PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Joel Campbell being picked ahead of Sangogo?

Dicks and chicks
17-08-2014, 07:34 PM
What is Wenger playing at?

Syn
17-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Dunno. Wenger said he wants to hang on to him though and we're only one game in, so lets see. He might get a chance soon.

Marc Overmars
17-08-2014, 07:44 PM
He's going to be sold or more likely loaned out before the end of the window.

Injury Time
18-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Get his fitness back he ran himself into the ground at world cup. I imagine if he doesn't get sold he'll get a run in the cups this year.

Globalgunner
18-08-2014, 09:15 AM
When Wenger makes up his mind about a pet project. He goes about it with the single mindedness of a zealot. Criticising him or the player will just make him more adamant to prove everyone wrong.
He will continue to play Sanogo even when it is obvious to the blind that he isnt good enough. Fair play to Wenger he gives kids a chance, but shouldn't that be for special kids like Cesc?, Reyes. Instead he continued to play Eboue, Senderos, Djourou, even when they were costing us games and points. It all goes back to his personal philosophies and the absence of pressure on him to succeed. If your job was on the line, you wouldn't allow your subordinates to mess you up further. Campbell is a better player, Akpom probably too, but they wont get a look in until it is overwhelmingly and conclusively proven that Yaya wont make it, Sometime circa 2017, I think.

AFC Leveller
18-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Sanogo is Sunday league quality and i mean that. He doee not have anything about him that worries defenders. Campbell is more experienced and has scored goals in big leagues before so should be automatically ahead of Sanogo.

selassie
18-08-2014, 10:30 AM
I think Wenger sees Campbell as a wide forward ala Theo or Alexis, Sanogo is seen as a Centre Forward, essentially Giroud's number two.

Wenger obviously sees something in Sanogo, I kind of do too but I would prefer if he was developed away from our first team, ideally at another PL Club. IMO The problem we face at the moment is that Sanogo hasn't really shown enough promise/potential to be viewed as an attractive loan for another PL club so we are stuck with developing him in our first team.

FWIW, I do think he will come good, he reminds me of Ade when he first came here.

I am invisible
18-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah, like selassie says, if we're talking about a direct swap then it's probably just a simple case of the manager seeing them as two different types of forward; one CF, and one wide attacker. I suppose you could make the argument that we could have made an indirect swap, with Alexis playing CF, and Campbell taking Alexis's place in wide attack, but then you're getting into different types of CFs: a pacey, tricky runner vs a big target man - maybe they just anticipated Palace coming to sit back and defend in numbers, and opted for the big target man?

Dein-machine
18-08-2014, 11:06 AM
When Wenger makes up his mind about a pet project. He goes about it with the single mindedness of a zealot. Criticising him or the player will just make him more adamant to prove everyone wrong.
He will continue to play Sanogo even when it is obvious to the blind that he isnt good enough. Fair play to Wenger he gives kids a chance, but shouldn't that be for special kids like Cesc?, Reyes. Instead he continued to play Eboue, Senderos, Djourou, even when they were costing us games and points. It all goes back to his personal philosophies and the absence of pressure on him to succeed. If your job was on the line, you wouldn't allow your subordinates to mess you up further. Campbell is a better player, Akpom probably too, but they wont get a look in until it is overwhelmingly and conclusively proven that Yaya wont make it, Sometime circa 2017, I think.

:gp: - Absolutely spot on.

Dein-machine
18-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I think Wenger sees Campbell as a wide forward ala Theo or Alexis, Sanogo is seen as a Centre Forward, essentially Giroud's number two.

Wenger obviously sees something in Sanogo, I kind of do too but I would prefer if he was developed away from our first team, ideally at another PL Club. IMO The problem we face at the moment is that Sanogo hasn't really shown enough promise/potential to be viewed as an attractive loan for another PL club so we are stuck with developing him in our first team.

FWIW, I do think he will come good, he reminds me of Ade when he first came here.

If you're right, there lies the problem with our manager. Campbell could play wide but has shown at C.L level last year & at the world cup that he can do some damage as an out & out striker. What has Sonogo shown?
The kid is a million miles away from being able to compete in the P.L & do a service to the team.
I watched the benfica game in a bar in Turkey & I remember thinking "Fuck it" - Wenger will now be vindicated that he has bought this kid & will play him more, the Benfica defence was a joke & we don't play teams like that in the P.L. - he needs to go out on loan for a few years but to be honest I'm not sure he would improve any teams even in the Championship or Div 1.

Ollie the Optimist
18-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Im not sure what to make of Joel Campbell. In 117 appearances in club football, he has 17 goals. Hardly a prolific return. Yes he played well in the world cup and is probably better then Sanogo in terms of finishing, however I don't think his hold up play is. Our system is based around a hold up striker which Giroud does pretty well, and Sanogo does do this ok, he causes problems for defence, more because they haven't got a clue what he will do next and neither does he, but I don't think Campbell would do this, nor would Alexis or Theo. I can see Campbell replacing Podolski on the left, but he does have a lot to prove.

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Campbell may have a lot to prove but at least he's supplied basic proof of being a footballer. Sanogo has yet to do that. A rampaging, drunken, epileptic farmer could cause a lot of problems for defenders too and would provide almost as much randomness and unpredictability as Sanogo, but alcoholic, diseased farmers won't necessarily get you the goals you need to mount a title challenge.

Dicks and chicks
18-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Im not sure what to make of Joel Campbell. In 117 appearances in club football, he has 17 goals. Hardly a prolific return. Yes he played well in the world cup and is probably better then Sanogo in terms of finishing, however I don't think his hold up play is. Our system is based around a hold up striker which Giroud does pretty well, and Sanogo does do this ok, he causes problems for defence, more because they haven't got a clue what he will do next and neither does he, but I don't think Campbell would do this, nor would Alexis or Theo. I can see Campbell replacing Podolski on the left, but he does have a lot to prove.
He was very very young at Betis and didn't score many goals but they continued to play him so they must have seen something in him. Same for Olympiakos, you don't become a regular starter for the best team in Greece without having talent. Sangogo needs to be loaned out as soon as possible and Campbell deserves to be starting, few players at his ripe age get regular football 3 seasons running. Lets not forget that he has a prolific goalscoring record at all youth levels for costa rica

Dicks and chicks
18-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Campbell may have a lot to prove but at least he's supplied basic proof of being a footballer. Sanogo has yet to do that. A rampaging, drunken, epileptic farmer could cause a lot of problems for defenders too and would provide almost as much randomness and unpredictability as Sanogo, but alcoholic, diseased farmers won't necessarily get you the goals you need to mount a title challenge.

its really a joke that for the amount of quality we have in our midfield and defence that are striking options could be so bad. Does anyone remember a time in the last 14 years when arsenal had worse striking options then they do now?

Dein-machine
18-08-2014, 02:12 PM
its really a joke that for the amount of quality we have in our midfield and defence that are striking options could be so bad. Does anyone remember a time in the last 14 years when arsenal had worse striking options then they do now?

No - my grandad probably couldn't remember a worst choice of striking options for Arsenal ( if he wasn't dead ) - but I don't see him bringing anyone in - we'll never know if his unbelievable decision to not bolster the attack in Jan cost us the title last year.
people are talking about Sanchez & Walcot being pushed up top but they are not natural finishers or guys likely to bang a 12 yard header in from a cross. If we can't find anyone abroad & don't want to spend Cavani money I think a punt for Bonny woud have been worth a shout or even Jay Rodriguez.

Dicks and chicks
18-08-2014, 03:26 PM
No - my grandad probably couldn't remember a worst choice of striking options for Arsenal ( if he wasn't dead ) - but I don't see him bringing anyone in - we'll never know if his unbelievable decision to not bolster the attack in Jan cost us the title last year.
people are talking about Sanchez & Walcot being pushed up top but they are not natural finishers or guys likely to bang a 12 yard header in from a cross. If we can't find anyone abroad & don't want to spend Cavani money I think a punt for Bonny woud have been worth a shout or even Jay Rodriguez.

a 75 million punt?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
18-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Post of the year tbh

Dein-machine
18-08-2014, 03:49 PM
a 75 million punt?

who's worth £75 mill that I mentioned?

BOBN
18-08-2014, 05:51 PM
I notice that those whining in this thread are exactly the same lot in tears that Jenkinson has been facked off :haha:

Sanogos agent is a mug for not giving him the "lifelong gooner me" script.

Power n Glory
18-08-2014, 06:18 PM

That's where we're going wrong with our system. This obsession with finding some brute of a player up front, looking at physical attributes and hold up play instead of goal scoring ability and pace that scares the life out of defenders. We've moved away from what we had in Wright, Anelka and Henry and it's costing us. When RVP was fit for a season, we had a glimpse of what a top striker should be doing but now we're back to these big old lumps and it started with Adebayor, continued with Chamakh and now we're on to Giroud and Sanogo. Guys that have serious problems hitting the back of the net.

I don't see the harm in trying Sanchez or Walcott up front? What's the worse that can happen? When we played Walcott up top a couple of seasons back, he looked a menace and the tempo of the game was totally different. At worse, we play a little guy up front and he struggles like with what we saw when Theo played Bayern but is that any different to what we're seeing with these big guys we keep playing?

Niall_Quinn
18-08-2014, 08:18 PM
I notice that those whining in this thread are exactly the same lot in tears that Jenkinson has been facked off :haha:

Sanogos agent is a mug for not giving him the "lifelong gooner me" script.

That and the fact Jenkinson is ten times the player, despite the fact he's average.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-08-2014, 08:59 PM
We'll be all kinds of lucky if another prem team takes Sanogo and he plays enough games to make it worth while.

A loan club is actually really hard to predict for him but the learning shouldn't come at our expense as many have said and I still find it farcical he played against the best team in the world and one of the best teams in years only last season vs Bayern when he was even less ready than he is nnow........ and we seem more incensed that he played against Palace!

BOBN
18-08-2014, 11:29 PM
That and the fact Jenkinson is ten times the player, despite the fact he's average.
Youll see Jenkinson for what he is this season, if he gets a game.

At least Sanogo is younger. Jenkinson is the finished article tbh.

fakeyank
18-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Youll see Jenkinson for what he is this season, if he gets a game.

At least Sanogo is younger. Jenkinson is the finished article tbh.

Sanogo is younger by a year but he is not the finished article while Jenks is? I seriously hope he comes back and makes it at Arsenal. I bet you would leave GW by then and probably the world..

Niall_Quinn
19-08-2014, 12:26 AM
We'll be all kinds of lucky if another prem team takes Sanogo and he plays enough games to make it worth while.

A loan club is actually really hard to predict for him but the learning shouldn't come at our expense as many have said and I still find it farcical he played against the best team in the world and one of the best teams in years only last season vs Bayern when he was even less ready than he is nnow........ and we seem more incensed that he played against Palace!

He went from a massive meh signing to a long term injury to a curiosity to a novelty to a horrific realisation.

Power n Glory
19-08-2014, 07:52 AM
He has a hamstring injury so he should be out for a few weeks at least.

Özim
19-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Sanogo is dogshite, he should never be playing for us, I'm not sure how likely it is he'll ever score a goal for us in any game but a friendly, he's had enough opportunities to.

Xhaka Can’t
19-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Jenkinson's script has to be the best of all time. What with having generations before him sticking to it for decades.

Injury Time
19-08-2014, 08:43 AM
He has a hamstring injury so he should be out for a few weeks at least.
Thought you might have meant Joel given the thread title, but I see you mean...

ARSENAL 6
Y Sanogo Hamstring Injury no return date *
K Gibbs Muscular Injury no return date *
D Ospina Hip/Thigh Injury 31st Aug 14 *
S Gnabry Knee Injury no return date *
R Miyaichi Hamstring Injury no return date *
T Walcott ACL Knee Injury 20th Sep 14 *

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
19-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Only Wenger would persist with a striker that's scored 0 goals in 13 months.

Dicks and chicks
19-08-2014, 08:45 PM
honestly believe Campbell is the best striker at the club now. Giroud is just balls

adzzzbatch
19-08-2014, 08:46 PM
honestly believe Campbell is the best striker at the club now. Giroud is just balls

I don't think that Campbell isn't going to be with us much longer.

Dicks and chicks
19-08-2014, 08:47 PM
why sell our best striker though?

Dicks and chicks
19-08-2014, 08:48 PM
the day giroud leaves will be a great day for this club

Marc Overmars
19-08-2014, 09:02 PM

I have that feeling as well.

Deadline day loan move tbh.

No other reason why he hasn't been given a sniff in 2 matches when we were chasing a goal.

Niall_Quinn
19-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Inexplicable if it happens. The Sanogo thing isn't funny any more and needs to end. If Campbell's off then we need to sign a striker for sure.

Marc Overmars
19-08-2014, 09:12 PM
I reckon we didn't plan for Campbell to be involved this season, but because of his performances over the past year he's forced his way into consideration and Wenget doesn't know what to do now.

Gooner23
19-08-2014, 09:18 PM
When Sanogo and Giroud are stinking up the place we could at least give the lad a chance, even just a 20min cameo of the bench.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Not sure, it'll become clearer if we manage to have a game without an injury or sending off.

Injury Time
19-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Not sure, it'll become clearer if we manage to have a game without an injury or sending off.

So not going to get a chance then :(

Master Splinter
20-08-2014, 01:32 AM
I reckon we didn't plan for Campbell to be involved this season, but because of his performances over the past year he's forced his way into consideration and Wenget doesn't know what to do now.

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in Greece or at the World Cup. We've seen players who have had bad loan spells becoming excellent players and players who've done well on loan be ignored by Wenger. I'm sure he had his mind made up a while ago on what to do with Campbell.

As Maccy referred to, the first two matches have seen our sub options curbed by injuries and a red card. And he most likely won't be competing directly with Sanogo for a place anyway.

He could be one of those players that WUMger just doesn't give much of a chance too, but we should probably give it a few months before hysteria sets in.

Bumble
20-08-2014, 03:30 AM
I don't think he is a central striker so would more likely replace cazorla. Plus he had a good game against Uruguay then went quiet after that. He needs a loan to a PL club.

Giroud and sanogo are shut and won't win us the league. Need theo back so Alexis can play up front.

Bumble
20-08-2014, 03:31 AM
I don't think he is a central striker so would more likely replace cazorla. Plus he had a good game against Uruguay then went quiet after that. He needs a loan to a PL club.

Giroud and sanogo are shit and won't win us the league. Need theo back so Alexis can play up front.

mastermind84
20-08-2014, 03:47 AM
Sanogo is younger by a year but he is not the finished article while Jenks is? I seriously hope he comes back and makes it at Arsenal. I bet you would leave GW by then and probably the world..

its because Jenks is never going to get better.

Probably lost 2 million on him this year by him taking this loan.

BOBN
20-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Oh? Am I going on a trip? :patrice:

Last player I said was finished was Wilshere and look how that one turned out. Weve lost 20million on that boy (could still get 15m).

saintnickle
20-08-2014, 09:41 AM
why sell our best striker though?

For money why else.Last night was an ideal time to introduce campbell.Quick ,direct running with pace but for some reason wenger doesn't like him.In some of his interviews wenger states that he would like to keep him ,not will be keeping him which is strange as we know campbell wants to stay.Do we need to sell him to balance the books??cos if so all the talk about a 100m warchest is bollocks and we are back to our old ways of making money.If a team like arsenal can only spend 36m this window there is something seriously wrong with this club specially with all the revenue coming into the club.Why else would we be persevering with the likes of sanogo ,giroud and arteta.

Özim
20-08-2014, 09:44 AM
I think Campbell has something about him from what I've seen of him, very lively and can make things happen, wouldn't hurt to give him a chance been quite impressed with him.

Mystifies me why Wenger persists with a player like Sanogo though, he's not found the net yet and everytime he gets a chance fluffs it badly, I just can't see the potential with him.

Niall_Quinn
20-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Campbell is a solid player, the sort of striker you'd see at Fulham or West Ham or a top Championship team. He's direct, something we lack whenever Giroud or Sanogo are on the pitch. He's willing to take a few risks, he has enough pace, he has enough strength, he's got experience at club and International level. We should have better strikers than Campbell at Arsenal, but right now we don't - unless we're converting Alexis or Walcott (which will take time anyway). Considering Giroud can't be bothered to challenge for a header and Sanogo can't kick a ball straight and won't sit down and learn the offside rule, considering these two give us nothing up top right now, there's no reason not to play Campbell. On the surface it makes no sense at all to leave him on the sidelines while Sanogo blunders about or Giroud fluffs everything that comes hear him. There must be something weird going on behind the scenes or some sort of deal in the progress that will see Campbell on his way again. Real shame because he'd at least give us something right now, at a time when we have nothing in that position.

I am invisible
20-08-2014, 10:57 AM
There's actually an interesting option there, if we pick a front 3 of Alexis, Walcott and Campbell - all 3 can play wide, and all 3 can play through the middle, so you could end up with an attack where any one of them could end up as a CF or a winger at any moment? (Also worth noting that our two main play-makers, Ozil and Cazorla, can also play central or down either flank, albeit in a slightly less advanced way). We'd have to work a bit of structure into it somehow, so it doesn't become a total free-for-all, with our whole attack just doing whatever the hell they want, but we might be able to work with it with a bit of thought?

Xhaka Can’t
20-08-2014, 11:08 AM
A bit of thought never seems to come into it. Looking back over ten years ago, our success came about because Wenger assembled a team that was head and shoulders better than anyone else in the league. We then conspired to win about half the things we should have with that squad.

Bumble
22-08-2014, 08:43 PM
A bit of thought never seems to come into it. Looking back over ten years ago, our success came about because Wenger assembled a team that was head and shoulders better than anyone else in the league. We then conspired to win about half the things we should have with that squad.

that is an interesting idea, is did Wenger underachieve with the team he had. it was just before all the money bags arrived. We had Campbell, Cole, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp and Henry. 6 players who could get into any side. Some of the best players ever to play in the country. Yet couldn't make enough CL progress or retain a league title. I do believe that if that team played now, they would still win the league. You look back and they have everything power, pace, skill and goals from anywhere. We as fans were blessed and it will be generations til we see anything as good.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
22-08-2014, 09:24 PM
We most definitely underachieved in Europe and to say anything less would almost be a criticism of that lot of players.

Wenger's reluctance to knock his opponent out senseless when on top is probably why we didn't retain a title which we most definitely should have done.

And the only way you were going to retain a title when Ferguson was in the frame was by being absolutely relentlessly ruthless without letting up.

Kano
23-08-2014, 02:07 AM
What is Wenger playing at?
differing shades of average. what difference will it really make?

add giroud who is only a couple of grades above that and the problem upfront continues. there is always a gap in wenger's teams in recent years to sustain any long term challenge for the two big trophies.

Globalgunner
23-08-2014, 11:33 AM
differing shades of average. what difference will it really make?

add giroud who is only a couple of grades above that and the problem upfront continues. there is always a gap in wenger's teams in recent years to sustain any long term challenge for the two big trophies.
Wenger likes a challenge. That`s why when you look at every team we've had since 2006. He always had at least one player that handicaps the team and he plays them regardless. He`s either a masochist or a psychological terrorist.