PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction Arsenal v/s Burnley, Nov 1

Niall_Quinn
01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Alexis :bow:

fakeyank
01-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Why can't we play like we played from 62 mins on?? What's stopping us from being direct like that? Start like that from 0 mins!
Anyway.. let's all just applaud sanchez for the brilliance he is. What a world class player we have got. Think about the price we paid for him and the return and then compare him to the fraud who we paid 70 million dollars for.

Alexis is bang for your buck and much more! Top Top signing!

Marc Overmars
01-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Alexis :bow:

Master Splinter
01-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Poor final ball/finishing in the first half, but they stepped it up and should have won by at least 6-0 in the end.

Heaton made five excellent saves, Cazorla missed another sitter, Podolski smashed the bar, should have had a pel. Actually, 10-0 would have been fair tbf.

Sanchez is just brilliant.

Oxlade finally had a good game. WUMger will drop him on Tuesday.

Gibbs and especially Chambers with his goal and assist, had good games again.

Theo looked sharp when he came on. Nearly scored and set up Podolski.

Clean sheet again. Flamini and Arteta are the future.

Cazorla a bit shit once more. Welbeck drops too deep.

Arsenal :bow:.

Sanchez :bow:.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Theo and Alexis very amorous after the third....I checked the replay to see if Walcott had anything to do with it but he didn't.....He was the 12th man like the rest of us watching the majesty of Alexis' brilliance. They've obviously had a few beers together off field.

Walcott and Sanchex sitting in a eucalyptus tree.....wrapped in cotton wool please. The focus can slip a little on the Centre forward this way.

Toronto Gooner
01-11-2014, 05:27 PM
A very good result, even though it did seem that Burnley put 8 players in defence.

Unlike the earlier comment, I am actually looking forward to seeing Ozil pulling the strings with Sanchez, Walcott and others benefiting.

adzzzbatch
01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
A real turd of a game until we scored, even though he had a bit of an off day Alexis was still the one that made the difference. Once we got that first goal things just started to click.

I did notice that Burnley stopped their timewasting after going beind �� the cunts.

Niall_Quinn
01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x293s2a_alexis-sanchez-goal-arsenal-vs-burnley-1-0-premier-league-01-11-2014_sport

Niall_Quinn
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x293rqf_chambers-gooooal-2-0-arsenal-vs-burnley-01-11-14_sport

Niall_Quinn
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x293tn4_sanchez-second-goal-arsenal-vs-burnley-3-0-2014_sport

Munchies
01-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks alot for the goals NQ !

Was just trying to watch a vine of it at work and the fecker wouldn't work!

Niall_Quinn
01-11-2014, 06:48 PM
:tiphat:

Munchies
01-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Just caught up with the game.

Fuckin wow at Alexis, what a player!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuWx8dNNuME

Munchies
01-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Get rid of Ozil

Sanchez number 10?

GP
01-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Played really well. The scoreline flattered Burnley massively.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Totally. Sanchez could have had 5 today such was his prowess.

Globalgunner
02-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Honorable mention for Podolski too. Could have scored twice in 3 mins. Would be a great player for us if only we knew how best to use him.
Cazorla should consider donating his match fee to charity

fakeyank
02-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Honorable mention for Podolski too. Could have scored twice in 3 mins. Would be a great player for us if only we knew how best to use him.
Cazorla should consider donating his match fee to charity

Podolski baffles me. He seems like he has everything to be a great player for us, yet whenever he starts for us, he is massively shit. May be he needs to play with another striker to bring out the best. He is a brilliant striker though... gets in the right places and has a left foot like a hammer!

alexander
02-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Just caught up with the game.

Fuckin wow at Alexis, what a player!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuWx8dNNuME

Dam he is a bit tidy. Looks a better buy than that bug eyed lazy fuck Ozil. I hope Alexis attitude and work rate rubs off on others, because he is head and shoulders above the rest of the team.
3 goals, clean sheet, happy with that.

Penguin
02-11-2014, 09:26 AM
The problem with Podolski is that he doesn't fit anywhere in our system. He doesn't have the pace, guile or dribbling ability to be effective out wide and he's practically non-existent when he plays as a lone striker. He needs to play upfront with another striker but I'm not a fan of that idea, at least not to fit Podolski into the side.

Marc Overmars
02-11-2014, 11:12 AM
The problem with Podolski is that he doesn't fit anywhere in our system. He doesn't have the pace, guile or dribbling ability to be effective out wide and he's practically non-existent when he plays as a lone striker. He needs to play upfront with another striker but I'm not a fan of that idea, at least not to fit Podolski into the side.

Yep, good finisher but when you're rarely in a position to make a difference then it doesn't matter. He'll be gone in January or next summer. Wenget knows he's not his cup of tea.

The Emirates Gallactico
02-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Yep, good finisher but when you're rarely in a position to make a difference then it doesn't matter. He'll be gone in January or next summer. Wenget knows he's not his cup of tea.

If he wasn't on ridicolous wages and if was happy with it, I would be more than prepared to keep Podolski around as our Solskajaer - the guy you throw on in the last 20 minutes to help you get a goal in a match you're chasing. He's rather good at that ........ problem is that's all he's good for.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
I think if he played a full league season he would get 10+ goals and would have as many games where he scored or looked a threat as games where he was completely anonymous. The issue is whether that contribution is deemed to be enough to a team over a season.

Most of us don't and Wenger doesn't either.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-11-2014, 04:44 PM
People getting excited again :lol:

We ain't winning jack shit. Don't get your hopes up. We were top for 128 days and still bundled into 4th.

Letters
02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Who is getting excited? :shrug:

No one thinks we'll win the league - Chelsea are a a machine who will probably grind their way to the title - but we're back in the top 4 and in touch with City. We're hardly in the crisis some were claiming

Niall_Quinn
02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
People getting excited again :lol:

We ain't winning jack shit. Don't get your hopes up. We were top for 128 days and still bundled into 4th.

If we keep on playing like we did in the last 30 mins of that game, and if we can play Burnley every week and in all the cups and every round of the CL - we'll do the treble.

Master Splinter
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Everyone's definitely getting their hopes up around here. Fucking idiots.

I for one, am enlightened.

We won't win the quadruple and then you won't be celebrating.

And I'll be right again. And I'll post about it here again to prove to you all that you were comprehensively wrong about believing we were the best team on the planet after beating Burnley.

The internet is mine.

GP
02-11-2014, 05:02 PM
WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Syn
02-11-2014, 05:02 PM
:haha:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-11-2014, 05:08 PM
If we keep on playing like we did in the last 30 mins of that game, and if we can play Burnley every week and in all the cups and every round of the CL - we'll do the treble.

:lol:

mr_brighterside
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
still think we'll struggle to make the top 4 but a good result none the less.

Sanchez was good but from what I saw of MOTD AO-C looked pretty good too as did theo. we may well stay up this season.

GP
02-11-2014, 08:51 PM
You honestly think there are 4 teams better than us?

mr_brighterside
02-11-2014, 08:53 PM
You honestly think there are 40 teams better than us?

yep ;)

GP
02-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Then no offence, but you're a fucking idiot.

No offence.

Letters
02-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Chelsea are clearly better than us. City really should be.
Pretty much everyone else is all over the shop.
Southampton and West Ham have done very well but I can't see them sustaining it.
I'd be very surprised if we finish outside the top 4

GP
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Chelsea are clearly better than us. City really should be.
Pretty much everyone else is all over the shop.
Southampton and West Ham have done very well but I can't see them sustaining it.
I'd be very surprised if we finish outside the top 4

Alexis on his own could finish top 4.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
02-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Another top 4 finish :partytime:

ARightTouch
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Ok so we have we just beaten anderlecht (shouldnt have though) sunderland and burnley. Well done. Eases the frustration a bit but those who say we will get top 4 no problem are kidding themselves based on whats been served up on a whole so far this season. Swansea away followed by United and Dortmund at home will tell us if weve turned a corner or not, not anderlecht, sunderland or burnley.

Letters
02-11-2014, 10:05 PM
those who say we will get top 4 no problem are kidding themselves based on whats been served up on a whole so far this season.
We're top 4 now :shrug:
As wobbly as we've been who do you see being a real threat to a top 4 place?
Chelsea and City will be top 2 IMO, that leaves 2 spaces.
The obvious candidates, other than us, are Liverpool and Utd but both of those are looking rubbish too.
Southampton and West Ham won't last the distance (in a way it would be nice if they did, but I can't see it).

mr_brighterside
03-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Then no offence, but you're a fucking idiot.

No offence.

:rolleyes:

mr_brighterside
03-11-2014, 07:34 AM
We're top 4 now :shrug:
As wobbly as we've been who do you see being a real threat to a top 4 place?
Chelsea and City will be top 2 IMO, that leaves 2 spaces.
The obvious candidates, other than us, are Liverpool and Utd but both of those are looking rubbish too.
Southampton and West Ham won't last the distance (in a way it would be nice if they did, but I can't see it).

We've been helped by the equally poor form of others but we can't rely on that for the next 28 games. I do think we will struggle as usual for fourth unless we can start beating teams above 10th place more often.

Letters
03-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I guess the point is if we're above those sides now then what makes you think they'll all pick up form and we won't?

WMUG
03-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I do think we will struggle as usual for fourth unless we can start beating teams above 10th place more often.

Fuck me, I think you might be onto something here.

Letters
03-11-2014, 09:33 AM

MOTD just called, they'd like mr_b to be their next pundit...

Xhaka Can’t
03-11-2014, 09:58 AM
The league is so god awful, we'll probably finish third this year.

I hope this doesn't mean the bin dippers finish 7th and win the CL.

Letters
03-11-2014, 10:24 AM
The league is so god awful, we'll probably finish third this year.
Progress :bow:

Dein-machine
03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
We will win games against the pub teams with Wenger's new found wonder formation of 4-2-3-1. Having Arteta & Flamini as the 2 will certainly tighten us up against the dross of the league but it won't help against the better teams. Its a crying shame that we
need 2 DM's at home to Burnley & against a Sunderland team who had conceded 8 in their previous game but because of our lack of defensive quality & cover it is necessary.

Progress:haha:

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2014, 10:49 AM
We had 73% of the possession against Burnley in the first half and did fuck all with it. By the end of the game the possession had dropped to 68% over the 90 mins, meaning we must have had a fair bit less possession in the second half. And yet we played so much better. This isn't a mystery. If you are going to play on the break then you actually need the other team to have the ball at some point. It's not a crime if the other team gets a touch. Keeping the ball for the whole game while the opposition sticks 11 men in front of you means there's no space. Everything is easy to snuff out. That old saying about the opposition not being able to score if they don't have the ball is misleading. Sure, if you can hang on to it for the whole 90 mins then you'll probably end up 0-0 with the no fewer than 1K suicides in the crowd.

Dein-machine
03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
We had 73% of the possession against Burnley in the first half and did fuck all with it. By the end of the game the possession had dropped to 68% over the 90 mins, meaning we must have had a fair bit less possession in the second half. And yet we played so much better. This isn't a mystery. If you are going to play on the break then you actually need the other team to have the ball at some point. It's not a crime if the other team gets a touch. Keeping the ball for the whole game while the opposition sticks 11 men in front of you means there's no space. Everything is easy to snuff out. That old saying about the opposition not being able to score if they don't have the ball is misleading. Sure, if you can hang on to it for the whole 90 mins then you'll probably end up 0-0 with the no fewer than 1K suicides in the crowd.

Its the same old story but it seems to be so more noticeable this year. Last year the emergence of Rambo, Ozil signing, Jacks goal against Norwich sort of hid the cracks but this year with only Sanchez to shout about things are far clearer.
Most teams, inc Chelsea, will come to the Emirates & play on the break. This virtually guarantees us the possession stats before we start. Therefore Wumger only has to work out how to break down a well drilled defence. When you are playing against 8 defenders it is very difficult to move them around when you only have 4 attacking players - this is the issue with playing both Flamini & Arteta. If Sanchez wasn't on fire on Sat, where were we going to break them down or get beyond them.
It seems that our plan now is to break teams down with our monotonous passing then bringing a bit of pace & Podolski on for the final 25 minutes if the scores is still level. This has got us out of trouble in recent weeks ie Hull & Anderlecht but it won't do so against the better teams who may already have a decent lead & will pick us of with the quality of their counters.
I think the system is perfect for us to use in certain away games & those against top opposition where we should draw the opponents on to us for a change but Wumger doesn't ever seem to be able to switch tactics dependent on opponents.
If we continue with 4-2-3-1 at home we will drop an awful lot of points, god knows how we'd score if Sanchez gets injured. Bearing in mind we must be the worst set piece attackers in the league, our only chance is to score from open play & to do this regularly & to put games to bed we must have width & bodies in the final 3rd with the emphasis on getting the ball into this area far quicker than we are doing. You can't do that playing 2 DM's

Marc Overmars
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm sure we'll finish 3rd/4th but not without caution, this year we're not competing with no hopers like Everton and Spurs, it's Liverpool and United we have to keep at arms length and that's a big challenge because we'll have just as many ups and downs as them.

But of course, the fact we're talking about this same shit again and not a title challenge is rather disappointing.

selassie
03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm sure we'll finish 3rd/4th but not without caution, this year we're not competing with no hopers like Everton and Spurs, it's Liverpool and United we have to keep at arms length and that's a big challenge because we'll have just as many ups and downs as them.

But of course, the fact we're talking about this same shit again and not a title challenge is rather disappointing.

Yeah I think we will too. I think regardless of if it's a 3rd or 4th place finish it will be a dog fight, the usual scrap.

As it stands I think Man Utd pose more of a threat to 3rd place than Liverpool, but things can easily change....I never saw Liverpool challenging so strongly last season given they were 7th at Xmas. I think Southampton will be the dark horses and could be involved in the battle for top 4 right to the end, they are a very good side and are solid in pretty much every area of the team.

Dein-machine
03-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah I think we will too. I think regardless of if it's a 3rd or 4th place finish it will be a dog fight, the usual scrap.

As it stands I think Man Utd pose more of a threat to 3rd place than Liverpool, but things can easily change....I never saw Liverpool challenging so strongly last season given they were 7th at Xmas. I think Southampton will be the dark horses and could be involved in the battle for top 4 right to the end, they are a very good side and are solid in pretty much every area of the team.

I agree - good point about Southampton but don't say things like that infront of Letters & the Wengerites - they simply won't have it that a team can compete at the top through the quality of their manager as opposed to spending way beyond their means ala Chavs & Gypos. They are also the " can't get rid of Wenger incase the next blokes useless " brigade - how many Southampton fans were saying that about Poch leaving - now look what a managing from the younger generation can bring & he's done it after losing his star players.

Xhaka Can’t
03-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah. No one at all is saying that here. Literally nobody.

And I literally mean literally.

Dein-machine
03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah. No one at all is saying that here. Literally nobody.

And I literally mean literally.

What, literally!

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2014, 02:06 PM
There's no way a team like Southampton can compete at the top through the quality of their manager when you have teams like the chavs and the gypos spending way beyond their means. This is why it would be a terrible idea to get rid of Wenger, the next bloke might be useless.

KSE Comedy Club
03-11-2014, 02:08 PM
There's no way a team like Southampton can compete at the top through the quality of their manager when you have teams like the chavs and the gypos spending way beyond their means. This is why it would be a terrible idea to get rid of Wenger, the next bloke might be useless.
Yeh, but, no one at all is saying that here.

Literally no one.

Letters
03-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Letters & the Wengerites would be an awesome name for a 60's band tbf.

Xhaka Can’t
03-11-2014, 02:57 PM
The 60-61 tour was mired in controversy and recrimination.

Letters
03-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Swindin out!

(yes, I had to look that up)

Globalgunner
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM

That group would never chart beyond 4th place.

Letters
03-11-2014, 03:53 PM
:lol: But at least it would always get to the last 16 of the Eurovision Song Content.
And no further.

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2014, 03:56 PM

So you're leader of that as well? Guess I missed the vote.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
So you're leader of that as well? Guess I missed the vote.

Leaders are dealers in hope - Napoleon Bonaparte

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I agree - good point about Southampton but don't say things like that infront of Letters & the Wengerites - they simply won't have it that a team can compete at the top through the quality of their manager as opposed to spending way beyond their means ala Chavs & Gypos. They are also the " can't get rid of Wenger incase the next blokes useless " brigade - how many Southampton fans were saying that about Poch leaving - now look what a managing from the younger generation can bring & he's done it after losing his star players.

Spot on.

McNamara That Ghost...
03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Southampton won't stay up there but that doesn't mean what Koeman is doing can't be learned from.

Southampton's fixture list after the international break until February is a bit difficult.

Özim
03-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I listened to Wenger's interview, he was purring after that win, citing the quality and size of his squad etc etc. and very agreeable in his interview this time round. Wins against average teams really don't prove much, we won easily just as we should have, but so far our season has been pretty poor.

Wenger just isn't going to acknowledge or indeed solve any of our problems, that much is clear, he just believes in the players he has and just seems to think we're unlucky a lot of the time.

How we're still 4th is quite amazing, the league really is poor this year. Dortmund gave us a footballing lesson and are struggling in Germany and Anderlecht should have beaten us as well but we somehow got out of jail.......things have certainly been going in our favour despite our awful form.

Özim
03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Southampton won't stay up there but that doesn't mean what Koeman is doing can't be learned from.

Southampton's fixture list after the international break until February is a bit difficult.

Probably not no, they don't have the squad, considering the players they lost though he's doing a miraculous job, they lost half of their first team and pretty much all of their best players yet somehow they are flying high and playing great football.

Letters
03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I listened to Wenger's interview, he was purring after that win, citing the quality and size of his squad etc etc. and very agreeable in his interview this time round. Wins against average teams really don't prove much, we won easily just as we should have, but so far our season has been pretty poor.

Wenger just isn't going to acknowledge or indeed solve any of our problems, that much is clear, he just believes in the players he has and just seems to think we're unlucky a lot of the time.

How we're still 4th is quite amazing, the league really is poor this year. Dortmund gave us a footballing lesson and are struggling in Germany and Anderlecht should have beaten us as well but we somehow got out of jail.......things have certainly been going in our favour despite our awful form.
Cheer up! We might lose the next one.

Shaqiri Is Boss
03-11-2014, 06:17 PM

We were top at Christmas.

Jointly with your goodselves.

But don't worry. We won't be a threat for 3rd. Or 4th. Or 5th....

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2014, 06:21 PM
We were top at Christmas.

Jointly with your goodselves.

But don't worry. We won't be a threat for 3rd. Or 4th. Or 5th....

7th, top, why so nitpicky?

mr_brighterside
03-11-2014, 06:39 PM

:tiphat:

glad to of been of service

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Excellent post.

A few good results and fans will start singing his praises again, they're fickle after all. Luckily some of us aren't like that and we're consistent.

Marc Overmars
03-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Excellent post.

A few good results and fans will start singing his praises again, they're fickle after all. Luckily some of us aren't like that and we're consistent.

Being happy with a win/performance doesn't equate to absolving Wenger or ignoring the issues we all know for a fact the team has. Jesus Christ, what the hell happened to you, every post you make now is some sort of know-it-all bile.

You're right about one thing though, fans are definitely fickle...

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2987

Thank you Wenger out, your union served me well over the past few years, but I'm officially out. This is a new era. The Arsenal are coming.

fakeyank
03-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Being happy with a win/performance doesn't equate to absolving Wenger or ignoring the issues we all know for a fact the team has. Jesus Christ, what the hell happened to you, every post you make now is some sort of know-it-all bile.

You're right about one thing though, fans are definitely fickle...

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2987

Dayum! Why gotta go all girlfriend mode on him and bring up history? Thats a low blow..

Marc Overmars
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Just found the fickle comment amusing really. We're all guilty of it in one way or another, so there's no need to be an arse about it and place yourself on a pedestal as some all knowing super fan.

Niall_Quinn
03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Just found the fickle comment amusing really. We're all guilty of it in one way or another, so there's no need to be an arse about it and place yourself on a pedestal as some all knowing super fan.

BEEEATCH! :sulk:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
03-11-2014, 09:19 PM

We were laughed at for so many years on here for saying it was all wenger's fault, so now it's clear it is, we have every right to celebrate.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
03-11-2014, 09:30 PM
If there are several dipstick managerial incumbents in the waiting once Wenger is out the door then I'll stick with Wenger. Not even sure what the debate even is? If the prospective manager is resoundingly better or it is not clear as day that he wouldn't be any worse then perhaps he should be a consideration..... But let's not have average Joe following him, lest we be looking for somebody else again real soon.

Koeman has impressed but I am willing to bet anybody on this forum any amount of money (that a lowly poorboy like myself can afford) that Southampton will not make top 4. Feel free to earmark and dig this post out at May too. They won't finish top 4, just as Everton didn't last season and just as Spurs or Everton won't this season.

The league has been pretty dire this season which is why we ourselves are 4th though isn't that precisely why (like last season) we should be making the most of it? Teams taking ages to get their shi*together? If we ever have a squad able to contest the league again you can just be sure the other lot will get their houses in order.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
We were laughed at for so many years on here for saying it was all wenger's fault, so now it's clear it is, we have every right to celebrate.

I remember the day when you were released from prison and the world media got to see your face after 25 years of incarceration

There was no spite or recrimination, you just wanted unification

Or am I getting you confused with someone?

Globalgunner
04-11-2014, 02:18 PM
I remember the day when you were released from prison and the world media got to see your face after 25 years of incarceration

There was no spite or recrimination, you just wanted unification

Or am I getting you confused with someone?

Give it a rest will you. Wenger will still have a job even if you didn't leap up every time to defend him.
You on the other hand may not have a life

The Emirates Gallactico
04-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Koeman has impressed but I am willing to bet anybody on this forum any amount of money (that a lowly poorboy like myself can afford) that Southampton will not make top 4. Feel free to earmark and dig this post out at May too. They won't finish top 4, just as Everton didn't last season and just as Spurs or Everton won't this season.

Koeman is a decent manager but he's all flavour of the month like Laudrep, Martinez and even Coyle were at one point.

He had terrible spells at both Valencia and AZ previously so I imagine it won't be that long before we see Southampton start going backwards, though they might still make top four given how abject us, Liverpool and Utd have been at times this season.

As for Wenger replacements it can't be anyone other than Klopp. He's tailored made for us - similar philosophy, right age and a dominant personality to take control of the entire club. And he always speaks very highly of us and Wenger.

Eventually he's going to get sick of the lopsided nature of the Bundesliga with Bayern able to poach their best players next summer (with Reus up next) and decide to call it quits. A hefty pay package should also entice him as well as basically the opportunity to go into to go into a club which has the resources to dominate everything.

You won't get the Moyes BS of the players not respecting him either because he's an unknown quantity who hasn't won anything either. Tbh, I'd much rather stick with Wenger until we can be certain of getting Klopp rather than jump the gun for a lesser manager. For all of Wenger's issues, we're hardly in free fall right now - just not where we ideally hope to be.

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes - Klopp for me. If he has been able to give Bayern a good run for their money over recent years with a comparatively small budget & the fact that they regularly nick his best players - would be good to see what he could do with some real money to spend. I like his high tempo pressing football & think it is ideally suited to the P.L. - He will struggle to replace Lewandowski's goals & they will lose games this year due to this but I think he is the ideal choice for us. Trouble is we may not be such an attractive proposition in a few years time if Dot Cotton continues to not spend in areas of desperate need.

Xhaka Can’t
04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
The last point is entirely wrong. With the resources at the disposal of the Club, assuming they continue to be made available, we are and will be an incredibly attractive proposition for the world's top managers.

And that is before we even begin to consider how well we remunerated the post.

fakeyank
04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Koeman is a decent manager but he's all flavour of the month like Laudrep, Martinez and even Coyle were at one point.

He had terrible spells at both Valencia and AZ previously so I imagine it won't be that long before we see Southampton start going backwards, though they might still make top four given how abject us, Liverpool and Utd have been at times this season.

As for Wenger replacements it can't be anyone other than Klopp. He's tailored made for us - similar philosophy, right age and a dominant personality to take control of the entire club. And he always speaks very highly of us and Wenger.

Eventually he's going to get sick of the lopsided nature of the Bundesliga with Bayern able to poach their best players next summer (with Reus up next) and decide to call it quits. A hefty pay package should also entice him as well as basically the opportunity to go into to go into a club which has the resources to dominate everything.

You won't get the Moyes BS of the players not respecting him either because he's an unknown quantity who hasn't won anything either. Tbh, I'd much rather stick with Wenger until we can be certain of getting Klopp rather than jump the gun for a lesser manager. For all of Wenger's issues, we're hardly in free fall right now - just not where we ideally hope to be.

Who heard about Wenger before he joined us? Who knew about Klopp before he joined Dortmund? Ditto for Simeone before Athletico.. I am all for Klopp, but I am all for giving a promising manager the reigns of the club as well. I like Martinez and I really do think that if he is given our resources, he will do really well!

milla
04-11-2014, 03:50 PM
I like Maritnez, but definitely prefer Klopp. The latter is proven in both domestic and Europe competitions. :coffee:

The Emirates Gallactico
04-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Who heard about Wenger before he joined us? Who knew about Klopp before he joined Dortmund? Ditto for Simeone before Athletico.. I am all for Klopp, but I am all for giving a promising manager the reigns of the club as well. I like Martinez and I really do think that if he is given our resources, he will do really well!

Not many, but you have to put that in the context of football at time which was pre mass internet forums/wikipedia/youtube/twitter era when football, especially in other places outside of England, was less covered and less well known. Simeone would have been considered "unknown" then. If you look at Wenger's actual record prior to joining Arsenal it was actually half decent - he did very well at Monaco.

Martinez has all the same flaws as Wenger except without some of the benefits. He's unable to sort out a defence, has little in the way of a plan B and isn't good with squad management.

The problem with going for a Martinez now is that we may end up being stuck with him when Klopp does actually become available at which point he may end up going to Man Utd (after Van Genius gets the boot) essentially making him unattainable. Keep Wenger until Klopp becomes available which I suspect will be close to when Wenger's contract runs out (i.e. two years).

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
You on the other hand may not have a life

I can't work out if that's an insult or a threat

I still find it funny that people think I'm pro Wenger, my views are fluid ultimately I'm consistent in my view that I don't think he can win major titles with us anymore. But I'm not overly convinced anyone can in the world of money dominated football, could we be doing better? Yes do I think Chelsea would win the league this season no matter who was in charge? Also yes.

It's not give Wenger a break, I just find a lot of the anger against him petulant.

I support the club and want the team to win, and I find the idea of wanting the team to loose in the vein hope of what I see as change for changes sake counter-intuitive

Come the end of the season no trophies, no top four...I will once again join the ranks of those demanding he lose his job. If not I'm patient enough to wait until 2017

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't want someone like Klopp, for me the worst aspect of Wenger as a manager is that he defers to no one and that he runs the football side of the club completely by himself. I cannot see someone like Klopp being any different (that and I think his Borussia Dortmund team have been seriously found out now in the Bundesliga).
I don't actually think we need a big name, we need someone with big, fresh ideas and can work as the head of a large coaching team. I'd be happier with Steve Bould, or this Paul Clement guy from Real Madrid we've been linked with.

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 04:54 PM

I still find it funny that people think I'm pro Wenger, my views are fluid ultimately I'm consistent in my view that I don't think he can win major titles with us anymore. But I'm not overly convinced anyone can in the world of money dominated football, could we be doing better? Yes do I think Chelsea would win the league this season no matter who was in charge? Also yes.

It's not give Wenger a break, I just find a lot of the anger against him petulant.

I support the club and want the team to win, and I find the idea of wanting the team to loose in the vein hope of what I see as change for changes sake counter-intuitive

Come the end of the season no trophies, no top four...I will once again join the ranks of those demanding he lose his job. If not I'm patient enough to wait until 2017

I see where your coming from but there's a part of me that wonders how close we may have got over recent years, especially last, if we had had a manager who was far more active in buying quality in positions of need & getting rid of deadwood that we seem to keep around hoping one day they'll come good. The last time Utd won the league was an awful season. United's team was poor & all the money in the world couldn't help the Chavs or Gypos beat them. Last year a manager aware that long term injuries to Rambo & Walcott at Xmas would mean our goals drying up, would surely have bought in a goalscorer or 2 in Jan window when given a realistic chance of winning the title.
To me the comfort of 4th & C.L. football is what Wenger is all about & the problem is that the board are more than happy with that aswell.

Globalgunner
04-11-2014, 04:58 PM

You say you are not pro-Wenger but you manage to work yourself in a frenzy whenever someone even hints he might not be doing a good job. Let some criticism of Wenger on these pages pass over your head and then Ill know you dont genuflect respectfully before his life size portrait each morning and whisper several prayers for his safety before you sleep at night.

He is after all a football manager Im sure even his missus accepts criticism of him goes with the territory

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 05:09 PM
The last point is entirely wrong. With the resources at the disposal of the Club, assuming they continue to be made available, we are and will be an incredibly attractive proposition for the world's top managers.

And that is before we even begin to consider how well we remunerated the post.

They may want to pit their wits against the best in the Champions League - we might not be there if our manager can't find a way to compete against the better sides & to stop dropping points to pub teams.

fakeyank
04-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Not many, but you have to put that in the context of football at time which was pre mass internet forums/wikipedia/youtube/twitter era when football, especially in other places outside of England, was less covered and less well known. Simeone would have been considered "unknown" then. If you look at Wenger's actual record prior to joining Arsenal it was actually half decent - he did very well at Monaco.

Martinez has all the same flaws as Wenger except without some of the benefits. He's unable to sort out a defence, has little in the way of a plan B and isn't good with squad management.

The problem with going for a Martinez now is that we may end up being stuck with him when Klopp does actually become available at which point he may end up going to Man Utd (after Van Genius gets the boot) essentially making him unattainable. Keep Wenger until Klopp becomes available which I suspect will be close to when Wenger's contract runs out (i.e. two years).

Dont necessarily agree about Martinez not having a Plan B. He makes sound substitutions and makes tactical changes which make sense and have brought success. Case in point being moving Lukaku down the right against us last season. That was a masterstroke and he ran riot against the left side of our defense. When was the last time Wenger did something like that? The thing that appeals to me most about Martinez is that he took a David Moyes team which played boring dull football and made it exciting within one season.

The thing is... I would love for us to win trophies and I think Martinez can possibly do that (or at least thats my opinion). What I am fairly certain of is the fact that he will make us a good team to watch. We will play good football, play players in their best positions and actually give a F*** about the shirt. Thats all I ask really..

As for the last part of your post about waiting for Wenger's two years to be over for us to get Klopp.. I dont even want to think about it. First, because Wenger's time was up 5 seasons back... everyday is past his sell by date. He needs to go yesterday! Second, what are the chances that when Wenger's 2 years are up that Madrid or Bayern or Chelsea are not looking for a manager? So we'd end of wasting 2 years waiting for a manager who does not end up joining us!

Master Splinter
04-11-2014, 05:22 PM
I f****** hate players who don't give a f*** about their shirts. Shirts are important attire. Please increase your appreciation of the shirt.

PS: you should get your head around the fact that Wenger will be here for at least the remainder of his contract. Crying and ranting and banging your hands on your virtual cot will not alter this situation, which is what Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie is fruitlessly trying to express through a series of level-headed, easy-to-understand posts.

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Dont necessarily agree about Martinez not having a Plan B. He makes sound substitutions and makes tactical changes which make sense and have brought success. Case in point being moving Lukaku down the right against us last season. That was a masterstroke and he ran riot against the left side of our defense. When was the last time Wenger did something like that? The thing that appeals to me most about Martinez is that he took a David Moyes team which played boring dull football and made it exciting within one season.

The thing is... I would love for us to win trophies and I think Martinez can possibly do that (or at least thats my opinion). What I am fairly certain of is the fact that he will make us a good team to watch. We will play good football, play players in their best positions and actually give a F*** about the shirt. Thats all I ask really..

As for the last part of your post about waiting for Wenger's two years to be over for us to get Klopp.. I dont even want to think about it. First, because Wenger's time was up 5 seasons back... everyday is past his sell by date. He needs to go yesterday! Second, what are the chances that when Wenger's 2 years are up that Madrid or Bayern or Chelsea are not looking for a manager? So we'd end of wasting 2 years waiting for a manager who does not end up joining us!

I think one of Bayern, Madrid or Chelsea should take Wenger of us - let see how they like it winning fuck all for 10 years, regularly selling their captains and best players & signing the likes of Khalstrom, Flamini & Sonogo.
Ofcourse this woudln't happen at any of these clubs because their owners wouldn't allow it - ambition, its a real fucker.

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 05:33 PM
I f****** hate players who don't give a f*** about their shirts. Shirts are important attire. Please increase your appreciation of the shirt.

PS: you should get your head around the fact that Wenger will be here for at least the remainder of his contract. Crying and ranting and banging your hands on your virtual cot will not alter this situation, which is what Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie is fruitlessly trying to express through a series of level-headed, easy-to-understand posts.

Herbert Chapman's Zombie - Level Headed :haha:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 05:35 PM
You say you are not pro-Wenger but you manage to work yourself in a frenzy whenever someone even hints he might not be doing a good job. Let some criticism of Wenger on these pages pass over your head and then Ill know you dont genuflect respectfully before his life size portrait each morning and whisper several prayers for his safety before you sleep at night.

He is after all a football manager Im sure even his missus accepts criticism of him goes with the territory

I don't actually really disagree with most of your criticisms of him, I just find you guys so easy to wind up because you get your knickers in a twist about the guy.

The football at the moment is pretty dire, with only Sanchez seemingly bothering

The injury crisis looms on season after season, which by default is the managers fault because either he is buying injury prone players or the players are being beasted on the training ground.

Not buying another defender seems negligent at best

But fundamentally I ask myself when invariably l'ouisseau retires will the club in terms of infrastructure be in a shambles, no actually a new manager will have for me an excellent foundation on which to build.
If that new manager comes in 2015 great, if its 2017 so be it but I think it would be totally disingenuous to think that Wenger hasn't had any influence over said infrastructure

Where as you Wenger out guys seem to be in a state of perpetual panic

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Herbert Chapman's Zombie - Level Headed :haha:

Don't laugh at my level head

Someone hit me with a shovel

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't actually really disagree with most of your criticisms of him, I just find you guys so easy to wind up because you get your knickers in a twist about the guy.

The football at the moment is pretty dire, with only Sanchez seemingly bothering

The injury crisis looms on season after season, which by default is the managers fault because either he is buying injury prone players or the players are being beasted on the training ground.

Not buying another defender seems negligent at best

But fundamentally I ask myself when invariably l'ouisseau retires will the club in terms of players be in a shambles, no actually a new manager will have for me an excellent foundation on which to build. If that new manager comes in 2015 great, if its 2017 so be it

Where as you Wenger out guys seem to be in a state of perpetual panic

I have been perpetually panicking for for the last decade.

fakeyank
04-11-2014, 05:58 PM

I understand HCZ's point but what others are trying to point out is that something wrong is happening NOW. So you can either shut up and take it up the wrong end or you could cry about it. Most likely nothing is going to happen for another 2 years but that doesnt mean you cant try. I prefer to make noise and cry about it.

As for the shirt smart ass comment.. bravo! That was original.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 06:13 PM

Brilliant post.

Globalgunner
04-11-2014, 06:30 PM

in 2 years time I'll gladly take Pep or Carlo. Mourinho can go to the Spuds, they need a new manager every 6 months.

Xhaka Can’t
04-11-2014, 06:34 PM
They may want to pit their wits against the best in the Champions League - we might not be there if our manager can't find a way to compete against the better sides & to stop dropping points to pub teams.
Say we don't qualify, a new top name will still be easy to get - if the parasitic bastards running our club want a top name. We have the resources and the new guy has an opportunity to easily look good whike coining it in.

But that scenario ain't happening. We are playing like a steaming pile of turd. I want to pour acid in my eyes when I watch us play. And yet, if we don't finish 4th this year it is because we will be third.

The standard in the EPL is abysmal. We are and always will qualify for the CL with Wenger.

Always. Always. Always.

And in case I have left any doubt. I don't see that as a good thing.

Dein-machine
04-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Say we don't qualify, a new top name will still be easy to get - if the parasitic bastards running our club want a top name. We have the resources and the new guy has an opportunity to easily look good whike coining it in.

But that scenario ain't happening. We are playing like a steaming pile of turd. I want to pour acid in my eyes when I watch us play. And yet, if we don't finish 4th this year it is because we will be third.

The standard in the EPL is abysmal. We are and always will qualify for the CL with Wenger.

Always. Always. Always.

After Wengers early success we went through quite a few years thinking that surely he would put things right & they we'd have a crack at the league. During these years 3rd or 4th place was seen as a disappointment. Nowadays it seems as though finishing 4th is our realistic goal every year with the hope of a cup run. We seem to have a continuos struggle for 4th now - if this trait of lack of ambition continues under Wenger we will come unstuck in the next few years.
If it hadn't been for the calamity of Moyes last year we would have been playing in the Europa cup this Thursday.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Always. Always. Always.

Between 2003 and 2014 champions league qualification was vital to service our debt and leave us on a good financial footing

Now it is not vital and if you are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich ,Barcelona, Chelsea, Man City, PSG you can probably have one poor season and qualify for Champions League next season. But the financial disparity means that you miss out one season it will probably be many years until you qualify again. So if Wenger finishes third/fourth in 2015, makes it more likely he will qualify 2016 and 2017. And that lays the ground for a new manager to have a meaningful crack at it.