McNamara That Ghost...
04-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Whoops.

Seaman's Ponytail
04-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Worse than the 4-4 with the Barcodes the other year tbf

selassie
04-11-2014, 09:41 PM
This team makes us the laughing stock at least once a season. Last 20 mins were HORRIBLE, an abomination.

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Fucking awful, I'm disgusted at that.

Ralpheroo72
04-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Glad I had the foresight to miss that steaming pile of horse shit. Utter shambles. Alexis must be wishing his phone was switched off when Wenger rang in July.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 09:44 PM
And people like herbert chapman still want wenger here :lol:

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Saw wenger storming off down the tunnel, it's your fucking team you dick!

Marc Overmars
We lost all the intensity from our game after conceding the first and couldn't be bothered to raise it again. Unprofessional, complacent, call it what you will, but that was probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen in a football match let alone an Arsenal game.

Embarrassed twice by CL fodder. Although maybe we shouldn't be too surprised given we are also fodder for this competition.

Disgusting.

Gooner23
Would rather we drop into Europa now, might stand a chance of getting further than last 16.

Niall_Quinn
Wenger found the perfect way to disrupt a decent first half performance and a particularly good display from Alexis. Arteta's injury was key. We were totally dominant and there was zero need to bring on a suppermassive black hole of joy sucking negativity in the shape of Flamini. After that the midfield was gone and Anderlecht were back in the match. Then our pathetic defence did the rest. The reason numbing subs of Rosicky and Pods for Ox and Welbeck finished off even the chance of a fluke, the threat of the first half was completely destroyed. Theo sat it out for whatever stupid reason. This would have been an ideal opportunity for him if only we had a sane manager (or any type of manager to be fair).

McNamara That Ghost...

Stop it.

Globalgunner
04-11-2014, 09:46 PM
we`ve seen this shit time and time again and still........"Keep Wenger because the next guy could be worse"....Can you imagine what Bayern or Real could do to this team. With Monreal at CB and Artemini in chaos mode at DM

Give it up Wumger, Please, its becoming embarrassing.

fakeyank
04-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Wenger is the main man

Letters
04-11-2014, 09:49 PM
:haha:

Well...you can't say it was boring.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Can people honestly sit there with a straight face and tell us no-one can do a better job than wenger?

KSE Comedy Club
04-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Merson :bow:

Calling wenger tactically clueless

Letters
04-11-2014, 09:51 PM
We lost all the intensity from our game after conceding the first and couldn't be bothered to raise it again. Unprofessional, complacent, call it what you will, but that was probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen in a football match let alone an Arsenal game.

We don't have a captain. Haven't had for years.
When things start to go wrong there is no-one out there to get us going again.

selassie
04-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Would rather we drop into Europa now, might stand a chance of getting further than last 16.

Honestly thats probably our level now. We wont beat any of the group winners and we know it. Im not going to turn this into a "Wenger" out debate but we have some deep rooted issues at this club, these collapses are quite common and quite frankly its a disgrace.

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Merson :bow:

Calling wenger tactically clueless

Well they both are tbh.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
With a quality DM we'd be able to neutralise opposition attacks, and not concede 3 fucking goals at home.

fakeyank
04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Can people honestly sit there with a straight face and tell us no-one can do a better job than wenger?

There is no one better than Wenger. For 2.5 years, you have no choice but to shut up and crawl into your hole.

Niall_Quinn
04-11-2014, 09:54 PM
What the fuck are they talking about in the studio? Haven't these stupid cunts ever watched us before? Whenever we drop the intensity we struggle. We needed to up the effort, not slack off. This was Anderlecht we were playing, not Madrid.

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 09:55 PM

We would struggle against those sides too! As proven by the fact we left a Europa league quality team (anderlect) back from 3-0 down to 3-3.

I can see it now: "sp*rs knock Arsenal out of Europa league"

:sick:

Niall_Quinn
04-11-2014, 09:56 PM
They're all too scared to even mention Wenger's name.

Munchies
Everything Sanchez does is overshadowed by fucking useless cunts

that volley against City then not defending the corner.

and now this

Ramsey has looked poor aswell this whole season so far

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie

Herbert Chapman died in 1934 I doubt he wants anything

Plus my argument which I consistently make and you even more consistently ignore is that it doesn't really matter what either of us wants, Unless death takes him first Wenger is with us until 2017.

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 09:57 PM
What the fuck are they talking about in the studio? Haven't these stupid cunts ever watched us before? Whenever we drop the intensity we struggle. We needed to up the effort, not slack off. This was Anderlecht we were playing, not Madrid.

There was hardly any tonight, even less than there was against burnley

selassie
04-11-2014, 09:58 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/25/article-2008165-0B93B02600000578-582_634x402.jpg

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 09:58 PM
There is no one better than Wenger. For 2.5 years, you have no choice but to shut up and crawl into your hole.

Sorry but that isn't an option. I and many love this club too much to just sit back and accept mediocrity for 2.5 years. We will speak up and let them know it's not acceptable.

Master Splinter
04-11-2014, 09:59 PM
We were playing quite well again. Some players building up their confidence, gaining some momentum, looking towards a rout and easy qualification.

Then they get an offside goal.

Rather than respond by continuing to create chances and finish them off, we instead lose all composure and start playing like clowns.

Flamini is a threat to our team every time he plays. But it's Wenger's fault for playing a never-was continually instead of playing to our strengths by attacking or adapting the midfield slightly so we can maintain some semblance of flow to our game.

You can't blame Monreal either for not convincing at centre-back because it's an alien position to him. Mertesacker though is losing too many headers and needs to sharpen his game up.

Instead of praising more electric play and two superb goals by Sanchez and Oxlade and enjoying a simple win, we are somehow reduced to complaining about idiocy from the manager and a lack of smarts from easily-shaken players.

Just completely unnecessary.

And Flamini will be starting our next game too, in which Monreal will continue to be deployed in a role completely unsuited to him. Wenger is beyond doubt a psychopath.

Still, to finish on a positive note, we have Alexis Sanchez. Oxlade is playing well. Chambers is really good. And Theo is kind of back.

Which is still negated by the negativity of WUMger. So I'll have to end on a negative after all. FFS. FML. :ilt:

Letters
04-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry but that isn't an option. I and many love this club too much to just sit back and accept mediocrity for 2.5 years. We will speak up and let them know it's not acceptable.

Yeah! You keep posting about it on an Internet forum about 20 people read.
That'll show 'em!
Viva la revolution!

Munchies
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1oRxhHIUAANBNw.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1oRxsjIQAIY7Mi.jpg

Piers :bow: :lol:

Kompany? Rather have Monreal

Shaqiri Is Boss
That'll show 'em!
Viva la revolution!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 10:03 PM
That'll show 'em!
Viva la revolution!

