BREAKING NEWS: Arsene Wenger agrees new Arsenal contract until 2017

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/472336718214209536

Marc Overmars
30-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Will surely be his last contract.

Wenget. :bow:

Özim
30-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I think it was pretty much the worst kept secret in football that he had a job for life if he wanted it.

GP
30-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Great news

Munchies
30-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Been given the full screen treatment on SSN

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo4Y_k5IQAALhG3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bo4Yg5LIIAAGLIS.jpg

milla
30-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Wenger :bow:

Arsenal :rose:

Xhaka Can’t
30-05-2014, 01:35 PM
For a long time I was hoping that he would move on and finish on a high with the FA Cup victory while leaving what essentially is a strong foundation for someone else.

But it's not to be. I was as much delighted for him that he finally won a trophy after what has been a challenging and frustrating era.

Maybe a renewed taste of victory, along with what should be financial freedom will give him a new lease of life. But I still think, what is missing and what could be our undoing over the next three years is a strong counterweight within the club to challenge and complement the skills that Wenger brings to the table.

Niall_Quinn
30-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Good stuff. Good this is sorted early, now on with the business of locating the chequebook.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Good stuff. Good this is sorted early, now on with the business of locating the chequebook.

Its under Sonia Tatar's couch

selassie
30-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I was hoping he was going to be offered a 2 year deal max. Here's hoping he brings us success from now on, The FA Cup was a good start.

I am invisible
30-05-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm happy enough to let Arsene carry on for a bit - to be honest, I can't see him ever changing his 'one size fits all' approach to our gameplay, but I do have some hope that he now has the means to surround himself with the same kind of top-level players that he used to, so we can turn our one style of play into something to fear again.

An overhaul of our approach towards fitness and recovery would also be nice.

fakeyank
30-05-2014, 03:37 PM
For a long time I was hoping that he would move on and finish on a high with the FA Cup victory while leaving what essentially is a strong foundation for someone else.

But it's not to be. I was as much delighted for him that he finally won a trophy after what has been a challenging and frustrating era.

Maybe a renewed taste of victory, along with what should be financial freedom will give him a new lease of life. But I still think, what is missing and what could be our undoing over the next three years is a strong counterweight within the club to challenge and complement the skills that Wenger brings to the table.

:gp:

Letters
30-05-2014, 04:17 PM
It would be nice for him personally to have ended on a high but I'm not sure it would have been the right thing for the club. One of the criticisms of the club is that Wenger has too much influence. That may be true (while we're here, that's why he gets the big bucks, he's far more than a football coach - whether he should be is another debate) but it does mean that replacing him will not be easy. IMO we need to spend the next few years making that transition.

We've finally got the monkey off our back of not winning trophies, we've got new commercial deals in place which should see us more able to compete in the transfer market for years, we've got the feelgood factor of winning a trophy which gives everyone a lift. I don't think that's the right time to be changing manager with all the disruption that could cause.

I am invisible
30-05-2014, 04:46 PM
It would be nice for him personally to have ended on a high but I'm not sure it would have been the right thing for the club. One of the criticisms of the club is that Wenger has too much influence. That may be true (while we're here, that's why he gets the big bucks, he's far more than a football coach - whether he should be is another debate) but it does mean that replacing him will not be easy. IMO we need to spend the next few years making that transition.

We've finally got the monkey off our back of not winning trophies, we've got new commercial deals in place which should see us more able to compete in the transfer market for years, we've got the feelgood factor of winning a trophy which gives everyone a lift. I don't think that's the right time to be changing manager with all the disruption that could cause.

It's already happening. Ivan has been getting his own men on the business side of things in place for a few years now, and Jonker has just taken taken over the academy (Ivan's man). It looks like all of Wenger's chosen coaches have been moved to either those youth levels directly below the first team, or have been given positions with him in the first team (basically all the areas that Wenger will be dealing with over the next 3 years), and that any of the levels beyond that (i.e. those age groups that are too young for Wenger to need to consider in the next 3 years) are now being run my new appointments (Ivan and Jonker appointments). By the time Wenger (pressumably) retires in 3 years, these will be the U21s and reserves, and at this point I would expect another coaching reshuffle, with a further raft of appointments who are tied to the club and not the manager...

Japan Shaking All Over
30-05-2014, 07:51 PM
I am going to say that I am happy.....although I have voiced frustration at his 'ways' of doing things, something inside me still says he deserves to dictate when he walks but not at the expense of the club, who I don't doubt for a minute he loves as much as any of us do......my hair is readying itself for another period of pulling out of my head

Grebbo
31-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Gutted... especially with Moyes available for hire.

Better the devil you know IMO. I think it's only fair that Wenger has a chance to spend a decent transfer budget seeing as he played a huge part in creating this Arsenal money making machine.

He has faults, no doubt about it but he's still a very good manager and we could do a lot worse. Is that a good enough reason to keep him? Looking at Man Utd it is.

It's also worth remembering that old Wenger can still spot and attract talent. I think he was the main reason Ozil joined us. Man City have an unlimited budget and want a right back...who are they signing? A player that Arsene bought to England. Half the damn City team has been Arsenal in recent years and that tells you that Wenger can still find talent, he's just had to do it on a budget which has hopefully now changed somewhat.

LDG
31-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Whilst I think it's time to move on, and freshen up the club, it's probably true that we need a period of transition with Wenger atvthe helm to keep the good ship fourth, steady.

Who knows. Maybe the cup is a springboard, in which case I would be delighted. He's still a bloody good manager, for all his faults. And lets not forget, we understand these faults because we are so familiar with him, and quite honestly, it's not like he's run the club into the ground. We're a big club, with a big stadium, good players, and a trophy in the cabinet. Not that bad really!

Plus. I still love the dude. He's Arsenal through and through.

All in all; I'm not all upset about something which isn't really that bad, especially when you consider "Moyes".

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Wenger's health (no doubt private health care) is bound to be better than most and his personality and obsession with fitness lends itself to long life. I don't by any means think this has to be his last contract.....as if every football manager has to be on the brink of snuffing it in their late 60's!

I feel about the same way Invisible does on it though. The thought of finishing 4th next season without a trophy has flashed across my mind though and the reaction it would garner....

RomfordPele
31-05-2014, 08:48 AM
He'll be like a new signing...

Penguin
31-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Meh