PDA

View Full Version : What, if anything, can make this season a success?

Heisenberg
12-01-2015, 01:17 AM
It's fair to say that this season hasn't exactly panned out like most of us would have wanted it to. The optimism that was there with the cup win last season, some good signings in the summer and the charity shield win has largely gone up in smoke. Despite slipping back to fourth again last season, it was hard not to be satisfied to some degree because of the cup win. So, with us now at around the halfway point of this season, is there anything that can happen that would salvage this season?

For instance: if we qualifed for the champions league, won the cup and began to see a resurgence in form of players like Özil and Ramsey, would that be enough? If not, what would? I'm trying to be realistic in terms of what can be achieved, to see if there's anything there that would cut the mustard.

Niall_Quinn
12-01-2015, 01:50 AM
Getting Alexis to stay for another season.

fakeyank
12-01-2015, 06:22 AM
Wenger leaving

Gooner23
12-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Winning the Champions League and Wenger stepping down on a high.

Marc Overmars
12-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Win the cup, finish top 4. That's the most we can realistically expect to achieve. While that would satisfy me, it wouldn't change my opinion on Wenger. I think this season has proven once and for all that his downfall wasn't always about a lack of cash to spend.

As for the Champions League, we have a good draw and really ought to make the quarters. Beyond that, any further progression is unlikely unless we strike lucky again. We find it hard enough to beat top sides in one game so fuck knows how we can expect to do it over 2 legs.

Injury Time
12-01-2015, 11:51 AM
An Özil hatrick

Bumble
12-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Success would be winning a cup. Finishing top 4 isn't a success as that is where we really should be finishing. Beating Chelsea in a game would be nice too.

Maestro
12-01-2015, 01:46 PM
signing a hippo

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Finishing third, reaching quarter finals and beyond of Champions League, make decent fist of retaining the FA cup and taking three points in at least one of the three remaining fixtures against Chelsea and the Manchester clubs.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Winning the Champions League and Wenger stepping down on a high.

Are these wet dreams really worth ruining your bed linen for?

The Emirates Gallactico
12-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Give current circumstances I'd be overjoyed with the following by the end of the season:

- Retaining the FA Cup
- Getting to at least the Semi's in the CL
- Getting top four comfortably and no last minute heart attack like in previous seasons
- Bringing in a top top quality DM and CB cover this winter and for us to recapture the defensive resilience of last year.
- Our entire attack to start clicking and for the likes of Ox to start adding goals to his already impressive performances

Not as much as I'd hoped for given optimism levels at the start of the season but I'd consider it a good season nonetheless.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-01-2015, 02:54 PM
signing a hippo

That would give us the necessary bite and aggression we need

Also refutes the idea that bulkiness affects speed, these cumbersome fucks can run

adzzzbatch
12-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Winning the CL would make the season a success.

I expect us to retain the FA Cup this year and top 4 at the very least after the way we started this season, anything less will be a bitter disappointment.

Alpha
12-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Give current circumstances I'd be overjoyed with the following by the end of the season:

- Retaining the FA Cup
- Getting to at least the Semi's in the CL
- Getting top four comfortably and no last minute heart attack like in previous seasons
- Bringing in a top top quality DM and CB cover this winter and for us to recapture the defensive resilience of last year.
- Our entire attack to start clicking and for the likes of Ox to start adding goals to his already impressive performances

Not as much as I'd hoped for given optimism levels at the start of the season but I'd consider it a good season nonetheless.

Your post seem to be the most realistic and more achievable if Wenger and his players want to . But even the league , even though is looks beyond us but we can not give it up completely . Look at what Liverpool did last season . In the beginning , no one talked about them but with 5 games to play , they were the most likely to win it .Chelsea who were said to be running away with the title , are still tumbling around , inviting the likes of City to give them a good fight . There are still many corners to turn , even though our chances are really slim. But as long as mathematically it is still possible , there is no point of giving up .

Xhaka Can’t
12-01-2015, 07:55 PM
If we even come close to winning the league this season (mathematical possibility with three games left), I'll eat my new iPad.

-Xs-
12-01-2015, 08:59 PM
If we even come close to winning the league this season (mathematical possibility with three games left), I'll eat my new iPad.

We did it in 98 with a similar points tally and position at the same stage as now. Quite a different team (and game) now though.

Finishing with some silverware can be considered a success, however, the club will probably think a 4th place finish would do the job.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
12-01-2015, 09:14 PM
If Wenger won the CL.....I reckon an overwhelming majority would want him to stay...not leave on a high.....

...and considering who we'd probably need to beat to do that, there would be at lest an argument.

Marc Overmars
12-01-2015, 10:15 PM
If we won the CL I'd happily gorge on humble pie and proclaim Wenger woz rite.

Letters
13-01-2015, 07:52 AM
I guess if we retained the FA Cup and finish top 4 then the season could be considered fairly successful.
This was the season when we really needed to push on having won a trophy and finished with a decent number of points, but we haven't.
We are picking up a bit now though so we need to try and keep that going, build some momentum and have a good end to the season.

Letters
13-01-2015, 07:52 AM

If we win the CL I'll eat Gary's new iPad.

LDG
13-01-2015, 10:33 AM
If we win the CL I'll eat Gary's new iPad.

I'm quite hungry, so I might just eat Gary's new iPad anyway :shrug:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-01-2015, 10:45 AM

If we won the champions league I'd name my son which i never intend to have (and would only come about as a result of a failed prophylactic) Arsene.

mr_brighterside
13-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Firing wenger :good:

Penguin
13-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Winning a cup is always fun, so it would be a success if we win the FA cup again. Preferably by knocking out two or three of the big teams en route to and in the final. Top four trophy is a must too, especially since we'd be keeping two decent sides out of the Champions league.

There's no point of even thinking we could win the Champions league with Wenger in charge. So a success there would be to make it to the quarter finals without completely humiliating ourselves.

So yeah, exciting times ahead. :coffee:

AFC Leveller
13-01-2015, 07:31 PM
The problem with missing out on the CL is that the likes of Sanchez will probably want to leave and the big sides in Europe will be hovering about.

apart from that it would be the kick up the arse the club needs.

fakeyank
13-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Firing wenger :good:

:gp:

Xhaka Can’t
13-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Getting a player that wins me as many first goalscorer bets at great odds as Pires.

That man paid for my football tickets for years.

GP
13-01-2015, 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-QGNUYL5g

selassie
14-01-2015, 01:13 PM
winning CL

Globalgunner
14-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Top 4, as per usual. Also can we at last beat anyone of City, United and Chelsea in any game this year. Would it be too much to ask to not get embarrassed by any top team in the CL this season. Pretty please?:d