PDA

View Full Version : The Calum Chambers Thread

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-07-2014, 10:28 AM
'The best things in life are unexpected' -Eli Khamarov

Welcome to the club Calum Chambers. Apparently had his medical yesterday and fee already agreed. I'm guessing it's just the picture taking at the training ground that needs to be done.

A solid right back who is a) homegrown b) has lots of potential c) is a Southampton academy player.

It seems the loss of Chambers has been the final straw for Soton fans, many could understand Shaw, Lallana and Lambert going but they didn't envisage Chambers leaving. Many believe he's better and more consistent than Shaw which is a good sign for us.

Debuchy for a few years then Chambers steps in. More importantly, Wenger splashing £12m-£16m on a backup right back, what the hell is going on? We finally have quality depth.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Calum+Chambers+pmg3KCvGy4Fm.jpg

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/cms_images/player/calum-chambers-press-pre-spurs-home148-1247994_478x359.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5yCZUhhCyEA/0.jpg

WMUG
26-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Puma money :bow:
Emirates gate receipts :bow:
Fiscal responsibility :bow:

I am invisible
26-07-2014, 11:00 AM
So do we see this kid being a RB or a CB in the long-term (or even immediately)? Obviously most of his experience for Southampton has been at RB so far, but there seem to be quite a few people who have worked with him who rate him as a future CB for club and country?

Bumble
26-07-2014, 11:06 AM
So do we see this kid being a RB or a CB in the long-term (or even immediately)? Obviously most of his experience for Southampton has been at RB so far, but there seem to be quite a few people who have worked with him who rate him as a future CB for club and country?
That's what I heard that he can play rb or cb maybe he is replacing Sagna versatility to add depth to both positions.

I am invisible
26-07-2014, 11:24 AM
That's what I heard that he can play rb or cb maybe he is replacing Sagna versatility to add depth to both positions.
And, let's be honest, that versatility is probably vital right now, as I can't see us signing more than 1 CB this summer, and that's likely to be a replacement for Vermaelen, and not an addition...

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-07-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm going to be honest and show my ignorance, i haven't seen much of this kid so i have no idea whether he's any good or not.

Seems to be like Southampton are in money troubles

Özim
26-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Never even heard of him, not one of Southampton's star players, not sure why we're splashing out 16 million on this guy.

GP
26-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Great player, one of Southampton's star players. Great decision to spend £16m on him.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Never even heard of him, not one of Southampton's star players, not sure why we're splashing out 16 million on this guy.

what are you doing here?...i thought you were still mourning for your Brazillian heroes getting bummed in the semi finals

GP
26-07-2014, 12:35 PM
what are you doing here?...i thought you were still mourning for your Brazillian heroes getting bummed in the semi finals

They would have won had the hero Neymar Junior not been savagely and brutally murdered.

Letters
26-07-2014, 12:42 PM
:lol:

Bumble
26-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm going to be honest and show my ignorance, i haven't seen much of this kid so i have no idea whether he's any good or not.

Seems to be like Southampton are in money troubles

They can't be in financial trouble as I think they are one of the best run clubs in the country plus will have received over 100m in transfers this summer which is insane.

The last two saints youth players we have bought have been pretty useful so fancy this guy will be good too.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-07-2014, 12:47 PM

:haha:

Grebbo
26-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Hmm £28m on two right backs? Do right backs win you many games or would we have been better off buying a striker?

Wenger really has no excuses if Giroud get's injured. There's still time to sign a striker of course but Wenger usually says signing more than 3 players makes integration difficult.

Syn
26-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Hmm £28m on two right backs? Do right backs win you many games or would we have been better off buying a striker?

Wenger really has no excuses if Giroud get's injured. There's still time to sign a striker of course but Wenger usually says signing more than 3 players makes integration difficult.

I think Wenger sees Sanchez as a striker. He said he might play on the wing initially but when Chamberlain or Walcott make it back he'll push Sanchez up front. I don't think Wenger will sign a striker now either unless we sell Podolski or something.

This wasn't particularly a priority after the Debuchy signing. But if Wenger thinks he's a top talent then I don't see much problem. We did need some cover at CB at least and if Vermaelen goes we'll need another one there too. Don't know about RBs winning games but fullbacks see a lot of the ball and a top quality one could transform the team's style of football. Long, long way to go though.

Niall_Quinn
26-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Don't know anything about him, can't recall seeing him play. He's English so 50/50 at best he'll make it. Hope we get a striker.

Marc Overmars
26-07-2014, 01:22 PM
They can't be in financial trouble as I think they are one of the best run clubs in the country plus will have received over 100m in transfers this summer which is insane.

The last two saints youth players we have bought have been pretty useful so fancy this guy will be good too.

I think they're flogging everyone because they've been offered silly money for most of them. They could probably replace most of these players adequately for half of what the outgoing players have been sold for.

Master Splinter
26-07-2014, 01:26 PM

They were: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26813363.

You'd think that was all paid off now, but it makes it all the clearer why they're selling their assets.

I think they'll be OK this season though, despite the obvious thinking that they'll be instantly doomed because of the fire sale.

Master Splinter
26-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Wenfer's Southampton fetish :bow:.

Wenget's Chamber fetish :bow:.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Mos def an outside bet for going down.

KSE Comedy Club
26-07-2014, 02:56 PM

:haha:
Ah Zimm, you're a funny guy :lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-07-2014, 03:02 PM
In truth, I had hardly heard of him until recently and by default didn't see him as one of their star players and I am at the very least surprised the fee is mooted at 16 million.

That was quite non sensationalist by Ozims standards....

Happy with the club taking a measured gamble though.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Defenders stop goals and seeing as we got thrashed by 6s last season on a number of occasions I think investing in the defence is a brilliant strategy.

Özil's Panoramic View
26-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Why are folks laughing at Zimm?

How many of you can honestly say you knew anything about the juvenile prior to now?

Niall_Quinn
26-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Is that a trick question?

Letters
26-07-2014, 04:08 PM

How many of you can honestly say you knew anything about the juvenile prior to now?
It's just textbook Zim. For years he's been whining that Wenger 'refuses' to spend money (with some justification, it has to be said).
Now we have money available, Wenger's spending it so there go the goalposts and now he's complaining we are spending money.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Charlie logic :lol:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-07-2014, 04:20 PM
It's just textbook Zim. For years he's been whining that Wenger 'refuses' to spend money (with some justification, it has to be said).
Now we have money available, Wenger's spending it so there go the goalposts and now he's complaining we are spending money.

Indeed he is either a consummate Wind up Merchant of the Old school variety or he has Borderline Personality Disorder

My money is on both

Injury Time
26-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Bit harsh on Zimm, I've seen enough of his posts to know he's juvenile, are you new here?

Bergkampwonderland10
26-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Got me lots of points in the Fantasy footie last season. Can't quite believe he's 19, looks very composed, built well, quick feet too. He played very well against us, so I am sure that is what got Wenger thinking. Aurier was probably a decoy all along...he'd be off to the AcoN every other year...and Wenger isn't much of a fan of that. I think the way we are conducting our transfer business so far is brilliant. A striker and another CB would be nice...perhaps our bid for Carvalho was to get Khedira to lower his wage demands...I'm not fussed which one it is though ;) Falcao might also be worth a bid...but I still have a feeling that Balotelli might well be an Arsenal player before the close of play. Wenger is a huge fan.

Bergkampwonderland10
26-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't mind an upgrade on Monreal either, Athletico are welcome to him.

GP
26-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Of Balotelli? Are you sure?

Why hasn't he signed him then?

Master Splinter
26-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Wenger is a huge fan.

He is?

GP
26-07-2014, 08:34 PM
He is?

Of House of Cards. Kevin Spacey is little bit exceptional.

Bergkampwonderland10
26-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Of Balotelli? Are you sure?

Why hasn't he signed him then?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/wenger-reveals-balotelli-admiration

GP
26-07-2014, 08:40 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/wenger-reveals-balotelli-admiration

That was 5 years ago. He's since proven himself to be a psychopath.

Niall_Quinn
26-07-2014, 08:45 PM
We have been thwarted in our non-efforts to sign Balotelli. He's snubbing our non-offer and staying in Italy, supposedly, apparently. He will be deployed in his new role as a tax write-off. They tried to depreciate him but the accountant's pencil broke and they couldn't find a sharpener before Balo's value dropped to zero. Wenger's total lack of an offer and his non-interest in signing him has cost us this deal, for sure.

Bergkampwonderland10
26-07-2014, 08:47 PM
A psychopath with a natural striking ability. If he's not going to be too costly and they want to take Joel Campbell on loan for a year as part of the fee..then it might be worth it.

GP
26-07-2014, 08:49 PM
I'd rather keep Campbell.

He isn't a psychopath.

Master Splinter
26-07-2014, 08:50 PM
We have been thwarted in our non-efforts to sign Balotelli. He's snubbing our non-offer and staying in Italy, supposedly, apparently. He will be deployed in his new role as a tax write-off. They tried to depreciate him but the accountant's pencil broke and they couldn't find a sharpener before Balo's value dropped to zero. Wenger's total lack of an offer and his non-interest in signing him has cost us this deal, for sure.

Snubbed again.

Beaten in the race by Liverpool/Spurs/Dag and Red.

Gazumped.

Mourinho wins another game of the mind.

Mertesacker is not pacy.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-07-2014, 08:55 PM
A psychopath with a natural striking ability. If he's not going to be too costly and they want to take Joel Campbell on loan for a year as part of the fee..then it might be worth it.

We should be the ones asking for money.

AFC Leveller
27-07-2014, 07:46 AM
I know a lot of us are put off by Balotelli's mental issues but as a striker, he would be a beast for us. A lot of people (including Scousers and ex players) said Suarez was too mental and would be a huge liability after he bit Ivanovic but he went on to have the season of his life and single handedly took Liverpool back to the top. If Balotelli can be tamed by Wenger then we'd have a world class triker in our hands.

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 10:26 AM
And if he can't we have a war zone for a dressing room and we're the centre of a media circus. It would be insanity to let this loser anywhere near the club.

Gooner23
27-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Over rated and not worth the baggage. Would rather give Campbell a shot.

Syn
27-07-2014, 12:22 PM
I know a lot of us are put off by Balotelli's mental issues but as a striker, he would be a beast for us. A lot of people (including Scousers and ex players) said Suarez was too mental and would be a huge liability after he bit Ivanovic but he went on to have the season of his life and single handedly took Liverpool back to the top. If Balotelli can be tamed by Wenger then we'd have a world class triker in our hands.

Suarez is a nutcase but he tends to channel his craziness into an obsession to win on the field. And he has meltdowns because he can't handle defeats (not just in terms of game result but also the individual battles). Balotelli is incredibly talented but his craziness isn't as constructive as Suarez. He becomes disinterested when he has lost the plot whereas Suarez is always busy and working for the team.

The only sympathy I have on that front is that I don't think anywhere he has been so far has had the right environment. Either in racist Italy or the Man City circus. Still he's 23 and has won 4 league titles and a champions league. If he's willing to accept reasonable wages and Milan accept a lower fee, I don't think he would be any more of a problem than Bendtner if things go tits up. And if they don't, we've got a top quality striker capable of scoring goals from chances that don't exist. Wenger doesn't seem keen though, which is fair enough. We've got our marquee forward anyway.

Power n Glory
27-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Suarez is a nutcase but he tends to channel his craziness into an obsession to win on the field. And he has meltdowns because he can't handle defeats (not just in terms of game result but also the individual battles). Balotelli is incredibly talented but his craziness isn't as constructive as Suarez. He becomes disinterested when he has lost the plot whereas Suarez is always busy and working for the team.

The only sympathy I have on that front is that I don't think anywhere he has been so far has had the right environment. Either in racist Italy or the Man City circus. Still he's 23 and has won 4 league titles and a champions league. If he's willing to accept reasonable wages and Milan accept a lower fee, I don't think he would be any more of a problem than Bendtner if things go tits up. And if they don't, we've got a top quality striker capable of scoring goals from chances that don't exist. Wenger doesn't seem keen though, which is fair enough. We've got our marquee forward anyway.

Sums up how I feel about the situation. Some good points made. A while back, I'd have said Wenger wouldn't be able to handle him but I now think he might be the right sort of manager. Militant dictators like Mourinho and Mancini tend to have massive public fallouts with their players. It's not just Balotelli. They never handle the situation well and often gets messy.

Wenger isn't that sort of manager and would talks a different approach to Mario. A more arm around the shoulders, encouragement and confidence. It could work. He's handled troublesome players in the past. Just look at Anelka. I think the highlight of that guys career still stems from his work with Arsene.

It's only a small fee so it may be worth the risk. But I doubt Wenger will because I have a feeling he's going to move Sanchez to the striker position once Theo is match ready.

Power n Glory
27-07-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/27/italian-football-racism-row

I mean...come on! I have no idea why Mario wants to stay in Italy or represent them. That's outrageous.

Injury Time
27-07-2014, 03:04 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/27/italian-football-racism-row

I mean...come on! I have no idea why Mario wants to stay in Italy or represent them. That's outrageous.

Wow, just wow.

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Amazing the trivia the media gets all hot and bothered about, compared to the massive real-world racism exploding in their faces which is studiously ignored. If somebody referred to an English player as a "chip eater" or a "roast beef" (a favourite with the French) then nobody would care.

Power n Glory
27-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Amazing the trivia the media gets all hot and bothered about, compared to the massive real-world racism exploding in their faces which is studiously ignored. If somebody referred to an English player as a "chip eater" or a "roast beef" (a favourite with the French) then nobody would care.

Yes, I'm sure his comments are on the front page of every paper instead of what's happening in Gaza. :doh:

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Yes, I'm sure his comments are on the front page of every paper instead of what's happening in Gaza. :doh:

You keep framing everything in terms of what is printed. Try thinking about what isn't printed and why it isn't printed. Then you will be hot on the trail of racism.

Power n Glory
27-07-2014, 04:35 PM
You keep framing everything in terms of what is printed. Try thinking about what isn't printed and why it isn't printed. Then you will be hot on the trail of racism.

We've got social media for the stuff mainstream media want to leave out, but that's another story.

I don't know why you're bringing this sort of argument to a football forum and linking it to current affairs. It's out of context. Shit, the next time you want to moan about Maureen, the Gypos, Chavs, fans being milked by corporations and whatever else, I'll kindly remind you that it's all trivial when kids are being blown up in Gaza. ;)

Just so we don't lose track, we were discussing Balotelli....in the Calum Chambers thread for some reason. :shrug:

Letters
27-07-2014, 05:15 PM
If somebody referred to an English player as a "chip eater" or a "roast beef" (a favourite with the French) then nobody would care.
Probably because the English are not a race who have been oppressed and discriminated against for much of their history.
The difference is pretty obvious.

GP
27-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Probably because the English are not a race who have been oppressed and discriminated against for much of their history.

Bloody chip eater.

Mmm, chips...

Letters
27-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Mmm, chips...
:gp:

Chips :bow:

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 05:29 PM
We've got social media for the stuff mainstream media want to leave out, but that's another story.

I don't know why you're bringing this sort of argument to a football forum and linking it to current affairs. It's out of context. Shit, the next time you want to moan about Maureen, the Gypos, Chavs, fans being milked by corporations and whatever else, I'll kindly remind you that it's all trivial when kids are being blown up in Gaza. ;)

Just so we don't lose track, we were discussing Balotelli....in the Calum Chambers thread for some reason. :shrug:

You don't know why I'm bringing this here? Me? Wasn't me who linked that dumb article to Balotelli in a transfer thread, was it? Look elsewhere for the instigator. I hadn't mentioned anything bar transfers here until somebody brought up racism. But who?

Social media :haha: At least I assume you were joking.

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 05:34 PM

I see, so it's not the principle that counts, it's the statistical application. Good to know. By the way, the very first slave owners were black. We copied them so successfully we surpassed the tutor.

Anyway, I'm happy not to dwell if people want to stop bringing stuff like this up in a transfer thread.

Power n Glory
27-07-2014, 05:50 PM
You don't know why I'm bringing this here? Me? Wasn't me who linked that dumb article to Balotelli in a transfer thread, was it? Look elsewhere for the instigator. I hadn't mentioned anything bar transfers here until somebody brought up racism. But who?

Social media :haha: At least I assume you were joking.

ummm....because it links into what Syn said about Balotelli having a rough ride in the Italian league.:rolleyes:

The only sympathy I have on that front is that I don't think anywhere he has been so far has had the right environment. Either in racist Italy or the Man City circus.

Yes, social media, old man. :oldboy: New media. We're in a generation where we can access information from alternative sources if we find the mainstream biased. But continue to patronise. ;) Enlighten us about 'real' racism.....but please do so in the 'general chat' thread. :good:

GP
27-07-2014, 05:52 PM
So... Callum Chambers...

Power n Glory
27-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I see, so it's not the principle that counts, it's the statistical application. Good to know. By the way, the very first slave owners were black. We copied them so successfully we surpassed the tutor.

Anyway, I'm happy not to dwell if people want to stop bringing stuff like this up in a transfer thread.

Remarkable!

Injury Time
27-07-2014, 06:21 PM
So... Callum Chambers...

Racist :sulk:

Letters
27-07-2014, 06:43 PM
So... Callum Chambers...
Who?

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 06:50 PM
ummm....because it links into what Syn said about Balotelli having a rough ride in the Italian league.:rolleyes:

Yes, social media, old man. :oldboy: New media. We're in a generation where we can access information from alternative sources if we find the mainstream biased. But continue to patronise. ;) Enlighten us about 'real' racism.....but please do so in the 'general chat' thread. :good:

I'm confused now, is it Syn's fault or mine for you bringing up the whole racism thing?

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Who?

Pretty much. Seen too many English wonderkids to get excited yet. Will wait to see what he does on the pitch.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-07-2014, 10:17 PM

12 Years A Letters :bow:

Munchies
27-07-2014, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzheaEhLno

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
27-07-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm confused now, is it Syn's fault or mine for you bringing up the whole racism thing?

Shut up you grape eater.

Özim
28-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Really?

So tell me how much you know about this guy, I know about the likes of Shaw, Lallana etc but can't say I know anything about him. Hence my question about why we're paying 16 million for him, I think it's steep for a player who most know little about.

Letters
28-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Really?
Yeah. :good:

Marc Overmars
28-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Think it was a fair enough comment really Letters.

Zim is often accused of seeing things in black and white but he's actually seen a shade grey here.

Özim
28-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks for being here.

selassie
28-07-2014, 09:27 AM
16million is a helluva lot of money for a relatively untried Full back who has only made 25 appearances in PL but it's not my money so who am I to complain. English tax added too so......

FWIW, I watched him a few times last season and he looked a very good young talent, sure he is not as flashy as Luke Shaw, but this kid seemed very mature in his play and defensively looked very sound, he's no slouch either. Looks quite versatile too, could definitely see him in Central Defence.

I suspect Wenger moved for him now before his stock rose any higher, we are talking about a potential 25mill + player here if he carried on putting in performances this season like he did last season.

I am happy to see us make signings like this, bringing in quality homegrown talent before they trade for uber money.

Power n Glory
28-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Zim is often accused of seeing things in black and white but he's actually seen a shade grey here.

True. I think we've always been willing to spend on youth. Ox and Theo weren't cheap players. Ox was £12m up front then we had add ons which brings the fee up further.

I think with Callum we've just paid an up front fee without the add ons. If we're willing to pay a lot, Wenger really rates him.

Letters
28-07-2014, 09:37 AM

It is a fair enough comment, it's just amusing (and others found it so too) to see it from someone whose default position is that everything Wenger and the club do is wrong.

Just 49 to go then.
:rimshot:

Munchies
28-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Just 49 to go then.
:rimshot:

They're making a film of it apparently

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Fifty Shades of Zimm :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-07-2014, 02:26 PM
www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140728/calum-chambers-completes-move-to-arsenal

Official! :bow:

Marc Overmars
28-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the greatest club in the world. Good luck Calum.

Munchies
28-07-2014, 02:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bto1NW3IQAIRamV.jpg

The Emirates Gallactico
28-07-2014, 02:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bto1NW3IQAIRamV.jpg

GHELS (+ 1 GHPL) for lyfe :bow::bow::bow:

fakeyank
28-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Cant believe the amount of signings we have got in. Wenger is definitely taking it to another level.

I'd still like us to get Remy and sign a big black guy in DM.

Master Splinter
28-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the greatest club in the world.

Good luck to Lovren tbh.

And welcome Chambers too.

Chambo Junior :bow:.

The Emirates Gallactico
28-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Don't see why Wenger will touch Remy if he's failed a medical at Liverpool. At that age it's probably not worth it.

Marc Overmars
28-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Best player Southampton have sold this summer, tbh.

Master Splinter
28-07-2014, 03:06 PM

Don't know anyone who knows a thing about football who'd say any different. By far their biggest star.

Injury Time
28-07-2014, 03:09 PM
www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140728/calum-chambers-completes-move-to-arsenal

Official! :bow:

Yes, yes but can he banter, distinct lack of presence on twitter...some might say he's been invisible #stealingaliving :sulk:

The Emirates Gallactico
28-07-2014, 03:18 PM

From the little I've seen of him I'm getting strong Philip Lahm vibes from him.

Master Splinter
28-07-2014, 04:39 PM
A wild Feo appeared!

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/700x1000/jul_14/gun__1406561331_cc1.jpg

:unsure:

Injury Time
28-07-2014, 04:43 PM
A wild Feo appeared!

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/700x1000/jul_14/gun__1406561331_cc1.jpg

:unsure:

No wonder Theo keeps getting injured with those shit boots :sulk:

BOBN
28-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Jenko killer :bow:

Welcome to the 12th best club in the world.

Wish him all the best.

GP
28-07-2014, 08:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Heybq1s79Y

Özim
29-07-2014, 08:43 AM
It is a fair enough comment, it's just amusing (and others found it so too) to see it from someone whose default position is that everything Wenger and the club do is wrong.

I never really said it was wrong, just questioned the amount of money involved for a player that in reality noone really seems to know much about, I can't be the only one who thinks 16 million is a lot of money for someone at his current level.

If you asked me if I'd have spent 16 million on him, I'd have to say no based on the fact I really know little about him, that's not to say Wenger is wrong, he might turn out to be top class, but it's a bit of a lottery signing.

Letters
29-07-2014, 08:51 AM
It's not £16m.

Özim
29-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah your right it's 12 million, 16 million was being touted around originally.

Not so bad I guess, still would have liked to have known a bit about him, certainly knew about Ox-Chamberlain.

Letters
29-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Obviously I don't know much about him but I don't follow football in detail these days so I don't know anything about anyone's squad other than our own, apart from the real stars of a few of the other more high profile teams. All I have to go on is a friend of a friend who is a Southampton fan and rates him. Far as I understand it the fee is 'rising to 16' which I guess means it depends how he does. Anyway, let's see how he does. I'm just pleased we're actually doing things in the transfer window this summer and doing them early.
We're moving in the right direction and that can only be a good thing.

Gooner23
29-07-2014, 10:15 AM
My old manager was a Saints fan and raved about him. Saw him a few times last season and always impressed, especially in the Arsenal game. Signing any 19 year old can be a gamble but this could be a brilliant signing.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-07-2014, 12:33 PM
From the little I've seen of him I'm getting strong Philip Lahm vibes from him.
Steady now, lol....

Jenko killer :bow:

Welcome to the 12th best club in the world.

Wish him all the best.

A Gunner
29-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Calum is pictured with number 5 in training, does that mean Vermalaen is gone?

The Emirates Gallactico
29-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Calum is pictured with number 5 in training, does that mean Vermalaen is gone?

Nah he's got the number 21 shirt. Confirmed it on his twitter account.

The club must of given him a spare shirt until they print new ones up.

I am invisible
30-07-2014, 09:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzheaEhLno

The lad looks like a future CB to me, going by that clip, although it's good to see that he also looks a solid RB too. Quick feet for a defender, and a decent turn of pace when he needs it, but he doesn't looking entirely comfortable / confident using those attributes in the final third? Maybe that's just an experience thing though, and he's just been concentrating on not making a mistake in his first 20 odd prem games? Or maybe it's just the natural defender in him telling him not to push too high up the pitch and leave the team exposed (again, possibly because he thinks more like a CB than a RB)? Either way he seems to stop short of the 18 yard box a lot, and looks to pass or cross early instead of getting to the byline. Looks a talent though - far more mature than I thought he'd be...

