PDA

View Full Version : Thierry Henry retires from football

Bumble
16-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Absolute legend.

Globalgunner
16-12-2014, 07:47 AM
The man left us with a lifetime of memories, audacities, stunts and titles. Im happy to be able to say I say saw in my lifetime;Maradona, Ronaldo (real one), Messi, Ronaldo (irritating but special one) and Thierry Henry play.

Now lets have him back at the club. Bringing Akpom, Aneke and Sanogo along.

Letters
16-12-2014, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5jBnTn9hU

adzzzbatch
16-12-2014, 07:57 AM
:( End of an era.

:bow:

GP
16-12-2014, 08:01 AM
He's joining Sky Sports :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
16-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Titi. :bow:

Niall_Quinn
16-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Genuine (not marketing) legend, footballer from another planet.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-12-2014, 09:26 AM
When he left in 2007 I have to admit from my point of view it was under a cloud, he tried at the time to claim his departure to Barcelona was precipitated by David Dein leaving. I think he could have just admitted he wanted to play for the biggest club in the world and have a chance to win the European Cup (the only trophy he hadnt won as a player) and no one would have begrudged him.
However that's long since forgotten, he is arguably the greatest player to have ever worn the Arsenal shirt, his pace, his ability to score all kinds of goals....totally unique and irreplaceable.
My favourite goal of his was his curler against Man City in 2004, for most players it would have been a non goal scoring position but unlike the great goal against United you expected him to find the net.
My favourite goal of his which I was there to see was against Liverpool in the FA cup at Anfield where he mugged Jamie Carragher near the corner flag sauntered over to the goal and slotted in

Globalgunner
16-12-2014, 10:29 AM
When he left in 2007 I have to admit from my point of view it was under a cloud, he tried at the time to claim his departure to Barcelona was precipitated by David Dein leaving. I think he could have just admitted he wanted to play for the biggest club in the world and have a chance to win the European Cup (the only trophy he hadnt won as a player) and no one would have begrudged him.
However that's long since forgotten, he is arguably the greatest player to have ever worn the Arsenal shirt, his pace, his ability to score all kinds of goals....totally unique and irreplaceable.
My favourite goal of his was his curler against Man City in 2004, for most players it would have been a non goal scoring position but unlike the great goal against United you expected him to find the net.
My favourite goal of his which I was there to see was against Liverpool in the FA cup at Anfield where he mugged Jamie Carragher near the corner flag sauntered over to the goal and slotted in

I remember that one. Carragher had like a 5 yard head start and he overtook him and collected the ball. Henry left us a lot of memories.

Can anyone imagine what a front pairing of Henry and Wright would have been like......50 goals a season paring. Mindblowing!

Marc Overmars
16-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Love the guy. (Plenty of homo)

So many amazing goals and memories, my teenage years wouldn't have been the same without being privelged enough to watch him.

A genuine candidate for best player in the world during his time with us, we won't ever have better.

Letters
16-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Absolute scandal he never won the Ballon d'Or, definitely one of the best players on the planet in his pomp, was an absolute privilege to watch him play.
And to think we had him and Bergkamp in the same team :wacko:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
16-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Absolute scandal that he never won the champions league at Arsenal.

That team seriously underachieved.

Marc Overmars
16-12-2014, 11:44 AM

2004 should have been our year. The semi-finalists were Chelsea, Monaco, Porto and Deportivo FFS.

Still don't think I'm over that Wayne Bridge goal.

GP
16-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Well, he would have if he'd put those simple chance away...

BOBN
16-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Comfortably the best Arsenal player since I started watching (92), nobody else comes close.

Just wish we had him in 99 to put away that FA Cup semi final penalty and halt the United treble and subsequent threepeat. Would have never happened on his watch.

Master Splinter
16-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Pretty much.

Bergkamp :doh:.

And Henry :doh: for the CL final.

Master Splinter
16-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Also, Henry was good.

Has there ever been a player with as much substance and style both on and off the pitch?

There's been arguably better players and many who have achieved more, but the majority of his goals, assists, runs, dribbles, tricks were just performed with exquisite execution. As well you know, I'm no RAWK-esque hyperbolic sentimentalist, but compare him to Ronaldo with his Peter Andre level of fake tan hued self-promotion or even Messi's pudgy, not-always-as-elegant-and-effortless-as-everyone-would-have-you-believe playing style and you realise almost everything he did just oozed immaculate class.

