PDA

View Full Version : Qatar 2022

Shaqiri Is Boss
08-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Do you think it will actually happen there? Do you think they will change it to the winter, given the insane weather?

It seems sponsors are starting to break ranks and diplomatically voice concerns, I've seen Sony and Adidas do it so far. If enough of them start to baulk then maybe it will hit FIFA in the only way they recognise.... £££.

I think most people would be hard pressed to say brown envelopes weren't involved in the decision to give it to Qatar. (Saying that, Blatter's ego is such that he probably genuinely wants it there) It was so ludicrously blatant that maybe FIFA thought it would look almost too ridiculous to be corrupt.

Have even they over reached themselves awarding it to Qatar? Will they now row back and see if they can pin it on that Bin Hammam? Maybe even UEFA could kick up a fuss; Platini isn't too happy with Blatter over him not being dead seeking re-election so he might not have too much support amongst the traditional heavyweights. *Actually, he probably would cough PSG cough*

It is looking more and more like something will give though. Presumably any re vote for 2022 would involve the same nations (ie not England). If the first bid is anything to go by, USA would win it comfortably.

GP
08-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Anyone remember which poster on here accused anyone who though the voting was rigged of being bitter?

Anyway, yeah, it obviously shouldn't be held there. The human rights record alone should see it hosted in the USA.

Munchies
08-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Best take it away and re vote for it.

USA/Australia would be good bets to win I think.

Rors
08-06-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm not so sure a World Cup "should" be held anywhere, but to my eyes Australia ticked all the boxes for 2022. Also worth noting that Qatar's interest actually came along quite late in the bidding process..make of that what you will.

I would still be amazed if the bid for 2022 is re-run though. We will be giving the old "no compelling evidence" line. Blatter might be an utter arse, but he isn't going to shot on his own doorstep...(puns intended all over the shop).

Munchies
08-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Aren't they going to make the Euros spread across Europe?

Don't think it'd work for the world cup though, unless you say eg, 2018 Europe, 2022 Africa etc

Niall_Quinn
09-06-2014, 06:19 AM
What needs to happen is FIFA being investigated by the relevant International criminal enforcement authorities and the guilty parties rounded up and jailed - as would happen if any regular guy took bribes and committed fraud. There's a danger here of equating the act of these criminals rowing back their decision with justice, like when a bankster is caught fixing the interest rates and pays 2% of the stolen total back as a fine. The crooks at FIFA may well have their grubby minds forcibly changed now their rock has been lifted, but what will that mean if there's no justice served? They will get their next series of bungs from elsewhere. The fact FIFA is corrupt is open knowledge, there's a mountain of evidence. These bastards can't be allowed to continue influencing a global sport to their own benefit.

Marc Overmars
09-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Apparently Qatar signed away the right to take legal action against FIFA as part of their bid. So I guess there's every chance FIFA could have a re-vote knowing they won't be opposed.

The whole thing is bent as fuck, a country like Qatar has no business hosting a World Cup.

Munchies
09-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Apparently Qatar signed away the right to take legal action against FIFA as part of their bid. So I guess there's every chance FIFA could have a re-vote knowing they won't be opposed.

The whole thing is bent as fuck, a country like Qatar has no business hosting a World Cup.

Wow :haha:

What a farce. Why would any legitimate bidder retract their right to take legal action :wacko:

Shaqiri Is Boss
09-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Blatter says the allegations of corruption against Qatar are down to racism :haha:

Injury Time
09-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Best take it away and re vote for it.

USA/Australia would be good bets to win I think.
Travel too much little bit if they joint host shirley :blink:

McNamara That Ghost...
09-06-2014, 07:34 PM
World Cup all day. :bow:

Would like to see Australia get it, wonder if they would use the MCG.

Munchies
09-06-2014, 08:14 PM
World Cup all day. :bow:

Would like to see Australia get it, wonder if they would use the MCG.

Just looked it up, 100,000 capacity for a cricket ground.

Woah.. :wacko:

Xhaka Can’t
09-06-2014, 08:32 PM
I've been there. It is a truly magnificent stadium.

Munchies
13-06-2014, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I&feature=player_embedded

Bunch of fucking cunts FIFA.

Great summary vid this which has got over 3 mill views already :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2014, 11:06 AM
LOL - FIFA are suddenly worried about fraud. Either that or somebody said something to piss them off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2658510/FIFA-probe-35-000-payment-Englands-2018-World-Cup-bid-team.html

McNamara That Ghost...
24-02-2015, 09:04 AM
A FIFA 'taskforce' recommends that the 2022 World Cup should take place in November and December. :sarcy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31600194

Letters
24-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Probably preferable than all the players dying from heat exhaustion, but not quite sure how all the European leagues are going to schedule around it.

