PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Hull City Tigers (home, FA Cup)

McNamara That Ghost...
04-01-2015, 07:27 PM
That was very comfortable, Hull had little interest in trying to get back in the game allowing us to snooze around for a bit.

Alexis. :bow:

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Couldn't have hoped for an easier game, won it without too much fuss. Passing was better. Alexis with another MotM performance. A bit low key for a cup match but entertaining in spots.

Marc Overmars
04-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Yay

adzzzbatch
04-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Woot. wasn't the most exciting game but we're on our a way in the FA cup and this team owe us a considerable cup run and challenge at least this dire season.

Xhaka Can’t
04-01-2015, 07:39 PM
This thread should liven up when everybody is back from the match.

adzzzbatch
04-01-2015, 07:40 PM
This thread should liven up when everybody is back from the match.

:lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Nice to see Theodore get a bloody game. Once he gets into a little he'll start scoring and we'll continue to find him.

Up the Arse!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Utter turd fest for the first twenty minutes of each half, Walcott clearly in need of more game time. Hull never looked remotely interested, was an exercise in damage limitation for them and due to our profligacy in front of goal at times far more respectable a result than they deserved.
Win gratefully accepted, have few easier than that for the remainder of the season.

Alpha
04-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Not a very good game as we blooded too many rust players but I was impressed with Coquelin . Give him a run of games and he will become a top holding midfielder . Campbell also looks a good player but very short of confidence .
But the victory counts more than any individual performance .

Bumble
04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
A win is a win. Hull were poor and it was very comfortable for us. Thought coq was lucky to stay on the pitch as there was an ankle breaker challenge in first half but I am sure we will get an unjust decision in an important game to even things up. Didn't think much of Campbell, Theo very rusty.

Again Sanchez does the business. We seem to go from relying on one player to another player. Henry fabregas rvp and know Sanchez. My worry is he does so much running he will need a rest soon to avoid burn out Feb March onwards when the pressure increases.

Roll on 4th round and hopefully home tie.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Though in fairness Cazorla and Chamberlain are at least in form too so that's 3 form players. I thought Theo starting on the left was interesting and though his finishing touch is obviously not quite there.... the movement was very good from him and he looks a more imposing figure in terms of upper body strength.

If Chamberlain is out.....then might this be a chance to bring Gnabry back into the proceedings. He was good last season and was quite unfortunate not to play a lot more than he did....

Master Splinter
04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Quinn had a great game!

Hull were under-strength!

McShane is 36.

Pearce is more senile than Motson.

Letters
04-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Thought we were pretty good today, apart from in front of goal where we were wasteful (although credit to the Hull defence and 'keeper for that block and save in the first half). Pretty comfortable win, should have been all over long before Sanchez rolled his eyes for the bazillionth time this season and showed them all how to do it.

Injury Time
04-01-2015, 08:27 PM
That'll do pig, that'll do. :cold:

AFC Leveller
04-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Sanchez is pure world class, he can be as good as the best in this league if he is managed properly and played alongside decent players.

Munchies
04-01-2015, 09:48 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/IndolentYoungDeermouse.gif

Injury Time
04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/IndolentYoungDeermouse.gif

Just put it on backwards and let Bould do it up FFS, the white version :spicy:

Letters
04-01-2015, 10:18 PM
I have often argued that Wenger is not a bumbling idiot but you have to have to worry about someone who can't do a coat up!

:doh:

selassie
04-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Yay we won! It was the "Alexis and Cazorla Show" :)

Japan Shaking All Over
04-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Yeeeeeeh a comfortable win Sanchez :bow: and Coq

A Gunner
05-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Coquelin has been very good in the last few games, strong in tackle, good interception and good leap, apart from the last lunging tackle he did (which I think he did it just for fun, so it was stupid of him), everything he did was right in this game. I agree with Alpha with a run of games he can be the top DM in our team.

I honestly think the couple of times Ospina had to made a save at least one of them wouldn't have been save by Szezny, as his reaction has been poor lately, always rooted to the ground.

While we know what Theo can do, so he can definitely be excuse for being rusty, the jury is definitely out on Campbell, I hope he is just rusty too, but was not impress, seems to be lost sometimes, slow reaction.

fakeyank
05-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Coquelin has been very good in the last few games, strong in tackle, good interception and good leap, apart from the last lunging tackle he did (which I think he did it just for fun, so it was stupid of him), everything he did was right in this game. I agree with Alpha with a run of games he can be the top DM in our team.