A one-man highlights reel who actually did things that YouTube compilers had to leave out for fear of accusations of fakery in the comments section.

Marc Overmars
16-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Some Irish bloke on my Facebook proclaiming his career is tainted because of that handball. :haha:

Letters
16-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Some Irish bloke on my Facebook proclaiming his career is tainted because of that handball. :haha:

Gary :sulk:

Bumble
16-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I remember the Pompey cup game I think where the home fans (Pompey) were applauding Henry as he was just so good.

and lets know forget the nutmeg on Danny Mills or the backheeled goal against Charlton.

Özim
16-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Great striker and great footballer

Shaqiri Is Boss
16-12-2014, 07:06 PM
:bow:

All that can be said.

alexander
16-12-2014, 07:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5jBnTn9hU

Made the hairs on my arms stand up, amazing and happy times. His mind was as quick as his body.

For me, he signed when I was 18, and was really into my football. I was going to see them regular (at Highbury, our true home) and would sit watching soccer saturday all afternoon. when we didnt win, I was so pissed off. I was lucky this period happened to be when we had Henry playing for us. Sadly I dont care quite as much these days, but might just be that Im older now, have a mortgage, wife etc etc and football has just become less of a priority in my life. Still love Arsenal, just not a big a part of me as it once was.
Thanks Henry for some frigging fantastic years, that video brought back happy memories :scarf:

adzzzbatch
16-12-2014, 07:18 PM
I remember the Pompey cup game I think where the home fans (Pompey) were applauding Henry as he was just so good.

and lets know forget the nutmeg on Danny Mills or the backheeled goal against Charlton.

I was at Highbury to witness that! :bow:

Letters
16-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I was at Highbury to witness that! :bow:

Aye. I was in the North Bank.
We were all: :blink:

Pretty much every game he'd do something worth the entrance fee. One of the all time greats IMO.

alexander
16-12-2014, 07:45 PM

I remember Danny Mills talking about first playing against Henry. Cant remember exactly the story but he said that after the 3rd time he kicked and fouled Henry, he got up and said to Danny Mills "who are you? You are a nobody, you have won nothing and I will win everything" something along those lines. Brilliant. He had that arrogance, but could also back it up.
Love the fella.

fakeyank
16-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Best Arsenal player of all time. Pity I never got to see him play in an Arsenal shirt. I was very close as I was in London in 2006 in the game against Pool at Highbury- the same game where Gerrard neatly passed to TH14 for a goal in the 83rd minute :lol:

It was the 606 days and I had no luck trying to get tickets from there.. :(

Saw him play twice for the Red Bulls and he was anonymous in both games and they lost both games without scoring too! :lol: My bad luck got the best of him! :ilt:

Hope he comes back to Arsenal in some way in the future! :scarf:

Xhaka Can’t
16-12-2014, 08:49 PM
What makes comparing Henry to other players difficult is that he truly was unique.

He brought things to the game that I'd never seen before or since. You believed he was somehow capable of anything. And oftentimes he was.

On and off the pitch he brought sheer joy.

And he played for us. I still cannot believe how lucky we were.

Xhaka Can’t
16-12-2014, 09:09 PM
FFS :doh:
Spot on.

Mr. Lahey
16-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Arsene Wenger described him as the Michael Jordan of Football and I think that is a very fitting comparison. When he wanted, he could take the ball end to end and score himself. However, what truly made him great was not only his goalscoring ability but how much he made those around him better. This was an underrated part of his game, his assist totals were massively overlooked IMO and his overall status in the game was as well. As some have mentioned, the fact that he didn't win the highest prize as the best footballer in the world was shameful. TH14 and the Invincible era was a special time not only in Football but it brought so many great memories in my personal life. I am truly grateful to have witnessed that Arsenal team.

AFC Leveller
17-12-2014, 08:07 AM
"I played in some big games for Arsenal, Barcelona, France, Juve, Monaco… nothing will ever top that night for me," Henry said.
"I really thought I was in a dream. I remember staying in the dressing room for two hours just contemplating. To score a goal again for Arsenal was out of this world."

Leeds, FA cup 2012.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-12-2014, 11:10 PM
I found Shearers comments along the lines of 'he could do most things on a football pitch'.....

I know how it is probably intended but it comes across as the most half arsed praise I've heard of a true great in a long time.

Niall_Quinn
17-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Shearer knows the score.