:doh:

Marc Overmars
24-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Even though it's years away you can already see this World Cup is going to be played amongst huge disdain.

I guess the European Leagues will need to be extended to June, maybe even July.

The Emirates Gallactico
24-02-2015, 09:47 AM
I pray that the big four leagues, i.e. the PL, the Bundesliga, La Liga and Seria A unite on this issue and basically tell FIFA to get fucked and that they're not going to reschedule their leagues.

Because we would in all likelihood see the end of this ridiculous Qatar 2022 idea as with the money involved in domestic leagues these days, the top players would stay away. It may even result in some meaningful changes at FIFA though I'd just be happy with Qatar being scrapped at this stage.

But this assumes that these groups can act competently which is a stretch.

Marc Overmars
24-02-2015, 12:25 PM
December 23rd is the rumoured final date. :lol:

Letters
24-02-2015, 12:30 PM
What a fiasco.
FIFA are such twats.

GP
24-02-2015, 12:30 PM
The whole thing is a farce.

The FAs need to band together and boycott the thing.

Niall_Quinn
24-02-2015, 04:37 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/23/2603361200000578-2965669-image-a-44_1424720715792.jpg

This is what corruption looks like. These cunts are laughing at all of football.

It's time fans stopped talking about what can't be done and what can't be changed and started doing something to change things. There are about, what, 20 posters on GW? 20 clubs in the PL. That's one GW poster per club, find the 20 top fan forums and start unifying the fans against this.

I could be done if we have the will to do it.

Letters, Maccy, make it happen. I'm in and I don't even mind being assigned the spud forum.

Niall_Quinn
24-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Even the stadiums are going to be giant turds.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/24/2607D80E00000578-2966477-image-m-15_1424771861566.jpg

Heisenberg
24-02-2015, 06:49 PM
It's almost as if the tournament should just be staged somewhere else...

Niall_Quinn
24-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Gone beyond that now though, hasn't it? If this extreme degree of shameless corruption isn't enough to bring the football world together to kick these wankers out then nothing will do it.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-02-2015, 08:17 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31610300

There are just no words.

Christmas with Sepp. I can't think of anything better.

This is going to have quite a huge impact on how they structure the season before; basically, how the hell do they do it?

Marc Overmars
25-02-2015, 09:57 AM
December 23rd has been confirmed as the proposed final date. A Friday. :lol:

Last day of work and a World Cup final. Sounds good tbf.

Letters
25-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Letters, Maccy, make it happen. I'm in and I don't even mind being assigned the spud forum.
Someone will have to, I got banned from Glory Glory :lol:

GP
25-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Someone will have to, I got banned from Glory Glory :lol:

They didn't even approve my registration.

Might have taken issue with the username DieYidCuntsDie :shrug:

Letters
25-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Did you explain it's German?

GP
25-02-2015, 10:56 AM
No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Niall_Quinn
25-02-2015, 12:22 PM
They didn't even approve my registration.

Might have taken issue with the username DieYidCuntsDie :shrug:

Great info. That's why I love GW. I was going to register with that username but now I'll use something else.

Özim
25-02-2015, 12:22 PM
One the one hand it was an awful idea to have the World Cup in Quatar, on the other hand there's 7 years to go which is plenty to prepare for a World Cup in winter. Saw that if English clubs kick up a fuss FIFA might apply to UEFA to ban English clubs from Europe.

I don't mind a World Cup then, would prefer final to be the 18th December rather than 23rd though (both a possibility) as the 23rd is too close to Xmas, think that the big boys think they run football though (the big clubs) so to put them back in their place might not be a bad thing.

Niall_Quinn
25-02-2015, 12:39 PM
So it's better to have an overtly corrupt world governing body taking backhanders from nasty, human rights abusing, terrorism supporting, oil states that have no association whatsoever with football? Is that really the best way to teach the big boys a lesson? What sort of lesson? Corruption pays? Handsomely?

Whether it's hosted in Qatar or on the Moon is a secondary issue. The fact FIFA (and UEFA) is so rotten, so riddled with corruption and so willing to flaunt it is the key concern. If we want sporting principals to prevail in our own leagues then systematically rooting out corruption in the game should be a priority, starting at the top.

I just don't get why 7 billion people are prepared to sit around and be dictated to and robbed by a handful of unimaginably greedy and immoral bastards. Every single leader we have, not just in sport but in all walks, is a bad leader at best and a criminal in the main. When are the rest of us going to do something about that?