I honestly think the couple of times Ospina had to made a save at least one of them wouldn't have been save by Szezny, as his reaction has been poor lately, always rooted to the ground.

While we know what Theo can do, so he can definitely be excuse for being rusty, the jury is definitely out on Campbell, I hope he is just rusty too, but was not impress, seems to be lost sometimes, slow reaction.

:gp:

Agree with Coquelin. He is miles ahead of Flamini and is better in tackle against Arteta. I'd definitely start him ahead of those two.

Gooner23
05-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Comfortable win against limited opposition. We coasted at times which I never like to see when we're only one goal up but in fairness we weren't troubled. Some good individual performances though, and the defence was solid.

Ospina 7 - untroubled
Bellerin 7 - bright
Chambers 7 - better
Merts 8 - gooaaal
Monreal 7 - solid
Coq 8 - firm
Santi 8 - classy
Rosicky 7 - energy
Campbell 6 - inhibited
Theo 6 - rusty
Alexis 8 - quality

Gooner23
05-01-2015, 07:17 AM

Agree with Coquelin. He is miles ahead of Flamini and is better in tackle against Arteta. I'd definitely start him ahead of those two.

His passing lets him down at times but then so does Flamini's. I've always rated him though, gives our midfield some bite. We should keep him around but I do think we need to upgrade the position in Jan.

As for Campbell, the guy just looks terrified of expressing himself incase he makes a mistake. Hopefully with some more games his confidence will grow as he does have ability.

AFC Leveller
05-01-2015, 07:52 AM
According to John Jensen, Chensey was fined by the club after his behaviour post game at St Mary's and was told he wont play again this season! LOL if true but id be very surprised if it was the case.

Power n Glory
05-01-2015, 08:26 AM
No idea why we loaned out Coquelin. He can also play RB. Remember when seeming him at one game, he looked to really be bossing the middle so was surprised to see him loaned out the following season.

Only saw the last goal and last few minutes of the game, but we seemed lively. Sanchez is a beast!

Maestro
05-01-2015, 09:05 AM
According to John Jensen, Chensey was fined by the club after his behaviour post game at St Mary's and was told he wont play again this season! LOL if true but id be very surprised if it was the case.

what behaviour????

AFC Leveller
05-01-2015, 12:10 PM
No idea why we loaned out Coquelin. He can also play RB. Remember when seeming him at one game, he looked to really be bossing the middle so was surprised to see him loaned out the following season.

Only saw the last goal and last few minutes of the game, but we seemed lively. Sanchez is a beast!

Coquelin has made more tackles in 3 games than Arteta and Flamini have in 2 years.

AFC Leveller
05-01-2015, 12:11 PM
what behaviour????

in the dressing room he was apparently not bothered by his performance and was all jokey and carefree.

Gooner23
05-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Smells like bullshit

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Bit perplexed as to the general reaction following Coquelin's and Campbell's performances.

Coquelin was okay, solid enough but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. I think we've reached the stage where we're confusing good play with what a player should be doing by default. We make so many mistakes we think it's a good performance when we make less mistakes. The fact Coquelin dived in like a maniac and should have been sent off, which maybe would have put us under pressure, is enough to mark his performance down. That was a leg breaking lunge and we have been suitably horrified when dirty bastards like Taylor and Shawcross have done the same. That moment shouldn't be overlooked so easily. It shows we currently have more of a liability than an asset on our hands. That could change as he plays more, if he plays more.

As for Campbell. This was his first game in ages. His biggest sin was not quite being on the same wavelength as his team mates - very understandable. Otherwise he linked the play well, was solid with his passing and displayed an encouraging tendency to want to go forwards rather than backwards. It was another solid if not spectacular performance.

The real weak link was Bellerin. Good going forwards, a skilful player. But he can't defend. He was caught out of position several times and that would have cost us against a better team.

Cazorla and Alexis were the two best players on the pitch, but even they put in hot and cold performances. Some very good stuff from them, but also a fair bit of sloppy passing and wasted possession. Again, it would have been harder for them against a decent team.

Fact is, we did what we needed to do but against a very poor and unambitious opponent. If we can keep the ball and distribute it as well against a better team then that will be progress.