I go to wenger out marches before games, and am a member of BSM, you fucking pillock

Marc Overmars
04-11-2014, 10:04 PM
On the first goal I can't remember who it was, maybe Oxlade, who let the runner from midfield almost jog past him. At that point you knew they had mentally gone. Fucking knew it. But I at least thought they might be stubborn enough to see it out, but there you go.

There's a reason why no one thinks we're worth a dime, and we proved it again tonight.

Munchies
04-11-2014, 10:04 PM
I go to wenger out marches before games, and am a member of BSM, you fucking pillock

oooooo

:popcorn:

Letters
04-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Oh, well if you're a member of the British School of Motoring then that changes everything.
You go, girlfriend.
*clicky finger thing*

Globalgunner
04-11-2014, 10:07 PM
What worries me most of all is the renowned mental fragility of Wengers teams. Who do we play next?. We sometimes collapse after a shocker like this. I just pray we don't go on a free-fall for the next six games or so

Marc Overmars
04-11-2014, 10:08 PM
What worries me most of all is the renowned mental fragility of Wengers teams. Who do we play next?. We sometimes collapse after a shocker like this. I just pray we don't go on a free-fall for the next six games or so

How can we collapse when nothing was built in the first place?

This season has been absolutely rotten from a performance stand point.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 10:09 PM
oooooo

:popcorn:

Lol letters is a lost cause, we know that.

I'm sure many have seen this banner, the guys that made it are close friends of mine

http://www.matchdayapp.com/wp-content/uploads/Arsene-Wenger-Thanks-For-The-Memories-300x199.jpg

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Swansea away :doh:

topgun
04-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Still in work,can't believe we threw away a three goal lead at home against CL cannon fodder, even by Wenger standards this has to be classed as GROSS F=====G INCOMPETANCE.

Niall_Quinn
04-11-2014, 10:18 PM
I don't buy the excuse the players were frail. We were handily winning that match and looked like we could score a bag full. But when you have a manager that pumps poison gas onto the pitch your performance is going to get a bit chaotic. Why does he always go conservative when we grab a lead? How many leads does he need to see slip away before it dawns we are better off playing to our strengths. That's - PACE and MOVEMENT btw Arsene, the shit you won stuff with, remember? Not tip and tap and square and back.

Globalgunner
04-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Swansea away :doh:
Could be worse. I was afraid it was the United game. Trust us to give Van Genius and his boys a much needed pick me up. On to the next game...

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Could be worse. I was afraid it was the United game. Trust us to give Van Genius and his boys a much needed pick me up. On to the next game...

Well moyes was doing badly and we gifted him a win, I'm sure we'll do the same for the genius.

Xhaka Can’t
04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Honestly thats probably our level now. We wont beat any of the group winners and we know it. Im not going to turn this into a "Wenger" out debate but we have some deep rooted issues at this club, these collapses are quite common and quite frankly its a disgrace.

You cannot separate Wenger from these collapses. He is the cause of them.

Anderlecht. We were 3-0 up against Anderlecht at home.

This is right up there with last season at Chelsea and Liverpool.

It just isn't worth feeling anything about Arsenal any more.

Letters
04-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Well moyes was doing badly and we gifted him a win, I'm sure we'll do the same for the genius.

It's at home so we'll probably struggle our way to a draw.
As for this weekend...oh, who knows any more?!

Penguin
04-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Are we signing mentally weak players? No, plenty of them have left us, won titles and become key players for other clubs. Generations of players have come and gone and it's always the same problems for us.

If I was Wenger I would have felt ashamed at this kind of bottle job the FIRST time it happened, and make sure it never happens again. The fact that we see this kind of shit happen every fucking season is embarrassing and is proof that Wenger doesn't know what he's doing.

rodders
04-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Time Wenger and board saw that he is well past his sell by date. Arsenal have on paper the best team in years yet same old problems continue. As usual Wenger can't or won't see it.

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 10:30 PM
It's at home so we'll probably struggle our way to a draw.
As for this weekend...oh, who knows any more?!

Ah yes, miss adzzz mentioned about that in a couple of weeks :lol:

The weekend? Well that could easily be a draw, or a an easy loss, or it could be one where we snatch a win. I don't know anymore!!! :upset:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-11-2014, 10:31 PM
So when Sanchez gets disillusioned about our lack of haste in challenging for things and wants out, will he be a cun*?

Letters
04-11-2014, 10:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eIDu6Aw-8

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-11-2014, 10:33 PM

First of all they don't care what you think, with fan shareholding rapidly going future club AGM's will be held in the nearby Bella Italia where Kroenke and Usmanov scowl at each other over a cappuccino

Also I love your optimism, what makes you so certain the mediocrity ends with Wenger, what makes you think Blue Chips Keswick, Son of Kroenke and Ivan Gazidis are suddenly going to become more interventionist and stop the next guy from blundering around in the dark.

adzzzbatch
04-11-2014, 10:35 PM
So when Sanchez gets disillusioned about our lack of haste in challenging for things and wants out, will he be a cun*?

Lets be honest he is carrying this team atm, no wonder we're getting so many comparisons with Liverpool and suarez.

I hope the club, Arsenal can keep him onside, if not who could blame him for wanting out? It's all about the way he does it.

Niall_Quinn
04-11-2014, 10:45 PM

If he joins the stinking chavs or gypos or the scum at utd then sure, why wouldn't we? But if he went abroad then good luck to him. He's way too good for us. Such a fucking shame. He must have been buzzing at HT.

On a positive note, we surely have to start entertaining the idea the Invincibles are not just the best football team in history but the best team in any sport ever, in the universe. Going a whole season unbeaten - with Wenger in charge!

Xhaka Can’t
04-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Alexis owes this Club nothing. He can go wherever and we'd have no business crying about it.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
04-11-2014, 10:57 PM
First of all they don't care what you think, with fan shareholding rapidly going future club AGM's will be held in the nearby Bella Italia where Kroenke and Usmanov scowl at each other over a cappuccino

:lol:

Also I love your optimism, what makes you so certain the mediocrity ends with Wenger, what makes you think Blue Chips Keswick, Son of Kroenke and Ivan Gazidis are suddenly going to become more interventionist and stop the next guy from blundering around in the dark.

Wenger is the last of a dying breed i.e. top down manager that controls every aspect of the club. The new generation of managers are flatter and control just aspects relating to the team, hence why many are called 'head coach' nowadays, for example.