Getting dragged into schedules and player availability and bullshit like that misses the point. It bypasses the important questions that even a child should be able to figure out. For instance, why is the summer/ winter thing an issue at all? If Qatar bid for a summer tournament and it was an unsuitable venue for that tournament due to the temperature then why did it get selected as the host. Let's step back to that point and deal with it. No point running off down the track and arguing over the symptoms when the cause should be the primary focus.

Fans could do something about this. They won't.

Most of them will just accept it and as more and more corruption takes root they'll accept that too. You may not mind the Christmas treat but to accept it you must also accept the corruption. Do you?

Özim
25-02-2015, 01:04 PM
It's not about one thing being better than another, Qatar has been chosen whether we like it or not and the ordinary fan has never had a say as to where a World Cup should be, I agree Qatar is a terrible choice but what's done is done and now you have to make the best of it and having the World Cup clashing with the winter Olympics certainly doesn't work, that leaves having it late in the year. It should be easy enough for most leagues as they can just shift their winter break. more difficult for the PL perhaps but I've got little sympathy, they don't do anything in the interest of football either they generally do things because of money.

It's a one off and in 7 years time, it's hardly the end of the world.

Niall_Quinn
25-02-2015, 01:14 PM
It's not about one thing being better than another, Qatar has been chosen whether we like it or not and the ordinary fan has never had a say as to where a World Cup should be, I agree Qatar is a terrible choice but what's done is done and now you have to make the best of it and having the World Cup clashing with the winter Olympics certainly doesn't work, that leaves having it late in the year. It should be easy enough for most leagues as they can just shift their winter break. more difficult for the PL perhaps but I've got little sympathy, they don't do anything in the interest of football either they generally do things because of money.

It's a one off and in 7 years time, it's hardly the end of the world.

You completely miss the point. And it's a small part of the end of the world. Add up all the corruption across all aspects of society and it does indeed add up to the end of the world. It can't lead anywhere else.

Niall_Quinn
27-02-2015, 05:33 PM
FIFA president Sepp Blatter promised that the Qatar World Cup in 2022 will not ruin Christmas for football fans.

Blatter, arriving in Belfast for the rules-deciding IFAB summit, insisted that the World Cup final will not be played on December 23 as a FIFA workshop floated in Qatar this week when agreeing on a November-December World Cup schedule.

Instead Blatter said that FIFA would recommend that the 28-day tournament would finish no later than December 18, which would potentially allow the Premier League to resume on Boxing Day.

Blatter to the rescue. A victory for football. This is like a rapist generously promising he'll cum on your tits. No thanks necessary.

Letters
27-02-2015, 05:51 PM
This is like a rapist generously promising he'll cum on your tits.
:haha:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-02-2015, 06:57 PM
As the late Brian Clough once wisely said

"I hope they all get bloody diarrhea"

Maestro
27-02-2015, 09:31 PM
It's not about one thing being better than another, Wenger has been chosen as manager whether we like it or not and the ordinary fan has never had a say as to who the manager should be, I agree Wenger is a terrible choice but what's done is done and now you have to make the best of it and having Wenger sacked clashing with the board's aims certainly doesn't work, that leaves having Wenger stay on for a few more years. It should be easy enough for most fans as they can just shift their mental breakdown. more difficult for the die hard fans perhaps but I've got little sympathy, they don't do anything in the interest of the club either they generally do things because of money.

It's a one off FA Cup win in 10 years, it's hardly the end of the world.

Agreed totally

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Call me old fashioned but i prefer my corruption to be surreptitious

The worst thing about the FIFA parasite is that it it's so brazenly corrupt

Qatar is the shining example of this, it's taken until four years until after the tournament was awarded to the gulf state to decide for definite "no we probably shouldn't hold it here during summer because fans and players will probably die". We know before an event is awarded to a country or city that they are meant to pass certain feasibility requirements (at no point was the question asked about hosting a summer tournament in a country where during that time of year it gets hotter than the sun's corona)

But that aside, i'm not annoyed at the time of year the world cup will have to be held, if i felt the bid was above board and that the FIFA delegates had genuinely decided to be that flexible to allow that part of the world to host the event for the first time than you'd say fair enough. But no attempt has even been made to pretend that this is the case.

I don't know what i will think come 2022, but at the moment i have no interest in watching this world cup....hosted by a country whose rulers have no regard for human life.

Xhaka Can’t
27-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Blatter to the rescue. A victory for football. This is like a rapist generously promising he'll cum on your tits. No thanks necessary.