Letters
05-01-2015, 12:29 PM
we think it's a good performance when we make less mistakes.
You said 'less' not 'fewer' :haha:

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2015, 12:31 PM

It's so childish the way you go on with stuff like this :sulk:

selassie
05-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Bit perplexed as to the general reaction following Coquelin's and Campbell's performances.

Coquelin was okay, solid enough but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. I think we've reached the stage where we're confusing good play with what a player should be doing by default. We make so many mistakes we think it's a good performance when we make less mistakes. The fact Coquelin dived in like a maniac and should have been sent off, which maybe would have put us under pressure, is enough to mark his performance down. That was a leg breaking lunge and we have been suitably horrified when dirty bastards like Taylor and Shawcross have done the same. That moment shouldn't be overlooked so easily. It shows we currently have more of a liability than an asset on our hands. That could change as he plays more, if he plays more.

As for Campbell. This was his first game in ages. His biggest sin was not quite being on the same wavelength as his team mates - very understandable. Otherwise he linked the play well, was solid with his passing and displayed an encouraging tendency to want to go forwards rather than backwards. It was another solid if not spectacular performance.

The real weak link was Bellerin. Good going forwards, a skilful player. But he can't defend. He was caught out of position several times and that would have cost us against a better team.

Cazorla and Alexis were the two best players on the pitch, but even they put in hot and cold performances. Some very good stuff from them, but also a fair bit of sloppy passing and wasted possession. Again, it would have been harder for them against a decent team.

Fact is, we did what we needed to do but against a very poor and unambitious opponent. If we can keep the ball and distribute it as well against a better team then that will be progress.

I find myself agreeing with you more and more these days ;)

I especially agree with the part I have highlighted regarding Coquelin. I would have him in the team instead of Flamini but that isn't really saying much and I certainly don't think Coquelin is the solution. He's too rash and gives the ball away too much IMO. I think he has played well over the past few games all things being considered but he has a long way to go before we can consider him a first team starter and we really should be bringing in true quality in this position.

Bumble
05-01-2015, 01:08 PM

I find myself agreeing with you more and more these days ;)

I especially agree with the part I have highlighted regarding Coquelin. I would have him in the team instead of Flamini but that isn't really saying much and I certainly don't think Coquelin is the solution. He's too rash and gives the ball away too much IMO. I think he has played well over the past few games all things being considered but he has a long way to go before we can consider him a first team starter and we really should be bringing in true quality in this position.

Don't worry I am getting scared that NQ is making a lot of sense these days. Also agree that probably Coq would be ahead of Flam in the team, but both aren't great and there is a reason Coq was on loan at Charlton.

We now have a nice week between games so that some players can return and also the cheque book can go into over drive although its probably online banking now as opposed to cheque book.

Power n Glory
05-01-2015, 02:09 PM
There wasn't a good reason to send Coquelin out on loan. If he should be ahead of Flamini, why send him out on loan when he can also play at RB?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-01-2015, 02:10 PM
To be fair NQ's footballing opinions have always been quite astute

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-01-2015, 02:12 PM
There wasn't a good reason to send Coquelin out on loan. If he should be ahead of Flamini, why send him out on loan when he can also play at RB?

Because Wengers pecking order for players isn't based on ability it's based on weekly wage

Power n Glory
05-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Because Wengers pecking order for players isn't based on ability it's based on weekly wage

I get the feeling that has something to do with it. But I also think he doesn't like when players say they should be playing in the first team.

rodders
05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
During the second half we did our best to throw it away but narrowly failed to pull it off.

adzzzbatch
05-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Same for mertersacker the amount of times you could see him standing on the edge or inside the hull penalty area, way out of position.

WMUG
05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Interestingly*, that's a completely artificial distincion made up by some grammarian in the 19th century, not one that grew organically and is starting to fade out now; it was never really there. :geek:

*results may vary

Letters
05-01-2015, 04:07 PM
All grammatical rules are made up :shrug:

selassie
05-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Don't worry I am getting scared that NQ is making a lot of sense these days.

:d

WMUG
05-01-2015, 10:38 PM
All grammatical rules are made up :shrug:

No, not linguistically.

Maestro
05-01-2015, 10:40 PM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-keeper-wojciech-szczesny-slapped-4924564 rag rumour?

Power n Glory
05-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Sounds far fetched but his reaction after the goal we conceded was strange.