Gazidis won't get in a guy that he can't control. He's probably had enough of wenger just like most of us. I remember when Ivan came out with that wonderful statement last summer about how we were going to spend but he ended up looking like a twat for most of it because wenger was a stubborn tight arse. Luckily they managed to squeeze in Ozil to take the heat off. Wenger is making Gazidis look back and Ivan won't be fond of that.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't like it if he went to one of those but he wouldn't be a cun* to me (though I realise that is pretty much just an arbitrary bit of slagging off these days). He's not an Arsenal fan that has fulfilled his dream, he is a serious professional desperate to win and he would be wise to periodically evaluate his own ambitions against that of his current club.

RomfordPele
04-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Wenger really has plunged to new depths of idiocy and incompetence this season. Everything about tonight was complacent, half-baked and cock-eyed.

Sad thing is I've come to expect it from us these days. Nothing surprises me any more. Two and a half more years? That is really depressing!

Marc Overmars
04-11-2014, 11:38 PM
We don't have a captain. Haven't had for years.
When things start to go wrong there is no-one out there to get us going again.

Yeah I agree. I honestly don't know who is officially the captain, BFG or Arteta??? The fact not a single player out there spotted the danger and tried to rally the troops tells you everything you need to know about the make up and personality of the team. Even BFG has admitted he's struggled for motivation this season, I'm sure having no competition for his place has contributed to that.

Wenger just doesn't have a grasp on things anymore and it's scary how many basic fundamentals we lack.

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2014, 12:16 AM
"For winning the group, you can say that's nearly impossible now," conceded the Frenchman, who was highly critical of his team's defending.

"The first Anderlecht goal was offside but defensively our performance was not good enough to do it.

"At 3-0 we thought the job was done and it was a combination of switching off and fatigue as well.

"In the Champions League you need to be at the mental level or you get punished and certainly we were not."

Asked whether he planned to strengthen his defence in the January transfer window, Wenger said: "Honestly it's not the worry tonight.

"We just came out of two clean sheets and maybe thought we had got the job done at 3-0."

Fatigue? Really?

Marc Overmars
05-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Fatigue. :lol:

Then use other players, instead of your favourites.

Munchies
05-11-2014, 01:01 AM
how about making shit useless subs?

does that not come into it Wenget?

topgun
05-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Wenger just doesn't have a grasp on things anymore and it's scary how many basic fundamentals we lack.

Exactly we can't even get the basics right so what hope is there really,oh well that's the first of this seasons capitulations out of the way.

Özil's Panoramic View
05-11-2014, 01:50 AM
What fatigue is the senile old duffer referring to?

It's never his fault, eh? Always some vague intangible that has to carry the can.

mr_brighterside
05-11-2014, 07:13 AM
he should be fired. twice.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 07:17 AM
What fatigue is the senile old duffer referring to?

It's never his fault, eh? Always some vague intangible that has to carry the can.

Ha fatigue

Fatigue caused by failing to rotate your squad

And yet no substitutions until we are at 3-2

What is worrying about l'ouisseau is that he doesn't seem to be able to react to what is going on on the pitch his team sheet and substitutions are decided well in advance.

rodders
05-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Even if you accept the fatigue twoddle why is it that this sort of thing only seems to affect Arsenal?

Letters
05-11-2014, 07:37 AM
What is worrying about l'ouisseau is that he doesn't seem to be able to react to what is going on on the pitch his team sheet and substitutions are decided well in advance.
The thing is, when had a proper captain he would make sure the team responds to setbacks.
If a team is winning 3-0 they're clearly much better than the opposition.
If the other side get a goal back then the team need to respond, step up. A strong captain helps that happen.
Right now the slightest setback and we're all over the shop.

Penguin
05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Asked whether he planned to strengthen his defence in the January transfer window, Wenger said: "Honestly it's not the worry tonight.

"We just came out of two clean sheets and maybe thought we had got the job done at 3-0."
Our defence was 'not the worry' after conceding 3 goals in 30 minutes? Really? :lol:

Oh well, we got two (fortunate) clean sheets against Sunderland and Burnley. The treble is on! :trophy: :partytime:

Globalgunner
05-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Wenger always sees the world differently to everyone else. All those goals are due to defensive cock ups. Monreal gave away a stupid pen and Merts seems to think that jumping for headers is superfluous when you're as tall as he is. So no new defenders at Xmas. We just need to work harder with what we've got. Spending isn't always the solution. You know. SHEESH! My head hurts.

adzzzbatch
05-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Wenger didn't even get up and shout instructions at his team, he just sat there under his blanket.

Xhaka Can’t
05-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Ha fatigue

Fatigue caused by failing to rotate your squad

And yet no substitutions until we are at 3-2

Judging by his choices, that can only be a good thing.

Xhaka Can’t
05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Even if you accept the fatigue twoddle why is it that this sort of thing only seems to affect Arsenal?

Welcome to the forum.

I was thinking that. It is likely because he runs the same core of players into the ground so that they eventually become regular crocks.

Xhaka Can’t
05-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Wenger always sees the world differently to everyone else. All those goals are due to defensive cock ups. Monreal gave away a stupid pen and Merts seems to think that jumping for headers is superfluous when you're as tall as he is. So no new defenders at Xmas. We just need to work harder with what we've got. Spending isn't always the solution. You know. SHEESH! My head hurts.

In all seriousness, what good is there in signing new players? You need a plan first.

Bumble
05-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Wenger didn't even get up and shout instructions at his team, he just sat there under his blanket.
it was cold and wet and he is an old man.... surprised he didn't have a cup of cocoa on the bench with him

selassie
05-11-2014, 08:46 AM

I totally agree, Wenger is the cause of these collapses. I just meant that sacking "Wenger" should be discussed in the other thread.

I have wanted him gone for a few seasons now, nothing will change with him in charge, he can't even improve the team now he has a big transfer kitty, in fact he has somehow made us worse!

Letters
05-11-2014, 09:19 AM

He should have told them to stop conceding goals.

Dein-machine
05-11-2014, 09:23 AM
The thing is, when had a proper captain he would make sure the team responds to setbacks.
If a team is winning 3-0 they're clearly much better than the opposition.
If the other side get a goal back then the team need to respond, step up. A strong captain helps that happen.
Right now the slightest setback and we're all over the shop.

100% agree with you, we haven't replaced Viera as a player or a captain - but this I'm afraid is down to Wenger. His last captain couldn't get in the team & this one shouldn't be. At 3-1 yesterday someone should have been there pushing us forward instead of backwards. These fundamental mistakes that keep happening every season are the reasons why Wenger should not have got a new contract.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't agree about the Vieira captain thing
Great physical presence and technical ability but definitely not a leader
The fact is the idea of leadership and character on the pitch is an outmoded idea
It's about tactical discipline, captains actually mean very little in this day and age

Ralpheroo72
05-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Our captain situation is as comical as our defending/tactics/transfer policy/injuries. You could give Wenger £200M, he still couldn't get it right. The next 3 years are going to be awful, and very repetitive.

Dein-machine
05-11-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't agree about the Vieira captain thing
Great physical presence and technical ability but definitely not a leader
The fact is the idea of leadership and character on the pitch is an outmoded idea
It's about tactical discipline, captains actually mean very little in this day and age

Really - don't remember too many 8-2 drubbings by the Mancs or 5 & 6's against Liverpool & Chelsea when he was captain. The players followed his tenacity ( at times a little to much it could be said ) but we were a horrible team to play & wouldn't collapse as we have done in recent years.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Vieira played in the 6-1 defeat to United at Old Trafford

And we were tough to beat because we had a large, physically imposing team with many players six foot plus. Nothing to do with Vieira's leadership.

This is the same Vieira whose leadership skills included getting himself sent off for losing his head at actual or perceived provocation

Letters
05-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Is that a fact?!
How can leadership and character on the pitch ever be a bad thing?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 10:09 AM
It's not a bad thing it's just a myth that it makes any difference

Players are either good or they aren't, the managers tactics are either good or they aren't

In this day and age it doesn't really matter who your captain is if you have quality of players and tangible tactics

Letters
05-11-2014, 10:19 AM
No, it isn't.

I've seen interviews with players who played under Adams who have said how his leadership geed them up for games.

The fact is this is happening far too regularly these days (and that really is a fact) and I don't believe the fact we've not had a proper captain for years is a co-incidence. It's nothing to do with whether our players are good enough, there are ways of reacting to setbacks and far too often we fold under pressure.

Özim
05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Leadership still plays an important part in the game, there's no doubt about that.....some players can't deal with adversity others respond....captains or leaders are those that organise, motivate and make player raise their games, either vocally or through their performances/actions.....it's a long time since we've had leaders and it shows.

The top clubs have those players who lead by example and try and make things happen even when the flow is going against them, we just shrivel and disappear.

Vieira was a great leader in that he would fight for every ball, try and make things happen even if we were behind, he didn't let his head drop and allow the opposition to have it all their own way.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 10:41 AM
No, it isn't.

I've seen interviews with players who played under Adams who have said how his leadership geed them up for games.

The fact is this is happening far too regularly these days (and that really is a fact) and I don't believe the fact we've not had a proper captain for years is a co-incidence. It's nothing to do with whether our players are good enough, there are ways of reacting to setbacks and far too often we fold under pressure.

-------
Tony Adams - exactly, you are hailing back to a time where leadership on the pitch made a difference

Do you know who the Captain was for Real Madrid who won the European cup? (Iker Casillas?)

When someone earns the amount Ramsey does, your not going to listen to another player telling you to stop bombing forward

That becomes the managers responsibility to implement a reasonable tactical plan

Özim
05-11-2014, 10:43 AM
The manager is incapable of motivating and has always been found to be tactically naive, in the successful years he relied on players who motivated and knew how to handle adversity.

With no players like that now we can see the result.

Letters
05-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Tony Adams - exactly, you are hailing back to a time where leadership on the pitch made a difference
On what basis would you say that's changed then?
Are you arguing it's because they earn so much money now?

Dein-machine
05-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Players are either good or they aren't, the managers tactics are either good or they aren't

In this day and age it doesn't really matter who your captain is if you have quality of players and tangible tactics

A myth in your own weird world - captains not being important on the pitch, FFS.

LDG
05-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I watched that last night, switched off, and went to bed and had a long peaceful nights sleep.

It happens too often now to get depressed about it.

I find I'm much happier without too much football nowadays. It stinks, it's corrupt and there's too much money in it.

I was soooo happy we got the FA Cup last year, and so I think I've drawn a line under it now. Unless football cleans itself up, I don't think I want to waste my life on it anymore.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I think it's contributed
I think the general attitude has changed
With multi millionaires everywhere and agents whispering in people's ears, the ego of your average footballer is inflated to the point where they don't respond as well to people with stronger personalities.

But my main point was dismissing the idea that Vieira had a leaders personality, he didnt, he was physically imposing, strong and naturally athletic. But personality wise he was weak, quick to temper and you didnt see him talking to his team mates. He was given the captaincy to stop him from leaving nothing more.

I agree that even if leadership was an issue we have no players with strong personalities, just very dull, spoilt rich boys

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 10:56 AM
I watched that last night, switched off, and went to bed and had a long peaceful nights sleep.

I find I'm much happier without too much football nowadays. It stinks, it's corrupt and there's too much money in it.

I was soooo happy we got the FA Cup last year, and so I think I've drawn a line under it now. Unless football cleans itself up, I don't think I want to waste my life on it anymore.

I pretty much completely agree with you, the thing is I keep telling myself I won't waste my time on it but keep getting drawn back.

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2014, 10:57 AM

I think a lot of people will end up feeling like this. I used to love boxing too - then money became the point and I haven't watched since. Used to watch American football when they had a fair draft system and before the big free agency changes came in, now it's a joke. Modern sport = small minority of greedy fuckers positioning themselves to squeeze the fans (entertainment and credibility optional). Formula 1, two teams can't even make the grid because some horrible little shit of a crook hasn't got enough billions yet. We need to put the sport back into sport and that will mean kicking the crooks out. We can't expect the governing bodies to do it because look at any sport and they are the most corrupt of all. Fans will need to do it and I have no problem whatsoever with violence if need be in this case.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-11-2014, 11:00 AM
A myth in your own weird world - captains not being important on the pitch, FFS.

Just think its so called influence is massively overstated now

Germany would have won the World Cup without Lahm (and I really rate Lahm)

Letters
05-11-2014, 11:07 AM

:good:

I keep an eye on it and of course was pleased we won the Cup but my main reaction last night was: LOL!
I'm too old to be that arsed any more.

Dein-machine
05-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Just think its so called influence is massively overstated now

Germany would have won the World Cup without Lahm (and I really rate Lahm)

We are not Germany or Real Madrid. We have nowhere near the quality of individual per position that these teams have. They hardly ever have to adopt a different approach during a game & they don't have limited individuals needing guidance. We unfortunately do, which is why We need a leader on the pitch. If you made Arteta captain of either Real Madrid or Germany, they would still win things but because of Wengers' pursuit of trying to polish turds we are not in that position.

Marc Overmars
05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
How shit has Ramsey been this season btw? The old bad habits have managed to creep back in to his game.

Globalgunner
05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
The only thing that makes captaincy redundant is when you appoint weak minded shrills to the job like Wenger does. He gives it to the player who his whim takes him to give not because he has the right temperament or characteristics but often as a sop to keep him (Henry, Fabregas). Vieira was a leader and his characteristics matched that of the team, we were dogged and difficult to beat. Now we give it to Arteta because he has nice hair. You could argue that Vermaelen had been captain of Ajax before so was a natural leader but when he doesn't play then it has no meaning. This team mirrors Wengers personality, fragile, febrile and effeminate.