Ollie the Optimist
30-07-2014, 10:21 AM
While 12 million might be a lot of money for someone relatively unknown, you can bet Arsene knows pretty much everything about him and also in an interview, Arsene said he signed him now because he expects his stock to rise big time and would be hugely expensive in 2/3 years time.

i'm liking this ruthless Arsene, see whats he wants, and gets it done. No pissing about

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-07-2014, 11:22 AM
The lad looks like a future CB to me, going by that clip, although it's good to see that he also looks a solid RB too. Quick feet for a defender, and a decent turn of pace when he needs it, but he doesn't looking entirely comfortable / confident using those attributes in the final third? Maybe that's just an experience thing though, and he's just been concentrating on not making a mistake in his first 20 odd prem games? Or maybe it's just the natural defender in him telling him not to push too high up the pitch and leave the team exposed (again, possibly because he thinks more like a CB than a RB)? Either way he seems to stop short of the 18 yard box a lot, and looks to pass or cross early instead of getting to the byline. Looks a talent though - far more mature than I thought he'd be...

Pretty much summed up how I felt about it too.

Nice to have a young potential CB in the ranks again. English too.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Chambers will be our JT.

Niall_Quinn
03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Chambers will be our JT.

We are short a racist, philandering thug, that's true. But DM is still the key position to fill.

AKBapologist
03-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Future CB?

I doubt Merts will start until this guy gets injured.

AKBapologist
03-08-2014, 10:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQBi_I9ow6o

Syn
03-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Top talent. Got what it takes for defensive mid.

selassie
04-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Thought he looked our best player over the 2 games. Plays with maturity way beyond his years, looks a talent.

bignev
04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Thought he looked our best player over the 2 games. Plays with maturity way beyond his years, looks a talent.

Good shout :)

Bumble
05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
We are short a racist, philandering thug, that's true. But DM is still the key position to fill.

:) don't worry give him time and he could grow into the role. rather he would become our Adams than JT....well minus the drinking

The Emirates Gallactico
27-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Being reported that he's going to get called up to the England squad tomorrow.

Hope he doesn't pick up any bad habits.

Syn
27-08-2014, 09:50 PM
He has officially made it. Bitches on tap.

Niall_Quinn
27-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Being reported that he's going to get called up to the England squad tomorrow.

Hope he doesn't pick up any bad habits.

Why don't those useless cunts just leave our players alone?

Syn
28-08-2014, 12:46 PM
If we don't sign one, I want to see this guy at DM. His weaknesses right now seem to be judging when to chase the ball and when to cover. He has got done a couple of times every game by being too aggressive. His strengths seem to be close control and finding a sharp pass, and quick interceptions. Think his physical strengths would come into play more. He has a presence that we lack there.

Niall_Quinn
28-08-2014, 12:55 PM
A call up for England is wrong in every way. Why don't these fuckers ever learn. Leave him to be the new boy at Arsenal finding his feet and picking up the experience he needs. Don't elevate him immediately so he jumps from prospect to International in the space of a few weeks. It's just stupid. Wankers are always chasing the "next" Terry or the "next" Rooney or the "next" whatever. It's just disruptive shit and interferes with the natural progression of the player. An England cap is worthless these days. Play one good game and you get selected by the media. Have one bad match and you get slaughtered. Same cunts that say he's ready then change their tune and say the opposite. They don't give a fuck about the player provided they get their column inches bashed out as a side note to their endless jollies. What a job, travel the world and a free pass to all the games just for having an opinion that's good for 24 hours.

Don't know where they get the idea that mingling with fucktards like Rooney is somehow good for careers. What do you get in return for a meaningless call up? Experience of going on a plane? Experience of wearing a different kit? Experience of having a bunch of hype written about you? How is that going to improve what a player does on the pitch?

Syn
28-08-2014, 01:01 PM
As I said in the other thread, England CBs have always been good. He'll be competing with players who are better than him. I don't see the harm in it, it's a confidence booster and he should learn a bit. Defensive players generally aren't hyped up by the media, it'll always be the attacking geniuses they're after.

The idea that the likes of Rooney and Terry are out to corrupt younger players isn't true. Their off the pitch antics are personality issues but on the pitch they're not lacking application or a competitive edge or they wouldn't be starting for their respective clubs right now. It's the same with Wilshere, off the pitch stuff seems completely separate. Managers like Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger don't put up with unprofessional players.