PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Brighton (FA Cup 4th Round)

Master Splinter
25-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Three good goals in amongst some horrendously sloppy and amateurish football in the final third. Still should have been a simple win by about four clear goals, even if they did score from their only two chances.

It's torture watching Flamini play and Chambers is just not suited to playing RB in the long term at all. Ozil slowed everything down as usual and Theo was dreadful apart from the goal. WUMger reverted back to playing the no-shape, raggedy, slow, no-purpose football that has blighted most of our season. We can only stupidly hope that this was a blip and we return to the football we have played over the previous three games where it looked like we had some sort of identity again.

Rosicky was the only one who gave our play any momentum.

Cambridge at home in the next round please.

AFC Leveller
25-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Agree with everything MS.

Ozil slowed us down everytime and gave the ball away a lot, flamini is a nothing player and coq done more than him in the 10 mins he was on.

adzzzbatch
25-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Made much harder work of that than we needed to! I'm very glad we've got away from the game without a reply.

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2015, 06:24 PM
The key players who performed so well last week rightfully punished and dismissed to the bench. The defence that did such a good job pocketing Silva and Aguero correctly dumped in a blender and randomly spat out. We've managed to nip this momentum in the bud before it got out of hand. Good job Wenger.

Yes we won and yes the goals were decent. But there's no feeling at all we are advancing step by step, for every good result there's an inexplicable mess concocted by the manager. That Brighton team was awful and it would have been a major fuck up had we not won that game. But why do we make the straightforward so complicated? It's as if Wenger can't tolerate stability. He's got to be the most frustrating man in football.

Marc Overmars
25-01-2015, 06:25 PM
One step closer to #12 and I'm £180 richer.

Time for a beer tbf.

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2015, 06:26 PM
One step closer to #12 and I'm £180 richer.

Time for a beer tbf.

Wish I had a beer.

Gooner23
25-01-2015, 06:28 PM
We have to revert back to the Man City line up for next game, with maybe Rosicky in for Ramsey and Gibbs to keep his place.

The Emirates Gallactico
25-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Don't see what the big fuss is about tbh. It was Brighton's cup final and whilst they were terrible in the first half, they played the game of their lives in the second.

Given yesterday's results all that mattered was getting through. Ozil and Theo were playing their first full games in a while and so understandably looked rusty. Flamini once again demonstrated why he has no place in the team and makes us thank the lucky stars for Coquelin. Ramsey was decent - hope his injury isn't serious.

Rosicky was MoTM easily. The likes of Ozil and Jack could learn so much from him. I hope Wenger continues giving him one year contracts ala Dennis ........ his experience to the squad is invaluable.

Doesn't matter how we win, as long as we win and get through there's no disruption to our recent growth of confidence so I don't see that being an issue. We're fighting on three fronts now - that's what squads are for.

Xhaka Can’t
25-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Didn't see this. Read the report and saw Brighton had two shots on target. I checked the team sheet and sure enough it was Chesney in goal.

Maybe he had no chance on either, but he never pulls of a showstopper save and it it always sems that x shots on target = x goals when he is in.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2015, 07:19 PM
apalling defending for both goals, szczesny not at fault for either but made absolutely no attempt to save the first one.....hopefully Ospina back between the posts next sunday.

Sloppiness at the back when we've seen that we are capable of so much better

Injury Time
25-01-2015, 08:50 PM
apalling defending for both goals, szczesny not at fault for either but made absolutely no attempt to save the first one.....hopefully Ospina back between the posts next sunday.

Chesney Hawks mole would have reacted better for that second goal, his reading of the game is poor, should've been on that and clattered the playa, instead a bit of a jog out, flop down somewhere near the player allow for the easy finish. I just dont see any improvement (although he did better than Fabianski and Vrom :doh:)

rodders
25-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Did our best to throw it away, just failed to pull it off

Munchies
25-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Phil Neville on MOTD saying he'd 2 foot Rosicky if he did his no look passes on a training pitch against him

Twat :lol:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
25-01-2015, 11:58 PM
After yesterday's results we should just be happy we got through.

One of those bizarre 'anything goes' weekends. Luckily we weren't on the end of an embarrassing defeat.

One thing though. Szczesney got called into action 4 times.

Twice he conceded. Once he flapped at the ball. Another time he put the defender under pressure with his early distribution.

If we want to win the competition we need Ospina in goal. Unfortunately it won't happen as this clown is the cup keeper.

No coincidence that the only time we won a trophy in the last decade is when Szczesney was on the bench.

A Gunner
26-01-2015, 02:01 AM

My problem with Szczesny is that he seems to be rooted so easily, reaction so slow. I really don't know what his problem is, it seems his drive is gone, and maybe he is taking his position for granted.

Letters
26-01-2015, 07:58 AM
:rolleyes:

Phil Neville on MoTD criticising Rosicky's trickery and saying if someone had done that in training he'd have looked to "two foot him or take him out of the game"

:doh:

It's a real head-scratcher that our players keep getting injured with those sorts of attitudes. Skilful players are just great big show offs - we just need to go in hard and use good old English grit and determination. I guess that's why the England team has been so successful down the years while the show-off foreigners haven't won a thing.

Letters
26-01-2015, 08:01 AM
If we want to win the competition we need Ospina in goal. Unfortunately it won't happen as this clown is the cup keeper.

No coincidence that the only time we won a trophy in the last decade is when Szczesney was on the bench.
Yeah. Lucky we had such a solid 'keeper that day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHvVzMTy5Ls

Xhaka Can’t
26-01-2015, 08:02 AM
It's Phil Neville's lame attempt to demonstrate he has something to say - an opinion that isn't bland. It is probably the only thing anyone can ever remember him saying. Ever.

GP
26-01-2015, 08:10 AM
:rolleyes:

Phil Neville on MoTD criticising Rosicky's trickery and saying if someone had done that in training he'd have looked to "two foot him or take him out of the game"

:doh:

It's a real head-scratcher that our players keep getting injured with those sorts of attitudes. Skilful players are just great big show offs - we just need to go in hard and use good old English grit and determination. I guess that's why the England team has been so successful down the years while the show-off foreigners haven't won a thing.

http://i.imgur.com/qw0zqsA.jpg

AFC Leveller
26-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Robbie Savage commentating has got to tbe the worst joke since Michael Owen commentated.

BT defnitely on the wind up with those two.

Phil Neville being allowed to air his oppinion to the public is a criminal act.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Phil Neville embarassed himself last night indeed.

It sums up English football as Letters says.

Niall_Quinn
26-01-2015, 12:16 PM
To be fair to Neville he has also said in the past;

"If he tried that passing on me I'd go in with a two footer"

and;

"If he tried that shooting on me I'd go in with a two footer"

and;

"If he tried that dribbling on me I'd go in with a two footer"

and;

"If he tried that handshake on me I'd go in with a two footer"

and;

"If he tried wearing that kit on me I'd go in with a two footer"

So he's being consistent at least. And to be even fairer, he stuck rigidly to these principles when he was a player.

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
26-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Yeah. Lucky we had such a solid 'keeper that day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHvVzMTy5Ls

Oh look, it's good Christian Letters, a man who does nothing but act confrontational and look for arguments at every opportunity.

What a great model you are! I'm sure your church will be proud of you!

Letters
26-01-2015, 12:39 PM
:lol: You are silly.

Niall_Quinn
26-01-2015, 12:40 PM
However, Özil was overshadowed here by Rosicky, who buzzed around the pitch playing some absolutely sublime passes. There was a backheel deep inside his own half, a couple of outrageous scoops with the outside of his foot, and a succession of extravagant no-look passes, including one to Theo Walcott, in the buildup to the Czech’s volleyed goal. Such was the frequency of those “blind” passes, Rosicky would have fooled the Brighton defenders more successfully if he’d actually started looking the way he was passing. - Michael Cox in the Guardian

No doubt Rosicky had a great game, but it would have been so much better if he'd have cut out the showboating shit and use his talent in a simple and therefore even more decisive manner. It has quickly been forgotten he was responsible for one of the goals conceded. It has also been forgotten that his trickery led to a loss of possession on several occasions, when the simple option would have retained the ball. We all like to see this sort of fancy stuff I suppose, it's entertaining. But can he do it against a top PL team without being mercilessly punished? At the risk of being a spoilsport, I'd rather the players became well drilled in what's repeatable, I'd rather we worked on cutting out the sloppy passing that still plagues our game.

Well done Rosicky, nice display against Brighton. But settle down now as there are much tougher tests to come. Same goes for all the players of course, particularly Ramsey who is prone to the same sort of antics and Wilshere if he ever makes it back. Less flicks and tricks thanks, more surgical strikes please.

selassie
26-01-2015, 12:49 PM
We won yay.

Not sure why we gave up defending in the second half though, it was pretty horrific and we were clinging on a bit at the end.