Its quite well known that Wenger does`nt like strong personalities. He avoids them. they may start asking shit like "why do we always play for 4th"

Alpha
05-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Everyone linked to Arsenal must feel ashamed of that result . Totally embarrassing and shameful , not only for the players .

1) Players : they showed how immature they still are even though some are no longer teenagers . Many deserve the bench from now but that will never happen . Time to give a chance to other players

2) Boss : Clueless , tactically inerte and unable to manage his team in a big occasion . Still not sure about his best 11 and his best substitutes . Time to say goodbye ?

3) Fans : Cold and never drive their team to a win . They have made the Emirates a neutral stadium where any team can feel comfortable .How on hell , can visiting fans be louder in your own ground ? They should learn from Turkish teams . Regardless of result , fans should never make their place an easy paradise for a visiting team .

Syn
05-11-2014, 01:06 PM
He doesn't play for the team, he plays to get the headlines. Seen his mate carry Tottenham and get a world record move to Real Madrid and he's after the same. Just the other day Wenger publicly said Ramsey shouldn't obsessed by scoring and that he should do his defensive work well. Yesterday he was constantly running beyond Welbeck and didn't have the legs/didn't want to make it back.

Everything went to shit once Arteta went off and Flamini is awful so Ramsey really shouldn't leave him so open in midfield. Brainless and selfish play. He was much more concerned about getting his goal. And why the fuck did Podolski allow that cross in? He'd only just come on so can't blame tired legs. Silly move by Wenger to bring him on at all when we're trying to protect a lead.

Syn
05-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Another thing that really pisses me off is the lack of nous. Only Monreal had a yellow card. When we're trying to chase a game we always get schooled on the cynical side of the game but somehow we never apply the same tricks when we need to. You have to break up opposition play with fouls high up the pitch, you've got to feign injury, get a stretcher on, waste some time, dive, win free kicks, let Szczesny get booked for taking goal kicks too slowly...all that dirty, cunty stuff that's ruining football - that's what we needed to do. Just slow everything down and get numbers behind the ball.

Dein-machine
05-11-2014, 01:07 PM

The comments he makes these days are really the rumblings of senile dementia setting in. If you had a business where the sales guys were doing their stuff & the order books were bursting but you weren't producing the goods in time, if the M.D came out to say that he didn't think he needed to improve production because its not where the problem lies - the owners of the business would & should remove him from his position. As the problems are so obvious the board should suggest a meeting with him to decide his immediate future should he be in any doubt about buying a quality defender & DM in the transfer window. No one is bigger than the club is what you here from every person in football - doesn't seem to be that way at Arsenal.

selassie
05-11-2014, 01:11 PM
How shit has Ramsey been this season btw? The old bad habits have managed to creep back in to his game.

He's been awful. He can barely pass the ball these days and his positioning seems to be totally off, he was playing like a Centre Forward in the last 20 mins last night, WTF?!!!

Right now he's a bench player, Wilshere should start ahead of him.

Xhaka Can’t
05-11-2014, 01:13 PM
3) Fans : Cold and never drive their team to a win . They have made the Emirates a neutral stadium where any team can feel comfortable .How on hell , can visiting fans be louder in your own ground ? They should learn from Turkish teams . Regardless of result , fans should never make their place an easy paradise for a visiting team .
Halve the ticket prices and then halve the top price tickets again and you'll get that.

Dein-machine
05-11-2014, 01:23 PM
He's been awful. He can barely pass the ball these days and his positioning seems to be totally off, he was playing like a Centre Forward in the last 20 mins last night, WTF?!!!

Right now he's a bench player, Wilshere should start ahead of him.

Wenger must have worked his magic on him pre-season & turned him into shit again. I fear for Alexis, another few months under Wenger & he'll be playing for Barnet next year.

Injury Time
05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Everyone linked to Arsenal must feel ashamed of that result . Totally embarrassing and shameful , not only for the players .

1) Players : they showed how immature they still are even though some are no longer teenagers . Many deserve the bench from now but that will never happen . Time to give a chance to other players

2) Boss : Clueless , tactically inerte and unable to manage his team in a big occasion . Still not sure about his best 11 and his best substitutes . Time to say goodbye ?

1 & 2 yes, 3 Never? No.

Marc Overmars
05-11-2014, 03:26 PM
He doesn't play for the team, he plays to get the headlines. Seen his mate carry Tottenham and get a world record move to Real Madrid and he's after the same. Just the other day Wenger publicly said Ramsey shouldn't obsessed by scoring and that he should do his defensive work well. Yesterday he was constantly running beyond Welbeck and didn't have the legs/didn't want to make it back.

:gp:

He's activated full on Stevie Me mode.

fakeyank
05-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Dude, we wont... trust me. We seem to be in the zone of going '10-12 games unbeaten'. This will be the stat Wenger will use to define consistency. We may even close the gap to Chelsea in the meanwhile. We hit free fall everytime we play a succession of games against top teams. Right now Dortmund looks like that game but they are qualified and we are at home... we will nick a draw.

fakeyank
05-11-2014, 04:37 PM
In all seriousness, what good is there in signing new players? You need a plan first.

:gp:

I'd love it if we can bring in Ronaldo and Messi at Arsenal for a few months. Watch how they look clueless under this manager. Buying (or rather not buying) of players is not the issue at Arsenal, the problem is the manager. He is past his sell by date and unfortunately we have a board who are incompetent to do anything about it.

Power n Glory
05-11-2014, 05:43 PM

Everything went to shit once Arteta went off and Flamini is awful so Ramsey really shouldn't leave him so open in midfield. Brainless and selfish play. He was much more concerned about getting his goal. And why the fuck did Podolski allow that cross in? He'd only just come on so can't blame tired legs. Silly move by Wenger to bring him on at all when we're trying to protect a lead.

Yes Wenger said to the press he wanted an all round game from him. He said the goals would come once he's doing the basics and the idiot pays no attention. I hope he gets benched for the next few games. That's the one occasion you can say Wenger has given a player instructions and he's either too think to follow through or just totally ignored him.

Power n Glory
05-11-2014, 05:50 PM

:gp: You're not the only one. I had the game on in the background but wasn't paying it too much attention or getting over excited or frustrated with the performance. We've seen it all before.

topgun
05-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I read today that the Anderlecht manager said in his post match interview that they had to change their tactics at half time and he was very surprised that Arsenal never responded to this.He obviously has not watched Arsenal much then.