PREMIER LEAGUE BEST MINUTE-PER-GOALS RATIOS
Thierry Henry 121.79mins
Robin van Persie 136.62
Alan Shearer 146.86
Michael Owen 153.55
Ian Wright 157.35
Didier Drogba 164.61
Minimum 100 goals; Source Opta

GP
17-12-2014, 11:40 PM
I found Shearers comments along the lines of 'he could do most things on a football pitch'.....

I know how it is probably intended but it comes across as the most half arsed praise I've heard of a true great in a long time.

Shearer's entire punditry career is half-arsed. It actually makes me angry that's he's paid out of my licence fee.

Dein-machine
18-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Shearer knows the score.

PREMIER LEAGUE BEST MINUTE-PER-GOALS RATIOS
Thierry Henry 121.79mins
Robin van Persie 136.62
Alan Shearer 146.86
Michael Owen 153.55
Ian Wright 157.35
Didier Drogba 164.61
Minimum 100 goals; Source Opta

good stuff - we have 3 out of the top 5.
Henry, Van Persie, Wright -------- Welbeck, Sonogo, Giroud - in Letters words "its progress" :unsure:

Letters
18-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Yep, that completely represents my views and isn't twisting things whatsoever.
You win today's episode of THE INTERNET.

Syn
18-12-2014, 02:43 PM
:haha:

really should shut this place down.

Master Splinter
18-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Letters clearly gets some sort of kick from it.

It's his equivalent of Fight Club.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-12-2014, 07:44 PM
What was con artists minutes per goals I Wonder? I suppose he is not included as he would have scored under 100 goals....

I was a little surprised by Drogba's but his is skewed by the fact he took about 2.5 years to settle!

Letters
19-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Letters clearly gets some sort of kick from it.

It's his equivalent of Fight Club.

If we shut this place down then I'd lose my imaginary internet power. Without that I am nothing. NOTHING!

Munchies
19-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Chelsea fans say that Drogba is better :lol:

Even Heskey/Bent have scored more PL goals than Drogba

Niall_Quinn
19-12-2014, 10:43 AM
If we shut this place down then I'd lose my imaginary internet power. Without that I am nothing. NOTHING!

Come the GW revolution you'll be the first one out on your ear, that I can promise you. You seem unstoppable now, but if the Roman Empire fell then you can be brought down too.

Niall_Quinn
19-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Chelsea fans say that Drogba is better :lol:

Even Heskey/Bent have scored more PL goals than Drogba

Heskey is trying to make a come back, apparently. In time for an England call up?

Dein-machine
19-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Come the GW revolution you'll be the first one out on your ear, that I can promise you. You seem unstoppable now, but if the Roman Empire fell then you can be brought down too.

Letters will mysteriously disappear when Wenger goes. You will then find "French Letters" taking over as MOD on a Monaco fan forum just as Wenger is confirmed as returning to his beloved club - its him I tell ya!

Dein-machine
19-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Heskey is trying to make a come back, apparently. In time for an England call up?

Or a transfer to us - Wenger wil see it as a good deal because he's free & however utterly useless he was, he'd still be one of our best strikers.

Özil's Panoramic View
19-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Comfortably the best Arsenal player since I started watching (92), nobody else comes close.

Just wish we had him in 99 to put away that FA Cup semi final penalty and halt the United treble and subsequent threepeat. Would have never happened on his watch.

I'll just leave this bit here for you....
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTjpNhG2L8

Bon Bon. :haha:

Niall_Quinn
19-12-2014, 10:00 PM
We were just privileged, spoiled rotten, living in a football fantasy land having both at the club. And now we have the hump that we can't get a second helping :haha: Well maybe we can't outspend the chavs and gypos to the title but they will never, ever, ever, no matter how many billions they spend, have a team anywhere near what we witnessed during the Bergkamp and Henry era. Can't be bought.

Anyone who doesn't have a huge smile on their face all the way through this video doesn't really have a connection with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSULy5LkKs

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Does he have the best first touch in the history of the universe....

Globalgunner
20-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes, I do believe he does. Only player I've seen who could possibly match him was Berbatov. . They both make it look so easy that some mistake it for being languid. Bergkamp had a mean turn of pace in both 1994 and 98 WCs. His goal against Argentina is pure liquid gold.

Bumble
20-12-2014, 10:13 PM
We were blessed. We had so many players that could get into any other team in the world. From the back with Campbell and Cole to midfield with Vieira and pires and up front bergkamp and Henry.

Absolute quality and yet should have won more.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Spot on.