PDA

View Full Version : Sami Khedira

AKBapologist
11-07-2014, 09:13 AM
:coffee:

Not too keen on this one personally. Good player, but probably not as defensively minded as we need.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
11-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Yes please.

If you buy players like Sanchez and Khedira you will win trophies. It's as simple as that.

These are top class, experienced players who settle for nothing less than trophies.

If Wenger plans to turn Sanchez into a striker then there's no reason why he couldn't turn Khedira into one of the best DM's in the league.

A Gunner
11-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Then we'll have a German Spine!

Marc Overmars
11-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Hopefully Merts, Ozil and Poldi have done Wenget's work for him.

Power n Glory
11-07-2014, 10:15 AM
If we snapped this guy up we’d do some serious damage! Still a lot of time left in the window.

I am invisible
11-07-2014, 12:09 PM
I've also voiced some minor concerns that he maybe gets about the pitch a little more than we'd like to see from a defensive midfielder, but he has all the attributes needed to do the job to a very high standard, so I really don't think it would be a huge problem to rein him in a bit? To my mind, it would probably represent less of a transition than converting a winger to a striker (something we consider doing on a fairly regular basis), and we've already done something similar recently with Arteta, who had far less top-level experience in the DM role than Khedira's had...

Özil's Panoramic View
11-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Must Get!

Syn
11-07-2014, 02:10 PM
With his German football friends here I think if the club really want him, he'd take less convincing than Ozil or Sanchez. Would be happy with Khedira but think Schneiderlin and Bender are more defensive players which is a better fit for what is needed.

selassie
11-07-2014, 07:10 PM
If we sign Khedira we would be genuine pl title challengers & a good bet to go far in cl. Khedira, Ramsey & Ozil would be the best Midfield in pl & amongst the best in europe.

Munchies
11-07-2014, 11:29 PM
@StanCollymore 2m

Spoke to agent. Arsenal in advanced talks with Sami Khedira. Fuck me, they're getting serious.

https://twitter.com/StanCollymore/status/487739845197180929

:lol:

GP
11-07-2014, 11:34 PM
It's on!

Also, Collymore is a fucking penis.

Munchies
11-07-2014, 11:39 PM
It's on!

Also, Collymore is a fucking penis.

'he hit that harder than u hit Ulrika'
:haha:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-07-2014, 06:06 AM
So are we actually in talks with the bloke? It couldn't happen could it? Seems too good to be true to sign him AND Sanchez in one window!?

pakgunner
12-07-2014, 09:04 AM
His wage demand would make him the highest earner at Arsenal, would that be the right move? is he worth that much in wages? is he defensive enough for us? Perhaps someone like Bender or Sneiderlin would suit us better and give those wages to someone who deserves it.

Alpha
12-07-2014, 09:36 AM
From my own point of view , out of Khedira , Bender and Morgan Scheinderlin , the latter is the best bet . He is younger , best tackler , good passer and would need no time to acclimatise to EPL . He is the best defensive minded of the three . He might also be the cheaper and easier to get .
Kedhira is a top player but will need time to adjust . He will command a top wages( they talking about him being top earner at Arsenal if he signs ) which will not always be welcome by Sanchez , Ozil , walcott and Ramsey . why should a new guy get more money than everyone before even kicking the ball ?
Bender is also a good DM but will need time to adjust . His reluctance to join Arsenal after all these years Arsene has been after him show he is not really keen to swap his jersey maybe just for money .
We need players like Cabaye who went on strike just to join Arsenal even though his dream did not come tue .
Schneiderin will never say no to Wenger .

Unai Tea
12-07-2014, 10:04 AM
From my own point of view , out of Khedira , Bender and Morgan Scheinderlin , the latter is the best bet . He is younger , best tackler , good passer and would need no time to acclimatise to EPL . He is the best defensive minded of the three . He might also be the cheaper and easier to get .
Kedhira is a top player but will need time to adjust . He will command a top wages( they talking about him being top earner at Arsenal if he signs ) which will not always be welcome by Sanchez , Ozil , walcott and Ramsey . why should a new guy get more money than everyone before even kicking the ball ?
Bender is also a good DM but will need time to adjust . His reluctance to join Arsenal after all these years Arsene has been after him show he is not really keen to swap his jersey maybe just for money .
We need players like Cabaye who went on strike just to join Arsenal even though his dream did not come tue .

I agree. Would rather have Schneiderlin.

GP
12-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I'll be happy with any of them.

Alpha
12-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I'll be happy with any of them.

What is pretty sure is , by the time the league start , one of the three if not two , will be an Arsenal player.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Podolski signed here and became the top earner in spite of coming from Cologne, which made him the top earner. It is not unprecedented, did not exactly cause mutiny in the ranks and Podolski was hardly a firm first team player too.

It is more than possible that if Sami GENUINELY wants to leave Real, he has to seriously entertain commanding a more modest wage package. Particularly if he wants to stay in a top league, or elsewhere exactly is he going to go?

Cabaye is no more defensive than any name mentioned here. Southampton aren't going to let Morgan S leave easily as I'm sure they want to be left with a few decent players. They can't flog every decent player they have and have made it hard for Lovren to leave.

Niall_Quinn
12-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Daily Testicular Cancer reckons the chavs are after him now. If true I guess they'll match the wage demands and add a zero to the end, so that will be that. Apparently (again mainstream media shite so beware) Remy deal could be off because the bloke wants silly money.

Alpha
12-07-2014, 11:06 AM
The advantage of signing Khedira is he will bring out the best of Ozil and will change the mentality of setting for second best e.g fourth spot .

McNamara That Ghost...
12-07-2014, 11:21 AM
The best thing will be that we'd have signed more players than Real Madrid than they have from us.

Oh actually, forgot about Davor Suker. :lol:

Alpha
12-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Podolski signed here and became the top earner in spite of coming from Cologne, which made him the top earner. It is not unprecedented, did not exactly cause mutiny in the ranks and Podolski was hardly a firm first team player too.

It is more than possible that if Sami GENUINELY wants to leave Real, he has to seriously entertain commanding a more modest wage package. Particularly if he wants to stay in a top league, or elsewhere exactly is he going to go?

Cabaye is no more defensive than any name mentioned here. Southampton aren't going to let Morgan S leave easily as I'm sure they want to be left with a few decent players. They can't flog every decent player they have and have made it hard for Lovren to leave.
When Podolski came he was like a super player and we had no one in our squad to challenge his wages .
But now , we have players who deserve top wages and who could question that . I'm talking about Ramsey , Ozil , Walcott , Sanchez .Even BFG and Kos deserve more than what we give them .

I am invisible
12-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Not sure I'm buying the stories about Chelsea's interest in Khedira - all seems a bit obvious and lazy?

Regarding his wages, I suppose there's always the option of bunging him a fat signing on fee, and dropping his wages down to a less contentious level?

AFC Leveller
12-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Not sure I'm buying the stories about Chelsea's interest in Khedira - all seems a bit obvious and lazy?

Regarding his wages, I suppose there's always the option of bunging him a fat signing on fee, and dropping his wages down to a less contentious level?

They have Matic and Ramires who play DCM as well as other midfielders like Fabregas, Oscar, Mikel, Willian, Schurle etc so i really dont see how they need him. Plus he wouldnt leave Real Madrid to warm the bench and the fact that we can offer him first team football should swing it.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-07-2014, 04:01 PM
When Podolski came he was like a super player and we had no one in our squad to challenge his wages .
But now , we have players who deserve top wages and who could question that . I'm talking about Ramsey , Ozil , Walcott , Sanchez .Even BFG and Kos deserve more than what we give them .

He neither arrived as a world class player nor a player who was the best at the club. It could have easily be questioned by a few players and/or their agents and perhaps it was behind the scenes. He wasn't a definite first teamer then and isn't now.

Why should BFG get more than he is on? Isn't he on 90k a week or something like that? If Ramsey or Walcott came with the reputation of Khedira then they would have started their careers on high wages. As it was, the onus was towards us taking the risk on them as unproven players, rather than them on us and their pay packets reflected that.

If you want top players out of top clubs of course you're going to have to pay them high wages. Unless we think or expect Real to have a similar wage structure to us.

fakeyank
12-07-2014, 10:39 PM
If we get him, it will be the greatest transfer window in the history of Arsenal!

Alpha
13-07-2014, 08:42 AM
He neither arrived as a world class player nor a player who was the best at the club. It could have easily be questioned by a few players and/or their agents and perhaps it was behind the scenes. He wasn't a definite first teamer then and isn't now.

Why should BFG get more than he is on? Isn't he on 90k a week or something like that? If Ramsey or Walcott came with the reputation of Khedira then they would have started their careers on high wages. As it was, the onus was towards us taking the risk on them as unproven players, rather than them on us and their pay packets reflected that.

If you want top players out of top clubs of course you're going to have to pay them high wages. Unless we think or expect Real to have a similar wage structure to us.

I don't know how long you be watching Lucas for .He was one of the best in his time . The truth is his form has dramatically dropped . At just 19 he was the German main striker . He has scored 47 goals in 117 games for Germany . That is very impressive record .
You ask why BFG should get more money than his 90k? Well , most players of his quality playing for teams of Arsenal standard are on 100k . You will agree he is no Toure or Senderos or Cygan , won't you ?
Until now , ramsey is our most important player . He has matured in a potential world class and more importantly a game-changer . He deserves top recognition .Kedhira being a "world class player " hasn't done anything for us yet even if signs today . We will give him top wages purely on reputation .

I am invisible
13-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Ok, crazy theory alert, but does anyone think we might be looking at bringing in a couple of central midfielders, and not just one (possibly over the next year, but possibly this summer, if the options are there)? Arteta is 32 and down to the last year of his contract now, and I'm pretty sure Flamini was only signed on a two year contract, so he'll be down to his last year too (and we all know how much the Flamster loves a free transfer and a signing on fee)? Has anyone heard anything about talks for new deals for either of them? Rosicky will be 34 in October, Wilshere still has lingering fitness issues after that long lay off, and I'm not sure you can even include Diaby in this discussion with a straight face. Looks like we have a lot of options at first glance, but that could very quickly become very few options, so I do g think the idea is actually that far-fetched...

Zerlathon
13-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Ok, crazy theory alert, but does anyone think we might be looking at bringing in a couple of central midfielders, and not just one (possibly over the next year, but possibly this summer, if the options are there)? Arteta is 32 and down to the last year of his contract now, and I'm pretty sure Flamini was only signed on a two year contract, so he'll be down to his last year too (and we all know how much the Flamster loves a free transfer and a signing on fee)? Has anyone heard anything about talks for new deals for either of them? Rosicky will be 34 in October, Wilshere still has lingering fitness issues after that long lay off, and I'm not sure you can even include Diaby in this discussion with a straight face. Looks like we have a lot of options at first glance, but that could very quickly become very few options, so I do g think the idea is actually that far-fetched...

If I were Wenger, I'd be looking at buying both Khedira AND Bender, but loan Bender out to Leverkusen for next season.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2014, 02:02 AM
I don't know how long you be watching Lucas for .He was one of the best in his time . The truth is his form has dramatically dropped . At just 19 he was the German main striker . He has scored 47 goals in 117 games for Germany . That is very impressive record .
You ask why BFG should get more money than his 90k? Well , most players of his quality playing for teams of Arsenal standard are on 100k . You will agree he is no Toure or Senderos or Cygan , won't you ?
Until now , ramsey is our most important player . He has matured in a potential world class and more importantly a game-changer . He deserves top recognition .Kedhira being a "world class player " hasn't done anything for us yet even if signs today . We will give him top wages purely on reputation .

You're generally talking about how he has done over the course of his career which suggests that what you are actually talking about isn't merely 'form'. The player we have here today, whilst being a good player, is also a player who failed to live up to expectations at Bayern and is far from first team for the national side now too.

Nevertheless he came with good credentials which was why he commanded a good salary. I don't think he should have been paid what he was but that is immaterial. I wanted the club to bring in a quality forward and they did. I wasn't going to be bent up out of shape about it because we made him the highest paid player. We'd been penny pinching for years, showed no signs of letting up and paying it didn't bankrupt the club.

What good is it to talk of what 'most' players of Mertesacker's quality playing for a club like ours get? I'm sure it hasn't escaped your attention but there aren't an awful lot of clubs like Arsenal around. You know the type of club that actually tries to run itself properly on the money it accrues through legitimate business avenues and not rely on the benevolence of a rich benefactor. And I'm pretty sure you're not suggesting Distin or Jagielka are on 90k a week at Everton.... not that they are the quality of Per but they are a club who run themselves properly and have to.

If you sign a new player, then what else can you base his wages on other than the quality he has shown based on his past performances.....or in other words his reputation? If his reputation is a fallacy that is another issue, but assuming it is an honest one, I'm not sure why it would not come into play.

Ramsey will have his wages increased in good time to little argument of most reasonable fans. We didn't cut his wages when he wasn't playing well so why should we be obliged to rush and increase them now he is showing strong signs of coming of age? If we put Ramsey on 150k now....and next season he has a shocker.....can we suddenly cut his wages? No we can't, it doesn't work like that, so why shouldn't we take a breath before we go increasing wages of players on long term contracts who have started to play well.

I'm not saying Sammy K deserves to be Arsenal's top earner necessarily...but if you don't want to be obliged to pay a top wage for a top player then you may as well go and buy Stoke's destroyer rather than Real Madrid's and Germany's DM.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-07-2014, 02:06 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsdghLxIgAAMKMO.jpg

Hope to see that next season except with either a PL or a CL medal.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2014, 02:11 AM
Wenger wouldn't countenance buying Bender for 25 million + or whatever it will take and loan him back out.

Munchies
14-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Don't like how injury prone he is

I am invisible
14-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Khedira or Bender?

selassie
14-07-2014, 07:34 AM
According to Sport.ES Khedira will be signing for us, 4 year contract.

ARightTouch
14-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Don't like how injury prone he is

+1

Bender the safer and cheaper option

selassie
14-07-2014, 07:44 AM
+1

Bender the safer and cheaper option

I think we will only save on wages with Bender, his transfer fee will be high as he has a long contract and Leverkusen appear reluctant to sell. Khedira whilst being expensive, only has a year left on his contract so may come slightly cheaper transfer fee wise, his wage demands will be a lot higher though...but you get what you pay for. Khedira is a far superior player.

I am invisible
14-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Is Khedira's injury record really that bad, or has he just had one bad injury this year?

Alpha
14-07-2014, 07:51 AM
You're generally talking about how he has done over the course of his career which suggests that what you are actually talking about isn't merely 'form'. The player we have here today, whilst being a good player, is also a player who failed to live up to expectations at Bayern and is far from first team for the national side now too.

Nevertheless he came with good credentials which was why he commanded a good salary. I don't think he should have been paid what he was but that is immaterial. I wanted the club to bring in a quality forward and they did. I wasn't going to be bent up out of shape about it because we made him the highest paid player. We'd been penny pinching for years, showed no signs of letting up and paying it didn't bankrupt the club.

What good is it to talk of what 'most' players of Mertesacker's quality playing for a club like ours get? I'm sure it hasn't escaped your attention but there aren't an awful lot of clubs like Arsenal around. You know the type of club that actually tries to run itself properly on the money it accrues through legitimate business avenues and not rely on the benevolence of a rich benefactor. And I'm pretty sure you're not suggesting Distin or Jagielka are on 90k a week at Everton.... not that they are the quality of Per but they are a club who run themselves properly and have to.

If you sign a new player, then what else can you base his wages on other than the quality he has shown based on his past performances.....or in other words his reputation? If his reputation is a fallacy that is another issue, but assuming it is an honest one, I'm not sure why it would not come into play.

Ramsey will have his wages increased in good time to little argument of most reasonable fans. We didn't cut his wages when he wasn't playing well so why should we be obliged to rush and increase them now he is showing strong signs of coming of age? If we put Ramsey on 150k now....and next season he has a shocker.....can we suddenly cut his wages? No we can't, it doesn't work like that, so why shouldn't we take a breath before we go increasing wages of players on long term contracts who have started to play well.

I'm not saying Sammy K deserves to be Arsenal's top earner necessarily...but if you don't want to be obliged to pay a top wage for a top player then you may as well go and buy Stoke's destroyer rather than Real Madrid's and Germany's DM.

Lucas Podolski didn't have a good time at Bayern Munich but that will not dent his quality . We have had plenty of great players who flopped before they joined Arsenal and became amongst the finest players to have ever pulled our jersey . Denis Berkamp , Thierry Henry did not shine at AC Milan and Juventus respectively .
Most of the time it is down to the way a player is being used or if the system suits him . Podolski is an attacker . He has been trained to create and score goals . Defensive duties are not his strength . He can still track back to help a full back but it should be occasionally .But if you put behind him a full back who will need constantly his contribution then his quality as a forward will not be the same . Just another exemple , Arshavin was one of the best attacking minded player but the defensive burden we put on him destroyed him completely .
Coming to Ramsey , if we take into account what you said players will never get a decent wages and that will discourage other talents . Anyone can have a good or a bad season but when a player showed a massive improvement he deserves a prize to motivate him and send a strong message to his teammates to raise their game if they want any reward .
Arsenal is a big club and is generating money . That money should be used on players ( buying quality players as we just did with Sanchez and improving the wages of those who raise their game and show us loyalty )

Power n Glory
14-07-2014, 08:42 AM
I think he'd take a wage cut but from an Arsenal perspective, the main question should be focused on what he brings to the team. Will he be the difference to a Prem title?

I am invisible
14-07-2014, 08:44 AM
According to Sport.ES Khedira will be signing for us, 4 year contract.
Quite a few sites running this story now, or at least something like it (some are saying it's just the fee that's been agreed) - no doubt most of them are just rehashing the same original story, but at least there seems to be a lot of smoke here...

selassie
14-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Quite a few sites running this story now, or at least something like it (some are saying it's just the fee that's been agreed) - no doubt most of them are just rehashing the same original story, but at least there seems to be a lot of smoke here...

Aye, I definitely think "we are on his case" so to speak. Would be a great signing if we pull it off.

Kano
14-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I think he'd take a wage cut but from an Arsenal perspective, the main question should be focused on what he brings to the team. Will he be the difference to a Prem title?
under the right manager, yes he would. unfortunately injuries and mismanagement of the squad will continue to hinder us. we should finish higher than fourth though.

Grebbo
14-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Seems expensive but who cares, it's not my money!

:scarf:

selassie
14-07-2014, 09:57 AM

P'n'G, if he can play at the level he was playing at Real pre his ACL injury then he will make us strong challengers for PL and I would expect us to go far in CL.

Khedira is the finished product, he has great stamina and covers loads of ground, is technically decent, strong and decent tactically. He's like an upgraded version of Flamini when Flamini was in his prime.

Khedira would massively upgrade our Midfield IMO.

Marc Overmars
14-07-2014, 10:11 AM
If Mourinho wants him, then you know he must be a pretty good fit for DM.

Cracking signing if we pull it off, I just hope his fitness doesn't become a recurring issue.

Power n Glory
14-07-2014, 10:50 AM
P'n'G, if he can play at the level he was playing at Real pre his ACL injury then he will make us strong challengers for PL and I would expect us to go far in CL.

Khedira is the finished product, he has great stamina and covers loads of ground, is technically decent, strong and decent tactically. He's like an upgraded version of Flamini when Flamini was in his prime.

Khedira would massively upgrade our Midfield IMO.

That’s a massive ‘yes’. That’s all that really matters. We should be putting football and the squad ahead of the balance sheets.

Maestro
14-07-2014, 10:52 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/sami-khedira-latest-arsenal-beat-chelsea-in-race-to-land-real-madrid-and-germany-midfielder-9604299.html

GP
14-07-2014, 10:54 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0xzxtBoCn1qbgobho1_500.jpg

Power n Glory
14-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Moruinho is a cock blocking prick. Chelsea really don't need another central midfield player. Glad we've beat them to the punch.

Injury Time
14-07-2014, 11:38 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/sami-khedira-latest-arsenal-beat-chelsea-in-race-to-land-real-madrid-and-germany-midfielder-9604299.html

Note they gave Özil a 7 in the match review :faint:

Penguin
14-07-2014, 12:33 PM

The worrying part about that article is:

He is reported to have never fully settled in the Spanish capital, where he has been asked to be become more of a holding midfielder - at his best for Germany and Stuttgart he has been a true box-to-box presence.
If that's true I don't think that he's the right player for us. Unless Ramsey and Ozil significantly change the way they play, we basically need a holding midfielder.

Kano
14-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I've always been of the mind that the best midfielders are box to box nowadays. The Makele role is long dead.

As long as they are disciplined to read the game and be present and aware with developing danger then we don't need someone sitting on the half way line for most of the game.

AFC Leveller
14-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Khedira is a definite upgrade on Arteta and Flams put together but if i was to choose between him Schneiderlin then id choose the latter everytime. He is a DCM by trade, has loads of experience in the PL, is younger and looks stronger and would probably cost around the same.

Fist of Lehmann
14-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Hold on, WTF is going on here?

8 years in the wilderness and all of a sudden we're signing players from Barcelona and Real, seeing off the likes of Juventus and Chelsea?

Anyway, based on last seasons stats from that Squawka comparison tool, Schneiderlin looks by far the strongest option.
Sign him and I think we would pretty much steamroll all of the middle to lower order teams in the league.

Statistically Khedira looks a lot less strong, so he may well be less effective week to week.

Where I think he would shine though, is in those games we struggled last season, the 'big' games.
Khedira's seen it all, World Cup final, CL final, La Liga winner - nothing should phase him.
If football is n% mental, that goes doubly so for big games (2n%).

I also liked the way he leapt from the bench when Schweini caught one in the face last night.
Guy's ready to fight for his team.

Dein-machine
14-07-2014, 01:52 PM

8 years in the wilderness and all of a sudden we're signing players from Barcelona and Real, seeing off the likes of Juventus and Chelsea?

Anyway, based on last seasons stats from that Squawka comparison tool, Schneiderlin looks by far the strongest option.
Sign him and I think we would pretty much steamroll all of the middle to lower order teams in the league.

Statistically Khedira looks a lot less strong, so he may well be less effective week to week.

Where I think he would shine though, is in those games we struggled last season, the 'big' games.
Khedira's seen it all, World Cup final, CL final, La Liga winner - nothing should phase him.
If football is n% mental, that goes doubly so for big games (2n%).

I also liked the way he leapt from the bench when Schweini caught one in the face last night.
Guy's ready to fight for his team.

:gp:
We don't have to have the same set-up for every game. Why is a defensive midfielder needed when we play Cardiff, Norwich at home or Coventry in the cup? Aren't our defense good enough against pub team attackers?
We can play games with Khedira, Ozil & Rambo playing behind Walcot, Sanchez & Podolski for example ( still refuse to acknowledge Giroud as footballer). However when we play City & Liverpool, we can adopt the Schneiderlin approach, strengthen midfield & use the pace of Walcott & Sanchez on the counter.
We still have the likes of Wheelchair, Cazorla, Ox, Gnabbers to fit in at times but with our usual injury problems we have to have this strength in depth.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Don't see any issues with having two intelligent box to box midfielders alternating duties, we just need to make sure we get it right on the training pitch. Ramsey would be the other half of that partnership and he's more than capable. Vieira wasn't exactly a guy who spent 90 mins sitting in front of the back four.

I'd value natural ability on the ball as highly as strength and discipline, those rough, tough types who break everything up are all well and good until they hoof the ball and give it away. For me that's only 50% of the job done. Distribution and availability is important to keep the team on the front foot and the opponent under pressure. We are a team that used to excel in retaining possession, we've lost that in recent years. We need it back so for me Khedira is the better option compared to Schneiderlin, regardless of stats. Plus you can't underestimate the declaration of ambition and intent. Khedira is a much bigger signing, he sends out a louder message, he already has a rapport with Ozil, he's a world Cup winner. I don't think there's any real comparison.

It's just amazing we are even talking about signing this guy on the back of another huge signing (fat fuck Samuel's assassination piece notwithstanding). Our rivals have spent a lot of time laughing at us. Sign this guy plus a decent backup GK and add Remy to the mix if he can be persuaded to come down from cloud cuckoo land on the wages and I don't think anyone will be laughing. There will be genuine concern there. Tag on the fact we're running the club properly and our profits are real profits, add the fact we'll expand the fan base internationally by bringing these types of players in. The trend is up. We need to keep it heading in that direction. I wish we'd gone mad and signed Pogba, but Khedira will certainly do.

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2014, 02:02 PM

It's called - from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Lucas Podolski didn't have a good time at Bayern Munich but that will not dent his quality . We have had plenty of great players who flopped before they joined Arsenal and became amongst the finest players to have ever pulled our jersey . Denis Berkamp , Thierry Henry did not shine at AC Milan and Juventus respectively .
Most of the time it is down to the way a player is being used or if the system suits him . Podolski is an attacker . He has been trained to create and score goals . Defensive duties are not his strength . He can still track back to help a full back but it should be occasionally .But if you put behind him a full back who will need constantly his contribution then his quality as a forward will not be the same . Just another exemple , Arshavin was one of the best attacking minded player but the defensive burden we put on him destroyed him completely .
Coming to Ramsey , if we take into account what you said players will never get a decent wages and that will discourage other talents . Anyone can have a good or a bad season but when a player showed a massive improvement he deserves a prize to motivate him and send a strong message to his teammates to raise their game if they want any reward .
Arsenal is a big club and is generating money . That money should be used on players ( buying quality players as we just did with Sanchez and improving the wages of those who raise their game and show us loyalty )

Whether Podolski was a worthy acquisition or not is not what is in question here but I can see I am about to go round in circles so will respectfully disagree on a few things and leave it be.

Syn
14-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I think part of the reason Wenger would be interested is that Khedira offers a bigger physical presence and is good in the air. Sagna fought and won lots of headers. Szczesny lumped it for Sagna from goal kicks and Sagna also cleared a lot of corners. But I'm unsure of a Ramsey-Khedira pairing with no defensive mid. Vieira had Petit and then Gilberto to cover. This wouldn't be a similar thing.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Didn't really believe any of this Sami K stuff till the last few days. Nobody has denied anything and this summer unlike many past, there has been a lot less denial from the manager and club. There is obviously usually a sub plot of poker being played but I tend to believe Wenger on the odd occasions this summer when he has denied things, like with the interest in Balotelli.

I'm just delighted we appear not to be willing to let the window slip without signing some proper players in positions we need them in. If we signed Sami K it would be mental! I would definitely learn how to spell his name then too.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2014, 02:19 PM
I think part of the reason Wenger would be interested is that Khedira offers a bigger physical presence and is good in the air. Sagna fought and won lots of headers. Szczesny lumped it for Sagna from goal kicks and Sagna also cleared a lot of corners. But I'm unsure of a Ramsey-Khedira pairing with no defensive mid. Vieira had Petit and then Gilberto to cover. This wouldn't be a similar thing.

I was thinking of those partnerships you mentioned myself and I do tend to think that Petit was less of a sit and hold type than we tend to remember him as. I think there was a little more sharing and alternating which is seldom seen. They basically did what Gerrard and Lampard couldn't although admittedly it is easier to achieve at club level.

Power n Glory
14-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I was thinking of those partnerships you mentioned myself and I do tend to think that Petit was less of a sit and hold type than we tend to remember him as. I think there was a little more sharing and alternating which is seldom seen. They basically did what Gerrard and Lampard couldn't although admittedly it is easier to achieve at club level.

Yes, that’s what I also remember. Two rock solid bastards you’d have to struggle through before getting to Adams and co. Sammy and Rambo…if Ramsey didn’t have an engine and didn’t put in a lot of work on the tackling side, it could be more of a problem. I think they’d work fine together.

Penguin
14-07-2014, 02:48 PM
I don't think the Makelele role is dead really, look at Busquets for Barca, Lahm for Bayern and Alonso for Real. They don't need to be as passive as Makelele or Gilberto were but they do play a very important role in protecting that area in front of the defence and in switching from defence to attack. That doesn't mean they can't venture forward when there's space, but doing that occasionally doesn't make you a box-to-box midfielder. You don't see a rotating midfield pair as often because it's harder to play and to put into practice.

Having two box to box midfielders can sometimes be more restrictive. Ramsey and Yaya Toure were the two best box to box midfielders in the league last season but I doubt they could, or would like to, play next to each other in a two man CM. Both of those players thrive on having the unrestricted freedom to bomb up and down the pitch as often as they can, and they both have the stamina for it too. They don't want to think about when to go forward and when to stay back. You would probably lose something from both players.

Wenger plays Arteta in a holding role so it's safe to assume that he'll expect whoever he brings in to do the same job.

I am invisible
14-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Get Khedira and Schneiderlin/Bender - problem solved. This management lark is a piece of piss...

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
14-07-2014, 06:00 PM
This idea that he can't be effective with Ramsey is nonsense. Where's the 'proper' DM in Germany's midfield? Khedira and Schweinsteiger done pretty well.

And did Arteta come here as a DM? No. He turned into one (although that's debatable).

Niall_Quinn
14-07-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't get why Arteta gets so much stick. He's been reliable year after year, for those who go by statistics he's one of the best rated in Europe, he never has a bad word to say about the club, doesn't whinge, is a consummate professional, several times he's had the bottle to score crucial goals including pressure laden pens. He's been asked to play a new role at Arsenal and he's done it without complaint. He's getting on a bit now, bit slower, not as dynamic as he was. But the stick he gets is totally unreasonable. We're possibly bringing in better players, all that really remains if that happens is to thank Arteta for helping bring us to this point and acknowledge the role he's played. Some on here say they've never seen a worse DM, or that he's a useless player in general, the weak link. That's total bullshit. I can understand fucks like Bendtner getting flak, but not Arteta.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Also as Yellow rib pointed out Germany won a world cup without an obvious, discernible or well established holding midfielder and without the services of Bender.

Alternating between the 'sitter' and the venturer is not the relentless task it once was. What was once a midfield 2 is now usually a midfield 3 and you have strength in numbers. A percentage of that defensive work is implicit and perhaps more subtle in that teams win the ball back by their greater numbers and close proximity to each other in midfield squeezing the space. That is different to a time when 1 bloke would frantically chase anything that moved in the opposition shirt.

I don't think it is hard to imagine that Ramsey and Khedira might work quite nicely.

I'd rather us sign Khedira and then buy a cheaper holding player like Mavuba or M'vila who won't cost the bucks Bender will.

selassie
15-07-2014, 12:11 PM
This idea that he can't be effective with Ramsey is nonsense. Where's the 'proper' DM in Germany's midfield? Khedira and Schweinsteiger done pretty well.

And did Arteta come here as a DM? No. He turned into one (although that's debatable).

Exactly. If anything the trend seems to be moving away from playing a dedicated 'DM' in the Makelele/Gilberto kind of mould.

Germany didn't have one, Bayern don't really have one, Martinez is the deepest lying of their Midfielders but he gets about the pitch. Real Madrid don't have, Alonso is more defensively minded but he also gets about the pitch.

As stated, I think if Khedira is brought in, Wenger will work on him and Ramsey covering for each other, Ramsey may be the more advanced of the pairing but I would imagine Khedira will get about the pitch too.

AFC Leveller
15-07-2014, 12:33 PM
I get what you guys are saying but what this team needs is a solid DCM who can dominate that area and do what Arteta is supposed to do. Khedira was the more advanced of the 3 in the world cup and Schwein was the one sitting deep and doing the DCM job.

Marc Overmars
15-07-2014, 12:48 PM
The move has reportedly stalled over his huge wage demand.

Syn
15-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I get what you guys are saying but what this team needs is a solid DCM who can dominate that area and do what Arteta is supposed to do. Khedira was the more advanced of the 3 in the world cup and Schwein was the one sitting deep and doing the DCM job.

Finally, at least somebody could see it. And completely agree. In any case if we believe Arsenal's interest is real then I suppose we also believe that Khedira's wage demands are too high for Arsenal.

Penguin
15-07-2014, 12:49 PM
How much is he on at Real?

Syn
15-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Not that much, apparently (I've read 50-60k in pounds) but he won't sign a new contract (only has a year left) because he wants too much money. So Real Madrid are willing to sell him. From Arsenal's perspective, the transfer fee of £20m isn't the problem but the wages are.

AFC Leveller
15-07-2014, 12:54 PM
How much is he on at Real?

150k or so.

selassie
15-07-2014, 01:01 PM
The move has reportedly stalled over his huge wage demand.

Yeah I read that too and I read that his wage demands to come here are 150k per week. Not sure I believe that but if it's true then he'll be Chelsea bound.

AFC Leveller
15-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Schneiderlin would be the better option for us anyway. Would really like us to sign him up.

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Said we should have signed Scheweinsteiger three years ago, and two years ago, and last year and I say it again this year. Shame though because the years are ticking on. Even so, the guy remain the best at what he does. We'd still get 3-4 years out of him, enough time to put our Pogba bid together. But the dedicated DCM thing is a bit of a red herring in terms of Arsenal. Vieira was the best we ever had, but he wasn't a DCM in the true sense. If we could find a carbon copy nobody would have any problems with sticking him in the team with Ramsey. Adding all the other reasons I mentioned in an earlier post, Khedira is the right move and I hope we pull it off. But I've seen the same reports, apparently his demands are a bit silly. Some say imminent, it looks to be more like 50/50. But that's a huge improvement on the 100% no chance made up fantasy bullshit we've seen in prior seasons.

selassie
15-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Schneiderlin would be the better option for us anyway. Would really like us to sign him up.

Well if the reports are to be believed we've cooled our interest in Schneiderlin because Southampton want 20mill + for him. To be fair to Southampton they are well within their rights to demand big money for him, they have already milked Man United & Liverpool for 2 of their talents.

Whoever we buy is going to cost a fair bit, If it isn't Khedira or Schneiderlin then it's going to be Lars Bender and he won't come cheap.

