if we actually did some business in January and therefore not challenging for the league is more our own failing rather than the deep pockets of other clubs.

Not saying it's impossible or even that we can afford not to get the business done this summer. But there are additional complications for teams that are applying a real world business model. I think we'll pay over the odds anyway, if the Sagna story is true then the whole market just took another huge hit and this will ripple through every club. £150k pw for a bench player, and there will probably be an £80k or even 100K pw player behind him too so they have 3 quality internationals per position. True, you can only play 11 but that's what the ludicrous wages are for, to bribe players with offers they can't refuse who would normally be playing to sit it out on standby.

The FA could do something about this, and something very effective. They could ban chav and gypo English players from playing for the national team while their clubs are in breach of rules and sound business practices. This would have a knock on effect with FFP because no top English players would want to go to these clubs so they'd be short of home grown players, this compounding the breach of FFP rules and forcing the crook Platini's hand. Won't happen but it's a very easy solution that would very quickly solve the problem of financial doping.

But fact is, we still have to compete on this badly tilted playing field so Wenger and the crew will need to be very smart and very cagey in this transfer window. To a degree we'll always be looking for certain types of deals, players the dopers don't instantly want (for example Costa is now beyond our reach whereas he shouldn't really be as if FFP was applied we might well have more spending power than the chavs this summer), players that have potential (these don't interest dopers as much as they want immediate success), last minutes stuff that catches the dopers unaware (like the Ozil deal). Then there's the World Cup, which is an agent sharkfest, and the one or two big deals on which many other deals will hinge, Suarez for instance. I guess he has to agree to go to Madrid if we are to have any chance with Benzema.

We know we need to get the business done but that doesn't remove the obstacles we're bound to face. Hell, even in the light of all this we had a deal for Suarez last year and we've reached the stage where club owners can just ignore the contract. It's tough to get these things done.

selassie
21-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Not saying it's impossible or even that we can afford not to get the business done this summer. But there are additional complications for teams that are applying a real world business model. I think we'll pay over the odds anyway, if the Sagna story is true then the whole market just took another huge hit and this will ripple through every club. £150k pw for a bench player, and there will probably be an £80k or even 100K pw player behind him too so they have 3 quality internationals per position. True, you can only play 11 but that's what the ludicrous wages are for, to bribe players with offers they can't refuse who would normally be playing to sit it out on standby.

The FA could do something about this, and something very effective. They could ban chav and gypo English players from playing for the national team while their clubs are in breach of rules and sound business practices. This would have a knock on effect with FFP because no top English players would want to go to these clubs so they'd be short of home grown players, this compounding the breach of FFP rules and forcing the crook Platini's hand. Won't happen but it's a very easy solution that would very quickly solve the problem of financial doping.

But fact is, we still have to compete on this badly tilted playing field so Wenger and the crew will need to be very smart and very cagey in this transfer window. To a degree we'll always be looking for certain types of deals, players the dopers don't instantly want (for example Costa is now beyond our reach whereas he shouldn't really be as if FFP was applied we might well have more spending power than the chavs this summer), players that have potential (these don't interest dopers as much as they want immediate success), last minutes stuff that catches the dopers unaware (like the Ozil deal). Then there's the World Cup, which is an agent sharkfest, and the one or two big deals on which many other deals will hinge, Suarez for instance. I guess he has to agree to go to Madrid if we are to have any chance with Benzema.

We know we need to get the business done but that doesn't remove the obstacles we're bound to face. Hell, even in the light of all this we had a deal for Suarez last year and we've reached the stage where club owners can just ignore the contract. It's tough to get these things done.

Whilst that is all very true we know how the market works and if you don't "play by the market rules" then you will get nowhere. I am not for one minute suggesting we compete with City or Chelsea for players but what I am suggesting is that if we identify somebody we want we make our moves with realistic offers.

We have a history of dithering and lowballing...it's the worst kept secret in football.

Heisenberg
30-05-2014, 11:06 AM
According to the BBC he will stay and has agreed a three year contract.

Özim
30-05-2014, 11:14 AM
So much for moving on in a couple of years.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-05-2014, 11:20 AM
So much for moving on in a couple of years.

Well 2017 takes him to 67/68 and that will be it, my fervent hope is that this isn't being done as a panic measure by the board and that plans for succession start

Özim
30-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Well 2017 takes him to 67/68 and that will be it, my fervent hope is that this isn't being done as a panic measure by the board and that plans for succession start

I think there's possibly one more contract after that if he wants it.