PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Arsenal trophy

Letters
21-05-2014, 12:54 PM
FA Cup in ’93, for me.

Anfield ’89 should have trumped it (you’re never going to beat a last minute title winner) except back then I wasn’t really as big a Gooner as I would become – it was actually that evening that made me into one.

I think it’s my favourite because it was the era when I cared most about football and because of the last minute goal.
That moment, that moment when you knew you’d won the Cup. That back 5 weren’t going to do anything silly and there was no time for them to anyway. We just knew we’d won it. It was my first FA Cup Final (well, it was a replay but arguably part of the same final) at the old Wembley.

Fantastic evening.

:patrice:

:yippee:

Marc Overmars
21-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I think the 98 cup win to seal the double will always resonate close to me because it was my first experience of Arsenal winning trophies and I went to the final.

Letters
21-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Yeah, that one was pretty special too. I did a Beatles walking tour of London that morning then went on to the Final. The carriage I got on was full of barcodes who were actually very nice. I remember saying to a couple of them how amazing it would be if we could do the Double (this was in an era when it was still a thing spoken of in hushed tones, before the gap between the haves and have nots grew to a level where it became a regular occurrence), one of them said "We haven't been to Wembley since 1974..." (I checked after, they lost then too!)

selassie
21-05-2014, 01:31 PM
89 for me, I was only 12 and it was my first experience of Arsenal winning the league, that night was just magical, watched it on TV with my dad and brothers, I was so excited after seeing us win I couldn't sleep that night!

98 was pretty special too, we had a great team back then.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-05-2014, 01:31 PM
The title in 2002, won at Old Trafford 8th May 2002. Proved that we weren't a one off, and winning at the place where we'd been humiliated 6-1 the previous season.

Munchies
21-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Probably the 98 double for me too, wasn't old enough to fully be aware of the significance of the others before that.

Overmars :bow:

WMUG
21-05-2014, 02:13 PM
2002 FA Cup for me. We were right behind both the goals, and it was the first time I'd seen us win a trophy, with Michael Owen and Stephane Henchoz breaking hearts the year before.

Either that or the one this season, for obvious reasons. 9 years of frustration coming out in one massive scream after Ramsey's goal. :cloud9:

Letters
21-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Either that or the one this season, for obvious reasons. 9 years of frustration coming out in one massive scream after Ramsey's goal. :cloud9:
Yeah, a friend said this was his favourite for that exact reason. It is the longest we've gone without a trophy since I started supporting the club so that definitely adds something.

Kano
21-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Hard to split between '89 and going absolutely mental at home at 14 years old and the other 93 cup final which I went to.

I'd probably go for the former but being at the old wembley for my only ever final was pretty god damn amazing too.

milla
21-05-2014, 03:11 PM
4th place trophy, every year :trophy: :patrice: :cheer: :scarf:

Ollie the Optimist
21-05-2014, 04:59 PM
I don't really remember our previous trophies as was quite young plus my family doesn't watch sport so it was never on, and checking teletext for results doesn't really get the heart going as much as watching them.

so for that reason, it was this years FA Cup. The sheer joy and jubilation around the Arsenal on saturday was incredible. The whole day was a lot of fun, and the release of 9 years of frustration came out in those celebrations.

fakeyank
21-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Unbeaten season for me. Winning the PL at SHL was amazing and to add to that, we went unbeaten.. un-fucking-beaten! :scarf:

Xhaka Can’t
21-05-2014, 05:52 PM
This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer.

I'd like to throw into consideration the CWC. We won it at a time when there was very little difference in quality between that competition and the European Cup.

We had no Wrighty in that match and were massive underdogs.

Munchies
21-05-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't really remember our previous trophies as was quite young plus my family doesn't watch sport so it was never on, and checking teletext for results doesn't really get the heart going as much as watching them.

so for that reason, it was this years FA Cup. The sheer joy and jubilation around the Arsenal on saturday was incredible. The whole day was a lot of fun, and the release of 9 years of frustration came out in those celebrations.

Ah I remember teletext :bow:

Remember having a friend over during the Leeds game when we lost at home, and the tv was just set on the scores.

Globalgunner
21-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Got to be the 2002 season title, with us winning 1-0 at OT, no Henry and Wiltord putting in in the net. Kanu leapfrogging a kneeling Wiltord. Brilliant.!!

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2014, 06:09 PM
89 Anfield. A mere formality transformed into the greatest title win ever. Everyone bar Arsenal fans were floored at the final whistle, wiped out. Incredible night, the bits of it I can remember at least.

Letters
21-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Got to be the 2002 season title, with us winning 1-0 at OT, no Henry and Wiltord putting in in the net. Kanu leapfrogging a kneeling Wiltord. Brilliant.!!
:gp:

:yippee:

Letters
21-05-2014, 06:21 PM
This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer.

I'd like to throw into consideration the CWC. We won it at a time when there was very little difference in quality between that competition and the European Cup.

We had no Wrighty in that match and were massive underdogs.
It lacks the last minute goal but the final and the whole run to it was unbelievably tense.
It was the very height of 1-0 to the Arsenal, just looked up the scores and after the thumping of Standard Liege all our scores were in binary.
Alan Smith :bow:

Özim
21-05-2014, 06:53 PM
92/93 for me, after a thoroughly enjoyable season a last minute goal for a double cup triumph.

How thoroughly enjoyable that season was.

Özim
21-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Also 97/98 when we won the double, very special indeed.

Tony Adams lashing in that goal in the 4-0 against Everton was amazing.

Xhaka Can’t
21-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Yeah, the Adams goal is a seminal moment in out Club's history. So much so, the statue of him has immortalised that moment.

Letters
21-05-2014, 07:05 PM
That double really was out of the blue, didn't see it coming at all.
Wenger :bow:, tbh.

GP
21-05-2014, 07:07 PM
That double really was out of the blue, didn't see it coming at all.
Wenger :bow:, tbh.

His first full season, too. Absolutely outstanding. Changed the club forever.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2014, 07:43 PM
The fourth place finish last season.

Probably the 94 Cup Winners Cup really. Up against a very good side and scroted it out in the best way possible.

LDG
21-05-2014, 08:12 PM
89, no question. Fuck that Aguero shit. This was a proper cup final title decider, where the odds were stacked against us. Not only did we get the required score, having been level on goal difference, points and pretty much everything.....for it to be scored in the very last minute of injury time, on a Friday night....

Pure magic.

After that, The League Title with Adams sealing it, and last Saturday.

All because they were the most emotional.

Munchies
21-05-2014, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af1pbKbk1xM

:bow:

Transplanted Gooner
21-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Anfield '89 : I was 17 and we were coming out of the mid-80's doldrums. I was literally shaking with the nervousness.
The nervousness, and the resignation that we've effed it up again was summed up perfectly in Fever Pitch.
It's up for grabs now! Thomasssss !!

Power n Glory
21-05-2014, 08:48 PM
97/98 Double. One heck of a ride. It was exciting to see young players like Anelka and Alex Manninger step up. The genius of Bergkamp. Overmars tearing up the flanks. Adams with that striker like finish against Everton...a great season.

Letters
21-05-2014, 09:02 PM
89, no question. Fuck that Aguero shit. This was a proper cup final title decider, where the odds were stacked against us. Not only did we get the required score, having been level on goal difference, points and pretty much everything.....for it to be scored in the very last minute of injury time, on a Friday night....

Pure magic.
My one regret from that evening is I wish I'd been a bit older and a bit more bothered.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the enormity of what had happened and I day-dreamed happily about the Thomas goal for months, maybe years, after. Still gives me goosebumps now. It was definitely the moment which had the most effect on me but the '93 one - me being there, me being more bothered about football generally, that was the first one that really made me jump around like a lunatic.

Football :bow:

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-05-2014, 09:07 PM
My one regret from that evening is I wish I'd been a bit older and a bit more bothered.

I most definitely don't regret that I wasn't alive for it.

Letters
21-05-2014, 09:07 PM
You weren't alive?!

I'm so old :(

GP
21-05-2014, 09:09 PM
'89 was the first game I ever went to.

And then I won wimbledon, tbh.

Transplanted Gooner
21-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Then you've never witnessed your team win the league.
..which is exactly where I was at the time, and why it resonates so much.

Letters
21-05-2014, 09:41 PM
'89 was the first game I ever went to.

And then I won wimbledon, tbh.
:haha:

Mrs Fourth :loveblush:

Munchies
21-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Anyone really think about the 03 fa cup final? Seems to be a trophy which gets brushed under all the time :lol:

Letters
21-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Anyone really think about the 03 fa cup final? Seems to be a trophy which gets brushed under all the time :lol:
Sandwiched between two titles and we really should have won it that year too.
We were so spoiled back then, it seemed like an anti-climax just winning the Cup!

LDG
22-05-2014, 02:40 AM
Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the enormity of what had happened and I day-dreamed happily about the Thomas goal for months, maybe years, after. Still gives me goosebumps now. It was definitely the moment which had the most effect on me but the '93 one - me being there, me being more bothered about football generally, that was the first one that really made me jump around like a lunatic.

Football :bow:

Littlewoods Cup Final 87 win and then losing the following year already taught me if the highs and lows of supporting the Arsenal. I attended both, so was fully aware of what was at stake in '89. I was only 10, bit had every ounce of emotion invested in it....a lot to do with school rivalry against nearly everyone (who were all Bin Dippers back then, the glory hunting cunts).

I had so much piss taken out of me for Luton 88, that this was a could not lose, in so many ways. I knew the team back to front, and it was the first season I followed every single game for the results etc. i remember the Norwich 5-0 like it was yesterday, as it was such a "wow" game....Smiths goals, the "two in a minute" etc.

It was also a time when I had all the games recorded on video and watched our wins back constantly!

I was there in 93 too! It was a cool night. The game was so boring though! :lol:

Letters
22-05-2014, 06:21 AM
The game was so boring though! :lol:
Having got the DVD of Anfield '89 a few years back have to say that was a pretty boring game, till the end.
Arsenal couldn't afford to go too gung-ho - Graham famously told them not to panic if it was 0-0 at half time. Liverpool only needed a draw so they weren't going for it either.
Anfield '89 definitely had the most impact on me but I didn't have the context of supporting them game to game that season or the tension of a title run-in I'd have in other seasons.

(this is from memory so forgive any mistakes)

"Arsenal come streaming forward in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas! It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end! An unbelievable climax to the league season. Well into injury time the Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject. Barnes is down, Aldridge is down, Dougleish just stands there. Nicholl's on his knees, McMahon's on his knees. Suddenly it was Thomas bursting through. He flicks it wide of Grobellar and we have the most dramatic finish possibly in the history of the football league. The top two challenging on the night and the title possibly decided in the last minute of the whole season.

:upset: :scarf:

Aguero?! :lol: Fuck off...

GP
22-05-2014, 07:08 AM

I went to that one. Sat in the Southampton end. Had to just sit there when Bobby scored.

Wasn't a great game, tbh.

GP
22-05-2014, 07:20 AM
what's funnier, McMahon's 'One minute' signal or Gerrard's 'This does not slip' speech.

I guess it's got to be Gerrard. Because he literally did slip.

I am invisible
22-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Definitely '89 for me - I was only 9 at the time, so I don't think I fully understood it all, but it's the first trophy I remember really celebrating with my Dad. Will never forget him racing out the door and running down the street, shouting his head off - don't think I've ever seen him move so fast!

Letters
22-05-2014, 08:17 AM
what's funnier, McMahon's 'One minute' signal or Gerrard's 'This does not slip' speech.

I guess it's got to be Gerrard. Because he literally did slip.
It was quite funny chanting "one minute, one minute, one minute" at him for the 10 years afterwards, but Gerrard's was more ironical.