BOBN
05-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Swap Schneiderlein with Ramsey or Wilshere and we're a better team. More responsible and at least equal talent

That "British core" lark went well :haha:

We better keep hoping United stay messing up cos I cant see how we're supposed to catch Southampton. Better defence, midfield and to my eye attack. I'll re-evaluate attack when Walcott and Ozil come back.

fakeyank
05-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Swap Schneiderlein with Ramsey or Wilshere and we're a better team. More responsible and at least equal talent

That "British core" lark went well :haha:

We better keep hoping United stay messing up cos I cant see how we're supposed to catch Southampton. Better defence, midfield and to my eye attack. I'll re-evaluate attack when Walcott and Ozil come back.

We really actually need just one swap... swap wenger for a good manager and we should be good. Also, dont hold your breath on Ozil coming back and setting the world on fire. Not till Wenger is in charge at least..

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Here we go again. A player coming back from a long lay-off and suddenly he's shit, sell him. Fans :haha:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Way OTT comments on Ramsey! Very harsh imo. He's just not playing well and it isn't through selfishness or want of trying. Last season means he has the belief to keep going and he is probably just trying to play through it.....and with some justification. It doesn't mean he should abandon his defensive duties but the fitness statistics he once achieved aren't attained easily....

Other than players being older and more experienced than him and/or his captain, he just might listen to a team mate because he has a little humility and is as unassuming a footballer as you'll find.....so I completely disagree with the point about a player like him who earns what he does being adverse to listening.

As a professional you need to filter the advice you receive which is no doubt coming out of every external orifice in sight. Some will contradict each other and many of them won't be right. He will need to work it out for himself and find his way despite some of the good advice he may well be getting.

BOBN
05-11-2014, 08:49 PM
We really actually need just one swap... swap wenger for a good manager and we should be good. Also, dont hold your breath on Ozil coming back and setting the world on fire. Not till Wenger is in charge at least..
Youre right.

Last week I saw the most complete defensive midfield performances in this country for years from Alex Song. He gallavanted about for us.

Fabregas is showing he can play in a midfield 2 at Chelsea, something he was so incapable of here we changed formation.

Wenger is a destroyer of midfielders. Bring in somebody serious and we may be able to salvage Ramsey, Ozil
and Wilshere.

Power n Glory
05-11-2014, 09:01 PM
This is an odd case. We often say Wenger doesn't set instructions for his players but Wenger has openly said to the press that Ramsey should hold back on the goal hunting and play a tidy game. Focus on the basic and the goals will come. Help the defensive side. So what happened?

Also, we really need to get beyond this untouchable player bias. It's ok to blast Pod's lazy attempt to track back but say nothing of Ramsey's overall game? Season in fact?

Niall_Quinn
05-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Ramsey's poor performance was mentioned on the night by several people. Wenger's fault. Obviously the player needs a few games to get back to the required level. But leaving him on to get those minutes when he was knackered and we had started to struggle was stupid. And if Wenger really wasn't pleased with his instructions not being followed then even more of a reason to sub him. All that aside, commenting on his bad game is a long way from suggesting he be sold or swapped.

Power n Glory
05-11-2014, 09:39 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-must-defend-better-front-4572780

Per had a poor game but he's right about this one. Tactically clueless as Merson said. Wenger's a lost cause but the player's should have also known better. Assess the situation and adjust your game.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-11-2014, 10:30 PM
No player is untouchable...not Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshre or anyone..... There are no figures left in the entire club with that kind of gravitas. Wilshere has been getting slaughtered on here for age's and Ozil is catching up. I've been criticising Ramsey all season but I don't buy the idea he's just taking to the pitch seeking to serve his own personal gains and to hell with anyone else.

It is the sort of thing that is put forward when frustration with a player and club reaches fever pitch and people can't actually formulate a coherent objective debate for his slump. But I don't buy it.

Power n Glory
05-11-2014, 10:47 PM
It's a stretch to talk about his motives but I wouldn't say it's a stretch to say he had a selfish game. It happens. Instead of doing what you need for the team, you get players focused on trying to get back to where they were before injury or when they were on form. But Wenger told him to do a job for the team and he hasn't for some reason.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Fairly put.....

Although perhaps Wenger gave him the 'do a job for the team' spiel after the game rather than before it. As we know he isn't famed for his specific and lengthy instructions to players.

BOBN
06-11-2014, 08:19 AM
"Goalscoring" midfielders of Ramseys ilk are the most cowardly in the game.

If they want to score goals that badly why not sign up as strikers? When Giroud got injured he could have spared us Sanogo and by letting the boss know hes stepping up to the plate.

But no, he doesnt want to be expected to score goals more games than not, he wants to hide behind his "im only a midfielder me, goals are a bonus!" thing while abandoning his partner. Unlike his buddy Bale who became a forward from left back, he knows he'll get fooking found out.

Selfish cowardly boy who knows hes blagging it.

Power n Glory
06-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Now that's what I'd call harsh.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Frank Lampard the coward :doh:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
"Goalscoring" midfielders of Ramseys ilk are the most cowardly in the game.

If they want to score goals that badly why not sign up as strikers? When Giroud got injured he could have spared us Sanogo and by letting the boss know hes stepping up to the plate.

But no, he doesnt want to be expected to score goals more games than not, he wants to hide behind his "im only a midfielder me, goals are a bonus!" thing while abandoning his partner. Unlike his buddy Bale who became a forward from left back, he knows he'll get fooking found out.

Selfish cowardly boy who knows hes blagging it.

:blink:

BOBN
06-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Frank Lampard the coward :doh:
The player who validated the theory for me and convinced me to take it to print.

Lampard - a shadow striker as he had zero defensive responsibilities at his peak, just had to ghost into the box and pick up knockdowns. Very similar position that Sanchez has played in the last couple of games. A midfielder is defined by his defensive responsibilities, an attacking player with nothing to do defensively is an attacker. FACT.

So 147 goals in 429 for Chelsea according to Wiki. By rights that sort of rates puts him in the James Beattie/Andy Carroll class of forward, pretty meh. But hes too smart for such a thing, so what did he do? Convince everybody hes "just a midfielder me". Every interview he did he always made sure to mention the word "midfielder", think about it. Coupled with his media pals drawing fraudulent formational diagrams showing 4-5-1s rather than 4-4-2s or 4-4-1-1s and all of a sudden hes the "greatest goalscoring midfielder for a generation".

Letters
06-11-2014, 11:36 AM
"print" :lol:

Marc Overmars
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
BOBN's theories :bow:

Syn
06-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Ramsey was he wasn't like that last season. He's got this incredible engine that allows him to sprint 95 minutes a game. So he ghosts into the right positions in the box but manages to get back, make tackles and spray passes around all over the pitch. That was apparent well before 2013 and even when he was getting all the criticism. He's a proper box to box, all action player like Yaya Toure. Last season he was leading the stats for tackles, interceptions, chances created, passes in the final 1/3, goals scored - anything you want to judge a proper CM as. He can do it all and that's why he's top quality.

