PDA

View Full Version : Our first eleven.

AKBapologist
03-08-2014, 09:58 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the season starts next weekend.

This is the 11 I'd take to wembley based on my observations this weekend, this would be the most in form side to start.

http://i.imgur.com/ks8mriL.png

Rosicky and Belerin would be on the bench

Long term, I think we should play like this.
http://i.imgur.com/NuQR73d.png

Obviously, Carvalho isn't an arsenal player, but that position represents the main weakness in our squad - namely, we don't have a CDM good enough to challenge for any of the big competitions. We don't have someone powerful enough, defensive enough, stable enough or composed enough to give our creative players the space to do what they do best. Fix that and we'll become very competitive, deadly on the counter with squad depth in our attacking positions to spare.

Our main weakness IMO, is actually at left back. Nacho Monreal is shocking. Bad defensively and going forward. Wave after wave of attacks came through his side and almost never did he prevent the cross. I'm sick of Gibbs being injured and Nacho being targeted, successfully in big games. If Vermeulen leaves, we buy a left back not a center back - hell we should get one anyway.

Beyond that, Wenger stated that we're going to play with one CDM, Wilshire should be pushing on to a more advanced position in general. Zelalem looked pretty good today in all honestly, and Bellerin showed more in 45 minutes yesterday than Nacho did all season.

Thoughts.

Singh
03-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I firmly believe Sanchez should not be used as a 4231 striker. For Barce he was mainly used as a right sided inside forward. He clearly thrives running with the ball towards goal, or making runs off the ball in behind another partner. Holding up the ball and linking play is clearly not Sanchez' game and yet a vital part of the formation we play. People make futile comparisons between him, Suarez and Aguero ignoring the fact those two are about 10kg heavier than him and thus clearly more powerful. I'd be open to him being used up top in a 442, but never in our current formation we use. He's closer to Arshavin than he is to Suarez, and we all remember what happened to Arshavin when he was left up front to rot, playing a position that didn't match his skill set.

Currently, only Giroud and Sanogo are our natural options up front. Ideally I'd like this addressed, but even Giroud flanked with the right players is pretty dangerous as he's shown before.

Giroud

Cazorla Ozil Sanchez

Ramsey Arteta

When Walcott is match fit in a few months time, him and Santi will be competing for a place in the team, with Sanchez swapping wing if necessary.

Arteta and Giroud are clear weaknesses. Unless they're addressed, I don't think we have much of a chance of winning the league if I'm honest.

AKBapologist
03-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Carzola on the left is gash tbh.

Power n Glory
04-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I firmly believe Sanchez should not be used as a 4231 striker. For Barce he was mainly used as a right sided inside forward. He clearly thrives running with the ball towards goal, or making runs off the ball in behind another partner. Holding up the ball and linking play is clearly not Sanchez' game and yet a vital part of the formation we play. People make futile comparisons between him, Suarez and Aguero ignoring the fact those two are about 10kg heavier than him and thus clearly more powerful. I'd be open to him being used up top in a 442, but never in our current formation we use. He's closer to Arshavin than he is to Suarez, and we all remember what happened to Arshavin when he was left up front to rot, playing a position that didn't match his skill set.

Currently, only Giroud and Sanogo are our natural options up front. Ideally I'd like this addressed, but even Giroud flanked with the right players is pretty dangerous as he's shown before.

Giroud

Cazorla Ozil Sanchez

Ramsey Arteta

When Walcott is match fit in a few months time, him and Santi will be competing for a place in the team, with Sanchez swapping wing if necessary.

Arteta and Giroud are clear weaknesses. Unless they're addressed, I don't think we have much of a chance of winning the league if I'm honest.

If Giroud plays anything close to how he played in the Emirates Cup, then we'll be seeing a lot more of Sanchez up front. We looked far better in the 2nd half compared to the first once Giroud was subbed off.

You don't need to be a physical beast to play up front. You'd have to see yesterday's game to see how the 1st half compared to the 2nd. Giroud doesn't provide an outlet and needs to get match fit quickly. Wenger wasn't impressed with him at all.

sibreen
04-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I'd be interested in seeing Walcott up front with Ox on the right, Sanchez left, and Ozil and Ramsey behind.

Bumble
04-08-2014, 12:48 PM
I'd be interested in seeing Walcott up front with Ox on the right, Sanchez left, and Ozil and Ramsey behind.
That would be a rather rapid front three although would lack physicality. But rather that than Giroud really. Ozil could come into his own as well by feeding through balls to each of them. Also it would open the game up as the oppo would need to drop deep and give our midfielders more space.

Still think we need to replace Arteta as he isn't going to get any better this season.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Anyone but Arteta.

fakeyank
04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
BFG does not start!? :O

AKBapologist
15-08-2014, 01:45 PM
4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1?

Syn
15-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Wenger teams in the last few years are set up like this:

----------------GK----------------

RB--------CB--------CB-------LB

--------absolute chaos----------

-----------------ST-----------------

Whether it's 1 holding 4 forward, 2 holding 3 forward or whatever, you have to make up your own mind. I'm guessing while Ozil's out, Wenger is going to play Wilshere alongside Arteta and let Ramsey do what he wants.

Marc Overmars
15-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Whatever the formation, Theo and Sanchez must play. Interchangable attacking options on either flank and they can also play central with Giroud if we need to change it up during a game.

fakeyank
15-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Chezza

Debuchy Kos Per Gibbs

Walcott Ozil Ramsey Santi

Sanchez

Giroud

Penguin
15-08-2014, 06:38 PM
------------Chesney--------------
---Debuchy--Merts--Kos--Gibbs---
-------- Arteta---Rambo----------
--------------Ozil----------------
-Sanchez------Giroud-------Theo-

I'd like to see Sanchez at CF first before I put him there in my XI, but he's definitely worth a try there. If it works we'll be laughing, if not we'll have to rely on the goals coming from wide and from Ramsey. Loads of options for the wide forward positions in Santi, Poldi, Campbell, and Ox. I think it's time to send Gnabbers out on loan as I don't think we can give him enough games this season.

Injury Time
15-08-2014, 07:54 PM
---- -------Chaznay

Debuchy ----Kos------ Gibbs

--------------Rosicky

------ -- Özil----Ramsey
Sanchez------------------------Ox

------Walcott

-----------Giroud

cheesy bites
16-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Against some cloggers in the mid table:

----------------------------------------Scz------------------------------------------
---Debuchy----------------Koscielny-----------Mertesacker-------------------Gibbs---
-------------------------------------Arteta------------------------------------------
Walcott------------------------Ramsey-----Wilshere---------------------------Sanchez
-----------------------------------Giroud---------------------------------------------

In the more open games:

----------------------------------------Scz------------------------------------------
---Debuchy----------------Koscielny-----------Mertesacker-------------------Gibbs---
-------------------------------------Arteta------------------------------------------
Walcott------------------------Ramsey-----Ozil------------------------------Oxlade--
-----------------------------------Sanchez---------------------------------------------