PDA

View Full Version : Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

GP
20-11-2017, 04:47 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/e1ae6b2188b1ed49cc8dd5a0672c31a4.jpg

He has a decent record.

Özim
20-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Wenger needs to get the fuck out of the way now and let this guy do a job he's already proved he can do.

Alas, I can already see Wenger inviting him into his office to share the latest great master plan and show his his, "My Way or the Highway", coffee mug.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about, all these appointments are token gestures if Wenger gets involved.

Cripps
21-11-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm worried about that too but let's hope what's on offer to Wenger at least changes from the crop of crap we have had over the years to the likes of bender, auba and lewandowski. Logic suggests he'll be making a decision from a higher standard of players than what Rowley had on offer:shrug:

Power n Glory
21-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Telegraph says that Sven will answer to Gazidis. Considering what he has gone through at Dortmund with Tuchel, I can't imagine him signing on for a club where he'll be at odds with the manager again. Job title sounds like he is more than just a scout.

Either way, if Wenger plans on sticking around, he needs to play ball. Can't make excuses about lack of signings and drop sly nuggets about 'not being the only one' involved now that we have a new team around him. Sounds like Rowley was his sacrificial lamb on that front. Dick Law as well. We'll see how this pans out but it's a good move for the club. Sets us up well for life without Wenger.

Cripps
21-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Sounds as if gazidis wants the guy to report into him so he has the final say instead of Wenger. This way Wenger can't bat away the suggestions.

It's an interesting little scenario opening up between Wenger and gazidis. Gazidis seems adamant to apply the catalyst for change he was talking about. Hopefully this is a way of slowly eroding wengers power to a point where he can be gone.

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Somebody needs to find a catalyst for getting the wallet out in January or else we are in deep, deep shit. Even then, I can't see this new guy being able to come in a few weeks in advance and run an effective window. It all seems to have been left until the last minute as usual.

Cripps
21-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Replacing ozil is easy. Not worried about that.

Sanchez is the worry. Saw an article saying we were after mahrez. Can definetly see Wenger doing that.

Power n Glory
21-11-2017, 02:36 PM
I have no real hopes for this season. Best we can hope for is a Top 4 finish or the Uefa Cup, maybe another FA Cup and give Wenger the perfect platform to fuck off.

Would be interesting to hear Rowley's side of the story. The press have said he's had enough of taking the blame. From who? It sounds as if he's getting the blame from both Wenger and Gazidis. When things are slow in the transfer front, Wenger passes the buck and says he's not the only one involved when it comes to signings. But he's also quick to drop names when the latest big name in football moves to a rival club and add them to the legendary 'we could have signed him' list. If he's aware of these players, how comes we still drop the ball? Surely, Rowley has done his job if he spots these players before anyone else?

Özim
21-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Somebody needs to find a catalyst for getting the wallet out in January or else we are in deep, deep shit. Even then, I can't see this new guy being able to come in a few weeks in advance and run an effective window. It all seems to have been left until the last minute as usual.

We won't sign anyone in January, there's noone available remember, big clubs don't want to sell their players then. We're already in trouble, we're losing 80 million worth of talent and will look to spend less than half that to replace them, this club is going down the pan, I don't hold any hope of improvement because noone really gives a damn at the club.

Of the big clubs we're in by far the worst state, so much for Wenger leaving us in a good place, as a club we're a total mess with assets about to walk away for free, no wish to spend more than we recoup and no direction.

These one off wins against decent clubs just help keep the old dinosaur in the job and from what we can see he'll be there for a long time yet.

Özim
21-11-2017, 02:42 PM
I have no real hopes for this season. Best we can hope for is a Top 4 finish or the Uefa Cup, maybe another FA Cup and give Wenger the perfect platform to fuck off.

Would be interesting to hear Rowley's side of the story. The press have said he's had enough of taking the blame. From who? It sounds as if he's getting the blame from both Wenger and Gazidis. When things are slow in the transfer front, Wenger passes the buck and says he's not the only one involved when it comes to signings. But he's also quick to drop names when the latest big name in football moves to a rival club and add them to the legendary 'we could have signed him' list. If he's aware of these players, how comes we still drop the ball? Surely, Rowley has done his job if he spots these players before anyone else?

Me neither, we're not in the top 4 sides now but top 4 is possible if other clubs mess us, I think we'll struggle though, as for the Europa league, some decent teams are going to end up in there and I don't much fancy our chances against tactically superior opposition, we've got an outside chance at best, we haven't been all that great against a bunch of nobodies so far.

Wenger doesn't want to spend that's the issue, he'll only spend what he can recoup (maybe a little more) so that he can deliver a profit, that's his goal, he's more of an accountant than manager, but with our two top players walking away for free, that should impact his profit making significantly, in fact the only thing he does well he'll have failed at as well.

All in all one big failure on all fronts.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-11-2017, 02:48 PM
From what I can gather, bit of A bit of B

Wenger and Gazidis are definitely making him a scapegoat for their own blundering in the summer. But Rowley is known to be terrible at his job. If Gazidis has decided to make an example of one of Wengers sacred cows (well not that sacred, I imagine Wenger would be prepared to throw anyone under the bus to protect himself) than it’s a positive step but then again this new guy can recommend as many players as he likes, if Wengers beloved Stat DNA program doesn’t concur it won’t mean a tuppeny fuck.

Personally I’d be happy to get rid of Ospina, Ramsey, Coquelin, Xhaka, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Chambers, Monreal (too old and too slow) and Walcott this summer.
Get in proper long term replacement for Cech, new left back, new centre back, new back up right back, a midfielder like Kondogbia at Valencia, a rosicky type player, a cazorla type player, an Ozil type player and a winger/attacker

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2017, 02:48 PM
True enough. What's really happened here is the club has sacrificed the team in order to keep the manager. Regardless of signings and other staff appointments, that's what's going to kill us in the end. This dreadful decision speaks volumes about the true ambitions of the club.

Power n Glory
21-11-2017, 03:11 PM
From what I can gather, bit of A bit of B

Wenger and Gazidis are definitely making him a scapegoat for their own blundering in the summer. But Rowley is known to be terrible at his job. If Gazidis has decided to make an example of one of Wengers sacred cows (well not that sacred, I imagine Wenger would be prepared to throw anyone under the bus to protect himself) than it’s a positive step but then again this new guy can recommend as many players as he likes, if Wengers beloved Stat DNA program doesn’t concur it won’t mean a tuppeny fuck.

Personally I’d be happy to get rid of Ospina, Ramsey, Coquelin, Xhaka, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Chambers, Monreal (too old and too slow) and Walcott this summer.
Get in proper long term replacement for Cech, new left back, new centre back, new back up right back, a midfielder like Kondogbia at Valencia, a rosicky type player, a cazorla type player, an Ozil type player and a winger/attacker

Stat DNA isn't Wenger's programme. Kroenke wanted Stat DNA and pushed for it. It's the whole Moneyball philosophy that Stan loves. Identifying undervalued players and it's partly why he loves Wenger. My guess is we brought in this new system to help an out of date guy like Rowley but came up with duds. This new Sven guy is supposed to know how to work new tech like StatDNA so if he comes up with some jewels, he'll be in Stan's good books.

Sven's record at Dortmund speaks for itself and that should hold some weight when he gives his recommendations on who we sign. If we don't see results, I think the spotlight goes on Wenger. If Stan is serious about spending as little as possible, this new appointment should be his new golden goose. It should be clear to all now that Wenger has lost it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Kroenke May have pushed for it but Wenger is a definite convert, this is why he comes out with that expected goals tripe

Özim
21-11-2017, 03:25 PM

I'm with you, this will never happen though, too many players out and too many in, at best we'll see 2 maybe 3. There's a lot of work needed on the squad, work that under the current regime just isn't going to be done, it'll be the usual frustrating summer with an early signing in the summer and precious little else until closer to the season (at least they've changed the window so that the window closes before the season starts).

The reality is the club isn't too bothered about losing players or indeed replacing them as long as it doesn't have to spend too much, once done they'll spin it positively as they always do.

Özim
21-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Stat DNA isn't Wenger's programme. Kroenke wanted Stat DNA and pushed for it. It's the whole Moneyball philosophy that Stan loves. Identifying undervalued players and it's partly why he loves Wenger. My guess is we brought in this new system to help an out of date guy like Rowley but came up with duds. This new Sven guy is supposed to know how to work new tech like StatDNA so if he comes up with some jewels, he'll be in Stan's good books.

Sven's record at Dortmund speaks for itself and that should hold some weight when he gives his recommendations on who we sign. If we don't see results, I think the spotlight goes on Wenger. If Stan is serious about spending as little as possible, this new appointment should be his new golden goose. It should be clear to all now that Wenger has lost it.

In truth the spotlight is never on Wenger, he's had every excuse under the sun and still some find more excuses for him, it's all about Wenger but somehow he manages to get a new contract despite of it.

I'd like to think this guy would make a difference, the reality is with Wenger around he probably won't, after all he has all the say on players.

Cripps
21-11-2017, 03:32 PM
I've come to the realisation the old goat won't leave until he himself has had enough. How he survived last season I'll never know. He failed to meet his KPI, there was fan pressure and a few above him wanted him gone but he still managed to stay.

The fan pressure unfortunately has come too late, the years where we should have been doing something we were told to be quiet and that we weren't real fans.

I've been through stages where I've wanted us to lose and for the team to play shite in the hope that the old goat pisses off but he still signs contract after contract. What does that achieve? He'll still plow through and get his payrise. So we might as well try and enjoy the ride in the depressing process:shrug:

My only hope is that it ends up being a commercial decision or gazidis does enough to convince Stan about the dinosaurs tactics & methods.

Regarding the former, 2 Europa league seasons in a row hopefully hits them commercially and makes the rest of the board smell the coffee to the point they think 'crap, we need a change'. But Wenger has about 15 lives so even that probably won't be enough.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-11-2017, 03:39 PM
I get that retirement is a daunting prospect, but surely he’s banked enough money to have as many dusty coloured whores as his heart desires.

Failing that he can open a football academy for kids with AIDs in Guadeloupe

I can’t help but feel we are being punished because he cant stand his giraffe like estranged wife....no one made you marry her. It was only Spurs fans being cunts that started those naughty rumours

Cripps
21-11-2017, 03:44 PM
When you gain power and wealth, the last thing you want to do is give it up. Power breeds power. When you smell money, you want more.

He also has no wife and kids to go home to because he had an affair and they've left him. So football is literally the only thing in his life. He has no family.

Fergie retired to spend time with his wife but wenger isn't in the same position. That's why post football life is so daunting to him. Its going to be a lonely, daunting retirement.

Özim
21-11-2017, 03:44 PM
The whole no repercussions thing is what makes this club the worst club in the world to support, you know that nothing will change regardless of the situation, last season was a disaster and it's been spin intoa positive, this season has been a disaster so far and all we hear is hard luck stories and rubbish about spirit and mental strength.

Any normal person would realise our season so far has been a car crash, unfortunately noone at the club does, they think we're overperforming, that's despite being the most expensive club to watch

Power n Glory
21-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Kroenke May have pushed for it but Wenger is a definite convert, this is why he comes out with that expected goals tripe

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/30/arsene-wenger-gabriel-paulista-signing

I don't think Wenger is all the way sold on Stat DNA. With all the duds we've signed, I don't think he knows what's doing or signing off on. He's always been a stat guy and he used to quote stats to Bergkamp to justify benching him. They used to get into huge arguments over it.

But the overall point is, Wenger earned his messiah status at Arsenal because of his ability to create teams from undervalued players that could play just as well or even better than the heavyweight spenders. We banked on building the Emirates because of this. It's his philosophy that attracted Stan to coming to London and buying shares in Arsenal. There was nobody else at the club that had the sort of knowledge Wenger had when it came to football.

This new appointment changes that. We now finally have someone that knows football with the record to prove it. If Stan is still pursuing this Moneyball philosophy and he's familiar with Sven Mislintat's record at Dortmund, I can't imagine him not holding him up as a new sort of 'Wenger' figure when it comes to transfers. If Wenger pushes back and we still look like shit when it comes to renewing his contract again, I can't see him wanting to keep Wenger. Considering he's on a two year deal and Wenger recently spoke about contract talks at the end of this season, I suspect we're gearing up for Wenger's transition.

Power n Glory
21-11-2017, 04:40 PM
I've come to the realisation the old goat won't leave until he himself has had enough. How he survived last season I'll never know. He failed to meet his KPI, there was fan pressure and a few above him wanted him gone but he still managed to stay.

The fan pressure unfortunately has come too late, the years where we should have been doing something we were told to be quiet and that we weren't real fans.

I've been through stages where I've wanted us to lose and for the team to play shite in the hope that the old goat pisses off but he still signs contract after contract. What does that achieve? He'll still plow through and get his payrise. So we might as well try and enjoy the ride in the depressing process:shrug:

My only hope is that it ends up being a commercial decision or gazidis does enough to convince Stan about the dinosaurs tactics & methods.

Regarding the former, 2 Europa league seasons in a row hopefully hits them commercially and makes the rest of the board smell the coffee to the point they think 'crap, we need a change'. But Wenger has about 15 lives so even that probably won't be enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41760850

I dunno. When have you ever heard of a contract review when he still has a year left on his contract? Why would they even offer him a 2 year deal instead of a 4 or 5 year deal?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-11-2017, 04:44 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/30/arsene-wenger-gabriel-paulista-signing

I don't think Wenger is all the way sold on Stat DNA. With all the duds we've signed, I don't think he knows what's doing or signing off on. He's always been a stat guy and he used to quote stats to Bergkamp to justify benching him. They used to get into huge arguments over it.

But the overall point is, Wenger earned his messiah status at Arsenal because of his ability to create teams from undervalued players that could play just as well or even better than the heavyweight spenders. We banked on building the Emirates because of this. It's his philosophy that attracted Stan to coming to London and buying shares in Arsenal. There was nobody else at the club that had the sort of knowledge Wenger had when it came to football.

This new appointment changes that. We now finally have someone that knows football with the record to prove it. If Stan is still pursuing this Moneyball philosophy and he's familiar with Sven Mislintat's record at Dortmund, I can't imagine him not holding him up as a new sort of 'Wenger' figure when it comes to transfers. If Wenger pushes back and we still look like shit when it comes to renewing his contract again, I can't see him wanting to keep Wenger. Considering he's on a two year deal and Wenger recently spoke about contract talks at the end of this season, I suspect we're gearing up for Wenger's transition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/sports/soccer/arsenal-arsene-wenger-analytics.amp.html

This suggests he’s far more of a convert albeit a reluctant one

Again I think a program like this is only as useful as the person and the data they want to extrapolate from it

This suggests that this is probably behind the seemingly lunatic insistence on not playing Lacazette for a whole 90 minutes

Again I think it’s good to have such a resource at our disposal, same with Dortmund’s former chief scout. But ultimately it might all be a waste of time as long as Wenger is here.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-11-2017, 04:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41760850

I dunno. When have you ever heard of a contract review when he still has a year left on his contract? Why would they even offer him a 2 year deal instead of a 4 or 5 year deal?

I think the idea that their patience with him is inexhaustible is probably wide of the mark, although it can seem that way because of the AGM which was an exercise in full on Wenger defending.
The two year extension is probably as much down to his age as anything. And no you’re right there haven’t been previous one year reviews before, but whether it’s a meaningful review or a tick box exercise geared as a way of saying to fans yes we understand your concerns and we will pretend to take them on board, Remain to be seen.
Is it possible that if we lose Sanchez and Ozil and fall outside the top four Wenger might do the decent thing and walk away?. Yes but given what he did last summer it’s not a big one, I do think part of him would want to walk away but I think he’s driven by a fear of retirement and this belief that he can turn things around.
Whether Gazidis wants to or is able to influence Kroenke more than he did last summer who knows, Kroenke wants minimum hassle and that means keeping Wenger unless the club is in relegation crisis.

Cripps
21-11-2017, 08:56 PM

I really hope you're right but I don't see it happening. You're forgetting that Stan is literally in love with Wenger. I remember reading an article where he says he loves Wenger for his drive, professionalism and work ethic. It sounds as if he's completely besotted with the guy. I even think he said Wenger was the reason why he invested in the first place.

I agree with Herbert on the 2 year extension, it's a compromise because of wengers age. Wenger himself admitted he questioned whether he wanted to carry on and the board know he's on his last legs, so the board probably see 2 years as more fitting.

The thing that interests me is that this appointment is clearly a strictly gazidis appointment. No way would Wenger have wanted someone in with that much knowledge, experience and respect in the game because he sees that as a threat. This guy as you say has a stellar reputation and Wenger doesnt like things like that as he views it as a threat to his control. Someone that matches him. IMO it shows that the choice is purely down to gazidis, which is a move away from the past where Wenger would have not only had a say, but pretty much made the final decision.

The idea of a power struggle is starting to grow in my mind and that provides light at the end of the tunnel.

Cripps
23-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Wenger apparently wants Van Bronckhorst to replace him as manager when he finally leaves :lol:

That would be the final nail in the coffin. Suggesting someone crap so he doesn't do better than you and we slide further down the table :lol:

Özim
23-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Wenger apparently wants Van Bronckhorst to replace him as manager when he finally leaves :lol:

That would be the final nail in the coffin. Suggesting someone crap so he doesn't do better than you and we slide further down the table :lol:

Best thing to do when he quits would be to never let him have anything to do with the club ever again, you can't have him around he just wouldn't let a new manager get on with his work, he shouldn't have a say in the next manager and should have nothing at all to do with the football side.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Would Van Bronchitis be so terrible as long as we have a proper coaching team around him

My attitude is we don’t need a world class manager, we just need a young, innovative one. I know the Eredivise isn’t particularly the cream of European football, but he won the league with Feyenoord.

He wouldn’t be my number one choice, but I think he’d be worth shortlisting

Özim
23-11-2017, 11:26 AM
I'd be keen to get a motivator in, what we really seem to lack is belief and hunger, a manager who can motivate could work wonders. Not sure if GVB fits into that category or not to be honest, he's relatively unproven though.

The problem with Wenger having any kind of say over our next manager is that basically all he cares about is 5 yard passing football, we really want to move away from that though, because firstly it's boring and secondly it just hasn't worked for 10+ years.

What constitutes good football and what Wenger thinks good football is are two very different things.

Marc Overmars
23-11-2017, 11:42 AM
I don't think it would take a world class manager to motivate and coach this squad into a well balanced team, some of the issues we have are so fundamental that most modern coaches would identify and nip them in the bud straight away. Ideally we'd want someone with a track record of success but then you're narrowing the pool significantly. The best managers in the game are all in top jobs, so the chances are we'd have to take a punt on someone young and innovative.

I don't know how good Gio is but it's that sort of profile of manager we'd need to at least look at.

GP
23-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Has he even been linked by a decent source? Load of shit tbh.

Though anyone would be better than Wenga

Worzel Gummidge is available.

Özim
23-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Simeone would be my choice, he could be available and he's a top manager.

Cripps
23-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Too unproven.

They're sitting 7th in an average eredivisie at the moment and haven't won in their last 5.

I know we want a dynamic modern guy in but this is way too risky. It could turn out like moyes.

We should be looking to get someone in the top/near top bracket, and if they aren't available we should look into prizing them away. We offer top pay, a big stadium and a young team. It's an attractive package.

Cripps
23-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Simeone would be my choice, he could be available and he's a top manager.

Don't think the board would go for simeone. Gazidis said we need someone that plays attacking football and simeone doesn't fit that criteria. Shame really.

Trust gazidis to make the right appointment. He knows his reputation rests on it. He'll want to bring in someone that'll do a good job so a) he gets plaudits for the appointment b) there's some heat off him and he finally starts getting some praise as a CEO. His hands are tied currently and I think he'll make a good appointment to take us back to the top and show people he can do his job properly.

If we carry on being a shower of sh*t after Wenger then he'll be laughed out of London.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
23-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I’m in the minority that I don’t want Simeone, what he’s achieved with Atletico is immense but I hate watching them even more than I hate watching Arsenal.

For me it should be about establishing a big list and whittling it down.

For me this list would include - Max Allegri, Leonardo Jardim, Joachim Low, Didier Deschamp, Thomas Tuchel, Ralph Hasenhuttl, Unai Emery and Maurizio Sarri (although at 58 he might only be a short term consideration).

Cripps
23-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Yep pretty much the ideal list.

I think any of those are achievable given we'd double their salary.

Would like an Italian manager ideally as I think they tend to do better in the PL as they don't neglect the defence. Also tactically we are inept atm and they're the best around for that.

Throw Unsy into the mix too.

Letters
24-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Putting this on my letter to Santa :dance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/89-How-Arsenal-did-impossible/dp/B075G6J28L/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1507282758&sr=8-2

Niall_Quinn
24-11-2017, 12:20 PM
When are we getting our Santa names and smileys?

Not that I'm interested in the least, I'm just asking for everyone else.

Letters
24-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Not till December :angry:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-11-2017, 12:28 PM
When are we getting our Santa names and smileys?

Not that I'm interested in the least, I'm just asking for everyone else.

You worry about your own affairs you filthy commie

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-11-2017, 03:53 PM
The best managers in the world are really the best managers amongst the the high profile clubs. You might be working wonders in 2nd tiers/leagues and have everything it takes to be a top manager but you won't be seen as one until you get a top job......Identifying that kind of manager, and giving him the time necessary in a world that wants everything yesterday becomes a problem.

Of course we can and probably will just go for a household name.....but I kind of wish we had both the guts and the nous to sign somebody young and progressive like we did when we signed Wenger.

Cripps
24-11-2017, 03:54 PM
The best managers in the world are really the best managers amongst the the high profile clubs. You might be working wonders in 2nd tiers/leagues and have everything it takes to be a top manager but you won't be seen as one until you get a top job......Identifying that kind of manager, and giving him the time necessary in a world that wants everything yesterday becomes a problem.

Of course we can and probably will just go for a household name.....but I kind of wish we had both the guts and the nous to sign somebody young and progressive like we did when we signed Wenger.

Like who?

Letters
24-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Of course we can and probably will just go for a household name.....
Dara O'Brien is a Gooner, after all :unsure:

GP
24-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Dara O'Brien is a Gooner, after all :unsure:

So is Jeremy Corbyn

Jezza :bow:

GP
24-11-2017, 04:05 PM
So is John Bercow!

I like it when he shouts ORDER!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-11-2017, 04:08 PM
So is Jeremy Corbyn

Jezza :bow:

Corbyn is an AKB

Another reason why he’s a useless cunt

Cripps
25-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Corbyn > May > April > March > February > January

Letters
25-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Why have Arsenal gone all gay? :unsure:
Rainbows everywhere.

Cripps
26-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Arsenal expected to go back in for Lemar in January (daily mail)

Barcelona director Sanhelli expected to leave in January and join Arsenal (mail)

Gazidis :bow:

Catalyst for change:bow:

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Ollie Holt fluttered down and drifted across the pages of the Daily Mail today, and here's what the little snowflake treated us to: (AdBlockers/ Anti-Trackers On)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5117531/Russia-not-racist-nation-England-denial.html

Cripps
26-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Another attempt to accentuate the gentrification of football and turn it further into a middle class, skinny latte fuelled sport.

Slowly the passion of the sport is being killed and we'll be like rugby where fans will sit together. Then the same journos will ask "where has the passion gone?".

Niall_Quinn
26-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Another attempt to accentuate the gentrification of football and turn it further into a middle class, skinny latte fuelled sport.

Slowly the passion of the sport is being killed and we'll be like rugby where fans will sit together. Then the same journos will ask "where has the passion gone?".

We may be the first football team to suffer UN sanctions AFTER being invaded by Americans.

Cripps
26-11-2017, 12:45 PM
:lol:

Power n Glory
26-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Too unproven.

They're sitting 7th in an average eredivisie at the moment and haven't won in their last 5.

I know we want a dynamic modern guy in but this is way too risky. It could turn out like moyes.

We should be looking to get someone in the top/near top bracket, and if they aren't available we should look into prizing them away. We offer top pay, a big stadium and a young team. It's an attractive package.

We give Moyes too much credit on here. Moyes was a piss poor choice for Utd. Won fuck all for Everton but had all this hype behind him because of Fergie's influence. Was spoken of highly before getting the Utd job but I suspect that was the press trying to prop up a British candidate for a top job because so few were getting picked for the major clubs. Moyes got his chance and flopped badly.

Us doing a Moyes would be picking someone like Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche. Similar sort of hype surrounding these guys.

Van Bronkhorst would be picking Villas Boas when he moved to Chelsea. Won some stuff with Porto but a flop once moving to a more competitive league. Considering the position we're in now, it's too risky to go with someone that unproven. Steve McClaren has even managed to win the Dutch League title. Would have to see something more from Gio. Something impressive in Europe and over a number of seasons.

Cripps
27-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Game against Huddersfield nearly sold out

Game against Newcastle nearly sold out

Arsenal fans :bow:

Keeping Wenger in the job until 2045 :bow:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Like who?

No idea.... which is exactly what I had about Wenger before we signed him. I think it's possibly even more difficult to get a bunch of pampered egotistical millionaires to respond to a manager who's name they've never heard of in the current game today so that is obviously a bit of an obstacle.....but that's why we would need to be willing to give him time.

It's not totally unsimillar to signing a new player who very few people know anything about but you have the utmost confidence that he has the ability/tools.

The more you win, the less anyone will pay attention to whatever you exaggerated on your CV or your past.

Cripps
27-11-2017, 02:27 PM
We haven't conceded a goal in 6 league games when mustafi has started. Without him we have conceded 15 :bow:

Cripps
28-11-2017, 11:58 AM
I see Martin Samuel the 40 stone oaf has written another article in the Daily Mail about us :rolleyes:

Couple of weeks ago he admitted journos only write articles on clubs where they know there'll be a lot of hits. In other words click bait.

I'm guessing his article a couple of weeks ago where he left Henry out of his best foreign players XI got a lot of attention so he's decided to keep writing about us. Stop clicking on his articles :doh:

Letters
28-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Agreed. Best way to deal with a WUM is to ignore them.

:coffee:

Cripps
28-11-2017, 12:17 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5122671/Arsenal-appoint-Barcelona-chief-Raul-Sanllehi-week.html

So that former dortmund man in and now this. We're starting to restructure :popcorn:

Özim
28-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Apparently his first job will be to get Sanchez and Ozil signed up, good luck with that one, I reckon Sanchez is out but Ozil you might convince it will just take big money, not that hard to offer more money if you're allowed to, doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Realistically though, we're not Barcelona and getting the top talents will take a lot of money, that's the only reason they would come here realistically, I just don't see that without a monumental shift in policy things will be different, I hope I'm wrong though.

Power n Glory
28-11-2017, 01:09 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5122671/Arsenal-appoint-Barcelona-chief-Raul-Sanllehi-week.html

So that former dortmund man in and now this. We're starting to restructure :popcorn:

Yeah, Gazidis! Another poor attempt at getting himself out of doing some real work. ;)

Cripps
28-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Herbert:haha:

Cripps
28-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Apparently his first job will be to get Sanchez and Ozil signed up, good luck with that one, I reckon Sanchez is out but Ozil you might convince it will just take big money, not that hard to offer more money if you're allowed to, doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Realistically though, we're not Barcelona and getting the top talents will take a lot of money, that's the only reason they would come here realistically, I just don't see that without a monumental shift in policy things will be different, I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm just happy we're restructuring and seeing some changes. We're slowly moving into the 21st century in terms of structure (long overdue tbh). We're actually going for elite people in these positions too not some mediocre guys where the jury is still out. So quite surprised there.

That gives me encouragement that a) gazidis recognises we need elite people at the club so will get a top manager in when the old goat finally decides he's made enough money from us b) there's a growing power struggle. Can you imagine Wenger would have wanted these 2 here? I don't. They're top acquisitions. He'll see them as a threat. That tells me Ivan is working his magic :bow:

Niall_Quinn
28-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Seems there were terms and conditions attached when Wenger went crying for his contract to Stan. It's inconceivable these two heavy hitters would sit there nodding their heads for Wenger's gratification. This looks quite a lot like a catalyst for change, to me. Ivan has well and truly invaded Wenger territory and is attacking deep behind the lines. Could this possibly mean... do we even dare to dream... could this be the last year?

Cripps
28-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Seems there were terms and conditions attached when Wenger went crying for his contract to Stan. It's inconceivable these two heavy hitters would sit there nodding their heads for Wenger's gratification. This looks quite a lot like a catalyst for change, to me. Ivan has well and truly invaded Wenger territory and is attacking deep behind the lines. Could this possibly mean... do we even dare to dream... could this be the last year?

Well they're definetly planning for his departure. Not sure it'll be his last year as he loves pointing out the fact he always honours his contracts but maybe this'll be his last contract :pray:

Letters
28-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Looking forward to NQ, Vieira and Zim at The Emirates when he finally leaves

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39076000/jpg/_39076171_8saddam_ap.jpg

Cripps
28-11-2017, 01:45 PM
:lol:

Letters
28-11-2017, 01:47 PM
And I'll be all

http://www.filmdungeon.com/wpimages/wp22857771.png

Power n Glory
28-11-2017, 02:21 PM
I'm just happy we're restructuring and seeing some changes. We're slowly moving into the 21st century in terms of structure (long overdue tbh). We're actually going for elite people in these positions too not some mediocre guys where the jury is still out. So quite surprised there.

That gives me encouragement that a) gazidis recognises we need elite people at the club so will get a top manager in when the old goat finally decides he's made enough money from us b) there's a growing power struggle. Can you imagine Wenger would have wanted these 2 here? I don't. They're top acquisitions. He'll see them as a threat. That tells me Ivan is working his magic :bow:

If true, it’s encouraging because we have appointed two senior people with real football experience from top clubs. We still have some pulling power. I’ve always hoped that the next manager we’d appoint would lead the charge for modernising the club and tell people like Gazidis the sort of support he needs around him. It looks like we’re a step ahead and creating the sort of set needed for the next manager to thrive.