But he was born in a shit country and all he had to do in pre season was relax and stay fit. We all took it for granted that he'd stay the same. But he's playing a different role now even when he hasn't been injured. Thought Wenger was behind it but quite clear he's not and wants ramsey to sit deeper and get the basics right. He's obviously struggling for form and thinks he can get it all back by scoring a few goals. But it seems very irresponsible to me. Should be reining it in and getting to the type of performances he was putting in second half of 12-13. We need a Milner/Henderson rather than an out of form Toure.

BOBN
06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Frank’s top five tips on scoring as a midfielder

Get in the mind of a goalscorer
“Work like a striker, think like a striker and train like a striker. After the team training session, practise shooting some more.”
http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/technique/shoot-like-lampard

Yes, anything but "call yourself a striker" :haha:

What did folks say about ducks?

"Practice shooting some more" :haha: like dude, you just did that all session, any chance of some shuttle runs tbf?

Lampard and Gerrard, these are Ramsey role models. Let us not be suprised he is morphing into a self-serving penis.

Master Splinter
06-11-2014, 12:39 PM
"print" :lol:

I'm not sure if it was the oblivious self-importance or the inaccuracy of using the word "print" which made it brilliant.

BOBN :bow:.

Still has his moments.

Power n Glory
06-11-2014, 12:47 PM
The player who validated the theory for me and convinced me to take it to print.

Lampard - a shadow striker as he had zero defensive responsibilities at his peak, just had to ghost into the box and pick up knockdowns. Very similar position that Sanchez has played in the last couple of games. A midfielder is defined by his defensive responsibilities, an attacking player with nothing to do defensively is an attacker. FACT.

So 147 goals in 429 for Chelsea according to Wiki. By rights that sort of rates puts him in the James Beattie/Andy Carroll class of forward, pretty meh. But hes too smart for such a thing, so what did he do? Convince everybody hes "just a midfielder me". Every interview he did he always made sure to mention the word "midfielder", think about it. Coupled with his media pals drawing fraudulent formational diagrams showing 4-5-1s rather than 4-4-2s or 4-4-1-1s and all of a sudden hes the "greatest goalscoring midfielder for a generation".

You're on to something. I've never rated the guy.

Maestro
06-11-2014, 07:50 PM

totally and utterly agree with this, just one edit before you go to print: any midfielder worth his salt, especially CM's, need to have great tactical discipline and very good passing ability not just defensive responsibility.

edit that bit, and send it to Tobias in repro and tell him to run the print for tomorrow morning's edition. good job.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
06-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Please don't encourage him.

Power n Glory
06-11-2014, 08:29 PM
http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/359/blog/post/2131995/ramsey-stuck-in-a-rut-for-gunners

Ramsey needs to rediscover form quickly and be a team player again
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger rued a lapse in concentration as his side let slip a three-goal lead to draw 3-3 with Anderlecht in the Champions League.

At present, Aaron Ramsey is a long way off the form that saw him crowned Arsenal's player of the year in 2013-14. Fans will be desperate for him to arrest the dramatic slump in his form but there are signs that his game is regressing.

During Tuesday's 3-3 draw between Arsenal and Anderlecht, Ramsey was involved in one incident that drew a collective wince from the Emirates crowd. An Arsenal attack was progressing smoothly until the Welshman inexplicably decided to back-heel the ball rather than playing a straightforward pass. His teammates were bemused as the move broke down.

For the supporters in the stands, it was akin to enduring a traumatic flashback. These were the moments of wasteful extravagance that blighted Ramsey's career until the spring of 2013. It was then that a private conversation between Ramsey and Arsene Wenger saw the trajectory of his career dramatically shift.

Wenger has subsequently revealed: "I sat down with Aaron and I told him, 'I don't think people don't like you, but they don't like your game at the moment'. He had to come back to a more simple game. Then you saw a different player because he is intelligent and when I came out of the meeting I knew this guy would come back."

He did far more than just come back. With Wenger's words to guide him, Ramsey scaled unforeseen heights. His manager's advice was crucial and by simplifying his game, Ramsey was able to rebuild his confidence. Deployed deep alongside Mikel Arteta, the Welshman focused on the basics. He improved the consistency of his passing and paid close attention to his defensive duties.

Once those building blocks were in place, embellishments followed. The goals began to flow -- Ramsey racked up 16 across last season, despite missing four months with a thigh problem. He capped his season with an extra-time winner in the FA Cup Final. It was a fitting end to a remarkable campaign, one that seemed to be opening a new chapter in his career.

With Wales absent from the World Cup, Ramsey enjoyed a summer of rest. He was expected to lead the charge for Arsenal this season and goals in the Community Shield and on the opening day of the Premier League suggested he was primed for the task ahead. However, since then he has scored just once. More distressingly, the fundamentals of his game have gone awry. In his eagerness to recover his form, Ramsey has become guilty of overelaboration again.
Aaron Ramsey scored 10 goals for Arsenal last season. Ramsey inspired Arsenal last season and was helped them end their trophy drought with success in the FA Cup, but has started slowly this time around.

Having been through this process before, Wenger will be particularly disappointed to see those old habits creeping back in to Ramsey's game. Perhaps that's why he's chosen to take his instruction public. In a recent news conference, he said: "A midfielder is a player who defends well, attacks well and keeps his priorities right.

"He's not a goal scorer, so he has not to be obsessed by that. I just want him to do his job well. The goals are the consequence of the quality of his game. I don't believe that he has to be obsessed by that."

If Ramsey were listening, it didn't appear to show in his performance against Anderlecht. Blasting an 88th-minute free kick over the bar then needlessly committing himself forward in the build-up to the Belgians' eventual equaliser were evidence of a player still chasing individual rewards rather than prioritising the needs of the team.

It's inevitable to an extent. Goals changed the public perception of Ramsey, and he now sees them as key to recapturing the acclaim that followed him throughout last season. However, there is a bigger picture. Given the defensive instability that is riddling the team, Ramsey needs to show selflessness and restraint.

Arsenal need his all-round game more than he needs a few goals. It's time to show that the performances of 2013-14 were the work of the real Ramsey, not merely the consequence of a prolonged purple patch.

A good summary on how I feel about the Ramsey situation from ESPN. Wenger told once before that he needed to simplify his game and he said it again in the press this week. Ramsey took the advice on board last time so it will be interesting to see what he does with his next start. He just needs to cut out the Hollywood crap and get back to basics. We often blast Wenger for not giving in instructions but I think this one is on the player. Wenger never usually gives incite to specific instructions on the pitch and this was a bit of an eye opener.