LDG
28-02-2015, 05:04 AM
:lol:

Who fuckin cares about this corrupt tournament.

I won't bother watching it. The game is ruined, and the sooner we all stop feeding the cunts with cash by watching, the better.

fakeyank
28-02-2015, 05:08 AM
I am all against Qatar getting the WC because everything about the bidding process was as clean as the tap water in Bangladesh.

However, does bad weather just mean that the Middle East should never host a WC? If it is the world cup, every nation with the resources should have a decent shout. I think being flexible for one year to host the WC in winter will be a good challenge. May be it should not be for a nation like Qatar, but our fixation that a WC should only happen in the month of June/July needs to be overcome.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
28-02-2015, 07:38 AM
I am all against Qatar getting the WC because everything about the bidding process was as clean as the tap water in Bangladesh.

However, does bad weather just mean that the Middle East should never host a WC? If it is the world cup, every nation with the resources should have a decent shout. I think being flexible for one year to host the WC in winter will be a good challenge. May be it should not be for a nation like Qatar, but our fixation that a WC should only happen in the month of June/July needs to be overcome.

The Middle East is not a viable place to hold the world cup, not because of the weather in summer but because none of these states have any respect for human rights, fairness or openness. Once Democracy, women's rights and freedom of/from religion comes to these places then perhaps they should be able to host an international tournament.

Injury Time
28-02-2015, 09:54 AM

I recall as part of the bid was reassurance re airconditioned stadium to take account of the heat, solar powered to not ruin the environment, why wouldn't you believe an extremely rich oil producing country that this wouldn't actually be the case. Now where are those thick envelopes to help keep me cool by wafting them?

fakeyank
01-03-2015, 12:57 AM
I recall as part of the bid was reassurance re airconditioned stadium to take account of the heat, solar powered to not ruin the environment, why wouldn't you believe an extremely rich oil producing country that this wouldn't actually be the case. Now where are those thick envelopes to help keep me cool by wafting them?

I think having air conditioned stadiums is not a problem for the Arabs... what is the problem is the 'experience' for the fans. You cannot get AC on the streets for the fans to 'soak in the WC atmosphere'. WC is a lot about the fans experience and in the summer heat of Qatar, you cannot experience anything other than a heatstroke!

Injury Time
01-03-2015, 12:00 PM
I think having air conditioned stadiums is not a problem for the Arabs... what is the problem is the 'experience' for the fans. You cannot get AC on the streets for the fans to 'soak in the WC atmosphere'. WC is a lot about the fans experience and in the summer heat of Qatar, you cannot experience anything other than a heatstroke!
About the fans :haha: :haha: :haha:

Stop it you're killing me :haha: :haha:

Marc Overmars
19-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Officially switched to winter with the final confirmed as 18th December. Expected start date is 21st November.

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2015, 06:18 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Leeches

Niall_Quinn
20-05-2015, 01:06 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/18/fifa-to-investigate-arrest-of-bbc-news-team-in-qatar

Only 7 years until kick off, what could possibly go wrong?

GP
20-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Why are the FAs not boycotting this farce?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
20-05-2015, 01:44 PM
No Beer, No Queers, No workers rights....no questions asked?

Welcome to Qatar !

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
20-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Why are the FAs not boycotting this farce?

When's the last time anyone that mattered took a stand against anything?

Morality and Values are so 20th century

GP
20-05-2015, 03:38 PM
The whole middle east is a fucking cesspool. Just nuke the bastard lot of them.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
20-05-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that would just create far more problems than it solves, all we need to do is stick two fingers to the petroleum lobbyists put more money into funding further research into Fusion energy and then we won't be OPEC's bitches anymore.
And we don't have to tolerate their backward traditions and barbarous culture anymore, because there's no money to be made with black gold.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Luis Figo's statement after ditching his bid for the presidency of FIFA.

Running for president of FIFA resulted from a personal decision, taken after listening to many pertinent people in the realm of international soccer.

I sought out the support needed for me to stand, I formally presented my candidacy, and the reactions in the soccer world were so overwhelming - both in public and in private - that I was reassured that I had made the right decision.

The realm of a sport which gave me everything to become what I am, and to which I now offered to give something back, is hungry for change. FIFA needs change and I feel that the change is urgent.

Guided by that wish, by the formal support I collected, and by the incredible wave of support from soccer players, former players, coaches, referees and administrators, I imagined and presented a plan of action - my election manifesto for the FIFA presidency.

I traveled and met extraordinary people who, though they recognized the value of much that had been done, also concurred with the need for change, one that cleans up FIFA's reputation as an obscure organization that is so often viewed as a place of corruption.