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Well if the reports are to be believed we've cooled our interest in Schneiderlin because Southampton want 20mill + for him. To be fair to Southampton they are well within their rights to demand big money for him, they have already milked Man United & Liverpool for 2 of their talents.

Whoever we buy is going to cost a fair bit, If it isn't Khedira or Schneiderlin then it's going to be Lars Bender and he won't come cheap.

Apparently we've gone back with further enquiries about Schneiderlin - hopefully just to fuck up the spuds bid.

AFC Leveller
15-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Said we should have signed Scheweinsteiger three years ago, and two years ago, and last year and I say it again this year. Shame though because the years are ticking on. Even so, the guy remain the best at what he does. We'd still get 3-4 years out of him, enough time to put our Pogba bid together. But the dedicated DCM thing is a bit of a red herring in terms of Arsenal. Vieira was the best we ever had, but he wasn't a DCM in the true sense. If we could find a carbon copy nobody would have any problems with sticking him in the team with Ramsey. Adding all the other reasons I mentioned in an earlier post, Khedira is the right move and I hope we pull it off. But I've seen the same reports, apparently his demands are a bit silly. Some say imminent, it looks to be more like 50/50. But that's a huge improvement on the 100% no chance made up fantasy bullshit we've seen in prior seasons.

Vieira played alongside a DCM (Edu/Gilberto/Grimandi) and was the more atacking of the two anyway. the fact that he could defend and win the midfield battle was key but he was never the DCM in the side. When he played alongside Cesc in his final season, i remember we looked unbalanced and conceded goals through the middle due to the absence of a dedicated DCM.

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Vieira played alongside a DCM (Edu/Gilberto/Grimandi) and was the more atacking of the two anyway. the fact that he could defend and win the midfield battle was key but he was never the DCM in the side. When he played alongside Cesc in his final season, i remember we looked unbalanced and conceded goals through the middle due to the absence of a dedicated DCM.

Of course he had support, Petit being the best example, but we never played so rigidly as to tie any single player down to x yards from the edge of the box. It sounds to me like Khedira may end up a signing too far anyway, but I'd much rather us be heading in the Vieira/ Petit direction than this modern bullshit football that sets out to ruin the game as the primary objective. But I've always preferred to see great football even if we lose, than see anti-football and win though not everyone has the same view. My least favourite Arsenal game was the 2005 cup final win. It was an embarrassment from start to finish and we robbed the cup by robbing football. I don't see our loss to Liverpool in the same way, we were "robbed" but it was a good match to watch. Football first for me. I hated Makelele - horrible player, ruined every game he touched. He got a lot of praise for it and he was effective but football was the victim. Wenger now has the funds to rebuild. I hope he rebuilds according to his philosophies and not pragmatically to the lowest denominator.

selassie
15-07-2014, 01:58 PM
http://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/internationale-ligen/article130164490/Khedira-soll-Topverdiener-beim-FC-Arsenal-werden.html

Not sure how reliable they are.

Edited to add: Basically says Khedira will be joining us, seems quite detailed.

Alpha
15-07-2014, 02:31 PM
pic.twitter.com/JBTtJDso5M
pic.twitter.com/McCumhbebN

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Did Arteta come here as a DM?

AFC Leveller
15-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Did Arteta come here as a DM?

He didnt and actually played as an ACM in his first season with us then moved to DCM in his second season because we didnt buy anybody decent (or couldnt). The fact that we bought Flamini last season (who was first choice in the first few games) proved that AW wanted to strengthen that particular area.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-07-2014, 02:42 PM
He didnt and actually played as an ACM in his first season with us then moved to DCM in his second season because we didnt buy anybody decent (or couldnt). The fact that we bought Flamini last season (who was first choice in the first few games) proved that AW wanted to strengthen that particular area.

But Wenger turned him into a DM right? So are you now telling me Wenger can't turn Khedira, who shits on Arteta in every aspect/attribute, into a DM?

The fuck outta here. :lol:

AFC Leveller
15-07-2014, 02:50 PM
But Wenger turned him into a DM right? So are you now telling me Wenger can't turn Khedira, who shits on Arteta in every aspect/attribute, into a DM?

The fuck outta here. :lol:

You are missing my point. I know Wenger can turn him into a DCM but why dont we by a DCM by trade like Schneiderling or Bender and get it over with? if you look at the Chelsea, City and Liverpool defeats, you'll notice that we got robbed of the ball in the middle of the park for most of the goals and that because we didnt have anybody who can keep posession and keep things tight as well as protect the back 4.

Khedira is a good player and has loads of experience but if we have a choice between him and a proper DCM then the choice is easy.

We dont know if Wenger is going for him because he is his number 1 target ot that others (mentioned above) arent available/their clubs dont want to sell etc.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-07-2014, 02:56 PM
But why dont we by a DCM by trade like Schneiderling or Bender and get it over with? if you look at the Chelsea, City and Liverpool defeats, you'll notice that we got robbed of the ball in the middle of the park for most of the goals and that because we didnt have anybody who can keep posession and keep things tight as well as protect the back 4.

Because he can do that.

Marc Overmars
15-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Khedira gets asked where he'll play next season and Podolski shouts "ARSENAL" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_B2ul2XgyE&feature=youtu.be

Niall_Quinn
15-07-2014, 03:57 PM
You are missing my point. I know Wenger can turn him into a DCM but why dont we by a DCM by trade like Schneiderling or Bender and get it over with? if you look at the Chelsea, City and Liverpool defeats, you'll notice that we got robbed of the ball in the middle of the park for most of the goals and that because we didnt have anybody who can keep posession and keep things tight as well as protect the back 4.

Khedira is a good player and has loads of experience but if we have a choice between him and a proper DCM then the choice is easy.

We dont know if Wenger is going for him because he is his number 1 target ot that others (mentioned above) arent available/their clubs dont want to sell etc.

When we were buying second best and going on supermarket dashes that left the team short and lacking quality, a dedicated DM would have been useful just to compensate and give us a bit more steel to resist opponents with more quality. In the last couple of years we have started buying genuine talent. There's no need to think about shoring things up any more, we should be thinking about how we'll take advantage. Khedira brings more than Schneiderlin. Not just on the pitch but as a greater expression of ambition. Plus it's a cumulative effect. The more winners we have here the more winners will want to come. In a most pleasant surprise the club is now moving up, let's ride it while it lasts and not be looking back (unless it;s all the way to the Invincibles)

Penguin
15-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Poldi :lol: :bow:

fakeyank
15-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Podolski is a grade A WUM! :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
15-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Podolski :bow::bow:

When he retires he needs to join us as a scout. :lol:

It's almost a repeat of the Cesc/Reina Barca shirt thing in 2010 except it's in our benefit this time.

Injury Time
15-07-2014, 06:07 PM
When we were buying second best and going on supermarket dashes that left the team short and lacking quality, a dedicated DM would have been useful just to compensate and give us a bit more steel to resist opponents with more quality. In the last couple of years we have started buying genuine talent. There's no need to think about shoring things up any more, we should be thinking about how we'll take advantage. Khedira brings more than Schneiderlin. Not just on the pitch but as a greater expression of ambition. Plus it's a cumulative effect. The more winners we have here the more winners will want to come. In a most pleasant surprise the club is now moving up, let's ride it while it lasts and not be looking back (unless it;s all the way to the Invincibles)

Soon we'll be buying the title second third like the worstbest of them :trophy:

Injury Time
15-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Podolski :bow::bow:

When he retires he needs to join us as a scout. :lol:

It's almost a repeat of the Cesc/Reina Barca shirt thing in 2010 except it's in our benefit this time.
He has Arsenal Embassador written all over him*

*although doesn't he have shares in a team back home?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-07-2014, 06:24 PM

I'm a big fan of the conventional DM, and think that teams are better off with one in the side, but I'd happily discount that theory to sign Khedira. He's a top class midfielder who is good at just about everything. He'd improve us tremendously and give us presence in the middle of the park.

And as you suggest, Bould seems to have worked wonders as we're defensively stable now (despite a handful of games last season where we fell to pieces, obviously).

Sign him up.

Shaqiri Is Boss
15-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I think a midfield just looks more balanced with a DM in it. Whether that's a traditional enforcer-type, or someone who prefers to intercept and block than tackle.

Hence why I think we [Liverpool] desperately need one too. Just someone who is happy to stay back most of the time, protect the defence, recycle the ball and have a bit of nous.

Alonscherrard :cloud9:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-07-2014, 07:08 PM
I think a midfield just looks more balanced with a DM in it. Whether that's a traditional enforcer-type, or someone who prefers to intercept and block than tackle.

Hence why I think we [Liverpool] desperately need one too. Just someone who is happy to stay back most of the time, protect the defence, recycle the ball and have a bit of nous.

Alonscherrard :cloud9:

Is Lucas any good or has he turned into your version of Denilson?

Shaqiri Is Boss
15-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Is Lucas any good or has he turned into your version of Denilson?

Lucas is solid and unspectacular. Or rather, was.

He's a weird one. He was loathed when he first got into the team, blamed for absolutely everything (read: Arteta) and generally regarded as shit. Though many did think it was rather harsh, especially given the first thing he ever did for us was effectively win the Merseyside Derby.
Then he improved markedly and became a good, if not great DM who people still thought could move back slightly further forward.
Then he got his first bad injury and he suddenly became the love-child of Makelele and Zidane. In an instant he went from being a little underrated to being hilariously overrated.
He came back and did well, started to look like he could get back to his best. And then he got another bad injury.... and then I think another. Tbh I've lost count. Now he's lost any sort of pace he once had, of which there wasn't much anyway, and frankly is a little bit shit. It's a shame because he was decent for a time.
We're supposed to be trying to get rid of him now, but surprise surprise only Napoli seem to be interested and they're skint.

Also, maybe a chicken and egg situation, but he was at his best when we were at our worst.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
15-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Denilson then.

You can have Arteta if you want.

I am invisible
16-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Marca are reporting that a €25m fee is agreed, and that it's just personal terms that are holding the deal up, although, interestingly, they're saying that Khedira is asking for €7m a season, which is about £105k/week? Don't know how accurate that is, but I would imagine the deal will be done pretty quickly if they've got their info correct...

Xhaka Can’t
16-07-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm just off Arseblog. They think it might be because that is the net figure that is demanded. At a marginal tax rate of 40%, the real cost is significantly more.

selassie
16-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Marca are reporting that a €25m fee is agreed, and that it's just personal terms that are holding the deal up, although, interestingly, they're saying that Khedira is asking for €7m a season, which is about £105k/week? Don't know how accurate that is, but I would imagine the deal will be done pretty quickly if they've got their info correct...

Yeh that sounds about right. I think we'll sign him, the English media are just trying to add a bit of "drama" to the story what with these so called demands and Chelsea being in for him.

What seems to be clear is we are his first choice in terms of clubs he wants to join and he seems to be our priority signing for CM so I am confident we will get it done.

He'll be a top signing if we pull this off.

Asthmatic Kitty
16-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Fee agreed with Real, apparently. :yippee:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9383446/transfer-news-arsenal-edge-closer-to-deal-for-real-madrids-sami-khedira

Power n Glory
16-07-2014, 08:44 AM
We should start shopping around and approaching other targets if the trail goes cold on this one. Don't let it drag out. If we can't agree personal terms with Khedira, keep trying to knock off the price but we should make sure we're talking to another club to fill the DM spot.

selassie
16-07-2014, 09:46 AM
We should start shopping around and approaching other targets if the trail goes cold on this one. Don't let it drag out. If we can't agree personal terms with Khedira, keep trying to knock off the price but we should make sure we're talking to another club to fill the DM spot.

Yep agree with this.

I dunno...maybe I am being a bit premature but we seem to be a lot more decisive and pragmatic in the way we are doing business this summer.

Above anything else, it seems we have the money and are now prepared to battle it out to get the players we covet.

If we pull this off, signing Sanchez and Khedira in the same window is a major statement from us.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Khedira and Ramsey :cloud9:

Marc Overmars
16-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Yep agree with this.

I dunno...maybe I am being a bit premature but we seem to be a lot more decisive and pragmatic in the way we are doing business this summer.

Above anything else, it seems we have the money and are now prepared to battle it out to get the players we covet.

If we pull this off, signing Sanchez and Khedira in the same window is a major statement from us.

I read somewhere and Gazidis and Dick Law have taken a much more hands on approach now with transfer dealings. Wenger says who he wants, they go out and do the business.

Asthmatic Kitty
16-07-2014, 10:09 AM
anyone have any knowledge on the injury that kept him out of most of last season? that's the only real worry for me.

Marc Overmars
16-07-2014, 10:16 AM
It was an ACL, same as Theo.

I am invisible
16-07-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm just off Arseblog. They think it might be because that is the net figure that is demanded. At a marginal tax rate of 40%, the real cost is significantly more.
Ah, not so great then - probably nearer double that gross, which is worse than we were expecting?!

I'm not convinced it'll be anywhere close to that though? I suspect that might just be the figure that Khedira and his agent chucked at Madrid as what he'd want to stay on there - could just be a ploy to persuade them to sell?

Marc Overmars
16-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Doesn't help that Chelsea are in the mix as well, we know they could trump anything we offer. I find these reported wages for him crazy but this is just what we have to deal with now, if we want to continue shopping in this market for premium players.

KSE Comedy Club
16-07-2014, 11:34 AM
You also have to remember that he is a CL and WC winner from this season alone so he does have a certain amount of bargaining power when it comes to his wages, I suppose :shrug:

Kano
16-07-2014, 11:40 AM
If we do sign that German fitness guy and Wenger is genuinely looking to shake up the fitness approach through him, he could be the most important signing of the summer.

I am invisible
16-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Do you think Chelsea are genuinely interested in Khedira though, or is it just the papers adding an easy, slightly credible twist to an otherwise straightforward story, so they can drag it out into a mini soap opera? I haven't seen anything concrete from Chelsea yet, and I kind of think it would already be done if they really wanted him (or he wanted them)?

(Obviously, if we do sign Khedira, then Chelsea were definitely 100% after him, and we beat them to it. He was probably their main target in fact.)

selassie
16-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I read somewhere and Gazidis and Dick Law have taken a much more hands on approach now with transfer dealings. Wenger says who he wants, they go out and do the business.

Yeah definitely seems as if our approach has changed. Our pursuit of players seems a bit more open these days too.

KSE Comedy Club
16-07-2014, 12:20 PM
If we do sign that German fitness guy and Wenger is genuinely looking to shake up the fitness approach through him, he could be the most important signing of the summer.

I thought we already hired him ??

Can anyone confirm

Injury Time
16-07-2014, 12:22 PM

German fitness guy already confirmed pre world cup afaik, there was an article about him being our biggest signing of the summer.

KSE Comedy Club
16-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Don't worry I found out.

Yes we have already hired him and he will be here after the World Cup.

Mr Shad Forsythe.

The Emirates Gallactico
16-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Don't worry I found out.

Yes we have already hired him and he will be here after the World Cup.

Mr Shad Forsythe.

It seems true and has been widely reported but oddly it hasn't been mentioned on the main site yet.

Can only hope it's because we wanted to wait till after the world cup because this guy seems incredibly impressive and a must get.

AFC Leveller
16-07-2014, 02:32 PM
He is considered a dynamic midfielder with "flawless aerial ability" who can cover a lot of ground, recover the ball and quickly join in the team attack with his powerful mid-range shooting.according to Wiki.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-07-2014, 02:42 PM
AFC Leveller :haha:

AFC Leveller
16-07-2014, 02:46 PM

:gp:

Marc Overmars
16-07-2014, 04:48 PM
No fee agreed or talks held according to his agent. :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10971831/Sami-Khedira-is-not-in-talks-with-Arsenal-and-Chelsea-according-to-agent-Jorg-Neubauer.html

:rose:

Niall_Quinn
16-07-2014, 05:16 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10971831/Sami-Khedira-is-not-in-talks-with-Arsenal-and-Chelsea-according-to-agent-Jorg-Neubauer.html

Hopefully it just means he's being cut out of the deal.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Geoff :doh:

I am invisible
16-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Pfff... I hardly think that's true! It's probably that same fake-agent that was trying to represent Joel Campbell...

Kano
16-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Balague said a week ago that Madrid want to keep him but his agent is in no hurry to talk to them.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Thinking about it logically, Khedira won't sign a new contract. Apparently he doesn't want to stay and with Kroos coming in, he knows his game time will be limited.

Madrid won't want him to leave on a free next season so he has to be sold this summer. Plus the money from his sale can be used to fund Kroos.

He's leaving. The question is to who.

Niall_Quinn
16-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Straight up fight with the chavs by the sound of it. Our legit business vs their bottomless pit of mafia cash. If it's down to money we lose for sure. If he's looking for more than the cash then we win hands down.

Kano
16-07-2014, 11:56 PM
If Chelsea secure his signature, that's the title sewn up for them. Anti-football or not, Maureen knows how to win and with that squad, he'll have it sewn up.

I agree he is definitely leaving Madrid. They have to keep up with Barca and need to fund a mega-signing from somewhere so he'll help fund that. Who needs a great CM when they can have 8 strikers on the pitch.

Strangely enough, Podolski's mental moment is the only real connection that exists to Arsenal outside of media talk which is far from concrete but has spun most of our heads because of the spend on Sanchez makes it seem feasible now. He has a screw or two loose but here's hoping there was something to it.

Özim
17-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Madrid sign Kroos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28342137

selassie
17-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I don't think anybody in the media really has a clue what is going with Khedira. I was very confident we would sign him a few days back given the rumours in the media but with his agent coming out and killing the rumours I am not so sure now.

Niall_Quinn
17-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Sounds like the agent is trying to start a bidding war on the wages. The fee must have been agreed or Marketing would be kicking up all sorts of denials. So chances are the agent is lying, trying to get the chavs into the game. Latest reports are the wage demands are now £180Kpw, if true then this middleman cancer on football has killed the deal. But it's only media reports so 50/50 at best on whether there's a grain of truth in it. The doper clubs and agents, an unholy alliance. Hope we have an alternative lined up. The Wenger factor won't be a significant advantage here as the player has already worked with Maureen. It's Demba Ba in reverse, they have the money to wreck the deal and that's what the agent seems to be working towards.

Bumble
17-07-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't think anybody in the media really has a clue what is going with Khedira. I was very confident we would sign him a few days back given the rumours in the media but with his agent coming out and killing the rumours I am not so sure now.

I still think we will sign him. at Real he wont have been on more than Ozil so don't see how it would be any different at Arsenal. The only reason I think we wouldn't sign him is if he stays at Real, but by the sounds of it Real want to cash in and don't want to offer him a new deal. Otherwise Real would be making the denials.

selassie
17-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Sounds like the agent is trying to start a bidding war on the wages. The fee must have been agreed or Marketing would be kicking up all sorts of denials. So chances are the agent is lying, trying to get the chavs into the game. Latest reports are the wage demands are now £180Kpw, if true then this middleman cancer on football has killed the deal. But it's only media reports so 50/50 at best on whether there's a grain of truth in it. The doper clubs and agents, an unholy alliance. Hope we have an alternative lined up. The Wenger factor won't be a significant advantage here as the player has already worked with Maureen. It's Demba Ba in reverse, they have the money to wreck the deal and that's what the agent seems to be working towards.

Yep I reckon you are right, sounds like his agent is trying to get his client his last big contract. We are not exactly the right club to come asking for astronomical wages!!! besides I highly doubt we will put him on a higher wage than Ozil or Sanchez.

I am hoping Wenger has a backup plan.

selassie
17-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I still think we will sign him. at Real he wont have been on more than Ozil so don't see how it would be any different at Arsenal. The only reason I think we wouldn't sign him is if he stays at Real, but by the sounds of it Real want to cash in and don't want to offer him a new deal. Otherwise Real would be making the denials.

Maybe his agent thinks otherwise? It is starting to point towards that....

To be honest I am not even sure Chelsea are that keen on him for his reported wage demands, otherwise he would've been signed by now surely? I dunno...this one could end up getting pretty messy.

Niall_Quinn
17-07-2014, 01:50 PM
As long as it doesn't stop us chasing the Benders.

Maestro
17-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Back up irons ina de fire Wenget!

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
17-07-2014, 04:59 PM
As long as it doesn't stop us chasing the Benders.

You like them don't you.

AFC Leveller
20-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Metro.

Sami Khedira is set to be unveiled as a new Arsenal player on Monday, according to reports.

The Real Madrid midfielder has been linked with a move to The Gunners this summer after recent stories in the Spanish media suggested that Los Blancos had agreed a £19.8m fee with the north London club.

Despite Khedira’s agent insisting that his client was not in talks with Arsenal, CaughtOffside has now claimed that the Emirates Stadium outfit have agreed personal terms with the Germany international and will confirm the midfielder’s capture on Monday.

Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, was asked about Khedira following the club’s 2-0 win over Boreham Wood in a pre-season friendly on Saturday, but, refused to reveal which players he was targeting in the coming months.

‘I can’t give you any names,’ Wenger told reporters.

‘We are still active. Sometimes the players you want are available very late. You do the deals when they are possible.’

Maestro
20-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Maestro.

Sami Khedira is set to be unveiled as a new Arsenal player on Monday, according to reports.

The Real Madrid midfielder has been linked with a move to The Gunners this summer after recent stories in the Spanish media suggested that Los Blancos had agreed a £19.8m fee with the north London club.

Despite Khedira’s agent insisting that his client was not in talks with Arsenal, CaughtOffside has now claimed that the Emirates Stadium outfit have agreed personal terms with the Germany international and will confirm the midfielder’s capture on Monday.

Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, was asked about Khedira following the club’s 2-0 win over Boreham Wood in a pre-season friendly on Saturday, but, refused to reveal which players he was targeting in the coming months.

‘I can’t give you any names,’ Wenger told reporters.

‘We are still active. Sometimes the players you want are available very late. You do the deals when they are possible.’
Oh thanks for the update, let's hope tomorrow sees another star signing come our way

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-07-2014, 02:50 PM

That's what I was thinking. I find it hard to believe that Sami was on more than Ozil was at Real. Why his wages should be such an issue is anyone's guess.

Sami and his agent can afford to ride this one to the end though......if a deal doesn't happen, then he is probably happy to stay where he is......the onus is more on Real getting him out whilst they can get a decent fee for him.

fakeyank
20-07-2014, 03:15 PM
How reliable is caughtoffside? More importantly, who are they?

GP
20-07-2014, 03:21 PM
How reliable is caughtoffside? More importantly, who are they?

A level below goal.com

fakeyank
20-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh good.. seems reliable then

McNamara That Ghost...
20-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Caughtoffside have us buying Khedira, Balotelli and Varane whilst also selling Vermaelen, Podolski, Cazorla and Jenkinson.

:rolleyes:

I don't believe anyhing until the Arsenal Horse has spoken.

Kano
20-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Well with Rodriguez supposedly being confirmed at Real tomorrow it may make sense it happens then.

I am invisible
20-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Cheeky double bid for Khedira and Di Maria, tbf - Real won't be needing them, if they've got Kroos and Rodriguez in the bag...

selassie
21-07-2014, 10:25 AM
This one is dead according to David Ornstein (BBC). He says we are still in the market for a DM so I imagine we are after Carvalho of Sporting or Lars Bender.

Marc Overmars
21-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Fist of Lehmann
21-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Something must have gone badly wrong at the unveiling.

Niall_Quinn
21-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Apparently he wanted to sit on a giant weighing scales while we added gold to the other side and balanced things out. I think he wanted his agent on his lap too. Then Remy arrived towing a 4 ton ego and dumped that on the scales. I think Wenger calculated we didn't have enough trucks to match the demands so we dropped it and now we're searching on planet earth for an alternative.

selassie
21-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Apparently he wanted to sit on a giant weighing scales while we added gold to the other side and balanced things out. I think he wanted his agent on his lap too. Then Remy arrived towing a 4 ton ego and dumped that on the scales. I think Wenger calculated we didn't have enough trucks to match the demands so we dropped it and now we're searching on planet earth for an alternative.

:lol:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
21-07-2014, 01:47 PM

fakeyank
21-07-2014, 02:06 PM
/thread

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Oh bah humbug....

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-07-2014, 09:36 AM
i think what this shows interestingly in terms of big transfers is that personal terms tend to be agreed between player and prospective club (verbally at least) before a fee is agreed between the buying club and the selling club (after years of playing football manager this appears contrary to everything i understand)

So with Khedira i think most likely what happened is that we spoke to his agent, and found that the wage demands were ridiculous, which for me i can totally understand. I think it's a shame because i think Khedira and Ozil would link up fantastically well in the Arsenal midfield, but i don't see any sense in sticking this player on astronomical wages when he is far from being the best player out there in that position and his injury record is somewhat alarming to say the least.

This deal looks like it is dead, and i think Arsenal have probably taken the sensible option by walking away.

Niall_Quinn
22-07-2014, 11:06 AM
If Khedira really is on £50kpw at Marketing then I wonder why he believes he's suddenly worth over three times that? As for Remy, apparently the stupid fuck wants £100kpw. These players want to jump to the end of the pay scale without delivering anything beforehand. They've started selling their arses on potential rather than results. Another gift to football from the chavs and gypos and now other sad, joke outfits like Monaco and PSG.

Who else? That total loser Balotelli wants £150kpw. Who is going to pay millions a year to have their club fucked up (apart from Moyes)? Not us I hope. The Italians are getting desperate in their attempts to be rid of him and his fee is dropping like a stone. For some this might be interpreted as a clue.

There must be a striker and DM out there who aren't complete idiots and understand you have to perform to get the big pay. Just need to find them. We do need a striker though.

AFC Leveller
22-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Swansea want silly for money for him but id love us to sign Bony. He is an upgrade on Giroud, younger (not by much) and is a real goal scorer.

Him, Schneiderlin + a CB and we're good to go IMO.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Swansea want silly for money for him but id love us to sign Bony. He is an upgrade on Giroud, younger (not by much) and is a real goal scorer.

Him, Schneiderlin + a CB and we're good to go IMO.

selassie
22-07-2014, 11:59 AM
i think what this shows interestingly in terms of big transfers is that personal terms tend to be agreed between player and prospective club (verbally at least) before a fee is agreed between the buying club and the selling club (after years of playing football manager this appears contrary to everything i understand)

So with Khedira i think most likely what happened is that we spoke to his agent, and found that the wage demands were ridiculous, which for me i can totally understand. I think it's a shame because i think Khedira and Ozil would link up fantastically well in the Arsenal midfield, but i don't see any sense in sticking this player on astronomical wages when he is far from being the best player out there in that position and his injury record is somewhat alarming to say the least.

This deal looks like it is dead, and i think Arsenal have probably taken the sensible option by walking away.

Aye, I really like Khedira as a player but like you believe he has priced himself out of a move. If he/his agent thought he was coming here as the highest earner off the back of an ACL injury then more fool them.

I personally don't believe we will sign a Midfielder, both of our remaining targets/rumoured to be targets in Lars Bender and William Carvalho would be very difficult transfers if we are not prepared to pay over the odds.

I also don't believe we hold a '"firm" interest in Schneiderlin, I think he is seen as a back up plan and is way down our list of targets.

AFC Leveller
22-07-2014, 12:20 PM

16 goals in 34 appearances for one of the relegation candidates is very good going. Giroud has 27 in 70 for us and considering how many chances we create thats not good enough and you know it.

Some of the goal Bony scored last season were world class and i have no doubt he would be a massive signing for us.

BOBN
22-07-2014, 12:28 PM
16 goals in 34 appearances for one of the relegation candidates is very good going. Giroud has 27 in 70 for us and considering how many chances we create thats not good enough and you know it.

Some of the goal Bony scored last season were world class and i have no doubt he would be a massive signing for us.
Ignore them. Nevermind the vastly superior Bony, they know damn well that you could play pin the tail on a donkey with a Panini sticker book and come out with a striker better than Giroud.

Cant believe we're about to start the season with this guy as our CF again. Marketing. Puma probably told us we need a few pretty boys to break Asia (see Beckham).

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Last 2 seasons. Goals:

Rooney 35
Giroud 39

Rooney viewed as absolute beast. Giroud viewed as absolute shit.

AFC Leveller
22-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Last 2 seasons. Goals:

Rooney 35
Giroud 39

Rooney viewed as absolute beast. Giroud viewed as absolute shit.

I think Rooney is overrated but you and i both know he is a better player then Giroud.

Xhaka Can’t
22-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Why? Because the media tell us how wonderful Rooney is?

AFC Leveller
22-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Why? Because the media tell us how wonderful Rooney is?

No.

Rooney is not the greatest striker ever, far from it actually but with him up front for us, im sure we'd be a much better team. He is much much better than Giroud and trust me i hate Rooney.

fakeyank
22-07-2014, 03:28 PM
No.

Rooney is not the greatest striker ever, far from it actually but with him up front for us, im sure we'd be a much better team. He is much much better than Giroud and trust me i hate Rooney.

But how is he better?

Gooner23
22-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I'd rather have Giroud than Rooney at the present moment. Rooney was a much better player a few years ago but looks to have burnt out early.

AFC Leveller
22-07-2014, 03:40 PM
But how is he better?

Better technique, stronger, quicker, better goal record, big game player, better work ethic etc.

Would you rather have Giroud up top than Rooney? really? there are at least 10 strikers in this league who are better than Giroud! Aguero, Rooney, Sturridge, Dzeko, RVC, Lukaku, Bony, Remy, Costa, Negredo etc.

IMO if we signed any of the above mentioned players above we'd have a much better chance of winning the league.

GP
22-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't swap Giroud for Rooney.

I wouldn't even swap Sanogo for Rooney.

AFC Leveller
22-07-2014, 03:49 PM

:respect:

Marc Overmars
22-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Rooney was a great player but even some United fans have grown frustrated and fallen out of love with him. They've given him 2 massive contracts since 2010 and his form has been on and off to say the least.

fakeyank
22-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Better technique, stronger, quicker, better goal record, big game player, better work ethic etc.

Would you rather have Giroud up top than Rooney? really? there are at least 10 strikers in this league who are better than Giroud! Aguero, Rooney, Sturridge, Dzeko, RVC, Lukaku, Bony, Remy, Costa, Negredo etc.

IMO if we signed any of the above mentioned players above we'd have a much better chance of winning the league.

I agree with some of your points but stronger and better goal record? Someone just posted he has a better goal record than Rooney in the last 2 seasons. So how exactly is that a better goal scoring record? I think they are equal in terms of work ethic, though Rooney has a much much better technique. As for big game player, I have seen Rooney do fuck all in many big games. He usually has a spurt of 6-7 games where he will go batshit insane and then we will just ride on the goals from those games.

I'm in no way saying that Giroud is the greatest striker in the PL. All I'm saying is that he also did not always have the best supply up front.. our football is a bunch of dilly dally backward passing BS. Give him a chance to play with quick counter attacking players around him and see him look like a much better player.

I am invisible
22-07-2014, 05:48 PM
And give him an occasional rest too - that wouldn't hurt either...

Power n Glory
22-07-2014, 05:50 PM
If Khedira really is on £50kpw at Marketing then I wonder why he believes he's suddenly worth over three times that? As for Remy, apparently the stupid fuck wants £100kpw. These players want to jump to the end of the pay scale without delivering anything beforehand. They've started selling their arses on potential rather than results. Another gift to football from the chavs and gypos and now other sad, joke outfits like Monaco and PSG.

:lol: Sound like the sort of regime we've got running here with our socialist wage structure. But anyway, I think the new money clubs have played their part but it's the old clubs like Real Madrid that keep pushing the boat out further.

Unai Tea
22-07-2014, 05:56 PM

I wouldn't piss on Rooney's head even if his arse-hair mullet caught fire....but, he's the better player:

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2013/2014/olivier_giroud/126/64/115/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/wayne_rooney/126/64/73/0/p#goals_scored/chances_created/assists/successful_take_ons/successful_take_ons_%#90

Power n Glory
22-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Rooney is an example of a club holding on to a player for too long when he wants a new challenge. They should have let him go ages ago but instead they've kept him, fed him until he's fat and now looks like a sloppy, slothful mess! He's done it all at Manure. Domestic cups, the league, Champs League....time for him to move on. If he doesn't respond to that vicious bastard, Van Gaal, then nothing will motivate him staying at that club. He still has talent and he's young enough to recover.

As for the Giroud comparisons...:lol: Form and talent. I highly doubt Giroud will be going all beast mode for us this season. It's just not within his capacity to lead the line in that way. It's just not in his makeup to be a complete menace and influential. We're always going to be looking at Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla, Ramsey or Walcott. One of them goes out injured and we'd lose something vital. The only problem with Giroud going out injured is that we only have Sanogo as an alternative.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
22-07-2014, 06:53 PM
@Blackburngeorge Jul 18
Giroud's goals directly earned more points than any other striker in the league last year. I bet you didn't know that?

Niall_Quinn
22-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Rooney's that cheating diving cunt who didn't have anywhere near enough talent to end our unbeaten run so had to flop in the box (almost as big a flop as his participation in the recent World Cup) and steal a goal. Is that the same Rooney we are talking about? The one that's cheated in the same way throughout his miserable and massively over-rated career? The cunt who really is stealing a living with his ludicrous £300Kpw deal? Giroud's one of ours, Rooney is close on the biggest cunt in football. Any Arsenal fan who wants to be in any way objective when it comes to Rooney is getting the whole football fan thing wrong. I don't care if he's better or worse than Giroud, just so long as he's dead.

Özim
22-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't want Rooney here, however let's be honest Giroud is sh*t and it wouldn't be hard to find an upgrade on him, he's a sub at best. We've got Sanchez now of course and he's class, still feel Giroud needs replacing tho.

BOBN
22-07-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm in no way saying that Giroud is the greatest striker in the PL. All I'm saying is that he also did not always have the best supply up front.. our football is a bunch of dilly dally backward passing BS. Give him a chance to play with quick counter attacking players around him and see him look like a much better player.
He had that at the world cup, he was shit.

Final straw for me.

AFC Leveller
23-07-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree with some of your points but stronger and better goal record? Someone just posted he has a better goal record than Rooney in the last 2 seasons. So how exactly is that a better goal scoring record? I think they are equal in terms of work ethic, though Rooney has a much much better technique. As for big game player, I have seen Rooney do fuck all in many big games. He usually has a spurt of 6-7 games where he will go batshit insane and then we will just ride on the goals from those games.

Giroud is a 2nd rate striker who does not have the ability to dominate games or score regularely. His best ever season was at Montpellier where he got 21 goals....in the French league. We will NOT win the league with him as the main man and i think you know it. Rooney hasnt had the best of seaons in the last couple of years but he is by far the better player (and a ****). If Wenger (Giroud's biggest fan) was offered the chance to sign Rooney, im 100 percent sure he'd do it in no time.

Yes Giroud was knackered last season and didnt have the likes of Theo, Ramsey and Ozil to play with for large parts but that doesnt change the fact that he is slow and can't finish. not only that but towards the last few months last season he became this moaning lamp post who did eff all for us and was a hindrance to our attacking play.

AFC Leveller
23-07-2014, 09:39 AM
@Blackburngeorge Jul 18
Giroud's goals directly earned more points than any other striker in the league last year. I bet you didn't know that?

Yeah, we all know stats tell the whole story!

did you know that Giroud played more minutes than any other striker last season yet got les than 20 goals in the league? his ratio of 27 in 70 says it all.

AFC Leveller
23-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Final straw for me.

Eggsakly.

I dont think he has the mentality to be the best, he lacks that aggression and ruthlesness to be a top guy for us. Its bad enough that he is average but The amount of times he moans everytime a defender touches him is frustrating and then keeps complaining to the ref.

Marc Overmars
23-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Giroud is not a ruthless striker and that's what sets the best apart, but he's far from shit.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Most of us judge players on what we see..... sometimes the stats will back up what is there for us to see and sometimes they won't.....at least ostensibly.

That stat above seems to work in Giroud's favour and yet you cannot discard the fact that last year Rooney got 17 league goals and Giroud got 13/14. That is just off the top of my head so anybody is welcome to correct me. If you are talking about a push for the title then that stat works in Rooney favour.

I cannot stand the fat ginger twat, concur that his time at Manure has probably passed and it may be down hill from here on, but I am in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Rooney is a better player than Giroud. Whether or not he would work better for this team is debatable but Giroud is certainly behind him imho.

I agree with AFC Lev that Bony is a better player too. I just don't see that if Bony was in this side that we would be any less effective than with Giroud and he would take more of his chances.

Power n Glory
23-07-2014, 11:09 AM
He’s spent half of his career playing in the 2nd division of French football and he even spent a season in the 3rd division. It’s going to take some serious work to get him up to the sort of level we need. I just don’t think he’s capable. Off the bench, he’s fine. Besides his questionable finishing, his link up play isn’t that good because his pass completion rate is always almost 50/50.Something noted during the World Cup for France and it took the sting out of their game. Add that to his lack of movement, which Wenger has warned him about twice already, I’m worried that even with Sanchez and Walcott on the flanks, we’ll be playing in front of defenders with the front three isolated or running into packs of players.

AFC Leveller
23-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Most of us judge players on what we see..... sometimes the stats will back up what is there for us to see and sometimes they won't.....at least ostensibly.

That stat above seems to work in Giroud's favour and yet you cannot discard the fact that last year Rooney got 17 league goals and Giroud got 13/14. That is just off the top of my head so anybody is welcome to correct me. If you are talking about a push for the title then that stat works in Rooney favour.

I cannot stand the fat ginger twat, concur that his time at Manure has probably passed and it may be down hill from here on, but I am in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Rooney is a better player than Giroud. Whether or not he would work better for this team is debatable but Giroud is certainly behind him imho.

I agree with AFC Lev that Bony is a better player too. I just don't see that if Bony was in this side that we would be any less effective than with Giroud and he would take more of his chances.

Bony would be a fantastic signing for us. That header agsinst us at the Emirates last season was incredible!

His goals tend to be cleanly hit, precise finishes.

AFC Leveller
23-07-2014, 11:17 AM
He’s spent half of his career playing in the 2nd division of French football and he even spent a season in the 3rd division. It’s going to take some serious work to get him up to the sort of level we need. I just don’t think he’s capable. Off the bench, he’s fine. Besides his questionable finishing, his link up play isn’t that good because his pass completion rate is always almost 50/50.Something noted during the World Cup for France and it took the sting out of their game. Add that to his lack of movement, which Wenger has warned him about twice already, I’m worried that even with Sanchez and Walcott on the flanks, we’ll be playing in front of defenders with the front three isolated or running into packs of players.

Agree completly.

Penguin
23-07-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm surprised at how many people think that Giroud's better than Rooney. :unsure:

Based on form alone I could understand, Rooney has been awful for the last couple of seasons. But in terms of ability Rooney is lightyears ahead of Giroud. The 'old' Rooney was a much more influential player than Giroud has ever been. Overrated as fuck but still a great player.

Yeah I agree about Giroud's link up play. It's supposed to be one of his strengths but he loses the ball or the chance too much. In the first 7 or 8 games last season all of his little flicks were coming off but the rest of the time he was painfully wasteful. He also needs to learn when it's better to control the ball and turn rather than knocking the ball on first time every time.

selassie
23-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Giroud is not a ruthless striker and that's what sets the best apart, but he's far from shit.

Yep, this.

Giroud is very firmly in the 2nd or even 3rd tier. He's not an "elite" or "soon to be elite" striker and that is what we need to really progress as a team. Giroud is comfortably the worst starting striker of any our fellow top 4 rivals.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Eggsakly.

I dont think he has the mentality to be the best, he lacks that aggression and ruthlesness to be a top guy for us. Its bad enough that he is average but The amount of times he moans everytime a defender touches him is frustrating and then keeps complaining to the ref.

He can't perform for France

http://youtu.be/clBbnWhQytk

AFC Leveller
23-07-2014, 05:41 PM
He can't perform for France

http://youtu.be/clBbnWhQytk

Wow. Im convinced now, scoring in a meaningless friendly against Norway is as good as it gets.

BOBN
23-07-2014, 10:06 PM
@Blackburngeorge Jul 18

Is this because people like Sturridge and Suarez were too busy blowing teams away that their 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th in a match didnt count as "directly earning points"?

Worst stat ever :haha:

fakeyank
24-07-2014, 01:13 AM

Final straw for me.

He barely got enough minutes! How can you say he was shit based on that? Again, I'm not saying he is a Suarez but he is not the worst striker in the world as made out to be. Anyone who scores 20+ goals and about 10 assists a season is a good footballer. Yes, his shoulders dropped and he looked lazy (tired?) towards the later half of the season but he is a good striker to have. I have confidence that he can and will get better with better players around him.

Injury Time
24-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Anyway back OT Wilshire to move into a deeper roll to replace Arteta according to some rag...unless the fags and booze have helped him improve his tackling I can't see it myself :shrug:

Power n Glory
24-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Anyway back OT Wilshire to move into a deeper roll to replace Arteta according to some rag...unless the fags and booze have helped him improve his tackling I can't see it myself :shrug:

It's an option for him if he wants game time but he'll have to simplify his game and protect the ball better, which he did poorly last season. It's something he'll have to develop and it could work but I doubt he'd be happy with that position.

I am invisible
24-07-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd actually love to see him move back into a deeper role - not at the expense of an extra midfielder coming in, of course, as I don't think there's a long term future there for 3 or 4 of out current options, but I definitely think it's the best fit for Wilshere's game.

Also worth considering Rosicky in a deeper role too, IMO...

BOBN
24-07-2014, 07:26 AM
He barely got enough minutes! How can you say he was shit based on that? Again, I'm not saying he is a Suarez but he is not the worst striker in the world as made out to be. Anyone who scores 20+ goals and about 10 assists a season is a good footballer. Yes, his shoulders dropped and he looked lazy (tired?) towards the later half of the season but he is a good striker to have. I have confidence that he can and will get better with better players around him.
He'd been bright coming off the bench in 1 or 2 of the earlier games but when he became trusted and got his start against an average Nigeria he was appalling, totally inept. France looked to have no idea on how to break them down, just like us for most of last season. As soon as he was subbed for Griezmann and Benzema moved to CF everything changed. They started linking up and it lead to the goals.

Proved to me that were handicapping ourselves. His best role in plan B off the bench.

I am invisible
24-07-2014, 07:36 AM
It's an option for him if he wants game time but he'll have to simplify his game and protect the ball better, which he did poorly last season. It's something he'll have to develop and it could work but I doubt he'd be happy with that position.
He has (sort of) already played that role for us - in that year where he first really broke into the side (2010-11?) he was in a midfield 3 with Fabregas and Song, and very often ended up as the furthest man back as Song regularly swanned off to join the attack. And he was really good at it too - wasn't he voted our player of the year that year, as well as PFA young player of the year, and voted to the PFA team of the season? Obviously he's lost his way a little since then, largely through injuries, but I honestly think that we need to get him back into that kind of role again, if we ever want to see him back to his best - having the game in front of him just seems to suit him better than waiting for it to come to him higher up the pitch...

Power n Glory
24-07-2014, 08:40 AM
He has (sort of) already played that role for us - in that year where he first really broke into the side (2010-11?) he was in a midfield 3 with Fabregas and Song, and very often ended up as the furthest man back as Song regularly swanned off to join the attack. And he was really good at it too - wasn't he voted our player of the year that year, as well as PFA young player of the year, and voted to the PFA team of the season? Obviously he's lost his way a little since then, largely through injuries, but I honestly think that we need to get him back into that kind of role again, if we ever want to see him back to his best - having the game in front of him just seems to suit him better than waiting for it to come to him higher up the pitch...

Of course. Before his injury, I’d have no qualms about Wilshere playing that role but based on what I’ve seen of him recently, I fear he’s too reckless and gungho. Back before his injury, he’d easily skip past or spin an opponent and then lay off the simple pass. It was a thing to watch. He had the awareness and sharpness to play on the half turn, to always be on the pivot. These days, he gets caught in possession on the turn a lot, goes down easily from slight contact and overplays with the dribbling. It’s not impossible for him to tone down the dribble attempts. I except him to be aware of the position he’s playing and having to adjust his game but it’s the bad habits he’s picked I’m not so sure about. He’s also not that strong physically and needs to work on his tactical positioning. It’s a big risk.

Marc Overmars
24-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Wenget has said himself he sees Wheelchair as a deep lying player, someone who can distribute the ball and begin attacks. To play that role though you also need to be able to tackle and have the nack of intercepting at the right times.

At the moment he's got too many bad habits, this is a big year for him, people have already started to notice his lack of development so another season on the shelf would be very damaging. He's old news now, needs to make himself relevant again with some of those stellar 2011 performances.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
24-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Jack's best position is in the deep lying playmaker role. When we beat Barca he was instrumental at linking play and providing the platform for our attacking play.

As the DM? God no. He hasn't grasped the art of tackling. He'd be the type of DM that would give away fouls every time he goes in for a tackle, similar to Scholes. Plus he's made of glass and he really isn't suited for it.

selassie
24-07-2014, 10:59 AM
We'll get torn apart by the big teams if we have Wilshere anchoring our midfield or even Wilshere and Ramsey lining up together in Central Midfield without a strong physical presence.

I am hoping these rumours of us not going back in the market for a Midfielder are just rumours, sticking Wilshere there is square pegs in round holes IMO.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-07-2014, 11:28 AM
I think Wenger will consider trying it but more as a last resort. The game is played far simpler from that position too, even if losing the ball is far more grave so perhaps Wilshere can again come into his own playing there.

I don't like the fact it would be more as a result of failing to secure a transfer target than a real belief in Wilshere being our DCM though. Wilshere doesn't really have any aerial presence to speak of so at this rate, Wenger will play Giroud and never take him off:

Walcott, Sanchez, Cazorla, OxO, Gnabry, Podolski
Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky.....

Diaby

Not the biggest team we've ever assembled besides the Fabled Frenchman and not one of those guys really dominates in the air. Sneezy is perfecting his technique of hitting the back of Giroud's head as we speak......

Zerlathon
24-07-2014, 11:30 AM
We'll get torn apart by the big teams if we have Wilshere anchoring our midfield or even Wilshere and Ramsey lining up together in Central Midfield without a strong physical presence.

I am hoping these rumours of us not going back in the market for a Midfielder are just rumours, sticking Wilshere there is square pegs in round holes IMO.

Honestly, I don't see how Wilshere will fit in the DM, perhaps going as an understudy to a QUALITY DM for a season (i.e. not Arteta or Flamini) would be a better approach. However throwing him in the deep end is a risk we do not need to take.

selassie
24-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I don't see how Wilshere will fit in the DM, perhaps going as an understudy to a QUALITY DM for a season (i.e. not Arteta or Flamini) would be a better approach. However throwing him in the deep end is a risk we do not need to take.

Yep agree with this.

I also agree with Blink 1nce Quince 2wice in that at the moment it seems that Wenger is trying this method due to failing to acquire his principal transfer targets in this position.

Power n Glory
24-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Certainly looks that way. The DM transfer talk has died down and Wenger did hint at looking for internal solutions for midfield. I just always thought he’d gamble on Diaby again or see how Coquelin gets on in the preseason. I suppose trying Jack is a better option than that but it sucks to hear this sort of talk. The season ahead will be tough and I don't see the need to gamble like this.

AFC Leveller
24-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Certainly looks that way. The DM transfer talk has died down and Wenger did hint at looking for internal solutions for midfield. I just always thought he’d gamble on Diaby again or see how Coquelin gets on in the preseason. I suppose trying Jack is a better option than that but it sucks to hear this sort of talk. The season ahead will be tough and I don't see the need to gamble like this.

We cannot allow this to happen, esp not this season after doing our business early and building on our FA cup win. Man u, City, Chelsea and Liverpool have (or will) all strengthened and we cannot stand still anymore.

I dont think Diaby can play in the DCM role. one of the first things the role needs is ability to receive and pass the ball quickly, Diaby's biggest problem (after injuries) is that he dwells on the bal for too long.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Guys,

We're not "allowing" it to happen. Recently we've tried to sign Suarez (Liverpool wouldn't honour the contract), Khedira (wanted to be paid his wages and everyone else's wages), Remy (just LOL at his demands), Draxler (wants to stay where he is), plus other top class players and we actually have signed Ozil and Sanchez. Just be thankful we aren't Utd otherwise we'd be listening to countless snubs and reflecting on the fact we signed Fellaini. Lots of time to go until the window closes.

Power n Glory
24-07-2014, 02:15 PM
We cannot allow this to happen, esp not this season after doing our business early and building on our FA cup win. Man u, City, Chelsea and Liverpool have (or will) all strengthened and we cannot stand still anymore.

I dont think Diaby can play in the DCM role. one of the first things the role needs is ability to receive and pass the ball quickly, Diaby's biggest problem (after injuries) is that he dwells on the bal for too long.

I don’t think it’s impossible for Jack or Diaby to be converted, I just don’t see why we’re being such cheapskates. It’s not really worth mentioning Diaby. I’m just hoping he gets through this season without any major injuries. Wherever he plays, he’s going to be very rusty.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Diaby doesn't have the natural sensibilities to play there, I would agree. As Lev says, he dwells on the ball way too long which strikes me as one of those things the most talented kid in the park does. Diaby hasn't had the uninterrupted time to curb that habit and unlike when he was 14, he will now find himself in the midst of tough premier league games.

If the season started tomorrow I'd play Arteta (I know he isn't popular here) and would be looking to replace him late on with Rosicky.

We shouldn't forget that Wenger has already experimented with playing Ramsey and Jack in the 2 in front of the back line so it isn't as far fetched an idea as you might think, but he clearly doesn't think it is ideal, hence the pursuit of a DCM for 2 summers now.

Power n Glory
25-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Besides Flam, we don’t have anyone that can naturally play the role. Arteta had to adapt and it’s not impossible for Jack or Diaby but we just shouldn’t be doing that. These sort of experiments require time and patience because there is a learning curve and there will be mistakes made by the players. But we shouldn’t be in this position. Let the fringe players fight to get into the first team and prove themselves. Don’t shoehorn them into a position that should be filled by a much better player that’s more suitable for that role.

Gooner23
25-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Arteta is the most disciplined midfielder in the squad, by a long way. And he still gets stick for it.

I'm not saying we can't improve on Arteta in the holding role, but we could certainly do a lot worse i.e. Jack or Diaby.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Disciplined or limited. Fine line IMO.

Globalgunner
25-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Arteta is the most disciplined midfielder in the squad, by a long way. And he still gets stick for it.

I'm not saying we can't improve on Arteta in the holding role, but we could certainly do a lot worse i.e. Jack or Diaby.
If disciplined means Can't run for toffee, Can't tackle for shit. Then yes he's disciplined. He is no DM However.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Arteta is the most disciplined midfielder in the squad, by a long way.

Power n Glory
25-07-2014, 11:36 AM

We’re having to hit the ball up to Giroud or try to get our wing backs to drive the play forward from tight wide possession because we can no longer pass the ball out from the back through the middle. Arteta isn’t good enough to play on the half turn and gets shut down quickly. He’s not comfortable receiving the ball from deep and then dishing it off. He always points for the defenders to pass it wide or long. It slows down our play and I don’t want us always depending on Giroud to hold the ball up.

I’m surprised by his technical ability and always thought he’d fair better in the role. We didn’t buy him for his discipline and Wenger could have bought any old brute to play in the DM role, but like his defenders, he likes technical players that can keep our passes flowing. But Arteta isn’t great technically and even though he holds, he hasn’t got the physicality to really make great use of his discipline. We need to find a balance.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-07-2014, 12:05 PM
We’re having to hit the ball up to Giroud or try to get our wing backs to drive the play forward from tight wide possession because we can no longer pass the ball out from the back through the middle. Arteta isn’t good enough to play on the half turn and gets shut down quickly. He’s not comfortable receiving the ball from deep and then dishing it off. He always points for the defenders to pass it wide or long. It slows down our play and I don’t want us always depending on Giroud to hold the ball up.

I’m surprised by his technical ability and always thought he’d fair better in the role. We didn’t buy him for his discipline and Wenger could have bought any old brute to play in the DM role, but like his defenders, he likes technical players that can keep our passes flowing. But Arteta isn’t great technically and even though he holds, he hasn’t got the physicality to really make great use of his discipline. We need to find a balance.

Si

Gooner23
25-07-2014, 01:34 PM

If its so funny name someone that is then? Flamini charges round like a headless chicken, Ramsey plays box to box (rightfully so) and Jack always gets caught high up the pitch and doesnt have the engine to get back.

Didn't say Arteta couldn't be improved on, just not from within the current squad.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Mertesacker.

Gooner23
25-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Mertesacker.

:good:

Power n Glory
25-07-2014, 03:21 PM
If its so funny name someone that is then? Flamini charges round like a headless chicken, Ramsey plays box to box (rightfully so) and Jack always gets caught high up the pitch and doesnt have the engine to get back.

Didn't say Arteta couldn't be improved on, just not from within the current squad.

True. We don't have many internal options. Coquelin is a player with potential but I doubt Wenger will keep him. Also, he's inexperienced and raw. We really need to buy.

Gooner23
25-07-2014, 04:36 PM
True. We don't have many internal options. Coquelin is a player with potential but I doubt Wenger will keep him. Also, he's inexperienced and raw. We really need to buy.

I agree, always thought Coquelin had promise but surely it's game over for him this summer.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2014, 10:17 PM
A manc getting smacked down hard after his mancish observations on Podolski's efforts to tempt Khedira into joining him in London.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a433/qwerty12343/pods-1_zpsee626144.png

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Arteta's ability to keep the ball moving in midfield is second to none at the club. Unfortunately, with his physical capabilities on the wane, that is not enough for the side we find ourselves with now, but to my mind he is still the best fit of those that are here.

Bitterly disappointed the Khedira deal is practically dead and I hope we have alternatives.

Xhaka Can’t
25-07-2014, 11:44 PM
A manc getting smacked down hard after his mancish observations on Podolski's efforts to tempt Khedira into joining him in London.

Canadians :bow:

Injury Time
26-07-2014, 06:38 AM

Wife beater bitch slaps another (see user name)...although tbf I'm not entirely sure why Pod couldn't come back a smidge early he's already had a nice holiday in Brazil with his mates :run:

Fist of Lehmann
26-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Reportedly Khedira has lowered his wage demands to £134k a week in a 'last-ditch' attempt at clinching a move, £134k a week presumably being the absolute barest minimum he can subsist on without spiralling into poverty, depression and, ultimately, death.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-07-2014, 12:46 PM
If that is after tax, I suspect the club will retain their ground.

Master Splinter
26-07-2014, 01:47 PM
There hasn't been any concrete proof we were interested in him. This is the obvious agent trying to get him a bumper new ego-soothing contract in the face of diminishing importance at a big club by linking him with Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG.

With Bender, there were confirmed bids. With Schneiderlin, we've had confirmed interest by two reliable BBC reporters. Nothing regarding Khedira.

In terms of cost, injuries and actual midfield attributes that would benefit the team, he's the most risky, so it's not a devastating blow that there's no interest.

Syn
26-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Oracle Ornstein said we are no longer looking at Khedira, which maybe means there might've been some interest. I think Wenger might well sign a CM but with Arteta and Flamini fully rested for the new season he might wait to see who becomes available late on in the window. Whether it's Khedira, Carvalho, Schneiderlin whoever, Arsenal like to make a big deadline day story because they think they've got the upper hand in negotiations and can get better deals.

The Emirates Gallactico
26-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Metro reporting that he's dropped his excessive wage demands and is eager for a move over here.

Guessing the realisation that he's not going to feature in Madrid's plans next season has finally caused him to push for a move. It's only us and Chelsea seemingly interested and the latter don't really need him enough to pay what he wants.

Niall_Quinn
26-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Metro reporting that he's dropped his excessive wage demands and is eager for a move over here.

Guessing the realisation that he's not going to feature in Madrid's plans next season has finally caused him to push for a move. It's only us and Chelsea seemingly interested and the latter don't really need him enough to pay what he wants.

I rate Metro at least as good as the Daily Blair at pulling stories out of thin air. But if true, the chavs can't sign him now because they are on a FFP drive. Apparently. :haha:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Well the Bender bids were way back last summer so I have no idea why we're still being linked to him. Wenger opted out and has moved on imo.

If Sami boy has dropped the demands then there may be hope yet.... I think that the Specialist eejiot would have signed him by now if he wanted him. We are in a sense fortunate over the lack of opposition.