PDA

View Full Version : Mario Balotelli

AKBapologist
17-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Because we make threads for just about everyone these days...
http://onebit.us/x/i/RL5Ryjm2LB.jpg
(Mario's worldcup sticker book)

:coffee:

Penguin
17-06-2014, 01:11 PM
/Delete thread

AKBapologist
17-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Mino Raiola says that the Gunners are "a fantastic club", one of a select few who could afford to sign his client from AC Milan, with reports of an incoming £25 million bid

Mario Balotelli's agent says that "anything is possible" as regards a rumoured transfer to Arsenal for his client.

WORLD CUP LATEST
25/1 The Daily Mirror claims that the Gunners are preparing a £25 million bid for the AC Milan striker, currently on World Cup duty with Italy, and Mino Raiola indicated that it was a welcome link.

"Arsenal are a fantastic club," he told Sky Sports when asked about the report.

"Only eight or 10 clubs in the world can afford Mario Balotelli - like all premium players, and he is one of the greatest.

"[Will the move happen?] Anything is possible."

The former Manchester City striker has scored 28 goals in 51 appearances for the Rossoneri since returning to Serie A in January 2013.

He was on the scoresheet for his country against England in Manaus, netting the winner as the Azzurri got off to a strong start in Group D.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/06/17/4890476/-?

Marc Overmars
17-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Time for Super Mario to come home.

Munchies
17-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Seems it could happen but even Seedorf had trouble with him.

Odds of him leaving after one season?

Injury Time
17-06-2014, 09:01 PM

No way, Diaby will brokeback mountain his ass :cloud9:

Niall_Quinn
17-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Signing this guy will waste another season in our hunt for a long term striking solution. Plenty of other options out there for the kind of money we'd have to pay him and his agent. Wonder if this is all about merchandising or something like that?

The Emirates Gallactico
17-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Not fully committed to him but I'd take him over another season of Giroud and Sanago.

Injury Time
17-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Wenger has got form with strong personalities, bad boys like Ade....oh

GP
17-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Ade wasn't a bad boy. He was just a cunt.

Xhaka Can’t
17-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Still is. :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
17-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Always will be. :tea:

GP
17-06-2014, 09:42 PM
:horlicks:

milla
18-06-2014, 10:58 AM
feck off!!! :chai:

Chippy
18-06-2014, 09:40 PM
No way, Diaby will brokeback mountain his ass :cloud9:

WTF? :wacko:

selassie
20-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Yeah there is plenty of talk. Mind you, if our interest is geniune and Balotelli wants to come I wouldn't put it past us to open the bidding at 10million or something like that.... :lol:

Power n Glory
20-06-2014, 07:40 AM
I thought Seedorf got on okay with him?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/27/uk-soccer-italy-balotelli-idUKBREA3Q0N820140427

(Reuters) - AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf has no complaints about Mario Balotelli and believes the maverick striker is improving despite widespread criticism of his performances and behaviour.

"Balotelli's improvement can be clearly seen, the only people who don't see it are the ones who don't want to," Seedorf told Sky Sport Italia in an interview on Sunday, adding that the pair had a good rapport.

"It's not fair not to recognise his improvement. It's not fair to highlight just the negative things," he added.

Balotelli walked into another storm when he lost his temper in front of the cameras after his performance in Friday's 2-0 loss to AS Roma was criticised by Italian television pundits.

The 23-year-old, who was substituted for Giampaolo Pazzini in the 69th minute having contributed little, told the pundits they did not understand football and threw his microphone down at the end of the interview.

The former Manchester City forward was also criticised for an aggressive gesture directed at Adel Taarabt after giving the ball away during the game.

On Sunday, Italian media said Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was looking at alternatives to Balotelli to lead his attack at the World Cup.

"I didn't think there was a tantrum, it was a gesture I've seen a thousand times in my career," said Seedorf.

"He asked me the reason for his substitution against Roma, just as Keisuke Honda did against Lazio. We have an excellent rapport between two adults.

"I talk to him and offer constructive criticism but I do it in private and not through the media.

"His scoring statistics are good as this is the most prolific season of his career," added the Dutchman, referring to Balotelli's 14 league goals this season.

Power n Glory
20-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Talks of a swap deal for Mario. Milan want Campbell plus money.

I am invisible
20-06-2014, 07:58 AM
If it was an absolute deal-breaker for Milan then I'd maybe reluctantly consider it, but I'd prefer to just pay the money - the figures being quoted for Balotelli so far don't look anything extreme by today's standards, so I don't really see the point in sending Campbell the other way if we don't have to? How much have we just made on selling Vela's rights? Surely that covers any saving we'd be missing out on?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Yeah just buy him outright unless the difference that is campbell is really too good to refuse.....but we haven't heard the price set at an extortionate rate.

Xhaka Can’t
20-06-2014, 08:06 AM
I'd consider it a deal breaker - there is no way we should be parting with Joel Campbell. Balotelli is a major risk for starters. Whereas Joel Campbell is too promising and we need depth and competition in that position.

I am invisible
20-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Yeah just buy him outright unless the difference that is campbell is really too good to refuse.....but we haven't heard the price set at an extortionate rate.

The way I see it, if we include Campbell in the deal, then we'd be getting one player for maybe 15-17m. If we keep Campbell, and just pay the money for Balotelli, then we'd be bringing in 2 players for 25-27m. I'd rather go with option 2 myself.

Power n Glory
20-06-2014, 08:48 AM
What’s the likelihood of Joel Campbell starting for us next season? He has bags of potential but so does Ox and Gnarby. The problem with these loan deals is that your setting yourself up for a fall because the player will be disgruntled if he’s called back to sit on a bench. If we really are going for Reus or Sanchez, it’s more than likely that Joel will sit on the bench. If Milan want him for Mario, Wenger has to really think about this strategically. There is no point in hoarding talent if we haven’t got the capacity to develop them.

I am invisible
20-06-2014, 09:27 AM
I know all evidence suggests that Wenger would be likely to keep him on the bench for most of the season, and play his best XI whenever he can, but all the same, the aim should still be to build out a squad that's big enough and good enough to be able to effectively rotate players on regular basis, and cover for absences. If we want Wenger to change his ways in this respect, and start managing the squad's fitness and freshness better, then first we need to make sure he has the options to actually do it. If he then continues to run the same few players into the ground, at least he won't be able to turn around and say that he didn't have the players needed for it to be possible.

I can also see what you mean about players getting a taste for playing when they go out on loan, and then having to come back to a side where their place isn't certain, but unfortunately that is the reality of life at the top clubs - they have bigger squads, full of better players, so if you want to play for the best then that's the environment you need to get used to.

Niall_Quinn
20-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Dump a young and promising striker for a head case who has caused trouble wherever he goes and will fuck up our dressing room within 30 mins of being here?

This has Arsenal written all over it. Cleverley instead of Fabregas, Balotelli instead of an option that can serve us well for the next 10 years. Why not? If you're going to fuck up then go large.

Of course it's all media speculation, nothing to say we are even considering such a shitty deal. But if Milan want the player and we already have him, and he wants to come and play for us that should be cast in iron. No fucking around trying to save money at the expense of the team again. If we want Balotelli then ask the price and pay it. Simple.

Power n Glory
20-06-2014, 11:06 AM
We’ll probably end up signing Mandzukic and bringing back Joel Campbell. That’s the cheap and cheerful option.

Campbell has potential but we crap potential around Arsenal. We either cough up the money or set up some sort of loan/buy back option for Campbell. I wouldn’t want us to walk away from a priority signing just to make way for Campbell. That doesn’t make sense consider we have Ox, Walcott and Gnarby. Campbell would have to be a clear world class star with his name on the first team sheet before I’d comfortably say we should walk away.

Good thing we’ll get to see more of both player later today. But we need to moving a lot quicker and decide on what we’re doing. I just have a feeling Wenger will want to see how we do in pre season training before making major moves.

Syn
20-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Not sure about Campbell. If he's so good why did Fergie buy Veron? Seems like a younger Podolski which is no bad thing but you could probably get a few raw talents like that from somewhere. Balotelli's potential is something that you can't find. Goes without saying that we should get both, but for the hypothetical situation of one or the other, gotta be the mentalist

selassie
20-06-2014, 12:24 PM
We’ll probably end up signing Mandzukic and bringing back Joel Campbell. That’s the cheap and cheerful option.

Campbell has potential but we crap potential around Arsenal. We either cough up the money or set up some sort of loan/buy back option for Campbell. I wouldn’t want us to walk away from a priority signing just to make way for Campbell. That doesn’t make sense consider we have Ox, Walcott and Gnarby. Campbell would have to be a clear world class star with his name on the first team sheet before I’d comfortably say we should walk away.

Good thing we’ll get to see more of both player later today. But we need to moving a lot quicker and decide on what we’re doing. I just have a feeling Wenger will want to see how we do in pre season training before making major moves.

:gp:

Yep, totally agree with this.

Master Splinter
20-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Not sure about Campbell. If he's so good why did Fergie buy Veron?

:haha:

Also, safe to say we should go Bartoli or go home.

milla
20-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Not sure about Campbell. If he's so good why did Fergie buy Veron? Seems like a younger Podolski which is no bad thing but you could probably get a few raw talents like that from somewhere. Balotelli's potential is something that you can't find. Goes without saying that we should get both, but for the hypothetical situation of one or the other, gotta be the mentalist

Not entirely sold with Campbell. In terms of experience and talents, Balotelli >>> Campbell anytime. :coffee:

I am invisible
20-06-2014, 01:28 PM
I haven't seen enough of Campbell to have formed a really strong opinion about him yet, but on the few occasions I have seen him, he has looked like he's got something about him?

I just don't see why it needs to be a one-or-the-other choice though? We have the money to buy Balotelli outright, and we don't need to sell Campbell - AC migtht have asked for him to be included in the deal, but that doesn't mean we have to agree to it. I'm sure if we said no, they'd be happy enough with the big pile of money instead - that's what they'd be looking at from most other clubs they try to sell to, so it's not really a huge setback for them. I think they're just trying their luck here (assuming there's any truth to it).

I also don't think that keeping Campbell would leave us too overloaded in the wide areas? In fact, I would go as far as to say that I think we could recall Campbell AND sign a big name wide-attacker, like a Sanchez or a Reus, and that would leave us just about right in terms of numbers and the balance between youth and experience:

- Gnabry is still very young, and I think he'd probably benefit more from going out on loan than Campbell would (again)

- Oxlade-Chamberlain fills in everywhere, not just out wide, and will probably me moved central sooner rather than later (maybe even immediately if the stories about Cazorla going back to Spain are to be believed)

- and Walcott is fairly injury prone, and will already miss the first few months of the season (and probably then struggle for match fitness for weeks/months after he's back)

(I know there's also Podolski, but I really don't know where he fits in at the moment? His goal return is fantastic for the minutes he gets, but I'm not sure he offers enough to be considered a genuine wide-man? I'd consider him to be more of a utility man, who can fill in anywhere across the entire front line, but even he might fancy a move back to Germany, if some of the rumours are right?)

So, playing fantasy football for a second, if we bring Campbell back AND make another big-name signing in the wide areas, I'd be looking at something like this as our wide options...

[Johnny Big-Name]
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Campbell

...with Gnabry as an additional option, who we can either send out on loan for the experience if he's not needed just yet, or who we could keep, and include as part of our wide options in the event that we either don't make that additional big-name signing that I'm hoping for, or we decide to move Chamberlain into the centre. But whatever happens, we're basically looking at 4 decent options for 2 positions here - 2 more experienced players, and 2 younger ones - and I think is about right for a long season at the highest level (especially when you factor in international matches too). And in terms of effective rotation (which is ultimately the point of this), I'd be happy to split the games more or less equally between those guys all season, which would hopefully keep everyone fresh and happy...

I am invisible
20-06-2014, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't actually be unhappy with Mandzukic IF we beefed up the wide options too - having a second, sharper version of Giroud could work well for us, if we were packed out with enough pace and goals all around them. That kind of set-up hasn't exactly done Munich any harm these last couple of years...

Power n Glory
20-06-2014, 02:53 PM
I haven't seen enough of Campbell to have formed a really strong opinion about him yet, but on the few occasions I have seen, he has looked like he has something about him?

I just don't see why it needs to be a one-or-the-other choice though? We have the money to buy Balotelli outright, and we don't need to sell Campbell - AC migtht have asked for him to be included in the deal, but that doesn't mean we have to agree to it. I'm sure if we said no, they'd be happy enough with the big pile of money instead - that's what they'd be looking at from most other clubs they tried to sell to, so it's not really a huge setback for them. I think they're just trying their luck here (assuming there's any truth to it).

I also don't think that keeping Campbell would leave us too overloaded in the wide areas? In fact, I would go as far as to say that I think we could recall Campbell AND sign a big name wide-attacker, like a Sanchez or a Reus, and that would leave us just about right in terms of numbers and the balance between youth and experience:

- Gnabry is still very young, and I think he'd probably benefit more from going out on loan than Campbell would (again)

- Oxlade-Chamberlain fills in everywhere, not just out wide, and will probably me moved central sooner rather than later (maybe even immediately if the stories about Cazorla going back to Spain are to be believed)

- and Walcott is fairly injury prone, and will already miss the first few months of the season (and probably then struggle for match fitness for weeks/months after he's back)

(I know there's also Podolski, but I really don't know where he fits in at the moment? His goal return is fantastic for the minutes he gets, but I'm not sure he offers enough to be considered a genuine wide-man? I'd consider him to be more of a utility man, who can fill in anywhere across the entire front line, but even he might fancy a move back to Germany, if some of the rumours are right?)

So, playing fantasy football for a second, if we bring Campbell back AND make another big-name signing in the wide areas, I'd be looking at something like this as our wide options...

[Johnny Big-Name]
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Campbell

...with Gnabry as an additional option, who we can either send out on loan for the experience if he's not needed just yet, or who we could keep, and include as part of our wide options in the event that we either don't make that additional big-name signing that I'm hoping for, or we decide to move Chamberlain into the centre. But whatever happens, we're basically looking at 4 decent options for 2 positions here - 2 more experienced players, and 2 younger ones - and I think is about right for a long season at the highest level (especially when you factor in international matches too). And in terms of effective rotation (which is ultimately the point of this), I'd be happy to split the games more or less equally between those guys all season, which would hopefully keep everyone fresh and happy...

Yes, I agree, keeping both makes sense and if we have to send them some extra money to do that then fine. We made £8m off that Vela clause. It shouldn't be a problem.

But I disagree with anyone that says it's a deal breaker if we have to throw in Joel. That's if Milan are being absolute dicks about the deal.

I am invisible
20-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, I agree, keeping both makes sense and if we have to send them some extra money to do that then fine. We made £8m off that Vela clause. It shouldn't be a problem.

But I disagree with anyone that says it's a deal breaker if we have to throw in Joel. That's if Milan are being absolute dicks about the deal.

Yeah, I can't see it being a deal breaker - I reckon they're just trying their luck. From what I've read, it looks like they're having to sell because they had a shit season, missed out on the CL, and now need to slash their wage bill and bring in cash - if that's true, then they should be more than happy with just the cash if we say no to Campbell...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Balotelli shite the other night.

What an awful decision it would be to invest all that money in him.

I am invisible
22-06-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't think it told us anything about him that we didn't already know - potentially fantastic player, but one moment he's up and the next he's down. Sorting that out was always going to be part of the deal, and it's not something we're going to see miraculously change before our eyes while he's playing for Italy - it's something that we'd have to do ourselves, IF we signed him.

At least he had a decent game in his first match (which is more than some big names have done so far this tournament), and, to be fair, I didn't think he was any worse than most of the Italian side against Costa Rica, who all looked like they'd been thoroughly outfought and outplayed by a side who wanted it more. I also don't think he's a particularly good fit for the way the Italians play in general? They tend to knock it around the back, very cautiously and patiently, and he cuts a pretty isolated figure up front on his own for long spells - if you put him in a more direct side like Germany, who get a lot of men forward quickly, I reckon you'd see a lot more from him...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-06-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't think it told us anything about him that we didn't already know - potentially fantastic player, but one moment he's up and the next he's down. Sorting that out was always going to be part of the deal, and it's not something we're going to see miraculously change before our eyes while he's playing for Italy - it's something that we'd have to do ourselves, IF we signed him.

At least he had a decent game in his first match (which is more than some big names have done so far this tournament), and, to be fair, I didn't think he was any worse than most of the Italian side against Costa Rica, who all looked like they'd been thoroughly outfought and outplayed by a side who wanted it more. I also don't think he's a particularly good fit for the way the Italians play in general? They tend to knock it around the back, very cautiously and patiently, and he cuts a pretty isolated figure up front on his own for long spells - if you put him in a more direct side like Germany, who get a lot of men forward quickly, I reckon you'd see a lot more from him...

We won't.
Mancini won't.
Mourinho won't.
Ancelotti won't.
De Boer won't.
Hoddle won't.
Dot Cotton won't.

No-one will. He is a nutcase.

Forget it.

selassie
23-06-2014, 10:30 AM
We won't.
Mancini won't.
Mourinho won't.
Ancelotti won't.
De Boer won't.
Hoddle won't.
Dot Cotton won't.

No-one will. He is a nutcase.

Forget it.

I'd rather Balo than Loic Remy or presumably nobody....

Xhaka Can’t
23-06-2014, 06:54 PM
There can be no more a damning statement of our transfer policy than the desire of some of our fans actually anticipating and wishing for a signing of the likes of Balotelli. It is simply desperation for something - anything even though if it happens, it is odds on to end in complete disaster and acrimony.

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2014, 07:51 PM
There can be no more a damning statement of our transfer policy than the desire of some of our fans actually anticipating and wishing for a signing of the likes of Balotelli. It is simply desperation for something - anything even though if it happens, it is odds on to end in complete disaster and acrimony.

It's like stepping in front of a bus and thinking not only will you survive but it's gong to be fun.

Injury Time
23-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Shhh Arsene knows...

Injury Time
23-06-2014, 08:07 PM
...how to sell shirts:arry:

Power n Glory
23-06-2014, 09:08 PM

I wouldn't say it's desperation in his case. I can't think of many top draw strikers that are bulit physically like him, yet quick and athletic and also have the finesse and skill. He's also very young and won't come with a crazy price tag with what we've seen from Falcoa, Cavani and Costa. It's just a case of whether he's matured and from what I've heard about him at Milan, he's maturing. It's a massive risk, though. But it could be worth it.

Clamouring for Remy and Campbell seems more desperate to me. Both have talent but because of their size, I can't see Wenger playing them as out and out strikers and I don't think they're creative enough to do serious damage on the wings.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Post of the year tbh

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-06-2014, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't say it's desperation in his case. I can't think of many top draw strikers that are bulit physically like him, yet quick and athletic and also have the finesse and skill. He's also very young and won't come with a crazy price tag with what we've seen from Falcoa, Cavani and Costa. It's just a case of whether he's matured and from what I've heard about him at Milan, he's maturing. It's a massive risk, though. But it could be worth it.

Clamouring for Remy and Campbell seems more desperate to me. Both have talent but because of their size, I can't see Wenger playing them as out and out strikers and I don't think they're creative enough to do serious damage on the wings.

Yay or nay on Balotelli, there are desperately few options in regards to world class players out there....we can all agree on that! Not that Balotelli is world class...yet, but he has the potential to be.

I don't think Costa's price tag was crazy at all considering what he has done and has achieved. That said, as mentioned above, there are very few inexpensive options and Costa has already moved to Chelsea which was akin to predicting night following day.

Any world class player at a petrodollar club don't have to sell and can easily set a price we won't match like 50 mill+ and Real and Barca will do the same despite the lack of the benevolent benefactor.

Even if we were willing to pay 50/60 million on let's say, a Cavani (who is a little shirty about sharing the earth with his royal highness Zlatan) I bet a lot of us on here don't think he is worth it. The same probably goes for a few players of his ilk....

selassie
23-06-2014, 11:08 PM

Who would you like us to sign?

Syn
23-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Yes, would also like to hear better alternatives to Balotelli, bearing in mind we're obviously not going to sign Suarez or Cavani.

Xhaka Can’t
23-06-2014, 11:28 PM
A better alternative to Balotelli?

Nobody.

Power n Glory
24-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Yay or nay on Balotelli, there are desperately few options in regards to world class players out there....we can all agree on that! Not that Balotelli is world class...yet, but he has the potential to be.

I don't think Costa's price tag was crazy at all considering what he has done and has achieved. That said, as mentioned above, there are very few inexpensive options and Costa has already moved to Chelsea which was akin to predicting night following day.

Any world class player at a petrodollar club don't have to sell and can easily set a price we won't match like 50 mill+ and Real and Barca will do the same despite the lack of the benevolent benefactor.

Even if we were willing to pay 50/60 million on let's say, a Cavani (who is a little shirty about sharing the earth with his royal highness Zlatan) I bet a lot of us on here don't think he is worth it. The same probably goes for a few players of his ilk....

£50m is a lot of money for Diego Costa and I'm still not convinced by him. He looks very clumsy and more of a battering ram sort of player. I think he'll suit Chelsea's direct style but not our short passing style. I just don't think he's technical enough or the type that can craft a goal for himself when the service is lacking. He doesn't look sharp enough but time will tell. He's not an option for us either way.

But you're right. There aren't many options out there. Benzema is the only other striker rumored to be leaving his club and I think Real will try to use him to get Suarez. It's very slim.

Fist of Lehmann
24-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Was chatting to a City fan yesterday. He describes Balotelli as "a bit of a cancer".
He also was pretty unequivocal in asserting Wenger would not be able to change him.

Maybe he has matured, but remember this is the guy who set fire to his own home through lighting fireworks in his bathroom.
That's not just immaturity, that's borderline retarded - the kind of world class stupidity that deserves to get you killed.

Wanting this guy is understandable, we're starved of grade A talent and beggars can't be choosers.
The question you have to ask yourself is: how much cancer is ok?

Niall_Quinn
24-06-2014, 12:41 AM
We're looking for a quality striker that's going to stick around and help move the club up. Apart from Bendtner and Tevez who are on par, there can't be a more unsuitable striker out there than Balotelli. A guy with bags of talent who has done nothing with it, why do we need that and how does it help us? Why would we even take the risk of signing a player that we had to change or have to help along with maturity issues? This is a professional sport drenched in cash, we expect players to bring solutions not problems surely?

If we're splashing the cash then there are a few other possibilities. Mandzukic, though I hope we don't go that route. Benzema, if he can be prised away from Madrid in their usual summer circus routine, Remy would do as a reserve, not top drawer yet but who knows? Campbell, same thing, certainly more potential than Sanogo. I think Wenger sees Giroud as #1 anyway, so maybe Remy and Campbell are all we can expect. Which would leave the money for Pogba. That's who we should be chasing, the player we've been missing for 10 years. Pogba, Remy, Campbell, real damn shame Fabregas is not on that list. I wonder if that scrote Muller could be tempted? Cheap and cheerful replacements for Sagna, Tommy and Flappy, which is likely all we'll get. We really do need about six players, so only one of them will be big ticket at best. Be a damn shame if that turns out to be Balotelli, a player who is hot and cold and probably won't be here beyond a season.

Grebbo
24-06-2014, 04:22 AM
Tbh I really can't get excited about signing Balotelli. I really don't see what the fuss is about with him.

I'd rather stick with Giroud and bring back Campbell and spend our money on someone like Alexis Sanchez and an Arteta replacement.

Grebbo
24-06-2014, 04:28 AM
Was chatting to a City fan yesterday. He describes Balotelli as "a bit of a cancer".
He also was pretty unequivocal in asserting Wenger would not be able to change him.

Maybe he has matured, but remember this is the guy who set fire to his own home through lighting fireworks in his bathroom.
That's not just immaturity, that's borderline retarded - the kind of world class stupidity that deserves to get you killed.

Wanting this guy is understandable, we're starved of grade A talent and beggars can't be choosers.
The question you have to ask yourself is: how much cancer is ok?

I'm not sure I'm too interested in Man City fans opinions of Balotelli. He had Aguero and Tezez in front of him, who'd just stuck two fingers up to Man U so was a real hero for City fans. Off field problems just seem like a young twat with money tbh. I don't see a big deal in setting off a firework out of the window of your rented home tbh.

More of a concern would be why City sold him. Surely they'd have just left him in the reserves if they thought he had the potential to become world class one day? Why sell him? Sure, Mancini had a problem with him but the hierarchy must have known that Mancini wasn't going to be their long term manager.

I am invisible
24-06-2014, 10:09 AM
There's probably some truth to that, but I wouldn't describe it as desperation - more a case of recognising that none of the CFs that we've been linked with so far have been ideal, so we might have to make our peace with one of them? With Balotelli, he has the talent, but it means accepting that he's unstable and that we'd have work to do in getting his head right? With Mandzukic, he has the right attitude on the pitch, but he's not a huge upgrade on Giroud, and may not be the player to win us the big games. With Remy, he's cheap and had PL experience, but I'm not convinced he's a CF, or good enough to really take us to the next level - in fact I'm not even sure he'd make the team ahead of Walcott? Other than that, pickings have been pretty slim.

Anyway, just because we're seriously talking about Balotelli here, doesn't mean we can't seriously discuss other options too. I'm more than happy to shelve talk of Balotelli if/when we're seriously linked with someone better...

Power n Glory
24-06-2014, 10:42 AM
What's the possibility of us getting Benzema with Falcao on the move to Madrid?

He's another player with potential but still a bit hit and miss with the fans. I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
24-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Fans moan about Giroud being inconsistent then want Balotelli here who is just as bad :haha:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
24-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Who would you like us to sign?

Err there's this little thing called bidding and negotiating.

And for £35m or whatever ridiculous price we're apparently willing to pay for him, there's a hell a lot of clubs that would be willing to sell.

Niall_Quinn
24-06-2014, 11:24 AM

He's another player with potential but still a bit hit and miss with the fans. I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

Slim. Other clubs with money will want him which means we'd have to play the bidding game and when was the last time we won or even competed in that? Two things in our favour though, Wenger and Ozil, maybe Benzema would like the idea of working with Wenger and hooking up with Ozil again. Maybe another plus is getting shot of Ronaldo, nobody else can realise their full potential when they are on the pitch with that bloke, it's all about him and how others can serve him. But still, it would be the money.

Slowly I'm coming around to the idea that Giroud plus Remy and Campbell might not be a disaster. I really like the look of Remy, there's something about the way he plays. I think there's huge potential to be unlocked and Arsenal might be the ideal place to do it. Campbell as well, he's raw but he frightens defenders and is up for a fight. He could hit the ground running in the PL. You then have three decent enough strikers and the hope that at least one of them would be on form at any given time, provided all three aren't injured for the entire season of course. Which could happen with any big name player we bring in, splash all the cash on one player then after two weeks watch him sit it out on the sidelines long term. It would be us to a tee. Spreading the risk and getting more bodies in might be the more sensible way to go.

That would leave money in the kitty for Pogba. Really, if we don't at least try for him then we are wasting our time. He's a monster and a talented one at that. I think we need a player like that more than we need a top striker, in fact we've needed a player like that for years. Never replaced Vieria and we changed our whole game based on that loss. If we put power and talent back into the centre and unleash the likes of Walcott, Ox, Remy and Campbell up top with Ozil and Cazorla providing the art work I think that's pretty potent.

Then get some cover in for Ches and the two lads in the middle, get the business done with a replacement for that traitorous cunt Sagna and we have a solid defence too.

Point is, there might be another way to go than signing the £50mill category striker.

I am invisible
24-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Benzema would be a great signing for us, but at the moment all this talk of Falcao joining Madrid just seems like a very, very new idea that someone has tossed out there? Then again, it sounds like contract negotiations are going nowhere between Benzema and Madrid, and he'll be able to walk on a free next summer if it doesn't get sorted? Then there were those comments that Wenger made about Benzema maybe having played his last game for Madrid after the CL final, so maybe he's heard something (or maybe even been told something)? Who knows.

My only fear would be another potential Higuaín-Suarez disaster in the making, if we abandon other targets because we think there's a chance of getting Benzema, and then end up with no one when he decides to stay put or move somewhere else? I guess that's just transfer business for you though...

Fist of Lehmann
24-06-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't see a big deal in setting off a firework out of the window of your rented home tbh

So the danger posed to you, your possessions ("The striker is said to have been reluctant to leave his belongings and, at one point, to have run back inside to recover a quantity of money and a suitcase") and not to mention the fire service is actually negates the stupidity if the property is rented?

People sometimes ask me why I don't rent out property, fucks like this is why.

Power n Glory
24-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Slim. Other clubs with money will want him which means we'd have to play the bidding game and when was the last time we won or even competed in that? Two things in our favour though, Wenger and Ozil, maybe Benzema would like the idea of working with Wenger and hooking up with Ozil again. Maybe another plus is getting shot of Ronaldo, nobody else can realise their full potential when they are on the pitch with that bloke, it's all about him and how others can serve him. But still, it would be the money.

Slowly I'm coming around to the idea that Giroud plus Remy and Campbell might not be a disaster. I really like the look of Remy, there's something about the way he plays. I think there's huge potential to be unlocked and Arsenal might be the ideal place to do it. Campbell as well, he's raw but he frightens defenders and is up for a fight. He could hit the ground running in the PL. You then have three decent enough strikers and the hope that at least one of them would be on form at any given time, provided all three aren't injured for the entire season of course. Which could happen with any big name player we bring in, splash all the cash on one player then after two weeks watch him sit it out on the sidelines long term. It would be us to a tee. Spreading the risk and getting more bodies in might be the more sensible way to go.

That would leave money in the kitty for Pogba. Really, if we don't at least try for him then we are wasting our time. He's a monster and a talented one at that. I think we need a player like that more than we need a top striker, in fact we've needed a player like that for years. Never replaced Vieria and we changed our whole game based on that loss. If we put power and talent back into the centre and unleash the likes of Walcott, Ox, Remy and Campbell up top with Ozil and Cazorla providing the art work I think that's pretty potent.

Then get some cover in for Ches and the two lads in the middle, get the business done with a replacement for that traitorous cunt Sagna and we have a solid defence too.

Point is, there might be another way to go than signing the £50mill category striker.

We have Diaby. Forget Pogba.

In all seriousness, it would be great if we brought him in but I doubt it will happen because I can’t see Wenger bringing in another central midfield player. As for Remy and Campbell playing alongside Giroud, I can’t confidently say they’d offer more than what we currently get out of Podolski/Walcott/OX. I don’t think they’ll be enough to make a huge difference.

I am invisible
24-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Absolutely there's other ways to approach this - I've actually suggested something like this myself several times in other threads (i.e. sticking with Giroud, or a Giroud-like player, and concentrating and beefing up our wide attacking options instead). Basically we're talking about taking what was working well for us up until Christmas when we were top (or what we should have had, if Walcott had played more), and doubling up on similar options so we don't run out of steam and fall away again. I actually liked the balance we had at that point, so I could see that working well.

Where my thinking would differ slightly from yours is that I still think we'd need to sign another strong CF to rotate with Giroud, and that's on top of signing the wide forward and bringing Campbell back. And, if we're getting a more functional CF instead of someone crazy-expensive, then I'd want us to push the boat out on a better wide forward than Remy - someone like a Sanchez would really make that kind of setup purr IMO.

I know that added investment would cut into your Pogba fund, but I just don't see that one happening. Not yet anyway. Maybe that's one to tackle next summer, when we have less to do, and can chuck our entire budget at it?

The Emirates Gallactico
24-06-2014, 06:23 PM
After a decent first game at the WC he's been poor. Subbed of at HT today.

Anyone's opinions changed?

Niall_Quinn
24-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Nope. Didn't want him here anyway.

I am invisible
24-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Well, my opinion hasn't exactly got any better, but, as I said before, we already knew all about his up and down performances before the WC, so this hasn't really changed much - it was always going to be about raw attributes, and whether we think we can get more out of him than other clubs.

The way I see it, if we bid for him, then I'd like to think it's because we've been looking at him for a long time before the WC, and we have a plan for him (which obviously involves trusting that Wenger knows what he's doing). And if we don't bid for him then, again, I'd like to think that it's because we ruled it out a long time ago, and aren't just making decisions based on what we're seeing at the WC.

Zerlathon
24-06-2014, 07:11 PM
World Cup doesn't really do much for me in terms of judging ability. At the end of the day, he'll be playing with a completely different group of Players at his Club.

I still believe he's a good shout and well worth the money if we can get for ~ £25m.

Xhaka Can’t
24-06-2014, 07:33 PM
I honestly will be pretty devastated if he is our striker signing. He's a name for sure, but mainly for the wrong reasons. Many players have skill and potential - he has bucketloads. But he is nuts - him getting what would have been a suspension had Italy progressed cannot have been a surprise for anyone.

He wore a t-shirt lamenting 'why me'? The answer is because he is a fucking moron.

Maestro
24-06-2014, 07:39 PM
he is a fucking moron.

period

fakeyank
24-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Frankly speaking, I dont understand the fuss around him. He is no Suarez, Sturridge, Benzema, Aguero or Dzeko. If we can get him for 10-15 million quid, I am ok with it... otherwise I'd rather we go for Remy over him.

Gooner23
24-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Frankly speaking, I dont understand the fuss around him. He is no Suarez, Sturridge, Benzema, Aguero or Dzeko. If we can get him for 10-15 million quid, I am ok with it... otherwise I'd rather we go for Remy over him.

I agree, he's massively over rated and Remy would be a better shout if we're not going for a superstar.

Benzema would be the one for me though, if he's available of course. I think Wenger could bring him on to Henry-esque levels.

GP
24-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Y'all are just Balo-Jelly.

selassie
24-06-2014, 09:41 PM
A better alternative to Balotelli?

Nobody.

Forget about Balotelli, who would you like us to sign?

selassie
24-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Err there's this little thing called bidding and negotiating.

And for £35m or whatever ridiculous price we're apparently willing to pay for him, there's a hell a lot of clubs that would be willing to sell.

Sure....

So for 35m who do you think would be a good signing?

Xhaka Can’t
24-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Forget about Balotelli, who would you like us to sign?

In the current climate, Giroud, Campbell and possibly Benzema or someone of that calibre. Heck there are strikers in weaker PL teams that could prosper here. How much the Club is willing to expend on our striking situation is a mystery to me - but they have the scouts and the resources - if they come up with Balotelli that is worrying to me.

And I am focussing on Balotelli here because he is the topic of the thread. If the worst scenario presents itself and it is Balotelli or nothing, I'll opt for the latter and this world cup has if anything reinforced my thoughts on him.

selassie
24-06-2014, 10:04 PM
In the current climate, Giroud, Campbell and possibly Benzema or someone of that calibre. Heck there are strikers in weaker PL teams that could prosper here. How much the Club is willing to expend on our striking situation is a mystery to me - but they have the scouts and the resources - if they come up with Balotelli that is worrying to me.

