PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Captain

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2014, 01:17 PM
So Verma could be off.....and Arteta doesn't look certain first XI......could we see Ramsey being given another go after he didn't quite cut it for Wales?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Mertesacker.

Niall_Quinn
04-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Diaby - only way to get rid of him.

Marc Overmars
04-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Has to be Merts, the natural choice.

Niall_Quinn
04-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Has to be Merts, the natural choice.

So we want Merts sold to Utd next summer?

AFC Leveller
04-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Id give it to Merts, leader and a gooner from his early days (i know that dutch mug was too but Merts is a decent human being)

Letters
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah, Merts works for me. We don't have many obvious options.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Mertesacker is already the leader in this team by all accounts but from the little elastic C on his arm. Just make him captain. Though it is very possible we will still have both Arteta and Vermaelen at the season start....but it would be something of a disappointment if either of them were starting.

Syn
04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I'd hand it to Ramsey. Seems to be the type of player that thrives on extra responsibility. His if he has to give more interviews the media would probably want to kill themselves so that's an added bonus.

I am invisible
04-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Merts - sounds like he's already the unofficial captain anyway.

Özim
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Ramsey for me as well, has all the assets to be a leader, plus being in the middle of the park he can really get involved and lead by example.

Not convinced with Mertersacker's leadership qualities personnally.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-07-2014, 03:30 PM
All Ramsey can do is lead by example, with respect to him, so when he isn't, God help us. Not going to get in anyone's face or give them a dressing down. I know that isn't the 'in' thing any more but some players do need it some of the time.

Mertesacker didn't hesitate to blast Ozil which must have been an awkward thing to have to do (or maybe not so much for a German?).

Syn
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
All that captain stuff of mouthing off to the ref, leaving your studs in, picking fights etc., that'll all come if he's recognised as the team's leader. It hasn't been his job to do that so far. Fabregas was quiet in his first few seasons. If he is required to do that he will.

Also, sorry for being a racist scummer but I also think it's important for the skipper to be Welsh. They've got nothing else. Ashley Williams penned a new contract today so Ramsey's the only hope.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Fabregas was quiet until he became fluent in cockney rhyming cursing. :d

Injury Time
04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
I'd hand it to Ramsey. Seems to be the type of player that thrives on extra responsibility. His if he has to give more interviews the media would probably want to kill themselves so that's an added bonus.

No.

Xhaka Can’t
04-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Merts - it has to be.

GP
04-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Carl Jenkinson.

A Gunner
05-07-2014, 05:22 AM
BFG is good choice, but long term I think Ramsey / Wilshere. I don't think we have had a good captain since Tony Adams...

Özim
05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Ramsey is young so makes sense to make him Captain as he can grow into the role and captain the side for years, I think he's got the ability to inspire the team around him and make things happen when we need it.

There's different types of captains of course, but I think we need one who can take a game by the scruff of the neck, the responsibility will only make him a better player IMO.

The Emirates Gallactico
05-07-2014, 10:39 AM
BFG is good choice, but long term I think Ramsey / Wilshere. I don't think we have had a good captain since Tony Adams...

Wilshere's place in the team isn't even assured at this stage so it would not be a good idea to make him captain. And besides, he gets too overemotional and reckless at times himself which aren't good traits.

I feel the captaincy would burden Rambo and perhaps make him lose some focus from what he does best.

Mertesacker is the best choice right now but if we're looking for a long term option then Chesney could be the guy.

Injury Time
05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Wilshere's place in the team isn't even assured at this stage so it would not be a good idea to make him captain. And besides, he gets too overemotional and reckless at times himself which aren't good traits.

I feel the captaincy would burden Rambo and perhaps make him lose some focus from what he does best.

Mertesacker is the best choice right now but if we're looking for a long term option then Chesney could be the guy.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
No.

Heisenberg
05-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Mertesacker

Alpha
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
No argument about this one really .
It should have been and it will be Per Mertesacker . Everyone knows it and more importantly Arsene knows it .

I am invisible
05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Mertesacker has unofficially been doing the job for a while now (on and off the pitch), and it's worked well. Ramsey has been amazing all year just being Aaron Ramsey, with no added responsibility, and that's worked out pretty well for us too. Why start changing things around when we don't have to? Just give Per the armband and make it official, and let Ramsey carry on doing what he's doing...

Letters
05-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Vieira? We've not had a good once since then though.

The Emirates Gallactico
09-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Daily Mail claims that Wenger has decided on Arteta.

Pros

- Vastly experienced and well respected in the dressing room
- Rumours that Wenger wants to offer him a coaching role after he retires at the club so this would be good preparation/
- Already a vice captain

Cons

- Not guaranteed his spot in the team yet.
- May mean he's off to Barca or Man Utd next season (Pro for some people)

Injury Time
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Daily Mail claims that Wenger has decided on Arteta.

Pros

- Vastly experienced and well respected in the dressing room
- Rumours that Wenger wants to offer him a coaching role after he retires at the club so this would be good preparation/
- Already a vice captain

Cons

- Not guaranteed his spot in the team yet.
- May mean he's off to Barca or Man Utd next season (Pro for some people)

Con
- he will only be in the right place to shout at players once every 45mins. (even if on the pitch)

Özil's Panoramic View
09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
If he suffers similar fate to all our recent captains, then I'm all for it.

Master Splinter
09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
I absolutely hate Arteta, me.

He should stab himself.

GP
09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
He's literally worse than Hitler.

Özil's Panoramic View
09-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Give it a rest, you 'positive' wums. :lol:

LDG
09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Arteta is possibly the worst player in our revival. He wasn't captain all the time Vermaelen was out of the side last year. Or was he? ALL OF LAST YEAR.

:doh:

Master Splinter
10-08-2014, 04:50 PM
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/PUMA-launch-Arsenal-2014--487996.jpg

:bow:

Mertesacker vice-captain.

(Wenger has never really put much stock into the tradition of an all-conquering captain, so I doubt this gives us much insight into his role going forward. BFG will likely wear the armband just as much, if not more.)

Injury Time
10-08-2014, 05:02 PM
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/PUMA-launch-Arsenal-2014--487996.jpg

:bow:

Mertesacker vice-captain.

(Wenger has never really put much stock into the tradition of an all-conquering captain, so I doubt this gives us much insight into his role going forward. BFG will likely wear the armband just as much, if not more.)
Arteta farts in the face of his team mates...that's what that picture is meant to convey right? :unsure: