PDA

View Full Version : January Transfer Speculation and Shit

Pages : [1] 2 3

Power n Glory
23-09-2014, 10:12 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/513777/Arsenal-AGREE-11m-deal-to-sign-Real-Madrid-star-Sami-Khedira

Here we go again.

It's probably BS like the Draxler stories floating around last year. Would be fantastic if true.

Munchies
23-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Kim Kallstrom with a fixed back?

:pray:

I am invisible
23-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Rabiot and Schar are sounding like strong possibilities...

Marc Overmars
23-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Khedira remains feasible, out of contract next year so he can talk to clubs from January. I'm starting to think he belongs in the knackers yard though.

A defender has to be the priority in January.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
23-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Nobody.

selassie
23-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Rabiot and Schar are sounding like strong possibilities...

Yeah they do sound like very realistic signings, both young with a fair bit of first team experience. They both have a lot of potential. I would be happy with signings those two.

I am invisible
23-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Yeah they do sound like very realistic signings, both young with a fair bit of first team experience. They both have a lot of potential. I would be happy with signings those two.
Schar should be ready to go straight into the side - he's young, but he'll have a couple of years of CL experience under his belt by January, and will likely be a multiple domestic league champion with Basle (for whatever that's worth).

I'm intrigued by this Rabiot kid - looking purely at attributes, he ticks a lot of boxes. Couldn't say how consistent he is yet (based on the few clips I've seen), but he looks like he has a good frame on him, with good mobility and strong passing - in particular, he looks like he's capable of launching a quick, accurate long pass, which is something that could be really useful to us with the pace that we now have in the side (and is an option that I don't feel that we're currently taking advantage of). I've heard him likened to Petit in that respect, and that sounds just fine to me.

Long-term, I'd love to see us bring in a couple of DMs like Rabiot and Carvalho, as we phase out Flamini and Arteta, but I suppose that's just being greedy *sigh*

selassie
23-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Schar should be ready to go straight into the side - he's young, but he'll have a couple of years of CL experience under his belt by January, and will likely be a multiple domestic league champion with Basle (for whatever that's worth).

I'm intrigued by this Rabiot kid - looking purely at attributes, he ticks a lot of boxes. Couldn't say how consistent he is yet (based on the few clips I've seen), but he looks like he has a good frame on him, with good mobility and strong passing - in particular, he looks like he's capable of launching a quick, accurate long pass, which is something that could be really useful to us with the pace that we now have in the side (and is an option that I don't feel that we're currently taking advantage of). I've heard him likened to Petit in that respect, and that sounds just fine to me.

Long-term, I'd love to see us bring in a couple of DMs like Rabiot and Carvalho, as we phase out Flamini and Arteta, but I suppose that's just being greedy *sigh*

Yep, Schar could definitely do a job now. He's quite versatile too, from what I remember reading of him he can cover the full-back position, Wenger loves versatile players so he pretty much ticks all the boxes. I have seen Schar a few times in CL and he looks a decent enough talent.

From what I have seen of Rabiot he seems like a deep lying playmaker, he has massive potential, potentially world class IMO. Admittedly I haven't seen him loads but whenever I have seen him for PSG in CL he has looked very good, more than held his own in their team. He ticks a lot of boxes, is technical, a good passer, fairly mobile for a big lad and strong in the tackle. He's not fully ready yet but give it a season or two and he could be a star. He kind of reminds me of Pogba before he broke through.

KSE Comedy Club
23-09-2014, 03:32 PM
We don't need khedira, diaby is back! :coffee:

I am invisible
23-09-2014, 03:37 PM
LANS :bow:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
24-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm hearing Wenger wants to spend but the board won't give him any money

:haha:

Bumble
25-09-2014, 07:11 AM
don't think we will sign anyone, unless there are a lot of defensive injuries at the time. I dont think wenger will believe he will need to strengthen as we would be comfortably in 3rd place in the CL knock out and 5th round of the FA Cup.

Japan Shaking All Over
29-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Is the free agent market still open.....surely we have to scrape the barrel for someone wot with all the injuries.....

fakeyank
30-09-2014, 06:28 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/olivier-giroud-signs-new-80000aweek-deal-with-arsenal-30625910.html

Wage going to be higher than Chelsea. Wenger running out of excuses for the shit he produces for 8 million quid a year! #StealingALiving

Özim
30-09-2014, 06:39 PM
F*ck me, quite how it's higher than Chelsea's I don't know, half of this squad is a bunch of losers.

fakeyank
30-09-2014, 06:52 PM
We have a lot of youngsters who are probably on high wages. Sanogo is one that comes to mind! Bendy, Chu were examples from last season.

Dicks and chicks
30-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Kim Kallstrom with a fixed back?

:pray:
he was quite good in the few minutes he played for us actually in one of the few games he played he was our best player

Marc Overmars
30-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I find it difficult to believe our wage bill could be higher than Chelsea's but if it is the case then I'm afraid we all might as well pack up and go home. :rose:

Bumble
30-09-2014, 08:05 PM
I find it difficult to believe our wage bill could be higher than Chelsea's but if it is the case then I'm afraid we all might as well pack up and go home. :rose:
£180m wage bill what!!!!as has been said before how is that even possible. do we go to each new signing and say hey we wont win the league or champions league but finish top 4 each season and the player says no and then we go there is £100k a week in it for you and they go ok. I am here to win trophies.

The Emirates Gallactico
30-09-2014, 08:42 PM
A lot of Chelsea's wage bill is off the books due to the sheer number of talented youngsters they put out on loan, which isn't factored in that report. It also doesn't factor in bonuses or consider image rights (which we always pay for). They're still a long way ahead of us - don't believe that article.

You also need to place it in the context of Chelsea spending big for countless years whereas we've only started last year. It'll probably take another year for us to plug in the gaps and accumulate the same breadth of WC players in every position as they have.

That being said, it's pretty much established that money isn't the inhibiting factor anymore to any success. It's management and tactical issues which can be rectified without spending millions right now. Really, Us, Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City are all now at a level where we're supremely above the clubs below us and should be competing for top honours every year.

AFC Leveller
08-10-2014, 07:22 AM
El Confidencial is a Spanish broadsheet newspaper that often has transfer scoops before anyone else.

For example, El Confidencial were the first (to our knowledge) to report Diego Costa had signed for Chelsea, long before the Blues did tie up the deal.

Today, the Spanish newspaper claims that Arsene Wenger rejected an offer from Bayern Munich for Mesut Ozil during the summer.

According to journalist Enrique Marín, Arsene Wenger refused to sell Ozil despite the fact he had under performed during his first season at the Emirates.

Marin claims that Wenger was in a position to sell Ozil to Bayern Munich and bring Cesc Fabregas back to the Emirates, before the Spanish playmaker signed for Chelsea.

He adds that it was “pride” that prevented Wenger from selling Ozil to Bayern and buying back Fabregas for what now looks like a scandalously low fee of 27 million euros.

Bayern have long chased Ozil, since his days at Werder Bremen and Pep Guardiola was keen on the German international during his time as Barcelona coach.

There are even suggestions in El Confidencial that Wenger’s decision not to bring back Fabregas and persist with Ozil is affecting team selection.

At Chelsea on Sunday, Santi Cazorla, Jack Wilshere and Alexis Sanchez were all substituted whilst Ozil, anonymous for much of the match, remained on the pitch for Arsenal.

Finally, Marin describes the decision to hold on to Ozil and allow Fabregas to join Chelsea, as “incomprehensible.”

Many Arsenal fans would probably agree…

McNamara That Ghost...
08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
:rolleyes:

So quick on the pulse they've posted a Summer transfer rumour in October.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Many Arsenal fans would probably agree…

That's as speculative as the article itself.

Chavs vs Arsenal - Cesc v. Özil

90 - Touches by Cesc today (led Chelsea)
78 - Touches by Özil today (2nd on Arsenal, Gibbs led both teams with 93 touches)
61 - Passes by Cesc today (led all players)
46 – Passes by Özil today (third on Arsenal)
25 - Passes in the final third by Özil today (led all players)
18 - Passes in the final third by Cesc today
2 - Key passes by Cesc today
3 – Key passes by Özil today
6 - Dribbles by Özil today (of 12, led both teams)
0 - Dribbles by Cesc today (of 1)
4 – Tackles by Cesc today (of 10)
0 – Tackles by Özil today (of 1)
1 - Assists by Cesc today
1 – Assists by Özil this season
1 – Tackle by Welbeck on Cesc that came far too late in the game
1 – Handball by Cesc which should have been a penalty

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/10/chelsea-2-0-arsenal-by-the-numbers/

Lazy, uncommitted, anonymous performance by Ozil? Only in lazy media la-la land. If Fabregas is suddenly the best thing since Yaya Toure was the best thing since something else, then Ozil isn't the worst thing since Jack was the worst thing since Ramsey.

All of it is made up media bullshit.

EDIT: Ozil is being slaughtered by the media for not being a good tackler, not chasing up and down the pitch like a Cattermole and losing when he gets in a PL speciality punch-up. This is a marquee player, a Rolls Royce that suddenly finds himself in a chav inspired stock car rally. But what he's here to do he still does well. Unsurprisingly he's not so good at the things he has never done, wasn't bought to do and probably will never do. We could try using him properly, that has worked in the past so it's worth a shot.

AFC Leveller
08-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Cesc has 7 assists though!

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Cesc has 7 assists though!

AND?

The assist relies on the guy you pass to doing something with the ball. Ozil led Fabregas in passes in the final third and key passes - that's what we pay him to do isn't it? Now we need to work on the guys he's passing to NOT having a crappy first touch, NOT blasting it wide, NOT refusing to shoot in the first place. It's a team game, grabbing these single stats out of context and saying player x is better than player y has no validity. Ozil probably had 7 assists by this stage last season. But according to the media he was still shit. It's media hype, not reality. Nothing wrong with Ozil at all, everything wrong with how Wenger picks a team and strategy.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Yes, indeed. We all need to re-educated on what to look for when watching a World Class attacking midfielder. :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 09:33 AM
PSG midfielder Yohan Cabaye has admitted he is frustrated with his bit-part role in the French champions' side under Laurent Blanc.
The former Newcastle United man, who moved to Ligue 1 last January for £19million, played just 15 minutes of the 1-1 draw with Monaco at the weekend, and hasn't been at the forefront of Blanc's mind.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2784759/Yohan-Cabaye-admits-frustrated-lack-playing-time-PSG-Premier-League-clubs-alert.html#ixzz3FXoGbB9L

What do these arseholes expect when they move to comedy clubs like PSG? No sympathy for the greedy mercenary bastard and despite what the article speculates I hope he's not coming anywhere near us.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Yes, indeed. We all need to re-educated on what to look for when watching a World Class attacking midfielder. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying EVERYONE should laugh at the bullshit being pumped out by a sensationalist bunch of cunts who have a weekly hype cycle designed to keep them stealing a living. Obviously you're an exception and I have no problems at all with you lapping it all up as if it's real.

AFC Leveller
08-10-2014, 09:37 AM
AND?

The assist relies on the guy you pass to doing something with the ball. Ozil led Fabregas in passes in the final third and key passes - that's what we pay him to do isn't it? Now we need to work on the guys he's passing to NOT having a crappy first touch, NOT blasting it wide, NOT refusing to shoot in the first place. It's a team game, grabbing these single stats out of context and saying player x is better than player y has no validity. Ozil probably had 7 assists by this stage last season. But according to the media he was still shit. It's media hype, not reality. Nothing wrong with Ozil at all, everything wrong with how Wenger picks a team and strategy.

Ozil looks bored/disnterested and is barged off the ball way too easily. That is not the manager's fault, its down to the player to give a fuck and grow a pair.

playing him wide, yes that is Wenger being wenger but even when Cazorla went off Ozil still gave the ball away and just kept fucking up.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Ozil looks bored/disnterested and is barged off the ball way too easily. That is not the manager's fault, its down to the player to give a fuck and grow a pair.

playing him wide, yes that is Wenger being wenger but even when Cazorla went off Ozil still gave the ball away and just kept fucking up.

That happened twice didn't it? And it was specially highlighted each time. But he also took on chavs and beat them, played in the wide man several times, for the vast majority of the time retained possession. You can't be disinterested and put out numbers like those above. Not unless the gap between disinterested and greatest world hero of the world ever (aka Fabreags) is paper thin. Criticise for mistakes by all means, same as praise is due for successes, but everyone slagging his general game basically don't know what the hell they are talking about. It's a meme that has been pushed by the media. Pure fantasy but a fun story to run with. Jack was dispossessed, had one of his busiest but least productive games in a while and the media are accepting he's "back". Bullshit, he played better in matches they slagged him out for. Santi was our best player, Neil Ashton reckons he wasn't in the game - 5.5/10, less than Flamini who was hapless but because he barged around doing those things Ozil doesn't do (flying into tackles which he doesn't win anyway, elbowing people in the face, getting stupid yellows all the time) he's supposedly had a good game. Depends what people want to see I suppose. The media like good honest English lads, charging around the place putting their dirty slag fouls in and diving all over the place. Rooney, Gerrard, these are hero players. Ozil? Shit. Doesn't like a punch up. Can't run in such a way to generate the heat blobs they love, doesn't scream and shout and do a John Terry when he's on the pitch. That's essentially what they are accusing him of lacking because the stats show their bullshit about him being anonymous is simply that, bullshit.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm not saying EVERYONE should laugh at the bullshit being pumped out by a sensationalist bunch of cunts who have a weekly hype cycle designed to keep them stealing a living. Obviously you're an exception and I have no problems at all with you lapping it all up as if it's real.

Yes, I prefer to laugh at the bullshit you write to be honest.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Yes, I prefer to laugh at the bullshit you write to be honest.

Not in the least surprised, I do crazy, laughable shit like stick up for our players when they get slaughtered by a thoroughly biased media. I'm a joke.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Not in the least surprised, I do crazy, laughable shit like stick up for our players when they get slaughtered by a thoroughly biased media. I'm a joke.

You go, Internet Warrior! More power to you.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 10:05 AM
You go, Internet Warrior! More power to you.

Arsenal fan discussion forum. Me, discussing, being a fan, etc. You?

AFC Leveller
08-10-2014, 10:14 AM
That happened twice didn't it? And it was specially highlighted each time. But he also took on chavs and beat them, played in the wide man several times, for the vast majority of the time retained possession. You can't be disinterested and put out numbers like those above. Not unless the gap between disinterested and greatest world hero of the world ever (aka Fabreags) is paper thin. Criticise for mistakes by all means, same as praise is due for successes, but everyone slagging his general game basically don't know what the hell they are talking about. It's a meme that has been pushed by the media. Pure fantasy but a fun story to run with. Jack was dispossessed, had one of his busiest but least productive games in a while and the media are accepting he's "back". Bullshit, he played better in matches they slagged him out for. Santi was our best player, Neil Ashton reckons he wasn't in the game - 5.5/10, less than Flamini who was hapless but because he barged around doing those things Ozil doesn't do (flying into tackles which he doesn't win anyway, elbowing people in the face, getting stupid yellows all the time) he's supposedly had a good game. Depends what people want to see I suppose. The media like good honest English lads, charging around the place putting their dirty slag fouls in and diving all over the place. Rooney, Gerrard, these are hero players. Ozil? Shit. Doesn't like a punch up. Can't run in such a way to generate the heat blobs they love, doesn't scream and shout and do a John Terry when he's on the pitch. That's essentially what they are accusing him of lacking because the stats show their bullshit about him being anonymous is simply that, bullshit.

His stats for the Chelsea game were average and i dont think we can use them as evidence he's performing because he simply isnt. The ability he has is there for all to see but he reminds me of Arshavin post that Liverpool game where he just turned into a lazy guy with the odd decent game here and there.

Just look at Silva at City, very similar to Ozil and comes from la liga, he struggled when he first got here and lokked weak and not up to it but he bulked up and today he is probably the best number 10 in the league. Fans are rightly questioning Ozil's effort and desire and he has to step up. His performances in the big games he's played for us (15 or so) have all been simply NOT good enough. His first real big game for us was man u away last season where he played in the middle but was anonymous then too.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
If Silva is the best then a disinterested Ozil runs him fairly close.
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/mesut_özil/126/126/123/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/david_silva/126/126/308/0/p#total_score/attack_score/possession_score/total_passes/pass_completion/key_passes/assists/chances_created/successful_take_ons/goals_scored/total_shots/shot_accuracy#total

The myth of him being disinterested and lazy just doesn't hold up. He doesn't have a hustle, bustle, blood and guts style of play. He's languid, composed, controlled, is that what people are mistaking for lazy?

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Arsenal fan discussion forum. Me, discussing, being a fan, etc. You?

:lol: Come better than that. When Walcott was out of favour you weren't spouting that. Same applies for Sanogo and Monreal.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 10:28 AM
:lol: Come better than that. When Walcott was out of favour you weren't spouting that. Same applies for Sanogo and Monreal.

You mean better than "Internet Warrior?" I'll try.

Walcott was being a greedy bastard and I said as much. Sanogo - come on, seriously? I didn't say I'd be leaping for joy if we ditched the team and hired the lads from a local pub. Monreal, maybe you have a point. It's more Wenger's fault he can't see how susceptible the player is to a pacey attacker.

Penguin
08-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Why is Wenger playing Ozil out of position? If you're trying to play someone into form, play him in his best position so he can get his confidence back and not screw up our whole system and formation. If not then leave him on the bench instead of trying to force him into the team.

Ozil doesn't help himself, he needs to get more involved. I don't mean that he should be ball chasing donkey, but he needs to get on the ball more and to play a more active role in breaking down teams. If he's not happy with the movement and runs his team mates are making he should let them know in training and work on it so he can find them in goalscoring positions more consistently. He's one of the best in the world at spotting and delivering the killer pass but clearly it's not happening at Arsenal so something needs to change. Wenger doesn't seem to know how to so the players need to add their input.

The worrying thing is that even though we've added pace to our front line with the signings of Alexis and Welbeck, we're still not getting in behind teams. Obviously that's hard to do when teams put everyone behind the ball, but Wenger hasn't come up with an answer to it. We're still playing the same slow, predictable and ineffective tippy-tappy football that hasn't worked against these buses in the past. We have the likes of Alexis and Ox that can beat players and open up space but we still huff and puff and struggle to create chances.

Injury Time
08-10-2014, 10:53 AM
If Silva is the best then a disinterested Ozil runs him fairly close.
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/mesut_özil/126/126/123/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/david_silva/126/126/308/0/p#total_score/attack_score/possession_score/total_passes/pass_completion/key_passes/assists/chances_created/successful_take_ons/goals_scored/total_shots/shot_accuracy#total

The myth of him being disinterested and lazy just doesn't hold up. He doesn't have a hustle, bustle, blood and guts style of play. He's languid, composed, controlled, is that what people are mistaking for lazy?

Could you explain the attack and possession stats, and the large difference in your example?

Wonder what his stats would be like if added a bit of hussle, against City the thyroxin levels were right for about 5 mins and he really broke them up by getting in the mix (I'm not talking two-footed lunges, just nicking the ball, shutting down etc), result we scored. We keep getting the odd flash of his fancy feet, but a lot of the time the lack of effort on the wing is frustrating, however how much is that down to instruction from Wenger telling him to conserve energy, as I've noticed similar recently with Ox and historically Theo (remember him). The lack of subbing Özil feels like the Ramsay approach to play into form, and our inability to have a settled midfield with Özil played in position isn't helping.

AFC Leveller
08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Why is Wenger playing Ozil out of position? If you're trying to play someone into form, play him in his best position so he can get his confidence back and not screw up our whole system and formation. If not then leave him on the bench instead of trying to force him into the team.

Ozil doesn't help himself, he needs to get more involved. I don't mean that he should be ball chasing donkey, but he needs to get on the ball more and to play a more active role in breaking down teams. If he's not happy with the movement and runs his team mates are making he should let them know in training and work on it so he can find them in goalscoring positions more consistently. He's one of the best in the world at spotting and delivering the killer pass but clearly it's not happening at Arsenal so something needs to change. Wenger doesn't seem to know how to so the players need to add their input.

The worrying thing is that even though we've added pace to our front line with the signings of Alexis and Welbeck, we're still not getting in behind teams. Obviously that's hard to do when teams put everyone behind the ball, but Wenger hasn't come up with an answer to it. We're still playing the same slow, predictable and ineffective tippy-tappy football that hasn't worked against these buses in the past. We have the likes of Alexis and Ox that can beat players and open up space but we still huff and puff and struggle to create chances.

I agre with the last paragraph re playing in behind teams and i think the problem is two fold, one is that its diffuclt to to do so when teams like Chelsea sit back and stay disciplined and the other issue is that our system never changes no matter who we play.

Against Galatasary we scored a couple of goals by going behind them but they were shit and gave us the kind of space that not many PL teams will and thats when the manager needs to come with something clever and open up teams.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Could you explain the attack and possession stats, and the large difference in your example?

I'd surmise it's a classic demonstration of how he's wasted playing wide. Silva can go left or right from his position, Ozil is often penned wide playing short or triangles with the full back and/ or central player who has come to support. Classic Wenger. The gypos know how to utilise Silva. We don't seem to have a clue how to do the same with Ozil (and now Welbeck too).

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I agre with the last paragraph re playing in behind teams and i think the problem is two fold, one is that its diffuclt to to do so when teams like Chelsea sit back and stay disciplined and the other issue is that our system never changes no matter who we play.

That's why you have to have supporting forwards making the runs that will drag the defence out of shape. And in Alexis, Ox, now Welbeck and hopefully soon Walcott we have those players. But they are all engaged in a tight passing game that plods left, then plods right, then plods left again. It's child's play for a decent defence to shut that down.

EDIT: watch some highlights of Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Overmars all the way back to Anelka (especially Anelka). When we'd break out we'd do it as pace as a unit, 3 or 4 forward players storming up the pitch with the opposition defence going left, right, falling over their own feet. 15-20 seconds from back to front and into the net. This was when defenders could still kick you up in the air with little fear of being carded. We never dreamed of holding it up and playing it backwards like we do today. We never gave the opposition a chance to press, it was all over before they knew what was happening. Remember when we used to love the opposition getting a corner, because we knew we'd be up the other end in seconds?

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 11:08 AM
You mean better than "Internet Warrior?" I'll try.

Walcott was being a greedy bastard and I said as much. Sanogo - come on, seriously? I didn't say I'd be leaping for joy if we ditched the team and hired the lads from a local pub. Monreal, maybe you have a point. It's more Wenger's fault he can't see how susceptible the player is to a pacey attacker.

It was more than the contract. You were saying he was no good as a footballer, but whatever. Just a bit rich of you to now try and pull on the number 1 fan T-shirt and preach to me about criticism.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
It was more than the contract. You were saying he was no good as a footballer, but whatever. Just a bit rich of you to now try and pull on the number 1 fan T-shirt and preach to me about criticism.

Didn't pull the #1 fan, just pulled the fan who doesn't have to kill everything about the club all the time thing. I don't think Ozil has hit the heights he did in Madrid - no way. But this constant crap he's getting is ludicrous and it's driven by the media and some of our fans have fallen for it hook, line, sinker. The media will go as far as to single him out for criticism after Germany whack Brazil 7-1 FFS. If that's not an agenda then what is? I'm not buying it. I'm not saying he's been better than Fabregas or Silva. He hasn't, or at least he hasn't had a bigger impact on the results. But he's nowhere near being the failed player some are making out.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-10-2014, 11:18 AM
:popcorn:

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Yes, I was saying he was a maddeningly inconsistent player - and he was. Then he had a good season and I said he had a good season. But I was basing it on his performances, not what the media said. IN fact now it's quite exciting to think about how he will be integrated into a team containing Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck and an ever improving Ox. Exciting to "think" about it because Wenger will find a way to make it all pointless anyway. As he's doing with players like Ozil.

Niall_Quinn
08-10-2014, 11:21 AM
:popcorn:

No, I'm not going to get involved in one of those PnG 64 page ordeals, so move along.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 11:56 AM

:gp:

It really is a worry that we're still not breaking teams down. I thought at least with Sanchez and Welbeck added into the team we'd start stretching teams a little more but it's just not happening.

You're right about Ozil as well. There is no point in playing him wide so he can drift in field. It just makes things more congested. We had the same sort of problem years ago when we played without wingers. The Nasri and Arshavin years, Hleb and Rosicky days....after so many attempts, I don't know why Wenger keeps trying this when it hasn't once been successful over a season.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Against Galatasary we scored a couple of goals by going behind them but they were shit and gave us the kind of space that not many PL teams will and thats when the manager needs to come with something clever and open up teams.

Galatasaray were playing 3 at the back and they were very disorganised. You're right, we're unlikely to see such generosity in the Prem.

The Emirates Gallactico
08-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I hate to do the old compare him with a similar player at your rivals, but Ozil needs to start looking at David Silva and the impact he has at Man City to see what he needs to start producing for us.

Very similar players and he gets regularly shunned out wide as Pellegrini plays two up front and yet still conspires to always get on the ball and be involved in their play. Regularly their best player.

I agree that behind the striker is his best position but he has to be more flexible and realise that someone as talented as him can make a significant contribution in a wide position. The team doesn't revolve around him.

By the way Ozil is apparently injured. Got a knock on his knee and is awaiting a scan on it. Whatever you think of his recent performances the last thing we need is another injury.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Yes, I was saying he was a maddeningly inconsistent player - and he was. Then he had a good season and I said he had a good season. But I was basing it on his performances, not what the media said. IN fact now it's quite exciting to think about how he will be integrated into a team containing Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck and an ever improving Ox. Exciting to "think" about it because Wenger will find a way to make it all pointless anyway. As he's doing with players like Ozil.

It would be nice if you stopped assuming I read the papers everyday and form an opinion based off what they say. ;) If I were that gullible, I’d have bought into the ‘Theo has no footballing brain’ bollocks. What makes you think I’m not basing my opinion on Ozil from his performances?

Injury Time
08-10-2014, 02:02 PM
It would be nice if you stopped assuming I read the papers everyday and form an opinion based off what they say. ;) If I were that gullible, I’d have bought into the ‘Theo has no footballing brain’ bollocks. What makes you think I’m not basing my opinion on Ozil from his performances?

He's gone missing for the next 10-12 weeks so he will have the same performance as Theo then :(

Dein-machine
08-10-2014, 02:24 PM
That's why you have to have supporting forwards making the runs that will drag the defence out of shape. And in Alexis, Ox, now Welbeck and hopefully soon Walcott we have those players. But they are all engaged in a tight passing game that plods left, then plods right, then plods left again. It's child's play for a decent defence to shut that down.

EDIT: watch some highlights of Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Overmars all the way back to Anelka (especially Anelka). When we'd break out we'd do it as pace as a unit, 3 or 4 forward players storming up the pitch with the opposition defence going left, right, falling over their own feet. 15-20 seconds from back to front and into the net. This was when defenders could still kick you up in the air with little fear of being carded. We never dreamed of holding it up and playing it backwards like we do today. We never gave the opposition a chance to press, it was all over before they knew what was happening. Remember when we used to love the opposition getting a corner, because we knew we'd be up the other end in seconds?

yes - those were the days. Now its totally the opposite - I shit myself every time we get a corner. Are we allowed to simply hand the ball back for a goal kick?

AFC Leveller
08-10-2014, 02:25 PM
I hate to do the old compare him with a similar player at your rivals, but Ozil needs to start looking at David Silva and the impact he has at Man City to see what he needs to start producing for us.

Very similar players and he gets regularly shunned out wide as Pellegrini plays two up front and yet still conspires to always get on the ball and be involved in their play. Regularly their best player.

I agree that behind the striker is his best position but he has to be more flexible and realise that someone as talented as him can make a significant contribution in a wide position. The team doesn't revolve around him.

By the way Ozil is apparently injured. Got a knock on his knee and is awaiting a scan on it. Whatever you think of his recent performances the last thing we need is another injury.

Thats what i was alluding to earlier. Silva looks dynamic, energetic and full of tricks whenever i see him and as you say when he plays wide he manages to effect the game just as well.

Power n Glory
08-10-2014, 02:34 PM
He's gone missing for the next 10-12 weeks so he will have the same performance as Theo then :(

Played into the ground. There needs to be an internal investigation with all these injuries. It's unbelievable but not!

Marc Overmars
08-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Thats what i was alluding to earlier. Silva looks dynamic, energetic and full of tricks whenever i see him and as you say when he plays wide he manages to effect the game just as well.

Difference is he's not as precious as our Mesut and thrives on responsibility.

As frustrated as I am about the injury situation at the club overall, I don't think we're going to miss Ozil much. Hopefully he comes back fitter and hungrier because I don't think he's been an effective player for us at all.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-10-2014, 03:19 PM
We didn't need Cesc :haha: :haha: :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
08-10-2014, 03:32 PM
The decision not to activate the clause in our transfer agreement with Barca is the most bone-headed decision our Club has made in living memory.

Penguin
08-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Not really, Arsenal fans have been having a go at Wenger for years for stockpiling CAMs instead of buying in the positions we need players in. For once he didn't do the first part.

The boneheaded decision was not doing the second part of that sentence - buying a top striker and DM. If we did that nobody would give a second thought about missing out on Cesc.

Marc Overmars
08-10-2014, 06:26 PM
When a player of unquestionable ability is available - you sign him and make room.

Ironically we signed Ozil despite having a few creative outlets already here, unfortunately we weren't to know he was a bit of a sloth.

Penguin
08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
You sign the players in the positions you need first, unless you have a Russian/Arab billionaire that will buy you both. It wouldn't make that big of a difference if we had Cesc in this squad because we'd still have the same glaring holes. If we bought Costa up top it would make a world of difference. If we bought William Carvalho at DM it would make a world of difference. Buy both and you have a team capable of challenging for titles.

I said the exact same thing when we were first linked with Ozil. Why spend big money on a position you're well stocked in if it's at the expense of a position that genuinely needs strengthening? Of course, not strengthening at all clearly isn't the answer either, but WUMger's gonna WUM...

The other option would have been to sell Ozil to fund the Cesc move, but we've never made those Real Madrid esque reactive transfers before :shrug:

Xhaka Can’t
08-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Fabregas was/is better, far better than anyone we have. We could have had him at a knock down price and sold at least one of the players he was better than. Ozil to Bayern would have been a no-brainer.

BOBN
09-10-2014, 09:42 AM
CABAYE UNHAPPY AT PSG?
We bloody love Yohan Cabaye. He's good-looking, seems a nice chap and is bloody good at making passing a football look really sodding easy. The day he left for pastures Parisian was a sad day indeed for the Premier League.

The good news, although perhaps not for Cabaye, is that the midfielder is now reportedly growing disillusioned with life at PSG, with Cabaye having to make do with a place on the bench more often than not. Having Marco Verratti, Blaise Matuidi and Thiago Motta at the club will do that, with Adrien Rabiot and Clement Chantome also increasing competition for places.

In an interview with L'Equipe, Cabaye said: "You have to accept being a substitute, but I don't resign myself to that. When I am on the pitch, I feel it is not perfect and that I often have to leave too soon. But I know the coach and staff have to make choices and I respect that.

"Am I completely happy? To be honest, no. It is a new situation for me, but I don't complain. It is the first time I haven't played regularly for my club.

"Do I sometimes miss England? Yes. Sometimes I think about it, but I immediately sweep that away because it would cause distraction."

Woah there Yohan, stop sweeping for a minute. Please come back. You could play for Arsenal, and if you time it right you could sustain the inevitable three-month injury to coincide with the summer break and miss no football.
Must get.

Hes Fabregas 2.0. Cesc with bite.

Best midfielder in England at time of leaving.

He could play DM, he could play next to a DM, he could play in front of 2 DMs.

We know Wenger rates him, wanted him before Ozil. Hes better than Ozil. We could do a swap plus cash.

Lets go :ladynana:

AFC Leveller
09-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Fabregas was/is better, far better than anyone we have. We could have had him at a knock down price and sold at least one of the players he was better than. Ozil to Bayern would have been a no-brainer.

Agreed.

Ballague (who isnt the most popular over here) said that Cesc would have ended up at Arsenal had Wenger wanted him and player himself said that we rejected him.

Its odd because Wenger once said that Cesc wa shis biggest achievement in terms of players his brought in and he loved the guy.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
09-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Yeah but we don't need him

selassie
09-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Not really, Arsenal fans have been having a go at Wenger for years for stockpiling CAMs instead of buying in the positions we need players in. For once he didn't do the first part.

The boneheaded decision was not doing the second part of that sentence - buying a top striker and DM. If we did that nobody would give a second thought about missing out on Cesc.

Wenger will always leave us short, he has a history of doing this. Its pretty much the primary reason why he needs to go.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-11-2014, 03:04 PM
I made a case for Cesc being better than Ozil just after Ozil had signed for us when we were wetting ourselves about it and some ridiculed my case........and there weren't too many on here in agreement with the view at the time.

I also remember Sing talking up Sissoko at Newcastle after they signed him and for a long while I've thought he is nothing special really.....but the more and more I see him, the more I think he could quite successfully revert back to a deeper more disciplined role for us. He's a got a bit of technical nous but he also has the energy you need.

Niall_Quinn
09-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Arsenal are in the race to sign the new Cristiano Ronaldo. His name: Goncalo Guedes.
But the Gunners will have to fight off interest from Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich and possibly even Real Madrid … and take a £40million gamble on the teenager should they make a move for him next summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2826491/Arsenal-hunt-Goncalo-Guedes-new-Cristiano-Ronaldo-cost-40m.html

£40mill for a nobody? Perhaps he's got huge talent, but £40mill before he's done anything? Football is all about the cash now and who can get a cut. Silly transfer rumours. Hopefully we'll sign a decent defender and a decent defensive midfielder. Fat chance but it would be nice.

Niall_Quinn
11-11-2014, 04:13 PM
It's the Daily Fuckwit, so hopefully made up.

Arsene Wenger will get £20million in January to solve Arsenal's defensive crisis
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2829307/Arsene-Wenger-20million-January-solve-Arsenal-s-defensive-crisis.html

If true, then it looks like we still don't have money top spend. £20mill? Who are we going to get, in January, for that?

Marc Overmars
11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Mats Hummels.

fakeyank
11-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Hoping we sign a CAM.. we are short on those.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Hoping we sign a CAM.. we are short on those.

I think we need to be more specific

We need someone under 6ft, injury prone, easily outmuscled and no burst of pace

fakeyank
11-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Looks like we are signing Letters..

Niall_Quinn
11-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Mats Hummels.

£20mill will cover his wages, what about the transfer fee?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
11-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Arteta given contract extension apparently :haha:

Niall_Quinn
11-11-2014, 09:16 PM
NET SPEND PER POINT - THE PREMIER LEAGUE TRANSFER VALUE TABLE

Team Total spend Tot pts Cost per point
Everton -£29,016,063.40 369 -£78,634.32
Tottenham -£2,164,964.90 393 -£5,508.82
Fulham £23,442,034.98 275 £85,243.76
Arsenal £42,226,879.17 437 £96,629.01
Sunderland £50,277,526.50 249 £201,917.78
Liverpool £90,022,248.20 404 £222,827.35
Man Utd £139,715,737.87 497 £281,118.18
Aston Villa £86,598,583.28 291 £297,589.63
Stoke City £90,299,162.12 275 £328,360.59
Chavskis £275,714,784.94 461 £598,079.79
Gypo cunts £483,290,582.23 441 £1,095,897.01

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2830128/Manchester-City-spent-1MILLION-players-Premier-League-point-2008-s-twice-biggest-spenders-Chelsea.html

:haha: A million quid per point. And the other wankers wouldn't be far behind if they hadn't been doing dodgy £50mill deals selling garbage to other comedy outfits. What a joke these two non-clubs are. We say we're under performing but what about these losers. A million a point FFS!

GP
11-11-2014, 09:26 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2830128/Manchester-City-spent-1MILLION-players-Premier-League-point-2008-s-twice-biggest-spenders-Chelsea.html

:haha: A million quid per point. And the other wankers wouldn't be far behind if they hadn't been doing dodgy £50mill deals selling garbage to other comedy outfits. What a joke these two non-clubs are. We say we're under performing but what about these losers. A million a point FFS!

http://i.imgur.com/fnMfsLg.jpg

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-11-2014, 09:28 PM

if that's a joke i think it's kind of sick

Master Splinter
11-11-2014, 09:36 PM

Chelsea have a negative net spend this season tbf.

After a decade of spending gazillions, sending their human assets on loan across the world and getting the most suspicious £50 million ever by selling to a fellow plastic club.

Dein-machine
12-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Please no - our only hope is just a new Jeremy Beadle series & the little stumpy handed wanker is not dead after all

McNamara That Ghost...
12-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Looks like we are signing Letters..

That's standard procedure.

Me. :bow:

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Our best passer (and consistently one of the best passers in Europe) has been given an extension at a time when our passing game is struggling? Sounds like a sensible move.

Dein-machine
12-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Our best passer (and consistently one of the best passers in Europe) has been given an extension at a time when our passing game is struggling? Sounds like a sensible move.

Our best backwards & sideways passer - undoubtedly the best in Europe, probably the world.

Dein-machine
12-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Also would suggest that whilst still making 4300 passes per game regularly we are struggling slightly more with our defending than passing. I think playing Arteta is part of our over passing problem, we need a physically stronger CM that gets the ball forward quicker. This kills 2 birds with 1 stone for us.

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Our best backwards & sideways passer - undoubtedly the best in Europe, probably the world.

People are going to criticise Arteta whatever he does or doesn't do. This is just a habit that has taken hold despite the fact the criticism isn't backed by any reasonable evidence. Yes - LIKE ALL OUR PLAYERS - he plays plenty of sideways and square stuff. That's our game, ask Wenger why. But he's our most efficient link between the back four and the forwards and he's demonstrated this time and again, most recently against Anderlecht when our midfield fell apart after he left the pitch. I guess most of the criticism stems from the fact he's not a natural DM, a position Wenger has shoehorned him into. Blame Wenger for that, but it's hugely unfair to get on Arteta's back, a player who works hard for the team on the pitch and is a model professional off it.

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Also would suggest that whilst still making 4300 passes per game regularly we are struggling slightly more with our defending than passing. I think playing Arteta is part of our over passing problem, we need a physically stronger CM that gets the ball forward quicker. This kills 2 birds with 1 stone for us.

Nobody would argue we don't need reinforcements in the middle. But why wouldn't we get those reinforcements in whilst still retaining the services of a reliable pro and our captain? Let's say we bring Khedira in (I hope we don't but let's use him an an example), Arteta probably wouldn't start. But he'd be available ahead of Flamini and can anyone seriously say that would be a bad thing?

Dein-machine
12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
People are going to criticise Arteta whatever he does or doesn't do. This is just a habit that has taken hold despite the fact the criticism isn't backed by any reasonable evidence. Yes - LIKE ALL OUR PLAYERS - he plays plenty of sideways and square stuff. That's our game, ask Wenger why. But he's our most efficient link between the back four and the forwards and he's demonstrated this time and again, most recently against Anderlecht when our midfield fell apart after he left the pitch. I guess most of the criticism stems from the fact he's not a natural DM, a position Wenger has shoehorned him into. Blame Wenger for that, but it's hugely unfair to get on Arteta's back, a player who works hard for the team on the pitch and is a model professional off it.

I agree that Wenger has ruined his game - he was bought in to replace Cesc & I was quite happy at the time because I admired what he was doing at Everton. But maybe if he'd been a better offensive midfielder for us he wouldn't have been given the DM role.
It may be unfair to criticise him for being poor in a unfamiliar role but it is fair on us to have to put up with it. The amount of groans that go up around the Emirates every time he goes backwards must surely get to him & he should be telling Wenger especially as captain that this tippy tappy football in non threatening areas in simply getting us nowhere.

Dein-machine
12-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Nobody would argue we don't need reinforcements in the middle. But why wouldn't we get those reinforcements in whilst still retaining the services of a reliable pro and our captain? Let's say we bring Khedira in (I hope we don't but let's use him an an example), Arteta probably wouldn't start. But he'd be available ahead of Flamini and can anyone seriously say that would be a bad thing?

The simple fact of the matter is that for us to compete at top level we need the quality of 2 class DM's. I agree on Khedira maybe not being the one for us but when we know Arteta has his limitations we should't even have him in the squad.
A team with our resources & a promise to fans that we will compete should not have anyone on the bench who is there just because they are better than Flamini.
Arteta, Flamini, Podolski, Rosicky & I even think Cazorla are simply not good enough or consistent enough to do the roles they are given in midfield. Ramsey would be in this list aswell had it not be for him teasing us last year.
Get rid of the dead wood that seems to stay around because Wenger can't admit he can't win with them or that he was wrong to buy them ---- buy players of proper quality in the role required of them, its really quite simple.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM

NQ loses again.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-11-2014, 08:42 PM
I don't have too much trouble with it but there's going to be criticism until we plug the glaring holes.

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2014, 11:08 PM

NQ loses again.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/mikel_arteta/126/126/398/0/p|champions_league/2014/2015/nemanja_matic/142/142/9284/33/p#total_score/total_forward_passes/total_backward_passes/total_passes/successful_passes/pass_completion/key_passes/assists/chances_created/avg_pass_length#90

With Matic for comparison, the midfielder considered to be the most effective in the role at present. And then Fabregas for comparison to an attacking midfielder. Arteta plays more backward passes than both, but only because he plays more total passes than both. In fact he compares favourably with Fabregas in terms of forward passes and he blows both the chavs out of the water in terms of getting his passes to team mates. Again it's facts vs perception, some fans just focus in on the bad and dismiss the good. Then they present their perceptions as facts.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Yawn.

Same stats that made Denilson sound great but look shit.

With Matic we'd improve 10 fold.

Niall_Quinn
13-11-2014, 01:02 AM
As one claim gets knocked down the next springs up. The claim was Arteta passes backwards and sideways all the time. The facts say no, that's not true. Whether we'd be better off with Matic is not what was being discussed. Probably not, as Wenger insists on a system where accuracy in passing is paramount and would likely ask him to do the same job as Arteta. Then everyone would jump on Matic's back for being "shit".

Globalgunner
13-11-2014, 09:40 AM
As one claim gets knocked down the next springs up. The claim was Arteta passes backwards and sideways all the time. The facts say no, that's not true. Whether we'd be better off with Matic is not what was being discussed. Probably not, as Wenger insists on a system where accuracy in passing is paramount and would likely ask him to do the same job as Arteta. Then everyone would jump on Matic's back for being "shit".

You let yourself down when you defend integral elements of a system while criticising the system as a whole. Our play is crap, you yourself say this. Why this emotional, perpetual defense of Arteta?. He is a player wholly unsuited to the job given to him. We would be miles better as a team if we changed just one thing and that is our DM. Arteta would not pine away and die if he was forced to join another team. We are not supposed to be a retirement home for diminished capacity players. Arteta/Flamini are both a weak link in this team as is the inept manager who plays them out of blind loyalty. From your devotion to individuals I can clearly see that you would be as crap a manager as Wenger keeping players for personal rather than sporting reasons.

We need to break this cycle. Every player needs to be the best we can afford in his position. If that were the case this would be a much happier fan site no doubt. No point excusing Arteta saying, well hes not a DM. Would you excuse a Gynecologist who made a mess of your heart surgery?

Dein-machine
13-11-2014, 10:04 AM
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2014/2015/mikel_arteta/126/126/398/0/p|champions_league/2014/2015/nemanja_matic/142/142/9284/33/p#total_score/total_forward_passes/total_backward_passes/total_passes/successful_passes/pass_completion/key_passes/assists/chances_created/avg_pass_length#90

With Matic for comparison, the midfielder considered to be the most effective in the role at present. And then Fabregas for comparison to an attacking midfielder. Arteta plays more backward passes than both, but only because he plays more total passes than both. In fact he compares favourably with Fabregas in terms of forward passes and he blows both the chavs out of the water in terms of getting his passes to team mates. Again it's facts vs perception, some fans just focus in on the bad and dismiss the good. Then they present their perceptions as facts.

NQ, in your own threads this year you have moaned about the constant tippy tappy football getting us nowhere - Arteta is a part of this. He drops back to take the ball of the defence & then plays a 15 yard pass to another CM, they then pass it back to him & he plays another 15 yard pass to the other CM, it goes back to him again but this time he's under pressure so he turns & it goes back to Merts. This means he has just made three 15 yard passes that a monkey could have made & we are basically back to where we were. This is what makes he stats look positive when in fact its stopping us as an attacking team.
As we know, most teams set up very defensively against us especially at the Emirates. There is no reason to have Arteta running back into his own half to take a 10 yard pass from a defender to then make a 15 yard pass to another midfielder. Our defenders can take the ball up to & sometimes beyond the half way line unchallenged & make the forward pass themselves. Arteta is simply slowing this process up, we are overplaying.
I am a great lover of watching football played on the deck & at pace. Watching Barca on TV during recent years has been a pleasure. However they wouldn't have had so much success trying to play that way in the EPL. Most goals these days are coming from more direct football or set pieces. I saw the 1st Spanish goal last night against Luxembourg, right back hit a long ball towards Spanish striker, defender wins header but it drops 30 yards out to the on-running Silva who shoots & scores - thats Spain against Luxembourg, even Spain aren't trying to walk to ball into the net.

Power n Glory
13-11-2014, 11:01 AM
You let yourself down when you defend integral elements of a system while criticising the system as a whole. Our play is crap, you yourself say this. Why this emotional, perpetual defense of Arteta?. He is a player wholly unsuited to the job given to him. We would be miles better as a team if we changed just one thing and that is our DM. Arteta would not pine away and die if he was forced to join another team. We are not supposed to be a retirement home for diminished capacity players. Arteta/Flamini are both a weak link in this team as is the inept manager who plays them out of blind loyalty. From your devotion to individuals I can clearly see that you would be as crap a manager as Wenger keeping players for personal rather than sporting reasons.

We need to break this cycle. Every player needs to be the best we can afford in his position. If that were the case this would be a much happier fan site no doubt. No point excusing Arteta saying, well hes not a DM. Would you excuse a Gynecologist who made a mess of your heart surgery?

Power n Glory
13-11-2014, 11:04 AM
NQ, in your own threads this year you have moaned about the constant tippy tappy football getting us nowhere - Arteta is a part of this. He drops back to take the ball of the defence & then plays a 15 yard pass to another CM, they then pass it back to him & he plays another 15 yard pass to the other CM, it goes back to him again but this time he's under pressure so he turns & it goes back to Merts. This means he has just made three 15 yard passes that a monkey could have made & we are basically back to where we were. This is what makes he stats look positive when in fact its stopping us as an attacking team.
As we know, most teams set up very defensively against us especially at the Emirates. There is no reason to have Arteta running back into his own half to take a 10 yard pass from a defender to then make a 15 yard pass to another midfielder. Our defenders can take the ball up to & sometimes beyond the half way line unchallenged & make the forward pass themselves. Arteta is simply slowing this process up, we are overplaying.
I am a great lover of watching football played on the deck & at pace. Watching Barca on TV during recent years has been a pleasure. However they wouldn't have had so much success trying to play that way in the EPL. Most goals these days are coming from more direct football or set pieces. I saw the 1st Spanish goal last night against Luxembourg, right back hit a long ball towards Spanish striker, defender wins header but it drops 30 yards out to the on-running Silva who shoots & scores - thats Spain against Luxembourg, even Spain aren't trying to walk to ball into the net.

:gp: Indeed. It's a flawed argument. Complain about the whole tippy tappy approach but defend one of the biggest culprits that epitomises the style whilst using passing stats to defend his performances. Backwards.

Özim
13-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Chelsea and Manchester United have been told they will need to pay £19m for out-of-favour Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane, 21, who is looking for a move in January.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534554/Real-Madrid-Chelsea-Man-Utd-19m-Raphael-Varane

If he's available we absolutely have to sign him, he's top class and at 19 million a snip!

Inter Milan have opened discussions about taking Arsenal striker Joel Campbell, 22, on loan with a £7m option to make it permanent.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/inter-milan-open-joel-campbell-4617760

Oh dear, hope this is BS.

Arsenal have opened negotiations with Roma over a January transfer for striker Mattia Destro, 23.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/410010/Arsenal-open-talksJanuary-move-Chelsea-target-Mattia-Destro

Who?

Ron Vlaar, 29, has given Manchester United and Arsenal fresh hope of signing him after his agent confirmed the defender is likely to leave Aston Villa.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-man-united-transfer-target-4617993

No thanks.

Liverpool are preparing a £30m move for Porto striker Jackson Martinez, 28.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534760/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Martinez-Odegaard-Montoya

Maybe we need to get in on the act.

Dein-machine
13-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Does your stats show how many of Arteta's passes were made in the final third as opposed to Fabregas.

Dein-machine
13-11-2014, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Özim;431862]http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534554/Real-Madrid-Chelsea-Man-Utd-19m-Raphael-Varane

If he's available we absolutely have to sign him, he's top class and at 19 million a snip!

I suggested a cheeky Varane bid when I knew Mourinho was leaving Madrid. He is superb but I think we'll see him at Chelsea. Has a younger brother though who's supposedly even better, my son played against him last year.

Marc Overmars
13-11-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534554/Real-Madrid-Chelsea-Man-Utd-19m-Raphael-Varane

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/inter-milan-open-joel-campbell-4617760

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/410010/Arsenal-open-talksJanuary-move-Chelsea-target-Mattia-Destro

Who?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-man-united-transfer-target-4617993

No thanks.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/534760/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Martinez-Odegaard-Montoya

Wenget was probably gutted Campbell turned out to be good, he saw a chance to turn a sneaky profit but now he's under pressure to give him a chance.

Japan Shaking All Over
13-11-2014, 02:53 PM

Who?

No thanks.

Suppose the argument will be he is young but he is also experience so a Big yes please to Varane.....an upgrade on what we are patching together at the moment and we could have the foundations of our future CB pairing if the future as I can see Chambers moving over in time.

No doubt we will dither around and lose out to someone like the Chavs who will no doubt buy him to stop anyone else doing so!!!!

Come Wenger 19mil? That is peanuts!

I'd take Destro as well, guys got pace to burn but I won't want him till we've sorted defence and DCM out first

GP
13-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Varane is pretty good.

selassie
14-11-2014, 08:46 AM
Varane is pretty good.

Yeah he is awesome.

If he really is available for 19million we should be all over this irrespective of whether Chelsea and United go for him. He would walk into our team and could offer us 10 years minimum at the highest level.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Been linked again with Gregor Krychowiak, a guy that joined Seville for €4.5million three months ago and being linked with us for 20-25million. Not seen inflation in value like that since Lassana Diarra.

Power n Glory
14-11-2014, 01:49 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20141103/coquelin-joins-charlton-athletic-on-loan

Why the heck have we done that? Completely missed this. Why have we loaned Coquelin out?

Syn
14-11-2014, 03:05 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20141103/coquelin-joins-charlton-athletic-on-loan

Why the heck have we done that? Completely missed this. Why have we loaned Coquelin out?

Because Arsene doesn't trust him. He doesn't trust Bellerin either. And then he loans out Jenkinson. And lost Sagna. And sold Vermaelen. All when he knew Koscielny had Achilles problems.

Xhaka Can’t
14-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Lets face it. Aside from book keeping, we have no strategy.

Niall_Quinn
14-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Because Arsene doesn't trust him. He doesn't trust Bellerin either. And then he loans out Jenkinson. And lost Sagna. And sold Vermaelen. All when he knew Koscielny had Achilles problems.

Well you could hardly expect him to clear out the entire defence in a single season. Somebody would have noticed.

Power n Glory
14-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Total madness.

Japan Shaking All Over
15-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Time for Jenkinson to come home.....

Injury Time
15-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Time for Jenkinson to come home.....

Nah, he has happy banter with Song now :-(

Japan Shaking All Over
20-11-2014, 10:13 PM
7mil for Cech anyone?.......good mentor for Ches who does seem at times to need a guiding hand

Globalgunner
20-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Not for me. No point swapping misery on the bench at Chelsea for misery on the bench a t the Emirates. We have Ospina, no point throwing money away with another keeper who wont play. Chech is better than Scez right now. but is only going to get worse. given fair opportunities Ospina will prove to be the better keeper

Injury Time
20-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Cheeky bid for Sturridge to keep Diaby company?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
20-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Let's bid for Messi?

Marc Overmars
21-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Not for me. No point swapping misery on the bench at Chelsea for misery on the bench a t the Emirates. We have Ospina, no point throwing money away with another keeper who wont play. Chech is better than Scez right now. but is only going to get worse. given fair opportunities Ospina will prove to be the better keeper

Cech is one of the best keepers the league has ever seen.

Get him and sell Chesney tbh.

Penguin
21-11-2014, 07:32 AM

He would have only played in the League cup for us anyway, at least he gets some playing time this way.

Power n Glory
21-11-2014, 11:08 AM
He would have only played in the League cup for us anyway, at least he gets some playing time this way.

What good is that to us when we have injuries?

selassie
21-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Cech is miles better than Scez, Cech is still a world class keeper, probably 3rd best in the World behind Neuer and Courtois. A decent keeper can go well on into their late 30's so Id be happy with bringing Cech in now. Scez and Ospina can fight it out for the number 2 position, that's if Ospina ever gets fit!

Özim
21-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Here we go again......

Lionel Messi: Barcelona forward was Arsenal target - Wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed that he tried to sign Lionel Messi as part of a treble swoop for some of Barcelona's top young talent.

Messi was 15 at the time and an academy team-mate of Gerard Pique and future Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Wenger said: "We wanted to take Fabregas, Messi and Pique. It worked only for Fabregas."

Fabregas spent eight years at Arsenal before returning to Barcelona, while Pique joined Manchester United in 2004.

Messi, 27, has spent all of his senior career at the Nou Camp - helping Barcelona win six La Liga titles and the Champions League three times - after the possible move to England failed to materialise.

However, Wenger dismissed suggestions that the potential deal collapsed over an accommodation issue for Messi and his family. The Argentina international would also have required a work permit.

Wenger added: "I think in the end he was not so keen to move.

"It was not completely down to a flat in the end. It was down to the fact that Messi was comfortable at Barcelona."

Midfielder Fabregas, 27, played over 300 games for Arsenal after signing in 2003 and is now with Chelsea after three seasons back at Barcelona.

Fellow Spain international Pique also returned to Barcelona after playing 23 times for United and the defender, 27, has since played almost 300 games for the Catalans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30142871

Power n Glory
21-11-2014, 12:08 PM
So that's Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Zlatan, Yaya....anyone else we could have signed but didn't?

I don't get why he continues to share these stories. It doesn't make him look good.

BOBN
21-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Here we go again......

This is distasteful tbh. Boasting about the attempted rape of the Barca academy.

Barca "tapping up" Fabregas is no more than we deserved.

Bumble
21-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Cech is miles better than Scez, Cech is still a world class keeper, probably 3rd best in the World behind Neuer and Courtois. A decent keeper can go well on into their late 30's so Id be happy with bringing Cech in now. Scez and Ospina can fight it out for the number 2 position, that's if Ospina ever gets fit!
If Mourinho still rates Cech there is no chance he will sanction a sale to us....

Bumble
21-11-2014, 03:11 PM
So that's Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Zlatan, Yaya....anyone else we could have signed but didn't?

I don't get why he continues to share these stories. It doesn't make him look good.

Ronaldo was close but I think United offered 3 times what we did and he went there. Bale was touted but we had Clichy at the time at left back where Bale was currently playing so obviously would have been some doubt if he would make the side. Plus at the time I think Arsenal fans just saw him as good at free kicks and that was it.

Didn't we pick Eboue over Yaya?

So each one has a perfectly valid reason as to why we didn't sign them

Power n Glory
21-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Ronaldo was close but I think United offered 3 times what we did and he went there. Bale was touted but we had Clichy at the time at left back where Bale was currently playing so obviously would have been some doubt if he would make the side. Plus at the time I think Arsenal fans just saw him as good at free kicks and that was it.

Didn't we pick Eboue over Yaya?

So each one has a perfectly valid reason as to why we didn't sign them

I'm sure he has a valid reason for all of them but how many times is he going to do these 'almost' stories. It just makes him look even more like a loser! He's like the guy in the group that keeps recounting tales of 'almost pulling'. Just shut the f up and get on with it.

Marc Overmars
21-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Messi would have gone the way of Reyes here.

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Maybe not Messi but... Arsenal are monitoring Hamburg midfielder Tolgay Arslan. Another Flamini :bow:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2844007/Arsenal-keeping-eye-Hamburg-holding-midfielder-Tolgay-Arslan-protect-defence.html

So anyway... WHO??????

RomfordPele
22-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Here we go again......

To be fair, wenger was asked by a hack to comment on a reference in a messi biography - he didn't spontaneously come out with it. This is scum media making mischief to wind up arsenal fans already pissed off with him.

Unfortunately, he's far too egotistical these days to spot this and take evasive action. Even the media can run rings round him these days. Very sad to see.

Master Splinter
22-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Wenger says shit that he says every week during a period of proper serious fan anger.

Fans get angry.

WUMger wins.

Syn
22-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Wenger says shit that he says every week during a period of proper serious fan anger.

Fans get angry.

WUMger wins.

He also earns £8m a year.

Master Splinter
22-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Paedo cunt imo.

Syn
22-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Harsh on Letters tbf.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA

Nailed on draw for today.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-11-2014, 09:17 PM
We're running out of top players that Wenger can nearly sign.

Niall_Quinn
24-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Here's another one that's hopefully untrue.

Arsenal interested in Bafetimbi Gomis transfer with Crystal Palace and Newcastle also monitoring Swansea striker
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2847265/Arsenal-interested-Swansea-s-Bafetimbi-Gomis-Crystal-Palace-Newcastle-monitoring-striker.html

Marc Overmars
24-11-2014, 05:27 PM
He would satisfy Wenget's craving for big oafs up front.

Injury Time
24-11-2014, 07:22 PM
:blah: :ilt: /thread

BOBN
25-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Penguin
29-11-2014, 09:25 AM
What good is that to us when we have injuries?

There's not much difference an inexperienced reserve would make, even if we kept him to cover for a couple of games. He's a DM anyway, it's probably better not to stick him at left back and pray he doesn't make any mistakes.

sibreen
29-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Cabaye - yay or nay, what do you say?

GP
29-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Better than Flamini, so why not?

Marc Overmars
29-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Cabaye - yay or nay, what do you say?

Yes. Absolutely.

Niall_Quinn
01-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Another one for the "I sincerely hope not" pot:

Cristian Ledesma wanted by Arsenal
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2855615/Christian-Ledesma-wanted-Arsenal-Arsene-Wenger-s-midfield-injuries-mount.html

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
01-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Cabaye would be brilliant.

Technically gifted but a French GHEL. Aggressive and loves to get stuck in.

Yes please.

fakeyank
01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Cabaye would be brilliant.

Technically gifted but a French GHEL. Aggressive and loves to get stuck in.

Yes please.

Shouldve got him instead of that Turkish fraud from Germany. Might as well have flushed 43 million quid down the drain :rolleyes:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Cabaye would be lovely but there are numerous players out there who could do a good job at DCM here.

Should we be looking to raid Dortmund....and I don't mean for their blonde bombshell manager.....

Dein-machine
01-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Cabaye would be lovely but there are numerous players out there who could do a good job at DCM here.

Should we be looking to raid Dortmund....and I don't mean for their blonde bombshell manager.....

Poor Old Klopp - at least Dot Cotton has never had us bottom of the league.
Cabaye plus CB is the very least required to add stability & strength to this unbalanced squad

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-12-2014, 11:41 PM
I can only imagine the mood if we were bottom of the league. I'm amazed so many are willing to dismiss this with Klopp.....

His team on paper are at worst the second best in Germany and yet they are bottom. There are about 3 teams in the German league I've never heard of. Takes some doing for them to be where they are. We are now in December!

Dein-machine
02-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Agreed - he seems very similar to Wenger in having a hold over the club & the board. They believe the good times will return because of his history & find it hard to believe someone they rate so much is not up to it. I suppose you could make a case for him on the injuries to key players but bottom of the Bundersliga is simply not acceptable for a team with their squad & money.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-12-2014, 01:12 AM
2 league titles, 1 fa cup, 2 community shields and 1 CL final in the last 5 years.

10 bad weeks doesn't change anything.

Get him in.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 09:21 AM
2 Bundesliga titles, 1 DFB Pokal, 2 DFL supercups and 1 CL final in the last 5 years.

10 bad weeks doesn't change anything.

Get him in.

The Bundesliga table suggests otherwise, would you still want him if he gets Dortmund relegated?

Marc Overmars
02-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm a fan of Klopp but it's hard to ignore how badly they've done this season. You could give them the benefit of the doubt if they were still at least competing for CL places but to be bottom of the league with that squad is one hell of a screw up.

Özim
02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Some would have you believe that coming 2nd in a CL group to a team playing as badly as Dortmund isn't too bad as we shouldn't expect to be above them.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Some would have you believe that coming 2nd in a CL group to a team playing as badly as Dortmund isn't too bad as we shouldn't expect to be above them.

Dortmunds Bundesliga form is exactly why I am NOT satisfied that barring a extraordinary result between Anderlecht and Dortmund we will not finish above them in the group.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm a fan of Klopp but it's hard to ignore how badly they've done this season. You could give them the benefit of the doubt if they were still at least competing for CL places but to be bottom of the league with that squad is one hell of a screw up.

Klopp is very similar to Wenger in both strengths and weaknesses, he is a fantastic spotter and nurturer of talent as Wenger was in his prime. But his Dortmund side seem to be tactically naive much like ours is, and whilst they are good at pressing up the pitch they aren't so disciplined when not in Possession.

It's not to pour scorn on Klopp he has achieved fantastic things as a manager, and is young enough to adapt his approach and do so again. But the similarities between him and Wenger are too striking, and it seems we'd be swapping like for like

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
The Bundesliga table suggests otherwise, would you still want him if he gets Dortmund relegated?

If we're judging it on bad performances wenger should have been gone years ago.

The difference between klopp and wenger is klopp will address the issues in January and make the team kick on. Wenger will sit on his arse and wonder why we don't.

sibreen
02-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Reports in the Times that we're looking to sell Podolski and Campbell in Jan.

If we're not going to use them (at all) except in the last 5mins or so, may as well get some new people in.

Özim
02-12-2014, 04:41 PM
If we sell them, it doesn't mean we'll get anyone in, even id we did there's no guarantee they wouldn't be some cheap nobody stop gap type which Wenger loves.

Shocking that we'd consider selling Campbell IMO.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 04:54 PM
If we're judging it on bad performances wenger should have been gone years ago.

The difference between klopp and wenger is klopp will address the issues in January and make the team kick on. Wenger will sit on his arse and wonder why we don't.

In hindsight Wenger should have gone years ago, but the issue is who should replace him not whether we want him here

Klopp replaced Lewandowski in the summer, not really worked out for him so far

I just find it funny that the people who are the most vociferously Anti-Wenger are the ones who want to bring in a younger version of him.

Me personally, at the start of the season I could begrudgingly accept Wenger being here till 2017 now it's just a prospect I don't think I can stomach. But I'd want the board to do its job and make a thorough analysis of want kind of club they want Arsenal to be post L'Ouisseau and who is best suited to presiding over it

Globalgunner
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
In hindsight Wenger should have gone years ago, but the issue is who should replace him not whether we want him here

I just find it funny that the people who are the most vociferously Anti-Wenger are the ones who want to bring in a younger version of him.

Me personally, at the start of the season I could begrudgingly accept Wenger being here till 2017 now it's just a prospect I don't think I can stomach. But I'd want the board to do its job and make a thorough analysis of want kind of club they want Arsenal to be post L'Ouisseau and who is best suited to presiding over it

Everything you said above is your opinion, not a matter of fact. Klopp is neither dogmatic or obsessed with himself like Wenger is. He has won two league titles in a row which Wenger hasn't done. He has lost some fantastic players, most of whom are irreplaceable, so you can hardly blame him for that. How many players as good as Lewandowski can you name that are available. Klopp may not be the best, nor the only option out there, but I would take him in a heartbeat over the old busted flush we now have.

But I agree we need to conduct a search for a replacement diligently. We will get 4th, Im pretty sure. Its a crap league and we usually get there in the end.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-12-2014, 06:49 PM

We want to bring in the pre-2005 version of wenger. Don't see nothing wrong with that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Everything you said above is your opinion, not a matter of fact. Klopp is neither dogmatic or obsessed with himself like Wenger is. He has won two league titles in a row which Wenger hasn't done. He has lost some fantastic players, most of whom are irreplaceable, so you can hardly blame him for that. How many players as good as Lewandowski can you name that are available. Klopp may not be the best, nor the only option out there, but I would take him in a heartbeat over the old busted flush we now have.

But I agree we need to conduct a search for a replacement diligently. We will get 4th, Im pretty sure. Its a crap league and we usually get there in the end.

Of course it's an opinion, but its an opinion informed by how Dortmund play and how well it is serving them at the moment.

Have you seen any interviews with Klopp, whilst he's definitely charismatic and entertaining he's also massively egocentric.

Defenders of Wenger make the "lost irreplaceable players" argument for him, it doesn't wash for Wenger and it shouldn't for Klopp either. Klopp is much less prone to dither in the transfer market than Wenger, but that seems to be the only plus point.

Above all else I want a manager who is tactically flexible and will sort out the defence; Borussia Dortmund play the same way no matter who they are up against and in the past it served them well because of the quality of their attack, with Gotze and Lewandowski gone they have lost that spear head and if you look statistically their chances to conversion rate in the Bundesliga is very poor.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 07:17 PM
We want to bring in the pre-2005 version of wenger. Don't see nothing wrong with that.

You mean you don't see anything wrong with that?

What you fail to understand is that Wenger hasn't depreciated as a manager since 2005, the game has moved on and left him behind and he's not ever tried to catch up. So in 2014, another Arsene Wenger is not what we need.

Xhaka Can’t
02-12-2014, 07:20 PM

To be fair, a younger version of Wenger won things and provided us the most blindingly exciting football I've ever seen.

It was a fucking privilege watching us then.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
My point being if we were able to construct a time machine and bring 1998 Arsene Wenger to 2014, he'd be just as fucking clueless as his current haggard sleeping bag wearing self.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
02-12-2014, 07:28 PM
The football of that style will work ephemerally if you have the right players, but eventually without an alternative plan you are going to be found out

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-12-2014, 08:19 PM
My point being if we were able to construct a time machine and bring 1998 Arsene Wenger to 2014, he'd be just as fucking clueless as his current haggard sleeping bag wearing self.

No he wouldn't.

He'd buy strong, powerful players instead of small, feeble players. He'd play counter-attacking football instead of slow, tippy tappy shit. He'd invest in experienced players (who remembers picking up the paper and hearing that we'd signed world cup winner gilberto silva, what a masterstroke that was). He also wasn't as stubborn as he is now.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-12-2014, 10:04 PM
I don't think Dortmund can point to losing players too much. It is a reason for them not to win the league but not a reason for them to be planted at the bottom of their league. If the prem is poor what is the Bundesliga?

Papiss Cisse (who in fairness is a decent if erratic player) was second highest top scorer when he was in the Bundesliga so Dortmund shouldn't need Messi to be in second place there. They still have Mikirhytan(sp) Reus, Aubemeyang(sp), Kagawa, Gundogan......a decent set of players and although Reus has just got injured we've been no better with injuries with Ozil and co....and just like them, we've mostly been shedding our best players for years until we finally run out.

I'd happily throw the farm at getting Hummels out of there. Even if it meant playing him at DCM.

Injury Time
02-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Anyone see any transfer speculation in this thread :unsure:

Globalgunner
03-12-2014, 06:12 AM
In truth there's only one topic in town. How to get rid of Wenger
BBC sport linked us to Cristoph Kramer today. Good player, was at the WC for Germany but doesnt remember playing. Rather him than Khedira.

Ralpheroo72
03-12-2014, 10:35 AM
To be fair, a younger version of Wenger won things and provided us the most blindingly exciting football I've ever seen.

It was a fucking privilege watching us then.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
No he wouldn't.

He'd buy strong, powerful players instead of small, feeble players. He'd play counter-attacking football instead of slow, tippy tappy shit. He'd invest in experienced players (who remembers picking up the paper and hearing that we'd signed world cup winner gilberto silva, what a masterstroke that was). He also wasn't as stubborn as he is now.

Crying for the moon
Wenger of those days never frustrated fans in the transfer market and insisted on getting players in from the bargain basement, he always strengthened his side when we needed to (cough sarcasm)
The fact is the players he brought in that are physically strong and would cost 3-4million and now cost 30-40million Wengers trick was to bring players to prominence that few other clubs had heard of, the thing is with you tube, international scouting etc most clubs are wise to this trick now and in this day and age you cannot get top quality in on the cheap.
Wenger wouldn't spend 30million on a defender then, and I don't think he's any more likely to now
We did play a more counter attacking style of play, but the accusation of being over elaborate existed long before 2005, even in the days of Pires, Henry and Vieira we were often trying to score the perfect goal and would get bogged down in short passing.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Wenger spent on players. He invested to address the key deficiencies of the team. Not only did he do that, he bought good players instead of the junk we've had recently. If we got that Wenger back we'd be far better off. No doubt about it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Wenger spent on players. He invested to address the key deficiencies of the team. Not only did he do that, he bought good players instead of the junk we've had recently. If we got that Wenger back we'd be far better off. No doubt about it.

Rose tinted spectacles, more often than not we made more money from player sales than player purchases even prior to 2005, we often have a paper thin squad even when we had a decent XI....and like I say it was easier and cheaper to buy decent players in the first eight or nine years of his reign because the other big clubs hadn't caught up yet. We tactically were no better than we are now, but Wengers abilities as a talent spotter usually made up for it.
Now days I'm sure he can still recognise talented players he doesn't want to pay the prices.

The only seasons we spent big prior to 2005 were 2000 and 2001, 2000 we had sold Overmars and Petit and still had Anelka money, 2001 contrary to your insistence with the exception of Sol Campbell who joined us on a free our summer purchases were shite

Power n Glory
03-12-2014, 06:31 PM
You have a point HCZ. Wenger was known for finding diamonds in the rough for cheap. The Emirates project wouldn't had been greenlit without his transfer record. He already had a rep for spending less than most teams in the Prem during the Highbury years.

I think our style of play has evolved to a slower build up but I think that's a result of teams in the Prem being more tactifcally aware and the sort of players we now buy. Power and pace has gone out the window and we've bought a lot of technical midgets and wannabe numbers 10s. But overall, I think 'total football', short passing game has always been in our blood under Wenger. It seems different now because we've taken pace out of the team and out opposition play a different brand. But if you listen to The Invincibles speak of that era or even Wenger, players wanted to craft that perfect passing goal. It was all unselfish player and each player being able to provide a well times assist. I don't think that idea has gone out the window which is why we have tippy tappy.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-12-2014, 08:13 PM
You have a point HCZ. Wenger was known for finding diamonds in the rough for cheap. The Emirates project wouldn't had been greenlit without his transfer record. He already had a rep for spending less than most teams in the Prem during the Highbury years.

I think our style of play has evolved to a slower build up but I think that's a result of teams in the Prem being more tactifcally aware and the sort of players we now buy. Power and pace has gone out the window and we've bought a lot of technical midgets and wannabe numbers 10s. But overall, I think 'total football', short passing game has always been in our blood under Wenger. It seems different now because we've taken pace out of the team and out opposition play a different brand. But if you listen to The Invincibles speak of that era or even Wenger, players wanted to craft that perfect passing goal. It was all unselfish player and each player being able to provide a well times assist. I don't think that idea has gone out the window which is why we have tippy tappy.

Exactly, the play is only slightly adjusted from one touch pass and move to two or three touch football, it was more adaptive of who he considered the focal pointin his side. From 1998 to 2004 it was Patrick Vieira and afterwards it was Cesc Fabregas.

Munchies
05-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Wenger is going to offer Diaby a new contract if he gets past his current injury
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2861975/Abou-Diaby-offered-new-Arsenal-deal-fully-fit-reveals-boss-Arsene-Wenger.html

There's our fuckin CDM guys.

Fucking joke

Is Wenger getting 'something' in return for letting the crock on £60k a week for fuck all?

Enough is enough.

I will be pissed

sibreen
05-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Anyone know anything about Tyrone Mings?
Never heard of him myself.

Niall_Quinn
05-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Wenger is going to offer Diaby a new contract if he gets past his current injury
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2861975/Abou-Diaby-offered-new-Arsenal-deal-fully-fit-reveals-boss-Arsene-Wenger.html

Fucking joke

Is Wenger getting 'something' in return for letting the crock on £60k a week for fuck all?

Enough is enough.

I will be pissed

Used to be you had to actually do something to get a new contract. Now new deals are on rails, you don't even have to play football to get a football contract. It's getting like the civil service. Turn up at a specific time, hang around, go home, bank the cash. It's a laugh because some other poor fucker is picking up the tab, whether it be the taxpayer or increasingly abused football fans. Diaby has done NOTHING to warrant a new contract and as shown no signs whatsoever of recovering from his world record bout of injuries. You have to hope this is Wenger realising the player will never recover and setting a condition that will be easy to activate when it comes time to push him out the door. Don't think so though. Maybe Diaby has some dirt on Wenger or somebody else at the club. At this late stage the reason for him still being within a mile of the club must be fairly weird.

Other news there is about Kos. Sounds like he's playing injured. That bodes well.

Niall_Quinn
05-12-2014, 12:37 PM

He's one of those wonderkid, prodigy, sensation types that are ten-a-penny these days. Pretty sure there will be a few clips on YouTube of him almost doing something.

Marc Overmars
05-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Fucking joke

Enough is enough.

I will be pissed

It would be akin to throwing money in the bin. Like when we paid for Gazza's 756th rehab attempt.

Letters
05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
New signings :bow:

:ilt:

AFC Leveller
05-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I would sign Bony, great striker and still only 25. he has scored more goals than any other striker in the league this calendar year.

alexander
05-12-2014, 08:09 PM
My boss is a season ticket holder at Ipswich, rates him very highly, but also thinks he has only just come on the scene and needs more time. He said the same thing about that striker they sold to sunderland, said he went too soon.

Japan Shaking All Over
05-12-2014, 09:59 PM
My boss is a season ticket holder at Ipswich, rates him very highly, but also thinks he has only just come on the scene and needs more time. He said the same thing about that striker they sold to sunderland, said he went too soon.

Exactly.....he would only be one to wait on the sidelines like Zouma at Chavs but ifs he good let's get him in.....saw him the other day and looked tidy enough but not the immediate answer....so what so we do? Not sure the answer is Hummels as we won't get him and always look for cheap option so can we get Reid and Mings and spend our money on a real DM, can't see why if we were convinced enough to bid for Bender a year ago we aren't bumping up the ante again

GP
05-12-2014, 10:14 PM
It would be akin to throwing money in the bin. Like when we paid for Gazza's 756th rehab attempt.

That was just to get one over the spuds and was thus totally worth it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
06-12-2014, 12:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nDjmkta.gif

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-12-2014, 04:30 AM
I don't get the big deal with Reid either to be honest....?

Globalgunner
06-12-2014, 01:04 PM
The best thing about Winston Reid....He's a better CB than Monreal

alexander
06-12-2014, 06:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nDjmkta.gif

Diaby got his turn of pace back

selassie
06-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Fucking joke

Enough is enough.

I will be pissed

I know it's mindblowing. We have so many f*ckin problems with this team/squad and Wenger is harping on about giving Diaby a new contract if he proves his worth.

selassie
06-12-2014, 08:30 PM

He'll be our Centre back signing and that's your lot. Kos, Merts, Chambers and Mings.

Injury Time
06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
He'll be our Centre back signing and that's your lot. Kos, Merts, Chambers and Mings.

Sounds like a bunch of injuries for you solicitors, ambulance chasers :sulk:

selassie
06-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a bunch of injuries for you solicitors, ambulance chasers :sulk:

:lol:

Ralpheroo72
12-12-2014, 11:27 AM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/12/uk-soccer-england-arsenal-idUKKBN0JQ0XN20141212?rpc=401

What are they smoking down there at the Emirates?

GP
12-12-2014, 12:58 PM
You should probably read more than just the headline

Ralpheroo72
12-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Coquelin recalled from Charlton too

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-12-2014, 01:04 PM
We don't need to buy if the squad stays fit is a bit like saying I don't need to wear a space suit in space if my body adapts to a total vacuum and absolute freezing temperature and I train myself to live without oxygen.

Özim
12-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Apparently club officials blocked fans from displaying banners calling for Wenger to be sacked, sounds like a dictatorship to me.

Coney
12-12-2014, 01:44 PM
If you look on Arseblog he makes it clear that Wenger has only been partly quoted and not in full context (as usual - hey, you have to make a headline somehow).....

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/12/wengers-transfer-market-quotes-in-full-context/

the full context of his quote is a bit more interesting. He was responding to a question from one of the journalists who asked:

Q: “With regard the defensive problems, are you confident you can solve them on the training pitch or do you have to dip into the transfer market and give them some help?”

A: “Look if everybody is fit and available we don’t need to go on the transfer market. But we have to consider that Koscielny could be a question mark with his fitness and we have to go out on the transfer market, yes.”

So, that’s much more of an admission that we’re likely to do some business – as if the whole idea of everyone being fit and available wasn’t ludicrous enough already.

Niall_Quinn
12-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Or in short - journalists are scum.

Özim
12-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Doesn't really matter how he was quoted, he won't do the necessary, he never does, if (and it's big if) he gets someone in it will be some loan journeyman as a stop gap, it won't be someone who can genuinely do a job for us.

fakeyank
12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
If you look on Arseblog he makes it clear that Wenger has only been partly quoted and not in full context (as usual - hey, you have to make a headline somehow).....

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/12/wengers-transfer-market-quotes-in-full-context/

With a fully fit squad, we are still short on numbers at the back. It scares me that if Kos does come back fit for a bit, the dinosaur will think we dont need another player. Lord knows Wenger is more than capable of stupidity like this..

fakeyank
12-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Doesn't really matter how he was quoted, he won't do the necessary, he never does, if (and it's big if) he gets someone in it will be some loan journeyman as a stop gap, it won't be someone who can genuinely do a job for us.

And people wonder why he gets booed by fans :lol: #StrawManArgumentv2.0

Power n Glory
12-12-2014, 04:03 PM
It doesn't matter who we buy. We'll fix one area and then break another. We're close to a central midfield crisis and we need to hope he doesn't break Sanchez.

KSE Comedy Club
12-12-2014, 05:38 PM
We are still short in defense.

It makes no difference if everybody is fit because if we sustain 1 injury then we are back to square one again.

Ipso facto: wenger is a twat.

Japan Shaking All Over
12-12-2014, 11:47 PM

It makes no difference if everybody is fit because if we sustain 1 injury then we are back to square one again.

Pods to get another start then....?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
13-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Apparently club officials blocked fans from displaying banners calling for Wenger to be sacked, sounds like a dictatorship to me.

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
13-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Of course it's a dictatorship, why is that in the least surprising? Arsenal is a private company and behaves like a private company. Try taking a "Tesco is Shit!" banner into one of their stores and see what happens. These are the realities of modern football. They can't stop banners outside the ground though, on property they don't own. If you want to bring banners like this into stadiums then first start a campaign to get big business out of football. Or have a whip around with the fans and buy the stadium.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
13-12-2014, 09:28 PM

Top post.

Xhaka Can’t
14-12-2014, 10:43 AM
The bar is low with you.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Loblaw were you Steve French or am I getting mixed up?

Xhaka Can’t
14-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah. You're probably mixed up too.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-12-2014, 04:11 PM
lol....okay, what was your previous name on here if you had one?

It's not like people send out memo's when they change their name, you just have to gauge it from the amount and style of winding up they do.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Okay okay I get it....you were Steve French but I am a fruit cake in any case.

Gotcha.....doh.

Master Splinter
14-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Fruit cakes :lol:.

Awlful cakes.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm cheesecake obsessed myself but whatever works!

Master Splinter
14-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Cheese and cake :lol:.

Awlful conglomeration.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Pizza hut cookie dough cheesecake my friend. Hot step it...

I said a little while ago that I see no reason Moussa Sissoko can't play DCM for us so it was interesting to hear Phillipe Auclair wax lyrical about him on the last Arsecast Friday.

He pretty much said he can play anyway...even centre forward. He said we've been actually linked with him too.....

Ashley is always open to decent business so why not? Also he is forever linked with everybody buy Hummels is bisto and I'd bet the farm that like Lahm (rhyming unintentional here) he can play DCM too.

The pair of them would cost next summers budget but I bet we wouldn't be whorishly trying to sort out our defence like twits for a while.....

I know Wenger doesn't like to over subscribe instruction but the pair of them take it pretty well. As did Arteta once upon a time.

selassie
21-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Pizza hut cookie dough cheesecake my friend. Hot step it...

I said a little while ago that I see no reason Moussa Sissoko can't play DCM for us so it was interesting to hear Phillipe Auclair wax lyrical about him on the last Arsecast Friday.

He pretty much said he can play anyway...even centre forward. He said we've been actually linked with him too.....

Ashley is always open to decent business so why not? Also he is forever linked with everybody buy Hummels is bisto and I'd bet the farm that like Lahm (rhyming unintentional here) he can play DCM too.

The pair of them would cost next summers budget but I bet we wouldn't be whorishly trying to sort out our defence like twits for a while.....

I know Wenger doesn't like to over subscribe instruction but the pair of them take it pretty well. As did Arteta once upon a time.

Wenger cant and wont fix the problems in Defence or Central Midfield. The issues are both personnel & technical/tactical. I personally think its beyond him to fix them properly. Ive been looking at all the rumours today and our strongest link is Tyrone Mings of Ipswich, seems fairly realistically to me, but it wont solve a thing, just another promising young talent who will be shifted all over the place due to our injury problems and lack of depth in certain positions. The Schneiderlin rumours are interesting but I very much doubt we will be prepared to pay the market rate for him & to be honest, I am not even sure Wenger sees him as first choice.

Xhaka Can’t
21-12-2014, 09:24 PM
After years of willing him to do something in the transfer market, I don't want Wenger anywhere near it.

He'll almost certainly buy shit in positions where it isn't needed with three minutes of the window left. There is also a fair chance that the player will have already been flogged to near death with a bag of spanners.

The main problem is not the lack of players, it is the manager. He has to go, this club is a dying unfollowable mess with him in charge.

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Well I hope things don't turn out your way. I for one think Ron Vlaar will transform this club into the CL winning side we deserve.

Xhaka Can’t
22-12-2014, 03:13 AM
We could have the worlds best 11 on the pitch. Anything achieved by them would be despite Wenger.

For the sake of our club he cannot, just cannot be allowed to subject this club to three further years of purgatory.

Gooner23
22-12-2014, 07:28 AM
It's taken 6 months but finally Sanchez has caught Wengeritis.

Power n Glory
22-12-2014, 08:57 AM
After years of willing him to do something in the transfer market, I don't want Wenger anywhere near it.

He'll almost certainly buy shit in positions where it isn't needed with three minutes of the window left. There is also a fair chance that the player will have already been flogged to near death with a bag of spanners.

The main problem is not the lack of players, it is the manager. He has to go, this club is a dying unfollowable mess with him in charge.

:gp: I feel the same way. Got a little stick for when a said this a while back but I can't see Wenger spending the money wisely. His poor decisions and poor man management just compounds the problem and results in more bodies needed to plug the gaps. We started off looking light on defenders but were spoilt for choice in the central midfield department. Now it's looking like we're an injury away from a central midfield crisis. How is that possible?

Give him more money and he'll just piss it up the wall. From his comments in the press about the window, it seems as though he's still as delusioional as ever about what the team needs and has no firm idea of who to buy. Even if he did, he'll just run them into the ground to the point of exhaustion or injury if purchased and piss off the backup player that's been playing the benchwarmer role in the process. Just look at Rosicky, Cambell and Podolski as examples. Instead of making best use of his bench, he'd rather shift a first teamer regular to an unfamiliar position which works against us like a double edged sword. An exhausted out of form player plugging gaps in an unfamiliar position with disgruntled and out of practice players on the bench.

AFC Leveller
22-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Mertesacker has been a liability this season and seems to have gone backwards. As well as that, Koscielny is broken and Chambers looks shot of confidence so this January, the priority is to gut at least 2 CBs who should come ready to play.

We look so easy to open up and simply cannot keep a clean sheet, esp away from home.

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2014, 11:27 AM
There's enough in this squad to put a decent team together, just need a guy who can do that.

Master Splinter
22-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Koscielny will come back on the 31st of January, so any defensive signings will be ruled out at that point.

He'll die on the 1st of February of course.

Which WUMger will probably facilitate.

adzzzbatch
22-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Koscielny will come back on the 31st of January, so any defensive signings will be ruled out at that point.

He'll die on the 1st of February of course.

Which WUMger will probably facilitate.

So you could say, like a new signing?

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2014, 08:59 PM
So you could say, like a new signing?

Also Diaby can play there.

Bumble
24-12-2014, 07:59 AM
we have been linked with cavani for £50m. just cant see it as crazy as Wenger can be sometimes... just don't think he will spend all the money on another striker when he has already bought Sanchez and Welbeck this year. we do have more pressing concerns elsewhere.

fakeyank
24-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Did we need Ozil when we spunked that much money on him? No.

Did we need 237 CAM's in the team? No.

Good chances Wenger will either buy Cavani or buy a CAM then..

Özim
26-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Getting linked with Van Dijk from Celtic and Milner from Man City (he'll be free), shite players noone wants as usual.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-12-2014, 12:46 PM
We get linked with a lot of players. And buy about 1% of them.

Van Dijk is worth it for the chants that would follow though.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I'd take Milner. Good all round versatile player, hard working, has a good injury record and has played very well this season.

The Dutch giant I know nothing about.

Slacker
26-12-2014, 05:22 PM
We were sniffing around Virgil in the summer and Celtic were making noises about how they were going to hike up any valuations to scare us off. He's young, strong and quick, but it's not easy to see how good he'd be in the Prem at that standard. I don't think he's played in any full Dutch internationals so no comparisons there either.

Not sure why we'd be after Cavani when we need defenders. If we go for him, it's goodbye Poldi and Campbell and I'm not convinced they've had a fair run. Ron Vlaar would be pretty good. I know we won't be getting Alex Song this season but he's only on loan and we're crying out for that kind of player, and he's improved since joining Barca.

Dunno why I'm speculating, Wenger will either do fuck all or something totally unpredictable. Probably the former.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Seriously interested in Cavani of a 'a la Metro' kind of report which equates to BS personified! He would be a upgrade but I want us to see us spend money on the more critical areas....as I think Welbeck can really grow if allowed to lead the line with Sanchez and a fit again Theo either side....Big Sexy is back up although he is doing his damnedest to prove that wrong. Buy at DM.....wave goodbye to Flams(sorry mate) and get some mean motherfevkers to line up at the back

fakeyank
26-12-2014, 06:23 PM
We were sniffing around Virgil in the summer and Celtic were making noises about how they were going to hike up any valuations to scare us off. He's young, strong and quick, but it's not easy to see how good he'd be in the Prem at that standard. I don't think he's played in any full Dutch internationals so no comparisons there either.

Not sure why we'd be after Cavani when we need defenders. If we go for him, it's goodbye Poldi and Campbell and I'm not convinced they've had a fair run. Ron Vlaar would be pretty good. I know we won't be getting Alex Song this season but he's only on loan and we're crying out for that kind of player, and he's improved since joining Barca.

Dunno why I'm speculating, Wenger will either do fuck all or something totally unpredictable. Probably the former.

That man will screw up simple arithmetic (if solving it meant it would be good for the team) :rolleyes:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
26-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Won't really be wholly satisfied with the forward options until we have a world class CF forward.

Song has been unbelievably good for Wet Spam. Even today when he came on against the chavs he looked class. Very unfortunate he burnt his bridges as I'd mos def have him back.

adzzzbatch
29-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Podolski could be off to Inter :wave:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Yay another bench option that Wenger refuses to use gone

Thank god, if we don't burn Sanchez out we won't have an oven ready excuse for winning fuck all

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-12-2014, 12:34 PM
:lol: Klopp in line for Newcastle....... I'd love it!

Japan Shaking All Over
31-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Up to our old tricks again.....going in low, staying low and coming out low, 9m for Sissoko, just so we can say we bid for someone, got rebuffed so it's not our fault......saying that more rag chatter about a bid for Cavalho

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
31-12-2014, 05:48 PM
I don't blame them where Newcastle is concerned. Ashley is always open for business and will sell players at reasonable prices.

10-20 mill will get Sissoko I should think like with Cabaye....

Japan Shaking All Over
01-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Just thinking.....is Sissoko off to Africa Cup?

GP
01-01-2015, 09:40 AM
No Africans plz.

AFC Leveller
01-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Just thinking.....is Sissoko off to Africa Cup?

No, he is French.

AFC Leveller
01-01-2015, 10:02 AM
In terms of DCMs in this league, i like the look of Nzonzy. Very strong, tall and a decent footballer as well.

Munchies
01-01-2015, 12:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6QzO6TCAAAHsBy.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6QxPM_CAAECVvK.jpg
https://twitter.com/Podolski10/status/550619200608563200