And I am focussing on Balotelli here because he is the topic of the thread. If the worst scenario presents itself and it is Balotelli or nothing, I'll opt for the latter and this world cup has if anything reinforced my thoughts on him.

Fair enough, so essentially you don't think Balotelli is any better than Giroud. I have concerns over Balotelli's temperament, who doesn't? But he has a lot of ability and a lot of scope for improving, that's why I suspect others on here wouldn't mind us signing him. Balotelli would deliver immediately IMO or at the very least match Giroud's stats.

As an alternative Benzema is a good player and would be a good signing, whether he would be any better than Balotelli is open to debate, Benzema as it stands isn't available so it's really a mute point.

If we stick with what we currently have we are going nowhere, Giroud has done his auditions as first choice and isn't good enough. He will keep us ticking over but he doesn't have the quality to take us up another level. I don't think it's a case of Balotelli or nothing, more a case of someone of his ability being amongst the best for the price we are willing to pay and the player actually being available. I mean it's not like we are going to cherry pick stars of our CL rivals...

Xhaka Can’t
24-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Fair enough, so essentially you don't think Balotelli is any better than Giroud. I have concerns over Balotelli's temperament, who doesn't? But he has a lot of ability and a lot of scope for improving, that's why I suspect others on here wouldn't mind us signing him. Balotelli would deliver immediately IMO or at the very least match Giroud's stats.

As an alternative Benzema is a good player and would be a good signing, whether he would be any better than Balotelli is open to debate, Benzema as it stands isn't available so it's really a mute point.

If we stick with what we currently have we are going nowhere, Giroud has done his auditions as first choice and isn't good enough. He will keep us ticking over but he doesn't have the quality to take us up another level. I don't think it's a case of Balotelli or nothing, more a case of someone of his ability being amongst the best for the price we are willing to pay and the player actually being available. I mean it's not like we are going to cherry pick stars of our CL rivals...

I know what Balotelli is capable of, but I'm confident he won't deliver. Give me someone good who we know we can rely on to deliver to their potential most games so we know what to expect over a player who has the potential to be brilliant yet will only apply themselves to produce glimpses of their brilliance and probably only when you're already 3-0 up. That is what we'll get with Balotelli, so no thanks.

I honestly believe we'd be better off getting acceptable depth in the striker position, rather than playing the same workhorses into the ground and when they are out of form. If we have acceptable depth - we could add another 15-20 goals without relying on a superstar (which Balotelli aint) signing.

Injury Time
24-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Shhh Arsene knows...

...how to sell shirts:arry:
It's ON! July 10th new kit release PUMA and ArsKerching Wenger to make it happen $.$ :coffee:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-06-2014, 10:27 PM
£50m is a lot of money for Diego Costa and I'm still not convinced by him. He looks very clumsy and more of a battering ram sort of player. I think he'll suit Chelsea's direct style but not our short passing style. I just don't think he's technical enough or the type that can craft a goal for himself when the service is lacking. He doesn't look sharp enough but time will tell. He's not an option for us either way.

But you're right. There aren't many options out there. Benzema is the only other striker rumored to be leaving his club and I think Real will try to use him to get Suarez. It's very slim.
50 million? Where did that figure come from? I thought it was 32 million odd? Or are you doing the accountants thing of adding the wages in to it over the contract length? :d

I'd throw the sink at Falcao is he wasn't on the third party malarkey train....

Of course not everyone will even think Balotelli is that talented though. Some people think Wilshere is a water carrier! I just hope that whatever Wenger does, it is concerted, intentional and ideally planned.

No getting two fingers from the specialist in being an eejiot on the last day of the window by trying to sign Demba Ba.

I agree that a top forward a shade or two below the upper echelons of world class would suffice with an astute signing in a wide position. I'm quite looking forward to seeing Joe Campbell for us..... Not just because of his ability but because he looks like he has the physicality to not have that ability disappear up his arse, the moment we play an away game North of Watford.

I am invisible
25-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Good news for the 'no to Balotelli' camp - Wenger has apparently told some TV show he was appearing on that the stories about us signing him are pure invention, and there's absolutely no truth behind any of it...

http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/arsene-wenger-tells-bein-sports-that-rumours-of-mario-balotelli-to-arsenal-is-pure-invention/

http://soccerlens.com/arsene-wenger-truth-behind-balotelli-rumours/142896/

Didn't want him anyway - fucking nutter!

Özim
25-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Good news for the 'no to Balotelli' camp - Wenger has apparently told some TV show he was appearing on that the stories about us signing him are pure invention, and there's absolutely no truth behind any of it...

http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/arsene-wenger-tells-bein-sports-that-rumours-of-mario-balotelli-to-arsenal-is-pure-invention/

http://soccerlens.com/arsene-wenger-truth-behind-balotelli-rumours/142896/

Didn't want him anyway - fucking nutter!

Makes sense, we're probably not even looking at the moment, when we finally do it will probably be someone very low key.

Power n Glory
25-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Mandzukic it is then.

Munchies
25-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Y'all are just Balo-Jelly.

:lol:

Seems like we're not getting him then, can't say I'm too fussed

Özim
25-06-2014, 09:03 AM
yeah and just because Sanogo didn't cost 50 million...

The Emirates Gallactico
25-06-2014, 09:22 AM
I know what Balotelli is capable of, but I'm confident he won't deliver. Give me someone good who we know we can rely on to deliver to their potential most games so we know what to expect over a player who has the potential to be brilliant yet will only apply themselves to produce glimpses of their brilliance and probably only when you're already 3-0 up. That is what we'll get with Balotelli, so no thanks.

I honestly believe we'd be better off getting acceptable depth in the striker position, rather than playing the same workhorses into the ground and when they are out of form. If we have acceptable depth - we could add another 15-20 goals without relying on a superstar (which Balotelli aint) signing.

I'm starting to come around to this view now as well. Mainly because there isn't really anyone easily identifiable and gettable out there and the more I think about it, the more the prospect of Ballotelli absolutely frightens me. He's not Suarez level quality to persist with that stupidity and poor attitude. He just gave up in the second half of the Costa Rica game and was equally as poor yesterday.

Giroud for all his faults (and we've identified them already on here) is still a top player and looked quality for France which shows you the benefit of giving the guy a break once in a while. Looking back, it's no real surprise that Giroud's poor form coincided not only with losing runners from midfield (Ramsey + Theo) but also after being exhausted after Wenger ran him into the ground by playing him for 90 mins week in week out because we had no backup.

Meh, I wouldn't be too devastated if Giroud was first choice next season as long as we brought in a world class quality wide player to supplement him such as a Sanchez or even a Greizemann. And also, as you say, in addition to bringing back Campbell we brought in decent solid cover for him just so Giroud can take a break once in a while. Ideally that would be a promising youngster, like Campbell, who had the potential to become special in a few years .... e.g. like that Drmic kid at Nurenberg (though he's signed for Bayer Leverkusen).

1) Giroud
2) <Similar level cover>
3) Campbell

Don't think Sanago should be even close to featuring for us yet.

Niall_Quinn
25-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Remy and Pogba - sign them now and they'll become legendary figures over the next 5 years. Balotelli, sign him and he'll be infamous within days.

Munchies
25-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Sanchez
Remy
Pogba/Schneiderlin

Joel Campbell is already better than Sanogo so there's an upgrade already.

I am invisible
25-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Bony looks useful every time I see him - I'd have him high on my list if we can't get someone like a Benzema. Would allow us to retain some of what we get from Giroud in terms of hold up play, but with some added pace, and maybe a bit more sharpness in the box.

Bony, Sanchez and Campbell, added to Giroud, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain (or Gnabry, if we move the Ox to the centre) - I'd be happy with any 3 out of those 6 for most games.

I am invisible
25-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Incidentally, whoever is in charge of fitness and conditioning for France has done a cracking job! I heard Benzema has dropped 14lbs for the tournament, and he looks fitter and faster than I've seen him for a long time, and even Giroud looks a lot lighter on his toes?!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Sure....

So for 35m who do you think would be a good signing?

Who do I think would be a good signing and attainable:

1. Remy – I think it was the first game of the WC (or a friendly match just before) where he played alongside Giroud drifting in from the wing and they looked absolutely sublime. Their coordination and understanding was incredible. We’ve all said that Giroud would work better alongside a smaller, more agile alternative and I seriously think this could be a devastating partnership.
2. Sanchez – I think he could be converted into a striker, and in fact, he reminds me a bit of Suarez. Very quick with his feet and unpredictable, he loves making those mazy runs to leave defenders in limbo. Apparently on his way out of Barca too. I think if you stumped up £30m they’d sell.
3. Benzema – if Falcao moves to Madrid then this guy would surely be up for grabs. Good player who gets a lot of unfair stick IMO.
4. Mandzukic – has he already gone? If not he’s another that could be bought for £20m-£25m.
5. Pedro – always rumours of him being available. I know he’s playing a lot more games than what he used to but if you went in with a £25m bid I’m almost certain Barca would sell.

There’s 5 forwards off the top of my head all of which would be available if Wenger decided to bid and negotiate. That doesn’t even encompass the far-reaching scouting network Wenger has at his disposal, covering countries like Argentina, Brazil, the whole of Africa, and ‘lesser’ leagues like the Belgian/Portuguese league. The list above is compiled by a guy sitting in an office in North London picking them off the top of his head. Wenger has a whole system behind him. That’s why I don’t quite get this idea that ‘no-one is available’, why is it always our club that makes excuses when it comes to transfers?

I bet you didn’t think that Man Utd were going to sign Mata in the January transfer window? No. But guess what, they did. It’s called bidding, unsettling players and negotiating.

selassie
25-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Who do I think would be a good signing and attainable:

1. Remy – I think it was the first game of the WC (or a friendly match just before) where he played alongside Giroud drifting in from the wing and they looked absolutely sublime. Their coordination and understanding was incredible. We’ve all said that Giroud would work better alongside a smaller, more agile alternative and I seriously think this could be a devastating partnership.
2. Sanchez – I think he could be converted into a striker, and in fact, he reminds me a bit of Suarez. Very quick with his feet and unpredictable, he loves making those mazy runs to leave defenders in limbo. Apparently on his way out of Barca too. I think if you stumped up £30m they’d sell.
3. Benzema – if Falcao moves to Madrid then this guy would surely be up for grabs. Good player who gets a lot of unfair stick IMO.
4. Mandzukic – has he already gone? If not he’s another that could be bought for £20m-£25m.
5. Pedro – always rumours of him being available. I know he’s playing a lot more games than what he used to but if you went in with a £25m bid I’m almost certain Barca would sell.

There’s 5 forwards off the top of my head all of which would be available if Wenger decided to bid and negotiate. That doesn’t even encompass the far-reaching scouting network Wenger has at his disposal, covering countries like Argentina, Brazil, the whole of Africa, and ‘lesser’ leagues like the Belgian/Portuguese league. The list above is compiled by a guy sitting in an office in North London picking them off the top of his head. Wenger has a whole system behind him. That’s why I don’t quite get this idea that ‘no-one is available’, why is it always our club that makes excuses when it comes to transfers?

I bet you didn’t think that Man Utd were going to sign Mata in the January transfer window? No. But guess what, they did. It’s called bidding, unsettling players and negotiating.

Out of that list I would like Sanchez or Benzema if they were available, I think both of them would improve our team, as in our starting XI.

The others? I don't think Pedro...who is not really a striker, Remy or Mandzukic would improve us one bit.

Pedro is like a more refined version of "Theo", though he would obviously need to adapt to PL...not sure he is what we need to improve, Remy would not improve our starting XI IMO, he is "Arsenal" squad player type standard. Mandzukic? Is he really any better than Giroud? What qualities does he offer that Giroud doesn't give us? Sure he is a marginally better finisher but I really don't see him giving the team this extra bit of quality.

I think each of those guys would represent very good to great rotation/squad players, but if we are to bridge the gap between 4th place to geniune challengers we need "REAL" quality.

I really suppose it depends what we need, if we actually need a bonafide world class player to upgrade the attack then I only think 2 of those 5 are sufficient, if we just need squaddies then we might aswell go for Remy or Bony.

Özim
25-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Let's not go into the converting someone into a striker debate, just buy a natural striker like everyone else does.

Benzema would be my choice out of that list, not convinced the others would give us what we need which is essentially goals.

Mandzukic, forget it he's dogshite.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Out of that list I would like Sanchez or Benzema if they were available, I think both of them would improve our team, as in our starting XI.

The others? I don't think Pedro...who is not really a striker, Remy or Mandzukic would improve us one bit.

Pedro is like a more refined version of "Theo", though he would obviously need to adapt to PL...not sure he is what we need to improve, Remy would not improve our starting XI IMO, he is "Arsenal" squad player type standard. Mandzukic? Is he really any better than Giroud? What qualities does he offer that Giroud doesn't give us? Sure he is a marginally better finisher but I really don't see him giving the team this extra bit of quality.

I think each of those guys would represent very good to great rotation/squad players, but if we are to bridge the gap between 4th place to geniune challengers we need "REAL" quality.

I really suppose it depends what we need, if we actually need a bonafide world class player to upgrade the attack then I only think 2 of those 5 are sufficient, if we just need squaddies then we might aswell go for Remy or Bony.

Maybe, but when Sturridge went to Liverpool a lot of people thought he would just be a 'rotation' type player yet he has become central to their team. I suppose it’s the risk you take. I know we should be going for world class players but sometimes a player might be an invaluable addition to the system you play. That’s what I think about someone like Remy. Sure he isn’t a big name but he’d improve us hugely IMO.

But anyway, the point is all of them named above would put their heads down and give it their all. We can’t say the same about Balotelli. If you look at training pictures you’ll see players doing stretches and warm ups yet Mario just sits there staring into the oblivion. That’s a lack of commitment and the last thing we need, after a failed youth project where we had nothing but uncommitted idiots at our club, is another uncommitted idiot at our club.

Sanchez and Benzema would come in and instantly improve the squad, I agree. Remy may take a month. Pedro might take half a season to fully convert into a striker and Mandzukic might be similar to Giroud, but if we bought them it would improve us and lead to greater depth.

We were top for half a season with Giroud up front. I really think those named above would help us sustain a longer run and even help us win it.

Power n Glory
25-06-2014, 12:59 PM
50 million? Where did that figure come from? I thought it was 32 million odd? Or are you doing the accountants thing of adding the wages in to it over the contract length? :d

I'd throw the sink at Falcao is he wasn't on the third party malarkey train....

Of course not everyone will even think Balotelli is that talented though. Some people think Wilshere is a water carrier! I just hope that whatever Wenger does, it is concerted, intentional and ideally planned.

No getting two fingers from the specialist in being an eejiot on the last day of the window by trying to sign Demba Ba.

I agree that a top forward a shade or two below the upper echelons of world class would suffice with an astute signing in a wide position. I'm quite looking forward to seeing Joe Campbell for us..... Not just because of his ability but because he looks like he has the physicality to not have that ability disappear up his arse, the moment we play an away game North of Watford.

Oh it's £32m! Saw headlines quoting £50m and that must be both contract and fee. That makes a world of difference. We should have snapped him up. :lol: In all seriousness, you know I don't rate the guy that much. I just think he could be having a great run. Reminds me too much of Adebayor.

But in general, I agree with your post and hope we have a plan. This needs to be a planned and well thought out summer. Our scouts should be paying close attention to certain attributes and think of what we're missing on the field. A big name would be great but there needs to be some thought behind our deals. I still can't understand why we'd buy Giroud and Pod but not play them as a duo. They'd compliment each other if combined together but lose a lot when their isolated. We need to be paying attention to how they're game will affect the rest of the team and how we're going to get the best out of them. I don't want us to spend another season saying we need players A and B in order for C and D to perform.

Munchies
25-06-2014, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XYQ6Gf8un7Q

Marc Overmars
25-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I think I've cooled my interest in Balotelli as well tbh. I mean ideally he ticks all the boxes for us (strong, athletic, quick etc) but he's guaranteed hassle and frankly I think he's a bit of a fairweather as well.

We have a lot of money to spend now but it needs to be spent wisely and not on uncalculated risks like Balotelli.

Penguin
25-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Thank. God.

Wenger :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
25-06-2014, 04:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XYQ6Gf8un7Q

My bro tells me apparently Arsene categorically denied Podolski in a similar fashion a few windows ago before signing him the next week, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that. He's hardly gong to admit it publicly if we were interested in him. What was more refreshing to see however was that Wenger seemed very in-line with the what we're saying on here and general consensus ......... "Balotelli hasn't been convincing" ..... I don't know why I'm surprised as he's clearly an intelligent guy but there was the worry his stubbornness may cause him not to acknowledge the obvious.

Also that chick in that video was giving Arsene the eyes there. I bet he gave her the D after the interview. ##

GP
25-06-2014, 05:00 PM
My bro tells me apparently Arsene categorically denied Podolski in a similar fashion a few windows ago before signing him the next week, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that. He's hardly gong to admit it publicly if we were interested in him. What was more refreshing to see however was that Wenger seemed very in-line with the what we're saying on here and general consensus ......... "Balotelli hasn't been convincing" ..... I don't know why I'm surprised as he's clearly an intelligent guy but there was the worry his stubbornness may cause him not to acknowledge the obvious.

Also that chick in that video was giving Arsene the eyes there. I bet he gave her the D after the interview. ##

He also claimed he'd never heard of Cazorla :lol:

Injury Time
25-06-2014, 07:20 PM
He also claimed he'd never heard of Cazorla :lol:
Tbf he was hard to spot hiding behind the bottle bank...

Grebbo
26-06-2014, 05:42 AM
Wenger is a world class WUM, we know that. The bit in the video that makes me think we're not in for Mario though is when Wenger said he hasn't done much in this WC. Ignore the transfer denials as Wenger says that about every player that we then go on to sign.

I really don't see Balotelli's qualities like some of you do. For me he's a £15-17m player and most of that is for his potential and due to lack of strikers/inflated market. He's nowhere near world class and he's not even as good as Giroud so the signing makes no sense to me. He'd annoy the fuck out of us if we signed him, moody, lazy, always offside etc

AFC Leveller
26-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Let's not go into the converting someone into a striker debate, just buy a natural striker like everyone else does.

Benzema would be my choice out of that list, not convinced the others would give us what we need which is essentially goals.

Mandzukic, forget it he's dogshite.

Mandzukic is not only shit but he is a class A ****.

Xhaka Can’t
26-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Mandzukic is not only shit but he is a class A ****.
ebayer?

Letters
26-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Drug?

I am invisible
26-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Mercedes-Benz?

GP
26-06-2014, 11:05 AM
cunt?

Kano
26-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Maybe, but when Sturridge went to Liverpool a lot of people thought he would just be a 'rotation' type player yet he has become central to their team. I suppose it’s the risk you take. I know we should be going for world class players but sometimes a player might be an invaluable addition to the system you play. That’s what I think about someone like Remy. Sure he isn’t a big name but he’d improve us hugely IMO.

But anyway, the point is all of them named above would put their heads down and give it their all. We can’t say the same about Balotelli. If you look at training pictures you’ll see players doing stretches and warm ups yet Mario just sits there staring into the oblivion. That’s a lack of commitment and the last thing we need, after a failed youth project where we had nothing but uncommitted idiots at our club, is another uncommitted idiot at our club.

Sanchez and Benzema would come in and instantly improve the squad, I agree. Remy may take a month. Pedro might take half a season to fully convert into a striker and Mandzukic might be similar to Giroud, but if we bought them it would improve us and lead to greater depth.

We were top for half a season with Giroud up front. I really think those named above would help us sustain a longer run and even help us win it.
I would be flabbergasted if we managed to land either Sanchez or Benzema. I wouldn't understand why either or them, pursued by clubs who will pay more and offer more silverware, will choose to come to us. Only if it's another last minute buy where they know they are surplus to requirements and nobody else has stumped up the money, like Ozil.

Pesto? Yes please. Extremely underrated but also seems to be thoroughly committed to Barca and Barca only. I would much prefer we buy a striker to play as a striker rather than converting and playing that game of Russian roulette. Remy would be a smart buy but he picks up too many injuries to be relied upon, we need him and another very good/excellent striker. Top four will be even harder next season - let's not kid on about the title with Wenger in charge - so we can't mess around on players who have to learn a position.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-06-2014, 11:16 PM
I would be flabbergasted if we managed to land either Sanchez or Benzema. I wouldn't understand why either or them, pursued by clubs who will pay more and offer more silverware, will choose to come to us. Only if it's another last minute buy where they know they are surplus to requirements and nobody else has stumped up the money, like Ozil.

Pesto? Yes please. Extremely underrated but also seems to be thoroughly committed to Barca and Barca only. I would much prefer we buy a striker to play as a striker rather than converting and playing that game of Russian roulette. Remy would be a smart buy but he picks up too many injuries to be relied upon, we need him and another very good/excellent striker. Top four will be even harder next season - let's not kid on about the title with Wenger in charge - so we can't mess around on players who have to learn a position.

Pesto :bow: