PDA

View Full Version : Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Ralpheroo72
10-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Henry to replace Jardim at Monaco being bandied about the rumour mill. Weren’t we loosely linked with Jardim at one stage? He has been smashed with woeful replacements for all the talent that left the club, 3rd bottom of the French league.

Özim
10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Henry could be the next Zidane, Jardim has had it tough with the sale of all his top players, but still 3rd from bottom in the French league is pretty poor.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
10-10-2018, 12:25 PM
isn't there a 'your account' section or something?

otherwise it probably is email but that's not that hard if you find a box office message, select it, and then sort your mails by 'from' - but then you know that right...?

Sure but I get all sort of stuff through from Arsenal. I still don't have match ticket emails. Anyway I realised if you book tickets via clicking on the eticket hyperlink in the email...rather than going straight to Arsenal.com/tickets as I normally do, it links you to a space that shows you the tickets you've bought. It's all a bit here and there...

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
10-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Third from bottom? Bloody hell! He will turn that around.

AFC Leveller
12-10-2018, 06:14 PM
TV Games for December and January:
Arsenal v Tottenham 14:05 on Sunday 2 December
Man Utd v Arsenal 20:00 on Wednesday 5 December
Southampton v Arsenal 13:30 on Sunday 16 December
Arsenal v Burnley 12:30 on Saturday 22 December
Brighton v Arsenal 17:15 on Boxing Day
Liverpool v Arsenal 17:30 on Saturday 29 December
West Ham v Arsenal 12:30 on Saturday 12 January
Arsenal v Chelsea 17:30 on Saturday 19 January
COYG ������️

AFC Leveller
12-10-2018, 06:15 PM
December looking a but tasty, 3 huge games.

fakeyank
12-10-2018, 08:51 PM
December looking a but tasty, 3 huge games.

Is this when the wheels come off from our title race?

#DejaWenger

Thierrymon
14-10-2018, 03:55 AM
Henry just doesnt seem like the manager type to me. Will be really interesting to see how he does though.

Mac76
14-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Is this when the wheels come off from our title race?

#DejaWenger
Now now, Wenger is gone and we will win all games and take a healthy lead at thw top of the table

#emeryrulesok

Bumble
14-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Henry just doesnt seem like the manager type to me. Will be really interesting to see how he does though.

well its a good test to see if him or Vieira will ever be able to take over at Arsenal one day.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Event if the wheels do fall off...... finishing top 4 would be a marked improvement. Hopefully we do it via winning the Europa and finishing top 4 but the Europa first.

Mac76
14-10-2018, 02:47 PM
well its a good test to see if him or Vieira will ever be able to take over at Arsenal one day.

yeah i'd much rather they tried it other clubs rather than with us

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Never really been especially keen on seeing ex players manage the club personally, but will be interested to see how they get on.

Letters
15-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Never really been especially keen on seeing ex players manage the club personally, but will be interested to see how they get on.

I don't have a problem with an ex-player becoming our manager, Graham did pretty well.
But they shouldn't become our manager BECAUSE they were an ex-player, definitely not because they were a "Legend" as a player.
I never understand this logic that a brilliant player will become a brilliant manager, historically it's often been quite the reverse.

Power n Glory
15-10-2018, 11:37 AM
I don't have a problem with an ex-player becoming our manager, Graham did pretty well.
But they shouldn't become our manager BECAUSE they were an ex-player, definitely not because they were a "Legend" as a player.
I never understand this logic that a brilliant player will become a brilliant manager, historically it's often been quite the reverse.

I wouldn’t say historically it’s the reverse in terms of former players becoming good managers. I think it might just be a generational thing and what we’ve seen in England and very uncommon for the Premier League to produce a top a manager.

If you look at the top managers around today, Pep, Zidane, Simeone, Luis Enrique, Deschamps, Conte, Mancini, Ancelotti, Le Blanc…they’re all former players we’d have grown up watching.

Not sure what will happen with Henry and Vieira but I wish them all the best. Massive role for Henry to take on so early in his management career.

Letters
15-10-2018, 12:11 PM
I guess I'm talking about a really top playing being a really top manager.
It has happened, but it's certainly not a a given - Zidane is a potential example.
I guess I'm just arguing against the "Henry was a brilliant player, ergo he should be our manager" mindset I see.
No, let him prove himself as a manager first, then we can consider him.

Power n Glory
15-10-2018, 02:35 PM
I guess I'm talking about a really top playing being a really top manager.
It has happened, but it's certainly not a a given - Zidane is a potential example.
I guess I'm just arguing against the "Henry was a brilliant player, ergo he should be our manager" mindset I see.
No, let him prove himself as a manager first, then we can consider him.

I agree with that. It's a simple deduction to assume a top player will be a top manager. But Pep was a top player too. Same goes for Deschamps, Ancelotti...I think all the players I mentioned won multiple titles and played at the highest level. I'm just starting to notice the amount former players doing well as managers.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Interesting run down by Lewis Ambrose of the German contingent on the Arsenal vision podcast.

WMUG
19-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Remember when Newcastle were about to get relegated, then to get them out of the mire they sacked their manager and brought in a legendary club and country superstar, then got relegated?

Ralpheroo72
19-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Word round the campfire is that Wenger is about to land the Bayern job

GP
19-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Nah. Can't see it.

Letters
19-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Remember when Newcastle were about to get relegated, then to get them out of the mire they sacked their manager and brought in a legendary club and country superstar, then got relegated?

:lol: I DO remember that.

Marc Overmars
19-10-2018, 02:22 PM
Carl Jenkinson is contracted with us until 2020.

Christ. :lol:

What the hell was Wenger thinking?

GP
19-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Just looking after his only Son.

Chippy
20-10-2018, 09:06 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/20/arsenal-fans-demand-reiss-nelson-is-recalled-after-brace-for-hoffenheim-8058683/amp/

GP
20-10-2018, 09:22 PM
https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/20/arsenal-fans-demand-reiss-nelson-is-recalled-after-brace-for-hoffenheim-8058683/amp/

https://streamja.com/w54L

https://streamja.com/BMkN

Both nice goals.

Mac76
21-10-2018, 11:47 AM
https://streamja.com/w54L

https://streamja.com/BMkN

Both nice goals.

The second in particular a very Arsenal-like goal, good finishing from Reiss, and Hoffenheim's left back looks good, started both moves

McNamara That Ghost...
21-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Nelson scored for England U21 in the international break also. Great freekick.

I am invisible
21-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Where have they been playing him at Hoff? Would be nice to get a ready-made winger back who knows the job properly...

Özim
22-10-2018, 09:04 AM
As we've seen with players like Xhaka, Kolasinac etc the Bundesligue is a weak league, top performers there are average when they come here so him scoring a few goals doesn't mean a lot.

Power n Glory
23-10-2018, 01:56 PM
As we've seen with players like Xhaka, Kolasinac etc the Bundesligue is a weak league, top performers there are average when they come here so him scoring a few goals doesn't mean a lot.

We bought Aubameyang, Leno and Sokratis from the Bundesliga. Kompany, De Bruyne and Sane are products of the Bundesliga. Firminho.... I get that we shouldn't overhype things but what you've said about our record and the Bundesliga in general is well off the mark.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Yeah bit of a blanket statement.

Özim
23-10-2018, 04:10 PM
We bought Aubameyang, Leno and Sokratis from the Bundesliga. Kompany, De Bruyne and Sane are products of the Bundesliga. Firminho.... I get that we shouldn't overhype things but what you've said about our record and the Bundesliga in general is well off the mark.

I'lll change my statement slightly to cover more unknown players in the Bundesligue, the top players maybe not so much so, but players who aren't household names, like Xhaka, Kolasinac who seem to make it into the team of the year despite noone really knowing who they are don't usually turn out very well.

Kompany was already seen as a top player with a lot of potential before he moved to Germany to be fair, he was constantly linked with teams before his move, De Bruyne was also as that's why Chelsea signed him (although it didn't work out for him there), talent can develop there as it's not such a strong league so easier for talented players to flourish.

In other words yes it's worth signing the top stars from thst league, but not the unknowns who seem to be only known in Germany.

Power n Glory
23-10-2018, 08:03 PM
I'lll change my statement slightly to cover more unknown players in the Bundesligue, the top players maybe not so much so, but players who aren't household names, like Xhaka, Kolasinac who seem to make it into the team of the year despite noone really knowing who they are don't usually turn out very well.

Kompany was already seen as a top player with a lot of potential before he moved to Germany to be fair, he was constantly linked with teams before his move, De Bruyne was also as that's why Chelsea signed him (although it didn't work out for him there), talent can develop there as it's not such a strong league so easier for talented players to flourish.

In other words yes it's worth signing the top stars from thst league, but not the unknowns who seem to be only known in Germany.

Still a sweeping conclusion about the Bundesliga and it stems from what you've seen from two players we signed under Wenger.

It's a weird statement to make but I can see it's veiled under the usual anti Arsenal rhetoric. How hard is it to say that we need to be patient with Reiss Nelson and not get too excited?

Özim
24-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Still a sweeping conclusion about the Bundesliga and it stems from what you've seen from two players we signed under Wenger.

It's a weird statement to make but I can see it's veiled under the usual anti Arsenal rhetoric. How hard is it to say that we need to be patient with Reiss Nelson and not get too excited?

It stems from not really rating the Bundesligue, apart the two top teams the rest are rubbish IMO.

It's not a thinly veiled anything, it's just pointing out yes he's had a few decent games but to put it into perspective it's a relatively weak league and that we shouldn't be clamouring for him as he's nothing more than a prospect right now, we've seen countless young players put a few decent games together in the past and then being hailed as something special only to flop spectacularly.

If he comes back, plays in the 1st team and performs very well then we can start getting excited, but based on the a few decent performances in the Bundesligue we can't.

And yes our forays into the German league haven't been very successful, but that's generally because in the past we've signed players who aren't really top quality thinking we'd bagged ourselves a bargain only for them to turn out to be poor, Aubameyng doesn't count obviously but he was one of the Bundesligue's best players, had performed season after season and done well in the CL as well, oh and he cost us 60 odd million.

Power n Glory
24-10-2018, 12:29 PM
It stems from not really rating the Bundesligue, apart the two top teams the rest are rubbish IMO.

It's not a thinly veiled anything, it's just pointing out yes he's had a few decent games but to put it into perspective it's a relatively weak league and that we shouldn't be clamouring for him as he's nothing more than a prospect right now, we've seen countless young players put a few decent games together in the past and then being hailed as something special only to flop spectacularly.

If he comes back, plays in the 1st team and performs very well then we can start getting excited, but based on the a few decent performances in the Bundesligue we can't.

And yes our forays into the German league haven't been very successful, but that's generally because in the past we've signed players who aren't really top quality thinking we'd bagged ourselves a bargain only for them to turn out to be poor, Aubameyng doesn't count obviously but he was one of the Bundesligue's best players, had performed season after season and done well in the CL as well, oh and he cost us 60 odd million.

I have seen you complain about us not signing other bargain basement players from the Bundesliga. I'll find them.

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4142&page=158

Don't get it Max Meyer is available for free, apparently he wants big wages but Palace are close to signing him so they can't be that big, why aren't we in for him and getting rid of Ramsey with a week to go till the end of the season.

I do find our transfer/contract negotiation poor on the whole, why do things like this keep happening?

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4142&page=172

Leicester sign Caglar Soyuncu, supposed to be good and linked with us all summer, Leicester might have picked up another bargain.

Overall 6 out of 10 for the transfer window, Torreira was an important one and the young French guy looks to have potential.

Max Meyer and Caglar Soyuncu. Players signed by Crystal Palace on a free transfer and Leicester City and you're having a pop at us for not signing them. Two cheap players that came from the Bundesliga and hardly household names hence their respective clubs. Smacks of hypocrisy don't you think?

You've suggested other players like Draxler, who came from the Bundesliga and currently playing in Ligue 1 which isn't exactly a strong league either and Gelson Martins who came from the Portuguese League! It's a bit of a senseless position to hold and full of contradictions. How did you feel about us signing Torreira from Serie A? That's a piss poor league at the moment. Plenty of holes in this argument. We haven't signed many flops from the German League.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-10-2018, 12:35 PM
I was thinking just the other day wondering about how Soyuncu was getting on....and there he was in front of me warming up the other night. Not sure whether he's close to Leicester's first team or not so in hindsight not really sure on what we really passed up on.

Özim
24-10-2018, 03:44 PM
I have seen you complain about us not signing other bargain basement players from the Bundesliga. I'll find them.

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4142&page=158

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4142&page=172

Max Meyer and Caglar Soyuncu. Players signed by Crystal Palace on a free transfer and Leicester City and you're having a pop at us for not signing them. Two cheap players that came from the Bundesliga and hardly household names hence their respective clubs. Smacks of hypocrisy don't you think?

You've suggested other players like Draxler, who came from the Bundesliga and currently playing in Ligue 1 which isn't exactly a strong league either and Gelson Martins who came from the Portuguese League! It's a bit of a senseless position to hold and full of contradictions. How did you feel about us signing Torreira from Serie A? That's a piss poor league at the moment. Plenty of holes in this argument. We haven't signed many flops from the German League.

Max Meyer was available on a free so wasn't really much of a risk, worth a punt for a player who is supposedly very creative, Soyuncu was a player we were linked with, out of those we were linked with he seemed like the best bet to me, if money had been no object I'd have signed someone else believe me, but it seemed money was tight, if it wasn't I'd have wanted us to sign a top CB.

Draxler was a pretty well known talent, again Gelson Martins was free so pretty much no risk for a player with potential, might not have worked out but if you don't pay for him not exactly high risk and given we had little money these names were probably the best bet.

Problem with the players we signed from Germany at the time for me was that we had money to spend and that instead of buying the real deal we wasted it on those duds, Kolasinac was free at least so I'll give him that (but I always knew with Wenger that players we signed would stick around for years and years however bad they were so was always unhappy when we got these supposedly good unknowns, some of the guys are still here like Jenkinson).

Another thing I wasn't keen on in the summer is signing more ageing players, so I prefered us to take a punt on some younger players who make come good and didn't cost the earth given our budget.

GP
31-10-2018, 10:14 AM
https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/1057569525095432192?s=19

Gazidis :lol:

Bye

Letters
31-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Official Coffee Partner :doh:

Football :rose:

McNamara That Ghost...
31-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Missed an opportunity to market this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYdtdRHua3g

GP
31-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Official Coffee Partner :doh:

Football :rose:

Man Utd have an official tractor partner.

Letters
31-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Man Utd have an official tractor partner.

I Googled that because I thought you were joking.

You weren't.

:ilt:

I wouldn't want an unofficial tractor though, to be fair.

KSE Comedy Club
31-10-2018, 11:59 AM
https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/1057569525095432192?s=19

Gazidis :lol:

Bye
I love lavazza coffee :hug:

LDG
31-10-2018, 12:12 PM
I love lavazza coffee :hug:

I lavazza coffee too

:coney:

Marc Overmars
31-10-2018, 12:34 PM
United were well ahead of the curve in getting sponsorship for anything and everything to do with the club. I can’t believe it’s taken us this long to get a slice of the pie ourselves.

Gazidis. :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
31-10-2018, 12:46 PM
We have a pie partnership too? :bow:

Globalgunner
31-10-2018, 02:25 PM
With Mustafi, Bellend, Xhaka and Steiner in the squad we should be able to attract sponsorship from a mental asylum, surely?

Marc Overmars
31-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Sounds like Ramsey has been told to do one. :lol:

Brutal from the club really, considering he wanted to stay.

A bit annoying we’re going to miss out on a big fee though. Again.

Özim
01-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Sounds like Ramsey has been told to do one. :lol:

Brutal from the club really, considering he wanted to stay.

A bit annoying we’re going to miss out on a big fee though. Again.

I don't think it's brutal personally, he literally had a year with the contract on the table and he tried to play games by not signing it in the hope we'd cave in and give him ridiculous money, suddenly we get rid of the useless Gazidis and it gets turned on its head and he gets told there's no new contract.

Had it coming really, he had his chance and blew it, players think they have all the power these days and it's good to give them a doze of reality.

I agree about the fee though, that's the only unfortunate thing, we miss out on a fee again, hopefully we learn our lesson going forward and sell these guys before they get to the end of their contracts.

Marc Overmars
01-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Oh I agree. It's funny thinking back to the summer when Emery was appointed, all the talk was of Ramsey being a key player for him. Good point about Gazidis going and the contract being taken off the table, Ramsey should have signed it when the had the opportunity to instead of trying to squeeze the club for more.

I'm happy we've taken a strong stance and hopefully it bodes well for future contract situations.

I wonder if Welbeck will be shown the door as well? I wouldn't mind if stuck around personally.

Power n Glory
01-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Should be a privilege to play for Arsenal. Fuck him. Let him grovel for a new deal.

GP
01-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Oh I agree. It's funny thinking back to the summer when Emery was appointed, all the talk was of Ramsey being a key player for him. Good point about Gazidis going and the contract being taken off the table, Ramsey should have signed it when the had the opportunity to instead of trying to squeeze the club for more.

I'm happy we've taken a strong stance and hopefully it bodes well for future contract situations.

I wonder if Welbeck will be shown the door as well? I wouldn't mind if stuck around personally.

I like Welbz. I hope he stays.

KSE Comedy Club
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
I think Ramsey's replacement has already been lined up, that's why they told him to do one :coffee:

Globalgunner
01-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Welbz is probably on 100k or less. I think, he can improve. I dont know how we do it in real football or at Arsenal, but in American football they have offensive and defensive coaches. I think if Welbz spent 6 months under Wrighty or Bergkamp, he would discover the missing 20% in his game, even Wiltord was a great striker for us though some would disagree, I dont know why. He never let us down whenever he came on back in the day. Henry missed more open goals than he did IIRC.

Marc Overmars
01-11-2018, 05:04 PM
At 28 I'm not sure how much improving Welbeck is going to do but I feel like he's a useful member of the squad. It's frustrating because if he was more polished in the final third he could have been a top striker. However he's carved out a good squad role for himself and now we have Laca and Auba we don't really have to rely on him for goals. He can stretch tired defences, track back and make a nuisance of himself. He still manages to score every few games as well albeit in the cups rather than the league which is the kind of contribution you want from a back up striker anyway.

Fergie loved him, he always used to get him to 'do a job' in big games and more often than not it worked because he'd set out to nullify key players with Welbeck's donkey work.

Never complains either, just happy to do whatever role is asked of him. I think he's one of those players that are probably more appreciated by his manager and teammates rather than the fans.

GP
01-11-2018, 05:29 PM
I think Ramsey's replacement has already been lined up, that's why they told him to do one :coffee:

Flamini on a free transfer.

Bumble
01-11-2018, 06:10 PM
At 28 I'm not sure how much improving Welbeck is going to do but I feel like he's a useful member of the squad. It's frustrating because if he was more polished in the final third he could have been a top striker. However he's carved out a good squad role for himself and now we have Laca and Auba we don't really have to rely on him for goals. He can stretch tired defences, track back and make a nuisance of himself. He still manages to score every few games as well albeit in the cups rather than the league which is the kind of contribution you want from a back up striker anyway.

Fergie loved him, he always used to get him to 'do a job' in big games and more often than not it worked because he'd set out to nullify key players with Welbeck's donkey work.

Never complains either, just happy to do whatever role is asked of him. I think he's one of those players that are probably more appreciated by his manager and teammates rather than the fans.

that's a good summary really - I like Welbeck because of his attitude and what he can give us as an option. Plus he is a perfectly good 3rd choice striker while the younger ones get more experienced. it is worth giving him a new contract as its difficult to find a striker who will be happy sitting behind Auba and Laca.

dazthegooner
01-11-2018, 07:01 PM
I read somewhere a few days ago regarding Fabregas coming back...

GP
01-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Was it an article from 2014?

GP
01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
https://streamable.com/h6b97

OHH SANTI CAZORLA!

Letters
02-11-2018, 07:45 AM

He can piss right off.

SMatthews
02-11-2018, 08:11 AM
He can piss right off.

He probably would after a season.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Sanchez?

Letters
02-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Sanchez?

He can piss right off.

Marc Overmars
02-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Fabregas is still way more gifted than Ramsey so imagine getting him in for free to replace him? Tempting IMO.

He's got a lot of mileage on the clock though but we'd be getting a fighter and someone who Guendouzi can learn from as well.

Özim
02-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Fabregas would be a backward step IMO, we'd be going back to a time of failure, in many ways he represents the start of our period of failure, his integration into the first team coincides with th tippy tappy boring football we started to play and failure to progress, Wenger decided to get rid of all the fighters and winners and replace them with diminutive players like Cesc who like to pass.

I never was a big fan and if I'm honest never rated him that highly so wouldn't really want him back, even on a free.

SMatthews
02-11-2018, 10:34 AM
The amount of assists he has tells you what a class player he is but he’s too old (32 at end of season) and what’s done is done with him and us.

He can’t get into the Chavs first team anymore and they’re happy to let him run his contract down this season. If hes not good enough for them then it goes without saying he shouldn’t for us.

Letters
02-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Fabregas would be a backward step IMO, we'd be going back to a time of failure, in many ways he represents the start of our period of failure, his integration into the first team coincides with th tippy tappy boring football we started to play and failure to progress, Wenger decided to get rid of all the fighters and winners and replace them with diminutive players like Cesc who like to pass.

I never was a big fan and if I'm honest never rated him that highly so wouldn't really want him back, even on a free.
I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning.
He played with us during a period where we didn't win anything but he was one of our stand out players at times during that era we failed despite him, not because of him and he's achieved success elsewhere when surrounded by a better team.
But, for me, the moment has gone now. He's in his 30s, he's not going to get any better. Time to move on.

GP
02-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Cesc was a special player, that much is obvious. Would be an Arsenal legend if he'd stayed.

But he can go fuck himself.

Power n Glory
02-11-2018, 12:40 PM

I have no idea how you come to such conclusions about Cesc being a tippy tappy player with no fight but not see a similar function in Ozil's role for this team.

Power n Glory
02-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Fabregas is still way more gifted than Ramsey so imagine getting him in for free to replace him? Tempting IMO.

He's got a lot of mileage on the clock though but we'd be getting a fighter and someone who Guendouzi can learn from as well.

I wish we could turn the clock back for certain players. We'd all hold Cesc and RVP in a much higher regard if not for the poor management of Wenger and how they left the club. It's too late for them now but I wouldn't mind seeing certain players return to right a few wrongs.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2018, 01:35 PM

I don't even know where to begin on this post!

Letters
02-11-2018, 02:46 PM
I don't even know where to begin on this post!

If there is any logic about how Zim rates players then I have yet to work it out.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2018, 03:19 PM
To this day, Fabregas is the best 16 year old I've ever seen play and without any doubt one of the best midfielders I've seen play for the club..... and I am not in the group of people who up until recently had only ever known Wenger as manager. I've rarely watched a player so young and thought Wow......and that was without him scoring a 40 year old screamer or running really fast and all the usual eye catching stuff. His ability was one of the most striking and obvious I've ever seen simply by the way he received the ball, passed the ball, created space and moved into space.

It reminded me of when you ACTUALLY play football and before a player has done anything particularly significant to the actual result or score of a game it's just plainly obvious by virtually his first touch of the ball he is a cut above everybody else on the field. That's Fabregas.

His best days are probably past him but he is a genius of a football player. I remember Luis Aragones (I think it was) saying years ago Fabregas would write golden pages in Spanish football history based on his ability....and the Spanish produce millions of technically savvy players.

Power n Glory
02-11-2018, 04:40 PM
To this day, Fabregas is the best 16 year old I've ever seen play and without any doubt one of the best midfielders I've seen play for the club..... and I am not in the group of people who up until recently had only ever known Wenger as manager. I've rarely watched a player so young and thought Wow......and that was without him scoring a 40 year old screamer or running really fast and all the usual eye catching stuff. His ability was one of the most striking and obvious I've ever seen simply by the way he received the ball, passed the ball, created space and moved into space.

It reminded me of when you ACTUALLY play football and before a player has done anything particularly significant to the actual result or score of a game it's just plainly obvious by virtually his first touch of the ball he is a cut above everybody else on the field. That's Fabregas.

His best days are probably past him but he is a genius of a football player. I remember Luis Aragones (I think it was) saying years ago Fabregas would write golden pages in Spanish football history based on his ability....and the Spanish produce millions of technically savvy players.

:gp: Love the summary on Fabregas. Especially the part in bold. Even without the goals and assists, he was a class act of a player and an example of how to orchestrate play as a CM.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Did I really say scoring a 40 year old screamer?! Doh!

I thought I was talking about a young Rooney for a moment clearly.

GP
02-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Did I really say scoring a 40 year old screamer?! Doh!

I thought I was talking about a young Rooney for a moment clearly.

Don't knock 40 year old screamers...

LDG
02-11-2018, 10:19 PM

:haha:

I’ll be one of them next year :(

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2018, 10:34 PM

Hey I like me an older woman!

GP
02-11-2018, 10:44 PM
:haha:

I’ll be one of them next year :(

I would

LDG
02-11-2018, 11:05 PM
I would

I’ll take my teeth out

Özim
03-11-2018, 07:04 AM
I have no idea how you come to such conclusions about Cesc being a tippy tappy player with no fight but not see a similar function in Ozil's role for this team.

Cesc was the definition of tippy tappy, he's the guy who was brought in to orchestrate it, yes he was a great passer and he did have some fight, but for me he was never my kind of player, he was slow, couldn't dribble, couldn't tackle and wasn't even that great a goalscoring midfield, players like him don't stand out in my eyes, despite his ability to create.

I would always choose, quicker or more skillful, more physical players as the standout players.

As for Ozi, this isn't about him, but for me for a start he is far quicker than Cesc which makes him far more direct which I rate over the slow, patient approach as I've made clear many times before, slow football isn't for me.

Özim
03-11-2018, 07:05 AM
I wish we could turn the clock back for certain players. We'd all hold Cesc and RVP in a much higher regard if not for the poor management of Wenger and how they left the club. It's too late for them now but I wouldn't mind seeing certain players return to right a few wrongs.

RVP I rated really highly, he was so skilful, could score goals others just couldn't and his talent was really obvious, probably my favourite player of the post success period under Wenger.

Özim
03-11-2018, 07:08 AM

I think that perhaps never happened and he's lived in the shadow of the likes of Iniesta and Xavi all of his career in reality.

Özim
03-11-2018, 07:11 AM
I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning.
He played with us during a period where we didn't win anything but he was one of our stand out players at times during that era we failed despite him, not because of him and he's achieved success elsewhere when surrounded by a better team.
But, for me, the moment has gone now. He's in his 30s, he's not going to get any better. Time to move on.

Yes he was one of our standout players during that time, but it wasn't exactly that hard to be as we really hardly had any world beaters in that time, just not my kind of player, as mentioned, I prefer more skilful players and in CM midfield players with more pace and/or a more agressive style of play.

Letters
03-11-2018, 08:09 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

:popcorn:

More lovely money! :dance:

dazthegooner
03-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Skysport source's have said Arsenal are not interested...

McNamara That Ghost...
04-11-2018, 12:17 AM
https://streamja.com/qdq3

Nelson. :bow:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
04-11-2018, 04:08 PM
https://streamja.com/qdq3

Nelson. :bow:

The boys confidence is somethimg else.

Truly outstanding goal for someone that age :bow:

KSE Comedy Club
05-11-2018, 09:29 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

:popcorn:

More lovely money! :dance: I genuinely couldn’t think of anything more horrific with football.

Mac76
06-11-2018, 12:49 AM
I genuinely couldn’t think of anything more horrific with football.

It really would be awful and i'd be really disappointed if we were one of the clubs pushing for it

Letters
06-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Moved the Wengery posts to the Wengery thread.

Mac76
15-11-2018, 04:53 PM
did anyone else get their membership pack today - nice scarf :scarf:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-11-2018, 10:00 PM
No, but I hate that it comes so bloody late into the season.

Mac76
16-11-2018, 06:21 PM
No, but I hate that it comes so bloody late into the season.

yeah it feels even later than normal this year

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
16-11-2018, 11:31 PM
I thought it was normally October but my memory for these things isn’t good!

Marc Overmars
17-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Read an interesting stat. We have the same record as Barcelona this season - P12 W7 D3 L2.

Barca are 1st but we are 5th. :lol:

What does that say about the respective leagues? I’ve seen compelling cases for both.

McNamara That Ghost...
17-11-2018, 10:08 AM
I know the Premier League has a lot of filth in it. I don't really know about La Liga this season since it is now on Eleven Sports.

Mac76
17-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Apparently the guys in charge of the club are not so keen on the super league but not saying 'never' either - bit of a wishy washy line if you ask me and also they admit Arsenal's involvement, such as it was, was partly a tactic to get more money out of FIFA which isn't particularly respectable behaviour...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/16/arsenal-director-not-pursue-super-league-breakaway

Özim
18-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Apparently the guys in charge of the club are not so keen on the super league but not saying 'never' either - bit of a wishy washy line if you ask me and also they admit Arsenal's involvement, such as it was, was partly a tactic to get more money out of FIFA which isn't particularly respectable behaviour...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/16/arsenal-director-not-pursue-super-league-breakaway

The idea of a superleague is frankly rubbish, one competition with the same teams largely, no Europe, no International football (as FIFA have said any club that takes part won't be able to have players in the World Cup).

I don't understand why anyone would think this is a good idea, it sounds boring to me, Wenger use to say it would happen at some point, odd for someone who loves football to think that whenin reality it's an awful idea for football.

GP
18-11-2018, 12:13 PM

They don't want it, but they also don't want to be left behind. Seems like a sensible position to take.

SMatthews
18-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Read an interesting stat. We have the same record as Barcelona this season - P12 W7 D3 L2.

Barca are 1st but we are 5th. :lol:

What does that say about the respective leagues? I’ve seen compelling cases for both.

Think it shows that neither Barca nor Real are miles ahead of everyone this year. Over here, while there are three teams still undefeated, it won’t take long until City pull away from the rest.

Mac76
18-11-2018, 01:12 PM
They don't want it, but they also don't want to be left behind. Seems like a sensible position to take.

Well when you put it that way, yes, but still it makes us look a bit devious, albeit that's it's partly due to those wonderful guardians of the truth, the newspapers that are distorting and exaggerating it all as usual

dazthegooner
24-11-2018, 05:11 PM
On the back page of The Sun (yeah I know) Cochettino has said that Chelski and not Arsenal are Spuds biggest rivals...

Chippy
24-11-2018, 11:49 PM
On the back page of The Sun (yeah I know) Cochettino has said that Chelski and not Arsenal are Spuds biggest rivals...
He is probably right:(

GP
25-11-2018, 07:30 AM
He won't be saying that when we beat them next week.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-11-2018, 09:36 AM
He is probably right:(

Not after yesterday's result, based on Pochettino's logic.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-11-2018, 09:38 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46330496

Expecting 'Peaky fooking bloinders' in the post match interview now.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-11-2018, 12:58 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6425267/Fourth-Arsenals-limit-unless-Silent-Stan-Kroenke-starts-spending.html

What a bizarre article. We finished fifth and sixth two the last seasons, that's part of the reason castigation was handed out.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
25-11-2018, 03:48 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6425267/Fourth-Arsenals-limit-unless-Silent-Stan-Kroenke-starts-spending.html

What a bizarre article. We finished fifth and sixth two the last seasons, that's part of the reason castigation was handed out.

Silly writeup by a silly journalist.

Though Emery has not shown himself to be a better manager than AW in anyway yet, the point everyone was making was that we were stale, getting worse and needed a change.

No one ever said a new manager would get us running away with the league, but we all agreed that the old manager just couldn't hack it anymore and the 100 million spent alone on strikers within a year proved his problem wasnt just money.

Marc Overmars
25-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Absolute nonsense to compare anything happening now to the ill-feeling of previous seasons.

Wenger had donkey’s years, Emery is 6 months into the job. Do one.

Letters
28-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Ian Wright, Wright, Wright

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46357587

:bow:

Letters
28-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Shit article from a shit paper.

Marc Overmars
05-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Sky Sports say Welbeck will not be offered a new contract and is likely to leave with Ramsey on a free.

fakeyank
05-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Sky Sports say Welbeck will not be offered a new contract and is likely to leave with Ramsey on a free.

We are losing two home grown players. Are we at a risk with that quota?

Marc Overmars
05-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Doubt it, next year Nelson and Chambers will be back.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-12-2018, 12:03 AM
Membership pack finally arrived. Didn't realise it's supposed to be an early Christmas present... :doh:

dazthegooner
06-12-2018, 09:07 AM
It's a late one from last year :jumpnana:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-12-2018, 10:25 AM
:lol:

Marc Overmars
07-12-2018, 06:24 AM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6469595/Arsenal-stars-including-Mesut-Ozil-centre-hippy-crack-storm.html

:lol:

:doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
07-12-2018, 08:28 AM
What are they smoking over at the Emirates?

In truth it was preseason and it hasn't really affected any of their performances so I personally don't care.

Ozil has been Mesut for a while even prior to getting off his tits.

SMatthews
07-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Team bonding like good British lads :bow:

GP
07-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Confirmed that Holdini has ruptured his ACL

Letters
07-12-2018, 01:56 PM
:(.

Özim
07-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Up to 9 months out, very unfortunate for him. On the plus side we'll be forced to buy a decent CB now so some good might come out of it.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Up to 9 months out, very unfortunate for him. On the plus side we'll be forced to buy a decent CB now so some good might come out of it.

Oh give over! As if! :lol:

I am invisible
11-12-2018, 09:20 AM
http://dailycannon.com/2018/12/harry-redknapp-says-up-the-gooners-after-pochettino-claims-celebrity-win-as-tottenham-trophy/

Poch :pal:

Chippy
23-12-2018, 05:54 PM
http://dailycannon.com/2018/12/harry-redknapp-says-up-the-gooners-after-pochettino-claims-celebrity-win-as-tottenham-trophy/

Poch :pal:
These fuckers are like a steam train at the moment. Its beginning to piss me off. I thought Everton would do us a favour today.

GP
28-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Peter Hill-Wood has died

https://www.arsenal.com/news/announcement-peter-hill-wood

Globalgunner
28-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Presided over some of our best times of recent. Hope there is Port and Bourbon in heaven ,for his sake.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
28-12-2018, 01:42 PM
True.

But he's also the man who started AW's downfall by promising him the managers job for life and a spot on the board, kicked out arguably one of the best modern football Administrators ever (Dein) and made a fuss about rejecting Usmanov's money only for all of them to sellout and allow us to become a franchise of Kronke Steelers.

I don't think he knew much about the game but he was "forthright" in whatever he believed (at that point in time anyway).

Oh well then, rest in peace.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
28-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Just found some gems on the number one Wengerite

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/wenger-has-job-for-life-6969381.html?amp

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/2302191/Arsenal-to-offer-Arsene-Wenger-a-job-for-life.html

Now here he is talking down to fans because of his love

https://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2012-2013/former-chairman-hill-wood-blasts-ignorant-arsenal-fans_sto4498925/story-amp.shtml

and finally, like people like him tend to do, turning his back on AW like he had nothing to do with it

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/wenger-accused-of-outstaying-arsenal-welcome-by-the-man-who/1m65z9c64sl5m18kklyb0riviq

Globalgunner
28-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Don't get me wrong. Never liked the fella. Just don't want to accurately label him what he is now that he's gone.

fakeyank
28-12-2018, 02:24 PM
RIP :rose:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
28-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Some more gems.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2007/apr/20/newsstory.sport7

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/sep/21/arsenal

21_GOONER_SALUTE
28-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Don't get me wrong. Never liked the fella. Just don't want to accurately label him what he is now that he's gone.

Yeah, I know.

We should try our best to say good things about the recently departed.

Its just talking about him brings up memories of what went wrong in the club, especially after the invincibles.

Clearly the failure in leadership came from on the pitch and off..... and though he's being praised today for a lot of stuff he didn't even do, I feel we should also remember the mistakes so we avoid repeating them.

Mac76
04-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Mavropanos and Smith - rowe are back in training according to Emery, which is good news

And mustafi is not ready to return, which is even better news...:lol:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/emery-aaron-ramsey-mesut-ozil-and-keylor-navas

GP
15-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Peter Cech has announced his retirement.

Marc Overmars
15-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Petr. :wave:

Shame we couldn’t get him 10 years earlier.

Özim
15-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Petr. :wave:

Shame we couldn’t get him 10 years earlier.

Pretty much, he was unreal before his head injury, never the same afterwards. New keeper needed.

SMatthews
15-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Great professional and although not at his best for some time, was decent enough for most of his time here.

Gooner23
15-01-2019, 02:41 PM
LeGrove reporting that he's heard Misinlat is about to leave the club. That would be a massive blow (if it's not BS)!

SMatthews
15-01-2019, 03:03 PM
LeGrove reporting that he's heard Misinlat is about to leave the club. That would be a massive blow (if it's not BS)!

Been knocking about since the weekend that one. If true, that would be 2 of the 3 who hired Emery going out the door in 6 months :lol:

He's fallen out with managers before, or it could be due to having nothing to do due to tightening of budget.

Özim
15-01-2019, 03:54 PM
If this does happen what an absolute disaster for this club, he hasn't been in the job that long, we're losing people left right an centre and have no direction, no money it seems and problems all over the pitch.

Next summer is really important for Emery, the players we're being linked with are not the kind of players we should be after either, Suarez who hasn't excelled at anything and can't get a game for one of the worst Barca sides in recent times, Benega who is almost 31 and Carrasco who went off to China and is nothing amazing anyway (they all sound like they might.be players Emery wants based on the type of players and where two of them are based so it wouldn't surprise me if this rumour turns out to be true).

No defenders linked either.

Not really sure what to make with what seems to be happening at the club at the moment, we're a shadow of the club that left Highbury.

That said Mislintats' signings to date have been far from impressive overall, maybe we brought the wrong guy from Dortmund as they seem to be flying at the moment since Tuchel and he left.

Marc Overmars
15-01-2019, 04:11 PM
If that's true then we should be very, very concerned with how utterly rudderless this club has become.

Come to think of it, Bangea, Carrasco, Suarez etc do not fit the profile of player Misinlat is known for. Maybe there really has been a disagreement in the recruitment process and Emery has been poking his nose in where it shouldn't be?

McNamara That Ghost...
15-01-2019, 07:10 PM
His immediate signings haven't exactly been inspired, out of the box signings.

He has gone back to Dortmund directly or former Dortmund alumni mainly. :lol:

Of course the issue would be its more upheaval at a time of so much already.

SMatthews
15-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Well it’s made some of the more ‘reputable’ papers now, with rumours about Bayern wanting him.

Coming out a week after saying loan signings only, it could be because they know he’s leaving and that stops us going into the market.

GP
15-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Been knocking about since the weekend that one. If true, that would be 2 of the 3 who hired Emery going out the door in 6 months :lol:

He's fallen out with managers before, or it could be due to having nothing to do due to tightening of budget.

I heard he's not happy that we're bringing Edu in and watering down his job.
If that's true, I don't blame him for walking.

SMatthews
15-01-2019, 09:59 PM
I heard he's not happy that we're bringing Edu in and watering down his job.
If that's true, I don't blame him for walking.

God knows. Maybe now Raul has more power, he wants someone who can tap into the South American market. Low value buys and potential big sales. Real and Barca have done it for years.

Özim
15-01-2019, 10:35 PM
This seems to be happening, looks like our plan to find young talents is disappearing in front of our eyes. Last thing we needed really with money being tight.

Marc Overmars
15-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Gazidis left and we were all very blasé about it however this new infrastructure at the club was his creation. The cunt should never have left after implementing such a huge change, this was his vision and he should still be here steering the ship.

You need a leader and a clear direction at the top, now it seems like the work done in the summer has been totally undermined and we are set for unnecessary upheaval.

hobson's choice
15-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Ivan and whatever his name leaving. Let's me know, Emery
was not the manager they wanted.

SMatthews
15-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Vieira v Henry tomorrow night, Nice v Monaco.

KSE Comedy Club
16-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Ivan and whatever his name leaving. Let's me know, Emery
was not the manager they wanted.

They were the ones who appointed him though

Özim
16-01-2019, 12:21 PM
They were the ones who appointed him though

True, they also wanted Arteta which is worrying, only a last ditch change led to them appointing Emery, I find it strange we weren't in the least interested in any of the elite managers.

Bumble
16-01-2019, 01:10 PM
True, they also wanted Arteta which is worrying, only a last ditch change led to them appointing Emery, I find it strange we weren't in the least interested in any of the elite managers.

or maybe the elite managers weren't interested in us. no funds, Europa league football with an imbalances squad. what elite manager would you refer too?

also to be fair to emery he was manager at PSG an "elite" club.

the possibility of Arteta was odd though.

Özim
16-01-2019, 02:31 PM
or maybe the elite managers weren't interested in us. no funds, Europa league football with an imbalances squad. what elite manager would you refer too?

also to be fair to emery he was manager at PSG an "elite" club.

the possibility of Arteta was odd though.

I don't think we were interested from the reports we got, we're a big club and a big challenge for anyone, look at Man U for example, they have no problem attracting top managers, even when not in the CL, the funds I guess you may have a point.

Simeone, Zidane are two names that come to mind, there's Allegri of course as well (he apparently wasn't interested but we didn't approach him either looking at the candidates).

He was and so is Tuchel, but neither are elite managers, it's a bit trial and error at PSG, they just try someone different untll they get what they want.

Emerys' record is mixed bag, he did well at Sevilla but they never won the title and was never really challenging for the title and despite winning the Europa League never got anywhere in the CL, at PSG he won titles but to be honest that's a gimme at that club as they buy all the best players from their competitors, I thought he did a decent job overall but he PSG came 2nd in the CL group with us in it which is frankly pretty poor, then there was Barca debacle.

KSE Comedy Club
16-01-2019, 07:35 PM

I think in Gazidis’ plan, he didn’t want a ‘top’ manger in charge again in case he lost his newfound ‘power to rule’ in the future.

Mac76
16-01-2019, 07:49 PM
I think in Gazidis’ plan, he didn’t want a ‘top’ manger in charge again in case he lost his newfound ‘power to rule’ in the future.

I agree i think the Wenger experience drove them towards someone who'd work with what he is - or isn't - given and not complain, so we've got a europa-level manager who's not got the stature to get the respect of some players - remember he spent his time at PSG having run-ins with Neymar and whatever the ego problem with the player he was a big investment and maybe Emery should have been more accomodating, just he should be including Ozil in the team now IMO, as i and others have said it's not working without Ozil so we need him in the side, as he's going nowhere

fakeyank
16-01-2019, 09:47 PM

To me Emery was one of the elite managers available. If someone like Klopp is considered an elite manager, then Emery has a much better record than him and should be given time to put his stamp on the side.

Özim
17-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Edu not interested in coming to Arsenal apparently.

Marc Overmars
17-01-2019, 11:18 AM
So we pissed off Sven and can’t even get our man to replace him.

This club. :lol:

Özim
17-01-2019, 11:19 AM
To me Emery was one of the elite managers available. If someone like Klopp is considered an elite manager, then Emery has a much better record than him and should be given time to put his stamp on the side.

Not too sure, Klopp seems to have done more than Emery, he's won the league in Germany (no mean feat with Bayern) and they did well in the CL with him, including getting to the CL final, he also brought through a lot of quality players.

With all due respect to Emery the Europa league is not the same level as the CL and winning the league in France isn't really that hard when you're club have so much more money than anyone else. In the end he got the sack as well which suggests the club weren't happy with him. In addition Klopps' stock was high when he left Dortmund, Emerys' didn't seem to be after PSG, despite what he won he was kind seen to have failed, the embarrassing defeat to Barca really didn't help though, neither did coming 2nd behind us in the CL group, that was a pretty poor show given how average we were.

It's hard to gauge how good Emery is to be honest, what I remember from Klopps' Dortmund is much like what he's done at Liverpool, high energy, great footballing side where everyone know what they need to do, with Emery I'm not toos sure what his style is, it hasn't so far become too apparent at Arsenal how he wants to play because right now it's not much different to last season.

IMO what I will say is that Emery didn't really do his homework about Arsenal, if he had he would have been able to make more changes than he did last summer (not offering Xhaka etc new contracts and maybe selling them), you didn't need to come in to see they weren't good enough.

We've got the Ramsey situation where he's now going on a free (he should have decided there and then whether he wanted him or not) and now the Ozil situation, again he should have made up his mind last summer about him.

Özim
17-01-2019, 11:25 AM
So we pissed off Sven and can’t even get our man to replace him.

This club. :lol:

Every other big club seems to appeal to top managers and staff, except for Arsenal who seem to often get turned down, clearly something wrong at the club, if it was Man U or Chelsea Edu would have already bought a house no doubt!

I honestly don't like what Gazidis, Wenger and co have turned this club into, we've gone from a great club where success was massively important, to also rans only interested in money, that's a massive fail in my book.

We're a prime example of what no football club should ever become.

Ralpheroo72
17-01-2019, 11:52 AM
We’re a fucking shit house, that’s what we are.

Every other big club seems to appeal to top managers and staff, except for Arsenal who seem to often get turned down, clearly something wrong at the club, if it was Man U or Chelsea Edu would have already bought a house no doubt!

I honestly don't like what Gazidis, Wenger and co have turned this club into, we've gone from a great club where success was massively important, to also rans only interested in money, that's a massive fail in my book.

We're a prime example of what no football club should ever become.

SMatthews
17-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Not too sure, Klopp seems to have done more than Emery, he's won the league in Germany (no mean feat with Bayern) and they did well in the CL with him, including getting to the CL final, he also brought through a lot of quality players.

With all due respect to Emery the Europa league is not the same level as the CL and winning the league in France isn't really that hard when you're club have so much more money than anyone else. In the end he got the sack as well which suggests the club weren't happy with him. In addition Klopps' stock was high when he left Dortmund, Emerys' didn't seem to be after PSG, despite what he won he was kind seen to have failed, the embarrassing defeat to Barca really didn't help though, neither did coming 2nd behind us in the CL group, that was a pretty poor show given how average we were.

It's hard to gauge how good Emery is to be honest, what I remember from Klopps' Dortmund is much like what he's done at Liverpool, high energy, great footballing side where everyone know what they need to do, with Emery I'm not toos sure what his style is, it hasn't so far become too apparent at Arsenal how he wants to play because right now it's not much different to last season.

IMO what I will say is that Emery didn't really do his homework about Arsenal, if he had he would have been able to make more changes than he did last summer (not offering Xhaka etc new contracts and maybe selling them), you didn't need to come in to see they weren't good enough.

We've got the Ramsey situation where he's now going on a free (he should have decided there and then whether he wanted him or not) and now the Ozil situation, again he should have made up his mind last summer about him.

That’s a weird narrative. Most of the season we’ve worked harder and our attacking play has been better (evidenced through more goals and perhaps through conceding more) whether this drop off over Xmas is due to the team struggling to cope with the high work rate consistently remains to be seen. Liverpool went through the same in their first season under Klopp. Again, only time will tell. Not 6 months.

You are seeing Xhaka from the point of view of a fan who doesn’t like him. If you are a manager coming into a club knowing that you don’t have much to spend, and a more defensive minded midfielder is the priority, it makes little sense to dump the only other experienced option we have to play next to him. What would’ve happened when AMN when out injured in the first game? We’re not going to get much for Xhaka so then we have two newbies in the centre of our team, or a 19 year old. Or Elneny. He made a sensible choice to make the best of what he has available for his first season.

He decided he wanted Ramsey and started him higher up the field. It wasn’t down to him that the new guys came in and took the contract off the table. You could also suggest that Ramsey knew what he was doing and always itended to leave, which is why it took him so long to sign the thing, and this way it doesn’t make him look like the bad guy. Who knows on that one. If there is a cost saving exercise going on at the club (there was apparently a leaked email asking departments to save money, plus the lack of funds in this transfer window) then they took the contract away because of that. Emery seemed happy enough for Ramsey to sign up before that.

Same goes for Ozil. He came in, he backed him publicly, made him captain even - then Ozil stamps his spoilt little feet because he was dropped as he wasn’t performing or working hard enough. Which is exactly what a lot of fans have been criticising him for over the past 24 months. He’s just found out crying about it only worked under Wenger. Even the German team are glad to see the back of him after his tantrum.

Özim
17-01-2019, 12:13 PM
That’s a weird narrative. Most of the season we’ve worked harder and our attacking play has been better (evidenced through more goals and perhaps through conceding more) whether this drop off over Xmas is due to the team struggling to cope with the high work rate consistently remains to be seen. Liverpool went through the same in their first season under Klopp. Again, only time will tell. Not 6 months.

You are seeing Xhaka from the point of view of a fan who doesn’t like him. If you are a manager coming into a club knowing that you don’t have much to spend, and a more defensive minded midfielder is the priority, it makes little sense to dump the only other experienced option we have to play next to him. What would’ve happened when AMN when out injured in the first game? We’re not going to get much for Xhaka so then we have two newbies in the centre of our team, or a 19 year old. Or Elneny. He made a sensible choice to make the best of what he has available for his first season.

He decided he wanted Ramsey and started him higher up the field. It wasn’t down to him that the new guys came in and took the contract off the table. You could also suggest that Ramsey knew what he was doing and always itended to leave, which is why it took him so long to sign the thing, and this way it doesn’t make him look like the bad guy. Who knows on that one. If there is a cost saving exercise going on at the club (there was apparently a leaked email asking departments to save money, plus the lack of funds in this transfer window) then they took the contract away because of that. Emery seemed happy enough for Ramsey to sign up before that.

Same goes for Ozil. He came in, he backed him publicly, made him captain even - then Ozil stamps his spoilt little feet because he was dropped as he wasn’t performing or working hard enough. Which is exactly what a lot of fans have been criticising him for over the past 24 months. He’s just found out crying about it only worked under Wenger. Even the German team are glad to see the back of him after his tantrum.

I don't think his plan has been that clear to be honest and in throughout our winning run we did ride our luck, almost never performing in the 1st half of games at all, so I wouldn't say he's been that impressive so far, that's ignoring his faith in certain players, that is a choice and a wrong one IMO he should have tried out different options as certain players just don't make the grade. Let's not forget that in his 2nd season Klopp got Liverpool to the CL final as well, also don't forget Klopp only started working at Liverpool on the 8th October, so well into the season, he also got them to two finals that season (one in Europe).

I still would have tried to sell Xhaka and brought in someone else, he couldn't have been any worse than this guy who can barely play football, I just don't think we made a good enough job clearing out the dead wood and on top of that we offered new contracts to the wrong players.

Not good enough IMO, Ramsey hadn't signed so they should have given a date to sign up or sold him, no other options on the table, to let him drag it out (as we've done time and time again) was amateurish, there's no excuse to be honest.

As for Ozil I get your point, but if he needed money for new signings that would have been a perfect way of getting it, on top of that I don't like the way he's handled it, he's our best paid and most creative player, we don't have any better options so we shouldn't be leaving him out completely, it doesn't make any sense. Emery has history as well with Neymar that he couldn't get on with, he doesn't seem to be able to handle big players which is a worry as well.

There's certainly a few things about Emery that don't sit well with me at the moment, he's too stubborn and not flexible enough, he needs to change that because it's not going to go down well with the fans, I also don't like the players we seem to be interested in, they're either too old or totally unproven.

SMatthews
17-01-2019, 12:45 PM
I don't think his plan has been that clear to be honest and in throughout our winning run we did ride our luck, almost never performing in the 1st half of games at all, so I wouldn't say he's been that impressive so far, that's ignoring his faith in certain players, that is a choice and a wrong one IMO he should have tried out different options as certain players just don't make the grade. Let's not forget that in his 2nd season Klopp got Liverpool to the CL final as well, also don't forget Klopp only started working at Liverpool on the 8th October, so well into the season, he also got them to two finals that season (one in Europe).

I still would have tried to sell Xhaka and brought in someone else, he couldn't have been any worse than this guy who can barely play football, I just don't think we made a good enough job clearing out the dead wood and on top of that we offered new contracts to the wrong players.

Not good enough IMO, Ramsey hadn't signed so they should have given a date to sign up or sold him, no other options on the table, to let him drag it out (as we've done time and time again) was amateurish, there's no excuse to be honest.

As for Ozil I get your point, but if he needed money for new signings that would have been a perfect way of getting it, on top of that I don't like the way he's handled it, he's our best paid and most creative player, we don't have any better options so we shouldn't be leaving him out completely, it doesn't make any sense. Emery has history as well with Neymar that he couldn't get on with, he doesn't seem to be able to handle big players which is a worry as well.

There's certainly a few things about Emery that don't sit well with me at the moment, he's too stubborn and not flexible enough, he needs to change that because it's not going to go down well with the fans, I also don't like the players we seem to be interested in, they're either too old or totally unproven.

EDIT: You're missing the point of what I'm saying about Emery. Yes I've seen all those issues too. But there was a clear difference in the way we were trying to play before we hit Xmas. Most fans would agree on that. You're also missing the point on Klopp. The high energy rate took its toll on his team around the mid-way point of the season. That could be the reason we are going through the same. I don't know. It's just a guess but it's better than just saying "he's just like Wenger again" or just "do better". There has to be a reason for it as there has been a noticeable change recently (oh and Klopp got to the CL final in his third year). There is also a case to be made for Klopp that he could be one of those managers who is "always the bride" as he's lost a lot of finals so far. Winning the league will go a long way to changing that perception.

His plan is identifiable but it’s become less so during December. Whether that’s to do with the energy levels dropping due to the demand of his style, we’ll have to see. Having full backs with good energy that can get up as down is pivotal to the way he wants to play. We’ve mostly not had that due to Monreal’s injury and were certainly better before Bellerin went out. I will not be surprised if he buys there in the summer.

See, this is what I mean. “Can barely play football” is a nonsense statement. Its easy to say I would’ve got rid and done x and x but you have to take into consideration the other factors I mentioned. This isn’t a video game and changes don’t happen ovenight. The contracts are also out of his hands. His job is the team now, the Wenger days are over in that regard.

People use the Neymar thing as an example but there were more than one big name in that team. Neymar is the king of that club and any manager would lose that battle. So pointing out a single example as proof isn’t anywhere near enough - especially when it’s soemone with the power that Neymar has at that club. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that after all these years PSG have not managed to secure an ‘elite’ manager yet.

The situation with Ozil is probably more complicated than Emery just dropping him for the sake of it. But if you want to boil it down just to Emery v Ozil, then Emery seems to be winniing that one pretty easily.

This is the thing that kills me about the Ozil situation - for two years fans have grown more and more frustrated with him and when a manager finally puts his lazy arse in place, Ozil suddenly becomes this mercurial genius that is going to turn our season around. He certainly didn’t last season. At the start of this season he didn’t either. And yet we have similar amount of points, goals when he’s not around. Tells me is quite replaceable. And given his flakey nature I would definitely question his injuries - did we believe all his absences last season? Then there’s no need to think it’s any different now. He’s used to being pampered and he’s found out that neither the national team or his club side value him highly enough anymore. If Germany - who are going through a real dip - can’t live without him, why can’t we?

When you say ‘them’ about the Ramsey contact, you mean Gazidis and co right? Emery would’ve probably said “yes I’d like to keep him” but contract deadlines etc is out of his hands. So yes, not good enough by the upper management for sure.

And can we not judge him on transfer rumours and just the players he actually buys? Stop finding reasons to turn agaisnt him, because that certainly is nowhere near a ‘free pass’. Emery needs to do what he thinks his best and if it works in the long run then fans will change their tune. Most fans are too short sighted in that regard. I’ve no idea if Emery is the man for us or not long term, but I’m willing to give him the FULL benefit of the doubt until he’s had the chance to prove himself.

Özim
18-01-2019, 10:34 AM
EDIT: You're missing the point of what I'm saying about Emery. Yes I've seen all those issues too. But there was a clear difference in the way we were trying to play before we hit Xmas. Most fans would agree on that. You're also missing the point on Klopp. The high energy rate took its toll on his team around the mid-way point of the season. That could be the reason we are going through the same. I don't know. It's just a guess but it's better than just saying "he's just like Wenger again" or just "do better". There has to be a reason for it as there has been a noticeable change recently (oh and Klopp got to the CL final in his third year). There is also a case to be made for Klopp that he could be one of those managers who is "always the bride" as he's lost a lot of finals so far. Winning the league will go a long way to changing that perception.

His plan is identifiable but it’s become less so during December. Whether that’s to do with the energy levels dropping due to the demand of his style, we’ll have to see. Having full backs with good energy that can get up as down is pivotal to the way he wants to play. We’ve mostly not had that due to Monreal’s injury and were certainly better before Bellerin went out. I will not be surprised if he buys there in the summer.

See, this is what I mean. “Can barely play football” is a nonsense statement. Its easy to say I would’ve got rid and done x and x but you have to take into consideration the other factors I mentioned. This isn’t a video game and changes don’t happen ovenight. The contracts are also out of his hands. His job is the team now, the Wenger days are over in that regard.

People use the Neymar thing as an example but there were more than one big name in that team. Neymar is the king of that club and any manager would lose that battle. So pointing out a single example as proof isn’t anywhere near enough - especially when it’s soemone with the power that Neymar has at that club. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that after all these years PSG have not managed to secure an ‘elite’ manager yet.

The situation with Ozil is probably more complicated than Emery just dropping him for the sake of it. But if you want to boil it down just to Emery v Ozil, then Emery seems to be winniing that one pretty easily.

This is the thing that kills me about the Ozil situation - for two years fans have grown more and more frustrated with him and when a manager finally puts his lazy arse in place, Ozil suddenly becomes this mercurial genius that is going to turn our season around. He certainly didn’t last season. At the start of this season he didn’t either. And yet we have similar amount of points, goals when he’s not around. Tells me is quite replaceable. And given his flakey nature I would definitely question his injuries - did we believe all his absences last season? Then there’s no need to think it’s any different now. He’s used to being pampered and he’s found out that neither the national team or his club side value him highly enough anymore. If Germany - who are going through a real dip - can’t live without him, why can’t we?

When you say ‘them’ about the Ramsey contact, you mean Gazidis and co right? Emery would’ve probably said “yes I’d like to keep him” but contract deadlines etc is out of his hands. So yes, not good enough by the upper management for sure.

And can we not judge him on transfer rumours and just the players he actually buys? Stop finding reasons to turn agaisnt him, because that certainly is nowhere near a ‘free pass’. Emery needs to do what he thinks his best and if it works in the long run then fans will change their tune. Most fans are too short sighted in that regard. I’ve no idea if Emery is the man for us or not long term, but I’m willing to give him the FULL benefit of the doubt until he’s had the chance to prove himself.

I see what you're saying and I'd be fine with that if not for a few things which are starting to bug me, the inflexibility he's showing with certain players getting picked regardless, when a player isn't performing well you don't keep playing him over and over and over again, you try to change things (he seems a bit slow at seeing issues IMO), I feel certain players (just like with Wenger) seem to get picked regardless, for most of the season we've also seen that in almost every game in the 1st half we haven't got started, I find it odd that a manager doesn't address that, yes I agree it can happen sometimes, but it was almost every game and we got very lucky as most of our opponents missed simple chances to lead. These little things bug me a bit I'll be honest. As for Klopp yes he does lose finals, but he's also won a trophies, most notable the league in the past, but I see your point, what I will say is his teams play great football, I don't think we're plying particularly great football at the moment.

Monreal is 33, he won't be able to get up and down, on top of that our full backs can't cross for toffee unfortunately, so we'd need to address that, but I also think that given our defensive problems he should be looking to adapt a bit and focus on defending first with the defenders.

Well look at what he does on the pitch, he can't tackle, is slow, doesn't read the game well, his passing is OK (and that's his best attribute) and his shooting isn't all that either, IMO in professional terms he's not very good, I don't even think he's a good enough squad player. Where there's a will there's a way, what's clear is Emery didn't want a clearout, as for the contracts I appreciate he doesn't handle them, but he decides whether he wants to keep a player or not and with Ramsey he clearly changed his mind (they wouldn't have just taken the contract away without him being consulted at least), moreover they knew he had a year left, so the logic would be to get him to sign or sell him, Emery knew this as well and in my opinion knowing this should hae suggested they sold him.

Well it's happening with Ozil again, falling put with a big player, if anything you'd be trying to keep your best players happy. With regards Ozil, he's not really winning, we've had to play players who aren't much good and have been losing games because Emery seems to have fallen out with Ozil, that's cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO, by all means sell him in the summer, but in the meantime make use of him (he is on 350k a week) even from the bench, he can create goals as he's our most creative player, moreover if he does perform well his value will go up and we'll be able to sell him, not picking him will make it even harder to sell him for anything meaningful if at all, so it's illogical.

Whatever anyone thinks about Ozil, right now we need to use him, he's getting paid huge amounts and can create goals for us and when were in poor form and losing game we have to be more flexible, if people want him sold fine, but we can't sell him right now so let's at least use someone we're paying a fortune to.

It's not out of his hands, he had a year left on his contract, the way I see it you'd say if he doesn't sign by x date (in the summer) then we should sell him as he could leave on a free otherwise, the lack of common sense is alarming, especially given how many times this has alread happened.

I'm happy to give him a chance, but for me he needs to also earn the chance by showing us something different, gone are the days of a free ticket like Wenger had.

Marc Overmars
21-01-2019, 03:16 PM
The club have confirmed that Mislintat is leaving.

GP
21-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Bye Felicia

Özim
21-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Didn't work out too well, he didn't have much chance of finding those gems he was well known for that earned him the name Diamond Eye.

Shame we really, we could have really used a few undiscovered gems.

SMatthews
21-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Ornstein seems to think Francis Cagiago will be his replacement, with Monchi - who worked with Emery at Sevilla - getting the TD role.

Looks like we’ll be going Spanish on and off the field.

Mac76
22-01-2019, 09:55 AM
at least we'll be able to dig out all those jokes about Monchi using gorilla tactics to ape his opponents' play...

SMatthews
23-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Squires on Emery and Ozil

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/jan/23/david-squires-on-mesut-ozil-and-unai-emerys-relationship

SMatthews
24-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Henry suspended after 104 days as manager :lol:

And to think some people wanted him as manager here. Get back to the pundit room please, and salvage your legend while you can.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Monaco is a basket case.....that's why I didn't get carried away when Jardim who I really like was sacked from there. Incidentally he is the front runner to come in....which I hope for his own sake he passes up on.

Letters
28-01-2019, 03:53 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomEde1/status/1088899514528866305?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1088899514528866305&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fbbcthree%2Fa rticle%2F3ecdf72c-395a-4b3a-8286-7e4b2c6227fb

Pointless stats :bow:

hobson's choice
29-01-2019, 07:43 PM
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/gupta-arsenal-racism.png

These are the people who represent Arsenal. Wow.

If you gonna be a bigot, be an accurate one. Iwobi is a 100 per cent Africanus. He like every other pure Africanus Negroid, has no drip of Neanderthal blood. That's Euro and Asian thing.

This club is embarrassing

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/esha-gupta-arsenal-racism2.png

GP
29-01-2019, 07:45 PM
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/gupta-arsenal-racism.png

If you gonna be a bigot, be an accurate one. Iwobi is a 100 per cent Africanus. He like every other pure Africanus Negroid, has no drip of Neanderthal blood. That's Euro and Asian thing.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/esha-gupta-arsenal-racism2.png

lol anus

Penguin
31-01-2019, 02:00 PM

The club is embarrassing because of a random fan's comments on twitter? :lol:

rodders
06-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Until Kroenke goes Arsenal are destined to be also rans

Marc Overmars
07-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Spurs confirm the NLD will be played at Wembley and not the new stadium. :faint:

LDG
07-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Spurs confirm the NLD will be played at Wembley and not the new stadium. :faint:

So we're basically at home.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-02-2019, 07:13 AM
BBC News refers to our No 10 as Mehmet Ozil. :lol:

Truly a forgotten man!

Ralpheroo72
08-02-2019, 09:23 AM
BBC News refers to our No 10 as Mehmet Ozil. :lol:

Truly a forgotten man!

Wasn’t he the taxi driver in Eastenders?

McNamara That Ghost...
09-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Charlie?

Bumble
09-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Welbeck is our 3rd highest scorer this season and we are letting him go on a free.

Mac76
09-02-2019, 11:52 AM
but presumably he's 3rd highest by a very long way?

Globalgunner
09-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Im guessing he may be on par with that goal ace, Koscielny

Bumble
10-02-2019, 03:29 PM
yeah he scored 5.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
10-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Welbeck is our 3rd highest scorer this season and we are letting him go on a free.

It makes no sense to let Welbeck go at this time, but hey Emery has been making lot of other senseless irreparable decisions for us... so who cares.

SMatthews
10-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Like Ramsey, the amount of injuries he has negates his contribution. 5 goals can be replaced.

Marc Overmars
10-02-2019, 04:31 PM
I like Welbz but he's easily replaceable. Plenty of hard working players out there are likely to be more productive than he is as well.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
10-02-2019, 05:34 PM
I like Welbz but he's easily replaceable. Plenty of hard working players out there are likely to be more productive than he is as well.

He's made 14 apps (hardly ever starting or finishing a game) and has 5 goals as our 3rd choice striker- I can't remember any multiples (e.g. Aguero) distorting those stats.

Good luck finding a replacement that would be happy playing under our current conditions with our shoe string budget.

Marc Overmars
10-02-2019, 05:39 PM
1 league goal. The rest against farmers in the Europa League and League Cup. :shrug:

Mac76
10-02-2019, 05:54 PM
new league table https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/table

:scarf:

21_GOONER_SALUTE
10-02-2019, 06:07 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11633910/jamie-carragher-compares-chelsea-to-arsene-wengers-arsenal-after-hammering-at-manchester-city

It's funny cause it's true.

I expressed the same thing to a chavski mate months ago and told him he was going to regret his love for Sarriball.. lol.

Edit: just read the story and realised the idiot based it on unscientific things like looking weak and taking a hammering. The similarity I pointed out to my mate was the aimless passing and purring over silly passing and possession stats (especially Jorghinho)

Özim
10-02-2019, 06:59 PM
1 league goal. The rest against farmers in the Europa League and League Cup. :shrug:

Not being funny but Welbeck is an awful striker, if we can't find a superior backup to replace this guy we're in trouble. For his entire career people have been saying he's got everything to be a top striker, he's just needs to work on his finishing, he's 28 now and can still barely ever hit the target.

I'll be happy to see him leave, we should have never signed him in the 1st place, people use to make jokes about him when he was at Man U.

SMatthews
12-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Did Iwobi really get jeered off on Saturday? Unreal if true.

Letters
12-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Did Iwobi really get jeered off on Saturday? Unreal if true.

I’m not understanding the Iwobi hate.
His end product was all over the shop on Saturday but I know he’s capable of better and his work rate is terrific

Marc Overmars
12-02-2019, 01:30 PM
I feel Iwobi could become a really good player with a bit of meticulous coaching, he's got a lot of natural ability but his brain turns to mush in the final third.

Look at how Pep has transformed Sterling, I think Iwobi has the potential for a similar transformation.

The frustration from the fans is probably more to do with the fact we're currently relying on Iwobi to be our main creative outlet when he's not shown any consistency to earn that role for himself. If Emery played Ozil a bit more then less would be expected from Iwobi but because Emery has decided he doesn't want anything to do with Ozil, that has dramatically reduced our attacking options from midfield. Even more so considering the reluctance to use Ramsey because of his impending departure.

Bumble
12-02-2019, 01:51 PM
I feel Iwobi could become a really good player with a bit of meticulous coaching, he's got a lot of natural ability but his brain turns to mush in the final third.

Look at how Pep has transformed Sterling, I think Iwobi has the potential for a similar transformation.

The frustration from the fans is probably more to do with the fact we're currently relying on Iwobi to be our main creative outlet when he's not shown any consistency to earn that role for himself. If Emery played Ozil a bit more then less would be expected from Iwobi but because Emery has decided he doesn't want anything to do with Ozil, that has dramatically reduced our attacking options from midfield. Even more so considering the reluctance to use Ramsey because of his impending departure.

Think Sterling is a lot more direct and not sure Iwobi has as much pace as Sterling... so I don't think he will get to that level of Sterling. But he does work hard and teams need players who always give 100%. As you say he is being relied on to do a role he isn't ready for because Emery doesn't like Ozil and Ramsey is leaving.

we are now playing 2 strikers and are crying out for a creative attacking midfielder in behind. sort of thing ozil could do if he could be bothered.

SMatthews
12-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Perhaps, but when Ozil doesn’t turn in a performance - which is often the case - he doesn’t get jeered off. Especially if he’s scored a goal and helped set up another. Iwobi has a lot to improve but to jeer him off is fucking retarded. There are bigger problems in the team than Iwobi - plus when you factor in he’s been at our club since he was a kid and fans single him out. We want our ‘own’ players to come through and develop and this is how they get treated along the way. Bellerin has gone through similar. Just plain dumb.

Marc Overmars
12-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Football fans are generally morons but I do find that we as Arsenal fans have almost conditioned ourselves into being cynical and untrusting, thanks to years of underachievement, failure and a lack of loyalty from our best players. That now infamous picture of the 5 British players signing their new contracts is an example of that.

I had a little chuckle at Ramsey's statement yesterday, he thanked the fans for being loyal and supportive. :lol:
Yeah right, if he could say what he really wanted to he'd never be able to step foot in Islington again.

SMatthews
12-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Very true on both counts. Those frustrations are manifesting themselves not just with the players, but with the new manager too. They didn't just vanish when Wenger walked out the door. Could get even worse next season if Kroenke decides not to invest much into the team.

Özim
12-02-2019, 04:58 PM
The problem for Iwobi is that he should really be a backup/squad player, he's still learning but he is almost 23 now so isn't a kid anymore, Emery has put him in the firing line by cutting our Ozil and to some extent Ramsey (cutting off your nose to spite your face) so it's no surprise people are frustrated when we performing poorly and his end product is non existent.

In truth though it's fine to have players like him in the squad but they just shouldn't be 1st teamers because they aren't quite up to the required standard, if Emery decides to put him in there then he has to take the blame if Iwobi gets some flack.

Comparisons with Sterling aren't relevant, just because Sterling made it it doesn't mean Iwobi will be as good, some players just have what it takes and others don't, it was the same with Welbeck (and many others) people said he was a world class striker in the making, he never became one because he wasn't good enough and didn't have the right attributes.

We've seen countless kids play at Arsenal over the years that have been touted as the next great hope, it never really pans out though because those players are few and far between, Iwobi is decent but I'm not conviced he's going to become a world beater, decent squad player if he can improve his end product though, but he needs to improve soon as he's getting closer to his mid 20s now.

I'm not going to feel too sorry for footballers though, they don't have a bad life all in all.

Mac76
12-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Perhaps, but when Ozil doesn’t turn in a performance - which is often the case - he doesn’t get jeered off. Especially if he’s scored a goal and helped set up another. Iwobi has a lot to improve but to jeer him off is fucking retarded. There are bigger problems in the team than Iwobi - plus when you factor in he’s been at our club since he was a kid and fans single him out. We want our ‘own’ players to come through and develop and this is how they get treated along the way. Bellerin has gone through similar. Just plain dumb.

This

Am not sure Iwobi will make it here long-term but he does, particularly as an academy player, deserve some basic respect, he's doing his best and trying to be positive when Emery plays him

Chippy
13-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Wrighty and Dixon praising the Spuds tonight. How much worse can it get. FFS.

SMatthews
13-02-2019, 11:39 PM
As long as there’s no stupid, retarded, backwards Arsenal fans praising them, we should be alright.

Mac76
14-02-2019, 10:06 AM
well some people on here see fit to have spuds players in their fantasy sides - that means that in some way they want spuds players to do well, which means they, errr, want spuds to do well...

and these are people calling themselves 'fans' on an Arsenal message board

:sarcy: :thumbsdown:

Chippy
14-02-2019, 10:16 AM
well some people on here see fit to have spuds players in their fantasy sides - that means that in some way they want spuds players to do well, which means they, errr, want spuds to do well...

Ban them!!:threaten::threaten:

Letters
14-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Or maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there, they want to win their fantasy competition.

Coney
14-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Or maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there, they want to win their fantasy competition.

tbf, spuds winning anything IS a fantasy

Marc Overmars
14-02-2019, 10:38 AM
I have some Spuds in my team but I'd still rather they didn't perform. The fact their players are good points earners is a silver lining I suppose.

Letters
14-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Spurs do the FB 10 year challenge with their trophy cabinet. Hasn't changed a bit

https://i.ibb.co/jLHPtnc/10-Year-Challenge.jpg

Bumble
14-02-2019, 01:45 PM
think yesterday was first time I started to miss Arsenal being in the Champions League.... seems a while since we had a really good European night.

also apparently Wenger nearly signed Sancho from City.

Letters
14-02-2019, 02:13 PM
think yesterday was first time I started to miss Arsenal being in the Champions League.... seems a while since we had a really good European night.

also apparently Wenger nearly signed Sancho from City.

Europa is a more realistic shot at a trophy but it undeniably exciting to be playing a Barca or a Dortmund.
Although these days we'd just get thumped by them anyway, until we have a chance at giving them a game we might as well stay at our level. :(

fakeyank
14-02-2019, 02:57 PM
I dont miss Champions league nights at all. The last CL outings I remember really enjoying (and ultimately getting my heart broken) was the run to the final in 06 and the invincibles season in 04. We definitely had a real shot at winning the whole thing in 04 but Lehmann f'ed it up in the second leg.

Ever since we moved to the Emirates, there was not one season where I thought we had a shot at winning the title. We had some memorable games like Barca, Milan, Bayern, but I knew we were not going to make it out alive after 2 legs.

I'd rather we play Balochistan FC in Europa and win it. I am a big fish in a small pond kinda guy.

Özim
14-02-2019, 03:12 PM
I don't miss the CL either, the group stages were a bore and as soon as we got through to the last 16 we knew we'd get thumped, the lack of unpredictability made it boring, I much preferred the days when I thought we had a shot.

At least we have a chance of winning the Europa, yes it's a poor quality competition in comparison but at least it's achievable and we qualify for the CL if we win it anyway.

Mac76
14-02-2019, 03:42 PM
i do quite enjoy seeing these oddball teams from far-flung places, it's a good way of adding to the 'teams i've seen play live' list...

but if we're not in CL within 2-3 years it will say something about the state of the club and it really will be hard to get really good players - even if there is money available

AFC Leveller
18-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Juve gave us Litschteiner
We gave them Ramsay

As Trump would say “that’s the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever”

McNamara That Ghost...
18-02-2019, 08:35 PM
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/20/20-gordon-ramsay.w700.h700.jpg

Letters
12-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Laca available for Rennes game :dance:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47546055

dazthegooner
12-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Yep just see this on Skysports though this was written 'After having a second-half equaliser correctly ruled out for offside, the France international striker was sent off for swinging an elbow in frustration towards Aleksandar Filipovic with five minutes remaining.

Mac76
12-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Rennes :rose:

Letters
17-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Happy Birthday Pat Rice

70 today

:patrice:

Letters
09-04-2019, 06:10 AM
Bercow :bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UxF4ttFJiE0

GP
09-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Bercow is great.

Letters
15-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Will talk to MrsL about getting this for our room :dance:

https://www.facebook.com/JuniorGunners/videos/1732657066878201/

Letters
23-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Flew to Warsaw today on one of my work trips. Usually go from Luton but for various reasons went from Heathrow this time which meant we flew across London
Took this from the plane:

https://i.ibb.co/MffRfbh/Arsenal.jpg

SMatthews
23-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Best two stadiums in the UK.

GP
23-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Do you know what I like about The Emirates?

It's that it doesn't look like a fuckin toilet.

SMatthews
02-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Let’s do this shit again this season please

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/europa-league/2018-2019/by-george-arsenal-and-the-94-cup-winners-cup_sto7253210/story.shtml

Marc Overmars
02-05-2019, 04:28 PM
That game is my earliest memory of Arsenal. Just remember my dad going nuts at full time and wondering WTF was going on. :lol:

Would kill for some European success again.

SMatthews
02-05-2019, 04:30 PM
I was in my late teens then but remember sod all of the campaign, only the goal Smudger scored in the final.

And then, of course, the final the following year <_<

Letters
04-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Those finals were my second and third years at Uni :oldboy:
Some great memories but I wouldn’t want to go back to that style of football or only turning up for the occasional cup game. Zim’s right that we prioritised the cups in those seasons but I don’t believe for one minute he’d accept that now, I definitely wouldn’t. I suspect he spent most of that season whining his tits off about the results and boring football.

Letters
04-05-2019, 09:43 AM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11710094/petr-cech-to-release-single-in-collaboration-with-queen-legend-roger-taylor

I be this is going to be brilliant...

SMatthews
04-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Those finals were my second and third years at Uni :oldboy:
Some great memories but I wouldn’t want to go back to that style of football or only turning up for the occasional cup game. Zim’s right that we prioritised the cups in those seasons but I don’t believe for one minute he’d accept that now, I definitely wouldn’t. I suspect he spent most of that season whining his tits off about the results and boring football.

Thing is, when we won the title in 91 we played good football. But as the article says, over the next few years we didn’t build on the squad and got rid of players like Thomas and Rocastle, while the board didn’t want to spend big on replacements. Then when Wright joined we became top heavy in terms of goal scoring. All sounds pretty familiar.

Bumble
08-05-2019, 06:16 AM
Not Arsenal related but how good was the corner routine for the 4th Liverpool goal last night. Cant imagine any of our players thinking like that.

Just imagine, a few years ago there was clamour for getting Klopp at Arsenal before it was too late.

Letters
08-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Back in the day we had players who could think like that.

Letters
08-05-2019, 05:58 PM
https://www.arsenal.com/news/tickets-available-anfield-89-reunion

GW table?

LDG
08-05-2019, 07:35 PM
https://www.arsenal.com/news/tickets-available-anfield-89-reunion

GW table?

How much!!!??

One for the true fans then :rolleyes:

Letters
08-05-2019, 08:03 PM
I assumed WMUG’s daddy would be paying for us.

It’s for charidee, innit?

LDG
08-05-2019, 08:06 PM
I assumed WMUG’s daddy would be paying for us.

It’s for charidee, innit?

Daddy, buy me a horse!

Bumble
08-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Come on Liverpool

Letters
10-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Happy 50th Birthday, Dennis Bergkamp

:bow:

GP
10-05-2019, 10:11 PM
50?? Fuck sake