But over the past few months I have not only witnessed that desire (for change), I have witnessed consecutive incidents, all over the world, that should shame anyone who desires soccer to be free, clean and democratic.

I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing FIFA leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this. I saw it with my own eyes.

The candidates were prevented from addressing federations at congresses while one of the candidates always gave speeches on his own from the rostrum. There has not been a single public debate about each candidate's proposals.

Does anyone think it's normal that an election for one of the most relevant organizations on the planet can go ahead without a public debate? Does anyone think it's normal that one of the candidates doesn't even bother to present an election manifesto that can be voted on May 29? Shouldn't it be mandatory to present such a manifesto so that federation presidents know what they're voting for?

That would be normal, but this electoral process is anything but an election.

This (election) process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man - something I refuse to go along with.

That is why, after a personal reflection and sharing views with two other candidates in this process, I believe that what is going to happen on May 29 in Zurich is not a normal electoral act.

And because it is not, don't count on me.

I want it to be clear that I have deep respect for all world soccer, from Africa, where I got so much motivation, to Asia, where I have and will keep excellent relationships, through South America, where a new generation is emerging, and Central and North America, where so many who wanted to speak were silenced, and to Oceania, whose development we should all look at differently. And finally to Europe, where I felt there was space for normal and democratic debate, thanks to the endeavors of President (Michel) Platini.

I give my warmest thanks to everyone, because I want it to be clear that they are not the election committee and it is not they who want FIFA to become weaker and weaker.

For my part, I will abide by the ideas I leave written and have circulated, I am firm in my desire to take an active part in the regeneration of FIFA and I will be available for it whenever it is proven to me that we are not living under a dictatorship.

I do not fear the ballot box, but I will not go along with nor will I give my consent to a process which will end on May 29 and from which soccer will not emerge the winner.

My decision is made, I will not stand in what is being called an election for the FIFA presidency.

I offer my deepest thanks to all those who have supported me and I ask them to keep alive their desire for a regeneration which, though it may take some time, will come.

Blatter is expected to win by another landslide.

When I first read about it I thought it said the corrupt cunt had been killed in a landslide. I was just about to leap for joy and organise a party (sometimes I follow the herd) when I realised it was my hopes, dreams and prayers playing tricks on me.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Dutch FA president Michael van Praag has pulled out of the race for the FIFA presidency and has given his backing to Prince Ali bin Al Hussein.

'After thorough deliberation and reflection with different involved parties and stakeholders, Michael van Praag decided to withdraw his candidacy to become the next FIFA president and to join forces with presidential candidate Prince Ali Al Hussein.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/05/01/21/2800421C00000578-3064652-image-a-13_1430512415369.jpg

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2015, 05:05 PM
America views its close ally, Qatar, as a terrorist funding trouble spot. Washington has gone so far as to call the small Persian Gulf state a permissive environment for financing terrorist groups.

The United States says it does not have evidence that the government of Qatar is funding the terrorist group now known as the Islamic State (ISIS). But it does believe that private individuals in Qatar are helping to finance this group and others like it. And it thinks the Gulf state is not doing enough to stop this.

To influence Qatar's policies, the United States has employed a carrot-and-stick approach. It heaps praise on its ally for developing new anti-terrorist financing regulations, while privately discouraging and sometimes publicly admonishing its support for terrorist organizations.

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/qatar-and-isis-funding-the-u.s.-approach

Take Qatar. There is evidence that, as the US magazine The Atlantic puts it, “Qatar’s military and economic largesse has made its way to Jabhat al-Nusra”, an al-Qaida group operating in Syria. Less than two weeks ago, Germany’s development minister, Gerd Mueller, was slapped down after pointing the finger at Qatar for funding Islamic State (Isis).

While there is no evidence to suggest Qatar’s regime is directly funding Isis, powerful private individuals within the state certainly are, and arms intended for other jihadi groups are likely to have fallen into their hands. According to a secret memo signed by Hillary Clinton, released by Wikileaks, Qatar has the worst record of counter-terrorism cooperation with the US.

And yet, where are the western demands for Qatar to stop funding international terrorism or being complicit in the rise of jihadi groups? Instead, Britain arms Qatar’s dictatorship, selling it millions of pounds worth of weaponry including “crowd-control ammunition” and missile parts. There are other reasons for Britain to keep stumm, too. Qatar owns lucrative chunks of Britain such as the Shard, a big portion of Sainsbury’s and a slice of the London Stock Exchange.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/31/combat-terror-end-support-saudi-arabia-dictatorships-fundamentalism