Wilshere is another player that this can be applied to. He's been on a selfish streak for a while and it explains why him and Ramsey just don't work together. With both of them looking for glory up field, we're left vulnerable. I see no communication or link up play between the two when they play. Wilshere has a bad habit of trying the impossible before the simple and it's hampering his game. He's another that seems to be putting his form before the team. Wenger needs to sit down with the pair of them and hash it out. If we intend on playing Sanchez behind the striker like we've down over the past few games, we won't need two CM's that produce little going forward and zero work rate at the back. Just sit two destroyers behind Sanchez and he'll get the goals, provide creativity and work his socks off on defence. These guys need to sort their game out quickly because their little scramble to get back on form and score goals may cost them starting positions.

BOBN
07-11-2014, 07:39 AM
http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/359/blog/post/2131995/ramsey-stuck-in-a-rut-for-gunners

A good summary on how I feel about the Ramsey situation from ESPN. Wenger told once before that he needed to simplify his game and he said it again in the press this week. Ramsey took the advice on board last time so it will be interesting to see what he does with his next start. He just needs to cut out the Hollywood crap and get back to basics. We often blast Wenger for not giving in instructions but I think this one is on the player. Wenger never usually gives incite to specific instructions on the pitch and this was a bit of an eye opener.

Wilshere is another player that this can be applied to. He's been on a selfish streak for a while and it explains why him and Ramsey just don't work together. With both of them looking for glory up field, we're left vulnerable. I see no communication or link up play between the two when they play. Wilshere has a bad habit of trying the impossible before the simple and it's hampering his game. He's another that seems to be putting his form before the team. Wenger needs to sit down with the pair of them and hash it out. If we intend on playing Sanchez behind the striker like we've down over the past few games, we won't need two CM's that produce little going forward and zero work rate at the back. Just sit two destroyers behind Sanchez and he'll get the goals, provide creativity and work his socks off on defence. These guys need to sort their game out quickly because their little scramble to get back on form and score goals may cost them starting positions.
So it seems Wenger is shyt scared of people a third of his age. "PEOPLE dont like your game at the moment"? Embarrassing.

Any manager worth his salt wouldnt be able to wait to blast Ramsey over his current game, Ramsey will probably come out in the next game doing exactly the same thing, he couldnt afford to not score against the rivals of his boyhood club now could he.

This is what somebody whos not scared of 90s brats does:

"Every coach plays the way that suits him, so I don't mind that," Suarez wrote, the Guardian report. "The only thing I didn't like was the way that they wasted time from the very start.

“We had gone into the game knowing that a draw was good for us. With the atmosphere at Anfield, with the fact that we had just beaten Manchester City, our attitude remained the same: we wanted to win.”

"I was asking myself: 'Why are they doing this from the first minute?' I even asked one of their players. 'What do you want me to do if he [Mourinho] makes us play like this, I have to play like this' he replied. 'What else can I do? If I don't, I won't play. What would you do?'"

We keep waiting for pundits to bail us out. Neville destroying Vermalean helped us big time. Now Hamanns "selfish" blast was all over the papers and Ramsey will have seen it, thank you Hamann.

Penguin
07-11-2014, 07:55 AM
The problem with Ramsey is that he doesn't excel at anything, so to make up for that he feels like he HAS to score goals. Ok, last season he managed to make a couple of 35 yard passes and some fancy flicks and tricks (after several failed attempts) every game, but if you strip away the goals he scored his performances weren't that great. He took too long on the ball, slowed down our tempo, chose the wrong options, and lost the ball carelessly. But nobody cared about any of that because he was the one knocking in those important, match winning goals.

In some ways last season is kind of detrimental to his development because the media will always compare him to his goal record instead of his all round performance.

Master Splinter
08-11-2014, 12:21 PM
but if you strip away the goals he scored his performances weren't that great. He took too long on the ball, slowed down our tempo, chose the wrong options, and lost the ball carelessly. But nobody cared about any of that because he was the one knocking in those important, match winning goals.

In some ways last season is kind of detrimental to his development because the media will always compare him to his goal record instead of his all round performance.

This is quite simply wrong. Did you actually watch full matches or just highlights? He was outstanding in nearly every department last season. His game clicked together and the goals were the bonus result of his outstanding all-round game. He may have gotten back into old habits so far this season but that doesn't mean you should completely dismiss what was a genuinely fantastic output from someone who appeared to have transformed into the complete midfielder.

Xhaka Can’t
08-11-2014, 12:45 PM
It should be blatantly obvious that if someone is not performing well now, that they have always been shit since the beginning of time.

Regardless of what they may have done or achieved in the past.

Master Splinter
08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Middle ground :lol:.

Awlful terrain.

Power n Glory
08-11-2014, 01:37 PM
This is quite simply wrong. Did you actually watch full matches or just highlights? He was outstanding in nearly every department last season. His game clicked together and the goals were the bonus result of his outstanding all-round game. He may have gotten back into old habits so far this season but that doesn't mean you should completely dismiss what was a genuinely fantastic output from someone who appeared to have transformed into the complete midfielder.

Very wrong. He was a beast last season and the complete box to
box midfielder we hadn't seen in this team for years. He was never a slouch when it came to defending.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
08-11-2014, 03:36 PM
The problem with Ramsey is that he doesn't excel at anything, so to make up for that he feels like he HAS to score goals. Ok, last season he managed to make a couple of 35 yard passes and some fancy flicks and tricks (after several failed attempts) every game, but if you strip away the goals he scored his performances weren't that great. He took too long on the ball, slowed down our tempo, chose the wrong options, and lost the ball carelessly. But nobody cared about any of that because he was the one knocking in those important, match winning goals.

Excellent post.

Penguin
08-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Ok I take it back, It's wrong to say he doesn't excel at anything, which is clearly not true. But he doesn't excel in the things that make an attacking midfielder stand out like technique and playmaking. Players like Pirlo, Xavi and Cesc can look world class even without goals and assists, whereas players like Gerrard, Lampard and Ramsey are arguably put in that bracket because of their goal output. Ramsey feels like he HAS to score goals to stand out, hence his obsession with getting forward and scoring rather than getting the basics right and holding the shape of the team. I'm not calling him a shit player.

The best thing about Ramsey last season, aside from the goals, was his energy and stamina. He was all over the pitch. Snapping into tackles and winning the ball in our box, getting into great positions in their box and then back again in a flash. He was the player that covered the most distance every game. He was brilliant, but he wasn't perfect. I stand by my criticisms of him, even last season he was doing those things I mentioned - taking too long on the ball, choosing the wrong options and being careless in possession. I said as much when we were linked with Cabaye last season, who was actually playing better than Ramsey at the time.