PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction ARSENAL v sp*rs - 27th Sep Emirates Stadium

Niall_Quinn
27-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Wenger :doh:

LDG
27-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Should and could have stuffed that shower.

When are we going to wake up, as we have the team to be closer to the front runners.

At least Ozil is starting to glide.

Meh.

Complete selfish end to my post, but spent my first full day with my son with no mum intervention, and 1-1 with spurs didn't spoil it at least. Chinese and wine....it could be worse.

Wenger out!

Globalgunner
27-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Wenger :doh:
Yes he is a keeper. Wenger 2020. The man for all sesons

ARightTouch
27-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Fucking dire.

Started off alright, then decided to give up after 30mins. Didn't start trying again until Spurs scored.

This is a really shit Spurs side that any top 3 team will smash up at home, but we just about scraped a point. Well done

The Emirates Gallactico
27-09-2014, 06:38 PM
No defending it today. Abject and disappointing.

On paper we're miles superior with better and more established players. They're coming of a bad result last week whereas we thought we turned the corner against Villa. The players have a week's rest as well so you can't chalk it up to fatigue either.

Miserable result especially seeing as all our rivals picked up points.

P.S. - Flamini, what a useless waste of time. Rushes into a few tackles and people hail him but there was a reason we picked him up on a freebie. At least Arteta can fucking pass the ball once in a while. We better fucking buy someone in January.

P.P.S. - Shad Forsythe :rose: It seems just as bad as before.

P.P.P.S. - Wenger :doh:

<discovers a winning formation which brings out the best out of his star name player
<decides to abandon it in the next match to revert to a formation that hasn't worked this season

:rolleyes:

fakeyank
27-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Chambers has everything we need for a great DM. If Wenger (yes, Wenger knows lols) had bought more defensive cover, we couldve had a real DM! We now have a fattened headless chicken (flamini) and sideways passing Ken (Arteta).

Might as well end the season today. We are where we will be after 38 games and then hail Wenger's genius :rolleyes:

Globalgunner
27-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Best we can hope for this season is 4th. maybe 3rd, itr depends on how shit Pool and United want to be

Master Splinter
27-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Wrong approach from the beginning. No rhythm, no urgency, no penetration resulting in a glorified training session. And we rarely recover from average/poor starts. We play that way for the rest of the game and end up handing lesser opposition encouragement. We let Spurs give us a game when we should have imposed ourselves and credit to them for taking advantage of our lethargy and individual idiocy. Definitely another two points thrown away.

What's the point in having so many attacking players, when they're barely used? It's so conservative from Wenger in every aspect and it's letting both the players and the club as a whole down. Welbeck, Sanchez, Oxlade, Ozil, Ramsey. They all suffer from this wishy-washy, no-direction formation and approach. We're getting barely 50% out of hugely talented players and it's such a shame. Walcott's return won't mean anything either if he's not getting the right service to maximise his game or he's playing with five midfielders. That's if he he'll even get many games ahead of the aforementioned group of central-minded players.

It's just so frustrating to know it's all there waiting to be unlocked but a once heavily attack-minded manager seems to prefer to not let his players out of their shell.

Ozil, Koscielny, Chambers, Gibbs played well. Flamini awful again. But we shouldn't be fielding pound shop players. Poor games from Wilshere and Ramsey too.

WUMger :doh:.

Arsenal :doh:.

Power n Glory
27-09-2014, 06:52 PM
That wasn't a derby. Totally flat and we just played through the motions. Same old problems in this game. We were lucky not to go down a goal when Spurs hit us on a few counters. Wingbacks bombing forward and recklessly losing possession. We never learn. Today we just went unpunished.

Key positions that needed addressing in summer pop up again. Arteta and Flamini shouldn't be our only first team options at DM. Welbeck looks miles away from a top striker and he'll probably lose his place to Giroud when he's back.

Poor team selection from Wenger again. Ramsey has truly lost it and should be benched. We can't keep trying to cram all of our playmakers in with no outlet. A lot of lacklustre performances out there. Only Ozil and Chambers played well. That's just not good enough for a derby.

Globalgunner
27-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Wrong approach from the beginning. No rhythm, no urgency, no penetration resulting in a glorified training session. And we rarely recover from average/poor starts. We play that way for the rest of the game and end up handing lesser opposition encouragement. We let Spurs give us a game when we should have imposed ourselves and credit to them for taking advantage of our lethargy and individual idiocy. Definitely another two points thrown away.

What's the point in having so many attacking players, when they're barely used? It's so conservative from Wenger in every aspect and it's letting both the players and the club as a whole down. Welbeck, Sanchez, Oxlade, Ozil, Ramsey. They all suffer from this wishy-washy, no-direction formation and approach. We're getting barely 50% out of hugely talented players and it's such a shame. Walcott's return won't mean anything either if he's not getting the right service to maximise his game or he's playing with five midfielders. That's if he he'll even get many games ahead of the aforementioned group of central-minded players.

It's just so frustrating to know it's all there waiting to be unlocked but a once heavily attack-minded manager seems to prefer to not let his players out of their shell.

Ozil, Koscielny, Chambers, Gibbs played well. Flamini awful again. But we shouldn't be fielding pound shop players. Poor games from Wilshere and Ramsey too.

WUMger :doh:.

Arsenal :doh:.
Cant belive you left Ox out of your credits. Without him this would be a loss.

ARightTouch
27-09-2014, 06:53 PM
We must be the only team in the world that can have 70% possession and still not really deserve to win.

70% possession tells you just how negative and shit Spurs were today

Koscielny was a beast, Ozil, Mertesacker and Chambers good too.

Wenger interview lets see what this cunt has to say

fakeyank
27-09-2014, 07:01 PM
We must be the only team in the world that can have 70% possession and still not really deserve to win.

70% possession tells you just how negative and shit Spurs were today

Koscielny was a beast, Ozil, Mertesacker and Chambers good too.

Wenger interview lets see what this cunt has to say

Please tell me he said "little bit handbrake" :haha:

Globalgunner
27-09-2014, 07:02 PM
What does he ever say, Spiwit, determination. lack sharpess. Same as always

Master Splinter
27-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Cant belive you left Ox out of your credits. Without him this would be a loss.

I thought he was as erratic as he has been all season. He gives the ball away in bad positions too often as well.

ARightTouch
27-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Please tell me he said "little bit handbrake" :haha:

Same old shit that always comes out of his mouth after a bad performance

Kept saying hes frustrated. Well, step down then if youre frustrated?? We're also frustrated - WITH YOU

Power n Glory
27-09-2014, 07:24 PM
I thought he was as erratic as he has been all season. He gives the ball away in bad positions too often as well.

Agree with that. Scored the goal but that shouldn't mask a shaky performance. Good goal though.

Xhaka Can’t
27-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Win some, lose some, draw some.

It happens.

But please stop boring the hell out of us every time.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-09-2014, 07:28 PM
As someone who was at the game, I'd say first and foremost that the attitude and spirit of the fans was absolutely spot on, absolute wall of sound when we were chasing the game

I think a few things set the tone for the match, as well as spurs defended I think the referee was a total disgrace and emboldened them to believe they could shove us off the park, dive in recklessly etc and get away with it.

I think although we were doing our usual thing of being caught in Posession and dithering on the ball actually thought we defended ok and Arteta for once looked tidy and when Flamini came on we lost our solidity and they pressed us high up the pitch and forced a sucession of corners.

Frankly with Ramsey I was glad to see him go off injured and with the introduction of Cazorla we had more zip.

It was fairly similar to the Man City game in that we had five ten minute periods where our build up play was quick and incisive and Spurs were resorting to last ditch clearances, but it never seemed to last long enough and we went back to being laboured and trundling about on the ball.

Welbeck started well considering he was so isolated but faded, Ozil considering he was forced wide a lot of the game did well. Chamberlain ran all match and deserved his goal.
Koscielny, Mertesacker looked like their old selfs again.

But in reality I think we played with the handbrake on for too long because our defence was so woefully unprotected.

Letters
27-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Started off alright, then decided to give up after 30mins. Didn't start trying again until Spurs scored.
This is a really shit Spurs side that any top 3 team will smash up at home, but we just about scraped a point. Well done
Yes. That.

Spurs are awlful. They were there for the taking today but we didn't punish them.

Gave away a stupid goal. Overall I thought we defended well today but you give the defence no chance when you give the ball away that cheaply that close to goal.
It really shouldn't take that to wake us up again. Once we'd eqalised I thought we'd probably win but there's just no urgency. We move the ball forward far too slowly so for all our pretty passing and possession we don't look that threatening. And as the minutes ticked down there was no sense that we were giving everything to get the win.

Disappointing.

Still unbeaten though. #InvinciblesTwo #RoseTinted.

fakeyank
27-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Unbeaten run to end next week when Mourinho will do an encore of last seasons game! Oh, it was Wengers 1000th game too.. :haha:

Costa will score a hattrick against our lot!

Niall_Quinn
27-09-2014, 07:39 PM
More like The Unwatchables.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Yes. That.

Spurs are awlful. They were there for the taking today but we didn't punish them.

Gave away a stupid goal. Overall I thought we defended well today but you give the defence no chance when you give the ball away that cheaply that close to goal.
It really shouldn't take that to wake us up again. Once we'd eqalised I thought we'd probably win but there's just no urgency. We move the ball forward far too slowly so for all our pretty passing and possession we don't look that threatening. And as the minutes ticked down there was no sense that we were giving everything to get the win.

Disappointing.

Still unbeaten though. #InvinciblesTwo #RoseTinted.

I swear blind I saw Tiny Gooner on the way back to Highbury and Islington, considering I haven't seen her in years I didn't feel confident enough to ask her.

Letters
27-09-2014, 07:41 PM

It was two pretty poor sides out there today.
Spurs genuinely are a poor side, I don't think we are but we're playing like one.

Letters
27-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I swear blind I saw Tiny Gooner on the way back to Highbury and Islington, considering I haven't seen her in years I didn't feel confident enough to ask her.

Really?! She very rarely went to games back in the day, she may have watched it in a pub though I guess.
Would be nice to see her again, last time I heard from her she was getting married (to a ridiculously tall bloke, given her stature she wouldn't have to bend down to...ahem).

I fear we're veering off topic.

Niall_Quinn
27-09-2014, 07:52 PM
It was two pretty poor sides out there today.
Spurs genuinely are a poor side, I don't think we are but we're playing like one.

We have some very high quality players who are just about managing to scrape results together in the face of rancid tactics and planning. Wenger's decision to put Ozil wide again today after what we saw in the Villa game, surely he does these things on purpose just to piss people off? Fuck only knows what Welbeck's instructions were today, run and you're fired, we don't want that vulgar harrying and hassling from you, sedate would be good, comatose better. Also with Jack, whatever you do Jack keep hold of the ball to see if you can break the record for possession all by yourself. Always run straight, never turn. Don't pass when a backheel will do. I also loved how static we were in protest to Ox and Chambers being so flagrantly energetic on the flank.

Xhaka Can’t
27-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Haven't seen her in years. :(

Xhaka Can’t
27-09-2014, 08:08 PM

I'm going to the Galatasaray game.

If get stabbed, I hope its before kick-off.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Really?! She very rarely went to games back in the day, she may have watched it in a pub though I guess.
Would be nice to see her again, last time I heard from her she was getting married (to a ridiculously tall bloke, given her stature she wouldn't have to bend down to...ahem).

I fear we're veering off topic.

Was he really ridiculously tall? Or was he only comparatively so....for instance compared to yourself.

Lets be honest with ourselves with some guys Tiny would have had to have stood on a copy of the yellow pages just to reach.

Gooner23
27-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Why is Wenger persisting with a formation that isn't working. Just doesn't make any sense.

Japan Shaking All Over
27-09-2014, 08:29 PM
After going one down, I have to take the draw with a heavy heart.....as I really thought if we kept at them we could got another because that Spurs side are nothing more than average. We have much more upside than them but we are just not getting going.......

Flamini......was somebody I accepted last season because why not on a free, in fact, he started well but I always thought we would bring in someone come either last Jan or this summer because this is a position we are in need if.....Arteta is not a player I hate like most do but he is now a squad player and although Wengers loyalty is admirable it is misused in this respect. Flams recklessness cost us the goal but we really should have gone on and won the game......

Can we please just play Ozil behind Welbeck? He is a world class player when played correctly and is motivated because of that fact.......playing him on the 10 against Villa and then out wide against Scum is not with the opposition in mind, if is Rambo Wheelchair or Arteta who has to sit out then so be it.....there is the problem that neither Aaron or Jack are DMA but one of them will have to sit back.....offensively Wilshire has be moving as well as I can remember and Rambo is failing to hit the heights of last term.......could it be him to drop back a bit...I really don't know but we need Danny up front, Sanchez and Ox out wide because they have the pace.....

I like to see us shoot and Welbeck is definitely doing that and I hope that doesn't change however needed to choose a pass from time to time

Oh well at least we didn't lose

Letters
27-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Was he really ridiculously tall? Or was he only comparatively so....for instance compared to yourself.
:p

:lol:

He was ridiculously tall for a girl so ridiculously short :d

Injury Time
27-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Oh just fuck off.
How can we get so little out of some top class players? Spurs were the worst team I've seen in along time yet we were playing suicide football, I presume Ramsay has his leg on backwards hence the injury, 5 minutes of pressure on us due his dumbass passing, not sure what Jack had been smoking...Arteta won a header and a great couple of tackles then dead :rose:, Flamini :ilt:. So we played Alexis v Southampton and rest him for Spurs (presume he's carrying little bit injury tbh), brilliant work.
Gibbs played well, Özil seems to have found his touch, Ox and Chambers tried hard but still around the box we look scared to shoot unless the clearest of sight of goal.
The thought of Flamini as our only "defensive" midfielder against Chelsea makes me want to puke (will WUMger bring out Diaby?). Scrapping for 4th here we come, yay <_<

Marc Overmars
27-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Arsenal. :lol:

So...ordinary.

Japan Shaking All Over
27-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Wrong game to rest Sanchez.....Wumger will no doubt cite midweek CL game and Chavs to follow.....IMO Turks was the game to rest him if there was any......home against Scum was the one to win, Turks was one we could win with a different team and Chavs away was one to see whether we could get anything out of......Wumgers pride getting in the way again (not beaten Maureen yet)

adzzzbatch
27-09-2014, 11:52 PM
It started off badly the police now where to be seen from the Tube to the entrance of Arsenal station (Big fuck off knuckle draggers shouting in a gooner kids ear that wenger is a paedophile and that they're gonna kick all our heads in), then it went from bad to worse on the pitch! The worst fucking sp*rs side we've faced in ages and we made em look fucking good at times! They were shit, but not as shit as we were at times, so clueless in attack I don't remember a cross or corner that reached one of ours first through out the entire match!

Well done to us for getting a point but we look fucking woeful!

Marc Overmars
28-09-2014, 02:09 AM
Chelsea away next week. :doh:

Can we just forfeit this one please? It would be less humiliating than what is bound to happen on the pitch.

fakeyank
28-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Chelsea away next week. :doh:

Can we just forfeit this one please? It would be less humiliating than what is bound to happen on the pitch.

:gp:

Forfeit is 3-0 (according to Fifa game :lol:), so its better than letting it go to a cricket score!

Letters
28-09-2014, 07:14 AM
I think I'd take 3-0 right now :lol:

:ilt:

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Sometimes you serve the lasagne, sometimes its served to you.

We need to eat, get ill and forfeit the match.

Munchies
28-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Wenger going on about having 70% of the ball... :doh:

Done fuck all with it

Penguin
28-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Even if we don't have the perfect mix of players in our squad, it would be nice if the manager could pick the right team and use the right tactics to get the best out of the bunch we have. But no, our manager prefers to handicap us by leaving our best player on the bench, playing players out of position and continuing with the same slow, ineffective, and boring style of football that has failed us time and time again.

Meh. Another battle for fourth and a trophyless season. :sleep:

Penguin
28-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Wenger going on about having 70% of the ball... :doh:

Done fuck all with it
If only there was a trophy for pointless possession.

We're not even good at it. Liverpool and even Everton play better possession football than us because they do it faster and with more purpose. Whereas for us it's just our two centrebacks passing back and forth to each other. Amazing.

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Yup. This is the season of the Unwatchables.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I didn't think Chamberlain was very good but for his goal which is disappointing as he was shaping up nicely in pre season. Same again for Rambo. The latter will get the game time to work through it but Chamberlain probably won't so he will need to do more to impress.

I didn't think Mertesacker's ball to Flamini was the best, but Flamini has been poor this season and was again. Welbeck needs to do more to get into games like this and Jack needs to stop kicking out after the ball has already rolled beyond as well as the man. I thought Ozil and Ramsey looked better than they have done.

Sanchez seems to be rolling up one side of his shorts every time the game grinds to a halt. Just get him a pack of Arsenal speedos out the Armoury for heaven's sake! He most definitely should have started though.

Munchies
28-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Will Wenger continue with this 4-1-4-1 shit against Chelsea?

Better just park the bus.

4-6-0

adzzzbatch
28-09-2014, 11:16 AM

4-6-0

With our defence? :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Only one team is going to leave Scumford Bridge with its unbeaten record in tact.

The Emirates Gallactico
28-09-2014, 11:46 AM

4-6-0

That's another terrible thing about the result - it puts even more pressure on us for next week at the Bridge.

Had we won yesterday, I would have taken a "park the bus" draw next week but now that's just going to feed into a narrative of more dropped points and falling even further behind our rivals.

FFS Wenger.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Shite tactically
Shite team selection
Shite player positioning

But still we have people telling us Wenger can't be replaced

:haha:

Bumble
28-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I thought we played ok but thought spurs defended reasonably well.

Flamini is shocking. Great dummy by welbeck.

Not overly looking forward to shamford bridge as Chelsea will score first from something sloppy or dubious and we will huff and puff for nothing.

Munchies
28-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Good to see Lukas Podolski is keeping himself busy whilst everyone else plays football at #AFC

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BynsLveIMAERa71.jpg

PodolskiLAD :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Shite tactically
Shite team selection
Shite player positioning

But still we have people telling us Wenger can't be replaced

:haha:
Who (other than the voices in your head) is telling you that?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Letters, the trio of knobs and that herbert bloke

Gooner23
28-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Only saw the last 20 mins yesterday. Just found out Alexis started on bench, WTF! Wumger at his very very best.

Ernesto
28-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I just can't believe how boring we've become. The BBC website described last night's game as "highly entertaining". In what universe was that entertaining?! I can probably fish out five Championship games yesterday that were better.

Maybe we need more pace? Maybe we need Wilshere to become the next Vieira, or whatever he was billed as two seasons ago. Whatever the issue, I know this team have it in them to play very much like Liverpool were at the back end of last season, but we'ré not.

Letters
28-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Letters

Can you post a link to my post where I said that?

fakeyank
28-09-2014, 03:14 PM
I just can't believe how boring we've become. The BBC website described last night's game as "highly entertaining". In what universe was that entertaining?! I can probably fish out five Championship games yesterday that were better.

Maybe we need more pace? Maybe we need Wilshere to become the next Vieira, or whatever he was billed as two seasons ago. Whatever the issue, I know this team have it in them to play very much like Liverpool were at the back end of last season, but we'ré not.

Exactly! I am just glad that Wenger will be shown for the pretender that he is, now that there is money. We have been playing absolute shite football for many seasons now. If I were not an Arsenal fan, I would not switch on the TV to watch us play. Teams like Pool, City, Utd, Everton or Saints play something which is so easy on the eye.

Winning the PL or CL can be done by 1 team only and while I do not expect us to challenge every season (Which we dont do any way!), we should at least be entertaining the fans for paying the highest ticket prices in the world.

Letters
28-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Why would you be glad? :unsure:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Can you post a link to my post where I said that?

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3089&p=423438&viewfull=1#post423438

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Chesney costing us points again

The number of times he's saved a shot then looked to play the ball out quick only for him to put the defenders right in it and cost us a goal

Fucking clown.

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 04:24 PM
I noticed that too. He was very lucky not to get called on that.

In fact when he picked up the ball and went running like a loon to the edge of the box for no reason, Merts tried to get him to slow things down a bit. But all Chesney did was put us under unnecessary pressure. He does this a lot and coupled with his chronically bad distribution, it is going to cost us goals.

Letters
28-09-2014, 04:25 PM
He isn't having a great season and his mistakes will cost us but IMO the goal wasn't his fault yesterday.
His distribution has been pretty patchy.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2014, 04:30 PM
I noticed that too. He was very lucky not to get called on that.

In fact when he picked up the ball and went running like a loon to the edge of the box for no reason, Merts tried to get him to slow things down a bit. But all Chesney did was put us under unnecessary pressure. He does this a lot and coupled with his chronically bad distribution, it is going to cost us goals.

Neville analysed Chesney on MNF last week and it was eye opening. Basically said we won't win the league with him in goal because even though he is a good shot stopper, his other deficiencies will always cost us points. One of which is his quick distribution that puts us under pressure, and leads to a bucket load of goals being conceded.

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 04:37 PM
He isn't having a great season and his mistakes will cost us but IMO the goal wasn't his fault yesterday.
His distribution has been pretty patchy.

He initiated the move that led to the goal. He put the defense under pressure it need not have been under, even after Merts tried to slow him down, the ball was distributed too quickly with no prospect of an advantage to us from him doing so.

That said, there was no excuse for the way in which possession was lost.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Disaster goal was crafted by Wenger, initiated by Chesney and executed with customary precision by Flamini who is the consummate fuck-up. Giving away that one goal might be the difference between the title and runner-up spot, or the difference between a 4th a 5th place finish. Every dropped point is a major fuck up and there's never an acceptable excuse for it unless it's to say the other team was simply better. That hardly applies to the spuds who are tied the worst team I've seen so far this season with Burnley. To only draw with that shower of spuds is a disgraceful performance. At home as well. Inexcusable.

Penguin
28-09-2014, 05:03 PM
I agree about Chesney's distribution in general, he doesn't use the ball intelligently and regularly puts us under unnecessary pressure. But for yesterday's goal I don't think we can blame him as Chambers had acres of space around him when Chesney throws it to him.

Flamini also had plenty of space when he got the ball, but he fucked it up with a piss poor first touch and a complete lack of awareness of who was around him. It's 100% Flamini's fault.

http://arsenalist.com/f/2014-15/arsenal-vs-tottenham/flamini-error-tottenham-score-0-1.html

That's the second big game this season that Flamini has been to blame for us conceding the first goal. Not buying a DM is going to cost us again.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
28-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Letters, the trio of knobs and that herbert bloke

straw man alert straw man alert!!!!

My point is that we shouldn't be replacing Wenger just for the sake of getting rid of him, but that he should be replaced only by top quality, still haven't seen anything that convinces me Martinez is that man. I'm genuinely a fan of Jurgen Klopp but in a results business it's hard to argue that he's had a good season, three defeats already. Don't get me started on Brendan Rodgers either.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Owen Coyle?

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2014, 05:22 PM
David Moyes?

Globalgunner
28-09-2014, 05:57 PM
We really need to scour the French Phone directory for anyone whose first name is Arsene. That should keep everyone happy.

Xhaka Can’t
28-09-2014, 06:02 PM
http://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/arsene0.gif

Arsene Lupin - new Arsenal manager?

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
28-09-2014, 06:14 PM
straw man alert straw man alert!!!!

My point is that we shouldn't be replacing Wenger just for the sake of getting rid of him, but that he should be replaced only by top quality, still haven't seen anything that convinces me Martinez is that man. I'm genuinely a fan of Jurgen Klopp but in a results business it's hard to argue that he's had a good season, three defeats already. Don't get me started on Brendan Rodgers either.

:lol: Yeah because Wenger is doing such a fantastic job isn't he.

Letters
28-09-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't know about 'fantastic' but Moyes, one of the replacements seriously suggested on here, just took the reigning champions to 7th place.
There's no point in replacing Wenger with just anyone on the basis that any idiot could do better. There are a lot of idiots who would do a lot worse.
We need to do something to end the Groundhog Day but I don't see how any of us wins by replacing Wenger with someone who would take us into mid-table.

gunnerrrrr
28-09-2014, 06:46 PM
I don't know about 'fantastic' but Moyes, one of the replacements seriously suggested on here, just took the reigning champions to 7th place.
There's no point in replacing Wenger with just anyone on the basis that any idiot could do better. There are a lot of idiots who would do a lot worse.
We need to do something to end the Groundhog Day but I don't see how any of us wins by replacing Wenger with someone who would take us into mid-table.

Wasnt it "Arsene who?" at one stage.

My point being, the risk is surely worth it? W currently have a guy who it is abundantly clear to see is no longer as shrewd or perhaps modern as he needs to be. To add to this, Wenger refuses to accept help it seems, is definitely stubborn and has made some shocking moves in the transfer market for the last 5/6 years.

Of course we would all like Klopp or someone of that ilk, but i am sure a club our size can scout some brilliant world class up and coming younger managers.

Wenger has just become a massive parody of himself and i actually believe it hurts the club financially not to have a more forward thinking, hungry manager in place. We live in a time where history doesnt mean as much as us fans would pretend it does, we live in a time where glory, media exposure and star names mean bigger fan bases and more lucrative sponsorship contracts. However to secure these contracts you have to be a wining or challenging football club both domestically and in Europe.

Wenger just seems incapable now of being a winning manager as he gets easily out thought and out fought by even the most average of manager.

Globalgunner
28-09-2014, 07:35 PM

I see, you only want a no risk replacement because Wenger is doing such a bang up job.
Im pretty sure Big Sam and Mark Hughes have been mentioned somewhere on some thread on this forum. So maybe we who want Wenger replaced have also suggested them too in the past. Letters wont have a sensible discussion on this topic. If you say he doesn't want Wenger replaced. He will pipe up with. " Where did I say that?". However all he ever says is " Don`t replace Wenger because there is a risk the next manager could be worse. FFS! That like saying Don't go to work tomorrow, there's a chance you could get run over by a wayward driver. The only thing Wenger guarantees is stagnation and if not for Pool and United being crap right now, we would have no hope of 4th even. Wake up, the man is done. The club has become a pliable instrument to his pride. Pride that is rapidly turning into laughable hubris. 4th place is not the be all and end all of our ambitions or capabilities as a club.

Injury Time
28-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I see, you only want a no risk replacement because Wenger is doing such a bang up job.
Im pretty sure Big Sam and Mark Hughes have been mentioned somewhere on some thread on this forum. So maybe we who want Wenger replaced have also suggested them too in the past. Letters wont have a sensible discussion on this topic. If you say he doesn't want Wenger replaced. He will pipe up with. " Where did I say that?". However all he ever says is " Don`t replace Wenger because there is a risk the next manager could be worse. FFS! That like saying Don't go to work tomorrow, there's a chance you could get run over by a wayward driver. The only thing Wenger guarantees is stagnation and if not for Pool and United being crap right now, we would have no hope of 4th even. Wake up, the man is done. The club has become a pliable instrument to his pride. Pride that is rapidly turning into laughable hubris. 4th place is not the be all and end all of our ambitions or capabilities as a club.
http://www.lasportsanostra.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/arsene-wenger-manages-a-smile-pic-getty-89992389.jpg

Letters
28-09-2014, 08:08 PM

There's no such thing as a no risk replacement, obviously. But clearly we need to try and find someone better, not someone different. Whilst I think pretty much everyone agrees we need to look beyond Wenger now, there is no point at all in replacing him with someone worse. Of course there's no guarantee the next manager will be better but some of the names mentioned on here are pretty much guaranteed to be worse.

However all he ever says is " Don`t replace Wenger because there is a risk the next manager could be worse.

That isn't what I've said.

That like saying Don't go to work tomorrow, there's a chance you could get run over by a wayward driver.

It is nothing like saying that :lol:

fakeyank
28-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Why would you be glad? :unsure:

Because his failure to improve our squad over the last few season has been less about money being spent. It was more related to him being stubborn and being a mediocre tactician and man manager. People always hid behind the "he has no money" excuse for too long. Now he will be exposed and its high time he is exposed for being what he is- a once great manager who is at best mediocre right now.

Niall_Quinn
28-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Evidently some people just don't get what football is these days. It's a business first and a sport an increasingly distant second. In the eyes of the people who employ him Wenger is indeed doing a fantastic job and whether we like it or not that's all that counts. Any business that expands at the rate Arsenal is expanding is considered a successful business. We saw the last lot of owners jump with half a billion quid hanging out of their back pockets, having invested next to nothing. It was Wenger who made their gold digging look respectable. They "loved" the club a fraction as much as an Abramovich (who at least digs in his own pocket). Arsenal's growth has been sold and sustained by the results Wenger has achieved on the pitch, including the results of the last decade. Keep bums on seats and wallets open - and he's doing that. If that doesn't suit some fans then get your chequebook out and make a bid, that's the only way you'll get a say.

There's so much more to this club than the tactics and formations and falls at the final hurdle that Wenger is rightly criticised for by the fans. There's the huge amount of cash tumbling into the club, the rocketing share value, the important stuff. Player signings, tours, these are not for the fans but for the prestige and hence the earnings potential of the club. The fact the fans get all doe eyed about it is a freebie. People should get real here just for a minute. You're talking about one of the Walmart gang and a Russian gangster, a slick yank marketing shark and so on. None of these people have any place in football in the first place but here they are. And you hear some fans saying get Wenger out (the football man) and get the Russian in. What do you think caused all the problems in football in the first place? Why do you think managers who underachieve on the pitch are untouchable? Grow up maybe.

The replacement for Wenger will come in when the money men decide it and it will be done in such a way as to continue the growth of the club. Just as with any business. Until then, complaining about Wenger's oddities on the pitch is entirely legitimate but bitching on about him being at the club is a waste of breath and an enduring pain for the majority of fans who can see beyond the end of their own noses.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
28-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Evidently some people just don't get what football is these days. It's a business first and a sport an increasingly distant second. In the eyes of the people who employ him Wenger is indeed doing a fantastic job and whether we like it or not that's all that counts. Any business that expands at the rate Arsenal is expanding is considered a successful business. We saw the last lot of owners jump with half a billion quid hanging out of their back pockets, having invested next to nothing. It was Wenger who made their gold digging look respectable. They "loved" the club a fraction as much as an Abramovich (who at least digs in his own pocket). Arsenal's growth has been sold and sustained by the results Wenger has achieved on the pitch, including the results of the last decade. Keep bums on seats and wallets open - and he's doing that. If that doesn't suit some fans then get your chequebook out and make a bid, that's the only way you'll get a say.

There's so much more to this club than the tactics and formations and falls at the final hurdle that Wenger is rightly criticised for by the fans. There's the huge amount of cash tumbling into the club, the rocketing share value, the important stuff. Player signings, tours, these are not for the fans but for the prestige and hence the earnings potential of the club. The fact the fans get all doe eyed about it is a freebie. People should get real here just for a minute. You're talking about one of the Walmart gang and a Russian gangster, a slick yank marketing shark and so on. None of these people have any place in football in the first place but here they are. And you hear some fans saying get Wenger out (the football man) and get the Russian in. What do you think caused all the problems in football in the first place? Why do you think managers who underachieve on the pitch are untouchable? Grow up maybe.

The replacement for Wenger will come in when the money men decide it and it will be done in such a way as to continue the growth of the club. Just as with any business. Until then, complaining about Wenger's oddities on the pitch is entirely legitimate but bitching on about him being at the club is a waste of breath and an enduring pain for the majority of fans who can see beyond the end of their own noses.

-----------

Allowing Jabba the Rapist to own our club is financially and morally speaking about as responsible as playing quazar inside the cooling tower at Sellafield, it infuriates me the amount of people who want to see him take over.....it's like wanting a tumour on your throat to grow malignant because it will make your voice sound more cool.

No-one is a fan of Wenger, even his erstwhile greatest admirers looked upon him signing a three year contract extension with trepidation, and what's more frustrating about his stubborn and often negligent management of the club is the staggering amount he earns. I wouldn't mind but this is a guy whose house in london simply has to be littered with complimentary samples from hotel rooms......

The simple fact is the likes of Kroenke and Usmanov have been the most alarming agents of change, Kroenke especially ingratiated himself with the Old Bank of England crowd....the old school of Dein, Fiszman, Edelman have all now gone....Hill-Wood has gone into suspended animation until they find a cure for mortality....no-one left gives a fuck...no accountability for the manager.

Letters
28-09-2014, 10:07 PM
I think the reason he earns so much is that he's not just a football coach, he's far more involved with the running of all aspects of the club than pretty much any other football manager. Whether he should be that involved is another matter, and that is another thing which makes him difficult to replace.

Injury Time
28-09-2014, 10:39 PM
I think the reason he earns so much is that he's not just a football coach, he's far more involved with the running of all aspects of the club than pretty much any other football manager. Whether he should be that involved is another matter, and that is another thing which makes him difficult to replace.

So what other roles does he have?

Globalgunner
29-09-2014, 04:37 AM
He also grooms Gunnersaurus and coaches him on tactics and etiquette. However where it matters most, in the Mascot olympics. Our Dinosaur usually comes last(4th).

Grebbo
29-09-2014, 08:10 AM
We'd have easily won the game if Flamini didn't have a moment of shitness. We didn't play great but Spurs were piss poor.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with Chesney's distribution. That stupid kick that led to Man city's equaliser the other week and he always seems to give our players the ball in tight situations rather than just punt it up field. Someone needs to tell him that he cannot always start off attacks from the back. Flamini still fucked up but Chesney should have distributed better.

Letters
29-09-2014, 08:17 AM
He also grooms Gunnersaurus and coaches him on tactics and etiquette. However where it matters most, in the Mascot olympics. Our Dinosaur usually comes last(4th).

He seems to act more like a director than a manager. He was very involved in the design of the stadium and before that our training facilities. And he's obviously far more involved in our finances than is perhaps healthy (although he does have a degree in Economics so better him than someone like 'Arry).

Gooner23
29-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Wenget can fuck off with the conservative team selection against Gala on Weds.

At least with the injuries it hopefully forces his hand into playing more attacking. I'd like to see Diaby, Rosicky and Ozil in midfield with Sanchez, Ox and Welbeck the front 3.

Injury Time
29-09-2014, 09:03 AM

He seems to act more like a director than a manager. He was very involved in the design of the stadium and before that our training facilities. And he's obviously far more involved in our finances than is perhaps healthy (although he does have a degree in Economics so better him than someone like 'Arry).
Can you (anyone) be more specific about his current role(s)?

Letters
29-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Can you (anyone) be more specific about his current role(s)?

We're all speculating a bit but the thing about the training ground and stadium isn't speculation. He's constantly criticised on here for being too involved in too much at the club, are you now saying he isn't?

selassie
29-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Stepping away from the Wenger in/out debate I am really concerned about our performances this season and the amount of errors that have crept into our game.

I personally feel there are a couple of major flaws with both the personnel in the team and the formation that we are currently employing. Look I accept that it is very easy to say "the formation isn't working scrap it" but I fail to see how Wenger is going to get a good winning formula out of shoe-horning "Wilshere, Ramsey & Ozil" into the same team, what makes it even worse is that Ozil is shunted out wide. Add that to the fact that none of the players appear to be comfortable in this new formation, it benefits none of them!

Saturday was just another typical "Arsenal" performance this season, passively dominating the game with possession without really opening them up or at least not as much as we should be doing. No real defined roles, just a collection of players all doing their own thing.

I think Wenger has a lot of work to do with this team, a lot more than just "letting them go out and play".

Injury Time
29-09-2014, 09:37 AM
We're all speculating a bit but the thing about the training ground and stadium isn't speculation. He's constantly criticised on here for being too involved in too much at the club, are you now saying he isn't?

I'm intrigued given we (should) have a team of experienced business, health and fitness people in the club (although iirc we lost the main guy for our commercial deals to Villa :doh:) as to what "extra" he does, as it perhaps cuts him some slack from some people, would peoples perceptions change if it transpired he was "just" the manager? Just thinking out loud tbh.

I am invisible
29-09-2014, 09:59 AM
That and nearly 2 decades of accumulated salary increases - now Fergie has gone, is there anyone else out there who you can really measure his salary against in that respect?

With regards to his involvement though, and generally justifying his salary, I think that's a 'then and now' issue? Up until the last couple of years, we did genuinely need him to be quite deeply involved in a lot of things beyond simply coaching the first team (anyone remember that period after Dein was ousted and Edelman quit, but before Gazidis was appointed, where we didn't have an MD or a CEO for about 10 months!), and I think a lot of the accounts from back show that we'd actually have made a loss each year, if it weren't for player trading (which is a nice way of saying that Wenger had to sell half his key players every year, start again using cheaper, less experienced alternatives, and still get us in the CL places)? At that point, I think Wenger was well justified in commanding the kind of salary he was on.

However, that was then - now we're in a far more comfortable place as a club, where most things run themselves quite comfortably, where we don't have to worry about money, and where we pretty much only need a head coach to focus on first team matters, so I don't think it's unreasonable for some fans to wonder whether we still need to be paying someone this kind of salary unless it was tied to a massive amount of success on the pitch? (The irony here being that a large part of the reason that we're in this position [where we only need a good head coach rather than a manager] is because of Wenger's good work as a manager!)

Personally speaking, his wages don't bother me too much at the moment - looking back across his 18 years I'd say he's had about 15 or 16 years where he's genuinely earned it, and only the last 2 or 3, where his list of responsibilities has eased up, and it's started to look a bit ridiculous? It's not a situation that I think should be allowed to go on indefinitely (without the success to back it up), but, by the same token, I don't think it would be the end of the world either, if he ended up seeing out the rest of his contract on what he's currently on...

selassie
29-09-2014, 10:20 AM
That and nearly 2 decades of accumulated salary increases - now Fergie has gone, is there anyone else out there who you can really measure his salary against in that respect?

With regards to his involvement though, and generally justifying his salary, I think that's a 'then and now' issue? Up until the last couple of years, we did genuinely need him to be quite deeply involved in a lot of things beyond simply coaching the first team (anyone remember that period after Dein was ousted and Edelman quit, but before Gazidis was appointed, where we didn't have an MD or a CEO for about 10 months!), and I think a lot of the accounts from back show that we'd actually have made a loss each year, if it weren't for player trading (which is a nice way of saying that Wenger had to sell half his key players every year, start again using cheaper, less experienced alternatives, and still get us in the CL places)? At that point, I think Wenger was well justified in commanding the kind of salary he was on.

However, that was then - now we're in a far more comfortable place as a club, where most things run themselves quite comfortably, where we don't have to worry about money, and where we pretty much only need a head coach to focus on first team matters, so I don't think it's unreasonable for some fans to wonder whether we still need to be paying someone this kind of salary unless it was tied to a massive amount of success on the pitch? (The irony here being that a large part of the reason that we're in this position [where we only need a good head coach rather than a manager] is because of Wenger's good work as a manager!)

Personally speaking, his wages don't bother me too much at the moment - looking back across his 18 years I'd say he's had about 15 or 16 years where he's genuinely earned it, and only the last 2 or 3, where his list of responsibilities has eased up, and it's started to look a bit ridiculous? It's not a situation that I think should be allowed to go on indefinitely (without the success to back it up), but, by the same token, I don't think it would be the end of the world either, if he ended up seeing out the rest of his contract on what he's currently on...

:gp:

Injury Time
29-09-2014, 01:22 PM
15 corners, 1 chance created...maybe Arsene is working through his backlog 'to do' list finally?
(Sauce :Daily Express)

AFC Leveller
29-09-2014, 01:59 PM
What this game showed (me at least) iis that we are very easy to counter attack and if you put pressure on the man on the ball you can have a free run at goal because we commit BOTH FBs forward at the same time and top teams will identify that.

Chelsea last season had a plan and it worked to perfection. They knew Cazorla and Arteta were weak on the ball and would crumle under pressure and their first 2 goals were score through Arsenal players losing posession. When Arteta loses the ball in his position, more often than not, Gibbs or the RB would be out of position and the opposition's attacking players know that and take up that position and score (Eto'o's goal and Schurle's).

If you look at Spud's goal, you'll see exactly what im talking about.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Well if it's true I'm glad it does seem we're at least trying to sort out our problems and Wenger isn't satisfied with what he's seen.

Dein-machine
29-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Well if it's true I'm glad it does seem we're at least trying to sort out our problems and Wenger isn't satisfied with what he's seen.

Are you glad its taken him this long to look at problems we've had for years - for a guy on £8mill a year

fakeyank
29-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Are you glad its taken him this long to look at problems we've had for years - for a guy on £8mill a year

Poor bloke, give him a break. He barely makes a living! He lives his life in little bit poverty.

Injury Time
29-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Poor bloke, give him a break. He barely makes a living! He lives his life in little bit poverty.
Won't someone think of the children!? Actually best not #operationflasherbehindatree

GP
29-09-2014, 07:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-09-2014, 08:18 PM
What Invisible says about the salary..... I would concur.

The ticket price increases and the prices even without the increase looks increasingly sheepish when we show no definite ambitions of setting out to win the best honours.

Munchies
30-09-2014, 05:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByzHHO9IMAIQFtE.png

:doh:

Injury Time
30-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Arsene orders extra corner practise
15 corners, 1 chance created...maybe Arsene is working through his backlog 'to do' list finally?
(Sauce :Daily Express)

Guess its been on the to do list for a while then :ilt:

Marc Overmars
30-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Our corners are so shit they often end up putting us on the back foot because the opposition are able to break quickly, given we would have pushed everyone up. Suicide.

Injury Time
30-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Our corners are so shit they often end up putting us on the back foot because the opposition are able to break quickly, given we would have pushed everyone up. Suicide.

Against Spufs we often had 1 or 2 in the box....the rest outside, waiting for the clearance :rolleyes:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-09-2014, 06:15 PM

which goal was from the corner?...i literally cannot remember it.

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It would be interesting to see how many we've conceded from our own corners.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-09-2014, 09:03 PM

The delivery isn't that bad.

Letters
01-10-2014, 08:39 AM

I had a massive hissy fit at the Emirates when we did that one time. The bloke in front of me (who wasn't NBN by then) told me to stop moaning as if it was completely reasonable to concede a goal from our own corner :angry:

I'd love to see some stats on that.

Our corner delivery is actually quite good right now, no-one ever gets on the end of them though so it's a bit moot.

Dein-machine
01-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I had a massive hissy fit at the Emirates when we did that one time. The bloke in front of me (who wasn't NBN by then) told me to stop moaning as if it was completely reasonable to concede a goal from our own corner :angry:

I'd love to see some stats on that.

Our corner delivery is actually quite good right now, no-one ever gets on the end of them though so it's a bit moot.

On GW, you are the "bloke infront" - you should have got pally with him, you've got more in common than you think.

Letters
01-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Not really. There is a big middle ground in between moaning your tits off at every little thing and thinking absolutely everything is peachy

:tiphat:

Dein-machine
01-10-2014, 10:07 AM
which goal was from the corner?...i literally cannot remember it.

Probably Kos, he's the only one who looks like he actually wants to win a header in either box.