Cripps
28-11-2017, 02:35 PM
If true, it’s encouraging because we have appointed two senior people with real football experience from top clubs. We still have some pulling power. I’ve always hoped that the next manager we’d appoint would lead the charge for modernising the club and tell people like Gazidis the sort of support he needs around him. It looks like we’re a step ahead and creating the sort of set needed for the next manager to thrive.

These appointments tell me Ivan is well aware of the fact we're lagging in terms of structure, management and methods. Coupled with the catalyst for change comments, it's clear he isn't as deluded as Wenger and can see the wood from the trees. That gives me hope for the future.

I'm excited by these appointments and hope once wenger leaves and Ivan is given free reign, Ivan will remodel the club into a 21st century outfit ready to combat the modern game. And at the top of that list will be a good manager.

Just need Wenger to leave. Please let it be soon.

Cripps
28-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Good article about his stature in the game and what he brings :coffee:

Looks like we've finally replaced david dein :coffee:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5124737/Raul-Sanllehi-major-coup-Arsenal.html

Marc Overmars
28-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Maybe Gazidis isn’t as useless as we think.

Some encouraging movements at the top.

Cripps
28-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Legrove:

No idea how things will work, but you don’t hire Minslintat and Sanllehi if you’re not giving them a powerful seat at the table. Power players like those two unlikely to tolerate being marginalized by an underperforming manager.

GP
28-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Wenger has signed a 2 year extension.

Niall_Quinn
28-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Wenger has signed a 2 year extension.

I was 99.99999999999999999999999999% certain that was a joke.

But I hit Google anyway just to be 100% sure.

Özim
29-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says chief executive Ivan Gazidis has "nothing to do" with buying players following the recent backroom changes at the club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5126935/Wenger-insists-Gazidis-transfers.html

Cripps
29-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Sounds as if there might be some tension between them. Also:

'I know them all because I've been in the game before them,' he added. So of course I know everybody in every club in Europe, basically I know them all.'

Feels the need to big his reputation up. Someone usually does that when they feel threatened.

Let's see how this unfolds:popcorn:

Özim
29-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Sounds as if there might be some tension between them. Also:

Feels the need to big his reputation up. Someone usually does that when they feel threatened.

Let's see how this unfolds:popcorn:

Yeah to be fair, they haven't made 20000 substitutions.

Also as we know if he's not happy he'll go crying to Kroenke asking him to sort out the bad guys.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-11-2017, 10:24 AM
SVEN MISLINTAT
Influential talent spotter who moved to Arsenal from Borussia Dortmund last week to become their head of recruitment.
Mislintat is credited with spotting the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Ousmane Dembele and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang during his 11 years at Dortmund thanks to an in-depth, stats-based scouting database.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5122671/Arsenal-appoint-Barcelona-chief-Raul-Sanllehi-week.html#ixzz4zoaUfix9

Hang on a minute....have we actually just signed a stat DNA programmer?

Cripps
29-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah to be fair, they haven't made 20000 substitutions.

Also as we know if he's not happy he'll go crying to Kroenke asking him to sort out the bad guys.

Maybe gazidis got 2 elite guys in so that if Wenger resists and keeps forming a bottleneck and continues his ways, Ivan can turn around to Stan and say "we have some of the best management in place with these 2 big hitters, and Wenger is still not cooperating/under performing/continuing his ways... this guy is past it stan".

In other words, it'll strengthen his hand.

Power n Glory
29-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Maybe gazidis got 2 elite guys in so that if Wenger resists and keeps forming a bottleneck and continues his ways, Ivan can turn around to Stan and say "we have some of the best management in place with these 2 big hitters, and Wenger is still not cooperating/under performing/continuing his ways... this guy is past it stan".

In other words, it'll strengthen his hand.

The blame will circulate back to Wenger. I can continue to poke his chest out and talk about his 2000 substitutions, the people he knows and players he’s known about since before they were an embryo, if he doesn’t produce the results with the amount of people around him, he just exposes himself further.

Cripps
29-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Wengers gone into defensive mode.

It's encouraging.

He's slowly seeing big hitters around him and people with the same amount of football expertise and knowledge around him. We wanted more football people in top positions at the club and we're seeing it. Wengers control is slowly eroding, he'll have input from X and Y to deal with.

Maybe he'll see Arsenal is heading in a new direction and will do the honourable thing and not extend his contract. One can hope.

Marc Overmars
29-11-2017, 11:10 AM
No doubt he feels threatened. Seen it plenty of times in the past when his management has come under heavy criticism. He just won’t accept any notion that he might not be the be all and end all of this club.

Cripps
29-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Setback for Santi:(

He's turning 33 in a couple of weeks, hate to say it but I don't think he's gonna be making a comeback :(

Penguin
29-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Oh how we've missed Santi. A hundred times better than all of other CMs combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LC8myA13R8

Cripps
01-12-2017, 02:08 PM
We have missed him badly. His tidy little passes and link up play in the middle. Gives us such a flow.

Would love someone like isco in to do that.

Cripps
04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/mark-clattenburg-i-let-tottenham-selfdestruct-in-2016-chelsea-draw-that-handed-leicester-title-a3709361.html?amp

Clattenberg:bow:

Letters
04-12-2017, 11:21 AM
"I went in with a gameplan"?!

Referees don't need a "gameplan". They're there to do a job.

GP
04-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Is he referring to himself in the 3rd person?

The GP hates that.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-12-2017, 12:44 PM
We have missed him badly. His tidy little passes and link up play in the middle. Gives us such a flow.

Would love someone like isco in to do that.
Isco is phenomenal........gutted we'll never have a chance of signing him.

AFC Leveller
04-12-2017, 05:09 PM
https://www.facebook.com/fcbanter/videos/304325253407620/

Niall_Quinn
04-12-2017, 05:57 PM
https://www.facebook.com/fcbanter/videos/304325253407620/

25 seconds.

Can anyone beat that? (No cheating, you have to have the sound turned on)

GP
04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Joke's on you, I am deaf.

Niall_Quinn
04-12-2017, 07:45 PM

Spako

GP
04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Come again?

Niall_Quinn
04-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Come again?
https://www.spako.nl/kookketel-rhu-160-1

Cripps
05-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Clattenberg admits he reversed a decision in Utd's favour :doh:

We were right all along. The league is favoured and biased towards certain teams :doh:

Time to strip Utd of all them titles

https://t.co/VKIFEimJdw

Niall_Quinn
06-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Negative Arsenal fans is a myth. Long suffering, certainly. But not negative. Not on here anyway. When we win a few the place is busy. When the false dawn crashes and burns killing all on board, we get a lone Maccy posting about cricket. And me commenting on the fact I suppose.

Just shows what a decent manager could do. How the fans would be reborn. How the energy would rush back into the club.

But with this guy. Damn. It's like having to return to a coffin before sunrise. The fans are undead, hopefully not eternally.

Cripps
06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Yep

All down to Wenger again

The one thing I look forward to when the old goat finally leaves is hopefully all these memes and piss taking of our club on a grand scale stops. Get someone in and instill a bit of pride back into the club. At the moment we're just a banter club.

Xhaka Can’t
06-12-2017, 07:47 PM

Lucky cunt.

Cripps
07-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Martin Samuel has written another article

How he doesn't think pogba's sending off was a red :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
07-12-2017, 08:03 PM

:doh:

Letters
08-12-2017, 09:39 AM

I think you'll find WUMs don't always say what they actually believe...

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-12-2017, 10:03 AM
If he doesn’t write click bait shit, he won’t have the money to shovel pukka pies into his gob

AFC Leveller
10-12-2017, 10:33 AM
How much cok do Sky suck before these "super sunday" games? the build to this Manchester derby is has been so OTT its embarrassing.

Cripps
11-12-2017, 12:34 PM
We've drawn Ostersunds in the knockout stage:haha:

Are we actually gonna make it past the first knockout stage:faint:

Marc Overmars
11-12-2017, 12:37 PM
There were some half-interesting ties to be had and we draw that shit? Christ.

selassie
11-12-2017, 12:37 PM

:lol: looks like we will make it past the first knockout stage, got to say, the Europa looks very strong this year, Napoli, Leipzig, Atletico Madrid, Dortmund (though they are in bad form right now), Zenit, Sporting and Lyon are all half decent teams.

We will do well to get to the final considering how pathetic we normally are in Europe.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Good luck to the fans trying to get there, it’s about a nine hour drive north of Stockholm

GP
11-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Sweden, home of IKEA.

Lets hope we can be flat pack bullies.

No? Fuck it, I'm sick today.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-12-2017, 01:06 PM
If Östersunds FK was a person, it would only just have reached legal drinking age in the states

Cripps
11-12-2017, 01:30 PM
If Ostersunds was a person, it would be Letters.

Irrelevant, out of its depth and provides a laugh.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-12-2017, 01:32 PM
A GHEL is managing Ostersunds.

Potter for England tbf.

Niall_Quinn
11-12-2017, 01:52 PM
A GHEL is managing Ostersunds.

Potter for England tbf.

Should've give it Unsy.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Should've give it Unsy.

Unsy has had quite enough.

Letters
12-12-2017, 09:36 AM
If Östersunds FK was a person, it would only just have reached legal drinking age in the states

They were founded after Wenger became Arsenal manager :lol:

Cripps
12-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Wenger offers an interesting response to the tunnel incident at Old Trafford: 'When I was in Japan I admired sumo because you can never tell the guy who wins - he never shows his happiness' #AFC @premierleague

:haha:

Nutty professor Wenger :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
12-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Wenger when he loses:

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/600x600/17127543/smug-wenger.jpg

Cripps
13-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Lacazette: "we would really need a miracle. City would need to lose a lot of their games and we know their record. But the goal in coming here was always to qualify for the champions league, and if we could get the title, fantastic"

What a great attitude from our new signing:lol:

Let's qualify for CL and if we manage to stumble across the league then great, otherwise f*ck it at least we have the champions league:lol:

It's like that c*nt indoctrinates every f*cker that walks in at Arsenal with his mediocre bullshit.

Niall_Quinn
13-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Lacazette: "we would really need a miracle. City would need to lose a lot of their games and we know their record. But the goal in coming here was always to qualify for the champions league, and if we could get the title, fantastic"

What a great attitude from our new signing:lol:

Let's qualify for CL and if we manage to stumble across the league then great, otherwise f*ck it at least we have the champions league:lol:

It's like that c*nt indoctrinates every f*cker that walks in at Arsenal with his mediocre bullshit.

The lad has settled in fast. He's picked up the culture Wenger is so fond of speaking about.

Wenger is cancer. Everything he touches ends up diseased. He'd turn Messi into a loser bum.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the above, shows we're aiming to improve this season.

Niall_Quinn
13-12-2017, 01:44 PM

Arsene?

Globalgunner
13-12-2017, 03:16 PM

The virus has spread beyond the players and fans. Its moved into the old interweb too. Behave Maccy. Standing still is not progress.

Cripps
13-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Well apparently we've not gone backwards despite finishing 5th so all is fine...

McNamara That Ghost...
13-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Well apparently we've not gone backwards despite finishing 5th so all is fine...

That was the joke.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-12-2017, 06:30 PM
The virus has spread beyond the players and fans. Its moved into the old interweb too. Behave Maccy. Standing still is not progress.

Dear me.

Niall_Quinn
13-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Dear me.

Trying to wriggle out of it now :sulk:

Globalgunner
13-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Dear me.

:wwf:
In all seriousness. We have qualified for the CL a gazillion times with omly 1 actual tilt at it. Being there has been the bane of our existence for the last 15 years. Part of me wishes we dont make top 4 this year as Wenger will have a bus parade and sprint to Kroenke demanding a new 3 year deal. Enough already.

Özim
14-12-2017, 05:22 PM
The lad has settled in fast. He's picked up the culture Wenger is so fond of speaking about.

Wenger is cancer. Everything he touches ends up diseased. He'd turn Messi into a loser bum.

Pretty much, 4th place is the goal as I've said all along, the title isn't something we're focussed on, if it happens by some miracle we'll take it but hte big prize is the top 4, nothing more.

Bunch of losers, a manager that targets 4th place as his main goal for the season, that's cringeworthy.

Cripps
15-12-2017, 06:28 PM
A brilliant article on Hayden and how a flamini challenge changed his career:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/15/isaac-hayden-newcastle-arsenal-flamini-premier-league?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

And note:

Hayden tells the story of his Arsenal debut at West Brom in September 2013 and how, after Wenger had named him in the squad but excluded him from the team shape drills, he assumed he would be a substitute. When he got to The Hawthorns, it was the kitman, Vic Akers, who told him he was starting. Wenger then dropped another bombshell; he would be in midfield. He had been used purely as a centre-half in training and, even after the game, in which Hayden played well, the manager continued to push him as a defender.

Great planning and man management by Wenger :good: No wonder we're so tactically shit.

And to do that to a young player :lol: no wonder players like Theo have turned out crap.

Cripps
18-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Jamie redknapp reckons de bruyne is the best passer the premier league has ever seen :lol:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Just speaking to guy I used to work with who is Arsenal Season ticket holder

Like a lot of supporters just seems totally apathetic.

His rationale for renewing is that if he doesn’t, if things suddenly change then he won’t get it back

But admitted that even that isn’t such a bad thing and will consider giving it up end of season. Bored of the football being played

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Jamie redknapp reckons de bruyne is the best passer the premier league has ever seen :lol:

Yes, and the gypos are the best team ever and Pep is the best manager ever and they have the best kit ever, best stadium ever. Well worth Sky and BT's subscription fees. And next season will be even better. It's all just better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UPlEzT1bU

Talking of better - look at how much better footballers were back then. Passing, shooting, crossing. The media and TV hype is a desperation levels trying to disguise the horrendous drop in quality, which seems to be inversely proportional to the amount the fans get ripped off for.

LDG
18-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Yes, and the gypos are the best team ever and Pep is the best manager ever and they have the best kit ever, best stadium ever. Well worth Sky and BT's subscription fees. And next season will be even better. It's all just better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UPlEzT1bU

Talking of better - look at how much better footballers were back then. Passing, shooting, crossing. The media and TV hype is a desperation levels trying to disguise the horrendous drop in quality, which seems to be inversely proportional to the amount the fans get ripped off for.

That's a fucking joy to watch.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Adams, Campbell, Henry, Petit, Vieira, Pires, Overmars, Anelka, Cole, Wright,.. Bergkamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktUORRgkXg

Get over yourselves, gypos. Only way you get within a mile of us is when we need some boots polishing. Hype is not the same as genius.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 12:50 PM
That's a fucking joy to watch.

The shite we get served up now, by comparison. And not just at Arsenal but at every club. Boring, defensive, sideways crap. Much of it thanks to one Mr Guardiola and his anti-football tip tap machine that for some unfathomable reason Wenger tried to emulate. When we already had a brand of winning football that would make your hair stand on end. Pure lunacy.

Marc Overmars
18-12-2017, 12:51 PM
His passing was some next level shit but also look at the runs those guys were making, from all angles.

We just don't see that anymore with our robotic nonsense.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 12:57 PM
His passing was some next level shit but also look at the runs those guys were making, from all angles.

Exactly. That's why I can scarcely bear to watch any football these days. I watch out of habit and history, not because I enjoy it. Static, snail paced bullshit. Compared to the joy of seeing Overmars, Bergkamp and Anelka all running in attack formation directly at the defence and just blowing them away. Or Henry accelerating out of the midfield and the perfect pass arriving on his toe, with Pires, Wiltord or Freddie already in position to tap it in should the unthinkable happen and Henry miss. Even Cole and Lauren going forward, compared to now. Kolasinac gave a hint of ambition in his early games, gave the fans something to watch. Benched. We don't need that sort of football around here any more. Tip, tap, backwards, sideways.

LDG
18-12-2017, 01:00 PM

That's the point.

I know that teams learned to sit back against us, but if we had some sort of defence, instead of fearing an attack from the opposition, we should be drawing them in and breaking like fuck all over them.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Here you go (sorry about the "music"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8cCcChsaSA

Look at how the quality has dropped. Players get lauded today for not being shit. That's the difference. With an average of 9 pubbers in every team it's not surprising that players like Silva and De Bruyne stand out. They are competent, and that's now a rarity in the modern game.

Redknapp gets paid to talk shit and he does a great job tbf.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 01:10 PM
That's the point.

I know that teams learned to sit back against us, but if we had some sort of defence, instead of fearing an attack from the opposition, we should be drawing them in and breaking like fuck all over them.

With who?

Pass it square, 5mph Ramsey?

Tap it back Bellerin?

Where's the goal Theo?

Get it square Xhaka?

Back to goal Bif?

Please pass to me Lacazette?

Cripps
18-12-2017, 01:13 PM
I wish the invincibles had been around in the social media era.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 01:16 PM

I think our earlier teams were even better.

Letters
18-12-2017, 01:16 PM
I watch out of habit and history, not because I enjoy it.
Why didn't you say that when I asked? It wasn't a trick question or a trap. I wasn't having a go at you, I was just genuinely curious.
I guess habit and history are the reasons I still keep an eye on it all even though it's not an active eye as it used to be.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-12-2017, 01:35 PM
My favourite Arsenal season is probably the double winning season of 01/02

Henry was top billing, but had to share the spotlight more with Pires and Ljungberg (who I still think was overrated)

But just so many good memories. It had such resilience. Going down to ten men at Anfield where we hadn’t won since 1992 and winning 2-1

The Old Trafford Win (without Pires or Henry in the team) The two assists from Barthez when we beat them at Highbury :haha:

The Bergkamp goal at St James park

The Pires goal at Villa Park

The Parlour and Ljungberg goals in the fa cup final

Winning 13 games in a row to win the league

Unbeaten away from home

Just a great season all round

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-12-2017, 01:39 PM

The nearest thing we had was 606

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Wasn't very social IIRC.

Letters
18-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Wasn't very social IIRC.

You do RC, although they did make a change to it which meant threads got bumped when replied to and that was when people started more social threads and getting to know one another a bit.
And without me being a tyrannical mod on there people didn't get banned all the time for anti-Wenger posts like they do on here.

Letters
18-12-2017, 01:51 PM
My favourite Arsenal season is probably the double winning season of 01/02

Henry was top billing, but had to share the spotlight more with Pires and Ljungberg (who I still think was overrated)

But just so many good memories. It had such resilience. Going down to ten men at Anfield where we hadn’t won since 1992 and winning 2-1

The Old Trafford Win (without Pires or Henry in the team) The two assists from Barthez when we beat them at Highbury :haha:

The Bergkamp goal at St James park

The Pires goal at Villa Park

The Parlour and Ljungberg goals in the fa cup final

Winning 13 games in a row to win the league

Unbeaten away from home

Just a great season all round

Meh. It was no 92/93.

Cripps
18-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Who remembers that basil brush guy who posted riddles? :lol:

Globalgunner
18-12-2017, 01:56 PM

They had a great jokes thread on 606. It was gold. Wish i had copied and saved it back then.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 01:56 PM

There was that absolute arsehole on there called TPFKA, or something like that, remember him? Always defending Wenger.

Letters
18-12-2017, 02:00 PM
<_< I quite liked him.

GP
18-12-2017, 02:02 PM
606 was good for a time.

Original GW was top top top quality.

Letters
18-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Original 606 was quite good fun but the modding was awful, they didn't have the resources to deal with the idiots.
Original GW was the peak. This place was fine for a while but too many people have drifted off (no, not been banned).
Wouldn't take many to come back for it to me more fun on here again. Even today has been OK with LDG around and more people posting at the same time.

GP
18-12-2017, 02:06 PM
That's what you get for banning Cripps for anti-Wenger views.

Letters
18-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Worth it tbh.

Globalgunner
18-12-2017, 02:16 PM
That's what you get for banning Cripps for anti-Wenger views.

IIRC. Cripps thought Theo was quality: Thats a banning offence IMO.

Letters
18-12-2017, 02:19 PM
More seriously, the last 10 years of GW have been ones of fairly steady decline, not stagnation. Stats from the old post, number of new threads per month:

Metioric rise as people left the sinking ship that was 606 and then a slow decline which has continued on here.

The situation at Arsenal doesn't help but I think the whole concept of messageboards is in decline as people move to thinks like Twatter and FB.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 02:32 PM
More seriously, the last 10 years of GW have been ones of fairly steady decline, not stagnation. Stats from the old post, number of new threads per month:

Metioric rise as people left the sinking ship that was 606 and then a slow decline which has continued on here.

The situation at Arsenal doesn't help but I think the whole concept of messageboards is in decline as people move to thinks like Twatter and FB.

Graph shows a massive, record breaking surge for the latest period. GP must have got himself a bot sign-up that works.

Letters
18-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Ha. No, that's just me not cropping the picture properly.

Cripps
18-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Graph shows a massive, record breaking surge for the latest period.

Me:bow:

Cripps
18-12-2017, 02:40 PM

#WeWantOurGoonerswebBack

Letters
18-12-2017, 02:43 PM
#SoDoIAndMostOfThePostersWhoMadeGWGreatAreStillFre eToPostTheyJustChooseNotTo

#MakeGWGreatAgain

Cripps
18-12-2017, 02:48 PM
:lol: propaganda

GP
18-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Graph shows a massive, record breaking surge for the latest period. GP must have got himself a bot sign-up that works.

I don't use bots.

All of my accounts are carefully curated.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 03:06 PM
#SoDoIAndMostOfThePostersWhoMadeGWGreatAreStillFre eToPostTheyJustChooseNotTo

#MakeGWGreatAgain

I'm with her.

Niall_Quinn
18-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Me:bow:

I meant, people leaving.

You :doh:

Letters
18-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Those stats are from the old board by the way so start in 2005 and end in 2011 when we moved here

Dumbledore :pal:

Cripps
18-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Ramsey :doh:

LDG
18-12-2017, 05:12 PM
The amount of posters on here directly correlated with how many women posters there were.

Once the muff left, so did the dirty old men.

Bring back the women, bring back the noise.

GP
18-12-2017, 05:15 PM
They were all biffers anyway.

Cripps
19-12-2017, 11:09 PM
Exclusive: Arsenal deal with mouse infestation after damning hygeine report on Emirates Stadium https://t.co/KPEb0gVfLf

Wenger :doh:

Niall_Quinn
19-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Exclusive: Arsenal deal with mouse infestation after damning hygeine report on Emirates Stadium https://t.co/KPEb0gVfLf

Kroenke must have been taking the stadium tour.

Globalgunner
20-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Rosicky retires
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42426756

Lovely player; we did not get the best out of him sadly due to injuries, but his highs were seriously high. Who can forget him belting one in the Spuds goal at Shite lane?

They dont make em like they used to.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Probably the board after finding out we missed CL football.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
20-12-2017, 08:27 PM
It’s embarassing how badly the club is run, beyond even a football level

Fans couldn’t get tickets for last nights game and the ground was half empty

GP
20-12-2017, 08:46 PM
It’s embarassing how badly the club is run, beyond even a football level

Fans couldn’t get tickets for last nights game and the ground was half empty

The local authorities refused to allow the club to put the tickets on general sale.

Xhaka Can’t
20-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Rosicky retires
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42426756

Lovely player; we did not get the best out of him sadly due to injuries, but his highs were seriously high. Who can forget him belting one in the Spuds goal at Shite lane?

They dont make em like they used to.

Had he been fit all the way through he would have been one of our crown jewels. An unbelievably exciting player.

The highs and lows were summed up neatly in one match against Aston Villa. In the first half he put on a show worthy of Bergkamp and Pires in their pomp. Shortly into the second half he got injured.

You’ve got to wish this guy all the best.

GP
20-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Love Super Tom.

I'd like to ever so gently caress his testicles no homo.

Marc Overmars
20-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Naturally a very gifted player. A damn shame his body let him down.

Xhaka Can’t
20-12-2017, 09:46 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6SFMwU1PWw

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Agree.....fuhking loved that kid! All the best to him.

Niall_Quinn
20-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Twice the player Pogba is, twice as good as any of these hype merchants that bore us to death today. Always knew where the goal was and always wanted to get there as quickly and simply as possible. Great player. Saw he's the last of the players in that 2002 Nike cage advert to retire.

Marc Overmars
20-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Players who can transition defence into attack so quickly are pretty rare.

I don’t think it was just Eduardo’s leg break that derailed us in the second half of 07/08, Rosicky got injured at a similar time and didn’t play again for 18 months. That midfield suffered badly without him.

Özim
21-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Very talented player, just hardly ever fit, got very little out of him in the time he was with us, not sure if it was down to his physique or what we were doing with him at the club as our injury record is horrendous.

Liked the way he'd get stuck in and be quick to attack, wasn't one of the tippy tappy gang which we dread so much.

In all honesty though considering how much he was injured we should have called time on him way before we did, Diaby stuck around forever but Marseille have already ditched him because of his injuries.

Most clubs don't hold onto injury prone players who are almost never fit for 10 years, give them 2-3 years tops, we're like some sort of charity for the injury prone.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Glad it wasn’t just me who loved Rosicky

He is the archetypal example of the cruelty of the game. In terms of raw ability he was world class

I was at the fa cup game at Anfield in 2007 where he just nonchalant as you like blasted two goals from long range

I’m not exaggerating when I say it was a genuine privilege watching him play

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Very talented player, just hardly ever fit, got very little out of him in the time he was with us, not sure if it was down to his physique or what we were doing with him at the club as our injury record is horrendous.

Liked the way he'd get stuck in and be quick to attack, wasn't one of the tippy tappy gang which we dread so much.

In all honesty though considering how much he was injured we should have called time on him way before we did, Diaby stuck around forever but Marseille have already ditched him because of his injuries.

Most clubs don't hold onto injury prone players who are almost never fit for 10 years, give them 2-3 years tops, we're like some sort of charity for the injury prone.

Whilst I agree with you that we really should be more ruthless with long term injured players

Man it was worth it with Rosicky, one of few players we had who could single handedly bring a game to life

Cripps
21-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Agreed

Don't feel the love in that others are feeling. Hardly played, and when he did he didn't exactly set the world alight. He was part of one of the most embarrassing Arsenal teams I've seen.

Bye.

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Whilst I agree with you that we really should be more ruthless with long term injured players

Man it was worth it with Rosicky, one of few players we had who could single handedly bring a game to life

There's going to be a tendency to look back on players like Rosicky with a great deal of favour because, let's face it, the players back then were so much better than the shit heaps on show now. Or at least the non-Pep/ non-Wenger style football being played allowed them to be better.

We need a new manager to emerge who has the balls to un-Pep football and return it to something worth watching that allows the players to thrive.

Globalgunner
21-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Agreed

Don't feel the love in that others are feeling. Hardly played, and when he did he didn't exactly set the world alight. He was part of one of the most embarrassing Arsenal teams I've seen.

Bye.

If you agree that Debruyne is good. Rosicky was even better, just hardly ever fit for more than 3 months....at least not with us he wasnt. A real shame

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 01:27 PM
There's going to be a tendency to look back on players like Rosicky with a great deal of favour because, let's face it, the players back then were so much better than the shit heaps on show now. Or at least the non-Pep/ non-Wenger style football being played allowed them to be better.

We need a new manager to emerge who has the balls to un-Pep football and return it to something worth watching that allows the players to thrive.

Maybe but I went to see Arsenal play during the unbeaten season as well as more recently. And definitely a fit Rosicky would have made it into that unbeaten team, definitely better than Ljungberg in my opinion.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 01:31 PM
If you agree that Debruyne is good. Rosicky was even better, just hardly ever fit for more than 3 months....at least not with us he wasnt. A real shame

No he wasn't. Stop talking nonsense.

Globalgunner
21-12-2017, 01:33 PM

I think your general disdain for Barcaball has clouded your analysis. Yes Pep started the boreball at Barca,,and they still play that way today. But Pep didnt play that way at Bayern and not really with this years City either. It was Wenger who saw it, liked it and decided to make it his mantra with crappier players. Pep has moved on, our old fossil remains where he was when he feel in love in 2008.

Globalgunner
21-12-2017, 01:34 PM
No he wasn't. Stop talking nonsense.

Yes Sir.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-12-2017, 01:39 PM

I could not agree more.....I'd have had him here till he retired the other day.

I've barely seen a player take a ball on the half turn so effortlessly. One of my favourite players of all time.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Yes Sir.

De Bruyne is the best player in the league. At what point was Rosicky the best player in the league?

Marc Overmars
21-12-2017, 01:45 PM
I just can’t believe our rotten luck that the one other player we have with similar traits to Rosicky in Cazorla is also a crock.

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 01:46 PM
I think your general disdain for Barcaball has clouded your analysis. Yes Pep started the boreball at Barca,,and they still play that way today. But Pep didnt play that way at Bayern and not really with this years City either. It was Wenger who saw it, liked it and decided to make it his mantra with crappier players. Pep has moved on, our old fossil remains where he was when he feel in love in 2008.

Fair to say he didn't shit all over Bayern, he didn't need to, they were already at the top. But this latest gypo lot are as boring as the next lot of boring turds. A symptom of all football in Europe, with very occasional exceptions. Pep's fingerprints are all over the new bore-ball craze. Safety first, backwards, sideways, keep possession, tip, tap, then the decisive strike. The decisive strike only working when you have a billion quid's worth of players on the pitch. Otherwise the new game is all about shit breaking down in the final third. You can say it's about the money, the potential losses being greater than the gains, but Pep's paws are all over the money side too, with his money-no-object approach to the transfer window. He's not the only one, there have been a stream of wankers who have come in a wrecked football for their own personal gain. But Pep's a ringleader.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 01:49 PM
I could not agree more.....I'd have had him here till he retired the other day.

I've barely seen a player take a ball on the half turn so effortlessly. One of my favourite players of all time.

:lol: jheez some of you lot love a bit of sentimental tosh dont ya. I know we've been starved of legends and icons lately because of our predicament but there's no need to elevate average and unworthy players to that status :lol:

Have Rosicky here until the age of 37 :lol: He was frustrating a few years ago let alone now!

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 01:49 PM
De Bruyne is the best player in the league. At what point was Rosicky the best player in the league?

One of the best players in a shit infested league. Not the same thing as being a good player in a decent league.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-12-2017, 02:01 PM
:lol: jheez some of you lot love a bit of sentimental tosh dont ya. I know we've been starved of legends and icons lately because of our predicament but there's no need to elevate average and unworthy players to that status :lol:

Have Rosicky here until the age of 37 :lol: He was frustrating a few years ago let alone now!

He would have been on about 60/70k which isn't chicken change but in the age of grotesque money spinning world of football...I'd have made my peace with it on admittedly...sentimental grounds. I'd argue it would not have significantly held us back or stopped us progressing as those issues are more fundamental.

Football without the sentimentality and the alike is just a load of people drinking luke warm beer watching a load of anorexic rugby players isn't it....

Let's not pretend as if there isn't a single player in Arsenal history you'd have had way past their sell by date Dumbledore. :d

Cripps
21-12-2017, 02:09 PM
He would have been on about 60/70k which isn't chicken change but in the age of grotesque money spinning world of football...I'd have made my peace with it on admittedly...sentimental grounds. I'd argue it would not have significantly held us back or stopped us progressing as those issues are more fundamental.

Football without the sentimentality and the alike is just a load of people drinking luke warm beer watching a load of anorexic rugby players isn't it....

Let's not pretend as if there isn't a single player in Arsenal history you'd have had way past their sell by date Dumbledore. :d

It would have stopped us progressing because no doubt the nutty professor in charge would have accomodated him and picked the grandad in the team to our detriment.

And I think as a club we are too sentimental. City, Chelsea, even Utd to an extent are ruthless, and look at their success. How diaby was allowed to stay on for so long is beyond me.. then the manager had the cheek to say we had no money! :lol:

Özim
21-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Maybe but I went to see Arsenal play during the unbeaten season as well as more recently. And definitely a fit Rosicky would have made it into that unbeaten team, definitely better than Ljungberg in my opinion.

Ljungberg brought plenty of goals to the table though and was just as dynamic as Rosicky, the latter probably had more skill but Ljungberg was very very effective and scored key goals, what would we do for a player like him now.

Özim
21-12-2017, 02:27 PM
I do think there's some rose tinted glasses with Rosicky personally, yes he was very talented but in reality he really didn't help our cause much when he was here as he was injured so much and in his time here were barely won a thing and he was never close to any personal awards himself.

Talented player and all that but wouldn't have him in our best teams of the late 90s or early 00s, there was the odd game where he had an impact but you can't say his impact on games was a regular occurence like those before him.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 02:35 PM
I do think there's some rose tinted glasses with Rosicky personally, yes he was very talented but in reality he really didn't help our cause much when he was here as he was injured so much and in his time here were barely won a thing and he was never close to any personal awards himself.

Talented player and all that but wouldn't have him in our best teams of the late 90s or early 00s, there was the odd game where he had an impact but you can't say his impact on games was a regular occurence like those before him.

Spot on

Fairly average player, injury prone, part of an embarrassing banter era, only won 1 trophy (which was an FA cup).

Freddie was light years better and more effective.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Really?

No I’m sorry that’s absurd. Ljungberg played in a much better side than Rosicky, when that team left he was one of the last of the invincibles left and he looked bang average.

Rosicky stood out and performed when players around him didn’t.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Really?

No I’m sorry that’s absurd. Ljungberg played in a much better side than Rosicky, when that team left he was one of the last of the invincibles left and he looked bang average.

Rosicky stood out and performed when players around him didn’t.

He looked bang average because Freddie was over the hill and his pace and legs had completely gone.

Prime Freddie > prime Rosicky.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Exclusive: #ReadingFC academy manager Lee Herron to join Arsenal as part of Per Mertesacker's management structure. He will take up a 'football operations' role at Hale End - Full story. https://t.co/wprFr6QTCr

More behind the scenes shake up :popcorn:

fakeyank
21-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Spot on

Fairly average player, injury prone, part of an embarrassing banter era, only won 1 trophy (which was an FA cup).

Freddie was light years better and more effective.

:gp:

Rosicky had potential, but I dont understand the jizz fest going on about him. If I tried, I'd probably be able to pick 4-5 performances from him that stood out. Ljunberg was a match winner AND most importantly consistent. Unfortunately Rosicky's injuries made him inconsistent in making an impact for us. Sad the way it turned out for him and Diaby. Both shouldve been shown the door much earlier than when they did.

Marc Overmars
21-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Certainly wouldn't call him an average player but granted when talking about Rosicky it has to be a little bit speculative because he was never fit enough to be able to perform with any consistency.

Nothing wrong with being appreciative of his natural ability though. Dortmund still hold him in high regard as well.

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Exclusive: #ReadingFC academy manager Lee Herron to join Arsenal as part of Per Mertesacker's management structure. He will take up a 'football operations' role at Hale End - Full story. https://t.co/wprFr6QTCr

More behind the scenes shake up :popcorn:

Still waiting for the only announcement that counts though.

:tumbleweed:

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Well said. And that's what we're losing from the game. Because it really is just us, the fans, with our noses pressed against the glass now.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Meh fuck all of yous :haha:

Rosicky was definitely in my top ten of favourite Arsenal players of the last twenty years

Ljungberg had one good season and to be Frank it wasn’t even that it was the second half of a season

Cripps
21-12-2017, 04:03 PM

Rosicky was definitely in my top ten of favourite Arsenal players of the last twenty years

Ljungberg had one good season and to be Frank it wasn’t even that it was the second half of a season

:console:

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Rosicky was head and shoulders better than the super-star shit we have today. Then again, so was Hleb. And certainly Freddie. It's not a rose coloured view either. Players today have forgotten how to play. I wonder about the long term effects. Our squad has been so Wengerised, even if we got a decent manager in, can this squad be rescued or has sexy/ hyped/ "expert" bore ball become second nature to them?

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Why is (was) Alexis adored? Because he puts in the effort that was expected by default just a few years ago. We used to laugh at proper players back then because the standard was way higher. Lampard. He'd be worth a quarter of a billion quid now.

Deli Alli :haha:

The hype is beyond belief.

GP
21-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Dennis Bergkamp has left Ajax.

We should offer him a job.

Niall_Quinn
21-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Dennis Bergkamp has left Ajax.

We should offer him a job.

He's not a stupid bloke.

Would love him to be involved with the club again. But I'd hate to see him dragged down to Wenger's level. Bring him back after the old goat has gone.

GP
21-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Sorry, when I said 'We' I meant GW.

He can replace Letters

Özim
21-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Rosicky was head and shoulders better than the super-star shit we have today. Then again, so was Hleb. And certainly Freddie. It's not a rose coloured view either. Players today have forgotten how to play. I wonder about the long term effects. Our squad has been so Wengerised, even if we got a decent manager in, can this squad be rescued or has sexy/ hyped/ "expert" bore ball become second nature to them?

Yes of course, but our players today are pretty poor though, Rosicky was good no doubt but to then compare him to players who played in our best sides and won the big trophies.

Rosicky was decent but doesn't come close to making my favourite players list, he's not even in the top 20.

Özim
21-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Ljungberg was far more than a half season wonder and to be honest even if he was Rosicky barely had that for us, he had some good games but was never consistently good and then he would get injured and it would all start again. He wasn't name Crocksicky and Rosicknote for nothing. Personally I rate Ljungberg far far higher, hard working, a great understanding with his teammates and scored key goals from midfield, his goals were priceless, we were blessed to have him and Pires in the same team, we could score from everywhere with players like them around.

Rosicky came cheap and to be honest I'm not sure if it's because Dortmund knew he was injury prone.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Conversely I think there are players in say the invincible squad who I wouldn’t put in my top 20

For me the core of that team was five players (all five had won the double two seasons before)

Campbell, Cole, Pires, Vieira and Henry

I would add Bergkamp but he wasn’t always in the team

Toure, Gilberto, Edu, Ljungberg, Lauren, Keown, Lehmann

All good players but they weren’t the essential ingredients and I don’t think any of them are head and shoulders above some of the players that came after them,

And that’s before you get to the likes of Kanu who was way past his best, Wiltord, Cygan, Reyes etc

Özim
21-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Conversely I think there are players in say the invincible squad who I wouldn’t put in my top 20

For me the core of that team was five players (all five had won the double two seasons before)

Campbell, Cole, Pires, Vieira and Henry

I would add Bergkamp but he wasn’t always in the team

Toure, Gilberto, Edu, Ljungberg, Lauren, Keown, Lehmann

All good players but they weren’t the essential ingredients and I don’t think any of them are head and shoulders above some of the players that came after them,

And that’s before you get to the likes of Kanu who was way past his best, Wiltord, Cygan, Reyes etc

I wasn't just referring to the invicibles as previous team were also top top notch, I'd agree with some of those players but Keown, Ljungberg were very very good indeed and Lauren was very solid.

Kanu and Wiltord were basically subs though, good options off the bench to get you goals, neither were regulars and they are head and shoulders above anything subs we've had since then.

If I go back to previous teams you can than add Adams, Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Overmars, Petit, Anelka, Bould and of course Bergkamp oh and of course Wright one of my favourite players of all time.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 05:23 PM
My top ten players of the Wenger era in no particular order would be

Pires, Henry, Vieira, Rosicky, Fabregas, Van Persie, Sanchez, Ozil, Campbell and Bergkamp

Cripps
21-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Sorry, when I said 'We' I meant GW.

He can replace Letters

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Özim
21-12-2017, 05:29 PM
My top ten players of the Wenger era in no particular order would be

Pires, Henry, Vieira, Rosicky, Fabregas, Van Persie, Sanchez, Ozil, Campbell and Bergkamp

I'd go with Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Campbell, Ljungberg, Adams, Seaman.

None of the players since 2006 or so come into it for me, out of all of them RVP would be my favourite though.

The Petit/Vieira partnership in midfield was unreal, just a shame we one of them to Barca for peanuts.

Cripps
21-12-2017, 05:31 PM
I wonder about the long term effects. Our squad has been so Wengerised, even if we got a decent manager in, can this squad be rescued or has sexy/ hyped/ "expert" bore ball become second nature to them?

Interesting point. I read somewhere chamberlain saying it'll take time to adapt to klopp's tactics because he's been wengerised since his teenage years. Klopp also said he's trying to make ox play a different type of game but it'll take time.

The whole club is geared towards wengerism. That's why we'll need a good, visionary leader to take the helm when he's gone. To have the courage to stamp his own authority and style on the club. And the conviction to make players believe in it. Not a rookie.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-12-2017, 05:38 PM
I honestly think you could construct a best XI out of players that have played for us since 2006 and it would wipe the floor with most teams with plenty to spare (conditionally).

The condition would be that we had someone who could coach teams better than Wenger

As to your top ten. Have to say was never a big fan of Marc Overmars either, for me we unquestionably when we sold him got someone better in when we bought Pires.

Adams is an all time great but for me his best years were under George Graham

Seaman would be someone I’d consider taking someone out of the list I submitted for

Power n Glory
21-12-2017, 07:10 PM
I just can’t believe our rotten luck that the one other player we have with similar traits to Rosicky in Cazorla is also a crock.

Loved Rosicky and you're right to compare him to Cazorla. Unfortunately, we wasted Rosicky by playing him on the wings so often and he only ever got to play as CM because of injuries.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Rosicky was a more gifted player than Ljunberg with much worse luck injury wise. Freddy was effective and a great example of Wenger maximising a players qualities with a specific role which doent happen so often these days.

Niall_Quinn
30-12-2017, 10:10 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5221747/Arsenals-stars-sick-Alexis-Sanchez.html

Initially it looked like pundits wanting some limelight, but now we see it's another Emiratebureau hit piece on a player that wants away.

Just remember - Arsene Wenger is the man that has been fucking this club over, not Alexis. Wenger is the guy who makes promises and can't deliver. Wenger is the lying fraud who claims we are a big club and then does everything to make us mediocre. Star players aren't going to hang around and put up with this lying fraud, of course they aren't.

Not falling for this orchestrated hit-piece for even a second. Fuck off Wenger.

Globalgunner
01-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Future is not looking too good.
The Grinch might be here for the long term
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/arsenal/story/3331277/arsene-wenger-says-management-is-a-drug-after-premier-league-record

AFC Leveller
02-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Arsenal have won just two of their last seven Premier League matches, taking just 10 points from a possible 21.

In that run, they have played five of the current bottom eigh

AFC Leveller
02-01-2018, 08:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSdPPZyX4AAXt0Q.jpg

Cripps
02-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Wenger says he hasn't spoken to PGMO re West Brom penalty decision but adds similar incidents happened "at Stoke, Watford, Man City and West Brom - that is a concerning coincidence for me."

Wenger hinting at corruption. Finally someone speaking out.
Wenger:bow:

Marc Overmars
02-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Arsenal have won just two of their last seven Premier League matches, taking just 10 points from a possible 21.

In that run, they have played five of the current bottom eigh

We can’t compete with those clubs and their billions.

Özim
02-01-2018, 11:19 AM
We've had plenty of decisions go our way this season too, notice there's not a peep from him about those. I frankly don't care about those decisions, at the end of the day if we were good enough we'd win many of those games at a canter and the decisions would be irrelevant, just like they largely were when we were winning stuff.

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2018, 11:28 AM
We've had plenty of decisions go our way this season too, notice there's not a peep from him about those. I frankly don't care about those decisions, at the end of the day if we were good enough we'd win many of those games at a canter and the decisions would be irrelevant, just like they largely were when we were winning stuff.

Can't agree with this. If just a few more decisions had gone our way we'd be challenging for the title and we'd be favourites to win the CL. But the refs have done us. This has been going on for a decade. We'd have won the last 10 titles back to back were it not for those pesky refs. And the schedule has been against us. West Brom having 2 days more to prepare cost us the title last season and made our best players want to leave. Having to play the early game on Sundays screwed up our transfer windows and prevented us signing top quality.

Despite all this the club has been able to post profits. That's a major achievement. We are continually out-performing our major rivals. Were it not for the fans constantly moaning the true extent of our success would be clear.

Özim
02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Can't agree with this. If just a few more decisions had gone our way we'd be challenging for the title and we'd be favourites to win the CL. But the refs have done us. This has been going on for a decade. We'd have won the last 10 titles back to back were it not for those pesky refs. And the schedule has been against us. West Brom having 2 days more to prepare cost us the title last season and made our best players want to leave. Having to play the early game on Sundays screwed up our transfer windows and prevented us signing top quality.

Despite all this the club has been able to post profits. That's a major achievement. We are continually out-performing our major rivals. Were it not for the fans constantly moaning the true extent of our success would be clear.

When you put it that way, it's hard to disagree with any of that.

The reality is we've actually been 2% away from domination, the 2% being the refs.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-01-2018, 01:00 PM
http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal/arsenal-boss-wenger-in-controversy-after-insensitive-suicide-remark-following-chelsea-draw-1-5342227?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

Really are becoming a thin skinned society

I love how the offended always become so on other people’s behalf

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2018, 01:16 PM
http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal/arsenal-boss-wenger-in-controversy-after-insensitive-suicide-remark-following-chelsea-draw-1-5342227?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

Really are becoming a thin skinned society

I love how the offended always become so on other people’s behalf

These cunts will be happy when they are the only ones allowed to speak. Until then, expect them to cry relentlessly.

Cripps
04-01-2018, 01:46 PM
:rolleyes: Wenger now blaming corruption - which he has a point as the league is corrupt - for our poor form, but when will he realise it's him.

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2018, 02:17 PM
:rolleyes: Wenger now blaming corruption - which he has a point as the league is corrupt - for our poor form, but when will he realise it's him.

He's hinted at it rather than directly saying it.

In any industry that has billions of quid sloshing around it and where the rewards for success and the penalties for failure are so high, there's corruption. That's how money works. It attracts the corrupted. The corruption at the most senior level, FIFA, UEFA, has been obvious for a long time. Then we have this narrative that it all ends there and the FA and the PL are immune. Everyone in the media goes along with that. The English game is pure.

But there's also incompetence. That's another attribute of money. It elevates the unworthy and incompetent. There is almost certainly a sea of corruption in the game, but that doesn't stop Wenger being incompetent no matter how much he wants to distract our gaze. Their corruption doesn't forgive his incompetence.

What he needs to do is shut up and sort out the defence and if he doesn't do that then he's corrupt too, because he's robbing the club and the fans.

Özim
04-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Not being funny but noone cares about us, we're a 2nd rate club now, not a club at the top level, the theory that people care about us enough to want to sabotage our games is delusional.

Refs make mistakes, you see them all the time, plenty have gone for us (like the fact Wilshere and Holding stayed on last night - didn't hear him talking about that) and some go against us, if anything people were more bothered about us when we were winning stuff, but now, nah.

Perfect excuse for him though, notice how he barely ever focusses on the failings of his team and yet claims he just wants to talk about football, noticed last night he mentioned were about football and you always get entertainment at Arsenal, he clearly doesn't watch our matches because most of the time they're as boring as they get.

Noticed he was his petulant self last night, with top 4 in danger suddenly he's irrate, because now his precious top 4 trophy is slightly out of reach, honestly that's all that guy cares about, when we're dropping out of the title race you don't see him so animated, but when top 4 is at stake he behaves like this.

If he actually did his job properly, signed some decent players, coached them properly and watched matches without his rose tinted glasses we'd be getting far better results.

He doesn't have it in him to win trophies and what's worse he's not bothered about them. Embarrasing all round, he's making the club look ridiculous.

fakeyank
04-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Not being funny but noone cares about us, we're a 2nd rate club now, not a club at the top level, the theory that people care about us enough to want to sabotage our games is delusional.

Refs make mistakes, you see them all the time, plenty have gone for us (like the fact Wilshere and Holding stayed on last night - didn't hear him talking about that) and some go against us, if anything people were more bothered about us when we were winning stuff, but now, nah.

Perfect excuse for him though, notice how he barely ever focusses on the failings of his team and yet claims he just wants to talk about football, noticed last night he mentioned were about football and you always get entertainment at Arsenal, he clearly doesn't watch our matches because most of the time they're as boring as they get.

Noticed he was his petulant self last night, with top 4 in danger suddenly he's irrate, because now his precious top 4 trophy is slightly out of reach, honestly that's all that guy cares about, when we're dropping out of the title race you don't see him so animated, but when top 4 is at stake he behaves like this.

If he actually did his job properly, signed some decent players, coached them properly and watched matches without his rose tinted glasses we'd be getting far better results.

He doesn't have it in him to win trophies and what's worse he's not bothered about them. Embarrasing all round.

He did win the World Famous FA Cup 3 out of last 4 years! #Letters

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-01-2018, 03:09 PM

He doesn't have it in him to win trophies and what's worse he's not bothered about them. Embarrasing all round, he's making the club look ridiculous.

Not being funny but I’ve never known a manager lay their failings at their own door.

The frustration we feel is that most Managers are eventually held to account by their employers for their failings

Arsene Wenger seems to have a lifetime immunity for achieving things so long ago that kids now in puberty weren’t even born when they happened.

fakeyank
04-01-2018, 03:10 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42557684

We are second in some kind of financial poll :trophy:

LDG
04-01-2018, 03:12 PM

He did win the World Famous FA Cup 3 out of last 4 years! #Letters

He did though :unsure: